Lewis Owen, who distinguished himself by his writings against the Jesuits, was born in Meirionethshire in 1572. He went abroad, and entered the Society of Jesuits in Spain, but being disgusted at their behaviour and principles, he withdrew from them, and made use of the information which he had gained in exposing them in his works, which are the “Running Register.” “Unmasking of all popish priests,” &c., and “Speculum Jesuiticum,” which abound in details to their disadvantage. He died in 1631.
Morgan Owen, D.D., was a native of South Wales, and was educated at Oxford, where he graduated. Having taken orders, he obtained various preferment, and in 1640 he was installed bishop of Llandaff. Onthe breaking out of the civil war, he retired to Glasallt, Caermarthenshire, and was a very great sufferer on account of his loyalty. On receiving the news of the death of his patron, Archbishop Laud, he died suddenly soon after he heard it, in 1645, and he was buried in the same county.
John Humphreys Parry, an ingenious antiquary, and one of the most pleasing and learned writers of the present age, was born at Mold, in Flintshire, in 1787, and his father was rector of the neighbouring parish of Llanverras. After an University education, he became a member of the Temple in 1807, and in due time he was called to the bar in 1810. He obtained considerable reputation in his profession, and gained great praise by the publication of the “Cambro Briton,” in three volumes, which appeared periodically, and the value of which was greatly enhanced by his valuable and judicious notes; he was the author also of the “Cambrian Plutarch,” and several prize essays. He was appointed the editor of the transactions of the London Cymmrodorion, a volume of which appeared under his auspices. His native country sustained a great loss by his death, which took place in 1825, in a most melancholy manner: a drunken man knocked him down in the street; he fell with his head against the pavement, and was killed upon the spot, leaving a wife and five children unprovided for.
Richard Parry, D.D., was born at Ruthin, Denbighshire, in the year 1578, and was educated at Westminster School, under Camden, from whence he was elected a student of Christ Church, Oxford; at the age of nineteen, he became chancellor of Bangor, vicar of Gresford, and then dean of Bangor. On the accession of James the First, who had a high opinion of his learning, he nominated him to the bishopric of St. Asaph in 1604. He was a prelate of great learning and piety; and he revised the Bible which was translated by Dr. Morgan, and published a second edition in 1620, which is now the standard of the Welsh translation of the Bible. He founded a scholarship in Jesus College, Oxford, to be held by one who has been educated at Ruthin School, where he was the second who held the mastership after its foundation by Dean Goodman. He died at Diserth, near St. Asaph, in September, 1623.
Thomas Pennant, the celebrated antiquary and naturalist, was born at Bychton, in Flintshire, in the year 1726. He studied at Queen’s College, Oxford, and he afterwards removed to Oriel, which he left without taking a degree. Being of an active and talented mind, he imbibed early a taste for natural history; and the first effort of his pen appeared in an account of an earthquake which was felt at Downing, and it was published in the “Philosophical Transactions.” In1754 he was elected a fellow of the Antiquarian Society, and in 1757, at the instance of the great Linnæus, he was also elected fellow of the Royal Society at Upsal. He published the first edition of his “British Zoology” in 1761. He soon after visited the Continent, where he became intimate with Buffon, Pallas, and several other distinguished naturalists. In 1768 a new edition of the British Zoology appeared, and it was successively followed by his other works on Natural History, and “Tours in Scotland and Wales.” In 1790 was published his “Account of London,” which was received with great avidity, and rapidly passed through several editions. His works are very numerous, and will ever remain a lasting proof of his splendid talents, both as an accurate observer of nature, and diligent antiquary. Several of his works were translated into German, and other Continental languages; and he was frequently consulted by the great naturalists of his time, and his opinions recorded in their publications. His accounts have always been looked upon as most authentic; and he holds the first rank as a writer from the popular and interesting style of his narrative, and his incomparable skill in the selection of subjects for illustration. He may be esteemed as one of the greatest patrons of the art of engraving, for upwards of one thousand plates were used in the embellishment of his works. Heended an active and useful life at the family seat of Downing, near Holywell, in December, 1798.
Sir Thomas Picton, a British general, was born at Poyston, Pembrokeshire, in 1758. Having entered the army, he served with great reputation in the West Indies; and his skill and gallantry were conspicuously displayed in a long service of forty-five years, both there, and in the marshes of Holland, and in the peninsula of Spain and Portugal. On the morning of the battle of Waterloo, he fell gloriously leading his division to a charge of bayonets, by which one of the most serious attacks made by the enemy was defeated. After his death a wound was discovered, which he had received two days before, and which he heroically concealed, having dressed it himself only with a piece of torn handkerchief. He died greatly lamented, and his meritorious life was distinguished for his zeal in the service of his country.
Henry Parrywas born in Flintshire. He was educated at Gloucester Hall, Oxford, where he took his degrees in arts, and his degree of B.D., at Jesus College, in 1597. He travelled much abroad, and on his return, he obtained the rectory of Rhoscolyn, in Anglesea, in 1601, and in 1612 he was installed canon of Bangor. He died in 1617. He augmented and published a “Welsh Rhetoric, or Egluryn Fraethineb,” which was originally written by William Salusbury, and is commended by Dr. Davies.
Hester Lynch Piozzi, was the daughter of John Salusbury, of Bodvel, in Caernarvonshire. She was a distinguished authoress, and well known as a friend of Johnson, who made a Tour in Wales on a visit to her. She was first married, in 1763, to Mr. Thrale, member of parliament for Southwark, and after his death, she became the wife of Signor Piozzi, a Florentine. Her works are rather numerous, but the best known perhaps are her “Anecdotes of Johnson,” with whom she was a great favourite until her second marriage. She died a widow, at Clifton, in 1821, at a very advanced age.
David Powel, D.D., was a native of Denbighshire. In 1568 he was sent to be educated at Oxford, and after the erection of Jesus College, in 1571, he removed thither, and having proceeded through his bachelor’s degree, he graduated M.A. in 1576. Having taken orders, he obtained the livings of Rhiwabon and Llanvyllin, and became a prebendary of St. Asaph; in 1584 he was appointed chaplain to Sir Henry Sidney, then president of Wales. His first work, “Caradog’s History of Wales,” quarto, appeared in 1584, which had been partly translated from the Welsh by Humphrey Llwyd, and was finished by Powel, who illustrated it with annotations. This was followed in the following year by “Pontici Virunii Historia Britannica,” octavo. He was also author of “De Britannica Historia recte intelligenda Epistola ad Gul. Fleetwood, Civ. Lond. Recordatorem.” He is said to have undertaken thecompilation of a Welsh Dictionary, but he died before it was completed, which event took place in 1598.
John Pricewas born of Welsh parents in London, in the year 1600. He was educated at Westminster School, and Christ Church, Oxford, whence he removed to Florence, having become a Catholic, and he was there admitted doctor of civil law. He held the appointment of keeper of the ducal cabinet of medals and antiquities, and subsequently he became professor of Greek at Pisa. He was a very ingenious and learned critic, as his “Commentaries on the New Testament” and “Notes on Apuleius” testify. He died at a convent, in Rome, in the year 1676.
Richard Price, D.D., was a native of Glamorganshire, and was born at Llangunnor in 1723. He was educated at Talgarth, and afterwards removed to a Presbyterian academy in London. He became pastor of a congregation at Hackney; and in 1769 he was complimented with the diploma of doctor in divinity by the University of Glasgow. He was the author of several mathematical, statistical, and political works; and for one of them he was presented with a gold snuff-box, containing a vote of thanks by the corporation of London. He was also fellow of the Royal Society, in whose Transactions he wrote several papers. He died in 1791.
Sir John Price, L.L.D., was a native of Breconshire.He was a learned and ingenious antiquary, and was author of “Historiæ Britannicæ Defensio,” quarto, which was written in answer to Polydore Virgil, and was published after his death by his son, in 1573. He was one of the King’s council in the court of the marches, and was one of the commissioners employed by Henry the Eighth, to survey the monasteries that were to be dissolved. He died in 1553.
Robert Price, D.D., an eminent prelate, was the son of Colonel Price, of Rhiwlas, in Meirionethshire, where he was born. He was educated at Christ Church, Oxford, and after taking orders, was for some time vicar of Towyn, in Meirionethshire, and afterwards chancellor of the diocese of Bangor. He was promoted to the bishopric of Ferns, in Ireland; and on the death of Bishop Roberts, in 1665, he was nominated to succeed him in the see of Bangor; but his death took place before his election was completed, and he was buried in the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Dublin.
Rees Prichard, the celebrated author of “Canwyll y Cymry,” was born at Llanymddyvri, Caermarthenshire. At the age of eighteen, he was entered at Jesus College, Oxford, in 1597, and graduated B.A. in 1602, and obtained the vicarage of his own parish. In 1613 he was instituted to the rectory of Llanedy, in the diocese of St. David’s; and he was chaplain tothe Earl of Essex. In the following year he was made prebendary of the collegiate church of Brecon, and in 1626 chancellor of St. David’s. As long as the Welsh language endures, will the memory of Prichard be kept with gratitude; and few productions ever caused such a profitable and rapid change in improving the morals of his countrymen. He died in 1644.
Edmund Prys, M.A., a distinguished Welsh poet, was born in the year 1541. After an academical education, he entered the church, and in 1572 he was made rector of Festiniog, and in 1576 archdeacon of Meirioneth. In 1602 he obtained a canonry in St. Asaph. He was a very learned man, and particularly distinguished himself by an elegant metrical version of the Psalms, which is still in use. There are also extant fifty-four controversial poems between the Archdeacon and a contemporary Bard, William Cynwal, both holding a high rank in the first class of the Welsh poets of that age. It is also said that Cynwal fell a victim to the poignancy of the Archdeacon’s satire. The last poem of the fifty-four is a most pathetic elegy, composed by Prys when the news of his rival’s death reached him; he was also an elegant Latin poet, and a specimen of his talent is prefixed to Dr. Davies’s Welsh and Latin Grammar. He died at Maentwrog about the year 1622.
Abraham Rees, D.D., the author of the well known Cyclopædia, which bears his name, was born at Montgomery, in 1743. His father being a Dissenting minister, placed him first under Dr. Jenkins, of Caermarthen, and subsequently at the Hoxton Academy, where his brilliant talents and rapid progress procured his being appointed at an early age mathematical tutor to the institution, and afterwards resident tutor, which place he retained for twenty-two years. He then removed, and became resident tutor of the Natural Sciences at the Dissenting Academy at Hackney, in 1786. He was minister of a Dissenting congregation in St. Thomas’s, Southwark, and in the Old Jewry. He was a fellow of the Royal and Linnean Societies, and he obtained his doctor’s degree in Edinburgh, at the express recommendation of the illustrious Robertson, the historian. He was author of some other works, besides the valuable and learned “Cyclopædia.” He died in June, 1825, in his eighty-second year.
John Davydd Rhys, M.D., an eminent grammarian, was born in the Isle of Anglesea, in 1534. He was educated at Christ Church, Oxford, and entered the medical profession; he removed to Sienna, where he took his doctor’s degree. While there, he greatly distinguished himself by his skill in the Italian language, the fruits of which are “De Italicæ linguæ pronunciatione,” which was printed in Padua, and “Rules forobtaining the Latin tongue,” printed at Venice, in Italian. His valuable “Welsh Grammar” was published in 1592, folio. His death took place in the year 1609.
Peter Roberts, an eminent divine, and writer on British history, was born at Rhiwabon, Denbighshire, in 1760. He was educated at the Grammar-school of St. Asaph, and removed thence to Trinity College, Dublin, where his abilities soon became conspicuous. He applied himself to the study of astronomy and the oriental languages; and at one time it was supposed that he would have succeeded Dr. Usher, as professor of astronomy in that University. He became afterwards private tutor to several noblemen and gentlemen of rank; and in 1800, was published, his “Harmony of the Epistles,” a work of exceedingly high character and labour, which the University of Cambridge printed at their own expense. Having been presented to the living of Llanarmon, he dedicated his leisure time to the elucidation of the antiquities of his native country. The fruits of his labours in this department are well known—“Collectanea Cambrica,” “Early History of the Cymry,” and “Cambrian Popular Antiquities.” He was presented also with the living of Madely, in Shropshire, by Lord Crew. The living of Llanarmon he subsequently exchanged for the rectory of Halkin, Flintshire, where he died in 1819. As an excellentcritic in his native language, and equally so in Hebrew and Rabbinical learning, his works are a sufficient proof; and his “Letters to Volney” show to advantage the depth of his reasoning powers and scientific acquirements.
William Roberts, D.D., was a native of Denbighshire, where he was born in 1585. He was educated at Queen’s College, Cambridge, where he became fellow, and subsequently sub-dean of Wells, and rector of Llandyrnog. He was made bishop of Bangor in 1637. During the great rebellion he suffered much for his loyalty, and was deprived of all his benefices, and all the church lands were sequestered; but, however, he was restored to all in 1660. He was a great benefactor to his cathedral, in which he erected an organ, and bequeathed money for beautifying it. He founded an exhibition for a scholar from the diocese of Bangor, in Queen’s College, Cambridge, and a similar one in Jesus College, Oxford. He left also 200l.to be distributed among two parishes in the suburbs of London, which were visited by the plague. He died near Denbigh, in the year 1665.
Nicholas Robinsonwas a native of Aberconwy, in Caernarvonshire, and was educated at Queen’s College, Cambridge, where he obtained a fellowship, and was appointed chaplain to Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury. He was made dean of Bangor in 1556, andobtained the sinecure rectory of Northop, in Flintshire, in 1562, and he was likewise archdeacon of Meirioneth. In 1566 he was raised to the bishopric of Bangor; and he held the living of Whitney, in Oxfordshire, in commendam. He died in 1585.
Henry Rowlands, D.D., was born in Mellteyrn, in Caernarvonshire, in 1551, and was educated at New College, Oxford. He obtained the rectory of his native parish in 1572, and subsequently of Launton, in Oxfordshire. He was advanced to the deanery of Bangor in 1593, and was consecrated bishop of the same diocese in 1598. He was a most munificent benefactor to his cathedral, and bestowed great sums in improving and adorning it. He also founded two fellowships in Jesus College, Oxford; and bequeathed money for the foundation of a school in his native place. He died in 1616.
Henry Rowlands, B.A., the author of the valuable and learned work entitled “Mona Antiqua Restaurata,” was a native of the Isle of Anglesea. Having taken orders, he became vicar of Llanidan. He devoted his leisure time to the examination of the antiquities which abound in his native island; and his researches afford important information concerning the language and manners of the Cymmry. He endeavours to prove that Môn was the metropolitan seat of the Druids; and his work first appeared in 1723, and a secondedition was published in London, in 1766. He died in 1722.
Grufydd Roberts, a learned grammarian, distinguished himself by the publication of a valuable “Welsh Grammar,” which was printed at Milan, in 1567. Nothing is known of his history, besides that he was educated at Sienna, in Italy, under the patronage of William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke.
William Salusbury, an eminent antiquary, was a native of Denbighshire, where he was born in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. He was educated at Oxford, and entered the profession of the law. He assisted in translating the New Testament into Welsh, and he published also a Welsh version of the “Epistles and Gospels,” besides a “Dictionary,” and a “Treatise on Rhetoric.” He died in 1570.
George Stepney, whose parents were of old families in Pembrokeshire, was born in 1663. Having been entered on the foundation of Westminster School, he removed in due time to Trinity College, Cambridge, and while there, he acquired the friendship of Mr. Montague, afterwards Earl of Halifax, and through his patronage he was employed by government on several important and confidential missions to the courts of Brandenburgh, Vienna, Dresden, Mentz, and Cologne, and to the congress of Frankfort. He was again employed on an embassy to Holland in 1706;and after completing it successfully, he returned to England in the following year, and a few months after he died in Chelsea, and was buried in Westminster Abbey. He was a very ingenious poet, and ranked high as a political writer; several of his works obtained for him great credit.
Charles Symmons, D.D., was born in Caerdigan, in the year 1749, which borough was represented by his father in three successive parliaments. He was educated at Westminster School, and the University of Glasgow, whence he subsequently removed to Clare Hall, Cambridge, and in 1776 he took the degree of bachelor of divinity at that University. Having given offence by declaring some Whiggish principles in a sermon, which destroyed all his prospects of promotion, and fearing some obstacles when he proceeded to his doctor’s degree, he removed to Jesus College, Oxford, where he took it in 1794. He was presented to the living of Narberth and Lanpeter. As an author, the greater portion of his works consisted of poetry, and he published “Milton’s prose works, with a Biographical Memoir.” He died at Bath, in 1826.
William Thomaswas born in Wales, and was educated at Oxford, where he took the degree of bachelor of canon law in 1529. Being obliged for some cause to leave the kingdom, he travelled in Italy; and on his return to England, he published a “History”of that country, in 1549, quarto. He was appointed clerk of the council to King Edward the Sixth, who bestowed upon him, though a layman, a prebend in St. Paul’s Cathedral, and a living in Wales. On the accession of Queen Mary, he was deprived of his office and benefices, which treatment is supposed to have instigated him to join in the rebellion of Sir Thomas Wyatt, for which he was arrested, and being convicted, was executed at Tyburn. He was also author of several less important works.
William Thomas, D.D., was a native of South Wales, where he was born in 1613. He was educated at Jesus College, Oxford, where he proceeded through his degrees. Having taken orders, he became vicar of Penbryn, in the time of the great rebellion. On the Restoration, he was appointed precentor of St. David’s, and rector of Llanbedr, in Pembrokeshire, and subsequently dean of Worcester. He was consecrated bishop of St. David’s in 1677, and in 1683 he was translated to Worcester, where he died in 1689.
Josiah Tucker, D.D., an eminent political writer, was the son of a Welsh gentleman of property, and was born in 1711. He was educated at St. John’s College, Oxford, and entered into holy orders, being appointed to the curacy of All Saints, Bristol; he afterwards became chaplain to Dr. Butler, bishop of that diocese, by whom he was appointed to the rectoryof St. Stephen’s, in the same city. He was author of numerous political and controversial essays, some sermons, and a multitude of treatises, and publications on commerce and religion. He obtained a prebend in Bristol Cathedral, and the deanery of Gloucester, in 1758. He died of an attack of paralysis at the advanced age of eighty-eight, in the year 1799.
William Tyndale, the first translator of the Holy Scriptures into the English language, was born in Wales, in 1500, and after a learned education, he was entered at Magdalen Hall, Oxford; he was afterwards a canon of Wolsey’s New College of Christ’s Church, whence he was ejected on account of his religious principles, which were liberal, and according with the doctrines of Luther, who began to flourish at that time. He took a degree in Cambridge, whither he had removed from Oxford; but his opinions becoming known, rendered him obnoxious to some of the dignitaries, and being reprimanded, he thought it prudent to retire to the Continent, in order to publish his translation of the Testament, which appeared in 1526, and was printed at Antwerp. He commenced afterwards the translation of the Pentateuch, and some other books of the Old Testament; but his first publication, of which a second edition was widely diffused over England, caused him to be marked as a victim to Popish bigotry. Henry the Eighth employeda man to betray him to the Emperor, and by his decree he was burnt as a heretic at Augsburgh in 1536. He was author of some other works; and his Testament hath by many eminent divines been declared never to have been surpassed in clearness, and noble simplicity of style.
Henry Vaughan, commonly known by his assumed name of the Silurist, was born at Newton, in Brecknockshire, in the year 1621. He received his academical education at Jesus College, Oxford, and afterwards settled in his native country, where he practised medicine, although he does not appear to have taken any degree in arts or medicine at the University. His writings consist of a poem entitled “The Mount of Olives,” “Thalia Rediviva,” “Olor Iscanus,” and “Silex Scintillans, or The Bleeding Heart.” He died in 1695, in the seventy-fourth year of his age.
Thomas Vaughanwas the brother of the above (Henry), and a fellow of Jesus College. He was a man of great natural abilities as well as learning; he was chiefly known from some curious “Treatises on Alchymy and Judicial Astrology,” to which, although a clergyman, he seems to have been devoted. According to Wood’s Athenæ Oxonenses, he had sense enough not to publish them in his in own name, but under the assumed name of Eugenius Philalethes; they are,however, now forgotten. He died rector of St. Bridget’s, Brecknockshire.
Sir John Vaughan, an eminent and learned chief justice of Common Pleas, was born in Caerdiganshire, in 1608. He was educated at Worcester School, whence he removed to Christ Church, Oxford, and subsequently to the Inner Temple. During the civil wars he lived in retirement; but after the Restoration he was elected member of parliament for the county of Caerdigan, and in 1668 made chief justice of the Court of Common Pleas. His death took place in 1674. Sir John Vaughan’s “Reports and Arguments” in the Common Pleas are all special cases, and ably reported. They were first printed in 1677, and again by his son, Edward Vaughan, in 1706.
Richard Vaughan, D.D., an eminent and learned prelate, was born in Caernarvonshire, and received his academical education at St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he graduated. Having entered the church, he became archdeacon of Middlesex, and obtained also a canonry in Wells Cathedral, and in 1595 he was raised to the bishopric of Bangor. Two years after, he was translated to the see of Chester, and thence to London, where he died in 1607.
Robert Vaughan, a distinguished and learned antiquary, was a member of a very ancient family in Meirionethshire, and was born at the family seat ofHengwrt, in that county. From all his ample materials, he only published a small tract entitled “British Antiquities Revived.” He formed a noble and invaluable collection of Welsh manuscripts, which still remain at Hengwrt. He died in 1667.
William Vaughan, an ingenious Welsh poet, was a member of a very ancient and illustrious family, who have lived for several centuries successively at Golden Grove, in Caermarthenshire. He was born in 1577, and having gone through the usual course of academical education at Jesus College, Oxford, took the degree of L.L.D. in that University. He was the author of a variety of miscellaneous poems, the principal of which are a metrical version of the “Psalms and Solomon’s Song,” “The Golden Grove Moralized,” &c. Previously to his decease, he went to Newfoundland, where he died in 1640.
John Walters, M.A., an eminent Welsh philologist and divine, was the author of a valuable “English and Welsh Dictionary,” which was published in quarto, in 1794. It has since gone through two other editions, and he wrote a learned “Dissertation on the Welsh Language,” printed in 1771, besides some sermons. He was rector of Llandochan, in Glamorgan, and died in the year 1797.
Daniel Williams, an eminent theological writer, and Presbyterian divine, was a native of Wrexham, inDenbighshire, where he was born in 1644. Not having received an education in his earlier youth, he made up the deficiency by his unwearied diligence and application; and devoting himself to the study of divinity, he was, at the age of nineteen, ordained a preacher among the Presbyterians. After officiating in various parts in England, he went to Ireland as chaplain to the Countess of Meath, and presided over a congregation in Dublin, where he continued for twenty years; and married a lady of an honourable family, and a considerable estate. He subsequently removed to London, where he was chosen minister of a congregation of Presbyterians in Bishopsgate-street; and in 1701, having become a widower, he married a second wife, who survived him. His learning and piety being held in great esteem, he was honoured with the diploma of D.D. by the Universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow; and he bequeathed estates for the support of six Presbyterian students in the latter. His library, together with a sum of money for its increase, was left by him, with the liberal view of founding a public library in London, and which led to the establishment of the celebrated Red cross street Institution, which was opened in 1729. He died in 1716, and left numerous legacies for charitable purposes. His works were published in six volumes, octavo.
David Williams, a learned and ingenious writer,was born in Cardiganshire. Having been educated at a Dissenting Academy, he was appointed minister of a congregation at Frome, Somersetshire, and afterwards at Exeter, then at Highgate, near London. While in the metropolis, he distinguished himself by numerous publications on education and morality. He left his ministerial office among the Dissenters, and becoming sceptical with regard to the Christian religion, he opened in 1776, a chapel for the celebration of public worship, on the principles of natural religion, in Margaret-street, Cavendish-square. The novelty of the institution at first attracted the curiosity of the public, but it was finally closed, and the lecturer turned his attention to private tuition. He has obtained great and deserved reputation as being the founder of the Literary Fund. He died in June, 1816. Among his numerous works, several of which have been translated into German, is a valuable “History of Monmouthshire,” in two volumes, quarto.
Edward Williams, whose bardic appellation was Iolo Morganwg, was a native of Glamorganshire, where he was born in March, 1745. His father being a stone-mason, brought him up to the same trade; but even in his early youth he was remarkable for avoiding all diversions with boys of his own age, and was pensive and thoughtful, eager in receiving the instructions of an excellent mother, who grounded him well in theEnglish language. In 1770, on the death of his mother, he left Wales, and travelled over several counties in England, in the exercise of his calling, and studying architecture and other sciences connected with it. He resided for several years in London, Bristol, and other towns, and returned to Wales, where he married in 1781. His first productions were Welsh poetry, and he was a man of wonderful abilities as a Welsh and English poet, and a skilful antiquary; he wrote English with great ease and elegance. In 1794 he published two volumes of English poetry, which consist of original compositions, and translations from the Welsh, and in conjunction with Dr. Pughe and Mr Owain Jones, edited the “Myvyrian Archaiology.” He has left several valuable works in manuscript, especially materials for a History of Wales, which it is greatly to be lamented was not published in his lifetime. He died on the 17th of December, 1827, aged eighty-two.
Griffith Williamswas a native of Caernarvon, in North Wales, where he was born in the year 1589. He was educated at Jesus’ College, Cambridge, and having taken orders, he was appointed to the lectureship of St. Peter’s, Cheapside, but his preaching so offended the Puritans, that they procured his suspension. He obtained a living in Wales, and became chaplain to the King, prebendary of Westminster, and dean ofBangor. In 1641 he was created bishop of Ossory; and his death took place at Kilkenny. He was the author of several works on divinity.
John Williams, Archbishop of York, and Lord Keeper of the Great Seal, was born at Aberconwy, in 1582. He was educated at Ruthin School, and St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he soon distinguished himself by his application and splendid abilities, which were rewarded with a fellowship. He was ordained in 1609, and soon after he obtained the rectory of Grafton, in Northamptonshire. Being appointed chaplain to Lord Ellesmere, then Lord Chancellor, he ingratiated himself so much with his patron by his talents, that he obtained through him rapid preferments, and was appointed one of the royal chaplains. In 1619 he was made dean of Salisbury, and soon after exchanged it for the deanery of Westminster; in a short time he was appointed lord keeper, and immediately afterwards he was raised to the bishopric of Lincoln. He retained great influence at court during the reign of James the First, and was the chief cause of the promotion of Laud to the episcopal bench, who, however, ungratefully joined in various persecutions to which the Archbishop was subjected for several years; but his worth and excellent character prevailed: he was restored to favour, and in 1641 he was raised to the archiepiscopal see of York.During the civil war, he fortified Conwy Castle for the King’s use; but after a seige, being surprised, he was compelled to give it up on honourable terms to the parliamentary troops. He died at Gloddaeth, near Conwy, on his birth-day, in 1650. He was the author of several theological works, and an interesting “History of his Life” was published by Bishop Hacket, who had been his chaplain; and a more condensed biography subsequently by Stephens, and also by Phillips.
John Williams, L.L.D., was born at Llanbedr-pont Stephen in 1727. He was educated at the Grammar School of the same town, where he acquired a competent knowledge of the classics; being strongly inclined to the ministry, he was entered at the age of nineteen at a Dissenting Academy, in Caermarthen, where he went through the usual studies to be qualified for the office of a minister. In 1752 he went to Stamford, Lincolnshire, at the unanimous request of a congregation of Protestant Dissenters, and in 1755 he removed to a similar situation in Berkshire. Here he completed his “Concordance to the Greek New Testament,” and afterwards he removed to Sydenham, where he officiated for the long period of twenty-eight years. In 1777 he was chosen the curator of Redcross-street Library; and the lease of his chapel expiring, he retired to Islington, where he remained until his death, which took place in 1798. In his character, both public andprivate, he was esteemed for the conscientious discharge of his duty as a Christian minister, and for his literary acquirements. He published several works on theology and other subjects, which are of great merit, and enriched with valuable information.
Roger Williamswas a native of Wales, where he was born in the year 1599. He was entered for the church, and was accordingly educated for it; but adopting puritanical principles, he emigrated to North America, where he founded the town of Providence. He distinguished himself by his zeal for the conversion of the Indians to Christianity, of whose language he published a very useful “Manual and Glossary,” which has been frequently reprinted. His colony thrived rapidly, as he was decidedly opposed to all restraint in religion, and granted to all who settled there free liberty of conscience. He died in 1683.
Thomas Williamswas a native of Caernarvonshire, and received an University education at Oxford. He practised as a physician at Trevriw, near Llanrwst, and he wrote a “Welsh and Latin,” and “Latin and Welsh Dictionary,” which he left in manuscript; and it was subsequently published in 1632, with many additions and corrections by Dr. John Davies. He made a good collection of pedigrees, which he entitled “Priv achau holl Gymru Benbaladr,” i.e. The PrimitivePedigrees of all Wales. In 1606 he was proceeded against as a Papist in the court of Bangor, and in the following year he was excommunicated. There was written also by him a large “List of Plants” in Latin, Welsh, and English.
William Williamswas a native of the Isle of Anglesea. He was educated at Oxford, and in 1652 he was elected scholar of Jesus’ College, whence he removed to Gray’s Inn. In 1667 he was appointed recorder of the city of Chester. When the Popish plot broke out, he sided with the party then dominant; and in 1678 he was chosen one of the representatives of the City of Chester, and again for the parliament which sat in 1679, and a third time in 1680; in the two last parliaments he was chosen speaker of the House of Commons. After the Presbyterian plot broke out in 1683, he became an advocate for them and the fanatics. When James the Second came to the crown, he was taken into favour, and was made solicitor-general instead of Sir Thomas Powis, who was appointed attorney-general in 1687. Williams was knighted on this occasion, and soon afterwards created a baronet. He has published several of his eloquent speeches, besides some other works.
Richard Wilson, the eminent landscape painter, was the son of the Rev. John Wilson, rector of Penegoes, in Montgomeryshire, where he was born in1714. Having received a good classical education, he was sent at the age of fifteen to London, where he was apprenticed to a portrait painter: and he set up for himself in London, and painted the portraits of the Prince of Wales and Duke of York, who were then under the tuition of Bishop Hayter, of Norwich. Not obtaining any great success in the metropolis, he went to Italy, and meeting with the Earl of Dartmouth, who saw the young painter’s great abilities, proposed that he should travel with him to Naples, which being readily accepted, enabled him to study some of the finest specimens of painting. Here also he became conscious of his particular excellence in landscape painting, at the height of which branch he soon arrived. His reputation having become now very great, he returned to England in 1755. Although his abilities were esteemed, he was far from obtaining the patronage which his extraordinary talents deserved, and it was not until after his death that his works were duly appreciated. After a long period of neglect, and insult, caused by the mean jealousy of rivals, he died near Mold, in 1782, in the sixty-eighth year of his age.
William Worthington, D.D., an eminent theological writer, was born in Meirionethshire in 1703. He received his education at the Grammar School, in Oswestry, and Jesus’ College, Oxford, where he proceededthrough his degrees. Having taken orders, he obtained various preferment from Dr. Hare, then bishop of St. Asaph, he was rector of Hope, and Darowen, and had a prebendal stall in the Cathedral of St. Asaph, and another in York, to which he was appointed by Archbishop Drummond, whose chaplain he had been. Among the variety of his works, the principal are an “Essay on Redemption,” “Evidences of Christianity,” and “Sermons on Boyle’s Lectures.” He died in 1778.
Sir John Wynnof Gwydir, was born near Llanrwst, in the year 1553. He was made a baronet on the creation of that honour in 1615. He lived in retirement, and wrote a curious and valuable work, entitled “The History of the Gwydir family,” which was first printed in 1773, octavo. He was a member of the council of the marches, and was well versed in the history and antiquities of his native country, and a great patron of its literature. Inigo Jones was born on his estate, and enjoyed the patronage of the family who first brought him to notice. He died in 1626, in the seventy-third year of his age.
John Wynne, was born at Caerwys, Flintshire, and was educated for some time at Northop School, from whence he removed to Ruthin, and received his academical education at Jesus’ College, Oxford, wherehe obtained a fellowship. He became rector of Llangelynin, in Caernarvonshire, and prebendary of Brecon. He was appointed also the Lady Margaret’s professor of divinity, and by virtue of that, he had a prebend in Worcester Cathedral in 1705. He was elected principal of Jesus’ College in 1712, and was advanced to the bishopric of St. Asaph in 1714. He was a very learned divine, and extremely liberal in the repairing of his cathedral, which had suffered great damage by a violent storm soon after his appointment. He was translated to the diocese of Bath and Wells in 1727, and died in July, 1743.
John Huddleston Wynne, an eminent writer on miscellaneous subjects, was born of a respectable family in Wales in 1743. He was brought up to the profession of a printer, which he followed for some time in London; he afterwards obtained a commission in the army, which he quitted and commenced author. His principal works are “A General History of the British Empire in America,” and “A History of Ireland.” He died in 1788. His uncle,
Richard Wynne, M.A., of All Soul’s College, Oxford, was rector of St. Alphage, London, and of Ayot St. Lawrence, in Hertfordshire. He published the New Testament in English, carefully collated with the Greek, two volumes, octavo. He died in 1799.
Philip Yorke, an eminent antiquarian, and author of a learned work entitled “The Royal Tribes of Wales,” was born at Erddig, near Wrexham, in Denbighshire, in 1743. After a liberal education, he was entered at Benet College, Cambridge, where he graduated M.A. He represented successively in parliament the boroughs of Halston and Grantham. He died in 1804.
John Bradford, an ingenious poet, who was admitted a disciple of the bardic chair of Glamorgan, in 1730, being then a boy; presided in the same chair 1760, and died in 1780. He wrote several moral pieces of great merit, some of which he printed in the “Eurgrawn,” a magazine then carried on in South Wales.
Rev. Thomas Charles, A.B., the son of a respectable farmer, in the parish of Llanvihangel, South Wales, was born October 14, 1755. When he was about ten or twelve years of age, his parents entertaining thoughts of bringing him up to the ministry, sent him to school at Llanddowror, about two miles off, where he continued three or four years. When about fourteen years of age, his father sent him to the academy, at Caermarthen, which he left for Oxford in 1775, where he remained about four years. On leaving Oxford, he was engaged to a curacy in Somersetshire, which hegave up in 1783, and removed to Wales, after a ministry of five years. After Mr. Charles returned to Wales, he was engaged successively to serve several churches in the neighbourhood of Bala (where he then resided), at each of which, his evangelical preaching giving great offence to the inhabitants, his services were declined. Mr. Charles having been so many times deprived of the opportunity of exercising his ministry felt no small perplexity of mind: his active disposition would not allow him to remain wholly unoccupied. The ignorance which prevailed among the people at Bala excited his sympathy; he invited them to his house to give them religious instruction. He was offered the use of the chapel by the Calvinistic Methodists, who were then, and for some time after, connected with the Established Church: this offer he accepted, and there he instructed and catechised the numerous children who attended. In the year 1785, Mr. Charles commenced preaching among the Methodists, from which period to the time of his death his ministerial labours were very great; the effect of which are still to be seen, and will probably continue to appear for ages to come. Shortly after Mr. Charles left the church, he began establishing circulating schools; they succeeded wonderfully, the whole country being filled with them. The fruits of these schools were numerous Sunday schools throughout the Principality.Mr. Charles prepared two editions of the Welsh Bible, one in duodecimo, published in 1806, and another in octavo, completed just before his death. But his greatest effort as an author was a “Scriptural Dictionary,” four volumes, octavo. Mr. Charles was the principal instrument in originating the Bible Society; the exciting or moving cause of this noble institution was the great want of Bibles, especially in North Wales. He died October 5, 1814, in the fifty-ninth year of his age.
Robert Davies, better known by the appellation of Bardd Nantglyn, was born about the year 1769. At an early period of his life he became a votary of the Awen, which propensity was strengthened by his intimacy with Twm o’r Nant, who always expressed a just tribute of admiration for his poetical efforts. In the year 1800 he removed to London, and there became acquainted with those patriotic fosterers of their native language and customs, who instituted the Gwyneddigion Society, and he filled at intervals the situation of their bard and secretary. The illness of his family compelled him reluctantly to leave the metropolis, after a residence of about four years, and return to Nantglyn, which he never afterwards quitted. This occurrence, which was unforeseen, obliged him to borrow a sum of money from Owain Myvyr, to defray the expenses of removal, and shortly after hewas given to understand by that generous character, that the loan should be a gift; and this munificent donation enabled him to build a decent cottage, which formed his domicile during his life. When the premiums awarded by the Eisteddvodau stimulated the bards to unwonted exertions, Robert Davies early distinguished himself, and acquired the honour of occupying the bardic chair for Powys, at the meeting held at Wrexham, in 1820, by his prize elegy on the death of George the Third. The number of medals he acquired on different occasions amounted to eleven; and in addition he received, on various occasions, many money premiums for meritorious exertions. It would be needless to recapitulate the various subjects on which he was a successful competitor, as the prize poems of his composition are mostly published in his publication entitled “Diliau Barddas,” which contains the greater part of the productions of his muse. He likewise was the compiler of a very excellent “Grammar,” in great esteem in the principality. He died on 1st December, 1835, and was buried at Nantglyn, where it is in contemplation to erect a tablet to his memory.
John Evans, an adventurous young man of Caernarvonshire, who, about the year 1790, went to America, with a view of discovering the Welsh Indians, or descendants of Madog and his followers. Aftersurmounting many difficulties, and penetrating about 1,300 miles up the Missouri River, he was obliged to return to St. Louis, on the Mississippi. The commandant there encouraged him to try another voyage, with attendants and everything necessary to make discoveries; but unfortunately, John Evans died of a fever there in 1797, when everything was prepared to ensure success to his enterprise.
Wyn Elis, A.M., an eminent divine and poet, who lived at Y-Las-Ynys, in Meirionethshire, from about the year 1680 to 1740. About the year 1720, he published a small tract in Welsh of great utility, containing letters of advice to Christian professors, with various hymns and other pieces. Soon after, he published the “Bardd Cwsg, or the Vision of the Sleeping Bard,” in the manner of Don Quivedo, a very popular work, which has been reprinted several times since the death of the author.
Rev. Evan Edward, Aberdare, Glamorgan, an eminent Dissenting preacher, philosopher and poet, and one of the few who being initiated into the bardic mysteries, have helped to preserve the institution to the present time. He died on the 21st of June, 1798, being the time fixed for him to meet the other bards of the chair of Glamorgan.
Sir John Glynne, an able political lawyer in the time of Charles the First, and during the Interregnum,was born in the year 1590. He received his academic education at Hart Hall, Oxford, and afterwards studied at Lincoln’s Inn, where he became a bencher. His talents were quickly discovered by the popular party, and through the tide of opposition, he was buoyed up above the common level. He became steward of Westminster, was returned for two parliaments that sat in the year 1640; was made recorder of London, and at length lord chief justice of the upper bench. Cromwell made him one of his council, and placed him on the committee appointed to inquire into the title most proper for the usurper to assume. He continued in office till the Restoration, when he prudently and promptly determined to submit to the new government. After having been one of the ablest supporters of the protectorate, he was received by the reinstated King with the most distinguished attention, and obtained honorary marks of royal favour, for he was appointed prime serjeant, himself knighted, and his eldest son created a baronet. He appears to have been of considerable service, by sitting in the convention parliament, as a representative for Caernarvon; assisted by his advice to obtain the act of general amnesty; and particularly in his judicial capacity, establishing the first precedent of granting a rule for new trial in cases where excessive damages had been awarded by the partial, or inconsiderate verdicts of a jury. He died in the year 1666.
Doctor Gabriel Goodmanwas a native of Ruthin, distinguished for his various learning, but especially eminent as a linguist and divine. He was promoted by Queen Elizabeth to the deanery of Westminster; and, with other distinguished characters, appointed an assistant in that great work, a version of the Holy Scriptures. By his translation of his “First Epistle to the Corinthians,” wholly performed by him as well as other parts assigned him, he acquired great fame; yet he obtained no higher preferment, dying dean of Westminster after forty years’ incumbency, in the year 1601. His regard for learned men was great, as appears from his having helped to support Camden in his travels, who, through the dean’s interest, was made under master of Westminster School. His desire for perpetuating learning was no less conspicuous in the free-school founded in his native place, and his philanthropy still lives in an hospital established for the aged poor.
Howell Harris, an eminent preacher, distinguished as the introducer of Methodism into Wales, was born at Trevecca, in Brecknockshire, on January 23rd, 1713; and being designed for the church, was admitted a student of St. Mary’s Hall, Oxford, in November, 1735. Here, however, he remained only during one term, at the expiration of which, he quitted the University, with the design of entering immediately on the duties of the clerical profession. He had by thistime, apparently, imbibed the tenets and spirit of Whitfield, and determined to propagate the doctrine of Methodism; with this view he applied for orders, but was refused. Having commenced his ministerial career, he came to his native place, and exerted himself with great zeal and earnestness. His style of preaching was much the same as that practised by the ministers of his connection, particularly among the Welsh, who have probably taken him for their model; it was bold, declamatory, and animated, to a degree that might often be denominated vociferation. At a period when religious freedom was but imperfectly understood, even by those who deprecated persecution, a man of Mr. Harris’s active zeal for proselytism, was not likely to pass unobserved. He was in some instances prosecuted, but more frequently persecuted: his undaunted resolution, however, triumphed over every opposition, and rendered impotent every attempt to reduce him to silence. He married in the year 1730, Anne, the daughter of John Williams, Esq., of Screene, by whom he had one daughter. In the year 1756, when some apprehensions of an invasion were entertained, he made a voluntary offer to furnish at his own expense, ten light-horsemen completely armed and accoutred, which proposal was accepted. Three years afterward, A.D. 1759, Mr. Harris himself, embarked in a military character. He was first appointed to an ensigncy inthe county militia, and afterwards invested with the command of a company, in which were enrolled many of his own followers. In the latter part of his life, he derived much support from Lady Huntingdon, the warm patroness of the Calvinistic Methodists, who came to reside in the neighbourhood. Mr. Harris died at Trevecca, July 28, 1773, and was buried in Talgarth church. In the year 1752 he formed the plan of a religious community, something similar in its constitution to the Moravian societies; and in the same year he laid the foundation of Trevecca house, with a sufficient extent of buildings and garden, and other ground to accommodate a large number of inhabitants. Here he invited his disciples to assemble, and to invest their property in a common fund, of which all members, as occasion might require, were equally to participate.
Morus Huwof Perthi Llwydion, near Cerrig-y-Druidion, Denbighshire, a distinguished poet, who flourished from about the year 1600 to 1650. He is generally considered to be the best song writer that has appeared in Wales. Many of his compositions are in the Blodeugerdd.
Thomas Jones, bardd cloff (the lame bard). This highly respectable bard was born at Mynydd Bychan (the little mountain), in the parish of Llantysilio, Denbighshire, April 15, 1768. When quite an infant, he met with an accident which lamed him forlife—hence the appellation of the lame bard. In 1775 Mr. Jones’s family removed to Llangollen, and Thomas was sent to the best school in the town; in 1782 the family removed again to Machynlleth, in the county of Montgomery. In 1780, Mathew Davies, Esq., brought young Jones to London, and placed him in his counting-house, in Long Acre, where Mr. Davies carried on a very large establishment in the coach and military-lace line. Mr Jones was exceedingly fond of reading, particularly poetry; and about this time he began “to torment the Awen” (Muse), as he used to say; and wrote several things both in Welsh and English. In 1789 he was elected a member of the Gwyneddigion, and shortly afterwards he became secretary to the society. At the time when it was regularly attended by Owain Jones, Myfyr, Dr. W. O. Pughe, &c., who encouraged the young bard, and gave him much valuable advice. In 1794 we find his name as one of the stewards of the festival of Ancient Britons, and in 1801, as llywydd (chairman) of the Gwyneddigion. In 1802 he published “An Ode of St. David’s-day,” and the following year Mr. Davies made him the head manager of his business; a convincing proof of the rectitude of his conduct, which was farther testified by his becoming a partner in 1813. The Metropolitan Cambrian Institution, founded on the basis of the Cymrodorion (established in 1750) was revived, and Mr.Jones was elected treasurer; and he gained the gold medal offered by the society for the best poem in the Welsh language, on its revival. In 1821 he was president of the Gwyneddigion for the third time; and at the jubilee anniversary dinner, he was presented with the society’s silver medal, to commemorate the event. Mr. Jones gained several prizes at the different Eisteddvodau held in Wales. And, after residing for a period of forty-five years (with little intermission) at No. 90, Long Acre, departed this life February 18, 1828, esteemed and lamented by all who knew him. Mr. Jones was an open-hearted, generous, hospitable, benevolent man; no indigent countryman appealed to him in vain; his name was invariably found in every list of subscription raised for the promotion of literature, or the relief of distress. Y bardd cloff, was, like his equally generous countryman and friend, Mr. David Jones, of the House of Commons, universally known by the Cymry, both in London and the principality. And when he was gathered to his fathers, the Cymrodorion offered its silver medal for the best approved of marwnad (elegy) on his lamented demise, which was awarded to Robert Davies, bardd nantglyn.
John Jonesof Celli Lyvdy, distinguished as one of the most indefatigable collectors of Welsh literature that have appeared among us. He continued translating old Welsh manuscripts for a period of forty years, as itappears from some of his volumes, which are dated variously from the year 1590 to 1630; and of whose works in this way upwards of forty large volumes still exist.
Edward Joneswas born at a farm in Meirionethshire, called Henblas, or Old Mansion, on Easter Sunday, in the year 1752. His father was what is generally termed a musical genius: he could not only perform on various instruments, but he also made several. He taught two of his sons, Edward and Thomas, the Welsh harp, another son the spinnet, and another the violin, and he played himself on the organ—so that the “Family Concert” was at least a tolerable strong one. Edward Jones came to London about the year 1774, under the patronage of several persons of distinction, connected with the principality. His performance on the harp was considered in those days, when taste, feeling, and expression, were the characteristic features of a lyrist, to be very superior. He met with great encouragement, and had the honour of giving instructions to many ladies of rank. He was appointed Bard to the Prince of Wales in 1783, but it was merely an honorary situation.
In conjunction with Dr. Owen Pughe, Mr. Walters, and a few literary friends, he published a volume of Ancient Bardic Lore, and Welsh Airs, in 1794, and, in four years afterwards, brought out a second volume. In 1820 he published the first part of a third volume,and had employed his days chiefly since in preparing the remainder, so as to complete the work; but he was not permitted to accomplish it. He had been severely afflicted with rheumatic pains for some time, and his memory became daily more defective; he was a very reserved man, and passed most of his time alone, with his chamber door locked.
He had been a collector of scarce books, and possessed many valuable ones; but his inability to follow his professional pursuits, and his high spirit preventing him from making his situation known to his relatives, caused him to dispose of a part of his library, on the produce of which he subsisted.
Several friends saw that he was daily becoming an object of their friendly attention, who endeavoured to ascertain his circumstances; but from him they could learn nothing, notwithstanding it was pretty certain that he passed many days without a dinner.
It became at length a duty incumbent on them to take him under their care; a recommendation to the Governors of the Royal Society of Musicians was promptly attended to, and an annuity of 50l.was granted unknown to him. This single act of benevolence speaks volumes in favour of that excellent institution, which was founded in 1738, with a view of shielding the “child of song,” in the decline of life, from penury and want; also to provide for the widows and orphans ofits indigent members, at their decease. Mr. Jones entered the society in 1778.
Mr. Parry was deputed to give him the first monthly payment. It was in the evening when he called; he found the Bard locked in his room, at his lodgings in Great Chesterfield-street, Marylebone, and was admitted: he did not recollect Mr. Parry immediately, although most intimately acquainted with him; he had his dressing-gown and night-cap on, his harp standing by the table, on which was a blotted sheet of music paper. Mr. Parry told him the purport of the visit, but he did not pay much attention to it, and only asked, with much fervency, whether he knew “The Melody of Mona,” (See Relicks, vol. i. p. 168,) a most beautiful pathetic Welsh air, in the minor key, to which Mrs. Hemans has written an excellent song, called “The Lament of the last Druid.” He took his harp, and with a trembling hand,
“Struck the deep sorrows of his Lyre.”
“Struck the deep sorrows of his Lyre.”
It was impossible not to feel affected on such an occasion—the scene reminded him of the dying hour of a celebrated Bard, who called for his harp, and performed a most plaintive strain—
“Sweet solace of my dying hour,Ere yet my arm forget its power,Give to my falt’ring hand, my shell,One strain to bid the world farewell.”
“Sweet solace of my dying hour,Ere yet my arm forget its power,Give to my falt’ring hand, my shell,One strain to bid the world farewell.”
In a few days afterwards he fell in a fit; the landladywho sat in the apartment below, heard a noise; she ran up, but could not gain admission; the door was burst open, when the poor Bard was found lying on his face, with a heavy chair on his back. He remained senseless for two days, and expired without a groan on Easter Sunday, April 18, 1824, aged 72. He was conveyed to his silent tomb, in St. Mary-le-bone burial-ground, on the following Sunday. Mr. Jones left a number of scarce books, and much music, which were disposed of by public auction in February, 1825, and produced nearly 500l.He had, at various times previous to his death, sold books and prints to the amount of about 300l., so that his whole collection may be stated at 800l.; an extraordinary sum, considering the habits of the collector! Of his professional abilities, his “Relicks of the Welsh Bards” bear ample testimony; and will convey his name, with honour, to posterity. They are the result of forty years labour and research; and his countrymen of the Principality may now boast, that, as well as the Irish and the Scotch, they also have their “Melodies.”
Rice Jonesof Blaenau, in Meirionethshire, one of the most eminent poets of Wales of recent times. He died in the autumn of the year 1801, at the great age eighty-six. In the year 1770 he published a “Welsh Anthology,” in quarto, containing choice selections from the poets of different ages.
Theophilus Jones, the ingenious and learned author of the “History of Brecknockshire,” was born Oct. 18, 1758. He was the son of the Rev. Hugh Jones, successively vicar of the parishes of Langammarch and Llywel, Brecknockshire, and a prebendary of the collegiate church of Brecknock. With his grandfather, Mr. Theophilus Evans, Mr. Jones passed much of his early life. His principal education was completed in the college school at Brecknock. Being destined by his parents to the law, Mr. Jones, at a proper age, was placed under the care of an eminent practitioner then resident in the town of Brecknock; and after having passed with credit the period of his probation, entered into the profession upon his own account, and continued in it for many years, practising with equal reputation and success as an attorney and solicitor in that place. Upon a vacancy in the deputy registrarship of the archdeaconry of Brecknock, he was appointed to that office, and held it till his death. From the documents committed to his charge, and to which he was particularly attentive, he derived much valuable information connected with the parochial history of the county. After Mr. Jones commenced the history of his county, finding that the duties of his profession could not be attended to, and antiquarian pursuits followed at the same time, he disposed of the attorney’s and solicitor’s business. Being now moreat liberty to pursue the great object of his ambition, he spared neither pains nor expense to carry it into execution. There was no part of the county into which he did not extend his personal researches, inquiring most minutely into the natural history and antiquities of every place and parish. The first volume of his history of Brecknockshire in quarto, was published at Brecknock in the year 1805, and the second volume in 1809. With the exception of two communications to periodical publications, and two papers in the Cambrian Register, this was his only literary production. It was his intention to publish a history of Radnorshire, but his enfeebled state of health would not allow him to make the necessary exertions. His last literary attempt was a translation of that well written Welsh romance, entitled “Gweledigaethau y Bardd Cwsg,” or Visions of the Sleeping Bard, by the Rev. Ellis Wynne. He died upon the 15th of January, 1812, and was buried in the parish church of Llangammarth.
David Jonesof Trevriw, in Caernarvonshire, a poet who flourished from about the year 1750 to 1780. He edited two collections of Welsh poetry, one called “Diddanwch Teuluaidd,” and the other “Dewisol Ganiadau.” He also formed a large collection of old manuscripts, which have been lately purchased from his sons by the Rev. H. D. Griffith, of Caer Rhun,and appropriated by that gentleman for the enriching of the Welsh Archaiology.
Richard Llwyd, generally known in North Wales as the Bard of Snowden, and Author of “Beaumaris Bay,” two volumes of poems, &c., was born at Beaumaris, in the Isle of Anglesea, in 1752, and terminated a life devoted to the interest and literature of his country, on the 29th December, 1834, at his residence in Bank-place, Chester. The morning of his days was clouded with adversity. While yet a child, his father, who traded on the coast in a small vessel of his own, was shipwrecked, and lost at once his vessel, his cargo, and his life!—a calamity which plunged his surviving family in hopeless poverty and distress. The extreme poverty of his mother precluded her from giving Richard any education. Nevertheless, in early life his propensities for knowledge discovered itself in a variety of ways, and in spite of the obstacles with which he was surrounded, gave an early promise of the brightness and ardour of his genius, and that greatness of character in which he afterwards so eminently distinguished himself. There was, fortunately for him, at Beaumaris, a free-school, founded by Mr. David Hughes, a man born, like himself, in the vale of humility, but who afterwards became a blessing to his native island. Hence he says in one of his notes to “Gayton Wake,” I received an education of ninemonths, and I acknowledge this blessing with humble gratitude as it has been to me an inexhaustible source of happiness. At twelve years old, his mother gladly accepted a situation for him in the service of Henry Morgan, Esq., of Henblas. Here he remained several years, and here it was that his character was formed; he had not many opportunities of gratifying his insatiable thirst for reading, but such as he had he availed himself of, with unremitting zeal and ardour. He always rose at a very early hour, and devoted the time he thus gained to reading and studying. In temperance and frugality he was remarkable through life, and always studied and practised it with the utmost exactness, which gave him a constant feeling of dignified independence. In the year 1780 Mr. Lloyd entered into the service of Mr. Griffith, of Caer Rhûn, near Conway, as superintendent of a large demesne and family. Mr. Griffith being in the commission of the peace, and the only acting magistrate in an extensive district, Llwyd acted as his clerk; this situation offered him an opportunity of pursuing his favourite studies. Here he lived until Mr. Griffith died, and with what he had saved, aided by bequeaths from two friends, he retired from the world. In 1797 he published his poem of “Beaumaris Bay,” which was extremely well received by the public, and materially added to his pecuniary resources. Mr. Llwyd hadsuccessfully studied the antiquities of his country, and was exceedingly well versed in heraldry, which added to his native vivacity, wit, and good humour, made his company courted by the first families in the principality, at whose mansions he was always a welcome guest. In 1804 Mr. Llwyd published his “Gayton Wake,” and two volumes of poems, “Tales, Ode,” &c., translated from the British, which show the extent and variety of his genius, and which met with extensive encouragement. In 1814 he married Miss Bingley, daughter of the late Alderman Bingley, of the city of Chester, with whom he lived happily in comfortable independence, and whom he survived about twelve months.
William Mauriceof Cevyn-y-Briach, in Denbighshire, a distinguished antiquary and the assistant of Mr. Robert Vaughan, of Hengwrt, in collecting old Welsh manuscripts. The collection made by Mr. Maurice is now preserved at Wynnestay. He died about the year 1660.
William Middleton, sometimes called in Welsh, Gwilym Ganoldrev, an eminent poet and grammarian of the family of Gwenynog, in Denbighshire, who lived from the year 1560 to 1600. He served in the armies of Elizabeth, and was afterwards a captain of a ship of war; and, it is worthy of notice, that the principal work that he left behind him was done at sea,being an elegant “Version of the Psalms,” in the higher kind of Welsh metre. This work we find, from a note at the end of it, was finished January 24th, 1595, in the West Indies, and was printed after his death by Thomas Salusbury in 1603. The only other performance of this author which has been printed is his “Grammar,” and “Art of Poetry,” which he published in the year 1593.
Richard Morris, a brother of Lewis Morris, of Penros Llugwy, Anglesea, an ingenious Welsh critic and poet. He passed the greater part of his life as first clerk in the Navy-office; during which, he superintended the printing of two valuable editions of the Welsh Bible. He died in the year 1779.
Paul Panton, Esq., of Plas Gwyn, in Anglesea, a character distinguished for his acquaintance with the history and antiquities of his native country, and who left behind him a valuable collection of Welsh manuscripts; but who was more conspicuous for his liberality in aiding others, who pursued a similar track with himself. In addition to his own collection of papers, he also became possessed of the books of the Rev. Evan Evans, author of the Desertatio de Bardis, and other things, in consequence of having settled an annuity of £20. on that child of misfortune, towards the close of his life. Mr. Panton died in 1797, in the sixty-seventh year of his age.
William Parry, some time president and theological tutor at Wymondley Academy, Herts, was born in the year 1754, at Abergavenny, in Monmouthshire. When he was about seven years of age, he removed with his father to London, where he attended the ministry of Dr. Samuel Stennett. At the age of twenty, he was introduced to the Academy of Homerton, where Mr. Parry remained during six years, pursuing with unremitting ardour, the studies to which he had devoted himself. On leaving the academy, he acceded to an invitation from the church of Little Baddow, Essex, where he was ordained in the year 1780. In the year 1798 proposals were made to Mr. Parry by the trustees of W. Coward, Esq., to become theological tutor in the Dissenting Academy which had for some years been conducted at Northampton and Daventry, by Doctors Doddridge and Ashworth. An earnest desire of extended usefulness led Mr. Parry to accept those proposals; and in the year 1799 he took an affectionate farewell of his beloved flock at Baddow, after having laboured amongst them for twenty years, with great acceptance and fidelity. Mr. Parry entered on his new and important office at Wymondley (to which place the academy was removed). In undertaking the office of tutor, Mr. Parry did not resign that of a minister of Christ: immediately after his settlement at Wymondley, a small chapel was erected on the premises, where acongregation was raised, and a church formed, over which he presided as pastor till the time of his decease. With the exception of a charge delivered at the ordination of one of his students, Mr. Parry appeared but once in the character of an author. He died in the year 1818, in the sixty-fourth year of his age.
William Owen Pughe, D.C.L., was born at Ty’n y Bryn, in the parish of Llanvihangel y Pennant, county of Meirioneth, on the 7th of August, 1759. A man who is, by universal consent, pronounced the greatest literary character which old Cambria has ever produced at any period of time; and this may be truly said, without detracting from the unfading renown of our Taliesins, Aneurins, Gwalchmais, Cynddelws, Hywel Ddas, Goronwy Owens, or any other Cambrian author, because they did not exercise their talents, however great, in so varied and rich a field, or so extensive and bright a sphere as Dr. Owen Pughe. The family removed to Egryn, in Ardudwy, a short period after his birth, and there he passed his youthful days until he was sent to school at Altringham, near Manchester; and when arrived at seventeen years of age, he settled in London. Here he became intimate with Owain Myvyr and others, members of the Gwyneddigion; and projected and commenced his great work, the “Welsh and English Dictionary.” He laboured, at intervals, upon this arduous undertaking for thespace of eighteen years, during which he read all the remains of antiquity which could be procured to furnish materials to incorporate in this thesaurus of the words of the Welsh language. In conjunction with Owain Myvyr and Iolo Morganwg he became engaged in a work, which must elicit the warmest thanks of all Welsh scholars, intended to perpetuate, for the benefit of posterity, the existing documents of the Cymry to the close of the thirteenth century. This splendid memorial of patriotism and industry is entitled the Myvyrian Archaiology of Wales, and has afforded a facility for the study of British Antiquities, which will place this department of the history of our island on a sure basis. The Cambrian Biography, the translation of the works of Llywarchhen, and an agricultural treatise for Mr. Johnes, of Havod, the superintendence of the Cambrian Register, the Greal, the edition of the poems of Davydd ap Gwilym, and numerous important communications to such works as Rees’ Encyclopædia, Warrington’s History of Wales, Hoare’s History of Wiltshire, Britton’s Beauties of England and Wales, Campbell’s Books on Wales, Gunn’s Tracts, Meyrick’s Cardiganshire, Cox’s Publications, Chalmer’s Caledonia, were the fruit of his studies and indefatigable perseverance at this period. In the year 1806, an estate in Wales devolved to him, where, after intervals spent in London, he finallysettled. During this retirement he translated “Milton’s Paradise Lost,” “Heber’s Palestine,” many of Mrs. Heman’s poetical pieces, &c., into Welsh, and the “Mabinagion,” &c., into English, besides many original productions of great merit. The University of Oxford, as a testimony of estimation for his arduous and useful labours, conferred on him the degree of D.C.L. He breathed his last at Dolydd y Cae, a house at the base of Cader Idris, where he had spent a few days in the same tranquil manner as had distinguished him through life, on the 4th of June, 1835; thus closing a life useful to his country, and endeared to his family and friends, at the foot of the same mountain which had witnessed his birth. A subscription has been entered into for the purpose of raising a fund to defray the expense of erecting a monument to the memory of the erudite and amiable William Owen Pughe.