D. C. HEATH & COMPANY.—This house was founded in 1886 by Daniel C. Heath, whose first office was in Tremont Place, Boston. The name chosen by Mr. Heath for his firm was D. C. Heath & Company, which name has continued until this day. Mr. Heath’s first partner was Charles H. Ames, who was admitted to the firm in 1888. His second was William E. Pulsifer, who joined the Company in 1889. Dr. Winfield S. Smyth, who had been Ginn & Company’s Chicago manager, was taken into the firm of D. C. Heath & Company in 1893. In 1895, the partnership sold its business to a corporation organized in that month, of which Mr. D. C. Heath was made President, Dr. Winfield S. Smyth, Vice President, William E. Pulsifer, Treasurer, and Charles H. Ames, Secretary. Mr. Heath died in January, 1908, and Dr. Smyth in August, 1908.
—This house was founded in 1886 by Daniel C. Heath, whose first office was in Tremont Place, Boston. The name chosen by Mr. Heath for his firm was D. C. Heath & Company, which name has continued until this day. Mr. Heath’s first partner was Charles H. Ames, who was admitted to the firm in 1888. His second was William E. Pulsifer, who joined the Company in 1889. Dr. Winfield S. Smyth, who had been Ginn & Company’s Chicago manager, was taken into the firm of D. C. Heath & Company in 1893. In 1895, the partnership sold its business to a corporation organized in that month, of which Mr. D. C. Heath was made President, Dr. Winfield S. Smyth, Vice President, William E. Pulsifer, Treasurer, and Charles H. Ames, Secretary. Mr. Heath died in January, 1908, and Dr. Smyth in August, 1908.
After Mr. Heath’s death his trustees, Herbert C. Foss and E. G. Cooley, who for some time had been Superintendent of Schools in Chicago, carried on the business for two years, when Mr. Heath’s stock was purchased by William E. Pulsifer, Winfield S. Smyth, Jr., W. H. Ives, James C. Simpson, Isaac Van Houten, Frank F. Hummel, and others who bought a few shares of the common stock. In 1910 the corporation elected as its officers, William E. Pulsifer, President, W. H. Ives, Vice President, Winfield S. Smyth, Treasurer, and Charles H. Ames, Secretary. Mr. Ives soon retired and in September, 1911, Mr. Ames died. The present officers of the Company are William E. Pulsifer, President, James C. Simpson, Vice President, Winfield S. Smyth, Treasurer, and Frank F. Hummel, Secretary. Mr. S. Willard Clary was the editor-in-chief of the Modern Language Department for twenty-seven years, and Dr. Charles Henry Douglas has been the editor-in-chief of the general list since 1895.
When Mr. Heath retired from the firm of Ginn & Heath, he was paid for his interest partly in cash and partly in books. Among the publications which he received from the Ginn & Heath list were Remsen’sOrganic Chemistry, Shaler’sFirst Book in Geology, Ybarra’sPractical Method in Spanish, Sheldon’sShort German Grammar, Hall’sMethods of Teaching History, and Mitchell’sHebrew Lessons. There were altogether twenty-four bound books and several manuscripts, including those prepared by Mary Sheldon. Mr. Heath’s first publications were Sheldon’sStudies in General History, the Joynes-MeissnerGerman Grammar, and several French and German texts purchased from English and Scotch publishers and republished by him.
D. C. Heath & Company has acquired by purchase from Leach & Shewell and added to its list the Wells Series of Mathematics for secondary schools and colleges, a number of Latin texts and textbooks from the University Publishing Company, Thomas’sHistory of the United Statesfrom a Friends’ Society known as The Text-Book Association of Philadelphia, Bancroft’sSchool Gymnasticsfrom Kellogg & Company of New York, Bowser’s Algebras, Geometries, and Trigonometries from Van Nostrand & Company, and the American rights in what is now known as the Arden Shakespeare from Blackie & Son, Limited, of Scotland.
LONGMANS, GREEN & COMPANY.—The American house of Longmans, Green & Company was founded September 15, 1887, by Mr. C. J. Mills. Its business is incorporated under New York State law. The London house began business in 1724. The only change that has been made in the personnel of the Company on this side of the Atlantic was the admittance to the firm of Mr. Mill’s son, E. S. Mills.
—The American house of Longmans, Green & Company was founded September 15, 1887, by Mr. C. J. Mills. Its business is incorporated under New York State law. The London house began business in 1724. The only change that has been made in the personnel of the Company on this side of the Atlantic was the admittance to the firm of Mr. Mill’s son, E. S. Mills.
The publication of schoolbooks by the American house was begun in 1890. The first of these books wereEpochs of American History, a series of three volumes edited by Professor A. B. Hart of Harvard. WoodrowWilson is the author of one of the volumes. This well-known series was quickly followed by Longmans’English Classics, Longmans’English Grammar, etc.
SCOTT, FORESMAN & COMPANY.—This house was founded in 1889 under the firm name of Albert & Scott. The business was originated and carried on for several years by Mr. E. H. Scott. In 1894, Mr. H. A. Foresman purchased an interest in the concern and shortly afterward the publishing business of George Sherwood & Company, with all its stock and publishing rights, was taken over. At that time the corporation name was changed to Scott, Foresman & Company. In 1896, W. C. Foresman bought an interest in the business and became Treasurer of the Company. The same year the publishing business of S. C. Griggs & Company was purchased, and all rights and stock were transferred to Scott, Foresman & Company. In 1908, R. C. McNamara became a stockholder and Secretary of the Company. In 1912, Charles E. Keck became a stockholder and manager of the Eastern office.
—This house was founded in 1889 under the firm name of Albert & Scott. The business was originated and carried on for several years by Mr. E. H. Scott. In 1894, Mr. H. A. Foresman purchased an interest in the concern and shortly afterward the publishing business of George Sherwood & Company, with all its stock and publishing rights, was taken over. At that time the corporation name was changed to Scott, Foresman & Company. In 1896, W. C. Foresman bought an interest in the business and became Treasurer of the Company. The same year the publishing business of S. C. Griggs & Company was purchased, and all rights and stock were transferred to Scott, Foresman & Company. In 1908, R. C. McNamara became a stockholder and Secretary of the Company. In 1912, Charles E. Keck became a stockholder and manager of the Eastern office.
Scott, Foresman & Company began publishing educational books in 1889, the first being a beginner’s Latin book,Bellum Helveticum, and the second, Lowe and Ewing’sCaesar.
AMERICAN BOOK COMPANY.—On June 14, 1890, an announcement was made by the American Book Company as follows:
—On June 14, 1890, an announcement was made by the American Book Company as follows:
“American Book Company, Incorporated, New York, Cincinnati, Chicago. Birdseye Blakeman, President; Alfred C. Barnes, Vice President; Harry T. Ambrose, Treasurer; Gilman H. Tucker, Secretary. Directors: Caleb S. Bragg, Chairman; William H. Appleton, William W. Appleton, Daniel Appleton, Alfred C. Barnes, Charles J. Barnes, Henry B. Barnes, Birdseye Blakeman, George R. Cathcart, A. H. Hinkle, David B. Ivison, Henry H. Vail.
“The American Book Company is a stock company incorporated under state laws for the purpose of carrying on the manufacture and sale of books. The American Book Company has purchased the schoolbook publications hitherto issued by D. Appleton & Company, A. S. Barnes & Company, Harper & Brothers, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Company of New York, and Van Antwerp, Bragg & Company of Cincinnati. The company is organized in the interest of economy in the production and sale of schoolbooks, etc.”
Mr. Birdseye Blakeman served as President from April, 1890, until May, 1893. He was succeeded by David B. Ivison, who served as President until 1896. Harry T. Ambrose was President of the Company from 1896 until 1914, when L. M. Dillman was elected to that office. Mr. Blakeman died October 9, 1894, and Mr. Ivison, April 6, 1903.
General A. C. Barnes served as Vice President from 1890 until hisdeath in 1904, when he was succeeded by Dr. Henry H. Vail. He in turn was succeeded by the present Vice President, A. Victor Barnes.
Mr. Ambrose served as Treasurer of the Company until he was elected President in 1896, when Charles P. Batt, the present Treasurer, succeeded him. Gilman H. Tucker was Secretary of the Company at its organization in 1890, and remained as such until his death, November 14, 1913. He was succeeded by John Arthur Greene, who died in 1917. The present Secretary is W. L. Billmyer.
Dr. Henry H. Vail was Chief of the Editorial Department at the organization of the Company, and held that position until his resignation in 1909, when he was succeeded by Russell Hinman. Mr. Hinman died in 1912, when Mr. G. W. Benton was made Editor-in-Chief and is still serving in that position.
Since its organization, the American Book Company has taken over by purchase the schoolbook properties of the following houses: Werner School Book Company, Chicago; Standard School Book Company, St. Louis; D. D. Merrill, St. Paul; Cowperthwait & Company, Philadelphia; Taintor Brothers & Company, New York; E. H. Butler & Company, Philadelphia; Western School Book Company, Chicago; Sheldon & Company, New York; Williams & Rogers, Rochester; the elementary list of the University Publishing Company, New York.
SCHWARTZ, KIRWIN & FAUSS.—Thishouse was established in 1890, the founders being Alonzo Schwartz, James J. Kirwin, and Denis C. Fauss. In 1893, Mr. Schwartz retired on account of ill health, and the business continued under the direction of Mr. Kirwin and Mr. Fauss.
—Thishouse was established in 1890, the founders being Alonzo Schwartz, James J. Kirwin, and Denis C. Fauss. In 1893, Mr. Schwartz retired on account of ill health, and the business continued under the direction of Mr. Kirwin and Mr. Fauss.
In 1898, this firm purchased the business of the Catholic School Book Company, taking over its entire list. That company, in turn, was the successor of the Catholic Publication Society, established originally by the Paulist Fathers in 59th Street, New York, with Mr. Lawrence Kehoe as the manager.
Among the earliest publications of the house wereThe Young Catholic’s Illustrated Readers, Deharbe’s Catechism, Gazeau’s Histories, Edward’sHygiene, Hassard’s Histories, Farrell’s Spellers, and theColumbus Series of Readers, by Dr. William T. Vlymen, which series had already been contracted for and the first book published by the Catholic School Book Company, when Schwartz, Kirwin & Fauss purchased their list and completed the series.
The offices of this firm are located at 42 Barclay Street, New York, with Mr. Kirwin and Mr. Fauss still in charge of the business.
THE GREGG PUBLISHING COMPANY.—This organization is an outgrowth ofGregg Shorthand, first published by John R. Gregg in Boston, October, 1893. In 1896 Mr. Gregg moved to Chicago, where he established a school and continued to publish his system. In 1907, thepublishing business was incorporated as the Gregg Publishing Company, and is owned by Mr. Gregg, with the exception of the few shares held by others to comply with the legal requirements. In 1907 Mr. Gregg moved to New York, where he established an Eastern office. The San Francisco office was opened in 1912, the Boston office in 1919, and in 1920 an office was established in London. At the present time the executive officers are: John R. Gregg, President; Mrs. J. R. Gregg, First Vice President; Rupert P. SoRelle, Second Vice President; W. F. Nenneman, Secretary-Treasurer; Hubert A. Hagar, General Manager.
—This organization is an outgrowth ofGregg Shorthand, first published by John R. Gregg in Boston, October, 1893. In 1896 Mr. Gregg moved to Chicago, where he established a school and continued to publish his system. In 1907, thepublishing business was incorporated as the Gregg Publishing Company, and is owned by Mr. Gregg, with the exception of the few shares held by others to comply with the legal requirements. In 1907 Mr. Gregg moved to New York, where he established an Eastern office. The San Francisco office was opened in 1912, the Boston office in 1919, and in 1920 an office was established in London. At the present time the executive officers are: John R. Gregg, President; Mrs. J. R. Gregg, First Vice President; Rupert P. SoRelle, Second Vice President; W. F. Nenneman, Secretary-Treasurer; Hubert A. Hagar, General Manager.
Beginning with shorthand, an extensive line of publications in that subject was developed, to which were added textbooks in other commercial subjects. In addition to its two magazines, the list of publications of the Gregg Publishing Company at the present time comprises more than one hundred titles.
OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS.—In January, 1896, an American branch of the Oxford University Press opened offices at 91–93 Fifth Avenue, New York, under the management of John Armstrong, with whom were associated W. W. McIntosh, W. F. Olver, and C. C. Schepmoes. In 1897, the Branch took over from The Macmillan Company the publications of The Clarendon Press. In 1915, Mr. Armstrong died. He was succeeded by W. W. McIntosh, the present Vice President and General Manager. Mr. W. F. Olver, the first Treasurer of the Company, died in 1919 and was succeeded by Isaac Brown. Mr. C. C. Schepmoes became Secretary at that time.
—In January, 1896, an American branch of the Oxford University Press opened offices at 91–93 Fifth Avenue, New York, under the management of John Armstrong, with whom were associated W. W. McIntosh, W. F. Olver, and C. C. Schepmoes. In 1897, the Branch took over from The Macmillan Company the publications of The Clarendon Press. In 1915, Mr. Armstrong died. He was succeeded by W. W. McIntosh, the present Vice President and General Manager. Mr. W. F. Olver, the first Treasurer of the Company, died in 1919 and was succeeded by Isaac Brown. Mr. C. C. Schepmoes became Secretary at that time.
The first schoolbook manufactured and published by the Oxford University Press in this country was Schiller’sWilhelm Tell, edited by Sphoenfeld, which was issued in 1902. The concern publishes the Oxford English, French, and German Series. In 1918, the Branch added a Medical Department, which handles all the medical publications of Henry Frowde and Hodder & Stoughton of London.
THE MACMILLAN COMPANY.—Mr. George P. Brett, the present President, with the proprietors of Macmillan & Company, Ltd., London, the people who had been interested in the agency of Macmillan & Company previously operating in the United States, undertook the organization of the corporation, The Macmillan Company, in this country in 1896. Mr. Brett has been the President of the American corporation since that date.
—Mr. George P. Brett, the present President, with the proprietors of Macmillan & Company, Ltd., London, the people who had been interested in the agency of Macmillan & Company previously operating in the United States, undertook the organization of the corporation, The Macmillan Company, in this country in 1896. Mr. Brett has been the President of the American corporation since that date.
There have been several heads of the Educational Department. It was organized first under the direction of Dr. F. L. Sevenoak, who gave a part of his time to this work, the balance being devoted to teaching. He was succeeded by James R. McDonald, who filled the position until the fall of 1902, when he was succeeded by William H. Ives. In 1906 Mr. Ives was succeeded by F. C. Tenney, who filled the position until July,1912. At that time A. H. Nelson became the head of the Educational Department and held the position until July, 1920, when Charles H. Seaver, who now occupies it, succeeded Mr. Nelson.
School textbooks were published in America by Macmillan & Company before the time when The Macmillan Company was formed as an American corporation, the records showing the publication of Hall and Knight’sElementary AlgebraandAlgebra for Beginnersin 1895, Tarr’sElements of Physical Geographyin 1895, and Channing’sStudent’s History of the United Statesin April, 1896. Immediately following the establishment of the American corporation, there was published Miller’sTrigonometryin 1896, and in 1897 the following books appeared: Tarr’sHigh School Geology, Nichols’High School Physics, Lewis’sWriting English, Tarr’sFirst Book in Physical Geography, McLellan and Ames’Arithmetic, Hall and Knight’sAlgebra for Colleges and Schools, Davenport’sElementary Economics, Murche’sScience Readers. The McLellan and AmesArithmeticand the MurcheScience Readerswere the first textbooks published for elementary grades. The Macmillan Company first undertook the work of publishing books for that field in the fall of 1897.
W. H. WHEELER & COMPANY.—This Chicago concern was organized in 1897 by Mr. W. H. Wheeler. In 1898 W. C. Fidler purchased an interest in the Company. Some years later, E. E. Wheeler, son of W. H. Wheeler, was admitted to the firm, as was also John H. Pugh. These four men are still active in the business.
—This Chicago concern was organized in 1897 by Mr. W. H. Wheeler. In 1898 W. C. Fidler purchased an interest in the Company. Some years later, E. E. Wheeler, son of W. H. Wheeler, was admitted to the firm, as was also John H. Pugh. These four men are still active in the business.
The first books published by this house were Wheeler’sGraded Studies in English, First Lessons in Grammar and Composition. These were followed a little later by Wheeler’sGraded Primer.
NEWSON & COMPANY.—This concern was incorporated under the laws of the State of New York, July, 1900. Mr. Henry D. Newson was its first President. He was succeeded in that office by Mr. Everett Yeaw, the present President, in April, 1912. Mr. Newson severed all relations with the Company on January 1, 1920.
—This concern was incorporated under the laws of the State of New York, July, 1900. Mr. Henry D. Newson was its first President. He was succeeded in that office by Mr. Everett Yeaw, the present President, in April, 1912. Mr. Newson severed all relations with the Company on January 1, 1920.
Newson & Company immediately on its organization began the publication of educational books, the first of which was Buehler’sModern English Grammar, the original of the present Revised Edition, published in 1914.
WORLD BOOK COMPANY.—The house was established in 1905 by Casper W. Hodgson. “It was really founded,” Mr. Hodgson writes, “in the Philippine Islands, a little farther west or east than any other American house has started.” The first office was in Manila, but soon another was established at Park Hill, Yonkers, N. Y.
—The house was established in 1905 by Casper W. Hodgson. “It was really founded,” Mr. Hodgson writes, “in the Philippine Islands, a little farther west or east than any other American house has started.” The first office was in Manila, but soon another was established at Park Hill, Yonkers, N. Y.
The first books issued were six Philippine publications. The World Book Company now does a considerable business not only in the PhilipineIslands, but also in the United States and Latin America. O. S. Reimold and M. A. Purcell have been connected with the business almost from its beginning. M. J. Hazelton, who joined the Company in 1908, has been the Philippine representative of the house. Professor John W. Ritchie has given his full time to the organization since 1915.
The titles of the first educational books published for use in American schools are Ritchie’sHuman Physiology, and Wohlfarth-Rogers’New World Spellers.
ROW, PETERSON & COMPANY.—This firm was organized in February, 1906. R. K. Row was made President and Isaac Peterson, Secretary-Treasurer. A few years later Charles D. Kennedy and J. R. Sparks purchased stock in the Company and were made directors, Mr. Kennedy becoming Secretary. In 1914, B. E. Richardson purchased stock and became Vice President. In 1919, Mr. Peterson died and Mr. Kennedy was made Secretary-Treasurer.
—This firm was organized in February, 1906. R. K. Row was made President and Isaac Peterson, Secretary-Treasurer. A few years later Charles D. Kennedy and J. R. Sparks purchased stock in the Company and were made directors, Mr. Kennedy becoming Secretary. In 1914, B. E. Richardson purchased stock and became Vice President. In 1919, Mr. Peterson died and Mr. Kennedy was made Secretary-Treasurer.
The first books were published in the spring of 1906. These included Robbins and Row’sStudies in English, Salisbury’sThe Theory of Teaching, Frazier’sThe National Speller, Hatch and Haselwood’sElementary Agriculture, and Hurty’sLife with Health.
McGRAW-HILL BOOK COMPANY.—This organization was started on July 1, 1909, with John A. Hill, President, and James H. McGraw, Vice President. After Mr. Hill’s death in 1916, Mr. McGraw succeeded him as President, which position he still holds.
—This organization was started on July 1, 1909, with John A. Hill, President, and James H. McGraw, Vice President. After Mr. Hill’s death in 1916, Mr. McGraw succeeded him as President, which position he still holds.
At the time of the formation of this Company in 1909, when the Book Departments of the McGraw Publishing Company and the Hill Publishing Company were consolidated, the combined lists totaled perhaps 200 books. In ten years this list has grown to approximately 1000 titles. Some of the most notable publications of the Educational Department of the McGraw-Hill Book Company are Dr. Cady’sInorganic Chemistry, Dr. Norris’Principles of Organic Chemistry, Dr. Moore’sHistory of Chemistry, Dr. Mahin’sQuantitative Analysis, a series of Electrical Engineering texts prepared under the general supervision of Dr. H. E. Clifford of Harvard University, a series of books on Scientific Management and Efficiency, under the general direction of Dr. R. S. Butler, formerly of the University of Wisconsin, a series of mathematical texts, including Slichter’sElementary Mathematical Analysis, Wolff’sCalculus, Allen’sProjective Geometry, and a series of successful books for trade schools and apprentice classes, under the general direction of F. E. Mathewson of the Dickinson High School, Jersey City, N. J.
The present officers of the McGraw-Hill Book Company are: James H. McGraw, President; Martin M. Foss, Vice President and General Manager; Arthur J. Baldwin, Vice President; Edward Caldwell, Treasurer; James S. Thompson, Secretary.
THE BOBBS-MERRILL COMPANY.—This house was established in 1838 by Samuel Merrill. The business has continued in unbroken succession since that time, under several different firm names, being first Merrill & Company, then Merrill & Field, Merrill Hubbard Company, Merrill Meigs & Company, The Bowen-Merrill Company, and in 1903 the firm name became The Bobbs-Merrill Company.
—This house was established in 1838 by Samuel Merrill. The business has continued in unbroken succession since that time, under several different firm names, being first Merrill & Company, then Merrill & Field, Merrill Hubbard Company, Merrill Meigs & Company, The Bowen-Merrill Company, and in 1903 the firm name became The Bobbs-Merrill Company.
In 1909 a set of educational readers was added to the general line of publications of this house. As publishers of law books, The Bobbs-Merrill Company ranks among the leading houses of the country.
The present officers of the corporation are: W. C. Bobbs, President; John R. Carr, Vice President; D. L. Chambers, Secretary.
THE JOHN C. WINSTON COMPANY.—The founder of this Philadelphia concern was Mr. John C. Winston, who was its directing head until May 6, 1920, when he died.
—The founder of this Philadelphia concern was Mr. John C. Winston, who was its directing head until May 6, 1920, when he died.
The Company began work in the preparation of schoolbooks in 1913, but the business end of the Educational Department was not inaugurated until March, 1918. The first books published by this Company were the Winston Series of Readers, theYoung American Readers, theWinston Simplified Dictionary, and two books on civics,Our CommunityandOur Neighborhood.
IROQUOIS PUBLISHING COMPANY, INC.—This Company was incorporated under the laws of the state of New York on July 15, 1915, with E. F. Southworth as President and H. W. Duguid as Secretary. Mr. Southworth was for many years connected with Ginn & Company.
—This Company was incorporated under the laws of the state of New York on July 15, 1915, with E. F. Southworth as President and H. W. Duguid as Secretary. Mr. Southworth was for many years connected with Ginn & Company.
During the first year the Company brought out a list of twelve books. This list increased until on February 1, 1921, it contained more than fifty titles.
UNIVERSITY PUBLISHING COMPANY.—This firm was incorporated in 1868 under New York State law. Prominent among the promoters and original stockholders of the Company were Horace Greeley, August Belmont, W. H. Aspinwall, G. B. Hallgarten, W. R. Travers, Eugene Kelly, J. B. Alexander, Richard L. Edwards, and many others of New York. In Baltimore, Robert Garrett & Sons, brokers controlling the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, A. S. Able of the BaltimoreSun, C. H. Latrobe, at one time Mayor of Baltimore, John Hopkins, W. T. Walters, owner of the once famous Peach Blow Vase, were stockholders. Jefferson Davis and Joseph E. Johnson subscribed for stock, and Dr. Howard Crosby, the famous divine of New York, was an enthusiastic supporter. General John B. Gordon was interested in the Company and was for many years a director and Vice President of the concern.
—This firm was incorporated in 1868 under New York State law. Prominent among the promoters and original stockholders of the Company were Horace Greeley, August Belmont, W. H. Aspinwall, G. B. Hallgarten, W. R. Travers, Eugene Kelly, J. B. Alexander, Richard L. Edwards, and many others of New York. In Baltimore, Robert Garrett & Sons, brokers controlling the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, A. S. Able of the BaltimoreSun, C. H. Latrobe, at one time Mayor of Baltimore, John Hopkins, W. T. Walters, owner of the once famous Peach Blow Vase, were stockholders. Jefferson Davis and Joseph E. Johnson subscribed for stock, and Dr. Howard Crosby, the famous divine of New York, was an enthusiastic supporter. General John B. Gordon was interested in the Company and was for many years a director and Vice President of the concern.
The educators agreed upon as authors of the new books were all university men, and this fact gave its name to the Company. The list ofauthors included Dr. Basil L. Gildersleeve of Johns Hopkins University, Matthew F. Maury, author ofThe Physical Geography of the Sea, Dr. George F. Holmes, Charles S. Venable of the University of Virginia, and Professor William Hand Brown. Of the books published, Maury’s Physical Geographies and Gildersleeve’s Latin Grammar at once took their places as standard authorities.
Early in 1873, Ezra D. Barker was elected General Manager by the directors. He supervised the revision of Holmes’ Readers and Spellers, Maury’s Primary and Grammar School Geographies, and Venable’s Arithmetic.
In 1888, Mr. C. L. Patton cast his fortune with the Company and came to New York as the Manager of the Agents’ Introduction Department. In 1892, Mr. Patton reorganized the Company, which took over the plates and publishing rights of the J. B. Lippincott schoolbook list, also a list of books published by F. F. Hansell & Brother of New Orleans.
On the 31st of December, 1906, the directors of the Company decided to go into voluntary liquidation. In this liquidation the grammar school books were sold to the American Book Company, Gildersleeve’s Latin Series to D. C. Heath & Company, Eadies’ Physiologies to Charles Scribner’s Sons, and the Standard Literature Series and all remaining publications to Newson & Company.
ATKINSON, MENTZER & COMPANY.—This firm was organized in 1898 under the name of Hathaway & Atkinson. At the end of the year Mr. Hathaway withdrew and the firm’s name became Atkinson & Mentzer. In 1899, the firm published its first book, namely, theIvanhoe Historical Note Book. In 1904, Mr. Edwin Osgood Grover joined the organization and the firm name was changed to Atkinson, Mentzer & Grover. The first book published under this imprint was theArt Literature Primer. In 1911 Mr. Grover severed his connection with the firm, which from that time on has done business under the name of Atkinson, Mentzer & Company.
—This firm was organized in 1898 under the name of Hathaway & Atkinson. At the end of the year Mr. Hathaway withdrew and the firm’s name became Atkinson & Mentzer. In 1899, the firm published its first book, namely, theIvanhoe Historical Note Book. In 1904, Mr. Edwin Osgood Grover joined the organization and the firm name was changed to Atkinson, Mentzer & Grover. The first book published under this imprint was theArt Literature Primer. In 1911 Mr. Grover severed his connection with the firm, which from that time on has done business under the name of Atkinson, Mentzer & Company.
The writer regrets to state that he has not been able to get authentic data for historical accounts of the old firms of Brewer & Tileston and William Ware & Company of Boston, J. H. Butler & Company, E. H. Butler & Company, and Cowperthwait Company of Philadelphia, or Taintor Brothers of New York. There has not been included in this record several of the younger houses like the Southern Publishing Company of Texas and the University Publishing Company of Nebraska. It is also a fact that there has been no attempt to secure the records of the old printing houses, which were not publishers as we understand the meaning of the term.