OLD WELLAND CANAL LOCK 1 Plan of Lock at Port Dalhousie with Upper Gate closed, only 200 ft. long The Lock at Port Dalhousie with Upper Gate open—233 ft. 6 in. long. "Chicora" 230 ft. long as placed in Lock and lowered to Lake Ontario Level. page 74Plan of Lock at Port Dalhousie with Upper Gate closed, only 200 ft. longThe Lock at Port Dalhousie with Upper Gate open—233 ft. 6 in. long."Chicora" 230 ft. long as placed in Lock and lowered to Lake Ontario Level.page 74
Capt. D. Muir, the proprietor of the Dry Dock, with whom both now and later many a pleasant hour was spent, was a fine old character, and although then on the far side of sixty he held himself with square-set shoulders upright and sprightly. He had sailed the lakes until his face had taken on a permanent tan; eyes a deep blue with shaggy overhanging brows, a strong mouth and imperturbable countenance. He was not greatly given to conversation and had a dry, pawky humour which gave much point to his slowly spoken words, but when, as sometimes, he was in narrative mood, he would string off incidents of early sailing days on the lakes the while he chewed or turned from side to side, some sliver of wood which was invariably held between his teeth. He had no fancy for metal vessels, or "tin-pots," as he called them. "Give me," said he, "good sound wooden vessels, built right," (as he said this you would glean from his emphasis he meant "as I build them.") "If ye hit against anything in the Canawl, ye don't dint; if ye go ashore ye don't punch holes in your bottom, and ye ken pull yer hardest without enny fear uv rippin' it out."
There is this to be said that whatever work was done in his dock, was well done.
As soon as possible the two parts were put into the dock, the bulkheads taken out, the parts drawn together on launching ways (very cleverly done by Muir's men), and the plates and beams rivetted together again by rivetters brought down from Buffalo. The hull, both inside and out, was diligently scraped in every part and thoroughly oiled and painted. The main deck was relaid andChicorawas a ship again.
While all this was going on, Mr. J. G. Demary, the "Overseer" of this section of the canal, and I, had been carefully looking over the canal lock and arranging the procedure for putting the boat in for the final lowering down to Lake Ontario level.
Close examination had proved that the conditions of the Port Dalhousie lock, under water, were much morefavorable than appeared on the surface. The lock had been built about thirty years previously and there was very little local knowledge about it.
The lock itself was 200 feet on full inside measurement, with both gates closed. The upper gates opening to the upper level, instead of being half the height of the lower gates, were of the same height, and the lock itself was continued at its full size and depth for 33 feet further beyond these upper gates until it came to the "breast wall" of the upper level. With the upper gates open and pressed against the sides, there was thus created an unobstructed length of 233 feet, into which to place and lower the 230-foot steamer, as is shown in the accompanying drawing. It was a very welcome and satisfactory solution which investigation below the water level disclosed.
Like many other problems, it all seems very simple when once the unknown has been studied out and the results revealed, and so it was in this case. The project and the plan of the whole enterprise of bringing theChicoradown had been created by close search into conditions, by the adapting of a sudden opportunity which happened to become available, and thus rendered practicable that which all others had considered to be, and was, impossible.
It was a trying risk and worthy of a good reward.
In an undertaking so exceptional as this was it was unavoidable that unexpected difficulties should from time to time arise, as they often did, yet only to be overcome by decision and pertinacity. Another, at this stage, cropped up which for a time looked most unpleasant and caused much anxiety.
The 230-foot steamer was to be placed in the 233-foot lock, and the water run off so as to bring her to the Lake Ontario level, or 11 feet 6 inches below the upper canallevel. It was now found, when trying out every inch of the proposition, that under the water in front of the breast wall there was a big boom, or beam, extending across the lock from side to side.
Demary did not know how it was held in position, for it had been there before he came into the service, but he understood it had been intended to stop vessels laden too deeply from coming up the canal and striking and damaging the stonework of the breast wall.
Enquiry at the Canal Office at St. Catharines resulted in learning that there were no records of it, although Mr. E. V. Bodwell, who was then the Canal Superintendent, gave us every aid. That beam had to be got out of the way or difficulty might be caused, so permission was obtained from Ottawa for its removal at our own expense.
First we thought we would saw it through, but soon found that it was sheeted from end to end with plates of iron, so we had to begin the long job of cutting the iron under water. Many a pipe was smoked while watching the progress, when one day it was noticed that heads of the round rods which held up the beam in the grooves were square, suggesting screws on the lower end. So huge wrenches were forged, blocks and tackle rigged up, and after an afternoon's work with a team and striking blows with sledge hammers, we succeeded in getting the screws moving and, happy moment, the beam dropped to the bottom of the lock, where, no doubt, it still remains. So another kink had been untwisted.
Navigation ceased for the year, the canal was closed for the passage of vessels and the upper gates of the lock were opened and firmly secured. TheChicorawas brought from her mooring, and placed in the lock with her bow up-stream. The water in the lock was now the same levelas that of the upper level. On the 5th December, 1877, the process of drawing off the water of the five-mile level was begun, unwatering the canal as far as St. Catharines. It took ten days or so before the wider areas of the drowned lands were uncovered.
We watched the waters falling lower and lower until at length the steamer began lowering into the lock. Being fully secured, she was held in position clear of all obstacles. All was going well, but slowly, the time taken for the last few feet seeming to be interminable. At last suspense was over and on the 20th December we opened the lower gate andChicorafloated out into the harbour at the Lake Ontario level! The barges were quickly brought alongside, the guards were jacked up and fastened back into place to be completed after we reached Toronto, and the material which had been brought along in the expedition collected and loaded.
Arrangement had been made with Capt. Hall to keep the tugRobbin commission to be ready to tow us over. Being telegraphed for the tug duly arrived, and about noon on 24th December, started out from Port Dalhousie withChicorain tow.
Navigation had long been closed and we were the only boats out on the lake.
The air was cold but clear, and we had a fine passage, delighting greatly when the buildings of Toronto came clearly into view—soon we would enter the haven where we fain would be. As we crossed the lake a smart and increasing breeze rose behind. As we came abreast of the shoal near the New Fort (now called Stanley Barracks), and rounded up to make for the entrance to the harbour, suddenly theRobbstopped. Something had evidently gone wrong with the engine. Carried on by our way we swungbroadside to the shore under our lee. A quarter of an hour, half an hour, three-quarters of an hour passed as we were steadily drifted by the breeze nearer and nearer to the beach. We could not do anything for ourselves—still there was no movement from the tug—would she never start again? A little nearer and we would go aground among the sand and boulders, to stick there perhaps through the whole of the winter which was so close at hand. After working out our enterprise so far, were we to be wrecked just when safety was less than a mile away? It seemed hard lines to be so helpless at such a stage. But fortune had not abandoned her adventurers, for just in the nick of time we saw the tug moving, the engine had started again and in half an hour theChicorawas inside the harbour, tied up alongside the old Northern Railway Dock, her journey from Collingwood ended on this the afternoon of the day before Christmas Day.
Capt Hall, who was on his tug, had suffered as much from anxiety as had we, for he knew that every other tug on the lake had been laid up, so there would have been nothing left to pull theRobboff had she, as well as we, been carried upon the bouldered shore.
TheRobbwas the largest Canadian wrecking tug then on the lakes. She had done service in the Fenian Raid of 1866 at the time of the engagement at Fort Erie between the Welland Battery and the Fenians, some of the bullet marks still remaining on her wheel-house. After a long and honourable career she was grounded at Victoria Park, where her hull was used to form a portion of the landing pier, and where some of her timbers may still remain.
What a happy relief it was to be back on old familiar ground again, to meet the cheery greetings and congratulations of the "Old Northerners" of the yards and machineshops who took the utmost interest in this enterprise of their President, Hon. Frank Smith, and their General Manager, Mr. F. W. Cumberland, and formed an affection for theChicorawhich is lasting and vivid to the present day.
Christmas was a happy and well-earned rest. We had completed the first part of the undertaking, but not for unmeasured wealth would the experience be repeated. Youth is energetic and looks forward in roseate hope, so the anxieties and risks were soon forgotten, and all nerves turned toward the business engagements and profits, which, now that we had her safe in hand, the boat was to be set to earn.
The balance of that winter, and the spring of 1878 were fully occupied in rebuilding the upper works of the steamer in their new form adapted to her service as a day boat and in overhauling and setting up the engine after their long rest. Not long after our arrival, Captain Manson developed a severe inflammation, which confined him to his room in the Richmond House. Here, bright and cheerful to the last, he died on 29th February and was buried in Collingwood on March 2nd, deeply regretted by all sailorfolk and particularly by our crew. Five others of that crew, lost with theWabunoandAsia, found watery graves in the waters of the Georgian Bay. The writer is now the sole survivor, and Mr. R. H. M. McBride, and he the only remaining members of the original company.
For the interior work a party of experienced French-Canadian ship joiners were brought up from Sorel, no centre of ship carpentering existing in Ontario at that time.
The comely main stairway which gives such adornment to the entrance hall was then erected in all its grace of re-entrant curves, ornate pillars, and flowing sweep of head-rail and balustrade. When one thinks of the unnumbered thousands of travellers who have passed up and down its convenient steps, ones admiration and respect are raised for the French-Canadian Foreman who designed its form and executed it with such honest and capable workmanship, that to-day it still displays its lines of beauty without a creak or strain.
The octagonal wheel-house of the upper lakes which had been brought by rail from Collingwood was re-erected with its columned sides and graceful curving cornice under which was again hung the little blockade-running bell, lettered "Let Her B."
On the south side of Lake Ontario, opposite Toronto, is the Niagara Portal, where the mouth of the Niagara River, with high banks on either hand, makes its entrance into the lake, forming the only uninterrupted deep water harbour on that shore.
Here the rapid waters, outfall of all the gatherings of the inland Upper Lakes, pour out in fullest volume, enabling entrance even in winter, when all other harbours are closed in the grasp of ice. It is worthy of its mighty source, the product of the greatest Fresh Water Lakes in all the world.
Over the west bank floats the Union Jack on Fort Missasuaga, and over the east on Fort Niagara, the Stars and Stripes, each the emblem of the British and United States nationalities, between whose possessions the river forms the boundary line.
The first port of call on the Canadian side at the mouth of the river, now known as Niagara-on-the-Lake, had in olden times an importance and a past, which much belies its present outlook of quiet and placidity. Once it was the principal and most noted place in the Province of Upper Canada, and the centre of legislative power, making its surrounding neighborhood full of reminiscence.
The successive changes in the name of this ancient lakeside town, as also those of the settlement on the opposite shore, are interesting, as in themselves they form footprints in the paths of history.
The French had entered the St. Lawrence in 1534, and, as we have seen, had fully established their first route of connection to the Upper Lakes and the inner fur-trading districts, via the Ottawa and Lake Nipissing. The Niagara River route, via Lake Erie, had been learned of by them in 1669 under Pere Gallinee, and followed by the enterprise of theGriffonin 1678, but then, and for long after, was too fiercely occupied by hostile Indian tribes to be greatly available for commercial use. A first advance from Montreal intending to occupy the route, under Chevalier de la Barre, was intercepted by the Indians at Frontenac (Kingston) and driven back to Montreal.
In 1687 another advance for possession of the river succeeded in creating a foothold and the French erected a wooden fort and palisade upon the projecting point on the east bank of the river at its junction point with the lake. This outpost they named Fort Niagara, the name by which the place has ever since continued to be known.
The little garrison was not long able to keep its foothold. Beset by Indians and cut off by the failure of food supplies expected from their compatriots in the east, they were in dire straits, but yet boldly holding out in hopes that relief might yet arrive. At this juncture, Col. Thomas Dongan, Governor of the English Colony of New York, then loyal subjects of James II., made demand that the French should evacuate the fort, as it was in British territory. The British colonists of New York and New Jersey had recently joined hands with the Colonies of New England, in a British union, for united defence againstthe French. Upon the English Home Government having indicated to the French authorities its support of the Colonial demand, the Marquis de Denonville, Governor of Canada, ordered the garrison to retire. This they reluctantly did, but before leaving raised in the centre of the fort, under the influence of Pere Millet, their Jesuit Missionary, a great wooden cross 18 feet in height, upon which they cut in large letters:
, "REGN: VINC: IMP: CHRS:"Regnat;Vincit;Imperat;Christus;(Christ Reigns, Conquers, Rules.)
, "REGN: VINC: IMP: CHRS:"Regnat;Vincit;Imperat;Christus;(Christ Reigns, Conquers, Rules.)
The place was being for a while abandoned as a military post, but by this they left notice that it was still held as on outpost of their religion.
Here again at Niagara an episode was being repeated exceedingly similar to that which had been developed at Quebec a century and a half before.
Jacques Cartier and his explorers had entered the St. Lawrence and endured their first winter at Stadacona (Quebec). Decimated by scurvy and privations, and in extreme danger from the hostility of the Indians, he determined to return to France, taking with him the remnants of his expedition. On 3rd May, 1536, three days before leaving, he raised upon the river bank a cross 35 feet in height, on which was a shield bearing the Lilies of France, and an inscription:
"Franciscus Primus Dei Gratia Francorum Regnat."
As Cartier had returned and established their strong-hold at tidewater, near Quebec, so the survivors of the party of Pierre de Troyes at Niagara, in 1688, hoped they, too, might again return and repossess for their nation this centre from which they were so reluctantly retiring. These two events so far separated in time, are striking evidencesof the constancy with which these pioneers of France, even when seemingly overcome, showed their hopeful fidelity to King and to their religion.
The French in 1721 were, according to Charlevoix, once more in occupation.
The position of Fort Niagara, commanding the route to their series of forts on the lines of the Ohio and Mississippi, was considered by the French as second in importance only to that of Quebec, and consequently great store laid upon its possession. Under Jonquiere they added four bastions to the fort and erected a stone storehouse, called "The Castle," which is still to be seen. Further strengthenings were added by Capt. Puchot, of the Battalion of Bearne.
In 1759, notwithstanding Puchot's gallant defence, the fort was captured by the British, under Sir William Johnson, and thus both sides of the river came under British rule.
Three nationalities in succession had striven for its possession, the Indians, the French and the British, from whom it was never again taken by assault.
At the conclusion of the War of the Revolution the forts along the northern frontier were, by the Treaty of Paris, 1783, to be transferred to the United States. Fort Niagara, with some others, was held in hostage for the fulfillment of the reparations promised by the Federal Government of the United States to be made by the several States to the United Empire, and other Loyalists who had stood by the King during the Rebellion.
These reparations were never made, but after the guns had been removed to Fort George, on the Canadian side, the Union Jack was hauled down, and the fort handed over on 11th July, 1796.
The Stars and Stripes then remained in possession until the War of 1812, when in retaliation for the burning of Newark, the fort was assaulted and taken by storm by the British under Col. Murray on the night of 18th December, 1813, and the Union Jack was once more raised above it.
Matters remained in this position until in February, 1814, under the Treaty of Ghent, Fort Niagara was once more gracefully given over and again, and in peace, the Stars and Stripes took the place of the Red Cross Jack.
The name Niagara appears during the opening period of the British occupation to have been used generally for all parts of the neighborhood, but applied particularly to the old village on the east bank close under the walls of the old French fort.
Population now began to cross the river to the western side, and Abner Gilbert reports in 1761, the beginning of a village called Butlersberg, on the west shore, named after Colonel Butler, the Commander of the celebrated "Butler's Rangers" of the Revolutionary War, and which was afterwards largely settled by United Empire Loyalists.
This name was early changed to West Niagara in order to distinguish it from Fort Niagara.
At the advent of Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe, in 1791, and presumably at his instance, a new name Newark, after a town in Nottinghamshire, England, was given to this town on the west bank, and in 1792, by royal proclamation, the name Niagara was officially transferred from the town to the surrounding township.
Newark then became the seat of Government, and Capital of the Province of Upper Canada, and the place of residence of the Lieutenant-Governor. This distinction and advantage it enjoyed unrestrictedly until 1793, whenGovernor Simcoe removed his personal headquarters to the north side of the lake at Toronto, where he again indulged his fancy for changing names, by changing the then original name of Toronto, to that of York, in honor of a recent victory of H.R.H. the Duke of York in Flanders. Although Governor Simcoe had himself removed his residence to York, he received and entertained the Duc de Liancourt in 1795, at Newark. The Parliaments of Upper Canada continued to hold their sessions at Newark, and the town to be the official centre of the Province, until 1796, when Governor Russell, the successor of Governor Simcoe, finally removed the Provincial headquarters to York.
The loss of its prestige and official importance so incensed the inhabitants that they refused to continue the new name imposed upon them by Governor Simcoe and reverted at once to the name of West Niagara. The officialNiagara Gazette, which had hitherto been dated from Newark, changed its heading to West Niagara, and so continued until October, 1789, when it was first published from York. Finally in 1798 an Act of Parliament was obtained by the municipality restoring to the town its old name of Niagara.
Old names die hard, so we find John Maude, in 1800, mentioning the name of West Niagara, late Newark. Common usage seems to have generally retained the name of Newark, at all events as used by strangers. John Mellish, writing in 1811, says "I came down the opposite side of the river, the wind was blowing so hard that I could not cross to Newark."
On the 10th December, 1813, when every house in the town, except one, was burned by the American troops, who had obtained possession in the previous spring, but werenow retreating from it in consequence of the advance of the British troops under Col. Murray; the American General writing on the spot to the United States Secretary of War at Washington and describing in his official report of the position of affairs writes: "The village of Newark is now in flames." This destruction and the infliction of great privations upon the inhabitants and children, in the midst of a severe winter may have been justified under the plea of military exigency, but has always been considered inhuman. General McLure and his forces, however, retired so precipately across the river to the United States side that they left the whole 200 tents of their encampment at Fort George standing, and the new barracks which they had just completed untouched, so that we may hope that some of the women and children were not without temporary shelter.
With this total destruction in 1813 seems also to have passed away the name Newark, and the town arose from its ashes as Niagara.
In after times, as the towns and villages in this Niagara district increased in number, not a few difficulties were occasioned by a similarity of names, such as Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls Centre, Niagara South, Niagara, etc. In 1900 the name of Niagara-on-the-Lake was introduced as being a geographical and distinctive name, appropriate to the lakeside position. This, while not at first accepted by some of the older citizens, yet having been authorized by the Post Office Department, is now the correct address. The name is certainly one expressing the individuality of the town and its unexampled position as an interesting place of resort, and perhaps is better than that of Old Niagara, which some people still use in speaking of it.
It was into this Niagara River Realm, with all its historic past and passenger possibilities that we were about to enter.
Negotiations for the running arrangements had been continued during the winter months. TheChicorahaving been brought to Lake Ontario, and accepted as satisfactory for the Canadian Southern Railway, a term of years contract for the performance of the service in its combined rail and water route between Buffalo, Niagara and Toronto was negotiated, and after much debate and consideration had been drafted and settled with the officers and engrossed for final execution. An arrangement was also made by Hon. Frank Smith with the representatives of the Milloy Estate, the owners of theCity of Toronto, that the two steamers, theCityand theChicorashould run in concert, dividing the business between them and avoiding competition.
Everything looked well. The steamer herself as she approached completion increased in approbation, and the details for the traffic working had been satisfactorily arranged.
The writer resigned his position as General Freight and Passenger Agent of the Northern Railway of Canada, and received appointment (26th April, 1878), as Manager of the Niagara Navigation Company. In the preceding year Mr. Robert Kerr had been promoted from the charge of the through grain traffic to be Assistant General Freight and Passenger Agent of the Northern, and now succeeded to the full office, a position which he held with increasing satisfaction until 1884, when he transferred and entered into the service of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
A ticket office was opened by Mr. Cumberland for the Niagara route and the Upper Lakes, with Captain ThomasWyatt of the Inman Line, and C. W. Irwin, Customs Broker, at 35 Yonge street, under the then American Hotel on the north-east corner of Front and Yonge streets, now covered by the building of the Toronto Board of Trade. The agencies of all the ocean and inland steamship companies were at that time located either on Front or on Yonge streets, in this neighborhood. Donald Milloy, the agent of the Richelieu and Royal Mail Lines and theCity of Torontowas on the Front street side of the American Hotel, while this for Upper Lakes and theChicorawas on the Yonge street front.
In the beginning of May came a bolt from the blue. The opportunities for another steamer in the Niagara River route had evidently attracted the attention of other people as well as ourselves. There had been rumors that Mr. R. G. Lunt, of Fredericton, New Brunswick, might bring his fast river steamer theRothesayup to Lake Ontario, or the St. Lawrence River. His route on the St. John River between Fredericton and St. John had been spoiled by recent railway construction; he was thus open for a new route. Mr. Donald Macdonald of Toronto was his brother-in-law, so that he was not without local advice and influence. The announcement was now made that an arrangement had been come to between theCity of Torontoand theRothesayto run together on the Niagara route. The Hon. Frank Smith at once sent for Mr. Donald Milloy and was surprised to be told that the undertaking which had been made to run theCity of Torontoin connection with theChicora, would not be fulfilled and that it was not binding on the owners of the steamer. Needless to say Mr. Smith was enraged, and bringing his hand down with a decisive smash declared that he would see them through various places for their perfidy.
The CHICORA on Lake Ontario page 94The CHICORA on Lake Ontario page 94
Mr. Donald Milloy was then leaseholder from the Freeland Bros. of the Yonge street dock, Toronto, and refused to allow us to have a berth in it. The Milloy Estate owned the dock at Niagara, and at first would not let us in but satisfactory arrangements were made.
Here we were within six weeks of the opening of business without either dock or partner.
Arrangements for our connection at Lewiston were next sought. The only dock was owned by Mr. George Cornell. This was the connecting point with the New York Central Railway whose station was in the Upper Town about a mile distant from the landing; the passengers and baggage being transferred in the bus line run by Mr. Cornell. TheCityhad the exclusive rights of this dock at its upper end, close to the staircase, up and down which connection was made between the busses on the upper level and the steamers.
Cornell was not disinclined to favour the increased business which the new steamer would no doubt bring to his hotel and busses. We were thus enabled to lease the lower end of the dock, which was at once repaired and replenished, it not having been in use for many years—in fact, not since 1864-65, when all the large lake steamers were withdrawn and run down the rapids to be employed in service during the American Civil War.
Then began a permanent and friendly relation with the Cornells, father and son, which has been continued without a hitch or interruption through all these intervening years.
At Toronto, Mr. Donald Milloy still refused to allow us to run from his Yonge Street dock in connection with the other steamers, although we would have been very glad to do so. This dock is in many ways a much superiorboating point than any other, but as the next best place we secured entry at the west side of Yonge Street at "Mowat's Dock," afterwards called "Geddes' Dock," and now the "City Dock," our berth being along the face fronting the bay.
Another bolt was now to come. All the details of our contract with the Canada Southern had been settled early in the spring, the documents drawn and requiring only the signature of the President. Unfortunately at this juncture a change of control came and the Canada Southern passed into the hands of the Michigan Central, and under another President, who, on being interviewed at Cleveland, was quite pleasant, sent for the contract, read it over, but said decisively that it had not been signed and there would be no contract! In his opinion it was not desirable to make a term of years contract, tying his company to any one boat, but under the special circumstances, agreed to give us a connection. I pointed out that we had gone to all the risk and expense and had brought theChicoradown on the faith of that contract, but as he said he wouldn't adopt it, he was at once assured that we would work just as hard for expansion of the traffic and would earn and win his company's support, so we parted on friendly terms.
There was nothing else for it. We might just as well take it pleasantly for it was good to have even half a connection with one of the railways on the river. It certainly felt a disappointment not to have contract control of that section of the traffic, but one is disposed to think that it was for the best, and indeed has so proved. We have built our way up by providing, at the instance of the railways, all the requirements that that water traffic needs. It is better to deserve a route and hold it by efficient service formutual advantage, trusting to just and amicable endeavor on both sides, rather than to the rigid terms of a formal contract.
The importance of the ownership of landing places had been so impressed by the recent events that I availed of an opportunity, which offered to purchase the dock and water lot at Queenston, although the traffic at that point was then so light that it could scarcely be considered a port of call.
This British port at the head of Lake Ontario navigation at this upper end of "Queen's-ton" was the loyally-named co-relative and partner of "King's Ton" at the lower end. Its glory had been great, but had long departed, leaving little but the noted "Queenston Spring," whose pure and running waters still pour perennially from the side of the bank alongside the dock.
The purchase did not at that time receive much approval by some, but fully justified itself later on, and was the first step in that policy of acquiring the wharf properties at all points on our route, which has ever since been consistently followed by the company.
As we had expected that our intended partner would provide us with railway connections on the river and with ticketing arrangements for foreign business, we had not done much except in local preparations. The "City" refused to present us to the railway companies and tendered the "Rothesay" as her partner, as the railway companies loyally stood by their old connection, we were left out to do the best we could on our own account.
We had now to prepare all these matters for ourselves, a pretty considerable work of organization, but with energy and much overtime it was at length pushed through. The main difficulty was in the railway connectionvia Lewiston, and beyond Buffalo, where the railways would neither accept tickets for us, nor issue tickets over us. The New York Central authorities determined to stand by their old connections with the "City," and would not have any dealings with us. The Hon. Frank Smith interviewed Mr. Tillinghart, who was Superintendent and in charge of the Central interests in this district, placing before him the position which had been anticipated but had been disrupted, with the "City," but to no avail. It was a serious position and seemed well night unsurmountable. Some would have quailed and laid down.
TheRothesayarrived. She proved to be quite an impressive looking boat, about 180 feet in length, good beam, very roomy decks and central cabin; a more commodious boat than theCity. She was particularly well arranged as a "day" boat and was reputed to have a high rate of speed, as she soon proved she had. TheChicorashortly afterwards moved down the bay from the Northern docks to her station. The contrast between the two steamers was most noticeable, theRothesaywith high walking beam engine and broad skimming dish appearance, with the sea-going ability, and double red funnels of theChicora. It was evident that the main contest would be between these two boats.
TheCity of Toronto, as had for many years been usual, a custom coming down from the time when there were no railways around the head of the lake, opened the season on April 18th, leaving Toronto at 7 a.m., making only the one morning trip.
We had made our appointments in March, Captain Thomas Harbottle, the leading favorite of the Royal Mail Line, was placed in command. A ruddy-faced, jovial personage, with flowing Dundreary whiskers, inclining to grey,cordial manners, a good seaman, who held with ever-increasing respect and confidence the good-will of the Royal Mail Company and of the travelling public. Mr. J. Ellis, who had a good connection in Toronto and held full marine certificates, as captain on both Atlantic and Inland lakes, was appointed First Officer, and George Moore Chief Engineer. Alex. Leach continued as Purser.
The bookstand and lunch counter on the steamer were leased to a young man then in the employ of Chisholm Brothers, the proprietors of the similar privileges on the Richelieu & Ontario, and River St. Lawrence steamers.
As steamers were added by us, T. P. Phelan grew with the line. Subsequently he was entrusted with all the catering for the company. From this he advanced to similar business at all the refreshment stations of the Grand Trunk and Grand Trunk Pacific Railways, so that now the Canada Railway News Co. (which is T. P. Phelan) is the largest news and catering company in Canada.
The work of preparation had been completed and we drifted down to record the opening day of our first season. Our hats were in the ring.
A complimentary excursion to Niagara, leaving at 2.30 p.m., was given by the company on May 10th to a large list of guests, an introduction of the steamer which was much appreciated and approved.
The boat race in Toronto Bay between Hanlan and Ross on 15th May was availed of for an excursion to view the race.
We were still solving the problems on the Niagara River so our first business operation was in another direction, and it is somewhat interesting that this first trip was to Hamilton, being introduced by the following advertisement:
QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY24th May, 1878GRAND EXCURSION TO HAMILTONMagnificent SteamerCHICORA
Will leave Mowart's dock at 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. Returning will leave Hamilton at 10.15 a.m. and 6.15 p.m., calling at Ocean House, Burlington Beach, each way.Splendid Band of the Royal Engineer's Artillery Battalion.For the convenience of passengers the Steamer will call at Queen's Wharf on the outward trip in the morning. Single Return Tickets 75c. Double Return Tickets $1.00.
Will leave Mowart's dock at 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. Returning will leave Hamilton at 10.15 a.m. and 6.15 p.m., calling at Ocean House, Burlington Beach, each way.
Splendid Band of the Royal Engineer's Artillery Battalion.
For the convenience of passengers the Steamer will call at Queen's Wharf on the outward trip in the morning. Single Return Tickets 75c. Double Return Tickets $1.00.
Barlow Cumberland, Agent, 35 Yonge Street.GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.
The results were highly satisfactory, the public being anxious to see the steamer and interested in its progress. Another charter which was declined may be mentioned as being the establishing of a principle which was not departed from. A new Roman Catholic Church had been erected at Oakville, which was to be consecrated and opened with much eclat on a Sunday. At that time there were no trains run on Sundays on the Hamilton and Toronto Branch of the Great Western Railway, and the only way by which any very large contingent from Toronto could be expected to join in the ceremonies would be by making arrangements for an excursion by water. There would have been no legal objection to this, as the rigidity of Sunday legislation had not then been introduced. The Oakville authorities made application to charter theChicora, and as the President of the company was a Roman Catholic, and the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Toronto strongly supported the application, they felt assured of compliance. A goodly offer was made for a trip on the Sunday afternoon from Toronto to Oakville and back. The matter was considered by the Board and it was unanimously resolved that the Chicora would not be run on Sundays. One will not say that this decision was entirely due to religious considerations, although these, no doubt, were not without weight, but it was also settled upon plain business principles.
The steamer was entering a considerable contest and would need every care. In a competition with two steamers we needed to have our men and the boat keyed up to the highest efficiency. This could not be done if we ran the steamer across the lake on every day of the week. The maintenance of the regularity of the steamers and the reputation of the Niagara River Line has without doubt been considerably gained by confining the running to"week days only." The increasing requirements for through connections, particularly from the American Railways on the south shore, where Sunday trains have greatly increased, may some day bring about a change.
On Saturday, 1st June,Chicoraleft Toronto dock at 2.30 p.m. for a first regular afternoon excursion to Niagara, and on Monday, June 3rd, began her regular double trip service leaving at 7.05 a.m. and 2.05 p.m.
As matters on the Niagara River were still in process of organization we did not at first run beyond Niagara except on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons, when the full trip up the river to Lewiston was made.
It was very early found that the trip up the river is the main attraction to the route, giving, as it does, scenery unusual and without compare, a respite from the open lake and allowing a stroll on shore, either at Niagara or Lewiston, while awaiting the return journey.
From the very beginning the competition was a whirlwind. Mr. Lunt was an adept at steamboat competition and it was our business to go him one better, and also to have our steamer and facilities made as widely known as possible to the travelling public.
At Toronto the entrances to the two docks, alongside one another on the Esplanade, were trimmed with "speilers," who finally expanded up Yonge Street to Front, and even to King Street. One thing insisted on, so far as our men were concerned, was that there should be no decrying of the character or condition of the rival boats.
Our tickets were put into the hands of every Ticket Office, Broker, Insurance or Real Estate Agent in Toronto, whether up-town or down-town, who would take them in, provided one thing only, that he had an office opening onthe street. Every hotel porter, with his sisters, his cousins, and his aunts, was created a friend, and the itinerant cab was just as welcome as the official bus. We were out to get business from every quarter.
TheCityin previous years had issued a ticket at $10 to members of one family for ten round trips on any afternoon. We put a general rate on of $1.00 without any restrictions, and by gradual reductions it reached 50 cents on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons. This was a round trip rate which had been introduced by theSouthern Bellein 1877 for the afternoons of Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday on her route from York Street (Tinning's Wharf) to Niagara and return. We now extended it to Lewiston and return, giving a view of the really splendid scenery of the river which had never previously been opened at reduced rates. The public quickly took in the idea and gave us business. In addition to general business, we energetically worked up the Society and Church excursions, becoming an unpleasant thorn in the sides of those who had so summarily thrown us over and whom we were now obliged to attack. It was in this season that the Caledonian Society made their first excursion with us, a connection and comradeship which in all the thirty-four years has never once been interrupted.
Matters on the other side of the lake were somewhat different. We had no railway connections to issue tickets over us or direct passengers to our boat. We had to provide for this entirely of ourselves, having thus to promote business on both sides of the route. Printer's ink was extensively used by newspaper advertisements, descriptive folders, dodgers and timetables. A large and excellent framed colored lithograph of the Steamer was issued with the lettering:
THE NIAGARA NAVIGATION COMPANY'SSTEAMERCHICORAPLYING BETWEENTORONTO—NIAGARA—LEWISTON.HON. FRANK SMITH, BARLOW CUMBERLAND,President. Manager.
THE NIAGARA NAVIGATION COMPANY'SSTEAMER
CHICORA
PLYING BETWEEN
TORONTO—NIAGARA—LEWISTON.
HON. FRANK SMITH, BARLOW CUMBERLAND,President. Manager.
These being largely distributed to the hotels and ticket offices introduced the steamer in her new conditions. There was no use running the boat unless we fully advised the public of herself and movements, but all this advertising, and introduction, cost much expense in money and energy.
The ticketing arrangements on the south shore were somewhat difficult. Passenger business thirty years ago was conducted under very different conditions from such as exist at present. There were no official regulations, no State or Inter-State, Authorized Tariffs, no Railway Commissioners. Each railway and each passenger department was a law unto itself to be guided and regulated by whatever conditions or rates might at the time be considered most desirable for the promotion of its own business by the officers in charge.
Ticket "scalping" abounded, being looked upon by the public as a protection against the uncontrolled ratings by the railways, and a promoter of competition where combination might otherwise be effectual. There were several Associations of "Ticket Scalpers," some of much power and reliability, but all were equally denounced by the railways. Yet there were in fact not a few instances where the regular issues of some of the (for the time-favoured)railway companies might be found in an under drawer of some of these unauthorized servants of the public. These energetic workers were our opportunity. All the principal Scalping Offices between Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New York, Albany, Rochester, and Lewiston, were stocked with books of tickets reading over our steamer, or to Toronto and return. The rates were, of course, such that they could obtain both profit and business. There was no use mincing matters, we were in the fight to win out. Through these sources we managed to get quite a business, being represented in each town by from two to four scalp offices, in large cities even more, and, tell it not in Gath, with very friendly arrangements in some of the regular offices as well.
The amount of personal travelling and introduction was laborious, but was pleasant, in renewing acquaintanceships and connections formed as General Passenger Agent of the Northern Railway when working up the new Couchiching and Muskoka tourist business introduced in the several preceding years.
It was in this season of 1878 that the converging railways in the districts spreading from the south and southwest towards Buffalo, began a system of huge excursions for three days to Niagara Falls and return, on special trains both ways, and at rates for the round trip not far from, and often less, than single fare. Most of these separate railways have since been merged into some one or other of the main Trunk Lines, but then they were independent and each sending in its quota on its own account to make up a "Through Special." The most successful excursions of these were the series which came every week from the then Wabash District, from Indiana and thesouthwest, and were known as the "Friendly Hand" excursions. The name arose from a special trade mark which appeared in all the Wabash folders and announcements, of an outstretched hand with the thumb and fingers spread, on each of which was shown the line and principal stations of each one of the contributing railways that fed their excursions into the main stem. The excursionists were energetic, and although the "Falls" was the focus of their route, we induced large numbers of them to cross over to Toronto. A prevailing slogan was: