FOOTNOTES:[5]"Adventure Magazine," New York, Jan. 1911.
[5]"Adventure Magazine," New York, Jan. 1911.
[5]"Adventure Magazine," New York, Jan. 1911.
No wonder that after his recital of her prowess, much as we had esteemed the bonnie ship, we now thought all the more of her, for as ill the times of her previous owners, so now in ours, there appeared to be a sort of living sprite within her frames, evidencing a spirit of life, and consciousness, as that of a fond friend, as well as a faithful servant. Perhaps it is this very affection which arises between a man and his ship that has led to all vessels being spoken of in the feminine, and familiarly as "she." Perhaps, however it may be that it comes from their kittenish "kittly-cattly" ways, for you never know what a vessel will do, until you have tried her.
1890 brought us still further on the way to success. The business was fast increasing, under the more frequent services and the spread of advertising, and solicitation. So much was this the case that the possibility of placing another steamer on the route began to be debated, not only by ourselves, but by other people who were looking on.
A small American steamer had been running between Lewiston and Youngstown, and there was some talk of putting on another. Rumors also spoke of an electric line to be built between these points to more closely connect the troops of the American Garrison at Fort Niagara with theforces of the State of New York. We thought, therefore, it would be as well to obtain the dock at Youngstown, to which rail connections could be made, and also to create an American company, under which American steamers could be owned and operated by us, should it at any time be thought well to do so.
The "Niagara River Navigation Co., Limited," was then formed under a charter obtained from the State of New York, and the stock subscribed and paid up by members of the Niagara Navigation Co. families, the Board being,—John Foy, President; Barlow Cumberland, Vice-President, and three gentlemen of Buffalo, directors.
The Youngstown Dock, which had been privately purchased, and is the dock down to which the railway track of 1885 ran, was taken over by this American company, and some people, whom it had been suggested might put on American steamers to run in competition with the Niagara Navigation Company, were informed that we were empowered, and quite ready to meet them under their own condition, so they drew in their horns and nothing more was heard of the matter.
A policy was formulated which has ever since been maintained, of adding steamers as the traffic, and new developments showed might be required and to add them even in advance of actual requirements.
From the position of its ports, and the variable requirements of the connecting lines, the Niagara River Line can be best handled by one stable company, in full control of docks at all the landing places, and with a number of steamers sufficient to meet all possible emergencies of sudden demands of travel as they arrive at different times on the several railway connections on both sides of the lake. The very flexibility of the service ensures adequate provisionto keep the largest excursion business moving without delay, and with convenience from whatever quarter or connection it may at any hour come.
In 1891 Captain McGiffin was promoted to command ofCibolain succession to Captain McCorquodale, who after having given fullest satisfaction and faithful service, had died during the previous season. Captain W. H. Solmes, of Picton, was now appointed toChicora.
In this year began the project for the construction of theNiagara Falls Park and River Railwayon the Canadian side, following the bank of the river from Niagara Falls to Queenston and being the first electric railway to be built in this vicinity on either side of the river.
Electrical traction was then in its infancy. No better evidence of this can be given than the fact that although the Canadian Electric Railway Company had ample surplus power in their development at the Horseshoe Falls, yet the electrical engineers of the day, reported that the cost of wiring and the loss in transmission of power for the only seven miles to Queenston, would be prohibitive to commercial economy. An additional equipment for development of electricity by steam was therefore installed on the river side at Queenston to help the power current from the Falls in operating the cars up the zig-zag to the top of the Queenston Heights.
This power house is shown in the view taken from the Heights and continued to be used until 1898, when the improvements in electrical transmission enabled it to be abandoned and full power brought from the company's water power house at the Falls.
The zig-zag series of curves by which the double track railway winds its way up the face of the Niagara escarpment from the dock to the summit at Brock's Monumentis considered one of the achievements of Mr. Jennings, who was the engineer for the construction of this Canadian Power and Electrical R.R. Company, and had previously done some notable work for the Canadian Pacific Railway on the Fraser River and Rocky Mountain sections. As the cars wind up and approach the summit, a splendid and far distant landscape is opened to the view, one which the Duke of Argyle considered to be one of the "worthy views of the world." Below are the terraces and color-chequered fields of the vineyards, the peach and fruit orchards of this "Garden of Canada." Through these variegated levels the Niagara River curves in its silvered sheen to Lake Ontario where the blue waters close in the far horizon.
From Queenston Heights this electric railway skirts the edges of the cliffs above the great gulf in the depths of which the Niagara rapids toss and foam, and then circling around the sullen swirlings of the fatal Whirlpool, lands the tourist within the spray of the great Cataract itself.
Our ownership of the dock and the waterfront at Queenston, purchased so many years before, now proved its foresight and facilitated the making of arrangements with the new Electric Railway for an interchange of business. As a result it was now determined that a fourth steamer should be added to the Niagara River Line, and thus provision was made for the new connection and the increased business which would arise from its introduction.
This new connection apparently to the river was, after all, but the revival of the oldPortage Routeon the Canadian side, which had so long existed between Chippawa and the head of navigation at this point, but not exactly on the same location and had passed away upon the diversion of business to other routes.
The CHIPPEWA in Drydock at Kingston, Bow. (page 184)The CHIPPEWA in Drydock at Kingston, Bow. (page 184)
The CHIPPEWA in Drydock at Kingston, Stern.The CHIPPEWA in Drydock at Kingston, Stern.
As the steamer lies at the Queenston Dock, the eye naturally sweeps upward over the cedar clad slopes of the Niagara escarpment toward the striking monument which crowns its heights. The reminiscences are those of martial strife, when on the 13th of October, 1812, contestants met in mortal conflict. In fancy we can see the foemen moving upon the slopes, the American forces gain the Heights, the heroic General Brock leads his men in bold attack to regain possession, and falls at their head mortally wounded. Reinforcements under General Sheaffe come from the west along the summit of the cliffs, the contest is renewed; Indians are seen gleaming among the trees, they drive the invaders over the brink to fall into the rapids below, and at length the American forces with two Generals and seven hundred men lay down their arms and are taken prisoners. But there are other phases much more ancient of this head of navigation and its portages.
Under the hill there can be discerned beneath the shadow of the Height the old road leading up from the lower level of the dock to the upper level upon which, what is left of the Town of Queenston stands. It is marked and scarred with the ruts of many decades and full of memories. Upon these slopes the Indian made his way to the waterside at the Chippewa creek. Here came the trappers with their bales of furs brought down from the far North-West. Here came thevoyageur tradersof France with beads and gew-gaws for barter with the Indians, and later the English with blankets and firearms.
In the earliest days two portages were available, one on each side of the river, but during the French period and for long, long after the one on the past side from Lewiston was mainly used, its terminus at Lake Erie being calledPetite Niagaraas distinctive from the greatFort Niagaraat its lower end.
With the end of the war of the Revolution, Capt. Alexander Campbell of the 12th Regiment, was sent by Lord Dorchester to report on the portages. In reporting in 1794 he mentions that the American portage was at a steep bank just below the rapids, to the foot of which the batteaux were poled with difficulty and the contents raised by winch and hawser to the upper level some 60 feet above. On the Canadian side at Queenston the eddy was more favorable and there were, he said, four vessels waiting to be unloaded and sixty waggons working on the portage. In consideration of the expected transfer of Fort Niagara he thought it would be better to improve the mouth of the Chippewa Creek and adopt the all-Canadian side instead of sending up supplies on the Fort Niagara side toSchlosserto be boated across toFort Erie.
Mr. Robert Hamilton, afterwards Hon. Robert, sized up the situation and built a new dock and storehouse on what afterwards turned out to be Government property at theChippaway River. He had early appreciated the value of the portage and had established a large transfer business across it. Becoming the chief personage of the neighborhood he had in 1789 changed the name of its northern terminus toQueenstoninstead of theWest Landingby which it had previously been known.
With these increased facilities and to his own great profit he in time secured the bulk of the portage trade.
In 1800 John Maude mentions that three schooners and 14 teams were lying at the dock at Queenston on one day, and that from 50 to 60 teams a day passed over the Portage, the rate for freight being 20 pence New York currency per hundred pounds between Queenston and Chippewa.
When the greattrekfrom Maine and Massachusetts began to the Western States of Michigan and Illinois, this Queenston road was mostly taken by the wandering land seekers, it being adopted by them then as the short cut across the Peninsula to the Detroit River instead of the long detour along the south shores of Lake Erie, just as at present the Michigan Central, Wabash and Grand Trunk Railways cross from the Falls on this shortest route to the west.
The waggons with their horses, having come to Lewiston from Albany and Rochester by the Ridge Road, were placed upon the batteaux to cross the river, and although at first carried far down by the current on the eastern side were easily taken by the eddy up the west shore to the landing place at Queenston. Up this inclined road to the upper tier, in imagination one can see the lines of immigrants, with their teams and canvas topped wagons, in long extended line seeking the far West for their new homes and great adventures.
So great was the traffic in this direction that, in 1836 a "horse boat" was employed on the ferry and the first Suspension Bridge at Queenston was promoted in 1839 to accommodate the movement from the East towards the West. At present except when a Niagara Navigation Co. steamer is alongside, all is so quiet it seems scarcely possible that this landing place could at one time have been the centre of such busy movement.
The re-opening revived also the memories of an oft told narrative of a little family, which years before had arrived over the portage route, at this same dock at Queenston, and made their first acquaintance with the Niagara River and its navigation.
Mr. Fred W. Cumberland, our late Director, and his wife had come to the opinion that the position which theheld on the Engineering Staff, in Her Majesty's dockyard at Portsmouth, did not represent such a future as they would desire, and therefore they determined to emigrate to Canada. In the spring of 1847 they took passage on a sailing ship, bringing with them their ten-months-old baby. After a voyage of six weeks they reached New York, from where they came by Hudson River steamer to Albany, where they spent the night. From here they came by steam railroad at the unexpected speed of "twenty miles an hour." And again, as was usual, for there were no night trains, broke their journey and stayed over night at Syracuse, 171 miles, where there was a fine large hotel, and the following day leaving 8.00 a.m., arrived at Buffalo at 9.00 p.m. Leaving Buffalo next morning they came by steamer down the Niagara River to Chippawa, where they took the "horse railroad" for Queenston to join the steamer for Toronto.
The terminus at Queenston of the horse railroad was at the end of the "stone road," near the hotel above the road leading down to the steamer. Just when arrived at this, the car went off the track, and while Mr. Cumberland was endeavoring to extract their belongings, Mrs. Cumberland, the baby, and a young clergyman, the Rev. G. Salter, who had crossed the Atlantic on the same ship with them, were carried off on the steamer for Toronto, and the father was left behind. It was amusingly told, how, after they had landed at the foot of Church Street, and were walking up into the town, Mr. Salter, who had been consigned to an appointment under the Rev. Dr. John Strachan, then Bishop of Toronto, wondered what his Bishop would say if he should chance to meet his new curate with another man's wife and carrying a baby as he entered his Diocese. The baby was Barlow Cumberland, who then made hisfirst steamboating on the Niagara River, on which he was afterwards to be so actively engaged.
It was determined that the new steamer should be a further advance in size and equipment to prepare for the increased traffic now to be fed from both sides of the river. Additional capital was therefore required, of which part was provided by the Niagara Company, and part by the introduction of new stockholders, including Mr. E. B. Osler, and Mr. William Hendrie.
Here, in 1892, the purely family relationship of the first members of the Company closed, the stock holdings being more widely spread and the Board increased from five members to seven.
The services of Mr. Frank Kirby, of Detroit, the most accomplished designer of passenger steamers, were engaged, the plans made, the tenders of the Hamilton Bridge & Shipbuilding Co. accepted for the hull, boilers and upper-works, and the engines contracted for with W. Fletcher Co., of New York, the builders of the fastest marine engines on the Hudson and the Upper Lakes. Mr. Geo. H. Hendrie left the next day for Scotland to arrange for the materials.
Cibola, Capt. McGiffin, andChicora, Capt. Solmes, conducted the season 1892 with good success. Work on the new steamer was commenced at Hamilton.
Again the question of a new name arose, and this time it was considered that the name should still be Indian, but of Canadian origin. Thus the nameChippewawas selected as that of a renowned Canadian tribe of Indians which had flourished in the Niagara River District, and also as a renewal of the name of H.M. sloopChippewa, upon which General Brock had sailed on Lake Erie. It will be noted that the name is not that of the village andpostoffice of Chippawa, but is spelled with an "e," being that of the Indian tribe. A fine carving of a Chippewa Chieftain's head, taken from Catlin's collection of Indian portraits, is placed on the centre of each paddle box, similarly as a rampant Buffalo had previously been placed on those of theCibola. On 2nd May, 1893, the steamer was successfully launched in the presence of many of the citi-townsman, Mr. William Hendrie, and of a number of visitors from Buffalo, Toronto and Montreal. The name was given and the bottle gallantly broken by Miss Mary Osler, daughter of Mr. E. B. Osler, and Miss Mildred Cumberland, daughter of Mr. Barlow Cumberland.Chippewa, theIndian Chief, was the first of our vessels to be constructed of steel. Her tonnage is 1,574 tons. Length, 311 feet; beam, 36, and is authorized to carry 2,000 passengers in lake service. The interior arrangements were more convenient and spacious than any previously, and an innovation was the addition of a hurricane deck, upon which ample space for passengers is provided. TheChippewahad satisfactorily passed through her trial trips, and in May, 1894, the steamer, completed in every respect, sailed from Hamilton to take up her station on the Niagara Route. A goodly number of railway and steamboating officials and friends were on board under the leadership of Sir Frank Smith.
Our steamers were that year running from Geddes' (now the City) Dock, as we had again, for the fourth time, been turned out of Milloys. Mr. William Fletcher, the builder of the engines, had come up from New York and was in charge of the motive department. It was a Saturday afternoon.Chicorawas occupying the face of the dock, soChippewahad to come in on the west side. By some mischance she was not stopped soon enough andmade her entry into Toronto by driving her nose some five or six feet into the wooden timber of the side of the Esplanade. The steamer seemed scarcely in motion, yet cut into the heavy timbers as though they had been matches. When backed out no damage was done excepting the loss of a little paint on the bow. The party landed, the Buffalo and New York visitors with Mr. Fletcher going off onChicoraamid hearty exchange of greetings.
The introduction of a third boat on the Main Line made an exceeding difference in the frequency of the services, and again was at first a good deal in excess of the demand, or of business offering.
A new trip was introduced by theChicoraleaving Toronto at 9 a.m., staying over at Lewiston and returning in the afternoon, making one round trip. The whole departure being five trips; 7.00 a.m., 9.00 a.m., 11.00 a.m., 2.00 p.m., 4.45 p.m. This 9.00 a.m. trip was not a success during its early years, but gradually gained in importance.
Chippewa(Capt. McGiffin),Cibola(Capt. W. H. Solmes),Chicora(Capt. Jas. Harbottle), closed the season of 1894, in which much more activity was produced, and good evidences given of growth to be expected in the future.
In effecting its growth the route continued to be exceedingly assisted by the energies and assistance of the connecting Railway Company's officers.Mr. D. M. Kendrickhad succeeded Mr. Meeker, and he in turn, in 1887, followed byMr. Henry Monett. A most notable advance was begun during this regime, an entirely new idea being evolved. The reputation of the New York Central Railway for the regularity and character of its trains and service had been well created, but up to that time the Erie Railway, by persistent advertising, had been established in the minds of the public as "the only scenic" route between Buffalo and NewYork. Mr. Monett instituted a series of descriptive and illustrative announcements developing theMohawk Valley, through which the New York Central runs, as being "the really most beautiful" route, passing through the scenery of the romantic valley of the Mohawk and the mountain heights of the Hudson with all the advantages of"a water-level line" following the coursings of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers, and so giving a perfect night's rest.
It was a novelty and an inducement which caught the public idea, and added attraction to efficient service.
Owing to the early death of Mr. Monett in 1888,Mr. E. J. Richardsfollowed as Acting General Passenger Agent to 1889, with his intimate knowledge of the passenger requirements he gathered in and secured the business which Mr. Monett's methods had begun to attract. During his periodCibolawas added to our line.
With the career of his successorMr. George H. Daniels, (1889 to 1905) there was a still further expansion of the advertising method of attracting business to the great railway, whose train service was of the highest development. The celebrated pamphlets known as the "Four Track" series under Mr. Daniels led the way in railway advertising publications, introducing methods which since then have been so extensively followed and applied by all the principal railways. As an instance of widespread advertisement, no less than four millions of the one issue of the "Four Track" series which contained "The Message to Garcia" were distributed to the public, the demand for copies exhausting edition after edition.ChippewaandCoronawere both added during Mr. Daniel's term.
During the later changes in the Head Offices the local passenger representation in the Buffalo and Western district had been held in succession byMr. E. J. WeekesandMr. H. Parry. No railway was ever better served, nor its patrons more firmly secured in friendship.
Equally successful assistance was given byMr. A. W. RugglesandMr. Underwoodof the Michigan Central Railway, which with its quickest route to Buffalo direct from Niagara-in-the-Lake was specially developed.
Thus in a series of years, steamer after steamer had been added, each of the highest capacity, so that by mutual energy the good reputation of the route had been advanced and traffic gradually created, for, as each steamer was put on it created at first a surplus of accommodation, and an increase of running expenses until later the passenger trade had again worked up to the capacity. It is beyond question that the character and satisfaction of the steamers provided on a combined rail and water route have more to do with the attracting of business than even the land facilities on the railways. It is to produce this result that the railway companies steadily support the established steamboat lines in private ownership which have been developed in connection with them, as being the best way to secure fullest facilities for the public, and efficient service for themselves.
With three "Line" steamers and five trips a day, the route kept on steadily developing, the service being attractive, and the line kept well before the public, but the season's traffic produced nothing of particular notice.
During 1895 came a set-back, and unfortunate loss, byCibolataking fire one night when lying alongside the dock at Lewiston. The upper works were entirely burned off and the hull, having been set adrift, floated down the river as far as Youngstown, where it was secured and brought to the dock.Ciboladuring her career had proved herself an efficient steamer, fast, economical, and satisfactory in all weathers.
Business had not so greatly increased that the remaining two main line steamers could not continue to sufficiently meet the service, so far as it then required, but immediate steps were taken to replace her loss and make ready for the requirements of the new electric railway then contemplated on the American side from the Falls to Lewiston. Mr. Angstrom, who had already done some excellent work as a marine architect, made the new design, and a contract was let to the Bertram Engine and Shipbuilding Company, Toronto, for a steamer 272 feet in length, 32 ft.6 inches beam, 2,000 horse-power, with a capacity for 2,000 passengers, being larger than theCibola. There was not this time so much difficulty in the selection of a name, as that ofCoronasuggested by Lady Smith, was readily adopted. This name was all the more appropriate from the fact that the "halo of bright rays" which are shot out and appear on a total eclipse of the sun is called the "Corona of the Sun." In this instance the new steamerCoronawas succeeding the eclipse of theCibola, and represented the hopes and new conditions of the "bright sun ray."
The steamer was successfully launched at the yards at the foot of Bathurst street, on the 25th May, 1896, the sponsors being Miss Mildred Cumberland, daughter of the Vice-President, and Miss Clara Foy, daughter of the General Manager.
The season of 1897 with three steamers all making double trips brought the introduction of the six trips a day, a service which fully provided for the new connection then opened, and for the increases which gradually came in several subsequent years.
TheNiagara Falls Park Electric Railway, then already in operation on the Canadian side between the Falls and Queenston running on the upper level follows the river banks of the Gorge, overlooking it from these heights and adding views of the far vistas of the surrounding country and up and down the river.
The new Electric Railway, on the American side, put into full working operation in this year, and known as theGorge Line, was constructed far down in the Gorge, just a little above the waters edge, following the curvings of the river, beneath the cliffs, and giving opportunity for cominginto immediate proximity with the tossing rapids on this lower part of its torrents.
The construction of this railway from the Falls to Lewiston was the work of Messrs. Brinker & Smith, of Buffalo, and in boldness of conception, and overcoming of intense difficulties in construction, is a record of great determination and ability.
How the FALLS have cut through the GORGE.How the FALLS have cut through the GORGE.
A round trip on both these lines, going up on one and returning by the other, and crossing the river on the cars at the Upper Bridge, reveals all the glorious scenery of the Niagara River between the Falls where they now are and the Niagara Escarpment at Queenston Heights, where the geologists tell us the Falls once fell over the cliffs to thelower level. It is estimated that from this place of beginning of the chasm which they have cut out of the strata of the intervening rocks, from 16,000 to 25,000 years, according to different views, have been spent in reaching to their present position and they are still continuing to cut their way back further up the river.
The process by which this has been done can be clearly seen by noticing on the sides of the cliffs that the several layers of limestone strata lie flat above one another, with large softer layers and deposits between each. The waters of the river at the upper level pour over the edge of the topmost rock ledge, and the reverberations and spray then wash out the intervening sand and softer layers, so that the rock strata becoming unsupported break off, and fall down into the gulf. In this way the chasm has year after year been bitten back.
When leaving the dock on the Niagara River Line steamers at Lewiston, or coming up the river from Niagara-on-the-Lake, it is enthralling to look up at these great cliffs, and in imagination casting the mind back into the centuries, see the mighty river as it once poured its torrents direct in one concentrated mass from the edge of these heights into the open river lying at their feet.
What a stupendous spectacle it must have been; yet, though wondrous, not more beautiful than the distant glimpses now gleaming through the shadowed portal between the cliff-sides clad with verdure and cedar, dominated by the shaft of the monument to the heroes of theQueenston Heights.
The acquiring of landing terminals on the Niagara River was further expanded in 1899, by the purchase from the Duncan Milloy Estate of the docks atNiagara-on-the-Lake. In addition to the wharves this property includesthe shipyard of the old-time Niagara Dock Company, whose launching slips for the many steamers which they constructed are still in evidence. On the doors of the large warehouse alongside the wharf, there were then still to be traced the faint remains of the names of some of the vessels, which of old time used to ply to the port. The ground floor of the building appears to have been divided into sections, in which space for the freightage or equipment of each of the several vessels was allotted. Over the door of each section were the names for the occupants, as originally painted.
Schooners—Canada,Commr. Barrie,Cobourg,United Kingdom,St. George,William IV.,Great Britain.
These names were now carefully restored. The steamers which ran regularly on the Niagara route have already been mentioned, these others used the port as convenient for laying up for the winter, with the advantage of the proximity of the dockyard for repairs. TheCobourgbuilt at Gananoque in 1833, ran between Toronto and Kingston, with Lieutenant Elmsley, R.N. in command. TheSt. Georgewas built in Kingston in 1834, and was mainly occupied between lake ports on the North Shore Route.
These doorways and the names now easily read above them bring us into immediate contact with the early enterprises on the river and form connecting links between the navigation interests under the opening conditions and those of the present time. The route has the charm of a constant unravelling of history.
Another wraith there is in connection with this Niagara dock which cannot be omitted. For many years a passenger on the incoming steamers would see a man in conductor's uniform standing on the dock watching the arrival. This was Mr. Miles, conductor of the Mail Express train,which ran on the Erie and Niagara branch between Buffalo and Niagara-on-the-Lake twice each day; on which with never failing regularity he made his double round trip each day for almost twenty years. Through three changes of ownership and several passenger agents "Paddy" Miles, as he was generally called, held his position and so dominated conditions that the train came to be known as "Paddy Miles' train," and the Branch as "Miles' Railway." He was superintendent, train dispatcher, and general passenger agent, in his own opinion, all moulded into one, and acted accordingly. As he stood on the dock with hands thrust deep into his breeches pockets and a scowl upon his forehead, he seemed to consider it was rank treason for anyone to pass up the river and not get off and use his train. Yet this was only on the surface, for Paddy was at heart a good soul, who took a very personal interest in the earnings of his Branch.
TheBuffalo Expositionof 1900, bringing together as it did tourist business from all parts of the continent and of the world, threw exceptional business over the line. It may be said with certainty that every tourist who visits the American continent visits without fail the Niagara Falls, as one of the great wonders of the world. With the expanded facilities which have been given him, a very large proportion also visit the Niagara River and its water attractions, and cross the lake to Canada at Toronto. This was clearly evidenced at the Buffalo Exposition, and the largely increasing traffic then arising, all of which was satisfactorily dealt with, without any shortcomings or mishap.
In January, 1901, Sir Frank Smith died, being the second of the original Board to pass away. His judgment, forceful determination, and large capital, had been main-springsin the creation and establishment of the line of steamers whose beginnings he had promoted. Mr. J. J. Foy was elected President in his place.
It was during this year, (1901) that their Royal Highnesses theDuke and Duchess of York(now King George V. and Queen Mary) made their remarkable tour through the overseas part of the British Empire. One portion of their visit to Canada included the Niagara district, and a rest of several days in privacy and quiet at Niagara-on-the-Lake, theQueen's Royalbeing specially set apart for their use. On October 10th, they visited the Queenston Heights, Brock's Monument, and the Niagara Falls, by special cars of the Niagara Falls Park Electric Railway. TheCoronawas used by the Royal visitors as a private yacht from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Queenston and return.
It is a fact worthy of noting that both here and during the whole of their nine months of travel around the world, their Royal Highnesses never placed foot on any other than British ship or British soil.
During the time theChippewawas under construction in 1891, the Dominion Government had become proprietors of the dry dock at Kingston, and were making considerable improvements. The attention of the department was drawn to the fact that if completed as then designed, the dock would not be of sufficient length to take in theChippewa, which would, when launched, be the largest steamer on Lake Ontario. Further construction had therefore been made, by which the pontoon gate which closed the entrance, could be moved fifteen feet further out when required, to enable the steamer to be taken in.
The CAYUGA in Niagara River off Youngstown. page 188The CAYUGA in Niagara River off Youngstown.page 188
In the spring of 1902 the time had come for theChippewato be placed in dock for the usual inspection. It was then found that the outer place for the gate had never been used, the local authorities stated that they could not change its position and that, therefore, theChippewacould not be taken into the dock. This was a poser for the steamer was too long for the dock as it existed. With Captain McGiffin I visited Ottawa to see if any influence could be brought up on the local authorities to get them to furnish us with the full length. We here met with a reception which was a specially valued reminiscence of an able parliamentarian. The Hon. Israel Tarte, a French-Canadian, had recently been appointed to be Minister of Public Works, and here he fully sustained the wide reputation he had elsewhere acquired for quick decision and immediate instruction. We suggested that if the gate could not be moved back, a space could be cut out of the stone steps at the inner end of the dock, so as to enable the prow of theChippewato extent between them.
On hearing our request, Mr. Tarte called in his Chief, asked if it could be done, being assured that it could added "Can you go to Kingston to-night and arrange for it?" The next morning work was begun in the dock so that the steamer could be taken in. Vessel men who had been accustomed to the slow and deliberate methods which had previously existed, greatly appreciated the changes which for the improvement of our local business from the City of Toronto.
It has often been noted that a Saturday half holiday is almost universally taken by the citizens of Toronto. In fact not a few of the travelling men from the United States have said that there is no use coming to Toronto to do business on Saturday, as everyone is closing up for their afternoon trip. In the attaining of this condition the Niagara Navigation Company has had much to do, as the result of persistent advocacy.
With the increasing steamers we had abundant deck room which we desired to fill, particularly for the afternoon trip. This might be effected by getting the employers of some of the specific lines of business to close their establishments at 1 o'clock on Saturdays.
An "Early closing movement" was quietly inaugurated, groups engaging in the same business were canvassed and agreements arranged for simultaneous closing. The retail music stores were the first to put up the notices, and were followed by other lines of trade, as the public took gladly to the idea, until in four or five years the practice became well nigh universal and a "Saturday afternoon for Recreation, Sunday for rest" had been obtained. That it has been a boon to many is without doubt, and the City is the better for the many outings which are now available for the Saturday afternoon holiday.
Thus do great things from little movements grow.
Mr. John Foy was appointed President in February, 1902, and Mr. B. W. Folger, who had done splendid service in the steamboating interests in the Thousand Islands and St. Lawrence River was appointed General Manager. With him began a whole series of improvements and of expansion, which has continued with increasingly good results.
The regularity with which the steamers of the Niagara Line have made their passages has always been proverbial, contributed to by the seaworthiness of the vessels and the seamanship of their officers. From earliest days, but since somewhat modified, we had adopted the principle learned from theKingstonandHolyheadmail steamers, whose route was somewhat analogous to ours, a quick run across open water with a narrow entrance at each end, that it was best to run the steamer at a regular gait and evenin fog except in the vicinity of other vessels to hold her course, and when off the port to stop until certain.
Sometimes there have been longish passages. One Saturday morning in August, 1903, theChippewaleft Toronto at 7 a.m. during a strong gale with a heavy sea from the east. A thick fog was found enveloping the south shore extending some five miles out. On gaining the Bell Buoy off Niagara and not being able to see anything, Captain McGiffin, rather than run any risk, determined to keep close to the buoy ready to run in should the fog lift. Here during all day and evening he remained within sound of the bell, coming up to and dropping away again under the heavy sea, until at last the lights on the land could be seen andChippewacame alongside the dock at 11.50 p.m., 16 hours from Toronto! No other steamer was on the Lake that day. McGiffin kept his passengers well fed and for his carefulness and judgment was advanced to position of "Commodore."
A similar episode of carefulness had taken place in 1886, on theCibolaunder Captain McCorquodale, when he similarly held his place off the port in a fog from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. Both considered it was better to be sure than to be sorry.
In those early days the engines of the Michigan Central, would in emergency be placed with their head lights facing out on the river, and their whistles blown to guide the steamers in, but since then the large range lights have been installed by the Government, and made entrance easier.
It was under the leadership of such men as these that the officers of the company were trained up, its rules and traditions formed, and stability of service encouraged. There are not a few officers and men who have been fromten to twenty years in the service, earnest in their profession, careful of the public and loyal to the company, which from the time of its inception has endeavored to treat them as members of a family gathering.
On the death of Mr. John Foy in December, 1904, he was succeeded in the Presidency by Mr. E. B. Osler (knighted 1913), who ever since he had entered the company, had always taken a very active interest in its progress and hereafter took a still more intimate share in directing its policy and development.
Under virile management the business on the route kept fast increasing and it became evident that more accommodation should be supplied even before it might become absolutely necessary. It was therefore determined to build another steamer, which in speed and size would be a still further step forward and would be ready for any adverse competitors should any happen to arise. Mr. Folger visited Great Britain to make inquiries and on his return Mr. Angstrom was again engaged to prepare the designs for the new steamer. Contracts were let to the Canadian Ship Building Co., of Toronto, for a steamer 317 feet long, 36 feet beam, 4,300 horse-power to carry 2,500 passengers.
We were again faced with the necessity of a choice of a new name. Requests were made for suggestions, and "Book Tickets" offered as a prize to those who might send in the name which might be accepted. Two hundred and thirty-three names beginning with "C" and ending with "A" were contributed to us by letters and through the public press. Out of these names the nameCayugawas selected in recognition of the Indian tribes on the south shore of Lake Ontario, the district of the inner American lakes, in the State of New York, one of which bears the name of Lake Cayuga.
It is also the name of an old and flourishing town in Ontario, near the shores of Lake Erie, adjacent to the land reserved for the Mohawks under Brant, and still occupied by their descendants. A very interesting annal was at that time exhumed, being the record kept by the first Postmaster of this town ofCayuga, of the spellings of the name of his post office as actually written upon letters received there by him during a period of some twenty-five years. The list is curious. It seems strange that there could have been such diversity of spelling, but it is to be remembered that in the "thirties" there were not many schools, and by applying a phonetic pronunciation to the names in this list, and particularly by giving a K sound to the C and splitting the word into six syllables and pronouncing each by itself, some appreciation may be acquired of a similarity in sound, although the spelling is so exceedingly varied. The adherents of spelling reform will perhaps be heartened by the result of everyone spelling as they please.
List of Mr. Isaac Fry, the Postmaster at Cayuga, in the County of Haldimand, giving 112 ways of spelling Cayuga, "everyone of which" he wrote "have been received on letters at this office."CyucaCubaCayaguaCugaKaugugeCaygaKeugueCayegaEsqugaCayhugaCeaugyCiyugaCayagaCayuhogaCayuaCauagaGaugokeCiugaCajagaCaiugaCyegaKukeyCuygeyCaucyCuggaCaugyCayagoChaugyCaughCayugiaCaugheCauguayKiuckyCayohaCanugaKikuwaCayuagoCaugeyCauygaCayuegKajukeCajukaPayugaCaugiaCayuagCajaugaKajukaCaugugaKauckyCayagaCogugarCayuageCauguaCougaCuyahjaCahuciaCayugaKayugaKeyukaCayugeCyugaCayugCaogaCeuagaCanuguaCayguaCayaugaCuaguaCaougaGayugaCagugaKiugaCauggaKaygaCaiukaCayukaKugogueCycugaCayeugoCougaCaugayCayyugaCayugayKaugaCeugaCayougaCalugaCyugCayhaigueKeugeyKeugeagehCuyugaCyugiahKyugaCayuahCaugaCyugaChaqugaCayuguCaugyCayuguaCayegaCayugoCeaugaCayuggaCuyugoCayuigCahuga
List of Mr. Isaac Fry, the Postmaster at Cayuga, in the County of Haldimand, giving 112 ways of spelling Cayuga, "everyone of which" he wrote "have been received on letters at this office."
CyucaCubaCayaguaCugaKaugugeCaygaKeugueCayegaEsqugaCayhugaCeaugyCiyugaCayagaCayuhogaCayuaCauagaGaugokeCiugaCajagaCaiugaCyegaKukeyCuygeyCaucyCuggaCaugyCayagoChaugyCaughCayugiaCaugheCauguayKiuckyCayohaCanugaKikuwaCayuagoCaugeyCauygaCayuegKajukeCajukaPayugaCaugiaCayuagCajaugaKajukaCaugugaKauckyCayagaCogugarCayuageCauguaCougaCuyahjaCahuciaCayugaKayugaKeyukaCayugeCyugaCayugCaogaCeuagaCanuguaCayguaCayaugaCuaguaCaougaGayugaCagugaKiugaCauggaKaygaCaiukaCayukaKugogueCycugaCayeugoCougaCaugayCayyugaCayugayKaugaCeugaCayougaCalugaCyugCayhaigueKeugeyKeugeagehCuyugaCyugiahKyugaCayuahCaugaCyugaChaqugaCayuguCaugyCayuguaCayegaCayugoCeaugaCayuggaCuyugoCayuigCahuga
CyucaCubaCayaguaCugaKaugugeCaygaKeugueCayegaEsqugaCayhugaCeaugyCiyugaCayagaCayuhogaCayuaCauagaGaugokeCiugaCajagaCaiugaCyegaKukeyCuygeyCaucyCuggaCaugyCayagoChaugyCaughCayugiaCaugheCauguayKiuckyCayohaCanugaKikuwaCayuagoCaugeyCauygaCayuegKajukeCajukaPayugaCaugiaCayuagCajaugaKajukaCaugugaKauckyCayagaCogugarCayuageCauguaCougaCuyahjaCahuciaCayugaKayugaKeyukaCayugeCyugaCayugCaogaCeuagaCanuguaCayguaCayaugaCuaguaCaougaGayugaCagugaKiugaCauggaKaygaCaiukaCayukaKugogueCycugaCayeugoCougaCaugayCayyugaCayugayKaugaCeugaCayougaCalugaCyugCayhaigueKeugeyKeugeagehCuyugaCyugiahKyugaCayuahCaugaCyugaChaqugaCayuguCaugyCayuguaCayegaCayugoCeaugaCayuggaCuyugoCayuigCahuga
The steamer was successfully launched in the company's yards at the foot of Bathurst street, Toronto, on the 3rd of March, 1906. Miss Mary Osler, daughter of the President, conferring the name.
After the completion of the steamer, the speed trials which were of a most interesting and important character, were engaged in. The contract was that the steamer, under the usual conditions for regular service, should make the run between Toronto and Charlotte, and return, a distance of ninety-four miles each way, at an average speed of 21-1/2 miles per hour. A further condition was to make a thirty-mile run, being the distance between Toronto and Niagara, at a maintained speed of 22-1/2 miles per hour. Both conditions were exceeded, greatly to the credit of the designer and of the contractors.
When put upon the route in 1907, theCayugareceived the commendation of the travelling public, her weatherly capacity and speed enabling the leaving hour to be changed from 7 a.m. to 7.30.
A competition which had been anticipated now developed itself, and the fast and able steamerTurbiniawas in 1908 placed by her owners upon the Lewiston-Toronto route, making two trips per day. She put up a gallant fight, but, against a company making six sailings at each end of the route per day, there was no room left into which she could squeeze without finding a competitor alongside. It was found, too, that although her speed was greaterthan that of any of the other steamers on the lake, she was exceeded in speed by theCayuga. Her attack upon the route was met, as the Niagara Navigation Company intended it should be, by frequency of sailings and strict fulfillment of service, leaving no room for any competitor to find an opening, and by the high average speed maintained by all its steamers and particularly the new one. After keeping up a gallant struggle until the end of the mid-summer season, theTurbiniaretired to her previous route between Toronto and Hamilton.
Another addition to our dock properties was now effected. We had for many years been lessees of the dock at Lewiston, but now, in 1908, became its full owners by purchasing the whole frontage from Mr. Cornell, our lessor, with whom we had for so many years been in cordial working. The dock had fallen somewhat out of repair and very considerable improvements were requisite for the convenience of the increasing numbers of our passengers and for their comfort. Fortunately the larger part of these improvements were postponed to the next season, for during the winter 1908-09, which was exceptionally severe, an extraordinary freshet and piling up of ice on the river occurred.
The lower Niagara River rarely freezes over in all places, much running water being left in evidence and as a rule the ice which has anywhere been formed during the winter goes out into the lake in the spring without any trouble. There are records of two great "Ice Jams" which had happened during the previous history of the river. The earliest of these was in 1825. During this winter the steamerQueenstonwas under construction in the ravine on the Canadian side which opens up from the river just below the Queenston dock. In the spring the preparations were being made ready for the launching when an exceptional ice jam suddenly formed, causing the waters of the river to rise. The pressure of the floes which were now carried by the water up against the steamer became so great and dangerous that it was necessary to block her up and by extending the ways inland to move her further back into the gully, from here, after the waters had subsided, she was successfully launched.