CHAPTER III.Ecclesiastical.

Alderman Moore was the last mayor, under the old corporation, by the charter of which the chief magistrate was chosen out of the twenty-four aldermen, by the freemen, on the first of May; and sworn into office, on the Tuesday before the eve of New Midsummer-day.

There were two sheriffs, one chosen by the court of aldermen—the other by the freemen, on the last Tuesday in August, and both sworn into office on New Michaelmas-day.

Under the Municipal Corporation Reform Act, the mayor and sheriff are chosen by the sixteen aldermen and forty-eight councillors, the former from amongst themselves, on the ninth of November, and they enter upon their office on that day.

1836.

T. O. Springfield (Jan.)

Horatio Bolingbroke

1836.

Thos. Brightwell (Nov.)

John Bateman

1837.

Samuel Shalders Beare

John Francis

1838.

John Marshall

Henry Woodcock

1839.

Philip J. Money

John Barwell

1840.

Edward Willett

Richard Coaks

1841.

John Marshall

William Storey

1842.

Samuel Mitchell

William Freeman

1843.

William Freeman

George L. Coleman

1844.

Sir Wm. Foster, Bart.

John Betts

1845.

John Betts

Jeremiah Colman

1846.

Jeremiah Colman

Charles Winter

1847.

George L. Coleman

James Watson

1848.

Samuel Bignold

Robert Chamberlin

1849.

Henry Woodcock

James Colman

1850.

Henry Woodcock

Edward Blakely

1851.

Charles Winter

Robert Wiffen Blake

1852.

Richard Coaks

George Womack

1853.

Sir Samuel Bignold, Kt.

Henry Birkbeck

1854.

Robert Chamberlin

Robert John Harvey Harvey

1855.

John G. Johnson

Timothy Steward

1856.

Robert Chamberlin

Robert Seaman

1857.

Edward Field

Charles Crawshay

1858.

George Middleton

Henry Staniforth Patteson

1859.

Jacob Henry Tillett

J. Underwood

1860.

W. J. Utten Browne

Donald Dalrymple

1861.

John Oddin Taylor

Arthur J. Cresswell

1862.

Henry Stan. Patteson

Jeremiah James Colman

1863.

Osborn Springfield

Frederick Brown

1864.

Charles Edw. Tuck

Charles Jecks

1865.

Wm. Peter Nichols

William J. Cubitt

1866.

Frederick E. Watson

W. H. Clabburn

1867.

Jeremiah Jas. Colman

Robert Fitch

1868.

Edward K. Harvey

John Robison

Recorders of Norwich

1521.

William Elys

1522.

John Spelman

1563.

Thomas Gawdy, sen.

1576.

Francis Windham

1582.

Edward Coke

1595.

Robert Houghton

1603.

John Silver (Deputy)

1612.

Richard Gwynne

1648.

Samuel Smith

1649.

Erasmus Earl

1663.

Francis Cory

1677.

Francis Bacon

1680.

John Norris

1683.

William Earl of Yarmouth

1684.

John Warkehouse, (Deputy)

1688.

Robert Davy

1703.

Stephen Gardiner

1727.

Richard Berney

1737.

Robert Britiffe

1743.

William Brooke

1752.

Edward Bacon

1783.

John Chambers

1788.

Henry Partridge

1801.

Charles Harvey

1826.

Robert Alderson

1831.

Isaac Preston Jermy

1848.

Michael Prendergast

1859.

Peter F. O’Malley

The Recorder, whose office is held for life, must be a Barrister; he formerly assisted as Chief Judge in the Mayor’s Court, and was one of the council for the city.

By the Corporation Reform Act the Recorder is sole judge at the Quarter Sessions for the borough and city, and is no longer a member of the corporate body.

Stewards of Norwich.

1521.

Francis Moundford

1691.

Arthur Branthwayt

1536.

Edmund Grey

1703.

Richard Berney

1555.

Richard Catlyn

1727.

William Brooke

1563.

John Bleverhasset

1743.

Francis Larwood

1585.

Robert Houghton

1750.

Edward Bacon

1595.

Henry Hobart

1752.

Charles Buckle

1618.

William Denny

1781.

John Chambers

1648.

Erasmus Earl

1783.

Charles Harvey

1650.

Charles Geo. Cocke

1803.

William Firth

1663.

William Watts

1807.

Robert Alderson

1677.

John Norris

1826.

Isaac Preston

1680.

John Mingay

1831.

Fitzroy R. Kelly

1688.

Robert Ward

The Steward, who must have been a barrister, was appointed for life; he assisted as Chief Judge in the Sheriffs’ Court, and was one of the council for the city.  By the Corporation Reform Act the office of Steward was abolished in 1835.

Theorigin of the See of Norwich is attached to Sigebert, king of the East Angles, who, being in France about the year 630, brought over Felix, a priest of Burgundy, and constituted him bishop, fixing his seat at Dunwich, in Suffolk.  About forty years afterwards the diocese was divided, Dunwich and North Elmham having each a bishop, and this continued till the year 870, when the two sees were again united under Wybred at Elmham.  Owing to the devastations of the piratical Danes the see remained vacant nearly one hundred years, but was restored by Theodored, in 995 according to the common account; but there is evidence which tends to prove that he was bishop in 945, if not before.  During the reign of William I. the see was removed to Thetford, and in the year 1094 it was finally settled in Norwich.  This added greatly to the importance of the city, and made it the capital of East Anglia.

The diocese, as to its seat, has continued unchanged since 1094, and as to its extent and government has been but slightly modified.  The most prominentbishops have been Losinga, who established the see at Norwich and founded the cathedral, and John Grey or Gray, who governed Ireland, divided it into counties, placed it under English laws, fought in France, and captured fortresses there,—for bishops were fighting men in those days; Pandulph, who excommunicated King John Lackland; W. Middleton, who acted as Guardian of the Kingdom; John Salmon and William de Ermine, who were Lord Chancellors; and Bateman, who founded Trinity Hall, Cambridge.  Others less noted were Henry le Spencer, who fought as a soldier for the pope on shore, and as an English admiral at sea; Richard Courtenay, who died at the siege of Harfleur; John de Wakering, who was Lord Privy Seal; Nykke, known as the blind bishop, who conducted a traitorous correspondence with the pope; William Rugge, who deprived the see of its barony; Parkhurst, who was famous for entertaining Oxford scholars; Scambler, called “the scandalous;” John Jeggon, called “the wag;” Montague, called “the excellent;” Corbet, called the “merry wit;” Hall, “the saintly;” Overall and Sparrow, “the learned;” and Bathurst, “the good,” who pleaded for Catholic emancipation.  Three of the dignitaries, J. Harpsfield, H. Prideaux, and T. Sherlock, became cardinals; one, John, became archbishop of Smyrna; and one, Montgomery, became bishop of Meath.

The cathedral establishment includes the bishop, the dean, three archdeacons, four canons, twenty-four hon. canons, four minor canons, and a chancellor.  The income of the bishop is £4,500; that of each ofthe archdeacons is £200; and that of the other archdeacon is £184.  The diocese comprises all Norfolk except the parishes of Emneth and Brandon, and all Suffolk except the deaneries of Thedwaster and Thingoe, and parts of the deaneries of Clare, Fordham, and Sudbury; and it is divided into the archdeaconries of Norwich, Norfolk, and Suffolk.  Population, 743,000; acres, 1,994,535; deaneries, 41; benefices, 908; curates, 253; church sittings, 294,177.  A few more particulars may be stated respecting some of the earlier prelates.

Herbert de Losinga

A.D.1094.

Founder of the diocese and builder of the greater part of the Cathedral.

Eborard or Everard

A.D.1121.

Divided the archdeaconry of Suffolk into two, founded the hospital and church of St. Paul in Norwich.  He either resigned or was deposed.

William Turbus

A.D.1146.

A friend and advocate of Thomas à Becket, who induced him to excommunicate the Earl of Norfolk and some other nobles, for which he was forced to take sanctuary till he had appeased the wrath of the King, Henry II.

John of Oxford

A.D.1175.

Took part with Henry II. against Becket, and built the church of the Holy Trinity at Ipswich.

John de Grey

A.D.1200.

Built a palace at Gaywood, near Lynn, made that town a free borough, and lent large sums to King John, for which he received in pledge the royalregalia.  After him the see was vacant seven years.

Pandulphus

A.D.1222.

Obtained a grant of the whole of thefirst fruitsof the clergy in his diocese for himself and his successors, which was not revoked till the time of Henry VIII.

Thomas de Blandevill

A.D.1226.

Ralfo(died soon after)

1239.

William de Raleigh

1244.

Translated to Winchester.

Walter de Suthfield

1244.

Obtained for the bishopric a charter of free warren to himself and successors, erected and endowed the hospital of St. Giles, and made a valuation of all the ecclesiastical revenues for Pope Innocent.

Simon de Walton

A.D.1258.

Roger de Skernyng

1265.

William de Middleton

1278.

Ralph de Walpole

1288.

Translated to Ely.

John Salmon

1299.

Enlarged the Palace and founded the Charnel House School (now the Grammar House School).

Robert de Baldock

A.D.1325.

Resigned the same year.

William de Ayrminne

1325.

Enclosed and fortified the Cathedral and Palace with stone walls.

Thomas Hemenhale

A.D.1337.

Translated to Worcester same year.

Anthony de Beck

1337.

Being of a quarrelsome disposition, was poisoned either by the monks or his own servants.

William Bateman

A.D.1343.

Was a native of Norwich, and founded Trinity Hall, Cambridge.

Thomas Percy

A.D.1355.

Youngest brother of the Earl of Northumberland; was only twenty-two years of age when he obtained the prelacy.

Henry le Spencer

A.D.1370.

Was consecrated by the pope in person.  He took an active part in the warfare between the Urbanites and Clementines.  He was an enthusiastic zealot, and a fierce persecutor of the Lollards.

Alexander de Tottington

A.D.1407.

Richard de Courtenay,LL.D.

1413.

John Wareryng

1416.

William Alnwick,LL.D.

1426.

Translated to Lincoln.

Thomas Browne,LL.D.

1436.

Translated from Rochester; he left money to pay the city tax, and founded exhibitions at the Universities for poor scholars in the diocese.

John Stanbery,D.D.

A.D.1445.

Chosen but never consecrated.

Walter Lyhart

1446

He repaired the Cathedral, and made many ornamental additions to the edifice.

James Goldwell

A.D.1472.

Granted twelve years and forty days pardon to all who assisted him in beautifying the Cathedral.

Thomas Jan

A.D.1499.

Richard Nykke or Nix

1500.

Alienated the revenues of his diocese for the Abbacy of Holme, by agreement with Henry VIII., and was a cruel persecutor of the reformers, who, at this period, begun to be numerous.

William Rugg D.D.

A.D.1535.

Resigned the See for an annuity of £200 per annum.

Thomas Thirlby

A.D.1550.

Translated from Westminster, of which he was the first and last bishop; and afterwards removed to Ely.

John Hopton,D.D.

A.D.1554.

A sanguinary persecutor of the reformers, and is supposed to have died through fear of retaliating vengeance on the accession of Queen Elizabeth.  “Thus conscience cloth make cowards of us all.”

After the Reformation the following were the bishops of Norwich in the 16th century:—

Richard Cox

A.D.1558.

Translated to Ely.

John Parkhurst,D.D.

1560.

A friend of Oxford scholars.

Edmund Freke,D.D.

1575.

Translated from Rochester and afterwards removed to Worcester.

Edmund Scambler,D.D.

A.D.1584.

Translated from Peterborough.

William Redman,D.D.

1594.

The following were bishops of Norwich in the 17th century:—

John Jeggon,D.D.

A.D.1602.

In his time a fire broke out in the palace at Ludham and consumed the whole of the library, and many valuable documents respecting the diocese.

John Overall,D.D.

A.D.1618.

Translated from Lichfield and Coventry.

Samuel Harsnett,D.D.

1619.

Translated from Chichester, and afterwards became archbishop of York.

Francis White,D.D.

A.D.1628.

Translated from Carlisle, afterwards removed to Ely.

Richard Corbet,D.D.

A.D.1631.

Matthew Wren,D.D.

1635.

Translated from Hereford and afterwards removed to Ely.  He was father of the celebrated architect, Sir Christopher Wren.

Richard Montague,D.D.

A.D.1636.

A distinguished scholar, translated from Chichester.

Joseph Hall,D.D.

A.D.1641.

Translated from Exeter.  During the civil wars he was sent to the tower for asserting his right to vote in the house of peers; and parliament deprived him of his temporalities, and prohibited him from exercising any spiritual jurisdiction.  The See was vacant four years.

Edward Reynolds,D.D.

A.D.1660.

Was a liberal benefactor to the city of Norwich, and paid much attention to the comforts of the parochial clergy.

Anthony Sparrow,D.D.

A.D.1676.

Translated from Exeter.

William Lloyd,D.D.

1686.

Translated from Peterborough.  On the accession of William III., refusing to take the oath of abjuration against James II., he was deprived of his bishopric.

John Moore,D.D.

A.D.1691.

Translated to Ely.  He collected a large library of rare books, which, at his death, was purchased by George I. and presented to the University of Cambridge.

The following were the bishops of Norwich in the 18th century:—

Charles Trimnell,D.D.

A.D.1707.

Translated to Winchester.  He was a native of Norwich, and greatly assisted the Protestant emigrants who fled to his diocese from the Palatinate on the Rhine, through the irruptions and exactions of the French.  Many of these emigrants were artisans, and greatly increased the general welfare of the city and county.

Thomas Green,D.D.

A.D.1721.

Translated to Ely.

John Leng,D.D.

1723.

William Baker,D.D.

1727.

Translated from Bangor.

Robert Butts,D.D.

1732.

Translated to Ely.

Sir Thomas Gooch,Bart.,D.D.

1738.

Translated from Bristol and afterwards removed to Ely.

Samuel Lisle,D.D.

A.D.1748.

Translated from St. Asaph.

Thomas Hayter,D.D.

1749.

Translated to London.

Philip Yonge,D.D.

1761.

Lewis Bagot,LL.D.

1783.

Translated from Bristol and afterwards removed to St. Asaph.

George Horne,D.D.

A.D.1790.

Author of a “Commentary on the Psalms,” and other works of considerable merit, more especially an “Introduction to the Study of the Bible.”

During the present century the following eminent divines have been bishops of Norwich:—

Rt. Hon. C. M. Sutton,D.D.

A.D.1792.

Prelate of the Order of the Garter.  Translated to the archbishopric of Canterbury.

Henry Bathurst,LL.D.

A.D.1805.

He died in the 94th year of his age.

Edward Stanley,D.D.

1837.

We have already given a sketch of the life of this estimable bishop, and also of those of his immediate predecessor and successor, at pages 520 to 524, in our notices of the eminent citizens of the 19th century.

Samuel Hinds,D.D.

A.D.1850.

Resigned in 1857, and lives in retirement

Hon. John Thos. Pelham,D.D.

A.D.1857

The second son of the late earl of Chichester, and brother of the present earl; was born in 1811, andgraduated at Oxford.  In 1845, he married a daughter of Thomas William Tatten, Esq., and was appointed chaplain to the queen in 1847.  After this he was collated to the rectory of Bergh Apton, in Norfolk, by the earl of Abergavenny, which he held till 1852, when he was appointed to Christ Church, Hampstead, and in 1854 he was nominated by the crown to the rectory of St. Marylebone, Middlesex.  He fulfilled the arduous duties of minister of that populous parish for three years.  He was installed at the Cathedral church, Norwich, on June 26th, 1857, and since then he has ruled the diocese with satisfaction to the great body of the clergy.

A.D.

William Castleton, the last Prior, was made the first dean of the Cathedral

1538.

John Salisbury, suffragan bishop of Thetford, was made dean on the resignation of William Castleton, and deprived about 1553

1539.

John Christopherson; afterwards bishop of Chichester

1554.

John Boxall.  Resigned

1557.

John Harpsfield (Archdeacon of London.)  Deprived 1560

1558.

John Salisbury, restored.  Buried in the Cathedral

1560.

George Gardiner.  Buried in the Cathedral

1573.

Thomas Dove: afterwards bishop of Peterborough

1589.

John Jeggon: afterwards bishop

1601.

George Montgomery (bishop of Meath).  Resigned

1603.

Edmund Suckling.  Buried in the Cathedral

1614.

John Hassall.  Died 1654: buried at North Creake

1628.

Void till after the Restoration.

John Crofts.  Buried in the Cathedral

1660.

Herbert Astley.  Buried in the Cathedral

1670.

John Sharp.  Removed to Canterbury

1681.

Henry Fairfax.  Buried in the Cathedral

1689.

Humphrey Prideaux.  Author of a learned work entitled “Connection of the Old and New Testament.”  Buried in the Cathedral

1702.

Thomas Cole.  Buried in the chancel of East Raynham church

1724.

Robert Butts: afterwards bishop

1731.

John Baron (Archdeacon of Norfolk).  Buried at Saxlingham

1733.

Thomas Bullock.  Died May, 1760.  Buried in the Cathedral, at the extreme east end

1739.

Edward Townshend

1761.

Philip Lloyd.  Buried in the choir of the Cathedral

1765.

Joseph Turner.  Buried in the choir of the Cathedral

1790.

The Honourable George Pellew.  Buried at Great Chart

1828.

Edward Meyrick Goulburn, D.D., Chaplain in Ordinary to the Queen

1866.

Bishop.

The Hon. and Rt. Rev. JOHN THOMAS PELHAM, D.D.  1857.

Chancellor of the Diocese.

Worshipful E. Howes, Esq., M.A., M.P., 1868.

Archdeacons.

Norwich, Ven. A. M. Hopper, M.A.

1868

Norfolk, Ven. W. Arundell Bouverie, B.D.

1850

Suffolk, Right Rev. Bishop Ryan, D.D.

1868

Examining Chaplains.

Rev. J. J. S. Perowne, B.D., and Rev. T. T. Perowne, B.D.

Registrars: Rev. E. S. Bathurst and John Kitson, Esq.

Deputy Registrar: W. T. Bensly, Esq.

Secretaries to the Bishop.

J. Kitson, Esq.,Norwich; J. B. Lee, Esq.,Dean’s Yard,Westminster.

Assistant Secretary; W. T. Bensly, Esq.,Norwich.

Registrars of the Archdeaconries.

Norwich, Edward Steward, Esq.,Norwich.

Norfolk, Henry Hansell, Esq.,Norwich.

Suffolk, C. R Steward, Esq.,Ipswich.

Proctor for the Chapter, Rev. Canon Heaviside, M.A.

Proctor for the Archdeaconries of Norfolk & Norwich, Rev. H. Howell, M.A.

Proctor for the Archdeaconry of Suffolk, Rev. W. Potter, M.A.

The Dean and Chapter.

DEAN.

The Very Rev. EDWARD MEYRICK GOULBURN, D.D., 1866.

Canons.

A. Sedgwick, LL.D.

1834

C. K. Robinson, D.D.

1861

J. W. L. Heaviside, M.A.

1860

J. M. Nisbet, M.A.

1867

High Steward of the Cathedral.

The Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley 1866.

Honorary Canons.

Hon. E. S. Keppel, M.A.

1844

Hon. K. H. Digby, M.A.

1858

Archdn. Bouverie, B.D.

1847

R. H. Groome, M.A.

1858

Bishop of Columbia, D.D.

1850

Thomas Mills, M.A.

1859

Edw. J. Moor, B.A.

1850

W. F. Patteson, M.A.

1860

W. H. Parker, M.A.

1852

H. R. Nevill, M.A.

1861

Robert Eden, M.A.

1852

W. Howorth, M.A.

1863

Wm. Potter, M.A.

1853

S. Everard, M.A.

1863

Wm. Jackman, M.A.

1853

J. Lee-Warner, M.A.

1863

Archdn. Hopper, M.A.

1854

E. F. E. Hankinson, M.A.

1863

W. R. Colbeck, B.D.

1856

R. Blakelock, M.A.

1864

R. Collyer, M.A.

1856

W. Blyth, M.A.

1868

Hinds Howell, M.A.

1856

G. King, M.A.

1868

Minor Canons.

J. C. Matchett, M.A.,Sacrist

1824

E. Bulmer, M.A.

1865

H. Symonds, M.A.,Precentor

1844

J. S. Müller, M.A.

1865

Chapter Clerk, John Kitson, Esq.

Organist, Dr. Z. Buck.

The following is a list of the clergy of Norwich, revised to the time of our going to press.

Rural Dean—Rev.W. F.Patteson, Vicar of St. Helen.

Benefice.

Pop.

Incumbent.

Wh.  Inst.

Curate.

Ch. Acc.

All Saints St. Julian, R.

667

Kant W.

1868

150

St. Andrew, V.

978

Copeman A. C.

1857

700

St. Augustine, R.

1890

Rackham M. J.

1848

240

St. Benedict, V.

1381

Dombrain J.

1865

300

St. Clement, R.

3961

Rigg R.

1842

350

Christ Church, V.

Wade R.

1852

629

St. Edmund, R.

753

Taylor T.

1864

425

St. Etheldred, V.

614

Bishop W.

1865

100

St. George Colegate, V.

1607

Durdin A. W.

1852

380

St. George Tombland, V.

687

Trimmer K.

1842

400

St. Giles, V.

1586

Ripley W. N.

1859

Brownjohn J.

600

St. Gregory, V.

934

Wortley J.

1864

500

St. Helen, V.

507

Patteson W. F.

1824

289

St. James, V.  Pockthorpe and Barracks

3408

Pringle A. D.

1865

340

St. John Maddermkt, R.

537

Price G. F.

1863

461

St. John Sepulchre, V.

2219

Moore W. T.

1865

300

St. John Timberhill, V.

1302

Titlow S.

1831

400

St. Julian, R.

1361

See All Saints

150

St. Lawrence, R.

877

Hillyard E. A.

1861

600

St. Margaret, R.

664

Cobb J. W.

1848

500

St. Martin at Palace, V.

1085

Barker R. W.

1866

360

St. Martin at Oak, V.

2546

Caldwell C.

1858

300

St. Mary Coslany, V.

1498

Morse C.

1851

250

St. Mary in the Marsh, V. (Bishop’s Chapel)

451

Matchett J. C.

1824

120

St. Michael Coslany, R.

1365

Kidd R. H.

1867

600

St. Michael at Plea, R.

379

Morse C.

1839

200

St. Michael at Thorn.

2121

Davies A.

1865

379

St. Paul, R.

2907

1826

430

St. Peter Hungate, R.

399

Titlow S.

1839

200

St. Peter Mancroft, V.

2575

Turner C.

1848

Ram E.

1000

St. Peter per Mountergate, V.

2868

Durst J.

1862

Hull B.

400

St. Peter Southgate, R.

457

Bishop W.

1865

120

St. Saviour, V.

1532

Cooke W. H.

1856

400

St. Simon & St. Jude, R.

283

Osborne J. F.

450

St. Stephen, V.

4191

Baldwin C.

1863

700

St. Swithin, R.

699

Slipper W. A.

1865

350

The following are the clergy of the Hamlets not included in the Deanery of Norwich.

Benefice.

Pop.

Incumbent.

Wh. Inst.

Curate.

Ch. Acc.

Earlham, V. with Bowthorpe (no church)

195

Payne J. H.

1849

120

Eaton, V.

930

Weston F.

1865

200

Heigham, R.

13894

Dixon J. G.

1868

Rust J. C.

Sharley G.

250

,, Holy Trinity, R.

Rust C. T.

1865

1100

,, St. Philip, V.

Nash T. A.

1868

Hellesdon, R.

496

Howell H.

1855

Cornford J.

100

Lakenham St. Mark, V.

3808

Garry N. T.

1861

Morse A. S.

Leach J.

840

Thorpe St. Matthew, V.

2388

Owen J. S.

1869

518

Trowse, V.

1404

Pownall A.

1860

300

with Lakenham, V.

2079

200

Baptist.

Acc.

Rev. Geo. Gould

St. Mary’s Chapel

900

Rev. Thos. Foston

St. Clement’s Chapel

900

Rev. R. B. Clare

Priory Yard Chapel

400

Rev. C. H. Hosken

Gildencroft Chapel

500

Rev. W. Hawkins

Cherry Lane Chapel

250

Rev. J. Brunt

Orford Hill Chapel

500

Rev. R. Govett

Surrey Road Chapel

1100

Rev. H. Trevor

Pottergate Street Chapel

100

Independent.

Rev. J. Hallett

Old Meeting Chapel

700

Rev. Philip Colborne

Chapel in the Field

900

Rev. G. S. Barrett

Prince’s Street Chapel

1000

Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion.

Rev. Burford Hooke

The Tabernacle Chapel

1000

Rev. J. J. J. Kempster

Dereham Road Chapel

100

Wesleyan Methodist.

Rev. Hugh Jones

Rev. Wesley Butters

Rev. George Boggis

Lady’s Lane Chapel

1000

Methodist Free Church.

Rev. J. Schofield

Calvert Street and New City Chapel

1200

Rev. R. Abercrombie, M.A.

900

Primitive Methodist.

Rev. J. Scott

St. Catherine’s Plain Chapel

600

Rev. R. Betts

Cowgate Street Chapel

300

Rev. B. Bell

Dereham Road Chapel

700

Free Church.

Rev. J. Crompton

Dutch Church

600

Unitarian.

Rev. J. D. H. Smyth

Octagon Chapel

750

Presbyterian.

Rev. W. A. Mc Allan

St. Peter’s Hall

800

Catholic Apostolic Church.

Rev. A. Inglis, B.A.

Clement Court, Redwell Street

200

Roman Catholics.

Rev. P. Costello / Rev. R. Sumner

Willow Lane Chapel

400

Rev. Canon Dalton

St. John’s Chapel

600

Jews.

Rev. S. Caro

The Synagogue, St. Faith’s Lane

150

Nearlyall of the Religious Institutions in Norwich have arisen during the present century, and annual meetings are held on their behalf.  But the Bible Society, the most important of them all, has been supported by both Churchmen and Dissenters.  It was founded in 1811, since which year it has distributed 323,000 bibles in the city and county, and remitted to the Parent Society more than £120,000.  The late J. J. Gurney was an ardent supporter of this society, and delivered his last great speech on its behalf at an annual meeting in St. Andrew’s Hall.

Of the other societies the Church Missionary Society has taken the lead, and the Lord Bishop of the diocese has generally presided.  This society was instituted here in 1813, and it has raised more than £70,000.  The Rev. Edward Bickersteth, one of its founders and its first secretary, was partner with Thomas Bignold, Esq., solicitor of this city (brother to Sir Samuel Bignold), whose sister he married.  At the first meeting in St. Andrew’s Hall, upwards of £700 was collected.  Mr. Bickersteth was ordained in 1815 by Bishop Bathurst, and after visiting Africa onbehalf of the mission, became secretary of the Parent Society.

The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts is, however, the oldest missionary society of the Church of England, and annual meetings on its behalf have been held here all through the present century.  It has two objects in view—first, by carrying the gospel to our colonists to prevent christians from becoming heathens in faith and practice; second, to make heathens christians.  The work of the society has been chiefly in our colonies.  In following the direction of its original charter, the society has been vindicated by the practice of other more recent missionary societies of the Church of England.

The Church Pastoral Aid Society was instituted in the year 1835, for the purpose of supplying assistance to the incumbents of large and populous parishes, to enable them to obtain the help of additional curates and lay agents.  Aid is now afforded to 548 incumbents, and the grants of the society, when all occupied, are for 502 curates and 181 lay assistants.  Meetings are held here every year in support of the parent institution.  The total receipts for the year ending March 31st, 1868, were £57,019 16s. 7d., and the expenditure £64,065 16s. 3d.

The Norwich Diocesan Church Association was established in 1862.  Its object was to combine, as far as possible, Churchmen of every shade of political and religious opinion in the support of the established church, particularly as regards all questions affecting its welfare, likely to become the subject of legislation,and generally in the promotion of measures calculated to increase its stability and usefulness; but points of doctrine are never brought under discussion.  Annual meetings are held every year on the second Thursday after Easter, when reports are read, and the officers and committee elected.  This society comprises 800 members, one half of whom are laymen.

The Norwich Diocesan Church Building Association was established on October 20th, 1836.  It is in union with the Incorporated Society for promoting the enlargement, building, and repairing of churches and chapels in England and Wales.  The patron is the Earl of Leicester, and the president the Lord Bishop of the diocese.  Grants have been made to many parishes in this county.

The Norfolk Book Hawking Association was established in December, 1855, for the sale, throughout the county of Norfolk, by the agency of licensed hawkers, of bibles, prayer books, tracts, and prints of a religious and instructive character.  In the year ending August 31st, 1868, the number of bibles, testaments, prayer books, church services, tracts, and prints sold, amounted to 11,449, the receipts being £523 1s. 11½d.  The receipts for the year (including a balance of £56 2s. 5d.,) were £759 18s. 4d., and the expenditure amounted to £722 9s. 1½d., leaving a balance in hand of £37 9s. 2½d.  President, the Lord Bishop of the diocese.

The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge was founded in the year 1698.  The Norwich Auxiliary is of later date.  During the year 1868 the committeeforwarded to the Parent Society contributions amounting to £154, in addition to donations of £30 from the local fund; and the sale of books at the depository realised £350, viz., for bibles and testaments, 1,489; prayer books, 3,731; other books, 16,993; total, 22,213.  By the rules of this society all its members must be of the established church.  Its principal object is the distribution of the Holy Scriptures at home and abroad, and other religious books which are calculated to diffuse christian knowledge.

The Norwich Churchman’s Club was instituted in the early part of the year 1868, mainly through the exertions of the Rev. F. Meyrick, for the moral and mental improvement of young men in the city.  For these purposes a reading room has been established, supplied with books, periodicals, and newspapers.  Lectures are delivered and classes have been formed for secular and religious instruction.  About 100 honorary, and 200 reading-room members have been enrolled.

Annual meetings have also been held here on behalf of the London Missionary Society, which is chiefly supported by Independents; on behalf of the Baptist Missions, the Wesleyan Missions, and other missions to the heathen; the Society for Promoting Christianity amongst the Jews; and also on behalf of the Norwich City Mission, a society which has been of great benefit in improving the spiritual condition of the poor.  A full account of the operations of this mission would exhibit the social state of the city far better than any elaborate description.

Turning our attention now to the question of Education, it will not be too much to say that Norwich has always been the head quarters of education in the eastern counties, on account both of the number and the character of the schools, some of which have produced very eminent men.  The Grammar School is a far-famed ancient institution.  It was originally founded and endowed by the bishops of the See who collated the masters, and the archdeacon of Norwich inducted them.  The Singing and Grammar Schools belonging to the Convent were kept in the Almonry, the masters of which were frequently collated by the bishop on the Convent’s nomination, and as soon as inducted they generally published the bishop’s inhibition, prohibiting all other persons from teaching grammar or singing in the city.  At the Reformation they were dissolved; and the present Free Grammar School was appointed, and took the name of Edward VI.  It is divided into the upper and lower schools, has considerable endowments, and an interest in fifteen scholarships at Cambridge.  It has afforded instruction to many distinguished scholars, including Archbishop Parker, Bishops Cousin, T. Green, Maltby, and Monk, Dr. Caius, the founder of Caius College at Cambridge, Wild, the learned tailor, Admiral Lord Nelson, Coke, Rajah Brooke, and many others.  The Commercial School, in Bridge Street, shares the same endowments, and affords instruction to more than 200 boys.

The report of the Schools Inquiry Commission, which was issued in March, 1868, and is the most comprehensive on the subject of the education of theupper and middle classes that has yet appeared, is very favourable as regards the Norwich Grammar and Commercial Schools, but quite the reverse respecting the schools in the county.  Norwich Grammar School is stated to have been established in 1547.  The gross income of the charity is £1558.  The endowment of the school is £662.  The course of instruction is classical, under a head master and competent teachers.  This is no doubt the best school for the classics, but the Commercial School is the most useful to the citizens.

Mr. Hammond, the assistant commissioner, in the report upon endowed schools says, that no education, preparatory to the University, is supplied in Norfolk, except at the Grammar Schools of Norwich, Holt, and King’s Lynn, in none of which does it, except in Norwich, “engross very much of the teacher’s time and attention, nor is it anywhere carried out to the same perfection as at such schools as Marlborough College and the City of London School.  In Norfolk, Latin, so far as it went, was in the endowed schools generally satisfactory.  But hardly any boy could have been set to write five consecutive lines of Latin, not taken from the exercise book.  It is fair to add that Norwich sacrifices nothing to it.  In mathematics, modern languages, and general literature, the school has few equals; and certainly none superior in the county.  French is in Norfolk a recognised study in classical schools, as well as in most of the semi-classical schools; is very good, and in all but one satisfactory.  In the non-classical schools, French,when attempted, is worthless.  Arithmetic is in the great majority of Norfolk schools practically, and perhaps educationally, the most important subject taught, and a large portion of time and attention is assigned to it.”

Only at a few schools is any useful knowledge of Algebra given, and only at Norwich Grammar School does it extend beyond the solution of quadratic equations.  Euclid is not learnt in a very satisfactory manner; it is taught too exclusively by papers in Norfolk.  Of natural science no real or substantial knowledge is imparted.  Of English subjects, history is the least taught and the worst learnt.  English literature is hardly taught at all, yet it is the noblest literature in the world.

Mr. Hammond says that in Norfolk it is simply impossible to establish a classical day school without boarders.  At Norwich, Yarmouth, and possibly Kings Lynn, semi-classical day schools might, under very favourable circumstances, remunerate an able certificated teacher, but no private day school in these towns is any better than a national school;a fortiori, this is true of smaller towns and villages.

The Boys’ and Girls’ Hospital Schools were founded, in 1618, by Thomas Anguish; admit on the foundation sixty-nine boys and fifty girls; allow to each boy £10 yearly for board with parents or friends; the girls are boarded and lodged at the new School Rooms in Lakenham.  The schools have an endowed income of £2,097 in the boys’ department, and £1,012 in the girls’ department.  Baron’s School has an endowed incomeof £536.  Scott’s School has £137; Balderstone’s School has also £137; Norman’s School has £650, and maintains thirty boys; and several other schools have endowments.  The Lancasterian School, in College Court, has room for 300 children, and is supported by Nonconformists.  The School for the Blind, in Magdalen Street, was founded in 1805 at a cost of £1,000, and has an income of £1,300 yearly, and is open to the blind from every part of the kingdom.

The Norwich Diocesan National School Society, established in 1812, has contributed £250 per annum towards the support of schools in the city and county, and has supported an institution for training mistresses for the charge of schools.  These trained teachers have been in great demand all over the diocese.  The Norwich charity schools are church schools, nine in number, and they have afforded instruction to a large number of boys and girls.  But the education of the poor in this city has not been left entirely to the church, as there are many British schools supported by all classes of Nonconformists.

In early times the monks or the clergy were the schoolmasters.  Their schools, when not carried on within the walls of a monastery, were, and have been called, Grammar Schools, up to the present time.  Other similar schools have also been established from time to time in various parts of the district, some for educating the sons of the poor, and others for the middle classes.  The population of the country, however, increased so rapidly, and the people were soignorant, that no comparison can be made with the present state of society.  Dr. Bell introduced the monitorial system, in 1796, and warmly advocated its adoption as the most effectual means of rapidly extending popular instruction.  It was as warmly received, and he was chiefly instrumental in establishing the National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the principles of the Established Church.  This society was started in 1811, and has been very successful.  The British and Foreign Society was established shortly before upon the principles advocated by Lancaster, of allowing the bible to be read in the schools without note or comment.

A great change has taken place as regards the intelligence and morals of the people, and this may be attributed to the vast increase in the number of day and Sunday schools.  Popular education is almost the creation of the present century, although the day-school epoch may be dated from the year 1796, when the youthful quaker, Joseph Lancaster, began to teach children in his father’s house at Southwark.  Lancaster was an enthusiast in his calling, and acted as much in the character of a guardian to his scholars as a master, and whilst often charging nothing for his instruction, he fed his pupils as well.  No wonder that he had at one time 1000 scholars.

According to the census of 1851, the city contained then 45 public day schools, with 5,207 scholars; 10 private day schools, with 2,553 scholars; and 55 Sunday schools, with 6,859 scholars, which numberhas since been very greatly increased.  About twenty-nine of the Sunday schools, with 2,650 scholars, belonged to the Church of England; and twenty-six Sunday schools with more scholars belonged to the Dissenters.  Five schools with 534 scholars were endowed schools; thirteen with 1,915 scholars were church schools; ten with 712 scholars were national schools; five with 546 scholars were dissenting British schools.  All the rest belonged to the Non-conformists.

According to the census of 1861, the Norwich Parochial Charity Schools afforded instruction, on the national system, to more than 700 boys and 400 girls.  The Model School for boys numbered 400, and that for girls 300 scholars.  New schoolrooms had been built in Heigham, Lakenham, Thorpe, and various parts of the city; and the bishops, the clergy, and ministers of all denominations zealously promoted the educational movement.  A great change has, as might consequently have been expected, taken place for the better as regards the morals and intelligence of the mass of the citizens, and this may be attributed in a great measure to the number of day and Sunday schools.  Crimes are not now of so frequent occurrence as formerly.  The magistrates and police have less to do; and churches and chapels are more numerous, and better filled and supported.

While the population has been increasing and schools becoming more numerous in this city, some means of continuing the education of young men seemed to be required, and this want has been in a measuresupplied by the establishment of popular literary institutions.  Of these there have been several at various periods, including the Mechanics’ Institution, the Athenæum, the People’s College, and the Young Men’s Institute, all of which are now defunct, and in their places we have a Young Men’s Christian Association, and a Church of England Young Men’s Association; the former having about 400 and the latter 200 members.  Of both of these the object is to promote the religious, moral, social, and intellectual well-being of young men, and we are happy to be able to say that their work is most energetically and efficiently accomplished.  There are also a School of Art and a Free Library, both of which we have already noticed at pages 431 and 432.

As might also be expected, the growth of education and the spread of religion have led to that which always, sooner or later, comes out of the improved intellectual and moral condition of society—the establishment of a large number of benevolent institutions with various noble purposes.  Perhaps it would be quite within the bounds of the strictest truth to say that there is hardly a city or town in the kingdom, of the same population and extent as Norwich, in which a greater amount of genuine charity exists, and where institutions for the relief and comfort of the sick and the poor are more abundant.  In fact these are so numerous in Norwich that we cannot even mention them.  We may say, however, that amongst them are the Norwich District Visiting Society for relieving the sick poor at their own houses, established at apublic meeting held on January 16th, 1815; the Norwich Public Dispensary, instituted in the year 1804, for the purpose of giving advice, medicine, and attendance free of expense to indigent persons unable to pay for the same; the Jenny Lind Infirmary for sick children, established on May 30th, 1853, by the proceeds of a concert, when the Swedish Nightingale was the principal vocalist; the Benevolent Association for the relief of decayed tradesmen, their widows and orphans, established here on November 16th, 1790; the Norwich Magdalen or Female Home, established in 1826, for the reclamation of females who have deviated from the paths of virtue; the Orphans’ Home, established in 1849, for training orphan girls for domestic service; the Soup Charity, established in 1840, for supplying the poor with a nutritious soup at a low price in winter; the Bethel Hospital, erected in 1713, for the support and treatment of poor lunatics at a very moderate charge; the Blind Hospital, founded in 1805 by Thomas Tawell, a blind gentleman, for teaching the blind to read and work; the Old Man’s or St. Giles’ Hospital in Bishopgate Street, founded by Edward VI. as an almshouse; Doughty’s Hospital in Calvert Street, founded by William Doughty, gentleman, in 1687, for twenty-four poor men and eight poor women; and, most valuable of all, the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for the relief of sick and lame poor.  This last, in fact, is an institution of such importance, and is accomplishing so important a use, that we deem it deserving of a more extended notice.  This noble institution is an extensive brickbuilding situated on St. Stephens Road.  It was erected in 1771 at a cost of more than £21,000, including about £8,000 expended on subsequent additions and improvements.  It has been considerably enlarged at different times, and it is fitted up with all the latest improvements.  It was commenced by the voluntary contributions of the benevolent, and has received many donations and legacies.  It has been well supported by a long list of annual subscribers.  In 1867 the annual subscriptions amounted to £2038 14s. 0d.; benefactions, £422 3s. 4d.; collections, £313 1s. 7d.; legacies, £124 4s. 10d.; dividends and interest, £745 15s. 1d.; sundries, £62 0s. 4d.; total, £3785 19s. 2d.  The expenditure in that year amounted to £4935 9s. 3d.  The stock purchased since 1770 amounts to £23,976 12s. 7d.  The stock sold since 1770, £4890 4s. 4d.  Present stock, £22,091 9s. 5d.—3 per cents.  Bank stock, £166 13s. 4d.  From 1824 to 1864 the institution received £6018 1s. 9d. from the profits of the Triennial Festivals in St. Andrew’s Hall.  From the opening of the hospital in 1772 to January 1st, 1868, in-door patients 56,828, out-door 52,387.  Daily average number of in-patients, 133; average number of days of each, 43.  The physicians and surgeons attend in turn to take in-patients every Saturday at 11 a.m., and every Wednesday at the same hour to prescribe for the out-patients, gratuitously.

The affairs of the institution are superintended by a board of management, selected annually from the governors, who consist of persons who have contributed thirty guineas or upwards at one time; and that theinstitution is managed well is sufficiently attested by the vast amount of good which, through a long series of years, it has successfully effected, and the cordial support which it has uniformly received from the nobility, gentry, and trading community of both city and county.  Doubtless it is a noble exemplification of true Christian Charity, and it is earnestly to be hoped that as years pass on its means of usefulness will be more and more extended by the increasing sympathy and support of an appreciative public.


Back to IndexNext