In January, 1798, the sword of the Spanish Admiral Don Francisco Winthuysen, presented by Admiral Nelson to the corporation of Norwich, was placed in the Council Chamber of the Guildhall, with an appropriate device and inscription.
On February 28th, at a general meeting of the inhabitants of this city, more than £2,200 were immediately subscribed as voluntary contributions towards the defence of the kingdom. In a few weeks afterwards, the whole subscription amounted to more than £8000, a proof of the loyalty as well as liberality of the well-to-do citizens. In May, the following Loyal Volunteer Corps were formed for the purposeof preserving internal tranquillity, and supporting the police of this city, viz., the Mancroft Volunteers, Capt. John Browne; St. Stephen’s Volunteers, Capt. Hardy; St. Peter per Mountergate, &c., Capt. Herring; St. Saviour’s and St. Clement’s, Capt. Fiske; St. Andrew’s, Capt. T. A. Murray.
On June 19th, the Norwich Light Horse Volunteers and Loyal Military Association attended J. Browne, Esq., to the cathedral, previous to his being sworn into the office of mayor; afterwards the Association fired afeu de joiein the Market Place.
On October 11th, at a meeting of the wealthy inhabitants of the city, a subscription was entered into for the relief of the orphans of those brave seamen who fell on August 1st in the ever memorable battle of the Nile; and on the 24th of the same month, at a special assembly of the corporation, an address of congratulation was adopted to his Majesty on the late victory; and it was agreed that a request should be made to Lord Nelson to sit for his portrait, to be placed in St. Andrew’s Hall. His Lordship assented and the portrait was painted by Beechey and placed in the hall, where it may still be seen.
November 29th was appointed as a day of a public thanksgiving for the late naval victories, and was celebrated as such in Norwich with the greatest festivity. In the morning the mayor and corporation, accompanied by the Light Horse Volunteers and the Parochial Associations, attended divine service at the cathedral, where an excellent sermon was preached by the Rev. T. F. Middleton, afterwards Bishop ofCalcutta. The sword, taken by Lord Nelson was borne in the procession. On their return to the Market Place there was a feast, and in the evening an illumination.
In 1799, October 28th, the Guards and several other regiments, to the number of 25,000 cavalry and infantry, landed at Yarmouth from Holland. Next night the Grenadier Brigade of Guards, commanded by Col. Wynward, marched into Norwich by torchlight, and were soon afterwards followed by upwards of 20,000 more troops. Through the exertions of John Herring, Esq., mayor, and the attention of the citizens in general, these brave men received every accommodation that their situation demanded. The mayor soon afterwards received a letter from the Duke of Portland expressive of the high appreciation by the government of the mayor’s loyalty and activity on this occasion, and of the humanity of the citizens who supplied the wants of the soldiers. The mayor was afterwards presented to his Majesty at St. James’, and offered the honour of knighthood, which he declined. The Duke of York, Prince William of Gloucester, and several other officers employed in this unsuccessful expedition, also passed through the city on their way to London. The sum of £18,000 was raised this year for the maintenance of the poor of the city.
On January 23rd, 1800, John Herring, Esq., then mayor, summoned a general meeting of the inhabitants at the Guildhall, to consider the propriety of applying to parliament for an act for the better paving, lighting, and watching of the city, for removing and preventingannoyances and obstructions, and for regulating hackney coaches. At this meeting a committee was appointed to consider the plan proposed, and to report to a future general meeting. This committee held several meetings, and at length made a report, which was laid before a general meeting of the citizens on March 3rd. The estimated cost of lighting, watching, paving, &c., was only £2770. The produce of the tolls was estimated at £1715, and of a rate of 6d. in the pound at £3000; making the total receipts £4715, and leaving a balance of £1945 for the commencement of the work, which sum would have been increased by some annual payments. The general meeting adopted the report, and a petition was signed by most of the inhabitants of the city in favour of a bill to carry out the improvements. Unfortunately, however, the petition could not, from some unforeseen circumstances, be presented that session. The project was, for a time, postponed; but an act was obtained in 1806 to carry out the object, and commissioners were appointed for the purpose. This body consisted of the dean and prebend, the recorder, 28 members of the corporation, and 24 parochial commissioners, annually elected, in all 136. This heterogeneous body continued for about forty years, and after spending over £300,000, left Norwich the worst paved town in England, and also left a debt of £17,000, which still remains as a legacy to the city!
Before the end of the 18th century, various improvements were made, among which may be mentioned, the demolition of the old gates, the widening and opening of several streets, and the erection of a new flour mill, worked by steam power, near Black Friars Bridge, for better supplying the people with flour. Still, large numbers of the poor appear to have been for a long time in a very destitute condition. Famines were of frequent occurrence, and riots often took place on account of the high prices of every kind of food. In 1720, on September 20th, a dangerous riot broke out, and rose to such a height, as to oblige the sheriffs to call in the aid of the Artillery Company, at whose approach the rioters instantly dispersed. Again, in 1740, riots occurred in several parts of the country, and in most of the towns in Norfolk. The magistrates of this city called the military to their aid, and six or seven lives were lost before the rioters could be quelled. Again, in 1766, in consequence of the great scarcity and advanced price of provisions of every sort, some dangerous riots broke out in several places. In this city the poor people collected on September 27th, about noon, and in the course of that day and the next, committed many outrages by attacking the houses of bakers, pulling down part of the New Mills, destroying large quantities of flour, and burning to the ground a large malthouse outside of Conisford gate. Every lenientmeasure was tried by the city magistrates to pacify the poor starving people, but to no effect. The magistrates therefore were compelled to repel force by force. On Sunday afternoon they, with the principal inhabitants, attacked the rioters with such vigour, while they were demolishing a house on Tombland, that they were dispersed. About thirty of the ringleaders were taken and tried, and eight of them were sentenced to death, but only two were executed. They suffered the extreme penalty on January 10th, 1767.
Strange as it may seem, Norwich was, at this time, in a more flourishing state as regards trade than it has ever since been known. Wages were not high, but employment was universal. On April 25th, 1796, fine flour having risen to 70s. a sack, a mob attacked several bakers’ shops in the city. The magistrates and inhabitants assembled and proceeded to the places against which the attacks of the populace were directed, but the mob did not disperse till after the riot act had been read and three persons apprehended. On May 17th, a dreadful affray took place near Bishop Bridge, between the soldiers of the Northumberland and Warwickshire regiments of Militia. Several were terribly bruised and others wounded with bayonets before their officers could part them. Education was, at this time, at a very low ebb, and the clergy neglected the poor. Few schools were yet opened for their children, who grew up in ignorance and vice. Working-men spent their hard-earned money in drunkenness, or indulged in the most brutalsports, such as prize-fighting or cock-fighting. They were also demoralised by bribery and treating at contested elections. In fact, ward elections were so frequent that the city was kept in a perpetual state of agitation and turmoil. We can now form no notion of the misery, poverty, and vice, which these local elections inflicted on the city. It was often said that a single ward election did more harm than all the sermons in all the churches and chapels did good. These local contests at length prevented capital being employed in manufacturers, and made politics the first object of all the influential citizens, who, if they were not, strove to become, members of the old corporation, not from any consideration of public duty, not to promote the welfare of the citizens, but to serve their own political or personal interests. There is abundant evidence that the prosperity of the city, and private friendships, were alike poisoned by the party spirit, engendered by frequent ward elections; at the same time the moral character of the whole working population was greatly deteriorated, and the working classes themselves greatly depraved.
During this 18th century the Nonconformists became very numerous and powerful in the city and county. Methodism imparted a healthful stimulus to the revival of religion. It aroused the church and all denominations. Besides the very flourishing bodies of Wesleyans and Baptists, the Independents madegreat progress. Within two centuries, in place of one, several chapels arose; and throughout all England, few towns exhibited a greater increase of Nonconformists than Norwich. We have already given an account of their rise and progress in the 17th century, but we have not yet noticed the Unitarians. A history of the Octagon chapel in Norwich, by Mr. John Taylor, formerly of this city, and continued by his son, Mr. Edward Taylor, contains a full account of the rise and progress of the Unitarians here. They were at first called Presbyterians, but that name was inappropriate, as they never had the Presbyterian polity nor doctrine. Mr. John Taylor says, the first Presbyterian chapel was built in 1687, on a piece of ground, formerly part of the great garden or orchard, “sometime belonging to the prior and convent of the late friars’ preachers,” of whose deserted walls the Dissenters took possession. The building was so constructed that it might be converted into dwelling houses in case their preachers were compelled to abandon it.
Blomefield, in his History of the City, says:—
“In 1687, the Presbyterians built a meeting house from the ground, over against the Black Boys; and at the same time the Independents repaired a house in St. Edmund’s formerly a brew house.”
“In 1687, the Presbyterians built a meeting house from the ground, over against the Black Boys; and at the same time the Independents repaired a house in St. Edmund’s formerly a brew house.”
After the passing of the Toleration Act, in 1689, this meeting house, which, had not been long finished, was duly licensed. Dr. Collinges, a learned Presbyterian minister, was the first pastor appointed to preachby the congregation. He had a considerable hand in the “Annotations to the Bible,” which were begun and carried on by Mr. Matthew Poole, and which go under his name.
Dr. Collinges died in January, 1690, and was probably succeeded soon after by Mr. Josiah Chorley, who was not a native of Norwich, but came from Lancashire. He officiated about thirty years, and was succeeded by the Rev. Peter Finch, a highly esteemed preacher for many years. After he died his funeral sermon was preached by Mr. Taylor, who said:—
“Surely the character of Mr. Finch, drawn out so even and clear without any remarkable spot or flaw, through the long course of sixty-three years in this city, must be deserving of remembrance and imitation, since it must be the result of a steady integrity and solid wisdom.”
“Surely the character of Mr. Finch, drawn out so even and clear without any remarkable spot or flaw, through the long course of sixty-three years in this city, must be deserving of remembrance and imitation, since it must be the result of a steady integrity and solid wisdom.”
The Rev. Mr. Finch was one of the first pupils who entered into the first dissenting academy, erected after the Reformation, by the Rev. Mr. Frankland; and he survived almost all the 300 gentlemen who, in the space of thirty years, were educated in that academy. He died October 6th, 1754, on his 93rd birthday, and was buried in St. Peter’s Church, in this city. His descendents were residents here till 1847. His son was many years clerk of the peace for the county of Norfolk.
Mr. John Brooke was invited to take his place towards the end of the year 1718. This minister was born in or near Yarmouth, where some of his descendants have generally resided. He resigned in1733, and removed to York, where he died. Dr. John Taylor was elected to the vacant office in 1733, and continued till 1757, when he resigned. He was the author of many works of a religious character. In 1753 the old chapel was pulled down, and a subscription was raised of nearly £4000 for a new one. The first stone of the new building was laid on February 25th, 1754, by Dr. Taylor; and within three years the present elegant chapel was completed at a cost of £5174.
Mr. Samuel Bourn, son of Mr. Bourn of Birmingham, was ordained co-pastor with Dr. John Taylor, and he published volumes of sermons which established his reputation in that kind of composition. He resigned in 1775, and retired to a village near Norwich. Several gentlemen, who afterwards attained considerable eminence in science, were brought up under Mr. Bourn’s ministry, viz., Sir James Edward Smith, so long president of the Linnean Society; Mr. Robert Woodhouse, the eminent mathematician and professor of astronomy at Cambridge; and Dr. Edward Maltby, afterwards bishop of Durham. Mr. Bourn removed to Norwich not many months before his death, and died in the 83rd year of his age; he was interred in the burying ground of the Octagon Chapel. Mr. Bourn was succeeded by the Rev. John Hoyle, who was minister for seventeen years. He died in the 51st year of his age, on November 29th, 1775, and was interred in the Octagon burying ground.
On December 15th, 1776, Mr. Alderson was chosen minister, and soon afterwards Mr. George CadoganMorgan became co-pastor. He had been educated under the inspection of his uncle, the celebrated Dr. Richard Price, so that great expectations were formed of his abilities, and the congregation were not disappointed. He soon, however, resigned and went to Yarmouth; and in 1755, Dr. William Enfield was invited to become co-pastor with Mr. Alderson, and he accepted the office. In 1786, Mr. Alderson resigned; and in 1787 was succeeded by Mr. P. Houghton.
In 1784, Mr. P. M. Martineau projected the establishment of the Public Library at Norwich, in which he was cordially seconded by Dr. Enfield, who was one of the earliest presidents of an institution, which for the extent and variety of its catalogue surpasses most provincial libraries. In the early periods of the first French Revolution, a periodical work was established by the liberal party in Norwich, entitled “The Cabinet;” to which the principal contributors were Mr. John Pitchford, Mr. Wm. Youngman, Mr. Norgate, Mr. C. Marsh (afterwards M.P. for Retford), Mrs. Opie (then Miss Alderson), Mr. John Taylor, and Dr. Enfield. After publishing many learned works, Dr. Enfield died in the 57th year of his age, on November 3rd, 1797. After his death, three volumes of his sermons were published by subscription; and among the subscribers were persons of almost every sect in Norwich, from the cathedral prebendary to the independent minister. More than twenty beneficed clergymen’s names appear in the list, and it is very well known that Dr. Enfield’s sermons have been heard from many pulpits of the established church. Professor Taylor, late of Gresham college, thus wrote in a supplementary memoir:—
“With his dissenting brethren Dr. Enfield was always on the best terms, especially with Mr. Newton and Mr. Kinghorn, the ministers of the Independent and Baptist congregations. The Presbyterian congregation, comprising many individuals of station and influence in the city, took the lead in every movement of the dissenting body, who never appeared in a more united and honourable position than when Dr. Enfield was their acknowledged head. The state of society during his residence in Norwich, was eminently suited to his habits and tastes. Parr, Peel, Walker, Howes, and Smyth were his contemporaries. Parr was the head master of the grammar school, Potter was a prebendary of the Cathedral, and Porson was occasional resident at the house of his brother-in-law, Mr. Hawes of Coltishall, a village a few miles from Norwich. Dr. Enfield was a welcome visitor at the bishop’s palace; for though Dr. Bagot had no political or religious sympathy with the minister of the Presbyterian congregation, he knew how to estimate his talents, his manners, and his admirable conversational powers. Among the residents in Norwich at this time, with whom Dr. Enfield associated, were Dr. Sayers, Mr. William Taylor, Mr. Hudson Gurney (afterwards M.P. for Newport and a vice-president of the Society of Antiquaries), Dr. Rigby, Dr. Lubbock, Sir James Edward Smith, the Rev. John Walker (an accomplished scholar and one of the minor canons of the Cathedral), Mrs. Opie (then Miss Alderson), Mr. Bruckner, the minister of the Dutch and French protestant congregations at Norwich, and others, who though unknown to the world as authors, were yet worthy associates in such a society.”
“With his dissenting brethren Dr. Enfield was always on the best terms, especially with Mr. Newton and Mr. Kinghorn, the ministers of the Independent and Baptist congregations. The Presbyterian congregation, comprising many individuals of station and influence in the city, took the lead in every movement of the dissenting body, who never appeared in a more united and honourable position than when Dr. Enfield was their acknowledged head. The state of society during his residence in Norwich, was eminently suited to his habits and tastes. Parr, Peel, Walker, Howes, and Smyth were his contemporaries. Parr was the head master of the grammar school, Potter was a prebendary of the Cathedral, and Porson was occasional resident at the house of his brother-in-law, Mr. Hawes of Coltishall, a village a few miles from Norwich. Dr. Enfield was a welcome visitor at the bishop’s palace; for though Dr. Bagot had no political or religious sympathy with the minister of the Presbyterian congregation, he knew how to estimate his talents, his manners, and his admirable conversational powers. Among the residents in Norwich at this time, with whom Dr. Enfield associated, were Dr. Sayers, Mr. William Taylor, Mr. Hudson Gurney (afterwards M.P. for Newport and a vice-president of the Society of Antiquaries), Dr. Rigby, Dr. Lubbock, Sir James Edward Smith, the Rev. John Walker (an accomplished scholar and one of the minor canons of the Cathedral), Mrs. Opie (then Miss Alderson), Mr. Bruckner, the minister of the Dutch and French protestant congregations at Norwich, and others, who though unknown to the world as authors, were yet worthy associates in such a society.”
Dr. Enfield’s estimate of the character of society at Norwich, is thus expressed in a letter from Liverpool to Professor Taylor’s father:—
“You will easily imagine the pleasure I feel in enjoying the society of my old friends here, especially that of Mr. Roscoe and Dr. Currie; but with these and a few other exceptions, I find more congenial associates at Norwich. For a man of literary tastes and pursuits, I can truly say that I know of no town which offers so eligible a residence.”
“You will easily imagine the pleasure I feel in enjoying the society of my old friends here, especially that of Mr. Roscoe and Dr. Currie; but with these and a few other exceptions, I find more congenial associates at Norwich. For a man of literary tastes and pursuits, I can truly say that I know of no town which offers so eligible a residence.”
Mr. Roscoe and Dr. Currie, referred to above, were then in high reputation in Liverpool.
The altered state of society in Norwich, about the end of the 18th century is thus depicted in a paper in the Monthly Magazine for March, 1808, under the title of “Fanaticism—a Vision,” which was generally attributed to the pen of Sir James Edward Smith:—
“You know the flourishing and happy state of this ancient city in the early part of your life, and particularly how peaceably and even harmoniously its inhabitants lived together on the score of religion. Christians of various denominations had each their churches, their chapels, or their meeting houses, and in the common intercourse of life all conducted themselves as brethren. The interests of humanity would even frequently bring them together on particular occasions to pay their devotions in the same temple. The bishop (Bathurst) treated as his children all who, though they disowned his spiritual authority, obeyed his Divine Master; while the Presbyterian, the Independent, the Catholic, and the Quaker, partook of his hospitality and repaid his benevolence with gratitude and respect. This state of society, worthy of real Christians, was broken up by those who wore that character only as a mask. A set of men, interested in promoting dissensions, by which villany and rapacity might profit, and in decrying those genuinefruits of religion, that salutary faith and pure morals, which by comparison shamed their own characters, after long in vain attempting to exalt blind belief in general, and their particular dogmas, in preference to a useful and virtuous life, but too successfully obtained their end. On all the great truths of revealed religion, honest men could never be long at variance. On disputable points they had learned a salutary forbearance, which enabled them, while they thought for themselves, to let others do the same. The only resources of those who wish to stir up religious animosity, is to bring forward something that no one can determine. The less mankind understand a subject, the more warmly do they debate and strive to enforce the belief of it.”
“You know the flourishing and happy state of this ancient city in the early part of your life, and particularly how peaceably and even harmoniously its inhabitants lived together on the score of religion. Christians of various denominations had each their churches, their chapels, or their meeting houses, and in the common intercourse of life all conducted themselves as brethren. The interests of humanity would even frequently bring them together on particular occasions to pay their devotions in the same temple. The bishop (Bathurst) treated as his children all who, though they disowned his spiritual authority, obeyed his Divine Master; while the Presbyterian, the Independent, the Catholic, and the Quaker, partook of his hospitality and repaid his benevolence with gratitude and respect. This state of society, worthy of real Christians, was broken up by those who wore that character only as a mask. A set of men, interested in promoting dissensions, by which villany and rapacity might profit, and in decrying those genuinefruits of religion, that salutary faith and pure morals, which by comparison shamed their own characters, after long in vain attempting to exalt blind belief in general, and their particular dogmas, in preference to a useful and virtuous life, but too successfully obtained their end. On all the great truths of revealed religion, honest men could never be long at variance. On disputable points they had learned a salutary forbearance, which enabled them, while they thought for themselves, to let others do the same. The only resources of those who wish to stir up religious animosity, is to bring forward something that no one can determine. The less mankind understand a subject, the more warmly do they debate and strive to enforce the belief of it.”
Among the eminent citizens of this century may be first mentioned the chief merchants and manufacturers, who were very intelligent, wealthy, and enterprising. They were also benevolent, and the founders of various charitable institutions. Many of them were Nonconformists, and active supporters of their chapels, while they carried on a great foreign trade. The correspondence which they had begun on the continent they extended in every direction. By sending their sons to be educated in Germany, Italy, and Spain, they cultivated a more familiar connection with those countries. Their travellers also were acquainted with various languages, and went all over Europe, exhibiting their pattern cards in every town on the continent.Norwich could then boast of rich, energetic, enterprising, and intelligent men, who made the city what it was in their day. Lest their very names should be forgotten, we shall place them in this record. Amongst the manufacturers were
Messrs. Robert and John Harvey,
Messrs. Starling Day and Son,
Messrs. Watson, Firth, and Co.,
Messrs. John Barnard and Angier,
Messrs. Thomas Paul and Flindt,
Messrs. J. Tuthill and Sons,
Messrs. William Barnard and Sons,
Messrs. Edward Marsh and Son,
Messrs. Bream and King,
Messrs. Martin and Williment,
Messrs. Peter Colombine and Son,
Messrs. James Buttivant and William White,
Messrs. W. and W. Taylor,
Messrs. J. Scott and Sons,
Messrs. E. Gurney and Ellington,
Messrs. Patteson and Iselin,
Messrs. Booth and Theobald,
Messrs. George Maltby and Son,
Messrs. William and Robert Herring,
Messrs. Worth and Carter,
Messrs. Bacon and Marshall,
Messrs. Ives and Robberds,
Messrs. J. and J. Ives, Son, and Baseley,
Mr. Robert Partridge,
Mr. Bartholomew Sewell,
Mr. John Robinson,
Mr. Robert Wright,
Mr. John Wright,
Mr. Robert Tillyard,
Mr. Daniel Fromantiel,
Mr. J. C. Hampp,
Mr. John Herring,
Mr. Joseph Cliver, Jun.,
Mr. Oxley,
and others, all of whom have passed away.
Mr. John Kirkpatrick, a linen merchant, who lived in St. Andrew’s, was a learned antiquarian of this period, to whom the city is greatly indebted for his researches and documents respecting the antiquities of Norwich, but only fragments have been published. The late Mr. Hudson Gurney obtained possession of most of his manuscripts, and published his account of the “Religious Orders in Norwich,” in 1845. This work was compiled from a manuscript quarto volume of 258 pages, in the handwriting of the author. Mr. Dawson Turner, the editor, says, in the preface:—
“Mr. Kirkpatrick’s father was a native of the village of Closeburn, in Dumfriesshire, a fact recorded by his son in his will, and further proved by the arms on his tomb (in St. Helen’s church) which are those of the baronet’s family of Kirkpatrick, of Closeburn. From Scotland he removed to Norwich, where he resided in the parish of St. Stephen.His son John was apprenticed in that of St. Clement, and subsequently established himself in business as a linen merchant, in St. Andrew’s, in premises opposite Bridewell Alley. He was there in partnership with Mr. John Custance, who was mayor in 1726, and was the founder of the family of that name at Weston. In the year of his partner’s mayoralty, Mr. Kirkpatrick was appointed treasurer to the Great Hospital, in St. Helen’s, an office which his premature decease allowed him to occupy only for two years. He married the youngest daughter of Mr. John Harvey, great-grandfather of the late Lieut.-Colonel Harvey, of Thorpe Lodge, where his portrait was preserved during the lifetime of that gentleman. It has since been engraved in the very interesting series of portraits of the more eminent inhabitants of Norfolk, of whom no likenesses have yet appeared, a work now in course of publication, under the superintendence of Mr. Ewing. With such, Kirkpatrick is deservedly associated. He died childless. Of his family, nothing more is known than that he had a brother of the name of Thomas, who is mentioned by Blomefield as being chamberlain of Norwich at the time he wrote. The account books of the corporation contain several entries in reference to both the one and the other, but not of sufficient interest to warrant the quoting of them at length. Of the latter, they shew that he was elected chamberlain with a salary of thirty pounds per annum, in the room of Matthew King, in 1732; that in the same year, the freedom of the city was conferred upon him; and that twelve years subsequently he was removed from his office, by reason of irregularity of his accounts. To the antiquary, their testimony is invariably honourable; the most frequent notices being, votes of money for the service he had rendered in adjusting the different accounts of the city.”
“Mr. Kirkpatrick’s father was a native of the village of Closeburn, in Dumfriesshire, a fact recorded by his son in his will, and further proved by the arms on his tomb (in St. Helen’s church) which are those of the baronet’s family of Kirkpatrick, of Closeburn. From Scotland he removed to Norwich, where he resided in the parish of St. Stephen.His son John was apprenticed in that of St. Clement, and subsequently established himself in business as a linen merchant, in St. Andrew’s, in premises opposite Bridewell Alley. He was there in partnership with Mr. John Custance, who was mayor in 1726, and was the founder of the family of that name at Weston. In the year of his partner’s mayoralty, Mr. Kirkpatrick was appointed treasurer to the Great Hospital, in St. Helen’s, an office which his premature decease allowed him to occupy only for two years. He married the youngest daughter of Mr. John Harvey, great-grandfather of the late Lieut.-Colonel Harvey, of Thorpe Lodge, where his portrait was preserved during the lifetime of that gentleman. It has since been engraved in the very interesting series of portraits of the more eminent inhabitants of Norfolk, of whom no likenesses have yet appeared, a work now in course of publication, under the superintendence of Mr. Ewing. With such, Kirkpatrick is deservedly associated. He died childless. Of his family, nothing more is known than that he had a brother of the name of Thomas, who is mentioned by Blomefield as being chamberlain of Norwich at the time he wrote. The account books of the corporation contain several entries in reference to both the one and the other, but not of sufficient interest to warrant the quoting of them at length. Of the latter, they shew that he was elected chamberlain with a salary of thirty pounds per annum, in the room of Matthew King, in 1732; that in the same year, the freedom of the city was conferred upon him; and that twelve years subsequently he was removed from his office, by reason of irregularity of his accounts. To the antiquary, their testimony is invariably honourable; the most frequent notices being, votes of money for the service he had rendered in adjusting the different accounts of the city.”
Mr. Dawson Turner further states:—
“Mr. Kirkpatrick was one of the most able, laborious, learned, and useful antiquaries whom the county has produced. He was especially an indefatigable searcher into local antiquities, and had his life been spared to the term allotted by the holy Psalmist to man, it were impossible to say how much of what is now irretrievably lost to us might have been rescued from oblivion. He had accumulated copious materials, but his early death prevented him from digesting and publishing them. Better far had he contented himself with amassing less, and turning what he had got to account; a lesson hard to learn, but most important to be borne in mind and acted upon. As it was, he was obliged to leave the fulfilment of his task to others; taking all possible care for the safety of his collections, and not doubting that those who came after him, seeing what was prepared for their hands, would cheerfully undertake the office, perhaps with a praiseworthy zeal for communicating information, perhaps with the not less natural desire of building their own fame upon the labours of their predecessors. But in his expectations he was sadly mistaken, and has but furnished an additional proof how difficult it is for any one to enter completely into the objects and ideas of another, and consequently how imperative it is upon all, ourselves to finish the web we have begun, if we wish to see it come perfect and uniform from the loom.”
“Mr. Kirkpatrick was one of the most able, laborious, learned, and useful antiquaries whom the county has produced. He was especially an indefatigable searcher into local antiquities, and had his life been spared to the term allotted by the holy Psalmist to man, it were impossible to say how much of what is now irretrievably lost to us might have been rescued from oblivion. He had accumulated copious materials, but his early death prevented him from digesting and publishing them. Better far had he contented himself with amassing less, and turning what he had got to account; a lesson hard to learn, but most important to be borne in mind and acted upon. As it was, he was obliged to leave the fulfilment of his task to others; taking all possible care for the safety of his collections, and not doubting that those who came after him, seeing what was prepared for their hands, would cheerfully undertake the office, perhaps with a praiseworthy zeal for communicating information, perhaps with the not less natural desire of building their own fame upon the labours of their predecessors. But in his expectations he was sadly mistaken, and has but furnished an additional proof how difficult it is for any one to enter completely into the objects and ideas of another, and consequently how imperative it is upon all, ourselves to finish the web we have begun, if we wish to see it come perfect and uniform from the loom.”
Blomefield, who was a contemporary, acknowledges his great obligations to the learned Norwich antiquary, and recorded the death of his friend and his being buried in St. Helen’s Church, Norwich. The tomb, a black marble monument, by the steps of the altar, bears the following arms and inscription:—
“Argent, a saltier and on a chief,Azure, three woolpacks of the field,Crest, a hand holding a dagger proper,Motto—I make sure.“Here resteth in hope of a joyful resurrection, the body of John Kirkpatrick of this city, Merchant, and Treasurer to this Hospital. He was a man of sound judgment, good understanding and extensive knowledge; industrious in his business, and indefatigable in that of the Corporation in which he was constantly employed. He died, very much lamented by all that knew him, on the 20th day of August, in the year of our Lord, 1728, aged 42.”
“Argent, a saltier and on a chief,Azure, three woolpacks of the field,Crest, a hand holding a dagger proper,Motto—I make sure.
“Here resteth in hope of a joyful resurrection, the body of John Kirkpatrick of this city, Merchant, and Treasurer to this Hospital. He was a man of sound judgment, good understanding and extensive knowledge; industrious in his business, and indefatigable in that of the Corporation in which he was constantly employed. He died, very much lamented by all that knew him, on the 20th day of August, in the year of our Lord, 1728, aged 42.”
The Rev. Francis Blomefield, rector of Fersfield, lived some time in this city, compiling his history of Norwich, which he brought down to the year 1742. He was born at Fersfield, July 23rd, 1705. He was installed rector of that parish in 1729, when he almost immediately commenced collecting materials for a history of his native county, but his work is more a topographical survey than a history. He did not live to complete it, having caught the small-pox when in London, of which he died, in the 46th year of his age, on January 15th, 1751. He began printing his great work in 1736. In 1769 it was continued (but not completed) in five folio volumes by the Rev. Charles Parker, M.A., rector of Oxburgh.
William Anderson,F.R.S., came to Norwich as an excise officer, and his great talents introduced him to the most scientific characters of this city. He obtained the situation of clerk to the New Mills, in Heigham, and was a considerable contributor to Mr. Baker’s works on the Microscope. Many of his papers on Natural History are published in the transactions of the Royal Society. He died in 1767, and was buried in Heigham churchyard.
Anna Letitia Barbauld, sister of Dr. Aikin, of Yarmouth, resided at Norwich. She was the authoress of “Evenings at Home,” and other valuable works for children, and died in 1825.
Peter Barlow, the celebrated mathematician, and author of many of the articles in Rees’ Encyclopædia, and the Encyclopædia Metropolitana, was the son of a warper of this city. He was born October, 1766, in the parish of St. Simon and Jude.
Sir William Beechey, the eminent painter, resided in this city in the early part of his life, and executed several of the paintings in St. Andrew’s Hall, particularly the celebrated portrait of Lord Nelson. He was knighted by George III., and appointed portrait painter to his majesty.
Hancock Blythe, schoolmaster, mathematician, and teacher of languages, resided in Timberhill, and was the author of several small works on astronomy. He died in 1795, aged 73 years.
John Brand,B.A., was a native of this city. His father was a saddler in London Lane. Young Brand, having a turn for study, went for some years to thecontinent, where he acquired the languages and customs of the people so strongly, that on his return to England he received the soubriquêt of Abbè Brand. In 1744 he was reader at St. Peter’s Mancroft. He was the author of several articles in theBritish Critic. He was rector of St. George’s, Southwark, and of Wickham Skeith, in Suffolk. He died in February, 1809.
Henry Cooper, barrister at law, was born in the parish of St. Peter’s Mancroft. He was sent to sea in the early part of his life, but was afterwards called to the bar, and was made attorney general of the Bermudas. After a brilliant career, in which he rapidly became one of the leaders of the Norfolk circuit, he died, after being twelve years at the bar, in 1825.
Mr. Reuben Deavewas a large manufacturer in this city, who, in December, 1769, became the fortunate possessor of a prize in a lottery worth £20,000. The number was 42,903. It came into his possession in the following singular manner. His foreman, who was in a confidential position, had bought two tickets in a lottery, and after some time thought he had speculated too far, and told his employer that he feared he had done a very foolish thing. Mr. Deave, being informed of the circumstance, thought so too, but offered to buy one of the tickets. His foreman took them out of his pocket and gave Mr. Deave his choice. Mr. Deave, however, said he would make no choice, and bought the one offered to him. Shortly afterwards the lottery was drawn, and this ticket proved to be a fortunate number for £20,000, whilethe other was a blank. Mr. Deave, who had paid for the ticket, gave his foreman a cheque for £500, but the poor man was so vexed at losing the prize that he hung himself on the next day. Mr. Deave was much grieved at this, and often said afterwards that the prize never did him any good, for he gave a power of attorney to a man to draw the money in London, and that man bolted with it, and was never heard of afterwards.
William Enfield,LL.D.an eminent literary character, was for many years the minister at the Octagon Chapel here. He was much beloved by his congregation, and died November 2nd, 1797, aged 57, and was buried in the chapel, where there is a monument to his memory.
Sir John Fenn, the editor of the “Paston Letters,” was born here in 1739; on presenting the first two volumes of these letters to George III. in 1787, he was knighted. He died October 14th, 1796.
John Fransham, the Norwich Polytheist, a very eccentric character, was born in St. George’s Colegate. He was an excellent mathematician, and was a great admirer of the ancient writers on this science. He frequently took rapid solitary walks, with a broad brimmed hat slouched over his eyes, and a plaid on his shoulders, and was supposed to sleep often on Mousehold Heath. He died on February 1st, 1810. His biography was written by his pupil, Mr. Saint.
Thomas Hall,Esq., a merchant, lived in the early part of this period. He founded a monthly sacramental lecture, left several legacies to the charities, and£100 for a gold chain to be worn by the Mayor of Norwich, and which is now worn by the Deputy Mayor. He died on December 17th, 1715, and was buried with great funeral pomp at St. George’s Colegate. A portrait of this pious and liberal benefactor was presented by John and Edward Taylor, Esqs., to the corporation, and placed in the council chamber, May, 1821.
John Hobart, Earl of Buckinghamshire, sat as member of parliament for this city from 1747 to 1756, when he succeeded to the peerage. He was a liberal benefactor to the city. He was born August 17th, 1723, and died September 3rd, 1793.
James Hooke, a celebrated musician, author of more than 2400 songs, 140 complete works or operas, one oratorio, and many odes, anthems, &c., was born in this city. At the early age of four years he was capable of playing many pieces, and at six he performed in public. He died in 1813, leaving two sons by his first wife. One of them was Dr. James Hooke, Dean of Worcester, who died in 1828. The other was the celebrated author of “Sayings and Doings.”
David Kinnebrook, an eminent mathematician, was born here. He was master of one of the charity schools for forty years, and never absented himself a single day until his last illness. He died March 23rd, 1810, aged 72.
John Lens,Esq.,M.A., ancient sergeant at law, is believed to have been born in the parish of St. Andrew’s, and was educated here. In 1781, he was called to the bar. He first practised in the Courts ofKing’s Bench, but being made a sergeant, confined himself chiefly to the common pleas. He was afterwards made King’s and next King’s Ancient Sergeant. On more than one occasion he declined the offer of the bench. He died August 6th, 1825, in his 69th year.
Richard Lubbock,M.D., was born here in 1759, and was educated at the Free Grammar School. He obtained his degree at Edinburgh in 1784. On his return to Norwich he practised with great success. He died September 1st, 1808, and was buried at Earlham church.
TheRight Rev. Jacob Mountain,D.D., was the first protestant bishop in the Canadas. He was born in the parish of St. Andrew. He presided over the church in the two Canadas for thirty-two years, and died June 16th, 1825, in the seventy-fifth year of his age.
Samuel Parr,LL.D., was master of the Free Grammar School from 1778 to 1792, when he resigned on being presented to the rectory of Buckden, in Lincolnshire.
Edward Rigby,M.D., was born at Chawbent, in Lancashire, December 9th, 1749. He was under the tuition of Dr. Priestley until he was fourteen, when he was apprenticed to Mr. David Martineau of this city. In 1805 he was elected mayor, and died Oct. 27th, 1822. In August, 1818, the corporation voted him and his lady a piece of plate of the value of twenty-five guineas, as a memento of the memorable birth of their four children at one time, and the eventwas recorded in the city books. Two of the children lived to be nearly twelve weeks old, and the other two not quite seven weeks.
William Saint, one of the mathematical masters of the Royal Military Academy, at Woolwich, was a native of St. Mary’s Coslany. He wrote the “Life of Fransham,” and was a contributor to the “Lady’s Diary.” He died July 9th, 1819.
George Sandby,D.D., chancellor of the diocese of Norwich, personally presided in the consistorial court of the Lord Bishop of Norwich for nearly thirty years, during the whole of which time no decree of his was reversed by a superior court. He died March 17th, 1807, aged ninety-one.
William Say, an eminent mezzotinto engraver, was born at Lakenham in 1768.
Frank Sayers,M.D., an eminent physician and literary character, who for many years resided in this city, was born in London, March 3rd, 1763. He was the author of “Dramatic Sketches of the Ancient Northern Mythology,” “Poems,” “Disquisitious, Metaphysical and Literary,” “Nugæ Poeticæ,” and “Miscellanies, Antiquarian and Historical.” He died August 16th, 1817, and a mural monument is erected to his memory in the Cathedral, with a Latin inscription by the Rev. F. Howes. His works were collected and edited by the late William Taylor of this city.
Sir James Edward Smith,M.D.,F.R.S., president of the Linnæan Society, London, and of the Norwich Museum, and member of several foreign academies,was born in St. Peter’s Mancroft, December 2nd, 1759. He received his education here, and graduated as a physician at Leyden, in 1786. He assisted materially in the establishment of the Linnæan Society, in 1788, of which he was the first president, and he continued to preside over the society until his death, March 15th, 1828. He was the author of several admirable botanical works.
William Stevenson,F.S.A., who was for many years proprietor of the “Norfolk Chronicle,” and who edited a new edition of “Bentham’s History of Ely Cathedral,” was born at East Retford, in 1750, and died at his house in Surrey Street in this city, May 13th, 1821, aged seventy-one. He was, in the early part of his life, an artist of no mean pretension; and was esteemed an antiquarian and numismatist of considerable knowledge and research.
John Taylor,D.D., was a native of Lancaster. He came to Norwich in 1733, and was a minister to the Presbyterian dissenters in 1757. He was the author of several theological works, and died at Warrington, March 5th, 1761, aged sixty-six.
William Taylor, a celebrated German scholar, and a very eccentric character, author of an “Historical Survey of German Poetry,” and a translator of several German works, was born in this city, and resided for many years in Upper King Street. He died in 1836, aged sixty-nine.
Edward Baron Thurlowwas born at Bracon Ash, in this county. He received the rudiments of his education at the Free Grammar School here. He rosesuccessively to be appointed solicitor general, attorney general, master of the rolls, and lord high chancellor of Great Britain, and was created Lord Thurlow in 1778. In 1793 he resigned the seals. He died at Brighton, September 12th, 1806.
William Wilkins,sen., architect, was born in the parish of St. Benedict, about the year 1744 or 1747. He received but a limited education, but possessed an admirable taste for design, and his plans and drawings were very beautiful. He was the author of a clever essay in Vol. xii. of the “Archæologia,” on the Venta Icenorum.
William Wilkins,M.A., son of the above, was born in St. Giles’ parish. He was educated at the Free Grammar School here. He was employed in the erection of several public buildings in London, and numerous private mansions. His literary labours were confined to the subject of architecture, and his “Magna Græcia” is considered to be an excellent work.
William Windham. This eminent statesman represented the city in several parliaments. He was born in London in 1750, and first sat for Norwich in 1780. In 1783 he was appointed secretary to the lord lieutenant of Ireland, and made his first speech in parliament in 1785. He died in 1806.
Sir Benjamin Wrench, an eminent physician, who practised here for sixty years, lived in St. Andrew’s. His house occupied the site of the present Corn Exchange. He was lord of the manor of Little Melton in Blomefield’s time.
We have now arrived at the present age of political progress, and material prosperity; the age of inventions, railways, newspapers, and telegraphs; the age of expansion and general intelligence. George III., George IV., and William IV., have reigned in this century, and have been succeeded by our beloved Queen Victoria. Under her benign sway the old semi-barbarous state of society has passed away like a dream, and we live in a new social era, the result of the progress of education, of the march of improvement, and of the spread of true religion.
As it has been often stated by local historians that Norwich formerly contained a very large population, and as this statement is very generally believed, we may here correct the mistake by giving the returns, which show a very gradual, and very slow increase from the earliest period to the present time. The parochial returns show that in 1693 the population was only 28,881; in 1752 it had increased to 36,169; and in 1786 to 40,051. This was the greatest number up to the end of the last century. In 1801 it was 36,832, not including 6,000 recruits for the army, navy, and militia; making the total number 42,832. This indicates a very slow increase of population. The following are the returns for the present century: 1801, 36,832; 1811, 37,256; 1821, 50,288; 1831, 61,116; 1841, 62,294; 1851, 68,713; 1861, 74,414, being an increase of about 500 yearly. Norwich in1752 contained only 7131 houses, and in 1801 8763, of which 1747 were returned as empty. In 1831 the number was 14,201, of which 13,132 were inhabited. Now the number is over 21,000, and the rateable value is £178,882.
We must now leave the stately march of history for a more broken and interrupted step. There is some difficulty in detailing the events of this period, for every reader is more or less acquainted with it, and has viewed it in relation to his own interests and prejudices. The records of facts are so voluminous, that every reader may think that there is something omitted, or misrepresented, or exaggerated. It is impossible, however, to mention every local occurrence which some one may think important, every accident, or fire, or crime, or every grand concert or entertainment. We have to deal with events more connected with general history; and we shall first state the more remarkable occurrences of a civil or municipal character, reserving political matters for a subsequent chapter. But in order to render our narrative of local events, and especially local elections, more intelligible, it will be necessary to give a brief account of the old corporation, whose proceedings occupy so large a part of our records.
This body claims a prescriptive origin. Certain privileges were granted to the city by the charters of different sovereigns, the first being that of Henry I.,which was annulled and again renewed by Stephen. The particular privileges conceded by it cannot now be ascertained. The next charter is that of the 5th Henry II., but this is only confirmatory of former grants, and the original is still preserved in the Guildhall. One granted by Richard I. contains some estimable clauses. The most prominent are, that no citizen shall be forced to answer any plea or action in any but the city courts, except for those concerning possessions out of the city; that the citizens should haveacquittanceofmurder, which is equivalent to granting them a coroner; that they should not be forced toduel, that is, should be exempt from the general law which was then in force, of deciding causes by single combat; that they should be free from toll throughout all England; and that they should have other liberties, all highly important, and no doubt justly appreciated by the citizens of that period. King John’s charter is similar to the preceding, and that of Henry II., with the addition that all persons living in the city, and participating in the liberties of the citizens, shall be talliated or taxed, and pay as the aforesaid citizens of Norwich do, when tollages and aid shall be laid upon them. It is probable that the principal authority was invested in bailiffs, instead of a provost, in 1223, as there is no evidence of the existence of such officers before that time.
Two deeds of Henry III., and several of succeeding kings, all either confirmed or enlarged the privileges granted to the city; but our attention is most attracted by the concessions of Henry IV., which establishedthe constitution of a mayor, sheriffs, &c. The original charter is lost, but those of his son and more modern princes have sufficiently preserved the spirit of it. The charter of Henry V. made the extensive territory within the corporation limits a county of itself, excepting only the castle, which belonged to Norfolk. This territory was, by the boundary act, included for the purposes of representation. Twenty-five charters, the latest by James II., are known to have been granted, and probably others existed and have been lost. When the innovations, made in old establishments during the Commonwealth, were gradually reformed, the citizens petitioned for a renewal of their rights. The charter of 15th Charles II. was obtained, and under it the city was governed till the passing of the Municipal Reform Act. Most of the old charters were granted in consideration for sums of money given or lent to kings to enable them to carry on wars. Many of the charters were more injurious than beneficial to the city, as they created monopolies of one kind or other, or gave powers to the old corporation which were frequently abused. Those who wish to study those old documents more minutely may find them in Blomefield’s history.
The old corporation was more ornamental than useful to the city for 400 years. Under it the sanitary state of the city was so bad, the drainage of the city so defective, and the supply of water so insufficient, that plagues and pestilences, which carried off thousands of the citizens, were of frequent occurrence. Ward elections were so often contested, thatbribery, treating, and intimidation, were quite common, and the corruption of the freemen and lower classes was universal. Physically and morally the city was for centuries in the worst possible condition. The ward elections were carried on with a spirit which was surpassed in no other place. They were considered as trials of strength between different parties; and if they happened at a period when a general election was anticipated, an enormous sum of money was spent in treating and bribery. Indeed, it has been asserted on good authority that no less a sum than £16,000 was wasted in the contest for a single ward in 1818! The city was divided into four great wards, each of which was subdivided into three small wards. The mayor was elected by the freemen on May 1st, and sworn into his office on the Guild day, which was always the Tuesday before Midsummer day. He was chosen from the aldermen, and afterwards he was a magistrate for life. One of the sheriffs was chosen by the court of aldermen, the other by the freemen on the last Tuesday in August. The twenty-four aldermen were chosen for the twelve smaller wards, two for each ward, whose office was to keep the peace in their several divisions. When anyone of them died, the freemen of that great ward in which the lesser ward was included, for which he was to serve, elected another in his place within five days. The common councilmen were elected by the freemen dwelling in each of the four great wards separately; for Conisford great ward on the Monday; Mancroft on the Tuesday; Wymer on the Wednesday; and the Northern ward onthe Thursday in Passion week, thence called “cleansing” week. They chose a speaker yearly, who was called speaker of the commons. The old freemen therefore formed the whole of the local constituency for municipal purposes.
Memoirs are often the best sources of information respecting public matters, as they let us behind the scenes and show us what the actors really thought and did. A good memoir of the late Professor Taylor, which appeared in theNorfolk News, of March 28th and April 4th, 1863, contained the following, “So far back as 1808 we find Mr. Taylor recording that he was ‘elected a common councilman for the fourth time.’” He also states that the contest for nominees in the Long ward was “the severest ever remembered.” Few people now-a-days could realize the import of those few words. Few understand how much was implied by the once common phrase “a battle for the Long ward.” The combatants would have scorned such mealy-mouthed appellations, as “conservative” and “liberal,” or indeed any name but that of the colors under which they fought. They were “blue-and-whites,” or “orange-and-purples;” the former being what would now be called the “liberal,” and the latter the “conservative,” party. To be a blue-and-white or an orange-and-purple, was to be an angel or a devil, as the case might be; the angels being of course those of your own side, to whichever you belonged. Great was the potency of colors: though not supposed to be worn at municipal elections, they were a rallying cry, and they were always at hand to be flouted, likea red rag at a turkey, in the face of the enemy. Even housemaids and children concealed them about their persons, in readiness to show them slyly from some window, both to encourage their friends and exasperate their enemies, whenever a procession passed. Great were the preparations for the contest. A sort of civic press-gang prowled the streets by night for the purpose of “cooping chickens,” which, being done into English, means carrying men off by force, and keeping them drunk and in confinement, so that if they could not be got to vote “for” it would be impossible for them to vote “against.” If they could not be safely secured in the city, they were “cribbed, cabined, and confined” in wherries on the river, or the broads, or even taken to Yarmouth and carried out to sea. When the day of battle came, great was the shouting, the drinking, the betting, the bribing, and the fighting, till the longest purse contrived to win the day. Of course, the dirty work was done by dirty men. But leading men on both sides were so used to see this sort of thing, that they considered it only as a necessary part and parcel of an election. It was regarded rather as a limb which could not be safely severed from the body, than as a shabby coat which disgraced the wearer. Besides, palliating rhetoric was not absent. Better do a little evil than surrender a cause essential to the welfare of the state! “What we did,” we honest orange-and-purples, or we pure blue-and-whites, “was done in mere self-defence.”
1801. January 1st, 1801, being the first day of the nineteenth century, and the day on which the Union of Great Britain and Ireland took place, the 13th Regiment of Light Dragoons dismounted, and the Militia fired afeu de joiein the Market Place.
January 3rd. The old Theatre (built in 1757) was re-opened after extensive improvements. The alterations were executed after the designs of William Wilkins, Esq., the patentee. This theatre was formerly a good school for young actors, and many promising performers have first appeared on these boards. Of late, operatic performances appear to be most in favour with the gentry.
February 24th. Charles Harvey, Esq., the steward, was unanimously elected Recorder of Norwich, vice Henry Partridge, Esq., resigned.
April 4th. Mrs. Lloyd, widow of the Rev. Dean Lloyd, died at Cambridge, aged 79. This lady painted the Transfiguration, and other figures in the eastern windows of the Cathedral.
In April, the ward elections were the causes of great contention. In consequence of objections being made to the elections of two nominees of the Wymer ward, and three of the Northern ward, on the ground of their being ineligible under the corporation act, having omitted to receive the sacrament within a year previous to the election of the common council, the mayor did not make the returns till several days after the usualtime. At a court held April 4th, after the objections had been fully heard by counsel, the recorder (Mr. Harvey) declared that the persons objected to who had the majority of votes, having omitted to come into court according to summons, were not duly elected, but as no regular notice had been given previous to the election, the candidates in the minority could not be returned. A new election for the above wards accordingly took place on May 25th and 26th.
June 16th. Jeremiah Ives, Esq., of Catton, was elected mayor a second time. There was no guild feast this year at St. Andrew’s Hall.
June 25th. An awful fire, which lasted two hours, broke out on the roof of the Cathedral, and in less than an hour, 45 feet of the leaded roof, towards the western end of the nave, were consumed. Some plumbers had been at work repairing the roof, and set fire to it either accidentally or intentionally. The damage was about £500. The Lord Bishop (Dr. Sutton) was present, and distributed refreshment to the soldiers and people who assisted in arresting the progress of the conflagration.