PART II.

Free Christian Church.  The Dutch Church, in St. Andrew’s Hall, originally the Conventual Church of the Black Friars, was granted to the Walloon congregation; but they now have service only once a year, when a sermon is preached in Dutch and afterwards in English.  During the rest of the year the place is used by the Free Christian Church—Rev. J. Crompton, minister.

The French Church, Queen Street—originallythe parochial church of St. Mary Parva, and afterwards a cloth exchange—was granted, in 1637, to the French Protestant refugees.  It is now occupied by the receivers of the doctrines enunciated by Emanuel Swedenborg.  Mr. E. D. Rogers, leader.

The Jews—who were formerly very numerous in this city—have a handsome synagogue in St. Faith’s Lane, erected in 1849, at a cost of £1600.  Rev. S. Caro, minister.

TheCatholic Apostolic Church(Irvingites) occupy a building in Clement Court, Redwell Street.  The present minister is the Rev. Arthur Inglis, B.A.

Since the 17th century Nonconformists have increased from a few hundreds to 10,000 in this city.

TheCastle, Cathedral, and churches already described are the chief antiquities of the city, but other remains are worthy of notice, and have been described by Blomefield, Kirkpatrick, Taylor, Harrod, S. Woodward, B. B. Woodward, the Rev. R. Hart of Catton, R. Fitch, Esq., and other antiquaries, who have explored every part of the old city.  They nearly all agree in their accounts of the rise and progress of Norwich, and of its condition at different periods.

B. B. Woodward, Esq., F.S.A., delivered two lectures on “Norwich in the Olden Time,” to the members of the Church of England Young Men’s Society, at the Assembly Rooms, some years since.  He showed a thorough knowledge of all the previous authorities, with whom he sometimes differed.  He exhibited four large maps, presenting views of the Old City at different periods, fromA.D.400 toA.D.1400.  He stated that he had derived the greater part of his materials for them from the series of maps of ancient Norwich made by his father, the late Mr. S. Woodward, but he had corrected and completed them from the publications of various Archæological Societies since they had been constructed, and he hoped that they would serve to illustrate the growth and progress of the ancient city with general fidelity to facts.  Directing attention to the first map, which represented the condition of theVenta Icenorum,A.D.400, Mr. Woodward pointed out the purely fictitious character of the earliest accounts of Norwich to be found in the older historians, who drew, in all good faith, on their fertile imaginations, and both persuaded themselves that they were writing history, and that they were believed to be doing so by others.

The old-established tradition, that the sea came up to Norwich, he stated, was undoubtedly to be accepted, but not as having occurred within the historic period.  From various facts, and particularly from the occurrence of a Roman road at Wangford, near Bungay,near the edge of the present stream, he concluded that in the times of the Romans, the valleys of the Eastern Counties did not present a very different aspect from their present one, though of course where there was now meadow, marsh existed formerly, and many small streams have disappeared.  Mr. Woodward, on this point, differed entirely from all the local historians and antiquarians, and his opinion is not supported by any evidence.  The existence of a Roman road at Wangford, near Bungay, if such there be, has nothing to do with the river Yare.  Mr. Woodward offered no proof that it is a Roman road.  All the local historians state that a broad arm of the sea flowed up to Norwich till the 11th century, when Sweyn came up with a great fleet and landed an army here.  Parochial records prove that the river came up to St. Lawrence Steps at a later period.  We may therefore dismiss this singular opinion as untenable.

Mr. Woodward regarded Norwich as theVenta Icenorumof the Romans for several reasons, and particularly because it was plain from the occurrence of these Ventas in Britain, and none in any other part of the Roman world, that this was the name of a British town, which its being called the Venta of the Iceni strongly confirmed—even, in fact, a British stronghold, constructed according to the custom of that people in parts of the country without hills.  In hilly countries the strongholds were entrenchments round the summits of the hills, but then there were small tracts of land surrounded by marshes.  Such were the British strongholds on Bungay Common, and that atHorning, and such he believed was theVenta Icenorum.  They were not intended for permanent occupation, but as places of safety for their wives and children, and for their cattle, in case of the attack of another tribe; and they could rarely be held against the enemy for any length of time.  In this instance, the trench was drawn in a horse-shoe form, from the eastern slope of the ground on which the Castle now stands to the western side, the steep bank of the little stream, called the Cockey, being rendered more steep by art, whilst the Wensum and marshes protected the other sides.  The position of the Roman camp, as the map showed, was determined by its being the fittest for keeping in check theIceniofVenta, and preventing them from marching against the southern part of the island; and it might probably have been placed there after the disastrous experiment of what theIcenicould do under such a leader as their famous Queen Boadicea.  In the latter part of the Roman period it would seem that the conquerors had less occasion for mere military force here, for the remains of a Roman villa had been found in the northern side of the camp at Caister.

Mr. Woodward said the Map of Norfolk still showed traces of Roman roads radiating from Norwich.  The principal roads were—one entering the stronghold in the western side, now St. Stephen’s Street; another entering it on the east, now known as King Street.  This last crossed the river by a ford at Fyebridge, and was the origin of Magdalen Street and St. Augustine’s Street; another road left the fortress on the western side, near the river, and was called St. Benedict’sStreet; and the last crossed the river at Bishopbridge by another ford, and sent off branches to the north-east and east of Norfolk.  He believed that nearly all the main lines of road originated with the Romans, but this is at least doubtful.  Norwich must then have been a very large town to have required so many main lines of roads; but its very existence as a town is uncertain during the Roman period.

Mr. Woodward’s second map exhibited the entrenchments round the fortress as already described, at the time of the Conquest.  Map the third exhibited the condition of the city in the time of the Domesday Survey, or aboutA.D.1100, when 54 churches and chapels existed.  Map the fourth showed the state of the cityA.D.1400, when Norwich was described as at the acme of its splendour and importance, and second only to Bristol, after London.  This arose from its being the capital of East Anglia, and the residence of so many of the clergy and gentry.  Mr. Woodward pointed out the sites of some of the old monasteries in this period.  The Bishop’s palace was then within the precincts of the close.  Besides the monastery there, and that of St. Leonard’s, there were then several others in Norwich.  In King Street, to the south of St. Faith’s Lane, were the Austin Friars, and to the north of Rose Lane the Grey Friars.  Both these monastic communities were said to have encroached on the adjacent streets, churchyards, &c., by extending their precincts; which accounted for the changes around them.  The Carmelites occupied the whole angle of the city between the river, the walls,and Bargate Street.  But few traces of these establishments now remain.  The case of the Black Friars was very different.  Their magnificent church is still almost entire; much of the convent is still standing in St. Andrew’s Hall, and the Dutch or Walloon Church, and the oldest parts of the former Workhouse.  In addition to these, there had been several smaller monastic orders which were merged in the others before the 15th century.  In this period, most of the streets on the north side of the town were in existence, and some on the south side.

Formerly, as already intimated, some of our streets were named from the trades of those who occupied them.  Thus there were Saddlers’ Gate, now White Lion Street; Wastelgate, now Red Lion Street; Cordwainers’ Row, now part of the Walk; Goldsmiths’ Row, north side of the Market; Hosiers’ Row, in part of London Street; Cutlers’ Row, in part of London Street; Hatters’ Row, now St. Giles’ Street; Dyers’ Row, in St. Lawrence Street; and Pottergate Street, still so called.  The Cloth Hall stood in the Haymarket; and on the west side were the Butchery, the Fishmarket, and various other rows, where articles of food were sold.

R.Fitch,Esq., is the very best authority respecting the old walls and gates, of which he made a study for many years; and in 1861 he published a very handsome illustrated volume entitled, “Views of the Gatesof Norwich made in the years 1792–3, by the late John Ninham; with an Historical Introduction, Extracts from the Corporation Records, and Papers by the late John Kirkpatrick, contributed to the Transactions of the Norfolk and Norwich Archæological Society, by Robert Fitch, F.S.A., F.G.S.”  The author says:—

“The history of the walls of Norwich is a history of the gate houses, and in speaking of the origin of the first we include that of the second.  In 1294, being the 23rd Edward I., the first mural tax was granted, and continued three years.  A second tax succeeded this, and in 1304 a third tax was imposed, to continue in operation for five years.  In the 11th of Edward II., a fourth tax of the like nature was allowed; and in two years after, namely in 1319, the walls of Norwich were completed.”“When the thickness and extent of the fortifications of this city are considered, it cannot be thought surprising that a period of 25 years elapsed before these mural defences were finished, so far as to render no additional tax necessary.  It must not, however, be considered that no other pecuniary assistance was required towards the work.  The citizens themselves manifested the greatest interest in the subject; and the ancient books of account contain not only entries of money expended on the walls and gates, but also register the private contributions of persons towards the same object and for necessary reparation.”“It has been previously observed, that in 1319 the walls of the city were said to have been completed; but something more was required to render them adequate to the purpose for which they were designed.  Neither towers nor gates could be of use unless properly furnished with munitions ofwar and the implements then in use for their projection.  This does not appear to have taken place until 23 years after completion, namely in 1342, in 16th Edward III., when a patriotic citizen, Richard Spynk, for the honour of the monarch and the safety of his fellow citizens, gave thirty espringolds to cast stones with, to be kept at divers gates and towers; 100 gogions, or balls of stone, locked up in a box; a box with ropes and accoutrements; four great arblasters, or crossbows, and 100 gogions for each arblaster; two pairs of grapples, to bring the bows to the requisite tension for discharge; also other gogions, and some armour.”

“The history of the walls of Norwich is a history of the gate houses, and in speaking of the origin of the first we include that of the second.  In 1294, being the 23rd Edward I., the first mural tax was granted, and continued three years.  A second tax succeeded this, and in 1304 a third tax was imposed, to continue in operation for five years.  In the 11th of Edward II., a fourth tax of the like nature was allowed; and in two years after, namely in 1319, the walls of Norwich were completed.”

“When the thickness and extent of the fortifications of this city are considered, it cannot be thought surprising that a period of 25 years elapsed before these mural defences were finished, so far as to render no additional tax necessary.  It must not, however, be considered that no other pecuniary assistance was required towards the work.  The citizens themselves manifested the greatest interest in the subject; and the ancient books of account contain not only entries of money expended on the walls and gates, but also register the private contributions of persons towards the same object and for necessary reparation.”

“It has been previously observed, that in 1319 the walls of the city were said to have been completed; but something more was required to render them adequate to the purpose for which they were designed.  Neither towers nor gates could be of use unless properly furnished with munitions ofwar and the implements then in use for their projection.  This does not appear to have taken place until 23 years after completion, namely in 1342, in 16th Edward III., when a patriotic citizen, Richard Spynk, for the honour of the monarch and the safety of his fellow citizens, gave thirty espringolds to cast stones with, to be kept at divers gates and towers; 100 gogions, or balls of stone, locked up in a box; a box with ropes and accoutrements; four great arblasters, or crossbows, and 100 gogions for each arblaster; two pairs of grapples, to bring the bows to the requisite tension for discharge; also other gogions, and some armour.”

After stating other acts of this citizen, Mr. Fitch proceeds:—

“From this long recital of gifts, it must be concluded that Richard Spynk was virtually the fortifier of the city; for it is clear that until his munificence made the gates and walls complete, they were imperfect.  Nor did he suffer his work to fall into decay; but by the adoption of rules and regulations, he preserved to the city the full benefit of what he had done.”“Before proceeding further with an outline of the history of the Walls and Gates, it should be stated that Norwich had been previously surrounded by a ditch and bank for protection.” * * * * *“One benefit produces another, and to Richard Spynk was the City not only indebted for its safety from aggression, but also for an extension of its liberties.“It is recorded that Queen Isabella induced the king, her son, in consideration of the costs and charges for the Walls which had been raised without call on the Government, togrant a charter to the Citizens, that they, and their heirs and successors, dwelling in the said City, should for ever be free from jurisdiction of the Clerk of the Market and of the household of the King, and his heirs, so that the said Clerk or his officers should not enter the City, or fee or make assay of any measures or weights, or to exercise or do anything belonging to the said office of the Clerk of the Market.“In this King’s reign, according to the Customs’ Book, there is an account of the battlements on the various gates, towers, and walls.  These were numbered, in order that each parish might be made acquainted with its responsibilities of repairs in this respect.  Beginning from the river to Coslany Gate, there were 112 battlements, and 10 on the gate itself.  From that point to St. Augustine’s Gate, were 69 battlements, and on the gate, 12.  Thence to Fibrigge Gate—on the walls and towers were 153 battlements, and on the gate, 13; thence to Pockthorpe Gate—on the walls and towers were 178, and on the gate, 10; and from this gate to the river were about 40.  From this point to the tower of Conisford Gate, the river chiefly protects the city, but the tower bore 12 battlements; and from the tower on the city side of the water to Conisford Gate, were 26 battlements with 14 on the gate.  Thence to Ber Street Gate, were 150; on the gate and its wicket were 27; and from thence to St. Stephen’s Gate were 307 (here were some strong towers); and on this gate and wicket were 28.“From St. Stephen’s to St. Giles’ Gate were 229 (here again were several strong towers), and on the gate and wicket were 15; and from St. Giles’ to St. Benedict’s Gate were 100, and on the gate itself and wicket were 16; thence to Heigham Gate 79, and on the gate 4—and from this gate to the tower and wall on the river were 16 battlements; in all, 1630.  At this period (1345, according to the DomesdayBook of the City) there was a tax called ‘Fossage,’ to defray the great charges of the walls and ditches.”  * *“In 1385 a general survey was made, and all the walls and gates were placed in good repair, with a sufficient number of men appointed to guard them.  It was also agreed that churchwards should be chosen annually, whose duty it should be to prevent any decay or permanent injury to the fortifications by timely repair or by reconstruction.  In 1386, the expectancy of invasion caused general fear throughout the realm, and particularly in the eastern counties.  The king sent nearly a thousand men to Yarmouth for the defence of the coast; and so imminent was the peril, that the king commanded the authorities of Norwich to place the walls, towers, and gates in full and able condition to repel all who might appear in opposition to the king’s authority, or crush a design to injure the city.  The towers were therefore filled with engines of defence, the walls rendered perfect, and the ditches made as wide and as deep as the necessities of the case demanded.” * * * *

“From this long recital of gifts, it must be concluded that Richard Spynk was virtually the fortifier of the city; for it is clear that until his munificence made the gates and walls complete, they were imperfect.  Nor did he suffer his work to fall into decay; but by the adoption of rules and regulations, he preserved to the city the full benefit of what he had done.”

“Before proceeding further with an outline of the history of the Walls and Gates, it should be stated that Norwich had been previously surrounded by a ditch and bank for protection.” * * * * *

“One benefit produces another, and to Richard Spynk was the City not only indebted for its safety from aggression, but also for an extension of its liberties.

“It is recorded that Queen Isabella induced the king, her son, in consideration of the costs and charges for the Walls which had been raised without call on the Government, togrant a charter to the Citizens, that they, and their heirs and successors, dwelling in the said City, should for ever be free from jurisdiction of the Clerk of the Market and of the household of the King, and his heirs, so that the said Clerk or his officers should not enter the City, or fee or make assay of any measures or weights, or to exercise or do anything belonging to the said office of the Clerk of the Market.

“In this King’s reign, according to the Customs’ Book, there is an account of the battlements on the various gates, towers, and walls.  These were numbered, in order that each parish might be made acquainted with its responsibilities of repairs in this respect.  Beginning from the river to Coslany Gate, there were 112 battlements, and 10 on the gate itself.  From that point to St. Augustine’s Gate, were 69 battlements, and on the gate, 12.  Thence to Fibrigge Gate—on the walls and towers were 153 battlements, and on the gate, 13; thence to Pockthorpe Gate—on the walls and towers were 178, and on the gate, 10; and from this gate to the river were about 40.  From this point to the tower of Conisford Gate, the river chiefly protects the city, but the tower bore 12 battlements; and from the tower on the city side of the water to Conisford Gate, were 26 battlements with 14 on the gate.  Thence to Ber Street Gate, were 150; on the gate and its wicket were 27; and from thence to St. Stephen’s Gate were 307 (here were some strong towers); and on this gate and wicket were 28.

“From St. Stephen’s to St. Giles’ Gate were 229 (here again were several strong towers), and on the gate and wicket were 15; and from St. Giles’ to St. Benedict’s Gate were 100, and on the gate itself and wicket were 16; thence to Heigham Gate 79, and on the gate 4—and from this gate to the tower and wall on the river were 16 battlements; in all, 1630.  At this period (1345, according to the DomesdayBook of the City) there was a tax called ‘Fossage,’ to defray the great charges of the walls and ditches.”  * *

“In 1385 a general survey was made, and all the walls and gates were placed in good repair, with a sufficient number of men appointed to guard them.  It was also agreed that churchwards should be chosen annually, whose duty it should be to prevent any decay or permanent injury to the fortifications by timely repair or by reconstruction.  In 1386, the expectancy of invasion caused general fear throughout the realm, and particularly in the eastern counties.  The king sent nearly a thousand men to Yarmouth for the defence of the coast; and so imminent was the peril, that the king commanded the authorities of Norwich to place the walls, towers, and gates in full and able condition to repel all who might appear in opposition to the king’s authority, or crush a design to injure the city.  The towers were therefore filled with engines of defence, the walls rendered perfect, and the ditches made as wide and as deep as the necessities of the case demanded.” * * * *

The author proceeds to show the anxious attention which was paid to the preservation of the walls and gates, by copious extracts from a roll, dated 1386.  He then gives a full history of the fortifications, from which we shall make some extracts in our narrative of events at different periods.  He thus concludes his historical sketch:—

“Not a fragment of the gates now exists, but the certain indications of where, in some instances, they once stood, are yet accidentally preserved.”

“Not a fragment of the gates now exists, but the certain indications of where, in some instances, they once stood, are yet accidentally preserved.”

With a short notice of these, the account is concluded:—

“Conisford Gate.  A fragment of the wall of the east side of this gate still exists, attached to the west of the ‘Cinder Ovens’ public house at the south end of King Street, and also on the opposite side of the street.“Ber Street Gate.  No portion of this gate remains; but where the structure stood is sufficiently evident by the high wall on the west side of the upper end of Ber Street.“Brazen Doors.  Not a fragment remains.“St. Stephen’s Gate.  No portion left.“St. Giles’ Gate.  The house against which the south side of this gate abutted still stands, and part of the lower walls of the building can be seen.[126]“St. Benedict’s Gate.  Here a corresponding house or abuttal of this gate stands perfect, with one of the strong iron staples, on which hung one of the doors, projecting from the wall.“Heigham Gate.  Very slight remains left.“St. Martin’s Gate.  A portion of the north side of this gate is left erect and firm, with small tenements abutting against it“St. Augustine’s Gate.  No fragment is left.  A large portion of the ditch between this gate and St. Martin’s is clearly seen, very few buildings having been erected on its site.“Magdalen Gate.  No portion left, but the form and interior of the city wall is well seen at this point.“BarreorPockthorpe Gate.  Indications are left of where the gate stood, with fragments of the wall on the right and left“Bishop’s Gate.  Nothing of the gate exists, but the exact site may be seen by the necessary increased width of the bridge.“The precise spot where each gate stood may be found by tracing a line of the city wall, where it crossed a street; the gates being of course integral portions of the wall perforated for traffic and fortified with extra work for adequate defence.”

“Conisford Gate.  A fragment of the wall of the east side of this gate still exists, attached to the west of the ‘Cinder Ovens’ public house at the south end of King Street, and also on the opposite side of the street.

“Ber Street Gate.  No portion of this gate remains; but where the structure stood is sufficiently evident by the high wall on the west side of the upper end of Ber Street.

“Brazen Doors.  Not a fragment remains.

“St. Stephen’s Gate.  No portion left.

“St. Giles’ Gate.  The house against which the south side of this gate abutted still stands, and part of the lower walls of the building can be seen.[126]

“St. Benedict’s Gate.  Here a corresponding house or abuttal of this gate stands perfect, with one of the strong iron staples, on which hung one of the doors, projecting from the wall.

“Heigham Gate.  Very slight remains left.

“St. Martin’s Gate.  A portion of the north side of this gate is left erect and firm, with small tenements abutting against it

“St. Augustine’s Gate.  No fragment is left.  A large portion of the ditch between this gate and St. Martin’s is clearly seen, very few buildings having been erected on its site.

“Magdalen Gate.  No portion left, but the form and interior of the city wall is well seen at this point.

“BarreorPockthorpe Gate.  Indications are left of where the gate stood, with fragments of the wall on the right and left

“Bishop’s Gate.  Nothing of the gate exists, but the exact site may be seen by the necessary increased width of the bridge.

“The precise spot where each gate stood may be found by tracing a line of the city wall, where it crossed a street; the gates being of course integral portions of the wall perforated for traffic and fortified with extra work for adequate defence.”

The Rev. Francis Blomefield, of Fersfield, who flourished in the first half of the last century, was the chief of Norfolk historians and antiquarians.  He was great in genealogy and heraldry, and very elaborate on monuments and epitaphs, while he altogether passed over more important matters.  We might almost wish that he had known less of heraldry and more of history; but his great work must ever be the foundation of local history in Norwich and Norfolk.  A perfect copy of his work, being very scarce, is now worth at least £20.  It contains most of the documentary antiquities of the city, such as charters, acts of parliaments, proceedings of public bodies, and other official sources of information, of which he has made a good use.  He has given full details from the records of every parish, and of the old corporation.  Hestates the great changes which took place in the city and county at the time of the Reformation, and the dissolution of the monasteries, when nineteen of those institutions existed in Norwich.

Blomefield notices several large conventual churches, which were desecrated at the Reformation, and many parish churches which have been demolished, their parishes being incorporated with those now existing.

All Saints’, situated in Fyebridge Street, was at the north corner of the street called Cowgate, at its entrance into Magdalen Street, and was built before the Conquest.  At the foundation of the cathedral it was appropriated to the convent, and at the Reformation to the dean and chapter.  It was said to have had a very fine font, erected in 1477.  In 1550 the church was taken down, and the parish, with that of St. Margaret, was annexed to St. Paul’s.

St. Bartholomew’s, in Ber Street, was in the patronage of the prior of Wymondham, and at the Dissolution was consolidated with St. John’s Sepulchre, and the church taken down.

St. Bittulph’sstood in Magdalen Street, a little north of Stump Cross.  It was founded before 1300 and was taken down in 1548, and the parish united to St. Saviour’s.

St. Christopher’sstood on the east side of St. Andrew’s Hill, and was one of the oldest churches inthe city.  It was burnt down in the reign of Henry III.  The greater portion of the parish was united to St. Andrew’s and a smaller part to St. Michael’s at Plea.

St. Crucis, or St. Crowches, stood in Broad Street, St. Andrew’s.  It was dedicated to the honour of the holy cross, and was erected before the year 1272.  In 1551 it was desecrated, and the parish united to St. John’s Maddermarket.

St. Clement’s, in Conisford, situated in King Street, was a very ancient church, founded long before the Conquest.  It was united with St. Julian’s in 1482.

St. Cuthbert’swas situated at the north end of King Street, near Tombland.  About 1492 it was united to the church of St. Mary the Less at the monastery gates, and was demolished in 1530.

St. Edward’sstood on the west side of King Street, near St. Etheldred’s church.  About the end of the 13th century it was united to St. Julian’s.  All along King Street there are many vaults and crypts, which seem to have formed the foundations of old churches and monasteries.

St. Faith’sorSt. Vedast’swas situated near the place where Cooke’s hospital now stands, in Rose Lane.  It was founded before the Conquest and was taken down in 1540, the parish being united with that ofSt. Peter per Mountergate.  The latter is a corruption of the old name “Parmenter Gate,” which should be restored by authority.  It was the old Tailor Street.

St. Francis’ belonged to the Grey Friars, whose convent stood near the site of Cooke’s hospital.  It was a noble church, 300 feet in length and 80 feet in breadth, with cloisters and a large chapter house.  At the Dissolution it was, with the convent, granted to the Duke of Norfolk.

St. James’,Carrow, belonged to the nunnery there, and with it became private property at the Dissolution, the parish being united to Lakenham.

St. John’s in Southgatestood at the north corner of Rose Lane, and about 1300 was annexed to St. Peter Parmenter Gate.  The Grey Friars pulled it down and annexed the site of it to their convent.

St. John the Baptist’sstood on the site of the present Octagon chapel.  It was originally a parish church; but when the Dominicans, or Friars’ Preachers, settled here in 1226, it was given to them, and the parish was united to St. George’s at Colegate.  They immediately built a convent in this place and the church was used by them as a chapel, till they removed to their new convent in St. Andrew’s, where they dedicated their church also to St. John the Baptist.  The church is now St. Andrew’s Hall, and the chancel(formerly the Dutch church) is now the place of worship of theFree Christian Church.

St. Margaret’s,in Fyebridge, was a church of ancient foundation, situated on the west side of Magdalen Street, near the gate.  There is no account how long it has been dissolved.  The parish is now united with St. Paul’s.

St. Margaret’s at Newbridge, anciently called St. Margaret’s at Colegate, was situated near Blackfriars’ bridge, on the west side of the street.  The parish was depopulated by the great pestilence, in 1349, when the church ceased to be parochial, and the parish was annexed to that of St. George’s Colegate.  The church occupied the site of Weston’s brewery, now demolished.

St. Martin’sinBallivawas situated near the spot where, until lately, the Golden Ball tavern stood, on the south side of the Castle Hill.  The church was on the right hand of the entrance into Golden Ball Lane.  In 1562, this church was demolished and the parish united to St. Michael’s at Thorn.  Formerly all persons dying in the castle, and all criminals executed, were buried in this churchyard, but this right, after the desecration of the church, was conferred upon St. Michael’s at Thorn.

St. Mary the Virgin’swas situated in Conisford, and belonged to the Augustine Friars, being alsodedicated to St. Augustine.  It was a noble structure, 450 feet long and 90 feet wide, with cloisters on the north and south sides.  After the Dissolution it became private property in 1547, when the church and conventual buildings were demolished.

St. Mary Unbrentstood on the west side of Magdalen Street, near Golden Dog Lane.  The church was demolished at the dissolution, and the parish united to St. Saviour’s.  “Unbrent” means unburnt.  The church was called St. Maryin combusto loco, or in that part of the city burnt in the great fire in the time of William I.  Blomefield thinks that the church was then consumed, and afterwards rebuilt; and that it was erroneously written in ancient documentsuncombusto, instead ofin combusto.

St. Matthew’s, near the palace, was a small church.  The parish has, since the great pestilence of 1349, been united with that of St. Martin’s at Palace.

St. Michael’sin Coslany was sold to the Austin Friars in 1360, and shortly afterwards the parish was united to that of St. Peter Parmenter Gate, when the church was demolished and a cloister erected on its site.

St. Olave’s, or St.Tooley’s, stood on the east side of Tooley Street, next to the corner of Cherry Lane.  It was demolished in 1546, and the parish consolidated with St. George’s Colegate.

St. Catherine’sinNewgatewas situated on St. Catherine’s Hill.  In 1349 the whole parish was almost depopulated by the pestilence, after which the church was deserted and converted into a chapel, the parish being united with that of All Saints.  At the Dissolution the chapel was granted to Sir John Milton, and in 1567 conveyed to the city for the use of St. Giles’ hospital.  Thus a large amount of Church property was applied to secular purposes.

Blomefield gives an account of different chapels dedicated to various purposes, most of which were destroyed at the Dissolution.

St. Catherine’s Chapelstood upon Mousehold, about a mile north-east of the barracks, was founded about the time of the Conquest, and was deemed a parochial chapel while it was standing.  At the Dissolution this chapel was demolished and the parish united with that of St. James.

The Chapel of St. Thomas a Becket, which was not parochial, stood near the same place.  No traces of the building can now be discovered.

The College of St. Mary in the Fields, originally called the Chapel in the Fields (whence the present name of Chapel Field was derived), was a chapel dedicated to Mary the Virgin.  It was foundedabout the year 1250, byJohn Le Brun, as an hospital, but its benefactors were so numerous and munificent that in a very short time it became a noble college, consisting of a dean, chancellor, precentor, treasurer, and seven other prebendaries.  Six chaplains or chantry priests were afterwards added.  The dean was collated by the bishop in right of the see, or by the king during a vacancy.  The premises were very extensive, and were granted at the dissolution to Miles Spencer, LL.D., the last dean.  After passing through many hands the property came into possession of shareholders, who built Assembly Rooms on the site of the college.  Bond Cabbell, Esq. subsequently bought the whole building for a Freemasons’ Hall.

Guildhall Chapeladjoined the south side of the hall, and was dedicated to St. Barbara.  It served as a chapel for the prisoners as well as for the Court to attend divine service when they assembled on public business.  It was pulled down long since, and the present porch was erected on its site.

St. Michael’s Chapel,Tombland, stood on the site of the obelisk, and was one of the most ancient religious buildings in Norwich.  It was founded by the Earl of the East Angles long before the Conquest and prior to the building of the Cathedral; served as a chapel for the use of their palace, which stood facing the south side of the chapel-yard; and occupied the south end of Tombland, from the monastery gate to the chapel ditch.  Bishop Herbert demolished it, andthe whole site was laid open for the improvement of the monastery, and a stone cross was erected on the spot.  Instead of this, the Bishop built another chapel on the summit of the hill outside of Bishopgate, and dedicated it to St. Michael.

St. Nicholas’ Chapel, Bracondale, was situated at the corner of the road now leading to Carrow Bridge.  It was much frequented by fishermen and watermen, who were then numerous, and who made offerings there to St. Nicholas, their patron saint.  It was founded before the Conquest and was parochial; but in the time of Edward II. the parish was returned as belonging to Lakenham, with which it is now united.

St. Olave’s Chapel, near King Street Gates, was a parochial chapel long before the Conquest, and in the reign of Edward III. the parish was united to that of St. Peter Southgate.  The chapel was demolished before 1345.

Mr. Taylor’sIndex Monasticuscontains the fullest account of the old monasteries which, at one period, were very numerous in the city.  Many of them possessed large churches, great wealth, and considerable power.  They comprised Priories, Friaries, and Nunneries, which were situated in or near King Street,or St. Faith’s Lane, or the Cowgate.  Formerly all the west side of the river was called the Cow-holm, where cows fed on the meadows, and Cowgate consisted of open fields.

The Benedictine Priory at the cathedral was founded by Bishop Herbert as already noticed.  The Priory of St. Leonard’s was founded by Bishop Herbert before he built the cathedral, and here he placed the monks while the priory was being built.  It was situated on Mousehold Heath, opposite Bishop’s Bridge, and served as a cell to the cathedral priory till the Dissolution.  At the Dissolution it was granted by Henry VIII. to Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, whose son Henry, Earl of Surrey, erected on its site a splendid house, called Surrey house, which has long since fallen into decay.  St. Michael’s Chapel, built by Bishop Herbert, was near the priory, and served by monks.  It was demolished by the rebel Kett, who, with his followers, encamped near it, so that it has since been called Kett’s Castle.  Near the remains of this chapel, in the valley beneath, was Lollard’s Pit, the spot where many of the early Reformers were burned.

This class of monastic institutions consisted of houses erected for the Friars, of orders grey, or white, or black.  The monasteries were seldom endowed,because the Friars were, by profession, beggars, and lived on what they could get.  They obtained a great deal of money in the ages of superstition.  Many of their buildings were large and stately, and connected with noble churches in which great personages were frequently interred.  Most of the monasteries were houses of refuge for the destitute poor in the middle ages.

The Grey or Franciscan Friarsseem to have been the first who settled here near the site of Cooke’s Hospital about 1226.  This convent was a place of great resort, and the church, as already stated in our notice of the Desecrated Churches, was a large building 300 feet in length, and 80 feet in breadth, with spacious cloisters and conventual buildings; not a stone of which now remains.  One of the cloisters of this convent was called “Pardon Cloister,” on account of the pope granting indulgences to all who were buried there, a source of revenue to the monks.  At the Dissolution the possessions were granted to the Duke of Norfolk.

The White FriarsorCarmeliteshad a flourishing convent near White Friars’ Bridge, which was founded by Philip de Cowgate in 1256.  He assumed the name from his estates, being the principal person in those parts of the city.  The monks were called White Friars from their dress, and Carmelites from the monastery of Mount Carmel in Palestine, the place of their first residence, from which they weredriven by the Saracens about the year 1238, after which they settled in different parts of Europe.  The monastery has been long demolished, and the site built upon.

The Black Friars, sometimes called the Dominican Friars or Friars’ Preachers, settled here about 1226, in the church of St. John the Baptist, which formerly stood in Colegate Street, on the site of the Octagon Chapel.  They afterwards removed into the parish of St. Andrew, where they built a large monastery.  The name of the church is now St. Andrew’s Hall.

Austin Friary.  The possessions of this convent were bounded on the north by St. Faith’s Lane, and extended as far as the river.  At the Dissolution they were granted to Sir Thomas Heneage.

The Friars De Dominaarose in 1288, and in 1290 were introduced here.  They had a house on the south side of St. Julian’s Churchyard, where they continued till the reign of Edward III., when, all the brethren dying of the great pestilence of 1348, their convent became private property.

The Friars of St. Maryoccupied a house situated in the yard of the desecrated church of St. Martin in Balliva, where the Golden Ball Tavern stood.  They joined the order of White Friars.

The Friars De PicaorPied Friars, so calledfrom their black and white garments, lived in a college at the corner of the churchyard of St. Peter Parmentergate.  They joined one of the other orders.

The Friars De Sacco, orBrethrenof theSac, settled here about 1250 in a house opposite to the church of St. Peter’s Hungate.  The whole premises, bounded by Bridge Street on the west, by the river on the north, and by the street leading to Hungate on the south, were settled on them, where they built a church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, on the site of which St. Andrew’s Hall now stands.  The Black Friars were united with them in 1307, when the convent was greatly enlarged, extending to the river on the north side, and to Elm Hill on the east side.

Anunneryformerly existed at Carrow Abbey, dedicated to St. Mary and St. John.  It was founded in the year 1146 by two ladies named Leftelina and Seyna.  It was richly endowed by King Stephen, and consisted of a Prioress and nine Benedictine Nuns, which number was afterwards increased to twelve.  The site within the walls contained about ten acres of land, and the revenues and possessions were great.  At the Dissolution the abbey and lands became private property.

AnchoragesorHermitageswere connected with several of the monastic institutions in the city, and even inhabited by recluses.  Anchorets were a sort ofmonks, so called from their shutting themselves up in anchorages or cells.  Of these there were male and female, the eremite or hermit, who pretended to follow the example of John the Baptist, and the anchoress, who professed to imitate the conduct of Judith.  All these anchorages were abolished at the Dissolution or at the Reformation.

To Archæologists, and particularly to those directing their attention to Monumental Brasses, the following list of Brasses in Norwich and the principal villages in the neighbourhood, may be considered useful.  They are classified under their distinctive characters, namely—1st, Ecclesiastics; 2nd, knights; 3rd, civilians and ladies; 4th, miscellaneous.  The list specifies those consisting of effigies generally perfect, with their inscriptions, unless otherwise mentioned.

An alphabetical list of the churches, with the various brasses in each, is also appended.

1389.

Richardus Thaseburgh, rector of Hellesdon.

Hellesdon.

1437.

Galfridus Langley, installed Prior of Saint Faith the Virgin, at Horsham, 1401.

St. Lawrence.

1450.

John Alnwik, in academic costume.

Surlingham.

1487.

Roger Clarke, priest.

St. Peter at Southgate.

1497.

Walter Goos, priest.

St. Swithin.

1499.

John Smyth, priest—chalice.

St. Giles.

Henry Alikok—chalice.

Colney.

Thome Coke, rector of Bodham—chalice lost, inscription only remaining.

St. Michael at Coslany.

An individual unknown—chalice.

Poringland Magna.

Randulphus Pulvertoft—inscription only.

The Cathedral(Jesus’ Chapel).

1531.

William Richies, vicar of Bawburgh.

Bawburgh.

1545.

Thome Capp, vicar.

St. Stephen.

c1460.

John Toddenham.  A small figure, with scroll from the mouth.

St. John in Maddermarket,Norwich.

1499.

Thome Heveningham, and Anne, his wife.  This is a beautifully executed brass, and is placed under a canopy upon an altar tomb.  He died 1499.  The blank intended for the date of the death of his wife still remains.

Ketteringham.

1559.

John Corbet, and Jane, his wife.  He died 1470.  The blank left for the date of her death still remains.

Sprowston.

1565.

Sir Edward Warner.

Plumstead Parva.

1568.

Sir Peter Rede.  Discovered to be a Palimpsest, in 1851.

St. Peter Mancroft,Norwich.

c1380.

Richard de Heylesdone, and Beatrice, his wife.

Hellesdon.

1384.

John de Heylesdone, and Johanna, his wife.  An inscription only.

Hellesdon.

1412.

Walter Moneslee, and Isabella, his wife.

St. John in Maddermarket.

1432.

Robert Baxter, and Christiana, his wife.

St. Giles.

1435.

Robert Brasyer, and Christiana, his wife.  A celebrated bell-founder.

St. Stephen.

Roberti Brasyer (mutilated).

St. Stephen.

1436.

Richard Purdaunce, and Margaret, his wife.

St. Giles.

1436.

John Asgar, the younger.

St. Lawrence.

c1445.

Alice Thorndon.

Frettenham.

1460.

Thomas Bokenham, and wife.

St. Stephen.

c1460.

A Lady (unknown).

Frettenham.

1470.

Jane Corbet, in Brass, of John Corbet, and Jane, his wife—see “Knights.”

Sprowston.

1475.

William Pepyr, and Joan, his wife.  Inscription and four shields lost

St. John in Maddermarket.

1475.

William Norwiche, and Alicia, his wife.  A Bracket Brass.  Canopy mutilated.

St. George at Colegate.

1495.

John Horslee, and Agnes, his wife.

St. Swithin.

1499.

Anne Heveningham, in Brass, of Thome Heveningham, and Anne, his wife—see “Knights.”

Ketteringham.

A Lady (unknown).  There are two Inscriptions, with a figure of a Child, inserted with this Brass, in the wall of the church, which do not relate to it.

Ketteringham.

1591.

Richard Ferrers, Mayor of Norwich, in the years 1473, 1478, 1483, 1493, 1498.  Merchant’s mark and inscription only remaining.

St. Michael at Coslany.

1502.

Thomas Cook.

St. Gregory.

1503.

Edward Ward.

Bixley.

1505.

William Dussing, and Katherine, his wife.  In winding sheets.

Kirby Bedon.

1505.

Thome Tyard.  In winding sheets.

Bawburgh.

c1510.

Juliane Anyell.

Witton.

1514.

Margaret Pettwode.

St. Clement.

1515.

Henrici Scolows, and Alicia, his wife.  In winding sheets, with four evangelical emblems.

St. Michael at Coslany.

1524.

John Terri, and Lettys, his wife.  An elaborate Brass, with twenty lines of English verse.

St. John in Maddermarket.

c1527.

John Gilbert.  Fragments of canopy and inscription only remaining.

St. Andrew.

1528.

Edwardus Whyte, and Elizabeth, his wife.

Shottisham St. Mary.

c1538.

William Layer, and wife.  Inscription lost.

St. Andrew.

1540.

Nicholas Suttherton.  An inscription and shield.  A palimpsest, now in the church chest, formerly at east end of nave.

St. John in Maddermarket.

1546.

Bel Buttry.

St. Stephen.

1558.

Robarte Rugge, Mayor of Norwich, and Elizabeth, his wife.

St. John in Maddermarket.

1560.

Helen Caus, wife of Thomas Caus, Mayor of Norwich.  This is one of three effigies which represented Thomas Caus, Mayor in 1495 and 1503, and Johanna and Helen, his wives, and is a late example of the pedimental head dress.  The other effigies are lost.

St. John in Maddermarket.

A Mayor of Norwich, and his Wife.  Name and date unknown.  Inscription lost.

St. John in Maddermarket.

1577.

Anne Rede, wife of Sir Peter Rede (whose Brass lies in St. Peter of Mancroft Church).

St. Margaret.

1600.

Mary Bussie.  Lost since 1850; formerly in the church of

St. Peter of Mancroft.

1605.

Mis Anē Claxton; an inscription and shield.

St. Mary at Coslany.

1649.

Clere Talbot, and his Wives.

Dunston.

1818.

Mary Elizabeth, wife of Edward South Thurlow.  A cross, brass, with a border inscription; laid down within the last few years.

The Cathedral(north side of Choir).

1452.

Thomas Childes.  A skeleton figure, inscription lost.

St. Lawrence, Norwich.

An individual unknown.  A heart with three scrolls.

Kirby Bedon.

A small figure in winding sheet; comparatively modern.

Bawburgh.

St. Andrew,Norwich.

John Gilbert

1527

William Layer, and wife

1538

The Cathedral,Jesus’ Chapel,Norwich.

Randulphus Pulvertoft

1499

Mary Elizabeth, wife of Edward South Thurlow

1818

St. Clement,Norwich.

Margaret Pettwode

1514

St. George at Colegate,Norwich.

William Norwiche

1475

St. Giles,Norwich.

Robert Baxter, and Christiana, his wife

1432

Richard Purdaunce, and Margaret, his wife

1436

John Smyth, priest

1499

St. Gregory,Norwich.

Thomas Cok

1502

St. John in Maddermarket.

Walter Moneslee, and Isabella, his wife

1412

John Toddenham

c1460

William Pepyr, and Joan, his wife

1476

A Mayor of Norwich, name unknown

John Terri, and Lettys, his wife

1524

Nicholas Suttherton

1540

Robarte Rugge, and Elizabeth, his wife

1558

Helen Caus

1560

St. Lawrence,Norwich.

John Asgar, the younger

1436

Galfridus Langley

1437

Thomas Childes

1452

St. Margaret,Norwich.

Anne Rede

1577

St. Mary at Coslany,Norwich.

Mis Anē Claxton

1605

St. Michael at Coslany,Norwich.

Richard Ferrers

1501

Henrici Scolows, and Alicia, his wife

1515

Thome Coke

St. Peter of Mancroft,Norwich.

Sir Peter Rede

1568

The Brass of Mary Bussie, date 1600, has been lost since 1850

St. Peter at Southgate,Norwich.

Roger Clarke

1487

St. Stephen,Norwich.

Robert Brasyer, and Christiana, his wife

1435

Thomas Bokenham and wife

1460

Roberti Brasyer

Thome Capp, vicar

1545

Bel Buttry

1546

St. Swithin,Norwich.

John Horslee, and Agnes, his wife

1495

Walter Goos, priest

1497

Bawburgh.

Thome Tyard

1505

William Richies—chalice

1531

A small figure, in winding sheet

Bixley.

Edward Ward

1503

Colney.

Henry Alikok

Dunston.

Clare Talbot, and his wives

1649

Frettenham.

Alice Thorndon

c1445

Lady (unknown)

c1460

Hellesdon.

Richard de Heylesdone, and Beatrice, his wife

1380

John de Heylesdone, and Johanna, his wife

1384

Richardus Thaseburgh

1389

Ketteringham.

Thome Heveningham, and Anne, his wife

1499

Lady (unknown)

Kirby Bedon.

William Dussing, and Katherine, his wife

1505

An individual unknown.  A heart with three scrolls

Plumstead Parva.

Sir Edward Warner

1565

Poringland Magna.

An individual unknown—chalice

Shottisham St. Mary.

Edwardus Whyte, and Elizabeth, his wife

1528

Surlingham.

John Alnwick

1450

Sprowston.

John Corbet, and Jane, his wife

1470

Witton.

Juliana Anyell

c1505

Norwichis very remarkable for its antiquities, its historical associations, its manufactures, and its trade; and also for the eminent men who have flourished at various periods in the city.  It was the scene of many important events in the times of the Iceni, the Romans, the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, and Normans.  It was the royal seat of Anglo-Saxon princes.  It was the Hierapolis Monachopolis of the middle ages; famous for its churches and convents; and in later times, celebrated for its Norman castle and cathedral.

The first foundations of history are very often mere traditions, which are transmitted from parents to their children, from one generation to another.  Probable only in their origin, they become less probable in every succeeding age.  In process of time fable gains and truth loses ground.  Hence it is almost impossible to ascertain the origin of any place claiming a highantiquity.  The early writers could not divest their minds of the fascinating fables of Geoffrey of Monmouth.  In former times, when the power of imagination prevailed, the distinction between legend and history was scarcely recognised.  For centuries there are not even legendary accounts of East Anglia or of its capital.  But instead of legends, there are permanent memorials of the past; great earthworks, fortifications, camps, strongholds, buildings, churches, ruins of monasteries and abbeys.  The soil has yielded up relics of the dead—weapons, utensils, coins, ornaments, and sepulchral urns, showing the presence of the Iceni, the Romans, the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, and Normans, at different periods.  All these energetic nations were concerned in events that took place in Norfolk and Norwich.

The Iceni appear to have been politically independent up to the period of the Roman invasion,B.C.55.  Their alarm in consequence of that invasion led them to negociate an alliance, but we have no reason to suppose that it was ever carried into effect.  They took the lead in a rebellion which the Roman General Ostorius was barely able to quell; and Roman historians bear testimony to the valour with which they struggled to maintain their liberty.  The superior discipline of the Roman soldiers enabled them, however, to triumph over a semi-barbarous people, unprotected by body armour and unused to military tactics; but it was no easy victory.  For about 600 years after the defeat of the Iceni, no reliable information respecting that people is to be found in any history.Indeed they disappear from history altogether, and we can only infer what advances they made in civilization from the scattered remains that have been found in the eastern counties.  These remains prove that the Iceni were not semi-savages, but that they had made some progress in useful arts, that they built houses, and wore woven garments.

There are no remains in the eastern counties of cairns, cromlechs, Druidical circles, or other memorials of ancient perseverance and mechanical skill, nature having interposed an absolute veto.  But there are remains of earth works and tumuli, burrows or artificial mounds in which were deposited the urns or ashes of the dead.  There are thousands of pits in many places, and these are supposed to have been the foundations of Icenian houses.  Remarkable excavations are thickly clustered all over Weybourne Heath, varying from 8 to 20 feet in diameter, and from 2 to 6 feet in depth.

The Norwich Museum contains some remains of articles made by the Iceni, amongst which may be mentioned sepulchral urns, varying from the most primitive simplicity, up to forms and patterns worthy of any age.  Thechevronornament, which is by far the most usual style of decoration, has been traced not merely in India, Egypt, Etruria, and Nineveh, as well as in Saxon and Norman work, but even among the works of ancient American settlers in Yucatan!  The Museum also contains specimens of Icenic Celts or javelin heads, made of flints, which appear to have been originally fitted on a wooden shaft or handle, with aprovision for drawing it back after the infliction of the wound, by means of a cord passing through the ring, as in the metal specimens.  It is probable that these flint specimens were in use long anterior to the Roman invasion.

About 1844 or 1845, some discoveries were made in Norfolk of gold torques and coins of the Iceni.  In March 1855, at Weston in Norfolk, 300 coins of the Iceni were found.  The most ordinary type is the rude representation of a horse on each side; others have two crescents placed back to back; and on some (in about the proportion of one in twenty,) is a rude profile of a human head, while in a few instances there is a figure of a wild boar.  Beneath the horse in some cases are the letters E C E or E C N, (supposed to be a contraction of Iceni,) also C E A, T, A T D, A T E D, or A N T D, which antiquarians are as yet unable to explain.  Probably all the coins, like a single coin which has been found of Boadicea, the unfortunate Queen of the Iceni, were subsequent to the Roman invasion, for Cæsar expressly tells us that the Britons in his time used metal rings instead of money, the value being determined by their weight; and Camden, with great probability, supposes that most of the British coins must have been struck as a sort of poll tax or tribute money to the Romans.

Generally speaking, the antiquities of the British period are articles of the most urgent necessity, and of the rudest possible form; but a long interval of tranquillity brought even luxuries in its train, and it is a very remarkable fact that even the lapse of 1800 yearshas scarcely effected any change in some articles of general utility.  The discoveries made at Herculaneum and Pompeii have led to a revival of the classical forms, both in porcelain and in plate, the greatest practical compliment that could be paid to the taste of the Roman artists.

Among the objects which have been found at different places may be mentioned sepulchral vases, varying, of course, in style and taste, but in some instances most beautifully formed; funeral lamps, lacrymatories, (or phials supposed to have contained the tears of the sorrowing relations,)fibulæ(or brooches), gold rings, gold seals, steelyards, weights, tweezers, a curiously formed brass lamp for three lights, a patera of Samian ware, and coins of the Roman emperors.  All these may be seen in the Norwich Museum.

There is no evidence of the existence of Norwich as a city for 400 years after the Christian era.  The whole island was a howling wilderness, and Norfolk was a vast common, like Roudham Heath.  The natives lived by hunting or fishing, and sheltered themselves in the woods, or in caves, or huts.  Water covered nearly all the area in which the city is now built, and filled all the valley of the Yare.  The aborigines, called the Iceni, probably lived in huts near the banks of the river, as it afforded a good supply of fish; but there is no proof that they lived in any place that could be called a town or even a village.  There is in fact, no reliable account whatever of the natives, how they lived, or where theylived in this district; for they have not even left any names of places, and very few traces of any progress in the useful arts, and certainly none of any buildings.  On Mousehold Heath, near the city, and at various places in the county, there are hollows supposed to have been made by the Iceni as the foundation of huts, or of houses of wicker work, or some other perishable material, with a conical thatching at the top.  Externally they must have looked like very low bastions, having doorways, but apparently neither chimneys nor windows.


Back to IndexNext