Burial Ground.
Exterior north, east, and south.
A finer association of beautiful and mournful objects could not well be imagined than is here presented to us. The most graceful trees, arranged in delightful groups, hang over the decayed tombs, which are carpeted to their base by a green sward, covered with flowers. As we pass along, we get a view of the deanery, and at the end of the eastern part of the church we see Tout Hill with the Training College for schoolmasters on the left, and the pretty villa in the vineyard, with a splendid avenue of old elm trees leading to it by a broad gravel walk. We pass likewise the large painted window, and as we turn the eastern end of the building, we catch a glimpse of the ruins of the infirmary and great hall, with their magnificent arches and ivy clad columns. Proceeding round to the southern side of the cathedral, we enter the square, where are the ruins of the cloisters, through a fine old door-way with a pointed arch, surmounting others of a circular form, and enriched with sculptural mouldings and figures. The southern and western walls of the cloisters remain, and contain a singular variety of tracery, mouldings, columns, and door-ways. Two door-ways to the southern aisles of the nave are also seen in the cloisters—one having a semicircular arch, with archivolt mouldings, enriched with the chevron and other Norman ornaments; the other in the pointed or gothic style, with raised mouldings, and supported by slender shafts at the sides.[29]At the southern extremity of the cloisters is another door-way of the same style and character as that by which we entered them, which leads through the bishop's garden to the palace.[30]Passing along the western wall of the cloisters we go through a plain Norman door-way, which brings us again, by a narrow passage, to the west front of the cathedral.
The Dimensions
Of the several parts of the Cathedral are as follows:—
The breadth of the west front, measuring from corner to corner on the outside of it, is 156 feet.
The length of the whole cathedral, measured on the outside of it, is 471 feet. In this measurement are included the most prominent buttresses at the west and east ends.
The distance from the inside of the west door of the cathedral to the organ screen at the entrance into the choir is 267 feet.
From the organ screen to the altar screen, 117 feet.
From the altar table to the east window 38 feet. So that the distance from the west door to the east window is 422 feet.
The length of the two cross aisles or transepts within, including the diameter of the lantern, 180 feet.
The breadth of the nave within, measuring from the south wall to the north wall, is 78 feet; that is half the breadth of the west front.
From the floor of the nave to its painted wooden roof is a height of 81 feet.
The height of the lantern within the church is 135 feet. The whole height of it without is 150 feet.
The height of each gothic arch at the west front of the cathedral is 82 feet.
The distance from the ground to the top of each pinnacle at the corners of the west front is 156 feet; that is, the same with the breadth of the front.
The Interior of the Building
is grand beyond conception. The northern and southern aisles are formed by massive ranges of pillars, supporting vast arches of singular simplicity and beauty. The great pictured roof or ceiling in the nave of the church, is a curious specimen of fanciful ingenuity. The divisions are of a diagonal form filled with various devices, some representing kings and queens or early patrons and founders of the monastery: others being of an hieroglyphical character.
"The nave and its aisles," says Mr. Britton, [page 70] "display a uniform style of architecture in their arches, piers, triforia, and walls; but the windows of the clerestory, triforia, and aisles are all of a later date, and are evident insertions in the original walls,—excepting indeed the exterior walls of the triforium, which appear to have been raised, and a new roof formed when some great alterations were made to the church. On the eastern side of the transept is an aisle, the southern division of which is separated into three chapels, or oratories, as they were originally appropriated, but now used as appendages to the choir. Over this aisle is a triforium, behind an arched screen, which extends along the aisles of the choir to their junction with the new work."
The lantern is another remarkable feature in this building. It "is open to the vaulted roof," and is a fearful height to contemplate.
The choir is nearly of the same kind of architecture as the transept. Its vaulted roof is boarded, but assumes an imitation of the florid pointed style,—being disposed in several compartments by thin ribs. Over the altar end it is painted with an emblematical representation of Christ as a vine, and his disciples the branches. The remaining portion of the roof, which had been painted white and yellow, has also been recently restored to its original character, the bosses being gilt and the spandrils painted bright blue and richly ornamented.
Until the year 1827, the choir of this cathedral was composed of deal painted to resemble oak, and "although in good repair," was generally allowed to be "unworthy of the magnificent structure to which it belonged." At the suggestion, and under the immediate patronage of the then dean and chapter, a subscription was entered into for the purpose of erecting a new choir and organ screen; and the sum of £5021 11s. 0d. was shortly obtained towards that object. The architect employed was the celebrated Mr. Blore, who, assisted by Mr. Ruddle, of Peterborough, completed the work in 1830.
The organ screen is composed of clunch stone, and is decorated with spiral turrets, having a number of gaudily painted shields in the spandrils, which, together with the rainbow hues of the organ pipes, give it an appearance rather offensive to modern taste, although strictly in accordance with the rest of the work, which is in the style of the 1st and 3rd Edward.
On the right of the entrance to the choir is a brass plate with the following inscription:—
thisORGAN SCREENwith theCHOIR AND ALTAR SCREEN,was erected a.d. mdcccxxx.by subscriptionfrom the members of this cathedral church,the inhabitants of thecity and neighbourhood of peterborough,andother admirers of ecclesiastical architecture,under the auspices ofTHE VERY REV. JAMES HENRY MONK, D.D.,dean.
The New Pulpit,
erected to the memory of the Rev. John James, D.D., for 40 years Canon of the Cathedral, has a most massive appearance. The principal material used in its construction is Dumfries stone, with pillars of Devonshire and Greek marble. The body rests on a centre marble base, with corner pillars of Greek marble. At each corner of the pulpit stand figures of the four evangelists. The three panels are richly carved, and in the centres are cut the figure of a lamb, a Norman cross, and the letters I.H.S. Greek marble has been employed as pillars for the stair rails, along which and around the upper part of the pulpit is Devonshire marble. The following inscription inlaid with gold is cut in the Greek marble bordering:—"In Memoriam. Johannes James, S.T.P., hujus Ecclesiæ Cathedralis XL.; Anno Canonici P.C. Filii Superstites A.D.mdccclxxiii, O.B.xvDec.mdccclxviii." The arms of the See and the Dean and Chapter are cut in the stone body. The architect was Mr. Barry, of London, and the work was executed by Messrs. Field, Poole, and Sons, Westminster.
Monuments.
There are very few ancient monuments remaining in this cathedral, the greater portion having been destroyed by Cromwell's soldiers. A brazen eagle, or lectern, in the centre aisle of the choir, from which the daily lessons are read; an ancient stone at the east end of the building, till lately supposed to be commemorative of the murder of eighty-four monks by the Danes, in 870;[31]and a picture of old Scarlet, who died in 1594, aged 98, are the principal objects of interest.
Turning to the left, as you enter the west door of the cathedral, hangs the portrait of this celebrated character, who buried within the walls of the cathedral, Catherine of Arragon, who died at Kimbolton Castle, in 1536; and Mary Queen of Scots, who was executed at Fotheringhay Castle fifty-one years afterwards. The accompanying engraving is a representation of the old sexton, with his spade, pickaxe, and other emblems of office.
In the south-west or opposite corner of the nave, is anancient font, originally composed of native marble, obtained from the quarries at Alwalton.[32]The basin of this font was, for many years, in one of the prebendal gardens, where it was placed upon the base of an old Norman pillar, and used for holding flowers, but was removed by Dr. Monk, when dean of Peterborough, to the chapterhouse. The celebrated statuary, Mr. Gresley, of Oxford, put it upon its present pediments, which are composed of Purbeck marble, and it was then placed where it now stands. It is considered a very fine piece of workmanship.
Man standing next to a table and holding a shovelYOV SEE OLD SCARLEITS PICTVRE STAND ON HIE BVT AT YOVR FEETE THERE DOTH HIS BODY LYE HIS GRAVESTONE DOTH HIS AGE AND DEATH TIME SHOW HIS OFFICE BY THEIS TOKENS YOV MAY KNOW SECOND TO NONE FOR STRENGTH AND STVRDYE LIMM A SCAREBABE MIGHTY VOICE WITH VISAGE GRIM HEE HAD INTERD TWO QVEENES WITHIN THIS PLACE AND THIS TOWNES HOVSE HOLDERS IN HIS LIVES SPACE TWICE OVER: BVT AT LENGTH HIS OWN TVRN CAME WHAT HEE FOR OTHERS DID FOR HIM THE SAME WAS DONE: NO DOVBT HIS SOVL DOTH LIVE FOR AYE IN HEAVEN: THO HERE HIS BODY CLAD IN CLAY.
YOV SEE OLD SCARLEITS PICTVRE STAND ON HIE BVT AT YOVR FEETE THERE DOTH HIS BODY LYE HIS GRAVESTONE DOTH HIS AGE AND DEATH TIME SHOW HIS OFFICE BY THEIS TOKENS YOV MAY KNOW SECOND TO NONE FOR STRENGTH AND STVRDYE LIMM A SCAREBABE MIGHTY VOICE WITH VISAGE GRIM HEE HAD INTERD TWO QVEENES WITHIN THIS PLACE AND THIS TOWNES HOVSE HOLDERS IN HIS LIVES SPACE TWICE OVER: BVT AT LENGTH HIS OWN TVRN CAME WHAT HEE FOR OTHERS DID FOR HIM THE SAME WAS DONE: NO DOVBT HIS SOVL DOTH LIVE FOR AYE IN HEAVEN: THO HERE HIS BODY CLAD IN CLAY.
As you enter the south aisle of the choir, upon the wall is a neat marble tablet to theRev. Dr. William Parker, who died October 3rd, 1730.
Next, in a recess, is a tablet to abbotAndreas, and two of his predecessors, with the following Latin inscription:—
"Hos tres abbates quibus est prior abba IohannesAlter Martinus, Andreas ultimus unusHic claudit tumulus; pro clausis ergo rogemus."
"Hos tres abbates quibus est prior abba IohannesAlter Martinus, Andreas ultimus unusHic claudit tumulus; pro clausis ergo rogemus."
"Hos tres abbates quibus est prior abba Iohannes
Alter Martinus, Andreas ultimus unus
Hic claudit tumulus; pro clausis ergo rogemus."
The following is a free translation of the above:—
"These three abbots, of whom the first is abbot John,The other Martin, the last Andrew,This one tomb shuts up [incloses]; therefore for those shut up, let us pray."
"These three abbots, of whom the first is abbot John,The other Martin, the last Andrew,This one tomb shuts up [incloses]; therefore for those shut up, let us pray."
"These three abbots, of whom the first is abbot John,
The other Martin, the last Andrew,
This one tomb shuts up [incloses]; therefore for those shut up, let us pray."
Above this is a small tablet to the memory ofMary, the wife of theRev. Payne Edmunds.
Next, is a marble tablet toRobert Pemberton, who was a magistrate of this city, and steward to the Rev. the Dean and Chapter. He died in 1695, in the 75th year of his age.
Near these, removed from the old chapter-house, founded by king Peada, are the statues ofthree other abbots, whose names are unknown.
Adjoining, is an effigy ofAbbot Alexander, whose body, with his boots and crosier, were found by some workmen when making a foundation for the new choir in 1830, as related at page 15 of this work.
Opposite to this, is a black marble slab, beneath which the body ofMary, Queen of Scots, was at first deposited, and remained for twenty-five years, when it was disinterred and removed to Westminster Abbey, by order of her son, king James the 1st. Hanging near it is the original letter of the king ordering the removal. See note on page 29.
At the end of this aisle are two handsome compartments; the left hand, to the memory ofJoseph Stamford, who died in 1683; and the right hand, toThomas Whitwell, who died at Wisbech in 1759.
Above that ofJoseph Stamford, is a tablet toFrancis Lockier, who died 1740; and below, a small tablet toJohn Speechley, for 33 years organist of the cathedral.
We now enter the building known by the name of
The New Building.
"The whole appearance of the interior of this beautiful building is grand and imposing in the extreme; its roof, which is composed of the elaborate fan vaulting, for which the Perpendicular style is so famous, rises from slender shafts, and is ornamented with large and handsome bosses, upon each of which is carved a shield, with armorial bearings. In these respects, as well as in the general aspect of its details, this building so nearly resembles the noble chapel of King's College, Cambridge, as to warrant the supposition that they were both erected from the designs of one architect. The New Building is lighted by thirteen very fine windows, two of which are filled with modern painted glass. The space below the windows is occupied by a rich cornice, an elegant arcade, and a stone seat. Here is to be seen a monument, till lately supposed to be that of abbot Hedda and his monks, whose massacre by the Danes was spoken of in the first chapter of this work, which is considered to be one of the oldest christian monuments now extant in England." See note on page 4.
At the south end of this building, are the remains of a beautiful marble monument, erected by Sir Humphrey Orme, the destruction of which is recorded at page 34 of this work.
By the side of this monument are two tablets, one in memory ofArchdeacon Davys, his wifeSelina, and their sonJohn William Owen; underneath which is a black tablet, surmounted by a shield, bearing a coat of arms, with a mitre, in memory ofFrancis Jeune, D.C.L., twenty-fifth bishop of Peterborough, who died in 1868.
On the south-east side of the altar, is a very stately and handsome marble monument of the Corinthian order; on which is a portraiture of the gentleman for whom it was erected, lying on his left side, and leaning on a cushion, with his hand upon a scull; above which statue is this inscription—
"Sacred to the memory ofThomas Deacon, Esq., a native of this city; sometime high sheriff of this county: a person eminent for his morality and good life; a true son of the established church: a constant attendant on her worship and service: his piety consisted not in empty profession, but in sincerity and unaffected truth. He had an ample estate, which he fairly acquired, and increased by an honest industry, and managed with excellent prudence, and disposed of to laudable purposes. His charity (even in the time of his life) was very large, extensive, and exemplary; of which he has left a lasting monument in this city, by founding a charity school, and endowing it with a freehold estate, of above one hundred and sixty pounds per annum: And also, by settling another estate of twenty-five pounds per annum, for a constant annual distribution of alms to poor ancient inhabitants of this city. Having thus laid up in store to himself a good foundation against the time to come, he quietly departed this life, on the 19th day of August, 1721, aged 70 years."To whose memory as an instance of her conjugal affection, Mary, his sorrowful relict, caused this monument to be erected."
"Sacred to the memory ofThomas Deacon, Esq., a native of this city; sometime high sheriff of this county: a person eminent for his morality and good life; a true son of the established church: a constant attendant on her worship and service: his piety consisted not in empty profession, but in sincerity and unaffected truth. He had an ample estate, which he fairly acquired, and increased by an honest industry, and managed with excellent prudence, and disposed of to laudable purposes. His charity (even in the time of his life) was very large, extensive, and exemplary; of which he has left a lasting monument in this city, by founding a charity school, and endowing it with a freehold estate, of above one hundred and sixty pounds per annum: And also, by settling another estate of twenty-five pounds per annum, for a constant annual distribution of alms to poor ancient inhabitants of this city. Having thus laid up in store to himself a good foundation against the time to come, he quietly departed this life, on the 19th day of August, 1721, aged 70 years.
"To whose memory as an instance of her conjugal affection, Mary, his sorrowful relict, caused this monument to be erected."
Beneath his effigy, and upon the front of the tomb, is the following inscription—
"In memory ofMary, the relict of Thomas Deacon, Esq.; daughter of John Harvey, of Spalding, gent. To which place she was a kind generous benefactor, and bestowed upwards of £400 in pious and useful charities. She gave also to Fleet £250, for founding a charity school in that parish. To the poor of this city, she extended her daily bounty, so private as not to be told; so large as not to be equalled; to which she added several public benefactions, and gave towards augmenting the vicarage of St. John Baptist £100; and likewise £100 to the salary of the grammar school; she died January 27th, 1730, aged 77 years."
"In memory ofMary, the relict of Thomas Deacon, Esq.; daughter of John Harvey, of Spalding, gent. To which place she was a kind generous benefactor, and bestowed upwards of £400 in pious and useful charities. She gave also to Fleet £250, for founding a charity school in that parish. To the poor of this city, she extended her daily bounty, so private as not to be told; so large as not to be equalled; to which she added several public benefactions, and gave towards augmenting the vicarage of St. John Baptist £100; and likewise £100 to the salary of the grammar school; she died January 27th, 1730, aged 77 years."
In a recess adjoining this monument, is a neat tablet to the memory ofMary, the mother of the Rev. J. S. Pratt, formerly a prebendary of this cathedral, and vicar of the parish of St. John the Baptist, Peterborough.
Underneath this, a handsome tablet to the lateWilliam Strong, D.D., forty-five years archdeacon of this diocese, and for nearly half a century a magistrate for the Liberty of Peterborough.
Near the last monument, behind the altar screen, are interred the remains of six bishops, viz.:—Cumberland,Kennett,Hinchcliffe,Madan,Marsh and Davys; tablets to the four latter, are in the recess opposite the large painted window.
Beneath these, is an effigy, supposed to be that ofAbbot William de Hotot, who died in 1250.
On the north-east side of the altar, is a very handsome marble monument toBishop Cumberland, great grandfather to the celebrated dramatist of that name.
Beneath this, is a neat tablet toJoseph Parsons, formerly a prebendary of this cathedral, andLetitia, his wife; near which, is a monument erected to his intimate friendWilliam Tournay, D.D., also a prebendary of this cathedral, and of St. Peter's, Westminster, and for twenty-five years warden of Wadham College, Oxford, &c.
Adjoining, are the remains of an ancient shrine, supposed to be that ofSt. Ibba.
Above this is a marble tablet toLouisa Cole, of the Vineyard.
On leaving the Lady Chapel, in the north aisle of the choir, is a splendid monument toRichard Trice, beneath which is a handsome doublepiscina.
Opposite to this, a small marble monument toFrances, wife ofDean Cosin, who died March 25th, 1642; above which is an epitaph toDorothy, the wife ofFrancis Standish, formerly precentor of this cathedral, who died in 1689.
Opposite, is another plain black marble slab, similar to that in the south aisle, with a small brass inscription which marks the grave ofCatherine of Arragon.
On the north wall of the side aisle is a monument by the celebrated Gibbons, with the following inscription—
"Sacred to the memory ofConstance, daughter ofJohn May, of Rawmeare, in Sussex, Esquire; and ofConstance, his wife, one of the daughters and co-heiress ofThomas Panton, of Westminster, knight and baronet, and wife ofJohn Workman, prebendary of this church, who, having by all christian virtues and good qualities, been an ornament to her worthy family, and an honour to all her relations in her life, resigned up her soul to God with admirable patience at her death; she deceased in childbed at London; and, together with her infant son, she was according to her desire, here interred, where she had frequently worshipped God, in hope of a joyful resurrection, September 30th, A.D. 1681."
"Sacred to the memory ofConstance, daughter ofJohn May, of Rawmeare, in Sussex, Esquire; and ofConstance, his wife, one of the daughters and co-heiress ofThomas Panton, of Westminster, knight and baronet, and wife ofJohn Workman, prebendary of this church, who, having by all christian virtues and good qualities, been an ornament to her worthy family, and an honour to all her relations in her life, resigned up her soul to God with admirable patience at her death; she deceased in childbed at London; and, together with her infant son, she was according to her desire, here interred, where she had frequently worshipped God, in hope of a joyful resurrection, September 30th, A.D. 1681."
Next, is a tablet toJames Duport, formerly dean of this cathedral, chaplain to Charles II., and professor of Greek at Trinity College, Cambridge.
Adjoining, is another tablet to the memory of theRev. John Workman, M.A., formerly a prebendary of this cathedral, and rector of Peakirk, &c.
Next, is a tablet toWilliam Rowles, of Washingley, andAnn Wilkinson, his daughter.
The next is to theRev. William Gery, also a prebendary of this cathedral, and Susannah, his wife, who lived together 47 years. This is a very handsome tablet.
The last is a handsome tablet to theRev. William Waring, A.M., formerly master of the grammar school, who died 1726, aged 66.
In a small chapel, known as the Morning Chapel, dedicated to St. John and St. James, is someancient tapestry; one piece representing St. Peter and St. John healing the lame man at the beautiful gate of the temple; the other representing St. Peter's deliverance from prison. In the north-east corner is a tablet to theRev. John Stevens, A.M., rector of Folksworth, Hunts.; and in the centre of the east wall is a stained glass window, representing four scenes from the life of our Lord. Here also are the remains of the woodwork of theold choir, which have been converted into seats, and will serve to show to the curious its former character and style.
The Organ,
which is placed above the screen, dividing the nave from the choir, is a very fine toned instrument, and was built in 1809, by the late Mr. Allen, of Sutton Street, Soho. It has within the last few years been much improved and enlarged. It contains forty-eight stops, viz.:—twelve in the great organ, twelve in the swell, ten in the choir, eight in the pedal organ, and six couplers. These improvements were made by H. P. Gates, Esq., of the Vineyard, and are commemorated by a brass plate on the south side of the organ, inscribed as follows: "To the praise and glory of God and memory of John and Frances Gates, this organ was re-built and enlarged at the charge of Henry Pearson Gates, their son, Anno Domini 1871." The case of the instrument, which is of carved oak, presents towards the nave, a front in the early English style, while on the side looking into the choir, the fronts are decorated, to harmonize with the interior fittings.
The Choir.
As we enter the choir, the bishop's throne, with the stalls, pulpit, pews, and altar screen burst upon us, all of which are beautifully carved. The altar screen is composed of a soft white stone, found near Cambridge; the rest that we have mentioned, is oak, very finely carved in the decorated style of architecture. The bishop's throne especially, with its ogee canopies, and elegant and almost fairy-like spire, rivets the eye of the spectator. Thecoup d'œilof the choir is so strikingly beautiful, from the good arrangement and entire keeping of the whole, that it can scarcely be surpassed.
At the east end, immediately under the large window, are three tablets with the names of all the Abbots, Bishops, and Deans from the foundation of the monastery to the present time, of which the following is a copy:—
List of the Abbots of the Cathedral,With the date of their appointment.
Iohn Chambers was the last Abbot and the first Bishop.
List of the Bishops of Peterborough,With the date of their appointment.
Bishop Davys was advanced to this see in 1839. He was formerly a fellow of Christ's Church College, Cambridge, and took a wrangler's degree in 1803. He subsequently became curate of Littlebury, and in 1814 of Chesterford; this latter curacy he held until Dr. Bloomfield, the late bishop of London, was presented to that living, when Mr. Davys became curate of Swaffham Prior; he afterwards removed to Kensington, and was appointed tutor to the Princess Victoria. Shortly after this he was presented to the rectory of All-Hallows, London, and in 1831 to the deanery of Chester, on which occasion he took the degree of doctor of divinity. He discharged his episcopal duties for a period of about twenty-five years in such a manner as to gain universal esteem; and died at Peterborough, after a short illness, in the 84th year of his age, on the 18th April, 1864.
The Rev. Dr. Francis Jeune, who was appointed to the Bishopric in the room of Dr. Davys, was educated at Pembroke College, Oxford, were he graduated in 1827, when he took a first-class in classics. In 1832 he was admitted into Holy Orders by Dr. Bagot, Bishop of Oxford, being then tutor of his College. In 1834 he was elected to the Head Mastership of King Edward's School, Birmingham, and held that appointment until 1838, when he was nominated to the Deanery of Jersey, and the Rectory of St. Heliers. In 1843 he was elected to the Mastership of Pembroke College, with a canonry at Gloucester annexed, and almost immediately afterwards he was presented by the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester to the Rectory of Taynton. In 1850 he was appointed one of Her Majesty's Commissioners of Inquiry for the University of Oxford, and in 1859 was elected Vice-Chancellor of the University. About three months previous to his promotion to this Bishopric, Dr. Jeune was made Dean of Lincoln, in the room of the Rev. Thomas Garnier. Dr. Jeune lived only four years after his appointment to the see. Suffering from an internal disease he went to Whitby for change of air, where he died on the 21st of August, 1868, after a short and painful illness, and was succeeded by the Rev. W. Connor Magee.
Bishop Magee was born at Cork in the year 1821, his father at that time holding a cure in that city before being presented to the living of St. Peter's, Drogheda, in 1829. His grandfather filled the Metropolitan see of Dublin previous to Archbishop Whately. The future bishop of Peterborough received his earliest education at Kilkenny, from which place, at the age of thirteen, he was removed to Trinity College, Dublin. Here he obtained a scholarship in 1838, and Archbishop King's Divinity prize. He graduated A.B. in 1842, A.M. and B.D. in 1854, and D.D. in 1860. In 1844 Mr. Magee received deacon's orders at the hands of the Bishop of Chester, and in the following year was ordained priest by the Bishop of Tuam. His first curacy was that of St. Thomas, Dublin, which he was obliged to resign through ill health, and after a two years' residence abroad he accepted a curacy at St. Saviour's, Bath, in 1848. Two years later he was appointed to the joint incumbency of the Octagon Chapel, Bath. During his residence in Bath, Mr. Magee published two volumes of sermons. In 1859 he was nominated an Hon. Canon of Wells Cathedral, and received the degree of D.D. from his University; and on the resignation of Dr. Goulburn, minister of Quebec Chapel, Portman Square, London, Canon Magee was appointed to the vacant post. In 1860 he was transferred to the precentorship of Clogher in conjunction with the rectory of Enniskillen; in 1864, on the death of Dr. Newman, he was installed Dean of Cork; and in 1866 was appointed Dean of the Chapel Royal, Dublin. He was enthroned as Bishop of Peterborough shortly after the death of Bishop Jeune in 1868, receiving his appointment from the Conservative Prime Minister, Mr. Disraeli.
List of the Deans of Peterborough,With the date of their appointment.
The present Dean of Peterborough, The Very Rev. John James Stewart Perowne, D.D., was born about the year 1823, and married in 1862 Anna Maria, third daughter of the late Humphry William Woolrych, Esq., Serjeant-at-Law, of Croxley, Hertfordshire. His family is of French (Huguenot) extraction, which came over to this country at the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. He was appointed to the Deanery in August, 1878. He was educated at Norwich Grammar School and at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, of which College he became a Fellow. He was a Bell's University Scholar in 1842, took the Members' Prize for a Latin Essay on three different occasions, viz., 1844, 1846, and 1847, and graduated B.A. in 1845, in which year he was also Crosse Scholar, and in 1848 he proceeded M.A. and was Tyrwhitt's Hebrew Scholar. Eight years afterwards he took the degree of B.D., having in the meantime been ordained deacon in 1847 and priest in the same year that he took his master's degree. In 1855 he was appointed examining chaplain to the Bishop of Norwich, and was made prebendary of S. Andrew's and canon of Llandaff cathedral in 1869. In 1872 he became prælector in Theology of Trinity College, Cambridge, and in 1873 took his degree of D.D., and became Fellow of Trinity College. In 1875 Her Majesty was pleased to graciously appoint him one of her hon. chaplains, and in the same year he was appointed Hulsean Professor of Divinity. In 1851 and 1852 he was examiner for the Classical Tripos at Cambridge, and select preacher before the University on several different occasions. For 10 years he held the vice-principalship of St. David's College, Lampeter, which appointment he resigned in 1872. Before this, he had been Lecturer in Divinity at King's College, London, and assistant preacher at Lincoln's Inn. In 1868 he was Hulsean Lecturer, and Lady Margaret's Preacher in 1874-5. From 1867 to 1872 he was third cursal prebendary of S. David's Cathedral. From 1874 to 1876 he was one of the Whitehall preachers. The Dean is the author of "The Book of Psalms, a New Translation with Notes, Critical and Exegetical;" Hulsean Lectures on "Immortality"; a volume of Sermons; occasional Sermons; Articles in Dr. Smith's Dictionary of the Bible;Contemporary Review; Good Words, &c.And he is a member of the Company engaged on the revision of the Old Testament.