Chapter X.

HECTOR CHRISTIE, Chairman of the Governors.HECTOR CHRISTIE,Chairman of the Governors.

HECTOR CHRISTIE,Chairman of the Governors.

HECTOR CHRISTIE,

Chairman of the Governors.

In 1861 it was decided to purchase for the School a clock not exceeding the value of £5 and also to erect a shed in the Schoolyard. It was to be used as a playing and drilling place for the boys in wet weather, but as the estimated cost of it was £80 the Governors refrained from carrying the matter further until July, 1862. In that year some members of a committee, who had been appointed many years earlier to promote the decoration in the re-building of the School reported that they had £66 3s.9d.in hand. This they offered to the Governors to assist them in the building of the shed in an ornamental style. In 1864 it was suggested that the Building Committee should report on the additional cost, for which the shed then in course of erection could be converted into Fives Courts. In 1865 Mrs. Kempson, of Holywell Toft offered £150 as a prize, to be called "The Ingram Prize," in memory of her father, the Rev. Rowland Ingram, sometime Headmaster. Five years previously the Pupils Prize and the Howson Prize had been suspended, but Mrs. Kempson's offer was gratefully accepted. She wished it to take the form, if possible, of a Bible with references.

The Usher had already absented himself for one term in order that he might undertake workat Cirencester, but he found it uncongenial and returned to Giggleswick. In June, 1864, he definitely resigned. The Governors at once requested permission from the Charity Commissioners to suspend for six months the post of Usher and to appoint a temporary Assistant to take the work. It was inconvenient to have the freehold occupied at a time when the Governing Body were contemplating amendments to the 1844 Scheme. In the meantime the Master was allowed the option of living in the Usher's house.

Henceforth the fortunes of the School began to improve. The position had been so unenviable that with the temporary vacancy in the freehold of the Usher, the Governors and the Headmaster began to consider seriously the alteration of the Scheme of Management. The Charity Commissioners had been approached first in 1862, by Mr. Blakiston, and, after he had been supported by the Governing Body, the matter received official attention. An Inspector was sent down in the early part of 1863, and taking advantage of a reconciliation between the Master and Usher, he refused to discuss or enquire into the personal aspect of the matter.

His report described the financial resources of the School, which consisted of 732 acres of land, and produced a yearly income of over £1,120. There was also an increasing surplus of revenue over expenditure, which three yearslater amounted to little less than £800. The average number of boys during the years 1846-1860 had been eighty-three, and the highest point had been ninety-six. This according to the testimony of those, who had the longest associations with the School, was a considerably larger number than had ever been reached at any previous period. In 1860 the number had dropped to fifty-six, and at the time of the Inspector's visit was fifty-one. Ten of these were boarders, of whom nine lived in the Usher's House, one with the Headmaster. There was one day boarder; nine lodged with strangers, four more with relatives, the rest, twenty-seven in all, were home boarders or boys coming to School from their homes in the neighbourhood. The education was mainly Classical, although some boys who were intended for a commercial career were excused Greek and Latin Verse, while almost all learned both French and German.

The chief difficulty under which the School was labouring, was the class of boy from which it drew. The whole education was given free and this tempted many parents to send their sons, who in reality were not fitted to take advantage of the curriculum provided. There were exceptions, and some boys of humble parentage had distinguished themselves in an intellectual sphere, but their proportion was notgreat. It was therefore suggested that tuition fees should be imposed. Such a charge was revolutionary and was stoutly condemned by all the inhabitants living around. It formed the battlefield for ten years. Face to face with the Inspector, the Governors gave their consent to the change, but presently local pressure became so strong that they withheld it. But the short Scheme of 1864 which enabled members of the Governing Body to be chosen from a wider area, and the consequent appointment of Sir James Kay Shuttleworth gave a great impetus to reform. There was now no faintness of heart. The increased efficiency of the School became a dominating idea, and the principle of capitation fees was accepted. But it was impossible to carry through such a principle without the consent of the neighbourhood. Their enthusiasm could hardly be looked for, but their goodwill was indispensable. In 1865 their hostility was lessened to the extent that a compromise was suggested, by which fifty boys should always be admitted free of capitation fee, and that ability to read and write should be deemed sufficient to gain admittance. The School had never within living memory educated more than ninety-six boys, and at this time the numbers were down to thirty-seven, in 1864 they had been thirty-four, so that the suggested number of free boys was perhaps somewhatan exaggerated number. The Governors replied by suggesting twenty-five boys drawn from a radius of eight miles. This would probably have sufficed for as many as would be likely to benefit in the limited area, and the limitation in area was only a return to the original desire of the founder to educate boys who were sons of parents in the neighbourhood.

In October, 1865, Mr. J. G. Fitch inspected the School as an Assistant Commissioner, under the Schools Enquiry Commission. There were only twenty-two boys in the higher classes learning Latin, and the Sixth Form consisted of one, while only eight boys in all were able to read a simple passage from a Latin Author. He noticed several disadvantages under which the School was labouring, and consequent upon which it had declined. One of them was the narrow and local character of the Governing Body, but this had been recently amended by the Scheme of 1864. Another was the obvious one of the impossibility of having two masters, one nominally subordinate to the other, and yet each enjoying a freehold. Lastly, he pointed out that there was no effective supervision by the Governors over the boarding arrangements, and he condemned the gratuitous character of the instruction, which attracted boys for whom the education at the National School would have been sufficient.

The Report was issued and negotiations went forward with regard to capitation fees. The inhabitants of the Parish of Giggleswick were quite open to compromise within a limited extent. They were willing to reduce the number of free Scholars, but they could hardly be expected to waive their rights altogether. Instead of fifty they suggested thirty-five as a suitable number and the Governors agreed to accept thirty but no longer wished them to be chosen from a limited area. Limitation of area was however a very important point in the eyes of the Parish and they could not accept the offer. A deadlock arose. Sir James Shuttleworth saw the danger of jeopardizing the whole Scheme by their inability to agree upon one point and he boldly proposed to omit the clause altogether and allow it to stand over, while the rest of the Scheme was carried through. The Commissioners were asked to give their consent to this omission, and they were only very reluctantly persuaded to do so, for they had considered it to be a very important clause.

Even so a further difficulty arose. The freehold of the Usher was in abeyance, and Mr. Blakiston for the sake of the promised prosperity of the School had been willing to waive his rights but, when the question of capitation fees was wholly dropped, he changed his mind and proposed to retain his former position. Thewhole Scheme was in danger, until the Governors decided to point out to Mr. Blakiston that his refusal would in no way impede some of the essentials of the change but that, as they could not intrude upon his privileges, he would, while he retained the Mastership, continue to labour under all the disadvantages, which had for seven years made his position so irksome. He would still be unable to appoint or dismiss his Assistants and his power over the Scholars would not be changed for the better. The Master's decision was unaltered, but in March, 1866, he determined to accept an appointment as a Government Inspector of Schools and so the difficulty was at an end.

The following May the Commissioners promulgated the new Scheme and it will be as well to discuss it at this point. All boys were to be admitted who could read and write and were not afflicted with any contagious disorder. The Headmaster was to receive a salary of not less than £250 a year and was to be appointed by the Governors subject to the approval of the Bishop of Ripon, the Visitor of the School. He could be dismissed by a two-thirds majority of the Governors, without any cause being assigned. A house was provided for him and he could both appoint and dismiss all the Assistant Masters and have complete and sole control over the supervision and discipline of the boys. Theseregulations were a great step forward and the power of the Headmaster became a real power. Scholarships were also to be given to deserving boys, and they were to be tenable at the School. This was a new departure and had been suggested by the desire to impose capitation fees, which would in particular cases be excused. The Scholarships under the amended Scheme would be spent in part payment of the boarding fees. Leaving Exhibitions were also to be awarded and were intended to supplement the various moneys massed under the heading of Burton Rents.

The year 1865 was marked also by another equally notable enquiry. At the half-yearly meeting a Committee was appointed to enquire into the advisability of extending the boarding accommodation. The present arrangements were not satisfactory. The Usher's house could not accommodate more than ten boys, the Master's not so many. Any other boys from a distance were compelled to live with anyone in the village, who was willing to take them. The boys would be under no proper supervision and frequently the conditions would be not even sanitary. There was a clear need for an enlarged building, where as many boys could live, as were attracted to a school, which had many natural advantages.

CRICKET GROUND.CRICKET GROUND.

The Committee issued their report inOctober and proposed that a Boarding-house should be built and a level piece of ground provided in its vicinity for Football and Cricket. The Boarding-house was to provide a dining-hall, rooms for preparatory studies and dormitories for fifty boys, together with apartments for a Master in charge. The Trust Funds were not sufficient to build the School up afresh, with new Boarding-houses and new Class-rooms and it was a debateable question what site they should choose. The first proposal was to use the recently built School and convert the upper room into a dormitory and so increase the accommodation with a minimum of expense. But the close proximity of the Churchyard gave a suggestion of insanitariness to the site and the absence of playing fields made it impossible. There was a further choice. Near Craven Bank was a certain amount of land belonging to Mr. Robinson and also a field of five acres. Other sites were suggested including one between the Workhouse and the Station but finally in January, 1866, the plot of land near Craven Bank was bought for £375. Mr. Ingram's house—at the present time occupied by the Headmaster—was offered to the Governors for £2,600 subject to Mrs. Kempson's life interest, but it was not accepted. There was a further question of the lines on which the Boarding-house should be run. The alternatives were,to let the buildings to the Master on a rent of six per cent. on the total outlay and allow him to make what money he could out of the pupils, or to adopt what was called the Hostel System. The Master would then have a limited control over the internal discipline of the boys, but the other responsibilities would rest with the Governors. All profit could then be appropriated by them with a view to the adoption of a Sinking Fund and an Exhibition Fund. Finally the Hostel System was decided upon. In March, 1866, Sir James Kay Shuttleworth, Mr. Carr and Mr. Morrison were appointed as a Committee to obtain plans for the erection of a Boarding-house and to prepare a scheme of management for it.

Mr. Blakiston's resignation was accepted at the same meeting, and Mr. Thomas Bramley was appointed as his temporary successor. He had already been acting as an Assistant in the place of the Usher, and his salary was now raised to £250 a year, and he was liable to supersession at three months' notice; he had no freehold, and was only intended to act as Master for a limited period. Before closing the Chapter on Mr. Blakiston's career at Giggleswick it will be well to recapitulate briefly some of the excellent work that he had accomplished. He had come in a time of transition. Education throughout England was in the melting-pot.Giggleswick itself had very considerable opportunities of expanding into one of the foremost Schools in the North of England. The population was growing rapidly. New industries were springing up on every hand. A generation was coming to manhood, whose needs were as yet a matter for speculation. But Giggleswick had a traditional hold upon the minds of the North, it had also a rich endowment. Was it prepared to meet the necessities of the hour, or was it to continue in the same self-centred policy that had served well enough in the past? Mr. Blakiston answered the question at once. He was young, he was ambitious, he was a scholar. He was also in his ideas a revolutionary. It is not difficult to picture the result. Thrown into the midst of a slow-moving machinery, alone in his estimate of the potential greatness of the School, supremely conscious of his mission, he found himself a solitary. There are two methods of progress. One to oil the old cog-wheels and pray for progression. Another to point out the clogging nature of the machinery and propose a new device. He chose the latter method. It was bold and dangerous. But he went through with it courageously. The numbers dropped rapidly, the fame of the School suffered a relapse, but in the end the victory was his. Before he retired, one new scheme had been adopted, another and a better one wasawaiting confirmation, the suggestion of a new Boarding-house was being pressed forward, and the field was clear for the great and revolutionary change—the adoption of a system of capitation fees. The subsequent prosperity of the School owed much of its swift development to the Headmastership of Mr. Blakiston, and it is a grateful task to record it.

ON the resignation of Mr. Blakiston, in March, 1866, the Rev. Thomas Bramley, an Assistant Master, was appointed temporary Headmaster. The Charity Commissioners had been asked for their advice, and had expressly stipulated that the temporary office should not carry with it any freehold. After holding this position for eighteen months, Mr. Bramley sent in his resignation in October, 1867. The Governors held a meeting to consider the position, and a letter was read voicing the opinion of the inhabitants of the neighbourhood that a permanent Headmaster should be appointed. They shewed that the numbers of the School proved that the education received had value in the eyes of the locality, and they suggested that a permanent Headmaster would be more likely to take a close interest in the boys. The Governors replied that they could not see their way to making a permanent appointment, until the Boarding-house had been completed and the regulations drawn up for boys who wished to reside with strangers in the neighbourhood.

THE HOSTEL, 1869.THE HOSTEL, 1869.

The Plans for a Boarding-house had beengoing forward rapidly, and in May, 1867, the Charity Commissioners had sanctioned the expenditure by the Governors of £6,400. The income of the Trust had for some years shewn a surplus of revenue over expenditure, and this surplus then amounted to over £1,200; the further £5,000 was obtained from the proceeds of the sale of the Rise Estate, in 1863. The Boarding-house was to be built by Mr. Paley, a grandson of the Archdeacon, and was to contain Dormitories for forty-nine boys and studies for eighteen.

In December, 1867, Mr. Michael Forster was appointed provisional Headmaster for a single year. It was particularly pointed out to him that the position would not carry with it any claim to be appointed to the permanent post, when it was determined that such should be filled up. Mr. Forster had taken a First Class in Classical Moderations, and a Second in the Final School, and in addition had won a Winchester Scholarship in Mathematics at New College, and had "read Mathematics as high as Plane Trigonometry."

The numbers of the School steadily increased, and in the Easter Term of 1868 there were sixty-six boys, and in the following Michaelmas Term sixty-seven, of whom four boarded in the Master's House, and eleven in Lodging Houses. The rest were day-boysliving at home. The majority were very young: twenty-two boys were under twelve, and forty-one between the ages of twelve and sixteen.

In May, 1869, the Governors proceeded to the appointment of a permanent Headmaster. Mr. Michael Forster had been continued in his provisional post for a few months, and had witnessed a further increase in the numbers of the School, which at that period stood at seventy-three. The regulations for the conduct of the School had been drawn up, and the Headmaster was to receive a House rent-free and an assured income of £250, with a further additional sum for each boy, not exceeding fifty in number, who should board for a year in the Hostel or in the Master's House. The maximum would then amount to £750, but a further sum of £250 was possible, if the Governors deemed it expedient to build a second Hostel to accommodate another fifty boys.

For the first time in the history of the School it was not necessary for applicants to be in Holy Orders, but the master must be a member of the Church of England, and a graduate of one of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge or Dublin. Under the new Scheme of Management the appointment of Assistant Masters, but not their salaries, and the control of the internal discipline and conduct of the School were to be in his sole charge. But the regulationsfor the admission of boys and for the subjects of instruction were to be made by the Governing Body.

A scheme had been drawn up by a Sub-Committee, whereby the charge for Boarders was fixed at £80 per annum and £5 of each boarder's charges was to be appropriated to Free Scholarships and Exhibitions. The division of the School into an Upper and Lower Division was maintained and the subjects in the latter were to be English in all its branches, Arithmetic and the Accidence of Latin. The Upper School in time was to consist of two sides, Classical and Modern. The Classical side had as its especial object the preparation of boys for the English Universities, whereas the Modern side was intended to give instruction in Latin, French, German, English Literature, Mathematics, History, Physical Geography, and, when the numbers of the School should increase, Chemistry or some other branch of Natural Science. Latin could be omitted with the concurrence of the Master and parents in individual cases. Provision was also made for an increased and efficient staff of Masters, some of whom should be resident in the Hostel.

There were four principal applicants for the Headmastership and on May 26, 1869, the Governors elected as Headmaster the Rev. George Style, Fellow of Queens' College,Cambridge, who since the beginning of 1868 had been an Assistant Master at Clifton College.

The staff of Masters consisted of Mr. Style, the Headmaster, Mr. C. H. Jeaffreson, late Scholar of Lincoln College, Oxford, the Second Master, without however a freehold, Mr. Arthur Brewin, who was still in charge of the Lower School, which at this time came rather to be known as the Junior or Preparatory School, and Herr Stanger who visited the School on certain days each week in order to teach German.

When Mr. Style came he found fifty-six boys in the School; of these, three became boarders in the Hostel, fifteen were boarding in various houses in the neighbourhood and the rest lived with their parents. In March, 1870, at the Annual Meeting, the Headmaster reported that there were sixty-one boys in the School of whom nine were in the Hostel and sixteen in private Boarding-houses. The system of Private Boarding-houses constituted a difficulty common to many of the older schools in England at this period. It was not possible to put a sudden stop to a practice that had been prevalent for the most part of three centuries and yet the accommodation in many of these lodging-houses was inadequate and the sanitary arrangements most prejudicial to health. It is only necessary to glance at the regulations which the Governors thought fit to make to realize how unrestrictedhad been the life of the boys who lodged in such houses. Henceforward no boy could live in a house, other than his parents', unless the tenant had received a license from the Governing Body. No boy was to be allowed to leave the house after 7-0 p.m. in Winter, and 9-0 p.m. in Summer. No boy should enter a Public House, or smoke or play cards, and any breach of the rules was to be forthwith reported to the Headmaster. This was the first occasion on which any rules had been laid down. Eventually the private Boarding-houses gave place to the Hostel, where greater opportunities existed for study and discipline; in 1871 only four such private boarders remained and soon afterwards there were none.

A HOSTEL STUDY.A HOSTEL STUDY.

CLASS ROOM.CLASS ROOM.

As soon as the Endowed Schools Act had been passed in 1869 the Governors of Giggleswick began to consider a new scheme for the management of the School. On May 30, 1870, Mr. D. R. Fearon, an Assistant Endowed Schools Commissioner, came down to confer with the Governors. He suggested that the foundations of Giggleswick and Sedbergh should be amalgamated and that out of their joint funds two first-grade schools should be established, one Classical, one Modern; and that in some respects it would be more convenient that Sedbergh should be the Modern School, because at that time it was almost in abeyance andtherefore the difficulties would be less great. If the Governors of Giggleswick had not already expended large sums in building, the Commissioners would have approved a scheme for removing both schools and establishing one central foundation for Classical and Modern studies, but this was then impossible. It was proposed that the Governing Body should be increased and no teaching be gratuitous, but in order to provide for the satisfaction of local requirements a Third Grade School should be established in Settle either as a separate school or as an upper branch of the National School or alternatively they should annex to Giggleswick School a Junior Department with a lower fee and a limitation of age. Further, in consequence of the twelfth clause of the Endowed Schools Act, some provision was to be made out of the Giggleswick Endowments for the education of girls. These suggestions were not all carried out. The two foundations were treated separately, except that Sedbergh was established as a First-grade Secondary School with Classics as its main subject, and Giggleswick was similarly established on Modern lines.

The new regulations for the government of the School came into force in 1872. The Governing Body was to consist of sixteen members; eight were to be Representative Governors, and were to consist of the Justices of the Peace in thePetty Sessional Divisions in which Giggleswick and Sedbergh were respectively situated; representatives nominated by S. John's College, Cambridge, Owen's College, Manchester, and the Governing Bodies of certain neighbouring Grammar Schools. The remaining eight were to be co-optative. The Vicar of Giggleswick ceased to be an ex-officio Governor and the Bishop of Ripon was no longer the official visitor of the School. His powers were henceforward vested in the Crown. The Headmaster had no freehold but was liable to be dismissed at six months' notice without cause assigned by a two-thirds majority of the Governing Body, twice assembled for the purpose. But on the other hand he was given complete jurisdiction over the whole internal management, teaching and discipline of the School, and full power to appoint and dismiss his Assistant Masters.

HOSTEL.HOSTEL.

The question of free education at the School was settled finally. Every boy admitted into the School had to pay an entrance fee not exceeding £3 and a tuition fee not less than £12 or more than £24. Fees for boarding in the Hostel were not to exceed £45. Certain exemptions from tuition fees could be granted as the reward of merit, and in a few instances the boarding fees might be remitted for similar reasons and to a limited extent. If the stateof the Trust Funds permitted, a leaving Exhibition, to be called The Giggleswick Exhibition, might be awarded for the purpose of fitting the holder for some profession or calling. It was to be given on the results of an examination in Mathematics, Natural Science or Modern Languages.

The most important clause in the scheme was that which inaugurated the Shute Exhibitions. Giggleswick had been founded as a Free School, and the fundamental alteration of its character had been vigorously opposed by the inhabitants of the neighbourhood for close upon ten years. They were fighting a losing battle. It was clear that no school could maintain the efficiency of its education without the imposition of fees. One of its two original characteristics must go. Either the education must cease to be free, or it must lose its former liberal element. For three hundred years and more a Grammar School education had been such that by its very breadth it endeavoured to fit men for whatsoever walk in life they intended to adopt. But in the nineteenth century education was becoming more expensive, and the old ideals could not be maintained at the old cost. It is always an odious task to change the character of a benefaction, and to deprive people of long-standing privileges, but on the other hand it isessential to look at the matter from a different standpoint. Did the imposition of fees rob many boys of the chance of an education by which they were likely to profit? The answer is almost certainly in the negative. That there were some few to whom a higher education would be a gain is equally certain, and for these provision was made. The bequests of Josias Shute had been made in order to enable poor scholars to go up to the University, and for two hundred years the money was used in this way. But in 1872 it was diverted. It was henceforth to be applied to the payment of the tuition fees of such boys as had for not less than three years been educated at one or other of the Public Elementary Schools in the Ancient Parish of Giggleswick, and who should be deserving of it. These boys were to be called Shute Exhibitioners. The change has limited the numbers of boys from the neighbourhood who have been educated at the School, but the results have been excellent. Many Shute Exhibitioners have been enabled by this help to fit themselves for various positions in life, in which they have afterwards distinguished themselves, and it is improbable that any have been kept back by their failure to gain an Exhibition. The Governors further determined to change the character of the Lower School and make the education received there similar to that ofa Preparatory School. In order to carry out the second aspiration of the Endowed Schools Commissioners, namely to "promote the education of girls," the Governors were ordered to pay £100 yearly to some girls' schools, which should be chosen later. This sum was paid to the Endowed School for Girls at Skipton.

THE LIBRARY.THE LIBRARY.

The subjects of instruction at the Grammar School were fixed according to the ideas prevalent for the promotion of "Modern" Education. Natural Science was included, and Latin found a place. Greek did not form part of the regular course, but the Governors could accord permission to learn it to such boys as needed it to qualify them to enter an University. The permission was frequently granted, and in such cases Greek was taken in place of German.

The establishment of the new scheme was followed by a great development in the numbers of the School. Whereas in March, 1871, there were only fifty-eight boys, in the following March there were sixty-seven, and in December, 1873, one hundred and one. Never before in the history of the School had the numbers, so far as is known, reached a hundred, and the rapid increase justified the decision of the Governors to build the Hostel and to lower the boarding fees. It is a remarkable fact that although in the early part of 1872, noboys had been required to pay any money for tuition, yet no boy left the School when fees were imposed later in the same year in accordance with the provisions of the scheme.

It is probable that the provision made under the Scheme for the teaching of Natural Science contributed largely to the increase in numbers. In January, 1872, the Headmaster had appointed Dr. W. Marshall Watts, as an Assistant Master, to take charge of the Science subjects, viz.: Chemistry, Physics, and Botany in the Upper School. At the same time arrangements were made by the Governors for the building of the first part of the Chemical Laboratory. The plans for the buildings and all the arrangements were carried out in accordance with the advice and under the personal supervision of Dr. Marshall Watts, who brought to bear upon the subject the experience which he had lately gained at Manchester Grammar School. In consequence the Laboratory, which cost about £1,500, was excellently adapted to its purpose. While the building operations were in progress, the Science teaching was begun and carried on under difficulties in two or more rooms at Craven Bank, which was then empty. A new residence for the Headmaster had been provided by the Governors in 1872. Holywell Toft had been built by the Rev. Rowland Ingram, a son of the former Headmaster, and hehad used it as his residence while he was Vicar of Giggleswick; when he resigned the office, his sister Mrs. Kempson remained there. In 1871 the Governors were given the opportunity of purchasing it for £2,000, and in the following year it was used as the official residence of the Headmaster.

CLASS ROOMS AND LABORATORY.CLASS ROOMS AND LABORATORY.

The additions to the Hostel, rendered necessary by the increase in numbers, were sanctioned by the Charity Commissioners in 1874, and a sum of £10,000 was named to provide for the same, and for the provision of further accommodation in the Laboratory. The Hostel already provided accommodation for forty-nine boys, but with the additions, which included, besides other buildings, the whole of the South Wing, and on the North the present Dining Hall and the Dormitories above it, room was made for about sixty-six more boys. From this time also the three-term system was adopted. Previously the School had assembled in the middle of August until Christmas, after which they came back for a long term extending from January till July, with only a short holiday at Easter. The holidays were now lengthened from eleven or twelve weeks in the year to fourteen.

In 1876 the numbers had increased to such an extent that it was found necessary to build new Class-Rooms. Teaching had been stillcarried on in what is now known as the Old School, and the accommodation for some time had been so inadequate that rooms in the Hostel itself had been utilized. The Governors therefore determined to build rooms sufficient for one hundred and twenty boys, and to add a Lecture-room to the Laboratory. A difficulty arose about the site. It was at first proposed to lessen the expenditure by adding to the Old School, where there was a sufficient space, but such an addition would have permanently divided the life of the School, and apart from the question of finance, it was clearly of the utmost importance that the Class-rooms should be adjacent to the Hostel. This course was finally decided upon, and six Class-rooms were built. The total cost of these buildings and of the Hostel additions reached over £13,000, and the Governors were empowered to sell certain of their North Cave Estates, and to borrow £6,000 from the Governors of Sedbergh. This debt was finally paid off in 1881 out of surplus revenue, which was so great that in 1878 Fives Courts were built out of it, and three years later £1,100 was spent in alterations and additions to the Headmaster's House. In spite of this considerable expenditure the Governors were still able to put aside each year the sum of £800.

CHEMISTRY LABORATORY.CHEMISTRY LABORATORY.

THE MUSEUM.THE MUSEUM.

The numbers continued to increase rapidly, and in 1884 the Charity Commissioners agreed to the proposal of the Governors to extend the Class-rooms. Those already standing had been built in such a way that it was an easy undertaking to add to them. The road up High Rigg alone stood in their way, but permission was obtained to divert it and make a better road further South. On the ground-floor two new Class-rooms were built and connected by a corridor on the West side, while above it Big School, eighty feet long by thirty feet broad, absorbed one of the former Class-rooms, and supplied what had previously been a great defect in the arrangements of the School. It was capable of holding between three and four hundred people, and was thus of the utmost use on Speech Days and other great occasions, besides providing a fit place for assembling the whole School for Prayers and Concerts. At the southern end of the building a transverse addition was built, of which the lower half was to serve as a Library, and above were two Class-rooms opening into the Big School. Thus in addition to the Science Block, the School Buildings now consisted of Big School and nine large Class-rooms, each of which was capable of holding from twenty to twenty-five boys. Another long-felt need was also supplied. A large Covered Playground was erected on theWest side of the Class-rooms. It was one hundred and five feet long and fifty feet broad, with a height of forty feet; its floor was paved with wood, and its walls were cemented. There a large proportion of the School could amuse themselves on days when the inclemency of the weather made out-door pursuits difficult. The cost of these buildings was defrayed out of the Trust Funds, but at the same time a Gymnasium and Changing Room were added by money provided by the subscriptions of Old Boys and other friends of the School, and in particular of Mr. John Birkbeck, one of the Governors. The cost of this part alone amounted to over £1,300.

The twenty years from 1866 to 1886 saw the whole character of the School transformed. A complete set of new buildings had been erected with boarding accommodation for one hundred and fifty boys, and Class-rooms for two hundred and forty, all within one central space. Over twenty thousand pounds had been expended, and yet it had been found possible to meet these many claims without unduly depleting the total revenue arising from the Estates in the possession of the Governors in the East-Riding. The rental in 1894 was over £700, and shewed a decrease of a little less than £500 a year. That such a sudden and swift development should have been possiblereflects the greater credit on the foresight of Sir James Kay Shuttleworth and his fellow Governors and on the energy and enthusiasm of the Headmaster.

BIG SCHOOL.BIG SCHOOL.

No branch of the School life failed to grow during these eventful years; in work and in play success was pre-eminent. Dr. Marshall Watts was possessed of new buildings and up-to-date apparatus, and he did not fail to use them to the full. Mr. Style himself superintended the Mathematical work of the School, and both Mathematics and Science turned many a Giggleswick boy towards paths which brought honour and distinction to himself and his School. Between the years 1880 and 1891 five Scholarships were won for Mathematics, and nine first-class Mathematical Honours. In Natural Science thirteen boys won Scholarships at Oxford or Cambridge, and eleven took first classes. One Classical Scholarship was gained, the Junior Mathematical Scholarship at Oxford and one Mathematical Fellowship at Cambridge. Two boys passed into the Indian Civil Service direct from the School. Many others won Second-class Honours or Exhibitions or Scholarships at other places and several were placed extremely high in the Honours List of the London University Matriculation. These successes speak for themselves, and cover only a period of eleven years. The last decade of the century was almost as fruitful.

At this point it will be as well to picture more definitely in the mind the characteristics of the School. A contributor to theGiggleswick Chronicle, in June, 1893, has described the conditions as he found them on his admission in 1871. The Dining-room stood where the Senior Reading-room now is, but it extended further back, including what is now a passage and the Servants' Hall. The eight Studies at the end of the lower passage formed a single large room for evening preparation and for prayers. Gas was not used, but oil-lamps were in every study and the school-room in the Hostel was lighted by candles fitted into tall metal candlesticks heavily weighted. The Old School was the chief place for work and the practice was continued of having the Junior School, which corresponded to the more ancient Lower School, upstairs and the Upper School consisting of three classes worked on the ground floor. The Class-room and Library were soon called into use and as the numbers rapidly increased two large rooms at the South end of the Hostel which had been recently built were also used. Science Classes were held in Craven Bank.

FIVES COURTS.FIVES COURTS.

In 1877 the death of Sir James Kay Shuttleworth robbed Giggleswick of a firm friend. His position as Chairman of the Governors had enabled him largely to mould the destinies of the School during its verydifficult and important period of transition. He had been the most strenuous supporter of all who had the true interests of the School at heart, and he had fought amongst the foremost in the struggle for a new Scheme. Sir James Shuttleworth came to Giggleswick free from local prejudice and trained in educational work and the success that attended the School from 1872 onwards is largely due to the broad-minded sagacity that he displayed.

Lord Frederick Cavendish succeeded him as Chairman and for five years gave Giggleswick of his best. He was followed by his brother Lord Edward Cavendish, who held the office for nearly nine years till his death in 1891. In that year Mr. Hector Christie entered upon his long term as Chairman. Ever since the Scheme of 1864 the Governing Body had been an exceedingly strong one. In addition to those already mentioned there were at different times Mr. Morrison, Mr. C. S. Roundell, Rev. H. I. Swale, and Mr. John Birkbeck, junior. All these men took a great individual interest in the School and as a body they were generous and progressive.

From time immemorial the School had attended Giggleswick Parish Church for services on Sunday, and during this period two pews, one for the Headmaster and one for the Second Master, were set apart immediately on theNorth and South sides of the Communion Table. Boarders sat in their respective Master's pew or overflowed into other seats in the Church. But with increasing numbers it became difficult to provide seats for the School without interfering unduly with the convenience of the general congregation. Accordingly at the beginning of the year 1875 the School was allowed to have the use of the Church on Sundays for a special service at 9-0 a.m., but they still attended the ordinary afternoon service at 3-0. This system continued for five years until in 1880 the Governors laid on gas in the Church and put in suitable fittings. The School was then enabled to have a second special service at 7-0 p.m. A few years later the Rev. W. H. Coulthurst, the Vicar, consented to a plan for the restoration of the Church, and it was only fitting that the School should take a special interest in the work. The Headmaster issued an appeal for financial help to the Old Boys and to the School; £120 was collected for the General Fund, special contributions were made to the new organ, and the Headmaster and Boys, Past and Present, gave the Church a clock with S. Mary's chimes. This clock replaced an old one, which was put in the School Museum. Its works were made partly of wood and it required daily winding by hand, a process which occupied a considerable time.The School services during the progress of the restoration were held in Big School, while the Old School had been given over to the Vicar for the holding of the Parish services. The Church was re-opened on May 11, 1892, by the Bishop of Richmond, and on the following Sunday the sermon at the first School service was preached by the Rev. Delaval Ingram, a son of the former Vicar and a grandson of the Rev. Rowland Ingram, the former Master of the School.

LORD FREDERICK CAVENDISH.LORD FREDERICK CAVENDISH.

During Mr. Style's Headmastership Athletics also became a permanent part of the School life. The Cricket-field had been purchased in 1869, and had been used for both Cricket and Football. Unfortunately it was a fair-weather ground. Its foundations rested on peat, and continuous play all the year round did not improve it. The first matches that were played took place in the early seventies, when the Hostel had as yet only fourteen boys, but in spite of their small numbers a match was arranged between them and the rest of the School. Later on other School fixtures were mapped out, and the great days of the year were when Sedbergh, and, for a time, Lancaster School were the opponents. Between the years 1871 and 1895 forty-six Cricket Matches were played against Sedbergh, of which nine were drawn and seventeen won. Similarly during the period 1880-1895 twenty-four Football Matches took place, and Giggleswick won ten. The two Schools were equally matched, and the football of both reached a high standard. The Swimming Bath had been built in 1877, and was roofed in for use in winter. The Fives Courts were well attended, and Golf was begun on the playing fields at a later time. In 1893 a new Football Field was bought and an adjoining one rented. This was a material help to the School Athletics, for it was one of the few level fields in the district that was not in the winter almost permanently a marsh.


Back to IndexNext