Captain Perry was killed, through mistaken identity, by a Yankee soldier as Captain Perry was standing on the corner near his home.
Captain Perry’s daughter, Lucy, is said to have been the first child born in Jefferson, and was the first native Jeffersonian to be married there. She was married to Captain Claiborne, and to them were born four children, Perry, Howard, Fannie, and Lucylee. Captain and Mrs. Claiborne spent all of their married life in Jefferson, and the home place is still in excellent condition.
The Excelsior Hotel was originally known as the Irvine House and in 1871 was operated by Mr. A. Britton. Mrs. Kate Wood acquired it about 1877, and at her death the property was left jointly to Mr. George Niedermeier and her daughter, Mrs. Neeley. The present proprietors are Mr. and Mrs. Walter Neidermeier.
The old record books show the signatures of many noted men, among who were Jacob Astor, June 30, 1878; W. H. Vanderbilt in 1881; Gen. Grant, Feb. 7, 1881.
Near the top of a crowded column of signatures is the name of Jay Gould. At the bottom of the page, in the same handwriting, is the notation: “The end of Jefferson, Texas.”
An old advertisement of the Irvine Hotel appears in the 1871 directory and states: “Stages arrive at and depart from this hotel daily.”
The property on which the Post Office and Federal Courthouse now stand was donated by Mrs. Kate Wood, once owner of the hotel.
Today the hotel is noted for the many beautiful pieces of antique furniture. Among them is a “button bed”, a suite in carved walnut, old fashioned secretary, settees, marble topped tables, quaint lamps, a massive Chickering square piano and its stool with needlepoint upholstery, and many lovely pictures, one worked in wool, valued at $1,000.
For each table in the spacious dining hall there was a revolving silver castor with the various glass bottles for pepper and salt, vinegar, pepper sauce and catsup.
In 1877 Jefferson gave a celebration in imitation of Mardi Gras, as put on at New Orleans, Louisiana, but called it “Queen Mab”, borrowing the conception from Shakespeare, with whose plays even frontiersmen and pioneers were familiar. The street parade was several miles in extent, made up of floats decorated with flowers and grotesques, carrying innumerable fairy folk and punctuated with bands of music with “Queen Mab” herself as central figure, the whole “blow out” winding up with a grand ball. This was an annual affair for many years.
Dr. George T. Veal of Dallas, Texas, tells us that far back in slavery times Jefferson was one of the most famed towns of the South, and wasset down in the school geographies as the “Emporium of the Southwest.”
Jefferson has truly lived up to its slogan, “Queen of the Cypress.” Many visitors come from Dallas, Fort Worth, and even El Paso and many other towns to enjoy the fishing and hunting that can be found in the pine woods and lakes surrounding the historic old town.
An Advertisement of a famous old hotel operated here:
THE HAYWOOD HOUSEJefferson, TexasLargest and Finest Hotel Building West of the Mississippi
Has been fitted up in a style of elegance and comfort, that entitles it to the patronage of the home and traveling public. The rooms are comfortable, and have new furniture. The table supplied with the best the market affords; and the servants attentive. In a word it is the business of the Proprietors to consult the comfort of guests, and to make the house a desirable stopping place.
The annex to the Haywood Home is the present home of Mrs. Lizzie Haywood.
In the machine man’s history of Jefferson, the story is incomplete without the mention of what is now the Jefferson Foundry and Machine Shop, a descendant of one of the community’s enterprises, now owned and operated by E. B. McDonald.
The original machine shop was Miles and Co., and its beginning about 1870. Morris and McKeoun followed as the new steps in the ladder of the Foundry’s ownership.
M. Bower acquired Morris’ interest in the business and the name became McKeoun and Bower, later McKeoun and Lione and finally McKeoun became sole owner.
The foundry burned in 1890 and the same year the McDonald Shop started its career. G. B. McDonald, father of E. B., John and George started the business with the help of his three sons, all of whom became noted machinists in East Texas.
Mr. McDonald came to Jefferson, Texas, in 1886 and operated a flour mill and later had charge of the City gas system.
When the boys were old enough and trained as machinists, Mr. McDonaldwent into the machine shop and foundry and together they built a business which is considered one of the most complete machine shops in East Texas.
The present owner, E. B. McDonald is considered an authority on much of Jefferson and Marion County history. He is a hobbyist of note and collects authentic markers of the country’s history.
His ability is accepted with a note of finality on any mechanical questions.
One of the leading drug stores of Jefferson is Sedberry’s. It has been in business in Jefferson since 1865, and is said to be the oldest drug store in Texas, or even in the United States, continuing under the same name. For more than 75 years this store has been serving the people of this and surrounding territory carefully and efficiently.
The name Kelly has been identified with East Texas iron ore development since the Civil War and Reconstruction days. But in order to have a better appreciation of the Kelly family we copy from a paper that was prepared by Hubert M. Harrison, vice president and general manager of East Texas Chamber of Commerce, and a copy was sent to Mrs. McKay, a relative, by Mr. R. M. Kelly. It follows:
“About seven years after the historic Battle of San Jacinto, while Texas was a republic, John A. Stewart, later a brother-in-law of G. A. Kelly, came to Texas from Tennessee and began making small crude plows in a little shop operated by a man named Saunders, near Marshall, Harrison County, Texas.
“Five years later, in 1848, Stewart moved his plow patterns and tools to a popular campsite for wagoners called ‘Four-Mile-Branch,’ four miles west of the then thriving old Jefferson. Here he formed a partnership with Zachariah Lockett (a brother-in-law) and the new firm of Lockett & Stewart continued making the little plows and operated a general repair shop.
“Jefferson, founded in 1836, was head of navigation in Cypress Bayou, a small tributary of Red River and before the advent of railroads was the metropolis of North Texas and trading center of a vast surrounding area.
“George Addison Kelly, of pioneer Scotch-Irish ancestors came to Texas in 1852. He was born in 1832 in Green County, Tennessee, the seventh of twelve children. At the age of 17 he, with part of the family, migrated to Louisiana and located in a homestead grant in Natchitoches Parish. His pioneer spirit urged him toward Texas and three years later young George, 20 years old, landed in Jefferson via steamboat on which he was a mate. Believing this busy frontier held opportunities for an ambitiousyoung man, he located at ‘Four Mile Branch’ and began his career in the little shop by the side of the road. He soon acquired an interest in this primitive industry and later purchased full ownership.
“The first crude cupola for melting iron in the little foundry used Charcoal and the blast was produced by horse driven bellows. The little shop prospered and expanded and a steam engine and improved cupola were soon installed. Its products were the original crude plow, cast iron stoves, cooking utensils and machinery repairs. The camping wagons wanted cow bells for their grazing oxen and cattle and the little shop made cow bells—thousands of them.
“Farmers were needing and demanding more and better plows. George A. Kelly met this urgent demand by designing in 1860 the famous ‘Kelly Blue Plow’, the foundation stone of this near-century-old industry. A tribute at the time of his death in 1909 stated: ‘Here is a pioneer who made a plow—and a plow made Texas.’
“From the erstwhile little shop at ‘Four-Mile-Branch’, renamed Kellyville in honor of its founder, the many camping wagoners, after disposing of their farm and ranch produce in Jefferson, hauled plows and other products throughout the expanding Southwest and the name KELLY became a household word.
“During the Civil War and Reconstruction days iron was very scarce; so this pioneer industrialist built a furnace, and from the abundant East Texas ores smelted high grade pig iron for his own use and sold surplus tonnage, which met with great favor. Charcoal was used for fuel, but this was costly and could not compete with later developed cheaper coke fuels, and after several years of successful operation this furnace was abandoned, having served its useful purpose. This early day iron maker predicted that when the need appeared for iron and steel produced from East Texas ores, an economical fuel process would be developed. Fulfillment of this prediction is near. Large smelters are being constructed at Daingerfield and Houston, Texas, and a gas fired furnace providing sponge iron is near completion in Longview.
“Soon after the outbreak of the Civil War, G. A. Kelly raised a company of soldiers, was commissioned captain and reported for service. His company was accepted but he was detailed to continue producing plows and utensils needed by civilians, also cast iron for cannon balls.
“When railroads began to cross Texas, the wagoners with their long wagon trains gradually disappeared from the rough, muddy roads. Boats ceased to ply the bayou and the important trading center of Jefferson lost its prestige. Then the Kelly foundry and factory were totally destroyed by fire, with no insurance. In 1882 salvage from the wreck was moved to Longview, a new railroad center.
“Beginning anew in Longview, this rebuilt plow factory gradually expanded into an imposing agricultural implement factory—’the lengthened shadow of one man.’ Here is manufactured from raw material a wide variety of plows and implements for all types of farms, including the old‘Blue Plow,’ which has retained its popularity for almost a century, a continuing tribute to its inventor.
“Operating profits in part were re-invested and the present substantial structure has been built entirely from earnings. Full ownership is still in the Kelly family.
“Among the family relics is the 200-pound bell (part silver) used by the boat which brought the ambitious Kelly to Texas, also one of his old cow bells and an antique plow.
“In recognition of this pioneer industry, the Texas Highway Commission erected a granite marker on the original site of the little plow shop at ‘Four Mile Branch’.
“This pioneer industry, the only full line plow factory in the Southwest, for nine decades has had only two president-managers, the founder, George A. Kelly, and his son, Robert Marvin Kelly, now president. Since the days of the Republic of Texas, nearly 100 years, from the ‘Little shop by the side of the road’ and from its present well equipped factory, The G. A. Kelly Plow Company, through prosperity and adversity has continuously supplied plow tools to 5 generations of farmers in Texas and adjoining states. ‘Truly civilization follows the plow.’”
About 1887, John A. Crews, of Chicago, promoted a 60-ton furnace to smelt the surface deposits of iron ore found near Orr Switch and Lassater on the L. A. & T. railroad.
The smelter operated intermittently from 1887-1905, under changing managerships, until the high cost of transporting coke for fuel for the furnace made profitable operation impossible.
Several governmental—federal as well as state—investigations and surveys were made of the ore pits in an effort to ascertain the possibility of profitable exploitation.
Had the navigability of the bayou remained unchanged, it is highly possible that Jefferson might have regained the prominence and prosperity it enjoyed during the days of the great river traffic.
The Nash Iron Works was built in 1847—was operated by Boose and Ab Nash—and was located eighteen miles west of Jefferson on the Coffoeville road.
The main output consisted of wash pots, all kinds of kettles and kitchen utensils, and cannon balls.
In connection with the Iron Works, there was operated a pottery, where plates, bowls, pipes and jugs from 1 quart size to ten gallons, were made.
Those plants were in operation during the war, but no records exist as to how long after the war.
Beginning with what is known as the Presbyterian Manse, and was, in the early days, known as the Gen. Rogers home we have what is conceded to be the oldest home in Jefferson, though along with this may be mentioned the following:
The stately mansion of the late W. P. Schluter stands out as a monument to the city. The home has remained in the Schluter family since it was built many, many years ago and is located on Line Street.
The S. W. Moseley home was built by Mr. J. C. Preston, later known as the Norward home. It is said to have been built without nails in the building, only wooden pegs being used and all of the large windows were made by hand.
Another of the old homes is that of Dr. A. A. Terhune; just west of this is the home of Mr. and Mrs. Brennon Whelan, which was built in the early ’50’s by W. K. Mayberry, brother of Mrs. T. J. Rogers. Just north is another of the early homes, the McKay home. While it was not built by the McKays, they have owned, and it has been occupied by some member of the McKay family for years back. Today it is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Arch McKay. Mrs. DeGraffeuried, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Norsworth, who spent her childhood in Jefferson came to the old home and asked permission to go all over the place—“peep into the closets” and even to climb the back fence—all of which was gladly permitted by Mrs. McKay. And so happy memories linger in the old home for those who have long since moved to other cities and states. They love to come “home” and all true Jeffersonians are always glad to welcome them.
On Broadway stands a spacious home, that numbers among the oldest and was built by Mr. Alley, father of Mr. Tuck Alley. It is claimed to be about 85 years old. It is built upon a high terrace and to the younger generation has been known as the W. B. Ward, the Sol Spellings, and now the Brewer home. It is a most comfortable colonial home and has just recently been repaired by Miss Florence Weil niece of Mr. Brewer, and the present owner. Miss Weil makes her home in Riverside, California.
The home of Miss Willie Rowell is considered among the early homes of Jefferson and was owned and occupied by Mr. Quincy Bateman and family during the thriving days of Jefferson. The antique furniture in the Rowell home today brings many expressions of appreciation for things so beautiful, and it is considered a privilege to enjoy the treat of being permitted to “take a peep”.
The present home of Judge T. D. Rowell was formerly the home of P. G. Graham. After Mr. Graham’s death his widow was married to Mr. Overall, who was a printer and had his office and press in the home. The original Graham home was purchased by Judge Rowell and remodeled, being today, a handsome, modern, two story building on Walnut and Henderson Streets.
The J. M. Urquhart home, two miles west of Jefferson, is possibly one of the oldest homes in the immediate territory and has been in the Urquhart family since the early days of Jefferson. It is now the property and home of Mrs. Dessie Urquhart Moseley, granddaughter of Allen Urquhart, who helped in the founding of Jefferson.
Across the highway from this we find another ante-bellum country home, said to have been built by Mr. Ligon, it later became known as the J. C. Preston home and today it is owned by Roy Spellings, where he maintains a dairy. On the place is a scuppernong arbor which produces delicious grapes. The arbor is 60 by 85 feet and one vine measures 16 inches in circumference. The arbor is said to be eighty years old.
The Openheim home, owned and occupied by a member of the family for more than 85 years is among the homes of the early days of Jefferson.
The W. E. Singleton home is one of Jefferson’s oldest, and was originally known as the McFarland home. It is now owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Bennie Moseley. Mrs. Moseley is a granddaughter of the late W. E. Singleton Sr.
What is now known as the Jefferson College was originally the B. H. Epperson home and was built in the early ’70’s. An interesting feature of this building is the stair way and the cupola on the third floor with its specially treated colored glass windows by which water for bathing was heated by the rays of the sun.
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORWashington, D. C.
THIS IS TO CERTIFY THATTHE HISTORIC BUILDING
Known asWilliam M. Freeman House
IN THE COUNTY OFMarion
AND THE STATE OFTexas
HAS BEEN SELECTED BY THEADVISORY COMMITTEE OF THEHISTORIC AMERICANBUILDING SURVEY
As Possessing Exceptional Historic or Architectural Interest and as Being Worthy Of Most Careful Preservation For the Benefit of Future Generations and That to This End a Record of its Present Appearance and Condition Has Been Made and Deposited For Permanent Reference in The LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
Attest:
Marvin EickeurohtDistrict Officer
Harold L. IckesSecretary of the Interior
The above is a type likeness of a plaque received by Jesse DeWare of Jefferson, used here with his permission. A story of old Jefferson is incomplete without mention of the old Freeman home. This page is explanatory except that it does not have the official seal of the Department of Interior which is on the plaque.
Numerous educational institutions had advertisements in the 1871 directory, among them the following:
English and German select school in the Patillo Academy on Benners street—principal, Professor A. Rosentspitz.
St. Mary’s School, corner Market and Henderson streets—Teachers, Sisters of Charity.
Collegiate Institute, for male and female, corner Broadway and Alley streets—Principal, Professor J. T. S. Parks, Vice Principal, Professor M. Parks.
School for Boys and Girls on Friou street of which Professors P. Calhoun and G. A. Calhoun were principals.
Christ Church School for girls—Rev. E. G. Benners, Rector. Mrs. Kirkpatrick and Mrs. Simmons were teachers.
Other teachers of an early day were Prof. Draper, Mr. Foster, Mr. Jess Benten, Mr. Pickens, a red whiskered Irishman, and Miss Mahala Halloway who taught in the basement of the old Methodist Church.
Mr. Sam Ward organized the Paradise Academy near Jefferson in 1867.
Col. Bass taught a mixed school in the old courthouse, now the colored school.
Mr. R. W. Vinson and wife taught a private school and later when the public school was established, Mrs. Vinson became one of the charter teachers. A few years ago she voluntarily resigned but she is still deeply interested on all educational subjects.
Prof. Looney was one of the early day teachers, as was Miss Maggie Godfrey and Mrs. Willie Owens.
Miss Mary Boise taught a girls school with Mrs. Maggie Preston as assistant.
The Jefferson Institute was another early day school of which Miss Ellie Norwood was principal.
A public school was established in Jefferson in 1888 or ’89 with Col. Bass as the first Superintendent.
Mr. R. W. Vinson was the first County Superintendent and Miss Alice Emmert was the second.
Many of the prominent men who had a part in the making of Texas were born and reared in the little historic town of Jefferson. Mrs. Anna Hardwick Pennybacker was living in Jefferson and wrote the greater part of her “History of Texas” while here. Her father, Dr. J. B. Hardwick, was pastor of the First Baptist Church in Jefferson.
Col. Culberson was congressman from the First Congressional District for twenty-two years. He was one of the leading lawyers of the State, and was prominent in the famous Abe Rothchild case. He was the father ofC. A. Culberson, who was born and reared in Jefferson and started his political career as County Attorney of Marion County and was later Attorney General of the State, Governor of Texas, and was elected to the Senate of the United States. He was known as Senior Senator for a number of years—until his death.
Rev. D. B. Culberson, the father of Col. Culberson was one of the early pastors of the First Baptist Church of Jefferson.
A leading criminal lawyer of Texas. Upon leaving Jefferson he moved to Dallas.
Hector McKay, born in Tennessee, came to Texas with his mother and family when very young, settled near Elysian Fields, where the family remained many years. The old McKay burying ground is there. He was a member of Ector’s Brigade during the Civil War, enlisting at Marshall. He attained the rank of Captain. After the war, he practiced law in Marshall where he was a law partner of Judge Mabry and later of W. T. Armistead. Captain McKay was one of the prominent lawyers of early days of Jefferson.
Captain Moss, the grandfather of Mrs. Will Sims, of Jefferson, in 1836 operated and owned one of the finest steamboats on the river—The Hempstead. He assisted Captain Shreve in blowing out the rafts to make Cypress Bayou navigable to Jefferson and during the Mexican war he transported soldiers across the river into Texas.
Mr. T. L. Lyon, with his family, came to Jefferson during the summer of 1867. For many years Captain Lyon was a member of the firm, Mooring and Lyon, buying cotton and doing general mercantile business on Dallas Street. They commanded a wide scope of business in the palmy days of the city.
Later in life business reverses came and he accepted a clerkship in the “Lessie 13” a small freight packet, which burned. After which Captain Lyon was clerk on the Alpha. Both boats were commanded by the late Captain Ben Bonham.
Capt. Lyon continued his service on the Alpha, for a number of years. He was a good citizen, a devout Christian and an active member of the Methodist Church until his death Nov. 28th, 1908, leaving many friends to mourn his loss.
A daughter, Mrs. G. M. Jones, occupied the old home which was bought at the time of her father’s coming to Jefferson sixty-nine years ago, until her death recently.
Mr. Ferris was a leading lawyer of Dallas, Texas, and he too was reared in Jefferson.
Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Texas, and a leading lawyer of the State, made his home in Dallas and was a product of Marion County, living near Jefferson.
A leading business man and banker of Ft. Worth, Texas for many years started his business career in Jefferson during the palmy days.
This prominent family in the business and social life of the early days of Jefferson, branched out into the business world in Jefferson and when Jefferson began to lose navigation, along with it, many of her population, the Bateman family moved west and were helpful in building Ft. Worth, Texas, in business and banking lines.
In fact Jefferson furnished many of the leading business and professional men, who went west in the early days and built the State of Texas.
Jefferson is truly the “mother city” of the State of Texas as it was the largest and most noted in the early ’70’s and gave to the balance of the State leading business and professional men to make “The Lone Star State” great.
The old families, who were not so famous, but were the real stamina of the town down through the ages, when prosperity had passed on to other fields and living was hard—yet they lived on and kept the home fires burning until today Jefferson seems doomed to again come to be, and is known the state over as a promising oil center—with prosperity again in view. These with their children may be numbered by the hundreds. Among them we find:
Dr. B. J. TerryDr. T. H. StallcupW. B. StallcupWard TaylorDick TerryJ. H. RowellS. W. MoseleyShep HaywoodT. L. TorransW. P. SchluterLouis SchluterR. B. WalkerW. B. KennonJ. B. ZacheryW. B. SimsD. C. WiseA. UrquhartS. A. SpellingsCapt. LyonA. StutzT. J. RogersW. J. SedberrySam MoseleyW. B. WardSam WardJ. M. DeWareB. J. BenefieldJ. C. PrestonP. EldridgeI. GoldbergM. BowerJ. J. RivesH. Rives
These with many others have done much for Jefferson and Texas—So “Come to Texas” and be sure you come to Jefferson.
Benj. H. Epperson was born in Mississippi in about 1828. He was educated in North Carolina and at Princeton University, New Jersey. He came to Texas and settled at Clarksville sometime in the ’40’s. He studied law, was admitted to the bar and practiced with marked ability and success. He was active Whig politician before and after the war and was the candidate of his party for governor in 1851 at a time when he was below the constitutional age. In 1852 he was at the head of the Texas delegation to the Whig National convention. He served in the Legislature practically from 1858 until his death. He was a personal friend of Sam Houston and was consulted by Houston on numerous affairs of state.
In the controversy over secession Epperson was a Union man, standing substantially with General Houston on that question. After Texas seceded he cast his allegiance with the Confederacy and did a great deal for the cause, giving very liberally of his time and money. He was a member of the first Confederate Congress.
In 1866 he was elected to the U. S. Congress and went to Washington, but as Texas was not recognized as a State, he was not permitted to take his seat.
In the early ’70’s he moved to Jefferson, Texas where he lived until his death in 1878.
Because of his wide personal acquaintance and unusual ability he exercised a wide political influence throughout the State. He was one of the first presidents of East-Line Railroad, and was highly instrumental in the railroad development of Texas.
In 1931 a collection of papers and letters that had belonged to B. H. Epperson were sent to the University of Texas by his son. Among them were letters dealing with affairs in Texas during the Confederate war and Reconstruction periods, also Indian papers saved from the time that Mr. Epperson had represented the Indians in Washington before, or in the early ’50’s, besides many papers pertaining to Railway matters, etc. The Archivist, Mrs. Mattie Austin Hatcher has written that “they are very valuable.” He says that these things are used by historians and also by students in getting material for their thesis.
W. P. Torrans, born in Mobile, Alabama, in 1849 moved to Houston, Texas and in 1850 came to Jefferson. He established a general mercantile business on Austin Street, in the building next to the present Goldberg Feed Store.
In 1862 he was Tax Collector, but maintained his business also. In 1872 built the first brick block on Polk Street, where the Torrans Manufacturing Company is now located.
The W. P. Torrans home at one time stood in the middle of this block, made into an office building and used by Dr. A. C. Clopton. Mr. Torrans bought a home on the corner of Lafayette and Market Streets which is standing and in good repair.
The Torrans business has run continuously all these years and is known as the Torrans Manufacturing Company, a very flourishing business, owned and operated by T. L. Torrans, who is one of Jefferson’s most prominent and active citizens, and a son of W. P. Torrans. Mr. T. L. Torrans married Miss Elizabeth Schluter, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Louis Schluter, who was a very prominent lawyer in this city.
Tom Lee Torrans, Jr., a son of Mr. Torrans, is now active manager of the store. Mrs. Kelly Spearman and Louis Torrans are also children of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Torrans.
“Before the final adjournment of district court and during a short recess Saturday evening, at Jefferson, the friends of Sheriff J. M. DeWare of Marion County presented him with a Smith and Wesson forty-four caliber pistol and belt. The weapon was elaborately carved, pearl handled, inlaid with gold, and bore this inscription: ‘J. M. DeWare, Sheriff, Jefferson, Texas. From his friends, Jan. 1, 1887.’ A graceful and appropriate presentation speech was delivered by Col. McKay.”
Taken from the “Dallas and Texas fifty years ago” column in the Dallas News on Jan. 25, the story above was sent The Jefferson Journal by Ollie B. Webb, Texas and Pacific official, with the notation that “it seems to me will be of interest to many in Jefferson.”
Mr. Webb was right. As he goes on to explain, Sheriff J. M. DeWare, or Captain DeWare, as he was more generally known, was the father of J. M. DeWare, present local agent for the Texas and Pacific in Jefferson, and the Col. H. McKay mentioned, was the father of Arch McKay, now Tax Assessor-Collector.
Both were men who stood out as leaders in their time. Both they and their descendants have many friends in Jefferson.
James Jackson Rives came to Jefferson from Caddo Parish, La., before the Civil War, and established a cotton and hide business afterreturning from the war. When his son, Herbert Rives, returned from Sewanee Military Institute he joined the business of J. J. Rives and Son, which continued until the warehouse was destroyed by fire about 1902.
Rudolph Ballauf was born in Hamburg, Germany, June 30, 1832. At the age of 16 years he sought his fortune in America. Arriving at New Orleans, La., he obtained employment. Later he obtained a position with the Mallory Steamship Lines and gradually worked up to the position as interpreter. He was serving in this capacity when the war between the states was declared and he joined the Confederate Army.
He was married in 1866 to Miss Mary Louise Hottinger of New Orleans. To this union seven children were born—Lula (Mrs. D. P. Alvarez), Julia (Mrs. Asa E. Ramsey), Mamie (Mrs. I. L. Goldberg), Corine, George Henry, Emma (Mrs. Eugene Meyer), and Fred W.
Mr. Ballauf came to Jefferson in 1867, he and his wife making the trip by boat.
He opened a general merchandise on the corner of Marshall and Austin streets, later moving to Walnut and Lafayette and later to Austin street. The G. A. Kelly foundry of Kellyville was purchased by Mr. Ballauf and the material used for all manufactured articles was secured in Marion county. Mr. Ballauf operated the foundry until 1895. His mercantile business was later devoted entirely to hardware and mill machinery.
Along with Mr. Ballauf’s mercantile business a private bank was opened in 1885 and operated as “R. Ballauf and Co.” The bank was operated in the office of the store by his three daughters, Lula, Julia and Mamie.
Mr. Ballauf sold his business to his son Fred and his son-in-law Eugene Meyer in 1897, the banking business was discontinued and Mr. Ballauf retired from business having spent thirty years without a failure, assignment or compromise with creditors.
He was an active member of the General Dick Taylor Confederate Camp.
Mr. Ballauf died in 1910. The business established by him has continued through these 69 years and is today successfully operated by his grandchildren under the name of Eugene Meyer and Son.
March 3, 1843, Senator Robert Potter, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and first secretary of the Navy of the Republic, was murdered at his home on Caddo Lake.
He was born in Gainesville, North Carolina, in 1800. Served in the U. S. Navy from 1815 to 1817, then he returned home and studied law and in 1826 he moved to Halifax and practiced law. He served in thelegislature in North Carolina; was elected to the House of Representatives of the 21st United States Congress as a Jackson Democrat. His course was brilliant and improving.
His brilliancy, connected with the fact that he had been a midshipman, led to his appointment in the Cabinet of President Burnett as the first secretary of the Navy of the Republic. He was expelled from the House of Representatives of the Legislature of North Carolina for cheating at cards.
Potter later moved to a place twenty-five miles northeast of Jefferson, Texas, now known as Potter’s Point.
A feud arose between Potter and a Captain William Pickney Rose, who was known as the “Lion of the Lakes.” The feud arising from the claims that Potter had prevailed upon President Lamar to offer a reward for Rose.
The widow of Rose’s brother settled on a league of land claimed by Potter. This was intensified when Rose espoused the candidacy of John B. Denton, who was defeated for a seat in the Senate by Potter.
Potter, who lived on a bluff overlooking Caddo Lake organized a posse of about twenty-five men, surrounded the home of Rose with the intention of capturing, chastising and probably killing Rose.
Rose was near by with some slaves clearing a woodland and when he saw Potter’s men, he lay upon the ground while one of his slaves, “Uncle Jerry,” piled brush over him and effectually concealed him from view.
Foiled in their purpose, the posse returned and were followed, at a safe distance, by Preston Rose, a son of Captain Rose, who saw them disband; most of them going to Smithland, while nine went with Potter to his home. That night Rose secured “warrant for trespass” against Potter. This was placed in the hands of a Constable, who summoned a posse, consisting of Rose, Preston Rose, J. W. Scott and thirteen others to execute the warrant, as if a warrant for trespass required “the body to be taken.” They reached Potter’s home at midnight and surrounded it. At daybreak the bodyguard of Potter began to reconnoiter the premises, when Hesekiah George came suddenly upon Captain Rose. Upon being commanded to surrender he turned for flight and gave the alarm. Rose fired both barrels of his shotgun at him and although he survived the wounds he was ever afterwards known as “Old Rose’s Lead Mine.” Potter became alarmed and ran about a hundred yards to the lake. Being an excellent diver, he plunged into the water and disappeared from sight, but when he came up for air, John W. Scott killed him. He was buried on Potter’s Point.
Captain T. J. Rogers, founder of the Rogers National Bank of Jefferson, and one of Jefferson’s oldest citizens, was born in 1832, in HindsCounty, Mississippi. In 1849 he came to Texas with his father and family. In 1856 in Gilmer, Texas, he married Emily Mayberry and they moved to Jefferson, living in what is now known as the Brewer home, with the family of Dr. B. J. Terry. During the Civil War, he served in the Confederate Army in General Ochiltree’s regiment (the 18th) in General Waul’s division, as a lieutenant, later being made captain, after Captain John Cocke, brother-in-law, was killed, in the battle of Mansfield. After the war he returned to Jefferson, again engaging in the mercantile business. In 1868 he went into business for himself. He was identified with the material, civic and religious interests of Jefferson. He was one of the promoters of the East Line and Red River railroad (later a branch of the M. K. and T. railroad of Texas.) He was secretary and treasurer of this railroad until it was sold to the M. K. and T. He was also principal owner of the Jefferson Cotton Oil Mill, later selling his interests to the Jefferson Cotton Oil Company, which operated until it was burned in 1903.
In 1896 the banking business, T. J. Rogers & Son, was founded in connection with the mercantile business which was now under the name T. J. Rogers & Son, (Ben Rogers).
In 1904 T. J. Rogers & Son, bankers, was nationalized, becoming the Rogers National Bank of Jefferson, with T. J. Rogers president and B. F. Rogers active vice-president. In 1904 Herbert A. Spellings was elected cashier, which position he held until 1918 when he succeeded to the presidency by reason of the death of Capt. T. J. Rogers, in the meantime B. F. Rogers, vice president, had withdrawn active participation in the bank’s management.
Shortly after Mr. Spellings became president the bank became one of the honor banks of the United States and maintained this position to the present time, and throughout the most depressing period the banks have ever faced the Rogers National Bank of Jefferson under Mr. Spellings’ guidance maintained more than its legal reserve, willingly met the demands made upon his bank and was never embarrassed to the least extent.
When the national moratorium was declared and conservators were being appointed for the safety management of national banks. It was freely stated that the Rogers National Bank had had a conservator for many years in the person of Mr. Spellings, therefore the government would not be called upon to appoint one for that bank, and this bank was one of the first in the United States to re-open without a special examination. Mr. Spellings remained as president until the summer of 1935 when he was removed by death and was succeeded by Mr. Rogers Rainey as president. Mr. Rainey being a grandson of Capt. T. J. Rogers, and nephew of Ben F. Rogers, the founder of the bank, which is the only bank in Marion County, and an outstanding one in the State of Texas.
What is a “Roll of Honor” bank, and what does it mean to you asa depositor, or as a possible depositor, that this institution has been given that rating in the banking “hall of fame?”
A “Roll of Honor” bank is a bank that has voluntarily provided double protection for its depositors by building up its surplus and undivided profits account to a point where this reserve fund is equal to, or greater than the capital of the bank.
The laws, either National or State, do not require any bank to provide this “extra measure of safety.” As a matter of fact, the soundest banking practice and the legal requirements of some states fix 20 per cent of the bank’s capital as a sufficient reserve fund to maintain for the safety of its depositors.
But before a bank can become known as a “Roll of Honor” bank, it must voluntarily build up its surplus reserve fund to an amount at least five times the usual requirements. So severe are the requirements that only one bank in five in the entire country can qualify as a “Roll of Honor” institution.
The fact that this bank has achieved this distinction stamps it as one of the strongest institutions for its size in the whole United States.
You can see, therefore, that it does mean a great deal to you as a depositor or as a possible depositor, that this is a “Roll of Honor” bank. In addition to giving you “more than the law requires” in protection, we are only striving to give you a “double measure” of courteous and friendly service.
David Browning Culberson was born in Troupe County, Georgia, Sept. 24th, 1830; was educated at Brownwood, La., and Grange, Ca., and studied law under Chief Justice Chilton of Alabama.
He was married to Miss Eugenia Kimball, a lady of sterling character and brilliant mind. It was to her influence and encouragement that he owed a large measure of his success. To this union three children were born, Charles A., the oldest, was one year old when the family moved to Texas in 1856. Robert Owen and a daughter, Anna, were born in Texas. Robert Owen is the only surviving one. He now resides in Houston, Texas.
The Culberson family—Jim Culberson, a brother with his family and Dr. R. L. Rowell and family, and others and a large company of slaves came to Texas in covered wagons.
Dr. Rowell located in Jefferson but the Culberson brothers moved to Gilmer, Texas, where they practiced law for two years, then came to Jefferson to make their home.
Col. D. B. Culberson was elected to the State Legislature in 1859, was elected again in 1864. He was then elected to the Forty-fourth Congress and served continuously until his death.