* * * A Virginia Village * * *

PRESS OF J. H. NEWELLFALLS CHURCH, VA.1904

School HouseSchool House

Introductory1The Town of Falls Church3The Old Colonial Church33Falls Church in the Civil War62Churches and Societies, Etc.77

Mr. A. M. LothropMr. A. M. Lothrop

In preparing this little book it has been the aim of the Editor to obtain facts of the early history, as well as to set forth what changes time has wrought in the erstwhile veritable hamlet of years gone by. To this end he has exerted every effort in the examination of records, that authentic data only, in describing the old church and village, may appear in these pages. Aside from the descendants of the old settlers, the heads of many households in the village of Falls Church have left kindred and friends in other sections of the country, and identified themselves heartily in the work of developing and beautifying the natural advantages of the spot they have selected for the building of new homes. It is but natural that interest should be taken in the evidence of their thrift and enterprise, by those whose lives were linked with theirs in times past, as in the town they have helped to build up. The attempt has been to join the past with the present, in reciting incidents of the early days, to show no less the improvements that have come as the years roll on.

The joint work has been done by Messrs. Chas. A. Stewart, Pickering Dodge and George M. Newell, Mr. Stewart having collected, edited and compiled the text, Mr. Dodge the photographic work, and Mr. Newell the printing.

The Editor is indebted for courtesies and assistance to Mr. H. H. Dodge, Superintendent of Mount Vernon, a vestryman of Pohick Church, Mr. H. S. Ryer, stenographer, Mr. F. M. Richardson, Clerk of the Court, Fairfax Co., and Rev. George S. Somerville, Rector of the Falls Church. Valuable information was obtained from Howe's History of Virginia, Snowden's Old Landmarks in Virginia and Maryland, as from the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies.

M. M. O.

The Lawton HouseThe Lawton House

Introductory.

Falls Church, while a Virginia village, is thoroughly cosmopolitan. According to a recent census only about fifty per cent. of its inhabitants are natives of Virginia, the rest coming from the various States of the Union or from foreign countries.

Falls Church might properly be called a national village, since its citizens are chiefly employees of the government, and the interests of its eleven hundred people naturally center at the National Capitol.

Every geographical section of the United States has here a representative type of citizen who has chosen this quiet village for a home. For this and other reasons Falls Church is probably the most thoroughly American community in the country. This distinction, if admitted, must come as a natural sequence from its situation as a suburb of the Nation's capital, from the cosmopolitan character of its society, and from the fact that so many of its residents are connected with the Executive Departments as a part of the machinery of representative government.

The village is situated in a county of the Old Dominion rich in events of historic interest. In Colonial days, in the times of the Revolution, as in the days of the civil strife, Fairfax County furnished her quota of illustrious sons. At Gunston Hall on the Potomac dwelt George Mason, author of the Virginia Bill of Rights, pronounced the most remarkable paper of the epoch, and the foundation of the great American assertion of independence as afterward draughted by Jefferson. In Fairfax County lived and died the immortal Washington, and his ashes repose in its soil at his beloved Mount Vernon. During the late civil war every part of its territory was a battle ground and breast-works thrown up by contending armies over a generation ago may still be seen here and there within its borders. At the beginning of our war with Spain twenty-five thousand volunteer soldiers from a dozen States pitched their tents on a favored spot in this ancient county, where they were schooled to proficiency in the art of modern warfare.

The old Episcopal church, from which Falls Church takes its name, still stands as a monument linking colonial days with the present. Around it cluster memories of great events in American history, for past its substantial walls have marched soldiers of all our leading wars since the day Washington guided the lordly Braddock over the road hard by down to the time of our recent war with Spain. The old church has passed through many vicissitudes since Washington worshipped there. It served as a recruiting station for patriots of the Revolution, then abandoned as a house of worship for a long period of years; subsequently it was reopened and throughout the civil war used alternately as a hospital and a stable by the Union Army. To complete the chain of events in this connection soldiers enlisted for the Spanish-American war were encamped near by and pickets of the camp stood guard under the shadow of its walls.

Falls Church thirty years ago was a mere hamlet of, perhaps, a dozen houses. It is to-day the largest town in the county of Fairfax and its population is steadily increasing. Forces are now at work which may eventually make it the largest town in Northern Virginia, with the possible exception of Alexandria. Upon the completion of the new bridges now in course of construction across the Potomac and the improved facilities for reaching Washington by means of steam roads and trolley lines, the tide of suburban home-seekers from the capital city must turn this way, whereby this Virginia village is destined to become a Virginia city which may bind the old mother commonwealth closer than ever before to the Federal City and the National government.

Falls Church is an incorporated town of about eleven hundred inhabitants. Endowed by State law with the name of town when a mere hamlet, it is still "the village" to its citizens. It is situated on the Bluemont branch of the Southern Railway 9 miles from Alexandria, and 45 miles from Bluemont at the foot of the Blue Ridge. An electric railway connects it with Georgetown, D. C., 6 miles distant, and it is 13 miles over the Southern Railway to the business center of Washington. Located originally in Fairfax County its growing area has overlapped into the adjoining county of Alexandria, taking within its corporate limits the extreme southwestern part of what was at one time the District of Columbia.

It is essentially a village of homes, nearly all of which are set in ample grounds adorned with rare trees, well-kept lawns, and tasteful shrubbery and hedges. Its fourteen miles of streets are bordered with beautiful maples, and in summer the principal avenues are bowers of living green.

Like the National Capital in its inception, Falls Church is a town of magnificent distances. Within its corporate limits is room for ten thousand people without overcrowding.

At an altitude of 300 feet above Washington, summer days here are pleasant and summer nights cool and sleep-inducing.

The social atmosphere is most refined, and the moral tone of its citizens cannot be surpassed. No saloons have been allowed in Falls Church since its incorporation as a town thirty years ago.

The town has an excellent graded public school with a high class of instructors, besides a number of private schools. Eleven churches, including three for colored people just outside the town limits, afford ample accommodation for all church-goers within a radius of many miles. All the leading religious denominations are represented. The church edifices are most creditable for a town of its size, and two are fine examples of church architecture.

Mr. E. T. Fenwick.Mr. E. T. Fenwick.

The history of Falls Church begins with the building of the old Episcopal Church from which the place takes its name, but the town itself is of modern growth. By a strange series of coincidences the old church, as well as the town at a later period, has been in touch in various ways with the National Government since Colonial days. Washington was a vestryman and at times attended service here. It served as a recruiting office for patriots of the Revolution. Dolly Madison took the road for Leesburg leading past this church when fleeing from the White House during the panic of the British invasion. Capt. Henry Fairfax went forth with his company of Fairfax volunteers from the Falls Church to the Mexican war and his body, borne home from far Saltillo, found a resting place within its churchyard. Skirmishes between Union and Confederate troops occurred all around its walls, and during the war of '61 it served the purposes of a hospital for Union soldiers. To make the chain of incidents complete, a farm near by was chosen at the outbreak of the Spanish-American war as a training camp for United States volunteer soldiers.

Presbyterian ChurchPresbyterian Church

Few events of moment in government affairs can occur without directly affecting some resident of Falls Church, since this little town has its quota among the officers of the army and navy, in the rank and file of the army, and on the forecastle of the man-of-war, to say nothing of a full representation on the rolls of the several executive departments. When the battle ship Maine was blown up in Havana harbor two jackies from Falls Church were on board, fortunately escaping with their lives. After Aguinaldo's capture by General Funston, it was a Falls Church man who commanded the gunboat which conveyed the captive around the Island of Luzon to Manila. The brave General Lawton, killed on the firing line in the Philippine war, had so recently been a citizen of the town that his death was deplored as a personal loss by his former neighbors.

Mr. W. M. EllisonMr. W. M. Ellison

About the middle of the last century there was a large influx of settlers to Fairfax County from Northern New York and the New England States, attracted by the milder climate and the cheaper lands then offered for sale. Among the families who came aboutthat period and settled nearest the old Falls Church were the Baileys, Birches, Barretts, Coes, Ellisons, Iveses, Lounsberrys, Munsons, Osbornes, Ryers and Sherwoods—all familiar names, and many of them or their immediate descendants now prominent residents of this village.

Mr. George G. CrossmanMr. George G. Crossman

Early in the seventies two government clerks drove over the rough and hilly road from Washington and looked around the little hamlet of a dozen houses scattered along the Leesburg turnpike from the old brick church to the railroad station at West End. They were impressed with its inviting hills as the ideal situation for country residences. The excellent water from unlimited springs, the cool breezes and pleasing prospect from the hilltops overlooking hot and dusty Washington in the distance, persuaded them to make their homes in this ideal place. At that time the railroad facilities to Washington were most unpromising. The coaches were little better than the present freight car caboose, the schedule was unreliable, the trains slow, and a change of cars had to be made at the Alexandria junction. Such drawbacks did not deterthese men from carrying out their purpose of locating here. They decided to ride or drive back and forth to their work in the department at Washington. Others soon followed these pioneers, and a settlement of government employees was the result. Many of those who followed the first two pioneers were from New England. They were families for the most part endowed with all those sturdy qualities of integrity, frugality and piety, characteristic of their section, and soon the church of their fathers stood within a stone's throw of the church of the early Virginians.

Since the day our townsmen, Mr. Charles H. Buxton and Prof. W. W. Kinsley, the pioneers of modern Falls Church, first settled here, the increase of population has been slow, but it has been of steady and sterling growth. The conservatism of the land-owners has given less rapid growth than were its tone purely speculative. The population as reported by the United States census for 1890 was 792; the census of 1900 gives the population at 1007, an increase of over 27 per cent. during the ten years. The tax roll for 1903 shows property of taxable value of $420,125, an increase of $149,040 over 1890.

Virginia Training School. Miss M. Gundry, Principal.Virginia Training School. Miss M. Gundry, Principal.

Of all those who followed Messrs. Buxton and Kinsley to Falls Church, who built homes and made the little straggling settlement at the cross-roads the beautiful village it is to-day, space will not permit even a brief mention. But there are a number of well-known citizens still residing here who formed the nucleus of that "department colony" of thirty years ago, and through whose influence in great measure this village has become a settlement of government employees. Most prominent among these settlers of the 70's who are connected with the executive departments in Washington are Messrs. G. A. L. Merrifield and M. S. Roberts of the Pension Bureau, Albert P. Eastman of the War Department and George F. Rollins of the Treasury Department.

Dr. J. B. GouldDr. J. B. Gould

The rate of taxation levied by the town government is 60 cents on the hundred dollars, 30 cents of which is for school purposes and 30 cents for all expenses of the corporation. To this must be added the taxes collected by the county of Fairfax, 75 cents on the hundred dollars, making a total tax on property holders in the town of $1.35 on each one hundred dollars of the assessedvaluation. Property within the corporation is exempt from county road tax and district school tax. Property in that part of the village lying within Alexandria County is assessed in like manner by the town and the authorities of the latter county. The tax rate for Alexandria County for the year 1903 on the one hundred dollars of assessed valuation of personal and real property was: State tax, 35 cents; county levy, 40 cents, and for court-house purposes, 10 cents—a total of 85 cents chargeable to the property owners of East Falls Church, the section of the village in this county. An additional tax of 50 cents for road purposes and 40 cents for the district school is levied against taxable property in this county outside of East Falls Church.

Mr. W. H. NowlanMr. W. H. Nowlan

When scarcely entitled to be designated by the name of village, the little settlement on the Leesburg turnpike known as Falls Church was, by an act of the General Assembly of Virginia, incorporated as a town. The act in question was approved March 30, 1875, and on April 13 following the new town began its career with the following officials duly installed:Mayor, Dr. J. J. Moran; Clerk, H. J. England; Town Sergeant, E. F. Crocker; Councilmen, Dr. J. J. Moran, George B. Ives, J. E. Birch, T. T. Fowler, Isaac Crossman, J. J. Carter, Dr. L. E. Gott.

The act of incorporation was successively amended by the State Legislature in 1879, 1890 and 1894. Sections 1 and 2 of the act of incorporation as amended, approved March 2, 1894, read as follows:

Section 1.So much of the territories in the counties of Fairfax and Alexandria, together with all the improvements and appurtenances thereunto belonging, as is contained in the following boundaries, to-wit: Beginning at the corner of Alexandria and Fairfax counties, on J. C. DePutron's farm; thence to the corner of J. C. Nicholson and W. S. Patton, in Mistress Ellen Gordon's line; thence to the corner of Sewell and L. S. Abbott on the new cut road; thence to the corner of A. A. Freeman and Mrs. Henry J. England on the Falls Church and Fairfax Court House road; thence along centre of said road to centre of bridge over Holmes Run; thence easterly in a straight line to the northwest corner of the colored Methodist churchon the road leading to Annandale; thence easterly to the crossing of the Alexandria and Georgetown roads at Taylor's corner; thence along the north line of said Georgetown road to the corner of T. M. Talbott and Emma Taylor's estate; thence to a pin oak tree near Dr. L. E. Gott's spring; thence to a stone on the property of J. A. and Mrs. J. H. C. Brown, formerly the northeast corner of John Brown's barn; thence to the crossing of Isaac Grossman's and Bowen's line on the chain bridge road; thence to the place of beginning, is and shall continue forever to be a body politic and corporate under the name and style of the town of Falls Church, and shall possess and exercise the rights and powers conferred on towns by the general laws of this State and shall be subject to the restrictions and limitations imposed by said law in so far as the provisions thereof are not in conflict with the provisions of this act.

Mr. G. W. PooleMr. G. W. Poole

Sec. 2.Be it further enacted. That the government of said town shall be vested in a council of nine qualified voters, who shall be elected by ballot on the fourth Thursday in May, eighteen hundred and ninety-four; three of whom shall hold that office for one year,three for two years and three for three years respectively, the same to be determined by lot. The successors of the three whose terms expire each year shall be elected annually on the fourth Thursday in May and shall hold their offices for three years, or until their successors are duly elected and qualified. The terms of office of all councilmen shall begin on the first day of July of each year succeeding their election. Any person entitled to vote in the magisterial districts of Falls Church or Providence, in Fairfax County, or Washington magisterial district in Alexandria County, and residing in said corporation and duly registered by the town clerk, shall be entitled to vote at all elections for councilmen. The town clerk and two members of the council whose terms of office do not expire with that year, and who shall be designated by the mayor, shall conduct such election between the hours of one and seven, post meridian, and shall make return of the same to the mayor who shall issue certificates, countersigned by the clerk, to those elected. Tie votes shall be decided by lot, and contests shall be decided by the council under the law governing contests for the county offices.

Mr. G. F. McInturffMr. G. F. McInturff

Mr. M. E. ChurchMr. M. E. Church

Section five provides that the council shall annually levy and collect necessary taxes for roads, streets, school and corporation purposes, which tax for all purposes shall not exceed sixty cents on one hundred dollars without the consent of two-thirds of the resident freeholders of the corporation. An amendment gives the council the privilege of levying an additional tax of ten cents on the hundred dollars for the purpose of establishing and maintaining a high school course in Jefferson Institute, the public school, whenever requested by the town school board.

Section eight provides that the "town sergeant shall be the executive officer of the council, and shall have the authority, jurisdiction and fees of a constable of Fairfax and Alexandria counties within and one mile beyond the corporate limits. He shall, unless otherwise provided, be the town treasurer and as such shall collect all taxes, fines and licenses, and disburse the same upon the warrant of the council, signed by the mayor and clerk."

Mr. J. W. Brown, Store and ResidenceMr. J. W. Brown, Store and Residence

The same section makes the sergeant overseer of roads and streets, giving him the same powers as overseers of roads under thespecial road laws of Fairfax and Alexandria counties, his compensation to be fixed by the council.

Section nine provides that no district school tax and no district road tax shall be assessed and collected, except by the council, on any property within the corporation limits.

The last important section of the act of incorporation, which assures the peace and quiet of this village, is the restriction placed upon the liquor traffic. It reads as follows:

Sec. 10.That any person applying to the county of Fairfax or the county of Alexandria for a license to sell liquors of any kind, either as a keeper of an ordinary or eating house, or as a merchant, within the corporate limits of the town of Falls Church in the said counties, or within one mile beyond the limits of the said corporation shall produce before the courts or boards having control of the issuance of licenses for the sale of liquor of said counties a certificate of said council of said town to the effect that the applicant is a suitable person and that no good reason is known to said council why said license should not be granted. And the courts of said countiesor boards having authority shall not grant the said license to sell liquors within the limits above prescribed until and unless such a certificate be given. And under no circumstances and in no event whatever shall the sale of liquors be licensed in any part of the corporation where license for the sale thereof has been prohibited under the provisions of chapter twenty-five of the Code of Virginia, known as the local option law.

Mr. Geo. L. ErwinMr. Geo. L. Erwin

The town is divided into three wards and each ward is represented by three councilmen.

The Board of Health, appointed annually by the council, looks after the health of the town, with authority to carry out such sanitary regulations as may be deemed wise and expedient. The Board of Health for the present year consists of Dr. T. C. Quick, Chairman, and Councilmen John H. Wells and Elmer I. Crump.

The Fire Departmentof the village was organized in 1898. The officers are a chief engineer and three fire wardens, one from each ward, and a captain of the fire company. The equipment for fighting fires consists of one fifty-five and two twenty-five gallonchemical engines of the most approved pattern and one fully equipped hook and ladder truck. The larger engine is kept in the central part of the village while the two smaller ones are stationed at East Falls Church and West End respectively. The officers are Chief Engineer, Dr. J. B. Gould; Fire Wardens—1st ward, Geo. T. Mankin; 2d ward, Edgar A. Kimball; 3d ward, D. B. Patterson.

Mrs. Emma Garner.Mrs. Emma Garner.

The Village Improvement Society, an important factor in the growth and development of the village, was organized about twenty years ago. The chief object of the society has been the improvement and adornment of the streets and the fine shade trees which emborder the village thoroughfares everywhere attest the fidelity of its members to the object in view. In addition to the work of this character the society has aided in various other ways in the work of improving the village besides furnishing social entertainments for its members and friends. About fifteen hundred dollars have been raised by the society and disbursed to excellent advantage in securing substantial benefits to the public weal.

Mr. E. C. HoughMr. E. C. Hough

The Village Improvement Society was organized in the fall of1885, the first officers being Mr. W. H. Doolittle, President; Rev. D. H. Riddle, Vice-President; Mr. S. V. Proudfit, Secretary and Mr. A. P. Eastman, Treasurer.

This society was modeled after the famous Laurel Hill Society of Stockbridge, Mass., and from a pamphlet published some years ago setting forth its object we learn that its funds have been expended on roads, sidewalks and street lamps, for a survey of the corporation, a piano for the public school and other improvements at the school, for taking the census and for Arbor Day expenses—a total expenditure up to that time of about eight hundred dollars. The greater part of the money raised by the society is from voluntary dues or the proceeds of lectures or other entertainments. The funds raised in this manner are generally expended through the town council or in conjunction with appropriations made by that body.

The first observance of Arbor Day in the State was by the Falls Church Village Improvement Society, when in 1892 this society instituted the observance of the day by the public school. Since that date the society has defrayed all Arbor Day expenses.

Major M. S. HopkinsMajor M. S. Hopkins

By an ordinance of the town adopted February 8, 1904, the third Friday in April of each year is designated as Arbor Day, to be observed under the auspices of the Village Improvement Society for the planting of such trees, plants or shrubs as it may desire.

The officers of the Village Improvement Society for the present year are as follows:

President, M. E. Church; Vice-President, Franklin Noble, D. D.; Secretary, Miss Belle Merrifield; Treasurer, George W. Hawxhurst; Assistant Secretary, Dr. George B. Fadeley.

The meetings are held on the first Monday of each month, except July and August, at the homes of the different members.

On these occasions after the adjournment of the business meeting, a literary and musical programme is provided by the hostess of the evening. Aside from the matter of business, the social part of these gatherings is a distinct feature of the society, which serves to keep alive the interest of its members, bringing together congenial friends and giving "new-comers" an opportunity to become acquainted with their neighbors.

Mr. S. H. ThornburgMr. S. H. Thornburg

Pioneer Business Men.Among the most prominent business men of Falls Church who located here about the time the place was incorporated as a town, or soon thereafter, may be mentioned Mr. M. E. Church. Mr. Church is a native of Vermont, and upon settling here engaged in the drug business; he now conducts a successful real estate, loan and insurance business. He is also connected with other important commercial interests, and has been an indefatigable worker in promoting the welfare of the village.

Mr. George W. Mankin, a native of this State, was one of the early settlers in the village. He conducted a general merchandise business for a long period of years, but at present is engaged in the drug business with his son Mr. Geo. T. Mankin, under the firm name of George T. Mankin & Co. Mr. Mankin has established as high reputation as a business man and citizen as had his brother Mr. Charles Mankin, the well known dry goods merchant, but recently deceased.

Mr. Nathan BanksMr. Nathan Banks

Mr. Wm. M. Ellison, whose father was one of the early northern settlers in this community, is a successful lawyer and real estatebroker. Mr. Ellison stands high as a business man and citizen, having served his town as a councilman for many years past and as mayor of the town for several terms. He was recently re-elected councilman from the West End ward.

Among other prominent merchants who early settled here are Mr. J. W. Brown, dealer in hardware and general merchandise, and Mr. George Gaither, dealer in groceries.

Mr. Isaac Crossman, who came here from Pennsylvania soon after the civil war, purchased for farming purposes a large block of land which is now situated almost in the center of the village. The price paid was about forty dollars per acre. A large part of this land has been divided into town lots and sold. To indicate the increase in real estate values since the war, the land of this Crossman property lying nearest the northern boundary of the village sells for one thousand dollars and upward per acre.

James A. Dickinson, M. D.James A. Dickinson, M. D.

Few Old Houses.Practically all the houses of the village are modern, but there are a few old buildings of historic interest. Among these is the Lawton house, at one time the residence ofGeneral Lawton. This house was the headquarters of General Longstreet when the place was in possession of the Confederates soon after the first battle of Manassas. What was once known as the Star Tavern, now a grocery store, is a relic of by-gone days. It flourished in the days before the railroad came, and was a favorite stopping place for travelers over the road from the mountains leading past its doors to the then important mart, Alexandria. The place was kept during the civil war by W. H. Erwin, father of our townsmen Messrs. Walter, George and Munson Erwin.

The old big chimney house situated in the field opposite the Odd Fellows' Hall was built in Revolutionary times and is probably the oldest dwelling in this vicinity. It is owned by the venerable John Lynch, who was the sexton of the Episcopal Church for so many years before and after the civil war. Mr. Lynch is now a resident of Maryland.

Dr. Geo. B. FadeleyDr. Geo. B. Fadeley

The Colored Settlement.The colored people have a settlement a short distance south of the town limits, consisting of probably a hundred cottages with a population of between four andfive hundred. They have a school building and three churches and many of the little cottages and surroundings indicate industry and thrift in the occupants.

Hotels.The Falls Church Inn, where an old Virginia welcome awaits the way-farer, accommodates transient and regular boarders. Besides there is the "Evergreens," a large summer boarding place which has a high reputation. There are numerous other homes, in or near the village, where boarders are taken for the summer months.

Newspaper.Falls Church has one newspaper published weekly, called "The Falls Church Monitor." This paper was first established by Mr. E. F. Rorebeck, under the name of "The Falls Church News." Mr. M. E. Church is Editor and Mr. R. C. L. Moncure, General Manager.

Mankin PharmacyMankin Pharmacy

Excellent Natural Drainage.Four Mile Run, traversing the northeastern section of the corporation, separates the main part of the village from all that portion lying in Alexandria County and known as East Falls Church. This little stream empties into thePotomac four miles below Washington, whence its name. Where it breaks through the hills at Barcroft its water-power is used for milling purposes, as in the days when General Washington's flour mills were situated at or near the same point. The southern section of the village is drained by Holmes' Run, which empties into the Potomac just south of Alexandria. The two rapid little streams named take their rise a short distance to the west of the village and afford ample drainage for all the territory embraced within the corporation boundaries.

Railway Depots and Post-Offices.Indicating the wide extent of territory covered by Falls Church, it possesses two railway depots and three independent post-offices. The Southern Railway's East Falls Church and West End stations are one mile apart. The electric railway also has stations and ticket offices near those of the steam road. The Falls Church post office is on Broad street in the center of the village. East Falls Church post office is located at the electric railway station and West End post office at the West End steam railway station, the former being one-half mile and thelatter about one mile distant from the main office.

Mr. Charles CrossmanMr. Charles Crossman

Street Lights.The village streets are now lighted by kerosene lamps, but a movement is already on foot looking toward a better system of street lighting and it is probable that an electric light plant will be installed for that purpose within the near future.

A Bank is Needed.The organization of a bank is being considered by a number of enterprising citizens. There is already a sufficient amount of banking business transacted by the residents of the village, which is now divided among the banks located at Leesburg, Fairfax, Alexandria and Washington, to make such an institution a paying investment from the start.

The Park.Crossman Park, the densely wooded hill over which the electric road runs from East End to West End, is an attractive spot to nature lovers. Hundreds of old chestnut trees make it a favorite resort for picnic parties in summer and nut-hunters in the fall. It is altogether a charming piece of woodland without undergrowth, and needs no gravelled walks or other evidences of the hand of man to add to its present charm.

Dr. J. B. HodgkinDr. J. B. Hodgkin

Near the park may be seen the stone which marks what was at one time the western corner of the District of Columbia. It is situated on the land of Mr. S. B. Shaw and is only a few yards from his residence. On the west corner is chiseled "Virginia 1791," while on the opposite corner the words "Jurisdiction of the United States" are still quite legible.

Falls Church Telephone and Telegraph Co.The Falls Church Telephone and Telegraph Company, of which Mr. M. E. Church is President and General Manager, is connected with the lines of the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company of Washington and with the lines of the Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company.

The stations on this line include Alexandria, Arlington, Ash Grove, Bailey's Cross Roads, Ballston, Barcroft, Belaire, Bluemont, Chesterbrook, Clarendon, Chain Bridge, Colvin Run, Dunn Loring, Dranesville, East Falls Church, Fairfax, Fort Myer Heights, Glencarlyn, Hall's Hill, Herndon, Hamilton, Kenmore, Lewinsville, Langley, Leesburg, Merrifield, Oakton, Paeonian Springs, Purcellville,Round Hill, Rosslyn, Vienna, Wiehle, and West Falls Church. All stations are equipped with Long-Distance Metallic Circuit Telephones.

Mr. D. O. MunsonMr. D. O. Munson

In addition to the telephone line Falls Church has two Western Union Telegraph offices besides two express offices.

Camp Alger.Falls Church has gained a national reputation within recent years by reason of the establishment near the village of the camp for volunteer soldiers at the outbreak of the Spanish-American War. This camp was one of several of the kind established in the Southern States for the purpose of organizing an army for the invasion of Spanish territory.

The farm of Mr. C. L. Campbell, about one and a half miles southwest of the village was selected by the War Department for the army corps to be assembled nearest Washington, and as soon as the contract was signed for the lease of the property, troops from fourteen States were hurried here as fast as recruited.

Mr. Henry Crocker Mr. E. F. CrockerMr. Henry Crocker Mr. E. F. Crocker

The first troops on the ground were the District of Columbia Volunteers. They were followed by those from Pennsylvania, andlater came troops from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Kansas, Tennessee and Virginia, all forming the Second Army Corps of the Spanish-American War.

The Second Army Corps was made up of the troops assembled at Falls Church, to which Major General William M. Graham, U. S. V., was assigned by orders of May 16, 1898. General Graham assumed command May 23, 1898, announcing the official designation of the camp as "Camp Russell A. Alger."

Mr. G. W. MankinMr. G. W. Mankin

The strength of this army corps before the last of May consisted of 922 officers and 17,467 men. In June the number in camp was 1,103 officers and 26,002 men; in July the strength of the corps was 1,183 officers and 29,747 men. In August the corps consisted of 1,347 officers and 33,755 men, the highest number in this corps before disbandment at the end of the war.

By orders of May 24, the troops then on duty at this point were organized into a First Division composed of three brigades of three regiments each, and by orders of June 9, 1898, the Ninth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and 33rd and 34th Michigan Volunteer Infantry were constituted a separate brigade.

On June 9th the separate brigade mentioned was assigned as the First Brigade, 3rd Division. On August 2, 1898, a second brigade was organized composed of the First Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, and the Third Virginia Volunteer Infantry.

The First Brigade, consisting of the Massachusetts and Michigan troops, left Camp Alger for Santiago de Cuba on June 22 and 24, 1898. Troops of the Second Brigade were returned to their States for muster out on September 7 and 8, 1898.

The tents of the provost guard pitched at the electric railway terminus at East End with pickets posted at various street corners made Falls Church appear like a town under martial law. Under all the circumstances the conduct of the troops was admirable. The homes of the citizens were thrown open to the soldiers doing picket duty in the village, and the ladies of the place vied with each other in contributing to the comfort of sick soldiers at the camp.


Back to IndexNext