COLONIAL WALK NO. 2

JOHN MARSHALL, CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE UNITED STATES, 1808-1835From the original in the possession of the Law Association of PhiladelphiaPainted by Henry Inman

JOHN MARSHALL, CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE UNITED STATES, 1808-1835From the original in the possession of the Law Association of PhiladelphiaPainted by Henry Inman

JOHN MARSHALL, CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE UNITED STATES, 1808-1835

From the original in the possession of the Law Association of Philadelphia

Painted by Henry Inman

200 Arch Street, site Saint George and the Dragon Inn, built 1700, kept by Nicholas Scull, member Franklin’s “Junto,” in 1727; sheriff in 1744; he published a map of the city in 1750. Oldest Inn building standing; from 1791-93 it was kept by John Inskeep, Mayor of Philadelphia, 1800-05. Stage coaches for New York and Baltimore left here regularly.

No. 239 Arch Street,Betsy Ross House, two-story, brick, marked by tablet; now property of American Flag House and Betsy Ross Memorial Association. She made the first flag adopted by the United States, from pencil drawing by Washington, who with Robert Morris and George Ross, called on her to give the commission; the flag was accepted by Congress June 14, 1777, and is now one of the oldest flags in the world, older than those of France, Spain, Germany, Russia, Italy, and Austria. John Paul Jones was first to fly the new flag. Betsy Ross lived to be eighty-four, dying in 1836; she is buried in Mount Moriah Cemetery, where a flag continuously flies over her grave, instituted by the Sons of Veterans. Flag Day was first inaugurated in Philadelphia, 1893.

226 Race Street, site First Moravian Church, 1742-1856.

267 Race Street, site residence of Benjamin Franklin about 1749.

325 Market Street, site residence of Benjamin Franklin, where he first invented the lightning rod, about 1749-50; in 1752, first lightning rod used in the world was set up by Franklin, southeast corner of Second and Race Streets.

229 North Fourth Street, Saint George’s, oldestMethodist Church in the world, used continuously for worship; dedicated November 24, 1769.

Fourth Street above Race, St. Augustine’s Roman Catholic Church, 1796; destroyed in the riot of 1844; rebuilt in 1846.

Old St. John’s Church, Race Street between Fifth and Sixth; first English Lutheran Church in America, built 1806.

Southeast corner of Fourth and Cherry Streets, site Zion Lutheran Church (German), built 1766; in 1790 its organ was considered the finest in America.

Northeast corner of Fourth and Arch Streets, James Russell Lowell stayed here with his bride in 1845.

Southeast corner of Fourth and Arch Streets, Friends meeting-house; oldest in Philadelphia, built in 1804; since 1811 it has been used for the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Orthodox Friends, and is said to be largest in the world. (See Historic Burial Grounds.)

Southwest corner of Fourth and Arch Streets, site of residence built for William Smith, D.D., before 1762. First provost of the University of Pennsylvania.

Fourth Street, west side, below Arch, site of the Academy in 1749; beginning of the University, marked with tablet.

Southeast corner of Fifth and Arch Streets, Christ Church burial ground. (See Burial Grounds.)

Southwest corner of Fifth and Arch Streets, Free Quaker Building; tablet, inscription “By general subscription for the Free Quakers; erected in the year of our Lord 1783, and of the Empire 8.” “Fighting Quakers,” who fought in the Revolutionary War against peace principles of the sect. The Apprentices’

BENJAMIN FRANKLINFrom the collection in Independence HallPainted by B. T. Welch

BENJAMIN FRANKLINFrom the collection in Independence HallPainted by B. T. Welch

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

From the collection in Independence Hall

Painted by B. T. Welch

Library, organized 1820 in Carpenters’ Hall, for many years only free library in Philadelphia, occupied the building after 1850. Later used by the Grand Lodge of Masons.

515 Cherry Street, residence of Bass Otis in 1819, who made the first American lithograph.

528 Arch Street, site, Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery, first in Philadelphia, founded 1852; now absorbed by the University of Pennsylvania.

627 Arch Street, site, Woman’s Medical College, first in America to graduate women physicians, founded 1850.

Southeast corner of Seventh and Arch Streets, residence of David Rittenhouse in 1770.

Northwest corner of Seventh and Arch Streets, Fort Rittenhouse; residence of David Rittenhouse, 1787; treasurer of Pennsylvania.

117 North Seventh Street, site, Mikveh Israel Synagogue, built in 1747. Removed to Broad and York Streets.

37-39 North Seventh Street, first United States Mint, 1792. David Rittenhouse, superintendent.

Southeast corner of Sixth and Market Streets, site of Robert Morris residence; next to it, on Market Street, 530-536, site of President Washington’s mansion and John Adams, second President; originally built for Richard Penn.

700 Market Street, Penn National Bank. House where Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence.

801 Market Street, site, office of Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State.

About 808 Market Street, site, residence of Thomas Jefferson, in 1791.

15 South Seventh Street, Franklin Institute, founded 1824; classic architecture, marble; John Haviland, architect.

1. Continental Hotel. 2. Post Office. 3. Walnut Street Theatre. 4. Musical Fund Hall. 5. Potter House. 6. Jewish Cemetery. 7. Pennsylvania Hospital. 8. Morris House. 9. Holy Trinity R. C. Church. 10. Washington Square. 11. The Anthenaeum. 12. St. Mary’s R. C. Church. 13. Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church. 14. St. Peter’s P. E. Church. 15. Market. 16. Site Blue Anchor Inn. 17. Site Slate Roof House. 18. Stock Exchange. 19. St. Paul’s P. E. Church. 20. Girard Bank. 21. St. Joseph’s R. C. Church. 22. Contributionship Fire Insurance. 23. Dispensary.

1. Continental Hotel. 2. Post Office. 3. Walnut Street Theatre. 4. Musical Fund Hall. 5. Potter House. 6. Jewish Cemetery. 7. Pennsylvania Hospital. 8. Morris House. 9. Holy Trinity R. C. Church. 10. Washington Square. 11. The Anthenaeum. 12. St. Mary’s R. C. Church. 13. Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church. 14. St. Peter’s P. E. Church. 15. Market. 16. Site Blue Anchor Inn. 17. Site Slate Roof House. 18. Stock Exchange. 19. St. Paul’s P. E. Church. 20. Girard Bank. 21. St. Joseph’s R. C. Church. 22. Contributionship Fire Insurance. 23. Dispensary.

Southeast corner of Ninth and Chestnut Streets, site, Cook’s Museum and Circus; first mummies brought to the United States are said to have been shown here.

Northwest corner of Ninth and Chestnut Streets,United States Post Office, built in 1884 on site ofthe Mansion House, built for the official residence of President Washington, but never occupied; used for the University of Pennsylvania. Bronze statue of Benjamin Franklin, sculptor, John Boyle; Chestnut Street front, inscription by Washington: “Venerated for Benevolence, admired for Talent, esteemed for Patriotism, beloved for Philanthropy”; bronze bust, President McKinley in corridor; sculpture group on roof by D. C. French.

Northeast corner of Ninth and Sansom Streets, site,Chinese Museum; later, in 1835, Peale’s Museum; exhibitions by the Franklin Institute were held here.

Northeast corner of Ninth and Walnut Streets,Walnut Street Theatre, built in 1808; oldest theatre in the United States.

808 Locust Street,Musical Fund Hall, built in 1824; oldest building in Philadelphia in continuous use as a hall; Dr. Charles H. Jarvis conducted classical soirées here before the Academy was built; has fine acoustic properties; it is on the site of the Fifth Presbyterian Church, which was moved to Tenth and Arch Streets.

260 South Ninth Street,Potter House, built 1812; Joseph Bonaparte lived here two years; the cartoons, “Birth of Psyche,” brought by him from Versailles, still form the mural decorations of the banquet hall.

Northeast corner of Spruce and Darien Streets, below Ninth,Jewish Cemetery, founded 1740; Rebecca Gratz, heroine in Scott’s “Ivanhoe,” is buried near the entrance.

225 South Eighth Street,Morris Mansion, built 1787; typical colonial model.

Eighth and Pine Streets,Pennsylvania Hospital, founded, 1751, by Dr. Thomas Bond and Benjamin Franklin; Georgian. Contains Benjamin West’s famous painting “Christ Healing the Sick”; woman with white head shawl is said to be likeness of West’s mother.

715 Spruce Street, residence of Nicholas Biddle in 1820; now used by the American Roman Catholic Society.

705 Locust Street, residence of E. L. Davenport, tragedian.

Southwest corner of Seventh and Locust Streets, site where Dr. Horace Howard Furness began his great variorum edition of Shakespeare.

618 Locust Street, residence of John W. Forney, journalist.

Southwest corner of Seventh and Walnut Streets, oldest Savings Bank in America; established 1816, by Mr. Condy Raguet with twelve directors; classic adaptation; Furness, Evans and Company, architects; among the oil portraits to be seen there are Lewis Wain and John C. Lowber, by Thomas Sully; G. Colesberry Purves, by William M. Chase, and Condy Raguet, artist unknown.

Southeast corner of Seventh and Chestnut Streets, site, residence of George Clymer, signer of the Declaration of Independence.

708 Chestnut Street, site, residence of Jared Ingersoll, signer of the United States Constitution; later, residence George M. Dallas, Vice-President of the United States. Opposite, on Chestnut Street below Eighth, eastern end of Green’s Hotel, site,residence of Thomas Fitzsimmons, signer of the United States Constitution.

632 Chestnut Street, site of Waln mansion.

615-17-19 Chestnut Street, site,The Arcade, built in 1826; thePublic Ledgerissued its first number here March 25, 1836.

605 Chestnut Street, bronze tablet front, inscription: “Site of FirstChestnut Street Theatre, 1793-1855. ‘Hail! Columbia,’ composed by Joseph Hopkinson, first sung here, April 25, 1798, by Gilbert Fox. Fanny Elssler danced here in 1840; Jenny Lind sung, in 1850; Charlotte Cushman acted, in 1851; erected by The City Historical Society of Philadelphia.”

Northwest corner of Sixth and Ranstead Streets, above Chestnut, site, TheFalstaff Hotel, from 1814-16; First City Troop met here.

130 South Sixth Street, site, residence Thomas G. Wharton; birthplace in 1824 of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

Southwest corner of Sixth and Walnut Streets, Curtis Publishing Company, on site of the Ludwig Building, a school erected by Christopher Ludwig, “Baker General” of the Revolution; see Architecture.

Southeast corner of Sixth and Walnut Streets, site,Walnut Street Gaol, 1775-1838; extended nearly to Fifth Street; in the rear, fronting Locust Street, then Prune Street, was the debtors’ prison; Judge William Moore, also Provost William Smith, were confined here, in 1758, for publishing so-called seditious pamphlets on patriotism; the students went there to recite their lessons to him; Robert Morris,financier of the Revolution, was in prison here, in 1797, for debts incurred in a large private transaction; first successful balloon ascension in America was from the gaol yard, by J. P. Blanchard, French aëronaut, January, 1793.

Sixth to Seventh Streets, on Walnut,Washington Square, patented by William Penn, 1704-05, as burial ground for strangers; hundreds of Revolutionary soldiers were buried here, also victims of the great yellow fever epidemic in 1793; in early times colored slaves gathered here to sing their native songs, and give wild African dances among the graves; named Washington Square by Councils, May, 1825, and improved for public use; monument to the Washington Grays, bronze, life-size figure of a private in original uniform.

215 South Sixth Street, site, residence of Hon. James Campbell, United States Postmaster General, appointed by President Pierce.

219 South Sixth Street, TheAthenaeum of Philadelphia, founded, 1813, by students from the University, for a circulating library; first president, William Tilghman, Chief Justice of Pennsylvania; the Law Library was there many years, while Courts were Sixth and Chestnut Streets; was great chess center; architect, John Notman.

245 South Sixth Street, site, residence Commodore Barry, who succeeded John Paul Jones as head of the American Navy.

Locust Street below Sixth, south side, site,Prune Street Theatre; “Home Sweet Home” was sung here for the first time in America.

Northwest corner of Sixth and Spruce Streets,Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, built, 1739; circular building, alternate red and black bricks; body of Stephen Girard was buried here for many years; later removed to Girard College.

144-54 South Fifth Street, site, Free Quaker Cemetery.

127 South Fifth Street, site,Philadelphia Dispensary, oldest in United States; founded by Dr. Benjamin Rush in 1786; now merged with Pennsylvania Hospital.

Northeast corner of Fourth and Walnut Streets, residence General Stephen Moylan, military secretary to Washington; Muster Master General of the Continental Army in 1775.

South side Walnut Street, above Fourth. John Marshall, Chief Justice of the United States, died here July 6, 1835.

Willing’s Alley, south of Walnut Street, east of Fourth,St. Joseph’s Church; built in 1731; oldest Roman Catholic Church in Philadelphia; has painting, “Hagar and Ishmael,” by Benjamin West; Washington is said to have been first referred to as “The Father of his Country” by the priest, in his sermon after Washington’s death; Lancaster County makes the same claim.

309 Walnut Street, site, last residence of Bishop White.

212 South Fourth Street,Philadelphia Contributionship for the Insurance of Houses from Loss by Fire, oldest fire-insurance company in America, founded 1752, by Benjamin Franklin;known as “The Hand-in-Hand,” from its seal; Classic architecture, built, 1835; portraits, Horace Binney by Thomas Sully; painted in 1837, and by George B. A. Healy in 1857; Dr. Charles Willing and Hon. John Welsh by Bernard Uhle; James Lewis Smith by Henry Inman; William Sellers and Ellis Yarnall by Percy Bigland, English; Alexander Biddle, Sydney P. Hutchinson and John T. Morris by Vonnoh; James S. Smith, 2d, by Van Morcken.

218-22 South Fourth Street, site, Edward Shippen mansion; President, Provisional Council, and First Mayor of Philadelphia; his daughter, Peggy Shippen, was married to Benedict Arnold.

Southwest corner of Fourth and Prune Streets, or Locust, residence of Dr. Caspar Wistar, in 1799; the garden extended to St. Mary’s churchyard; is now headquarters of the Philadelphia Chapter No. 2 of Colonial Dames.

244-50 South Fourth Street,St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, built, 1763, has a fine pieta by Boucher; in the graveyard are the tombs of Commodore Barry and of Thomas Fitzsimmons, members Continental Congress.

338 Spruce Street, residence, Joseph Hopkinson, born 1770, died 1842; author of “Hail! Columbia,” 1798; it was called “The President’s March,” and always sung when Washington held state events; music by Henry Roth; he also wrote “The Battle of the Kegs.”

Southwest corner of Fourth and Pine Streets,Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church, brick, rough cast; classic; porch with Corinthian columns; built,1857; graveyard is on both sides; east portion belongs to First Church, west to Old Pine.

Southwest corner of Leithgow Street, above Fourth and South Streets,South Street Theatre, 1766-1821; now used as a business building.

East side of Leithgow Street, west of Fourth, between South and Bainbridge Streets, site,Apollo Street Theatre, 1811.

Spruce to Pine Streets, Third to Fourth, site,Old Almshouse, 1731, andPhiladelphia Hospital, 1732.

Northwest corner of Third and Lombard Streets, residence ofCharles Willson Peale, 1741-1827.

Southwest corner of Third and Pine Streets,Saint Peter’s Church, built, 1761; in the Churchyard are the tombs of Rev. Jacob Duché and Charles Willson Peale, artist, 1741-1827; it is often said, “To belong to old Philadelphia Society one must have an ancestor who entered Paradise through Saint Peter’s graveyard”; (see Churches).

Northwest corner of Third and Pine Streets, site, residence of Colonel John Nixon, who read the Declaration of Independence.

Northeast corner of Third and Pine Streets, site, residence of Rev. Jacob Duché; later, British Military Hospital.

224 Pine Street, site, residence, Mayor John Stamper, 1760; Governor John Penn died here. “His funeral was very great, making quite a crowd.”

237 DeLancey Street, above Pine, site, residence of Horace Binney, the great lawyer.

About 260 South Third Street, site, Bingham residence; later, in 1828, Joseph Head’sMansion House,known as the most sumptuous inn in America; John Quincy Adams stayed here in 1811; Pennsylvania Society of the Cincinnati gave a dinner in 1811, celebrating the unveiling of a monument to General Wayne; “Sons of Washington” held their annual dinner here on Washington’s Birthday; French citizens gave a dinner in 1830, Peter Du Ponceau presiding, in popular demonstration after the French Revolution of the overthrow of Charles X.

256 South Third Street, site, “Washington Hall,” built, 1814; erected by the Washington Benevolent Society; here General Andrew Jackson was fêted and dined, in February, 1819; Lafayette attended a dinner in 1824 given to Richard Rush, envoy to England from the United States, afterward member of Adams Cabinet; second Horticultural Exhibition was held in 1830.

244 South Third Street, residence of Samuel Powell, Mayor of Philadelphia, 1775-89; fine colonial architecture; many functions were held here during the Revolution; Washington celebrated his twentieth wedding anniversary here, January 6, 1779.

228 South Third Street, site, Thomas Willing residence, in 1746.

217-31 South Third Street,St. Paul’s Protestant Episcopal Church, built, 1761; Headquarters of Philadelphia City Mission; Edwin Forrest, tragedian, is buried in the graveyard; (see Churches).

Southeast corner of Dock and Moravian Streets, below Walnut, publisher’s office ofBurton’s Gentleman’s Magazine, while Edgar Allan Poe was editor.

Southeast corner of Third and Walnut Streets, site,residence of Alexander Hamilton, and site of Fort Wilson, residence of James Wilson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

301 Walnut Street, site, residence of Dr. Benjamin Rush, in 1791, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

307 Walnut Street, site, residence of Judge Richard Peters.

Back part of Walnut Court, between 314-318 Walnut Street, site, Friends’ Almshouse, 1713-1841.

Southeast corner of Third and Pear Streets (now Chancellor), Robert Bell’s bookstore; Bell’s imprints are sought by collectors.

116-120 South Third Street,Girard National Bank, oldest banking building in America; Stephen Girard, financier of the War of 1812, bought it in 1812; it was his office until his death, December 26, 1831.

114 South Third Street, site,Jay Cooke’s Banking House, financier of the Civil War.

Sansom Street, formerly Lodge Street, above Second; first successful locomotive, Old Ironsides, built in America was made by Matthias Baldwin in 1828.

Northwest corner of Second and Sansom Streets, site, residence of William Logan, 1750-60.

Southeast corner of Second and Sansom Streets, site,Slate Roof House, 1698-1867, built for William Penn; his son John was born here, January 29, 1700; sold to William Trent, founder of Trenton, in 1803, for eight hundred and fifty pounds; General Forbes, Governor of Pennsylvania, died here. “His funeral was of great splendor.”

121 South Second Street, site, residence of Robert Fulton, artist and engineer.

123 South Second Street, site, residence of Captain Joseph Anthony; Assembly met here in 1828-30.

Back of 145-47 South Second Street, site of Indian reservation.

Second Street, southeast corner of Little Dock Street, site, Loxley House in 1720; Lydia Darrach is supposed to have lived here; Benjamin Franklin used the front door key in electricity experiment with a kite.

Water Street, between Walnut and Dock Streets, Hamilton’s Wharf.First Assembly Ballswere held here, in a large room, about 1740.

Second and Pine Streets,Second Street Market, built, 1745.

200 Pine Street, site, residence of Charles Elias Boudinot.

South Street from South Street, corner of American, between Second and Third Streets, inscription on corner house: “In this street was birthplace of Edwin Forrest; Commodore Joseph Cresson; Alexander Wilson; and Joel B. Sutherland, first President of the Society of 1812.”

Second Street below South, west side,Southwark Bank, built, 1825.

30 South Street, site, Plumsted House;Mason and Dixon’s Observatorywas near here.

Front and Pine Streets; probable site of the Penny Pot House.

Northwest corner of Front and Dock Streets, probable site of theBlue Anchor Inn, in 1682, where William Penn first landed in Philadelphia.

Architecture should comprise beauty, fitness, and stability. It is classified by various styles from the past, necessarily developed by modern characterists. Eras of great national vigor invariably express themselves architecturally, by means of great scale. To illustrate, the Pyramids at Gizeh and the great temple at Karnak mark the zenith of Egyptian civilization; the Parthenon echoes the halcyon days of Greece; Imperial Rome boasted the Baths of Caracalla and the Colosseum; the glorious Renaissance in Italy culminated in the grandeur of St. Peter’s Church; and the consecration and craftsmanship of Gothic builders crashed to earth with the lofty vaulting of Beauvais. Also consider, in chronological order, the buildings of our own time, they present a mute record of the ever-increasing virility of the nation; in the lacelike tower of the Woolworth Building, piercing the blue heaven for a thousand feet, we read the tremendous advance and limitless possibilities of the country whose dreams become realities. Among the earlyColonialorGeorgianbuildings are,Carpenters’ Hall, Chestnut Street below Fourth;Christ Church, Second Street above Market;Hamilton Mansionin Woodlands Cemetery, Thirty-ninth Street and Woodland Avenue;Independence Hall, group, Chestnut Street between Fifth and Sixth;Old Swedes’ Church(Gloria Dei), Swanson Street near Front and Christian Streets;Pennsylvania Hospital, Eighth and Pine Streets;St. Peter’s Church, Third and Pine Streets.

Egyptian.Synagogue Adath-Jeshurum, Broad and Diamond Streets; Indiana limestone; architects, Thomas, Churchman, and Molitor.

Classic.Academy of Music, Broad and Locust Streets. Interior classic; brick; built, 1850; architects, LeBrun & Runge; the audience room is very large, modeled after celebrated opera houses in Europe; plan of the balconies is now considered obsolete, but the general effect is undeniably fine, and has a flavor of the Second Empire.Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul, Logan Square; brownstone, built about 1860; architects, Napoleon LeBrun for the building, John Notman for the façade; it is impressive and dignified.United States Custom House, Chestnut Street below Fifth; architect, John Haviland.Girard College, Corinthian and Girard Avenues; architect, Thomas U. Walters; modeled after the Parthenon.Girard National Bank, 116 South Third Street; portico of the Third Street front is Corinthian, studied from the Parthenon and Temple of Saturnus; it stands on a stylobate, elevated above the pavement by steps on three sides, which gives it emphasis and dignity, and marks it as the feature of approach to the building; this portico is flanked on either side by a pavilion of pilasters, of the same character as the columns of the portico, the space between the pilasters being pierced with windows which are adorned with architraves and cornices supported by carved brackets; the pilasters and columns are surmounted by a cornice pediment and balustrade of great elegance of detail and proportion, studied from the best class of Roman antique work; the tympanum of the pediment is enriched bythe date of the erection, 1795, and the American eagle in bas-relief carving, of excellent modeling; from the pavement to the apex of the portico is fifty-six feet; entire front is of Pennsylvania blue marble; the building was erected for the Bank of the United States in 1797, and followed closely the lines of the Dublin Exchange; architect, Samuel Blodgett; marble work was done by Claudius LeGrand in his yard at Tenth and Market Streets; this was the first building in Philadelphia to be erected with portico and pillars; in 1901, it was carefully renovated by James H. Windrim.Girard Trust Company, northwest corner of Broad and Chestnut Streets, built in 1908; architects, McKim, Mead & White, New York; Furness & Evans, Philadelphia; has steel frame and Gustavino dome faced with white marble; while the form of this building was probably suggested by the Pantheon at Rome, details of the order are rather Greek, and the colonetts, forming the mullions of the windows, suggest the Certosa di Pavia.Ridgway Library, South Broad and Christian Streets, Doric; built, 1880; granite; architect, Addison Hutton.Old Stock Exchange, Second, Walnut and Dock Streets, white marble; has semicircular Corinthian colonnade, and lantern modeled after the Temple of Lysicrates; architect, William Strickland.St. Patrick’s Church, Twenty-first and Locust Streets, Roman; classic; brick and granite; built, 1913; architects, LaFarge & Morris, New York; façade of this church is big in conception, full of dignity and repose, and forms a most successful termination to the vista when viewed from Rittenhouse Street.United States Mint, Seventeenth and Spring Garden Streets, built, 1898; light gray granite; architect, James Knox Taylor.

Moorish.Horticultural Hall, Fairmount Park; built, 1876; architect, Herman J. Schwarzmann.Rodeph Shalom Synagogue, Mt. Vernon and North Broad Streets.

Byzantine.First Baptist Church, Seventeenth Street above Chestnut, stone; Edgar V. Seeler, architect.Jacob Reed’s Sons, store, 1424 Chestnut Street, brick, marble, and tile; built, 1904; Price & McLanahan, architects; façade is one of the most interesting in the city; the column caps are symbolic of the business conducted therein, as is also the tile work on the intrados of the arch, which depicts the shearing and manufacturing of wool and has the richness of an Oriental rug.

Gothic.Academy of the Fine Arts, Broad and Cherry Streets, Venetian polychrome Gothic, brick, limestone, and tile; architects, Furness & Hewitt; façade is interesting, as the most prominent example of the Venetian Gothic style, used in Philadelphia in the latter part of the nineteenth century.Broad and Arch Streets Methodist Episcopal Church, white marble.St. Clement’s Protestant Episcopal Church, Twentieth and Cherry Streets, Norman; built, 1857; brownstone; architect, John Notman; later improvements; new roof; apse; Lady chapel and parish buildings by Horace Wells Sellers.St. James’ Protestant Episcopal Church, Twenty-second and Walnut Streets, English decorated Gothic, with sculptured band around the tower; Ohio green sandstone and granite; architect, G. W. Hewitt.St. Luke’sProtestant Episcopal Church, Germantown Avenue and Coulter Street, granite and limestone; architect, Richard Upjohn of New York, who first used the principles of Gothic architecture in America; rectory, St. Margaret’s Home, parish house, and the rood screen in the church are by Cope & Stewardson; organ screen is by Pierson.St. Mark’s Protestant Episcopal Church, Locust Street below Seventeenth, early decorated Gothic; brownstone; architect, John Notman; later improvements include the Lady chapel, architects, Cope & Stewardson.Second Presbyterian Church, Twenty-first and Walnut Streets, French, with early English details; resembles the Parish Church in Norfolk, England; architect, Henry Sims.St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church, Tenth Street above Chestnut, early Gothic, with two octagonal towers; stone; interior decorated by Frank Furness; rich and unusual color.South Memorial Church of the Advocate, Eighteenth and Diamond Streets, French; architect, C. M. Burns; built, 1897; interior profusely adorned with carving; windows by Clayton & Bell.

Romanesque.Church of St. Francis de Sales, Roman Catholic, Forty-seventh Street and Springfield Avenue, brick and terra cotta; Gustavino dome and mosaic, a very beautiful example of the style; built, 1912; architect, Henry D. Daggit.Holy Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church, Nineteenth and Walnut Streets, Norman, brownstone; architect, John Notman.Masonic Temple, Broad and Filbert Streets, Norman with elaborately carved porch; gray granite; built about 1870; architect, James H. Windrim.Church of the Saviour, Protestant Episcopal, Thirty-eighth Street, north of Chestnut Street, Norman; architect, Charles M. Burns; the half dome and apse are decorated by Edwin H. Blashfield; said to be one of the finest examples of mosaic work in this country; alms boxes and reredos, designed by the late James Warner, are also of considerable interest.

Renaissance.Art Club, southwest corner of Broad and Chancellor Streets, Italian and French influences; brick and Indiana limestone; architect, Frank Miles Day.City Hall, open daily, 9.00A.M.to 3.00P.M., Broad and Market Streets, on site of Penn Square, formerly Centre Square, on which was a Friends’ meeting-house in 1685; Rochambeau’s Encampment, 1781; Wayne’s Encampment, 1794; and the first city waterworks in 1801; this is the largest single building in America; covers four and a half acres, French, begun in 1871, white marble with granite base; built in the form of a hollow square, with passageways connecting both Market and Broad Streets; contains 662 rooms; the tower, on the north center, about 550 feet high, is surmounted by a colossal bronze statue of William Penn; center and corner pavilions have attic stories, and hanging stairs of polished granite; architect, John McArthur, Jr.; chief points of interest are the council chambers; mayor’s reception room, with portraits of Philadelphia mayors; and state court rooms; from the roof is an excellent view of the city. To Alexander Milne Calder, Philadelphia is indebted for the applied sculpture, the artistic feature of the building, many scores of figures, symbolic of the history of this nation

CAPTAIN NICHOLAS BIDDLEIn the Tower Gallery of City HallAlexander Milne Calder, Sculptor

CAPTAIN NICHOLAS BIDDLEIn the Tower Gallery of City HallAlexander Milne Calder, Sculptor

CAPTAIN NICHOLAS BIDDLE

In the Tower Gallery of City Hall

Alexander Milne Calder, Sculptor

and the world, fine types of Indians, and other races; the negro heads being known among artists as the best of their kind; ornamentation symbolic of music, art, science, and commerce, is used as an integral part of this great public edifice, an inherent factor in true decoration, where it comes into its own, as well as in gardens, parks, boulevards, and plazas. Statues outside, on City Hall pavement, are, General John F. Reynolds, by Rogers; General McClellan; the Pilgrim by Saint Gaudens; the Quaker by Giuseppe Donato; Stephen Girard and John Wanamaker by J. Massey Rhind; Joseph Leidy, M.D.; President McKinley, and John C. Bullitt.College of Physicians, Twenty-second Street, above Chestnut, English; built, 1910; architects, Cope & Stewardson.Dropsie College, Broad Street below York, French; architects, Pitcher & Tachau.Hamilton Court, Thirty-ninth and Chestnut Streets, Italian; steel frame faced with brick and limestone; an apartment house built around an open court, recalling very strongly, both in color and detail, the earlier Venetian palaces.Memorial Hall, Fairmount Park, German, granite; built, 1876; architect, Herman J. Schwarzmann; one of the best designed monumental buildings in the city.Union Leagueaddition, Fifteenth and Sansom Streets, Italian; steel frame, faced with limestone; built, 1912; architect, Horace Trumbauer: a very dignified and restrained elevation, suggestive of a Roman palace.

Spanish.The First Church of Christ Scientist, Walnut Street above Fortieth; architects, Carrere & Hastings.Pennsylvania Institute for theInstruction of the Blind, Overbrook; Spanish mission; architects, Cope & Stewardson.

English.Mellor, Meigs and Howe Office, 205 South Juniper Street, rough brick; architects, Mellor & Meigs.

The Athenaeumof Philadelphia, 219 South Sixth Street; architect, John Notman; has best points of work done in 1850, showing traditions of the past, with developments and characteristics of its own; interior has a most beautiful reading room.The University Buildings, from Thirty-fourth to Fortieth Streets, Walnut Street to Woodland Avenue, add much to the architectural attraction of West Philadelphia; entrances to the campus, near the dormitories, are fine Tudor gateways, wrought iron, with brick and stone piers. (See University of Pennsylvania.) Hon. James Arthur Balfour said in 1917, “The Americans build Brobdignagian cathedrals, and use them for office buildings.”The Skyscrapers.Adelphia Hotel, Thirteenth and Chestnut Streets, Italian Renaissance, brick and terra cotta; built, 1914; architect, Horace Trumbauer; the arabesque detail on lower stories of the façade, and pattern formed by projecting bricks, on the stories above, are worthy of notice; interiors are pleasing and architecturally correct.Bell Telephone, a Parkway building, corner of Seventeenth and Arch Streets; height above ground 273 feet; stone; with interesting façade; architect, John T. Windrim.Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, southwest corner Broad and Walnut Streets, French Renaissance; steel frame, faced with terra cotta; architects, Hewitt Bros. Most beautifully proportioned and artisticbusiness building in Philadelphia.Bourse, Fourth to Fifth Streets, below Market; adaptation of the François Premier; with fine feeling of dignity, in placing within the broad paving; architects, Hewitt Bros.Bulletin Building, Juniper and Filbert Streets, French; steel frame, faced with terra cotta; architect, Edgar V. Seeler.Curtis Publishing Company, Sixth and Walnut Streets, modern adaptation of Georgian; steel frame, faced with white marble and brick; built, 1910; architect, Edgar V. Seeler; faces Independence Square, and although thoroughly modern, harmonizes perfectly, both in color and design, with the historic Georgian group, of which Independence Hall is the center, and adds to the quiet colonial atmosphere of the Square; interior is excellently designed; entrance, lobby, editorial offices, and the employes’ dining room being of particular interest. Mechanical equipment is the finest of its kind in the world, producing an average of 5,558,600 complete paid for publications per issue of theLadies’ Home Journal,Saturday Evening Post, andThe Country Gentlemanfor six months ending June 30, 1924. Twenty original paintings, and the mosaic “The Dream Garden,” by Maxfield Parrish, a mural made of Tiffany favrile glass, the work proceeded through an entire year, in the Tiffany Studios, where each piece of glass was fired under the personal supervision of Mr. Tiffany and Mr. Briggs; time can never impair its freshness, color, or luminosity. Visitors will be shown the entire plant daily, except Saturdays and Sundays, between 9.00A.M.and 5.00P.M.Farm Journal, Seventh Street and WashingtonSquare, Georgian; colonial brick and Indiana limestone; architects, Bunting & Shrigley.Harrison Building, Fifteenth and Market Streets, François Premier; built, 1895; architects, Cope & Stewardson; an unusual example of well-studied, though elaborate Renaissance detail; notice the graceful roof, recalling the charming chateaux along the Loire.Land Title Building, southwest corner of Broad and Chestnut Streets, modern adaptation of classic; steel frame, faced with gray granite and brick; architects, D. H. Burnham & Co., Chicago; contrast the scale of the order, in the newer portion of the building on Broad Street entrance, with the insignificant order in the old building.Manufacturers’ Club, Broad and Walnut Streets, Italian Renaissance; built, 1914; steel frame, faced with limestone; architects, Simon & Bassett; has a handsome façade, crowned by a daring Florentine cornice; interior unusually interesting in detail.Racquet Club, Sixteenth Street below Walnut, Georgian; colonial brick, marble trimmings; architect, Horace Trumbauer.Real Estate Trust Building, southeast corner of Broad and Chestnut Streets, Renaissance; architect, Edgar V. Seeler.Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Broad and Walnut Streets, modern adaptation, style of the Adam Brothers; built, 1912; steel frame, faced with colonial brick and Indiana limestone; architects, Warren & Wetmore, New York, Horace Trumbauer, Philadelphia, associate. The keynote of this structure is refinement and good taste; a recognition of the fact that commercialism and good architecture are by no means incompatible.Stephen Girard Building,Twelfth and Girard Streets, modern adaptation of Greek classic; built about 1894; steel frame, faced with brick and marble; architect, John T. Windrim; details of this building are interesting; note the bronze caryatid figures which support the heads of the second story windows; the wrought iron gates to the court on Girard Street rank with the best modern wrought ironwork in the city.Wanamaker Store, Chestnut, Market, Juniper, and Thirteenth Streets, modern adaptation of Italian Renaissance, built, 1910; steel frame, with light gray granite; architects, D. H. Burnham & Co., Chicago; exterior of this store is one of the finest in the city, it is simple, dignified, and impressive, without being monotonous; the great scale of the Doric order at the base, the severe wall treatment, and the splendid cornice, combine to express a purity and loftiness seldom equaled in commercial buildings; a guide may be had, upon application, who will conduct visitors through the entire building including the kitchens.West Philadelphia High School, Forty-sixth and Walnut Streets, Tudor Gothic; rough brick and Indiana limestone; built, 1913, by the City Architect.Widener Memorial Homefor crippled children, Broad Street and Olney Avenue, Georgian, built, 1906; Harvard brick and marble trimmings; architect, Horace Trumbauer; has a very beautifully designed wrought iron gateway.

To make a “City Beautiful” is to give it wide streets, lined with handsome buildings and houses, plenty of parks, boulevards, and to rid it of rows upon rows of semi-shanty premises, small, ill-kept, and unattractive. Each new building that is put up within the city limitsshould, in its arrangements and architecture, help toward making the locality in which it is erected more attractive than at the present time. This idea has been carried out in theCarnegie Free Librarybuildings, scattered about within the limits of the municipality, as their varied exteriors are very distinguished, from an architectural point. The interiors are designed to avoid the multiplication of corridors; principal rooms used for reading, the art and reference rooms, are stately and fine.

An interestingGatewayis the entrance to theManheim Cricket Club, Germantown, Georgian; consisting of massive brick piers, surmounted by stone caps, connected at the top with a wrought iron supporting lantern, below which are the heavy wrought iron central gates; this, with smaller gateways, and a most attractive brick wall, forms the enclosure for the grounds; architects, McKim, Mead & White.

Philadelphia being the seat of government of colonial times, is extremely rich in historic portraits. They are in The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts; Independence Hall; Historical Society of Pennsylvania; Carpenters’ Hall; American Philosophical Society; Pennsylvania Hospital; Academy of Natural Science; The Library Company of Philadelphia; Mercantile Library; College of Physicians; United States Mint; University of Pennsylvania; many banks and insurance companies.

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Broad Street above Arch; open free daily, 9.00A.M.to 5.00


Back to IndexNext