decorative banner
Jamaica, calledSt. JagobyColumbus, and was altered by KingJamesII. it being a Compound of his Name, andCaan Island. The chief Town is calledSt. Jago de la Vega(by theEnglish,Spanish-Town.) Here the Governor resides; Courts are held, and the Assembly (chose as atBarbados) meet to enact Laws for the civil Government of the Island; which consequentlydraws the greatest Resort of People, on account either of Business or Pleasure.
It was built about 1590, plunder’d by someEnglishPrivateers under oneJackson, in 1638, and in 1657 the whole Island was reduced byPenandVenables: The favourite Families of those Days, (Bradshaws,Iretons,Axtells,) I believe, sharing the Estates; so warm a Climate with Hurricanes, Earthquakes, and dry Belly-achs, was a due Preparation. This Town ofSt. Jagois irregular, and low built, to secure it against Storms; even the Governor’s, or what they call the King’s House, is but a Ground Floor, and makes one side of a Quadrangle, with a Parade, where all Gentlemen meet to transact their Business; the Merchants and Factors for distant Planters, and the Officers civil and military, do together make a considerable Number, dividing in the Evenings to Parties of Dancing, Gaming, or Drinking, and generally to a publick House, to avoid the Obligation of Returns and Treats, very costly in this Country.
Kingston, at the upper End ofPort-RoyalHarbour, the Place of lading and unlading almost all Ships to and from the Island; is in my eye, preferable to the former. The Streets are wide, and more regular, to face the Sea-Breezes, and the cross Streets at right Angles, that the Air may have as little Interruption as possible; a Convenience that cannot be too much meditated in so hot aClimate: for the Land-Breezes failing betimes in the Morning, you have it excessively hot; all Creatures languish and faint till the Sea one succeeds, which will not be till ten a clock, sometimes eleven, or later, and may be esteemed the Life of the Island, dispelling those impure Vapors, continually exhaled from the Mountains, and refreshing and rowsing the animal Nature, from Backgammon or Loitering, to Business.
The Harbour is spacious here, and the Ships lieLand-locked; but the Peninsula that covers them from the Sea being low and narrow, they are not so safe against Storms as one would imagine.
From hence toSpanish-Town, when called on any Law-suit or Business, they take Boat toPassage-Forton the other side, a small River at the Bottom of the Harbour, where are three or four Houses that furnish Passengers for the Journey (6 Miles) at 20s.a Coach, or 5s.a Horse, and are rarely without Customers; the Calls in Traffick are so frequent.
Port-Royal, which makes up with the former two, all the Towns of Note on the whole Island, is on the Starboard Entrance of the Harbour. The Road before it is reckoned good holding Ground, and fenced from Southerly Winds, by sandy Kays without. The Town it self stands on such a sandy Kay, not much above the Surface of the Water,and contains no more Ground than holds the Buildings, and the Fort contiguous with it on the outer Point; which, with a Line, or Rampart of Guns to the Sea, (together about 100) is their chief Defence. Under the Fort is a little Nook, or Bay, calledChocolato Hole, where we have a Hulk lies for cleaning Ships.
Port-Royalhas suffered remarkably every ten years, for thirty past. In 1692, an Earthquake sunk above half the Town; the Rubbish of those Buildings being still seen under Water, in the shallow Channel that now continues to divide it from the Main. In 1702, it was burnt down. In 1712,August28th, happened a dreadful Hurricane. And now,August28th, 1722, a more dreadful one, that besides the Damage it spread over most parts of the Island, did here in particular split the Castle, lay the Church and two thirds of the Town flat, burying three or four hundred People in the Ruins; but the Terror and Desolation may deserve a more particular Description.
Forsan hæc olim meminisse juvabit.
decorative flower