DESCRIPTION OF PLATES.

Gross Expenditure.

Deductions.

For workmens’ barracks, implements, machinery, shipping and old materials, disposed of by public sale, or transferred to the Northern Light-houses for the general service of the Board, at the conclusion of the works.By the price of the workmens’ barracks, storehouses and offices in the work-yard at Arbroath,L. 700 0 0By old gable-walls, lime-house, and sundries in workyard, and engineer’s office,52 8 2By the price of three work horses and carts sold at different times,86 0 0By fulzie of stable and work-yard,21 17 0By stone-shivers sold by public sale at different times, including 232 cart loads for the use of the Roads in the vicinity of Arbroath,48 4 6By artificers’ time three weeks at Mylnefield, deducted from Quarry Account,42 0 0By two large Woolwich-carts,55 0 0By sundries, sold in the work-yard, by public sale, at the conclusion of the work,121 16 5By the price of two cast-iron cranes, in use upon the quays at Aberdeen and Arbroath, and a small boring-machine used in the work-yard,273 3 0By broken cast-iron railways,97 19 0By the price of drift timber recovered,6 10 0By a stone-waggon and quarry-tools, sold at Aberdeen,15 13 0By old brass and bell-metal,12 16 9By scrap-iron from the smith’s shop,6 10 8By sale of old timber, and the soil taken off the site of the light-keepers houses at Arbroath,15 3 11By the price of the Sir Joseph Banks Tender,1,510 0 0By the price of the Patriot,400 0 0By the price of an old boat and mast belonging to the Patriot,12 0 0By cash, in name of damages, in consequence of sap-wood in the Patriot’s hull,80 0 0By the amount of sales of sundry stores,406 0 0By the price of three praam-boats or stone-lighters,193 0 0By the price of the wreck of an old stone-lighter and boat,10 10 0By retaining-money paid during the winter months, to one of the seamen who left the service,1 11 6By interest upon the engineer’s deposit-account with the Dundee Banking Company at Arbroath, from the commencement till the conclusion of the works,26 5 7By return-freight of the sloop Smeaton, from Aberdeen to Arbroath,18 18 0By shipping, boats, machinery, implements, stores, and moorings, transferred to the general service of the Northern Light-houses,3,222 8 7By the nett cost and maintenance of the Floating-light deducted, as belonging to the general service of the Northern Light-houses,L. 7,901 10 7By the price of the vessel and her stores when sold,421 1 108,322 12 515,758 8 6Nett cost of the Bell Rock Light-house, and Ulterior Works connected with that establishment,L. 61,331 9 2

Nett Cost.

Extracted byLachlan Kennedy, Engineer’s Clerk.

Average Price of Provisions.

Beef 6d. per lb. of 17½ oz. avoirdupois.Ship-biscuit L. 1, 9s. per cwt.Quartern Loaf 13½d. per loaf, of 4 lb. 5½ oz.Oat-meal L. 1, 11s. per boll, of 140 lb.Barley 2½d. per lb. of 17½ oz.Butter 1s. 8d. per lb. of 24 oz.Salt 10s. per bushel, of 56 lb.Whisky 11s. per gallon.Small Beer 1s. 10d. per Scots gallon, of 8 Scots points.

DESCRIPTION of the PLATES, as they are mentioned in the Work.

INCH KEITH LIGHT HOUSE.Drawn by W. LorimerPLATE I.

INCH KEITH LIGHT HOUSE.Drawn by W. LorimerPLATE I.

INCH KEITH LIGHT HOUSE.

Drawn by W. Lorimer

PLATE I.

The Light-house of Inchkeith, delineated on Plate I. was erected while MrThomas Smith, the writer’s predecessor, held the situation of Engineer for the Northern Light-houses. A plan of it is given, as having been the first of these establishments erected upon the new principle; the Reflectors being illuminated with Argand-burners; the Light-room rendered completely fire-proof; and the Dwelling-house fitted for the accommodation of two keepers. But as this establishment is described in the introductory chapter, at page24, and the names of the several apartments are marked upon the Plate, it seems unnecessary here to enter into detail.

CARR ROCK BEACON as designed in the year 1810.CARR ROCK BEACON as executed in the year 1821.Drawn by J. SlightEngd. by E. MitchellPLATE II.

CARR ROCK BEACON as designed in the year 1810.

CARR ROCK BEACON as designed in the year 1810.

CARR ROCK BEACON as executed in the year 1821.Drawn by J. SlightEngd. by E. MitchellPLATE II.

CARR ROCK BEACON as executed in the year 1821.

Drawn by J. Slight

Engd. by E. Mitchell

PLATE II.

Pl. II.

The Carr Rock Beacon is represented in Plate II. and referred to in the introduction at page53. The diagram marked Figure 1. is an outline of the rock, shewing the position of the beacon, and plan of the first course of the building, made to a radius of nine feet, cut in a dove-tailed form, after the manner of the courses of the Edystone and Bell Rock Light-houses.

Figure 2. is a section of the rock on the line A, B, Fig. 1. with a perpendicular section also of a tower of masonry and apparatus, for tolling an alarm-bell, which was originally intended for this situation. In Fig. 2. letterarepresents an aperture measuring 3 inches in diameter, which was perforated with much labour and care through a block of granite 7 feet in length, previously to its being laid. This canal was intended to admit the tidal-waters into the interior chamber of the building markedb, in which the flood-tide was to act upon an air-tight copper-tank, markedc, and its rod of connection formed into a rack with teeth, by which motion was to be given to a train of machinery, represented atdin the void of the building. The machine was to act on the vertical shafte, connected with a series of hammersf, placed under the great bellg, which was to have measured 5 feet in diameter, and become the cupola or roof of the building. In this manner the bell was to be tolled to forewarn the mariner of his approach to the dangers of the Carr, and the other extensive ledges of sunken rocks in its neighbourhood. By the rise of the flood-tide, and consequentadmission of the waters into the canala, the tankc, with its connecting rod, not only lifted the bell-hammersf, and, at the same time, also elevated the weight markedh, which, in its descent during ebb-tide, was to have continued the motion of the machinery; and thus, by the alternate operation of the tides, the continual tolling of the Bell was to have been preserved.

It will further be seen from the section of this building, that the masonry of the solid is connected perpendicularly by means of stone-joggles inserted half into the one course and half into the other. But in the void or upper part, instead of the joggles, the bed-joints of the stones were let or sunk about an inch in depth, into each other, as at the Bell Rock, forming so many bands or girths to the work. This will be observed by narrowly examining the section at letteri, with its accompanying diagram Fig. 3., which represents a plan of one of the courses of the void, shewing how the stones were connected horizontally by a system of dove-tailing, as is further represented in Fig. 4., being a plan of a course at the levela,k, in which the perforation is delineated for the admission of the tidal-waters.

The ascent to this building was to have been by means of a ladder of cast-iron or flight of steps, markeda,i,l, fixed on the outward wall by means of screw-bolts fixed into brass-bats, sunk into the masonry, and run up with lead. The entrance-door of this building was formed in the cast-iron frame or pedestal on which the great bell was to have been supported, the access to the interior being by the balcony, round which a cast-iron rail was intended, not only for the safety of the keepers or occasional attendants, but also, in some measure, to defend the bell from the sprays of the sea.

Figure 5. represents the Pillar-formed Beacon, as finished at the Carr Rock in the year 1821. The lower part of this diagram is a perpendicular section of the rock on the line A B, Fig. 1. The masonry is also shewn with two of the six great malleable iron-bats or stancheons markedain Fig. 5., which passing through the several courses, are sunk about 30 inches into the Rock. The upper part of this diagram represents a frame of cast-iron work, of great strength, fashioned somewhat after the manner of what seamen term asparorspur beacon, from being made generally of timber, set up in the form of struts or spur-beams. The connection of this frame will be understood from the detached diagram Fig. 6., taken upon the line or level markedbin Fig. 5. From Figs. 5. and 6. it will be observed, that the beacon consists of 6 pipes or hollow tubes, marked letter A, which are inserted into the socketsc, in the sill-plate of Fig. 6, into which these hollow tubes are strongly wedged and keyed with culter or spear bolts, which pass through each of the sockets and base of the hollow tubes atc. Besides the main hollow tubes marked A, other six marked B, are set up as spurs or diagonals, which radiate from sockets cast in the centre of the sill-plate markede. These diagonals are so situated, and connected by dove-tail or hook-joints, that they butt against the main tubes, and support them atf. The main tubes are further connected by means of horizontal bars of malleable iron, markedgin Fig. 5, laid into grooves formed in the arms of the cast-iron collars F,k, which clasp around the main tubes at these points, immediately above and belowtheir connection with the diagonal tubes. These collars are also keyed with the main tubes by means of spear-bolts. At the point of junctiond d, towards the top, the main tubes form segments of a common circle, and rest upon the centre blockh, into which they are keyed and wedged. As a further security, a strong cast-iron tubular formed case, markedi i, is made to clasp around the whole upper parts of the main tubes at their point of junctiond d, so as to form a girth to them. This tubular case or capi i, is 8 feet in length, and terminates with a cast-iron ball markedm m, which is 3½ feet in diameter, formed into ribs, connected with the capi i, by means of a socket, through which a spear-bolt passes, and binds it to the top of the tubular-case at the pointl.

Fig. 6. represents the Ballast-plate, which forms the sill or basement of the superstructure. It contains about 8 tons of cast-iron, and is so constructed as to become a cap or girth to the upper course of the masonry which it is calculated to secure, by means of a flange of 6 inches in depth at the outward extremity, markedb bin Fig. 5, where it is let into the stone. This plate is cast in six pieces, connected together at the pointsm m m m m m, by means of screw-bolts of one and a half inch in diameter (with nuts), passing through flanges raised at the joints of its several compartments. At the pointsn n n n n n, there were six socket-holes, for the reception of the great stancheons or bolts, markeda a, Fig. 5, which, passing through the masonry, are sunk 30 inches into the Rock, where they are fixed at the lower ends with iron-wedges, driven home by means of a long iron-driver. The ballast-plate is connected with the upper ends of these great stancheons, by means of a shackle and bolt, in such a manner that the more exposed parts may be renewed. The whole is imbedded and run up with pozzolano-mortar, so as to preserve the several parts as much as possible from the effects of oxidation.

Fig. 7. represents a horizontal section of this beacon, on the line F F, shewing the connection of the horizontal malleable iron-bars or bracesg g g g, which fit into the grooves of the arms of the collars, embracing the hollow tubes or pillars A A A A, and connecting them by means of spear-bolts atk k k k. The grooves in these arms are so formed as to command the braces, and to contain a quantity of Parker’s or Roman cement, by which the bolts are preserved from the effects of oxidation. These collars and arms, with their connecting malleable iron-bars, form a girth immediately above the diagonal struts or braces B B B, Fig. 5. A similar chain of connection is in like manner formed below the junction of these diagonal struts, with the main tubes, which, like those described above, has the effect of binding the whole fabric horizontally.

Fig. 8. is a horizontal section upon the lined d, delineated upon a scale of double the size of the other parts of the beacon, shewing the connection of the hollow tubes A A A A A A, at the top, where they change their cylindrical form into segments of a circle at the point of contact, so as to embrace the centre-blockh h. The top of these tubes thus formed into a compact figure, is cased or covered with the cylindrical capi i, through which the spear-bolts immediately above and below the pointsd d, in Fig. 5, are made to pass and bind the whole firmly together.

CHARTshewing the relative situationof theBELL ROCK LIGHT HOUSE.Drawn by J. SteedmanEngd. by W. H. LizarsPlate III.

CHARTshewing the relative situationof theBELL ROCK LIGHT HOUSE.Drawn by J. SteedmanEngd. by W. H. LizarsPlate III.

CHARTshewing the relative situationof theBELL ROCK LIGHT HOUSE.

Drawn by J. Steedman

Engd. by W. H. Lizars

Plate III.

Pl. III.

This Plate is reduced from a manuscript-map in the possession of the writer, which is drawn upon a large scale, originally intended for exhibiting the depths of the German Ocean or North Sea, and the situations of the numerous Light-houses on the coasts of the United Kingdom, and opposite Continent, but is here given with the view of shewing the relative position of the Bell Rock.

The chief peculiarity of this map is the sectional lines, exhibiting at one view the relative depths of the ocean, in connection with a theory which the writer has advanced, regarding the wasting of the firm ground by the effects of the sea, as alluded to in AppendixV.These sectional lines, of a deeper shade, are drawn across the German Ocean, from shore to shore. As, for example, between Shetland and Norway, the greatest depth is ascertained to be about 140 fathoms, and so of other examples, extending southward as far as the Straits of Dover. The soundings are all marked in fathoms, and, in so far as regards the east coast of Scotland, have been very generally made from on board of the vessels belonging to the service of the Northern Lights. The forms given to the principal sand-banks, and the soundings in the central and eastern parts of this great basin, have been taken from the best maritime surveys, and nautical authorities. The numerous Light-houses on the respective coasts are coloured; those of Scotland being blue, England red, Ireland green, and the foreign Lights yellow.

CHARTShewing the Positionof theBELL ROCK LIGHTHOUSErelatively to the Coasts ofFIFE and FORFAR SHIRES.Drawn by A. StevensonEngd. by W. H. LizarsPLATE IV.

CHARTShewing the Positionof theBELL ROCK LIGHTHOUSErelatively to the Coasts ofFIFE and FORFAR SHIRES.Drawn by A. StevensonEngd. by W. H. LizarsPLATE IV.

CHARTShewing the Positionof theBELL ROCK LIGHTHOUSErelatively to the Coasts ofFIFE and FORFAR SHIRES.

Drawn by A. Stevenson

Engd. by W. H. Lizars

PLATE IV.

Pl. IV.

This chart is intended to shew the position of the Rock in reference to the opposite shores of Fife and Forfar, and to the entrances to the Friths of Forth and Tay. The most contiguous point of land, being in the immediate neighbourhood of Aberbrothwick, is distant about 11¾ miles. This chart also exhibits the depths of water, and the nature of the bottom, in the vicinity of the Rock.

BELL ROCKShewing the relative positionof theSHIPPING EMPLOYEDat theWORKSDrawn by J. SteedmanEngd. by W. H. LizarsPLATE V.

BELL ROCKShewing the relative positionof theSHIPPING EMPLOYEDat theWORKSDrawn by J. SteedmanEngd. by W. H. LizarsPLATE V.

BELL ROCKShewing the relative positionof theSHIPPING EMPLOYEDat theWORKS

Drawn by J. Steedman

Engd. by W. H. Lizars

PLATE V.

Pl. V.

This Plate represents the Rock at low-water of spring-tides, when that part of it which extends about 1000 feet in a south-western direction from the Light-house, may be traced by the appearance of some detached portions of rock, but chiefly from the sea-weeds which float at the surface of the water. Its greatest extent, in a north-eastern and south-western direction, is about 1400 feet, and in a south-eastern and a north-western direction about 240 feet.

King George III.—This is an insulated rock which lies towards the south-eastern extremity of the Main or House Rock, and has been named in reference to the reign in which the Light-house was erected.

King James V.—is also a detached rock, forming the south-western extremity of the reef, which extends from the House-rock, and is named in reference to that Monarch’s memorable voyage round his dominions, about the year 1540, as alluded to in the Introduction, at page4.

On the north-western side of the Rock, as nearly as may be, the figures of the respective vessels employed at the work are delineated, and the positions of their moorings laid down; with the exception of those of the Pharos Floating-light, whose bearing or direction is only to be understood, as the full distance at which she was ultimately moored would fall beyond the limits of the Plate. The house-part of the Rock is left bare at low-water of ordinary spring-tides, and at high-water of these tides it is from 10 to 12 feet under water; but during the storms of winter, the sea generally breaks over the whole surface of the rock, so as to render walking upon it impracticable, even in the lowest ebbs; while at high water, the sprays fly over the building, or rise to a height of upwards of 100 feet. The reef, which extends in a south-western direction from the House-rock, contains many Travellers or large boulder-stones; affording a proof that the Bell Rock has at one time been of greater dimensions than at present, and these detached stones may be regarded as part of the debris, which have been separated in the lapse of ages from the main Rock.

NORTH EASTERN parts of the BELL ROCK shewing the position of the LIGHT HOUSE, railways, wharfs, &c.Drawn by G. C. ScottEngd. by E. MitchellPLATE VI.

NORTH EASTERN parts of the BELL ROCK shewing the position of the LIGHT HOUSE, railways, wharfs, &c.Drawn by G. C. ScottEngd. by E. MitchellPLATE VI.

NORTH EASTERN parts of the BELL ROCK shewing the position of the LIGHT HOUSE, railways, wharfs, &c.

Drawn by G. C. Scott

Engd. by E. Mitchell

PLATE VI.

Pl. VI.

The description of this Plate, representing the higher parts of the Rock as seen at low-water of spring-tides, affords the writer an opportunity of mentioning many distinguished names connected either officially, or in a friendly manner, with the erection of the Light-house. In corresponding about the state of the Rock, he has often found the advantage of this particular nomenclature of its different parts, as affording a reference to all its localities.

Site of the Light-House, and Railway-Tracks.—The site of the Light-house, which will be seen from the Plate, was fixed by the writer in a central position of what may be termed the House-Rock. From this, as a centre, the Railways ramify in various directions. Upon these the materials for the erection of the house were conveyed, and they are still partly preserved, as convenient foot-paths and wharfs, in landing stores for the Light-house. The portions of the Railway-tracks marked with light dotted lines, were only used during the continuation of the works; while those of a deeper shade represent the permanent railways.

Site of Captain Brodie’s Beacon.—The late Captain Joseph Brodie, of the Royal Navy, was perhaps not less known to the public as the fortunate bearer of Lord Duncan’s dispatches announcing the victory obtained by the British fleet off Camperdown, than for his unwearied exertions in keeping up the interest of the public, relative to the important results to navigation which would attend the erection of a Light-house upon the Bell Rock, of which notice is taken at page88.

Site of Mr Stevenson’s Beacon.—The position of the Beacon or temporary erection delineated inPlate VIII., was fixed upon the southern side of the site of the Light-house, with the ultimate view of obtaining shelter from the breach of the north-east seas. It was farther important, for the conveniency it afforded of a communication during the progress of the works, by means of a wooden bridge, which will be understood by examiningPlate XVIII.

Haldane’s Ledge—is situate on the south-eastern side of the Rock, where the writer made his first landing with his friend Mr James Haldane, architect, as noticed at page91.

Gray’s Rock.—Toward the eastern side of the Rock, there is a small outlier, or reef, important as a low-water-mark, which is named Gray’s Rock, in compliment to the late Mr John Gray, Writer to the Signet, and the first Secretary to the Light-house Board, as noticed in the Introduction, page5.

Smith’s Rock,—situate on the eastern side of the Light-house, derives its name from the late Mr Thomas Smith, who introduced Reflecting-Lights upon the coast of Scotland; and was the first Engineer to the Board, as noticed at page7.

Cuningham’s Ledge.—This ledge of rock has its name from Mr Charles Cuningham, Writer to the Signet, and successor to Mr Gray, as Secretary and Cashier to the Light-house Board.

Port Hamilton.—This creek is situate at the south-eastern extremity of the House-rock, and derives its name from Mr Robert Hamilton, Sheriff of Lanarkshire, andex officioone of the Commissioners of the Northern Light-houses; who first landed here in the year 1805, accompanied by Mr Rennie and the writer, with a view further to ascertain the practicability of erecting the proposed Light-house, as noticed at page95. Mr Hamilton has been a zealous member of the Bell Rock Committee since the period of its institution in the year 1807, and, from his literary habits, he has taken much interest in the pages of this work.

Port Rennie—is situate in the north-eastern part of the House-rock, and derives its name from the late Mr John Rennie, the celebrity and extent of whose works as a Civil Engineer are well known to the public. Mr Rennie was consulted by the Light-house Board relative to this work. His reports will be found in Appendix, No.IV.; and his plan inPlate VII.

Port Stevenson—enters from the north-eastern side of the Rock, and forms the principal landing-place in that direction; it was named for the writer by Mr Hamilton, at the landing above alluded to, in the year 1805.

The Abbot’s Ledge—forms the north-western extremity of the House-rock, and derives its name from a tradition (for we can find no authentic record) of one of the Abbots of Aberbrothwick having erected an Alarm-bell, to forewarn mariners of their danger in approaching the Bell Rock.

Sir Ralph the Rover’s Ledge—forms the south-western extremity of the House-rock, and takes the name of Sir Ralph the Rover from a noted pirate who is said to have landed upon it, and carried away the Alarm-bell. This traditionary story is beautifully alluded to in a ballad by Mr Southey in his Minor Poems, which, with his permission, is included in Appendix, No. II. page438.

Dunnichen Ledge,—on the north-western side of the Rock, is named in compliment to Mr Dempster of Dunnichen, who is mentioned in the Introduction, page5.

Dunskey Ledge,—which is contiguous to the former, is named in compliment to Sir James Hunter Blair of Dunskey, first Preses of the Commissioners of the Northern Light-houses, as mentioned at page6.

Arniston Ledge.—Named in compliment to the late Lord Chief-Baron Dundas of Arniston, who, while Solicitor-General and Lord Advocate of Scotland, took an active part in Light-house affairs; and visited the Bell Rock in the year 1812, as noticed at page413.

Rattray Ledge.—In compliment to Mr Baron Clerk Rattray, who, while Sheriff of the Shire of Edinburgh, as noticed at page98, wasex officioone of the Commissioners of the Northern Light-houses, and, as one of the Bell Rock Committee, took much interest in the work.

Hope’s Wharf—forms the termination of the permanent railway toward the west. It was named for the Right Honourable Charles Hope, Lord President of the Court of Session, who landed here in the year 1815. While Lord Advocate of Scotland, he took a warm interest in the affairs of the Northern Light-houses, and in 1803 brought the first bill into Parliament for the erection of the Bell Rock Light-house, as noticed at page93.

Pulteney Ledge.—So named in compliment to Sir William Pulteney, who, as a Member of Parliament, took a lively interest in the bill brought forward for the Bell Rock Light-house in the year 1803, as alluded to at page92.

Banks Ledge.—Named in compliment to Sir Joseph Banks, who was Vice-President of the Board of Trade in the year 1806, when the Bill for the Light-house was in Parliament, and who took much interest in it, as noticed at page101.

Cochrane’s Ledge—is named in compliment to Admiral Sir Alexander Cochrane, who first called the attention of the Light-house Board to an erection upon the Bell Rock, as mentioned at page85.

Port Erskine—forms the principal landing-place on the western side of the Rock, and derives its name from the Honourable Henry Erskine, who, when Lord Advocate of Scotland, andex officioone of the Commissioners of the Northern Light-houses, brought the second Bill for the Bell Rock Light-house into Parliament, which passed in the year 1806, as stated at page100.

Ulbster Ledge.—Named in compliment to the Right Honourable Sir John Sinclair, Baronet, of Ulbster, Chairman of the Committee of the House of Commons, and who brought up its report relative to the Bell Rock bill, as stated at page103.

Kellie Ledge.—Named in compliment to the Earl of Kellie, who visited the works at the Bell Rock in the year 1810, as noticed at page378.

Pitmilly Wharf—formed the western extremity of the landing-wharf in use during the Light-house operations, and was named in compliment to Mr Monypenny, now Lord Pitmilly, who, while in the commission both as Sheriff of Fife and Solicitor-General of Scotland, was a member of the Bell Rock Committee, and visited the works in the year 1810, as stated at page378.

Kinedder Ledge—is named in compliment to the late Mr William Erskine, Sheriff of Orkney and Shetland, and a member of the Bell Rock Committee. From Mr Erskine’s literary pursuits, he took a lively interest in this work, before he left the Light-house Board, and also after he was raised to the Bench, where he took his seat as Lord Kinedder.

The Abbotsford.—This spot, where the waters of the two principal and opposite landing-places meet, is named in compliment to Sir Walter Scott, Baronet, of Abbotsford, who landed here in the year 1814, as noticed at page419, when he wrote the beautiful and expressive lines inserted in afac-simileof his handwriting in the2d Title-page.

Rae’s Wharf—forms the extremity of the southern reach of the permanent railway, and derives its name from Sir William Rae, Baronet, who, in the several capacitiesof Sheriff-Depute and Lord Advocate of Scotland, has long been a member of the Light-house Board and Bell Rock Committee. His Lordship visited the Rock in 1810, as noticed at page387.

Duff’s Wharf—derives its name from Mr Adam Duff, Sheriff of the shire of Edinburgh, and a member of the Bell Rock Committee, who repeatedly visited the works at the Bell Rock while in progress, particularly in the year 1810, as noticed at page387.

Port Boyle—takes its name from the Right Honourable David Boyle, Lord Justice-Clerk, who, while Solicitor-General of Scotland, was a member of the Bell Rock Committee, and visited the Light-house in the year 1811, as noticed at page411.

The Crown Lawyers.—This name is given to two detached rocks, which lie on the south-eastern side of the House-rock, in allusion to the Lord Advocate and Solicitor-General of Scotland, who areex officioCommissioners of the Northern Light-houses, as noticed at page6.

The Maritime Sheriffs.—This name comprehends a range of rocks, also on the south-eastern side of the main Rock, in reference to the Sheriffs of maritime counties, who areex officioCommissioners of the Northern Light-houses, as noticed at page6.

The Royal Burghs,—A group of rocks lying on the south-western side of the House-rock, so named from certain of the Chief Magistrates of the Royal Burghs of Scotland who areex officioCommissioners of the Northern Light-houses, as noticed at page6.

Telford’s Ledge—is named in compliment to Mr Thomas Telford, Civil Engineer, who was requested by Sir William Pulteney to visit the Bell Rock professionally in the year 1803, as noticed at page92.

Downie’s Ledge—derives its name from the late Mr Murdoch Downie, a Marine Surveyor of considerable eminence, who suggested a plan for erecting a Light-house on the Bell Rock, as noticed at page93.

Neill’s Pool—derives its name from Mr Patrick Neill, a particular friend of the writer’s, who first visited the Bell Rock in 1808, as noticed at page235. The surface of this pool measures about three fathoms across, and a fathom and a half in depth, when the tide leaves the Rock. The bottom is generally covered with boulder-stones, which are whirled about with much force when the sea is in a state of agitation.

Stuart’s Track—is on the south-western side of the Rock, derives its name from the late Captain Harry Stuart of the Royal Navy, who visited the Bell Rock in the year 1810, as alluded to at page387. Captain Stuart took an early interest in the plans for the Light-house, both by Captain Brodie and the writer.

Bruce’s Ledge—was named in compliment to the memory of the late Mr James Bruce of the Naval Yard, Leith, who frequently visited the Bell Rock, and to whose ingenuity the Light-house service is indebted for the improved construction of a boat, delineated inPlate XI.and noticed at page412.

Russell’s Ledge—is named in compliment to Mr Claud Russell, Accountant to the Light-house Board, who visited the Rock in the year 1812, as mentioned in page414.

Scoresby’s Point,—the most northern part of the Rock, named in compliment to the writer’s friend Captain Scoresbyjunior, who has so much extended our information regarding the Polar Regions.

Trinity Rock.—This rock is named in compliment to a Committee of the Trinity House of Leith, consisting of Messrs Thomas Grindlay, John Hay, and Thomas Ritchie, who gave their advice and assistance in the fitting out and mooring the Floating-light in the year 1807, as alluded to at page110.

Balfour’s Ledge—is named in compliment to the late Provost Balfour of Arbroath, who felt the most lively interest in the Light-house affairs. In his hospitable mansion the writer occasionally resided while the works were in progress.

Leitch’s Ledge—is named in compliment to the writer’s friend Mr Quintin Leitch, who visited the Rock in the year 1818. Mr Leitch is further noticed at page43.

Pillans’s Ledge—is named in compliment to the writer’s friend Mr James Pillans of Leith, who took an early interest in the erection of the Light-house, and who signs the Report of the Merchants of Leith regarding it, as noticed at page96.

The Last Hope.—This name was given by the writer to the highest part of the rock, in allusion to the narrow escape which he and the artificers made in the year 1807, by the timeous arrival of James Spink, the Bell Rock pilot at Arbroath, as noticed at page149. Spink is a remarkably strong man, whosetout ensembleis highly characteristic of a North-country fisherman. He usually dresses in apé-jacket, cut after a particular fashion, and wears a large flat blue bonnet. A striking likeness of Spink, in his pilot-dress, with the badge or insignia on his left arm, which is characteristic of the boatmen in the service of the Northern Lights has been taken by Howe, and is in the writer’s possession.

Forrest’s Passage.—This gully or opening on the eastern side of the Rock, is sometimes taken as a track by boats in certain states of the sea and tide. It derives its name from the late Mr John Forrest, Superintendant of Lightkeepers’ duty in the service of the Northern Lights, who is particularly noticed at page406.

Logans’ Reach.—This reach or compartment of the Railway, on the eastern side of the Light-house, is named in compliment to the late Mr Peter Logan, foreman-builder at the Bell Rock, and his son Mr David Logan, clerk-of-works, whose active and faithful services, in their respective departments, have been too often noticed in this work to admit of reference to particular pages.

Watt’s Reach—has its name in compliment to Mr Francis Watt, foreman-mill-wright, whose services have also already been often particularised in the course of this work, and whose exertions in erecting the beacon and temporary-railways did much credit to his zeal and intrepidity. The writer also often profited by his ingenuity, in reference to the various pieces of machinery employed at the works.

Kennedy’s Reach—derives its name from Mr Lachlan Kennedy, who, as Accountant and Cashier in the Engineer’s Office, discharged the various duties of his situation in a manner equally creditable to himself and satisfactory to his employers. An Abstract-Account of the expence of the work, as drawn up by him, appears in the Appendix, No. VII. page475.

Slights’ Reach,—named in compliment to Mr James Slight, and his brother Alexander, who were chiefly employed in drawing the courses of the building at large, and in making the various and nicely formed moulds for fashioning the stones. They also fitted up the interior of the house, and the permanent railways on the rock; and made a complete model of the Light-house.

The Smiths’ Forge and Ledge—named in compliment to Mr James Dove, foreman-smith, and his assistants, who have been frequently alluded to in these pages. It was here that the forge was erected at the commencement of the works on the Rock; and on the connecting ledge the first or experimental cargo of stones was landed.

Reid’s Ledge—is named in compliment to Mr John Reid, the first principal Lightkeeper at the Bell Rock, who retired from the service in the year 1821, as noticed at page422.

Selkirks’ Ledge,—named for Mr Robert Selkirk, principal builder, and his brother Thomas, who was the principal stone-cutter at the work.

Wishart’s Ledge—is named for Mr Michael Wishart, some time principal builder at the Rock, as noticed at page291.

Glen’s Ledge.—This ledge has its name from Mr James Glen, millwright and joiner, particularly noticed at page279.

John Watt.—A detached rock on the western side of the main rock, named for John Watt, principal mortar-maker at the Bell Rock.

Peter Fortune.—A detached reef on the western side of the Rock, named for a well known character in the Light-house service, as noticed at page299.

Gloag’s Track—leads into Port Hamilton, and is named for Mr Robert Gloag, who commanded the Light-house Yacht in the year 1807, and who has otherwise had a good deal of connection with the Light-house service.

Macurich’s Track—on the western side of the Rock, is named in compliment to Mr Thomas Macurich, mate of the sloop Smeaton, and afterwards commander of the Bell Rock Tender, who had a very narrow escape in a boat off the Rock, as noticed at page253.

Webb’s Rock—is named in compliment to Mr Joseph Webb, one of the King’s pilots at Yarmouth, who superintended the fitting out and mooring of the Floating-light, as noticed at page108.

Sinclair’s Track—is named in compliment to Mr George Sinclair, who, in 1807, commanded the Floating-light, and acted as landing-master.

Wilson’s Track—named for Mr James Wilson, landing-master, whose active and enterprising conduct is often noticed in the course of this work. In the year 1815, Mr Wilson left the Light-house service, when he was appointed one of theHarbour-masters of Leith. The speaking-trumpet which he used at the Bell Rock was presented to him, with the sanction of the Light-house Board, when a suitable inscription was engraved on a plate of silver attached to it.

Taylor’s Track—leads into Port Erskine, and derives its name from Mr David Taylor, who commanded the Sir Joseph Banks Tender during the progress of the works, and afterwards became Light-house Storekeeper at Leith.

Calder’s Track—situate on the north-western side of the Rock, derives its name from Mr Thomas Calder, who commanded the Light-house Yacht, and other craft, connected with the works, as noticed at page260.

Soutar’s Track—derives its name from Mr Peter Soutar, who was one of the Praam-masters while the works were in progress. In 1815 he succeeded Mr James Wilson in the command of the Light-house Yacht.

Pool’s Track—is named for Mr Robert Pool, commander of the Smeaton stone-lighter, a very active and persevering seaman.

The Engineers’ Ledge,—situate on the eastern side of the Rock, is named in compliment to certain of the Engineer’s assistants, who, though belonging more especially to his general or private business, have nevertheless been occasionally employed in the department of the Bell Rock, particularly Mr John Steedman, Mr John Thin, Mr William Lorimer, Mr G. C. Scott, and Mr Robert Shortreed, some of whose names are attached to several of the Plates.

The Artificers.—A name given to a parcel of detached rocks, lying on the north-western side of the main Rock, in allusion to the numerous artificers employed at the works, many of whom are now moving in spheres of more extended usefulness, and, did our limits admit, would be deserving of particular notice, as may be learned from page379.

The Mariners.—This is also a group of detached rocks on the north-eastern side of the Rock, which in like manner is named in compliment to the exertions of the Seamen, who, asmen-of-all-works, gave a helping hand to every operation; and many of whom deserve the warmest acknowledgments of the writer.

Strachan’s Ledge,—situate on the north-eastern side of the Rock, was named for Mr Robert Strachan of Leith, who fitted out the Floating-light, and narrowly escaped being lost upon the Rock, when approaching it in a boat which was upset in the year 1808, as noticed at page244.

Craw’s Horse.—Another detached rock, deriving its name from a narrow escape which the sloop Smeaton made in foggy weather, as noticed at page364, while James Craw, who had charge of the stable, and was principal carter at the work-yard of Arbroath, was on board, with his favourite horse, on his way to Leith, to convey the upper part of the Light-house, from Edinburgh, to be shipped for the Bell Rock. The horse alluded to was a remarkably strong and powerful animal, measuring about 16 hands in height, and having, in the language of jockies, a great deal of bone. It is not a little remarkable, that while the work was in progress, this animal must actually have drawn the materials of the Light-house, extending to upwards of 2000 tons in its finished state, perhaps three or four times, in removingthe blocks of stone from the ship to the work-yard, again to the platform, and from the work-yard, when they were to be shipped for the Rock, besides occasional movements to and from the hands of the stone-cutters. A sketch of this animal, and of his master James Craw, will be found at Fig. 21.Plate X.The horse having failed from age, towards the close of the work he was removed to the Island of Inchkeith, to go at large, where he died in the year 1813. The fame of this animal’s labours, together with his strength and excellent proportion as a draught-horse, having attracted the notice of Dr John Barclay, that eminent anatomist procured the bones, and set them up in his Museum. This valuable collection, it is understood, is to be bequeathed to the College of Surgeons of Edinburgh; so that the bones of the Bell Rock-horse, to use the Doctor’s own language, “will be seen and admired as a useful skeleton, and a source of instruction, when those of his employers lie mingled with the dust.”


Back to IndexNext