Caister or Caistor, a pleasant village situated upon the coast, about two miles and a half to the northward of Yarmouth, possesses the remains of a Roman station, and the ruins of Caister castle.—A lofty circular tower and a large portion of the north and west walls belonging to the latter are very prominent. This is supposed to be one of the oldest brick mansions in England. It was erected by Sir John Fastolf, who was born here, or at Yarmouth, in 1378. He entered early in life a brilliant military career, and signalized himself by many acts of bravery during a forty years’ campaignunder the English Regency in France, and history records, in the course of this period, he was made in the field of battle a Knight Banneret, a Baron of France, Knight of the Garter, Marshal of the Regent’s Household, the King’s Lieutenant in Normandy, and progressively appointed to various public offices. He subsequently returned to Caistor, and his liberality, munificence, and acts of charity were not equalled in the period in which he lived. He became a founder of religious and other edifices, a generous patron of learning, an encourager of piety, and a benefactor to the poor.
A quibble on the name of this truly great and eminent man has been raised by some authors, who supposed him to be the Sir John Falstaff, whom our immortal bard Shakspeare delineated in the humorous but abandoned character as constantly lounging about the court of Prince Henry (afterwards Henry the Vth. of England).—The poetical Falstaff was nearly threescore years of age at the battle of Shrewsbury, A.D. 1403, when the Norfolk hero was not more than twenty-five. The former ended his career soon after Prince Henry ascended the throne—the latter survived Henry the Vth. thirty-seven years, and died at Caistor in 1459.
Cromer, formerly a small market town, is situated nine miles N.N.W. of North Walsham, and on the verge of the German Ocean. At the Doomsday survey Cromer formed part of the lordship and parish of Shipden, a considerable village, which, with its church, dedicated to St. Peter, appears to have been swallowed up by the sea about the time of Henry the 4th. A patent to collect certain dues for the erection of a pier was granted in the 14th of Richard II. At neap tides, in calm weather, are still to be seen, about half a mile distant from the shore, large masses of wall, which are supposed to have belonged to the church alluded to.
Many large portions of land were washed away in 1611, previous to which the inhabitants expended considerable sums of money and ingenuity in a fruitless attempt to maintain a small harbour. In the winter of 1799, the light-house cliffs, projecting from the beach three hundred and twenty feet, made several remarkably large shoots, one of which brought with it half an acre of ground, and extended into the sea beyond low water mark. On January 15th, 1825, another large mass of earth was detached from the light-house hills, and fell with great force on the beach, extending in breadth above three hundred yards from the cliffs, covering an area of twelve acres, and containing, it was supposed, not less than half a million of cubic yards of earth. The fall of this enormous body was sudden and unexpected. A large stream of water issued from the bankimmediately after its fall, and discharged itself down upon the beach with great noise and violence. Early in the morning of August 19th, 1832, another large shoot of the cliffs occurred near the light-house, which threatened the destruction of that useful edifice. It was deemed expedient to erect another on the hill, two hundred and fifty yards inland; but the remains of the old one are still standing about three-quarters of a mile east of the town, where it was built of brick in 1719.
These immense landslips were almost entirely owing to the numerous fresh water springs abounding in this locality, but the damage the town of Cromer experienced, and referred to in Chapter III., was caused by the ocean, during a continuous gale of wind.
According to tradition, Cromer church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is supposed to have been erected in the reign of Henry 4th, soon after the village of Shipden disappeared. It is a large and handsome edifice, built of flint and free-stone, in the Gothic style, with a fine tower 154 feet in height, and richly ornamented with sculpture. The west entrance, the north porch, and the chancel have been long in ruins, and very little of the latter now remains; and history informs us, that many of its ornaments were destroyed by Cromwell’s soldiers, who converted it into barracks.
As a watering place Cromer richly deserves the celebrity it has attained; and the encomiums conferred by those who have visited it during the summer months, are certainly not exaggerated. Nature indeed, appears to have bestowed her favours with no sparing hand to render it a delightful retreat for the invalid—or those who require a relaxation from the noise and bustle of a city life—and for those who are desirous to prosecute their studies with ease and comfort, almost amounting to enchantment. The most fastidious could but be pleased with the beauty of the surrounding scenery—with the accommodation provided by enterprising individuals—with the civility and courteous demeanour of its inhabitants, who from the highest to the lowest grade, take every possible pains to deserve lasting esteem and friendship. The fishermen too are exceedingly well behaved, and their looks pourtray a contentment approaching to happiness, that indicates the labour attending their perilous vocation is rewarded.
The village of Shipden, with its church dedicated to St. Peter, which lay between Cromer and the sea, has wholly disappeared.
Eccles by the Sea, nine miles east by south of North Walsham, was a hamlet of the great lordship of Hasborough or Happisburgh, from whence it is about two miles distant. It not only appears fastsinking into oblivion itself, but also holds a fearful destiny over a large tract of valuable marsh land in the eastern division of the county, by reason of the inlet it may sooner or later afford to an irruption of the sea.
In the reign of Edward the Confessor it was held by Edric, a Dane of noble extraction, afterwards by Ralph, Earl of Norfolk, through whom it became forfeited to the Crown. William the Conqueror bestowed it upon Roger Bigot, whence it passed successively into the hands of William de Albini, ancestor of the Earls of Arundale, William le Parker, and several other noblemen of renown in the annals of chivalry.
Many curious privileges and customs the lords of the manor derived in those days—for we find in 33rd of Edward the 1st, 1305, William le Parker was entituled to receive wreck of sea, lagan, and resting geld, customs, and other profits upon the sea and land, and of every crew of a ship or boat washing their nets in the said village after Michaelmas to Martlemas, an hundred herrings, and also a fee for goods, chattels, &c., coming to land by sea, without the help of the said William or his servant, or resting upon the land one day and one night; and if the said William or his men, &c., immediately after imminent danger, or after shipwreck, shall do their endeavour to save such things, then the said William shall have a third part of all such things, or the value of them, unless of his good will he will omit something, but must not be asked.—Among the land customs was the bed gild, and at every wedding, noble or ignoble, the lords of the manor had the privilege of consummating the nuptials of the bride, or receiving a fee instead. This indecorous system prevailed in some parts of Scotland not many years since.
These arbitrary laws, enacted in the earlier period of England’s history, when ignorance prevailed, and barbarism allowed the honoured and the wealthy to impose exactions cruel and oppressive, on those beneath them, may possibly have in many instances, from humanity, been omitted. At all events, as knowledge advanced, we find that not only have those which pressed so heavily upon the poor industrious fishermen been cancelled, but that others have been reduced to an extent compatible with the necessary protection to property exposed to the pilferer, from lamentable accidents on the coast. And it is highly gratifying to observe, that until recently no murmur or complaint has been raised against the lords of the manor, and this is confined to two or three districts, and arose from the following circumstance:—From time immemorial, it appears, persons have been allowed to take whatever sea-beach materials they required for domestic or other purposes, without molestationor the exaction of any fee. But the increasing demand induced individuals who were deputed by the lords of the manor to officiate in their stead, to apply for permission to charge so much per freight or load; which being granted, a pretty income has been realized from the hundreds of loads of sand, stones, &c., removed annually.—A curious coincidence, however, is connected with it. One of these deputy lords, a few years since, observed that the removal of sea-beach materials, within a given distance of the road or gangway to the beach, afforded an inlet for the ocean to under mine and remove the foot of the gangway to such an extent, that an expence was necessarily incurred, from time to time, in repairing it, besides the loss of land on either side of it. He therefore applied for permission to fix up a board in the vicinity, on which was printed—
“By order of the Magistrates.“Notice is hereby given—Should any person or persons take away or remove any sand near the gangway and foot of the cliffs, he or they shall be prosecuted, and upon conviction, shall suffer the extreme penalty of the law.”
“By order of the Magistrates.
“Notice is hereby given—Should any person or persons take away or remove any sand near the gangway and foot of the cliffs, he or they shall be prosecuted, and upon conviction, shall suffer the extreme penalty of the law.”
But strange to relate, no sooner did the deputy lord receive permission to dispose of the sea-beach materials, than the board was taken down, and individuals are permitted to take them away, if not in the immediate vicinity of the gangway, at least at the foot or base of the cliffs.
Every remaining vestige of Eccles denotes antiquity. Ancient stone walls have been exposed within the last three years by the action of the sea, removing lofty sand hills, and the peasantry have picked up silver and copper coins of great antiquity. But a still stronger evidence of a remote period may be traced in the wells constructed with large unburned bricks, formed in a mould wider at one end than at the other, to adapt them to the true circumference of the well itself. It is quite clear the wells had been filled up with earth, and ceased to be used before the abandonment of the place, since near to every one of them is a stone well, built with mortar, similar to the churches, which possibly denotes the first step towards civilization in this country. It formerly contained two thousand acres of land, but so wasted by the incursion of the German Ocean, that the inhabitants, in their petition for a reduction of taxes, in the reign of James the 1st, complained they had then only fourteen houses and three hundred acres of land. The whole now comprises a few cottages, with the church tower, and one hundred and fifty acres of land. The church was dedicated to St. Mary.
History informs us, that the parish of Whimpnell, formerly situatedbetween Hasborough and Eccles, has been entirely removed by the sea.
Hasborough, denominated also Happisburgh, situated seven miles south-east of North Walsham, is a considerable village, containing a church dedicated to St. Mary. Its steeple, 110½ feet in height, stands on an elevated point of land, and is extremely useful to the mariner as a land-mark. In former days a large wooden cross presented itself a considerable height above and from the centre of the steeple, which rendered it still more conspicuous, and prior to 1818 it became so decayed, that it was blown down. The inhabitants erected another in its stead, which, during a heavy tempest in 1822, unfortunately served as a conductor for the electric fluid, which demolished it, and also a large portion of the south-east buttress; the latter fell upon and passed through the roof of the church, on to the aile beneath. On this occasion the electric fluid set fire to the church, and had not the promptest measures been resorted to, it must have been destroyed.
Here also was erected, in 1791, two light-houses, the one a hundred and the other eighty feet high. The upper part of each terminates in a dome; immediately beneath is the lantern, and on the outside a platform, surrounded with iron palisading, whose verge consists of a flat piece of the same material. Some years since, an unfortunate individual, subject to mental aberration, while in an extremely excited state, walked on the top or rim of the palisading, round one of the lights. This feat he safely accomplished, and extraordinary to relate, it had the desirable effect to render him calm and collected for several years.
A lover of the picturesque would be amply repaid for the trouble taken to reach the platform, which, as before observed, describes a circle, the one half presenting, on a clear day, a beautiful marine view, the other a splendid landscape.
In the former, the ocean, as far as the eye can reach, exhibits a vast expanse of troubled water, imparting sound which murmurs discontent. Its bosom too, after northerly and north-easterly winds, is frequently bedecked with vessels bound to some distant port, and from their being so numerous, so variable in size and form, and gliding so near the shore, they produce a beautiful panorama, not surpassed on any other part of the coast.
From the latter is seen in the distance, the spire of Norwich Cathedral, Cromer and Winterton light-houses. The intermediate space presenting pretty scenery of hill and dale, with here and there a mansion surrounded with plantations. The spires of the villagechurches too are numerous and conspicuous, and the ruins of antiquated buildings, especially the Priory of Broomholme, at Bacton, is a picture in itself inviting our thoughts to roam to by-gone times.—The lands divided with fences, neat and trim, and the fields, exhibit, during the summer months, the various colours of the ripening corn. Farm-houses located at uncertain distances, and the humble cottages of the industrious poor, present at once acoup-d’œilof the blessings conferred on industry and enterprize.
To the Geologist and the Antiquarian a fine field for research, and a glorious treat, is afforded them. Within a short distance to the northward are lofty cliffs, containing in the different strata, relics of animals; some similar to those in the present day; others that never existed in the memory of the oldest historian; and those which now exist only in the torrid zone. The shells of fish that only inhabit rivers whose waters have departed to other channels, whose beds have been covered up probably for ages, while the trunks of trees, and stumps, with their strong roots extended, are frequently exposed after strong gales of wind.
To the southward is old Eccles steeple, ready to be snatched into the briny ocean; at its foot, towards the sea, is the remaining portion of the sacred edifice, with other foundations, indicating where once had existed the humming noise of human beings, exercising their vocation for individual and collective benefit. On either side of the old steeple are capacious banks, where the marram grows spontaneously, whose long tufts conceal the wily rabbit and the timid hare. Here the weary may rest; the contemplative picture to himself scenes that are past, present, and to come. Here pic-nic parties, merry meetings, the young and old, may partake of a delightful recreation, which a wonderful yet beautiful world presents; containing the fountain from whence all Philosophy springs and ends, and embracing the evidence of an Infinite Being, in the grandeur and magnificence of Creation.
Horsey next the Sea must have been formerly one of the most uninviting hamlets ever beheld. It lies between Waxham and Winterton, and is eleven miles north by west of Yarmouth. Its lonely situation, its containing a large lake, called Horsey mere, and intersected with ditches of stagnant water, cannot render it even now prepossessing. And were it not for its complete exposure to wind from every quarter, it probably would be very unhealthy.—Such a singular aspect did it assume some years since, that an early historian, alluding to Horsey, recommended it to the notice of government, as being peculiarly adapted for prisoners of war, especiallythe French; observing they could be retained there readily, as there was only one road to it; and its growing roots in abundance, besides an innumerable quantity of frogs, the expense for maintaining them would be inconsiderable.
The present proprietor’s highly respected ancestor, about fifty years since, purchased the manor, when it was of little value, being generally flooded, and having expended a considerable sum of money in draining the marshes, repairing the sea-bank, and making a road to Somerton, an adjoining village leading to Yarmouth, has rendered it one of the most fertile estates in the county.
On the sea-bank within the bounds of this parish is Little Waxham, a manor of 160 acres; but the village, and its church dedicated to St. Margaret, were swept away by the ocean many years ago.
Keswic or Casewic, situated to the east of Bacton, appears to have been part of the manor, and extended to this place and Broomholme. In 1382, the church, dedicated to St. Clement, was standing, and when it became deserted cannot be determined.
Extensive ruins remained for several years, which were taken down on the day of the coronation of George the Third and Queen Charlotte, with the exception of a small portion, now forming walls to two or three cottages.
A considerable part of the village is now in the sea from the falling of the cliffs.
Mundesley is a pleasant village, situated about five miles north by east of North Walsham, and has considerably improved during the last few years, but, similarly to Bacton, to which it is annexed, is continually wasting by the sea. A villa erected by F. Wheatley, Esq., commands a beautiful marine view, but to preserve it from the rapacity of the ocean, upwards of three thousand pounds have been expended.
Palling next the Sea lies between Eccles and Waxham, and is about twenty miles north-east of Norwich. It is celebrated in ancient records as being the residence of Godwin, Earl of Kent, in the reign of Edward the Confessor. William the Conqueror afterwards seized on it, and at the grand survey, Godric was bailiff or steward of it for that king.
Within the last few months, the sea has removed the beach at low water mark, and exposed the strata beneath its surface. In it are the remains of the trunks and roots of trees; the former broken off from three to four feet above the strata, while around lie the remaining portions consisting of the branches, leaves, &c., but very much compressed. The bark of the beech is very distinct, but the oak, and especially the red fir, are in the best state of preservation. The wood of the latter has evidently undergone considerable chemical change, for the ligneous or fibrous part is very perfect, but its resinous properties are absent, consequently the wood when dried, is much lighter, and smells strongly of sulphur. It is impossible to ascertain how long the trees have been covered up, but probably some centuries.
Trimingham is situated on the tall cliffs between Mundesley and Cromer, and five miles north by east of North Walsham. Like the former, it has been subject to the encroachments of the ocean for a series of years, and is now reduced to a small village. The church stands on the highest point of the cliffs; and history relates that its ancient priests professed to have the head of St. John the Baptist. Pilgrims came a long distance with great offerings, and thus became the dupes of superstition and deceit.
Waxham lies on the coast between Palling and Horsey, and is about fourteen miles north-west of Yarmouth. This parish was formerly much more extensive, and although it has not been encroached upon for some years, yet the sand hills appear evidently inclined to recede.
The church, dedicated to St. John, exhibits considerable dilapidation, the chancel end being quite in ruins. In the church-yard lies interred the remains of the unfortunate mate of the Hunter cutter.
Wells next the sea is situated five miles north by west of Walsingham, and 32 miles north-west of Norwich. It possesses a tolerably good harbour and several neat buildings, but its streets are very irregular. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a neat edifice, with a square tower. On July 15th, 1817, a gale of wind from the north produced so high a tide, that the marshes near Wells became inundated.
Winterton is an ancient village, annexed to Horsey on the south, and within eight miles north by west of Yarmouth. It is sheltered on the north-east by a bold promontory called Winterton-Ness, and well known to the mariner as the most fatal headland between Scotland and London. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity and All Saints, possesses a fine tower, 118 feet in height, which commands an extensive view of the ocean.
On the 27th of December, 1665, a tremendous high tide caused such alarming breaches in the sand hills at Winterton, Horsey, and Waxham, as to threaten destruction to all the valuable marsh land from thence to Yarmouth, Beccles, &c.
Frequently termed Great Yarmouth, is the principal sea-port town in Norfolk, and 123 miles distant N.E. of London. It stands on the east bank of the river Yare (from whence it takes its name), at its confluence with the Bure, about two miles from the mouth of the haven, which is very extensive and commodious.—From the appearance of the country, and an ancient chart, supposed to have been drawn about A.D. 1000, it is evident that a broad and extensive estuary divided this part of the eastern coast, not only in the time of its most ancient inhabitants, but for a long period after the Saxon Conquest, extending its waters westward to the city of Norwich, northward to Caistor, Reedham, Herringby, and Strumpshaw, and southward to Gorleston, Burgh, Bungay, Harleston, and Haddiscoe. This large arm of the ocean forming the grand receptacle of all the eastern waters of Norfolk (as it still continues under the circumscribed form of the Yare), began to disappear after the fifth century, when the sand collecting at its entrance, was, by the action of the waters, gradually formed into an island, which ultimately extended itself to the main land, and became the peninsula on which Yarmouth is founded. Several successive disappointments, and an immense outlay of capital in endeavouring to erect substantial havens for the guidance of the river waters into the sea, had been experienced, and at length finally accomplished by the erection of those beautiful piers and noble jetty. In 1528 the work was commenced, and on the 2nd day of March, 1559, men, women, and children, to the number of one thousand, were employed, and succeeded, in the short space of two days, in causing the water to issue forth into the sea, leaving a depth of ten feet at ebb tide. In1567, the water forced a passage down the old channel, towards the village of Corton. After this disaster, a celebrated Dutch engineer was employed, who commenced his operations by driving and hedging down large stakes and piles, to make a firm substantial foundation; this was first done on the north and afterwards on the south side of the entrance, for the purpose of forcing the ebbing of the tide to run out by a north-east channel. The next step was the erecting of piers for preventing the haven from overflowing, and preserving, at all times of the tide, a sufficient depth of water for ships to float at their moorings. The jurisdiction of the haven includes that part of the sea called Yarmouth roads, extending northward to Scratby, and southward to Corton, in Suffolk.
In 1287, St. Nicholas’ Church was completely inundated by the sea, during a tremendous flood, that did incredible damage to the town, the greater part of which was under water.
In 1554, fifty sail of vessels was lost in one day and night, and the crews perished.
In 1692, a fleet of two hundred sail of colliers, having left the roads with a fair wind, were suddenly assailed by a tremendous gale from the north-east. After they had passed Winterton-ness, some of them tacked and arrived back safe in the roads; the remainder pushed out to sea, but were unable, through its violence, to clear the Ness to the southward. The night was exceedingly dark, and missing the lights, few could find their way; some rode out at a distance; but the rest, amounting to one hundred and forty sail, were driven ashore, completely wrecked, and scarcely any of the crews saved. At the same unfortunate juncture, a number of coasting vessels, laden with grain, bound to Holland, from Lynn and Wells, having just left the roads, experienced the same disaster; so that in the whole more than two hundred vessels and one thousand people were lost in twenty-four hours.
If vessels leaving Flamborough Head, proceed southward, and meet with a heavy gale from any point between north-east and south-east; or if leaving the Yarmouth roads, proceeding to the northward, they are retarded by the wind blowing hard from the north-east, so that they cannot weather Winterton-ness, they become embayed, and the only chance for safety is to run for the Lynn Deeps, in attempting which they are in danger of foundering on the rocks near Cromer, or stranding on the flat shores between Cromer and Wells.
In 1790, seventy sail of ships met with a similar fate, and also their crews.
In 1791, a raging tide inundated the denes and the meadows to such a depth, that boats rowed on Southtown turnpike.
In 1805, a tremendous storm at sea occurred, accompanied by a raging tide, which nearly destroyed the old jetty.
In 1825, a destructive tide ensued, which did much damage to the town. The water flowed nearly to the doors of some of the houses on the quays. The Southtown road was completely overflowed and rendered impassable, the lower apartments in several houses on the west side were under water, and much corn, grain, and other merchandize in the store-houses spoiled.
To do ample justice to the highly interesting records associated with this celebrated sea-port town, would form a volume in itself, and the ingenuity and embellishments displayed by its inhabitants, to be properly appreciated ought to be visited, to form a lasting impression of their industry. Situated on a narrow strip of land, less than a mile in breadth, and stretching five miles from north to south, it cannot boast of any pretty inland scenery, as the country is extremely flat, but it possesses resources interesting and inviting to the stranger.
Its harbour is excellently situated for affording shelter for vessels unable to contend against contrary winds. Its extensive traffic in coal and corn, and above all the celebrity it has attained for its herring and mackerel fisheries, must ever render it a place of the greatest importance. As a watering-place its merits must not be forgotten. Splendid edifices and admirable accommodation have been provided near the sea-shore, enabling its visitors to partake of “delightful breezes to their hearts’ content,” or to mingle with the gaieties of a city life. As a naval station during the late war, it proved highly advantageous; and in accordance with that circumstance, a beautiful Monumental Pillar was erected on the south Denes, about a mile from the town, to the memory of the gallant Nelson. It is of Grecian Doric order, elegantly fluted, and one hundred and forty-four feet in height, ascended by an easy flight of steps. Upon the plinth are the names of the four ships, “Vanguard, Captain, Elephant, and Victory,” on board which the heroic Admiral’s flag was so valorously displayed; and on the coping of the terrace are inscribed the names of the four principal battles—“Aboukir, St. Vincent, Copenhagen, and Trafalgar.” On each of the four sides of the pedestal is a flight of steps leading to the terrace, which affords a promenade round the shaft. The roof is supported by Caryatides, surrounded by a ball, and a figure of Britannia, admirably cast, holding in her hand a trident and a laurel wreath.
On the west side is a very elegant Latin inscription, from the pen of a Norfolk Gentleman, of which the following is a translation:—
HORATIO LORD NELSON,Whom, as her first and proudest champion in naval fights,Britain honoured, while living, with her favour,and, when lost, with her tears;Of whom, signalized by his triumphs in all lands,the whole earthstood in awe on account of the tempered firmness of hiscounsels, and the undaunted ardour of his courage;This great manNORFOLKBoasts her own, not only as born there of a respectable family,And as there having received his early education,But her own also in talents, manners, and mind,The glory of so great a name though sure long toOutlive all monuments of brass and stone,His fellow-countrymen of Norfolk have resolved to commemorateBy this column, erected by their joint contributions.He was born in the year 1758;Entered on his Profession in 1771;And was concerned in nearly 150 Naval Engagements with the enemy.Being Conqueror, among various other occasions,At Aboukir, August, 1798;At Copenhagen, April, 1801;And at Trafalgar, October, 1805:Which last Victory, the crown of so many glorious achievements,He consecrated by a death, equally mournful to his country,And honourable to himself.
HORATIO LORD NELSON,Whom, as her first and proudest champion in naval fights,Britain honoured, while living, with her favour,and, when lost, with her tears;Of whom, signalized by his triumphs in all lands,the whole earthstood in awe on account of the tempered firmness of hiscounsels, and the undaunted ardour of his courage;This great manNORFOLKBoasts her own, not only as born there of a respectable family,And as there having received his early education,But her own also in talents, manners, and mind,The glory of so great a name though sure long toOutlive all monuments of brass and stone,His fellow-countrymen of Norfolk have resolved to commemorateBy this column, erected by their joint contributions.He was born in the year 1758;Entered on his Profession in 1771;And was concerned in nearly 150 Naval Engagements with the enemy.Being Conqueror, among various other occasions,At Aboukir, August, 1798;At Copenhagen, April, 1801;And at Trafalgar, October, 1805:Which last Victory, the crown of so many glorious achievements,He consecrated by a death, equally mournful to his country,And honourable to himself.
FINIS.
The Right Honourable LordWodehouse, the Lord Lieutenant for the County of Norfolk.
The Right Honourable LadyWodehouse.
The Honourable MissWodehouse.
The Right Reverend Dr.Stanley, Lord Bishop of Norwich, President of the Geological and Linnean Societies.
The Most Honourable the Marquis ofDouro, M.P.
The Most Honourable the Marquis ofCholmondeley.
The Right Honourable the Earl ofStradbroke, Lord Lieutenant for the County of Suffolk.
The Right Honourable the Countess ofStradbroke.
The Right Honourable the Earl ofLeicester.
The Right Honourable and Reverend LordBayning.
The Right Honourable LordSondes.
The Right Honourable LordWalsingham.
The Right Honourable LordBeresford.
The Right Honourable LordCharles Townshend.
The Right Honourable LordStafford.
The Right Honourable LordSandon, M.P.
The Right Honourable LordHenniker, M.P.
The Right Honourable LordRendlesham, M.P.
The Honourable and Very ReverendGeorge Pellew, D.D., Dean of Norwich.
The Honourable and ReverendFrederick de Grey.
The Honourable CaptainEdward Thornton Wodehouse, R.N.
The Honourable W. R.Rous.
The Honourable Mrs.Rous.
The Reverend Dr.Buckland, F.R.S. Professor of Mineralogy and Geology in the University of Oxford.
The ReverendAdam Sedgwick, M.A., F.R.S., Woodwardian Professor to the University of Cambridge.
R.Murchison, Esq. President of the Royal Geographical Society.
Charles Lyell, Esq. F.R.S. Vice-President of the Geological Society.
GeneralGrosvenor.
Lieutenant General SirEdward Kerrison, M.P.
Lieutenant ColonelRobert Rushbrooke, M.P.
R.Sanderson, Esq. M.P.
The Honourable Mrs.Sanderson.
Edmond Wodehouse, Esq. M.P.
W. L. W.Chute, Esq. M.P.
Henry Negus Burroughes, Esq. M.P.
William Wilshere, Esq. M.P.
Benjamin Smith, Esq. M.P.
MajorWilliam Beresford, C.B., M.P.
SirRobert J. Harvey.
LadyHarvey.
SirJohn P. Boileau, Bart.
SirJames Clark, Bart. M.D.
SirCharles Mansfield Clarke, Bart. M.D.
Sir T. F.Buxton, Bart.
SirJacob Preston, Bart.
Sir W. J. H. B.Folkes, Bart.
SirWilliam Foster, Bart.
SirRobert Shafto Adair, Bart.
Sir T. S.Gooch, Bart.
Sir T. S.Dickens, K.C.H.
Admiral SirGeorge Parker, K.C.B.
SirHenry Pelly, K.C.B.
J.Petre, Esq.
The Honourable Mrs.Petre.
Adair A. S., Esq., Flixton, Suffolk
Adams Rev. Richard, Edingthorpe
Alexander Rev. John, Norwich
Alexander Captain, Twickenham
Ames Mr., Ingham
Amis Edward, Esq., Heigham
Anderson Mr., Hasborough
Armes Miss, Sutton
Atkinson Rev. Henry, Bacton
Atkinson Mrs., Bacton
Atkinson Charles, Esq., Knapton
Atkinson Roberts, Esq., Walcot
Aufrere Miss, Norwich
Aufrere Rev. George, Ridlington
Aufrere Rev. P. Du Val, Scarning
Austrin Miss, Norwich
Bagge Edward, Esq., Lynn
Baker Robert, Esq., North Walsham
Baker Mr. William, Stalham
Bane Miss, East Ruston
Barber William, Esq., Sutton
Barber Mr., Hickling
Barcham Wm., Esq., Lower Sherringham
Barne Fred., Esq., Dunwich, Kent
Bathurst Rev. Walter, Ludham
Beckwith A. A. H., Esq., Norwich
Bell Richard, Esq., Gorleston
Bell Thos., Esq., F.R.S., London
Betts Mr. John, sen., Hasborough
Bickersteth John, Esq., M.D., Liverpool
Bidwell Henry, Esq., North Walsham
Bignold Samuel, Esq., Norwich
Bilham Mr., Stalham
Birch Rev. Charles, Hasborough
Birkbeck Henry, Esq., Norwich
Blakelock Rev. R., Gimingham
Blyth Mr., North Walsham
Bolton Rev. H., Great Ormesby
Bond Mrs., Bacton
Borrett James, Esq., M.D., Great Yarmouth
Bourne William, Esq., Stalham
Bower William, Esq., Heigham
Brightwen Thomas, Esq., Great Yarmouth
Brightwen John, Esq., Great Yarmouth
Brown John, Esq., Stanway, Essex
Bulman Mr., Hasborough
Bulwer W. E. L., Esq., Heydon-hall
Burrows Rev. H. N., Great Yarmouth
Cannon Mr., Bacton
Cater Wm., Esq., Waxham
Cato Mr., Hasborough
Clark Mrs., Ludham
Clarke Rev. W. H., Great Yarmouth
Clarke Mr., Bacton
Clarke Mr., Hasborough
Clements Mr., Lessingham
Clowes Wm., Esq., Stalham
Clowes John, Esq., Great Ormesby
Clutterbuck Henry, Esq., M. D., London
Cobbold N. R., Esq., Saxmundham
Coleby John, Esq., North Walsham
Coleby Chas., Esq., North Walsham
Colk Wm., Esq., North Walsham
Colk Mr., Ridlington
Colk Mr. John, Scottow
Collins John, Esq., Bacton
Collyer Rev. Dr., Peckham
Comyn Rev. H. N., Brunstead
Conquest J. T., Esq., M.D., London
Cook Robert, Esq., Stalham
Cook Wm., Esq., Stalham
Cook Rev. S., Knapton
Cook Lieut. Thos., F.R.S., Croydon, Surrey
Cook Mr., Forncett St. Peter’s
Copeman Edward, Esq., Coltishall
Cooper Bransby, Esq., F.R.S., London
Cory Mr., Stalham
Cotterill Rev. James, Blakeney
Coulson Wm., Esq., London
Cresswell Fras., Esq., King’s Lynn
Crosse J. G., Esq., F.R.S., Norwich
Crowe Wm., Esq., Catfield
Crowe Mr., Ashmanhaugh
Crowe Mr., Sutton
Cubitt Rev. Benjamin, Sloley
Cubitt Mrs., Southrepps
Cubitt Benjamin, Esq., Lessingham
Cubitt Thomas, Esq., Bacton
Cubitt Mr. William, Bacton
Cubitt Mr. John, Bacton
Cubitt Mr. Thomas, Witton
Cubitt Mr. Thomas, Ridlington
Cubitt Mr. Robert, Ridlington
Cubitt Mr. Tuthill, Waxham
Culley Mr. R., Bacton
Culley Mr., Stalham
Cunningham Rev. F., Lowestoft
Dalrymple Archibald, Esq., Norwich
Day Rev. Chas., Norwich
Deacle Rev. H., Coltishall
Dibol Mrs., Ridlington
Dix Rev. Thos., Irstead
Dix John, Esq., Smallburgh
Ducker Mr., Hasborough
Ducker Miss, Hasborough
Durrant Cubitt, Esq., Brunstead
Durrell Mr. John, East Ruston
Earle Charles, Esq., Cromer
Ebbetts John, Esq., Great Witchingham
Ellis Lieut. F. W., R.N., Southwold
Evans L., Esq., M.D., Norwich
Evans Charles, Esq., Norwich
Faulke Mr. James, Hasborough
Fauquier Rev. G. W., Bacton
Fauquier Mrs., Bacton
Fenn Mr. Thomas, Stalham
Flavell Rev. John, Ridlington
Fletcher Mr. Charles, Hasborough
Flowerday Mr., Norwich
Flowerday Mr., Sutton
Foster Sampson, Esq., Norwich
Fowler Rev. F. C., Lowestoft
Frarey Mr., Lessingham
Frarey Mr., Hasborough
Frarey Mr., jun., Hasborough
Freeman William, Esq., Norwich
Freeman Mr., Hasborough
Gaze Mr. G., Honing
Gaze Mr., sen., East Ruston
Gee Mr., Bacton
Geldart Joseph, Esq., Norwich
Gibbs Mr. V., Stalham
Gibbs Mr. G., Hickling
Gilman C. S., Esq., Norwich
Girling John, Esq., Bacton
Gooch E. S., Esq., Woodbridge, Suffolk
Gooding Jonathan, Esq., F.G.S., Southwold
Goodwin Harvey, Esq., Cromer
Gorham Richard, Esq., Alderton, Suffolk
Gotts Mr. John, Stalham
Groom Mr., Hasborough
Gurney Miss, Northrepps
Gurney R. H., Esq., Norwich
Gurney J. J., Esq., Norwich
Gurney J. H., Esq., Norwich
Gurney Danl., Esq., North Runcton
Guthrie J. G., Esq., F.R.S., London
Hall Mr., Norwich
Harbord Mr. R., Walcot
Harris Lieut. Thos., R.N., Palling next the Sea
Harris Mr. Thos., Ashmanhaugh
Harvey Mr., Stalham
Harwich, the Council for the Borough of
Hastings Mr., Catfield
Hawkins Bissett, Esq., M.D., London
Heath Mr., Hasborough
Heath Mr., Cromer
Henderson Mr., Hasborough
Hewett Mr., sen., Walcot
Hewett Mr., jun., Walcot
Hewitt Rev. John, Lessingham
Hewitt Mr. James, Lessingham
Hilton John, Esq., London
Hoare Chas., Esq., Dawlish, Devonshire
Hoare Mrs.
Hockley Mr. Thos., Stalham
Hockley Mrs.
Howe Mr., Colchester
Howes Mr. R., Ridlington
Howes Mr., North Walsham
Hughes Mr., Lower Sherringham
Hull Robert, Esq., M.D., Norwich
Huke Samuel, Esq., Ludham
Humphrey Mr., North Walsham
Hutchinson Charles, Esq., M.D., Norwich
Image Rev. Thos. Whepstead, Suffolk
Ives Robert, Esq., Calthorpe
Jacobson Rev. Thomas, Magdalen Hall, Oxford
Jackson Lieut. Thos., R.N., Bacton
James Lieut. Thomas, R.N., Lyme Regis, Dorsetshire
Jimpson Mr., Sutton
Jocelyn James, Esq., Ipswich
Johnson Randell, Esq., Tunstead
Keith Thomas M., Esq., Norwich
Kemp E. C., Esq., Coltishall
Kendall Peter, Esq., Aldeburgh, Suffolk
Kennedy Mr., Bacton
Kerrison E. C., Esq., Melbury, Dorsetshire
Key C. Aston, Esq., F.R.S., London
Kitson John, Esq., Norwich
Lacey Mr. Robert, Stalham
Lack Mr. William, Ingham
Lacon J. E., Esq., Yarmouth
Lawes J. E., Esq., Gorleston
Lawrence Mr., Hasborough
Leatherdale Rev. John, Smallburgh
Le-Frank Mr. Thomas, Stalham
Le-Frank Mr. James, Stalham
Leggatt Thomas, Esq., Worstead
Lewis Mr., Ridlington
Long William, Esq., Saxmundham
Long Mr., Hasborough
Lubbock Rev. John, Scottow
Lubbock Edward, Esq., M.D., Norwich
Lyell Mr. Robert, Walcot
M’c Farlane Rev. John, Sutton
Mack Rev. Thomas, Tunstead
Mack John, Esq., Paston
Mack Mr. Thomas, Ludham
Manby Capt. G. W., R.N., Yarmouth
Mann J. R., Esq., Buxton
Manship Mr., Bacton
Marler Mr. Robert, Walcot
Marryat Captain, R.N., Langham
Marshall Mr. James, Bacton
Marshall Mr. William, Bacton
Mason Mr., Bacton
Mathews Rev. R. B., Hingham
Mathews George, Esq., Ingham
Martin Mrs., Bixley Hall
Martin Mrs., Stalham
Mattison Wm., Esq., Dilham
Mays Mr. John, Sutton
Mead Edw., Esq., North Walsham
Millard Rev. C. F., Norwich
Millard Philip, Esq., North Walsham
Mornement Mr., Great Massingham
Mower Mr., North Walsham
Nassau Frederick, Esq., Priory, Colchester
Nassau Mrs.
Neave Mr. Edward, Sutton
Newman Cubitt, Esq., Brunstead
Nickels John, Esq., Lessingham
Nickels Mr. James, Hasborough
Norman John, Esq., Colchester
Opie Mrs., Norwich
Page Mr. John, Ludham
Page Mr. Cubitt, Ludham
Palmer F. N., Esq., Yarmouth
Palmer Mr., Walcot
Parr Mrs., Stalham
Partridge Miss, Norwich
Partridge H. S. Esq., Larlingford
Pestle Mr. John, Stalham
Pilgrim P., Esq., Ingham
Playford Harley, Esq., Northrepps
Plummer Mr. John, East Ruston
Pope Mr., North Walsham
Postle John, Esq., Smallburgh
Postle Wm., Esq., Smallburgh
Potter Mr., Norwich
Potter Mr., Edingthorpe
Pratt R., Esq., Norwich
Pratt Mr. R., Yarmouth
Prentice John, Esq., North Walsham
Preston Mr., Cromer
Prowett Rev. Wm., Catfield
Pull Mr. John, East Ruston
Pulling Capt. John, R.N., Yarmouth
Purdy Wm., Esq., Paston
Pye Mr. William, Hasborough
Ready Rev. Henry, Palling next the Sea
Riadore Evans, Esq., London
Riches Mr., Walcot
Rising Robert, Esq., Horsey next the Sea
Rudd John, Esq., Sutton
Rudd Ash, Esq., East Ruston
Rump Hugh, Esq., Wells next the Sea
Rust J. W., Esq., Cromer
Sandby Rev. G. O., Flixton, Suffolk
Sandell Mr., Walcot
Sanford Mr., Cromer
Saunders W., Esq., Great Yarmouth
Savory Mr. William, Sutton
Scarland Mr., East Ruston
Scott Page N., Esq., Norwich
Sexton Mr. Robert, Bacton
Shepheard Martin, Esq., North Walsham
Shipley Mr., North Walsham
Shipley Mr., Waxham
Siely Andrew, Esq., Walcot
Siely Cubitt, Esq., North Walsham
Siely Mrs., Hasborough
Siely Miss, Stalham
Siely Mr. John, London
Siely Mr. James, Walcot
Siely Mr. John, Hasborough
Siely Mr. James, Hasborough
Siely Mr. William, Lessingham
Silcock Mr. R. B., Stalham
Slipper Mr. John, Stalham
Simons Mr., Cromer
Smith Capt. Spencer, R.N., Great Yarmouth
Smith Mr. R., Norwich
Smith Mr. D., Stalham
Southgate Mr., Hasborough
Spurdens Rev. Thos., North Walsham
Squire R. D., Esq., Blackheath, Kent
Squire Mr., Knapton
Staff Mr., Hasborough
Stanhaw Mr., Norwich
Stark Wm., Esq., F.G.S., Norwich
Stevenson and Matchett Messrs., Norwich
Steward Rev. G. W., Caister
Steward Charles, Esq., Lowestoft
Steward Mr., Yarmouth
Steward Mr., Hickling
Stone Henry, Esq., Norwich
Storey John, Esq., Barton
Sturgess Mr. W., Bacton
Summers Chas., Esq., Surgeon, London
Sunman Mr., Sherringham
Sutton S., Esq., Palling next the Sea
Tanqueray Rev. Chas., Belaugh
Tawke Arth., Esq., M.D., Norwich
Taylor Shepheard, Esq., Dilham
Tonna Lewis J. H., Esq., London
Trory Mr. R., Stalham
Turner Dawson, Esq., Yarmouth
Turner Mr. Joseph, Witton
Upcher Rev. Arthur, Upper Sherringham
Upcher Henry, Esq., Upper Sherringham
Vincent J. P., Esq., London
Vincent Mr. G., Hasborough
Vint Henry, Esq., Colchester
Warner Mr. John, Walcot
Warnes John, Esq., Trimingham
Washington Capt. John, Harwich
Watts Mr. G., Catfield
Webb John, Esq., Stalham
Wells Thomas Mr., sen., Dilham
Wenn Mr. Wm., Smallburgh
West John, Esq., Stalham
Wentworth F. W., Esq., Barnsley
Whaites Charles, Esq., Norwich
Whaites John, Esq., Ingham
Whaites Robert, Esq., Ingham
Whall Mr. R., Sutton
White Rev. James, Stalham
Whittaker Mr., Waxham
Wilemite Miss, Stalham
Wilkins Rev. Edward, Hempstead
Wilkinson Rev. W. F., Saxlingham
Wilkinson G., Esq., North Walsham
Willis Mr., Stalham
Windham Capt. Henry, R.N., Cromer
Winter James, Esq., Norwich
Wiseman Mrs., Bacton
Wiseman Mr. John, Walcot
Wiseman Mr., Hickling
Wittleton Mr., jun., East Ruston
Wodehouse Rev. C. N., Norwich
Wright Warner, Esq., M.D., Norwich
Wright Mr. John, London
Wright Mr., Swafield
Youngman Mr. John, East Ruston.