Summer House

WAGON JACK MADE IN 1764 BY PETER MOHRYORK, PA.USED IN REPAIRING WASHINGTON’S CARRIAGES AT MT. VERNON

WAGON JACK MADE IN 1764 BY PETER MOHRYORK, PA.USED IN REPAIRING WASHINGTON’S CARRIAGES AT MT. VERNON

An original feature restored as Washington had it, was a “Ha Ha” wall extending from opposite the barn to the summer house, also a screen wall flanking the road from the barn to the kitchen.

Summer House

On the brow of the steep hillside, south of the Mansion, overlooking the river, is the summer house. It commands a beautiful view of the broad Potomac, with the Maryland hills beyond, and doubtless was a favorite resort in “ye olden time.” It was restored in 1886, the funds being raised by the Vice-Regent for Louisiana, Mrs. Ida A. Richardson, through the school children of her State. The deep cellar under the summer house was intended for an ice house, but it is believed to have been abandoned as such when another was constructed in a more convenient locality north of the Mansion.

The wooded slope below the summer house was utilized by Washington for his deer paddock, which was restored and stocked with Virginia deer, in 1887, by the sons of the late Mrs. Robert Campbell, Vice-Regent for Missouri.

Telescope

Telescope

Mount Vernon Wharf

Washington shipped much of his farm produce and supplies by water—and today are landed at the wharf many pilgrims to the home and tomb of the “Father of His Country.” The custom of tolling a bell as a mark of respect to his memory is hallowed by its observance for more than a century.

The present covering of the wharf was provided in 1891 by Mrs. Phoebe A. Hearst, late Vice-Regent for California. The parapet for protection of the public was given by the Vice-Regent for the State of Washington, and the Iron Gates by the Vice-Regent for Oregon.

Mrs. Hearst also caused to be built the substantial stone sea-wall as a necessary protection to the wooded shore against wave-wash during storms. This important improvement has enabled the Association to complete the filling of neighboring ravines and swamps, thus accomplishing a valuable reclamation now utilized as meadow land.

From the wharf a road and walk lead to the Tomb and Mansion.

Land Barometer

Land Barometer

Ship Barometer

Ship Barometer

Old Tomb

On the edge of the hill, midway down the road leading to the wharf, an iron-railed enclosure marks where Washington’s remains rested from 1799 until 1831. This vault was constructed by George Washington, but later, believing it to be insecure, he planned another tomb, which his executors built. In April, 1831, all bodies in the old vault were transferred to the new tomb.

The cause of apprehension as to safety of the old structure, resulting in its abandonment, was the frequency of landslides near it.

Extensive repairs to the old tomb were made in 1887 by the Vice-Regent for Michigan. The iron railing was found necessary for protection.

In 1908 the broad flight of brick steps was completely rebuilt, the original material, suitable for the purpose, being used again.

Washington Family

Washington Family

New Tomb

This plain statement empaneled above the doorway of the rigidly simple brick vault at once marks its importance. Within the doubly ironed portals may be seen two marble sarcophagi; that on the right contains the body of General Washington and the one on the left the remains of his wife. At the rear of this open vault, and connected with it through a square iron door, is an inner vault containing the remains of many of the Washington family. To the memory of Bushrod Washington and John Augustine Washington, successors of the General (whose bodies are within the vault), marble shafts were erected in front of the tomb, while to the east are the graves of Nellie Custis and her daughter.

Washington selected this site for the vault only a few months before he died. His executors carried out his explicit directions as to construction, which accounts for its extreme simplicity. Because of Washington’s distaste for display, the character of this tomb should never be changed. Extensive repairs for the preservation of the original structure were made by the Association in 1886. To this hallowed spot come pilgrims from every land.

Within this Enclosure Rest the remains ofGenlGeorge Washington.

Within this Enclosure Rest the remains ofGenlGeorge Washington.

Pohick Church

The parish church of Mount Vernon, six miles distant from the Mansion, was built during the years 1768-70 from the plans drawn by General Washington, who was a member of the building committee. He was a vestryman of the parish for twenty years, and for the greater part of that time was a regular attendant at service, never permitting, as Bishop Meade says, “the weather or company to keep him from church.” Subsequently Washington became connected with Christ Church, Alexandria, where today his family pew may be seen as he used it.

Pohick Church, during the Civil War, was occupied at times by Federal troops and all the interior furnishings were destroyed. The late Vice-Regent for Michigan, Mrs. E. B. A. Rathbone, worked untiringly in the interest of the church, and to her are due the large additions to its endowment fund. Through the efforts of Miss Amy Townsend, former Vice-Regent for New York, both interior and exterior have been faithfully restored to their original appearance at the time of Washington.

To TheUnknown DeadofPohick ChurchThisTribute of Respectis paid theMany ParishionersBuried in this Hallowed ChurchyardThe Records are Lost & the GravesCannot now be Identified1925

To TheUnknown DeadofPohick ChurchThisTribute of Respectis paid theMany ParishionersBuried in this Hallowed ChurchyardThe Records are Lost & the GravesCannot now be Identified1925

MOUNT VERNONModification of an original map drawn by George WashingtonHigh-resolution Map

MOUNT VERNONModification of an original map drawn by George Washington

High-resolution Map

MAP OF THE ESTATE OF MOUNT VERNON, VA.Photographed, Engraved and Printed by The Beck Engraving Co., Phila.High-resolution Map

MAP OF THE ESTATE OF MOUNT VERNON, VA.Photographed, Engraved and Printed by The Beck Engraving Co., Phila.

High-resolution Map


Back to IndexNext