** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ***Peter Pauli**Geb. 10, June, 1792**Gest. 7, Sept., 1884**R. I. P.**Schlafe Wohl, O Vater Schlafe**Deiner Walfahrt Leiden aus**Sanft Sei Dir Der Letzte Schlummer**Dein Erwachen Ohne Kummer*** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
About 1848 Pauli came with his family to America and after a stay in Milwaukee settled in Roxbury, where he died. It is said there are two other Napoleon soldiers buried in this cemetery but their graves have not been identified.
Within site of the cemetery is the Roxbury church, one of the richest rural churches in this section of the state and one which dates to territorial times.
On the return after passing over the bridge at Sauk City, the street due west crosses the railroad track and but a short distance beyond in an oak grove to the left, may be seen about an acre of Indian corn hills. Much of the ground at Prairie du Sac and Sauk City was devoted by the Indians to the growing of vegetables. These corn hills among the oaks are the only ones remaining, now sward covered and much reduced in elevation.
On the knoll or ridge, north of the highway and near the railroad, may be seen some old buildings among a few trees. Here in the spring of 1854, Professor H. J. Turner opened a French and English boarding school, which supplied educational facilities to the community for several years.
From Prairie du Sac there is a paved road all the way to Leland, a distance of some fifteen miles. About a mile east of the last named village may be seen the Natural Bridge. Passing the third house east of the church the car should be stopped where the road bends a little to the left, beyond sight of a farm house and almost in view of the church steeple in the village. In the edge of the wood, several rods north of the road, the natural bridge may be seen. This massive and unusual curiosity, eroded from the sandstone, is on land owned by Richard Radatz.
The return to Baraboo may be made by continuing to the east through Denzer, joining Trunk Line 12 near Kings Corners.
Parfrey's Glen is a rugged gash in the south range of the Baraboo Bluffs. This ravine, an interesting objective for tourists, is about a mile down the slope from Wawanissee Point and some five or six miles east of Devil's Lake. It derives its name from Robert Parfrey, an early resident.
The little stream which has cut this wildly beautiful glen had a romantic history of usefulness in early days. At the present time it is secondary in interest to the Glen itself, the first glimpse of which enthralls the visitor, urging him to journey to the end.
The route from Baraboo to Parfrey's is along the Merrimack road in a southeasterly direction. It leads up a bluff, then down on the opposite side, turning to the left and clinging close to the base of the elevation for some two miles, until it turns into the farmstead of August Roese, located a quarter of a mile north of the main highway. Here the car is abandoned. To reach the Glen a tramp of a half mile is necessary, along a trail which leads over glacial boulders, across a mountain stream, and up a winding way to the opening. The view, as one progresses, includes a charming expanse of rich countryside.
Compared with the other glens of the region, Parfrey's is by far the wildest. The south wall of this ancient cleft in the bluff is almost perpendicular. Only occasionally does an overhanging ledge afford a footing for wood creature or habitation for shrub or fern. High above pines, birches, oaks and other small timber crowd the brink. The cut shows a mass of sandstone and quartzite conglomerate which have been exposed through a long period of erosion. The north slope is clothed in green. Rugged rocks lie along the purling stream, as if cast there by giant hands to impede the pathway. Between them flourish ferns, mosses and an interesting number of native plants. Looking down from the top of the opening the water winds in and out among the moss-clad stones like a translucent ribbon, making soft music whose melody is lost as the stream finds its way to the grass-land. Many birds haunt the Glen; the indigo bunting, the oriole, and scarlet tanager with their brilliant coloring contrast sharply with the grey of the rocks. The note of the song sparrow, the trill of the thrush, and the less marked twitter of many other varieties are heard with delightful frequency.
This cool retreat, so prodigal in charm and comparatively easy of access, should be more widely known than it is to visitors to the Baraboo region.
In early days the Glen-stream was harnessed to a sawmill located near the ravine. Evidences of the ancient, earthen dam are visible to this day. In later years a gristmill made use ofthe power, for some time serving the surrounding community. A story which illustrates the extent of these activities, particularly that of the gristmill, is often related. It seems that the miller was one day greatly puzzled at the non-appearance of flour as his wheels ground round and round. Searching for the cause, it is said, he finally came upon an intruder, no other than a small grey mouse, which was devouring the product of his mill as fast as it sifted through. Also it is told that a distillery at one time, by the aid of the little stream, converted corn from the neighboring fields into "robin hop." During this interval the Glen seemed in grave danger of becoming a popular resort for all those who suffered with a barleycorn thirst and a desire for seclusion. Fortunately for the reputation of the locality, the existence of the worm in the wilderness was brief.
Save for the turf-covered ruins of the ancient dam, all record of the early enterprises is obliterated and memories of the Glen's activities alone remain.
From Baraboo to Durward's Glen is a trip of exceptional interest and scenic beauty. The ten-mile drive over a picturesque highway which stretches along the backbone of the south range of the Baraboo Bluffs affords rare glimpses of open valleys and wooded slopes, with the Wisconsin River visible in the distance. The Glen, the erstwhile home of the gifted Durward family, is a delightful retreat where the visitor is welcome to spread his lunch by the murmuring trout stream, enjoy the natural beauty of the spot, and the charm of interesting association.
In journeying to the Glen, variety of view is obtained by taking the road, from Baraboo, on top of the bluffs and returning by the main highway. The Merrimack road leads via Ringlingville, through Glenville, and on up the bluff to the flat top about three miles from town. Following the first turn to the left a level tract is soon noticed on the right as the machine passes a German Lutheran church and public school. On the unbroken surface reposed a glacial lake hemmed in on one side by ice, and on the other by the hills. But a short distance beyond, on the left, kettle holes (cavities left by melting blocks of ice) may be seen, also the terminal moraine, a ridge of land but a few rods away.
About two miles from the church, where the road curves slightly to the right, a by-road disappears between a farmhouse and barn, formerly the P. Fitzsimmons homestead. Less than a quarter of a mile from the main road, to the right as one proceeds, is Point Sauk, the most elevatedland in the entire region, 1620 feet high. Here one obtains an extensive view. With a glass the capitol dome at Madison, 285 feet high, the highest but one in the United States and the highest but three in the world, nearly thirty miles away, may be seen on the horizon.
FOUNTAIN AT DURWARD'S GLENFOUNTAIN AT DURWARD'S GLEN
Continuing on the main road less than a half-mile to Wawanissee Point. Lake Wisconsin may be seen in the hazy distance, the village of Merrimack being hidden on the right.
Stepping into the wooded pasture and ascending a knoll, a wonderous view is enjoyed. The checkeredfarms, the shimmering lake, the distant hills combine in making one of the charming pictures of the region. Wawanissee is an Indian word which means beauty or beautiful.
To the left, this side of the river, the Owl's Head, a knot of an elevation, lifts itself above the surrounding country.
Turning to the left at the T in the road, swinging to the right at the first turn, the way but a few rods from the T, leads directly to Durward's Glen. There one stops by a gate at the left, after crossing a bridge at the bottom a hill.
Bernard I. Durward, a professor, poet, and painter, was born at Montrose, Scotland, and married Margaret Hilyard in the Episcopal church at Manchester, England. They came to America and some time after, at the request of a friend, Joshua Hathaway of Milwaukee, Mr. Durward painted a portrait of Archbishop Henni. While engaged on the picture, the artist was converted to Catholicism. He often remarked that while he got the bishop's picture, the bishop got him. The portrait, with one of Mr. Hathaway, is now in the possession of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, at Madison.
It was in 1845 that the father, mother, and two sons came from England to Wisconsin, then a territory. They reached Milwaukee without funds but provision for the family was soon assured by an order for a portrait from a merchant in the city. Before making Milwaukee their home, however, the family spent a short time in Dodge County and of this experience a son, Rev. Fr. J. T. Durward, has written:
"Indians being then plentiful and Cooper's tales the popular reading, it was no place for a young wife and children, so he rented a house in Milwaukee; his profession also requiring the more populous locality."
While the family resided in Milwaukee the father painted portraits and occupied the chair of belles lettres in St. Francis seminary. But the ebullitions of life in a city, even the size of Milwaukee, disturbed the artistic mind and the painter sought seclusion in a retreat amongst the Caledonia Hills at the Glen. Like Thoreau, politics, palaces and paved streets had no lure for his aesthetic temperament.
Frederick, afterwards called Bernard, was born in England and died at Riverside, Milwaukee.
Percy, the future artist known as Charles, was born in England and died at the Glen from eating water hemlock. He employed an "o" in his name, spelling it Dorward, the usual form after the so-called reformation. Earlier in Scotch history the name was spelled Durward.
Emerson, afterwards John Thomas, was born in Milwaukee and died in Baraboo in 1918. For many years he had charge of St. Joseph's church in the city, supervised the erection of the present edifice, and wrote a number of books, "Holy Land and Holy Writ," "Durward's Life and Poems," and others.
Emma Theresa, the first daughter, was born and died in Milwaukee. The baby's funeral was by boat and interment was on the Durward property in that city.
Allan, afterwards Rev. James Durward of St. James' Church, St. James, Minnesota, is the owner of the Glen but continues to reside at St. James.
Wilfred J. Durward, taxidermist, photographer, and author of "Annals of the Glen," was born in Milwaukee. For many years his home has beennear Tacoma, Washington, where he married in 1919.
CHAPEL AND VIEWS IN THE GLENCHAPEL AND VIEWS IN THE GLEN
Andrew, born in Milwaukee resides near Tacoma, Washington. His marriage was solemnized in the Glen chapel.
Miss Mary Thecla Durward was born at the Glen and after many years in the state of Washington now calls Baraboo her home.
When the Durward family came from Milwaukee in a one-horse wagon in 1862, crossing the Wisconsin River at Portage, the Glen was reached on November 1, All Saint's Day. Near the trout stream which flows through the Glen and close to the first stepping-stones, is the Maltese Cross cut in the hard sandstone to commemorate their arrival. Just above is the Guardian of the Glen, a bit of art in nature's wild.
Continuing up the stream to the boundary of the Glen property, the brook laughs over the projecting stones. Just below is the Weeping Ledge and as the author of "The Annals of the Glen" remarks; "Here one sees that the Glen is indeed
'Filled with streams forever weeping,Through the rocks in mossy rills.'"
'Filled with streams forever weeping,Through the rocks in mossy rills.'"
When B. I. Durward led visitors to the spot, especially if there were young ladies in the company, he would roguishly remark: "Bathe your brow at the ledge and you will be ever beautiful." Seldom a miss neglected the opportunity.
Ascending the hill by a slender path one reaches St. Mary's of the Pines, standing on a knoll. Here occasionally there has been a baptism, a marriage, and a funeral, three important events in the life of man. The chapel was erected by the family, neighbors and friends in 1866.
Two of the sons, James and John, said their first mass here. (James was ordained at Collegeville, Minnesota, and John at St. Francis, Milwaukee.) Charles, the artist, the father and mother, Father John, as well as others have been buried from it, and one son, Andrew, was married here.
The station shrines encircling the chapel and the cemetery are from designs by Delaroche and others. They were painted by Charles, and erected in 1889. Returning from a trip to Palestine that year, Father John brought a little soil from the site of the stations in the Via Dolorosa at Jerusalem, "and this was incorporated in these making this hill-top a veritable Holy Land."
The father, mother, and two sons sleep on the slope in front of the boulder-made church. The inscription for the elder Durward reads:
** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ***Bernard I. Durward**Poet**Painter, Professor**Born**March 26, 1817**Died**March 21, 1902*** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
For the mother the following appears:
** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ***Theresa M. Durward**Mother of Priests**Born**Feb. 7, 1821**Died**April 22, 1907*** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
The inscription for the priest reads:
** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ***Beloved**Father John**Born**March 7, 1847**Died**Sept. 9, 1918**He Wrought in Words**and Builded of Stone**and by Grace in the**Hearts of Men.*** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
A stone for the artist stands at one side, a portion of the inscription reading:
** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ***Charles Dorward**Born**Sept. 27, 1844**Died**Nov. 12, 1875*** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
When the family first came to the Glen, a little cabin that stood between the bridge, near the spring, and thecliff, was their home. One night a storm arose and the flood of ice, snow and water came pouring through the family shelter. The sleepers were aroused by the onrush and there was much commotion within. As related in "The Annals," one of the urchins, when the lightning flashed, caught sight of the flood from the top of the stair and cried out with pessimistic instinct that afterwards distinguished him:
"O we're all killed, we're all killed."
GUARDIAN ANGEL AT DURWARD'S GLENGUARDIAN ANGEL AT DURWARD'S GLEN
The trap door of the cellar floated open on its hinges, and a confused medley of carrots, beets, onions, and turnips were vomited out, while the rats clung to the grain bags and had to be knocked off into the water.
In this cottage the only daughter, Mary Thecla, was born and in his venerable years the father kept a rose bush growing there to mark the spot.
The family garden was then between the brook and the wooded slope.
Ceaselessly flows the fountain by the path across the bridge. This was erected by the poet in memory of his friends and literary heroes. The Christian and Jewish years will be noticed at the base.
The star at the top of the keystone is for Miss Anna Eliza Star, a friend of the family. She resided in Chicago for many years and gave parlor lectures on art.
A de V is for Aubrey Thomas de Vere (1814-1902), the Irish poet and miscellaneous writer. He was a son of Sir Aubrey de Vere, also an Irish poet.
The Greek delta is the nom de plume under which the poet wrote.
On the right, B is for James Booth, a carver and gilder. He was a friend of Mr. Durward in Manchester, England, and later came to New York.
FIRST HOME OF THE DURWARD FAMILY AT THE GLENFIRST HOME OF THE DURWARD FAMILY AT THE GLEN
P is for Coventry Kersey Dighton Patmore (1823-1896), the English Catholic poet. He is best known as the author of "The Angel in the House."
Val Zimmerman, represented by the Z, was a merchant friend of the poet in Milwaukee. The sign for his store was the blue flag.
Captain John Nader, Madison, was a civil engineer and under his direction the wingdams along the Wisconsin River were built. He often made trips up and down the stream while supervising the work, frequently visiting the Glen.
VIEW OF THE GLENVIEW OF THE GLEN
The letter H on the left is for Joshua Hathaway, another civil engineer, who resided in Milwaukee.
He it was who sent the artist-poet to make a portrait of Archbishop Henni.
The stone marked R was placed in memory of John Ruskin.
The remaining stone is for W. J. Onahan, politician and welfare worker of Chicago.
The four basswood trees at the mouth of the Glen, near the Maltese Cross, are often mentioned as the Melzl Quartette, musical friends of the family.
A view of the Potsdam sandstone and basal conglomerate is best obtained by crossing the stepping stones, moving adroitly, if one would not baptise his soles. The rounded pebbles are of quartzite, broken piecesfrom the Baraboo Mountains of ancient times. Hewing down this wall has been the work of the little trout stream, which has exposed to view the formation left by the waves and action of the Potsdam Sea.
The trout at play in the winding brook and the trees clinging to the fern-clad cliff are interesting sights in this niche of the great outdoors.
The path from the fountain leads to the gallery and low-eaved cottage, the home for many years of the talented family. In the cottage, studio, and gallery the father and sons wrote and painted while the mother made beautiful lace for albs, treasured in many a Catholic church. General Sherman's wife obtained one for her reverend son, Jesuit priest.
Guarding the forest on the crest of the hill to the right is a row of cedars planted in memory of the sons and daughter. Perhaps the Glenman or Glenwoman will tell you about the great Norway spruces of unusual height, about the studio, about "Auld Geordie," the ancient bachelor who gave the disappointing party for the girls of the neighborhood, about the moosewood and other native plants, as well as a word about the feathered visitors that come to the Glen.
The journey to Spring Green, Helena, and Taliesin makes a full day's program. From Baraboo the road leads over highway No. 12 to Prairie du Sac then follows the route through Witwen, Black Hawk, over the big hill and down past the Robson farm where there are a number of Indian mounds on the ridge. There is also a road from Sauk City, known as the river road, which passes Lodde's Mill and Cassell Prairie on the way.
After reaching the village of Spring Green, the road to Helena, the location of the old shot tower, crosses the Wisconsin River and deflects to the left. This shot tower was erected in 1833 as a result of the production of lead in Wisconsin and at the time diverted much of the business from St. Louis to Milwaukee. The enterprise prospered until 1861 when it fell into decay, the land being sold for taxes. Later the location became the site of the Tower Hill Congress and school directed for many years by the late Rev. Jenkin Lloyd Jones of Chicago.
It was here that the American forces crossed the river in the Black Hawk War.
A short distance west of the road which crosses the river near Spring Green is the location of Taliesin, Frank Lloyd Wright's 'love bungalow'. Here on Saturday, August 15, 1914, Julian Carlson, a negro servant, killed seven people with a hatchet, wounding two others. The dead:
Mrs. Mamah Borthwick, a woman, like the owner of the bungalow, with unconventional ideas.
Mrs. Borthwick's son and daughter, John and Martha Cheney, aged 11 and 9 respectively.
Emil Brodelle, aged 30, an architect.
Thomas Brunker, hostler.
Ernest Weston, aged 13.
David Lindblom, gardener.
The injured were William H. Weston and Herbert Fritz, the latter escaping with a broken arm and cuts.
With gasoline the negro set fire to the building and as the occupants attempted to escape through a door and window, one by one, he struck them with a hatchet. The murderer was found in the firebox of the boiler in the basement and died later in the Dodgeville jail as a result of taking muriatic acid soon after committing the crime.
Some of the bodies were burned beyond recognition. "All that was left of her" was buried at Unity Chapel, the Cheney children were cremated in Chicago, the body of Ernest Weston was placed in the Spring Green cemetery, Emil Brodelle was interred in Milwaukee, David Lindblom was lowered in a grave at Unity Chapel and Thomas Brunker sleeps at Ridgeway.
The owner of the property was in Chicago at the time of the tragedy, returning soon after. The building was partly destroyed and later rebuilt along more pretentious lines.
Taliesin was a Cymric bard, whom Welsh legends assign to the 6th century.
Frank Lloyd Wright is an architect of note, having designed the Imperial Hotel in Tokio and other artistic structures.
The return from Spring Green to Baraboo may be made over the scenic route to Plain, thence to Loganville, the County Farm, and Ableman Narrows.
Gibraltar Bluff is reached by crossing the Wisconsin River at Prairie du Sac and proceeding along the highway or by leaving the train at the village of Okee and walking a little more than a mile west. Not only does the climb to the top of this imposing eminence give the refreshment and delight bred of an extensive view but the active exercise necessary for the ascent is guaranteed to produce a keen appetite. When the day is fair the climber is rewarded, when he reaches the crest, by a charming outlook which includes a wide expanse of forest, farm and fell, with Lake Wisconsin half-hidden in the distance. The bluff is a well known haunt of the pasque flower or Badger.
The geologists have recently changed the names of some of the formations which are exposed one above the other. The names as given in the "Geology of Wisconsin," Vol. II, 1873-1877, and the more recent ones are as follows:
Old names—Soil and drift.Lower Trenton limestone.St. Peter sandstone.Lower Magnesian limestone.Madison sandstone.Mendota limestone.Potsdam sandstone.New names—Soil and drift.Black River dolomite.St. Peter sandstone.Lower Magnesian dolomite.Jordan sandstone.St. Lawrence dolomite.Mazomanie sandstone.
Old names—
New names—
About a mile east of Kings Corners, almost opposite a rural school and cemetery, the buildings of a farmstead appear to hug a fringe of wood, high bluffs forming the sky line in the immediate background of the picture. Leaving the car at the home of the owner, Walter Welch, a short walk through a grove brings the visitor against the beetling bluffs; solid, silent, eternities of rock. Pine Hollow is hidden away from the dust ofhooting cars, and is a delightful spot wild and perfect in its quietude. One may wend his way almost a mile up the sylvan slope along a stream purling in its rocky channel.
A picturesque drive of some forty miles is the one to Reedsburg, the County Farm, and return. Trunk Line 33 climbs the terminal moraine about a mile west of Baraboo and from this ice-deposited ridge one obtains an extensive view of the upper portion of the Baraboo Valley. When the ice blocked the elongated depression between the two ranges of Baraboo Bluffs, a lake filled the cavity between the hills to the west. Following the retreat of the ice the water cut a gap in the moraine, draining the area covered by the shallow lake.
As one swings along, occasional glimpses of the Baraboo River is obtained; rounding a sharp curve a horse-shoe bend is traversed; and two miles farther, at Ableman, the Upper Narrows of the Baraboo River crowd the sky line. As with the gorge at Devil's Lake and the one at the Lower Narrows, this was cut by a stream in ancient geological times, filled with sandstone when the sea intruded, and later was again eroded. Like the remnant of a drift of snow in the late spring, in the gorge is a bed of sandstone deposited by the intruding sea. Along the crest on the opposite side of the river as one rides along, conglomerate may be seen, seeming almost ready to topple to the base below. The cement pebbles tell of waves beating on a far-off shore. On the right of the road, near the upper end of the gorge, stands a picturesque rock resisting the elements, an attractive land mark, carved by the eternal sculptor.
As Reedsburg is neared, fox farms are passed. The wily animals are grown for their valuable pelts.
Just after crossing the Baraboo River in Reedsburg, swing to the left, climb the winding road, coast down to the County Farm, turn to the left, drive across Narrows Creek Valley, entering Ableman just after passing through the gorgeous gorge which corresponds in geological history with those of Devil's Lake and the Baraboo River.
Take the launch at Merrimack for a river ride to the hydro-electric plant at Prairie du Sac. Down this river went Joliet and Marquette, the first white men in this region, in June, 1673. Duluth and Hennepin were the first to come up the stream in 1680. Down the waterway went a French force in 1727 to erect a Fort on the Mississippi, and along this course retreated, in 1760, the last French garrison of Machinac, seeking the Illinois country.
Other adventures and expeditions have disturbed these waters in times past and in the middle of the last century a procession of rafts plowed southward. Prior to the advent of the railroad a few river steamers dodged the sandbars as often as they could, but today naught but small craft course the stream.
The boatman may show you the location of Rosalietown, near where the river bends southward, a pioneer hamlet of which nothing now remains. The little cemetery has been eaten away by the river.
A vast and pleasing prospect is obtained from Anacher Hill in Caledonia. From Baraboo the elevation may be reached by driving to the Welch Church on Trunk Line Highway 33, going to the right about two miles, to the left a mile and again to the left a mile. The place may also be reached by driving past Pine Bluff or through Dog Hollow.
From the elevation return to the east and west road, then go east about a mile, not descending the bluff. North of the Scherbath home a few rods, the quartzite is seen to outcrop. In the hard rock may be seen a number of pot holes, similar to those at Devil's Lake. As to whether they were made by a waterfall during glacial times or before, geologists have not determined.
A fine view may be obtained from this outcrop or from the land back of the Scherbath house.
Two or three miles west of Anacher hill, a short distance north of the road extending east of Pine Bluff, is another elevation, the Clifford Capener farm, affording a rare outlook.
Baxter Hollow is an extensive wild and rocky valley about a mile west of Kings Corners. Here granite outcrops, there being an excellent exhibit of the sedimentary quartzite resting upon the igneous formation. Wild deer range here and rattlesnakes in abundance creep. Previous to 1920, A. M. Myers killed over 500 in a few years, exhibiting the rattles as truthful trophies of his invasion of the dens of these deadly creatures. In former times trout from the stream filled the creels of many anxious anglers and wildcats were caught by trappers.
Leave the car above the cement bridge between Baraboo and Lyons, and take a launch for a trip on the Baraboo River to North Freedom. If the boatman is a Burroughs he will show you the muskrat glides, the springs, the flowing wells, and the haunts of the wild life.
From Merrimack a journey may be made up stream, the distance depending on the stage of the water. During the mating season a colony of crows may be seen nesting in the dead trees and in the side of Wild Cat Bluff swallows dwell in unusual number.
About two and one-half miles north of the fair ground, Leach Lake reposes by the road-side. The body of water covers but a few acres and is the source of Leach Creek, famous for cress and trout.
About six miles east of Baraboo, Konkel's Mill is hidden away beneath a hill. The stream from the pond escapes through an inviting wood, where the king fisher clatters in his flight and the squirrel chatters in lofty security.
About three miles west of Sauk City, Lodde's Mill Pond is situated. The rugged bluff and pleasant surroundings attract many visitors. Rare is the day when a number of fishermen are not watching their floats with carking care.
A short distance east of the mill-pond Otter Creek crosses the highway and sinks in the sand, becoming a lost stream.
There is a fine group of Indian mounds a short distance south of the city, near the east road to Devil's Lake, on the farm owned by W. H. Donald. A bear effigy and others compose the group.
This concludes the series of little journeys to be described. Many beautiful ones are omitted, the Hog's Back northwest of Baraboo, many places along the Wisconsin River, and others on the Baraboo Bluffs. By making the twenty-five or more already given, however, one will have acquired a very comprehensive knowledge of Baraboo, Dells, and Devil's Lake region.
Transcriber's NotesMade minor punctuation corrections and the following changes:Index: Changed "Boyhod" to "Boyhood".Orig: XI. Boyhod Homes of John MuirPage5: Changed "occassion" to "occasion".Orig: On one occassion citizens began to arrive for both religiousPage6: Changed "enlightment" to "enlightenment".Orig: village with any pretence to enterprise and enlightmentPage8: Changed "nescessary" to "necessary".Orig: it was nescessary to stoop unusually low when enteringPage9: Changed "insurence" to "insurance".Orig: It is stated there was insurence of $12,000,Page9: Changed "indentified" to "identified".Orig: newspapermen, and others indentified with the cityPage11: Changed "artisic" to "artistic".Orig: impressive and artisic in design,Page13: Changed "metomorphosed" to "metamorphosed".Orig: still later metomorphosed into the hard quartzitePage15: Changed "upifted" to "uplifted".Orig: limestone and iron were upifted and foldedPage15: Changed "2-5" to "2/5".Orig: Average width—2,200 feet or 2-5 of a mile.Page15: Changed "3-5" to "3/5".Orig: Area—388 acres, or 3-5 of a square mile.Pages15-16, Retained "Devils" as the text quotes I. A. Lapham, andgives the Indian translation. Both may have used the plural word.Orig: I. A. Lapham, early Wisconsin traveler and scientist, wrote:"The lake is vulgarly called Devils Lake from the wild, rockyplace in which it is found." The Indian name for Devils Lakeis Minnewaukan, or Evil Spirit Lake.Page19: Changed "Kibourn" to "Kilbourn".Orig: almost continuous avenue of pines into Kibourn.Page19: Changed "distroying" to "destroying".Orig: The erection of the dam, although distroying thesePage21: Changed "peculiarily" to "peculiarly".Orig: named for a peculiarily shaped rock at the entrance.Page21: Changed "grandure" to "grandeur".Orig: entrance to the wild grandure of the Dells.Page22: Changed "submergged" to "submerged".Orig: The Devil's Arm Chair is submergged.Page22: Changed "walkng" to "walking".Orig: power station is within easy walkng distancePage25: Changed "existance" to "existence".Orig: magnates who dared to attempt to obliterate their existance,Page28: Switched position of misplaced third and fourth lines below:Orig: The slopes of the lake are thehome of the trailing arbutis whosehalf exposed, are eagerly sought bydelicate pink blossoms, half hidden,visitors in early spring.Page30: Changed "primative" to "primitive"Orig: dwellings built about a primative mill.Page31: Changed "Morman" to "Mormon".Orig: persuaded to preach for the Morman church,Page33: Changed "distruction" to "destruction".Orig: only saved from distruction by the abundance of snow.Page34: Changed "pre-Indan" to "pre-Indian".Orig: The theory was at one time advanced that a pre-Indan race,Page41: Changed "Wisonsin" to "Wisconsin".Orig: Crossing the canal bridge near the Wisonsin RiverPage41: Changed "sevententh" to "seventeenth"Orig: three famous travelers in the late sevententh century.Page42: Changed "fifteen-hundreths" to "fifteen-hundredths".Orig: sold in 1853, the nineteen and fifteen-hundreths acresPage46: Changed "Gilyre" to "Gilrye".Orig: David Gilyre, born July 11, 1840;Orig: Joanna Gilyre, born on September 7, 1850;Page47: Changed "existanc" to "existence".Orig: The villages have been rivals since they came into existancePage48: Changed "dismouted" to "dismounted".Orig: Ewing in the center, dismouted, formed in line,Page48: Changed "meatime" to "meantime".Orig: The Indians in the meatime had been drivenPage50: Changed "achievments" to "achievements".Orig: one of the most splendid achievments in military history.Page51: Changed "curiousity" to "curiosity".Orig: This massive and unusual curiousity,Page53: Changed "existance" to "existence".Orig: the existance of thePage62: Changed "gardner" to "gardener".Orig: David Lindblom, gardner.Page64: Changed "sedementary" to "sedimentary".Orig: exhibit of the sedementary quartziteAll other spelling or hyphenation inconsistencies have been retained to match the original book.