Chapter 5

>

TOMB ASSIGNED TO BISHOP RICHARD OF WYCH, AND PICTURES ORIGINALLY BY BERNARDI. Photochrom Co. Ltd., photo.

TOMB ASSIGNED TO BISHOP RICHARD OF WYCH, AND PICTURES ORIGINALLY BY BERNARDI. Photochrom Co. Ltd., photo.

Gilbert de Sancto Leophardo(1288-1305) was a bishop who, like S. Richard, devoted himself to his diocesanduties with a singleminded purpose which was not a common virtue with all mediæval prelates. He endeavoured to regulate the habits of those clergy who accepted their privileges but were inclined to neglect the duties and responsibilities these involved. His interest in the fabric of the cathedral was expressed principally by the additions that were made to the lady-chapel during his episcopate.

John Langton(1305-1337) took a conspicuous part in the suppression of the knights templars during the reign of Edward II. in obedience to the papal order regarding them. He was Chancellor of the Realm before his elevation to the episcopate, and showed his energy as a statesman locally by commanding the restoration of rights to some vicars of the cathedral who had been suspended in accordance with the provisions of certain statutes which the dean and chapter made without his consent. Like Bishop Gilbert, he was an instrument by whose sanction more changes were made in the building.

Robert of Stratford(1337-1362), another statesman bishop, succeeded Langton. He had also been chancellor, and asserted his episcopal authority as sternly as his predecessor.

OfWilliam of Lynn(1362-1368) and his episcopacy little record remains; but

William Rede(1369-1385) earned some repute as a scholar, and was the founder of Merton College Library in Oxford, and it is to him that the diocese is indebted for the preservation of the early records relating to the see. Nothing of importance is known of the next three bishops:

Thomas Rushoke(1385-1389).

Richard Metford(1389-1395).

Robert Waldby(1395-1396).

Robert Rede(1397-1415), whose register is the earliest among those that remain, occupied the see during the reign of Henry IV. This record contains many interesting details concerning the part its compiler took in the endeavour to suppress the doctrines of Wycliffe and the Lollards; and it also shows that much disorder prevailed among the canons and vicars of the cathedral. One of the canons, besides stealing money from the treasury, appropriated for his private use some materials which had been intended for the repairof the church. Rectors of parishes allowed their cures to fall into a state of destitution, and left them to the care of poorly paid vicars while they themselves resided elsewhere. The see was not filled for two years after the death of Rede. Then followed in succession:

Stephen Patryngton(1417).

Henry Ware(1418).

John Kemp(1421).

Thomas Poldon(1421).

John Rickingale(1426).

Simon Sydenham(1429).

No registers remain relating to the affairs of the episcopate during the twenty years covered by their occupation of the see.

In the register left byRichard Praty(1438-1446) there is evidence that many of the negligences censured by Bishop Rede were still without correction. The discipline of the monastic houses in Sussex is represented as having become very lax.

Adam Moleyns, orMolyneux(1446-1450), was instrumental in arranging the marriage of Henry VI. with Margaret of Anjou. Many concessions were granted to him by the king for the benefit of himself and the diocese, but having become unpopular he was murdered by some sailors in Portsmouth early in 1450 when on his way to France.

Reginald Pecock(1450-1459), "being convicted of heresy, he resigned his bishopric," so say the records of the cathedral.

John Arundel(1459-1478). The record of his episcopal administration has been lost; but it is known that he built the screen named after him. He appears, however, to have been much less restless than his predecessor.

Edward Storey(1478-1503) has left in his register full accounts of his deeds and the condition of the diocese. It shows the latter had again become very disordered. Both the regular and secular bodies are charged with abusing the trust committed to them. Bishop Storey tried to correct this state of things. He proved his usefulness, otherwise, by the foundation of the Prebendal, or Free Grammar-School, in Chichester, and also by giving the Market Cross to the city for the benefit of the poor.

OfRichard Fitz-James(1503-1508) and his administration there is but little information.

WithRobert Sherburne(1508-1536) we come to the close of a long period of ecclesiastical history—one during which the distinctly Christian, as opposed to the pagan, principles and forms of art had been developed. As bishop at Chichester he represented the Church and those principles which then in the west were taught in her name. Accordingly he protested against "the King's most dreadful commandment concerning (with other things) the uniting of the Supreme head of the Church of [? in] England with the Imperial Crown of this realm; and also the abolishing and secluding out of this realm the enormities and abuses of the Bishop of Rome's authority, usurped within the same." He wrote thus in 1534 to Cromwell. And obeying this command from the civil authority, he caused these orders to be published throughout the diocese. As a subject he obeyed his king; but, being honest, he could not as a bishop and a man disregard his principles when he found such obedience involved their denial. Consequently he resigned the see in 1536.

Richard Sampson(1536-1543) took part in the Reformation movement. Although he had defended the principle that the king was to be considered "high governor under God, and Supreme head of the Church of England," his principles appear to have been easily affected by the political weather that prevailed. His attitude in favour of every principle involved in the acceptance of the papacy appears in the support he gave to doctrines which had been rejected by the party of reform. He no doubt feared the results that might follow upon another attempt to adapt the Church's constitution to changed conditions.

In the time ofGeorge Daye(1543-1552) the pendulum moved again across the face of the political and ecclesiastical clock. He was a man whose convictions led him to support those same six articles which had been upheld by Bishop Sampson; and he attempted to prevent the introduction of the first prayer-book of Edward VI. in 1549, as well as the destruction of the earlier service-books in the following year. He was a man to be respected, for in the face of general opposition he proved that his convictions on importantaffairs were not ready to change at the sudden bidding of a new authority which he was unable to recognise. As he was not to be persuaded that his position was wrong, he was removed from the see towards the end of the year 1551. But we meet him again presently, for BishopJohn Scory(1552-1554), who took his place, retired soon after Mary's accession. Bishop Daye came back to favour, preached at the coronation, reoccupied the see, and was now "a mighty busy man."37He caused some recent orders to be reversed by reviving the use of the earlier forms of liturgy, restoring the older ceremonial, and again setting up those altars in the churches which should never have been broken down. In his own words Daye "styeked" not at things trivial; but he would not assent to the abolition of essentials, however much they had been misused or become offensive in the eyes of untutored civil dignitaries and their party followers. Daye on his restoration had attempted to remove reformers and their opinions from the diocese by the aid of faggots and flames. ButJohn Christopherson(1557-1559) was more energetic in upholding his authority and ideas by this same means; for Mary, though she would revive the papal supremacy, yet retained in her own hands the ecclesiastical position which the Throne in England had already assumed.

At the close of Mary's reign Bishop Christopherson died, and in his place Elizabeth putWilliam Barlow(1559-1568), who had been removed from the see of Bath and Wells by her predecessor. He made some attempt to remove a variety of irregularities which had been introduced since the death of Sherburne, for the services of the Church had become much disordered in consequence of the many changes of attitude which had been favoured by the rulers, both civil and ecclesiastical, during nearly thirty years. Barlow's endeavour to bring this chaos to a new order was in accord with the methods of those who sought reform. He tried to carry out the injunction of Parker, the Primate, whose aim was to "reduce all to a Godly uniformitie." But any desire for unity in diversity was not likely to be satisfied unless it was sought for with at least some unanimity of hope and aim. After his death the see remained vacant for two years.

Richard Curteys(1570-1583) found the revenues of his see so reduced that he was unable properly to fulfil the ordinary obligations of his position. He did not spare himself in his endeavour to do the duties he had undertaken. With the assistance of others he methodically instructed the diocese under his charge, and so well was this done that a contemporary said "the people with ardent zeale, wonderful rejoicinge, and in great number, take farre and long journeys to be partakers of his good and godly lessons."38This excellent man, however, owing to the political spoliation of the church, died impoverished in 1583.

From 1583 till 1585 no bishop was appointed, but in the latter yearThomas Bickley(1585-1596) was selected.

Antony Watson(1596-1605) was Bishop of Chichester when James became king. He was occupied much in furthering Whitgift's endeavour to improve the condition of the Church in England by urging conformity to the newly ordered methods of ecclesiastical government and procedure.

Launcelot Andrews(1605-1609) then ruled the diocese until he was transferred to Ely.

He was followed bySamuel Harsnett(1609-1619), who was an opponent of the Calvinistic attitude of thought. The records of his visitations ask some pertinent questions, which show how the Cathedral Church itself was being served. He inquires, "Have not many of the vicars and lay vicars been absent for months together? Is the choir sufficiently furnished, and are the boys properly instructed? What has become of the copes and vestments? Who is responsible for the custody of them and of the books? Are there not ale-houses in the close? Why are all these things not amended since the last visitation?" This was the state of affairs in the cathedral church of the diocese at the beginning of the seventeenth century; and during the two hundred years that followed there is but little improvement to remark. Certainly inGeorge Carleton's (1619-1628) and inRichard Montagu's day (1628-1638) there was not much change, for the latter asks in every parish "whether communicants 'meekly kneel,' or whether they stand or sit atthe time of reception: Whether the Holy Table is profaned at any time by persons sitting upon it, casting hats or cloaks upon it, writing or casting up accounts or any other indecent usuage."39And in consequence the archbishop desired to restore some sense of order and decency to the minds of both the clergy and laity by replacing the altars in their proper positions again. He asks, therefore, BishopBrian Duppa(1638-1641), in the questions put during the first visitation of parish churches, "Is your communion-table, or altar, strong, fair and decent? Is it set according to the practice of the ancient Church,—upon an ascent at the east end of the chancel, with the ends of it north and south? Is it compassed in with a handsome rail to keep it from profanation according to an order made in the metropolical visitation?"40

During the episcopate ofHenry King(1642-1670) the diocese was a theatre of rebellion and civil war. Chichester was taken on December 29th, 1642, by Waller and the Parliamentary soldiers after a siege of eight days. Bishop King repaired, after the Restoration, the wrecked cathedral and the episcopal palace, but this appears to be all that is known of him.

Peter Gunning(1670-1675) was the first Bishop of Chichester appointed after the Restoration. He had suffered for the tenacity with which he clung to his principles during the period of the Rebellion. Having been ejected from a fellowship at Cambridge, he came to London, and there, with no little audacity, he ministered and taught as a loyalist and Churchman.

ButRalph Brideoake(1675-1678) watched the political and ecclesiastical weathercocks, and feathered his nest. He had been "Chaplain to Speaker Lenthall, who gave him the rich living of Witney, near Oxford, where we are told he 'preached twice every Lord's Day, and in the evening catechised the youth in his own house; outvying in labour and vigilancy any of the godly brethren in those parts.' In 1659 he was made one of the 'triers,' yet immediately after the Restoration he was rapidly promoted to a canonry at Windsor, to the Deanery of Salisbury, and finally to theBishopric of Chichester."41Though Bishop Henry King had endeavoured to restore the cathedral and the buildings of the precincts, these still were in a state of extreme dilapidation, for Bishop Brideoake's record of his visitation shows that the towers, windows, and cloisters had not yet been repaired.

Guy Carleton(1678-1685) was a Royalist bishop of a most consistent type. On two occasions he had been turned out of a cure by the Parliamentary "triers" for his opinions; but in his eighty-second year he came from the see of Bristol to Chichester.

Another Royalist, who as a soldier had supported the cause of Charles I., occupied the see after Carleton. This wasJohn Lake(1685-1689). He was one of those seven bishops who protested against James's Declaration of Indulgence.

Simon Patrick(1689),Robert Grove(1691),John Williams(1696),Thomas Manningham(1709),Thomas Bowers(1722), andEdward Waddington(1724) served in the episcopate successively.

Francis Hare(1731-1740) then filled the vacancy. He wasted some of his time in useless controversy, and, as the Duke of Marlborough's chaplain, made his office cheap, though perhaps popular, by occasionally dilating in his sermons upon the genius and military skill of his patron. He was a man of some capacity, who advised conformity to the meagre and starved ideals of the then accepted orthodoxy. Apparently he deemed this course a safe one, where there could, it appears, be little other guidance for those who still had any faith, except in the conventionalities of what had become ecclesiastical custom. He saw that the interpretation which individual opinion in its practical rejection of Christian ordinances would read into faith was likely to be no more than a new expression of early and mediæval heresies.

Mathias Mawson(1740-1754) was bishop after Hare; and then SirWilliam Ashburnham(1754-1799) came to the diocese and occupied the see for forty-five years, "the longest episcopate since the foundation of the see."42

Before the close of the eighteenth centuryJohn Buckner(1799-1824) succeeded Ashburnham.

In 1824Robert James Carr, and in 1831Edward Maltby, were appointed to the see.

S. CLEMENT'S CHAPEL, AND TOMB OF BISHOP DURNFORD (SEE p. 83). S.B. Bolas & Co., photo.page 83

S. CLEMENT'S CHAPEL, AND TOMB OF BISHOP DURNFORD (SEE p. 83). S.B. Bolas & Co., photo.page 83

William Ottersucceeded (1836-1840). During his episcopate the Diocesan Association was founded in 1838 to help the clergy and laity of the diocese to provide themselves with better schools, to increase the means of instruction andministration, to restore or enlarge their churches and schools, and to provide new ones when they had the opportunity afforded by sufficient means. Bishop Otter and Dean Chandler succeeded in establishing a theological college in the city.

Philip N. Shuttleworth(1840-1842),Ashurst Turner Gilbert(1842-1870), andRichard Durnford(1870-1895) were succeeded byErnest Roland Wilberforce, the present bishop, who was translated to the see from Newcastle in 1895.

DEANS OF CHICHESTER.

Odo, 1115.

Richard, 1115.

Matthew, 1125.

Richard, 1144.

John de Greneford, 1150.

Jordan de Meleburn, 1176.

Seffride, 1178.

Matthew de Chichester, 1180.

Nicholas de Aquila, 1190.

Seffride, 1197.

Simon de Perigord, 1220.

Walter, 1230.

Thomas de Lichfield, 1232.

Geoffrey, 1250.

Walter de Glocestrin, 1256.

William de Brakelsham, 1276.

Thomas de Berghstede, 1296.

William de Grenefeld, 1302.

John de St. Leophardo, 1307.

Henry de Garland, 1332.

Walter de Segrave, 1342.

William de Lenne, 1356.

Roger de Freton, 1369.

Richard le Scrope, 1383.

William de Lullyngton, 1389-1390.

John de Maydenhith, 1400.

John Haselee, 1407.

Henry Lovel, 1410.

Richard Talbot, 1415.

William Milton, 1420.

John Patten, or Waynflete, 1425.

John Crutchere, 1429.

John Waynfleet, 1478.

John Gloos, 1481.

John Prychard, 1501.

Geoffrey Symson, 1504.

John Young (Bishop), S.T.P. 1508.

William Fleshmonger, 1526.

Richard Camden, 1541.

Giles Eyre, S.T.D, 1549.

Bartholomew Traheron, S.T.P., 1551-1552.

Thomas Sampson, S.T.P., 1552-1553.

William Pye, 1553.

Hugh Turnbull, 1558.

Richard Curteis, 1566.

Anthony Rushe, 1570.

Martin Culpepper, M.D, 1577.

William Thome, 1601.

Francis Dee, 1630.

Richard Steward, 1634-1635.

Bruno Ryves, 1646.

Joseph Henshaw, 1660.

Joseph Gulston, S.T.P., 1663.

Nathaniel, Lord Crew, LL.D., 1669.

Thomas Lambrook, 1671.

George Stradling, S.T.P., 1672.

Francis Hawkins, S.T.P.,1688.

William Hayley, S.T.P., 1699.

Thomas Sherlock, 1715.

John Newey, 1727.

Thomas Hayley, D.D., 1735-1736.

James Hargraves, D.D., 1739.

William Ashburnham, Bart., 1741.

Thomas Ball, A.M., 1754.

Charles Harward, 1770.

Combe Miller, 1790.

Christopher Bethell, 1814.

Samuel Slade, 1824.

George Chandler, D.C.L., 1830.

Walter Farquhar Hook, D.D., 1859.

John William Burgon, D.D., 1875.

Francis Pigou, D.D., 1887.

Richard William Randall, D.D., 1892.

BISHOPS OF SELSEA AFTER EADBERT.

Eolla, 714.

Sigga, or Sigfrid, 733.

Aluberht, 739.

Osa, or Bosa, 765-770.

Gislehere, 780.

Totta, 785.

Wiohtun, or Peletun, 789-805.

Aethelwulf, 811-816.

Cenred, 824-838.

Gutheard, 860-862.

Bernege, or Beornegus, 909-922.

Aelfred, 931-940.

Aethelgar, 944-953.

Ordbright, 963-979.

Ealmar, 944-953.

Aethelric I., 1032-1038.

Hecca, 1047-1057.

Aethelric II, 1058-1070.

Stigand, 1070.

ANCIENT BUILDINGS IN THE CITY.

ANCIENT BUILDINGS IN THE CITY.

Amongst other interesting architectural monuments, closely connected with the cathedral or the bishops, the following may be particularly noticed:

TheBishop's Palacehas an interesting chapel, in which a small fresco of the "Virgin and Child" of an early date is still preserved. The dining-room has a panelled wooden ceiling. The painting on it was originally executed in Sherborne's day, but it has suffered by decay and attempts at restoration since the sixteenth century.

TheVicars' Hallis to the south-east of the cathedral.

TheCanon Gateis the archway in South Street, which leads to the palace, the deanery, and other buildings connected with the cathedral.

TheMarket Crosswas built by Bishop Storey about the year 1500 (see illustration, p. 100).

S. Mary's Hospitalwas founded about the middle of the twelfth century; but the existing building dates from the end of the thirteenth century. It maintains five aged women by a weekly allowance to each, with fuel and medical attendance free.

PAINTED DECORATION FORMERLY ON THE CHOIR VAULT, FROM AN ENGRAVING BY T. KING 1814 (SEE PAGES 42-43). (Lent by the Reverend Prebendary Bennett.) (Scale about 7 feet 10½ inches to 1 inch.)page 42

PAINTED DECORATION FORMERLY ON THE CHOIR VAULT, FROM AN ENGRAVING BY T. KING 1814 (SEE PAGES 42-43). (Lent by the Reverend Prebendary Bennett.) (Scale about 7 feet 10½ inches to 1 inch.)page 42

INDEX.

Aethelgar, Bishop,

106

Aethelric, Bishop,

106

Apsidal termination,

8

,

9

,

17

,

24

Arundel, Bishop,

32

---- Earl of, William,

6

;

Countess of,86

---- monuments,

86

---- screen,

32

,

46

Barlow, Bishop,

117

Bell tower,

30

Bernardi, paintings by,

34

Brideoake, Bishop,

120

Buttresses, nave,

58

Chapels added to nave,

24

Chapel of S. Catharine,

94

---- of S. Clement,

86

---- of Four Virgins,

85

---- of S. Mary Magdalen,

90

,

98

---- of S. Pantaleon,

90

---- of SS. Thomas and Edmund,

85

Chapter House,

27

Choir (exterior),

65-71

;

interior,88

Cloister,

62

Consecration,

6

,

19

Consistory Court,

83


Back to IndexNext