Illustration: ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.The upper compartment represents the entombment of the bishop. The middle of the design is occupied by an altar tomb, into which the body, swathed in a diapered winding-sheet, is being lowered.The ends of the bier are supported by two kneeling figures.[pg 086]On the side of the tomb furthest from the spectator is a bishop or abbot without the mitre looking toward a figure on his right, who carries a tablet or open book with some words upon it.At either extremity of this panel stands a figure censing the corpse with a circular thurible.The border of each compartment is formed by a double invected pattern of gold and enamel. The ridge-piece is of copper perforated with eight keyhole ornaments.The back of the shrine is also divided into two compartments, and is decorated with quatrefoils.It is pierced in the middle of the upper border by a keyhole communicating with a lock on the inside.The right-hand gable is occupied by the figure of a female saint. The left gable is occupied by the figure of a male saint.A border of small gilt quatrefoils on a chocolate ground runs round the margins of the two ends and four back plates.Those parts of the copper plates which are not enamelled are gilded, while the colours used in the enamelling are blue, are light-blue, green, yellow, red, chocolate, and white.In the interior, on that side to which the lower front plate corresponds, is a crosspattée fitchéepainted in red upon oak, which oak bears traces of having been stained with blood or some other liquid. The wood at the bottom is evidently modern. This reliquary is said to have been originally placed upon the high altar. It appears to have been preserved by some ancient Roman Catholic family until it came into the possession of the late Canon Russell, and bequeathed by him to the authorities of the cathedral.The art of enamelling metals appears to have been introduced from Byzantium through Venice into Western Europe at the close of the tenth century. After this time Greek artists are known to have visited this country, and to have carried on a lucrative trade in the manufacture of sacred vessels, shrines, etc.Ancient Gold Rings.One of pure gold, supposed to have been worn by a knight templar, was ploughed up near Hereford. The device on the raised besel is a cross pattée in a square compartment, on each side of which are a crescent and a triple-thonged scourge.[pg 087]Within the hoop is engraved in black-letter character "Sancte Michael." Date about 1380.A massive ring set with a rough ruby of pale colour was found in the tomb of Bishop Mayew. On each side a bold tan cross with a bell is engraved. These were originally filled with green enamel. Inside is engraved and enamelled "Ave Maria."A superb ring was also found in Bishop Stanbury's tomb, on the north side of the altar. It contains a fine and perfect sapphire, and flowers and foliage are beautifully worked in black enamel on each side of the stone.A fine gold ring was discovered in Bishop Trilleck's grave in 1813, but was stolen in 1838 from the cathedral. It was never recovered, though£30 was offered as a reward.The Stained Glasshas survived only in a few fragments, scattered about the eastern end of the cathedral.Some of the best, apparently of early fourteenth century date, is in one of the lancets on the south side of the Lady Chapel, west of the Audley Chapel. The subjects are:1. Christ surrounded by symbols of the four evangelists; 2. Lamb and flag; 3. Angel and Maries at the sepulchre; 4. Crucifixion; 5. Christ bearing His cross.In the north-east transept is an ancient glass window, restored and entirely releaded by Warrington, at the cost of the Dean and Chapter, Oct. 1864. It is a fairly good specimen of fourteenth century work. For many years it was hidden away in old boxes, and was formerly fixed in some of the windows on the south side of the nave.The figures represent—1. St. Katherine; 2. St. Michael; 3. St. Gregory; 4. St. Thomas of Canterbury.In the south-east transept, again, is a window of ancient glass, erected under the same circumstances. The figures in this case represent—1. St. Mary Magdalene; 2. St. Ethelbert; 3. St. Augustine; 4. St. George.In the north aisle of the nave is a two-light window by Warrington. It was erected in 1862 by Archdeacon Lane Freer to the memory of Canon and Mrs. Clutton. The subjects are from the life of St. John the Baptist.In the north transept is a very fine memorial window to Archdeacon Lane Freer, erected at a cost of £1316. The window is one of the largest of the Geometric period (temp.[pg 088]Edward I.) in England, the glass being 48 feet 6 inches in height by 21 feet 6 inches in breadth. About five or six shades each of ruby and Canterbury blue are the dominating colours. Plain white glass has also been wisely used in the upper part of the window. It was designed and erected by Messrs. Hardman.There is a small window by Clayton and Bell in the north aisle of the choir to the memory of John Hunt, organist of the cathedral. The subjects, in eight medallions, are:—1, 2. King David; 3, 4. Jubal; 5, 6. Zachariah the Jewish Priest; 7. St. Cecilia; 8. Aldhelm. In Bishop Stanbury's Chapel is a memorial window to Archdeacon Musgrave, of which the subjects are:—1. St. Paul present at the Martyrdom of S. Stephen; 2. Conversion of St. Paul; 3. The Apostle consecrating Presbyters; 4. Elymas smitten with Blindness. In the lower part of the window, 5. Sacrifices to Paul and Barnabas at Lystra; 6. St. Paul before the Elders at Jerusalem; 7. His Trial before Agrippa; 8. His Martyrdom.Illustration: MONUMENTAL CROCKET.MONUMENTAL CROCKET.Illustration: EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.The five eastern windows in the Lady Chapel were designed by Mr. Cottingham, junior, and executed by Gibbs, to the memory of Dean Merewether.A series of twenty-one subjects, in medallions, connected[pg 089]with the life of our Lord. These windows were erected in 1852.In the south-east transept is a memorial window to Bishop Huntingford, 1816 to 1832. It was designed and manufactured by Warrington at the sole cost of Lord Saye and Sele.The upper part of the tracery is filled with the arms of George III., those of the See of Gloucester, the See of Hereford, Winchester College, and of the bishop's family.The subjects, relating to St. Peter, are:—1. His Call; 2. Walking on the Sea; 3. Receiving the Keys; 4. Denial of our Lord; 5. S. Peter and S. John at the Gate of the Temple; 6. Baptism of Cornelius; 7. Raising of Dorcas; 8. Deliverance from Prison by an Angel.In the north and south side of the clerestory of the choir are simple stained glass windows, consisting of various patterns. They were manufactured by Messrs. Castell of Whitechapel.The eastern central window of the choir was an anonymous gift in 1851, executed by Hardman.Its beauties are entirely lost at its present height from the ground. The circular medallions are 3 feet in diameter, the subjects being:—1. The Ascension; 2. The Resurrection; 3. The Crucifixion.The upper semi-circles represent Christ healing lepers and demoniacs; the lower, His being taken down from the Cross, and Mary with the box of precious ointment.
Illustration: ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.The upper compartment represents the entombment of the bishop. The middle of the design is occupied by an altar tomb, into which the body, swathed in a diapered winding-sheet, is being lowered.The ends of the bier are supported by two kneeling figures.[pg 086]On the side of the tomb furthest from the spectator is a bishop or abbot without the mitre looking toward a figure on his right, who carries a tablet or open book with some words upon it.At either extremity of this panel stands a figure censing the corpse with a circular thurible.The border of each compartment is formed by a double invected pattern of gold and enamel. The ridge-piece is of copper perforated with eight keyhole ornaments.The back of the shrine is also divided into two compartments, and is decorated with quatrefoils.It is pierced in the middle of the upper border by a keyhole communicating with a lock on the inside.The right-hand gable is occupied by the figure of a female saint. The left gable is occupied by the figure of a male saint.A border of small gilt quatrefoils on a chocolate ground runs round the margins of the two ends and four back plates.Those parts of the copper plates which are not enamelled are gilded, while the colours used in the enamelling are blue, are light-blue, green, yellow, red, chocolate, and white.In the interior, on that side to which the lower front plate corresponds, is a crosspattée fitchéepainted in red upon oak, which oak bears traces of having been stained with blood or some other liquid. The wood at the bottom is evidently modern. This reliquary is said to have been originally placed upon the high altar. It appears to have been preserved by some ancient Roman Catholic family until it came into the possession of the late Canon Russell, and bequeathed by him to the authorities of the cathedral.The art of enamelling metals appears to have been introduced from Byzantium through Venice into Western Europe at the close of the tenth century. After this time Greek artists are known to have visited this country, and to have carried on a lucrative trade in the manufacture of sacred vessels, shrines, etc.Ancient Gold Rings.One of pure gold, supposed to have been worn by a knight templar, was ploughed up near Hereford. The device on the raised besel is a cross pattée in a square compartment, on each side of which are a crescent and a triple-thonged scourge.[pg 087]Within the hoop is engraved in black-letter character "Sancte Michael." Date about 1380.A massive ring set with a rough ruby of pale colour was found in the tomb of Bishop Mayew. On each side a bold tan cross with a bell is engraved. These were originally filled with green enamel. Inside is engraved and enamelled "Ave Maria."A superb ring was also found in Bishop Stanbury's tomb, on the north side of the altar. It contains a fine and perfect sapphire, and flowers and foliage are beautifully worked in black enamel on each side of the stone.A fine gold ring was discovered in Bishop Trilleck's grave in 1813, but was stolen in 1838 from the cathedral. It was never recovered, though£30 was offered as a reward.The Stained Glasshas survived only in a few fragments, scattered about the eastern end of the cathedral.Some of the best, apparently of early fourteenth century date, is in one of the lancets on the south side of the Lady Chapel, west of the Audley Chapel. The subjects are:1. Christ surrounded by symbols of the four evangelists; 2. Lamb and flag; 3. Angel and Maries at the sepulchre; 4. Crucifixion; 5. Christ bearing His cross.In the north-east transept is an ancient glass window, restored and entirely releaded by Warrington, at the cost of the Dean and Chapter, Oct. 1864. It is a fairly good specimen of fourteenth century work. For many years it was hidden away in old boxes, and was formerly fixed in some of the windows on the south side of the nave.The figures represent—1. St. Katherine; 2. St. Michael; 3. St. Gregory; 4. St. Thomas of Canterbury.In the south-east transept, again, is a window of ancient glass, erected under the same circumstances. The figures in this case represent—1. St. Mary Magdalene; 2. St. Ethelbert; 3. St. Augustine; 4. St. George.In the north aisle of the nave is a two-light window by Warrington. It was erected in 1862 by Archdeacon Lane Freer to the memory of Canon and Mrs. Clutton. The subjects are from the life of St. John the Baptist.In the north transept is a very fine memorial window to Archdeacon Lane Freer, erected at a cost of £1316. The window is one of the largest of the Geometric period (temp.[pg 088]Edward I.) in England, the glass being 48 feet 6 inches in height by 21 feet 6 inches in breadth. About five or six shades each of ruby and Canterbury blue are the dominating colours. Plain white glass has also been wisely used in the upper part of the window. It was designed and erected by Messrs. Hardman.There is a small window by Clayton and Bell in the north aisle of the choir to the memory of John Hunt, organist of the cathedral. The subjects, in eight medallions, are:—1, 2. King David; 3, 4. Jubal; 5, 6. Zachariah the Jewish Priest; 7. St. Cecilia; 8. Aldhelm. In Bishop Stanbury's Chapel is a memorial window to Archdeacon Musgrave, of which the subjects are:—1. St. Paul present at the Martyrdom of S. Stephen; 2. Conversion of St. Paul; 3. The Apostle consecrating Presbyters; 4. Elymas smitten with Blindness. In the lower part of the window, 5. Sacrifices to Paul and Barnabas at Lystra; 6. St. Paul before the Elders at Jerusalem; 7. His Trial before Agrippa; 8. His Martyrdom.Illustration: MONUMENTAL CROCKET.MONUMENTAL CROCKET.Illustration: EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.The five eastern windows in the Lady Chapel were designed by Mr. Cottingham, junior, and executed by Gibbs, to the memory of Dean Merewether.A series of twenty-one subjects, in medallions, connected[pg 089]with the life of our Lord. These windows were erected in 1852.In the south-east transept is a memorial window to Bishop Huntingford, 1816 to 1832. It was designed and manufactured by Warrington at the sole cost of Lord Saye and Sele.The upper part of the tracery is filled with the arms of George III., those of the See of Gloucester, the See of Hereford, Winchester College, and of the bishop's family.The subjects, relating to St. Peter, are:—1. His Call; 2. Walking on the Sea; 3. Receiving the Keys; 4. Denial of our Lord; 5. S. Peter and S. John at the Gate of the Temple; 6. Baptism of Cornelius; 7. Raising of Dorcas; 8. Deliverance from Prison by an Angel.In the north and south side of the clerestory of the choir are simple stained glass windows, consisting of various patterns. They were manufactured by Messrs. Castell of Whitechapel.The eastern central window of the choir was an anonymous gift in 1851, executed by Hardman.Its beauties are entirely lost at its present height from the ground. The circular medallions are 3 feet in diameter, the subjects being:—1. The Ascension; 2. The Resurrection; 3. The Crucifixion.The upper semi-circles represent Christ healing lepers and demoniacs; the lower, His being taken down from the Cross, and Mary with the box of precious ointment.
Illustration: ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.The upper compartment represents the entombment of the bishop. The middle of the design is occupied by an altar tomb, into which the body, swathed in a diapered winding-sheet, is being lowered.The ends of the bier are supported by two kneeling figures.[pg 086]On the side of the tomb furthest from the spectator is a bishop or abbot without the mitre looking toward a figure on his right, who carries a tablet or open book with some words upon it.At either extremity of this panel stands a figure censing the corpse with a circular thurible.The border of each compartment is formed by a double invected pattern of gold and enamel. The ridge-piece is of copper perforated with eight keyhole ornaments.The back of the shrine is also divided into two compartments, and is decorated with quatrefoils.It is pierced in the middle of the upper border by a keyhole communicating with a lock on the inside.The right-hand gable is occupied by the figure of a female saint. The left gable is occupied by the figure of a male saint.A border of small gilt quatrefoils on a chocolate ground runs round the margins of the two ends and four back plates.Those parts of the copper plates which are not enamelled are gilded, while the colours used in the enamelling are blue, are light-blue, green, yellow, red, chocolate, and white.In the interior, on that side to which the lower front plate corresponds, is a crosspattée fitchéepainted in red upon oak, which oak bears traces of having been stained with blood or some other liquid. The wood at the bottom is evidently modern. This reliquary is said to have been originally placed upon the high altar. It appears to have been preserved by some ancient Roman Catholic family until it came into the possession of the late Canon Russell, and bequeathed by him to the authorities of the cathedral.The art of enamelling metals appears to have been introduced from Byzantium through Venice into Western Europe at the close of the tenth century. After this time Greek artists are known to have visited this country, and to have carried on a lucrative trade in the manufacture of sacred vessels, shrines, etc.Ancient Gold Rings.One of pure gold, supposed to have been worn by a knight templar, was ploughed up near Hereford. The device on the raised besel is a cross pattée in a square compartment, on each side of which are a crescent and a triple-thonged scourge.[pg 087]Within the hoop is engraved in black-letter character "Sancte Michael." Date about 1380.A massive ring set with a rough ruby of pale colour was found in the tomb of Bishop Mayew. On each side a bold tan cross with a bell is engraved. These were originally filled with green enamel. Inside is engraved and enamelled "Ave Maria."A superb ring was also found in Bishop Stanbury's tomb, on the north side of the altar. It contains a fine and perfect sapphire, and flowers and foliage are beautifully worked in black enamel on each side of the stone.A fine gold ring was discovered in Bishop Trilleck's grave in 1813, but was stolen in 1838 from the cathedral. It was never recovered, though£30 was offered as a reward.The Stained Glasshas survived only in a few fragments, scattered about the eastern end of the cathedral.Some of the best, apparently of early fourteenth century date, is in one of the lancets on the south side of the Lady Chapel, west of the Audley Chapel. The subjects are:1. Christ surrounded by symbols of the four evangelists; 2. Lamb and flag; 3. Angel and Maries at the sepulchre; 4. Crucifixion; 5. Christ bearing His cross.In the north-east transept is an ancient glass window, restored and entirely releaded by Warrington, at the cost of the Dean and Chapter, Oct. 1864. It is a fairly good specimen of fourteenth century work. For many years it was hidden away in old boxes, and was formerly fixed in some of the windows on the south side of the nave.The figures represent—1. St. Katherine; 2. St. Michael; 3. St. Gregory; 4. St. Thomas of Canterbury.In the south-east transept, again, is a window of ancient glass, erected under the same circumstances. The figures in this case represent—1. St. Mary Magdalene; 2. St. Ethelbert; 3. St. Augustine; 4. St. George.In the north aisle of the nave is a two-light window by Warrington. It was erected in 1862 by Archdeacon Lane Freer to the memory of Canon and Mrs. Clutton. The subjects are from the life of St. John the Baptist.In the north transept is a very fine memorial window to Archdeacon Lane Freer, erected at a cost of £1316. The window is one of the largest of the Geometric period (temp.[pg 088]Edward I.) in England, the glass being 48 feet 6 inches in height by 21 feet 6 inches in breadth. About five or six shades each of ruby and Canterbury blue are the dominating colours. Plain white glass has also been wisely used in the upper part of the window. It was designed and erected by Messrs. Hardman.There is a small window by Clayton and Bell in the north aisle of the choir to the memory of John Hunt, organist of the cathedral. The subjects, in eight medallions, are:—1, 2. King David; 3, 4. Jubal; 5, 6. Zachariah the Jewish Priest; 7. St. Cecilia; 8. Aldhelm. In Bishop Stanbury's Chapel is a memorial window to Archdeacon Musgrave, of which the subjects are:—1. St. Paul present at the Martyrdom of S. Stephen; 2. Conversion of St. Paul; 3. The Apostle consecrating Presbyters; 4. Elymas smitten with Blindness. In the lower part of the window, 5. Sacrifices to Paul and Barnabas at Lystra; 6. St. Paul before the Elders at Jerusalem; 7. His Trial before Agrippa; 8. His Martyrdom.Illustration: MONUMENTAL CROCKET.MONUMENTAL CROCKET.Illustration: EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.The five eastern windows in the Lady Chapel were designed by Mr. Cottingham, junior, and executed by Gibbs, to the memory of Dean Merewether.A series of twenty-one subjects, in medallions, connected[pg 089]with the life of our Lord. These windows were erected in 1852.In the south-east transept is a memorial window to Bishop Huntingford, 1816 to 1832. It was designed and manufactured by Warrington at the sole cost of Lord Saye and Sele.The upper part of the tracery is filled with the arms of George III., those of the See of Gloucester, the See of Hereford, Winchester College, and of the bishop's family.The subjects, relating to St. Peter, are:—1. His Call; 2. Walking on the Sea; 3. Receiving the Keys; 4. Denial of our Lord; 5. S. Peter and S. John at the Gate of the Temple; 6. Baptism of Cornelius; 7. Raising of Dorcas; 8. Deliverance from Prison by an Angel.In the north and south side of the clerestory of the choir are simple stained glass windows, consisting of various patterns. They were manufactured by Messrs. Castell of Whitechapel.The eastern central window of the choir was an anonymous gift in 1851, executed by Hardman.Its beauties are entirely lost at its present height from the ground. The circular medallions are 3 feet in diameter, the subjects being:—1. The Ascension; 2. The Resurrection; 3. The Crucifixion.The upper semi-circles represent Christ healing lepers and demoniacs; the lower, His being taken down from the Cross, and Mary with the box of precious ointment.
Illustration: ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.
ANCIENT RELIQUARY IN THE CATHEDRAL.
The upper compartment represents the entombment of the bishop. The middle of the design is occupied by an altar tomb, into which the body, swathed in a diapered winding-sheet, is being lowered.
The ends of the bier are supported by two kneeling figures.
On the side of the tomb furthest from the spectator is a bishop or abbot without the mitre looking toward a figure on his right, who carries a tablet or open book with some words upon it.
At either extremity of this panel stands a figure censing the corpse with a circular thurible.
The border of each compartment is formed by a double invected pattern of gold and enamel. The ridge-piece is of copper perforated with eight keyhole ornaments.
The back of the shrine is also divided into two compartments, and is decorated with quatrefoils.
It is pierced in the middle of the upper border by a keyhole communicating with a lock on the inside.
The right-hand gable is occupied by the figure of a female saint. The left gable is occupied by the figure of a male saint.
A border of small gilt quatrefoils on a chocolate ground runs round the margins of the two ends and four back plates.
Those parts of the copper plates which are not enamelled are gilded, while the colours used in the enamelling are blue, are light-blue, green, yellow, red, chocolate, and white.
In the interior, on that side to which the lower front plate corresponds, is a crosspattée fitchéepainted in red upon oak, which oak bears traces of having been stained with blood or some other liquid. The wood at the bottom is evidently modern. This reliquary is said to have been originally placed upon the high altar. It appears to have been preserved by some ancient Roman Catholic family until it came into the possession of the late Canon Russell, and bequeathed by him to the authorities of the cathedral.
The art of enamelling metals appears to have been introduced from Byzantium through Venice into Western Europe at the close of the tenth century. After this time Greek artists are known to have visited this country, and to have carried on a lucrative trade in the manufacture of sacred vessels, shrines, etc.
Ancient Gold Rings.One of pure gold, supposed to have been worn by a knight templar, was ploughed up near Hereford. The device on the raised besel is a cross pattée in a square compartment, on each side of which are a crescent and a triple-thonged scourge.
Within the hoop is engraved in black-letter character "Sancte Michael." Date about 1380.
A massive ring set with a rough ruby of pale colour was found in the tomb of Bishop Mayew. On each side a bold tan cross with a bell is engraved. These were originally filled with green enamel. Inside is engraved and enamelled "Ave Maria."
A superb ring was also found in Bishop Stanbury's tomb, on the north side of the altar. It contains a fine and perfect sapphire, and flowers and foliage are beautifully worked in black enamel on each side of the stone.
A fine gold ring was discovered in Bishop Trilleck's grave in 1813, but was stolen in 1838 from the cathedral. It was never recovered, though£30 was offered as a reward.
The Stained Glasshas survived only in a few fragments, scattered about the eastern end of the cathedral.
Some of the best, apparently of early fourteenth century date, is in one of the lancets on the south side of the Lady Chapel, west of the Audley Chapel. The subjects are:
1. Christ surrounded by symbols of the four evangelists; 2. Lamb and flag; 3. Angel and Maries at the sepulchre; 4. Crucifixion; 5. Christ bearing His cross.
In the north-east transept is an ancient glass window, restored and entirely releaded by Warrington, at the cost of the Dean and Chapter, Oct. 1864. It is a fairly good specimen of fourteenth century work. For many years it was hidden away in old boxes, and was formerly fixed in some of the windows on the south side of the nave.
The figures represent—1. St. Katherine; 2. St. Michael; 3. St. Gregory; 4. St. Thomas of Canterbury.
In the south-east transept, again, is a window of ancient glass, erected under the same circumstances. The figures in this case represent—1. St. Mary Magdalene; 2. St. Ethelbert; 3. St. Augustine; 4. St. George.
In the north aisle of the nave is a two-light window by Warrington. It was erected in 1862 by Archdeacon Lane Freer to the memory of Canon and Mrs. Clutton. The subjects are from the life of St. John the Baptist.
In the north transept is a very fine memorial window to Archdeacon Lane Freer, erected at a cost of £1316. The window is one of the largest of the Geometric period (temp.[pg 088]Edward I.) in England, the glass being 48 feet 6 inches in height by 21 feet 6 inches in breadth. About five or six shades each of ruby and Canterbury blue are the dominating colours. Plain white glass has also been wisely used in the upper part of the window. It was designed and erected by Messrs. Hardman.
There is a small window by Clayton and Bell in the north aisle of the choir to the memory of John Hunt, organist of the cathedral. The subjects, in eight medallions, are:—1, 2. King David; 3, 4. Jubal; 5, 6. Zachariah the Jewish Priest; 7. St. Cecilia; 8. Aldhelm. In Bishop Stanbury's Chapel is a memorial window to Archdeacon Musgrave, of which the subjects are:—1. St. Paul present at the Martyrdom of S. Stephen; 2. Conversion of St. Paul; 3. The Apostle consecrating Presbyters; 4. Elymas smitten with Blindness. In the lower part of the window, 5. Sacrifices to Paul and Barnabas at Lystra; 6. St. Paul before the Elders at Jerusalem; 7. His Trial before Agrippa; 8. His Martyrdom.
Illustration: MONUMENTAL CROCKET.MONUMENTAL CROCKET.
MONUMENTAL CROCKET.
Illustration: EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.
EARLY ENGLISH BASEMENT MOULDING.
The five eastern windows in the Lady Chapel were designed by Mr. Cottingham, junior, and executed by Gibbs, to the memory of Dean Merewether.
A series of twenty-one subjects, in medallions, connected[pg 089]with the life of our Lord. These windows were erected in 1852.
In the south-east transept is a memorial window to Bishop Huntingford, 1816 to 1832. It was designed and manufactured by Warrington at the sole cost of Lord Saye and Sele.
The upper part of the tracery is filled with the arms of George III., those of the See of Gloucester, the See of Hereford, Winchester College, and of the bishop's family.
The subjects, relating to St. Peter, are:—
1. His Call; 2. Walking on the Sea; 3. Receiving the Keys; 4. Denial of our Lord; 5. S. Peter and S. John at the Gate of the Temple; 6. Baptism of Cornelius; 7. Raising of Dorcas; 8. Deliverance from Prison by an Angel.
In the north and south side of the clerestory of the choir are simple stained glass windows, consisting of various patterns. They were manufactured by Messrs. Castell of Whitechapel.
The eastern central window of the choir was an anonymous gift in 1851, executed by Hardman.
Its beauties are entirely lost at its present height from the ground. The circular medallions are 3 feet in diameter, the subjects being:—
1. The Ascension; 2. The Resurrection; 3. The Crucifixion.
The upper semi-circles represent Christ healing lepers and demoniacs; the lower, His being taken down from the Cross, and Mary with the box of precious ointment.