NONGATL

Map 7. Presumed Nongatl villages in the Bridgeville region.

Map 7. Presumed Nongatl villages in the Bridgeville region.

Map 7. Presumed Nongatl villages in the Bridgeville region.

Map 8. Lassik villages in the Alder Point region.

Map 8. Lassik villages in the Alder Point region.

Map 8. Lassik villages in the Alder Point region.

The Nongatl are almost entirely confined to the drainages of the Van Duzen River and upper Mad River. Their culture is the least known of any group in northwestern California. Merriam evidently did not work in their area although he recorded a few of their words given him by George Burt's wife. George Burt was a Sinkyone, but his wife was born and raised near Bridgeville. Goddard recorded some villages for this group, whose names are given below. Nomland worked with someone from the Nongatl in 1928 (Nomland, 1938, p. 9), but her results have not been published.

The territory of the Nongatl lies, for the most part, east of the main redwood belt. It is therefore no doubt well supplied with oaks, and plant foods are thus readily available. Salmon are abundant in the Van Duzen River (pl. 10,c) and Yager Creek but not in the Mad River in eastern Nongatl territory. In much of their territory then, the subsistence patterns of the Nongatl must have differed from those of most of northwestern California, where fishing was of primary importance.

According to Merriam (1923) the word Nung-kahhlis "a general or blanket name used by themselves for all the southern Athapaskan tribes, from Iaqua and Yager Creek on the north to the northern border of Round Valley on the south, thus including the Athapaskan Wilakke." In anthropological literature, however, especially in the work of Kroeber and Goddard, this name has come to be used for the group living between Iaqua Buttes and Mad River on the north and Dobbyn Creek on the south. Merriam's name for this group is Kit-tel´. He does not seem to have obtained any information from them although one of his notes mentions the fact that the wife of George Burt, his Lolangkok Sinkyone informant, was a Kit-tel´ woman.

At times Merriam seems to have confused the Nongatl with the Lassik. In his general statement on the Nongatl, which follows, he lists them as Lassik although the area in which he places them marks them as Kit-tel´ or Nongatl.

Las´sik ... Name (from Chief Lassik, now dead) in common use for a Non-ga´hhltribe occupying a rather large area, extending from Iaqua Butte in the latitude of the mouth of Eel River, southerly to Dobbyn Creek and to the head of Van Duzen River, and from the eastern boundary of the Lolahnkok of Bull Creek and South Fork Eel River easterly to Mad River and the crest of the long ridge known as South Fork Mountain, and southerly to within about two miles of Ruth on Mad River; to the headwaters of Van Duzen River (but not reaching Kettenshaw Valley), and to Dobbyn Creek on the main Eel; thus including the entire course and drainage area of Larrabee Creek.There is doubt as to the northern boundary of the so-called Las´sik for the reason that I have not been able to obtain the necessary vocabularies for comparison. Goddard's information points to a division south of the Bridgeville region but I have been told by both the Nek´-kan-ni´ of Bear River and the Lolahnkōk of Bull Creek and South Fork Eel that the language is exactly the same from Iaqua Butte southerly and that the languages of the Nek´-kan-ni´ and Lo-lahn-kōk do not differ essentially from that of the Larrabee Creek region.The Indians over whom Chief Lassik held sway had no common tribal name but consisted of a number of bands or subtribes, now mostly or quite extinct, said to have spoken the same or closely allied dialects.However, since the entire drainage basin of Larrabee Creek is included in their territory, it may be desirable to adopt the term Kos´-ten ke´-ah, by which term the Larrabee Creek band was known to neighbors on the south—the Set-ten-bi´-den ke-ah.

Las´sik ... Name (from Chief Lassik, now dead) in common use for a Non-ga´hhltribe occupying a rather large area, extending from Iaqua Butte in the latitude of the mouth of Eel River, southerly to Dobbyn Creek and to the head of Van Duzen River, and from the eastern boundary of the Lolahnkok of Bull Creek and South Fork Eel River easterly to Mad River and the crest of the long ridge known as South Fork Mountain, and southerly to within about two miles of Ruth on Mad River; to the headwaters of Van Duzen River (but not reaching Kettenshaw Valley), and to Dobbyn Creek on the main Eel; thus including the entire course and drainage area of Larrabee Creek.

There is doubt as to the northern boundary of the so-called Las´sik for the reason that I have not been able to obtain the necessary vocabularies for comparison. Goddard's information points to a division south of the Bridgeville region but I have been told by both the Nek´-kan-ni´ of Bear River and the Lolahnkōk of Bull Creek and South Fork Eel that the language is exactly the same from Iaqua Butte southerly and that the languages of the Nek´-kan-ni´ and Lo-lahn-kōk do not differ essentially from that of the Larrabee Creek region.

The Indians over whom Chief Lassik held sway had no common tribal name but consisted of a number of bands or subtribes, now mostly or quite extinct, said to have spoken the same or closely allied dialects.

However, since the entire drainage basin of Larrabee Creek is included in their territory, it may be desirable to adopt the term Kos´-ten ke´-ah, by which term the Larrabee Creek band was known to neighbors on the south—the Set-ten-bi´-den ke-ah.

There is evidence of several subgroups among the Nongatl, but it is not known whether these were tribelets or dialect divisions. Essene (1942, pp. 90-92) got information from the Lassik woman Lucy Young indicating that there was a distinct group around Blocksburg, which the Lassik called Kuskatundun, and another group around Bridgeville they called Nai'aitci. This latter group is said to have been a roving band which preyed on all the neighboring peoples.

Goddard's village data indicate six other groups but do not give boundaries. These were as follows.

bûskōtkīya. In the neighborhood of Indian Cr. in the upper part of the drainage of Yager Cr. (map 9).tcillûndûñ. On the upper reaches of North Yager Cr. (map 9).bûstcōbīkīya. In the vicinity of the junction of North and Middle Yager creeks. The language of this group was said to be the same as that of the tcittelkīya (map 9).senûñka. On upper Larabee Cr. in the vicinity of Blocksburg (pl. 10,e,f). This no doubt is the same as Essene's Kuskatundun, which was the Lassik name for the group (map 10).tcittelkīya. On the Van Duzen R. above Bridgeville. Appears to be the same name as Merriam's Kit-tel´.na'aitcikīya. On the Van Duzen above the tcittelkīya group. This name appears on the Goddard map from which map 1 was taken but is not otherwise recorded. This is evidently the same as Essene's Nai'aitci.kōsdûñkīya. On the South Fork of the Van Duzen, including Larabee V.

bûskōtkīya. In the neighborhood of Indian Cr. in the upper part of the drainage of Yager Cr. (map 9).

tcillûndûñ. On the upper reaches of North Yager Cr. (map 9).

bûstcōbīkīya. In the vicinity of the junction of North and Middle Yager creeks. The language of this group was said to be the same as that of the tcittelkīya (map 9).

senûñka. On upper Larabee Cr. in the vicinity of Blocksburg (pl. 10,e,f). This no doubt is the same as Essene's Kuskatundun, which was the Lassik name for the group (map 10).

tcittelkīya. On the Van Duzen R. above Bridgeville. Appears to be the same name as Merriam's Kit-tel´.

na'aitcikīya. On the Van Duzen above the tcittelkīya group. This name appears on the Goddard map from which map 1 was taken but is not otherwise recorded. This is evidently the same as Essene's Nai'aitci.

kōsdûñkīya. On the South Fork of the Van Duzen, including Larabee V.

The Nongatl villages recorded below are all taken from Goddard's unpublished notes (maps 7, 9, 10). This is evidently far from a complete count but it is clear that there were about as many villages in the area covered by these maps as in other parts of the Athabascan area.

1. In the swag of a large ridge running toward the SSE to the junction of the main components of Indian Cr., perhaps a mile from it. There is one deep pit. There is a flowing creek 200 yds. E.2. A single pit found by Pete E of a small stream flowing south into Indian Cr. from the lowest place in the ridge at Big Bend of the Mad R. Nearly 1/2 mi. from Indian Cr. W of a hill above which the wagon road passes. This is where Goddard camped in 1906. He hunted all around here without finding other pits.Map 9. Nongatl villages on Yager Creek.Map 10. Nongatl villages in the Blocksburg region.3. k'onûsebī'. On a point running down SSW toward Indian Cr. There were two pits near the creek and two more 200 ft. up the hill. A few large and small oaks were growing there. Water was to be had a few yards E. Pete saw a house there when he was a boy.4. W of a small stream flowing into Indian Cr. from the N, and E of a large flat. There was a flat place with dirt thrown out in front of it but with no pit. About 1/8 mi. E on the round end of a ridge was a fairly evident pit and a sekal.5. About 200 yds. E of the small stream mentioned in no. 4 were a few small pits.6. One pit was on the W bank of a S-flowing branch of Indian Cr. Small ridges N and S of it form a small basin, giving it protection from the winds. Madrone and black oaks are growing there. It is possible that a depression on the southern ridge is also a house pit.7. On a small ridge on the E side of the branch of Indian Cr., which flows from the S past Fork Baker ranch buildings. About 1-1/2 mi. north of these buildings Pete found 3 pits. He said there were small streams N and S of the ridge. Goddard did not visit the place but it was pointed out by Pete as W of a big Douglas spruce tree and a large rock. Goddard described it as above.

1. In the swag of a large ridge running toward the SSE to the junction of the main components of Indian Cr., perhaps a mile from it. There is one deep pit. There is a flowing creek 200 yds. E.

2. A single pit found by Pete E of a small stream flowing south into Indian Cr. from the lowest place in the ridge at Big Bend of the Mad R. Nearly 1/2 mi. from Indian Cr. W of a hill above which the wagon road passes. This is where Goddard camped in 1906. He hunted all around here without finding other pits.

Map 9. Nongatl villages on Yager Creek.

Map 9. Nongatl villages on Yager Creek.

Map 9. Nongatl villages on Yager Creek.

Map 10. Nongatl villages in the Blocksburg region.

Map 10. Nongatl villages in the Blocksburg region.

Map 10. Nongatl villages in the Blocksburg region.

3. k'onûsebī'. On a point running down SSW toward Indian Cr. There were two pits near the creek and two more 200 ft. up the hill. A few large and small oaks were growing there. Water was to be had a few yards E. Pete saw a house there when he was a boy.

4. W of a small stream flowing into Indian Cr. from the N, and E of a large flat. There was a flat place with dirt thrown out in front of it but with no pit. About 1/8 mi. E on the round end of a ridge was a fairly evident pit and a sekal.

5. About 200 yds. E of the small stream mentioned in no. 4 were a few small pits.

6. One pit was on the W bank of a S-flowing branch of Indian Cr. Small ridges N and S of it form a small basin, giving it protection from the winds. Madrone and black oaks are growing there. It is possible that a depression on the southern ridge is also a house pit.

7. On a small ridge on the E side of the branch of Indian Cr., which flows from the S past Fork Baker ranch buildings. About 1-1/2 mi. north of these buildings Pete found 3 pits. He said there were small streams N and S of the ridge. Goddard did not visit the place but it was pointed out by Pete as W of a big Douglas spruce tree and a large rock. Goddard described it as above.

8. On the slope N of North Yager Cr. close to the county road and about 100 yds. from the bridge. There are 2 pits close to the wagon road and 1 or 2 a little farther N. The site is 65 ft. higher than the bridge.9. kactcōtcībī', "redwoods..?.. in." On the N side of North Yager Cr. at the W end of a flat of about an acre. There are a few redwoods on the opposite side of the creek. Six pits were found about 100 yds. back from the creek. Pete had heard of the flat but not that Indians lived there. A hunter told Goddard of the Indians being killed there by whites.10. About 1/4 mi. up a branch which flows into North Yager Cr. from the north. On the W side of the creek on a rounded ridge were 3 pits, 2 of which were very distinct.11. On a small flat on the N side of Yager Cr. and close to it Pete saw 2 large deep pits. They were about 1/4 mi. downstream from the branch where village 10 was found.12. tse'dûttclbûtta'dûñ. A half-mile N of North Yager Cr. at the edge of Douglas spruce and tanbark oak timber. Stones used by the Indians were lying near the water and 2 pits were found there. To the W, on the crest of the ridge, there were 5 pits at the S end of the timber. A cabin stands there.

8. On the slope N of North Yager Cr. close to the county road and about 100 yds. from the bridge. There are 2 pits close to the wagon road and 1 or 2 a little farther N. The site is 65 ft. higher than the bridge.

9. kactcōtcībī', "redwoods..?.. in." On the N side of North Yager Cr. at the W end of a flat of about an acre. There are a few redwoods on the opposite side of the creek. Six pits were found about 100 yds. back from the creek. Pete had heard of the flat but not that Indians lived there. A hunter told Goddard of the Indians being killed there by whites.

10. About 1/4 mi. up a branch which flows into North Yager Cr. from the north. On the W side of the creek on a rounded ridge were 3 pits, 2 of which were very distinct.

11. On a small flat on the N side of Yager Cr. and close to it Pete saw 2 large deep pits. They were about 1/4 mi. downstream from the branch where village 10 was found.

12. tse'dûttclbûtta'dûñ. A half-mile N of North Yager Cr. at the edge of Douglas spruce and tanbark oak timber. Stones used by the Indians were lying near the water and 2 pits were found there. To the W, on the crest of the ridge, there were 5 pits at the S end of the timber. A cabin stands there.

Goddard lists five more sites found in this vicinity on North Yager Creek but they are not named and their locations are indefinite so they will not be given here.

13. senindûscīmī. On the W bank of North Yager Cr. 1/4 mi. below a waterfall of the same name. Two pits were located 100 ft. above the creek in brush and timber. On the same side of the creek but 1/4 mi. downstream were 4 more pits, in one of which a sekal lay.14. nakatōdûñ. On the E side of North Yager Cr., on a flat now covered with huckleberry brush. Pete found 2 pits here. On the W side of the creek, a little downstream, were 2 more pits. The flat had been badly washed away by freshets.15. Two pits were found among the redwoods and thick brush at the junction of North and Middle Yager creeks.16. ist'egabī', "madrones in." Just at the eastern edge of the timber on a point running down toward Middle Yager Cr. were 4 pits.17. kōntcōwetcīkinnedûñ. About 1/4 mi. N of Middle Yager Cr. On a small flat on a hillside, facing SW in open timber above a small stream. There were 7 pits here. Pete had heard that there used to be a village so situated.18. An overhanging rock on the N side of Middle Yager Cr. shows signs of occupation and there is a pit near by.

13. senindûscīmī. On the W bank of North Yager Cr. 1/4 mi. below a waterfall of the same name. Two pits were located 100 ft. above the creek in brush and timber. On the same side of the creek but 1/4 mi. downstream were 4 more pits, in one of which a sekal lay.

14. nakatōdûñ. On the E side of North Yager Cr., on a flat now covered with huckleberry brush. Pete found 2 pits here. On the W side of the creek, a little downstream, were 2 more pits. The flat had been badly washed away by freshets.

15. Two pits were found among the redwoods and thick brush at the junction of North and Middle Yager creeks.

16. ist'egabī', "madrones in." Just at the eastern edge of the timber on a point running down toward Middle Yager Cr. were 4 pits.

17. kōntcōwetcīkinnedûñ. About 1/4 mi. N of Middle Yager Cr. On a small flat on a hillside, facing SW in open timber above a small stream. There were 7 pits here. Pete had heard that there used to be a village so situated.

18. An overhanging rock on the N side of Middle Yager Cr. shows signs of occupation and there is a pit near by.

19. On a little point 200 yds. N of Curless' house. There is one pit. Charlie Taylor's grandmother was born here, according to Curless, who showed the site to Goddard. This was the most northern village of the senûñka on Larabee Cr.20. t'ōkintcabī'. On the hillside on either side of the stream which crosses the road about a mile S of Curless' place. It is nearly a mile from Larabee Cr. and is close to the timber. The village was in a line of Douglas spruce south of an oat-field. There were 7 large pits on the W side of the stream and 5 on the E side. With one exception these were N of the fence; others may have been filled by plowing.21. t'ōkintcabī'. On the E side of Larabee Cr. a good-sized stream flows across the county road by a group of farm buildings. On the E side of the road close to the N side of this stream are from 4 to 6 pits. Douglas spruce and tanbark timber with brush obscured them. On the W side of the road is a large sheep barn. W of this barn are 4 pits, some quite uncertain because the ground has been cleared of large Douglas spruce timber. There is a large plowed flat 1/4 mi. W, near Larabee Cr. Andrew's wife told Pete of such a place where there used to be many Indians.22. k'ûcna'aidûñ (?). In a swag on the W side of a gulch lined with Douglas spruce and tanbark oak timber with exposure toward the S. There are 5 distinct pits.23. On a point 200 yds. N of the junction of the two main components of Larabee Cr., W of a small stream. There were 4 pits, only one of which was large. The end of a pestle was lying in this one.24. On the E side of Larabee Cr., between it and the county road, on the S side of a small stream. There was one pit. The building of the road may have destroyed others.25. On a large flat N of the junction of the two components of Larabee Cr. and a little to the E. There were 10 pits. There is a cabin and a corral here and many pits may have been filled in.26. On the hillside N of the eastern component of Larabee Cr. Pete thought there were 3 pits. There had been slides there and Goddard was not sure of them.27. On the N side of a large branch of Larabee Cr. from the E, 200 yds. N of where it is joined by a stream from the N. The stream from the E is bûstadûñkōt. There were 3 pits among the Douglas spruce and black oaks.28. On the E side of the Eel R. about 3/4 mi. N of the mouth of Coleman Cr. at the edge of timber on a small bench. There were 2 small house pits.29. On the E side Of the Eel about 300 yds. N of the mouth of Coleman Cr., 75 yds. back from the river and 40 ft. above it. There were 2 large deep pits. The exposure is SW.30. canakī', "creek tail." On the E side of the Eel R. S of the mouth of Coleman Cr. There were 3 pits close to the creek but high above it on the bank, 2 on a flat 25 yds. S, and 2 more near a dry gulch 200 yds. S of the creek. Near the creek the brakes were so thick that many pits may have been overlooked. This place was mentioned by Charlie in 1908.31. On the E side of the Eel R. about 500 yds. S of the mouth of Coleman Cr. on a flat close to the S side of a gulch lined with maple and peppernut trees. There were 8 pits here and 7 or 8 more from 50 to 75 yds. S.32. N of the knoll which is just below the forks of Coleman Cr. There was 1 pit.33. On the E side of the Eel R. about 300 yds. N of the mouth of Mill Cr. on a brushy point. There were 5 pits.34. On the E side of the Eel R. N of the mouth of Mill Cr. just S of a big rock. There were 2 pits.35. nadaitcûñ. This name was supplied by Charlie in 1908 as belonging to the village at the mouth of a large creek on the E side of the Eel R. above Coleman Cr.

19. On a little point 200 yds. N of Curless' house. There is one pit. Charlie Taylor's grandmother was born here, according to Curless, who showed the site to Goddard. This was the most northern village of the senûñka on Larabee Cr.

20. t'ōkintcabī'. On the hillside on either side of the stream which crosses the road about a mile S of Curless' place. It is nearly a mile from Larabee Cr. and is close to the timber. The village was in a line of Douglas spruce south of an oat-field. There were 7 large pits on the W side of the stream and 5 on the E side. With one exception these were N of the fence; others may have been filled by plowing.

21. t'ōkintcabī'. On the E side of Larabee Cr. a good-sized stream flows across the county road by a group of farm buildings. On the E side of the road close to the N side of this stream are from 4 to 6 pits. Douglas spruce and tanbark timber with brush obscured them. On the W side of the road is a large sheep barn. W of this barn are 4 pits, some quite uncertain because the ground has been cleared of large Douglas spruce timber. There is a large plowed flat 1/4 mi. W, near Larabee Cr. Andrew's wife told Pete of such a place where there used to be many Indians.

22. k'ûcna'aidûñ (?). In a swag on the W side of a gulch lined with Douglas spruce and tanbark oak timber with exposure toward the S. There are 5 distinct pits.

23. On a point 200 yds. N of the junction of the two main components of Larabee Cr., W of a small stream. There were 4 pits, only one of which was large. The end of a pestle was lying in this one.

24. On the E side of Larabee Cr., between it and the county road, on the S side of a small stream. There was one pit. The building of the road may have destroyed others.

25. On a large flat N of the junction of the two components of Larabee Cr. and a little to the E. There were 10 pits. There is a cabin and a corral here and many pits may have been filled in.

26. On the hillside N of the eastern component of Larabee Cr. Pete thought there were 3 pits. There had been slides there and Goddard was not sure of them.

27. On the N side of a large branch of Larabee Cr. from the E, 200 yds. N of where it is joined by a stream from the N. The stream from the E is bûstadûñkōt. There were 3 pits among the Douglas spruce and black oaks.

28. On the E side of the Eel R. about 3/4 mi. N of the mouth of Coleman Cr. at the edge of timber on a small bench. There were 2 small house pits.

29. On the E side Of the Eel about 300 yds. N of the mouth of Coleman Cr., 75 yds. back from the river and 40 ft. above it. There were 2 large deep pits. The exposure is SW.

30. canakī', "creek tail." On the E side of the Eel R. S of the mouth of Coleman Cr. There were 3 pits close to the creek but high above it on the bank, 2 on a flat 25 yds. S, and 2 more near a dry gulch 200 yds. S of the creek. Near the creek the brakes were so thick that many pits may have been overlooked. This place was mentioned by Charlie in 1908.

31. On the E side of the Eel R. about 500 yds. S of the mouth of Coleman Cr. on a flat close to the S side of a gulch lined with maple and peppernut trees. There were 8 pits here and 7 or 8 more from 50 to 75 yds. S.

32. N of the knoll which is just below the forks of Coleman Cr. There was 1 pit.

33. On the E side of the Eel R. about 300 yds. N of the mouth of Mill Cr. on a brushy point. There were 5 pits.

34. On the E side of the Eel R. N of the mouth of Mill Cr. just S of a big rock. There were 2 pits.

35. nadaitcûñ. This name was supplied by Charlie in 1908 as belonging to the village at the mouth of a large creek on the E side of the Eel R. above Coleman Cr.

The Sinkyone occupied the territory on the west side of the South Fork of the Eel from Scotia south to Hollow Tree Creek. From the Mattole boundary at Spanish Flat south to the Coast Yuki line at Usal Creek they held the coast.

We have more ethnographic information about the Sinkyone than about most of the Athabascan groups. Merriam's material and Goddard's data combined provide a virtually complete village list for the northern, or Lolangkok, Sinkyone and a few villages for the southern, or Shelter Cove, Sinkyone. Kroeber's Handbook (1925a, pp. 145-150) gives a fair amount of general ethnography and this is well augmented by Nomland's paper (Nomland, 1935).

Sinkyone territory is in the redwood coastal zone and this location no doubt reduced somewhat the supply of vegetal food. The Sinkyone were, however, well supplied with fish products by the Eel River, which not only had an excellent salmon run but also provided quantities of lamprey eel.

On the basis of Merriam's linguistic evidence the Sinkyone have been divided into a northern group, called Lolangkok after the native name for Bull Creek, and a southern group, called Shelter Cove after a sheltered spot on the coast midway between the Mattole and Yuki boundaries. This division is rendered somewhat questionable by the unreliability of Sally Bell, Merriam's Shelter Cove Sinkyone informant. It is doubtful, however, whether Sally Bell's linguistic information could be falsified. In any case, the separation is partly verified by Goddard's data and I have therefore accepted it.

The Merriam notes contain a comparatively large amount of material on the Lolangkok Sinkyone. The following general statement on that group is taken verbatim from that source.

The Lo-lahn´-kōk. Information is from George Burt, a member of the tribe, who was raised on Bull Creek at the rancheria called Kahs-cho´-chin-net´-tah about seven miles upstream from Dyerville, at a place now known as Schoolhouse Flat, and who now lives near Fortuna (1922).The territory of the Lo-lahn´-kōk began on the north at Shively and covered a narrow strip on the east side of the main Eel River to Dyerville, and a much broader area on the west side, and continued southerly on the west side of South Fork Eel River nearly to Garberville. On the west it not only covered the South Fork drainage, but continued over Elk Ridge to the head waters of Upper Mattole River.The southern boundary ran a little north of Ettersburg, Briceland, and Garberville.Informant states that on the east side of South Fork Eel River their territory included only the immediate river valley.

The Lo-lahn´-kōk. Information is from George Burt, a member of the tribe, who was raised on Bull Creek at the rancheria called Kahs-cho´-chin-net´-tah about seven miles upstream from Dyerville, at a place now known as Schoolhouse Flat, and who now lives near Fortuna (1922).

The territory of the Lo-lahn´-kōk began on the north at Shively and covered a narrow strip on the east side of the main Eel River to Dyerville, and a much broader area on the west side, and continued southerly on the west side of South Fork Eel River nearly to Garberville. On the west it not only covered the South Fork drainage, but continued over Elk Ridge to the head waters of Upper Mattole River.

The southern boundary ran a little north of Ettersburg, Briceland, and Garberville.

Informant states that on the east side of South Fork Eel River their territory included only the immediate river valley.

Merriam's informant from the Southern Sinkyone was Sally Bell. She had evidently lived at Briceland for more than thirty years when she was interviewed in 1923. Nomland (1935, p. 149) says of her that she was "born Needle Rock; reared from childhood by white settlers, married Coast Yuki, Tom Bell; blind, senile, sees spirits in rafters, etc." (See fig. 1,d.) This group Merriam describes only in a brief general statement, summarized as follows.

Fig. 1. Athabascan tattooing noted by C. Hart Merriam.a,b. Whilkut women,c. Bear River woman from a sketch made by Merriam in 1921.d. From a sketch made by Merriam of the Shelter Cove woman named Sally Bell.

Fig. 1. Athabascan tattooing noted by C. Hart Merriam.a,b. Whilkut women,c. Bear River woman from a sketch made by Merriam in 1921.d. From a sketch made by Merriam of the Shelter Cove woman named Sally Bell.

Fig. 1. Athabascan tattooing noted by C. Hart Merriam.a,b. Whilkut women,c. Bear River woman from a sketch made by Merriam in 1921.d. From a sketch made by Merriam of the Shelter Cove woman named Sally Bell.

To´-cho´-be ke´ah is their own name and the Lolahnkok name for the tribe (and village) in the Briceland region (between the South Fork of the Eel and the coast). It is used also in a larger sense for all bands speaking the same dialect from the west side of the South Fork of the Eel River (in the Garberville region) to the coast. The Set´tenbi´den [Lassik] call this group Yis-sing´-kun-ne. The name of the group is pronounced To-cho´-be ke´ah by the Lolahn´kōk and Taw-chaw´-be-ke´ah by themselves.

To´-cho´-be ke´ah is their own name and the Lolahnkok name for the tribe (and village) in the Briceland region (between the South Fork of the Eel and the coast). It is used also in a larger sense for all bands speaking the same dialect from the west side of the South Fork of the Eel River (in the Garberville region) to the coast. The Set´tenbi´den [Lassik] call this group Yis-sing´-kun-ne. The name of the group is pronounced To-cho´-be ke´ah by the Lolahn´kōk and Taw-chaw´-be-ke´ah by themselves.

None of the tribelets of the Sinkyone is described or located specifically enough to permit the drawing of boundaries. Hence they are merely listed here, with available location data. Nomland (1935, p. 151) says: "Two informants always gave names of land areas in place of village names." These names are no doubt those of tribelets.

chi-chin-kah ke-ah (Merriam). This is the name for the tribelet between the upper waters of Bull Cr. and Elk Ridge. Nomland gives the name chacingu´k for the group in the ridge N of Briceland, which is evidently Elk Ridge.yese'kuk (Nomland). This is given as the Mattole R. area, possibly a tribelet designation.The two tribelets listed above are the only ones noted in the area of the Bull Creek or Lolangkok Sinkyone. Thefollowing, all from Merriam except where noted, are in the area of the Shelter Cove Sinkyone.to-cho-be ke-ah (taw-chaw-be keah). Name for the tribelet and village in the Briceland region between the South Fork of the Eel and the coast. Used in the larger sense for all the tribelets from Briceland south to Usal Cr. totro'bē (Nomland, 1935). This was the name of the Briceland area.nahs-lin-che-ke-ah. This was the name of the tribelet on South Fork S of Garberville. senke'kut (Nomland). This is given as the area "to the South Fork from Garberville."tahng-ah-ting keah. This was the Bull Creek Sinkyone name for the Shelter Cove and Point Delgada tribelet. They were called tahng-i-keah by themselves and by the Briceland Sinkyone. Kroeber (1925, p. 145) gives tangating as the place name for Shelter Cove.Usal (Yosawl). This is the southernmost tribelet of the Briceland Sinkyone, said to extend from Usal Cr. to Shelter Cove. According to Kroeber (1925, p. 145) "This word seems to be from Pomo Yoshol, denoting either the Coast Yuki or the Mankya, both of whom are north of the Pomo; but yo is 'south' and shol 'eastward' in that language."

chi-chin-kah ke-ah (Merriam). This is the name for the tribelet between the upper waters of Bull Cr. and Elk Ridge. Nomland gives the name chacingu´k for the group in the ridge N of Briceland, which is evidently Elk Ridge.

yese'kuk (Nomland). This is given as the Mattole R. area, possibly a tribelet designation.

The two tribelets listed above are the only ones noted in the area of the Bull Creek or Lolangkok Sinkyone. Thefollowing, all from Merriam except where noted, are in the area of the Shelter Cove Sinkyone.

to-cho-be ke-ah (taw-chaw-be keah). Name for the tribelet and village in the Briceland region between the South Fork of the Eel and the coast. Used in the larger sense for all the tribelets from Briceland south to Usal Cr. totro'bē (Nomland, 1935). This was the name of the Briceland area.

nahs-lin-che-ke-ah. This was the name of the tribelet on South Fork S of Garberville. senke'kut (Nomland). This is given as the area "to the South Fork from Garberville."

tahng-ah-ting keah. This was the Bull Creek Sinkyone name for the Shelter Cove and Point Delgada tribelet. They were called tahng-i-keah by themselves and by the Briceland Sinkyone. Kroeber (1925, p. 145) gives tangating as the place name for Shelter Cove.

Usal (Yosawl). This is the southernmost tribelet of the Briceland Sinkyone, said to extend from Usal Cr. to Shelter Cove. According to Kroeber (1925, p. 145) "This word seems to be from Pomo Yoshol, denoting either the Coast Yuki or the Mankya, both of whom are north of the Pomo; but yo is 'south' and shol 'eastward' in that language."

The following names are given by Nomland for Sinkyone areas. They do not correspond to Merriam's tribelets and are probably just place names.

anse'ntakukThe land south of Bricelandcusacic'haThe region north of GarbervilleyenekukThe area southeast of Bricelandyese'The coast area to the Mattole boundary at Four Mile Cr.

Most of the Sinkyone villages given here are taken from Goddard's notes. A few are also given by Merriam. In the list the source is indicated by (G) for Goddard, (M) for Merriam. Merriam's notes contain, besides the village names, a list of place names on the Eel and on South Fork, running from Scotia to south of Garberville (see pp. 191-193, map 13). In areas where Merriam's material can be compared with Goddard's these place names nearly all turn out to be village names. It seems likely therefore that, in other areas also, nearly all are village names. In calculating population (see p.216), I have occasionally used these to augment the village count.

Lolangkok Sinkyone villages on the main Eel (map 11).—Of the following villages, the two north of the mouth of South Fork are from Merriam's notes, for which George Burt was the informant. Merriam also gives several place names for the area below the mouth of South Fork, and it seems probable that most, if not all, of these were actually villages rather than mere landmarks; this was certainly so farther south on South Fork.

Map 11. Villages of the Lolangkok Sinkyone.

Map 11. Villages of the Lolangkok Sinkyone.

Map 11. Villages of the Lolangkok Sinkyone.

Above the mouth of South Fork the villages are from Goddard's notes; the informant was Charlie and the information was gathered in 1903 and 1908. It is possible that these villages are not Sinkyone. However, there is no specific evidence for attributing this region to the Nongatl and it is known that Charlie was a Lolangkok Sinkyone, so I have placed them in this latter group. Goddard has given the section, township, and range locations as he did for the preceding villages. These have been helpful in locating the sites, but I have omitted his notations because they are no longer accurate; the maps have been changed since the time of Goddard's original work.

1. lah-sā-se´-te (M). At Shively on the main Eel R.2. kah´-li-cho´-be, "growing flat" (M). At a place now called Englewood, a small settlement 9 mi. E of Scotia bridge. The name is said to refer to things growing up there.3. seûstcelindûñ (G). On the S bank of the main Eel not far downstream from Dyerville.4. tōnesdadûñ (G). On the NE bank of the Eel directly across from seûstcelindûñ.5. tetcinne (G). On the E side of the Eel upstream from tōnesdadûñ. A big rock, pointing downstream, is said to project into the river there.6. tûggûstcō dasañke (G). On the E side of the Eel S of tetcinne. A large rancheria in an open place.7. naltcûñka (G). On the W side of Eel R. S of tûggûstcō dasañke. There is a big slide there. It is below Camp Grant on the S side, according to Charlie, 1903.nahl-tsin´-kah (M). Camp Grant.8. tōƚtciñyasta' (G). On the E side of the Eel about 1 mi. above naltcûñka. A large rock stands back of the village site.9. tadûttcī' (G). On the E side of the Eel not far above tōƚtciñyasta', at the mouth of a large creek in which salmon run (tadakōk, Thompson Cr.?). Above Camp Grant.10. tcillûñdûñ (G). On the E side of the Eel 1/4 mi. above tadûttcī'. An open place without a creek. (Given as kīlûndûñkīa by Charlie in 1903.)11. ne'gakak, "moss"? (G). On the W side of the Eel opposite tcillûñdûñ.12. ne'tcinkōk (G). At the mouth of a creek on the W side of the Eel some way above ne'gakak.13. gactcōbi', "redwoods in" (G). In a large open flat among the redwoods on the E side of the Eel above ne'tcinkōk. Given by Charlie in 1903 as kûctcōbekīa on the S side.14. On the E side of the Eel just S of a creek which flows down a steep rough bed on a rather high bench are 4 pits. The ground is black with refuse and cooking stones lie about. The river enters a canyon N of this creek. A round timbered butte is close to the mouth of the creek on the N. A great timbered butte seems to occupy the E bank of the river for several miles.15. seda'dûn, "rock mouth place" (G). On the E side (W also?), where the river flows out between rocks. A small creek is there. About 2 mi. above gactcōbi'.

1. lah-sā-se´-te (M). At Shively on the main Eel R.

2. kah´-li-cho´-be, "growing flat" (M). At a place now called Englewood, a small settlement 9 mi. E of Scotia bridge. The name is said to refer to things growing up there.

3. seûstcelindûñ (G). On the S bank of the main Eel not far downstream from Dyerville.

4. tōnesdadûñ (G). On the NE bank of the Eel directly across from seûstcelindûñ.

5. tetcinne (G). On the E side of the Eel upstream from tōnesdadûñ. A big rock, pointing downstream, is said to project into the river there.

6. tûggûstcō dasañke (G). On the E side of the Eel S of tetcinne. A large rancheria in an open place.

7. naltcûñka (G). On the W side of Eel R. S of tûggûstcō dasañke. There is a big slide there. It is below Camp Grant on the S side, according to Charlie, 1903.

nahl-tsin´-kah (M). Camp Grant.

8. tōƚtciñyasta' (G). On the E side of the Eel about 1 mi. above naltcûñka. A large rock stands back of the village site.

9. tadûttcī' (G). On the E side of the Eel not far above tōƚtciñyasta', at the mouth of a large creek in which salmon run (tadakōk, Thompson Cr.?). Above Camp Grant.

10. tcillûñdûñ (G). On the E side of the Eel 1/4 mi. above tadûttcī'. An open place without a creek. (Given as kīlûndûñkīa by Charlie in 1903.)

11. ne'gakak, "moss"? (G). On the W side of the Eel opposite tcillûñdûñ.

12. ne'tcinkōk (G). At the mouth of a creek on the W side of the Eel some way above ne'gakak.

13. gactcōbi', "redwoods in" (G). In a large open flat among the redwoods on the E side of the Eel above ne'tcinkōk. Given by Charlie in 1903 as kûctcōbekīa on the S side.

14. On the E side of the Eel just S of a creek which flows down a steep rough bed on a rather high bench are 4 pits. The ground is black with refuse and cooking stones lie about. The river enters a canyon N of this creek. A round timbered butte is close to the mouth of the creek on the N. A great timbered butte seems to occupy the E bank of the river for several miles.

15. seda'dûn, "rock mouth place" (G). On the E side (W also?), where the river flows out between rocks. A small creek is there. About 2 mi. above gactcōbi'.

16. ƚtcûnta'dûñ (G). Said to have been on the W side of South Fork and the S side of the Eel R., where the store and saloon of Dyerville now stand.chin-tah´-tah (M). The flat occupied by Dyerville; this is no doubt the same as the name given by Goddard.17. kahs-cho´-chin-net´-tah (M). A large village on Bull Cr. about 7 mi. upstream from Dyerville. The place is now known as Schoolhouse Flat.18. ƚōlûñkī' (G). On the S bank of Bull Cr. at its mouth, in large redwood timber. There were 10 pits along the bank of South Fork and the pit of a yitco', 8 paces across, about 200 yds. W of the mouth of Bull Cr. A large redwood, hollowed by fire, had fallen, the floor being 4 ft. below the ground. Charlie remembered seeing Indians living in it. Charlie thought there used to be three or four houses on the S side of the creek, but we found no evidence of them. Three men were once killed here by whites, and a woman was shot through the hips; she lay here a day or two and died. One of the white men, named Steve, cut a piece from the arm of one of the Indians, built a fire, cooked it, and ate it. The best man of the Indians escaped.lo-lahn´-kōk (M). Bull Cr. Merriam does not mention a village at its mouth.19. ƚōlûñkōk yībañ (G). On the E bank of South Fork opposite and N of the mouth of Bull Cr. Two pits were seen directly across from Bull Cr. and 2 about 100 yds. downstream. They are in heavy redwood timber, but receive a good deal of sun because they are close to the river, which flows NW at this point.20. sōsnoibûndûñ (G). On the E bank of South Fork about a mile S of the mouth of Bull Cr. Five pits were counted in small redwood timber, where there is a spring which supplied the village. There used to be a yitco' here, in which Charlie remembered dancing when he was a small boy.21. nûnsûntcōtcī', "butte large mouth" (G). On both sides of the mouth of Brush Cr. (Canoe Cr.) in large redwood timber. On the N side are 6 pits, 5 of them in a row back about 30 yds. There are seven pits on the S side of the creek, some of them much plainer than others. The father of Albert's wife, Sally, came from this village.nahn´-sin-cho´-ke (M). See Place Names.22. sedjōcbī' (G). On the E bank of South Fork, which flows toward the W at this point. A stream fromthe E (Feese Cr.) flows in a little above the village. There are many tanbark oaks growing near by, which Charlie suggested were the reason for the village's being located here. Seven pits could be distinguished; the clearing away of timber may have obscured some others. The name setcōsdiñ was also given by Charlie. Tcōs means vagina, "what woman has."sā-chōs-te (M). See Place Names.23. gûtta'bûndûñ, named from a deep hole in the stream (G). On the W side of South Fork, where it flows toward the NE just below Myer's. The site has been completely washed away. Charlie's father belonged here and Charlie lived here when a boy. Jack, Charlie's half-brother, was born at this village. There used to be a yitco' and a large hollow tree in which a family used to spend the winter.kah-tah´-be (M). See Place Names.24. tantañaikī' bûndûñ (G). On the E side of South Fork. A creek, along which are many tanbark oaks, flows into South Fork on the opposite side and a little above. The name of the creek is tantañaikōk (Coon Cr.). The site is just below a garden. The place was so grown up with brakes it was impossible to count the pits.25. tōdûnni', "water sings" (G). On the NW corner of Myer's Flat on the right bank of South Fork, where it completes its course toward the W and turns toward the NE. The site has been washed away. There used to be large peppernut trees growing there. A few are still left. The name of Myer's Flat is kûnteltcōbī. It is also mentioned as kontelkyōbī.ken´-tes-cho´-be (M). See Place Names.26. sestcicbandûñ (G). On the right bank of South Fork on a narrow bench between the hill and that stream. There is an eddy in the river just above, which furnished good fishing, and many oaks are on the hills. The site received plenty of sun because the river flows W at this point. Four pits were seen. Also given as sûstcīcbī, "rough like a rasp."ses-che´-is-ke (M). See Place Names.27. sebûggûnna', "rock around" (G). On the right side and close to South Fork just downstream from a rocky point around which the river changes its direction from S to NW. Fourteen or fifteen pits could be distinguished, most of them quite distinct.sā-bug´-gah-nah´ (M). See Place Names.28. sekōntcōbandûñ (G). On the left side of South Fork nearly opposite sebûggûnna'. The sandy bench is covered with brakes. Five pits were made out. Charlie lived here for four years after he came back from the reservation. Also mentioned as tañaibī.29. sōldekōk bûkkī'dūñ (G). On a small flat covered with large redwood timber on the N side of South Fork and on the W side of Elk Creek (sōldekōk), which flows into it from the N. Seven pits were counted along the banks of the river and the creek.sōl´-te-che (M). See Place Names.30. senteƚtcelindûñ, "rock flat flows out place" (G). Close to the W bank of South Fork near a deep fishing place. There are three pits between the county road and the river. Also called sentelduñ.sen-tĕch-be (M). See Place Names.31. ca'nakī', "creek trail" (G). On the W bank of South Fork 100 yds. N of the mouth of Salmon Cr., in large redwoods. The river has washed the soil away so no evidence of occupation remains. Willow brush is now growing there. Also called natonankōk bûttcī'dûñ.sah-nah´-kōk (M). Name for Salmon Cr. See Place Names.32. tcīstcībi' (G). On the E bank of South Fork opposite the mouth of Salmon Cr. It is on the end of a ridge. Charlie had a ne'yīk' here after returning from the reservation (village site not visited). This village was mentioned by Sam as his birthplace. His mother may have been from here. Also referred to by Charlie as canakī' and tcûstcēkōok.33. nant'ō' (G). On the N side of Salmon Cr. in a bend. Large redwoods fill the valley of the creek as well as the particular site of this village. Five deep, distinct pits were seen. There are said to be one or two on the south side of the creek.34. kōnteƚbī, "flat in" (G). On a large flat, through which Salmon Cr. flows. The village was on the N side of the creek near where Tomlinson's barn now stands. There is a spring there near a pepperwood tree. This flat is now in peach orchard.35. kaslintcō'dûñ, "riffle large place" (G). On the N side of Salmon Cr. about 400 yds. upstream from kōnteƚbī'.36. setcinnabatse tcelindûn (G). On the N side of Salmon Cr. in a basin-like flat. Four pits were seen near the creek and 4 in a row back about 50 yds. against the base of the hill. There were 2 more pits in front of the last 4, making 10 in all. There is heavy Douglas spruce and tanbark oak timber on the southern side of the creek. About 200 yds. upstream is a waterfall, which provided fine fishing, since large salmon could not jump the falls.37. bandûñ (G). On the end of a ridge, W of a small run lined with peppernut trees. About 200 yds. NE of seƚtcindûñ. There were 5 pits, 2 of which were very large.38. setcinnabatse (G). On a flattened end of the ridge E of seƚtcindûñ, 300 yds. S and a little W of it. Two pits were certain.39. seƚtcindûñ (G). On the E side of a gulch, in which there was flowing water in July, about 300 yds. Nof Salmon Cr. There were 4 or 5 pits. The ground is strewn with black stones.40. tcebanedûñ (G). On the flattened portion of a ridge, with southern exposure. Black oaks and buckeyes are growing there. Seven pits were to be seen with black stones lying in them. Great broken rocks lie in a gulch to the west. About 350 yds. NNW of seƚtcindûñ.41. setcō'seye (G). A large rock, with the overhanging side facing SE. A rim of earth showed where the house wall used to be on the W. The E was left open. About 1/4 mi. W of the falls of Salmon Cr.42. tōƚelindûñ, "water flows together place" (G). On the flat W of Salmon Cr. and W of a large creek flowing into it from the S (South Fork Salmon Cr.). Four pits are close to the bank of Salmon Cr. and a fifth was partly caved in. One was seen on the lower part of the flat to the S.43. nesdai'dûñ (G). Said to be on a side hill.44. toƚelindûñ, "water comes together place" (G). Said to be where three creeks join, forming the South Fork of Salmon Cr., about 5 mi. from its mouth. Distinguished from the village at the mouth of the same creek by being called "small."45. sesōsye' (G). At the end of a ridge running down to Salmon Cr. from the E. So close to the bank of the stream that one pit has been undermined. Four remain. About 1/2 mi. NW of toƚelindûñ.46. ne'kañkī' (G). In the saucer-shaped end of a ridge, close to the E bank of Salmon Cr. and facing a little S of W. Opposite, a large creek, called ne'kañkōk, flows in from the W. There are 9 pits, which may still be seen. Five of them, situated close to the base of the hill, are very large and deep. Black oaks grow there.47. ne'iƚgaƚdûñ, "land shinny-playing place" (G). On a flat close to the E side of Salmon Cr., which swings around it. A gulch heads in the cedar grove N of the Hunter ranch buildings. Twelve or 13 pits were counted, 5 of which were quite distinct.48. seistcī' (G). About 1/2 mi. E of Salmon Cr. on the flattened southern slope of a ridge about 100 yds. from its crest. There are 8 pits in a row and 1 other, not in line with them. There is a gulch 100 ft. S of the row of pits. Cedars, black oaks, and buckeyes grow there. A small pond of water is E of the site.49. mûñkkasaikōk (G). On the W side of a branch of Salmon Cr. which flows from the N about 1/2 mi. W of the Burnell ranch house. Two pits are close to the stream and 4 or 5 are 10 or 15 ft. higher. The higher ones have good sun in the winter. The trail crosses the creek at this place.50. setc'ûntōdûñ (G). On the W side of the South Fork of the Eel about 1/4 mi. above the mouth of Butte Cr. (nûnsûnkōk), which provided desirable fishing. A large rock stands there close to the river. There are said to have been four houses. This site was not visited. It was mentioned by Charlie as sesuñtō; he said it was the most southerly village of his people. Sam called it senûnsīmkûk and said it belonged in Charlie's territory.The first name given by Goddard is evidently related to Merriam's sā´-chen-to´-te, "water against rock," which was said to be a place in the river near Goddard's setc'ûntōdûñ. See Place Names.

16. ƚtcûnta'dûñ (G). Said to have been on the W side of South Fork and the S side of the Eel R., where the store and saloon of Dyerville now stand.

chin-tah´-tah (M). The flat occupied by Dyerville; this is no doubt the same as the name given by Goddard.

17. kahs-cho´-chin-net´-tah (M). A large village on Bull Cr. about 7 mi. upstream from Dyerville. The place is now known as Schoolhouse Flat.

18. ƚōlûñkī' (G). On the S bank of Bull Cr. at its mouth, in large redwood timber. There were 10 pits along the bank of South Fork and the pit of a yitco', 8 paces across, about 200 yds. W of the mouth of Bull Cr. A large redwood, hollowed by fire, had fallen, the floor being 4 ft. below the ground. Charlie remembered seeing Indians living in it. Charlie thought there used to be three or four houses on the S side of the creek, but we found no evidence of them. Three men were once killed here by whites, and a woman was shot through the hips; she lay here a day or two and died. One of the white men, named Steve, cut a piece from the arm of one of the Indians, built a fire, cooked it, and ate it. The best man of the Indians escaped.

lo-lahn´-kōk (M). Bull Cr. Merriam does not mention a village at its mouth.

19. ƚōlûñkōk yībañ (G). On the E bank of South Fork opposite and N of the mouth of Bull Cr. Two pits were seen directly across from Bull Cr. and 2 about 100 yds. downstream. They are in heavy redwood timber, but receive a good deal of sun because they are close to the river, which flows NW at this point.

20. sōsnoibûndûñ (G). On the E bank of South Fork about a mile S of the mouth of Bull Cr. Five pits were counted in small redwood timber, where there is a spring which supplied the village. There used to be a yitco' here, in which Charlie remembered dancing when he was a small boy.

21. nûnsûntcōtcī', "butte large mouth" (G). On both sides of the mouth of Brush Cr. (Canoe Cr.) in large redwood timber. On the N side are 6 pits, 5 of them in a row back about 30 yds. There are seven pits on the S side of the creek, some of them much plainer than others. The father of Albert's wife, Sally, came from this village.

nahn´-sin-cho´-ke (M). See Place Names.

22. sedjōcbī' (G). On the E bank of South Fork, which flows toward the W at this point. A stream fromthe E (Feese Cr.) flows in a little above the village. There are many tanbark oaks growing near by, which Charlie suggested were the reason for the village's being located here. Seven pits could be distinguished; the clearing away of timber may have obscured some others. The name setcōsdiñ was also given by Charlie. Tcōs means vagina, "what woman has."

sā-chōs-te (M). See Place Names.

23. gûtta'bûndûñ, named from a deep hole in the stream (G). On the W side of South Fork, where it flows toward the NE just below Myer's. The site has been completely washed away. Charlie's father belonged here and Charlie lived here when a boy. Jack, Charlie's half-brother, was born at this village. There used to be a yitco' and a large hollow tree in which a family used to spend the winter.

kah-tah´-be (M). See Place Names.

24. tantañaikī' bûndûñ (G). On the E side of South Fork. A creek, along which are many tanbark oaks, flows into South Fork on the opposite side and a little above. The name of the creek is tantañaikōk (Coon Cr.). The site is just below a garden. The place was so grown up with brakes it was impossible to count the pits.

25. tōdûnni', "water sings" (G). On the NW corner of Myer's Flat on the right bank of South Fork, where it completes its course toward the W and turns toward the NE. The site has been washed away. There used to be large peppernut trees growing there. A few are still left. The name of Myer's Flat is kûnteltcōbī. It is also mentioned as kontelkyōbī.

ken´-tes-cho´-be (M). See Place Names.

26. sestcicbandûñ (G). On the right bank of South Fork on a narrow bench between the hill and that stream. There is an eddy in the river just above, which furnished good fishing, and many oaks are on the hills. The site received plenty of sun because the river flows W at this point. Four pits were seen. Also given as sûstcīcbī, "rough like a rasp."

ses-che´-is-ke (M). See Place Names.

27. sebûggûnna', "rock around" (G). On the right side and close to South Fork just downstream from a rocky point around which the river changes its direction from S to NW. Fourteen or fifteen pits could be distinguished, most of them quite distinct.

sā-bug´-gah-nah´ (M). See Place Names.

28. sekōntcōbandûñ (G). On the left side of South Fork nearly opposite sebûggûnna'. The sandy bench is covered with brakes. Five pits were made out. Charlie lived here for four years after he came back from the reservation. Also mentioned as tañaibī.

29. sōldekōk bûkkī'dūñ (G). On a small flat covered with large redwood timber on the N side of South Fork and on the W side of Elk Creek (sōldekōk), which flows into it from the N. Seven pits were counted along the banks of the river and the creek.

sōl´-te-che (M). See Place Names.

30. senteƚtcelindûñ, "rock flat flows out place" (G). Close to the W bank of South Fork near a deep fishing place. There are three pits between the county road and the river. Also called sentelduñ.

sen-tĕch-be (M). See Place Names.

31. ca'nakī', "creek trail" (G). On the W bank of South Fork 100 yds. N of the mouth of Salmon Cr., in large redwoods. The river has washed the soil away so no evidence of occupation remains. Willow brush is now growing there. Also called natonankōk bûttcī'dûñ.

sah-nah´-kōk (M). Name for Salmon Cr. See Place Names.

32. tcīstcībi' (G). On the E bank of South Fork opposite the mouth of Salmon Cr. It is on the end of a ridge. Charlie had a ne'yīk' here after returning from the reservation (village site not visited). This village was mentioned by Sam as his birthplace. His mother may have been from here. Also referred to by Charlie as canakī' and tcûstcēkōok.

33. nant'ō' (G). On the N side of Salmon Cr. in a bend. Large redwoods fill the valley of the creek as well as the particular site of this village. Five deep, distinct pits were seen. There are said to be one or two on the south side of the creek.

34. kōnteƚbī, "flat in" (G). On a large flat, through which Salmon Cr. flows. The village was on the N side of the creek near where Tomlinson's barn now stands. There is a spring there near a pepperwood tree. This flat is now in peach orchard.

35. kaslintcō'dûñ, "riffle large place" (G). On the N side of Salmon Cr. about 400 yds. upstream from kōnteƚbī'.

36. setcinnabatse tcelindûn (G). On the N side of Salmon Cr. in a basin-like flat. Four pits were seen near the creek and 4 in a row back about 50 yds. against the base of the hill. There were 2 more pits in front of the last 4, making 10 in all. There is heavy Douglas spruce and tanbark oak timber on the southern side of the creek. About 200 yds. upstream is a waterfall, which provided fine fishing, since large salmon could not jump the falls.

37. bandûñ (G). On the end of a ridge, W of a small run lined with peppernut trees. About 200 yds. NE of seƚtcindûñ. There were 5 pits, 2 of which were very large.

38. setcinnabatse (G). On a flattened end of the ridge E of seƚtcindûñ, 300 yds. S and a little W of it. Two pits were certain.

39. seƚtcindûñ (G). On the E side of a gulch, in which there was flowing water in July, about 300 yds. Nof Salmon Cr. There were 4 or 5 pits. The ground is strewn with black stones.

40. tcebanedûñ (G). On the flattened portion of a ridge, with southern exposure. Black oaks and buckeyes are growing there. Seven pits were to be seen with black stones lying in them. Great broken rocks lie in a gulch to the west. About 350 yds. NNW of seƚtcindûñ.

41. setcō'seye (G). A large rock, with the overhanging side facing SE. A rim of earth showed where the house wall used to be on the W. The E was left open. About 1/4 mi. W of the falls of Salmon Cr.

42. tōƚelindûñ, "water flows together place" (G). On the flat W of Salmon Cr. and W of a large creek flowing into it from the S (South Fork Salmon Cr.). Four pits are close to the bank of Salmon Cr. and a fifth was partly caved in. One was seen on the lower part of the flat to the S.

43. nesdai'dûñ (G). Said to be on a side hill.

44. toƚelindûñ, "water comes together place" (G). Said to be where three creeks join, forming the South Fork of Salmon Cr., about 5 mi. from its mouth. Distinguished from the village at the mouth of the same creek by being called "small."

45. sesōsye' (G). At the end of a ridge running down to Salmon Cr. from the E. So close to the bank of the stream that one pit has been undermined. Four remain. About 1/2 mi. NW of toƚelindûñ.

46. ne'kañkī' (G). In the saucer-shaped end of a ridge, close to the E bank of Salmon Cr. and facing a little S of W. Opposite, a large creek, called ne'kañkōk, flows in from the W. There are 9 pits, which may still be seen. Five of them, situated close to the base of the hill, are very large and deep. Black oaks grow there.

47. ne'iƚgaƚdûñ, "land shinny-playing place" (G). On a flat close to the E side of Salmon Cr., which swings around it. A gulch heads in the cedar grove N of the Hunter ranch buildings. Twelve or 13 pits were counted, 5 of which were quite distinct.

48. seistcī' (G). About 1/2 mi. E of Salmon Cr. on the flattened southern slope of a ridge about 100 yds. from its crest. There are 8 pits in a row and 1 other, not in line with them. There is a gulch 100 ft. S of the row of pits. Cedars, black oaks, and buckeyes grow there. A small pond of water is E of the site.

49. mûñkkasaikōk (G). On the W side of a branch of Salmon Cr. which flows from the N about 1/2 mi. W of the Burnell ranch house. Two pits are close to the stream and 4 or 5 are 10 or 15 ft. higher. The higher ones have good sun in the winter. The trail crosses the creek at this place.

50. setc'ûntōdûñ (G). On the W side of the South Fork of the Eel about 1/4 mi. above the mouth of Butte Cr. (nûnsûnkōk), which provided desirable fishing. A large rock stands there close to the river. There are said to have been four houses. This site was not visited. It was mentioned by Charlie as sesuñtō; he said it was the most southerly village of his people. Sam called it senûnsīmkûk and said it belonged in Charlie's territory.

The first name given by Goddard is evidently related to Merriam's sā´-chen-to´-te, "water against rock," which was said to be a place in the river near Goddard's setc'ûntōdûñ. See Place Names.

Shelter Cove Sinkyone villages (map 12).—The following list of villages comes almost entirely from Goddard's notes (G); relevant comments by Merriam are noted (M). Goddard's informants were Sam, Albert, and Charlie, of whom the first two were Shelter Cove Sinkyone, the last Lolangkok Sinkyone.

1. ke'kestcī' (G). Close to South Fork on the E side about 1/8 mi. S of the mouth of Fish Cr. (kekekōk). A large house with a garden is just below. A deep place in the river provided fishing, in addition to the creek. Three pits and a grinding stone were found. Plowing had probably filled in other pits. The first store of Phillipsville stood here. According to Sam (1903), this was the most northern village of his people.kă-kes´-kōk (M). Fish Cr.2. kûtdûntelbī', "flat in" (G). At the NW part of the Phillipsville flat. It is said to have been a large village. There is fishing in an eddy just upstream. The site has been washed away and therefore was not visited.ket´-tin-tel´-be (M). At a place called Phillipsville, 18 mi. S of Dyerville. The site is in an orchard on a ranch and has a fine redwood grove and a good camping place.3. sebīye, "at base of rock" (G). On the E side of South Fork at the upper end of the Phillipsville flat. The site has been plowed and was in fruit and garden when visited. One pit could still be seen. The river flows nearly W, hence the village has southern sun. Large redwoods occupy the left bank of the stream. A deep place here provided fishing.să-be-yĕ´ (M). The flat on the E side of South Fork, S of Phillipsville. See Place Names.4. tcingûlgeƚdûñ (name of a tree) (G). On the right bank of South Fork just below a turn to the E. Between the road and the river two pits were seen. There is a schoolhouse on the E side of the road. Many eels were caught near this village.chig-gel´-e-yes´-ke (M). A place 1.9 mi. S of Phillipsville. See Place Names.5. daƚtcimmûndûñ (G). On the right (S) bank of South Fork, where it flows W around a long ridge sloping down from the E. Seven pits were counted between the county road and the river, which may have carried others away. A large creek, seyekok (Rocky Glen Cr.), empties N of this place. This village was mentioned as t'altcimmûndûñ by Albert in 1907.Map 12. Villages of the Shelter Cove Sinkyone.sĕ-tes´-kōk (M). Rocky Glen Cr. See Place Names.6. tca'lûñkī' (G). On the E bank of South Fork. A small stream flows down from the E. Three pits were found on the N side of it and two on the S side. The place had been plowed. Charlie said there used to be many houses there. This village was given by Albert as tca'lûntcī.7. daƚkaikōk (G). On a flat 50 yds. E of the county bridge across Buhne Cr. (now called Dean Cr.), along both sides of the stream. Seven pits were found on the S side of the creek and two on the N side. The road and plowed fields may have reduced the number. This village was mentioned by Sam in 1903 as a settlement of his people.tahs-ki´-ke (M). Merriam attributes this village to the to-kub´-be people, who ranged E from here.8. daƚkaikī' (G). On the W side of South Fork, opposite the mouth of Dean Cr. Albert said there used to be a village there.This is evidently the village Merriam refers to in the paragraph above on village 7.9. ƚtûgganōbī' (G). On a flat on the E side of South Fork about 1/4 mi. above the mouth of Redwood Cr. Goddard noted that the place had a favorable location, but did not find the pits. Albert said there used to be a village there.stuk´-kan-no´-be (M). Name for the flat at this place. See Place Names.10. kōscīkī (G). A short way below Garberville, according to Sam (1903). Charlie said it was named kōssetcī' or kōsetcī' and that it was just below Garberville on the E side of the river. There used to be a store there.11. sebīyedadûñ, "rocks under..?... place" (G). A village at Garberville.12. kûnteƚtcōbī', "flat large in" (G). On a flat above Garberville.ken-tes´-che tahng-ah´-te (M). A beautiful deep valley on South Fork just SW of Garberville.13. Usal (not necessarily the native name). Not mentioned by Goddard, Merriam, or Nomland, but Gifford (1939, p. 304) says that both Coast Yuki and Sinkyone were spoken here (pl. 11,d).

1. ke'kestcī' (G). Close to South Fork on the E side about 1/8 mi. S of the mouth of Fish Cr. (kekekōk). A large house with a garden is just below. A deep place in the river provided fishing, in addition to the creek. Three pits and a grinding stone were found. Plowing had probably filled in other pits. The first store of Phillipsville stood here. According to Sam (1903), this was the most northern village of his people.

kă-kes´-kōk (M). Fish Cr.

2. kûtdûntelbī', "flat in" (G). At the NW part of the Phillipsville flat. It is said to have been a large village. There is fishing in an eddy just upstream. The site has been washed away and therefore was not visited.

ket´-tin-tel´-be (M). At a place called Phillipsville, 18 mi. S of Dyerville. The site is in an orchard on a ranch and has a fine redwood grove and a good camping place.

3. sebīye, "at base of rock" (G). On the E side of South Fork at the upper end of the Phillipsville flat. The site has been plowed and was in fruit and garden when visited. One pit could still be seen. The river flows nearly W, hence the village has southern sun. Large redwoods occupy the left bank of the stream. A deep place here provided fishing.

să-be-yĕ´ (M). The flat on the E side of South Fork, S of Phillipsville. See Place Names.

4. tcingûlgeƚdûñ (name of a tree) (G). On the right bank of South Fork just below a turn to the E. Between the road and the river two pits were seen. There is a schoolhouse on the E side of the road. Many eels were caught near this village.

chig-gel´-e-yes´-ke (M). A place 1.9 mi. S of Phillipsville. See Place Names.

5. daƚtcimmûndûñ (G). On the right (S) bank of South Fork, where it flows W around a long ridge sloping down from the E. Seven pits were counted between the county road and the river, which may have carried others away. A large creek, seyekok (Rocky Glen Cr.), empties N of this place. This village was mentioned as t'altcimmûndûñ by Albert in 1907.

Map 12. Villages of the Shelter Cove Sinkyone.

Map 12. Villages of the Shelter Cove Sinkyone.

Map 12. Villages of the Shelter Cove Sinkyone.

sĕ-tes´-kōk (M). Rocky Glen Cr. See Place Names.

6. tca'lûñkī' (G). On the E bank of South Fork. A small stream flows down from the E. Three pits were found on the N side of it and two on the S side. The place had been plowed. Charlie said there used to be many houses there. This village was given by Albert as tca'lûntcī.

7. daƚkaikōk (G). On a flat 50 yds. E of the county bridge across Buhne Cr. (now called Dean Cr.), along both sides of the stream. Seven pits were found on the S side of the creek and two on the N side. The road and plowed fields may have reduced the number. This village was mentioned by Sam in 1903 as a settlement of his people.

tahs-ki´-ke (M). Merriam attributes this village to the to-kub´-be people, who ranged E from here.

8. daƚkaikī' (G). On the W side of South Fork, opposite the mouth of Dean Cr. Albert said there used to be a village there.

This is evidently the village Merriam refers to in the paragraph above on village 7.

9. ƚtûgganōbī' (G). On a flat on the E side of South Fork about 1/4 mi. above the mouth of Redwood Cr. Goddard noted that the place had a favorable location, but did not find the pits. Albert said there used to be a village there.

stuk´-kan-no´-be (M). Name for the flat at this place. See Place Names.

10. kōscīkī (G). A short way below Garberville, according to Sam (1903). Charlie said it was named kōssetcī' or kōsetcī' and that it was just below Garberville on the E side of the river. There used to be a store there.

11. sebīyedadûñ, "rocks under..?... place" (G). A village at Garberville.

12. kûnteƚtcōbī', "flat large in" (G). On a flat above Garberville.

ken-tes´-che tahng-ah´-te (M). A beautiful deep valley on South Fork just SW of Garberville.

13. Usal (not necessarily the native name). Not mentioned by Goddard, Merriam, or Nomland, but Gifford (1939, p. 304) says that both Coast Yuki and Sinkyone were spoken here (pl. 11,d).

Following are a number of Shelter Cove Sinkyone villages which I have not been able to locate precisely.

kahs´-cho-so´-be (M). A village of the Briceland Sinkyone on South Fork about 4 mi. S of Garberville and not in sight from the present highway. It may not actually be one of the Briceland Sinkyone villages.kaicañkûk (G). On a ridge below Garberville. Information from Sam, 1903.ƚtcīkûk (G). On a ridge below seyadûñ on South Fork. Information from Sam, 1903.tōkûbbī (G). On a ridge above Garberville. Information from Sam, 1903. seya(e)dûñ (G). On a ridge on the E side of South Fork, probably below Garberville.

kahs´-cho-so´-be (M). A village of the Briceland Sinkyone on South Fork about 4 mi. S of Garberville and not in sight from the present highway. It may not actually be one of the Briceland Sinkyone villages.

kaicañkûk (G). On a ridge below Garberville. Information from Sam, 1903.

ƚtcīkûk (G). On a ridge below seyadûñ on South Fork. Information from Sam, 1903.

tōkûbbī (G). On a ridge above Garberville. Information from Sam, 1903. seya(e)dûñ (G). On a ridge on the E side of South Fork, probably below Garberville.

The first list of place names below was taken by Merriam from George Burt in 1923. (See map 13.) It starts at Scotia, runs upstream to the confluence of the Eel and South Fork, and then runs up South Fork as far as Garberville. Many of the places indicated cannot be located from maps and it would even be difficult to identify them on the spot. Merriam seems to have driven by auto from Scotia to Garberville, marking locations in tenths of miles.

tah´-cho. Main Eel R.hah´-tin cho´-be. A stretch of land on the S side of the main Eel extending from Scotia Bridge E at least to Brown's Mill, and S from the river to the top of the ridge.kahn-so´-ti-yĕ´, "under maple trees." A big loop of the river 2 mi. E from Scotia Bridge.hah´-ting-kōk. Jordan Cr., 2.2 mi. E of Scotia Bridge.hah´-tin cho´-be. The prairie on top of the ridge S of Jordan Cr. An old Indian trail goes up there. [Harrow Prairie. Merriam gives the same name for the prairie and the stretch of land above. The stretch of land is probably a village named for the prairie.]ahn´-sin ken-tes´-be, "Pepperwood Flat." A flat on the S side of the Eel, 3 mi. E of Scotia Bridge. [Pepperwood.]lah´-sa tal´-kōk, "Buckeye Creek." Bear Cr., nearly 6 mi. E of Scotia Bridge. "Used to be lots of salmon there."lah-sā-se´-te. The present town of Shively.bis´-kahl chum´-me. A bluff on Eel R. where the river makes a loop to the S. About 6.3 mi. from Scotia Bridge.sā-tahs´ chā-lin´-te. An extensive gravel flat on the N side of the Eel in the curve of a big loop in the river, 6.5 mi. from Scotia Bridge.sā-tahs´-be. A bluff on the N side of the Eel at the railroad tunnel 6-3/4 or 7 mi. E from Scotia Bridge. Said to be a rough place.ahn-sin´-tah´-be, "Pepperwood Flat." A flat on the S side of the river 7.5 mi. E from Scotia Bridge. Place now called Pepperwood.ahn-sin-tah´-kōk, "Pepperwood Creek." A small creek closely followed by the highway, about 7.5 to 8 mi. E from Scotia Bridge. [Evidently Chadd Cr.]kahs-tes´-be. Holmes' lumber camp, on S side of Eel about 7.5 mi. E of Scotia Bridge.slahn´-kō. Larabee Creek, entering the Eel from the E.kah´-li-cho´-be, "growing flat." At a place called Englewood, a small settlement 9 mi. E of Scotia Bridge and continuing to Englewood Roadhouse at 9.8 mi. The name is said to refer to things "growing up" there.tan´-kōs tah´-te (tan´-kōs meansEquisitum). A long ford 10.5 mi. E of Scotia Bridge. It is a long gravel bar on the N side of the river. It is named for the abundance of Horsetail (Equisitum) found there.sā´ cho´-te (sa means "rock"). A big rock projecting into the river from the S side, 11.5 mi. from Scotia Bridge. [It appears to be what is now called High Rock.]sā-tah´-ting. A redwood forest and flat near the rock sa cho-te and named for that rock.chin-tah´-tah. An extensive flat on the S side of the Eel from the mouth of South Fork W, including Dyerville, 13 mi. from Scotia Bridge.tsă-vel´-be. An area on the S side of the Eel immediately W of and adjoining chin-tah´-tah.lel´-lin teg´-o-be. The junction of South Fork with the main Eel R.sin´-ke-kōk. The South Fork of the Eel R.tah´-tung-i´-kut. South Fork railroad station.nahl-tsin´-kah (nahl-tsuk´-kah). Old Camp Grant.·hles-yah´-kah (les-yah´-kah). Fruitland in Elk Prairie.sā-tah´-be. Eel Rock, about 12 mi. up the Eel from its junction with South Fork.tah´-cho. The main Eel R.nah-tah´-ting i-kā. Dyerville Redwood Flat in the point between the main Eel and South Fork. The name means "pointed out," a descriptive term suggested by the geographical feature.lo-lahn´-kōk. Bull Cr.kahs-cho´ chi-net´-tah. Schoolhouse Flat, 7 mi. up Bull Cr.sā´-es-chā-lin´-te, "rock run out." On the E side of South Fork 1/2 or 3/4 mi. S of Dyerville.sit´-se-tahl´-ko. A small creek on the W side of South Fork about 1/2 mi. S of Bull Cr. [Evidently Decker Cr.]sā´-es´-kuk, "on top rock." A hill on the E side of South Fork 0.9 mi. S of Dyerville.lah´-sā-cho´-te. A straight shoot of South Fork beginning at sā´-es´-kuk Hill 0.9 mi. S of Dyerville. Lots of eels there in the spring.to-be´-ah. Schelling Camp Flat (lumber camp, garden, and orchard) on the E side of South Fork beginning 2.2 mi. and extending about 1/2 mi. to the S. [Evidently this is the present town of Weott.]Map 13. Place names of the Lolangkok Sinkyone.nahn´-sin-cho´-ke. The big hill to be seen on the E side of South Fork 3 mi. S of Dyerville.sā-chōs-te (sā-cho-stă), "vulva rock." A long gravel bar along both sides of the river and including a redwood flat 4 mi. S of Dyerville. Named for a mark on a rock resembling a woman's vulva, cho´-sā.che-ōs-cho´-te. A stretch of river 4.75 mi. S of Dyerville, including a small but good redwood flat. The name refers to foam on the water.sā´-boo-i-chan´-te. A big perforated rock in the river at a sharp bend 5.1 mi. S of Dyerville.kah-tah´-be. A stretch along both sides of the river 7.5 mi. S of Dyerville. It includes the State Redwood Park office building and adjacent redwoods.ken´-tes-cho´-be. Myers Flat, a little over 8 mi. S of Dyerville, including Myers Roadhouse. The Indians say this place was never covered with timber.ses-che´-is-ke. A place 8.7 mi. S of Dyerville, above ken-tes-cho-be.sā-bug´-gah-nah´. A place 9 mi. S of Dyerville where the river goes around rocks. [Evidently Eagle Pt.] George Burt once lived here and his son Guy Burt was born here.tub´-bel-chin´-tah chā-gel-kōk. A small creek 10 mi. S of Dyerville, entering South Fork from the E just S of a bend in the river. [Evidently Bridge Cr.]sōl´-te-che. A place at the mouth of Elk Cr., on the E side of South Fork. Includes the eastern part of Bolling Grove.sōl-te-kōk. Elk Creek, entering South Fork from the E in Bolling Grove, 10.3 mi. S of Dyerville.sen-tĕch-be. A rock in the river at a small bend 11.2 mi. S of Dyerville.ni´-te´-tĕ el-lah´-tĕ, "dog drowned" ... A place where a new bridge is now (1923) being built across South Fork, 12 mi. S of Dyerville. [Evidently this refers to the bridge at Blair Grove.]suk´-ke-chōs kah´-me, "eagle pawn." A big flat on the W side of the river 12.5 mi. S of Dyerville.chah´-ni-che´. Another large flat on the W side of the river, 13.5 mi. from Dyerville.sah-nah´-kōk. Salmon Cr., entering South Fork from the W nearly opposite Miranda.kahs´-cho-boo´-ah´-me. This was a small settlement in a flat at Miranda, 14.5 mi. S of Dyerville.sā-nan-sung´ (·sā-nan-tsin´-kah). Bear Butte, a conspicuous peak on the W side of South Fork, about 18 mi. S of Dyerville.sā´-chen-to´-te, "water against rock." A place in the river 16 mi. S of Dyerville.kă-kes´-kōk (kĕ-kes´-kōk). Fish Cr., 16.9 mi. S of Dyerville.kin´-tes-tah´-te. A big flat, probably a mile long and very broad, on the W side of the river, 17.5 mi. S of Dyerville. Just N of Phillipsville but on the opposite side of the river.ket´-tin-tel´-be. A flat (now orchard and ranch) and village on the E side of South Fork, 18 mi. S of Dyerville, at a place now called Phillipsville. It comprises a fine redwood grove and a good camping place.să-be-yĕ´. A flat on the E side of the river 0.7 mi. S of Phillipsville.

tah´-cho. Main Eel R.

hah´-tin cho´-be. A stretch of land on the S side of the main Eel extending from Scotia Bridge E at least to Brown's Mill, and S from the river to the top of the ridge.

kahn-so´-ti-yĕ´, "under maple trees." A big loop of the river 2 mi. E from Scotia Bridge.

hah´-ting-kōk. Jordan Cr., 2.2 mi. E of Scotia Bridge.

hah´-tin cho´-be. The prairie on top of the ridge S of Jordan Cr. An old Indian trail goes up there. [Harrow Prairie. Merriam gives the same name for the prairie and the stretch of land above. The stretch of land is probably a village named for the prairie.]

ahn´-sin ken-tes´-be, "Pepperwood Flat." A flat on the S side of the Eel, 3 mi. E of Scotia Bridge. [Pepperwood.]

lah´-sa tal´-kōk, "Buckeye Creek." Bear Cr., nearly 6 mi. E of Scotia Bridge. "Used to be lots of salmon there."

lah-sā-se´-te. The present town of Shively.

bis´-kahl chum´-me. A bluff on Eel R. where the river makes a loop to the S. About 6.3 mi. from Scotia Bridge.

sā-tahs´ chā-lin´-te. An extensive gravel flat on the N side of the Eel in the curve of a big loop in the river, 6.5 mi. from Scotia Bridge.

sā-tahs´-be. A bluff on the N side of the Eel at the railroad tunnel 6-3/4 or 7 mi. E from Scotia Bridge. Said to be a rough place.

ahn-sin´-tah´-be, "Pepperwood Flat." A flat on the S side of the river 7.5 mi. E from Scotia Bridge. Place now called Pepperwood.

ahn-sin-tah´-kōk, "Pepperwood Creek." A small creek closely followed by the highway, about 7.5 to 8 mi. E from Scotia Bridge. [Evidently Chadd Cr.]

kahs-tes´-be. Holmes' lumber camp, on S side of Eel about 7.5 mi. E of Scotia Bridge.

slahn´-kō. Larabee Creek, entering the Eel from the E.

kah´-li-cho´-be, "growing flat." At a place called Englewood, a small settlement 9 mi. E of Scotia Bridge and continuing to Englewood Roadhouse at 9.8 mi. The name is said to refer to things "growing up" there.

tan´-kōs tah´-te (tan´-kōs meansEquisitum). A long ford 10.5 mi. E of Scotia Bridge. It is a long gravel bar on the N side of the river. It is named for the abundance of Horsetail (Equisitum) found there.

sā´ cho´-te (sa means "rock"). A big rock projecting into the river from the S side, 11.5 mi. from Scotia Bridge. [It appears to be what is now called High Rock.]

sā-tah´-ting. A redwood forest and flat near the rock sa cho-te and named for that rock.

chin-tah´-tah. An extensive flat on the S side of the Eel from the mouth of South Fork W, including Dyerville, 13 mi. from Scotia Bridge.

tsă-vel´-be. An area on the S side of the Eel immediately W of and adjoining chin-tah´-tah.

lel´-lin teg´-o-be. The junction of South Fork with the main Eel R.

sin´-ke-kōk. The South Fork of the Eel R.

tah´-tung-i´-kut. South Fork railroad station.

nahl-tsin´-kah (nahl-tsuk´-kah). Old Camp Grant.

·hles-yah´-kah (les-yah´-kah). Fruitland in Elk Prairie.

sā-tah´-be. Eel Rock, about 12 mi. up the Eel from its junction with South Fork.

tah´-cho. The main Eel R.

nah-tah´-ting i-kā. Dyerville Redwood Flat in the point between the main Eel and South Fork. The name means "pointed out," a descriptive term suggested by the geographical feature.

lo-lahn´-kōk. Bull Cr.

kahs-cho´ chi-net´-tah. Schoolhouse Flat, 7 mi. up Bull Cr.

sā´-es-chā-lin´-te, "rock run out." On the E side of South Fork 1/2 or 3/4 mi. S of Dyerville.

sit´-se-tahl´-ko. A small creek on the W side of South Fork about 1/2 mi. S of Bull Cr. [Evidently Decker Cr.]

sā´-es´-kuk, "on top rock." A hill on the E side of South Fork 0.9 mi. S of Dyerville.

lah´-sā-cho´-te. A straight shoot of South Fork beginning at sā´-es´-kuk Hill 0.9 mi. S of Dyerville. Lots of eels there in the spring.

to-be´-ah. Schelling Camp Flat (lumber camp, garden, and orchard) on the E side of South Fork beginning 2.2 mi. and extending about 1/2 mi. to the S. [Evidently this is the present town of Weott.]

Map 13. Place names of the Lolangkok Sinkyone.

Map 13. Place names of the Lolangkok Sinkyone.

Map 13. Place names of the Lolangkok Sinkyone.

nahn´-sin-cho´-ke. The big hill to be seen on the E side of South Fork 3 mi. S of Dyerville.

sā-chōs-te (sā-cho-stă), "vulva rock." A long gravel bar along both sides of the river and including a redwood flat 4 mi. S of Dyerville. Named for a mark on a rock resembling a woman's vulva, cho´-sā.

che-ōs-cho´-te. A stretch of river 4.75 mi. S of Dyerville, including a small but good redwood flat. The name refers to foam on the water.

sā´-boo-i-chan´-te. A big perforated rock in the river at a sharp bend 5.1 mi. S of Dyerville.

kah-tah´-be. A stretch along both sides of the river 7.5 mi. S of Dyerville. It includes the State Redwood Park office building and adjacent redwoods.

ken´-tes-cho´-be. Myers Flat, a little over 8 mi. S of Dyerville, including Myers Roadhouse. The Indians say this place was never covered with timber.

ses-che´-is-ke. A place 8.7 mi. S of Dyerville, above ken-tes-cho-be.

sā-bug´-gah-nah´. A place 9 mi. S of Dyerville where the river goes around rocks. [Evidently Eagle Pt.] George Burt once lived here and his son Guy Burt was born here.

tub´-bel-chin´-tah chā-gel-kōk. A small creek 10 mi. S of Dyerville, entering South Fork from the E just S of a bend in the river. [Evidently Bridge Cr.]

sōl´-te-che. A place at the mouth of Elk Cr., on the E side of South Fork. Includes the eastern part of Bolling Grove.

sōl-te-kōk. Elk Creek, entering South Fork from the E in Bolling Grove, 10.3 mi. S of Dyerville.

sen-tĕch-be. A rock in the river at a small bend 11.2 mi. S of Dyerville.

ni´-te´-tĕ el-lah´-tĕ, "dog drowned" ... A place where a new bridge is now (1923) being built across South Fork, 12 mi. S of Dyerville. [Evidently this refers to the bridge at Blair Grove.]

suk´-ke-chōs kah´-me, "eagle pawn." A big flat on the W side of the river 12.5 mi. S of Dyerville.

chah´-ni-che´. Another large flat on the W side of the river, 13.5 mi. from Dyerville.

sah-nah´-kōk. Salmon Cr., entering South Fork from the W nearly opposite Miranda.

kahs´-cho-boo´-ah´-me. This was a small settlement in a flat at Miranda, 14.5 mi. S of Dyerville.

sā-nan-sung´ (·sā-nan-tsin´-kah). Bear Butte, a conspicuous peak on the W side of South Fork, about 18 mi. S of Dyerville.

sā´-chen-to´-te, "water against rock." A place in the river 16 mi. S of Dyerville.

kă-kes´-kōk (kĕ-kes´-kōk). Fish Cr., 16.9 mi. S of Dyerville.

kin´-tes-tah´-te. A big flat, probably a mile long and very broad, on the W side of the river, 17.5 mi. S of Dyerville. Just N of Phillipsville but on the opposite side of the river.

ket´-tin-tel´-be. A flat (now orchard and ranch) and village on the E side of South Fork, 18 mi. S of Dyerville, at a place now called Phillipsville. It comprises a fine redwood grove and a good camping place.

să-be-yĕ´. A flat on the E side of the river 0.7 mi. S of Phillipsville.

A mile south of Phillipsville there is a good view of Garberville Ridge, sĕ-chung´-kuk, a fine ridge, part timbered and part open grassy hillside, which slopes west from Little Buck Mountain, nā-ah-ki´-kah, the highest point, some distance back on the east.

to-be-yĕ, "prairie under." A small flat on the W side of the river 1 mi. S of Phillipsville.yen-nes´-be. A place 1.6 mi. S of Phillipsville.chig-gel´-e-yes´-ke. A place 1.9 mi. S of Phillipsville.sĕ´-chin-kōk´. A small stream probably 1.2 mi. S of Phillipsville. A possibility of error here. If the location is correct, the stream is probably Ohman Cr.sĕhl-ki´-kōk. A creek 2.1 mi. S of Phillipsville. The preceding location is probably an error and this is Ohman Cr.sĕ-ki´-ke. The land S of sĕhl-ki´-kōk Creek, reaching to 2.5 mi. S of Phillipsville.sĕ-tes´-kōk, "hard rock creek." Rocky Glen Cr., 2.5 mi. S of Phillipsville.ki-tes´-be, "hard brush." A place 2.9 mi. S of Phillipsville. There is a small ranch and orchard there now (1923).chan-tan-che´. A place a little more than 3 mi. S of Phillipsville. There are two big rocks and a creek there.sĕ-to´-be. A big rock facing a high bluff 4.3 mi. S of Phillipsville.sā-ken-nes´, "talking rock." A big rock on a creek on the W side of the river, 5.6 mi. S of Phillipsville.tuk´-ke-tahk. A beautiful open and partly wooded hill on the W side of the river 6 mi. S of Phillipsville.tuk´-ă-tah´-be. A place on the E side of the river 6 mi. S of Phillipsville. Named from tuk´-ke-tahk hill.tahs-ki´-kōk, "white flag creek." Dean Canyon Cr., 6.4 mi. S of Phillipsville.tahs-ki´-ke. Village at the mouth of tahs-ki´-kōk creek. It belongs to the To-kub´-be tribe.to´-che-be. A flat on the W side of the river 7.8 mi. S of Phillipsville.bus´-ken-nes´, "cliff talking." A cliff or bluff opposite to´-che-be.stuk´-kan-no´-be. A big semicircular grassy flat on the E side of the river beginning about 8 mi. S of Phillipsville. The present town of Redway.ahn´-chin-tah´-kōk. Redwood Cr.se´-ken-tĕch-tĕ. A place 9.5 mi. S of Phillipsville.sah-nah´-che-chel´-le. A place and creek 9.7 mi. S of Phillipsville.bus-ki´-cho. A white bluff on the road 10 mi. S of Phillipsville.kōs-kun-tes´-kah. A sloping, grassy, open flat 10.3 mi. S of Phillipsville. There was a To-kub´-be village here.ko´-se-che´. The area on both sides of the river 10.6 mi. S of Phillipsville. Just N of the Garberville bridge across Bear Canyon.sā-gĕ´-chĕ, "egg rock." A bold upright rock at the N end of the Garberville bridge across Bear Canyon; 10.6 mi. S of Phillipsville.ken-tes´-che tahng-ah´-te. A beautiful deep valley on South Fork just SW of Garberville. The bridge across the river on the way to Briceland is in this valley.si-cho´-kuk. A large village of the To-kub´-be near the site of the bridge across South Fork on the way from Garberville to Briceland.nahs-lin´-che. An area and village in a loop of South Fork a few miles S or SW of Garberville.ken´-nahl-lag´-gah-kōk (kan´-no-lig´-ah-kōk). East Branch of the South Fork of the Eel R.nā-yahn´-kah. A hill on the W side of South Fork near the bridge over East Branch.kahs´-cho-so´-be. A place and village on South Fork about 4 mi. S of Garberville and 3 or 4 mi. from the highway. Not in sight from the highway.kahs´-cho so´-ning-i´-be. A large redwood flat (Richardson Grove) on the W side of South Fork on the Humboldt side of the Humboldt-Mendocino County line.

to-be-yĕ, "prairie under." A small flat on the W side of the river 1 mi. S of Phillipsville.

yen-nes´-be. A place 1.6 mi. S of Phillipsville.

chig-gel´-e-yes´-ke. A place 1.9 mi. S of Phillipsville.

sĕ´-chin-kōk´. A small stream probably 1.2 mi. S of Phillipsville. A possibility of error here. If the location is correct, the stream is probably Ohman Cr.

sĕhl-ki´-kōk. A creek 2.1 mi. S of Phillipsville. The preceding location is probably an error and this is Ohman Cr.

sĕ-ki´-ke. The land S of sĕhl-ki´-kōk Creek, reaching to 2.5 mi. S of Phillipsville.

sĕ-tes´-kōk, "hard rock creek." Rocky Glen Cr., 2.5 mi. S of Phillipsville.

ki-tes´-be, "hard brush." A place 2.9 mi. S of Phillipsville. There is a small ranch and orchard there now (1923).

chan-tan-che´. A place a little more than 3 mi. S of Phillipsville. There are two big rocks and a creek there.

sĕ-to´-be. A big rock facing a high bluff 4.3 mi. S of Phillipsville.

sā-ken-nes´, "talking rock." A big rock on a creek on the W side of the river, 5.6 mi. S of Phillipsville.

tuk´-ke-tahk. A beautiful open and partly wooded hill on the W side of the river 6 mi. S of Phillipsville.

tuk´-ă-tah´-be. A place on the E side of the river 6 mi. S of Phillipsville. Named from tuk´-ke-tahk hill.

tahs-ki´-kōk, "white flag creek." Dean Canyon Cr., 6.4 mi. S of Phillipsville.

tahs-ki´-ke. Village at the mouth of tahs-ki´-kōk creek. It belongs to the To-kub´-be tribe.

to´-che-be. A flat on the W side of the river 7.8 mi. S of Phillipsville.

bus´-ken-nes´, "cliff talking." A cliff or bluff opposite to´-che-be.

stuk´-kan-no´-be. A big semicircular grassy flat on the E side of the river beginning about 8 mi. S of Phillipsville. The present town of Redway.

ahn´-chin-tah´-kōk. Redwood Cr.

se´-ken-tĕch-tĕ. A place 9.5 mi. S of Phillipsville.

sah-nah´-che-chel´-le. A place and creek 9.7 mi. S of Phillipsville.

bus-ki´-cho. A white bluff on the road 10 mi. S of Phillipsville.

kōs-kun-tes´-kah. A sloping, grassy, open flat 10.3 mi. S of Phillipsville. There was a To-kub´-be village here.

ko´-se-che´. The area on both sides of the river 10.6 mi. S of Phillipsville. Just N of the Garberville bridge across Bear Canyon.

sā-gĕ´-chĕ, "egg rock." A bold upright rock at the N end of the Garberville bridge across Bear Canyon; 10.6 mi. S of Phillipsville.

ken-tes´-che tahng-ah´-te. A beautiful deep valley on South Fork just SW of Garberville. The bridge across the river on the way to Briceland is in this valley.

si-cho´-kuk. A large village of the To-kub´-be near the site of the bridge across South Fork on the way from Garberville to Briceland.

nahs-lin´-che. An area and village in a loop of South Fork a few miles S or SW of Garberville.

ken´-nahl-lag´-gah-kōk (kan´-no-lig´-ah-kōk). East Branch of the South Fork of the Eel R.

nā-yahn´-kah. A hill on the W side of South Fork near the bridge over East Branch.

kahs´-cho-so´-be. A place and village on South Fork about 4 mi. S of Garberville and 3 or 4 mi. from the highway. Not in sight from the highway.

kahs´-cho so´-ning-i´-be. A large redwood flat (Richardson Grove) on the W side of South Fork on the Humboldt side of the Humboldt-Mendocino County line.


Back to IndexNext