ANTRIM CASTLE.
ANTRIM CASTLE.
ANTRIM CASTLE.
“Brown in the rust of time—it stands sublimeWith overhanging battlements and towers,And works of old defence—a massy pile,And the broad river winds around its baseIn bright, unruffled course.”
“Brown in the rust of time—it stands sublimeWith overhanging battlements and towers,And works of old defence—a massy pile,And the broad river winds around its baseIn bright, unruffled course.”
“Brown in the rust of time—it stands sublimeWith overhanging battlements and towers,And works of old defence—a massy pile,And the broad river winds around its baseIn bright, unruffled course.”
Antrimtown is situated in the county of the same name, on the right bank of Six-Mile-Water just before it enters Lough Neagh, a little more than thirteen miles north-west of Belfast.
The castle, sometimes erroneously called Massereene Castle, was erected in the reign of James I. by Sir Hugh Clotworthy, a gentleman of Somersetshire.
Hugh and Lewis Clotworthy were amongst those who accompanied the Earl of Essex in his expedition to Ulster in 1573, and in 1603 Captain Hugh Clotworthy was doing garrison duty at Carrickfergus under Sir Arthur Chichester. In 1605 he received a grant of the confiscated lands of “Massarine,” and erected a residence on the site of the present building. This consisted of a moated courtyard flanked by towers.
Shortly afterwards he was knighted, and married the beautiful Marion Langford “of the flowing tresses.”
In 1610 Sir Hugh Clotworthy commenced to erect a castle according to the undertaking of the grant, and it was completed in three years. It consisted of a quadrangular pile, three storeys in height, which enclosed asmall courtyard, and was flanked at the angles by square towers. The walls measured 6 feet in thickness. A short flight of granite steps led to the entrance hall, which contained a great open fireplace. On the right of the hall was the “buttery,” where at about 3 feet from the floor was a small square door through which food was distributed to the poor. The townspeople had the privilege of passing through the hall by the buttery to a pathway leading to the lake.
The river protected the castle on the west, while on the other sides it was surrounded by a moat. The “Mount” to the east of the castle was furnished with ordnance. Two bastions commanded respectively the town on the south and the lake on the north. The whole fortress covered more than five acres of ground.
Extensive alterations were made in the castle in 1813 by Chichester, fourth Earl of Massereene. At present it consists of a square embattled building of three storeys with a long wing at the same elevation running northward, flanked by two castellated towers near the end. At its extremity rises a very high tower in Italian style, which gives a most picturesque appearance to the stables when viewed from the lough.
The grand entrance hall is square, and the wall which once divided it from the centre courtyard has been replaced by oak pillars leading to an inner vestibule and staircase which occupies the site of the former open space. From this a passage extends the whole length of the castle to the Italian tower. The oak room is a magnificent apartment, wainscotted in dark Irish oak, relieved with lighter shades and exquisitely carved. The panels are painted with armorial bearings. There is a beautiful carved chimney-piece at the lower end of the apartment set with the grate in one frame. Upon touching a secret spring this all swings out and discloses a recess large enough to hide in. The furniture of the room is alsoIrish oak. Here is preserved the “Speaker’s Chair” of the Irish House of Commons.
The drawing-room and library are both very handsome rooms, and with the oak room, breakfast-room, parlour, and dining-room, form a splendid suite of rooms, opening one off the other. There is a very valuable collection of family portraits in the castle.
The Italian tower contains the chapel, record-room, and a small study. The first of these is in Gothic style and beautifully proportioned. Among the treasures to be seen here are Cranmer’s New Testament and Queen Mary’s Bible.
Over the front entrance is a stone screen slightly raised from the wall and ending in a pointed arch under the parapet wall. It is about 8 feet in width, and is handsomely sculptured with arms, mottoes, and events connected with the castle and its owners. At the top is a carved head representing Charles I., supposed to have been placed there by the first Viscount when he added to the fortress in 1662. Lower down are the arms of the founder and his wife, with the date of erection (1613), &c. Immediately over the hall door is a carved shell supported by mermaids, which represents the Skeffyngton crest.
The two ancient bastions have been formed into terrace gardens, and the grounds of the whole castle are most beautifully laid out. A splendid view is obtained from the old “Mount,” the summit of which is reached by a winding path.
The demesne is entered from the town through a castellated entrance, surmounted by a turretted warder’s lodge, which upon state occasions in modern times has been sentinelled with warders garbed in antique costume, battle-axe in hand.
Near the gatehouse upon the angle of the southern bastion is the carved stone figure of “Lady Marion’s Wolfdog,” representing that splendid Irish breed nowextinct. At one time this statue surmounted a turret of the castle, where the great animal appeared to be keeping a “look out” over the lough. Local superstition said that it had appeared there without human agency on the night after the incident occurred with which the legend connects it, and that as long as it keeps watch over the castle and grounds so long will the race of Lady Marion Clotworthy continue to live and thrive.
The story is as follows:—The lovely bride of Sir Hugh Clotworthy wandered one day in his absence outside the bawn walls along the shores of Lough Neagh. Hearing behind her a low growl, she turned round to find a wolf preparing to spring. In her terror she fell to the ground, and with the force of the animal’s leap he passed beyond her. Before he had time to return to his victim a large wolf-hound had seized him in mortal combat. The lady fainted at the sight, and when she recovered consciousness the dog was licking her hands, while the wolf lay dead. She bound up the noble animal’s wounds, and he followed her home, being her constant companion for many a day, until he suddenly disappeared and no trace of him could be found.
Shortly after this the castle was built, and one wild, stormy night the deep baying of a wolf-hound was heard passing round and round the walls of the fortress. The warders, scared by the unusual sound, kindled the beacon on the mount, and by its light discovered a band of natives making preparation for an attack. A few shots dispersed them, but before they left a howl of pain was heard near the entrance gate, where a few flattened bullets were found the next morning. Then upon the castle tower the affrighted warders perceived the stone figure of the dog.
It is probable that Sir Hugh had the figure carved to please his lady, and after the attack considered its mysterious appearance on the fortress the best protection against a superstitious enemy, who had most likely destroyed the beautiful original, which had come from the Abbey of Massarine to warn its former kind friend of danger.
Sir Hugh Clotworthy was succeeded by his son, Sir John, afterwards first Viscount Massereene. He sat in both the Irish and English Houses of Commons, and was one of Stafford’s chief accusers. He was in London when the rebellion of 1641 broke out. The insurrection was in part prevented by a retainer of his, one Owen O’Conally, called “the great informer.”
Sir John’s brother, James, secured the castle in his absence from attack, and the owner returned to it at the end of the year, and took command of the forces in the district. He was imprisoned in 1647 for three years for censuring (with other Members of Parliament) the seizing of the King. During this time his mother, the Lady Marion, occupied the castle. O’Conally commanded Sir John’s regiment in his absence, and in 1649 it was joined to General Monk’s forces. Oliver Cromwell made O’Conally commander of the regiment then at Antrim Castle, and Monro marched against it and killed its leader, but the castle still remained in possession of the troops.
Sir John was raised to the peerage by Charles II. in 1660 as Viscount Massereene. He had no son, and was succeeded in the title and estates by his son-in-law, Sir John Skeffyngton, and henceforward his surname was added to the family name of Clotworthy.
James II. conferred several honourable appointments on him, nevertheless the “Antrim Association” was formed in the castle upon the beginning of the revolution, and the Viscount’s eldest son, Colonel Clotworthy Skeffyngton, was appointed Commander-in-Chief.
The Jacobite General, Hamilton, pushed on to Antrim after his success at Dromore, and Lord Massereene fled from the castle at his approach. The family plate, valued at £3,000, which was hidden before the family left, wasshown to the newcomers by a servant, and was seized by them.
Colonel Gordon O’Neill, son of the great Sir Phelim, occupied the fortress in 1688-89, but Lord Massereene recovered his property when William came to the throne.
His grandson was created an earl in 1756, but this title expired in 1816, when Harriet Viscountess of Massereene succeeded to the estates, and through her they passed to the present Viscount.
The last time that the castle figured in history was during the battle of Antrim in 1798. The yeomanry bravely held the castle gardens against all comers, while the great gun of the mount, “Roaring Tatty,” was drawn from its position and fired on the town. One, Ezekiel Vance, gave the signal to the military outside the town to advance by waving a woman’s red cloak from one of the towers of the fortress.
The present Lord Massereene is the 11th Viscount.
Thetown of Arklow is thirty-nine miles and a half south by east of Dublin, in the County Wicklow.
Joyce thinks the name may have a Danish origin, but others believe it comes from the Irish wordArdchoch.
The ruins of the castle are situated on high ground on the south side of the Ovoca River, and consist of a ruined and now ivy-clad round tower, which protected the northern angle. This building is broken on the riverside to about 12 feet in height, but on the south side it measures some 46 feet.
About 10 feet from the ground is a pointed doorway, which leads to a stone floor formed by the arch of the lower chamber. Thirty-four stone steps in the thickness of the wall give access to the top of the tower from this platform.
This building is one of similar flanking towers which defended the walls still running south and west, the remains of some of the other turrets having only disappeared during the last century.
A barrack for two companies of soldiers was built near the former site of the castle, and the walls of the latter were incorporated with those enclosing the yard of the new building.
A monastery was founded at Arklow by Theobald FitzWalter, hereditary Lord Butler of Ireland, who also built the castle.
Lord Theobald Walter le Botiller died in the castle in1285, and was buried in the convent of the Friars Preachers in Arklow, beneath a tomb ornamented with his effigy.
In 1331 the castle was attacked by the O’Tooles, but Lord de Bermingham came to its relief with a small party, and drove the enemy off with considerable loss. The same year, however, the Irish got possession of it by treachery.
The Lord Chief Justice again re-captured it in 1332, with the help of Dublin citizens and the English settlers in Wicklow, so that it was once more in the King’s hands, and at this time it was partly rebuilt.
In 1522-24 Sir Piers Butler was accused of being in league with the O’Mores, and of using the castle of Arklow to rob both by land and sea.
The following year the Earl of Kildare made a series of charges against the Earl of Ormond through Lord Leonard Grey, amongst which was that of keeping a ward of evil persons in Arklow Castle to rob the surrounding neighbourhood.
A few years later (1532) the Earl of Ossory and Ormond complained to Thomas Cromwell that the Earl of Kildare was trying to get some of his castles into his possession (amongst which he mentioned Arklow), under the plea of holding them by lease from the Earl of Wiltshire. He states these fortresses “bee the veray keyes of the cuntrey,” and that the King ought to prevent Kildare becoming too powerful. Sir Thomas Bullen had then been created Earl of Ormond and Wiltshire by Henry VIII.
During the rebellion of “the Silken Thomas” in 1536 the King had to send “an army royal” to get the castle of Arklow and others into his possession.
The following year the manor was re-granted to Peter Butler, Earl of Ossory and Ormond.
In 1578, when forming the county of “Wicklo or Arcklo,” the castle of the latter is mentioned as the chiefplace, and belonging to the Earl of Ormond, who was also Lord of Arklow.
The Lord Deputy placed a garrison there in 1581.
In March, 1589, Feagh M’Hugh O’Byrne seized the wife of Hugh Duff O’Donnell, uncle to Sir Hugh O’Donnell, who was a tenant of the Earl of Ormond in Arklow Castle. In the autumn of the same year O’Byrne tried to force an entrance into the castle “to execute his malice” upon Hugh O’Donnell.
The land was laid waste round the fortress in 1600, but the castle was held for the Queen by the Earl of Ormond at his own expense.
In the rebellion of 1641 the Irish surprised the fortress and killed the garrison. It remained in their possession until 1649, when it was captured by Cromwell’s forces, of which the following is the account:—
“The army marched through almost a desolate country until it came to a passage of the River Doro, about a mile above the Castle of Arklow, which was the first seat and honour of the Marquis of Ormond’s family, which he had strongly fortified; but it was upon the approach of the army quitted, wherein he (Cromwell) left another company of foot.”
Thename was originally Tartain, and is probably derived from Tortan, meaning a diminutivetor, being a small knoll or high turf-bank. The site of the former castle is situated on the southern border of the Barony of Coolock, in the County of Dublin, about three miles from the city.
The Artane Industrial School now occupies the castle grounds, and the manor house is used as the residence of the Christian Brothers. Lewis states that this house was built of stones from the old castle, but, at any rate, the present dining-room is supported by beams taken from the fortress.
A hen-run belonging to the school is now on the site of the former stronghold not far from the present house.
The manor of Artane was acquired by the family of Hollywood, or “de Sacro Bosco,” in the fourteenth century, by Robert de Hollywood, one of the Remembrancers, and afterwards Baron of the Exchequer.
In 1416 and 1420 the King committed the custody of the lands to Philip Charles and Richard FitzEustace during the minority of Robert Hollywood, the King’s ward, son of the late Christopher Hollywood.
On the 27th of July, 1534, the rash Lord Offaly rose in rebellion, and threw the Sword of State on the Council table in Dublin, upon the rumour of his father, the Earl of Kildare, having been murdered in London. He left the presence of the assembly with armed men to muster freshforces for the rising, and Dublin was at once seized with panic.
John Allen, Archbishop of Dublin, was then in Dublin Castle, and having been as bitter and relentless a foe of the Geraldines as his patron Wolsey, he decided to fly when news of the outbreak reached him. He had with him a trusted servant named Bartholomew FitzGerald, who urged him to sail to England, and offered to pilot him across. The Archbishop seems to have had implicit faith in his follower, although a Geraldine, and it has never been actually proved that it was misplaced.
The Prelate and his attendants embarked in the evening at Dames Gate, but owing, some say to adverse winds, and others to the design of the pilot, the little vessel stranded at Clontarf.
The Archbishop at once made his way to the house of his late friend, Thomas Hollywood, at Artane, whose hospitality he had commemorated in his “Repertorium Viride.”
At this time the wardship of the heir, Nicholas Hollywood, was in the hands of Richard Delahide and Thomas Howth.
It seems hardly possible that the Lord Thomas FitzGerald could have heard of the mishap so quickly unless treachery had been employed. Be that as it may, he and a band of armed followers arrived at Artane in the early morning, being the 28th of July, and surrounded the castle while the Archbishop still slept.
Among the party were the young Vice-Deputy’s uncles, Sir James and Oliver FitzGerald, James Delahide, and about forty men.
He sent two Dublin yeomen, John Teeling and Nicholas Wafer, into the house to bring out the Archbishop. They dragged him out of bed, and brought him before the Lord Thomas “feeble for age and sickness, kneeling in his shirt and mantle, bequeathing his soul toGod, his body to the traitor’s mercy.” He “besought him not to remember former injuries, but to consider his present calamity, and whatever malice he might bear to his person to respect his calling.”
It seems that the “Silken Thomas” was touched by the appeal of his helpless foe, and turning his head aside, he said, “Beir naim an bodach,” meaning, “Take the churl away from me,” and, no doubt, as he afterwards said, he only intended them to imprison him. His followers, however, put a different interpretation upon his order, and immediately murdered the Archbishop, who was in the fifty-eighth year of his age.
Some say he was dragged within the castle hall, and there put to death, while others say that the spot on which he was slain was hedged in and shunned as an unholy place for many years.
Lord Thomas could not have been ignorant of what had occurred, as he sent Robert Reilly the same day to Maynooth with a casket which had belonged to the murdered prelate.
Lord Offaly was excommunicated for the crime in St. Patrick’s Cathedral with great solemnity.
Shortly after this Thomas Howth,aliasSt. Laurence, one of young Hollywood’s guardians, went to live at Artane.
This Nicholas Hollywood also died while his son Christopher was a minor, and in 1570 the wardship and marriage of the boy was granted to John Bathe, of Drumcondra. In 1585 a Charles Hollywood is referred to as being of Tartaine.
Nicholas Hollywood possessed the manor and lands of Artane in 1587. They contained one castle, six messuages, and one hundred and ninety acres of land held of the King,in capiteby knight’s service. He died in 1629.
During the rebellion of 1641 Lord Netterville’s son, Luke, possessed himself of the castle, and established abody of Royalist troops in the stronghold. He met with no opposition, as one of the Hollywood family named Christopher was a partisan, who afterwards sat in the Council of Confederate Catholics at Kilkenny.
Nicholas Hollywood forfeited the estate at this time, and John Hollywood, one of the signers of the Roman Catholic Remonstrance, came into possession.
In 1680 the King granted the estate for one thousand years to Sir Arthur Forbes, one of the Commissioners of the Court of Claims.
Lewis says the old Castle was pulled down in 1825 by Mathew Boyle, Esq., who erected the present manor house with the material. He also says it belonged to the Callaghan family in 1837, while D’Alton states Lord Maryborough owned it in 1838. The Butler family resided there at a later date.
A tomb of Elizabeth, daughter of John Talbot of Malahide, and wife of Christopher Hollywood, is in the old churchyard adjacent. She died in 1711, and her husband in 1718.
Thecastle of Athlone is situated on the Connaught side of the river Shannon in the Barony of Athlone, County Roscommon, sixty miles west-by-north of Dublin.
The name is derived fromath, “a ford,” andluain, “the moon,” and signifies “the ford of the moon,” to which it is supposed to have been dedicated in pagan times. Some gold lunettes and crescents found in a neighbouring bog seem to bear out the statement.
The castle commands the bridge, and is built upon a spur of the hill upon which the town on the Connaught side is built. It is overlooked by the houses of the town, while on the river side it is supported by a great buttress of masonry.
The entrance is on the road which leads from the bridge up to the town, and is by a modern drawbridge.
The fortress consists of a strong curtain wall having circular towers mounted with cannon at irregular intervals. Most of them have been restored with fresh blue limestone.
The Connaught tower, which stands isolated in the courtyard, is considered the oldest part of the fortress, and usually supposed to have formed the keep of the first Norman castle built in King John’s reign. It is decagonal in form, but owing to having been pebble-dashed and whitened of late years, it does not retain an appearance of antiquity.
The English stronghold was erected on the site of anold Celtic fortress of the O’Connors. It is recorded that the castle and bridge of Athlone were built in 1129 by Turloch O’Connor, “in the summer of the drought.”
The following year they were demolished by Murogh O’Mleghlin and Feirnan O’Rorke, and in 1153 the castle was burned.
Between 1210 and 1213 the Norman fortress was erected by John de Grey, Bishop of Norwich, in his capacity of Lord Justiciary of Ireland. During its building a tower fell and killed Lord Richard Tuit, who founded the Cistercian Abbey of Granard, County Longford.
Athlone Castle was built on abbey land, and in 1214 King John commanded Henry, Archbishop of Dublin, to give the monks a tenth of the expenses of the castle in lieu of the land used, in accordance with the conditions agreed to by the Bishop of Norwich when he was fortifying it. After this there are several references in the State Documents to the tithes and other compensation due to the monks.
In 1221 the King instituted a fair to be held at the castle.
The fortress being situated on the border of Irish territory, its early history has an exceedingly stormy record. In 1226 Geoffrey de Marisco, who was then Justiciary of Ireland, complained that as the King of Connaught refused to come to Dublin, he had appointed to meet him at Athlone, although the castle was fortified against the Crown.
In 1232 an order was issued to Hubert de Burgh to deliver the castle to Peter de Rivall, and the next year one to Richard de Burgh, who was to surrender it to Maurice FitzGerald, Justiciary of Ireland.
Walter de Lacy received twenty marks for the custody of the fortress in 1240, and eleven years later a tax was levied for its repair.
It was granted to Prince Edward, the King’s son, in 1254; and during the years 1276-77 it was repaired.
Richard de Verdon was besieged in the castle in 1288 by Richard de Burgo, and the same year John, Archbishop of Dublin, took up residence there to oversee its better fortification, and to try and make terms with the Irish.
In 1305 Richard de Burgh, Earl of Ulster, was constable.
The castle was “obtained” for the King in 1537, having been in the hands of the Irish for many years. It contained only one piece of broken ordnance, and there is a request that another piece should be sent.
During Queen Elizabeth’s reign it was the residence of the President of Connaught, and also the Chief Justice and Attorney-General for Connaught.
Tradition states that the Earl of Essex frequently stayed in the castle, and some of his letters to the Queen are dated from Athlone.
The O’Conor Don was imprisoned in the fortress in 1570 while Sir E. Fitton was constable, as a hostage for the good behaviour of his sept. Some of his followers, however, brought a “cot” under the castle walls, into which the captive stepped, and so escaped.
In 1585-86 it is described as being a fitter residence for the Chief Commissioner of Connaught than the Lord Deputy in the following words:—“That the castle is conveniently furnished with buildings and other necessaries fit for the said Commissioner, but far too mean for the Lord Deputy and the train that must follow the state.”
It was ordered to be garrisoned in 1599, and the following year it was to be entrusted to none but a “sound Englishman.” In 1606 it was repaired and added to.
Two years later it was seized by the Earls Tyrone and Tyrconnell. It passed again to the Crown, and the Earl of Clanricard was constable in 1610.
Thirteen years later it was repaired, and a curious tax ismentioned with regard to the operations, which is, that the sept of Kellyes was bound to supply three hundred labourers yearly for work in the fortress.
The Court of Claims sat in the castle during the Commonwealth.
In 1682 Sir H. Piers writes of it:—“In the centre of the castle is a high raised tower which overlooketh the walls and country round about. On the side that faceth the river are rooms and apartments which served always for the habitation of the Lord President of Connaught and Governor of the castle, the middle castle being the storehouse for ammunition and warlike provisions of all sorts.”
After the battle of the Boyne in 1690, Lieut.-General Douglas, with ten regiments of infantry, three of horse, two of dragoons, twelve field-pieces, and two small mortars, endeavoured to take possession of Athlone. The bridge across the Shannon was broken, and he erected his batteries on the Leinster side of the river.
He continued the cannonading for eight days, but his powder running short he was obliged to retire. In his despatch he stated he had done his best, and that it was his opinion Athlone Castle was “of the greatest importance of any in Ireland.”
Colonel Richard Grace held the fortress for King James.
The following year the main division of William’s army, under de Genckell, laid siege to the town. At once seizing that portion of it that is in Leinster, he began to play his batteries on the north-east side of the castle on June 22nd. By seven in the evening he had made a large breach in the walls.
Firing continued all night, and by five in the morning the side of the castle next the river was completely broken down, and the garrison was obliged to go in and out by a hole made in the wall on the western side.
The following evening the castle garrison raised twobatteries above the castle, and some others, but the firing had little effect. The bridge was slowly and surely gained by the besieging troops, and their guns played constantly on the fortress, wrecking the Connaught tower and walls.
Two officers deserting from the town informed William’s troops that the best regiments had been withdrawn by St. Ruth, and thereupon a concerted and sudden attack was made on the 30th of June, which carried the bridge, castle, and town by storm.
Repairs were at once begun by the victors on July 3rd, and in 1697 the castle was the chief depôt of military stores in the west.
It is now used as a barrack, and officers’ quarters and other buildings have been erected inside the walls.
Thisfine old ruin is situated in the Barony of Corran, County Sligo, about twelve miles north-west of Boyle.
The name signifies the “town of the moat,” and was not used before the building of the Norman fortress. Some think “mote” is derived from “mound,” but it is more likely to refer to the ditch which surrounded the castle until the close of the seventeenth century. The place was formerly called Athcliath-in-Chorainn, or “the hurdleford of Corran.”
The castle fell to ruin after the rebellion of 1688. The curtain walls, which are 9 feet thick, were flanked by six round towers, one of them still being about 60 feet in height. The courtyard which was thus enclosed contained 150 square feet.
A passage about 3 feet wide ran round in the thickness of the walls, and communicated with the towers and defences. The state-rooms were on the north side of the courtyard, and some of them were fine apartments. The Survey of 1633 calls this part “the Court.” A few traces of outworks remain.
About twenty years ago the present Rector of Ballymote was told by an old man that an underground passage was locally supposed to lead from the castle to the abbey, a distance of about 200 yards. Upon further investigation Canon Walker discovered two arches, one in the vestry of the abbey and the other within the castle, apparently leading in the same direction. Both are now choked withrubbish. The entrance in the castle is exceedingly narrow, and was reached from the castle yard by descending steps.
Ballymote was erected by Richard de Burgo, “the Red Earl,” in 1300. It was dismantled in 1318, and twenty-two years later it was in the possession of Turlough O’Conor, King of Connaught, who was besieged in it by MacDermot. Peace was afterwards concluded.
In 1346 it was restored and garrisoned by John de Kerrew.
Two years later it is referred to as belonging to Rory O’Conor, and it was by that family entrusted to the MacDonoughs to hold against the Burkes. These MacDonoughs seized the castle of Ballylahan in 1381, and taking its gate to Ballymote, there erected it.
In 1470 Brian MacDonough, who was lord of Ballymote, was slain by Teige MacDonough, who took possession of the castle. It was still in this family’s possession in 1522 when the famous parchment “Book of Ballimote” was sold by the MacDonough of the time to Hugh Oge O’Donnell for the large price of 140 milch cows, he having first obtained the consent of his family to the transaction.
The MacDermots laid siege to the castle in 1561, and Cathal and Owen MacDermot were both slain before the walls. Five years later the castle was taken by the English and Hugh and Comac MacDonough imprisoned. Almost immediately, however, the fortress was surprised by Tomaltach and Duagal MacDonough.
Sir Richard Bingham recovered Ballymote in 1584 and placed his brother George in charge with seven warders, while he also carried off MacDonough as hostage. At this time sixteen quarters of the best land were set aside for the castle’s maintenance, which seems to have given rise to a great deal of jealousy regarding its custody. The year after its capture Sir Richard applied to be made constable, with a lease of the fortress for sixty years.
In 1587, writing to Mr. Treasurer Wallop, he states he is willing to give up Ballymote if he is refunded the money he has laid out upon it. The following year George Goodman and Thomas Wood seem to have been constables.
The Irish burnt the town and drove the garrison back to the castle in 1593, and two years later O’Conor Sligo petitioned the Government for the fortress. The next year there was an unsuccessful attempt to surprise it, and this year O’Conor Sligo occupied it upon his return from England.
Bingham managed to victual the castle across the Curlew mountains in 1595, but with the loss of many of his best soldiers, and in 1598 it was betrayed to the MacDonoughs by two men the constable trusted. The captors immediately put the fortress up to auction. There seems to have been sharp bidding between Sir Conyers Clifford and Red Hugh O’Donnell, but it was finally purchased by the latter for £400 and 300 cows.
O’Donnell remained in it until Christmas, and he continued to occupy it at different times until 1601, being six months in residence after his victory of the Yellow Ford. It was from here he set out for his disastrous march to Kinsale.
He left Owen O’Gallagher as Governor, who handed the keys to Roderick O’Donnell in 1602.
Two years after it was granted to Sir James Fullerton by James I., and when he left Ireland to be tutor to Duke Charles (afterwards Charles I.), the castle passed to Sir William Taaffe.
It was surrendered to Sir Charles Coote upon articles in 1652, which are still preserved.
The chief conditions were that the garrison was to march away with bag and baggage, and twenty days were to be allowed for the removal of goods, during which time Major-General Taaffe and his family might remain at the castle. After this he was to have a free pass to theContinent, and Lady Taaffe was to be allowed to live at Ballymote, on condition she did not use it against the State, and that the Parliamentary forces might garrison it at any time.
In 1689 the castle was held for King James by Captain M’Donough. A party under Captain Cooper was sent to reconnoitre the district, and pursued M’Donough’s men to the drawbridge of the fortress.
Two years later Lord Granard summoned the castle, but the governor, named O’Conor, refused to surrender. Thereupon he despatched Baldearg O’Donnell and a thousand men to lay siege to the place. They brought with them one 12-pounder and two small field-pieces, and as soon as O’Conor saw the guns he surrendered, upon condition the garrison might march out with their belongings and proceed to Sligo.
After this period the castle was dismantled, and the land subsequently passed to the Gore Booths. Of late there has been some talk of erecting a modern institution within the old walls.
Thename used by the early annalists to denote Ballyshannon, was Athseanaigh, which signified the “Ford of Seanach,” who was ancestor of the Princes of Tirconnell. “Bel” stands for mouth, and the modern designation is a corruption of the Celtic name meaning “the entrance to Seanach’s ford.”
The town is situated on both sides of the river Erne, about eleven miles south-south-west of the town of Donegal, to the extreme south of the county.
The castle was on the north bank of the river, and commanded the principal ford. For this reason its possession was of immense strategical importance, it being the key to the province of Tirconnell. Of the great fortress of the O’Donnells only a small portion of one of the walls remains. This is on the north side of the market yard, part of it being incorporated with a grain store and part with a butter shed. It is 10 feet high and 5 feet thick.
The fortress originally occupied the whole of the market square, and it is most likely that its stones were used in the erection of a cavalry barracks, which subsequently occupied the present market enclosure, but which has now been removed.
Round the castle stretched a beautiful park, the name being still preserved in some old leases. This extended almost to the summit of the hill on the north. Quantities of human bones have been found in the neighbourhood.
The castle was erected in 1423 by Niall, son of Turlough O’Donnell. In 1435 Naghtan O’Donnell gave it to Brian Oge O’Neill for promising him assistance against the O’Neill. Brian, however, went treacherously to his chief without O’Donnell’s knowledge, leaving his warders in the castle. O’Neill, not approving of such double dealing, took him and his two sons prisoners, cutting off a hand and a foot from each, under which treatment one of the sons died.
The fortress was taken from O’Donnell’s warders in 1496 by his son Hugh. His brother Con, with the assistance of Maguire, laid siege to the castle and dislodged him. O’Neill possessed himself of the stronghold in 1522, and slew the warders. It seems to have remained in his possession until Sir Henry Sidney came north in 1566 and had it delivered to him, as well as the castles of Donegal, Beleek, Bundrowes, and Castle Sligo. All these fortresses he placed in the hands of O’Donnell and his allies, who were at this time in high favour with England.
The next year Shane O’Neill liberated Con O’Donnell and his brother, who were at the time his prisoners, and the castles of Ballyshannon and Beleek were delivered to Con.
About this time the Government began to look with alarm on the growing power and popularity of the O’Donnells, and the State Papers of the period contain notes regarding the advisability of garrisoning Ballyshannon and the other fortresses of Tirconnell.
The regular military force under O’Donnell consisted of 1,500 foot and 300 horse, out of which the garrison of Ballyshannon numbered 200 foot soldiers and 40 mounted men.
In 1584, Lord Deputy Perrot recommended the erection of a castle and bridge at Ballyshannon, no doubt to counteract the power of the O’Donnells’ fortress, whichcould hold the main ford against all comers. Four years later the Lord Deputy dates a letter from Ballyshannon, and about this time young Hugh O’Donnell was kidnapped and imprisoned in Dublin Castle.
In 1592, Mr. Ralph Lane applied to Burghley, asking for the custodianship and fee-farm of the castle and lands of Ballyshannon, &c. The successful escape of Red Hugh, however, from Dublin Castle seems to have placed the possibility of the Government’s disposing of his ancestral home quite out of the question, and in 1592 the greatest of the O’Donnells received a most royal welcome from his father’s dependents in the north.
Arriving at Ballyshannon, where the O’Donnell warders still guarded the fortress, the whole country flocked to meet him and offer their congratulations on his escape.
The neighbourhood was in the most fearful state, being entirely overrun by freebooters, against whom even the English were powerless—the castles of Ballyshannon and Donegal alone remaining in the hands of the O’Donnells.
After a most successful campaign against the marauders, Hugh O’Donnell returned to Ballyshannon to undergo medical treatment for his feet, which had been fearfully injured by travelling from Dublin to Glenmalure in his house-shoes over the mountains and in bitter cold. He did not recover entirely until the end of the year, as both his great toes had to be amputated.
In 1594 Sir Ralph Lane, writing to Burghley, mentions that Hugh Roe O’Donnell would have broken down Ballyshannon but that his mother dissuaded him from it, assuring him that it might be defended with his own forces. Yet this very year it was evidently in the hands of the O’Donnells, and remained so until its capture in 1602.
The State Papers of this period are full of letters requesting money and forces sufficient to take it, alleging that the fortress was the “key of the province,” and nopeace could be hoped for in the north until it was garrisoned by English.
In the meantime the O’Donnells lived in royal state, and with lavish hospitality entertained the surrounding chiefs, while their flag floated from the battlements.
Sir George Carew observes of the Prince of Tirconnell: “O’Donnell is the best lorde of fishe in Ireland, and exchangeth fishe allwayes with foreign merchants for wyne, by which his call in other countryes is the kinge of fishe.”
It was during a great assemblage of chiefs at Ballyshannon to organise a raid on the English border, that the great Shane O’Neill became madly enamoured of O’Donnell’s lovely daughter, Helen. He went to her father and demanded her hand, but was informed that the lady was already betrothed to Maguire, the young chieftain of Fermanagh, who held his lands under suzerainty of O’Donnell. This young man had been educated at the Spanish court, and was all that a maiden could wish in a suitor.
One evening the lovers left the castle together, for a stroll by the river side, towards Belleek. Here, while Helen was singing to her harp, O’Neill, who had followed them, broke in upon their happiness. Maguire drew his sword to defend the lady, but he was no match for the great chief from whom he quickly received his death wound. O’Neill placed the fainting form of the fair Helen before him on his horse, and, with a few followers, rode to Dungannon Castle. Her father at once called his forces together, and followed to revenge the injury. The end of the story has several variations, but the most probable seems to be that O’Neill, finding the beautiful girl irreconcilable to the loss of her handsome lover, returned her to her father. The world had, however, lost its charm for her, and the rest of her short life was spent in seclusion.
In 1597 the first determined attack was made on Ballyshannon. Sir Conyers Clifford, Governor of Connaught, with four thousand men, foot and horse, marched on the stronghold, accompanied by Donough, the son of Connor, Murragh, Baron of Inchiquin, and other Irish nobles. O’Donnell having all the fords guarded, they were obliged to cross the river about half a mile west of Belleek. Here the Baron of Inchiquin was shot through his armour, while his horse was standing in the deep water below the ford, where he was encouraging the soldiers and saving them from drowning.
The ordnance was landed by water and planted against the castle. The siege lasted three days, but when the little garrison were thinking of surrendering, help arrived from Tyrone, and the English were driven off with great loss. The defenders of the castle numbered only eighty men, and were commanded by a Scotchman named Owen Crawford.
During Red Hugh’s absence in Spain in 1602 the English took the opportunity to again attack the fortress. The warders, seeing no hope of relief, fled, after the walls had been battered by a big gun, and Captain Digges took “that long desired place.”
Ballyshannon, with 1,000 acres, was reserved to the King in 1603, and five years later Sir Henry Folliot was appointed Governor. In this year the plot to seize the King’s castle of Ballyshannon was one of the charges in the indictment against the Earls of Tyrone and Tirconnell. In 1610 the castle, lands, and fishings were granted to Sir H. Folliot for twenty-one years. He was raised to the peerage under the title of Baron Folliot of Ballyshannon, 1619.
During the Jacobite troubles the castle was still used as a military headquarters, and the town was for a time in the hands of the Royalists.
The land on which the ancient fortress stood is nowpart of the Connolly estate, and was acquired by purchase from the Folliots.
Thiscastle is situated in the townland of the same name upon the shore of Ballyteigue Lough, in the County Wexford. The name signifies “O’Teige’s town.”
The old fortress forms part of a modern dwelling-house, and the keep has always been kept roofed and in good repair.
It was erected by Sir Walter de Whitty, one of the Norman settlers, the name being spelt variously—Whythay, Whythey, Wytteye, Whittey, Wythay, in old documents.
Sir Richard Whitty was summoned to Parliament as a baron by Edward III., and his son Richard held three carucates of land in Ballyteigue in 1335.
In 1408, as we learn from a MS. in the British Museum, the Castle of Ballyteigue was burnt by Art M’Murrough Kavanagh on Tuesday, the morning after the Feast of St. Barnabas.
Richard Whitty, of Ballyteigue, died in 1539, and his son Robert being only fourteen at his father’s death, the custody of Ballyteigue was granted to John Devereux during his minority. The estate contained 3 manors, 3 carucates, and 523 acres.
The manor and castle of Ballyteigue were in the possession of Richard Whittie in 1624 and 1634.
The estate was forfeited in the time of the Commonwealth, and was granted to Colonel Brett. It afterwards passed into the hands of the Sweenys, and subsequentlyto the Colcloughs, a branch of the family of Tintern Abbey.
In 1798 the castle was the residence of John Colclough, one of the leaders of the Wexford insurgents. He was only twenty-nine when the rebellion broke out.
As soon as Bagnal Harvey heard that Lord Kingsborough’s terms for the surrender of Wexford would not be ratified, he hastened to Ballyteigue, but Colclough and his wife and child had already fled to one of the Saltee Islands, about ten leagues from Wexford. He followed them, but the island was searched, and the fugitives taken in a cave. They were conveyed to Wexford, and Harvey and Colclough were immediately tried and hanged. Colclough’s head is buried in St. Patrick’s Cemetery, Wexford.
His little daughter and only child inherited Ballyteigue. She afterwards married Captain Young, and both lived in the castle until their death. Their only daughter sold the house to Mr. Edward Meadows, from whom it passed to Mr. Thomas Grant.
A legendary tale of “Sir Walter Whitty and his cat,” published some years ago by the late M. J. Whitty, editor of theLiverpool Post, may have originated from the lion which is represented in the Whitty arms.
Thiscastle is situated in the parish of Straffan, County Kildare, in the barony of North Salt, about a mile north of the village of Straffan.
The name is spelt variously Barberstowne, Barbeston, Barbieston, Barbiestowne, Barbiston, Barbitstowne, Barbyeston.
The present building consists of a battlemented rectangular keep considered by experts to be of thirteenth-century construction, and measuring at its greatest height 52 feet. It is divided into three floors. The lower room, which is vaulted to the height of 17 feet, is 18 feet long by 15½ feet wide, and the walls are 4½ feet in thickness.
The entrance is situated at the north-west angle, above which are two grooves of sufficient width to stand in, and evidently intended for the protection of the doorway.
The room above the vault is of slightly greater proportions than that below, owing to the walls being of less thickness.
Two small rectangular towers are joined to the main building on the south side’s western angle, and west side’s northern angle respectively. The latter contains a winding stone stair of fifty-three steps leading to the now slated roof. The original crenelated loops for musketry have here and there been enlarged to admit more light. The summit of the watch tower is reached from the roof by a short flight of nine steps.
A man is said to be interred between the top of the mainstair and the roof of the tower. His family having held the castle by a lease which expired when he was put underground, determined to evade relinquishing their hold on the property by keeping him always above the earth.
The southern tower consists of three storeys corresponding with those in the keep, and had formerly doors opening from the main rooms. Next the southern wall is a curious slit in each floor just wide enough to permit of a ladder giving access to the apartment above or below. The ground floor in this tower is of very small dimensions, being about 3 feet square.
The walls of the keep slope considerably at the outside base so as to prevent an enemy getting out of gun shot by closing up to the building. Large modern windows now light each floor, and the whole is in excellent preservation.
A flue runs in the thickness of the wall on the north side, which is crowned by a handsome brick chimney, evidently added when the Elizabethan dwelling-house which adjoins the castle was erected. A still more modern house has been added to the north of this building, so that at present three distinct periods are represented by the castle and houses, which are all joined together.
The remains of an old wall near the fortress points to its having once been of larger dimensions. Tradition states that an underground passage leads from the castle to a lodge near the roadway. Some fine old yews of great age adorn the lawn, similar to those which are to be seen near Maynooth Castle.
Locally it is believed that Barberstown was once the residence of the King of Leinster, but its architecture does not bear out the tradition.
In 1622 William Sutton, of Barberstown, is mentioned in an inquisition, and in 1630 it is stated that he held it as tenant of the Earl of Kildare.
Nicholas Sutton was in possession of the castle in 1641, and at a subsequent date it must have passed to theCrown, who granted it in 1666 to John King, first Lord Kingston.
His son Robert, the second Baron, was exempted from mercy by Tyrconnell’s proclamation, and his estate sequestered in 1689.
Richard, Earl of Tyrconnell, then became possessed of the fortress, and, strange to say, that although he could only have retained it until he was attainted in 1692, yet it was known for many years as Tyrconnell Castle. Lady Tyrconnell retained some of her husband’s lands in the neighbourhood to a much later date.
Bartholomew Vanhomrigh, Esq., of Dublin, father of the famous Vanessa, bought Barberstown from the Crown in 1703 for £1,300. James Young was the tenant at the time, and the property is thus described: “In the parish of Straffan, distant from Dublin ten miles, Naas 5, and Manooth 3; is Arable Medow and Pasture, on it 1 Castle in repair, with a large stone House adjoyning, and Orchard, also 8 Cabbins, with Gardens.”
At the beginning of the next century it was occupied by a family named Douglas, and it was purchased by the Bartons, of Straffan, in 1826. They restored and re-castellated it, and it still remains in their possession.
Subsequently it was occupied by Admiral Robinson, and the present tenant is S. F. Symes, Esq.
A most extensive view is obtained from the summit.
Thiscastle takes its name from the Barony of Bargy, County Wexford, on the borders of which it is situated, about eight miles south-west of the town of Wexford, on the margin of Lake Tucumshane.
The fortress is in excellent preservation, having been several times restored. It consists of a square keep, to which two wings have been added at more recent dates, probably in the fifteenth and seventeenth centuries.
The chief entrance to the Castle was formerly by the central tower, where a stained-glass window bearing the Harvey Arms is now to be seen. On the outside of the embrasure is a stone carved with figures supposed to represent Queen Elizabeth and her court, and far above this slab may be seen a large machicolation, once used for hurling missiles for the defence of the door. The tower is ascended by a winding stone stair, off which are openings commonly known as “murdering holes.” The keep, in which are several rooms, is separated from the rest of the mansion by a large door at the foot of the stairway. A beautiful view can be had from the battlements.
In the north wing of the castle is a small panelled room, and not far from it a carved oak partition bears with a cross and shamrock the following on the reverse side: “I.H.S. 1591. R.R. M.S.”
A beautiful oak staircase leads from the chief apartments.
The castle grounds were formerly entered from the south, where the old piers and gateway still remain. At the back of the castle is part of the old moat or fosse, which now contains large cellars.
The fortress is usually supposed to have been erected by the Rossiter family at the beginning of the fifteenth century, though some authorities state it owes its origin to Hervey de Montmorency, one of the first Norman invaders.
William Rowcester, of Bridge of Bargie (Bargie Castle), was pardoned for felony in 1540. He is described as a “horseman,” which, according to Hollinshead was a position next to that of captain or lord. About 1553 Nicholas Roche was granted the wardship and marriage of his son Richard.
The Most Rev. Michael Rossiter, Bishop of Ferns, is supposed by some to have been born in Bargy Castle, in 1648, but the Down Survey maps of 1657 describe the castle as being in ruins.
The last Rossiter to own Bargy was William Rossiter, who took part in the defence of Wexford against Cromwell. His lands were confiscated in 1667, and Bargy Castle was granted to William Ivory, Esq.
After this it passed to the Harvey family, and here Beauchamp Bagnal Harvey was born, who commanded the Wexford insurgents in 1798.
Bargy was confiscated to the Crown, after the suppression of the rebellion; and Bagnal Harvey, who owned the castle, and Colclough were captured on the Saltee Islands and executed at Wexford.
Troops were quartered at Bargy from 1798 to 1808, when the property was restored to James Harvey, brother of the late owner.
It is said that when a detachment of soldiers was sent to take possession of the fortress in 1798 they indulged so freely in the contents of the great wine cellars, that someof them injudiciously disturbed the hives in the garden, whereupon the bees attacked their tormentors with such force that some of the soldiers died from the effects, and others were pursued by the irate insects to the very town of Wexford.
Mr. Harvey lived in London, and the castle gradually fell into dilapidation until his death, when it passed to Councillor John Harvey, who restored it. Major Harvey, who died in 1880, is entombed in a mausoleum before the hall door. The castle was afterwards let to Mr. Leared, who re-roofed and improved it.
Ghostly tappings are reported to be heard on the castle windows between 10 and 11 p.m., while a phantom carriage is said to be sometimes audible driving up the disused avenue, when the horses’ hoofs cease before the old entrance in the keep, and a minute or two later the coach is again heard returning by the old drive.