Returning to the King’s Road, and proceeding from Beaufort Street, we arrive at “the Man in the Moon” tavern. There are many conjectures respecting the origin of the sign of this house, but nothing certain has been elucidated. As a celebrated neighbouring tavern was called the “World’s End,” perhaps the original proprietor thought he would give his house an equally singular sign.
We have already noticed the Clock House, Lord and Lady Cremorne’s Villa (now known as Cremorne Gardens), Ashburnham House, Stanley House, St. Mark’s College, &c.; but there are one or two others to which we will now briefly allude. The first of these is Messrs. Christie’s Flour Mills, established a great many years ago. The premises are situated at the western extremity of the parish, and close to the Chelsea Railway Station. Mr. Ormson, horticultural builder, resides at Dudmaston House, which is opposite the entrance to St. Mark’s College.
The King’s Road, at the commencement of this century, was by no means a place for general business. There were here and there, it is true, tradesmen who succeeded very well, but, generally speaking, the line of road was almost exclusively occupied by nurserymen and florists, and thus it became a fashionable resort for the nobility and gentry. The road, in most parts, was very narrow, and the different grounds were mostly enclosed by wooden palings. There was nothing like a good pathway for passengers, excepting at certain places. At night there were only a few gloomy oil-lamps, and the lives and property of the inhabitants were principally entrusted to a small number of private watchmen. When disturbances or robberies in the streets occurred in the daytime, the tradesmen-constables of the parish had the onerous and sometimes the dangerous duty to quell them, and take into custody the offenders or perpetrators. It need scarcely be added that when sent for, on such occasions, the constables were frequently—“Not at home!”
Let us now take a glance at the present state of the King’s Road, and a few more of the vast improvements which have been made in it. But, before doing so, we will give some particulars descriptive of a novel enterprise which is attracting a large share of public attention at the present time.
The Chelsea Steam Captive Balloon.—This monster aerial balloon ascends daily, weather permitting, from a part of the grounds known as the Ashburnham estate, a little beyond Cremorne Gardens. The balloon itself is 93 feet in diameter, and has a cubical capacity for gas of 421,161 ft. It is capable of taking up into the air no less than 30 passengers, and is attached to one strong rope, 2000 ft. long, which passes round a balance wheel, and thence to a large cylinder worked by an engine of 200 horse power. These appliances are all fitted in a kind of amphitheatre, from the centre of which the ascents take place. The supposed altitude to which the rope allows ascent is 2000 feet, but as a rule the height is generally less. The cost of the balloon alone is stated to be £24,000, and the value of the gas required (pure hydrogen) £600. It is composed of linen and India rubber, made of five thicknesses, and is the property of a French gentleman well known for his attachment to scientific experiments.
On the opposite side of the road, and adjoining St. Mark’s College, is Mr. Veitch’s Royal Exotic Nursery. These grounds for a great many years belonged to Mr. Knight, who possessed a most choice collection of Cape plants, &c., and who was patronized by nearly all the nobility and gentry in this country. Mr. Veitch has fully sustained the celebrity acquired by his predecessor.
A little further eastward is Mr. W. Bull’s Nursery, and on the opposite side is the Ashburnham Park Nursery, belonging to Mr. J. W. Wimsett. Both of them are distinguished cultivators of rare and valuable plants.
Near to Cremorne Gardens, on the opposite side of the road, is the extensive Show Establishment belonging to John Weeks and Co., Horticultural Builders and Hot-Water Apparatus Manufacturers, Engineers, and Iron Founders. The Horticultural Building and Engineering department is carried on near to Messrs. Downing’s Floor Cloth Manufactory, in the King’s Road.
Proceeding on, eastward, we arrive once more at Cook’s Grounds, which was, as previously stated, a private way originally to the stabling of Sir Joseph Alston’s House, in Cheyne Walk. The old house, for so many years occupied by Mr. Pamplin, the nurseryman, on the western entrance in the King’s Road, has recently been pulled down, and two commanding shops erected on the site, by Mr. Leete, the builder, of Little Cadogan Place. They contain thirteen rooms each, built with white bricks and compo-dressings, with enrichments and cornices. On the right-hand side of Cook’s Grounds, from the King’s Road, about 30 superior-looking private dwelling houses are now being built, each of which will contain eight rooms. These are also built with white bricks, and will have what is termed “cant” windows. The road opposite them is intended to be 50 ft. wide, and there will be a good pavement. When this great improvement is finally completed, and carried forward to Cheyne Walk, which no doubt is the intention, this new street will then scarcely be surpassed by Oakley Street. In Trafalgar Square, likewise, there are a number of very superior dwelling-houses now in course of erection, and, when the entire square is finished, there will be an excellent road from Cheyne Walk to the South Kensington Museum.
This building is situated on the south side of the King’s Road, and is nearly opposite Robert Street. The foundation stone was laid on the 12th of December, 1859. The arrangements for the accommodation of the public were under the superintendence of W. W. Pocock, Esq., the architect, and notwithstanding it was a very inclement day, there were at least a thousand persons present.
In a bottle were deposited a suitable inscription on vellum, a list of the parish officers for the year, one copy of each of the three Annual Reports of the Vestry, a copy of the “Metropolis Local Management Act,” with its Amendments, and of the “Nuisances Removal Act,” and one of each of the Coins of the present Reign. The band of the Royal Military Asylum attended, and played several popular airs, which added greatly to enliven the proceedings.
The following particulars are extracted from the “Morning Advertiser,” Tuesday, December 13th, 1859, and which were inserted in the Fourth Annual Report of the Vestry, 1860.
The foundation stone was laid by Viscount Chelsea in due form, in the presence of Robert Hanbury, Esq., and the Hon. G. Byng, the Members for Middlesex, W. Tite, Esq., M.P., the Rev. C. Kingsley, the Rector of the Parish, the Members of the Vestry, and a large number of the influential inhabitants of the parish.
The building is in the Italian style, with stone facings. The length is about 140 ft., and between 60 and 70 feet in breadth. The great hall is 64ft. in length, and 40 ft. wide, and accommodates upwards of 1000 persons. The board room is about 45 ft. by 30.
The time appointed for the ceremonial was two o’clock in the afternoon, and at half-past one o’clock the gentlemen invited to take part in the day’s proceedings assembled in the Vestry-Room of St. Luke’s Church, and proceeded from thence to the site of the proposed building, headed by the juvenile band of the Royal Military Asylum, playing national and other appropriate airs.The procession, on arriving at the spot, was received with loud cheers by a large number of the inhabitants who were admitted within the grounds.
Mr. Tite, M.P., opened the business of the day in an appropriate speech, in the course of which he alluded to the kind gift of the freehold site by Earl Cadogan, the money for the erection of the building having been voted by the Vestry. The new hall, he said, when built, would not only be useful as regarded parochial purposes, but it would be an ornament to that locality. He was not disposed to introduce politics into a matter so purely parochial, but he could not help saying that, in the event of Chelsea obtaining a right to send representatives to Parliament—to which it is fully entitled on account of the number, respectability, and intelligence of its inhabitants—they could meet in their new hall, and there canvass and consider the claims of the candidates who presented themselves for their suffrages.
Mr. Hanbury and Mr. Byng then severally addressed the numerous assemblage in suitable speeches.
Mr. Charles Lahee, the respected Vestry Clerk, then read the following document, which was afterwards deposited in the bottle previously referred to:—“This building, the foundation stone of which was laid by the Right Hon. Lord Viscount Chelsea, on the 12th day of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty nine, is intended for the transaction of the parochial and municipal business of Chelsea, which contains at the present time a population, by estimation, of seventy thousand persons. It is built by the Vestry constituted by an Act for the better Local Management of the Metropolis (18th & 19th Victoria, cap. 120) upon freehold land presented them by the Lord of the Manor, and his heirs, from the designs of Mr. Willmer Pocock, architect, by Thomas Piper and Sons, builders. Contract sum £5630. Lord of the Manor, George, 3rd Earl of Cadogan.” To which was attached the names of the Rector, Churchwardens, Vestrymen, &c., &c.
The Rev. Richard Burgess, of Trinity Church, Sloane Street, then offered an appropriate prayer, after which,
Mr. W. Rabbits, one of the vestrymen, presented a silver trowel to Viscount Chelsea, to be used in laying the first stone, and to be kept by his lordship as a token of the respect of the parishioners for him.
Viscount Chelsea having expressed his acknowledgments for the compliment paid him,
Mr. Pocock, the architect, then placed the bottle containing the documents, &c., in the cavity of the under stone, which was covered with mortar. The other portion of the stone was then let down, and Viscount Chelsea having gone through the usual “masonic” operations in a workmanlike manner, his lordship declared the Vestry Hall to be in due course of erection amidst the loud cheers of all present.
The erection of the entire building was completed in 1860, and, occupying such a central position, it adds materially to the respectability of the King’s Road. It is an attractive structure, and its architectural design reflects great credit on Mr. Pocock. The estimate laid before the Vestry Finance Committee on the 21st of February, 1861, by Mr. Charles Lahee, the Vestry Clerk, of the total probable cost of the Vestry Hall buildings, including the fittings and furniture, was altogether £12,059 16s. 2d.
A portion of the building is occupied by the Chelsea Literary and Scientific Institution, for the use of which a rental is paid. T. L. Bull, Esq., was the original founder, and to his indefatigable efforts, for a considerable time, may be attributed the advantages that have been derived from it. It appears, however, that the receipts of this useful and admirable institution are unfortunately just now insufficient to meet the necessary expenditure, but it is gratifying to record that at a late influential meeting, held at the Vestry Hall, to consider the “present position and future prospects of the Institution,” and at which Lord George Hamilton, M.P., presided, it was unanimously resolved to extricate it from temporary difficulties.
Mr. Charles Lahee, who has been Vestry Clerk for many years, has a private dwelling-house at the Vestry Hall. The offices are on the ground floor, and the large hall is at the rear of the building. The spacious room above the offices, and which fronts the road, is where the vestrymen weekly assemble, adjoining it are committee rooms, &c. The whole interior is well-arranged and admirably adapted for the requirements of the parish, which has now become one of the most populous and important in the metropolis.
In Flood Street, near to the King’s Road, is a small Chapel belonging to the Primitive Methodists.
Methodist New Connexion Chapel.—This Chapel, which is situated in Radnor Street, King’s Road, was originally attached to the Commercial Tavern. After some time had elapsed it was converted into a place for Divine Worship, having undergone material alterations and made a distinct building. The Rev. Clifford Hooper was the Pastor, and the Congregation rapidly increasing they ultimately erected the Congregational Church in Markham Square. When that structure was completed, Radnor Street Chapel was purchased by the Methodist New Connexion Society, and to that body of the Christian church it still belongs. There is a very excellent Sabbath School, and the members and friends have expended, at different times, considerable sums in making it both commodious and comfortable.
The Savings’ Bank is situated on the north side of the King’s Road. It was established in the year 1819. The benefits derived by the labouring classes, and others of limited means, by the establishment of such banks, are now so well known and appreciated that it would be needless to enumerate them. The Chelsea Savings’ Bank is one of the most secure and best conducted in London.
The foundation stone of this Chapel was laid on Tuesday, October 5th, 1858, and the building was opened for public worship on April 3rd, 1860, the Honourable and Rev. Baptist Noel, M.A., preaching at noon, and the Rev. Newman Hall, LL.B., in the evening. The Rev. Clifford Hooper was the first Pastor. He resigned the pastorate on account of failing health on the 3rd of June, 1863, and died on March 6th, 1864. The Rev. R. Brindley, of Bath, then accepted the pastorate, commencing his ministry on November 22nd, 1863, and on October 19th, 1865, was suddenly and unexpectedly called to his rest, in the very prime of life and in the midst of his labours. The Rev. Andrew Mearns, of Great Marlow, was then invitedto become Pastor, and commenced his ministry, at Chelsea, on September 16th, 1866, where his pulpit ministrations and pastoral labours have been greatly blessed.
The Chapel stands in a very prominent position, covering a large piece of ground at the north end of Markham Square, forming a very conspicuous and beautiful object from the King’s Road.
The form of the building is slightly cruciform, having transepts projecting about five feet from the body of the Chapel. The prominent feature of the exterior is a tower and spire, rising from the west side of the southern transept to the height of 138 feet.
The proportions are well-conceived, and the effect good. The dimensions in the clear, are, length 85 ft. 2 in.; length, including apse, 93 ft. 6 in.; width 41 ft. 3 in.; width across transept 51 ft. 3 in.; height from floor of chapel to ridge of open roof, 49 ft.; height from floor to roof, on the wall line, 22 ft.; and the height of school rooms 13 ft.
The style of the building is in the second period of the Gothic. The exterior is entirely of stone; the interior, will accommodate on the ground and gallery floors, 1,150 adults, besides an additional gallery in the apse for the organ and choir.
The ground floor is raised about four feet above the footway, and beneath are lofty and spacious schoolrooms for about 850 children, with requisite offices. The building was erected from a design by John Tarring, Esq., of Bucklersbury, and Messrs. Myers, of Lambeth, were the contractors who undertook the erection.
The Sabbath School is well attended, and the labours of the teachers and superintendent very successful. Above 380 children are registered as scholars, and, on Feb. 28, the actual attendance was 256 in the morning and 356 in the afternoon, taught by 33 teachers.
The various institutions and agencies connected with this Church are likewise flourishing under the oversight of the Pastor, who, we trust, may be long spared to a beloved and loving people.
The old house now attached to these extensive premises was for many years a boarding school, conducted by the Misses Babington. Previous to that period it had no doubt been a scholastic establishment for young ladies, as I find that a discourse was delivered here, about 1772, by the Rev. John Jenkins, A.M., on Female Education and Christian Fortitude under Affliction.
In the year 1842 the house and grounds were taken on a long lease by the National Society, and in 1850 a public meeting was held in London to raise funds for the erection of the present buildings.
The Institution provides for the education, maintenance, and training of more than 100 young women, between the ages of 18 and 25, who purpose to become teachers of National Schools; and, secondly, for the daily instruction of children of the neighbourhood, in four schools.
In one of these schools the charge of 10s. per quarter is made. It is attended by children whose parents would not wish to send them to the National Schools.
The vast improvements which are everywhere conspicuous throughout the length of the King’s Road, as regards that portion of it which is within the boundaries of Chelsea, are far more numerous than in any other road in the metropolis. At the eastern and western extremities of the parish, there are Railway Stations, then there are the steamboats, besides these there are the omnibuses traversing the road every quarter of an hour. What a contrast does the King’s Road now present when compared with what it was at the commencement of this century!
I now return to the bank of the Thames, passing through Flood Street, proceeding eastward along Queen’s Road West, (formerly called Paradise Row,) the residence of many of the Nobility and Gentry in the “Olden Times.”
In the year 1664, Mr. James Hamilton, probably by order of the Lord of the Manor, made a survey of this parish. It was further continued, till the year 1715, by the Rev. Dr. King, the rector, to whose labours this work is much indebted.
From Hamilton’s survey, it appears that the Earl of Radnor resided in Paradise Row,[177]adjoining Robinson’s Lane. He entertained his Majesty King Charles II. most sumptuously on the 4th of September, 1660, at this house. When the above survey was taken, his relict, Lady Radnor, was in possession of the premises. There are in the Parish Register several entries of baptisms and deaths of this family. Lord Radnor died at this house July 17, 1685, and Lady Radnor, his second wife, who survived him, resided at Chelsea till her death in 1714. His son, Francis, by his second wife, who was a gentleman of general learning and good abilities, was buried at Chelsea.
At the north end of George Place, Queen’s Road West, formerly stood an old white house, called “Queen Elizabeth’s Larder,” which was pulled down to erect the present houses.
On the south side of Queen’s Road West, near to the river, is situated the garden belonging to the Company of Apothecaries. The earliest record that we possess of a Botanical Garden in England, was that of the celebrated John Gerarde, the father of English botany. The next in order of time was that of the elder Tradescant, who, about 1630, established a garden for the cultivation of exotic plants at South Lambeth; this collection was presented, in 1667, to the University of Oxford. The next garden in succession is this at Chelsea.
Of these premises, containing three acres, one rood, the first lease was taken by the Company in the year 1673, for the termof 61 years, at a ground rent of £5 per annum. Mr. Evelyn thus mentions a visit he paid it:—“1685, August 7th, I went to see Mr. Watts, keeper of the Apothecaries’ garden of simples at Chelsea, where there is a collection of innumerable rarities of that sort particularly; besides many rare annuals, the true-bearing Jesuits’ Bark, which had done such wonders in quartan agues. What was very ingenious was the subterranean heat, conveyed by a stove under the conservatory, all vaulted with bricks, so as he has the doors and windows open in the hardest frosts, secluding all the snow.” Mr. Watts was succeeded by Mr. Doody, who enjoyed considerable eminence as a botanist, and he continued to superintend it till 1717, when the celebrated Petiver was appointed, who had officiated as demonstrator of plants since 1709. He accumulated so large a collection of natural history, that, some time before his death, Sir Hans Sloane is said to have offered him £4000 for it. After his death, Sir Hans Sloane purchased it, and it went eventually to the British Museum.
Sir Hans Sloane granted the freehold of these premises, in 1722, upon conditions that the Company should pay a quit rent of £5 per annum for ever, and employ the same as a Physic Garden; that the Company should deliver to the Royal Society fifty specimens, the growth of the garden, till the number should amount to three thousand.
It was here that Sir Hans Sloane first studied his favourite science; and he continued a friend to this establishment, continually enriching it with scarce and curious plants, besides contributing largely towards the building, &c. As a tribute of gratitude the Company of Apothecaries employed the celebrated Rysbrach on a marble statue of their benefactor, which stands in the middle of the garden. He is represented in a Doctor’s gown, with a full-bottomed peruke, and a roll in his right hand. It displays much dignity, and conveys a most pleasing impression of the learned person whom it represents. On the north side of the pedestal is the following inscription:—“In honour and perpetuation of the memory of Sir Hans Sloane, Bart., an eminent physician, and great encourager of the science of botany, this statue was erected by the Company of Apothecaries of London, 1733.” On the west side, “They being sensible how necessary that branch of science is to the faithful discharging the duty of their profession, with grateful hearts and general consent, ordered this statue to be erected in the year of our Lord 1733, that their successors and posterity may never forget their commonbenefactor. Placed here in the year 1737.” There is another inscription, similar in purport, on the south side of the pedestal.
The garden is laid out in divisions, in which the plants, shrubs, and trees, are arranged systematically. On the south side of the garden, facing the Thames, formerly stood two large cedars of Lebanon. Lysons says, that Sir Joseph Banks made an accurate admeasurement of these trees, in 1793, and found the girth of the larger to be twelve feet eleven inches and a half, that of the smaller twelve feet and half an inch. Upon being measured again, in 1809, they had increased twelve inches in girth since 1793. There is now only one of these trees.
Mr. Philip Miller resided many years in the house at the garden, and rendered himself particularly distinguished by his botanical works. He succeeded to the office of curator of this establishment in 1722, and resigned a little before his decease, which took place in 1771. He was buried in Chelsea churchyard, where a monument has been since erected to his memory by the Fellows of the Linnean and Horticultural Societies of London. He was succeeded in the management of the garden by his pupil, Mr. Forsyth, who, in 1784, was appointed chief superintendent of the Royal Gardens at Kensington, which he held till his death in 1804. Mr. Anderson was subsequently curator, and Mr. Wheeler demonstrator.
Having thus endeavoured to give a brief sketch of the rise and progress of this establishment, it only remains to mention a few particulars in reference to its present condition.
Within the last twenty-five years the garden has been in a great measure remodelled, and in consequence has become better adapted to the purpose for which it is maintained, namely, the instruction of medical students. Several of the old hot-houses and greenhouses have been removed, and new ones erected in their place; new arrangements of medicinal plants have been formed; and groups representing the natural orders of plants have been brought together to facilitate their study. Formerly two cedars of Lebanon, some of the first planted in England, were conspicuous objects from the river, but in 1853 one of these, which had become much decayed, was blown down, the other still remains, but is gradually decaying, being not only injuriously affected by the smoke of London, but like all the other large trees in the garden, more or less damaged bythe deprivation of water caused by the construction of the deep sewer in the Queen’s Road. A fine specimen of a rare tree, the Salisburia adiantifolia, the Ginkgo of Japan, with leaves resembling those of the Maidenhair Fern in form, may be seen towering above the wall in the Queen’s Road. The alterations in this garden were commenced in 1846 by Mr. Robt. Fortune, the Chinese traveller, who was succeeded, in 1848, by Mr. Thomas Moore, the present Curator.
Near to the Botanic Garden, in front of the river, stood a capital mansion, erected in the reign of Queen Anne, which was for many years inhabited by Mrs. Banks, the mother of Sir Joseph Banks.
This Church was consecrated on the 26th of June, 1839. It stands on a piece of ground for many years previously a market garden, and is situated in Paradise Street, Queen’s Road West. The exterior is particularly plain, and would admit of great improvements were there funds available for such a purpose. The interior will probably seat about 1000 persons. On the opposite side of the street there are neatly-designed schoolrooms, in which the children belonging to the National, Infant, and Sunday Schools assemble for instruction. Each of these schools is very well attended. The residents in a great portion of the immediate locality are poor, and consequently the most strenuous efforts are necessary to raise sufficient funds to meet the expenditure.
The Rev. W. H. Howard, M.A., was the first Incumbent of the Church, and was much esteemed. He was a kind-hearted clergyman, and made every effort in his power to promote the spiritual and temporal welfare of the numerous poor in his district. He resigned in 1845.
The Rev. W. W. Robinson, M.A., was, as is well known, most zealous in his exertions to accomplish the same great object. He was likewise a most strenuous supporter and advocate of Total Abstinence Societies from all intoxicating liquors.
The Rev. G. S. Whitlock, M.A., succeeded Mr. Robinson. He displays an untiring zeal in the discharge of his sacred duties, and there are gratifying testimonies to prove that his ministerial labours have been blessed. Under his energetic administration of affairs a large amount of voluntary subscriptions have been collected, and many important improvements in the interior of the Church have been effected, and should he be spared to the District, no doubt the exterior will soon likewise have a more imposing appearance.
Gough Housewas erected at the commencement of the last century by John, third Earl of Carberry. He died in his coach, as he was returning from London to this house in 1713, and was interred in Westminster Abbey. After his death the house and premises were in possession of the Gough family, several of whom resided here. Sir Richard Gough was a merchant in London; he died in 1727. Sir Henry Gough took the name of Calthorpe, in compliance with the will of his uncle, Sir Henry Calthorpe, K.B., and was created a peer, in 1796, by the title of Baron Calthorpe.
The house was at length occupied by Mrs. Pemberton, who conducted an establishment for the education of young ladies for many years. The Rev. Richard Wilson, D.D., subsequently resided in it for a considerable period. At the present time the approach to this old mansion presents a melancholy contrast to what it was in former days.
Gough House is now the Victoria Hospital for Sick Children, established in 1866. The frontage is otherwise occupied, and consequently the originally attractive appearance is entirely destroyed. The youthful patients come from all parts of the metropolis, and several from the country. The objects of the institution are as follow:—
1. The treatment, as in-patients, of children between the ages of two and twelve years.
2. The treatment, as out-patients, of children under sixteen years of age.
3. The training of nurses for children.
The Rev. A. G. W. Blunt, M.A., Rector of Chelsea, takes a deep interest in promoting this much-needed and admirableinstitution. The committee are now earnestly making an appeal for contributions to create a Building Fund, and when it is known that there is not in all the metropolis a single hospitalBUILTfor the special reception of children, it is to be hoped that such a noble charity will receive the liberal assistance of all benevolent persons.
Edward Montague, first Earl of Sandwich, resided in this neighbourhood in 1663. Mr. Pepys, in his Diary, has recorded a visit he paid to that nobleman. “March 28, 1663. To Chelsea, where we found my lord all alone, with one joint of meat at dinner, and mightily extolling the manner of his retirement, and the goodness of his diet; the mistress of the house hath all things most excellently dressed; amongst other things her cakes admirable, and so good, that my lord’s words were, they were fit to present to Lady Castlemaine . . . ”
Archbishop Sharpe resided here about 1691; he preached the sermon at the coronation of Queen Anne. Mackay says, “He is one of the greatest ornaments of the Church of England, of great piety and learning, a black man, and 55 years old.”
Charles, Duke of St. Albans, natural son of Charles II. by Eleanor Gwynn, had a house here about 1692.
Fitton Gerrard, the last Earl of Macclesfield of that family, died at his house in Chelsea, in 1702. A law-suit was commenced about the right of succession to his property, between Lord Mohun and the Duke of Hamilton, who had married his niece. A duel was fought between the competitors in Hyde Park, which proved fatal to both parties. The Duchess lived in Chelsea till 1714.
Henry, Duke of Kent, had a house in Queen’s Road West, about 1715. On his Grace’s death, in 1740, the Dukedom of Kent became extinct.
The beautiful Duchess of Mazarin resided in Queen’s Road West, and died there in 1699, aged 52. Her dramatic routs and musical entertainments were celebrated for their magnificence. The singers were from the theatres, and the instrumental performers the most eminent masters of the time. It is said that the design of introducing the Italian Opera intoEngland was first concerted in this assembly. Lysons was told that it was usual for the nobility and others who dined at her house to leave money under their plates to pay for their entertainment. She appears to have been in arrears for the parish rates during the whole time of her residence at Chelsea.
Mrs. Mary Astell resided here the greater part of her life, which was spent in writing for the advancement of learning, religion, and virtue. “The good Christian,” she would say, “only hath reason to be cheerful in this world.” She died at her house in 1731, in her 63rd year, beloved by all who knew her, and greatly esteemed by the inhabitants.
Dr. Richard Mead, it appears by the parish books, resided here about 1714; he was an eminent physician. Matthew Mead, his father, was a celebrated Nonconformist divine. Dr. Mead had a house also in Great Ormond Street, which became a repository for all that was curious in nature and art. He built a gallery for his pictures and antiquities, which, when sold, produced as follows:—
57
days’ sale of books
£5,518
10
11
3
ditto pictures
3,417
11
0
14
ditto prints and drawings
1,908
14
6
8
ditto coins and medals
1,977
17
0
5
ditto antiquities
3,246
15
6
The world was deprived of this distinguished physician in 1754. To the poor he gave money as well as advice.
Sir Francis Windham had a house in Queen’s Road West, about 1700. He entertained Charles II. at Trent, after the battle of Worcester, where the king remained concealed for several days.
The Rev. James Miller was born in 1703. He wrote the oratorio of “Joseph and his Brethren,” and translated and adapted to the English stage, the “Mahomet” of Voltaire, which met with great applause; but on the third night of its representation, being for his own benefit, he died suddenly at his house at Chelsea, in 1743.
Dr. Alexander Blackwell, a physician, resided in a house near the Botanic Garden; he became involved in his circumstances,and was taken to prison for debt. Mrs. Blackwell possessed by nature a fine genius for drawing and painting, and being told that a Herbal was wanted, she drew from the life several of the physical plants. These were shewn to several eminent men, who being pleased with the undertaking she proceeded with the work, and at length procured her husband’s liberty. She not only made the drawings, but engraved them on copper plates, and coloured them. This celebrated work was completed in 1739. Mr. Rand, who had the care of the Botanic Garden, rendered her every assistance in his power. Unfortunately Dr. Blackwell left Chelsea and went to Sweden, where he was appointed physician to the king. Sometime afterwards, however, he was found guilty of high treason “in plotting to overturn the constitution of the kingdom, and sentenced to be broken alive on the wheel.”[184]It is further said that “he prayed with great devotion; but, having laid his head wrong, he remarked jocosely that, being his first experiment, no wonder he should want a little instruction.” Such jocularity, at such an awful moment, does not accord with earnest prayer.
The Rev. Thomas Stackhouse, a learned and pious divine, resided in Queen’s Road West, about the year 1750; he was the author of “The History of the Bible,” &c.
Mr. John Collett, the painter, resided here for a long period. The favourite subjects of his pencil were pieces of humour, somewhat in imitation of Hogarth. Collett died here in 1780.
Mr. John Giles Eccardt had a house here for some years, and died in 1779; he was a painter of some eminence. The portrait of Gay, the poet, in Lord Orford’s works, now almost extant, is from a painting by Eccardt.
Mr. W. Hamilton, a pleasing artist, resided also here for several years; his most capital work was “The Queen of Sheba entertained at a banquet by Solomon.”
Mr. Samuel Cotes lived in Queen’s Road West, where he died in 1818. He painted miniatures both in enamel and water colours, and was in great practice.
Mary, Duchess of Ormond, resided in a large house, near Chelsea Hospital, in 1730. She was a daughter of the Duke of Beaufort, and the second wife of James, Duke of Ormond. This house was for many years afterwards occupied as a school. It enjoyed a distinguished reputation for maritime education. The novelty of having a ship built on the play-ground, completely rigged, with sails bent, and of capacity sufficient to admit of twenty-four of the young gentlemen going aloft at one time, attracted general notice. This ship moved round on swivels, which enabled her to represent the evolutions of wearing or tacking. She was under the care of an old naval lieutenant, and was named “The Cumberland.”
Sir Robert Walpole had a house and garden “next the College.” He built here an octagon summer-house and a large greenhouse, the latter filled with fine exotics by Lady Walpole; he had also a curious grotto. Nell Gwynn is said to have lived in this house when it was Crown property. It was taken down about 1808. On the site of this house is now a spacious infirmary for the sick and aged pensioners of Chelsea Hospital.
School of Discipline.—This is the oldest Reformatory for young girls in London. It was opened by Mrs. Elizabeth Fry, who, with some Christian friends, brought six other children from Newgate to a small house at Chelsea, in 1825. Since that time a larger house has been taken in Queen’s Road West, near to Chelsea Hospital, and the number of children increased. They are daily instructed in the love and fear of God, carefully trained in all useful branches of household work, needlework, and the usual subjects of elementary secular education. The number of children now boarded, clothed, and educated in the school is 42. It is a “Certified Industrial School,” for the purpose of receiving, by magistrates warrants, girls who are either found begging, homeless, or frequent the company of thieves, &c. Twenty-one of such, in 1869, were under detention. They are paid for by the Home Office, the parents, where possible, contributing to their maintenance. The others are such as need restraint and discipline, and the parents are required to pay sums varying from 6d. to 5s., according to their means. It is conducted by a Ladies’ Committee, Mrs. Cromwell, the lady of the Principal of St. Mark’s College, kindly discharging the duties of honorary secretary.
Mr. Thomas Faulkner, to whom this work is so greatly indebted, lived at the corner house, opposite the grounds ofChelsea Hospital. He was one of the principal booksellers in the parish, and possessed great literary attainments. As a local historian none have excelled him, and in private life no parishioner was more respected. He was interred in the Brompton Cemetery, where there is the following inscription to his memory:—“Thomas Faulkner, the historian of Chelsea, and an inhabitant of that parish 60 years. Born 1777, died 1855. Lector si monumentum requiris libros ejus diligenter evolve.”
Mr. Richard Suett, who acquired considerable repute as a low comedian, died at his lodgings here in 1805, aged 47. He made his first appearance at Drury Lane in the character of Ralph, in the Maid of the Mill. He was buried on the north side of St. Paul’s Cathedral, where he had been educated as one of the choir; his disposition was amiable, and the needy always shared his mite.