March 28th. Count Guttorp sailed from Yarmouth on his return to the Continent.
Vice-Admiral Murray appointed to the Naval command of Yarmouth. In 1815 Admiral Drake was appointed Port-Admiral of Yarmouth, the last who held the appointment.
Census taken. Population of Yarmouth, 17,977; with Gorleston and Southtown, 19,691.
The Royal Hospital or Asylum built by Government at a cost of £120,000. Foundation-stone laid by Admiral Billy Douglas in 1809. (See 1815.) The building was erected by Mr. Peto (father of Sir S. Morton Peto), from designs by H. Parkington, Esq., for a naval Hospital. The 11 acres of ground to the east cost the Government £11,000 in 1875.
March 13th. The South Gate sold for £26 to Jonathan Poppy.
July 27th. General Viscount Cathcart’s embassy to the Court of Russia left the Roadstead in the frigate “Aquilon.” Lord Walpole, secretary of Legation to Lord Cathcart, sailed in the “Calipso” to the headquarters of the Russian army.
Oct. 6th. Edmund Knowles Lacon and William Loftus, Esqs., returned to Parliament. Votes—Lacon, 607; Loftus, 387; G. Wilson, 329.
Oct. 26th. Tremendous gale, and eight vessels driven ashore in the vicinity.
A. Royals died, aged 103.
Feb. A high wind blew down and completely demolished the Conventual Church at Gorleston, dedicated to St. Nicholas.
Feb. 18th. Gorleston steeple (about 100 ft. high), which stood near the Haven’s mouth as an immemorial sea-mark, was blown down in a gale.
March 24th. Volunteer Corps of Infantry disbanded, and deposited their arms in store on the establishment of the local Militia.
April 15th. Prince of Orange landed at the Jetty.
April 29th. H.R.H. the Duke of Cumberland arrived at Yarmouth, and embarked on board the frigate “Nymphen” for the Continent.
July 4th. News of Wellington’s victory over the French at Vittoria in Spain received here with great rejoicings.
Aug. 10th. First steam barge proceeded from Yarmouth to Norwich at the rate of five miles per hour.
Sept. 29th. Regent Street formed and opened at a cost of £30,000. Before the opening of this street there was no roadway between King Street and the Quay, except Fuller’s Hill and Friar’s Lane, the latter of which was widened in 1866.
Nov. 14th. Great rejoicing at Yarmouth on the splendid victories gained over the French in Spain and Germany.
The Lancasterian or British School erected; enlarged in 1861.
William III. landed at the Jetty.
North Mayo Militia left the town, and the Wexford Militia the following year.
Sept. 3rd. John Hannah (70) tried at the Yarmouth Sessions for the murder of Elizabeth, his wife, he being the last man executed in the town for murder. A bill issued, with the imprint of Clark, Broad Row, Yarmouth, read as follows: “Monday Morning, Sept. 6th, at about 11 o’clock. Everything being ready, the prisoner, attended by the gaoler and a number of constables, with a great concourse of spectators, moved from the Gaol at 11.15. They went at a slow pace, and at the entrance of Regent Street were joined by the Mayor and other Borough Officers. It was past 12 o’clock when the prisoner arrived at the place of execution; on his way thither he was perfectly composed, turning from one side to the other, viewing the populace. After ascending the scaffold, he spent some time in prayer, and when the hangman had placed the rope round his neck, he was asked if he had anything farther to say. He then confessed as follows: ‘That he was the murderer of his wife by strangling her with his hands, and not with a rope, as had been stated; he said they had lived a very uncomfortable life for many years past, owing to his wife giving her company to other men, which was the cause of his committing the murder.’ The instant before being turned off, he particularly requested to see his daughter, when he was informed it was not possible, as she was confined in Bedlam; he also desired the gaoler to look under the step of the cell, and he would there find four shillings and sixpence. A signal was then given, and the unhappy man was immediately launched into eternity. The body, after hanging the usual time, was delivered to the surgeons for dissection. The gaoler, on his return, found the money as described in the cell.”
July 6th. Peace proclaimed at Yarmouth; Mayor and Corporation went in procession, and at night the town was illuminated.
The Duke of Clarence (afterwards King William IV.), accompanied by his Duchess (Queen Adelaide), landed at Yarmouth, and stayed one night at the “Angel Hotel.”
March 11th. Henry Joddrell, Esq., Bayfield Hall, many years Recorder and Representative of Yarmouth, Chairman of the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, died in London.
April 21st. Restoration of Louis XVIII. to the throne of France. The inhabitants of Yarmouth subscribed £1,106 8s. 6d., for providing a grand dinner to all the inhabitants who chose to partake of it. Fifty-eight tables were spread in the open air along the Hall and South Quays, at which 8,028 persons were seated, and made an excellent dinner of roast beef and plum-pudding. A man personating Neptune in a car attended by Tritons and other deities paraded the town, headed by a band of music. In the evening a large bonfire was made on the North Denes, in which the effigy of Napoleon was consumed amidst much rejoicing, and in the presence of nearly 30,000 persons.
July 14th. First division of West Norfolk Militia landed at Yarmouth from Edinburgh, and marched to Norwich, and joined their Colonel, the Earl of Orford.
Aug. 11th. The Hon. John Wodehouse proposed, and T. W. Coke, Esq., seconded, resolutions recommending that a subscription should be opened for erecting a monument at Yarmouth to the memory of the late Lord Nelson. Lord and Lady Wodehouse, the Hon. Colonel Wodehouse, and Mr. and Miss Coke headed the list with £700. The Corporation of Norwich subscribed £200. (See Aug. 15th, 1817.)
Jan. 24th. A sea-eagle shot at Rollesby, which measured from tip to tip of its wings 7 ft. 6 in.
May 10th. Sharp press for seamen at Yarmouth.
John Thomas Townshend, Viscount Sydney, High Steward of the Borough. He died in 1831.
Six hundred wounded men from Waterloo lodged in the Naval Hospital. (See 1811.)
March 29th. The Nelson Monument Committee at Thetford, after inspecting 44 beautiful plans and designs, selected an Athenian Doric Column, sent by William Wilkins, Esq., architect, of London, a native of Norwich, and author of “Magna Græcia.” Nearly £7,000 was subscribed.
Feb. 16th. Very high tide, the sea and river meeting over the South Denes. A similar event had not occurred since Feb. 3rd, 1791.
Feb. 19th. Corporation petitioned Parliament for a continuance of the Property Tax.
Feb. 26th. Mr. Incledon, Master Taylor, and Mr. Collyer appeared at the Theatre Royal, inThe Minstrel;or,a Tour Through England and Ireland. Prices—4s., 3s., 2s. 6d., and 1s.
Nov. 2nd. Thomas Penrice, Esq., of Yarmouth, to whom the late Lord Chedworth, of Ipswich, left the bulk of his immense property, died at Narford Hall, the seat of A. Fountaine, Esq., his son-in-law. (See Oct. 28th, 1804.)
Jan. 1st. £1,000 subscribed at Yarmouth to relieve and employ the labouring poor; 460 men were employed to form roads to the Bath House, Jetty, &c.
Feb. 4th. The Corporation voted a loyal address to the Prince Regent, expressive of their abhorrence of the attack made upon his Royal person on his return from opening Parliament on the 28th ult. Presented at the levée by Isaac Preston, Esq. (Mayor), accompanied by the High Steward and the Members for the Borough.
Feb. 13th. The new silver coinage of crowns, half-crowns, shillings, and sixpences exchanged for the old at the Town Hall.
Between 7,000 and 8,000 lasts of Herrings taken by 193 boats.
An Act passed to continue two former Acts for widening and amending the road from Yarmouth Bridge to Gorleston.
April 4th, Good Friday morning. Explosion on board the Norwich and Yarmouth steamer—ten persons killed and five injured—just as she was leaving the Foundry Bridge, Norwich. She had 22 men, women, and children on board. £350 raised for relief. These steamboats were first employed on Aug. 10th, 1813.
June 5th. The celebrated Mr. Betty performed at the Theatre in theIron Chest, as “Sir Edward Mortimer;” and as “Frislam Fickle,” inThe Weather Cock.
June 11th. Mr. Matthews appeared at the Theatre as “Goldfinch,” in theRoad to Ruin; and as “Somno,” in theSleep Walker. On 12th, as “Sir David Dundee,” inWays and Means, “Chip,” inA Chip of the Old Block, and “Buskin,” inKilling no Murder. On the 16th, as “Rover,” inWild Oats; and in theAdventures of a Mail Coach.
June 23rd. Munden appeared at the Theatre as “Sir Abel Handy,” inSpeed the Plough, and as “Crack,” in theTurnpike Gate. On the 25th, as “Old Rapid,” in aCure for the Heartache, and as “Dozey,” inPast Ten o’clock. On the 26th, as “Sir Anthony Absolute,” in theRivals, and as “Sam Dabbs,” inWho’s Who?On the 28th, as “Bonus,” inLaugh When You Can, as “Nipperkin,” in theRival Soldier, and “Lazarillo,” inTwo Strings to Your Bow.
Aug. 15th. First stone of Nelson Monument laid by Col. Wodehouse. The column is 144 ft. high, ascended by a flight of 217 steps. The architect was Mr. Wm. Wilkin, R.A., a Norfolk man. There was a grand civic, military, and masonic procession from the Town Hall. After the ceremony, the Mayor, (Isaac Preston, Esq.) gave a dinner to the company; and in the evening he gave a grand ball to 350 of theélite, at the Town Hall.
The Rev. Fisher Watson, M.A., elected minister of St. George’s Chapel, on the death of the Rev. S. L. Cooper in June. On Aug. 9th, 1821, the Rev. John Homfray, and April 16th, 1833, the Rev. Mark Waters, were appointed at salaries of £100 per annum.
Aug. 20th. The great Edward Kean appeared at Theatre Royal inRichard the Third, when nothing but full prices were taken—Lower Boxes, 5s.; Green, 4s.; Pit, 3s.; Gallery, 1s.—and part of the Pit taken into the Boxes, and part of the Gallery railed off for the use of the Pit. Free list suspended during the engagement. On the 21st, Mr. Kean took the character of “Sir Giles Overreach,” inNew Way to Pay Old Debts. On the 22nd, inOthello. On Sept. 5th, “Shylock,” in theMerchant of Venice. On Sept. 6th (Mr. Kean’s benefit) he appeared as “Octavia,” in theMountaineers, and as “Paul,” inPaul and Virginia.
Nov. 19th. The remains of Princess Charlotte interred at Windsor. The bells tolled, the shops closed all the day, and the day solemnly observed.
Dec. 3rd. The Corporation voted addresses of condolence to the Prince Regent and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Cobourg on the death of Princess Charlotte.
Dec. 31st. At the Concert Room, Mr. Matthews, the celebrated Irish comedian, appeared in the entertainment of theUnion, of the English, Irish, and Scotch characters.
Jan. 19th. £6,000 subscribed for aiding a plan to extend the navigation of the River Waveney from Bungay to Diss by the inhabitants of Yarmouth at a meeting at the New Hall.
March 4th. Several ships driven ashore in a heavy gale from the south-east.
June 1st. Miss Bryne sustained the part of “Adela,” at the Theatre Royal, in theHaunted Tower. On the 2nd, inLove in a Villageas “Rosella,” and inNo Song No Supperthe part of “Margaretta.” On the 4th, “Rosina,” inRosina, and “Leonora,” in thePadlock. On the 6th, “Lilla,” inSiege of Belgrade, and “Virginia,” inPaul and Virginia.
June 8th. Mr. Bartley appeared at the Theatre Royal as “Sir John Falstaff,” inHenry IV.On the 9th, as “Solas,” inEvery One has His Fault, and “Michael,” in theAdopted Child. On the 11th, “SirJohn Falstaff,” in theMerry Wives of Windsor. On the 13th, as “Governor Heartall,” in theSoldier’s Daughter.
June 19th. Hon. T. W. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., returned to Parliament. It was a three days’ poll, and one of the severest contests ever known in the Borough. Anson polled 780; Rumbold, 760; E. K. Lacon, Esq., 651; General Loftus, 612.
Aug. 3rd. At the Theatre Royal, Mr. Blanchard, of Covent Garden, appeared in theSoldier’s Daughter, as “Governor Heartall,” and “Crack,” inTurnpike Gate. On the 5th, as “Dr. Ollapod,” in thePoor Gentleman; and “Abnego,” in theJew and Doctor. On the 6th, as “Tobby Allspice,” inThe Way to get Married, and “Caleb Quotem,” in theWags of Windsor. On the 8th, “Dr. Panglos,” in theHeir at Law, and “Davy,” inBon Ton.
Sept. 4th. Miss O’Neil appeared at the Theatre as “Belvidere,” inVenice Preserved. On the 5th, as “Juliet,” inRomeo and Juliet. On the 7th, as “Mrs. Haller.”
Sept. 30th. Lord Viscount Anson died in London, aged 57; and the newly-elected Member of Parliament succeeded to the title.
Oct. 3rd. Sir Edmund Lacon, Knt., of Great Yarmouth; Thomas Hare, Esq., of Stow Hall; and Edward Stracey, Esq., of Rackheath Hall, created Baronets.
Dec. 2nd. The day of interment of her late Majesty Queen Charlotte at Windsor, observed with great solemnity. Addresses of condolence to the Prince Regent on the death of her late Majesty were voted by the Corporation of Yarmouth on the 7th.
John Bennie, Esq., engineer to the Haven Commissioners, drew up a report for improving the Bar and Haven. On 4th of Oct., 1821, he died in London, aged 64.
The Yarmouth Savings Bank established. The deposits in 1843 amounted to £80,246 19s. 7d., belonging to 2,550 depositors and 67 charities and friendly societies.
Nearly 100 vessels building at one time in our shipyards.
The gun-brig “Havoc” built in Mr. Stone’s yard.
Borough Gaol enlarged and House of Correction added; it was strengthened in 1835. The original built 609 years previously.
Feb. 15th. The Hon. George Anson unanimously elected Member of Parliament for the Borough (there being no other candidate), in the room of his brother, Lord Viscount Anson.
April. Velocipedes or Pedestrian Hobby-horses used this year. A person could walk from eight to ten miles an hour on them. Like the Kaleidoscope, they proved only “a nine-days’ wonder,” till 1872, when velocipedes again came into general use.
June 1st. Mr. Thomas Sutton (as surveyor) died on the top of the Nelson Monument, while giving directions. Aged 66 years.
June 14th. Mr. Edmund Kean again appeared at the Theatre as “Brutus,” inBrutus; and on the 15th as “Mortimer,” in theIron Chest.
July 18th. Mr. N. B. Palmer presented with a piece of plate (an épergne), value 100 guineas, for his exertions in the election and firm support of his principles, which seated the Hon. G. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., as Members for the Borough.
Sept. 6th to 9th. The celebrated Young appeared at the Theatre inHamlet,Revenge,Macbeth,King Lear.
Duty on coals, 6s. 6d. per chaldron.
Paxton’s “Picture of Great Yarmouth” published, illustrated with engravings of public buildings.
Jan. 29th. Death of George III., in the 82nd year of his age and 60th of his reign. On Feb. 1st George IV. was proclaimed at Yarmouth with much ceremony and rejoicing.
Feb. 28th. Parliament dissolved; and on the 10th of March, after four days’ sharp contest, the Hon. George Anson and C. E. Rumbold Esq., were returned to Parliament for the Borough. The Hon. G. Anson polled 754; C. E. Rumbold, Esq., 752;Lieut.-General John Michell, 612; and J. H. Stracey, Esq., 612 votes.
March 1st. A number of vessels stranded along the Beach. A high flood and tremendous storm, the like not known since Jan. 1st, 1779. On Nov. 4th there was another great gale.
April 19th. Frigate “Boreas,” 28 guns, launched from Messrs. Stone and Constance’s yard.
July 19th. Coronation day of George IV. at Westminster Abbey, which auspicious event was celebrated at Yarmouth by a public dinner at the Town Hall; bonfires, bullock roasting, fireworks, and other rejoicings also marked the occasion.
Aug. 15th. A grand Musical Festival at the Town Hall. The next morning, selections from theMessiahwere performed at St. Nicholas’ Church; on Wednesday at the Town Hall; and again on the Thursday following the entire first part of theCreationwas executed at the Church, with two miscellaneous acts selected from theRequiem,Mount of Olives,Judas Maccabeus,Israel in Egypt, and other esteemed compositions. The Church presented a very brilliant appearance, from the number of lamps and candles with which the orchestra (expressly built for the occasion) and the other parts of the edifice were dedicated. Among the eminent professors who aided in the festival was Lindley, the celebrated violoncello performer; Mr. Eager, and his principal second Mr. Cooper, conducted the instrumental band, and Mr. Buck presided at the organ.
Aug. 20th. Mrs. Bartley recitedCollins’ Ode to the Passions, at the Theatre Royal.
Sept. 6th. Mrs. Davidson appeared at the Theatre Royal in theJealous Wife, as “Mrs. Oakley.” On the 7th, inThe Belle’s Stratagem, as “Letitia Hardy.” On the 9th, inThe School for Scandal, as “Lady Teazle.” On the 11th, inKnow Your Own Mind, as “Lady Bell.”
Nov. 3rd. Sir Edmund Lacon, Bart., died at Yarmouth, universally regretted, aged 69 years. He was the senior Alderman of the Borough.
Feb. 28th. An unusual supply of herrings caught off Yarmouth; and sold in the town twelve for one penny.
March 13th. Petition presented by E. Wodehouse, Esq., to the House of Commons from the owners and occupiers of land in the vicinity of Yarmouth, praying for a repeal of the Malt-tax, and a modified tax on property.
April 10th. A committee appointed and subscription entered into for forming a fund for rewarding boatmen who might save persons from shipwreck.
Nov. 4th. Tremendous gale—a great number of vessels foundered in the Roadstead, and also many came ashore near Yarmouth. It was just such another gale as was recorded Nov. 1st, 1789.
Dec. 23rd. A fine new East Indiaman, the “Indian,” 400 tons, totally wrecked off Yarmouth. The crew of twenty were saved, and a small part of the stores. The value of ship and cargo estimated at £10,000.
Dec. 25th. Season unusually mild; the thermometer stood at 50, and so continued throughout the following winter months. Many remarkable specimens of early vegetation; and swallows were seen flying about at Yarmouth. Since the 1st of Sept. there had been but eighteen days without rain.
There were 1,229 men, women, and children receiving out-door parish relief; and the income of the parish was £10,770. The income in 1875 was about £15,000 a year.
Census taken. Population of Yarmouth, 18,040; with Gorleston and Southtown, 19,968. Houses inhabited, 3,981; inhabited by families, 4,318; uninhabited, 157; building, 20—total, 8,476.
Jan. 31st. George IV. arrived, and anchored his vessel in the Roads.
July 29th. Samuel Tolver, Esq., elected Town Clerk. He was succeeded by Henry Palmer, Esq., on June 6th, 1848; John Clowes, Esq., on Nov. 26th, 1850; and Chas. Cory, Esq., on Nov. 9th, 1851. (See June 9th, 1869.)
Oct. 14th. The Revenue cutter “Ranger” lost at sea.
Oct. 21st and 22nd. Miscellaneous concert, under the direction of Mr. Sippe, given at the Theatre. Leader, Mr. Eager. The principals were Mrs. Salmon and the Misses Sapis and Beale.
Exported from the Port of Yarmouth—flour 105,377 sacks; barley, malt, oats, beans, pease, rye, and wheat, 298,147 quarters.
J. Matchett, of Lakenham, published “The Norfolk and Norwich Remembrancer and Vade Mecum.”
March 3rd. Samuel Hurst, Esq., died at Southtown.
Exported from the Port of Yarmouth—flour 126,768 sacks; barley, malt, oats, beans, pease, rye, and wheat, 264,546 quarters.
Grout and Co.’s Silk Crape Factory erected.
Admiralty Sessions for trial of Pirates last held in Yarmouth.
Porpoise found on the Beach—7 ft. long, and weighing 4 cwt.
Masonic Hall erected in Gaol Paved Row.
James Sayer, son of a Yarmouth block-maker, a celebrated caricaturist, and author of many satirical poems suitable to the political topics of the times, died in London.
Exported from the Port of Yarmouth—flour 148,252 sacks; barley, malt, oats, beans, pease, rye, and wheat, 326,789 quarters.
Gas Works constructed; enlarged in 1862 and 1864, and new additional works afterwards erected. About five miles of the main iron pipe were laid in the streets, and on Dec. 6th the street lamps, 150 in number, were first lighted.
Five beachmen drowned in rescuing a crew.
Luke Waller died, aged 105 years.
The number of vessels of all classes registered at the Custom House amounted to 549.
Sept. 3rd. Miss Cranmer appeared at the Theatre Royal inDon Giovanni; and “Adela,” in theHaunted Tower.
Sept. 8th. Mr. Chippendale played “Useph,” inThe Siege of Belgrade; and “Chip,” in aChip of the Old Block, at the Theatre Royal.
Oct. 11th. The Catholic Chapel, in George Street (the first built in the town), finished, and consecrated by the Rev. Joseph Tate.
The mackerel brought to Yarmouth realized £17,000.
River overflowed the Quays and entered the houses and stores, doing much damage.
M. A. Jefferies threw himself from the bridge.
May 15th. Lord Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., presented with the freedom of the town, and returned to Parliament June 9th. Votes—R., 649; A., 645; Sir E. K. Lacon, 250; Lord Suffield, 250.
May 25th. The old Crane on South Quay blown down during a heavy gale of wind, and a new one erected at a cost of about £1,400.
Mariners’ Chapel built by George Palmer, Esq., service having previously been held in a vessel named the “Ark,” which fell into decay and so became useless.
“Historical and Topographical Notices of Great Yarmouth and its Environs,” by John Henry Druery, published. The work was dedicated to the Right Hon. George William, Lord Stafford, Baron Stafford and Baronet, of Costessey Park, Norfolk.
Feb. 6th. Mary Welch died, aged 73 years, leaving 102 children and grandchildren.
Vaughan and Murphey, two noted resurrectionists, stole several bodies from St. Nicholas’ churchyard, and caused great excitement in the town. The railings on the west side were subsequently erected in consequence.
Mr. David Service, the Yarmouth poet, died.
May 29th. The bells rang out a merry peal on the opening day of the Suspension Bridge. This structure, on the North Quay, was made chiefly of iron, and thrown across the river Bure by Robert Cory, Esq., under the powers of an Act of Parliament passed in the year 1827. It cost about £4,000.
Feb. 8th. Intense frost; river frozen as far down as the Public Library.
July 31st. Hon. Colonel G. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., returned to Parliament. Votes—A., 946; R., 945; H. Preston, 751; T. E. Campbell, 754.
Launches: March 8th, schooner “Sea Witch;” March 15th, brig “Ocean,” from Mr. Palmer’s yard; Aug. 1st, brig “Earl Grey,” from Mr. Teasdel’s yard.
March 15th. Marriage at Stokesby Church of Samuel Taylor, only son of Wm. Huke, of Yarmouth, with Charlotte Crowe Norton, of Stokesby.
May 2nd. Hon. G. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., again returned to Parliament.
July 7th. First stone of St. Peter’s Church laid, and finished building and consecrated Aug. 26th, 1838. Cost £12,000.
Sept. 12th. Mr. Power, of Covent Garden, appeared at the Theatre Royal, as “Colonel O’Dillon,” inThe Married Lover.
Census taken. Population of Yarmouth 21,115; with Gorleston and Southtown, 28,231.
St. Mary’s Church, Southtown, erected. Site presented by the Earl of Lichfield; cost, raised by subscription, about £3,000.
April 3rd. The Hon. and Rev. E. Pellew appointed Chaplain of St. Nicholas’ Church, at £40 per annum.
April 17th. Mr. Wm. Hazard died, aged 72 years.
May 27th. Messrs. Grout and Co.’s Silk Crape Factory burnt down. Present one erected in the same place. A Hospital originally stood here. (See 1828.)
Oct. 11th. Russian Horn Band Concert at the Town Hall.
Dec. 11th. The Hon. G. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., returned to Parliament, after the passing of the Reform Bill.
Edw. Pellew, Admiral Viscount Exmouth, High Steward of the Borough.
District Visiting Society established, and failed for want of support; but another attempt was made to re-establish it April 10th, 1861.
Yarmouth Glee Society gave their first concert.
By Municipal Reform Act the rest of Gorleston parish added to Yarmouth Borough.
Launches: Jan. 18th, schooner “Cornelia” from Mr. Holmes’ yard; May 6th, brig “Hudson” from Mr. Preston’s yard; July 12th, schooner “Abeona” from Messrs. Fellows’ yard; July 21st, brig “Margaret” from Messrs. Fellows’ yard; same year the barque “Harmony;” Dec. 10th, schooner “Fairy Queen,” and Dec. 12th, brig “Pioneer” from Mr. Lubbock’s yard.
Bishop of Norwich inspected the plate at St. Nicholas’ Church and St. George’s Chapel.
Horatio Walpole, Earl of Orford, High Steward of the Borough.
Jan. 15th. Divine Service performed in the Chancel of St. Nicholas’ Church for the first time.
Jan. 24th. Brig “Pioneer,” of Yarmouth, stranded near the Dungeness Light.
May 12th. Proprietary Grammar School at Southtown opened. It was demolished in July, 1858, to make room for the Goods Station of the East Suffolk Railway. The school cost £1,500.
June 16th. Yarmouth and Southtown Ferry opened.
Aug. 1st. First Annual Marine Regatta held.
The Fort removed.
Launches: May 18th, brig “Alexander,” from Mr. Preston’s yard; June 21st, schooner “Racer,” and Sept. 11th, schooner “Maria,” from Mr. Lubbock’s yard; Sept. 17th, brig “Vivid,” and Oct. 16th, schooner “Nora Creina,” from Messrs. Fellows’ yard.
An inquiry opened at the Tolhouse Hall, before J. H. Hogg and J. Buckle, Esqs., two of her Majesty’s Commissioners, respecting the state of the Yarmouth Corporation. After nineteen days’ inquiry, it was adjournedsine die. The evidence adduced was published the same year by Mr. Henry Barrett.
Jan. 7th. Thomas Baling and W. M. Praed, Esqs., returned to Parliament.
Jan. 23rd. Lord Walpole and E. Woodhouse, Esq., returned to Parliament.
April 7th. The “Baltic,” “Venus,” and “Wellington” left the Harbour with 200 emigrants for Canada.
Oct. 6th. Samuel Brock, a Yarmouth beachman, with a company, went off in the yawl “Increase” to the rescue of the crew of a Spanish ship, about twelve miles from land. They reached the vessel, and on returning in a squall the yawl was capsized, and nine men were drowned. Brock, the only surviving one, after battling with the waves for seven hours, was safely taken on board the brig “Betsy,” at 1 a.m. the next morning, and put ashore at Lowestoft. (See 1873.)
Dec. 26th. In pursuance of the Act, 6 William 4th, cap. 76, for the better Regulation of Municipal Corporations in England and Wales, the first Election of Councillors (under this Act) took place, when the returns were as follows:—North Ward—R. Hammond (108 votes), W. N. Burroughs (99), A. Sewell (94), Chas. G. Doughty (91), Benj. Sherrington (90), E. H. L. Preston (89).Market—Simon Cobb (135), Wm. Johnson (134), Wm. Hammond (131), B. Cobb (129), Edw. N. Clowes (128), Edw. Sewell (124).Regent—John Brightwen (98), S. T. Palmer (98), S. CharlesMarsh (98), J. Tomlinson (98), Cufaude Davie (97), Benjamin Dowson (95).St. George’s—C. Sayers (91), Wm. Grave (91), G. Penrice (91), Wm. Barber (91), H. V. Worship (90), T. Lettis (89).Nelson—G. D. Palmer (147), R. Palmer Kemp (137), G. Garson (127), Matthew Butcher (124), John Symonds (122), S. Robinson (118).St. Andrew’s—J. S. Bell (115), T. Hammond (111), J. W. Dowson (105), Wm. Barth (101), Hezekiah Martin (91), Patrick Stead (87). At a Meeting of the Council, on the 31st Dec., 1835, the following gentlemen were elected the Aldermen for the Borough, viz.:—John Brightwen, Benj. Dowson, Captain Wm. Larke, Richard Sibbs Lonsdale, J. B. Palmer, Joseph Starling, Robert Teasdel, George Jeffries, Benjamin Fenn, Robert Wall, Thomas Pitt, Charles Nichols.
The custom of electing Mayors by an inquest abolished. They were elected previous to this date, Sept. 29th.
Scheme projected for supplying the Town with Fresh Water by means of a Reservoir on the high lands at Burgh Castle, but unsupported.
The Hon. and Rev. Edward Pellew, fourth son of Admiral Lord Viscount Exmouth, appointed to the incumbency of St. Nicholas’ Church, on the resignation of Mr. Turner.
The two stuffed figures representing John and Betty Goblett, annually exhibited in front of Tolhouse Hall, prohibited being placed there.
Capital Jurisdiction abolished.
William Barth, Esq., elected Mayor on Jan. 1st, and again on Nov. 9th.
Feb. 27th. Brig “Isis” wrecked on the South Beach. “The History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, including Great Yarmouth,” by Mr. William White, of Sheffield, published; second edition in 1815.
Thomas William Anson, Earl of Lichfield, High Steward of the Borough.
Great storm, twenty-three vessels stranded on Yarmouth Beach, and upwards of forty lost on the coast.
The last Market Cross removed.
Rev. R. Pillans, while driving his carriage into the Angel yard, struck his head against a beam and broke his neck.
Nov. 12th. Captain William Watts died, aged 70 years.
Dec. 2nd. Brig “Valeria” launched from Mr. Lubbock’s yard.
First stone of the Wesleyan Chapel laid. The building cost £4,200.
On Queen Victoria ascending the Throne, C. E. Rumbold, Esq., was re-seated in Parliament, and the election of W. Wilshere, Esq., secured as a colleague.
G. D. Palmer, Esq., appointed as a Magistrate.
Aug. 28th. William Wilshere again returned to Parliament.
The new Workhouse opened. Cost of entire building up to 1860, about £10,000.
Sergeant John Wright died, aged 110 years.
The last of the Town Gates (Pudding) pulled down.
Yarmouth Hospital founded, mainly through the exertions of Mr. Wm. Steward, and completed in 1839.
Crew of ten hands, drowned from the fishing lugger “Walter and Ann.”
Feb. 14th. Brig “James,” of Yarmouth, lost off the coast of Scotland.
March 7th. A tremendous hurricane, and the streets and rows were strewn withdébrisfrom the roofs of houses, to which much damage was done.
Sept. 25th. Arthur Beevor, Esq. died, aged 82 years.
Launches: June 13th, schooner “Rob Roy,” from Mr. Lubbock’s yard; Aug. 29th, schooner “George Lord,” from Mr. Preston’s yard; Oct. 2nd, brig “Elizabeth,” from Messrs. Fellows’ yard; and Nov. 11th, schooner “Star,” from Mr. Teasdel’s yard.
Jan. 10th. The uniform penny postage first came into operation, and excited a great deal of ridicule, and its speedy failure predicted. Railways were in their infancy. Book post established in 1855, and Postal Cards introduced in 1870.
Jan. 30th. William Finch-Crisp, the compiler of this work, born at Hackney, afterwards lived at Erith, in Kent, for 11 years (where his father died on March 12th, 1850), and then came to reside in Great Yarmouth at the end of the year 1854, at which place he married Mary Ann, second daughter of the late Robert Boyce Crisp, on June 25th, 1870. His dearly-beloved mother died in Oxford on Dec. 5th, 1869, and her remains were interred in Jericho Cemetery, Oxford.
Nov. 4th. A selection of sacred music from Handel’s oratorios,Judas Maccabæusand theMessiah, performed at St. Nicholas’ Church by the Yarmouth Choral Society. Conductor, Mr. Woolman. Price (by ticket only), 2s. 6d., and for young ladies and gentlemen under 14 years of age, 1s. 6d.; book of words, 6d. Concert on behalf of Yarmouth Hospital and Dispensary.
Dec. Mr. James Burman conducted a complete peal of Bob Major on the Parish Church bells, composed of 5,040 changes, which were rung in 3 hrs. 25 min. In Jan., 1843, was rung a true and complete peal of Grandsire caters, containing 4,004 changes, in 3½ hours (composed by Burman), the only peal of the kind on record; also, same year, a peal of Treble Bob Royal, 5,040 changes, in 3 hrs. 35 min. (These records are now in the belfry.)
The old Post Office in Row 63 removed to the Hall Quay. The first office was in Row 107, about the year 1695.
John W. Shelly and Wm. Johnson, Esqs., were appointed Magistrates.
Gorleston National Schools erected.
John Clowes, Esq., presented with the silver medal of the Lifeboat Association for personal exertions rendered in the Nov. gale.
March 22nd. First stone of the Victoria Buildings laid.
June 29th. C. E. Rumbold and W. Wilshere, Esqs., returned to Parliament.
Nov. 14th. TheBirmingham Gazetteof 100 years ago (1741) says:—“From Yarmouth we hear there are great complaints this year in relation to their herring fishery; their men being all pressed into the service, and only boys left in the town for that employ.”
Nov. 18th. The barque “Iron Duke” came ashore, and sunk near the Britannia Pier. (See Oct., 1879.)
The Sawyers’ Arms public-house, Fuller’s Hill, destroyed by fire, and the Albion Tavern subsequently built on the site.
They were 49 persons in the Children’s Hospital, 223 in the Workhouse, 6 in the Royal Hospital, 37 in the Borough Gaol, 134 fishermen, &c., in boats and barges, and 173 absent mariners, according to return.
Launches: March 17th, the brig “Norfolk Lass,” and May 24th, the barque “Maria Soanes.”
Richard Hammond, J. F. Costerton, E. H. L. Preston, J. C. Smith, and W. Yetts, Esqs., were appointed as Magistrates.
Sir E. Lacon and Sons endeavoured to sink an Artesian well on their premises, but an accident to the pipes after boring 600 feet caused the undertaking to be abandoned. Sand and shingle were found to the depth of 111 ft., then 49 ft. of dark sand, below this very fine clay to the depth of 350 ft., then a layer of flints 5 ft. thick, and below them chalk, which was not penetrated.
Census taken. Population, 24,529—10,780 males and 18,529 females; Gorleston and Southtown making an addition of 3,779—total, 28,038. Of the inhabitants of Yarmouth, 3,340 were not born in Norfolk, and 13,430 were above 20 years of age—5,515 males and 7,915 females. Gorleston comprised 3,201 acres of land, and had 6,223 houses; of the latter, 5,408 were considered in Yarmouth, 164 were uninhabited, and 61 building.
Lifeboat Station first established at Caister.
Deaths: John Berney Crome.—August 18th, Giles Borrett, Esq., M.D.
Nov. 21st. First Concert of the Great Yarmouth Amateur Musical Society given at the Town Hall. Leader of the band, Mr. A. Suggate.
The present Hospital School erected on the site of the one built in 1278.
The duties levied on vessels entering the Port and discharging cargoes from the Roadstead amounted to £10,074 17s.
Police Court, Station House, and detention cells added to the Town Hall. (See Sept. 30th, 1879.)
Corn Exchange, Regent Street, attached to the Commercial Club-house, opened by a Company, to whom they both belonged. The former pulled down in Jan., 1871, and a new Post Office built.
Aug. 3rd. Children’s Hospital School opened after its re-erection.
Oct. 15th. Sarah Martin, the prison visitor, died; and in 1858 a memorial window to her memory was put in St. Nicholas’ Church. She was born in 1791, at Caister, and left an orphan at an early age.
The Round Tower near the Hospital built; ascended by a flight of 42 stairs. It was built by the merchants and shipowners, as an observatory tower, at a cost of £150.
May 1st. Railway between Norwich and Yarmouth opened, and the event was marked with great festivity and rejoicing. Messrs. Grissell and Peto contracted for the work at £10,000 per mile. Previous to this, steam packets plied twice a day on the Yare, between Norwich and Yarmouth.
Oct. Fish Market erected and opened on the site of the old one, but removed to widen the road.
Nov. 18th. Mrs. Harriet Chandler murdered in her grocery shop in Howard Street by Samuel Yarham, who was tried at Norwich on Mar. 27th, 1845, and executed there on April 11th. The prosecution cost £542. (See Jan. 30th, 1882.)
Dec. 13th. Paget’s Brewery, North Quay, pulled down.
Rev. Henry Mackenzie, incumbent of Bermondsey, appointed to the incumbency of St. Nicholas’ Church, but resigned in July, 1848, having the vicarage of St. Martin’s-in-the-Fields, Westminster, conferred upon him. On the 15th of February, 1870, the Town Council voted an address of congratulation on his being appointed Suffragan Bishop of Nottingham. This was the first appointment of a Suffragan Bishop in England for 200 years.
The Naval Hospital converted into a Lunatic Asylum. The building was re-modelled in 1868, and 37 new wards added, by Mr. G. Tyrrell. 80 inmates were received the same year (Sept.) from Haslar, making a total of 169. (See 1811.)
The Mackerel exported realised this year £14,500.
Gorleston Museum, containing many works of art, curiosities, antiquities, &c., established.
Her Majesty Queen Victoria passed through the Roadstead, on her way from Scotland, within a short distance of the shore. The Beach was lined with spectators, and several pleasure boats went off close to the Royal yacht to testify their loyalty.
Jan. 20th. Schooner “John,” of Jersey, stranded on the South Beach.
Jan. 26th. The yawl “Phœnix” and seven lives lost. Meeting convened on the 29th to relieve the widows and orphans left destitute.
April 16th. First stone of Unitarian Chapel, Middlegate Street, laid. Opened October 13th. Built on the site of the Old Meeting House.
May 2nd. Fall of the Suspension Bridge. 400 persons precipitated into the water, out of which number 79 were drowned. An immense crowd were attracted to the bridge and its precincts by a fête on the River Bure. The bill announcing the entertainment for the evening was headed, “Is it to be a benefit or not?” and underneath it a clown pointing to the above words. Then follows an address by Mr. Nelson as “a candidate for public favour,” who announces that“Friday night will be a grand banquet night,” and adds, “The following extraordinary fête will most positively be achieved, Mr. Nelson, the celebrated clown and modern Yorick, will sail on the River Bure, starting from Yarmouth Bridge to Vauxhall Gardens, at 5 o’clock on the above day in a common washing tub, drawn by four real geese, elegantly harnessed and caparisoned.” The tub was 18 inches deep. The annexed verses were on either side of a wood cut of the clown:—
Dear public, you and I of lateHave dealt so much in fun;I’ll give you now a monstrous greatQuadruplicated pun—Like a grate full of coals I’ll burnA great full house to see;And if I am not grateful tooA great fool I must be.
Dear public, you and I of lateHave dealt so much in fun;I’ll give you now a monstrous greatQuadruplicated pun—Like a grate full of coals I’ll burnA great full house to see;And if I am not grateful tooA great fool I must be.
The following artistes were to appear at the Circus (a wooden structure on the Theatre Plain)—Master Barlow, the four sons of Siberia, Mr. Alfred Cooke, Signor Germani, Mr. Charles Adams, Mr. George Cooke, Madame Culine, and Mr. W. Cooke.
Sept. 24th. Mr. Henry Teasdel’s warehouses destroyed by fire.
Gorleston Wesleyan Chapel re-built.
Yarmouth exported 327,000 quarters of corn; and in 1855, 258,000 quarters.
Sept. 2nd. Burgh Castle sold to Sir J. Boileau, Bart., of Ketteringham.
W. H. Palmer, W. Thurtell, J. Fenn, B. Jay, and W. H. Bessey, Esqs., were appointed Magistrates.
Lord Wodehouse, Lord Lieutenant of the County, died at Kimberley.
County Court first held at Yarmouth.
Steamer “Enterprise” seized for smuggling tobacco, and the engineer fined £100.
The Sea Wall in front of Britannia Terrace erected by C. Cory, Esq. Cost £2,000.
June 17th. The schooner “Ann and Jane” launched from Mr. King’s yard.
July 29th. Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Lennox and O. Coope, Esq., returned to Parliament.
Aug. 31st. Jewish Synagogue, in Row 42, built and consecrated. It was built on the site of a former one.
Nov. 29th. Cart-load of hay burned on the Hall Quay.
Deaths: June 6th, Capt. H. Barrett, ballast-master.—Dec. 24th, Admiral Sir George Parker, K.C.B.
April 8th. The brig “Agenoria” wrecked on the North Beach.
May 17th. Address of Loyalty presented to her Majesty by the Mayor.
June 30th. A Bill brought into Parliament depriving the Freemen of Yarmouth of their votes. The number on the Register was 1,106. Only such householders as were on the Register allowed to vote at the ensuing election, when J. Saunders and C. E. Rumbold, Esqs., were returned to Parliament.
Aug. St. Nicholas’ Church re-opened after restoration.
Sept. 22nd. Richardson’s Rock Band Concert at the Town Hall.
Oct. 7th. Mr. Norman’s warehouse, in Blind Middle Street, burnt down.
Lord Fairfax, with a large retinue, arrived in the town.
Nov. 6th. Murder at Stanfield Hall of Mr. Isaac Jermy and his son, by James Blomefield Rush, who also wounded with pistol shots the son’s wife and a domestic. The victim’s family resided in Yarmouth. (See Dec. 27th, 1879.)
Deaths: Feb. 26th, at Southampton, Rev. H. G. Maul, formerly curate of St. Nicholas’ Church.—Sept. 1st, Rev. Alexander Creak.—Nov. 20th, James Gidney, Esq., at Southtown.—Dec. 9th, John Lacon, Esq., at Hopton.—Dec. 27th, James Norton Sherrington, Esq.
Feb. 12th. Stone coffin, containing a perfect skeleton wrapped in hempen sackcloth, discovered in the north wall of St. Nicholas’ Church.
The Fishing boat “William Tell,” of Yarmouth (and crew), lost off North Foreland.
Sept. 18th. Mr. John Driscoll buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery; this was the first interment there.
Nov. 15th. General Thanksgiving Day for Deliverance from Cholera.
The remains of Bishop Stanley landed at the Crane Quay.
The new Bridge crossing the River Yare, and connecting Southtown with Yarmouth, commenced. Cost £50,000, including the site. 2,600 tons of stone and about 300 tons of iron were used in the construction, the two leaves of iron weighing about 45 tons each. (See 1427 and 1854.)
Jan. 28th. Parliamentary and Financial Reform Meeting held at the Corn Hall.
Mar. 31st. Mr. Waters’ Mill burned down.
Sept. 5th. Primitive Methodist Chapel opened. The Schoolroom adjoining was opened Oct. 29th, 1855, and cost about £450. (See Aug. 3rd, 1874, and June 22nd, 1875.)
Sept. St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church completed. Cost £10,000.
St. Peter’s National Schools erected.
Mr. Archard, with the assistance of Mr. C. C. Wilkinson (a resident of Yarmouth in 1880, and a relative of Mr. J. W. Argyle, of this town), brought out the invention for perforating postage stamps. They were before this date cut up with scissors. The former gentleman received a Government grant of £4,000 as inventor, and the latter £150 for constructing the machine. (See March 14th, 1881.)
Deaths: March 21st, William Glenister, Esq., architect.—March 24th, Rev. G. S. Barlow, rector of Burgh.—June 7th, Capt. Larke, R.N.—July 11th, J. Pritchard, Esq., surgeon.
Feb. 22nd. Sailors’ Riot for advance of wages. 11th Hussars sent from Norwich to suppress it. 18 persons taken prisoners.
The Duke of Northumberland awarded Mr. James Beeching 100 guineas for the Best Model of a Lifeboat. There were 280 competitors for the prize.
Census taken. The returns were as follows:—Population of Yarmouth, 11,867 males, 15,014 females, total, 26,881—321 males included being at sea. Gorleston, 1,195 males, and 1,391 females. Southtown, 572 males, and 840 females. The number of houses in Yarmouth was 6,328; and in Gorleston and Southtown, 948 houses—6,886 being inhabited.
Deaths: March 18th, Cufaude Davie, Esq., J.P., aged 56.—Oct. 23rd, Rev. J. Watson, D.D.—Lady Arabella Parker.
Jan. 1st. A procession of sailors through the town.
Jan. 3rd. Mr. Ransom’s mill burned down.
Jan. 17th. Douglas’ Travelling Theatre arrived here, and left on the 29th.
Jan. 18th. The brig “James and Margaret,” of Newcastle, whilst passing through the Roadstead, was discovered to be on fire, and she was run on shore opposite the Victoria Hotel. The fire was got under, and she was towed into the Harbour by the tug “Robert Owen.” After being temporarily repaired was sent home.
Feb. 5th. Mr. Bales’ Ball at the Town Hall.
Feb. 12th. Seventh Anniversary and Conversazione of Young Men’s Institute at Town Hall; Sir E. H. K. Lacon in the chair. A splendid collection of British and Foreign Goods, Pictures, and Curiosities were exhibited.
Feb. 20th. Mr. Ellis Mickleburgh, aged 80, accidentally killed by Mr. Roll’s van on the Lowestoft Road.
Feb. Gersham Davie, master of the Charity School, died.
Mar. 22nd. Jacobs, the Wizard, at the Theatre.
Mar. 22nd. Mr. Eccleston’s draper’s shop, Broad Row, was destroyed by fire at 11 p.m.
April 11th. A fire broke out in a Malt House, in Row 70, Howard Street. No material damage.
April 19th. Miss Fanny Kemble gave a Reading at the Town Hall. Subject:As you Like it. On Sept. 8th, another Reading from thePlay of Measure for Measure.
May 17th. Grand Masquerade and Fancy Dress Ball at the Theatre Royal
May 30th. Public Anti-Mormon Meeting on the Chapel Denes for the purpose of exposing Mormonism. A Meeting also at Masonic Hall on Aug. 30th.
June 25th. Musical Reunion Conversazione at the Bath House Reading Room.
June 29th and 30th. Mr. Gill’s Midsummer Flower Show at his Nursery, Regent Road. Admission, 6d. to the Gardens.
July 8th. Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., elected to Parliament for the Borough. They were opposed by Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Napier and W. T. McCullagh, Esq. Returns next day—L., 617; R., 547; M’C., 523; N., 488. The proclamation was read on 2nd; hustings erected on north-front of Town Hall on the 5th; booths erected on 6th; and nomination on 7th.
July 13th and 14th. Yarmouth Roads Regatta.
Aug. 12th. Flower Show at Vauxhall Gardens postponed owing to bad weather, till next day.
Aug. 20th. Robbery at the shop of Mr. Mouse, George Street.
Aug. 27th. Mr. W. Cook’s equestrian troupe entered the town, and their marquee erected on the Chapel Denes.
Sept. 17th. Grand Balloon Ascent at 5.30 p.m., at the Vauxhall Gardens by Lieut. Chambers, R.N., amid the cheers of a vast multitude of people. It was postponed from the previous day owing to the wet weather. (See July 27th, 1868.)
Dr. Alfred Impey died at Cove Hall, Suffolk, aged 38.
Oct. 7th. The Lord Bishop of Norwich and the Rev. W. Hook, vicar of Leeds, and Chaplain to the Queen, preached at the Parish Church on behalf of the New Priory Schools. Between the services a cold collation was provided by Mr. Brown, of the “Angel” Hotel.
Oct. 7th. Priory National Schools opened and the restoration of the Old Hall celebrated. Built from a design by J. Flakewell, Esq. Cost, 1,850. Library and Museum built in 1868.
Nov. 18th. Funeral of the Duke of Wellington took place. By request all shops in the town were closed.
Nov. 28th. Fire on the premises of Mr. J. W. Darnell, baker, Howard Street.
Nov. 29th and 30th. Two Concerts at the Town Hall by Mr. H. Phillips and his daughter.
Dec. 14th. Mrs. Swan gave a Reading from the Play ofHenry VIII.at the Town Hall.
R. Steward, T. Brightwen, B. Fenn, J. G. Plummer, J. Cherry, and C. C. Aldred, Esqs., were appointed Magistrates.
Caister Castle sold by auction to John Gurney, Esq., of Hoveton Hall. Norfolk.
Southtown Gas Works erected; enlarged in 1859. (See March 23rd, 1876.)
Local Board of Health established, succeeding the Board of Paving Commissioners.
June 28th. On Tuesday afternoon the ceremony of driving the first pile of the Wellington Pier took place. The beach and terrace were decorated with flags, &c. The pile driven had a brass plate inlaid, bearing the following inscription:—“This, the first pile of the Wellington Pier, was driven on the 28th of June, 1853, by S. C. Marsh, Esq., Mayor of this Borough. David Waddington, Esq., M.P., chairman of the Company; Mr. Peter Asheroft, Engineer; and C. J. Palmer, Secretary.” The procession from the Hall comprised a body of police, then a band, followed by the Mayor and Corporation, the Minister of the Parish, and the Town Clerk, the Ancient Order of Oddfellows bringing up the rear. The procession entered the Pier, marched to the far end, and there several blows by the “monkey” were given to one of the piles; speeches made, colours hoisted, guns fired, &c. When they retired the public were admittedfree. The pier was decorated with flags and laurels. Cosgrove’s brass band was in attendance. Grand dinner at Victoria hotel at 8 p.m., and a ball at the Town Hall. The pier, which cost £7,000, was opened to the public on Oct. 31st, and the day being fine, the town wasen fête. The structure was not finished till 1854.
July 28th. Re-opening of the Particular Baptist Chapel, after extensive alterations.
Aug. 27th. Mortlock Lacon, Esq., died at his residence, Hall Quay, aged 66, and was buried at South Walsham.
Aug. Coast visited by a very heavy gale, and on Jan. 4th of the following year, so boisterous was the wind that most of the shops in the Market had to be closed, except the doors. The market on Wednesday was suspended. The snow was of great depth.
About 90 boats employed in the mackerel fishery, each carrying ten men, and 65 trawling smacks, belonging to the Port of Yarmouth. Sale of fish realised nearly £27,000.
A herring 17½ in. long by 7½ in. in girth, and weighing 18 ozs., caught near Yarmouth.—In Nov., 1870, a mackerel caught weighing 2 lbs. 11 ozs., length 19 in., and girth 10¼ in.
The herring fishery during this year was very successful. About 100 sail of boats comprised the fleet of herring craft. Seven boats belonging to Mr. Letts and Mr. Skuckford brought in 650 lasts. The prices realised ranged from £4 10s. to £24 per last. The following ships left for different parts of the Mediterranean: Isis, 2,282 barrels; Fanny Palmer, 1,750; Acis, 1,488; Race Horse, 2,385; Stamboul, 1,811; Clarissa, 400; Tyro, 2,342; Fegossa, 1,728; Princess Royal, 1,480; Queen of the East, 1,925; Secret, 2,085; Earl Leicester, 2,800; Isma, 2,930.
Sept. 18th to Dec. 18th. The quantity of herrings sent by rail from Yarmouth:—To London, 202,844 packages, weighing 7,559 tons; to Norwich, 3,873 packages, or 387 tons; to Eastern Counties Railways, 18,298 packages, or 914 tons; Eastern Union, 5,252, or 200tons; to stations beyond Peterborough on Midland, London and North-Western, and Great Northern, 51,782 packages, or 2,589 tons; herrings in bulk to Manchester, Birmingham, Worcester, &c., 500 tons—total, 281,850 packages, or 12,189 tons in weight.
Sept. Mr. Peter Coble, Mayor’s officer, died.
Dec. 31st. The Icehouse, situate near the Vauxhall Railway Station, was partly destroyed by fire. The roof being thatched, it burnt very fiercely, so that engines were not of much avail, and the fire continued burning all night, and up to Sunday evening of New Year’s Day. It is now (1884) occupied as a coal store.
July 19th. First stone of the Independent Chapel, King Street, laid. Building opened in June, 1855; cost £3,700, including site.
One hundred and eighty-four licensed public-houses and 50 beer-shops in the town.
George John Milles, Lord Sondes, High Steward of the Borough.
Oct. 18th. The Southtown Bridge opened to the public. (See 1849.)
Nov. 18th. Messrs. Gurneys and Co.’s Bank erected and opened.
Jan. 1st. The town and neighbourhood visited with one of the highest tides witnessed for many years. The wind blew hard from N.W., and the moon was at the full. Some parts of Southtown were inundated, as also the North Quay, reaching to the Laughing Image Corner. It reached the north and south terraces on the beach, and a large boat floated near the Holkham Steps.
July 28th. First number of theYarmouth Free Presspublished; enlarged January 19th, 1856; and name altered toYarmouth Independent, June 27th, 1857. (See August 14th, 1881.)
Aug. 11th. Collision between the Dover and Calais mail steamer “Vivid” and the schooner “Henry,” of Yarmouth, by which the latter was run down in Dover Roads.
Aug. 12th. Wesleyan Reform Chapel at Caister opened.
Aug. 20th. Affray with Militiamen. Several influential gentlemen sustained severe injuries.
Aug. Laing’s Map of Yarmouth published. It took fifteen months to complete, and cost £600. (See March, 1856.)
Sept. 5th. Brig “Venilia” launched from Mr. Rust’s yard.
Sept. 25th. Address voted by the Town Council to the Queen, on the fall of Sebastopol.
Sept. 30th. National Thanksgiving Day for the successful issue of the Crimean war.
Oct. 3rd. Three French gun boats came into the harbour.
Oct. 6th. Russian schooner “Sampo” captured by H.M.S. “Tartar,” and brought into our harbour.
Oct. 25th. Loss of the steamer “Isle of Thanet,” off Yarmouth, and three lives.
Oct. 26th. Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., entertained the East Norfolk Militia at Hopton.
Oct. The New Cemetery walled-in, and consecrated by Bishop Spencer, July 16th, 1856. (See Sept. 7th, 1876.)
Nov. 3rd. Two war-ships, “Phœnix” and “Mæander,” anchored in the Roadstead.
Nov. 28th. Miss Fanny Kemble read Shakespeare’sJulius Cæsarat the Corn Hall.
Dec. 17th to 20th. Heavy gales; fifteen vessels driven ashore on the Beach.
Yarmouth Water Works Company completed laying the water-pipes throughout the town, and opened the works at Ormesby.
Deaths: Jan. 25th, Rev. Lithgoe, minister of the Roman Catholic Church.—April 24th, Charles Day, Esq.
The Rev. C. Smyth, formerly a curate of St. Nicholas’ Church, ascended to the summit of Monte Rosa and Monte Blanc.
The Yarmouth mackerel fishery realised a sum of £20,000, and 14,045 tons of fish of all kinds were sent from this town by rail. 20,248 barrels of herrings shipped at Yarmouth for foreign ports.
The Dene Well, Albion Road, covered up, and the ancient mode of drawing water replaced by a pump, which was ordered to be removed in Nov., 1876, on account of the impurity of the water.
Yarmouth Elocution Society established.
Jan. 30th. The Norfolk Artillery Militia left by rail for the camp at Colchester.
Mar. 19th. Sarah Hunnibell attempted to set fire to the Gaol.
Mar. J. Laing, Esq., appointed Town Surveyor of Hastings, a similar office to which he had held for several years in Yarmouth, and was succeeded by A. W. Morant, Esq. (See Aug., 1875, and July, 28th, 1881.)
April 16th. Steam tug “Robert Owen” sunk at the Haven’s mouth.
May 29th. Peace celebration at the conclusion of the Russian War.
May. The Rev. J. H. H. McSwinney, minister of St. Peter’s Church, presented with a silver salver before his departure for Cronstadt. Appointed minister of St. John’s on his return in 1884.
July 13th. Wesleyan Free Church, Regent Road, opened.
Sept. 24th. First general meeting of the directors of the Yarmouth and Haddiscoe Railway held at the Star Hotel.
Oct. 20th. Brigantine “Lizzie Lee” launched from Mr. J. Powell’s yard.
Oct. 23rd. “Parallax” lectured at the Corn Hall, and caused great excitement by his public discussions.
Nov. 25th. Very high tide and heavy gale.
Dec. Rev. W. D. Wade appointed to the incumbency of St. Mary’s Church, Southtown.
Commander Kisbie, R.N., awarded by the National Lifeboat Institution a medal for saving 90 lives.
Thirty thousand two hundred and twenty-seven barrels of herrings shipped at Yarmouth for foreign parts.
Marine Parade commenced. (See Mar. 7th, 1876.)
Deaths: Aug. 10th, Henry Humphrey, in the 100th year of his age.—Aug. 21st, Captain Charles Pearson, aged 72.