Oct. 24th. Inspector Berry resigned from the borough police force, having been unanimously chosen Chief Constable of Police for Gravesend out of 40 candidates for the appointment, at a stipend of £200 per annum. He entered on his new duties on Nov. 1st. (See Jan., 1865.)
Oct. 30th. A testimonial, comprising a gilt-framed document and a sealskin purse, containing £20, presented to Police-sergeant Brown by Captain Matthews, on behalf of 64 subscribers, as a mark of respect from the inhabitants of Gorleston.
Oct. Mr. W. M. Vores resigned the office of house-surgeon to the Yarmouth Hospital.
Oct. A memorial window, admirable in design and execution, placed in the Parish Church by the eminent surgeon, Sir James Paget, a native of Yarmouth, and brother of Professor Paget, in memory of his father and mother. Samuel Paget died in 1857, aged 83; Sarah Elizabeth Paget in 1848, aged 65. Twelve of their children rest within and near the church. (See June 15th, 1858.)
Oct. Henry E. Buxton, W. P. Brown, G. B. Palmer, J. H. Orde, A. D. Stone, and E. H. H. Combe, Esqs., appointed as Magistrates for the Borough by the Lord Chancellor of England. (See Jan., 1874.)
Nov. 3rd. A Local Government Board Inquiry opened by Inspector H. B. Farnall, Esq., at the Tolhouse Hall, and resulted in the ejection of three Liberal Guardians from the Board in Feb., 1874. This inquiry cost the town £187.
Nov. 10th. Disgraceful riot in Middlegate Street and at the Fishwharf with Sherringham fishermen. (See Jan. 12th, 1874.)
Nov. 18th. Thomas Baring, Esq., M.P., died at Fontmell Lodge, Bournemouth, aged 73 years. The deceased represented this Borough in Parliament in 1835.
Nov. 20th. Mr. R. S. Steele presented with a handsome tea and coffee service by the members of the Perseverance Lodge of Nottingham Order of Oddfellows, in recognition of his valuable services.
Nov. 27th. The Rev. J. W. Colvin, minister of St. Andrew’s, presented with a water-colour drawing by Mr. W. Platt; and on the following evening, by his congregation, a marble timepiece, set of bronze chimney ornaments and candlesticks, and a pair of salts, as souvenirs of their esteem, previous to his leaving Yarmouth. (See May 12th.)
Nov. 30th. Fire at the warehouse of Mr. J. Green, King Street, and damage done to the amount of about £15.
Dec. 10th. A gold Albert chain presented by the Yarmouth Bathing and Swimming Association to Mr. John Page, secretary, in acknowledgment of his kindness to the members.
Dec. 12th. Samuel Brock, better known as “Brock the swimmer,” died at Yarmouth, aged 70 years. (See Oct. 6th, 1835.)
Dec. 17th. Fire at the premises of Mr. W. Lawrie, manufacturer of vegetable black, ink, &c., and damage done to the extent of about £150.
Dec. 21st. 18,806 lasts of herring delivered at the Fishwharf, and sold at the average price of £11 10s., 4,000 lasts (equal to £46,000) in excess of the previous year’s catch.
Dec. The Rev. Dr. Gott appointed by the Queen to the Vicarage of Leeds.
Dec. The cutters “Brilliant,” “Diamond,” and “British Lion,” the property of Mr. I. Shuckford, sold to the Steam-Cutter Carrying Company, for £2,000.
The rateable value of the parish in 1873 was £84,600, of which sum £68,200 was apportioned to Yarmouth and the remaining £16,400 to Gorleston and Southtown, including Cobholm Island; and the Corporation was indebted to the extent of £29,522 for town improvements (including Regent Street and the Marine Parade). £14,000 out of the above was an old Paving Bond debt contracted in 1810 and 1851, which was being paid off at £100 a year.
Godfrey’s “Finger Post Guide to Yarmouth and its Norfolk and Suffolk Environs, embracing every object of Interest to Visitors,” (an illustrated work from the pen of W. F. Crisp) published.
Jan. 1st. Rev. D. W. Seppings, M.A., late minister of St. Andrew’s, Yarmouth, died, aged 37, at Bramley, Leeds, where he was for seven years the senior curate.
Jan. The Vicarage of Great Yarmouth vacated by the Rev. H. R. Nevill, and offered to the Rev. George Venables, S.C.L., four years the Vicar of St. Matthew’s, Leicester. (See Jan. 23rd, 25th, and Feb. 22nd.)
Jan. 1st. The screw smack “Pioneer,” built for the Steam Carrying Company, launched from Messrs. Fellows’ shipyard at Southtown. Dimensions—length of keel, 83 ft. 6 in.; 20 ft. beam; depth of hold, 10 ft., and capable of carrying 1,200 packages of fish. She made her first trial trip on the 24th, at a speed of six or seven knots an hour.
Jan. 1st. Richard Ferrier, Esq., brewer, died at Broughton, Chester, aged 51.
Jan. 3rd. William Maclean, Esq., for several years Secretary of H.M. Customs, died at Camberwell, Surrey, aged 78.
Jan. 5th. A. D. Stone, E. H. Combe, W. P. Brown, and G. B. Palmer, Esqs., sworn in as Magistrates before the Recorder. J. H. Orde and H. E. Buxton, Esqs., subsequently took the oaths of office.
Jan. 9th. The smack “William,” of this port, value £300, lost in a gale, and her crew saved by the smack “Rachel.”
Jan. 10th. Police-constable Layton bravely rescued a man and woman from the river opposite Queen Street. Another male and female fell over the quay-head on Jan. 15th, when Police-constable Green rendered good service.
Jan. 11th. Rev. J. B. Woolnough, the new minister of St. Andrew’s, preached his first sermon at this Church after his appointment.
Jan. Captain Gilbertson, Adjutant of N.A.M., appointed a Gentleman-at-Arms at Windsor Castle. He died on June 18th, 1870.
Jan. 12th. Six Sherringham fishermen convicted at a special Session, for creating, with others, a riot in the town.
Jan. H. Teasdel (Mayor) and E. H. H. Combe, Esqs., appointed trustees of the Southtown Road.
Jan. 13th. First meeting of Scientific Society at the Public Library.
Jan. 13th. John Godwin Johnson, Esq., late a member of the Yarmouth Port and Haven Commission for Norwich, died, aged 76. The deceased gentleman was Mayor of Norwich in 1855.
Jan. 18th. Mr. Frederick Diver, commander, Union Steam Shipping Company, died at Woolston, Southampton, aged 34. (See Jan. 9th, 1868.)
Jan. 23rd. A general holiday and day of rejoicing in celebration of the marriage of H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh to the Grand Duchess Marie of Russia; 200 gentlemen dining together at the Town Hall.
Jan. 23rd. Rev. Henry R. Nevill presented with a massive antique oak cabinet by the school teachers; and a handsome escritoire by the scholars of St. Andrew’s and Priory schools, assouvenirs.
Jan. 25th. Rev. H. R. Nevill preached his farewell sermon at the Parish Church. (See Dec., 1858.)
Jan. 25th. The Yarmouth sloop “Harriet” rundown by the steamer “Tanjore” off Chapman Head. Crew saved.
Jan. 26th. The first Aquarium Company liquidated, and the list of contributories settled.
Jan. 27th. James Curtis, one of the crew of the small river steamer “Alpha,” accidentally drowned on Breydon.
Jan. 27th. General Election. The Members for North Norfolk (Sir E. Lacon and the Hon. F. Walpole) issued an address to their constituency prior to the general election, but at the nomination at Aylsham on Jan. 31st there was no opposition to their return. (See Feb. 10th.)
Feb. 3rd. Rev. J. H. Rawdon, on leaving Yarmouth was presented, at the North-end Mission, with a biscuit basket and a chased-silver inkstand, as a mark of appreciation of his labours.
Feb. 4th. Messrs. H. Brand, J. Rivett, and W. T. Fisher, after an enquiry under Mr. H. B. Farnall, were unseated as guardians, in favour of Messrs. W. Laws, W. J. Foreman, and J. T. Bracey.
Feb. 6th. Mrs. H. Teasdel, the Mayoress, died at Southtown, aged 68.
Feb. 6th. Charles John, son of the late Charles John Moore, of Caister, killed by being thrown from his trap on Caister turnpike, aged 26.
Feb. 7th. The barque “Krona,” of Landskrona, with 2,364 quarters of oats, struck on Hasbro’ Sand and remained fast till the 9th.
Feb. 10th. Election of Members of Parliament for East Suffolk took place. Colonel Tomline (L) opposed Lord Mahon (C) and Lord Rendlesham (C); and the result of poll made known next day was:—Rendlesham, 4,136; Mahon, 3,896; Tomline, 3,014. Gorleston and Southtown polled 511, out of about 700 voters. (See May 30th, 1870, and Feb. 22nd, 1876.) The South Norfolk Election also took place on Feb. 10th.
Feb. 16th. The new smack “Reindeer” launched from Mr. Mack’s yard at Southtown.
Feb. 18th. Mr. R. W. Durrell, organist, presented with a handsome electro-plated sugar basin and a bottle by the members of the Gorleston Congregational Chapel choir as a memento of esteem.
Feb. 22nd. Rev. G. Venables, S.C.L., Vicar of Yarmouth, read himself in and preached his first sermons at the Parish Church, from (morning) 2 Tim. i. 13; (evening) Psalm xlviii. 12; before crowded congregations.
Feb. 24th. Rev. W. S. Beevor, assistant minister at St. Peter’s Church, presented, by 157 subscribers, with a silver inkstand, and a silver penholder with gold pen, by the Sunday School teachers and friends.
Feb. 25th. Meeting to dispose of the balance of the May Gale Fund. (See May 28th, 1860.) Statement of accounts: Subscriptions, £10,410 4s. 7d.; accumulated interest, £1,573 8s. 2d.; total, £11,983 15s. 9d. Paid in relief, £10,923 15s. 11d.; printing, &c., £779 6s. 9d. A mitigated balance of £50 or £60 was distributed among the remaining 44 widows and 22 children.
Feb. Two stained-glass windows placed in the south wall of Gorleston Church in memory of Mr. and Mrs. John Sayers Bell and Miss Jane Whaites, by their relatives.
March 2nd. James Crow, Esq., of Gorleston, died, aged 78.
March 6th. The result of the arbitration relative to the purchase by the Corporation of property for the Market Gates’ improvement received by the Town Clerk. The umpire’s award was £1,576.
March 10th. Excitable public meeting at the Town Hall to consider the abolition or retention of the annual Easter Fair. The latter chosen by a large majority.
March 10th. A fine otter caught two miles from Yarmouth, and subsequently made great havoc in the residence of Mr. S. J. F. Stafford, prior to that gentleman sending it to the Zoological Society, London.
March 18th. Mrs. Page, sister of the late Hales, the Norfolk giant, died in Yarmouth Workhouse. Deceased was 6 ft. 3 in. in height.
March 19th. The smack “Niobe,” and all hands, lost in the North Sea.
March 27th. The Rev. S. N. Vowler appointed chaplain of the Workhouse.
April 9th. Mr. Wm. Brogden, of Scarborough, appointed police detective and inspector by the Town Council, in place of Inspector Berry, resigned. Mr. Brogden entered on his duties in May, and was subsequently made chief constable. (See May 5th, 1881.)
April 14th. Seven smacks, late the property of Mr. Yaxley, sold by auction, and realised £1,597. On Dec. 29th, 1873, seven of Mr. W. Shuckford’s smacks realised £4,525 at an auction.
April 20th. The roof of Mr. Combe’s new malting premises at Southtown fell in, and resulted in killing two workmen and wounding three others.
April 21st. Another new steamtug, “Star,” launched from Mr. J. Beeching’s yard. Dimensions—length over all, 104 ft.; beam, 18 ft. 4 in.; depth, 9 ft. 6 in. Propelled by two engines, each 25 nominal horse power.
April 22nd. Thomas H. Palmer, Esq., of Norwich, eldest son of the late Nathaniel Palmer, Esq., who was formerly Recorder of Yarmouth, died, aged 58 years.
April 28th. Mr. B. M. Spanton, scripture reader, presented by 230 members and friends of the Market Mission with an eight-day timepiece, a purse of 9 guineas, and a morocco-bound book, for his zealous labours.
April 29th. The East Anglian Tramway Company summoned before the Magistrates and fined £5 for not keeping the Southtown Road in repair.
April 29th. Four smacks—the “Edgar,” “Ceres,” “Blue Jacket,” and “Mispah”—lost on the Dutch coast near Terschelling.
April 30th. John Thornhill Harrison, Esq., C.E., after an inquiry, this day decided that a provisional order would be issued by the Local Government Board for merging the district late under the jurisdiction of the Gorleston and Southtown Local Board into the Rural Sanitary District of the Mutford and Lothingland Incorporation.
May 4th. A lad named Everett Albert Parker thrown into a ditch at Flegg Burgh by four schoolboys and drowned.
May 8th. Mr. Samuel Linay, of Norwich (formerly a clerk in the office of the late John Lomas Cufaude, Esq., of Yarmouth, Clerk of the Peace), admitted an attorney and solicitor of the Court of Chancery, and subsequently catered into partnership with Wm. Sadd, Esq., of Norwich (to whom he served his articles)—firm, Sadd and Linay. The same year Mr. Linay was also appointed a Commissioner for taking oaths in the Superior Courts.
May 14th. Mr. F. W. Robinson resigned the office of Inspector of Weights and Measures (see Feb., 1857), and Mr. R. J. Buddery was appointed to the situation.
May 21st. Insubordination in the Gaol, and conspiracy to kill a warder.
May 27th. Mrs. Cator, wife of the Rev. Wm. Cator, and daughter of Lady Elizabeth Orde, died at Beckenham, Kent.
May 31st. The Mayor’s new robe first worn in public. It was purchased by the Corporation, and is made of flowered scarlet silk.
May 31st. Rev. Jas. Smith, B.A., eldest son of J. C. Smith, Esq., M.D., died, aged 57.
May. Mr. C. F. Laws passed his final examination for an attorney.
June 10th. The brigantine “Good Design,” of this port, lost off the Spurn. Crew saved.
June 11th. The Great Yarmouth Provisional Order Port and Haven Bill confirmed in the House of Commons.
June 11th. A deputation from Yarmouth waited upon the President of the Local Government Board (the Right Hon. Sclater-Booth) in London, respecting the “trickery” resorted to in the Election of Guardians, and urged a remedy.
June 13th. The brig “Eleanor,” of Yarmouth, collided with the barque “Belle Vue,” and was dismasted.
June 24th. Mr. J. E. Bales entertained at the Rose to a luncheon by his friends on the attainment of his 80th birthday. (See March 27th, 1876.)
June 25th. The “Refuge,” a model floating battery 40 ft. long, and in the form of two oblongs crossed like a star, with a sliding keel, water-tight compartments, &c., left the Roadstead for Shields.
June 30th. A massive and elaborately-chased silver salver and a sum of money presented by the parishioners to Archdeacon Nevill, in token of esteem. (See Jan. 23rd and 25th.)
June. Messrs. P. Chamberlin and J. S. Clowes, jun., passed examinations for attorneys. The latter died in 1884.
July 2nd. Mr. Shadrake, master of the Gorleston National Schools, presented with a gold watch and chain and a purse of 20 guineas, as a memento of esteem.
July 16th. Mr. Edward Morgan saved the life of George Daudy while bathing, and the 26th of Oct. received the Humane Society’s award on vellum for his courageous conduct.
July 22nd. A comet visible at Yarmouth for several days previous to this date. Its reputed distance from the earth was 27,000,000 miles.
July 27th. The Rev. J. Upjohn, M.A., of Queen’s College, Cambridge, for many years vicar of Gorleston, died in London.
July 30th. Rents first demanded by the Corporation for stalls on the beach, and subsequently for music-stands, chairs, &c.
July 31st. The smack “Elizabeth and Mary” launched from Messrs. Fellows’ yard.
Aug. 3rd. A new Primitive Methodist Temple, Priory Plain, to accommodate 1,100 persons—on the site of a Chanel built in 1850—decided upon at a public meeting and luncheon held this day. (See June 22nd, 1875.)
Aug. 10th to 24th. Local Government Board Inquiry, relative to the election of Guardians in St. George’s and Regent Wards in the previous April, was opened at the Tolhouse Hall, before George Taylor, Esq. Mr. J. H. Norman was subsequently unseated in favour of Mr. I. Preston, jun. (Regent), and Mr. W. J. Foreman gained the seat for St. George’s.
Aug. 20th. H.R.H. the Duke of Connaught, accompanied by two or three officers of the 7th Hussars, paid an unexpected visit to Yarmouth; and again on Aug. 28th, and proceeded to Lowestoft on the following day. He was entertained here by the Hon. Courtenay Boyle, in apartments at No. 3, Kimberley Terrace.
Aug. 23rd. Mr. Saml. Durrell, many years assistant overseer of Gorleston and Southtown, died, aged 82.
Aug. 27th. The Royal Assembly Rooms sold by auction to Mr. Henry W. Ulph for £2,050, and since then to the officers of the P.W.O. Royal Artillery. (See Jan. 1st, 1863.)
Sept. 4th. The dead body of a newly-born babe found on the river-side ridge of the Bridge, but how it came there was never traced out.
Sept. 10th. The never-to-be-forgotten appalling Thorpe railway accident, in which the Yarmouth night mail collided with the Norwich down train, and resulted in the death of 27 persons, besides wounding 50 others.
Sept. 16th. Sergt.-Major Hanlon, E.N.M., (on his retiring from the service after 22 years,) presented with a chaste silver tea-service and silver inkstand by Sir E. Lacon, Bart., M.P., and the officers and non-commissioned officers of his regiment, at the Town Hall.
Sept. 19th. The new three-masted schooner “Eunice” launched from Messrs. Fellows and Son’s yard. Dimensions—156 ft. over all; beam, 24 ft.; depth of hold, 13 ft.; registered tonnage, 260 tons.
Sept. 20th. The war ships “Northumberland,” “Sultan,” and “Monarch” anchored in the Roads, but left again on the 23rd.
Sept. 23rd. Lieut. F. A. Newington, R.M.L.I., of H.M.S. “Sultan,” after leaving a ball at the Town Hall, jumped into the river and rescued from drowning two women who had fallen overboard while in the act of landing from the steamtug “Victoria,” at 3.30 a.m. A public subscription amounting to £47 5s. 6d. was afterwards got up, and Mr. Newington was presented with a breach-loading gun, value £34, and an illuminated testimonial, for his bravery; on Nov. 17th he was also presented with a sword by the officers of his ship.
Oct. 1st. First annual meeting of the Young Men’s Christian Association held at the Town Hall.
Oct. 7th. Sir Thos. W. B. Proctor Beauchamp, Bart., died at Langley Park, aged 59.
Oct. 18th. The Rev. T. Allnut, after eight years’ ministration in Gorleston, preached his farewell sermons at St. Andrew’s Church, in that Parish. On May 14th, 1875, was instituted to the Rectory and Parish Church of Stibbard, Norfolk.
Oct. 19th. The smack “Alert,” of this port, run into by the full-rigged ship “Edith,” in the North Sea, and foundered. Two hands were drowned.
Oct. 20th. Mr. W. J. Lincoln appointed Town Hall keeper in place of Mr. G. Harvey, resigned.
Oct. 29th. The settlement of the Rev. Arthur Peaton, as Unitarian Minister at the Old Meeting, Middlegate Street, in the place of the late Rev. R. Shelley, decided by a public meeting.
Oct. H. R. Harmer, Esq., captured, on Hoveton Broad, a pike 8 ft. 1 in. in length, and weighing 15 lbs. It was presented to the Mayor.
Oct. The Misses Pearson and MacLaughlin received the War Medal granted by the Emperor of Germany. (See Sept., 1870.)
Nov. 7th. The Lowestoft, Yarmouth, and Southtown Tramway Company wound up by order of the Master of the Rolls.
Nov. 9th. C. C. Aldred, Esq., elected an Alderman, in the place of W. Laws, Esq., resigned.
Nov. 11th. Mr. William Webb passed his final examination before the Incorporated Law Society as an attorney and solicitor.
Nov. 12th. N. G. Barthropp, Esq., died, aged 60.
Nov. 16th. Mr. R. S. Steele presented with a handsome marble timepiece and a purse of three guineas by the Forester Brotherhood (Court Crown and Anchor), in appreciation of services as secretary.
Nov. 27th. The tenders of Mr. Davey (£276) and Messrs. Warner and Loup, of Ipswich (£688), for constructing a hot-water apparatus at the Workhouse, were accepted by the Guardians.
Nov. 29th. The fishing boat “William and Charles” lost off Winterton.
Dec. 11th. The smack “Rosa” came ashore in a gale near the Britannia Pier, where she became a total wreck. The crew were saved.
Dec. 14th. James Morris Hill, Adjutant 1st Administrative Brigade N.A.V., and late Major Military Train, died at Southtown, aged 51, and was interred with military honours in Gorleston churchyard. Deceased served in the Kaffir war in 1845, and received subsequently several marks of honour for his services abroad.
Dec. 17th. Mr. Edward Smyth, eldest son of the late E. H. L. Preston, Esq., died at Seaford, aged 37.
Dec. 17th. The Right Hon. Lord George John Sondes (4th baron), Lord High Steward of the Borough for 20 years, and also Deputy-Lieut. and J.P. for the County, died at Elmham Hall, Norfolk, aged 80, and his remains interred in Elmham Churchyard.
Dec. 21st. 17,724 lasts of herrings landed dining the season at the Fishwharf.
Dec. 23rd. The dandy cutter “Ben Nevis” foundered in Hollosley Bay. Crew saved.
Dec. The smack “Ace of Trumps” launched from Messrs. Hastings’ yard.
Dec. About 12 acres of Corporation land on the South Denes accepted by the Government at £100 per acre, for making Yarmouth a Military Depôt Centre, but was never established. (See Nov., 1875.)
Dec. The removal of the Parish Church organ to the north and south aisles of the chancel, estimated to cost £1,000.
The returns of the weight of fish carried from Yarmouth by the Great Eastern Railway this year were 27,517 tons, as against 20,399 tons in 1860; 27,222 in 1861; 28,346 in 1862; 31,947 in 1863; 34,432 in 1864; 22,764 in 1869; 26,894 in 1870; 31,898 in 1871; 27,400 in 1872; and 27,864 in 1878. The railway books containing the returns from 1865 to 1868 were destroyed by fire.
Jan. 4th. The closing of the Gaol and sending all prisoners to Norwich, by order of the Home Secretary, reported.
Jan. 5th. Mr. R. W. Durrell, organist, presented with a silver watch by the Gorleston Congregationalists, in recognition of his services; and on the 27th, Mr. and Mrs. Durrell were presented with an electro-plated cream jug and a pair of sugar tongs, as the remaining articles required to complete a previously-subscribed service.
Jan. 7th and 8th. Two consecutive explosions of oxygen gas, used in the pantomime ofAli Baba, took place at the Theatre Royal, but little damage was done to the building.
Jan. 8th. Board of Trade Inquiry at the Police Court into the circumstances attending the stranding and abandonment of the oak-built brigantine “Effort” on the 23rd of Dec. last. The vessel (160 tons register)was built at Yarmouth in 1830, and had at the time of her abandonment on the Cross Sand 120 tons of coal on board.
Jan. 11th. Jas. Cobb, Esq., solicitor, died, aged 84.
Jan. 13th. Mr. Joseph Fleming Neave, a late member of the Town Council, died at the age of 59.
Jan. 18th. The new St. Andrew’s Hall at Gorleston opened by the then Mayor (R. D. Barber, Esq.) at a public entertainment. This hall, built by a company, and situate in Now Street, is 60 ft. long by 40 ft. wide. It was sold to Mr. Bellamy in 1884.
Jan. 19th. The schooner “Shamrock,” of this port, struck on Scroby Sand, and subsequently foundered. Value of the vessel and cargo, £500.
Jan. 19th. Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., M.P., elected by the Corporation to the office of High Steward in the place of the late Lord Sondes. A counter proposal that the Marquis of Salisbury, D.C.L., Secretary of State for India, be appointed, was negatived by 22 to 4.
Feb. 1st. Stormy meeting at Town Hall on the question of the School Board formation, and subsequently many other public meetings in various parts of the borough.
Feb. 16th. First election of a School Board for Yarmouth, and though 26 gentlemen were nominated, but 24 went to the poll, the greatest excitement being manifested as to the returns, which were published the next morning, as follows:—S. J. F. Stafford, 3,975; G. Baker, 3,149; D. Tomkins, 2,672; Rev. A. Peaton, 2,615; C. H. S. Geake, 2,411; J. Bracey, 2,131; T. P. Burroughs, 2,060; R. E. Dowson, 2,041; J. W. de Caux, 1,884; E. P. Youell, 1,858; and J. H. Orde, 1,827. The total number of persons polled was 9,901, and the votes given 39,295. The above gentlemen were elected for three years. (See May 28th.) On Mr. Burroughs resigning in 1876, Mr. H. E. Buxton took his seat.
Feb. 23rd. Four of Messrs. Watling and Son’s vessels sold by auction, and realised the following prices:—“Mary,” £890; “Isis,” £390; “Kate,” £385; and “John Wrey,” £340.
Feb. 24th. The schooner “Jessie Brown,” of this port, stranded on Scroby, but her cargo of 1,425 bags of flour (16 st. each) kept the vessel afloat.
Feb. F. D. Palmer, Esq., elected a Vice-President of the Legal Practitioners’ Society, London.
March 1st. First meeting of the School Board held at the Tolhouse Hall. Mr. J. H. Orde elected chairman, and Mr. D. Tomkins vice-chairman for three years.
March 2nd. Messrs. Massey and Norton obtained consent to a lease from Michaelmas, 1876, for 999 years, of a piece of ground north of the Britannia Pier—430 ft. by 100 ft.—for the purpose of making an Aquarium, &c., at an estimated cost of £60,000, which was confirmed by the Council on the 9th.
March 2nd. Action at the Police Court—Board of Tradev.Mr. Garson Blake—to recover costs for surveying the “True Blue,” £24 18s. Judgment for the Crown with costs.
March 2nd. Mr. Francis Sutton, of Norwich, appointed by the Council as a public analyst for the borough.
March 9th. Heavy gale and serious loss of life and property. The schooner “Elizabeth” and all hands lost near the Barber Sand.
March 19th. The brig “Tweedside” and the iron brig “Robert Anderson” collided in St. Nicholas’ Gat, causing the former to founder. Crew saved.
March 25th. The Yarmouth and Gorleston Tramway opened to the public by the Mayor, and a luncheon afterwards given at the Star Hotel, in celebration of the event.
March 25th. Number of wherries registered with the Norfolk Port and Haven Commissioners during the past year was 112, of the total burthen of 1,963 tons, being an increase of 93 tons on the year.
March 25th. From this date to June 14th, the total number of passengers conveyed by the tram cars to and from Gorleston was 95,912.
March 27th. The brig “Thirteen,” of Sunderland, struck on the Cross Sand in a heavy sea, and both vessel and cargo, value £1,100 and £350 respectively, foundered. The crew were gallantly rescued by the Caister lifeboatmen.
March. The Rev. E. M. Sanderson, M.A., senior curate of the Parish, presented by the Lord Chancellor to the living of Weston St. Mary, near Spalding, worth £300 a year.
April 1st. The “Ernestine,” a full-rigged Dutch East-Indiaman, of 1,296 tons, with a crew of 27 hands, and having 2,000 tons of coal on board, struck on Hasbro’ Sands, but was got off by the aid of five tugs and another steam vessel the next day, after 800 tons of coal had been thrown overboard. Value of ship and cargo, £7,162. On June 24th the Admiralty Court awarded £1,800., i.e., £1,000 to beachmen and £800 to steamers.
April 2nd. Mr. C. H. Wiltshire selected Clerk to the School Board, out of ten candidates nominated.
April 5th. Last meeting held in the old Primitive Methodist Chapel, Priory Plain. (See Sept., 1850.)
April 8th. Bradwell Church (St. Nicholas’) re-opened after £750 had been expended in restoring the fabric and interior fittings. This church, dating from the 14th century, consists of nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch, and round tower at west end.
April 9th. Mr. William Laws, after serving as a Guardian of the Poor for 25 years, retired from the Board, at the age of three score and ten.
May 1st. The smack “Harkaway” lost on the Barber Sand. Value £600.
May 7th. A paper balloon sent up at the Crystal Palace at Sydenham, fell at Belton same evening.
May 18th. Contracts for enclosing additional ground to New Cemetery, amounting to £3,086—viz., brickwork, £2,230, stone-work, £286, palisading, &c., £520—accepted by the Corporation, the work to be completed by 29th Sept. (See June 9th, 1875, and Sept. 7th, 1876.)
May 18th. The whaling ship “Labrador,” from the Arctic Seas, anchored in the Roadstead.
May 20th. Mr. G. W. Bond, of Pulham, Norfolk, was elected House Surgeon at the Great Yarmouth Hospital;viceDr. Murrell, resigned.
May 20th. The foundation stone of the new Baptist Tabernacle on the Lowestoft Road, at Gorleston, laid by J. Edwards, Esq., of London. The building, of ornamental brick, cost about £600, and will accommodate 800 persons.
May 28th. The Returning Officer’s account for the newly-appointed School Board was £220 11s. 7d., but the Educational Department finally decided (Sept.) that £178 9s. 2d. was sufficient.
May. Petition forwarded to the Commissioners of Charities for England and Wales against the appointment of new Charity Trustees for this town, but on June 7th there was an excitable meeting at the Town Hall, called “for the purpose of considering the present position of the Children’s Hospital and other local charities, and the nomination of new trustees in conjunction with the existing five trustees—Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., M.P., and C. C. Aldred, B. Jay, W. Johnson, and J. Palmer, Esqs.” July 28th, the Commissioners “concurred in the annual publication of local charity accounts,” and thought 15 trustees sufficient. In July, 1876, the Charity Commissioners appointed them as follows: The Vicar (for the time being), and W. Worship, R. S. Watling, T. B. Steward, H. E. Buxton, R. H. I. Palgrave, J. Bracey, C. H. Wiltshire, W. J. Foreman, and T. P. Burroughs, Esqs.
June 8th and 9th. Frank Buckland, Esq., Inspector of Salmon Fisheries, held an inquiry at the Town Hall, as to “the state of the crab, lobster, and other sea fisheries along this coast, with a view of preserving them for the future.” On Nov. 16th, 1863, Commissioners Caird, M.P., Lefevre, M.P., and Dr. Huxley held an inquiry here on the same subject, but saw no reason for legislative measures.
June 9th. The memorial stone of the new Cemetery laid by the Mayor. (See May 18th.)
June. The total cost of pauperism last year was—out-relief, £2,855, in-maintenance, £2,131—total, £4,986. For the previous year, £5,272. East and West Fleggs for first-named period, £855.
June 14th. Mr. Edward Owen (37), a native of Shrewsbury, schoolmaster and local preacher, in travelling from Yarmouth to Gorleston, accidentally fell while in the act of jumping from a tram-car in which he was riding, and the injuries received resulted fatally. Deceased had resided in Gorleston for six years. A public subscription of £100 was raised for his widow and four children.
June 15th. Two new smacks—“Albatross” and “Terrier”—launched from Messrs. Beechings’ shipyard.
June 22nd. The four chief stones of the Temple, Priory Plain, laid by Messrs. J. Riches, F. Salmon, J. W. Neave, and A. J. N. Chamberlin. A tea for 1,000 persons was served in the Drill Hall, and a public meeting held in the King Street Congregational Chapel. (See Aug. 3rd, 1874.)
June 22nd. The principal stone of the Walrond Smack-Boys’ Home laid by Vice-Admiral Sir John Walter Tarleton, K.C.B., Commander-in-Chief of Her Majesty’s Naval Reserve. The promoter (Rev. A. T. Walrond) died on Oct. 2nd, 1873, but the family raised £1,000 toward the building fund. (See Feb. 15th, 1876.)
June 23rd. The marriage between the Rev. E. M. Sanderson, M.A., and Miss Eveline Mary Venables (only daughter of the Vicar of this parish) solemnized with much festivity.
June 24th. The Yarmouth Gaol, after this date, to be used only as a lock-up for prisoners on remand, by order of the Home Secretary.
June 28th. Colour-Sergeant Chipperfield presented, at the New Royal Standard Tavern, with a marble timepiece by the officers and men of the D Company of Rifle Volunteers, as a memento of their esteem on his retirement and promotion to the office of Paymaster-Sergeant, after 15 years’ service.
June 29th. Mr. Hitchman Hammond, a late member of the Town Council, died, aged 46 years.
June 30th. Smack “William and Ann” launched from the yard of Messrs. S. K. Smith and Sons.
June 30th. The opening of St. Andrew’s Church, Gorleston, after its complete restoration, was commemorated by a full choral service and sermons by the Rev. George Venables, S.C.L., and the Rev. — Gibson, of Lound. The new pulpit was the gift of E. W. Bell, Esq.
June. Mr. E. W. Worlledge, solicitor (second son of John Worlledge, Esq., County Court Judge of this district, and Chancellor of the Diocese), appointed joint Registrar of Yarmouth County Court.
June. Dr. Macleod, of Yarmouth Naval Hospital, promoted to the rank of Inspector-General of Hospitals and Fleets; and Sub-Lieut. F. C. N. Knox to Lieut. in 2nd or East Norfolk Regiment.
July 6th. Full choral service held at the Parish Church at the re-opening of the fine old organ, after being removed, thoroughly repaired, and additional stops added by Messrs. Bishop and Son, of London. (See 1733, Jan. 25th, 1869, and Feb. 23rd, 1870.) The organ is now divided into two parts, and placed in the Chancel 60 ft. apart. They contain 280 motor, and the same number of pneumatic tubes for conveying the wind to the manuals, supplied by two low and one high pressure bellows. The number of stops is 48, and of sounding pipes about 3,100, viz., Great Organ CC to G, 56 notes 17 stops; Swell Organ CC to G, 17 stops; Choir Organ CC to G, 10 stops; north Pedal Organ CCC to F, 30 notes; south Pedal CCC to F, 30 notes; 7 couplers and 10 composition pedals.
July 13th. Mr. A. J. B. Howes’ tender of £385 accepted by the Corporation for erecting the Fish Wharf master’s house; the same contractor on Aug. 17th was appointed to alter the Refreshment Depôt at the Fish Wharf, at the cost of £145.
July 17th. A horse belonging to Mr. H. H. Gambling backed into the river near the Bridge, and was drowned.
July. The Norfolk Militia Artillery received the honour of being called “The Prince of Wales’ Own Regiment of Norfolk Artillery Militia,” H.R.H. the Prince of Wales being the Hon. Colonel.
July 19th. Richard Mann, Esq., died at Ditchingham, Suffolk, aged 72. Deceased was a County Magistrate and a member of the Port and Haven Commission for Suffolk. Mr. James Peto, of Lowestoft, was elected in Oct. a Commissioner in place of the above-named gentleman.
July 22nd. Public meeting at the Town Hall on the question of establishing an Aquarium at Yarmouth and for obtaining local co-operation in the project. A committee of 17 gentlemen was appointed. It was subsequently published that the capital required was £100,000, to be raised in shares of £5 each. The cost of the whole building would be £75,000, leaving £25,000 not called up. The Aquarium and Skating Rink would cost about £23,000, and a public hall to hold 3,000 people—194 ft. by 60 ft.—£30,000. (See March 2nd, Oct. 9th, and Nov. 3rd.)
July 24th. The French gunboat “Cuvier” with four guns and crew of 75 hands, put into Yarmouth Roadstead.
July 28th. Rev. T. W. Harrison, late of Yarmouth, instituted to the vicarage of Christ Church, Luton, Beds, by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese.
July 30th. A hoax, resembling somewhat the evergreen Cromer hoax of Sept. 2nd, 1868, apparently perpetrated. On the first occasion, large bills were previously posted over the town, representing that on this eventful day “a fine commodious steamer,” with every comfort and convenience, named the “Isis,” from London, would take excursionists on a day’s pleasure to Cromer and back, at the reasonable charge of 2s. 6d. a head. Tickets to be procured before Wednesday, the 2nd. About £14 worth—i.e.112—were disposed of, and the money handed over to the “enterprising swindler.” Intending passengers waited long and patiently on the Jetty and Beach on the morning in question, but the steamer never came to view, and our townspeople retired home the wiser for their bought experience. On a later occasion, however, a steamerdidgo to Cromer, but left some 40 or 50 of her passengers to get home as best they could overland, owing to a heavy sea running.
July. Dr. Hubert Airy visited Yarmouth, by order of the Local Government Board, to enquire into the cause of zymotic diseases then prevalent. He issued his report with numerous suggestions in Nov.
Aug. 2nd. The barque “Ponda Chief,” named after a Kaffir tribe in Africa, one of the finest vessels ever built in Yarmouth, and the longest by some six or eight ft., launched from Messrs. Fellows’ ship-yard. Dimensions—140 ft. long, 28 ft. beam, 14 ft. 6 in. deep, and 416 tons register. A luncheon was afterwards given at the Crown and Anchor.
Aug. 3rd. (Regatta day.) The armour-plated corvette “Favorite,” of 2,094 tons and 400-horse power, got on Scroby Sand, but came off with the flood tide.
Aug. 10th. The War Department applied for additional ground, 2a. 3r. 0p., for the Military Centre Depôt, on the South Denes, at £100 per acre, but it was decided by the Council (Aug. 17th) not to dispose of the land for less than £500 for the two acres.
Aug. 11th. The new carrier-cutter “Flower of the Fleet” launched from Messrs. S. K. Smith and Son’s yard.
Aug. 17th. The Council were apprised by a letter from the Lord Chancellor’s Secretary, that Henry Teasdel, John Bracey, Robert Veale, and Robert Henry Inglis Palgrave, Esqs., had been appointed Justices of the Peace for the Borough.
Aug. 31st. An extraordinary race horse named Skardo jumped over the iron railings infrontof the Town Hall, dashed into an iron gate, which was carried away, then crossing the garden to the south side in its mad career, knocked down the two entrance-gates; also several feet of iron railings across the road, but the force of the blow against the wall of Messrs. Fenner and Suffling’s office overpowered the animal. It has since won several races, and the fame of Skardo (aliasIron Duke) will be handed down to posterity among the wonders of the past.
Aug. 31st. Collision in the Tyne between the steamer “Glanabanta,” of Newcastle, and the schooner “Second Adventure,” of Lynn, the latter being sunk and the crew drowned. (See Jan. 23rd, 1876.)
Aug. 31st. Messrs. G. T. Clough and J. Bonnick accomplished, on bicycles, the journey from London to Yarmouth, 122 miles, in 17½ hours, or 12¼ hours exclusive of the 5¼ hours they stopped for refreshments. They left Bow at 4 a.m., and arrived here at 9.30 p.m. The same two gentlemen on Sept. 3rd completed 120 miles homeward in 11h. 55m., exclusive of 4h. 25m. stoppage.
Sept. 3rd. The cost for purchasing property and widening the Market Gates, up to this date, was £1,446 4s.; £1,400 being borrowed at 4 per cent. on mortgage of the General District Rates.
Sept. 6th. The new smack “Huntsman” launched from Mr. H. Critten’s yard. Length, 55 ft. over all; depth of hold, 7 ft. 4 in.; beam, 16 ft. 8 in.
Sept. 9th. The new organ in St. George’s Park (Baptist) Chapel opened. The instrument, built by Mr. W. C. Mack, contains 318 pipes, and one row of manuals, 54 notes, from CC to F, and 1½ octave of German pedals, from CCC to F. Five stops are in general swell. The cost, including alterations in fixing, was £200. (See Aug. 8th, 1872.)
Sept. 20th. Revs. W. J. Blake and H. J. Bode, B.A., were licensed as curates for Yarmouth, the Revs. R. V. Barker and E. R. Adams being about to be removed. (See Oct. 29th.)
Sept. 26th. One boat brought in 1,600 mackerel caught off the coast, which sold at 2d. each.
Sept. 28th. The deliveries of herrings up to this date far below those of last year and less than in 1873.
Sept. 30th. The body of a male child discovered in a rain-water cistern, after five or six months, on the premises of D. Meadows, Esq., surgeon, King Street, which was subsequently proved to have been illegitimate, and concealed by a maid-servant.
Oct. 7th. The Rev. Samuel Hurst, of Southtown, died very suddenly at Corton, near Lowestoft, aged 80. The deceased gentleman was much esteemed for his liberality to local charities.
Oct. 9th. A dead porpoise, weighing 70lbs., found on Breydon, and sold for 1s. to a smacksman.
Oct. 9th. The foundation-stone of the Aquarium laid by Lord Suffield, the ceremony being attended by the Mayor and other members of the Corporation, and a large concourse of spectators. The band of the P.W.O. Norfolk Militia Artillery played at intervals. A luncheon was afterwards spread at the Town Hall, to which about 100 gentlemen sat down, including the Mayor (R. D. Barber, Esq.) and Deputy-Mayor; Lord Suffield, Hon. F. Walpole, M.P., Colonel Duff, and the officials of the Aquarium Society. (See Sept. 5th, 1876.)
Oct. 10th. The smack “Notre Dame,” of this port, lost in a gale about 10 miles S. W. of the Newark lightship. Crew saved.
Oct. 10th. The smack “Vixen” lost three hands whilst ferrying fish to a steamer.
Oct. 14th. The Baptist Tabernacle at Gorleston opened. It is of white brick, and of the Italian order. The interior measures 57 ft by 31 ft. (See May 20th.)
Oct. 17th and 23rd. Very heavy gales. The barque “Young England,” of Middlesbro’, struck on the Cockle Sand and foundered (on the 20th), and 12 out of a crew of 17 were unfortunately drowned.
Oct. 21st. The trawler “Surf” launched from Messrs. Beeching’s yard. Dimensions—Length, 66 ft.; beam, 18½ ft.; depth of hold, 8½ ft.
Oct. 22nd. Captain William Bugg, of the schooner “Eliza Jane,” and his wife, walked over the quay-head near the Gorleston Ferry, in the dark, and were drowned, and a third person had a narrow escape.
Oct. 23rd. The brigantine “Saucy Jack,” belonging to Mr. G. Blake, of this port, run ashore opposite the Coastguard Station, and became a total wreck. The vessel was built in 1841, and valued at £500. Wreckage sold for £38.
Oct. A handsome specimen of the Maigre (Sciæna aquila) caught off Yarmouth. The fish was 4 ft. 9 in. long, and weighed 75 lbs. It is a Mediterranean fish, and seldom caught on the English coast.
Oct. 27th. Public meeting in the Town Hall to consider the projected Railway from Yarmouth to Stalham, at a cost of £70,000, the land alone being calculated to cost £13,000. The total length of the light line to be 22 miles, and pass through and near to 37 parishes. On Nov. 9th the Council accorded their approval of the whole scheme.
Oct. 27th. Captain William Swann Stanford, five years pier-master of this port, and eight years previously harbour-master, died suddenly at Gorleston.
Oct. 29th. Sale of six smacks by auction, late the property of Mr. R. Galleway, realised £3,105.
Oct. 29th. The Rev. E. R. Adams presented with a case of four elegant silver salt stands, by the congregation of St. Andrew’s; and on Nov. 1st was presented with a pair of silver fish carvers in morocco leather case, by the Sunday School Teachers.
Oct. 29th. Charles Diver, Esq., tendered his resignation as Town Clerk of the Borough. (See Nov. 30th and Dec. 16th.)
Nov. 3rd. Gallant lifeboat services rendered by the Caister beachmen. The brigantine “Harmston” lost on the Middle Cross Sand, but the crew of seven, who were in the rigging for several hours during a very heavy sea, were ultimately hauled through the surf to the lifeboat and saved. Up to 1874 the Caister boatmen, about 40 in number, had launched their boats on 122 occasions, and had rescued 541 lives. A public subscription was opened in Nov. through the exertions of the Misses Morton. (See Dec. 25th.)
Nov. 3rd. At a general meeting of the Shareholders of the Yarmouth Aquarium Society (Limited), held in London, Lord Suffield, K.C.B., Colonel Edward Money, and T. A. Masey, I. Strutt, and J. H. Orde, Esqs., were appointed the Executive Committee of Directors. It was stated at this meeting that the contractors, Messrs. Chas. Aldin and Sons, offered to take shares to the amount of £20,000, and that the contemplated outlay up to the date of opening would be about £35,000. In July the subscriptions amounted to £21,865.
Nov. 7th. Thirty-five large sound codfish captured in the Roadstead with hook and line by two men.
Nov. 9th. First school under the School Board opened at the Oddfellows’ Hall, Gorleston; on Nov. 26th the Yarmouth Temporary Grammar School was hired; and in Jan., 1877, the new Cobholm Island and Gorleston Schools were opened.
Nov. 11th. A conveyance made out to Her Majesty’s principal Secretary of State for the War Department of land and hereditaments situate on the South Denes for the purpose of a Military Depôt Centre, and release of certain rights. Purchase money, £1,635, was sealed by the Committee. (See Dec., 1874.)
Nov. 11th. Heavy rainfall; no less than 120 tons per acre fell in 24 hours.
Nov. 13th. Frederic Graham Lacon, late of the 17th Regiment of Foot, of Tharston, Norfolk, only son of John Edmund Lacon, Esq., died at Madeira, aged 26 years.
Nov. 13th. Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., M.P.’s, brougham overturned near the Workhouse, the horse having become frightened and bolted, and although the coachman was much hurt, the baronet escaped with only a severe shaking.
Nov. 14th. Floods and much destruction of property throughout the country. There were 18 feet of water on the bar at our harbour,i.e., 9 feet more than the usual flood. The schooner “Elizabeth and Susan,” of this port, was lost off the Humber, and much damage done to fishing craft and shipping generally.
Nov. 17th. Mr. H. Stonex, organist of the Parish Church, presented, in the Record Room of the Town Hall, with a purse of £81, subscribed by the parishioners of the town as a token of respect.
Nov. 19th and 20th. Very heavy gale and serious loss of life and property. The schooner “Wild Wave” (95 tons), of Sunderland, laden with 600,000 bottles, run on to Caister beach (after fouling with the Cockle lightship) and two hands—master and boy—were washed off the rigging and drowned.
Not. 21st. A daring Scotchman, named Watson, again climbed through the caryatides outside the Nelson Monument of the roof, and after embracing the figure of Britannia, &c., descended by the lightning conductor wire outside, 144 feet, to the amazement of several spectators. (See 1863.)
Nov. 23rd. Mr. Edward Cattermole resigned the office of librarian at the Public Library, which he had held 15 years. (See Dec. 9th.)
Nov. 26th. The Rev. A. J. Spencer presented by the congregation of St. James’ with a silver pocket Communion service and some volumes of books, as tokens of regard.
Nov. 27th. A tar tank, containing about 50,000 gallons, on the works of Mr. Davy, Cobholm Island, burst, and the tar ran about in huge streams.
Nov. 30th. A Committee of the Town Council accepted Mr. Charles Diver’s resignation as Town Clerk of the Borough, the term to expire on Jan. 3rd, 1876. (See Dec. 16th.)
Nov. 30th. The smack “Chosen” ran ashore near the North Pier.
Nov. The Rev. R. V. Barker, M.A., presented previous to his leaving Yarmouth for a sojourn through the Holy Land, with a silver salver, silver tobacco jar, gold pencil case, and a box of mathematical instruments, by the congregation, Bible Class, and teachers and scholars of St. John’s Church.
Nov. The original manuscript of “Manship’s History of Yarmouth” found by the Rev. A. Peaton, at an old book shop in Bury St. Edmunds.
Nov. The “Perlustration of Great Yarmouth,” in three vols., by Charles John Palmer, Esq., F.S.A., printed and published by Mr. George Nall. It is an illustrated work of 1,282 quarto pages.
Nov. Mr. W. Saville Kent, F.L.S., F.Z.S., appointed Naturalist and Manager of the Aquarium.
Dec. 2nd. The schooner “Tantivy” of this port went ashore on Kessingland beach during a dense snowstorm.
Dec. 2nd. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution voted a silver medal and its thanks on vellum to Philip George, coxswain of the Caister Lifeboats; and to S. Bishop, chief boatman of H.M. Coastguard, at Caister, for their bravery in saving three of the crew of the “Wild Wave.” The Institution voted £10 for the others who rendered assistance. (See Dec. 25th.)
Dec. 4th. Another tug, named “Reliance,” struck the sunken wreck of the steamer “Gladstone,” off Hasbro’, and was run on to Eccles beach, where she became a wreck. Valued at £3,500; but insured for only £2,000. Crew saved. The hull was subsequently sold for £140. (See Nov. 14th, 1871.)
Dec. 4th. The schooner “X. L.,” of Goole, lost on Winterton beach; also two hands.
Dec. 5th. The billyboy “Three Anns” driven among the breakers off Gorleston, and the crew rescued by the lifeboat “Ranger.”
Dec. 6th. The Corporation resolved to erect a Contagious Disease Hospital next the Workhouse, at a cost of £500, and £200 for an enclosing wall, 200 ft. square by 7 ft. high. A contract of £1,050 was afterwards accepted.
Dec. 6th. Captain R. J. C. Day, harbour master of Ipswich, appointed as Pier Master by the Port and Haven Commission at a salary of £150 and residence.
Dec. 9th. Mr. C. Hall appointed librarian of the Public Library. (See Nov. 23rd.)
Dec. 16th. Mr. T. M. Baker appointed by the Town Council as Town Clerk, at a salary of £450 a year.
Dec. 21st. The returns of herrings landed at the Fishwharf during the season from Aug. 23rd to above date were 11,850 lasts and 2,600 fish. (18,200 to the last.)
Dec. 24th. Lord Hastings died at Calicut, Bombay, aged 20 years.
Dec. 25th. The sum of £197 2s. subscribed as a testimonial for the Caister Company of beachmen, for their bravery at the wreck of the “Wild Wave,” on Nov. 19th, and many former acts of daring in rescuingshipwrecked crews. On Jan. 4th the money was distributed, each of the 40 men receiving four guineas tied up in blue satin bags. (See Nov. 3rd.)
Dec. 26th. Edward Reynolds Aldred, Esq., J.P., died at Southtown, aged 68 years.
Dec. 29th. The new smack “Gem,” belonging to Mr. W. H. Stanley, of Southtown, launched from Messrs. J. and F. Mack’s yard.
Dec. 30th. Singular freak of a horse ridden by Mr. F. Danby Palmer. The animal having thrown his rider, bolted towards the sea, into which it dashed, and swam out with considerable energy for nearly a mile and a half, towards Scroby, when it was captured by some boatmen, and brought safely to shore again.
Jan. 3rd. Quarter Sessions. No prisoners for trial, a maiden session not having occurred for more than 20 years, the Mayor presented the Recorder with a pair of white kid gloves.—R. H. I. Palgrave, Esq., qualified as a magistrate for the Borough.
Jan. 4th. Arthur George Thompson (22), incautiously walked on an overhanging cornice at the top of the new Temple, Priory Plain, from which he fell 45 feet to the ground and was killed. The fallingdébrisso injured Thomas Kirk as to result fatally.
Jan. 6th. Five of Mr. Malden’s smacks sold for £2,775.
Jan. 6th. Juvenile Fancy Dress Ball at Town Hall.
Jan. 10th. A woman (73), named Hannah Ives, was brutally murdered with a spade by an insane woman, named Swatman, at Belton.
Jan. 13th. Fire in the Card-room of the Town Hall, under the hearthstone, and damage done to the extent of £15 or £16.
Jan. 19th. The smack “Charley,” belonging to Mr. Alfred Fisher, launched from Mr. Fellows’ yard.
Jan. 20th. Marriage of Reginald Thorsby Gwyn, Esq., Captain of the 4th King’s Own Royals, and Adjutant of the 4th Norfolk Rifle Volunteers, with Miss Mary Joanna Farr, youngest daughter of Isaac Preston, Esq.
Jan. 23rd. Collision in the Roadstead, about 1 p.m., between the s.s. “Glanabanta” (Capt. Ablitt, of Yarmouth) and the s.s. “Transit.” The latter, with a crew of 21 all told, of Dieppe (described in theVeritasto be 548 tons gross, 373 tons net [French], engines 90 h.p., and built at Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1871), was laden with 120 tons of coal and a general cargo of 290 tons, comprising machinery, silk, cotton, and light manufactures, valued between £30,000 and £40,000. The “Transit” was run on to the beach, opposite Trafalgar Road, where her hull still (1884) remains. The “Glanabanta” claimed £5,000 damages; but in a cross action the “Transit” claimed heavier damages, as the loss was computed to be £50,000. In the High Court of Admiralty, Sir R. Phillimore ruled that the “Transit” was alone to blame for the collision; but on an appeal in the High Court of Justice, Lord Justice Baggallay reversed the decision. The salvors were awarded £2,000.
Jan. 23rd. The Rev. Mangan, D.D., LL.D., late Dean of Limerick, after being appointed evening lecturer at St. Peter’s Church, preached his first sermon.
Jan. 26th. The cabin of the brigantine “William Crow,” whilst in harbour, caught fire, and damage was done to the extent of about £200.
Feb. 3rd. First “Spelling Bee” entertainment held in Yarmouth.
Feb. 15th. The Walrond Smack-Beys’ Home opened by Earl Nelson. (See June 22nd, 1875.) This Gothic building cost with fittings about £2,000, and will accommodate about 40 boys.
Feb. 21st. Mr. William Laws, as superintendent of St. Nicholas’ Sunday School since 1844, presented with several testimonials previous to his leaving for Beccles.
Feb. 22nd. East Suffolk Election. Lord Mahon having been elevated to the House of Peers on the death of his father, his seat in Parliament for East Suffolk became vacant, and Lieut.-Colonel St. John Barne (C.) and Charles Easton, Esq. (L.), contested for the seat. Poll—Colonel Barne, 3,659; Mr. Easton, 2,708—majority, 951. Colonel Barne’s election cost £4,140, and Mr. Easton’s £2,312.
Feb. 23rd. Fire at Mr. John Harris’ pipe manufactory, Priory Plain. Damage about £150.
Feb. 23rd and 24th. Sir Randal Roberts, Bart., appeared at the Theatre Royal, and impersonated “Charles Devereux” in the comediettaUnder a Veil, written by himself; and on the 25th and 26th he appeared as “Lieutenant Ringston, R.N.,” inNaval Engagements, with the Maitland Blue Beard Burlesque Company.
The Marine Drive widened 60 feet, between Britannia and Wellington Piers, a distance of 3,000 feet; cost, £2,500. (See April 22nd.)
A new gasometer (No. 3), capable of holding 63,000 cubic feet of gas, and its tank 406,350 gallons of water, was erected at the Southtown Gas Works, which, with other modern improvements, cost £5,000.
April 1st. The Hon. Frederick Walpole, of Rainthorpe Hall, Flordon, M.P. for North Norfolk, died in London. Deceased was third surviving son of the third Earl of Orford, and was born in 1822.
April 14th. Loss of the “Cygnet” and all hands.
April 18th. The full-rigged ship “Humboldt,” with 349 emigrants on board, ran on to Winterton Beach.
April 20th. The Rev. G. Merriman, M.A., presented with a gold watch, silver tea service, and a silver claret jug, by the St. James’ congregation.
April 21st. Lieutenant-Colonel James Duff elected a Member of Parliament for North Norfolk, in place of the Hon. F. Walpole, deceased. (See April 1st, 1876, and Nov. 26th, 1868.) Poll—Colonel Duff (C.), 2,302; Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, Bart. (L.), 2,192; majority, 110. Out of the 6,231 voters on register, only 4,494 voted. Number on register in the Borough (including Runham), 1,980; number voted in Yarmouth, 1,380.
April 22nd. R. Morgan, Esq., C.E., Government Board Inspector, visited Yarmouth respecting the borrowing of £3,300 by the Corporation, for widening the Drive, &c.
April 23rd. Lady Elizabeth Susan Orde died at Hopton. She was eldest daughter of Henry Charles, sixth Duke of Beaufort, and born June 23rd, 1798.
April 28th. E. P. Youell, Esq., presented by the parishioners of Gorleston with a massive silver four-glass épergne, value £80, for his zealous exertions in connection with the restoration of Gorleston Church. (See Aug. 14th, 1871.)
May 9th. The Yarmouth brig “Tradesman” lost on the Normandy coast.
June 2nd. Meeting at the Town Hall resolved to have a four-dial clock in St. Peter’s Tower, which was placed there the same year.
June 8th. The Gt. Yarmouth Bowling Green opened.
June 13th. Vice-Admiral Thomas Lewis Gooch, youngest son of the late Sir Thomas Sherlock Gooch, Bart., died at Yarmouth, aged 69 years.
June 22nd. Capt. Wm. Holt, 16 years connected with the 2nd N.R.V., presented, on his retirement, with four elegantly-chased silver dessert spoons by the members of D. Company. (See Dec. 4th, 1883.)
July 8th. Heavy thunderstorm. The electric fluid struck the chimney and entered a cottage in the factory yard, disarranging and breaking the furniture and ornaments in the room; it also did damage to other property in the town, including some amount of destruction of property belonging to Mr. H. Harding, St. Nicholas’ Road, who had a large chimney knocked down and many squares of glass broken.
July 10th. Fire in Church Street, Gorleston. Six cottages burnt down, and three others partly destroyed. Nearly 40 men, women, and children rendered homeless for a time.
July 27th. The Yarmouth Temple dedicated for Divine worship before its completion. Interior dimensions, 72 feet by 52 feet; height, 35 feet. Cost £4,000; accommodates 1,100.
July. St. Peter’s Road footway laid with concrete.
Aug. 8th. Miss E. Pearson, of Yarmouth, and Miss MacLaughlin, left London for Servia,viaVienna, their services as nurses to the sick and wounded in the Eastern war having been accepted by Archbishop Michael, at Belgrade. They were greeted by a torchlight procession on their arrival. (See Aug. 7th, 1871.)
Aug. 21st. The stallage, rents, and tolls in the Market and Fair let by auction for five years from Jan. 1st, 1877, to Messrs. Bower, of Leeds, for £925 per annum. (See Dec. 11th, 1871.) Some 13 years ago, the same lessees gave but £625 per annum.
Aug. 29th. A cyclone of great violence swept over some parts of this district, and carried trees, stacks, &c., away in its narrow track.
Aug. The Registrar-General’s returns show that the mortality of Yarmouth was 15 per 1,000—nine other places only out of 46 being lower.
Sept. 5th. The Yarmouth Aquarium opened to the public with much ceremony, and arecherchéluncheon was spread in the corridor.
Sept. 7th. Another new cemetery (No. 3) consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich. It comprises about ten acres. (See Oct. 18th, 1855.)
Sept. 7th and 8th. East of England Great Horse Fête held on Southtown Marshes.
Sept. 8th. Meeting at Town Hall protesting against the Turkish atrocities.
Sept. 11th. Mr. W. J. Lincoln presented with a handsome timepiece by the members of the Foresters’ Court “Star of the East” (2728). He had been 18 years secretary.
Sept. 24th. At 6.30 p.m., an extraordinary meteor, resembling a brilliant ball of fire and shooting stars, illuminated the heavens for several seconds.
Sept. 27th. Commander Horatio Nelson, R.N., son of the late Thomas Atkinson, master of the flag-ship “Victory” at Trafalgar, and godson of the late Admiral Lord Nelson, died at Yarmouth, aged 78.
Oct. 13th. H. E. Buxton, Esq., elected a member of the School Board in place of T. P. Burroughs, Esq., resigned.
Oct. At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, the Revs. R. J. Tacon (Rollesby), and T. J. Blofeld (Ormesby), and G. M. Beck, Esq. (Ormesby), qualified as County Magistrates.
Oct. 16th. Testimonials of £15 sterling—a richly-mounted walking stick, and a pipe—presented to pay-master-Sergt.Grier, on his leaving the E. N. Militia, after 22 years.
Oct. 19th. The screw gunboat “Cherub,” 60 h.p., and two guns, anchored in the Roadstead. Also the screw iron troopship “Assistance,” 1,300 h.p., and two guns, 2,037 tons burthen; and two Tyne gunboats, each having a 35-pounder.
Oct. 22nd. Heavy gale. Loss of the lugger “Cynthia,” and all hands.
Oct. 23rd. First burial in the new Cemetery—Samuel Mannall, many years in the Trinity service, aged 47.
Oct. 28th. A live stag found swimming at sea, over three miles from land. The crew of the smack “Gleaner” picked the animal up, and brought it safely to the Royal Hotel stables.
Nov. 5th. Mr. J. W. Parsley, smack owner, late of Greenwich, died at Gorleston, aged 46.
Nov. 8th. Schooner “Essex” driven ashore, and wrecked south of Gorleston Pier. On the 11th the brig “Vulcan” shared the same fate in the South Ham.
Nov. 15th. Mr. T. Elliot, of Ormesby, presented at the Aquarium with a testimonial—a handsome épergne or candelabrum, with a group of stags at the base—in acknowledgment of public services rendered to numerous charities.
Nov. 15th. Great Conservative Banquet held at the Drill Hall. About 600 guests present, including the members for North Norfolk, and Colonel Barne, M.P.
Nov. 17th. H. R. Harmer, Esq., appointed as Vestry Clerk without a poll, in place of the late Mr. S. Barnard Cory.
Nov. 23rd. Mr. W. Stockton, Master of the School of Navigation, presented with a travelling bag, completely fitted up, a silver pencil case, and set of gold studs, by his old pupils and friends, as a token of esteem.
Nov. The new steam tug “Comet,” built for the Yarmouth Star Steam Tug Company, arrived at this port.
Nov. Mr. Henry Spelman Palmer attained the degree of B.A. at the London University.
Nov. A patent wedge or railway key invented by Mr. James Gillings.
Nov. 29th. Mr. John Woodger, died, aged 63 years. Deceased was a member of the Yarmouth Corporation and Board of Guardians.
Nov. Mr. Thomas Small resigned the Consular Agency after 24 years, and the French Government presented him with a gold medal (in case) in recognition of valuable services.
Dec. 3rd. The Austrian barque “Olympo” stranded on Yarmouth beach. The smack “Steadfast” was lost on the following day, with two hands.
Dec. 6th. Mr. William Rudd presented with a handsome timepiece, silver inkstand and penholder, and two bronze candelabra, by the Sunday School teachers and congregation of St. Andrew’s.
Dec. 7th. Baptist Schoolrooms, Crown Road, built and opened. Cost, £950. The corner-stone was laid July 20th.
Dec. 8th. A black marble timepiece, inlaid with malachite, presented to Mr. J. Johnson (foreman to Messrs. Aldin), by the Directors of the Aquarium, for his skill and assiduity in conducting these prodigious works.
Dec. 12th. The smack “Gnat,” of this port, after a collision, foundered at the Silver Pits, value £1,000.
Dec. 13th. Sir Charles R. Turner, fifth son of the late Rev. Richard Turner of this town, died in London, aged 87.
Dec. 21st. The number of lasts of herrings for the present season landed at the Fishwharf was 18,836. The aggregate earnings of 20 boats amounted to £24,217,i.e., £1,210 per boat, and the gross expenses amounted to about £4,907. The previous year the aggregate of 20 boats was £18,787,i.e., £981 per boat, and the expenses reached £4,582.
Dec. 23rd. The barque “Ingleborough,” of Hull, lost on the Barber Sand. Value, £2,000; cargo, £900. On the 27th the “Countess of Zetland,” damaged by the floating wreck of the above, was ran ashore opposite the Aquarium, where she became a total wreck.
Dec. 28th. James Wright, master of the smack “Olive Branch,” awarded a silver medal by the King of Sweden and Norway for his bravery in saving the crew of a Norwegian brig.