1881.

Jan. 6th.  Mr. W. H. Willis, boat owner of Gorleston, presented with a handsome timepiece by the Pilot Lodge (M.U.O.O.), of which he was hon. sec.

Jan.  The Local Government Board consented to lend the Corporation £2,000 for wood and concrete pavements, the money spent in wood to be refunded in 15 years, and that for concreting in 20 years.

Jan.  New Coastguard House on Gorleston Pier erected.

Jan. 7th.  Mr. Robert Warner’s sail and net stores at Gorleston destroyed by fire; damage about £3,500; and on Jan. 26th a large fire at Mr. C. Seiver’s net chamber, at Gorleston.  March 28th, one occurred at Mr. T. Gallant’s, “William the IV.” public house, Gorleston.

Jan. 11th.  The North End Mission Room opened.

Jan. 11th.  A large gallery in the north-west aisle of St. Nicholas’ Church removed.

Jan. 17th.  Mr. C. H. Wiltshire elected an Alderman in the place of the late Mr. R. S. Watling.

Jan. 18th.  One of the worst gales experienced in the present generation, when six out of a crew of nine brave beachmen and a volunteer lost their lives by the upsetting of the surf lifeboat “Abraham Thomas” whilst trying to rescue the mate of the schooner “Guiding Star” (Thomas Jones), whose vessel was stranded on the South Beach, opposite the Asylum.  Jones was also lost out of the lifeboat.  Highway traffic and the Great Eastern Railway was blocked for 24 hours.  About 50 lives were lost off this coast.  Besides the “Guiding Star,” the schooners “Rhoda,” and “Sarah Jane,” the French ketch “Manne du Ciel,” and the brig “Battle of Corunna” were driven ashore, and from the last-named, in the South Ham, seven hands, including a woman, were drowned.  The names of the men in the lifeboat who were drowned were J. Ditcham (30), H. Masterson (15), J. Sherwood (44), Robert Symonds (37), Charles Henry Beckett (21), and William Green (whose body was not recovered), leaving 4 widows and 22 children.  On the day of the interment (24th) thousands of people filled the Parish Church, and lined the route to the New Cemetery.  At the funeral service the organ played the “Dead March” inSamson, and the Mayoress (Mrs. T. B. Steward) placed a beautiful floral wreathupon each of the coffins before they entered the church.  The funeralcortègecomprised five separate hearses, and thirteen mourning coaches with the relatives.  The subscriptions raised for the relief of the widows and orphans reached over £3,000.  The four survivors among the lifeboat men were W. Haylett, coxswain, W. Davey, R. Brown, and W. P. Smith.

Jan.  Mr. W. G. Poll, of Yarmouth, and Mr. A. E. Richmond, of Southtown, passed their preliminary examinations of the Pharmaceutical Society.

Feb. 4th.  Mr. C. H. Christmas died at Yarmouth, aged 86 years.  (See Oct., 1880.)

Feb.  Mr. W. H. Cowl, solicitor, awarded the special prizes of the “Timphron Martin” and “John Atkinson” gold medals for 1880.

Feb. 11th.  The stoker on board the steam tug “Victoria,” Robert Jackman (46), accidentally killed after towing the Norwegian steamer “Norma” (652 tons register) on to Gorleston beach the day before, where she became a total wreck.

Feb. 11th.  School Board Election.  The following candidates were returned:—Messrs. Palgrave, Peaton, Moxon, Johnson, Dowson, Waters, Worlledge, Leach (Mrs.), Bately, Splain, and Tomkins.  (See Feb., 1875.)

Feb. 12th.  Marriage of the Baroness Burdett-Coutts, with W. Ashmead Bartlett, Esq., in London.

March.  A fine shark, 7 ft. long, brought to the Fishwharf.

March 5th.  Total loss of the Yarmouth schooner “Princess Royal” and all hands.

March 14th.  Charles Crawshaw Wilkinson, inventor of the perforated stamp sheets, died at Yarmouth, aged 79 years.  (See 1850.)

April.  Lieut.-Col. Sir E. Lacon resigned his commission in the 2nd East Norfolk Militia, but retains the rank of hon. colonel.

April 18th to May 7th.  The first National Fisheries Exhibition at Norwich, and many contributions were sent from Yarmouth.

April.  The census of Yarmouth and Gorleston taken by 22 enumerators.  Population of the Borough, 44,782, including 8,903 in Gorleston and Southtown, viz., 24,447 females and 20,335 males (many men at sea not included).  Number of houses and buildings, 10,098.  The increase on the past ten years was 7,009.

April 19th.  The intelligence of the death this day of Earl Beaconsfield, in his 76th year, was received here with manifestations of sorrow.  The very first flag hoisted on the New Town Hall, was half-mast, and that in respect to the memory of the deceased.  This day is now known as “Primrose Day,” when the primrose is extensively used as a button-hole throughout the nation.

April 19th.  The Rev. Bowyer Vaux, M.A., presented with a massive chased silver tea tray, together with an address on vellum, by the congregation of St. Peter’s Church, as a token of esteem, he having been minister there for 35 years.

April 28th.  Opening of the New Organ at the Temple.  It was built by Mr. W. C. Mack, of this town.

May 1st.  Boat accident on Breydon, when William Hawkins.  John McPhee, and Louis Feekins lost their lives by being drowned.

May 5th.  Inspector Brogden elected Chief Constable for the Borough on the resignation of Mr. Joseph Ogden.

May 7th.  Col.-Sergt. Fenton, E.N.M., presented with a silver cup by his late Captain, Major Lacon, for efficient services.

May 11th.  The new Northgate Board Schools, in Ramp Row, opened.  The site is 195 ft. by 150 ft., and the buildings, of red brick, set in dark mortar joints, are of a Gothic character.  They cost, with fittings, legal expenses, &c., £5,660, and will accommodate 610 children.

May.  On the removal of Mr. J. W. Keogh, collector of Customs at this port, Mr. J. Robertson was promoted to Yarmouth.

June 8th.  The magnificent three-mast steam yacht “Northumbria,” 456 tons, belonging to Lord Lonsdale, came into harbour, and was inspected by the Prince of Wales.  Her crew comprised 25 hands.

June 9th to 11th.  The third visit to Yarmouth of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, who was joined here by H.R.H. the Duke of Cambridge, K.G., and other distinguished visitors.  (See June 6th, 1882.)

June 10th.  The Rev. E. C. Kemp, M.A., Incumbent of St. George’s Chapel, died at Yarmouth, aged 87.  Dr. J. J. Raven, head master of the Grammar School, succeeded him as minister.

June 18th.  W. Brewer’s Spanish bitch had a litter of 11 pups, and the previous Nov. she had 12, making 28 in 8 months.

June 18th.  E. A. Ducket and F. H. S. Raven took their B.A. degrees at Cambridge.

June.  The Lord Chancellor of England appointed Francis Roxburgh, Esq., Q.C., to be the Judge of the County Courts of the district, in place of S. B. Bristowe, Esq., Q.C., transferred.

June 18th.  The smack “Excellent” lost on the Dutch coast.

June 27th.  Isaac Hill, T. Saul, L. Blake, and A. Palmer, Esqs., took the oath as Borough Magistrates.

July.  Mr. C. J. Wiltshire, son of C. H. Wiltshire, Esq., passed the intermediate examination of the Law Society.

July 9th.  Review of nearly 60,000 Volunteers in Windsor Park by the Queen and other members of the Royal Family.  Eleven officers and 309 men of the Yarmouth Corps attended.  The Duke of Cambridge, Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar, Sir Garnet Wolseley, and others rode down the lines.

July 12th.  New Grand Stand, South Denes, first opened.  (See Sept. 18th, 1880.)

July 14th.  The wife of Mr. A. E. Blagg, Market Row, unfortunately knocked down and killed by a railway truck while passing over the level crossing on the Southtown Road.

July 19th.  John Worlledge, Esq., late County Court Judge, died at Brooklyn, Ipswich, aged 72 years.  (See June 31st, 1880.)

July 19th.  The Duke of Argyle and Admiral Hamilton landed here from the Trinity yacht “Galatea.”

July 23rd.  Another fire at Mr. R. Kemp’s premises at Gorleston, and damage estimated at £2,000; also on Dec. 8th (the sixth) on fishing premises.

July.  The new valuation lists completed, and the town re-assessed, much to the dissatisfaction of many ratepayers.  Oct. 3rd.  Messrs. Lacons’ brewery assessed at £2,100 gross, on an estimated rental of £1,400.  The brewery occupies la. 0r. 25p.  On an appeal before the Recorder in June, 1882, these sums were reduced.

July.  Mr. A. E. Gunton passed his preliminary examination in Pharmacy.

July 28th.  Mr. Thos. Womack Branford, boat builder and inventor of a plan for speedily launching a boat from a ship’s deck, died at Burgh, aged 72 years.

July 28th.  Mr. A. W. Morant died at Leeds, aged 53 years.  (See March, 1856.)

Aug. 22nd.  The Market tolls let by auction for five years to Mr. Percy, of London, at £970 per annum.  They had let hitherto for £925 a year.

Sept. 17th.  A viper, 25 inches long, killed at Caister, and found to have a common rat in its stomach.

Sept. 22nd.  Captain Brown, 2nd N.R.V., presented with a handsome marble and bronze clock and a pair of bronzes to match, as a memento of esteem on his retirement from the corps.

Sept. 22nd.  Rev. C. M. Hardy, B.A., ordained the minister of the Park Baptist Chapel in place of Rev. W. Vincent.

Sept. 29th.  Mr. W. P. Creak, T.C., presented with a silver épergne by the teachers and officers of the Free Church Sunday School.

Oct. 9th.  St. Nicholas’ Church again broken into, and the contents of the collection boxes rifled.  (See May 22nd, 1880.)

Oct. 14th.  Heavy gale, great destruction of property, and about 120 men and boys lost at sea.  Nov. 26th we were visited with another gale.

Oct.  The Town Council discussed the advisability of raising £30,000 by shares for carrying out a new dock scheme.

Oct. 31st.  The Royal Aquarium put up to public auction, but withdrawn.  It was subsequently purchased for £5,000 by Messrs. F. Carpenter, William Barnard, S. Gunton, and O. Diver.  (See July 2nd, 1883.)

Nov. 11th.  The s.s. “Fairy,” plying between this port and the Tyne, sunk off Flamborough Head, the result of a collision.

Nov.  A challenge trophy provided for the 1st N.A.V.  It is an excellent model, value 50 guineas, representing a 64-pounder M.L.R. gun on a temporary sleigh.  (See Challenge cup, 1883.)

Nov.  A mackerel, 20 in. long, 10½ in. girth, and weighing 2¾ lbs., and another 17 inches long, brought in from sea.

Dec. 10th.  Fire on board the fishing boat “Eureka” at the Fish Wharf, causing the death of one of the crew.

Dec.  The wife of Police-constable Allcock gave birth to triplets.

Dec. 29th.  Edward Killington, formerly of this town, died in London, and bequeathed £1,000 to St. John’s Church, £500 to Sailors’ Home, £300 to Yarmouth Hospital, and £100 to National Lifeboat Institution.

The Great Eastern Railway conveyed in 1881 more fish inland than any other line, viz., 60,314 tons, and this town, among the ports it serves, provided the largest supply.  By rail from Yarmouth, 32,696 tons; in 1879, 28,263; and in 1880, 31,238.  In 1881, Lowestoft sent 23,019 tons.

Launches: Jan. 4th, smack “Serapis;” March 14th, the fishing boats “Young Florence” and the “William;” Aug. 2nd, the cutter “Gorleston;” Sept. 5th, smack “Success.”

Marriages: July 13th, James Hurry, son of the late Nathaniel Palmer, Esq., to Miss Ellen Boardman, of Stratford.—July 19th, Rev. D. W. Evans to Miss Alice Graham Lacon.—Oct. 4th, Edward P., son of P. E. Back, Esq., to Miss Ellen R. Shales.

Deaths: Jan. 5th, R. S. Watling, Esq., J.P., aged 70.—March 16th, Herr A. S. Dorla, bandmaster of the P.W.O.  Artillery Militia, aged 61.—April 15th, Charles Venables, brother of the Vicar of Yarmouth, at Taplow, aged 61.—April 17th, Eliza, wife of K. Harvey, Esq., and daughter of the late Sir Edward K. Lacon, Bart., M.P., at Bath, aged 75.—April 19th, Judith, wife of James Hurry Palmer, Esq., aged 62.—Oct. 10th, Harriet, widow of the late Graham Lacon, Esq.—Nov. 12th, Mr. H. Hunt, watchmaker, Broad Row, aged 87.

Jan. 2nd.  Mr. Henry H. Baker, town surveyor for nearly 20 years, died, aged 52 years.  He succeeded Mr. Morant on his resignation in Nov., 1864.  On Feb. 14th, Mr. J. W. Cockrill was appointed town surveyor.

Jan. 9th.  First annual tea given to 600 aged poor people at the Drill Hall, inaugurated by Mr. T. C. Foreman.

Jan. 30th.  James Hall, better known as “Jigger” Hall, died in the workhouse.  He was one put upon his trial with Mapes and Royal for the murder of Mrs. Chandler, and acquitted.  Hall was the last survivor of the accused.  (See Nov. 18th, 1844.)

Jan. 31st.  Silver wedding day of Mr. C. Woolverton celebrated by a dinner to his workpeople.

Feb. 18th.  Rev. G. Venables, S.C.L., vicar of Yarmouth, was collated and instituted by the Bishop of Norwich to the office or place of an Honorary Canon in the Cathedral Church at Norwich, vacant by the death of the Rev. W. F. Patteson.

Feb. 28th.  Loss of the steamer “Livadia” (1,447 tons) on the Middle Cross Sands, and 24 of her crew drowned, the boatman (Thomas Sewell, brother of the captain of the local tug “United Service”) being the only survivor, who was bravely rescued by theGorleston Volunteer Lifeboat “Revenge.”  A subscription was made for the 14 lifeboatmen by Mrs. Bowler, who gave them each one guinea, and the National Institution awarded £20.  On March 12th, a lifeboat, marked “Livadia,” was picked up in the North Sea with three dead bodies in it.

March 2nd.  Hannah Sarah, relict of the late T. Brightwen, Esq., died at Fritton, aged 73 years.  Deceased’s personal estate was sworn under £50,000.  She bequeathed £6,000 to the perpetual endowments of St. Andrew’s and St. James’ Churches; £500 to the Yarmouth Hospital, and numerous legacies to friends and dependants.

March.  A leather bag, containing cheques and documents, value £6,000, dredged up at sea by the smack “Nelson,” of this port.  The bag was lost out of the steamer “Annie Arbib,” which foundered in the North Sea in Nov., 1881.

March 6th.  A “scene” in the Police Court over the appeals against the Poor-rate.  Six magistrates left the Bench, and a “warm discussion” ensued.

March.  E. W. Worlledge, Esq., appointed by the Lord Chancellor to be a Commissioner to administer oaths in the Supreme Court of Judicature.

March.  Mr. F. E. Bowler presented with a handsome timepiece and an illuminated address by the assistants in Messrs. Chamberlins and Co.’s establishment, as a token of esteem on his 50th birthday.

March 31st.  The Rev. A. R. Abbott, B.A., instituted to the vicarage and parish church of Gorleston and Southtown, on his own petition.

April 3rd.  Fire in Mr. S. Randell’s stock room, Market Row.  Damage about £30.

April 29th.  Heavy gale, which played sad havoc among the fishing craft, those entirely lost with all hands including the “Jester,” “Phœnix,” and “Olive Leaf.”

April.  Mr. A. Linder, of this town, chosen pier-master at Skegness, out of 76 candidates.  On May 5th he was presented with a purse of £18 13s., as a mark of respect by the patrons of the Wellington Pier.

May 9th.  The Town Council moved addresses of congratulation to the Duke and Duchess of Albany on their marriage on April 27th; and congratulation to the Queen.

May 18th.  The Wellington Pier sold by auction to Mr. Chappell for £890, but through some discrepancy in the transfer the bid was withdrawn.

May 18th.  Launch at Southtown of a new iron paddle boat, 100 ft. long, breadth 14 ft. 2 in., depth 7 ft., and owned by Mr. R. J. Blyth.  It was built by Mr. H. E. Wright, Yare-side Iron Works, and Miss Wright christened it “Jumbo.”

May 30th.  H.R.H. the Prince of Wales paid a fourth visit to this town, and left on June 2nd.

May 31st.  Opening of the New Town Hall and Municipal Buildings by the Prince of Wales, the ceremony being on a very grand scale.  Three hundred and fifty guests were invited to thedéjeuner, including the Mayor of Yarmouth and the Lord Mayor of London, Lords Aylesford, Suffield, Rendlesham, and Carpington; Sir H. Clifford, Sir E. Lacon, Sir H. Bedingfield, Sir R. J. Buxton, Sir T. Boileau, Sir T. Beevor, Admiral Sir H. Keppel, Colonel Teesdale, E. Birkbeck, Esq., &c.  In the evening there a grand display of fireworks on the Britannia Pier.  The Hall was designed by J. B. Pearce, Esq., and the contractors Messrs. J. W. Lacey, of Norwich.  The total cost was £35,764, as follows:—Building contract, £26,200; extras on building, new works, and fittings, £4,442 11s. 1d.; architect’s commission, £1,705 10s. 9d.; Clerk of Works, £417 5s.; Norman and Son, furniture and fittings, £1,177 7s. 9d.; Mr. Finch, ditto, £592 1s. 5d.; Chamberlins and Co., linoleum, £351 9s.; Aldred and Son, clock, £361 15s.; Mr. Keable, blinds, £26 15s. 3d.; Ellis and Son, mats, £22 15s. 10d.; decorations, opening ceremony, £28; premiums on designs for Town Hall, £70; foundation stone and the laying, £46 5s. 1d.; expenses of opening ceremony, £38 9s. 4d.; travelling expenses to inspect other Town Halls, £29 5s. 4d.; solicitor to H.M.’s Treasury, £17 6s. 10d.; miscellaneous charges and expenses, £239 14s. 6d.  (See April 20th, 1880.)

May 31st.  John Mooring, captain of the maintop of H.M.S. “Thunderer,” at the Battle of Trafalgar, died at the Yarmouth Naval Hospital, aged 102 years.

May.  The Union Railway, from the Beach Station to the North Quay, completed.

May.  Surgeon-Major C. C. Aldred resigned after 29 years his commission in the 2nd Brigade (E.D.) Royal Artillery.  On April 24th, 1883, Mr. Aldred was presented with a pair of silver cups, on which was inscribed:—“Presented to Surgeon-Major Aldred, on his retirement from the regiment, by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, K.G., and the officers who have served and are serving in the P.W.O.  Norfolk Artillery Militia.”  (See June 28th, 1884.)

May.  Capt. Combe, promoted to the rank of Major in the 2nd Norfolk Rifle Corps.

May.  Count Bismarck, son of Prince Bismarck, visited Yarmouth.

June 7th.  Thos. George Wooden (15) died through being crashed by the buffer of a railway carriage at the Southtown Station.

July 17th.  Mr. S. J. B. Batchelder, hon. sec. of Court Star of West (A.O.F.), presented with a marble clock and an illuminated list of subscribers for several years good service.

July 25th.  Mr. J. T. Waters, ten years choir master of St. James’ Church, presented with a handsome silver keyless chronometer.

July 27th.  Sham fight between 2,000 men belonging to the Royal Naval Reserves, 1st Norfolk Artillery, and 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Norfolk Rifles on the North Denes, in the presence of 2,000 or 3,000 people.

Aug. 18th.  John Bracey, Esq., J.P., T.C., whilst out celebrating his 52nd birthday, with his family, at Fritton, died suddenly.  On Dec. 13th, the mother of the above, and wife of J. T. Bracey, Esq., died, aged 68.  (See April 19th, 1859.)

Sept. 5th.  The Army and Navy Tavern, Blackfriars’ Road, sold by auction for £2,100, and £68 fixtures.

Sept. 5th.  Commander Parker, R.N., presented with a handsome silver and polished oak salad bowl as a mark of esteem by the Caister Life-Saving Volunteer Corps; and on Sept. 23rd, the Gorleston L.S.V.C. gave him a marble timepiece and bronze ornaments; and Commander Parker presented the chief officer with a beautiful clock, and chief boatman Bridgeland with a book, “The World of Wit and Humour.”

Sept. 29th.  £11,247 8s. 8d. had been expended on the Gorleston Spur Breakwater.  £6,000 more required to complete the work.

Sept. 30th.  This being the eve of the 88th birthday of the veteran ringer, Thomas Gooch, a merry peal was rung on the Parish Church bells.  (See Aug. 27th, 1883.)

Sept.  The council decided to allow the Tolhouse Hall to be retained by the Archæological Society, as a monument of antiquity, and the trustees subsequently accepted Mr. R. Davy’s contract (£485) for its restoration.

Oct. 3rd.  St. John’s Church organ, after being enlarged and renovated by Mr. W. C. Mack, was opened.  It has two manuals CC to F 54 notes, and pedal CCC to F 30 notes; 18 stops and 726 pipes, viz.:—Great organ, 408 pipes, swell, 288, and pedal, 30.  The anchor lashed to a cross on the front panel of the case was designed by Mr. Chas. Harrison (a local artist of wide-spread popularity), and carved by Mr. Homes.

Oct. 10th and 11th.  Board of Trade Fisheries Enquiry at the Town Hall, by Messrs. C. M. Norwood, M.P., E. Birkbeck, M.P., E. Heneage, M.P., Alderman Leak (Mayor of Hull), and T. Gray, sec. of the Marine Department.

Oct. 11th.  St. George’s Chapel re-opened after extensive renovation, inside and out, at a total cost of £1,700.

Oct. 20th.  Mr. G. R. Ceiley rewarded by the Humane Society for bravely saving the lives of James Simonds at Yarmouth, and four persons at Lowestoft.

Oct. 23rd.  Cabmen’s shelter placed on the Hall Quay.

Oct. 24th.  Heavy gale.  Loss of the lugger “Edward and Ellen,” smack “Nancy,” the Yarmouth brigantine “Let me Alone,” and ketch “Hannah.”

Oct. 26th.  The wife of Capt. Bunn presented with an elegant silver épergne, as a wedding present, by the A Company Rifle Volunteers, out of respect to their captain.

Oct. 28th.  Gale of great severity, and another on Nov. 14th, when the brig “Kettland” came ashore on the South Beach, and great bravery was displayed by the Gorleston lifeboat, and also Mr. Lloyd, Inspector of Naval Reserve, in rescuing the crew.  Commander Poynder presented Lloyd with two medals.  Fifty fishermen were lost during the late gales, together with the fishing dandies “Sceptre,” “Silver Streak,” “Children’s Friend,” “Ich Dien,” &c., leaving 14 widows and 44 orphans.

In Yarmouth there are 621 fishing boats, 333 being smacks and the remainder luggers; their value is £372,000, and their nets and gear, £100,000 more.  Their owners number 498, and crews 5,160.  Scotch boats 800, and 120 smacks from Gorleston.  Value of fish caught by trawlers of this port, £325,000.  Number of herrings caught in five years, 71,458 lasts, which at an average of £10 a last gives a total of £714,580.  The Corporation had up to date spent £34,916 in building the fishwharf, offices, &c., which latter let for £1,438 a year.  Trawl fish caught in 1877, 11,863 packages; 1878, 39,508; 1879, 31,072; 1880, 28,400; 1881, 24,003.  The dues were as follows:—In 1877, £1,574 on herring, and £59 on trawl fish; 1878, £846 herring, £164 trawl; 1879, £978 herring, £129 trawl; 1880, £1,163 herring, £118 trawl, 1881, £1,393 herring, and £100 trawl.

Nov. 11th.  Mrs. Harriet Vade, wife of R. H. V. Walpole, of Yarmouth, and Suffolk Hall, Cheltenham, died.

Nov.  £3,349 14s. 4d. spent about the erection and fittings of new nave of St. James’ Church.

Nov. 20th.  The steamtug “Andrew Woodhouse” sold for £90.

Nov. 21st.  J. C. Smith, Esq., elected Alderman of the Borough in place of the late Wm. Worship, Esq.  Seventeen voted for Mr. Smith, and 11 for Mr. E. Worlledge.

Oct. 20th.  The Swedish man-of-war frigate “Vanadis,” in the Roadstead; and on 26th, German war-ship “Leipzic,” 16 guns and 483 men.

Oct. 23rd.  Fires at Mrs. Rigg’s wool shop, St. Peter’s Row, E; Nov. 16th at Mr. Jas.  Ayers’ fishing premises, S. Market Road; Nov. 23rd, at Mr. H. Fenner’s, steam tannery works, S. Denes Road; Nov. 24th at Mr. Wigg’s jewellery shop, Regent Street; Dec. 10th, the net chamber of Mr. Hellenburgh, Ordnance Road; and at Mr. G. B. Palmer’s, Market Place.

Nov. 9th.  Mr. F. Arnold presented with an elaborate salad bowl and pair of silver ladles on the opening of the Park Young Men’s Institute.

Nov.  Rev. E. Venables appointed to the church and district of St. John’s the Evangelist, Drury Lane, London.

Nov. 12th.  Wm. Worship, Esq., solicitor, died at Ormesby, aged 70 years.  £1,000 was subsequently subscribed by the town for the founding of a scholarship at the Yarmouth Grammar School to perpetuate his memory.

The fishing smack “John Cooper” sunk by a steamer, and one man drowned.

1,028 lbs. 13 ozs. of tobacco (value £284 8s. 9d.) smuggled into Yarmouth during the year.

This year 99,422 coins were collected for various objects in the Parish Church, viz., 36,816 half-pence, 36,817 pennies, 10,756 threepenny pieces, 300 fourpenny pieces, 9,872 sixpences, 4,061 shillings, 412 florins, 289 half-crowns,nilcrowns, 68 half-sovereigns, 28 sovereigns, and three notes.  Total amount, £1,038 14s. 7d.

One thousand eight hundred and fifty plaints entered in the County Court for sums amounting to £10,639.  In 1881, 2,591 plaints for £12,967.

Launches: March 7th, a steam launch launched from the Yare-side Iron Works; March 30th, smack “Morning Star”; July 4th, fishing boat “Muscotte.”

Marriages: Feb. 28th, Alexander Mitchell, Esq., M.D., to Ellen Eugénie Ramsdale, of E. Dereham; April 10th, Mr. W. H. Kempton, of London, to Miss H. M. Gamble; Mr. E. S. Brown to Miss A. M. Ulph, in London; April 6th, Mr. T. Ambrose Palmer to Miss E. J. Sheewan; June 8th, Mr. F. H. Smith, of Bradwell, to Miss Grace Dendy, of Gorleston.

Deaths: Jan., Henry B. Thompson, serjeant-at-mace and bellman, aged 65; March 25th, Caroline Louisa Bartlett, widow of Capt. H. J. Lacon, R.N., at Ipswich; March 31st, Mr. W. A. Hardingham, 45 years in the service of Messrs. Grout and Co., aged 59; May 4th, Mr. R. Dumbleton, ex-Town Councillor, aged 63; May 18th, Mr. W. R. P. Dick, senior cashier at Messrs. Lacon’s Bank, aged 50; Aug. 12th, Mr. John Clowes, grocer, aged 73; Sept. 24th, Chas. John Palmer, Esq., F.S.A., aged 78; Dec. 17th, Wm. Johnson, Esq., J.P., at Caister, aged 82.

Jan. 2nd.  Frederick Redgrave (8), of Row 122, fell under the wheels of a railway truck on South Quay, and both his legs had to be amputated. £52 9s. 9d. was collected for his benefit.

Jan.  Mr. Fisher’s smack “Reindeer” lost.

Jan. 23rd.  Schooners “Jim Crow” and “Try,” of this port, stranded and became total wrecks.

Jan. 24th.  Mr. James Brown, Beach Station Master, presented by the staff employed on the railway, with a silver-mounted inkstand and pencil case, on his birthday.

Jan. 24th.  Very low tide, the water being 3 ft. 10 in. below zero, and 6 ft. 2 in. on the bar.

Jan. 25th.  St. Paul’s Mission Church opened.

Feb.  Mr. R. S. C. Keymer appointed organist of Gorleston Church.

Feb.  A pike, weighing 20 lbs., caught at Horsey Mere.

Feb.  Mr. F. W. Rolfe, organist, presented with a handsome timepiece by the choir of St. Peter’s Church.

March 1st.  The upper and lower ferries let by auction for five years to Mr. A. Green, at the annual rent of £780, viz., lower, £410; upper (with cottage), £370.

March 6th.  Heavy gale and high tide, the drive being inundated, and some of the boats “moored” at the lamp posts.  Part of the Jetty was torn up, and “Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” under the Britannia Pier, made a complete wreck.  The water was 21 or 22 ft. on the bar, and there was a flood tide in the harbour for 21 hours.  Several trawlers were lost, including the “Musquito,” “Sea Flower,” “Clarence,” “Reaper,” and “Muscotte,” and 36 lives, leaving 15 widows and 16 children.  £132 19s. 8d. was contributed by the Mansion House Fund.  Mr. W. P. Brown’s brig “Mary” was lost on the following day with her crew.

March 11th.  Major John Gillespie, 31st Brigade Depôt, died, and on 15th was buried with grand military honours in the Cemetery.  About 500 of the military and 50 officers were present.  Three military bands (including 9th from Colchester, 54), played at intervals, and thousands of civilians lined the streets.

March 12th.  New Railway line from Yarmouth to Acle opened for traffic.

March 22nd.  The iron gates leading to the Parish Church knocked down by a horse.

March 24th.  The three-masted schooner “Orienten” (6,500 deals), stranded south of Wellington Pier.

April 5th.  The property of the Earl of Lichfield at Southtown (26 lots, including the “Nine Houses”) sold, by auction for £10,699.

April.  Mr. George Dowey, station master (G.E.R.), resigned his position after 25 years’ service, and on Oct. 25th was presented with £100 by 150 subscribers.

April 26th.  Lord Suffield presented Bat.-Sergt. Major Quince with a clasp from the Royal Humane Society, and Mr. G. Ceiley with a bronze medal for their bravery in saving lives.

April 28th.  James Sutton (64), gate-keeper at a level crossing on the Eastern and Midlands Railway near Hemsby, knocked down by a goods train and killed, while in the act of opening the gates at 9.20 p.m.

April.  The Great Yarmouth Yacht Club established.

May 3rd.  An elegant liqueur stand with three glasses presented to Mr. H. Pechey, at the Aquarium, by the Winter Assembly Class.

May 5th.  Smack “Falcon,” on the North Sand, and crew bravely rescued by the Gorleston National lifeboat crew.

May 12th.  The International Fisheries Exhibition in London opened by the Prince of Wales, E. Birkbeck, Esq., M.P., as president, taking especial interest in the show.  Many exhibits were contributed by local gentlemen.  Exhibition closed Oct. 31st, 2,703,051 persons, exclusive of 20,000 on the opening day, having visited it during the season.

May 18th.  Mr. E. W. Worlledge elected as Alderman in place of the late Mr. J. T. Bracey.

May 19th.  A handsome timepiece presented by Major Dods and officers and men of the Gorleston Coastguard to Chief-boatman Bridgeland.

May 20th.  Rev. E. A. Ducket, B.A., ordained at Wells Cathedral, and licensed to a Curacy at Tiverton-on-Avon.

May.  Regent Street paved with blocks of wood, and afterwards a part of King Street.

May 31st.  Sergt.-Major Williams, 18 years drill sergeant in 2nd N.R.V., presented with an illuminated address and £35 on his retirement.

May 31st.  About 30 yards of palisading and wall on the west side of the churchyard fell down.

June 2nd.  Gas explosion in Apsley Terrace.  The windows, doors, &c., were completely shattered, and Mr. Rushmer, who entered the drawing room with a lighted candle, was severely injured.

June 5th.  Mr. James Ling, relieving officer of Gorleston, appointed registrar of births and deaths in place of the late Dr. Arnott.

June 6th.  Mr. Robert Lane, 15 years lessee of the ferries, presented with a ten-guinea silver cup and an illuminated address by his respected patrons.

June 8th.  Singing platform on the beach let for £210; and in 1884 for £150 to Mr. Chappell.

June.  First prize meeting of the Yarmouth Golf Club.

June.  The old Borough Gaol sold for £170 12s.

July 2nd.  The Royal Aquarium opened by the Mayor, after its being nearly rebuilt and beautifully decorated at a cost of about £10,000.  The event was celebrated by a luncheon and concert given by Madame Alice Barth’s Opera Company.  The grand hall is 115 ft. by 60 ft., and 44 ft. high; and the minor hall 80 ft. by 38 ft., and 23 ft. high.  The south front is faced with buff terra-cotta, the style Italian, freely treated.  Messrs. Bottle and Olley were the architects, and Messrs. Cork and Beach and Mr. B. Springall, building contractors.  (See Oct. 31st, 1881.)  The same builders contracted for the new Board School, Church Road, Gorleston, on July 17th, at £4,348.

July 4th.  C. C. Aldred, Esq., sworn as a Magistrate for the County of Norfolk.  (See June 28th, 1884.)

July.  Corporal S. J. Batchelder, 2nd N.R.V., won the champion medal of Norfolk at Norwich.

July.  Invalid shelter on South Parade ordered by the Council.  Cost £60.

July 9th.  Retired Commander Francis Harris, R.N., a Trafalgar veteran, died at Southtown, and buried at Gorleston.  He was born May 17th, 1795, and was 11 years old when the great battle was fought.  He entered the Navy as First-class Volunteer on board the “Téméraire;” was at the battle of Trafalgar with his father, at the defence of Cadiz until Feb., 1811; removed to the “Unité;” assisted at the capture in 1811 of the French store ship “Dromédaire,” 800 tons; in the following May, in the same frigate, in company with the “Pemone” and “Scout,” at the destruction of the “Giraffe” and “Nourrice.”  He participated in many boat affairs in the Adriatic; and in the same ship shared in a partial action, fought, 13th Feb., 1814, with the Toulon fleet, under Sir E. Pellew.  He was advanced to the rank of Lieutenant in 1815, and made Commander in 1860.  TheGraphic, March 1st, 1879, published the portraits of the then seven survivors, including Commander Harris and Admiral Spencer Smyth, of this town.

July 13th.  Sydney Stalley (20) drowned on Oulton Broad.

July 17th.  Columbia Fish Market, London (built some ten years ago by the Baroness Burdett-Coutts, at a cost of £300,000), re-opened, to which large quantities of fish are consigned from Yarmouth.

July 22nd.  On Sunday a man (name unknown) hung himself on one of the trees on Trafalgar Road, near the Grammar School.

Aug. 1st.  The “Duke’s Head” and Corn Hall let by auction for seven years to Mr. Seaman at an annual rent of £460.

Aug. 23rd.  Mr. A. E. Welch saved a gentleman from drowning, and received a testimonial from the Royal Humane Society; and in Sept. Rev. G. Wilson and J. W. Duffield were similarly recognised for their bravery.

Aug. 29th.  Messrs. Ferrier and Co.’s brewery, Middlegate Street, with plant, machinery, residence, &c., also 21 public-houses and beerhouses, sold in one lot for £15,750 (exclusive of £669 for rolling stock).

Sept. 2nd.  Very heavy gale.

Sept.  An elegant obelisk, 24 ft. high, erected in the churchyard at the north-east corner of the Parish Church.  It is made of polished red Aberdeen granite, resting on die and steps of the same beautiful stone, while under these is a massive grey granite platform, a single block, 9½ ft. square, surrounded with posts of like material, and rails of shining gun metal.  It is erected by Mrs. Mills, of Nelson Road, to the memory of George J. Mills (died Nov. 6th, 1827, aged 37), and other members of her family.  (See April, 1878.)

Sept. 17th.  Steamer “Isis” stranded on Hasbro’.

Sept. 22nd.  Rev. Henry Stebbings, D.D., F.R.S., died in London.  He was born at Yarmouth in 1799, took his degree of B.A. at Cambridge in 1828, and ordained by Bishop Bathurst.  He was the first editor of theAthenæum, and wrote the “Lives of the Italian Poets.”

Oct. 5th.  Batt.-Sergt. Major Quince presented with a handsome timepiece by the pupils in his swimming class, in recognition of his kindness to them.

Oct. 22nd.  Destructive fire on the premises of Messrs. Robert Yaxley and John Beckett, and total demolition of the intended Salvation Army barracks.  It broke out about 6 p.m., and the group of buildings, comprising fish and tan houses, stable, net stores, &c., were soon one mass of ruins.  On Nov. 1st £100 worth of damage by fire was done to Messrs. S. K. Smith and Son’s fishing premises, on St. Peter’s Road.

Nov.  Remarkable sunsets, the western horizon night after night being resplendent, the sky changing from pale orange to blood red.

Nov. 19th.  Smack “Puss” lost in the North Sea, through collision; and on Dec. 28th the fishing boat “Raven” collided with the “Daylight,” and sunk.

Nov. 27th.  Mad pranks of a bull belonging to Mr. Southgate.  It entered Mr. Harrison’s grocer’s shop in the Market, injuring one of the assistants and damaging the goods.  Afterwards running down Regent Street and along the Hall Quay, it found its way to the Broad Row, where it smashed windows and did other injury, till being secured by a rope round a lamp-post, it was killed, and the carcase removed on a cart.  The inhabitants were much terrified, and tradesmen quickly closed their shops.

Dec. 4th.  William Holt, Esq., Magistrates’ Clerk and Borough Coroner, died, aged 57 years.

Dec. 4th.  Mr. C. A. Goodwin passed a very successful examination as second mate at the London Local Marine Board.

Dec. 4th.  Gale and heavy thunderstorm.

Dec. 5th.  Mr. Charles Diver resigned his seat in the Council for Regent Ward, and paid the £25 fine; and Mr. Walter Brown was elected to the seat on 24th, by 224 votes, or 52 more than Mr. F. Burton.  On Dec. 11th Mr. Diver was appointed Borough Coroner, and Dec. 13th as Magistrates’ Clerk.  (See June 24th, 1869, and Jan. 8th, 1884.)

Dec. 8th.  John Reeve (38), of Hopton, fell off a load of hay in Gorleston, and died from injuries received.

Dec. 9th.  William Jackson, porter on the Eastern and Midlands Railway, at Yarmouth, was run over by a railway carriage, and one of his legs was subsequently amputated at the Hospital.

Dec. 11th and 12th.  Another destructive gale and very high tide, the wind blowing “great guns.”  Loss of Messrs. Bessey and Palmer’s “Francis” and three hands; the carrier steamer “Marie,” owned by the Baroness Burdett-Coutts, and all hands (12); also Mr. M. Barber’s brigantine “Susannah,” with a crew of four or five hands; and five smacks.  About 60 lives were lost in all.

Dec.  The season’s catch of herrings was 19,232 lasts.

Dec.  Sir Francis Roxburgh, Q.C., appointed Mr. John Etheridge Chief Clerk to the Registrar of the County Court.

Dec. 14th.  The derelict barque “Ulah” beached opposite the Nelson Monument.  Crew lost.

Dec.  W. N. Burroughs, Esq., gave a donation of £500 to the Yarmouth Hospital, and £500 to the Fishermen’s Hospital as a birthday present.  Mr. Burroughs died on April 12th, 1884.  (See June 11th, 1884.)

Dec. 22nd.  Chief Constable W. Brogden presented with a handsome gold keyless hunter watch by the Mayor, on behalf of the Race Committee, for his vigilant attention to duty.

Winners of the Ladies’ Challenge Cups in the Yarmouth Volunteer Corps:—2nd Norfolk Rifles.  As will be seen by the following list, Sergeant Buddery took the cup in 1883, after 24 years.

Pts.

1860.

J. H. Bly

12

1861.

H. Fenner

12

1862.

Col.-Sgt.  Chipperfield

17

1863.

Bugle-Major Fenner

16

1864.

G. W. N. Borrett

17

1865.

H. E. Pestell

30

1866.

Capt. E. P. Youell

45

1867.

Corp. A. Gunton

43

1868.

Corpl. Wilshak

47

1869.

Sergt. G. S. Pearson

45

1870.

A. J. Harpour

45

1871.

Corp. Wilshak

50

1872.

A. J. Harpour

43

1873.

Ar.-Sgt.-Wales

47

1874.

Wm. Hunt

44

1875.

Corp. Goddard

82

1876.

Wm. Hunt

80

1877.

Corp. Goddard

78

1878.

Corp. J. W. Cross

82

1879.

W. Barrett

82

1880.

Sergt. Goddard

88

1881.

Sergt. Buddery

90

1882.

„ „

80

1883.

„ „

65

1st Norfolk Artillery Volunteers: The cup was first shot for in 1869, and after 13 years became the sole property of Battery-Sergt.-Major R. B. Smith, as will be seen by the annexed list of winners:—

1869.

Lieut. H. H. Baker.

1870.

Sergt. G. H. Self.

1871.

1872.

Qr.-Master W. C. Mack.

1873.

Gunner Woodhouse.

1874.

Sergt. G. H. Sell.

1875.

Qr.-Master Sergt. Mack.

1876.

Qr.-Master Sgt. Mack.

1877.

Bt.-Sgt. Major Self.

1878.

„ ,, „

1879.

Sergt. R. B. Smith.

1880.

Bat.-Sergt.-Major R. B. Smith.

1881.

,, ,, ,,

Launches: Feb. 24th, fishing boat “Nell,” from Messrs. Castle’s yard; March 12th, smack “Sylvia;” March 19th, smack “Little Tom;” May 23rd, Messrs. Morgan’s yachts “Midge,” and June 6th, “Red White;” June 28th, steam tug “Yare,” from Messrs. Beeching’s yard; July 9th, smack “E. Birkbeck,” from Mr. Critton’s yard; July 30th, dandy trawlers “Boy Ben” and “New Spray;” Nov. 3rd, lifeboat “Covent Garden,” from Messrs. Beeching’s yard.

Marriages: Jan. 25th, Mr. G. D. Gowing, Norwich, to Miss E. S. Gambling, Southtown.—May 5th, Mr. E. B. Sewell to Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. John Caleb Fenn, of Gorleston.—July 24th, Rev. E. A. Ducket, B.A., to Miss Maria H. Denny.—June 19th, G. A. Ward, Esq., to Katherine Scott, fourth daughter of E. P. Youell, Esq.—July 20th, Arthur H., second son of R. B. B. Norman, Esq., surgeon, to Edith L. Stevens, of Norwich.—Aug. 9th, Mr. Wm. E. Bovill to Persis, daughter of J. P. Baumgartner, Esq.—Sept. 20th, Mr. C. R. St. Aubyn, of Gorleston, to Miss Annie Adelaide Arnott.—Oct. 22nd, Charles A. S. Ling, M.R.C.S., L.S.A., of Gorleston, to Miss Ada A. Cooper.—Nov. 6th, Rev. R. V. Barker, M.A., to Miss Palgrave.

Deaths: Jan. 2nd, Rev. J. Mangan, D.D., aged 46.—Jan. 30th, Mrs. Garwood B. Palmer, of Gorleston, aged 63.—Mr. T. E. Gray, ironmonger, aged 74.—May 1st.  Alderman J. T. Bracey, aged 82.—May 26th, Charles D. Arnott, Esq., M.D., at Gorleston, aged 62.—June 16th, Mr. G. S. F. Skoulding, T.C.,chemist.—June 25th, Mr. George Farrow, aged 81.—July 25th, Elizabeth Tolver, wife of the Rev. A. Hume, and daughter of the late Rev. Mark Waters.  July 27th, Mr. George Reginald Harmer, aged 28.—Aug. 3rd, Mr. Robert B. Moxon, aged 20.—Aug. 4th, Mary, relict of the late Samuel C. Marsh, aged 68.—Aug. 10th, Elizabeth Boyce Crisp, aged 27.—Aug. 27th, the veteran bellringer, Thomas Gooch, aged 88.—Nov. 3rd, Mr. Joseph Tomlinson, ex-Town Councillor, at Gorleston, aged 47.—Dec. 24th, F. H. S. Raven, B.A., son of Dr. Raven, aged 23.

Jan. 8th.  J. T. Waters, Esq., elected Borough Coroner in place of C. Diver, Esq., resigned.

Jan. 15th.  St. Andrew’s Hall, Gorleston, sold, including fittings and dwelling-house adjoining, for £430.

Jan. 23rd.  Heavy gale; and another on 26th, accompanied with a heavy thunderstorm.

Jan. 26th.  At midnight Mr. E. Bostock’s draper’s shop, King Street, burnt down, and stock-in-trade completely demolished; the Rose Tavern adjoining (occupied by Mr. W. Overed) was also partly destroyed by fire; at the same time part of Mr. Watts’ dyeing premises in Middlegate Street were in flames.

Jan.  Mr. Keymer, organist of Gorleston Church, presented with a handsome five-o’clock tea service by the choir.

The past winter, and during several previous, were among the mildest on record, snow and frost being scarcely seen.

Feb. 4th.  School Board Election.

Feb. 15th.  Boiler explosion at Mr. Nall’s steam printing works, Row 63.  Messrs. George Emmerson and John Hughes were severely scalded, and much damage was done to the building and machinery.

Feb. 16th.  Fire at Mr. G. Archard’s, King Street.

March.  The Rev. A. J. Spencer, M.A., prior to leaving the ministry at St. John’s Church for Hickley.  Leicestershire, was presented with several costly presents by his congregation, church helpers, &c.

March.  A clerical impostor, named John Lindsay, scripture reader connected with St. Peter’s Church, brought to bay, and subsequently imprisoned for solemnizing matrimony without a license.

March.  Mr. C. W. Moss, F.C.O., appointed organist of St. Peter’s Church.

April 1st.  Mr. Wm. Albrow, 14 years hon. sec. of the Market Ward Conservative Association, presented with a handsome ormolu clock under glass shade, by the members.

April 2nd.  A young cow visited the shop of Mr. Baird, Regent Street, but being no judge of leather left without giving an order.  Prior to this, Mr. F. Norris’ shop was visited by some sheep.

April 6th.  Fire at the Belvedere Tavern, Caister Road.

April 7th.  C. S. Orde, D. Tomkins, and F. Arnold, Esqs., sworn in as Borough Magistrates before the Recorder.

April 17th.  Fire at Mr. W. Wilkins’ net chamber and residence, Southtown.

April 22nd.  Destructive earthquake in East Anglia, but the shock was only slightly felt at Yarmouth, and no damage done.

May 15th.  Quarter-Master Cooke, 1st N.A.V., presented with a silver tankard and a four-o’clock tea service, by the past and present officers of the corps and other friends, on his retirement; also an illuminated address.

May 15th.  Wm. Smith attempted to murder his wife at Gorleston, and sentenced to 7 years’ imprisonment on July 25th.

May 21st to 23rd.  An Ohio Englyshe Fayre at the Town Hall.

May 28th.  The south transept of the Parish Church opened after restoration.  (See Dec. 3rd.)

June 11th.  The will of the late Mr. W. N. Burroughs proved, his personal estate amounting to over £11,000.  (See Dec., 1883.)

June 28th.  Chas. Cory Aldred, Esq., Deputy-Mayor, and five times Chief Magistrate of the Borough, died.  He was born March 21st, 1811, and for 40 years was a very prominent member of society.  To perpetuate his memory, his portrait, in robes, painted by Mr. J. B. Burgess, A.R.A., of Finchley Road, St. John’s Wood, and subscribed for by the town, is to be hung in the Town Hall.

June.  The Guardians issued bills in all the Wards with the names of defaulting ratepayers upon them, which led to much ridicule, and a public indignation meeting was called on June 25th.

July 5th.  Fire at Mr. Sharman’s, Regent Street.

Launches: Jan. 7th, the trawler “Ethel May;” Jan. 29th, smack “Sir Francis Burdett.”

Marriages: March 19th, Mr. W. Richardson, M.B., C.M., to Miss Helen S. Blake.—April 16th, Mr. R. P. Chamberlin, of Wroxham, to Miss Clara M. Wiltshire.

Deaths: Jan. 3rd, John Clarke, Esq., J.P., at Felbrigg; Jan. 9th, Quarter-Master Stembridge, P.W.O. Royal Artillery, aged 47; Jan. 3rd, Mr. Geo. M. Pulford, aged 80; Feb. 15th, Mr. H. H. Gambling, aged 60; Feb. 22nd, Mr. F. W. Rolfe, organist of St. Peter’s Church, aged 43; April 12th, W. N. Burroughs, Esq., aged 85; April 14th, Emma, widow of the late Robert Boyce Crisp, aged 68; April 16th, Arthur Palmer, Esq., J.P., aged 63; April 26th, J. S. Clowes, Esq., T.C., aged 35.

August.  The following is a list of persons who died in this Borough of 90 years and upwards:—1793, Matthew Champion, aged 111; 1854, Eleanor Warren, 102; 1855, Thomas Burgess, 94; 1860, Ann Mann, 96; 1861, Thornton Fisher, 91; 1865, Susannah Clark, 97; 1866, Edmund Clarke 95; 1868, Sarah Crockett, 99; 1869, John T. Buston, 90; 1870, John Meffin, 93; 1873, James Mitchell 99, Mary Ablitt, 95, Susan Baldwin 90, Rebecca Willemite, 90; 1874, Ann Kippon, 97; 1875, Catherine Pullyn 90; Mary Thomas 93, Mary Hall, 91; 1876, Sophia Ranall 90, Mary Ann Blyth, 90; 1877, John Smith 90, Barker Crisp 94, Elizabeth Bristow 91, Martha Bryanton, 91; 1878, Mrs. George Danby Palmer 91, Wm. Plummer 96, Sarah Kelf 92, John Van Hutton 102, Hannah Fountain 91, Susannah Newman 91, Ann Pidgeon 94, Sarah Porter, 94; 1879, Sarah Haw 91, Jane Haw 93, April 6th, Ann Parker 95; Elizabeth Fenn, 90, Elizabeth Farrow 92, Mary Francis 93, Elizabeth Warren 104 and 8 months; 1880, Margaret Henry, 96; 1881, Samuel Yarham 94, M. A. Crickmay 90, Ralph Newby, 93; 1882, Sarah Parker 91, John Mooring 102, Susannah Dye, 94; 1883, Elizabeth Wright 94, Wm. Tyrrell 92, Mary Hogg 91, Maria Manship 96, Lydia Bulley 90, Mary Errington, 92; 1884, Feb. 9th, James Kemp 90, Elizabeth Roberts 97, Sarah Gates 91, Elizabeth James 90, and Wm. Wood 91.


Back to IndexNext