Chapter 13

For the Lord Keeper Guilford see theLivesby the Hon. R. North, edited by A. Jessopp (1890); and E. Foss,The Judges of England, vol. vii. (1848-1864). For the prime minister, Lord North, seeCorrespondence of George III.with Lord North, edited by W. B. Donne (1867); Horace Walpole,Journal of the Reign of George III.(1859), andMemoirs of the Reign of George III., edited by G. F. R. Barker (1894); Lord Brougham,Historical Sketches of Statesmen, vol. i. (1839); Earl Stanhope,History of England(1858); Sir T. E. May,Constitutional History of England(1863-1865); and W. E. H. Lecky,History of England in the 18th century(1878-1890).

For the Lord Keeper Guilford see theLivesby the Hon. R. North, edited by A. Jessopp (1890); and E. Foss,The Judges of England, vol. vii. (1848-1864). For the prime minister, Lord North, seeCorrespondence of George III.with Lord North, edited by W. B. Donne (1867); Horace Walpole,Journal of the Reign of George III.(1859), andMemoirs of the Reign of George III., edited by G. F. R. Barker (1894); Lord Brougham,Historical Sketches of Statesmen, vol. i. (1839); Earl Stanhope,History of England(1858); Sir T. E. May,Constitutional History of England(1863-1865); and W. E. H. Lecky,History of England in the 18th century(1878-1890).

GUILFORD,a township, including a borough of the same name, in New Haven county, Connecticut, U.S.A., on Long Island Sound and at the mouth of the Menunkatuck or Westriver, about 16 m. E. by S. of New Haven. Pop. of the township, including the borough (1900), 2785, of whom 387 were foreign-born; (1910) 3001; pop. of the borough (1910), 1608. The borough is served by the New York, New Haven & Hartford railroad. On a plain is the borough green of nearly 12 acres, which is shaded by some fine old elms and other trees, and in which there is a soldiers’ monument. About the green are several churches and some of the better residences. On an eminence commanding a fine view of the Sound is an old stone house, erected in 1639 for a parsonage, meeting-house and fortification; it was made a state museum in 1898, when extensive alterations were made to restore the interior to its original appearance. The Point of Rocks, in the harbour, is an attractive resort during the summer season. There are about 12 ft. of water on the harbour bar at high tide. The principal industries of Guilford are coastwise trade, the manufacture of iron castings, brass castings, wagon wheels and school furniture, and the canning of vegetables. Near the coast are quarries of fine granite; the stone for the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty on Bedloe’s Island, in New York Harbour, was taken from them.

Guilford was founded In 1639 as an independent colony by a company of twenty-five or more families from Kent, Surrey and Sussex, England, under the leadership of Rev. Henry Whitfield (1597-1657). While still on shipboard twenty-five members of the company signed a plantation covenant whereby they agreed not to desert the plantation which they were about to establish. Arriving at New Haven early in July 1639, they soon began negotiations with the Indians for the purchase of land, and on the 29th of September a deed was signed by which the Indians conveyed to them the territory between East River and Stony Creek for “12 coates, 12 Fathoms of Wampam, 12 glasses (mirrors), 12 payer of shooes, 12 Hatchetts, 12 paire of Stockings, 12 Hooes, 4 kettles, 12 knives, 12 Hatts, 12 Porringers, 12 spoones, and 2 English coates.” Other purchases of land from the Indians were made later. Before the close of the year the company removed from New Haven and established the new colony; it was known by the Indian name Menuncatuck for about four years and the name Guilford (from Guildford, England) was then substituted. As a provisional arrangement, civil power for the administration of justice and the preservation of the peace was vested in four persons until such time as a church should be organized. This was postponed until 1643 when considerations of safety demanded that the colony should become a member of the New Haven Jurisdiction, and then only to meet the requirements for admission to this union were the church and church state modelled after those of New Haven. Even then, though suffrage was restricted to church members, Guilford planters who were not church members were required to attend town meetings and were allowed to offer objections to any proposed order or law. From 1661 until the absorption of the members of the New Haven Jurisdiction by Connecticut, in 1664, William Leete (1611-1683), one of the founders of Guilford, was governor of the Jurisdiction, and under his leadership Guilford took a prominent part in furthering the submission to Connecticut, which did away with the church state and the restriction of suffrage to freemen. Guilford was the birthplace of Fitz-Greene Halleck (1790-1867), the poet; of Samuel Johnson (1696-1771), the first president of King’s College (now Columbia University); of Abraham Baldwin (1754-1807), prominent as a statesman and the founder of the University of Georgia; and of Thomas Chittenden, the first governor of Vermont. The borough was incorporated in 1815.

See B. C. Steiner,A History of the Plantation of Menunca-Tuck and of the Original Town of Guilford, Connecticut(Baltimore, 1897), andProceedings at the Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of the Settlement of Guilford, Connecticut(New Haven, 1889).

See B. C. Steiner,A History of the Plantation of Menunca-Tuck and of the Original Town of Guilford, Connecticut(Baltimore, 1897), andProceedings at the Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of the Settlement of Guilford, Connecticut(New Haven, 1889).

GUILLAUME, JEAN BAPTISTE CLAUDE EUGÈNE(1822-1905), French sculptor, was born at Montbard on the 4th of July 1822, and studied under Cavelier, Millet, and Barrias, at the École des Beaux-Arts, which he entered in 1841, and where he gained theprix de Romein 1845 with “Theseus finding on a rock his Father’s Sword.” He became director of the École des Beaux-Arts in 1864, and director-general of Fine Arts from 1878 to 1879, when the office was suppressed. Many of his works have been bought for public galleries, and his monuments are to be found in the public squares of the chief cities of France. At Rheims there is his bronze statue of “Colbert,” at Dijon his “Rameau” monument. The Luxembourg Museum has his “Anacreon” (1852), “Les Gracques” (1853), “Faucheur” (1855), and the marble bust of “Mgr Darboy”; the Versailles Museum the portrait of “Thiers”; the Sorbonne Library the marble bust of “Victor le Clerc, doyen de la faculté des lettres.” Other works of his are at Trinity Church, St Germain l’Auxerrois, and the church of St Clotilde, Paris. Guillaume was a prolific writer, principally on sculpture and architecture of the Classic period and of the Italian Renaissance. He was elected member of the Académie Française in 1862, and in 1891 was sent to Rome as director of the Académie de France in that city. He was also elected an honorary member of the Royal Academy, London, 1869, on the institution of that class.

GUILLAUME DE LORRIS(fl. 1230), the author of the earlier section of theRoman de la rose, derives his surname from a small town about equidistant from Montargis and Gien, in the present department of Loiret. This and the fact of his authorship may be said to be the only things positively known about him. The rubric of the poem, where his own part finishes, attributes Jean de Meun’s continuation to a period forty years later than William’s death and the consequent interruption of the romance. Arguing backwards, this death used to be put at about 1260; but Jean de Meun’s own work has recently been dated earlier, and so the composition of the first part has been thrown back to a period before 1240. The author represents himself as having dreamed the dream which furnished the substance of the poem in his twentieth year, and as having set to work to “rhyme it” five years later. The later and longer part of theRomanshows signs of greater intellectual vigour and wider knowledge than the earlier and shorter, but Guillaume de Lorris is to all appearance more original. The great features of his four or five thousand lines are, in the first place, the extraordinary vividness and beauty of his word-pictures, in which for colour, freshness and individuality he has not many rivals except in the greatest masters, and, secondly, the fashion of allegorical presentation, which, hackneyed and wearisome as it afterwards became, was evidently in his time new and striking. There are of course traces of it before, as in some romances, such as those of Raoul de Houdenc, in the troubadours, and in other writers; but it was unquestionably Guillaume de Lorris who fixed the style.

For an attempt to identify Guillaume de Lorris see L. Jarry,Guillaume de Lorris et le testament d’Alphonse de Poitiers(1881). Also Paulin Paris in theHist. litt. de la France, vol. xxiii.

For an attempt to identify Guillaume de Lorris see L. Jarry,Guillaume de Lorris et le testament d’Alphonse de Poitiers(1881). Also Paulin Paris in theHist. litt. de la France, vol. xxiii.

GUILLAUME DE PALERME(William of Palerne), hero of romance. The French verse romance was written at the desire of a Countess Yolande, generally identified with Yolande, daughter of Baldwin IV., count of Flanders. The English poem in alliterative verse was written about 1350 by a poet called William, at the desire of Humphrey Bohun, earl of Hereford, (d. 1361). Guillaume, a foundling supposed to be of low degree, is brought up at the court of the emperor of Rome, and loves his daughter Melior who is destined for a Greek prince. The lovers flee into the woods disguised in bear-skins. Alfonso, who is Guillaume’s cousin and a Spanish prince, has been changed into a wolf by his step-mother’s enchantments. He provides food and protection for the fugitives, and Guillaume eventually triumphs over Alfonso’s father, and wins back from him his kingdom. The benevolent werwolf is disenchanted, and marries Guillaume’s sister.

SeeGuillaume de Palerne, ed. H. Michelant (Soc. d. anc. textes fr., 1876);Hist. litt. de la France, xxii. 829;William of Palerme, ed. Sir F. Madden (Roxburghe Club, 1832), and W. W. Skeat (E. E. Text Soc., extra series No. 1, 1867); M. Kaluza, inEng. Studien(Heilbronn, iv. 196). The prose version of the French romance, printed by N. Bonfons, passed through several editions.

SeeGuillaume de Palerne, ed. H. Michelant (Soc. d. anc. textes fr., 1876);Hist. litt. de la France, xxii. 829;William of Palerme, ed. Sir F. Madden (Roxburghe Club, 1832), and W. W. Skeat (E. E. Text Soc., extra series No. 1, 1867); M. Kaluza, inEng. Studien(Heilbronn, iv. 196). The prose version of the French romance, printed by N. Bonfons, passed through several editions.

GUILLAUME D’ORANGE(d. 812), also known as Guillaume Fierabrace, St Guillaume de Gellone, and the Marquis au courtnez, was the central figure of the southern cycle of French romance, called by thetrouvèresthegesteof Garin de Monglane. The cycle of Guillaume has more unity than the other great cycles of Charlemagne or of Doon de Mayence, the various poems which compose it forming branches of the main story rather than independent epic poems. There exist numerous cyclic MSS. in which there is an attempt at presenting a continuoushistoire poétiqueof Guillaume and his family. MS. Royal 20 D xi. in the British Museum contains eighteenchansonsof the cycle. Guillaume, son of Thierry or Theodoric and of Alde, daughter of Charles Martel, was born in the north of France about the middle of the 8th century. He became one of the best soldiers and trusted counsellors of Charlemagne, and In 790 was made count of Toulouse, when Charles’s son Louis the Pious was put under his charge. He subdued the Gascons, and defended Narbonne against the infidels. In 793 Hescham, the successor of Abd-al-Rahman II., proclaimed a holy war against the Christians, and collected an army of 100,000 men, half of which was directed against the kingdom of the Asturias, while the second invaded France, penetrating as far as Narbonne. Guillaume met the invaders near the river Orbieux, at Villedaigne, where he was defeated, but only after an obstinate resistance which so far exhausted the Saracens that they were compelled to retreat to Spain. He took Barcelona from the Saracens in 803, and in the next year founded the monastery of Gellone (now Saint Guilhem-le Désert), of which he became a member in 806. He died there in the odour of sanctity on the 28th of May 812.

No less than thirteen historical personages bearing the name of William (Guillaume) have been thought by various critics to have their share in the formation of the legend. William, count of Provence, son of Boso II., again delivered southern France from a Saracen invasion by his victory at Fraxinet in 973, and ended his life in a cloister. William Tow-head (Tête d’étoupe), duke of Aquitaine (d. 983), showed a fidelity to Louis IV. paralleled by Guillaume d’Orange’s service to Louis the Pious. The cycle of twenty or morechansonswhich form thegesteof Guillaume reposes on the traditions of the Arab invasions of the south of France, from the battle of Poitiers (732) under Charles Martel onwards, and on the French conquest of Catalonia from the Saracens. In the Norse version of the Carolingian epic Guillaume appears in his proper historical environment, as a chief under Charlemagne; but he plays a leading part in theCouronnement Looys, describing the formal associations of Louis the Pious in the empire at Aix (813, the year after Guillaume’s death), and after the battle of Aliscans it is from the emperor Louis that he seeks reinforcements. This anachronism arises from the fusion of the epic Guillaume with the champion of Louis IV., and from the fact that he was the military and civil chief of Louis the Pious, who was titular king of Aquitaine under his father from the time when he was three years old. The inconsistencies between the real and the epic Guillaume are often left standing in the poems. The personages associated with Guillaume in his Spanish wars belong to Provence, and have names common in the south. The most famous of these are Beuves de Comarchis, Ernaud de Girone, Garin d’Anséun, Aïmer le chétif, so called from his long captivity with the Saracens. The separate existence of Aïmer, who refused to sleep under a roof, and spent his whole life in warring against the infidel, is proved. He was Hadhemar, count of Narbonne, who in 809 and 810 was one of the leaders sent by Louis against Tortosa. No doubt the others had historical prototypes. In the hands of thetrouvèresthey became all brothers of Guillaume, and sons of Aymeri de Narbonne,1the grandson of Garin de Monglane, and his wife Ermenjart. Nevertheless when Guillaume seeks help from Louis the emperor he finds all his relations in Laon, in accordance with his historic Frankish origin.

The central fact of thegesteof Guillaume is the battle of the Archamp or Aliscans, in which perished Guillaume’s heroic nephew, Vezian or Vivien, a second Roland. At the eleventh hour he summoned Guillaume to his help against the overwhelming forces of the Saracens. Guillaume arrived too late to help Vivien, was himself defeated, and returned alone to his wife Guibourc, leaving his knights all dead or prisoners. This event is related in a Norman-French transcript of an old Frenchchanson de geste, theChançun de Willame—which only was brought to light in 1901 at the sale of the books of Sir Henry Hope Edwardes—in theCovenant Vivien, a recension of an older French chanson and inAliscans.Aliscanscontinues the story, telling how Guillaume obtained reinforcements from Laon, and how, with the help of the comic hero, the scullion Rainouart or Rennewart, he avenged the defeat of Aliscans and his nephew’s death. Rainouart turns out to be the brother of Guillaume’s wife Guibourc, who was before her marriage the Saracen princess and enchantress Orable. Two other poems are consecrated to his later exploits,La Bataille Loquifer, the work of a French Sicilian poet, Jendeu de Brie (fl. 1170), andLe Moniage Rainouart. The staring-point of Herbert le duc of Dammartin (fl. 1170) inFoucon de Candie(Candie = Gandia in Spain?) is the return of Guillaume from the battle; and the Italian compilationI Nerbonesi, based on these and otherchansons, seems in some cases to represent an earlier tradition than the later of the Frenchchansons, although its author Andrea di Barberino wrote towards the end of the 14th century. The minnesinger Wolfram von Eschenbach based hisWillehalmon a French original which must have differed from the versions we have. The variations in the story of the defeat of Aliscans or the Archant, and the numerous inconsistencies of the narratives even when considered separately have occupied many critics. Aliscans (Aleschans, Alyscamps, Elysii Campi) was, however, generally taken to represent the battle of Villedaigne, and to take its name from the famous cemetery outside Arles. Wolfram von Eschenbach even mentions the tombs which studded the field of battle. Indications that this tradition was not unassailable were not lacking before the discovery of theChançun de Willame, which, although preserved in a very corrupt form, represents the earliest recension we have of the story, dating at least from the beginning of the 12th century. It seems probable that the Archant was situated in Spain near Vivien’s headquarters at Tortosa, and that Guillaume started from Barcelona, not from Orange, to his nephew’s help. The account of the disaster was modified by successivetrouvères, and the uncertainty of their methods may be judged by the fact that in theChançun de Willametwo consecutive accounts (11. 450-1326 and 11. 1326-2420) of the fight appear to be set side by side as if they were separate episodes.Le Couronnement Looys, already mentioned,Le Charroi de Nîmes(12th century) in which Guillaume, who had been forgotten in the distribution of fiefs, enumerates his services to the terrified Louis, andAliscans(12th century), with the earlierChançun, are among the finest of the French epic poems. The figure of Vivien is among the most heroic elaborated by thetrouvères, and the giant Rainouart has more than a touch of Rabelaisian humour.

Thechansons de gesteof the cycle of Guillaume are:Enfances Garin de Monglane(15th century) andGarin de Monglane(13th century), on which is founded the prose romance ofGuérin de Monglane, printed in the 15th century by Jehan Trepperel and often later;Girars de Viane(13th century, by Bertrand de Bar-sur-Aube), ed. P. Tarbé (Reims, 1850);Hernaut de Beaulande(fragment 14th century);Renier de Gennes, which only survives in its prose form;Aymeri de Narbonne(c.1210) by Bertrand de Bar-sur-Aube, ed. L. Demaison (Soc. des anc. textes fr., Paris, 2 vols., 1887);Les Enfances Guillaume(13th century);Les Narbonnais, ed. H. Suchier (Soc. des anc. textes fr., 2 vols., 1898), with a Latin fragment dating from the 11th century, preserved at the Hague;Le Couronnement Looys(ed. E. Langlois, 1888),Le Charroi de Nîmes,La Prise d’Orange,Le Covenant Vivien,Aliscans, which were edited by W. J. A. Jonckbloet in vol. i. of hisGuillaume d’Orange(The Hague, 1854); a critical text ofAliscans(Halle, 1903, vol. i.) is edited by E. Wienbeck, W. Hartnacke and P. Rasch;LoquiferandLe Moniage Rainouart(12th century);Bovon de Commarchis(13th century), recension of the earlier Siège de Barbastre, by Adenès liRois, ed. A. Scheler (Brussels, 1874);Guibert d’Andrenas(13th century);La Prise de Cordres(13th century);La Mort Aimeri de Narbonne, ed. J. Couraye de Parc (Soc. des Anciens Textes français, Paris, 1884);Foulque de Candie(ed. P. Tarbé, Reims, 1860);Le Moniage Guillaume(12th century);Les Enfances Vivien(ed. C. Wahlund and H. v. Feilitzen, Upsala and Paris, 1895);Chançun de Willame(Chiswick Press, 1903), described by P. Meyer inRomania(xxxiii. 597-618). The ninth branch of theKarlamagnus Saga(ed. C. R. Unger, Christiania, 1860) deals with thegesteof Guillaume.I Nerbonesiis edited by J. G. Isola (Bologna, 1877, &c.).See C. Révillout,Étude hist. et litt. sur la vita sancti Willelmi(Montpellier, 1876); W. J. A. Jonckbloet,Guillaume d’Orange(2 vols., 1854, The Hague); L. Clarus (ps. for W. Volk),Herzog Wilhelm von Aquitanien(Münster, 1865); P. Paris,in Hist. litt. de la France(vol. xxii., 1852); L. Gautier,Épopées françaises(vol. iv., 2nd ed., 1882); R. Weeks,The newly discovered Chançun de Willame(Chicago, 1904); A. Thomas,Études romanes(Paris, 1891), on Vivien; L. Saltet, “S. Vidian de Martres-Tolosanes” inBull. de litt. ecclés.(Toulouse, 1902); P. Becker,Die altfrz. Wilhelmsage u. ihre Beziehung zu Wilhelm dem Heiligen(Halle, 1896), andDer südfranzösische Sagenkreis und seine Probleme(Halle, 1898); A. Jeanroy, “Études sur le cycle de Guillaume au court nez” (inRomania, vols. 25 and 26, 1896-1897); H. Suchier, “Recherches sur ... Guillaume d’Orange” (inRomania, vol. 32, 1903). The conclusions arrived at by earlier writers are combated by Joseph Bédier in the first volume, “Le Cycle de Guillaume d’Orange” (1908), of hisLégendes épiques, in which he constructs a theory that the cycle of Guillaume d’Orange grew up round the various shrines on the pilgrim route to Saint Gilles of Provence and Saint James of Compostella—that thechansons de gestewere, in fact, the product of 11th and 12th century trouvères, exploiting local ecclesiastical traditions, and were not developed from earlier poems dating back perhaps to the lifetime of Guillaume of Toulouse, the saint of Gellone.

Thechansons de gesteof the cycle of Guillaume are:Enfances Garin de Monglane(15th century) andGarin de Monglane(13th century), on which is founded the prose romance ofGuérin de Monglane, printed in the 15th century by Jehan Trepperel and often later;Girars de Viane(13th century, by Bertrand de Bar-sur-Aube), ed. P. Tarbé (Reims, 1850);Hernaut de Beaulande(fragment 14th century);Renier de Gennes, which only survives in its prose form;Aymeri de Narbonne(c.1210) by Bertrand de Bar-sur-Aube, ed. L. Demaison (Soc. des anc. textes fr., Paris, 2 vols., 1887);Les Enfances Guillaume(13th century);Les Narbonnais, ed. H. Suchier (Soc. des anc. textes fr., 2 vols., 1898), with a Latin fragment dating from the 11th century, preserved at the Hague;Le Couronnement Looys(ed. E. Langlois, 1888),Le Charroi de Nîmes,La Prise d’Orange,Le Covenant Vivien,Aliscans, which were edited by W. J. A. Jonckbloet in vol. i. of hisGuillaume d’Orange(The Hague, 1854); a critical text ofAliscans(Halle, 1903, vol. i.) is edited by E. Wienbeck, W. Hartnacke and P. Rasch;LoquiferandLe Moniage Rainouart(12th century);Bovon de Commarchis(13th century), recension of the earlier Siège de Barbastre, by Adenès liRois, ed. A. Scheler (Brussels, 1874);Guibert d’Andrenas(13th century);La Prise de Cordres(13th century);La Mort Aimeri de Narbonne, ed. J. Couraye de Parc (Soc. des Anciens Textes français, Paris, 1884);Foulque de Candie(ed. P. Tarbé, Reims, 1860);Le Moniage Guillaume(12th century);Les Enfances Vivien(ed. C. Wahlund and H. v. Feilitzen, Upsala and Paris, 1895);Chançun de Willame(Chiswick Press, 1903), described by P. Meyer inRomania(xxxiii. 597-618). The ninth branch of theKarlamagnus Saga(ed. C. R. Unger, Christiania, 1860) deals with thegesteof Guillaume.I Nerbonesiis edited by J. G. Isola (Bologna, 1877, &c.).

See C. Révillout,Étude hist. et litt. sur la vita sancti Willelmi(Montpellier, 1876); W. J. A. Jonckbloet,Guillaume d’Orange(2 vols., 1854, The Hague); L. Clarus (ps. for W. Volk),Herzog Wilhelm von Aquitanien(Münster, 1865); P. Paris,in Hist. litt. de la France(vol. xxii., 1852); L. Gautier,Épopées françaises(vol. iv., 2nd ed., 1882); R. Weeks,The newly discovered Chançun de Willame(Chicago, 1904); A. Thomas,Études romanes(Paris, 1891), on Vivien; L. Saltet, “S. Vidian de Martres-Tolosanes” inBull. de litt. ecclés.(Toulouse, 1902); P. Becker,Die altfrz. Wilhelmsage u. ihre Beziehung zu Wilhelm dem Heiligen(Halle, 1896), andDer südfranzösische Sagenkreis und seine Probleme(Halle, 1898); A. Jeanroy, “Études sur le cycle de Guillaume au court nez” (inRomania, vols. 25 and 26, 1896-1897); H. Suchier, “Recherches sur ... Guillaume d’Orange” (inRomania, vol. 32, 1903). The conclusions arrived at by earlier writers are combated by Joseph Bédier in the first volume, “Le Cycle de Guillaume d’Orange” (1908), of hisLégendes épiques, in which he constructs a theory that the cycle of Guillaume d’Orange grew up round the various shrines on the pilgrim route to Saint Gilles of Provence and Saint James of Compostella—that thechansons de gestewere, in fact, the product of 11th and 12th century trouvères, exploiting local ecclesiastical traditions, and were not developed from earlier poems dating back perhaps to the lifetime of Guillaume of Toulouse, the saint of Gellone.

1The poem ofAymeri de Narbonnecontains the account of the young Aymeri’s brilliant capture of Narbonne, which he then receives as a fief from Charlemagne, of his marriage with Ermenjart, sister of Boniface, king of the Lombards, and of their children. The fifth daughter, Blanchefleur, is represented as the wife of Louis the Pious. The opening of this poem furnished, though indirectly, the matter of theAymerillotof Victor Hugo’sLégende des siècles.

1The poem ofAymeri de Narbonnecontains the account of the young Aymeri’s brilliant capture of Narbonne, which he then receives as a fief from Charlemagne, of his marriage with Ermenjart, sister of Boniface, king of the Lombards, and of their children. The fifth daughter, Blanchefleur, is represented as the wife of Louis the Pious. The opening of this poem furnished, though indirectly, the matter of theAymerillotof Victor Hugo’sLégende des siècles.

GUILLEMOT(Fr.guillemot1), the name accepted by nearly all modern authors for a sea-bird, theColymbus troileof Linnaeus and theUria troileof Latham, which nowadays it seems seldom if ever to bear among those who, from their vocation, are most conversant with it, though, according to Willughby and Ray his translator, it was in their time so called “by those of Northumberland and Durham.” Around the coasts of Britain it is variously known as the frowl, kiddaw or skiddaw, langy (cf. Ice.Langvia), lavy, marrock, murre, scout (cf.Coot), scuttock, strany, tinker or tinkershire and willock. In former days the guillemot yearly frequented the cliffs on many parts of the British coasts in countless multitudes, and this is still the case in the northern parts of the United Kingdom; but more to the southward nearly all its smaller settlements have been rendered utterly desolate by the wanton and cruel destruction of their tenants during the breeding season, and even the inhabitants of those which were more crowded had become so thinned that, but for the intervention of the Sea Birds Preservation Act (32 & 33 Vict. cap. 17), which provided under penalty for the safety of this and certain other species at the time of year when they were most exposed to danger, they would unquestionably by this time have been exterminated so far as England is concerned.

Part of the guillemot’s history is still little understood. We know that it arrives at its wonted breeding stations on its accustomed day in spring, that it remains there till, towards the end of the summer, its young are hatched and able, as they soon are, to encounter the perils of a seafaring life, when away go all, parents and progeny. After that time it commonly happens that a few examples are occasionally met with in bays and shallow waters. Tempestuous weather will drive ashore a large number in a state of utter destitution—many of them indeed are not unfrequently washed up dead—but what becomes of the bulk of the birds, not merely the comparatively few thousands that are natives of Britain, but the tens and hundreds of thousands, not to say millions, that are in summer denizens of more northern latitudes, no one can say. This mystery is not peculiar to the guillemot, but is shared by all theAlcidaethat inhabit the Atlantic Ocean. Examples stray every season across the Bay of Biscay, are found off the coasts of Spain and Portugal, enter the Mediterranean and reach Italian waters, or, keeping farther south, may even touch the Madeiras, Canaries or Azores; but these bear no proportion whatever to the mighty hosts of whom they are literally the “scouts,” and whose position and movements they no more reveal than do the vedettes of a well-appointed army. The common guillemot of both sides of the Atlantic is replaced farther northward by a species with a stouter bill, theU. arraorU. bruennichiof ornithologists, and on the west coast of North America by theU. californica. The habits of all these are essentially the same, and the structural resemblance between all of them and the Auks is so great that several systematists have relegated them to the genusAlca, confining the genusUriato the guillemots of another group, of which the type is theU. grylla, the black guillemot of British authors, the dovekey or Greenland dove of sailors, the tysty of Shetlanders. This bird assumes in summer an entirely black plumage with the exception of a white patch on each wing, while in winter it is beautifully marbled with white and black. Allied to it as species or geographical races are theU. mandti,U. columbaandU. carbo. All these differ from the larger guillemots by laying two or three eggs, which are generally placed in some secure niche, while the members of the other group lay but a single egg, which is invariably exposed on a bare ledge.

(A. N.)

1The word, however, seems to be cognate with or derived from the Welsh and ManxGuillem, orGwilymas Pennant spells it. The association may have no real meaning, but one cannot help comparing the resemblance between the FrenchguillemotandGuillaumewith that between the English willock (another name for the bird) and William.

1The word, however, seems to be cognate with or derived from the Welsh and ManxGuillem, orGwilymas Pennant spells it. The association may have no real meaning, but one cannot help comparing the resemblance between the FrenchguillemotandGuillaumewith that between the English willock (another name for the bird) and William.

GUILLOCHE,a French word for an ornament, either painted or carved, which was one of the principal decorative bands employed by the Greeks in their temples or on their vases. Guilloches are single, double or triple; they consist of a series of circles equidistant one from the other and enclosed in a band which winds round them and interlaces. This guilloche is of Asiatic origin and was largely employed in the decoration of the Assyrian palaces, where it was probably copied from Chaldaean work, as there is an early example at Erech which dates from the time of Gudea (2294B.C.). The ornament as painted by the Greeks has almost entirely disappeared, but traces are found in the temple of Nemesis at Rhamnus; and on the terra-cotta slabs by which the timber roofs of Greek temples were protected, it is painted in colours which are almost as brilliant as when first produced, those of the Treasury of Gela at Olympia being of great beauty. These examples are double guilloches, with two rows of circles, each with an independent interlacing band and united by a small arc with palmette inside; in both the single and double guilloches of Greek work there is a flower in the centre of the circles. In the triple guilloche, the centre row of circles comes half-way between the others, and the enclosing band crosses diagonally both ways, interlacing alternately. The best example of the triple guilloche is that which is carved on the torus moulding of the base and on the small convex moulding above the echinus of the capitals of the columns of the Erechtheum at Athens. It was largely employed in Roman work, and the single guilloche is found almost universally as a border in mosaic pavements, not only in Italy but throughout Europe. In the Renaissance in Italy it was also a favourite enrichment for borders and occasionally in France and England.

GUILLON, MARIE NICOLAS SYLVESTRE(1760-1847), French ecclesiastic, was born in Paris on the 1st of January 1760. He was librarian and almoner in the household of the princess de Lamballe, and when in 1792 she was executed, he fled to the provinces, where under the name of Pastel he practised medicine. A man of facile conscience, he afterwards served in turn under Napoleon, the Bourbons and the Orleanists, and became canon of St Denis, bishop of Morocco and dean of the Sorbonne.

Among his many literary works are aCollection des brefs du pape Pie VI(1798),Bibliothèque choisie des pères grecs et latins(1822, 26 vols.) and a French translation of Cyprian with notes (1837, 2 vols.).

Among his many literary works are aCollection des brefs du pape Pie VI(1798),Bibliothèque choisie des pères grecs et latins(1822, 26 vols.) and a French translation of Cyprian with notes (1837, 2 vols.).

GUILLOTINE,the instrument for inflicting capital punishment by decapitation, introduced into France at the period of the Revolution. It consists of two upright posts surmounted by a cross beam, and grooved so as to guide an oblique-edged knife, the back of which is heavily weighted to make it fall swiftly and with force when the cord by which it is held aloft is let go. Someascribe the invention of the machine to the Persians; and previous to the period when it obtained notoriety under its present name it had been in use in Scotland, England and various parts of the continent. There is still preserved In the antiquarian museum of Edinburgh the rude guillotine called the “maiden” by which the regent Morton was decapitated in 1581. The last persons decapitated by the Scottish “maiden” were the marquis of Argyll in 1661 and his son the earl of Argyll in 1685. It would appear that no similar machine was ever in general use in England; but until 1650 there existed in the forest of Hardwick, which was coextensive with the parish of Halifax, West Riding, Yorkshire, a mode of trial and execution called the gibbet law, by which a felon convicted of theft within the liberty was sentenced to be decapitated by a machine called the Halifax gibbet. A print of it is contained in a small book calledHalifax and its Gibbet Law(1708), and in Gibson’s edition of Camden’sBritannia(1722). In Germany the machine was in general use during the middle ages, under the name of theDiele, theHobelor theDolabra. Two old German engravings, the one by George Penez, who died in 1550, and the other by Heinrich Aldegrever, with the date 1553, represent the death of a son of Titus Manlius by a similar instrument, and its employment for the execution of a Spartan is the subject of the engraving of the eighteenth symbol in the volume entitledSymbolicae quaestiones de universo genere, by Achilles Bocchi (1555). From the 13th century it was used in Italy under the name ofMannaiafor the execution of criminals of noble birth. TheChronique de Jean d’Anton, first published in 1835, gives minute details of an execution in which it was employed at Genoa in 1507; and it is elaborately described by Père Jean Baptiste Labat in hisVoyage en Espagne et en Italie en 1730. It is mentioned by Jacques, viscomte de Puységur, in hisMémoiresas in use in the south of France, and he describes the execution by it of Marshal Montmorency at Toulouse in 1632. For about a century it had, however, fallen into general disuse on the continent; and Dr Guillotine, who first suggested its use in modern times, is said to have obtained his information regarding it from the description of an execution that took place at Milan in 1702, contained in an anonymous work entitledVoyage historique et politique de Suisse, d’Italie, et d’Allemagne.

Guillotine, who was born at Saintes, May 28, 1738, and elected to the Constituent Assembly in 1789, brought forward on the 1st December of that year two propositions regarding capital punishment, the second of which was that, “in all cases of capital punishment it shall be of the same kind—that is, decapitation—and it shall be executed by means of a machine.” The reasons urged in support of this proposition were that in cases of capital punishment the privilege of execution by decapitation should no longer be confined to the nobles, and that it was desirable to render the process of execution as swift and painless as possible. The debate was brought to a sudden termination in peals of laughter caused by an indiscreet reference of Dr Guillotine to his machine, but his ideas seem gradually to have leavened the minds of the Assembly, and after various debates decapitation was adopted as the method of execution in the penal code which became law on the 6th October 1791. At first it was intended that decapitation should be by the sword, but on account of a memorandum by M. Sanson, the executioner, pointing out the expense and certain other inconveniences attending that method, the Assembly referred the question to a committee, at whose request Dr Antoine Louis, secretary to the Academy of Surgeons, prepared a memorandum on the subject. Without mentioning the name of Guillotine, it recommended the adoption of an instrument similar to that which was formerly suggested by him. The Assembly decided in favour of the report, and the contract was offered to the person who usually provided the instruments of justice; but, as his terms were considered exorbitant, an agreement was ultimately come to with a German of the name of Schmidt, who, under the direction of M. Louis, furnished a machine for each of the French departments. After satisfactory experiments had been made with the machine on several dead bodies in the hospital of Bicêtre, it was erected on the Place de Grève for the execution of the highwayman Pelletier on the 25th April 1792. While the experiments regarding the machine were being carried on, it received the nameLouisetteorLa Petite Louison, but the mind of the nation seems soon to have reverted to Guillotine, who first suggested its use; and in theJournal des révolutions de Parisfor 28th April 1792 it is mentioned asla guillotine, a name which it thenceforth bore both popularly and officially. In 1795 the question was much debated as to whether or not death by the guillotine was instantaneous, and in support of the negative side the case of Charlotte Corday was adduced whose countenance, it is said, blushed as if with indignation when the executioner, holding up the head to the public gaze, struck it with his fist. The connexion of the instrument with the horrors of the Revolution has hindered its introduction into other countries, but in 1853 it was adopted under the name ofFallschwertorFallbeilby the kingdom of Saxony; and it is used for the execution of sentences of death in France, Belgium and some parts of Germany. It has often been stated that Dr Guillotine perished by the instrument which bears his name, but it is beyond question that he survived the Revolution and died a natural death in 1814.

See Sédillot,Réflexions historiques et physiologiques sur le supplice de la guillotine(1795); Sue,Opinion sur le supplice de la guillotine, (1796); Réveillé-Parise,Étude biographique sur Guillotine(Paris, 1851);Notice historique et physiologique sur le supplice de la guillotine(Paris, 1830); Louis Dubois,Recherches historiques et physiologiques sur la guillotine et détails sur Sanson(Paris, 1843); and a paper by J. W. Croker in theQuarterly Reviewfor December 1843, reprinted separately in 1850 under the titleThe Guillotine, a historical Essay.

See Sédillot,Réflexions historiques et physiologiques sur le supplice de la guillotine(1795); Sue,Opinion sur le supplice de la guillotine, (1796); Réveillé-Parise,Étude biographique sur Guillotine(Paris, 1851);Notice historique et physiologique sur le supplice de la guillotine(Paris, 1830); Louis Dubois,Recherches historiques et physiologiques sur la guillotine et détails sur Sanson(Paris, 1843); and a paper by J. W. Croker in theQuarterly Reviewfor December 1843, reprinted separately in 1850 under the titleThe Guillotine, a historical Essay.

GUILT,a lapse from duty, a crime, now usually the fact of wilful wrong-doing, the condition of being guilty of a crime, hence conduct deserving of punishment. The O. Eng. form of the word isgylt. TheNew English Dictionaryrejects for phonetic reasons the usually accepted connexion with the Teutonic rootgald-, to pay, seen in Ger.gelten, to be of value,Geld, money, payment, English “yield.”

GUIMARÃES(sometimes writtenGuimaraens), a town of northern Portugal, in the district of Braga, formerly included in the province of Entre-Minho-e-Douro; 36 m. N.E. of Oporto by the Trofa-Guimarães branch of the Oporto-Corunna railway. Pop. (1900) 9104. Guimarães is a very ancient town with Moorish fortifications; and even the quarters which are locally described as “new” date partly from the 15th century. It occupies a low hill, skirted on the north-west by a small tributary of the river Ave. The citadel, founded in the 11th century by Count Henry of Burgundy, was in 1094 the birthplace of his son Alphonso, the first king of Portugal. The font in which Alphonso was baptized is preserved, among other interesting relics, in the collegiate church of Santa Maria da Oliveira, “St Mary of the Olive,” a Romanesque building of the 14th century, which occupies the site of an older foundation. This church owes its name to the legend that the Visigothic king Wamba (672-680) here declined the crown of Spain, until his olive wood spear-shaft blossomed as a sign that he should consent. The convent of São Domingos, now a museum of antiquities, has a fine 12th-13th century cloister; the town hall is built in the blend of Moorish and Gothic architecture known as Manoelline. Guimarães has a flourishing trade in wine and farm produce; it also manufactures cutlery, linen, leather and preserved fruits. Near the town are Citania, the ruins of a prehistoric Iberian city, and the hot sulphurous springs of Taipas, frequented since the 4th century, when Guimarães itself was founded.

GUIMARD, MARIE MADELEINE(1743-1816), French dancer, was born in Paris on the 10th of October 1743. For twenty-five years she was the star of the Paris Opéra. She made herself even more famous by her love affairs, especially by her long liaison with the prince de Soubise. She bought a magnificent house at Pantin, and built a private theatre connected with it, where Collé’sPartie de chasse de Henri IVwhich was prohibited in public, and most of theProverbesof Carmontelle (Louis Carrogis, 1717-1806), and similar licentious performances were given to the delight of high society. In 1772, in defiance of thearchbishop of Paris, she opened a gorgeous house with a theatre seating five hundred spectators in the Chaussée d’Antin. In this Temple of Terpsichore, as she named it, the wildest orgies took place. In 1786 she was compelled to get rid of the property, and it was disposed of by lottery for her benefit for the sum of 300,000 francs. Soon after her retirement in 1789 she married Jean Etienne Despréaux (1748-1820), dancer, song-writer and playwright.

GUIMET, JEAN BAPTISTE(1795-1871), French industrial chemist, was born at Voiron on the 20th of July 1795. He studied at the École Polytechnique in Paris, and in 1817 entered the Administration des Poudres et Salpêtres. In 1828 he was awarded the prize offered by the Société d’Encouragement pour l’Industrie Nationale for a process of making artificial ultramarine with all the properties of the substance prepared from lapis lazuli; and six years later he resigned his official position in order to devote himself to the commercial production of that material, a factory for which he established at Fleurieux sur Saône. He died on the 8th of April 1871.

His sonÉmile Étienne Guimet, born at Lyons on the 26th of June 1836, succeeded him in the direction of the factory, and founded the Musée Guimet, which was first located at Lyons in 1879 and was handed over to the state and transferred to Paris in 1885. Devoted to travel, he was in 1876 commissioned by the minister of public instruction to study the religions of the Far East, and the museum contains many of the fruits of this expedition, including a fine collection of Japanese and Chinese porcelain and many objects relating not merely to the religions of the East but also to those of Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome. He wroteLettres sur l’Algérie(1877) andPromenades japonaises(1880), and also some musical compositions, including a grand opera,Taï-Tsoung(1894).

GUINEA,the general name applied by Europeans to part of the western coast region of equatorial Africa, and also to the gulf formed by the great bend of the coast line eastward and then southward. Like many other geographical designations the use of which is controlled neither by natural nor political boundaries, the name has been very differently employed by different writers and at different periods. In the widest acceptation of the term, the Guinea coast may be said to extend from 13° N. to 16° S., from the neighbourhood of the Gambia to Cape Negro. Southern or Lower Guinea comprises the coasts of Gabun and Loango (known also as French Congo) and the Portuguese possessions on the south-west coast, and Northern or Upper Guinea stretches from the river Casamance to and inclusive of the Niger delta, Cameroon occupying a middle position. In a narrower use of the name, Guinea is the coast only from Cape Palmas to the Gabun estuary. Originally, on the other hand, Guinea was supposed to begin as far north as Cape Nun, opposite the Canary Islands, and Gomes Azurara, a Portuguese historian of the 15th century, is said to be the first authority who brings the boundary south to the Senegal. The derivation of the name is uncertain, but is probably taken from Ghinea, Ginnie, Genni or Jenné, a town and kingdom in the basin of the Niger, famed for the enterprise of its merchants and dating from the 8th centuryA.D.The name Guinea is found on maps of the middle of the 14th century, but it did not come into general use in Europe till towards the close of the 15th century.1

Although the term Gulf of Guinea is applied generally to that part of the coast south of Cape Palmas and north of the mouth of the Congo, particular indentations have their peculiar designations. The bay formed by the configuration of the land between Cape St Paul and the Nun mouth of the Niger is known as the Bight of Benin, the name being that of the once powerful native state whose territory formerly extended over the whole district. The Bight of Biafra, or Mafra (named after the town of Mafra in southern Portugal), between Capes Formosa and Lopez, is the most eastern part of the Gulf of Guinea; it contains the islands Fernando Po, Prince’s and St Thomas’s. The name Biafra—as indicating the country—fell into disuse in the later part of the 19th century.

The coast is generally so low as to be visible to navigators only within a very short distance, the mangrove trees being their only sailing marks. In the Bight of Biafra the coast forms an exception, being high and bold, with the Cameroon Mountains for background. At Sierra Leone also there is high land. The coast in many places maintains a dead level for 30 to 50 m. inland. Vegetation is exceedingly luxuriant and varied. The palm-oil tree is indigenous and abundant from the river Gambia to the Congo. The fauna comprises nearly all the more remarkable of African animals. The inhabitants are the true Negro stock.

By the early traders the coast of Upper Guinea was given names founded on the productions characteristic of the different parts. The Grain coast, that part of the Guinea coast extending for 500 m. from Sierra Leone eastward to Cape Palmas received its name from the export of the seeds of several plants of a peppery character, called variously grains of paradise, Guinea pepper and melegueta. The name Grain coast was first applied to this region in 1455. It was occasionally styled the Windy or Windward coast, from the frequency of short but furious tornadoes throughout the year. Towards the end of the 18th century, Guinea pepper was supplanted in Europe by peppers from the East Indies. The name now is seldom used, the Grain coast being divided between the British colony of Sierra Leone and the republic of Liberia. The Ivory coast extends from Cape Palmas to 3° W., and obtained its name from the quantity of ivory exported therefrom. It is now a French possession. Eastwards of the Ivory coast are the Gold and Slave coasts. The Niger delta was for long known as the Oil rivers. To two regions only of the coast is the name Guinea officially applied, the French and Portuguese colonies north of Sierra Leone being so styled.

Of the various names by which the divisions of Lower Guinea were known, Loango was applied to the country south of the Gabun and north of the Congo river. It is now chiefly included in French Congo. Congo was used to designate the country immediately south of the river of the same name, usually spoken of until the last half of the 19th century as the Zaire. Congo is now one of the subdivisions of Portuguese West Africa (seeAngola). It must not be confounded with the Belgian Congo.

Few questions in historical geography have been more keenly discussed than that of the first discovery of Guinea by the navigators of modern Europe. Lancelot Malocello, a Genoese, in 1270 reached at least as far as the Canaries. The first direct attempt to find a sea route to India was, it is said, also made by Genoese, Ugolino and Guido de Vivaldo, Tedisio Doria and others who equipped two galleys and sailed south along the African coast in 1291. Beyond the fact that they passed Cape Nun there is no trustworthy record of their voyage. In 1346 a Catalan expedition started for “the river of gold” on the Guinea coast; its fate is unknown. The French claim that between 1364 and 1410 the people of Dieppe sent out several expeditions to Guinea; and Jean de Béthencourt, who settled in the Canaries about 1402, made explorations towards the south. At length the consecutive efforts of the navigators employed by Prince Henry of Portugal—Gil Eannes, Diniz Diaz, Nuno Tristam, Alvaro Fernandez, Cadamosto, Usodimare and Diego Gomez—made known the coast as far as the Gambia, and by the endof the 15th century the whole region was familiar to Europeans.

For further information seeSenegal,Gold Coast,Ivory Coast,French Guinea,Portuguese Guinea,Liberia, &c. For the history of European discoveries, consult G. E. de Azurara,Chronica de descobrimento e conquista de Guiné, published, with an introduction, by Barros de Santarem (Paris, 1841), English translation,The Discovery and Conquest of Guinea, by C. R. Beazley and E. Prestage (Hakluyt Society publications, 2 vols., London, 1896-1899, vol. ii. has an introduction on the early history of African exploration, &c. with full bibliographical notes). L. Estancelin,Recherches sur les voyages et découvertes des navigateurs normands en Afrique(Paris, 1832); Villault de Bellefond,Relation des costes d’Afrique appellées Guinée(Paris, 1669); Père Labat,Nouvelle Relation de l’Afrique occidentale(Paris, 1728); Desmarquets,Mém. chron. pour servir à l’hist. de Dieppe(1875); Santarem,Priorité de la découverte des pays situés sur la côte occidentale d’Afrique(Paris, 1842); R. H. Major,Life of Prince Henry the Navigator(London, 1868); and the elaborate review of Major’s work by M. Codine in theBulletin de la Soc. de Géog.(1873); A. E. Nordenskiöld,Periplus(Stockholm, 1897);The Story of Africa, vol. i. (London, 1892), edited by Dr Robert Brown.

For further information seeSenegal,Gold Coast,Ivory Coast,French Guinea,Portuguese Guinea,Liberia, &c. For the history of European discoveries, consult G. E. de Azurara,Chronica de descobrimento e conquista de Guiné, published, with an introduction, by Barros de Santarem (Paris, 1841), English translation,The Discovery and Conquest of Guinea, by C. R. Beazley and E. Prestage (Hakluyt Society publications, 2 vols., London, 1896-1899, vol. ii. has an introduction on the early history of African exploration, &c. with full bibliographical notes). L. Estancelin,Recherches sur les voyages et découvertes des navigateurs normands en Afrique(Paris, 1832); Villault de Bellefond,Relation des costes d’Afrique appellées Guinée(Paris, 1669); Père Labat,Nouvelle Relation de l’Afrique occidentale(Paris, 1728); Desmarquets,Mém. chron. pour servir à l’hist. de Dieppe(1875); Santarem,Priorité de la découverte des pays situés sur la côte occidentale d’Afrique(Paris, 1842); R. H. Major,Life of Prince Henry the Navigator(London, 1868); and the elaborate review of Major’s work by M. Codine in theBulletin de la Soc. de Géog.(1873); A. E. Nordenskiöld,Periplus(Stockholm, 1897);The Story of Africa, vol. i. (London, 1892), edited by Dr Robert Brown.


Back to IndexNext