Chapter 18

See Smiles,Industrial Biography(1879).

See Smiles,Industrial Biography(1879).

HUNTSVILLE,a city and the county-seat of Madison county, Alabama, U.S.A., situated on a plain 10 m. N. of the Tennessee river, 18 m. from the northern boundary of the state, at an altitude of about 617 ft. Pop. (1900) 8068, of whom 3909 were of negro descent; (1910 census) 7611. There is a considerable suburban population. Huntsville is served by the Southern and the Nashville, Chattanooga & St Louis railways. The public square is on a high bluff (about 750 ft. above sea-level), at the base of which a large spring furnishes the city with water, and also forms a stream once used for floating boats, loaded with cotton, to the Tennessee river. The surrounding country has rich deposits of iron, coal and marble, and cotton, Indian corn and fruit are grown and shipped from Huntsville. Natural gas is found in the vicinity. The principal industry is the manufacture of cotton. The value of the city’s factory products increased from $692,340 in 1900 to $1,758,718 in 1905, or 154%. At Normal, about 3½ m. N.E. of Huntsville, is the State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes. Huntsville was founded in 1805 by John Hunt, a Virginian and a soldier in the War of Independence; in 1809 its name was changed to Twickenham, in memory of the home of the poet Alexander Pope, some of whose relatives were among the first settlers; but in 1811 the earlier name was restored, under which the town was incorporated by the Territorial Government, the first Alabama settlement to receive a charter. Huntsville was chartered as a city in 1844. Here, in 1819, met the convention that framed the first state constitution, and in 1820 the first state legislature. On the 11th of April 1862 Huntsville was seized by Federal troops, who were forced to retire in the following September, but secured permanent possession in July 1863.

HUNYADI, JÁNOS(c.1387-1456), Hungarian statesman and warrior, was the son of Vojk, a Magyarized Vlach who married Elizabeth Morzsinay. He derived his family name from the small estate of Hunyad, which came into his father’s possession in 1409. The later epithet Corvinus, adopted by his son Matthias, was doubtless derived from another property, Piatra da Corvo or Raven’s Rock. He has sometimes been confounded with an elder brother who died fighting for Hungary about 1440. While still a youth, he entered the service of King Sigismund, who appreciated his qualities and borrowed money from him; he accompanied that monarch to Frankfort in his quest for the imperial crown in 1410; took part in the Hussite War in 1420, and in 1437 drove the Turks from Semendria. For these services he got numerous estates and a seat in the royal council. In 1438 King Albert II. made him ban of Szöreny, the district lying between the Aluta and the Danube, a most dangerous dignity entailing constant warfare with the Turks. On the sudden death of Albert in 1439, Hunyadi, feeling acutely that the situation demanded a warrior-king on the throne of St Stephen, lent the whole weight of his influence to the candidature of the young Polish king Wladislaus III. (1440), and thus came into collision with the powerful Cilleis, the chief supporters of Albert’s widow Elizabeth and herinfant son, Ladislaus V. (seeCillei,Ulrich; andLadislaus V.). He took a prominent part in the ensuing civil war and was rewarded by Wladislaus III. with the captaincy of the fortress of Belgrade and the voivodeship of Transylvania, which latter dignity, however, he shared with his rival Mihaly Ujlaki.

The burden of the Turkish War now rested entirely on his shoulders. In 1441 he delivered Servia by the victory of Semendria. In 1442, not far from Hermannstadt, on which he had been forced to retire, he annihilated an immense Turkish host, and recovered for Hungary the suzerainty of Wallachia and Moldavia; and in July he vanquished a third Turkish army near the Iron Gates. These victories made Hunyadi’s name terrible to the Turks and renowned throughout Christendom, and stimulated him in 1443 to undertake, along with King Wladislaus, the famous expedition known as thehosszu háboruor “long campaign.” Hunyadi, at the head of the vanguard, crossed the Balkans through the Gate of Trajan, captured Nish, defeated three Turkish pashas, and, after taking Sofia, united with the royal army and defeated Murad II. at Snaim. The impatience of the king and the severity of the winter then compelled him (February 1444) to return home, but not before he had utterly broken the sultan’s power in Bosnia, Herzegovina, Servia, Bulgaria and Albania. No sooner had he regained Hungary than he received tempting offers from the pope, represented by the legate Cardinal Cesarini, from George Branković, despot of Servia, and George Castriota, prince of Albania, to resume the war and realize his favourite idea of driving the Turk from Europe. All the preparations had been made, when Murad’s envoys arrived in the royal camp at Szeged and offered a ten years’ truce on advantageous terms. Both Hunyadi and Branković counselled their acceptance, and Wladislaus swore on the Gospels to observe them. Two days later Cesarini received the tidings that a fleet of galleys had set off for the Bosporus to prevent Murad (who, crushed by his recent disasters, had retired to Asia Minor) from recrossing into Europe, and the cardinal reminded the king that he had sworn to co-operate by land if the western powers attacked the Turks by sea. He then, by virtue of his legatine powers, absolved the king from his second oath, and in July the Hungarian army recrossed the frontier and advanced towards the Euxine coast in order to march to Constantinople escorted by the galleys. Branković, however, fearful of the sultan’s vengeance in case of disaster, privately informed Murad of the advance of the Christian host, and prevented Castriota from joining it. On reaching Varna, the Hungarians found that the Venetian galleys had failed to prevent the transit of the sultan, who now confronted them with fourfold odds, and on the 10th of November 1444 they were utterly routed, Wladislaus falling on the field and Hunyadi narrowly escaping.

At the diet which met in February 1445 a provisional government, consisting of five Magyar captain-generals, was formed, Hunyadi receiving Transylvania and the ultra-Theissian counties as his district; but the resulting anarchy became unendurable, and on the 5th of June 1446 Hunyadi was unanimously elected governor of Hungary in the name of Ladislaus V., with regal powers. His first act as governor was to proceed against the German king Frederick III., who refused to deliver up the young king. After ravaging Styria, Carinthia and Carniola and threatening Vienna, Hunyadi’s difficulties elsewhere compelled him to make a truce with Frederick for two years. In 1448 he received a golden chain and the title of prince from Pope Nicholas V., and immediately afterwards resumed the war with the Turks. He lost the two days’ battle of Kossovo (October 17th-19th) owing to the treachery of Dan, hospodar of Wallachia, and of his old enemy Branković, who imprisoned him for a time in the dungeons of the fortress of Semendria; but he was ransomed by the Magyars, and, after composing his differences with his powerful and jealous enemies in Hungary, led a punitive expedition against the Servian prince, who was compelled to accept most humiliating terms of peace. In 1450 Hunyadi went to Pressburg to negotiate with Frederick the terms of the surrender of Ladislaus V., but no agreement could be come to, whereupon the Cilleis and Hunyadi’s other enemies accused him of aiming at the throne. He shut their mouths by resigning all his dignities into the hands of the young king, on his return to Hungary at the beginning of 1453, whereupon Ladislaus created him count of Bestercze and captain-general of the kingdom.

Meanwhile the Turkish question had again become acute, and it was plain, after the fall of Constantinople in 1453, that Mahommed II. was rallying his resources in order to subjugate Hungary. His immediate objective was Belgrade, and thither, at the end of 1455, Hunyadi repaired, after a public reconciliation with all his enemies. At his own expense he provisioned and armed the fortress, and leaving in it a strong garrison under the command of his brother-in-law Mihály Szilágyi and his own eldest son László, he proceeded to form a relief army and a fleet of two hundred corvettes. To the eternal shame of the Magyar nobles, he was left entirely to his own resources. His one ally was the Franciscan friar, Giovanni da Capistrano (q.v.), who preached a crusade so effectually that the peasants and yeomanry, ill-armed (most of them had but slings and scythes) but full of enthusiasm, flocked to the standard of Hunyadi, the kernel of whose host consisted of a small band of seasoned mercenaries and a fewbanderiaof noble horsemen. On the 14th of July 1456 Hunyadi with his flotilla destroyed the Turkish fleet; on the 21st Szilágyi beat off a fierce assault, and the same day Hunyadi, taking advantage of the confusion of the Turks, pursued them into their camp, which he captured after a desperate encounter. Mahommed thereupon raised the siege and returned to Constantinople, and the independence of Hungary was secured for another seventy years. The Magyars had, however, to pay dearly for this crowning victory, the hero dying of plague in his camp three weeks later (11th August 1456).

We are so accustomed to regard Hunyadi as the incarnation of Christian chivalry that we are apt to forget that he was a great captain and a great statesman as well as a great hero. It has well been said that he fought with his head rather than with his arm. He was the first to recognize the insufficiency and the unreliability of the feudal levies, the first to employ a regular army on a large scale, the first to depend more upon strategy and tactics than upon mere courage. He was in fact the first Hungarian general in the modern sense of the word. It was only late in life that he learnt to read and write, and his Latin was always very defective. He owed his influence partly to his natural genius and partly to the transparent integrity and nobility of his character. He is described as an undersized, stalwart man with full, rosy cheeks, long snow-white locks, and bright, smiling, black eyes.

See J. Teleki,The Age of the Hunyadis in Hungary(Hung.), (Pesth, 1852-1857; supplementary volumes by D. Csánki 1895); G. Fejér,Genus, incunabula et virtus Joannis Corvini de Hunyad(Buda, 1844); J. de Chassin,Jean de Hunyad(Paris, 1859); A. Pér,Life of Hunyadi(Hung.) (Budapest, 1873); V. Fraknói,Cardinal Carjaval and his Missions to Hungary(Hung.) (Budapest, 1889); P. Frankl,Der Friede von Szegedin und die Geschichte seines Bruches(Leipzig, 1904); R. N. Bain, “The Siege of Belgrade, 1456,” (Eng. Hist. Rev., 1892); A. Bonfini,Rerum ungaricarum libri xlv, editio septima(Leipzig, 1771).

See J. Teleki,The Age of the Hunyadis in Hungary(Hung.), (Pesth, 1852-1857; supplementary volumes by D. Csánki 1895); G. Fejér,Genus, incunabula et virtus Joannis Corvini de Hunyad(Buda, 1844); J. de Chassin,Jean de Hunyad(Paris, 1859); A. Pér,Life of Hunyadi(Hung.) (Budapest, 1873); V. Fraknói,Cardinal Carjaval and his Missions to Hungary(Hung.) (Budapest, 1889); P. Frankl,Der Friede von Szegedin und die Geschichte seines Bruches(Leipzig, 1904); R. N. Bain, “The Siege of Belgrade, 1456,” (Eng. Hist. Rev., 1892); A. Bonfini,Rerum ungaricarum libri xlv, editio septima(Leipzig, 1771).

(R. N. B.)

HUNYADI, LÁSZLÓ(1433-1457), Hungarian statesman and warrior, was the eldest son of János Hunyadi and Elizabeth Szilágyi. At a very early age he accompanied his father in his campaigns. After the battle of Kossovo (1448) he was left for a time, as a hostage for his father, in the hands of George Branković, despot of Servia. In 1452 he was a member of the deputation which went to Vienna to receive back the Hungarian king Ladislaus V. In 1453 he was already ban of Croatia-Dalmatia. At the diet of Buda (1455) he resigned all his dignities, because of the accusations of Ulrich Cillei and the other enemies of his house, but a reconciliation was ultimately patched up and he was betrothed to Maria, the daughter of the palatine, László Garai. After his father’s death in 1456, he was declared by his arch-enemy Cillei (now governor of Hungary with unlimited power), responsible for the debts alleged to be owing by the elder Hunyadi to the state; but he defended himself so ably at the diet of Futak (October 1456) that Cillei feigned a reconciliation,promising to protect the Hunyadis on condition that they first surrendered all the royal castles entrusted to them. A beginning was to be made with the fortress of Belgrade, of which László was commandant, Cillei intending to take the king with him to Belgrade and assassinate László within its walls. But Hunyadi was warned betimes, and while admitting Ladislaus V. and Cillei, he excluded their army of mercenaries. On the following morning (9th of November 1456) Cillei, during a private interview, suddenly drew upon László, but was himself cut down by the commandant’s friends, who rushed in on hearing the clash of weapons. The terrified young king, who had been privy to the plot, thereupon pardoned Hunyadi, and at a subsequent interview with his mother at Temesvár swore that he would protect the whole family. As a pledge of his sincerity he appointed László lord treasurer and captain-general of the kingdom. Suspecting no evil, Hunyadi accompanied the king to Buda, but on arriving there was arrested on a charge of compassing Ladislaus’s ruin, condemned to death without the observance of any legal formalities, and beheaded on the 16th of March 1457.

See I. Acsady,History of the Hungarian Realm(Hung.), vol. i. (Budapest, 1904).

See I. Acsady,History of the Hungarian Realm(Hung.), vol. i. (Budapest, 1904).

(R. N. B.)

HUNZA(also known asKanjut) andNAGAR,two small states on the North-west frontier of Kashmir, formerly under the administration of the Gilgit agency. The two states, which are divided by a river which runs in a bed 600 ft. wide between cliffs 300 ft. high, are inhabited generally by people of the same stock, speaking the same language, professing the same form of the Mahommedan religion, and ruled by princes sprung from the same family. Nevertheless they have been for centuries persistent rivals, and frequently at war with each other. Formerly Hunza was the more prominent of the two, because it held possession of the passes leading to the Pamirs, and could plunder the caravans on their way between Turkestan and India. But they are both shut up in a recess of the mountains, and were of no importance until about 1889, when the advance of Russia up to the frontiers of Afghanistan, and the great development of her military sources in Asia, increased the necessity for strengthening the British line of defence. This led to the establishment of the Gilgit agency, the occupation of Chitral, and the Hunza expedition of 1891, which asserted British authority over Hunza and Nagar. The country is inhabited by a Dard race of the Yeshkun caste speaking Burishki. For a description of the people see GILGIT. The Hunza-Nagar Expedition of 1891, under Colonel A. Durand, was due to the defiant attitude of the Hunza and Nagar chiefs towards the British agent at Gilgit. The fort at Nilt was stormed, and after a fortnight’s delay the cliffs (1000 ft. high) beyond it were also carried by assault. Hunza and Nagar were occupied, the chief of Nagar was reinstated on making his submission, and the half-brother of the raja of Hunza was installed as chief in the place of his brother.

HUON OF BORDEAUX,hero of romance. The Frenchchanson de gesteof Huon de Bordeaux dates from the first half of the 13th century, and marks the transition between the epicchansonfounded on national history and theroman d’aventures. Huon, son of Seguin of Bordeaux, kills Charlot, the emperor’s son, who had laid an ambush for him, without being aware of the rank of his assailant. He is condemned to be hanged by Charlemagne, but reprieved on condition that he visits the court of Gaudisse, the amir of Babylon, and brings back a handful of hair from the amir’s beard and four of his back teeth, after having slain the greatest of his knights and three times kissed his daughter Esclarmonde. By the help of the fairy dwarf Oberon, Huon succeeds in this errand, in the course of which he meets with further adventures. The Charlot of the story has been identified by A. Longnon (Romaniaviii. 1-11) with Charles l’Enfant, one of the sons of Charles the Bald and Irmintrude, who died in 866 in consequence of wounds inflicted by a certain Aubouin in precisely similar circumstances to those related in the romance. The epic father of Huon may safely be identified with Seguin, who was count of Bordeaux under Louis the Pious in 839, and died fighting against the Normans six years later. A Turin manuscript of the romance contains a prologue in the shape of a separate romance ofAuberon, and four sequels, theChanson d’Esclarmonde, theChanson de Clarisse et Florent, theChanson d’Ide et d’Oliveand theChanson de Godin. The same MS. contains in the romance ofLes Lorrainsa summary in seventeen lines of another version of the story, according to which Huon’s exile is due to his having slain a count in the emperor’s palace. The poem exists in a later version in alexandrines, and, with its continuations, was put into prose in 1454 and printed by Michel le Noir in 1516, since when it has appeared in many forms, notably in a beautifully printed and illustrated adaptation (1898) in modern French by Gaston Paris. The romance had a great vogue in England through the translation (c.1540) of John Bourchier, Lord Berners, asHuon of Burdeuxe. The tale was dramatized and produced in Paris by the Confrérie de la Passion in 1557, and in Philip Henslowe’s diary there is a note of a performance of a play,Hewen of Burdoche, on the 28th of December 1593. For the literary fortune of the fairy part of the romance seeOberon.

TheChanson de gesteof Huon de Bordeaux was edited by MM F. Guessard and C. Grandmaison for theAnciens poètes de la Francein 1860; Lord Berners’s translation was edited for the E.E.T.S. by S. L. Lee in 1883-1885. See also L. Gautier,Les Épopées françaises(2nd ed. vol. iii. pp. 719-773); A. Graf,I complementi della Chanson de Huon de Bordeaux(Halle, 1878); “Esclarmonde, &c.,” by Max Schweigel, inAusg. u. Abhandl ... der roman. phil.(Marburg, 1889); C. Voretzsch,Epische Studien(vol. i., Halle, 1900);Hist. litt. de la France(vol. xxvi., 1873).

TheChanson de gesteof Huon de Bordeaux was edited by MM F. Guessard and C. Grandmaison for theAnciens poètes de la Francein 1860; Lord Berners’s translation was edited for the E.E.T.S. by S. L. Lee in 1883-1885. See also L. Gautier,Les Épopées françaises(2nd ed. vol. iii. pp. 719-773); A. Graf,I complementi della Chanson de Huon de Bordeaux(Halle, 1878); “Esclarmonde, &c.,” by Max Schweigel, inAusg. u. Abhandl ... der roman. phil.(Marburg, 1889); C. Voretzsch,Epische Studien(vol. i., Halle, 1900);Hist. litt. de la France(vol. xxvi., 1873).

HUON PINE,botanical nameDacrydium Franklinii, the most valuable timber tree of Tasmania, a member of the order Coniferae (seeGymnosperms). It is a fine tree of pyramidal outline 80 to 100 ft. high, and 10 to 20 ft. in girth at the base, with slender pendulous much-divided branchlets densely covered with the minute scale-like sharply-keeled bright green leaves. It occurs in swampy localities from the upper Huon river to Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour, but is less abundant than formerly owing to the demand for its timber, especially for ship-and boat-building. The wood is close-grained and easily worked.

HU-PEH,a central province of China, bounded N. by Ho-nan, E. by Ngan-hui, S. by Hu-nan, and W. by Shen-si and Szech’uen. It has an area of 70,450 sq. m. and contains a population of 34,000,000. Han-kow, Ich’ang and Shasi are the three open ports of the province, besides which it contains ten other prefectural cities. The greater part of the province forms a plain, and its most noticeable feature is the Han river, which runs in a south-easterly direction across the province from its northwesterly corner to its junction with the Yangtsze Kiang at Han-kow. The products of the Han valley are exclusively agricultural, consisting of cotton, wheat, rape seed, tobacco and various kinds of beans. Vegetable tallow is also exported in large quantities from this part of Hu-peh. Gold is found in the Han, but not in sufficient quantities to make working it more than barely remunerative. It is washed every winter from banks of coarse gravel, a little above I-ch‘êng Hien, on which it is deposited by the river. Every winter the supply is exhausted by the washers, and every summer it is renewed by the river. Baron von Richthofen reckoned that the digger earned from 50 to 150 cash (i.e.about 1½d. to 4¼d.) a day. Only one waggon road leads northwards from Hu-peh, and that is to Nan-yang Fu in Ho-nan, where it forks, one branch going to Peking by way of K‘ai-fêng Fu, and the other into Shan-si by Ho-nan Fu.

HUPFELD, HERMANN(1796-1866), German Orientalist and Biblical commentator, was born on the 31st of March 1796 at Marburg, where he studied philosophy and theology from 1813 to 1817; in 1819 he became a teacher in the gymnasium at Hanau, but in 1822 resigned that appointment. After studying for some time at Halle, he in 1824 settled asPrivatdocentin philosophy at that university, and in the following year was appointed extraordinary professor of theology at Marburg. There he received the ordinary professorships of Oriental languages and of theology in 1827 and 1830 respectively; thirteen years later he removed as successor of Wilhelm Gesenius(1786-1842) to Halle. In 1865 he was accused by some theologians of the Hengstenberg school of heretical doctrines. From this charge, however, he successfully cleared himself, the entire theological faculty, including Julius Müller (1801-1878) and August Tholuck (1799-1877), bearing testimony to his sufficient orthodoxy. He died at Halle on the 24th of April 1866.

His earliest works in the department of Semitic philology (Exercitationes Aethiopicae, 1825, andDe emendanda ratione lexicographiae Semiticae, 1827) were followed by the first part (1841), mainly historical and critical, of anAusführliche Hebräische Grammatik, which he did not live to complete, and by a treatise on the early history of Hebrew grammar among the Jews (De rei grammaticae apud Judaeos initiis antiquissimisque scriptoribus, Halle, 1846). His principal contribution to Biblical literature, the exegetical and criticalÜbersetzung und Auslegung der Psalmen, began to appear in 1855, and was completed in 1861 (2nd ed. by E. Riehm, 1867-1871, 3rd ed. 1888). Other writings areÜber Begriff und Methode der sogenannten biblischen Einleitung(Marburg, 1844);De primitiva et vera festorum apud Hebraeos ratione(Halle, 1851-1864);Die Quellen der Genesis von neuem untersucht(Berlin, 1853);Die heutige theosophische oder mythologische Theologie und Schrifterklärung(1861).See E. Riehm,Hermann Hupfeld(Halle, 1867); W. Kay,CrisisHupfeldiana(1865); and the article by A. Kamphausen in Band viii. of Herzog-Hauck’sRealencyklopädie(1900).

His earliest works in the department of Semitic philology (Exercitationes Aethiopicae, 1825, andDe emendanda ratione lexicographiae Semiticae, 1827) were followed by the first part (1841), mainly historical and critical, of anAusführliche Hebräische Grammatik, which he did not live to complete, and by a treatise on the early history of Hebrew grammar among the Jews (De rei grammaticae apud Judaeos initiis antiquissimisque scriptoribus, Halle, 1846). His principal contribution to Biblical literature, the exegetical and criticalÜbersetzung und Auslegung der Psalmen, began to appear in 1855, and was completed in 1861 (2nd ed. by E. Riehm, 1867-1871, 3rd ed. 1888). Other writings areÜber Begriff und Methode der sogenannten biblischen Einleitung(Marburg, 1844);De primitiva et vera festorum apud Hebraeos ratione(Halle, 1851-1864);Die Quellen der Genesis von neuem untersucht(Berlin, 1853);Die heutige theosophische oder mythologische Theologie und Schrifterklärung(1861).

See E. Riehm,Hermann Hupfeld(Halle, 1867); W. Kay,CrisisHupfeldiana(1865); and the article by A. Kamphausen in Band viii. of Herzog-Hauck’sRealencyklopädie(1900).

HURD, RICHARD(1720-1808), English divine and writer, bishop of Worcester, was born at Congreve, in the parish of Penkridge, Staffordshire, where his father was a farmer, on the 13th of January 1720. He was educated at the grammar-school of Brewood and at Emmanuel College, Cambridge. He took his B.A. degree in 1739, and in 1742 he proceeded M.A. and became a fellow of his college. In the same year he was ordained deacon, and given charge of the parish of Reymerston, Norfolk, but he returned to Cambridge early in 1743. He was ordained priest in 1744. In 1748 he published someRemarkson anEnquiry into the Rejection of Christian Miracles by the Heathens(1746), by William Weston, a fellow of St John’s College, Cambridge. He prepared editions, which won the praise of Edward Gibbon,1of theArs poeticaandEpistola ad Pisones(1749), and theEpistola ad Augustum(1751) of Horace. A compliment in the preface to the edition of 1749 was the starting-point of a lasting friendship with William Warburton, through whose influence he was appointed one of the preachers at Whitehall in 1750. In 1765 he was appointed preacher at Lincoln’s Inn, and in 1767 he became archdeacon of Gloucester. In 1768 he proceeded D.D. at Cambridge, and delivered at Lincoln’s Inn the first Warburton lectures, which were published later (1772) asAn Introduction to the Study of the Prophecies concerning the Christian Church. He became bishop of Lichfield and Coventry in 1774, and two years later was selected to be tutor to the prince of Wales and the duke of York. In 1781 he was translated to the see of Worcester. He lived chiefly at Hartlebury Castle, where he built a fine library, to which he transferred Alexander Pope’s and Warburton’s books, purchased on the latter’s death. He was extremely popular at court, and in 1783, on the death of Archbishop Cornwallis, the king pressed him to accept the primacy, but Hurd, who was known, says Madame d’Arblay, as “The Beauty of Holiness,” declined it as a charge not suited to his temper and talents, and much too heavy for him to sustain. He died, unmarried, on the 28th of May 1808.

Hurd’sLetters on Chivalry and Romance(1762) retain a certain interest for their importance in the history of the romantic movement, which they did something to stimulate. They were written in continuation of a dialogue on the age of Queen Elizabeth included in hisMoral and Political Dialogues(1759). Two later dialoguesOn the Uses of Foreign Travelwere printed in 1763. Hurd wrote two acrimonious defences of Warburton:On the Delicacy of Friendship(1755), in answer to Dr J. Jortin; and aLetter(1764) to Dr Thomas Leland, who had criticized Warburton’sDoctrine of Grace. He edited theWorksof William Warburton, theSelect Works(1772) of Abraham Cowley, and left materials for an edition (6 vols., 1811) of Addison. His own works appeared in a collected edition in 8 vols. in 1811.

The chief sources for Bishop Hurd’s biography are “Dates of some occurrences in the life of the author,” written by himself and prefixed to vol. i. of his works (1811); “Memoirs of Dr Hurd” in theEcclesiastical and University ... Register(1809), pp. 399-452; John Nichols,Literary anecdotes, vol. vi. (1812), pp. 468-612; Francis Kilvert,Memoirs of ... Richard Hurd(1860), giving selections from Hurd’s commonplace book, some correspondence, and extracts from contemporary accounts of the bishop. A review of this work, entitled “Bishop Hurd and his Contemporaries,” appeared in theNorth British Review, vol. xxxiv. (1861), pp. 375-398.

The chief sources for Bishop Hurd’s biography are “Dates of some occurrences in the life of the author,” written by himself and prefixed to vol. i. of his works (1811); “Memoirs of Dr Hurd” in theEcclesiastical and University ... Register(1809), pp. 399-452; John Nichols,Literary anecdotes, vol. vi. (1812), pp. 468-612; Francis Kilvert,Memoirs of ... Richard Hurd(1860), giving selections from Hurd’s commonplace book, some correspondence, and extracts from contemporary accounts of the bishop. A review of this work, entitled “Bishop Hurd and his Contemporaries,” appeared in theNorth British Review, vol. xxxiv. (1861), pp. 375-398.

1“Examination of Dr Hurd’s Commentary on Horace’s Epistles” (Misc. Works, ed. John, Lord Sheffield, 1837, pp. 403-427).

1“Examination of Dr Hurd’s Commentary on Horace’s Epistles” (Misc. Works, ed. John, Lord Sheffield, 1837, pp. 403-427).

HURDLE(O. Eng.hyrdel, cognate with such Teutonic forms as Ger.Hürde, Dutchhorde, Eng. “hoarding”; in pre-Teutonic languages the word appears in Gr.κυρτία, wickerwork,κύρτη, Lat.cratis, basket, cf. “crate,” “grate”), a movable temporary fence, formed of a framework of light timber, wattled with smaller pieces of hazel, willow or other pliable wood, or constructed on the plan of a light five-barred field gate, filled in with brushwood. Similar movable frames can be made of iron, wire or other material. A construction of the same type is used in military engineering and fortification as a foundation for a temporary roadway across boggy ground or as a backing for earthworks.

HURDLE RACING,running races over short distances, at intervals in which a number of hurdles, or fence-like obstacles, must be jumped. This has always been a favourite branch of track athletics, the usual distances being 120 yds., 220 yds. and 440 yds. The 120 yds. hurdle race is run over ten hurdles 3 ft. 6 in. high and 10 yds. apart, with a space of 15 yds. from the start to the first hurdle and a like distance from the last hurdle to the finish. In Great Britain the hurdles are fixed and the race is run on grass; in America the hurdles, although of the same height, are not fixed, and the races are run on the cinder track. The “low hurdle race” of 220 yds. is run over ten hurdles 2 ft. 6. in. high and 20 yds. apart, with like distances between the start and the first hurdle and between the last hurdle and the finish. The record time for the 120 yds. race on grass is 153⁄5secs., and on cinders 151⁄5secs., both of which were performed by A. C. Kraenzlein, who also holds the record for the 220 yds. low hurdle race, 233⁄5secs. For 440 yds. over hurdles the record time is 574⁄5secs., by T. M. Donovan, and by J. B. Densham at Kennington Oval in 1907.

HURDY-GURDY(Fr.vielle à manivelle,symphonieorchyfonie à roue; Ger.Bauernleier,Deutscheleier,Bettlerleier,Radleier; Ital.lira tedesca,lira rustica,lira pagana), now loosely used as a synonym for any grinding organ, but strictly a medieval drone instrument with strings set in vibration by the friction. of a wheel, being a development of theorganistrum(q.v.) reduced in size so that it could be conveniently played by one person instead of two. It consisted of a box or soundchest, sometimes rectangular, but more generally having the outline of the guitar; inside it had a wheel, covered with leather and rosined, and worked by means of a crank at the tail end of the instrument. On the fingerboard were placed movable frets or keys, which, on being depressed, stopped the strings, at points corresponding to the diatonic intervals of the scale. At first there were 4 strings, later 6. In the organistrum three strings, acted on simultaneously by the keys, produced the rude harmony known asorganum. When this passed out of favour, superseded by the first beginnings of polyphony over a pedal bass, the organistrum gave place to the hurdy-gurdy. Instead of acting on all the strings, the keys now affected the first string only, or “chanterelle,” though in some cases certain keys, made longer, also reached the third string or “trompette”; the result was that a diatonic melody could be played on the chanterelles. The other open strings always sounded simultaneously as long as the wheel was turned, like drones on the bag-pipe.

The hurdy-gurdy originated in France at the time when the Paris School or Old French School was laying the foundations of counterpoint and polyphony. During the 13th and 14th centuries it was known by the name ofSymphonia or Chyfonie, and in GermanyLiraorLeyer. Its popularity remained undiminished in France until late in the 18th century. Although the hurdy-gurdy never obtained recognition among serious musicians in Germany, the idea embodied in the mechanism stimulatedingenuity, the result being such musical curiosities as theGeigenwerkorGeigen-Clavicymbelof Hans Hayden of Nuremberg (c.1600), a harpsichord in which the strings, instead of being plucked by quills, were set in vibration by friction of one of the little steel wheels, covered with parchment and well rosined, which were kept rotating by means of a large wheel and a series of cylinders worked by treadles. Other instruments of similar type were theBogenclavierinvented by Joh. Hohlfeld of Berlin in 1751 and the Bogenflügel by C. A. Meyer of Görlitz in 1794. In Adam Walker’sCelestina(1772) the friction was provided by a running band instead of a bow.

(K. S.)

HURLSTONE, FREDERICK YEATES(1800-1869), English painter, was born in London, his father being a proprietor of theMorning Chronicle. His grand-uncle, Richard Hurlstone, had been a well-known portrait-painter a generation earlier. F. Y. Hurlstone studied under Sir W. Beechey, Sir T. Lawrence and B. R. Haydon, and in 1820 became a student at the Royal Academy, where he soon began to exhibit. In 1823 he won the Academy’s gold medal for historical painting. In 1831 he was elected to the Society of British Artists, of which in 1835 he became president; it was to their exhibitions that he sent most of his pictures, as he became a pronounced critic of the management of the Academy. He died in London on the 10th of June 1869. His historical paintings and portraits were very numerous. Some of the most representative are “A Venetian Page” (1824), “The Enchantress Armida” (1831), “Eros” (1836), “Prisoner of Chillon” (1837), “Girl of Sorrento” (1847), “Boabdil” (1854), and his portrait of the 7th earl of Cavan (1833).

HURON(a French term, fromhuré, bristled, early used as an expression of contempt, signifying “lout”), a nickname given by the French when first in Canada to certain Indian tribes of Iroquoian stock, occupying a territory, which similarly was called Huronia, in Ontario, and constituting a confederation called in their own tongue Wendat (“islanders”), which was corrupted by the English into Yendat, Guyandotte and then Wyandot. The name persists for the small section of “Hurons of Lorette,” in Quebec, but the remnant of the old Huron Confederacy which after its dispersal in the 17th century settled in Ohio and was afterwards removed to Oklahoma is generally called Wyandot. For their history seeWyandot, andIndians, North American(under “Indian Wars”;AlgonkianandIroquoian).

SeeHandbook of American Indians(Washington, 1907), s.v. “Huron.”

SeeHandbook of American Indians(Washington, 1907), s.v. “Huron.”

HURON,the second largest of the Great Lakes of North America, including Georgian Bay and the channel north of Manitoulin Island, which are always associated with it. It lies between the parallels of 43° and 46° 20′ N. and between the meridians of 80° and 84° W., and is bounded W. by the state of Michigan, and N. and E. by the province of Ontario, Georgian Bay and North Channel being wholly within Canadian territory. The main portion of the lake is 235 m. long from the Strait of Mackinac to St Clair river, and 98 m. wide on the 45th parallel of latitude. Georgian Bay is 125 m. long, with a greatest width of 60 m., while North Channel is 120 m. long, with an extreme width of 16 m., the whole lake having an area of 23,200 sq. m. The surface is 581 ft. above the sea. The main lake reaches a depth of 802 ft.; Georgian bay shows depths, especially near its west shore, of over 300 ft.; North Channel has depths of 180 ft. Lake Huron is 20 ft. lower than Lake Superior, whose waters it receives at its northern extremity through St. Mary river, is on the same level as Lake Michigan, which connects with its north-west extremity through the Strait of Mackinac, and is nearly 9 ft. higher than Lake Erie, into which it discharges at its south extremity through St Clair river.

On the mainland, the north and east shores are of gneisses and granites of archaean age, with a broken and hilly surface rising in places to 600 ft. above the lake and giving a profusion of islands following the whole shore line from the river St Mary to Waubaushene at the extreme east end of Georgian bay. Manitoulin Island and the Saugeen Peninsula are comparatively flat and underlaid by a level bed of Trenton limestone. The southern shores, skirting the peninsula of Michigan, are flat. The rock formations are of sandstone and limestone, while the forests are either a tangled growth of pine and spruce or a scattered growth of small trees on a sandy soil. This shore is indented by Thunder bay, 78 sq. m. in area, and Saginaw bay, 50 m. deep and 26 m. wide across its mouth.The chief tributaries of the lake on the U.S. side are Thunder bay river, Au Sable river and Saginaw river. On the Canadian side are Serpent river, Spanish river, French river, draining Lake Nipissing, Muskoka river, Severn river, draining lake Simcoe, and Nottawasaga river, all emptying into Georgian bay and North Channel, and Saugeen and Maitland rivers, flowing into the main lake. These have been or are largely used in connexion with pine lumbering operations. They, with smaller streams, drain a basin of 75,300 sq. m.

On the mainland, the north and east shores are of gneisses and granites of archaean age, with a broken and hilly surface rising in places to 600 ft. above the lake and giving a profusion of islands following the whole shore line from the river St Mary to Waubaushene at the extreme east end of Georgian bay. Manitoulin Island and the Saugeen Peninsula are comparatively flat and underlaid by a level bed of Trenton limestone. The southern shores, skirting the peninsula of Michigan, are flat. The rock formations are of sandstone and limestone, while the forests are either a tangled growth of pine and spruce or a scattered growth of small trees on a sandy soil. This shore is indented by Thunder bay, 78 sq. m. in area, and Saginaw bay, 50 m. deep and 26 m. wide across its mouth.

The chief tributaries of the lake on the U.S. side are Thunder bay river, Au Sable river and Saginaw river. On the Canadian side are Serpent river, Spanish river, French river, draining Lake Nipissing, Muskoka river, Severn river, draining lake Simcoe, and Nottawasaga river, all emptying into Georgian bay and North Channel, and Saugeen and Maitland rivers, flowing into the main lake. These have been or are largely used in connexion with pine lumbering operations. They, with smaller streams, drain a basin of 75,300 sq. m.

There is a slight current in Lake Huron skirting the west shore from inlet to outlet. At the south end it turns and passes up the east coast. There is also a return current south of Manitoulin Island and a current, sometimes attaining a strength of half a knot, passes into Georgian bay through the main entrance. Ice and navigation conditions and yearly levels are similar to those on the other Great Lakes (q.v.).

Practically all the United States traffic is confined to vessels passing through the main lake between Lakes Superior and Michigan and Lake Erie, but on the Canadian side are several railway termini which receive grain mostly from Lake Superior, and deliver mixed freight to ports on that lake. The chief of these are Parry Sound, Midland, Victoria Harbour, Collingwood, Owen Sound, Southampton, Kincardine, Goderich and Sarnia, at the outlet of the lake. The construction of a ship canal to connect Georgian bay with Montreal by way of French river, Lake Nipissing and Ottawa river began in 1910. A river and lake route with connecting canals, in all about 440 m. long, will be opened for vessels of 20 ft. draught at a cost estimated at £20,000,000 saving some 340 miles in the distance from Lake Superior or Lake Michigan to the sea.

There is a large fishing industry in Lake Huron, the Canadian catch being valued at over a quarter million dollars per annum. Salmon trout (Salvelinus namaycush, Walb.) and whitefish (Coregonus clupeiformis, Mitchill) are the most numerous and valuable. Amongst the islands on the east shore of Georgian bay, which are greatly frequented as a summer resort, black bass (micropterus) and maskinonge (Esox nobilior, Le Sueur) are a great attraction to anglers.

SeeGeorgian Bay and North Channel Pilot, Department of Marine and Fisheries (Ottawa, 1903);Sailing Directions for Lake Huron, Canadian Shore, Department of Marine and Fisheries (Ottawa, 1905);Bulletin No. 17, Survey of Northern and North-Western Lakes, United States, War Department (Washington, 1907);U.S. Hydrographic Office Publication, No. 108 C. Sailing Directions for Lake Huron, &c. U.S. Navy Department (Washington, 1901).

SeeGeorgian Bay and North Channel Pilot, Department of Marine and Fisheries (Ottawa, 1903);Sailing Directions for Lake Huron, Canadian Shore, Department of Marine and Fisheries (Ottawa, 1905);Bulletin No. 17, Survey of Northern and North-Western Lakes, United States, War Department (Washington, 1907);U.S. Hydrographic Office Publication, No. 108 C. Sailing Directions for Lake Huron, &c. U.S. Navy Department (Washington, 1901).

HURRICANE,a wind-storm of great force and violence, originally as experienced in the West Indies; it is now used to describe similar storms in other regions, except in the East Indies and the Chinese seas, where they are generally known as “typhoons.” Hurricane is the strongest force of wind in the Beaufort scale. The Caribbean wordhuracanwas introduced by the Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch explorers of the 15th and 16th centuries into many European languages, as in Span.huracan, Portu.furacao, Ital.uracane, Fr.ouragan, and in Swed., Ger. and Dutch asorkan, ororkaan. A “hurricane-deck” is an upper deck on a steamer which protects the lower one, and incidentally serves as a promenade.

HURRY(orUrry),SIR JOHN(d. 1650), British soldier, was born in Aberdeenshire, and saw much service as a young man in Germany. In 1641 he returned home and became Lieut.-Colonel in a Scottish regiment. At the end of the same year he was involved in the plot known as the “Incident.” At the outbreak of the Civil War Hurry joined the army of the earl of Essex, and was distinguished at Edgehill and Brentford. Early in 1643 he deserted to the Royalists, bringing with him information on which Rupert acted at once. Thus was brought about the action of Chalgrove Field, where Hurry again showed conspicuous valour; he was knighted on the same evening. In 1644 he was with Rupert at Marston Moor, where with Lucas he led the victorious left wing of horse. But a little later, thinking the King’s cause lost, he again deserted, and eventually was sent with Baillie against Montrose in the Highlands. Hisdetached operations were conducted with great skill, but his attempt to surprise Montrose’s camp at Auldearn ended in a complete disaster, partly on account of the accident of the men discharging their pieces before starting on the march. Soon afterwards he once more joined Charles’s party, and he was taken prisoner in the disastrous campaign of Preston (1648). Sir John Hurry was Montrose’s Major-General in the last desperate attempt of the Scottish Royalists. Taken at Carbisdale, he was beheaded at Edinburgh, May 29th, 1650. A soldier of fortune of great bravery, experience and skill, his frequent changes of front were due rather to laxity of political principles than to any calculated idea of treason.

HURST, JOHN FLETCHER(1834-1903), American Methodist Episcopal bishop, was born in Salem, Dorchester county, Maryland, on the 17th of August 1834. He graduated at Dickinson College in 1854, and in 1856 went to Germany and studied at Halle and Heidelberg. From 1858 to 1867 he was engaged in pastoral work in America, and from 1867 to 1871 he taught in Methodist mission institutes in Germany. In 1871-1873 he was professor of historical theology at Drew Theological Seminary, Madison, New Jersey, of which he was president from 1873 till 1880, when he was made a bishop. He died at Bethesda, Maryland, on the 4th of May 1903. Bishop Hurst, by his splendid devotion in 1876-1879, recovered the endowment of Drew Theological Seminary, lost by the failure in 1876 of Daniel Drew, its founder; and with McClintock and Crooks he improved the quality of Methodist scholarship. The American University (Methodist Episcopal) at Washington, D.C., for postgraduate work was the outcome of his projects, and he was its chancellor from 1891 to his death.

He publishedA History of Rationalism(1866); Hagenbach’sChurch History of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries(2 vols., 1869); von Oosterzee’sJohn’s Gospel: Apologetical Lectures(1869); Lange’sCommentary on the Epistle to the Romans(1869);Martyrs to the Tract Cause: A Contribution to the History of the Reformation(1872), a translation and revision of Thelemann’sMärtyrer der Traktatsache(1864);Outlines of Bible History(1873);Outlines of Church History(1874);Life and Literature in the Fatherland(1875), brilliant sketches of Germany; a brief pamphlet,Our Theological Century(1877);Bibliotheca Theologica(1883), a compilation by his students, revised by G. W. Gillmore in 1895 under the titleLiterature of Theology; Indika: the Country and People of India and Ceylon(1891), the outgrowth of his travels in 1884-1885 when he held the conferences of India; and several church histories (Chautauqua text-books) published together asA Short History of the Christian Church(1893).

He publishedA History of Rationalism(1866); Hagenbach’sChurch History of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries(2 vols., 1869); von Oosterzee’sJohn’s Gospel: Apologetical Lectures(1869); Lange’sCommentary on the Epistle to the Romans(1869);Martyrs to the Tract Cause: A Contribution to the History of the Reformation(1872), a translation and revision of Thelemann’sMärtyrer der Traktatsache(1864);Outlines of Bible History(1873);Outlines of Church History(1874);Life and Literature in the Fatherland(1875), brilliant sketches of Germany; a brief pamphlet,Our Theological Century(1877);Bibliotheca Theologica(1883), a compilation by his students, revised by G. W. Gillmore in 1895 under the titleLiterature of Theology; Indika: the Country and People of India and Ceylon(1891), the outgrowth of his travels in 1884-1885 when he held the conferences of India; and several church histories (Chautauqua text-books) published together asA Short History of the Christian Church(1893).

HURSTMONCEAUX(alsoHerstmonceaux), a village in the Eastbourne parliamentary division of Sussex, England, 9 m. N.E. of Eastbourne. Pop. (1901) 1429. The village takes its name from Waleran de Monceux, lord of the manor after the Conquest, but the castle, for the picturesque ruins of which the village is famous, was built in the reign of Henry VI. by Sir Roger de Fiennes. It is moated, and is a fine specimen of 15th-century brickwork, the buildings covering an almost square quadrangle measuring about 70 yds. in the side. Towers flank the corners, and there is a beautiful turreted entrance gate, but only the foundations of most of the buildings ranged round the inner courts are to be traced. The church of All Saints is in the main Early English, and contains interesting monuments to members of the Fiennes family and others. In the churchyard is the tomb of Archdeacon Julius Charles Hare, the theologian (1855). Much material from the castle was used in the erection of Hurstmonceaux Place, a mansion of the 18th century.


Back to IndexNext