Chapter 22

KINGUSSIE,a town of Inverness-shire, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 987. It lies at a height of 750 ft. above sea-level, on the left bank of the Spey, here crossed by a bridge, 46½ m. S. by S.E. of Inverness by the Highland railway. It was founded towards the end of the 18th century by the duke of Gordon, in the hope of its becoming a centre of woollen manufactures. This expectation, however, was not realized, but in time the place grew popular as a health resort, the scenery in every direction being remarkably picturesque. On the right bank of the river is Ruthven, where James Macpherson was born in 1736, and on the left bank, some 2½ m. from Kingussie, is the house of Belleville (previously known as Raitts) which he acquired from Mackintosh of Borlum and where he died in 1796. The mansion, renamed Balavil by Macpherson’s great-grandson, was burned down in 1903, when the fine library (including some MSS. of Sir David Brewster, who had married the poet’s second daughter) was destroyed. Of Ruthven Castle, one of the residences of the Comyns of Badenoch, only the ruins of the walls remain. Here the Jacobites made an ineffectual rally under Lord George Murray after the battle of Culloden.

KING WILLIAM’S TOWN,a town of South Africa, in the Cape province and on the Buffalo River, 42 m. by rail W.N.W. of the port of East London. Pop. (1904), 9506, of whom 5987 were whites. It is the headquarters of the Cape Mounted Police. “King,” as the town is locally called, stands 1275 ft. above the sea at the foot of the Amatola Mountains, and in the midst of a thickly populated agricultural district. The town is well laid out and most of the public buildings and merchants’ stores are built of stone. There are manufactories of sweets and jams, candles, soap, matches and leather, and a large trade in wool, hides and grains is done with East London. “King” is also an important entrepôt for trade with the natives throughout Kaffraria, with which there is direct railway communication. Founded by Sir Benjamin D’Urban in May 1835 during the Kaffir War of that year, the town is named after William IV. It was abandoned in December 1836, but was reoccupied in 1846 and was the capital of British Kaffraria from its creation in 1847 to its incorporation in 1865 with Cape Colony. Many of the colonists in the neighbouring districts are descendants of members of the German legion disbanded after the Crimean War and provided with homes in Cape Colony; hence such names as Berlin, Potsdam, Braunschweig, Frankfurt, given to settlements in this part of the country.

KINKAJOU(Cercoleptes caudivolvulusorPotos flavus), the single species of an aberrant genus of the raccoon family (Procyonidae). It has been split up into a number of local races. Anative of the forests of the warmer parts of South and Central America, the kinkajou is about the size of a cat, of a uniform pale, yellowish-brown colour, nocturnal and arboreal in its habits, feeding on fruit, honey, eggs and small birds and mammals, and is of a tolerably gentle disposition and easily tamed. (SeeCarnivora.)

KINKEL, JOHANN GOTTFRIED(1815-1882), German poet, was born on the 11th of August 1815 at Obercassel near Bonn. Having studied theology at Bonn and afterwards in Berlin, he established himself at Bonn in 1836 asprivat docentof theology, later became master at the gymnasium there, and was for a short time assistant preacher in Cologne. Changing his religious opinions, he abandoned theology and delivered lectures on the history of art, in which he had become interested on a journey to Italy in 1837. In 1846 he was appointed extraordinary professor of the history of art at Bonn University. For his share in the revolution in the Palatinate in 1849 Kinkel was arrested and, sentenced to penal servitude for life, was interned in the fortress of Spandau. His friend Carl Schurz contrived in November 1850 to effect his escape to England, whence he went to the United States. Returning to London in 1853, he for several years taught German and lectured on German literature, and in 1858 founded the German paperHermann. In 1866 he accepted the professorship of archaeology and the history of art at the Polytechnikum in Zürich, in which city he died on the 13th of November 1882.

The popularity which Kinkel enjoyed in his day was hardly justified by his talent; his poetry is of the sweetly sentimental type which was much in vogue in Germany about the middle of the 19th century. HisGedichtefirst appeared in 1843, and have gone through several editions. He is to be seen to most advantage in the verse romances,Otto der Schütz, eine rheinische Geschichte in zwölf Abenteuern(1846) which in 1896 had attained its 75th edition, andDer Grobschmied von Antwerpen(1868). Among Kinkel’s other works may be mentioned the tragedyNimrod(1857), and his history of art,Geschichte der bildenden Künste bei den christlichen Völkern(1845). Kinkel’s first wife, Johanna,néeMockel (1810-1858), assisted her husband in his literary work, and was herself an author of considerable merit. Her admirable autobiographical novelHans Ibeles in Londonwas not published until 1860, after her death. She also wrote on musical subjects.

See A. Strodtmann,Gottfried Kinkel(2 vols., Hamburg, 1851); and O. Henne am Rhyn,G. Kinkel, ein Lebensbild(Zürich, 1883).

See A. Strodtmann,Gottfried Kinkel(2 vols., Hamburg, 1851); and O. Henne am Rhyn,G. Kinkel, ein Lebensbild(Zürich, 1883).

KINNING PARK,a southern suburb of Glasgow, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 13,852. It is situated on the left bank of the Clyde between Glasgow, with which it is connected by tramway and subway, and Govan. Since 1850 it has grown from a rural village to a busy centre mainly inhabited by artisans and labourers. Its principal industries are engineering, bread and biscuit baking, soap-making and paint-making.

KINNOR(Gr.κινύρα), the Hebrew name for an ancient stringed instrument, the first mentioned in the Bible (Gen. iv. 21), where it is now always translated “harp.” The identification of the instrument has been much discussed, but, from the standpoint of the history of musical instruments, the weight of evidence is in favour of the view that the Semitickinnoris the Greekcithara(q.v.). This instrument was already in use before 2000B.C.among the Semitic races and in a higher state of development than it ever attained in Greece during the best classic period. It is unlikely that an instrument (which also appears on Hebrew coins) so widely known and used in various parts of Asia Minor in remote times, and occurring among the Hittite sculptures, should pass unmentioned in the Bible, with the exception of the verses in Dan. iii.

KINO,the West African name of an astringent drug introduced into European medicine in 1757 by John Fothergill. When described by him it was believed to have been brought from the river Gambia in West Africa, and when first imported it was sold in England asGummi rubrum astringens gambiense. It was obtained fromPterocarpus erinaceus. The drug now recognized as the legitimate kind is East Indian, Malabar or Amboyna kino, which is the evaporated juice obtained from incisions in the trunk ofPterocarpus Marsupium(Leguminosae), though Botany Bay or eucalyptus kino is used in Australia. When exuding from the tree it resembles red-currant jelly, but hardens in a few hours after exposure to the air and sun. When sufficiently dried it is packed into wooden boxes for exportation. When these are opened it breaks up into angular brittle fragments of a blackish-red colour and shining surface. In cold water it is only partially dissolved, leaving a pale flocculent residue which is soluble in boiling water but deposited again on cooling. It is soluble in alcohol and caustic alkalis, but not in ether.

The chief constituent of the drug is kino-tannic acid, which is present to the extent of about 75 %; it is only very slightly soluble in cold water. It is not absorbed at all from the stomach and only very slowly from the intestine. Other constituents are gum, pyrocatechin, and kinoin, a crystalline neutral principle. Kino-red is also present in small quantity, being an oxidation product of kino-tannic acid. The useful preparations of this drug are the tincture (dose ½-1 drachm), and thepulvis kino compositus(dose 5-20 gr.) which contains one part of opium in twenty. The drug is frequently used in diarrhoea, its value being due to the relative insolubility of kino-tannic acid, which enables it to affect the lower part of the intestine. In this respect it is parallel with catechu. It is not now used as a gargle, antiseptics being recognized as the rational treatment for sore-throat.

KINORHYNCHA,an isolated group of minute animals containing the single genusEchinoderesF. Dujardin, with some eighteen species. They occur in mud and on sea-weeds at the bottom of shallow seas below low-water mark and devour organic débris.

The body is enclosed in a stout cuticle, prolonged in places into spines and bristles. These are especially conspicuous in two rings round the proboscis and in the two posterior caudal spines. The body is divided into eleven segments and the protrusible proboscis apparently into two, and the cuticle of the central segment is thickened to form three plates, one dorsal and two ventrolateral. The cuticle is secreted by an epidermis in which no cell boundaries are to be seen; it sends out processes into the bristles. The mouth opens at the tip of the retractile proboscis; it leads into a short thin-walled tube which opens into an oval muscular gizzard lined with a thick cuticle; at the posterior end of this are some minute glands and then follows a large stomach slightly sacculated in each segment, this tapers through the rectum to the terminal anus. A pair of pear-shaped, ciliated glands inside lie in the eighth segment and open on the ninth. They are regarded as kidneys. The nervous system consists of a ganglion or brain, which lies dorsally about the level of the junction of the pharynx and the stomach, a nerve ring and a segmented neutral cord. The only sense organs described are eyes, which occur in some species, and may number one to four pairs.

The Kinorhyncha are dioecious. The testes reach forward to the fifth and even to the second segment, and open one each side of the anus. The ovaries open in a similar position but never reach farther forward than the fourth segment. The external openings in the male are armed with a pair of hollowed spines. The animals are probably oviparous.

Literature.—F. Dujardin,Ann. Sci. Nat., 3rd series, Zool. xv. 1851, p. 158; W. Reinhard,Zeitschr. wiss. Zool.xlv. 1887, pp. 401-467, t. xx.-xxii.; C. Zelinka,Verh. d. Deutsch. Zool. Ges., 1894.

Literature.—F. Dujardin,Ann. Sci. Nat., 3rd series, Zool. xv. 1851, p. 158; W. Reinhard,Zeitschr. wiss. Zool.xlv. 1887, pp. 401-467, t. xx.-xxii.; C. Zelinka,Verh. d. Deutsch. Zool. Ges., 1894.

(A. E. S.)

KINROSS-SHIRE,a county of Scotland, bounded N. and W. by Perthshire, on the extreme S.W. by Clackmannanshire and S. and E. by Fifeshire. Its area is 52,410 acres or 81.9 sq. m. Excepting Clackmannan it is the smallest county in Scotland both in point of area and of population. On its confines the shire is hilly. To the N. and W. are several peaks of the Ochils, the highest being Innerdouny (1621 ft.) and Mellock (1573); to the E. are the heights of the Lomond group, such as White Craigs (1492 ft.) and Bishop Hill; to the S. are Benarty (1131 ft.) on the Fife border and farther west the Cleish Hills, reaching in Dumglow an altitude of 1241 ft. With the exception of the Leven, which drains Loch Leven and of which only the first mile of its course belongs to the county, all the streams are short. Green’s Burn, the North and South Queich, and the Gairney are the principal. Loch Leven, the only lake, is remarkable rather for its associations than its natural features. The scenery on the Devon, west of the Crook, the river here forming the boundary with Perthshire, is of a lovely and romantic character. At one place the stream rushes through the rocky gorge with a loud clacking sound which has given to the spot the name of the Devil’s Mill, and later it flows under the Rumbling Bridge. In reality there are two bridges, one built over the other, in the same vertical line. The lower one dates from 1713 and is unused; but the loftier and larger one, erected in 1816, commands a beautiful view. A little farther west is the graceful cascade of the Caldron Linn, the fall of which was lessened, however, by a collapse of the rocks in 1886.

Geology.—The northern higher portion of the county is occupied by the Lower Old Red Sandstone volcanic lavas and agglomerates of the Ochils. The coarse character of some of the lower agglomerate beds is well seen in the gorge at Rumbling Bridge. The beds dip gently towards the S.S.E.; in a north-easterly direction they contain more sandy sediments, and the agglomerates and breccias frequently become conglomerates. The plain of Kinross is occupied by the soft sandstones, marls and conglomerates of the upper Old Red Sandstone, which rest unconformably upon the lower division with a strong dip. Southward and eastward these rocks dip conformably beneath the Lower Carboniferous cement stone series of the Calciferous Sandstone group. The overlying Carboniferous limestone occupies only a small area in the south and east of the county. Intrusive basalt sheets have been intercalated between some of the Carboniferous strata, and the superior resisting power of this rock has been the cause of the existence of West Lomond, Benarty, Cleish Hills and Bishop Hill, which are formed of soft marls and sandstones capped by basalt. The Hurlet limestone is worked on the Lomond and Bishop Hills. East- and west-running dikes of basalt are found in the north-east of the county, traversing the Old Red volcanic rocks. Kames of gravel and sand and similar glacial detritus are widely spread over the older rocks.

Geology.—The northern higher portion of the county is occupied by the Lower Old Red Sandstone volcanic lavas and agglomerates of the Ochils. The coarse character of some of the lower agglomerate beds is well seen in the gorge at Rumbling Bridge. The beds dip gently towards the S.S.E.; in a north-easterly direction they contain more sandy sediments, and the agglomerates and breccias frequently become conglomerates. The plain of Kinross is occupied by the soft sandstones, marls and conglomerates of the upper Old Red Sandstone, which rest unconformably upon the lower division with a strong dip. Southward and eastward these rocks dip conformably beneath the Lower Carboniferous cement stone series of the Calciferous Sandstone group. The overlying Carboniferous limestone occupies only a small area in the south and east of the county. Intrusive basalt sheets have been intercalated between some of the Carboniferous strata, and the superior resisting power of this rock has been the cause of the existence of West Lomond, Benarty, Cleish Hills and Bishop Hill, which are formed of soft marls and sandstones capped by basalt. The Hurlet limestone is worked on the Lomond and Bishop Hills. East- and west-running dikes of basalt are found in the north-east of the county, traversing the Old Red volcanic rocks. Kames of gravel and sand and similar glacial detritus are widely spread over the older rocks.

Climate and Industries.—The lower part of the county is generally well sheltered and adapted to all kinds of crops; and the climate, though wet and cold, offers no hindrance to high farming. The average annual rainfall is 35.5 inches, and the temperature for the year is 48° F., for January 38° F. and for July 59°.5 F. More than half of the holdings exceed 50 acres each. Much of the land has been reclaimed, the mossy tracts when drained and cultivated being very fertile. Barley is the principal crop, and oats also is grown largely, but the acreage under wheat is small. Turnips and potatoes are the chief green crops, the former the more important. The raising of livestock is pursued with great enterprise, the hilly land being well suited for this industry, although many cattle are pastured on the lowland farms. The cattle are mainly a native breed, which has been much improved by crossing. The number of sheep is high for the area. Although most of the horses are used for agricultural work, a considerable proportion are kept solely for breeding. Tartans, plaids and other woollens, and linen are manufactured at Kinross and Milnathort, which is besides an important centre for livestock sales. Brewing and milling are also carried on in the county town, but stock-raising and agriculture are the staple interests. The North British railway company’s lines, from the south and west run through the county via Kinross, and the Mid-Fife line branches off at Mawcarse Junction.

Population and Government.—The population was 6673 in 1891 and 6981 in 1901, when 55 persons spoke Gaelic and English. The only towns are Kinross (pop. in 1901, 2136) and Milnathort (1052). Kinross is the county town, and of considerable antiquity. The county unites with Clackmannanshire to return one member to parliament. It forms a sheriffdom with Fifeshire and a sheriff-substitute sits at Kinross. The shire is under school-board jurisdiction.

History.—For several centuries the shire formed part of Fife, and during that period shared its history. Towards the middle of the 13th century, however, the parishes of Kinross and Orwell seem to have been constituted into a shire, which, at the date (1305) of Edward I.’s ordinance for the government of Scotland, had become an hereditary sheriffdom, John of Kinross then being named for the office. James I. dispensed with the attendance of small barons in 1427 and introduced the principle of representation, when the shire returned one member to the Scots parliament. The inclusion of the Fife parishes of Portmoak, Cleish and Tullibole in 1685, due to the influence of Sir William Bruce, the royal architect and heritable sheriff, converted the older shire into the modern county. Excepting, however, the dramatic and romantic episodes connected with the castle of Loch Leven, the annals of the shire, so far as the national story is concerned, are vacant. As to its antiquities, there are traces of an ancient fort or camp on the top of Dumglow, and on a hill on the northern boundary of the parish of Orwell a remarkable cairn, called Cairn-a-vain, in the centre of which a stone cist was discovered in 1810 containing an urn full of bones and charcoal. Close to the town of Kinross, on the margin of Loch Leven, stands Kinross House, which was built in 1685 by Sir William Bruce as a residence for the Duke of York (James II.) in case the Exclusion Bill should debar him from the throne of England. The mansion, however, was never occupied by royalty.

See Æ. J. G. Mackay,History of Fife and Kinross(Edinburgh, 1896); W. J. N. Liddall,The Place Names of Fife and Kinross(Edinburgh, 1895); C. Ross,Antiquities of Kinross-shire(Perth, 1886); R. B. Begg,History of Lochleven Castle(Kinross, 1887).

See Æ. J. G. Mackay,History of Fife and Kinross(Edinburgh, 1896); W. J. N. Liddall,The Place Names of Fife and Kinross(Edinburgh, 1895); C. Ross,Antiquities of Kinross-shire(Perth, 1886); R. B. Begg,History of Lochleven Castle(Kinross, 1887).

KINSALE,a market town and seaport of Co. Cork, Ireland, in the south-east parliamentary division, on the east shore of Kinsale Harbour (the estuary of the Bandon river) 24 m. south of Cork by the Cork Bandon & South Coast railway, the terminus of a branch line. Pop. of urban district (1901), 4250. The town occupies chiefly the acclivity of Compass Hill, and while of picturesque appearance is built in a very irregular manner, the streets being narrow and precipitous. The Charles Fort was completed by the duke of Ormonde in 1677 and captured by the earl of Marlborough in 1690. The parish church of St Multose is an ancient but inelegant structure, said to have been founded as a conventual church in the 12th century by the saint to whom it is dedicated. Kinsale, with the neighbouring villages of Scilly and Cove, is much frequented by summer visitors, and is the headquarters of the South of Ireland Fishing Company, with a fishery pier and a commodious harbour with 6 to 8 fathoms of water; but the general trade is of little importance owing to the proximity of Queenstown and Cork. The Old Head of Kinsale, at the west of the harbour entrance, affords fine views of the coast, and is commonly the first British land sighted by ships bound from New York, &c., to Queenstown.

Kinsale is said to derive its name fromcean taile, the headland in the sea. At an early period the town belonged to the De Courcys, a representative of whom was created baron of Kinsale or Kingsale in 1181. It received a charter of incorporation from Edward III., having previously been a borough by prescription, and its privileges were confirmed and extended byvarious subsequent sovereigns. For several centuries previous to the Union it returned two members to the Irish parliament. It was the scene of an engagement between the French and English fleets in 1380, was forcibly entered by the English in 1488, captured by the Spaniards and retaken by the English in 1601, and entered by the English in 1641, who expelled the Irish inhabitants. Finally, it was the scene of the landing of James II. and of the French army sent to his assistance in 1689, and was taken by the English in the following year.

KINTORE,a royal and police burgh of Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 789. It is situated on the Don, 13¼ m. N.W. of Aberdeen by the Great North of Scotland railway. It is a place of some antiquity, having been made a royal burgh in the reign of William the Lion (d. 1214). Kintore forms one of the Elgin group of parliamentary burghs, the others being Banff, Cullen, Elgin, Inverurie and Peterhead. One mile to the south-west are the ruins of Hallforest Castle, of which two storeys still exist, once a hunting-seat of Robert Bruce and afterwards a residence of the Keiths, earls marischal. There are several examples of sculptured stones and circles in the parish, and 2 m. to the north-west is the site of Bruce’s camp, which is also ascribed to the period of the Romans. Near it is Thainston House, the residence of Sir Andrew Mitchell (1708-1771), the British envoy to Frederick the Great. Kintore gives the title of earl in the Scottish, and of baron in the British peerage to the head of the Keith-Falconer family.

KIOTO(Kyoto), the former capital of Japan, in the province of Yamashiro, in 35° 01′ N., 135° 46′ E. Pop. (1903), 379,404. The Kamo-gawa, upon which it stands, is a mere rivulet in ordinary times, trickling through a wide bed of pebbles; but the city is traversed by several aqueducts, and was connected with Lake Biwa in 1890 by a canal 67⁄8m. long, which carries an abundance of water for manufacturing purposes, brings the great lake and the city into navigable communication, and forms with the Kamo-gawa canal and the Kamo-gawa itself a through route to Osaka, from which Kioto is 25 m. distant by rail. Founded in the year 793, Kioto remained the capital of the empire during nearly eleven centuries. The emperor Kwammu, when he selected this remarkably picturesque spot for the residence of his court, caused the city to be laid out with mathematical accuracy, after the model of the Tang dynasty’s capital in China. Its area, 3 m. by 3½, was intersected by 18 principal thoroughfares, 9 running due north and south, and 9 due east and west, the two systems being connected at intervals by minor streets. At the middle of the northern face stood the palace, its enclosure covering three-quarters of a square mile, and from it to the centre of the south face ran an avenue 283 ft. wide and 3½ m. long. Conflagrations and subsequent reconstructions modified the regularity of this plan, but much of it still remains, and its story is perpetuated in the nomenclature of the streets. In its days of greatest prosperity Kioto contained only half a million inhabitants, thus never even approximating to the size of the Tokugawa metropolis, Yedo, or the Hojo capital Kamakura. The emperor Kwammu called it Heian-jo, or the “city of peace,” when he made it the seat of government; but the people knew it as Miyako, or Kyoto, terms both of which signify “capital,” and in modern times it is often spoken of as Saikyo, or western capital, in opposition to Tokyo, or eastern capital. Having been so long the imperial, intellectual, political and artistic metropolis of the realm, the city abounds with evidences of its unique career. Magnificent temples and shrines, grand monuments of architectural and artistic skill, beautiful gardens, gorgeous festivals, and numerousatelierswhere the traditions of Japanese art are obeyed with attractive results, offer to the foreign visitor a fund of interest. Clear water ripples everywhere through the city, and to this water Kioto owes something of its importance, for nowhere else in Japan can fabrics be bleached so white or dyed in such brilliant colours. The people, like their neighbours of Osaka, are full of manufacturing energy. Not only do they preserve, amid all the progress of the age, their old-time eminence as producers of the finest porcelain, faience, embroidery, brocades, bronze,cloisonnéenamel, fans, toys and metal-work of all kinds, but they have also adapted themselves to the foreign market, and weave and dye quantities of silk fabrics, for which a large and constantly growing demand is found in Europe and America. Nowhere else can be traced with equal clearness the part played in Japanese civilization by Buddhism, with its magnificent paraphernalia and imposing ceremonial spectacles; nowhere else, side by side with this luxurious factor, can be witnessed in more striking juxtaposition the austere purity and severe simplicity of the Shinto cult; and nowhere else can be more intelligently observed the fine faculty of the Japanese for utilizing, emphasizing and enhancing the beauties of nature. The citizens’ dwellings and the shops, on the other hand, are insignificant and even sombre in appearance, their exterior conveying no idea of the pretty chambers within or of the tastefully laid-out grounds upon which they open behind. Kioto is celebrated equally for its cherry and azalea blossoms in the spring, and for the colours of its autumn foliage.

KIOWAS,a tribe and stock of North American Indians. Their former range was around the Arkansas and Canadian rivers, in Indian Territory (Oklahoma), Colorado and New Mexico. A fierce people, they made raids upon the settlers in western Texas until 1868, when they were placed on a reservation in Indian Territory. In 1874 they broke out again, but in the following year were finally subdued. In number about 1200, and settled in Oklahoma, they are the sole representatives of the Kiowan linguistic stock.

See J. Mooney, “Calendar History of the Kiowa Indians,”17th Report of Bureau of American Ethnology(Washington, 1898).

See J. Mooney, “Calendar History of the Kiowa Indians,”17th Report of Bureau of American Ethnology(Washington, 1898).

KIPLING, RUDYARD(1865-  ), British author, was born in Bombay on the 30th of December 1865. His father, John Lockwood Kipling (1837-1911), an artist of considerable ability, was from 1875 to 1893 curator of the Lahore museum in India. His mother was Miss Alice Macdonald of Birmingham, two of whose sisters were married respectively to Sir E. Burne-Jones and Sir Edward Poynter. He was educated at the United Services College, Westward Ho, North Devon, of which a somewhat lurid account is given in his storyStalky and Co.On his return to India he became at the age of seventeen the sub-editor of the LahoreCivil and Military Gazette. In 1886, in his twenty-first year, he publishedDepartmental Ditties, a volume of light verse chiefly satirical, only in two or three poems giving promise of his authentic poetical note. In 1887 he publishedPlain Tales from the Hills, a collection mainly of the stories contributed to his own journal. During the next two years he brought out, in six slim paper-covered volumes of Wheeler’s Railway Library (Allahabad),Soldiers Three,The Story of the Gadsbys,In Black and White,Under the Deodars,The Phantom ’RickshawandWee Willie Winkee, at a rupee apiece. These were in form and substance a continuation of thePlain Tales. This series of tales, all written before the author was twenty-four, revealed a new master of fiction. A few, but those the best, he afterwards said that his father gave him. The rest were the harvest of his own powers of observation vitalized by imagination. In method they owed something to Bret Harte; in matter and spirit they were absolutely original. They were unequal, as his books continued to be throughout; the sketches of Anglo-Indian social life being generally inferior to the rest. The style was to some extent disfigured by jerkiness and mannered tricks. But Mr Kipling possessed the supreme spell of the story-teller to entrance and transport. The freshness of the invention, the variety of character, the vigour of narrative, the raciness of dialogue, the magic of atmosphere, were alike remarkable. The soldier-stories, especially the exuberant vitality of the cycle which contains the immortal Mulvaney, established the author’s fame throughout the world. The child-stories and tales of the British official were not less masterly, while the tales of native life and of adventure “beyond the pale” disclosed an even finer and deeper vein of romance. India, which had been an old story for generations of Englishmen, was revealed in these brilliant pictures as if seen for the first time in its variety, colour and passion, vivid as mirage, enchanting as theArabian Nights. The new author’s talent was quicklyrecognized in India, but it was not till the books reached England that his true rank was appreciated and proclaimed. Between 1887 and 1889 he travelled through India, China, Japan and America, finally arriving in England to find himself already famous. His travel sketches, contributed toThe Civil and Military GazetteandThe Pioneer, were afterwards collected (the author’s hand having been forced by unauthorized publication) in the two volumesFrom Sea to Sea(1899). A further set of Indian tales, equal to the best, appeared inMacmillan’s Magazineand were republished with others inLife’s Handicap(1891). InThe Light that Failed(1891, after appearing with a different ending inLippincott’s Magazine) Mr Kipling essayed his first long story (dramatized 1905), but with comparative unsuccess. In his subsequent work his delight in the display of descriptive and verbal technicalities grew on him. His polemic against “the sheltered life” and “little Englandism” became more didactic. His terseness sometimes degenerated into abruptness and obscurity. But in the meanwhile his genius became prominent in verse. Readers of thePlain Taleshad been impressed by the snatches of poetry prefixed to them for motto, certain of them being subscribed “Barrack Room Ballad.” Mr Kipling now contributed to theNational Observer, then edited by W. E. Henley, a series ofBarrack Room Ballads. These vigorous verses in soldier slang, when published in a book in 1892, together with the fine ballad of “East and West” and other poems, won for their author a second fame, wider than he had attained as a story-teller. In this volume the Ballads of the “Bolivar” and of the “Clampherdown,” introducing Mr Kipling’s poetry of the ocean and the engine-room, and “The Flag of England,” finding a voice for the Imperial sentiment, which—largely under the influence of Mr Kipling’s own writings—had been rapidly gaining force in England, gave the key-note of much of his later verse. In 1898 Mr Kipling paid the first of several visits to South Africa and became imbued with a type of imperialism that reacted on his literature, not altogether to its advantage. Before finally settling in England Mr Kipling lived some years in America and married in 1892 Miss Caroline Starr Balestier, sister of the Wolcott Balestier to whom he dedicatedBarrack Room Ballads, and with whom in collaboration he wrote theNaulahka(1891), one of his less successful books. The next collection of stories,Many Inventions(1893), contained the splendid Mulvaney extravaganza, “My Lord the Elephant”; a vividly realized tale of metempsychosis, “The Finest Story in the World”; and in that fascinating tale “In the Rukh,” the prelude to the next new exhibition of the author’s genius. This came in 1894 withThe Jungle Book, followed in 1895 byThe Second Jungle Book. With these inspired beast-stories Kipling conquered a new world and a new audience, and produced what many critics regard as his most flawless work. His chief subsequent publications wereThe Seven Seas(poems), 1896;Captains Courageous(a yarn of deep-sea fishery), 1897;The Day’s Work(collected stories), 1898;A Fleet in Being(an account of a cruise in a man-of-war), 1898;Stalky and Co.(mentioned above), 1899;From Sea to Sea(mentioned above), 1899;Kim, 1901;Just So Stories(for children), 1902;The Five Nations(poems, concluding with what proved Mr Kipling’s most universally known and popular poem, “Recessional,” originally published inThe Timeson the 17th of July 1897 on the occasion of Queen Victoria’s second jubilee), 1903;Traffics and Discoveries(collected stories), 1904;Puck of Pook’s Hill(stories), 1906;Actions and Reactions(stories), 1909. Of theseKimwas notable as far the most successful of Mr Kipling’s longer narratives, though it is itself rather in the nature of a string of episodes. But everything he wrote, even to a farcical extravaganza inspired by his enthusiasm for the motor-car, breathed the meteoric energy that was the nature of the man. A vigorous and unconventional poet, a pioneer in the modern phase of literary Imperialism, and one of the rare masters in English prose of the art of the short story, Mr Kipling had already by the opening of the 20th century won the most conspicuous place among the creative literary forces of his day. His position in English literature was recognized in 1907 by the award to him of the Nobel prize.

See Rudyard Kipling’s chapter inMy First Book(Chatto, 1894); “A Bibliography of Rudyard Kipling,” by John Lane, inRudyard Kipling: a Criticism, by Richard de Gallienne; “Mr Kipling’s Short Stories” inQuestions at Issue, by Edmund Gosse (1893); “Mr Kipling’s Stories” inEssays in Little, by Andrew Lang; “Mr Kipling’s Stories,” by J. M. Barrie in theContemporary Review(March 1891); articles in theQuarterly Review(July 1892) andEdinburgh Review(Jan. 1898); and section on Kipling inPoets of the Younger Generation, by William Archer (1902). See also for bibliography to 1903English Illustrated Magazine, new series, vol. xxx. pp. 298 and 429-432.

See Rudyard Kipling’s chapter inMy First Book(Chatto, 1894); “A Bibliography of Rudyard Kipling,” by John Lane, inRudyard Kipling: a Criticism, by Richard de Gallienne; “Mr Kipling’s Short Stories” inQuestions at Issue, by Edmund Gosse (1893); “Mr Kipling’s Stories” inEssays in Little, by Andrew Lang; “Mr Kipling’s Stories,” by J. M. Barrie in theContemporary Review(March 1891); articles in theQuarterly Review(July 1892) andEdinburgh Review(Jan. 1898); and section on Kipling inPoets of the Younger Generation, by William Archer (1902). See also for bibliography to 1903English Illustrated Magazine, new series, vol. xxx. pp. 298 and 429-432.

(W. P. J.)

KIPPER,properly the name by which the male salmon is known at some period of the breeding season. At the approach of this season the male fish develops a sharp cartilaginous beak, known as the “kip,” from which the name “kipper” is said to be derived. The earliest uses of the word (in Old Englishcyperaand Middle Englishkypre) seem to include salmon of both sexes, and there is no certainty as to the etymology. Skeat derives it from the Old Englishkippian, “to spawn.” The term has been applied by various writers to salmon both during and after milting; early quotations leave the precise meaning of the word obscure, but generally refer to the unwholesomeness of the fish as food during the whole breeding season. It has been usually accepted, without much direct evidence, that from the practice of rendering the breeding (i.e.“kipper”) salmon fit for food by splitting, salting and smoke-drying them, the term “kipper” is also used of other fish, particularly herrings cured in the same way. The “bloater” as distinct from the “kipper” is a herring cured whole without being split open.

KIPPIS, ANDREW(1725-1795), English nonconformist divine and biographer, son of Robert Kippis, a silk-hosier, was born at Nottingham on the 28th of March 1725. From school at Sleaford in Lincolnshire he passed at the age of sixteen to the nonconformist academy at Northampton, of which Dr Doddridge was then president. In 1746 Kippis became minister of a church at Boston; in 1750 he removed to Dorking in Surrey; and in 1753 he became pastor of a Presbyterian congregation at Westminster, where he remained till his death on the 8th of October 1795. Kippis took a prominent part in the affairs of his church. From 1763 till 1784 he was classical and philological tutor in Coward’s training college at Hoxton; and subsequently for some years at another institution of the same kind at Hackney. In 1778 he was elected a fellow of the Antiquarian Society, and a fellow of the Royal Society in 1779.

Kippis was a very voluminous writer. He contributed largely toThe Gentleman’s Magazine,The Monthly ReviewandThe Library; and he had a good deal to do with the establishment and conduct ofThe New Annual Register. He published also a number of sermons and occasional pamphlets; and he prefixed a life of the author to a collected edition of Dr Nathaniel Lardner’sWorks(1788). He wrote a life of Dr Doddridge, which is prefixed to Doddridge’sExposition of the New Testament(1792). His chief work is his edition of theBiographia Britannica, of which, however, he only lived to publish 5 vols. (folio, 1778-1793). In this work he had the assistance of Dr Towers. See notice by A. Rees, D.D., inThe New Annual Registerfor 1795.

Kippis was a very voluminous writer. He contributed largely toThe Gentleman’s Magazine,The Monthly ReviewandThe Library; and he had a good deal to do with the establishment and conduct ofThe New Annual Register. He published also a number of sermons and occasional pamphlets; and he prefixed a life of the author to a collected edition of Dr Nathaniel Lardner’sWorks(1788). He wrote a life of Dr Doddridge, which is prefixed to Doddridge’sExposition of the New Testament(1792). His chief work is his edition of theBiographia Britannica, of which, however, he only lived to publish 5 vols. (folio, 1778-1793). In this work he had the assistance of Dr Towers. See notice by A. Rees, D.D., inThe New Annual Registerfor 1795.

KIRBY, WILLIAM(1759-1850), English entomologist, was born at Witnesham in Suffolk on the 19th of September 1759. From the village school of Witnesham he passed to Ipswich grammar school, and thence to Caius College, Cambridge, where he graduated in 1781. Taking holy orders in 1782, he spent his entire life in the peaceful seclusion of an English country parsonage at Barham in Suffolk. His favourite study was natural history; and eventually entomology engrossed all his leisure. His first work of importance was hisMonographia Apum Angliae(2 vols. 8vo, 1802), which as the first scientific treatise on its subject brought him into notice with the leading entomologists of his own and foreign countries. The practical result of a friendship formed in 1805 with William Spence, of Hull, was the jointly writtenIntroduction to Entomology(4 vols., 1815-1826; 7th ed., 1856), one of the most popular books of science that have ever appeared. In 1830 he was chosen to write one of theBridgewater Treatises, his subject beingThe History, Habits, and Instincts of Animals(2 vols., 1835). This undeniably fell short of his earlier works in point of scientific value. He died on the 4th of July 1850.

Besides the books already mentioned he was the author of many papers in theTransactions of the Linnean Society, theZoological Journaland other periodicals;Strictures on Sir James Smith’s Hypothesis respecting the Lilies of the Field of our Saviour and the Acanthus of Virgil(1819);Seven Sermons on our Lord’s Temptations(1829); and he wrote the sections on insects in theAccount of the Animals seen by the late Northern Expedition while within the Arctic Circle(1821), and inFauna Boreali-Americana(1837). HisLifeby the Rev. John Freeman, published in 1852, contains a list of his works.

Besides the books already mentioned he was the author of many papers in theTransactions of the Linnean Society, theZoological Journaland other periodicals;Strictures on Sir James Smith’s Hypothesis respecting the Lilies of the Field of our Saviour and the Acanthus of Virgil(1819);Seven Sermons on our Lord’s Temptations(1829); and he wrote the sections on insects in theAccount of the Animals seen by the late Northern Expedition while within the Arctic Circle(1821), and inFauna Boreali-Americana(1837). HisLifeby the Rev. John Freeman, published in 1852, contains a list of his works.

KIRCHER, ATHANASIUS(1601-1680), German scholar and mathematician, was born on the 2nd of May 1601, at Geisa near Fulda. He was educated at the Jesuit college of Fulda, and entered upon his noviciate in that order at Mainz in 1618. He became professor of philosophy, mathematics, and Oriental languages at Würzburg, whence he was driven (1631) by the troubles of the Thirty Years’ War to Avignon. Through the influence of Cardinal Barberini he next (1635) settled in Rome, where for eight years he taught mathematics in the Collegio Romano, but ultimately resigned this appointment to study hieroglyphics and other archaeological subjects. He died on the 28th of November 1680.

Kircher was a man of wide and varied learning, but singularly devoid of judgment and critical discernment. His voluminous writings in philology, natural history, physics and mathematics often accordingly have a good deal of the historical interest which attaches to pioneering work, however imperfectly performed; otherwise they now take rank as curiosities of literature merely. They includeArs Magnesia(1631);Magnes, sive de arte magnetica opus tripartitum(1641); andMagneticum naturae regnum(1667);Prodromus Coptus(1636);Lingua Aegyptiaca restituta(1643);Obeliscus Pamphilius(1650); andOedipus Aegyptiacus, hoc est universalis doctrinae hieroglyphicae instauratio(1652-1655)—works which may claim the merit of having first called attention to Egyptian hieroglyphics;Ars magna lucis et umbrae in mundo(1645-1646);Musurgia universalis, sive ars magna consoni et dissoni(1650);Polygraphia, seu artificium linguarum quo cum omnibus mundi populis poterit quis respondere(1663);Mundus subterraneus, quo subterrestris mundi opificium, universae denique naturae divitiae, abditorum effectuum causae demonstrantur(1665-1678);China illustrata(1667);Ars magna sciendi(1669); andLatium(1669), a work which may still be consulted with advantage. TheSpecula Melitensis Encyclica(1638) gives an account of a kind of calculating machine of his invention. The valuable collection of antiquities which he bequeathed to the Collegio Romano has been described by Buonanni (Musaeum Kircherianum, 1709; republished by Battara in 1773).

Kircher was a man of wide and varied learning, but singularly devoid of judgment and critical discernment. His voluminous writings in philology, natural history, physics and mathematics often accordingly have a good deal of the historical interest which attaches to pioneering work, however imperfectly performed; otherwise they now take rank as curiosities of literature merely. They includeArs Magnesia(1631);Magnes, sive de arte magnetica opus tripartitum(1641); andMagneticum naturae regnum(1667);Prodromus Coptus(1636);Lingua Aegyptiaca restituta(1643);Obeliscus Pamphilius(1650); andOedipus Aegyptiacus, hoc est universalis doctrinae hieroglyphicae instauratio(1652-1655)—works which may claim the merit of having first called attention to Egyptian hieroglyphics;Ars magna lucis et umbrae in mundo(1645-1646);Musurgia universalis, sive ars magna consoni et dissoni(1650);Polygraphia, seu artificium linguarum quo cum omnibus mundi populis poterit quis respondere(1663);Mundus subterraneus, quo subterrestris mundi opificium, universae denique naturae divitiae, abditorum effectuum causae demonstrantur(1665-1678);China illustrata(1667);Ars magna sciendi(1669); andLatium(1669), a work which may still be consulted with advantage. TheSpecula Melitensis Encyclica(1638) gives an account of a kind of calculating machine of his invention. The valuable collection of antiquities which he bequeathed to the Collegio Romano has been described by Buonanni (Musaeum Kircherianum, 1709; republished by Battara in 1773).

KIRCHHEIM-UNTER-TECK,a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Württemberg, is prettily situated on the Lauter, at the north-west foot of the Rauhe Alb, 15 m. S.E. of Stuttgart by rail. Pop. (1905), 8830. The town has a royal castle built in 1538, two schools and several benevolent institutions. The manufactures include cotton goods, damask, pianofortes, machinery, furniture, chemicals and cement. The town also has wool-spinning establishments and breweries, and a corn exchange. It is the most important wool market in South Germany, and has also a trade in fruit, timber and pigs. In the vicinity are the ruins of the castle of Teck, the hereditary stronghold of the dukes of that name. Kirchheim has belonged to Württemberg since 1381.

KIRCHHOFF, GUSTAV ROBERT(1824-1887), German physicist, was born at Königsberg (Prussia) on the 12th of March 1824, and was educated at the university of his native town, where he graduated Ph.D. in 1847. After acting asprivat-docentat Berlin for some time, he became extraordinary professor of physics at Breslau in 1850. Four years later he was appointed professor of physics at Heidelberg, and in 1875 he was transferred to Berlin, where he died on the 17th of October 1887. Kirchhoff’s contributions to mathematical physics were numerous and important, his strength lying in his powers of stating a new physical problem in terms of mathematics, not merely in working out the solution after it had been so formulated. A number of his papers were concerned with electrical questions. One of the earliest was devoted to electrical conduction in a thin plate, and especially in a circular one, and it also contained a theorem which enables the distribution of currents in a network of conductors to be ascertained. Another discussed conduction in curved sheets; a third the distribution of electricity in two influencing spheres; a fourth the determination of the constant on which depends the intensity of induced currents; while others were devoted to Ohm’s law, the motion of electricity in submarine cables, induced magnetism, &c. In other papers, again, various miscellaneous topics were treated—the thermal conductivity of iron, crystalline reflection and refraction, certain propositions in the thermodynamics of solution and vaporization, &c. An important part of his work was contained in hisVorlesungen über mathematische Physik(1876), in which the principles of dynamics, as well as various special problems, were treated in a somewhat novel and original manner. But his name is best known for the researches, experimental and mathematical, in radiation which led him, in company with R. W. von Bunsen, to the development of spectrum analysis as a complete system in 1859-1860. He can scarcely be called its inventor, for not only had many investigators already used the prism as an instrument of chemical inquiry, but considerable progress had been made towards the explanation of the principles upon which spectrum analysis rests. But to him belongs the merit of having, most probably without knowing what had already been done, enunciated a complete account of its theory, and of thus having firmly established it as a means by which the chemical constituents of celestial bodies can be discovered through the comparison of their spectra with those of the various elements that exist on this earth.


Back to IndexNext