RECEIPTS.Sales of postage stamps, envelopes, newspaper wrappers, postal cards, etc.$12,693 34Box rent received2,166 25—————Total$14,859 59EXPENSES.Postmaster's salary$2,400 00Expenses for rent, fuel, lights, clerk hire, etc.3,300 00$5,700 00—————Net income$9,159 59MONEY ORDER BUSINESS.Received for domestic orders$30,305 62Received for fees on same131 50Received for international orders1,518 81Received for fees on same24 95—————$31,980 88Money orders paid$24,140 88Certificates of deposit7,840 00$31,980 88REGISTRY BUSINESS.Domestic and foreign letters and packages registered1,621Registered matter in transit2,327——Total pieces handled3,948Number of pouches dispatched daily24Number of pouches dispatched semi-weekly2Number of pouches received daily24Number of pouches received semi-weekly2
The following hotels were built in Stillwater prior to 1850:
Northrup House, built by Anson Northrup, northwest corner Main street and Nelson alley, 1844.Stillwater House, built by Anson Northrup, lot 2, Main street, 1845.Minnesota House, built by Elam Greeley, southwest corner Main and Myrtle, 1846.Lake House, built by John W. Brewster, east side of Main street between Nelson and Chestnut, 1849.
Northrup House, built by Anson Northrup, northwest corner Main street and Nelson alley, 1844.
Stillwater House, built by Anson Northrup, lot 2, Main street, 1845.
Minnesota House, built by Elam Greeley, southwest corner Main and Myrtle, 1846.
Lake House, built by John W. Brewster, east side of Main street between Nelson and Chestnut, 1849.
Of the hotels built subsequently to 1850, the most popular and well known is the Sawyer House, on the northwest corner of Chestnut and Third streets. It was built in 1857, by Henry Sawyer, opened by G. E. B. Whitcher, and kept in succession by J. and A. Lowell, Isaac Staples, A. Lowell and A. K. Doe. The other hotels built during this period were the Liberty House, by John N. Ahl, 1856; Farmers Home, 1867; Williams House, 1870; Wexio Hotel, 1870; the Keystone House, 1872; the Mansion House, 1872; Central House, 1879; Elliott's Hotel, 1883.
To Christopher Carli is due the honor of conducting the first banking operations in Stillwater. In 1855 he issued and redeemed fractional currency. Darling, Caswell & Scheffer, Jan. 27, 1857, opened a private banking house, and from 1859 to 1865 operated it as a state bank, when it was changed into the
of Stillwater. The capital stock was $50,000. The first officers were: Charles Scheffer, president; O. R. Ellis, cashier. The officers in 1886 were: Louis Hospes, president; C. N. Nelson, vice president; F. M. Prince, cashier. The capital stock is $250,000. The gross amount of debits and credits during the year closing June 3, 1886, were $20,000,000. We append the annual report of 1886:
RESOURCES.Loans and discounts$727,286 70Overdrafts1,745 82United States bonds to secure circulation50,000 00Due from approved reserve agents$30,999 72Due from other national banks4,266 85Due from state banks and bankers3,491 4838,758 05Real estate, furniture and fixtures12,000 00Current expenses and taxes paid11,108 56Premiums paid9,000 00Checks and other cash items1,662 91Bills of other banks1,295 00Fractional paper currency, nickels and pennies77 07Specie33,392 00Legal tender notes17,440 0053,866 98Redemption fund with United States treasurer (five per cent of circulation)2,250 00—————Total$906,016 11LIABILITIES.Capital stock paid in$250,000 00Surplus fund60,000 00Undivided profits25,617 60National bank notes outstanding45,000 00Dividends unpaid20 00Individual deposits subject to check$236,095 72Demand certificates of deposit6,305 93Time certificates of deposit224,223 41Cashier's checks outstanding679 95Due to other national banks3,507 67Due to state banks and bankers5,266 78476,079 46Notes and bills rediscounted49,299 05—————Total$906,016 11
Organized Jan. 10, 1871. Capital stock, $150,000. First officers: Isaac Staples, president; H. W. Cannon, cashier. In 1886 the bank had in capital stock $250,000 and a surplus of $50,000. The present officers are: President, Isaac Staples; vice president, R. F. Hersey; board of directors, Isaac Staples, R. F. Hersey, E. S. Edgerton, David Tozer, E. W. Durant, David Bronson, J. McKusick, Matt Clark, Wm. G. Bronson, E. L. Hersey, R. S. Davis.
Organized Jan. 10, 1873, under an act of the legislature of 1867, with the following board of trustees: Isaac Staples, president; David Bronson, Dwight M. Sabin, Lewis E. Torinus, Wm. Willim, I. E. Staples, and H. W. Cannon.
Was incorporated March 8, 1867. The first officers were: President, David Cover; vice president, Louis Hospes; secretary, E. W. Durant; treasurer, David Bronson, Jr.; surveyor, Ivory E. McKusick.
The board was organized in January, 1871. The first officers were: President, David Bronson; vice president, C. J. Butler; secretary, D. W. Armstrong; treasurer, C. N. Nelson; board of directors, John McKusick, Isaac Staples, J. E. Schlenk, J. O'Shaughnessy, M. Moffatt, E. W. Durant, J. N. Castle, B. G. Merry, G. M. Seymour, L. E. Torinus.
The site of the city abounds in beautiful springs. Charles Hathaway, while excavating on his lot near Third street, struck a large vein capable of supplying 1,000 barrels per day. He constructed a reservoir with an elevation of about fifty feet above the street, and from this source supplies the city with water for sprinkling streets and other purposes.
The Stillwater Water Company was organized April 15, 1880, with a capital stock of $100,000, and commenced at once the work of improvement. This company has never yet declared a dividend, having applied all its surplus earnings upon improvements. They have now 8 1/2 miles of water mains, 88 hydrants and about 260 taps. The water supply is obtained from Lake McKusick, which is supplied from Brown's creek. The lake is 155 feet above the business portion of the city and is about a mile distant from the same. The water is pumped into a reservoir on the highest spot of ground in the city, which is 110 feet above the lake. The system is similar to that of St. Paul, the city being supplied in part by gravitation, and in part by direct pressure. The elevation of the reservoir results in a saving to the city in the matter of fire engines, etc. Any fire in the business part of the city can be extinguished with the use of hose alone. One fire engine answers the purposes of the city. The first board of officers were: President, Edward Durant; vice president, R. F. Hersey; secretary and treasurer, H. W. Cannon.
Futile efforts had been made as early as 1859 for the organization of a fire department. In 1872 a fire company of sixty was organized and an engine worth $7,500 was purchased. The first officers of the company were: Chief engineer, David Bronson; first assistant, B. G. Merry; second assistant, H. P. West; engineer,C. C. Johnson; secretary; N. T. Lee; treasurer, Fayette Marsh.
Was organized in 1872, by the election of the following officers: Foreman, Charles McMillan; assistant, D. B. Loomis; secretary and treasurer, A. K. Doe. The company has received awards of honor for meritorious performance of duty.
This company was organized May 12, 1874, with a capital stock of $25,000 and the exclusive right to the sale and manufacture of gas for a period of forty years. Their buildings are located on Third street. The first officers were: President, Isaac Staples; manager, H. W. Cannon; board of directors, John McKusick, D. M. Sabin, Isaac Staples, David Bronson, L. E. Torinus, H. W. Cannon, C. H. Nash.
In 1863 a telegraph office was located in Stillwater by a A. C. Lull, and a line extended to St. Paul. The office is on Main street between Chestnut and Myrtle.
Established a line from Stillwater to St. Paul in January, 1880. It has a branch to Marine.
Built an elevator near the Stillwater & White Bear depot in 1870-71. It has a capacity of 300,000 bushels. The officers are: President, Louis Huspes; secretary and treasurer, H. W. Cannon.
The first office was established by the Northwestern Express Company, in 1855; Short, Proctor & Co. were agents. This company was succeeded in 1858 by the American, and in 1869 the United States also established an office here.
A charter was obtained from the legislature in 1875 to build a bridge across Lake St. Croix, from Stillwater to Houlton. Thebridge was completed the ensuing year at a cost of $24,000. It is 1,500 feet long, and is furnished with a pontoon draw 300 feet in length, operated by an engine.
Stillwater is the metropolis of the lumbering interests of the St. Croix valley, and is indebted to them chiefly for its welfare. These are considered separately in other parts of this history. The local interests are centred chiefly in mills and manufactories, of themselves an important element in the prosperity of the city. The principal proprietors of the saw mills since the first settlement of Stillwater have been McKusick & Co., Sawyer & Heaton, McHale. & Co., Schulenberg & Co., Hersey, Staples & Co., Hersey, Bean & Brown, Isaac Staples, Seymour, Sabin & Co., Herschey Lumbering Company and Turnbull Lumbering Company.
In 1872 J. H. Townshend and W. F. Cahill erected a flouring mill on Third street. It was run by water brought from McKusick creek, the motive power being an overshot wheel forty-five feet in diameter. In 1880 D. M. Sabin became interested in the firm. The capacity of the mill was increased from fifty to three hundred barrels per day. A Corliss engine and other improvements were added, and the mill was run on the Hungarian roller system. The firm name was changed to Townshend & Co.
The St. Croix flouring mill was built in 1877, on Upper Main street, near the lake, by Isaac Staples. Its dimensions were 40 × 50 feet. Its capacity was two hundred and fifty barrels per day. It was removed to make way for the buildings of the Car Company.
The Stillwater Flour Mill Company was organized under state laws in 1878, and mills were erected on the lower levee, 50 × 70 feet, ground plan, and five stories high. These mills were run on the Hungarian roller system. The cost was $100,000. Their capacity is four hundred barrels per day. The motive power is a Corliss engine of one hundred and seventy-five horse power. The principal owners are R. F. Hersey, Smith Ellison, D. M. Sabin and L. Hospes.
Swain's machine shop, D. M. Swain, proprietor, was established in 1873, on Third street between Myrtle and Chestnut. Geo.Swain established a foundry on Third street in 1874. His manufactures consist chiefly of engines, mill machinery and farm utensils. The St. Croix Iron Works, Door, Sash and Blind Factory, established originally as a machine shop in 1865, on the river bank, near the Chicago & Omaha round house, has been owned by various parties. A foundry was added in 1874, and in 1878 Isaac Staples added a sash and blind factory.
Richard Daw established the Novelty Carriage Works in 1875, one door east of the Sawyer House.
D. J. Sullivan established the Stillwater Carriage Works in 1878, one door east of the Sawyer House, but afterward removed to a better location on Second street.
Wm. Miller erected the Pioneer Carriage Manufactory in 1866, on Main street.
Albert Saeker in 1872 established a wagon shop on Second street between Myrtle and Chestnut.
Frederick Steinacker commenced the manufacture of brick in 1859, in a yard located in Ramsey & Carter's addition, but afterward removed to the lower end of Sunfish lake.
It is claimed that Herman Tepass' brewery is the outgrowth of the first in the county, if not in the State, a still having been located at the corner of Third and Chestnut streets in 1851. The present site is on Lower Main street. Joseph Wolff's brewery is located on the corner of Main and Nelson streets, and was established in 1868.
Heitman & Becker established a bakery in 1879. Messrs. Muller Brothers established a boat factory in 1873. A vinegar factory was commenced by Ciopac & Tuor in 1875, and is continued by the latter. Of the several livery stables in Stillwater the first was established by C. A. Bromley in 1853.
The Stillwater Building Association, organized under the laws of the State, March 23, 1887, has done much for the prosperity of the city, affording as it does to persons of limited capital an opportunity of building suitable homes and business houses. Private enterprise has done much in the erection of substantial blocks for business purposes. Henry Sawyer, in 1856, built the first stone block in the city. It is located on Main street. Other fine blocks were built by McComb, Eldridge,Bernheimer, Elam Greely, Wm. Holcombe, Schlenk, L. E. Torinus, Hersey & Staples, McKusick, and others. Many of these blocks are fireproof and built of stone, and are fine specimens of architecture, convenient and commodious.
Stillwater has sixteen church organizations and fifteen buildings, the latter having a total valuation of $315,000.
The Ascension church (Episcopal) originated in the labors of Rev. E. A. Greenleaf, in 1846. The corner stone of the first building was laid in 1851. Rev. Joseph A. Russell was the first rector. In 1873 the corner stone of the present edifice was laid by Bishop Welles of Wisconsin. This building cost $10,000, and was burned in 1886 and rebuilt in 1887.
The First Presbyterian church grew out of the missionary labors of Rev. W. T. Boutwell, in 1847 and 1848. The church was organized in 1849; Rev. J. S. Whitney, pastor. The first building was erected in 1851, and the second, the armory, in 1857. The present edifice, located on the corner of Myrtle and Third, was built in 1884, at a cost of $22,000, and the total value of building and ground is $30,000.
Dates its beginning from a society formed by Rev. James Harrington in 1850. It was organized regularly in 1853 by Rev. T. M. Fullerton. The first house of worship was a small frame on Myrtle street, between Second and Third streets. It was enlarged and improved in 1862. The present edifice on Third street near Myrtle, with the parsonage adjoining, cost about $4,200. The church has a membership of two hundred.
Was organized in 1853, the first services being held by Rev. Father Peyragrosse, a missionary. The first edifice was built on Fourth and Mulberry streets, and Rev. Father Fisher was the first clergyman in charge. The building was enlarged and improved in 1857. The present commodious edifice was commenced in 1872 and dedicated in 1875. The church property, including the school parish buildings and cemetery of twelve acres in South Stillwater, is worth $130,000. There are now two resident clergymen, Revs. Murphy and Gaughan.
Rev. P. Alphonse Krusle, pastor, was organized in 1865, and owns a church building on Fifth street, near Pine, valued at $25,000. The total value of church and parish buildings, and of the six lots on which they are located, amounts to $55,000.
Society was incorporated June 6, 1868, and the first preaching was by Rev. E. A. Hodsdon, of St. Anthony. The edifice is on Third street South; cost about $15,000.
The society was organized in 1871; the church building was erected in 1882-83, at a cost of $15,000. The pastor is Rev. A. F. Tornell.
Church was organized in 1871. The church building and parsonage are on Third street, near Olive, and are valued at $4,500. The pastor is Rev. J. J. Weiss.
Society uses the German Lutheran church buildings, corner of Olive and Fourth streets.
Congregation worships in a frame building, corner of Linden and Everett streets.
Was formed by the withdrawal of a part of the members of the First German Lutheran church for separate worship. The Swedish church and school, on the corner of Olive and Fourth streets, were purchased for $2,150. To this a parsonage was added at a cost of $2,150. Rev. L. F. Frey is the pastor.
Has a cosy frame edifice on Laurel, between Williams and Owen, but is not holding services at present. The edifice cost $7,000 and the membership is one hundred and fifty.
The Swedish Congregational church occupies a frame building on Fourth street, between Hickory and Elm streets, which cost $2,000 and has sixty members.
Was organized by the present pastor, Rev. Father E. Roe, in 1882, with seventeen members, which has since been increased to eighty families. A frame edifice was erected in 1884, with a seating capacity of four hundred, costing about $8,000, corner of Olive and Greely streets. The church property consists of the edifice and the priest's house, and cost $11,000.
Was organized in 1880 by Rev. C. S. Carlander. The church building is located on Myrtle and Fourth streets, and cost $2,000.
Has a membership of seventy-five and a frame building erected in 1872 at a cost of $1,200.
The court house and other public buildings of the city are creditable specimens of architecture, rooms convenient and well adapted to the purposes of their construction. The present court house building is the third erected. Its cost, including that of the jail buildings, the wall around them and other improvements, has been something over $75,000. The city hall, at the corner of Myrtle and Third streets, is a substantial and convenient building. It contains also room for the city officers. The public school buildings have kept pace with the growth of the city. In the summer of 1887 the city erected a high school building at a cost of $60,000. The engine house is a good building, centrally located. An elegant union depot was built in 1887, of brown stone from the Apostle islands, at a cost of $30,000.
The Opera House.—The opera house occupies the site of the old Lake House, on Main street between Nelson and Chestnut streets. It was commenced in 1880 and finished in 1881, underthe supervision of L. W. Eldred, architect. Its size is 90×120 feet, ground plan, and four stories in height, or seventy-one feet from lower floor to cornice. The style of architecture is a blending of the Queen Anne, Victoria and Gothic. The entrance to the upper part of the building is by a stairway twelve feet wide, in a lofty, ornamental turret. The auditorium is 64×120 feet, and beautifully and elaborately finished and furnished, and is capable of seating over 1,200 persons. It is well lighted, being supplied with 130 gas jets, warmed by steam, and well ventilated. The stage is 39×64 feet, complete in all its appointments, and supplied with all the necessary stage scenery, wings, border bridge, balcony, interior and other decorations. The ceiling of the auditorium is superbly frescoed and the cornice is adorned with medallions of Shakespeare, Haydn, Schiller, Goethe, Dickens, Handel, Scott, Longfellow, Mozart, Tennyson, and Beethoven. The parts of the building not occupied for stage purposes are appropriated to halls, offices and stores.
I. O. O. F.—Lodge No. 1, organized June, 1849; Stillwater Lodge, No. 51, organized January, 1876.
Masonic.—St. John's Lodge No. 1, organized 1849; Washington, Royal Arch Chapter, No. 17, organized March, 1868; Bayard Commandery, K. T., No. 11, organized March, 1878.
Knights of Pythias.—Stillwater Lodge, No. 7, organized November, 1872.
A. O. U. W.—St. Croix Lodge, No. 11, organized July, 1876.
Sons of Herman.—Stillwater Lodge, No. 3, organized January, 1876; Concordia Lodge, No. 19, organized January, 1881.
Temperance Societies.—I. O. G. T. Lodge of Stillwater, organized in 1859; L'Etoile du Nord Lodge, No. 57, organized May, 1866; Temple of Honor, No. 10, organized September, 1876; Father Matthew Temperance Society, organized November, 1872.
Miscellaneous.—St. Ann's Society, organized November, 1866; St. Vincent de Paul Conference, organized October, 1870; St. Joseph Benevolent Society, organized November, 1879; Y. M. C. A., organized in 1878; Washington County Bible Society, organized in 1851; Northwestern Benefit Society, No. 1, organized in 1879; Subordinate Union Penn Equitable Association, No.165, organized in 1880; Stillwater City Hospital, organized March, 1880; Stillwater Mannerchoir, organized in 1875; the Stillwater Turnverein, organized in 1859; G. A. R., Stillwater Post, No. 13, organized March, 1868.
The first burial ground was selected in 1846. Ten years later, by a survey of the city, these grounds were included in what is now known as block 3. These grounds were used until the organization of the Fairview Cemetery Association in 1867, when the bodies were removed to the new cemetery in the burial ground in South Stillwater. Fairview cemetery is beautifully located on undulating or hilly ground and is adorned with shrubbery and made attractive by the hand of art. Its location is within the city limits, near the corner of Orleans and Fourth streets.
An attempt was made at organization in 1856, but it proved premature. The present society was organized in February, 1871, at Cottage Grove, and incorporated the same year. The first board of officers consisted of J. W. Furber, president; J. S. Norris, vice president; T. Elwell, secretary, and James Middleton, treasurer. In 1873 the fair grounds were established near Stillwater, under the joint control of the Agricultural Society and the Driving Park Association. In 1875 the fair grounds were established at Lake Elmo. But one fair had been held there when a cyclone struck the grounds and swept away all the improvements. The society again effected an arrangement by which their fairs were held on the grounds near Stillwater.
At the organization of Minnesota Territory Congress appropriated $5,000 for a territorial prison. The legislature expended the money thus appropriated in building a prison at Stillwater. The site was located by a commission appointed by the legislature in 1849, consisting of John McKusick, E. A. C. Hatch and Lewis Robert. The commission was also authorized to locate the Territorial University and select a site in St. Paul for the capitol. Their task was not completed until the ensuingyear. Their selection of a location for the university and of a site for the capitol were satisfactory, but it was generally conceded that the site for the prison was badly chosen. The ground, nine acres, was mostly quagmire, and was, moreover, crowded in a ravine between high bluffs. However, it was convenient to the lake and steamboat landing, and was well watered with pure spring water.
In 1851 Jesse Taylor, F. R. Delano, Martin Mower, J. E. McKusick, and Jacob Fisher entered into contract with the commissioners, under the firm name of Jesse Taylor & Co., to build one stone wing of the prison building, to be inclosed with a stone wall. The dimensions of the wing were 30 × 40 feet and three stories high. In 1853 an addition was built, and Francis R. Delano was appointed warden. Until 1858 the expenditure of the public money used in building and other expenses was under the control of the warden. Under state rule the warden was relieved of this burden of responsibility. The legislature had provided that prisoners might be received in the penitentiary not yet convicted of crime, on condition that their board should be defrayed by the counties from which they were sent. When this expense was not promptly met by the counties the prisoners thus held were set at liberty. The Washington county grand jury investigated the matter and memorialized the ensuing legislature, which effected a change in the laws regarding such commitments. Wings were added to the prison, walls were built, shops and other accessories added from year to year, and appropriations were made from time to time. In 1870 an appropriation of $74,000 was made for extending the building. Outside companies were permitted to build shops and manufactories within the prison limits that they might avail themselves of convict labor.
The following are the wardens who have served since the prison was built: Territorial, F. R. Delano; state government: Francis O. J. Smith, appointed March 4, 1858; Henry N. Setzer, Aug. 4, 1858; John S. Proctor, Jan. 1, 1860; Joshua L. Taylor, Feb. 16, 1868; A. C. Webber, March 16, 1870; Henry A. Jackman, Oct. 10, 1870; John A. Reid, Aug. 3, 1874; H. G. Stordock, 1887.
The following table shows the number of convicts each year up to the present time:
185301854218558185611857018582183951860161861121862719638186471865111866291867361868311869471870391871601872591873641875931876901877145187821818792541880254188124718822791883301188435618853951886, Mar. 31416
The prison on the whole has been well and humanely managed. There have been occasional outbreaks, easily suppressed, or cases of individual insubordination, two or three with fatal results to the insubordinates.
The prison buildings have been several times visited by damaging and disastrous fires. The most serious were in 1884. The first occurred January 8th, by which the large workshop and machinery owned by the State and the Northwestern Car Company were destroyed. The second occurred January 26th, and destroyed the main prison buildings, including the cells, from which the prisoners were rescued with the greatest difficulty. One perished of suffocation. On this occasion guards, prison officials and some of the convicts displayed heroism worthy of the highest commendation. The convicts on the whole behaved well. Mr. Reid, the warden of the prison, behaved with great coolness and decision, and so averted what might have been a fearful disaster.
Stillwater has suffered occasionally from fires. The first house burned was the McKusick boarding house, in 1846. The Northrup hotel was burned in 1847. In 1866 a fire occurred on the west side of Main street, between Myrtle and Chestnut, in which twelve buildings were burned, principally frame structures. In 1872 the Lake House and four adjacent buildings were burned. The Schulenburg mill was burned in 1878. Two great firesoccurred in the penitentiary in 1884. The Episcopal church building and the mills of Hersey & Bean were burned in 1887. Numerous smaller fires occurred at intervals, but owing to the efficiency of the fire companies they were easily suppressed.
Up to 1886 the bonded indebtedness of the city has aggregated the sum of $345,000. The bonds were issued at various times for railway and levee improvements, city bridge, city buildings, water works and current funds. The interest on these bonds has always been promptly met, and the expenditures for improvements have been more than repaid to the taxpayers by the increased valuation of property within the city limits.
Issac Staples, son of Rev. Winslow Staples, was born in Topsham, Maine, Sept. 25, 1816. At eighteen years of age he bought his time of his father for three hundred and sixty dollars. He found employment on the Penobscot river at lumbering for two years, when he engaged in selling goods at Old Town, but soon after went into the lumbering business with S.F. Hersey. In 1849 Mr. Staples was appointed agent for the Penobscot Indians living at Old Town, twelve miles above Bangor, on the Penobscot. In October, 1853, Mr. Staples came to Minnesota for the purpose of purchasing pine lands, and located at Stillwater, moving his family here in 1854. Mr. Staples represented a wealthy company, composed of himself, S. F. Hersey and some Massachusetts men, who furnished all the money needed to buy pine land or make any other investments deemed advisable. They, through the agency of Mr. Staples, purchased immense quantities of pine timber. They built a large saw mill in Stillwater, and dealt in any and all branches of business considered remunerative. The advent of Isaac Staples in Stillwater gave to the city new life. Mr. Staples was indefatigable in his labors, full of vigor and in prime health. His ambition was unlimited, his judgment good. Backed up by a successful lumbering experience in Maine, and with money sufficient to meet all necessary calls, he was financially progressive and prosperous. In after years Messrs. Staples & Hersey purchased the entire interest of the firm of Hersey, Staples & Co. Subsequently the firm changed to Hersey & Staples and Hersey, Staples & Bean, and finally a division of property was agreedupon. Since the division Mr. Staples has been just as extensively engaged in the name of Isaac Staples in doing business as at any period in his past life.
In 1887 Mr. Staples purchased the property of the Cushing Company, located at St. Croix and Taylor's Falls, for $50,000. This property has long been in litigation and consequently has been unimproved. The advent of Mr. Staples, as proprietor, opens a new era in the history of the two villages at the head of navigation on the St. Croix.
In addition to his lumbering and real estate interests, Mr. Staples has also engaged in farming and stock raising on an extensive scale. He owns one farm of six hundred and forty acres within the limits of Stillwater. This farm is well stocked and supplied with stores, barns, shops and other buildings. It is used as a stork farm, and as a headquarters for supplying his lumbering camps.
Mr. Staples has another farm located on the line of the Minneapolis, Soo & Atlantic railway, eleven miles northwest of Stillwater, known as the Maple Island farm, which contains 1,400 acres of land, inclosed and supplied with barns, farm houses and other buildings. There are fine wells and lakes and some well stocked fish ponds. He owns a flouring mill on this farm.
Mr. Staples has a third farm at Bronson, Kanabec county, containing 2,000 acres of land, well under cultivation. Ann river flows through this farm, and is supplied with a dam to facilitate the driving of logs into Fish lake. The farm is also made a fitting-out place for the lumbering camps. These three farms are valued at $250,000.
Mr. Staples has lived an unusually busy life, and has been unusually successful. Though past the ordinary limit of human life, he is still active, and will probably continue to plan and work as long as he lives. He is happiest when most busily employed. His mind is of the active type. He is restless, alert, far-seeing, systematic, and persistent. Without these qualities he never could have achieved the success that has crowned his career. He has been twice married; first in 1839, to Miss Caroline B. Rogers, of Old Town, Maine, by whom he had one child, who is still living. Mrs. Staples died in 1810. He was again married, Jan, 31, 1841, to Miss Olivia J. Pettengill, of Old Town, Maine, by whom he has had eight children,—four sons and four daughters,—four of whom are living.
Samuel F. Hersey, of the late firm of Hersey, Staples & Co., was born in Sumner, Maine, in 1812. At an early day he became a citizen of Bangor, Maine, and wisely invested in pine timber lands on the Penobscot waters, when lands were cheap. Their true value was not appreciated by many. The business interests of the county had not been developed and lumber dealing was not profitable. The increase in value on his investments made him a wealthy man. He was a banker, merchant and lumberman. His investments always yielded a rich return. His associates and townsmen often elected him to posts of honor and trust. In 1842-57-65-67 and 69 he was in the Maine state legislature. When he died, Feb. 3. 1875, he was serving his second term (four years) as representative in Congress, from the Bangor or Fourth district of Maine. He died at his home in Bangor. Both houses of Congress paid fitting tributes to his high business, social and christian standing, and his worth as a legislator and statesman.
Mr. Hersey was not a citizen of Minnesota, but as early as 1851 became a member of the firm of Hersey, Staples & Co., of Stillwater, and interested himself greatly in Minnesota and Stillwater enterprises. Amongst other things he aided in building two railroads, and gave liberally for the erection of the Universalist church and to its library. He was thrice married, and left a family of four sons, the children of his second wife.
Roscoe F. Hersey, the oldest son, was born July 18, 1841, in Milford, Maine; was educated at the graded school in Bangor, and clerked in his father's store until 1862, when he volunteered as a soldier in Company A, Eighteenth Maine Infantry. He was appointed second lieutenant and rose to the rank of captain in 1863, but on May 19, 1864, was severely wounded at the battle of Spottsylvania Court House, was confined in the hospital nine months, and discharged with the brevet rank of colonel.
Col. Hersey spent two years in New Orleans, engaged in the shipping and commission business, and in the spring of 1867 came to Stillwater and thence to Lake City, where he had charge of the lumber and mercantile business of Hersey, Staples & Co. in that city for five years. In 1872 he returned to Stillwater, entered the firm of Hersey, Brown & Bean, dealers in lands, lumber and merchandise. In 1877 he was elected state senator and served one term. He has held many responsible positions.He married Eva C. Wardwell, of Bangor, Maine, Jan. 4, 1864. They have one son, Clinton, an enterprising, public spirited man, inheriting much of his father's will power.
Dudley H. Hersey, the second son, was born in Bangor, Dec. 25, 1847. He was educated at Westbrook Seminary, Maine, and came to Stillwater at an early age in the employ of his father. In 1872 he became one of the firm of Hersey, Bean & Brown. Mr. Hersey was married to Estella Wardwell, of Bangor, Maine, in 1870. They have one son, Samuel F.
Eugene M. Hersey, the third son, was born in Bangor, Maine, May 6, 1850. He was educated at the high school in Bangor. With his brother he has been interested in milling and lumbering operations. He was married in 1876.
Edward L. Hersey, the youngest son, was born in Bangor, Maine, April 29, 1852; graduated at Westbrook Seminary in 1871, and was married to Mary L. Merrill, of Chicago, in 1877.
JACOB BEAN.JACOB BEAN.
Jacob Beanwas born in Upper Stillwater, Maine, in 1837. In that centre of the lumbering interests he early and easily took to lumbering, and pursued the business continuously until 1863, when he came to Stillwater, where he became an active member of the firm of Hersey, Staples & Bean, and of Hersey, Bean & Brown.
Charles Beanwas born in Sandwich, New Hampshire, in 1827; removed to Orono, Maine, in 1835; followed lumbering onthe Penobscot river for a few years. He came to Stillwater in 1863, and some years later sent for his aged parents, giving them a home until their death. In 1865 he became one of the firm of Hersey, Staples & Bean, dealers in pine land. He is at present with his oldest son in California, where both are interested in real estate and irrigation enterprises. Mr. Bean has been twice married and has a family of eight children. The oldest daughter married Jerry Brown, now deceased. Mr. Bean moved to California in 1887.
Rudolph Lehmickewas born in Prussia in 1822. He learned the trade of cabinet and organ making; came to America in 1849, and to Stillwater in 1854, working at his trade until 1858. He served one year as justice of the peace, and having studied law was admitted to practice in 1859. In the fall of 1859 he was elected county auditor and served until 1874. He was elected judge of the probate court, in which position he continued until 1881. He has served as inspector of the prison, superintendent of public schools, and member of the board of education. Judge Lehmicke was married in 1853, in Coldwater, Michigan, to Jane Tackeberry. They have a family of five sons and two daughters.
Hollis R. Murdockwas born in Governeur, New York, Aug. 15, 1832. He graduated at Williams College, Massachusetts, in 1854, came to Stillwater in 1855, and was admitted to the practice of law in 1856, since which time he has been in continuous practice. He has held many offices of trust. Has been judge of the probate court and member of the legislature from Washington county, and director of a bank and railroad company. Mr. Murdock was married to Sarah A. Rice, Nov. 3, 1857.
George M. Seymourwas born in Onondaga county, New York, March 26, 1829. Part of his early life he spent on a farm, but later he learned the carpenter's trade and became a builder and contractor. While in Syracuse he engaged for some years in the manufacture of lumber and staves, and later, of salt. He was married to Anna B. Kingsley in 1851. In 1858 he came to Stillwater, and in 1861 was awarded the prison contract, and engaged in making cooperage. He was one of the founders of the firms of Seymour, Webster & Co. and Seymour, Sabin & Co. (the Northwestern Car Company). He was sheriff of Washington county for two years.
Frank A. Seymour, only son of George M., was cashier of the First National Bank of Stillwater for four years, and subsequently cashier of the Merchants Bank, St. Paul.
Marion O., only daughter of George M. Seymour, graduated from Mount Holyoke Seminary in 1880.