Chapter 27

MAYORS OF ST. ANTHONY FALLS.1855.H. T. Welles.1856.Alvaren Allen.1857.Wm. W. Wales.1858.Orrin Curtis.1859.Orrin Curtis.1860.R. B. Graves.1861.O. C. Merriman.1862.O. C. Merriman.1863.Edwin S. Brown.1864.O. C. Merriman.1865.Wm. W. Wales.1866.O. C. Merriman.1867.O. C. Merriman.1868.Winthrop Young.1869.W. W. McNair.1870.W. W. McNair.1871.Edwin S. Brown.MAYORS OF MINNEAPOLIS.1867.Dorillius Morrison1868.Hugh G. Harrison.1869.Dorillius Morrison.1870.Eli B. Ames.1871.Eli B. Ames.MAYORS OF MINNEAPOLIS SUBSEQUENT TO THE UNION WITH ST. ANTHONY FALLS.1872.Eugene M. Wilson.1873.George A. Bracket.1874.Eugene M. Wilson.1875.O. C. Merriman.1876.Albert A. Ames.1877.John DeLittre.1878.A. C. Rand.1879.A. C. Rand.1880.A. C. Rand.1881.A. C. Rand.1882.A. A. Ames.1883.A. A. Ames.1884.Geo. Pillsbury.1885.Geo. Pillsbury.1886.A. A. Ames.1887.A. A. Ames.1888.A. A. Ames.

Some wonder has been expressed that in the vicinity of one of the finest water powers on this continent there should be found so many saw mills run by steam. The question is partly an economical one, as owing to the heavy expenses entailed upon mill owners to prevent the retrogression of the falls, it may be cheaper for saw mill owners to use steam, especially as they can feed their furnaces with but little expense from the slabs and debris of their own lumber; but in this case a weightier reason maybe found in the fact that the west side of the river has been occupied chiefly by flouring mills, and the saw mills are moved to less eligible localities, and find it more convenient and economical to use steam instead of water.

One of the most remarkable mill disasters of modern times occurred May 2, 1878, in the Washington A mill. About 7P. M.the sound of a terrific explosion was heard and the city was shaken as by an earthquake. The mill in which it occurred was utterly demolished, as were also the Humboldt, the Zenith and the Palisade, while several others were badly wrecked. There were fourteen lives lost and the property destroyed amounted in value to over $1,000,000.

The cause of the explosion was at first not understood, but on thorough investigation was finally attributed to a mixture of exceedingly fine grain and flour dust with the air of the mills, in such proportion as to form a combustible mixture, which was accidentally ignited. The mills destroyed have since been replaced by better ones. The great Pilsbury A mill, which is perhaps beyond question the largest in the world, was begun in the following year. A canal was cut to supply it with power, and it was equipped with two Victor turbine water wheels of 1,450 horse power each and a 1,400 horse power engine; it was furnished with 400 pairs of rollers, 200 middlings purifiers, 20 run of stone, 200 bolting reels and other devices in keeping.

This magnificent lake is 10 miles southwest of Minneapolis, and 20 miles from St. Paul. Its extreme length is about 18 miles, varying in width from 1 to 5 miles. Its water area is about 15,000 acres, and its shore line is estimated at nearly 300 miles. A glance at the map will show what a variety of scenery it must have, being so broken and irregular. Its banks and islands are covered with forest trees except at a few points where villages have been located, or where some farmer had, years ago, cleared himself a farm.

There are three villages on Minnetonka, viz.: Excelsior, Wayzata and Mound City. Excelsior was settled in 1852, by a colony from New York State, and named from the title adopted bythe organization before leaving home. It was incorporated about 1879. It is located on a range of hills on the south shore of Lake Minnetonka, of which it has a commanding view. Its present population is about 850. It has two railways, the Minneapolis & St. Louis and the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba, and a motor line. It is distant 18 miles from Minneapolis. The oldest settlement on the lake is Wayzata, on the north shore of Lake Minnetonka, 10 miles from Minneapolis, via the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba railway, which passes through the village. The name Wayzata is a corruption of the Indian word Wy-ze-a-ta, meaning North Shore, or North Side. The village contains about 400 inhabitants, and commands considerable trade from the surrounding country.

There are several fine hotels upon the lake, equal if not superior to the famous hotels of eastern watering places. Prominent among these are the Hotel Lafayette, built at a cost of $200,000, the Lake Park Hotel and Excelsior House. Railways reach the lake at several points, and steamers make regular trips for tourists.

Minnehaha Falls, rendered famous in Longfellow's poems of Hiawatha, is located on Minnehaha creek, midway between Fort Snelling and St. Anthony Falls. It is deservedly a favored resort.

Court house (not completed)$2,000,000Post office500,000Exposition Hall350,000Science Hall125,000Library building190,000Soldiers' Home, near Minnehaha Falls100,000State University150,000Chamber of Commerce285,000Temple Court250,000Masonic Temple200,000City Market House225,000Athenæum250,000Hennepin Avenue Theatre140,000Washburn Orphan Asylum125,000House of Good Shepherd200,000Loan and Trust Company125,000Guaranty Life and Trust300,000Lumber Exchange150,000Builders' Exchange100,000Knights of Labor Exchange100,000S. C. Hall Lumber Company100,000Bank of Commerce200,000Union elevator375,000Minneapolis & Pacific elevator118,000St. Anthony elevator154,000Boston block100,000Nicollet House block100,000Albert Johnson block100,000Globe block200,000Wright block140,000Mutual block100,000Glen block200,000Langdon block120,000Central block, terrace150,000Syndicate block600,000West Hotel1,020,000Gates' tenements125,000Lowry's residence100,000Eastman & Cook's saw mill100,000Soo & St Marie shops145,000North Minneapolis pumping station214,000Tubular car works250,000Buel tenement block100,000Pillsbury A flour mill1,100,000Washburn A flour mill750,000Washburn B flour mill500,000Morrison flour mill100,000Christian & Co.'s flour mill100,000High School building100,000Church of the Dominican Fathers100,000Aggregate value of school property1,250,000Aggregate value of church property1,000,000Aggregate value of parks and boulevards1,000,000

General business$409,225Money orders1,215,951Income225,178Expense79,436

Established Jan. 7, 1854Hezekiah Fletcher.Dec. 22, 1854Carlos Wilcoz.April 7, 1856Alfred E. Ames.April 22, 1857Samuel Hidden.Aug. 30, 1858William P. Ankeny.April 4, 1861David Morgan.July 12, 1865Daniel Bassett.Nov. 17, 1866William W. McNair.March 11, 1867Cyrus Aldrich.April 15, 1871Geo. H. Keith.June 21, 1882Orlo M. Laraway.June 22, 1886John J. Ankeny.

The bonded debt of the city is $3,319,000. The city can not create a debt nor issue bonds to a greater amount than five per cent of the assessed valuation of city property, and the charter prohibits a floating debt.

The tax assessments for 1886$99,591,762Barrels of flour manufactured6,163,000Value of other manufactures$62,500,000Feet of lumber manufactured267,197,000Elevator capacity (bushels)11,820,000Bushels of wheat received34,904,260

Eight bridges span the river at Minneapolis as crossings for the various railroads. The stone arch viaduct of the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba cost $750,000. Municipal expenses, $2,542,714.

The following table gives the cut of lumber in Minneapolis for the last sixteen years:

1870118,233,1001871117,157,0001872167,918,8201873189,970,0001874191,305,6801875156,665,0001876200,371,2501877129,676,4001878130,274,4001879149,151,5001880195,452,2003881230,402,8001882312,239,8001883278,716,4801884300,724,3731885313,998,1661886267,196,519

West Minneapolis is located about eight miles from the court house, in sections 24 and 19 of township 27, range 24, and is notincluded within Minneapolis' city limits. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Louis, the Hastings & Dakota, and the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba railroads have stations here. It was surveyed in 1886, and organized shortly after. It has two threshing machine and other extensive manufactories. The Hennepin county poor farm is located near by.

Calvin A. Tuttle.—Mr. Tuttle was born in Holland, Connecticut, in 1811. He received an academic education, and remained with his parents until of age. He learned the trade of millwright with his father. In 1832 he went to Bangor, Maine, and worked at his trade until 1835, when he removed to Alton, Illinois. He came to St. Croix in 1838, and superintended the building of a mill. In 1841 he returned to Alton, where he was married to Charlotte Winkler. He lived in Davenport, Iowa, four years and one year at Chippewa Falls. In 1846 he removed to St. Anthony Falls, where he helped build the first saw mill. Here he worked eight years almost continuously at his trade. He purchased two hundred acres of land here, including university lands, which he sold for $3,500. He removed to West St. Anthony in 1852, to Robert Smith's government permit, and then ran the old government flouring mill, grinding only for the government. The grain, about 5,000 bushels annually, was brought from St. Louis. For holding Smith's permit, and grinding, he received one-eighth of the property. The government grinding was done for the privilege of making a claim on the government reservation. This claim, eighty acres in extent, located in what was then called West St. Anthony, now in the heart of Minneapolis, is worth millions of dollars. Mr. Tuttle sold his interest for $5,000. The old mill was built of stone, 30 x 30 feet, ground dimensions, two stories in height, with one run of stone. The mill was built in 1822. There was a farm near the mill, cultivated by soldiers. Mr. Tuttle returned to East St. Anthony in 1857, and removed to Minnetonka in 1858, where he lived five years. Thence he removed to Twin Rivers, Morrison county. He has a saw mill, farm and good home at Twin Rivers. In 1887 he returned to Minneapolis to spend the remainder of his days.

Cyrus Aldrich.—The subject of this memoir was born June 18, 1808, in Smithfield, Rhode Island. His father was Dexter Aldrich, and was engaged in shipping and merchandising. Hismother's maiden name was Hannah White. She was a descendant of Peregrine White, the first male child born after the landing of the Pilgrim Fathers. He received such an education as could be obtained at the common schools until he was eighteen years of age, when he left home to engage for a few years in a seafaring life. This life not proving to his taste, he abandoned it and engaged in other pursuits. At the age of twenty-nine he emigrated to Illinois and located at Alton, where he took a contract on the Michigan and Erie canal. In 1841, or about four years later, he removed to Galena, Illinois, where he secured employment with the firm of Galbraith & Porter, and engaged in staging and mail contracts. In 1845 he was elected to the Illinois legislature. The same year he was married to Clara Heaton, of Indiana, who, with one son and one daughter, survives him. In 1847 he was elected register of deeds of Joe Daviess county; in 1849 was appointed receiver of the land office at Dixon, Illinois; and in 1852 ran for Congress on the Whig ticket against Long John Wentworth, but was defeated by a small majority. He removed to Minnesota in 1855, locating at Minneapolis, then but a small village. In 1857 he was elected a member of the Republican wing of the constitutional convention, where his ability for leadership soon brought him to the front. In 1858 he was nominated and elected representative to Congress, Minnesota having meanwhile become a state. In 1860 he was re-elected. This was a trying time, but Mr. Aldrich acquitted himself well, and was especially commended for his devotion to the interests of the soldiers. In 1862 he declined a re-election, but allowed his name to be used (though unsuccessfully) as a candidate for the senate. He did not, however, entirely withdraw from public affairs, but accepted an appointment from President Lincoln as a member of the indemnity committee to adjust claims of settlers who had suffered during the Indian outbreak of 1862. He also devoted much of his time and energy to the establishment of the Northern Pacific railway.

In 1865 he was elected to the Minnesota legislature. In 1867 he was appointed postmaster of Minneapolis, which position he held for four years. His long and busy life has been spent chiefly in public service. He had not quite reached the scriptural limit of human life, but it was evident that his iron constitution had been overtasked and that he needed rest. The retirement andrest came too late. His health gradually failed until Oct. 5, 1871, when he closed his eyes upon the scenes of earth. His funeral, conducted from the Universalist church, of which he was a member, was one of the largest ever held in the State. Citizens of all parties and classes, the masonic and other social and civil bodies combined in paying the last tribute of respect to one who for fifteen years had been the most active, best known and most respected of their number.

Alfred Elisha Ames, M.D., was born at Colchester, Vermont, Dec. 13, 1814. He was the oldest son of Billy and Phebe (Baker) Ames, whose ancestors were early colonists from England. Alfred E. commenced the study of medicine in 1832. He occasionally taught school and worked at his trade of brickmason. He also varied his labors by publishing an arithmetic. He came West in 1838, locating first at Springfield, Illinois; concluded his medical studies at Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1845. Before leaving Illinois he was elected to the state senate. In 1851 he came to St. Anthony Falls, made a claim, and entered into partnership with Dr. J. H. Murphy. In 1852 he served as surgeon at Fort Snelling, and in 1853 was elected to the territorial legislature as a member of the house. In 1854 he was elected probate judge; in 1857 member of the Democratic wing of the constitutional convention, and in 1860 became a member of the state normal board. During the remainder of his life he devoted himself to the practice of medicine, but also served the public in many positions of trust. He died Dec. 24, 1874. His wife and five children survive him.

Albert Alonzo Ames, son of Dr. A. E. and Martha (Pratt) Ames, was born at Garden Prairie, Illinois, Jan. 18, 1842. He received a high school education at Minneapolis, studied medicine at Rush Medical College, Chicago, and graduated February, 1862. In August, 1863, he enlisted in the Ninth Minnesota Volunteers, but shortly after was commissioned assistant surgeon of the Seventh Minnesota Volunteers. He served for awhile in the Indian campaigns. In the fall of 1863 the regiment was ordered South. In July, 1864, he was commissioned as surgeon of the Seventh regiment in place of Dr. L. B. Smith, killed at Tupelo. He was mustered out of service at the close of the war with an excellent record as a physician and surgeon. After the war he devoted himself to the practice of his profession and topublic services in Minneapolis, excepting a period of six years spent in editorial life in California, first on the staff of theDaily Times, and later as managing editor of theAlta Californian. At the death of his father, in 1874, he returned to Minneapolis and resumed practice. He has filled the following positions of trust: 1867, member of the Minnesota legislature (house); 1875, member of the city council; 1876, mayor of Minneapolis; 1877, Democratic nominee for lieutenant governor (not elected); 1886, Democratic candidate for governor (not elected); 1886-87-88, again mayor of Minneapolis. Dr. Ames is a member of such prominent fraternities as the Masonic, Odd Fellows, Druids, Knights of Pythias, and Order of Elks.

Dr. Ames was married April 21, 1862, to Sarah, daughter of Capt. Richard Strout, of Minneapolis.

Jesse Ameswas born in Vinalhaven, Maine, Feb. 4, 1808. From the age of fourteen till his retirement in 1861, Mr. Ames devoted himself to a seafaring life. At the age of twenty-three he was captain of a schooner, and afterward of different ships, brigs, barks or schooners, all of them in the mercantile trade. He made between twenty and thirty voyages to Europe, circumnavigated Cape Horn several times, and sailed twice round the globe. Few men have seen more of the world. His last voyage was from New Zealand to London, where he sold his ship, and, coming to America, found him a beautiful home in the North Star State. He is a resident of Northfield, and is, with his son John T., the owner of the well known flouring mills at that place. He was married Oct. 27, 1832, to Margaret Tolman, of Rockland, Maine. They have two sons, one of whom, John T., is a resident of Northfield. The other son, Adelbert A., won distinction during the Civil War, leaving the service with the brevet rank of major general. Since the war he has served as senator from Mississippi, and as governor of that state.

Cadwallader C. Washburn.—Hon. C. C. Washburn was a man of rare nobility of character and possessed of an acute and powerful mind. He used his great talents for the good of the country. He was a man of philanthropic impulses and great generosity, as the following munificent gifts to the public will attest:

First—To the state of Wisconsin, in 1876, an astronomical observatory, located on the university lands at Madison, in styleof architecture and apparatus to carry into execution the design of the institution, equal, if not superior, to that of any like institution in the world.

Second—The donation of his "Edgewood Home," near Madison, Wisconsin, for educational purposes.

Third—The generously established school located on the shores of Lake Harriet, near Minneapolis, "The Washburn Home for Orphans," for the poor and unfortunate children of Minnesota.

Mr. Washburn was born in Livermore, Maine, April 22, 1818; lived at home until 1838, and devoted some time to obtaining a classical education. In 1838 and 1839 he taught school and clerked in Hallowell and Wiscassett, Maine. In the spring of 1839 he came West to Davenport, Iowa, and was employed a few months with David Dale Owen, on geological work. In 1840 and 1841 he studied law at Rock Island. Illinois. In 1842 he settled in Mineral Point, Wisconsin, and was admitted to practice law at Lancaster, Grant county, in Judge Dunn's court. He continued in practice at Mineral Point; also engaged in real estate and dealing in land warrants, and in 1852 established the Bank of Mineral Point. Mr. Washburn was elected representative to the thirty-fourth, thirty-fifth, thirty-sixth, and fortieth congresses. In February, 1861, the house appointed a special committee of thirty-three members on the state of the Union. A majority of the committee reported an amendment to the constitution of the United States, making slavery perpetual. Mr. Washburn and others made a minority report against making slavery perpetual. On this report we subjoin his remarks: "If this Union must be dissolved, whether by peaceable process or through fire and blood or civil war, we shall have the consolation of knowing that when the conflict is over those who survive will be what they never have been—inhabitants of a free country." Mr. Washburn changed his residence to La Crosse in 1861. He received a colonel's commission to recruit a cavalry regiment that year, and subsequently was promoted to the rank of brigadier general. He was elected governor of Wisconsin in 1872. In 1876 he erected a large flour mill at Minneapolis, which burned in 1878. It was soon after rebuilt. In this mill he introduced the first Hungarian patent process for making flour used in America. Mr. Washburn died at Eureka Springs, Arkansas, May 14, 1882. His body was brought to Wisconsin and buried at La Crosse.

W. D. Washburn

William Drew Washburn, the youngest of the Washburn brothers, was born at Livermore, Maine, Jan. 14, 1831. He worked upon his father's farm until twenty years of age; prepared himself for college by his own unaided efforts, entered Bowdoin College, and graduated in 1854. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1857, and in the same year came to Minneapolis as agent of the Minneapolis Mill Company, of which he became a partner. In 1861 President Lincoln appointed him surveyor general of Minnesota. During his term of office, which continued four years, he lived in St. Paul. On his return to Minneapolis he built a large saw mill and engaged extensively in the lumber trade. He was the chief mover in the Minneapolis & St. Louis and Minneapolis & Pacific railways. He has a large lumber and flour mill at Anoka, and with others erected the Palisade flour mill at Minneapolis. In 1878 he was elected representative to Congress from the Third district and re-elected in 1880. He has also served in the state legislature. He was a principal proprietor of the Minneapolis, Sault Ste. Marie & Atlantic railway, and was elected president of the company in 1883. Mr. Washburn has been successful in his business ventures, has accumulated a handsome property, and been liberal in using his means in the interests of Minneapolis and the State. He is eminently practical in his business ideas and methods, and affable and prepossessing in his manners. He married Lizzie Muzzy, of Bangor, Maine, in 1850, and has two sons and two daughters living.

Joseph Clinton Whitneywas born in Springfield, Vermont, April 14, 1818. In 1829 he removed with his parents to Lower Canada, where he remained till he was twenty years of age. He went to Oberlin, Ohio, 1840; graduated from the college in 1845, and from Union Theological Seminary in 1849. The same year he removed to Stillwater, where he organized the First Presbyterian church, of which he served as pastor until 1853, when he was called to the pastorate of the First Presbyterian church at Minneapolis, where he remained four years. He removed to Forest City, Meeker county, but returned to Minneapolis in 1860. In 1862 he enlisted in Company D, Sixth Minnesota Volunteers, and served three years. In 1865 President Lincoln appointedhim quartermaster with the rank of captain. In 1866 he returned to Minneapolis and engaged in business. In 1867 he was elected state senator from the Fifth district. Mr. Whitney has been greatly interested in the cause of education. He was a principal mover in establishing the public schools of Minneapolis, of Bennett Seminary for Young Ladies, and of Macalester College. He is president of the board of Bennett Seminary, and is one of the members of the state normal board. He was married July 10, 1849, to Eliza Baird. They have three sons and two daughters.

Charles Hoagwas born in Sandwich, New Hampshire, in 1808. He received a good education and taught school fifteen years. He came to Minneapolis in 1852, and occupied various positions of trust, having been a member of the first town council, the second treasurer of Hennepin county, and the superintendent of schools four years, commencing with 1870. Mr. Hoag suggested the name of Minneapolis for the growing young city of his adoption. He was a man of marked ability and refinement, and although a strong partisan his many admirable personal qualities won the esteem of those who most radically differed from him. He was twice married, his first wife dying in 1871. In 1873 he was married to Miss Susan F. Jewett who, with a daughter, Mrs. C. H. Clark, and one son, Levi, survives him. Mr. Hoag died February, 1888.

Franklin Steele.—No other pioneer has been more prominent in the early history of Minneapolis than Franklin Steele. A bold, sagacious, enterprising man, he came in the very vanguard of civilization, and promptly and fearlessly availed himself of the splendid opportunities that this, then almost unknown, frontier afforded. We have not many data of his early life, but his history since he set foot in Fort Snelling is elsewhere given as a part of the early history of the section in which he located, and need not be here repeated.

Franklin Steele was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. He came West by the advice of President Andrew Jackson, and arrived at Fort Snelling just after the conclusion of the treaty by which the Indians ceded their St. Croix lands to the government; whereupon Mr. Steele visited St. Croix Falls, made a claim and proceeded to make further improvements, such as building mills, as elsewhere narrated.

When appointed sutler of the army at Fort Snelling, he sold his St. Croix claims and identified himself thereafter with the interests of St. Anthony Falls and the section adjacent thereto, where he made claims and improvements. Among other enterprises illustrative of the faith of Steele and others in the future greatness of the prospective river cities, the fact may be mentioned that an organized company built a wire suspension bridge over the river just above the falls, a work projected while the adjacent lands were still in the hands of the government, and completed in 1855, at a time when such a structure was most needed and advantageous.

Mr. Steele was a man of far more than ordinary ability. Col. J. H. Stevens says of him: "He has been a good friend to Hennepin county, and as most of the citizens came here poor they never had to ask Mr. Steele a second time for a favor. Fortune has favored him, and while many a family has reason to feel thankful for his generosity and kindness, he constantly made money." The county of Steele was named after him. Mr. Steele was married to Miss Barney, a relative of the distinguished naval officer of that name. He died in Minneapolis in 1880.

Roswell P. Russellwas born in Richland, Vermont, March 15, 1820. His privileges for education were limited. He came to Michigan in 1836 and to Fort Snelling in 1839. He came from Prairie du Chien to the Fort in a mackinaw boat, part of the way on foot over the ice, and suffered much for want of food, sleep and from exposure. Mr. Russell remained at Fort Snelling until 1845, engaged for two years in the Indian trade, made a claim at St. Anthony Falls in 1847, and opened the first store, in a log building, at that place. In 1854 he was appointed receiver of the land office at Minneapolis. He has since been actively engaged in farming, merchandising and real estate transactions. He was the first chairman of the St. Anthony Falls town board, and has served one term as representative in the state legislature. He was a true and steadfast friend to his adopted city. He was married at St. Anthony Falls, Oct. 3, 1848, to Marion Patch. They have a family of seven sons and three daughters: Lucy C., wife of W. C. Colbrath; Charles M., Roswell P., Mary Bell, wife of F. M. Prince, of Stillwater; Carrie E., wife of F. L. Lovejoy, of Fargo, Dakota; Frank and Fred, twin brothers; Geo. B. Mc——, died in 1881; William and Edward E.

Horatio Phillips Van Clevewas born in Princeton, New Jersey, Nov. 22, 1809. He was educated at Princeton College and West Point, graduating from the latter institution in 1831. He served five years in the army, resigning in 1836. He followed farming and engineering in Michigan until 1856, when he came to Morrison county, Minnesota. In 1861 he enlisted as a volunteer in the Second Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, of which regiment he was commissioned colonel. He served during the war and left the service with a major general's commission, and has since served as adjutant general of the state of Minnesota. He was the postmaster of St. Anthony Falls prior to the union of that city with Minneapolis. He was married to Charlotte O. Clarke, daughter of Maj. Gen. Clarke of the United States Army. They have seven children.

Charlotte Ouisconsin van Cleve, a daughter of Gen. Clarke of the United States Army, was born at Fort Crawford, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, in 1819. Soon after her birth her father came up the river on a flatboat to the site of Fort Snelling. They were six weeks making the voyage. Miss Charlotte grew up amidst military surroundings, and on a remote frontier, and was married at Fort Winnebago, Wisconsin, to Horatio P. Van Cleve, when she had barely attained the age of sixteen years. Her husband resigned his position in the army about the time of his marriage, and removed to Michigan, but since 1856 her home has been in Minnesota. Of her children six sons are living in Hennepin county. A daughter is the wife of H. V. Hall, a missionary to the Sandwich Islands. Besides her own family she has reared five orphans. She is intellectually active and vigorous, takes great interest in the reforms of the day, and is a noble specimen of the pioneer women of the State. She is the founder of the Bethany Home in Minneapolis. She has specially interested herself in the poor, the downtrodden and the outcast classes of human society, and has exercised in this direction an untold influence for good.

Ard Godfreywas born at Orono, Maine, Jan. 18, 1813. He came to St. Anthony Falls in 1847, and was among the first to make improvements in utilizing the water power furnished by the falls. He built a dam and mill, and subsequently engaged in lumbering. In 1852 he settled on a claim near Minnehaha falls, where he built a saw and grist mill, some years later destroyed byfire. He was married in Maine, January, 1838, and has a family of six children. He still lives at his old homestead near Minnehaha falls.

Richard Chutewas born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Sept. 22, 1820. He first visited St. Anthony Falls in 1844, and built a trading house. He was one of the firm of W. G. Ewing & Co. In 1854 he located permanently at the Falls where he has been engaged in real estate operations, milling and other branches of business. He has been successful in his undertakings, and is a man of excellent standing in the community.

Lucius N. Parkerwas born in Chester, Vermont, Dec. 11, 1823. He came to Illinois in his boyhood and remained there till eighteen years of age, when he came to Marine, Minnesota, and engaged in lumbering. In 1846 he was one of the proprietors of the Osceola (Polk county, Wisconsin) mills. In 1849 he sold out his interest, removed to St. Anthony Falls and carried the mail between St. Paul and that city. He removed to the west side of the river, known now as Minneapolis, and has since resided there. He was married to Amanda Huse in 1849.

Capt. John Rollinswas born in March, 1806, at New Sharon, Maine. While in Maine he followed lumbering and hotel keeping. In 1848 he came to the Falls and engaged in lumbering, steamboating, milling and farming. He was a member of the first territorial council of Minnesota, in 1849-50. He was married to Betsey Martin at Newport, Maine, in 1832. They have seven children living. Capt. Rollins died in 1885.

John G. Lennonwas born in Bolton, England, July 6, 1815. He came to America in 1841 as supercargo of a vessel bound to New Orleans. In 1843 he located at St. Croix Falls, removed to St. Paul in 1848, and in 1850 to St. Anthony Falls, where he entered the service of the St. Anthony Outfit. In 1856 he engaged in the lumbering and mercantile business and in 1859 removed to a stock farm in Sibley county. During the Civil War he served as assistant commissary, and through Gen. Sibley's Indian campaign. At the suppression of the Indian revolt his regiment was transferred South and attached to the Sixteenth Army Corps, under Gen. A. J. Smith and Division Commander Gen. Joseph Mower and he served as quartermaster until mustered out at the close of the war, when he returned to civil life and commenced dealing in real estate. In 1873 he returnedto Minneapolis. He was married to Mary D. McLain in 1851. He died in August, 1887, leaving a widow and two children.

John H. Stevens.—Col. Stevens traces his ancestry to the Moors who, during the wars of the Alhambra were carried captive to France, where they became known as Huguenots. Driven by persecution from France to England, they emigrated thence with the Puritans on the Mayflower to America. Col. Stevens was born June 13, 1820, in Lower Canada, whither his parents had emigrated from Vermont. His father gave him an excellent education.

At an early day John H. came to the lead mines of South Wisconsin. During the war with Mexico he served as a soldier, and after the war, in 1849, came to the Northwest and located on the west bank of the Mississippi, at St. Anthony Falls, where he built the first frame house on the west side, on ground that afterward became the site of the union depot. He was a member of the lower house of the legislature of 1876, and has filled other public positions with honor to himself. He has been influential in municipal affairs, and always a staunch advocate of the interests of his city, county and State. He is the author of a book of "Reminiscences of Pioneer Life." He was married at Rockford, Illinois, in 1850, to Frances Helen Miller. They have one son, Francis H. G., and three daughters, Orma, Sarah and Kittie D., wife of P. B. Winston.

Caleb D. Dorrwas born at East Great Works, Penobscot county, Maine. He became a practical lumberman, and, coming to the Falls in 1847, bought of Hole-in-the-Day, a Chippewa chief at Swan River, one hundred trees at five dollars per tree, for St. Anthony Falls improvements, the first timber floated down the Mississippi above the mouth of Rum river.

Mr. Dorr was in the employ of the government for ten years, locating state and school lands. He has followed the business of scaling logs, and has also been boom master. He was married to Celestia A. Ricker, of Maine, March 4, 1849.

Rev. Edward Duffield Neill, the well known author of the "History of Minnesota," was born in Philadelphia Aug. 9, 1823. He was educated at the University of Pennsylvania and Amherst College, Massachusetts, graduating from the latter in 1842. He studied theology at Andover Theological Seminary,Massachusetts, and in 1847 preached as a missionary amongst the miners in and around Galena, Illinois. He was transferred to St. Paul in April, 1849, where he organized a society and erected the first Protestant church building in Minnesota not on mission grounds. It was situated on Third and Market streets. He also built for himself, on the corner of Fourth and Washington streets, the first brick house in the city. In 1855 he organized the House of Hope society and acted as its pastor five years. He was also the prime mover in establishing the Baldwin School. In 1855 he secured the building of the St. Paul College, for some years conducted as a classical school and afterward consolidated with the Baldwin School. He was the first territorial superintendent of public instruction, in 1851-2, and served as state superintendent from 1858 to 1864. He was called to fill many educational trusts.

April 29, 1861, he was appointed chaplain of the First Minnesota Volunteers, and served as such over two years. He was with his regiment at the battles of Bull Run, Fair Oaks and Malvern Hill. President Lincoln appointed him hospital chaplain, he became one of the president's private secretaries, and continued in that relation during the presidency of Andrew Johnson. In 1869 President Grant appointed him United States consul at Dublin, where he resided two years. Returning to Minnesota in 1871, he removed to Minneapolis and conducted the Baldwin School and St. Paul College, under the title of Macalester College, and located his school in the old Winslow House, Minneapolis. In January, 1874, Mr. Neill connected himself with the Reformed Episcopal church.

Mr. Neill has been a busy worker in literary, chiefly historical, fields. Editions of his "History of Minnesota" were published in 1858, 1873 and 1878. He has published many other valuable historical works. He is a ready and versatile writer, and is an authority on the subjects concerning which he treats. Mr. Neill was married to Nancy Hill, at Snow Hill, Maryland. Their children are Samuel Henry, Edward Duffield and John Selby Martin.

John Wensignor, a native of Switzerland, was born May 22, 1825; came to America in 1833, to St. Anthony Falls in 1849, and engaged successfully in mercantile pursuits. Mr. Wensignor has been a generous man to the poor, and although public spirited, has persistently declined office. Mr. Wensignor died in 1886.

Robert H. Hastywas born in York county, Maine, Dec. 12, 1823. He came to Stillwater in 1849, and engaged in lumbering. He was surveyor general of the First district two years. He enlisted in Company I, Sixth Minnesota, at the organization of the regiment in 1862, was commissioned second lieutenant, promoted to first lieutenant, and resigned Jan. 15, 1865. In 1881 he removed to Crystal Lake, Minnesota.

Stephen Pratt, a native of Penobscot county, Maine, was born, in 1828; came to St. Anthony Falls in October, 1849, where he followed lumbering until 1858. He was a member of the First Minnesota Cavalry during the Rebellion. In 1864 he removed to a farm. He died in 1887.

Capt. John Tapperwas born in Dorsetshire, England, March 25, 1820; came to America in 1840, and to Prairie du Chien and Fort Snelling in 1844. He served as a soldier during the Mexican War. He was the first toll collector on the St. Anthony Falls wire suspension bridge. He finally located on Steele's farm near Minnehaha falls, and is now living in Clayton county, Iowa.

R. W. Cummingswas born in Lycoming, Pennsylvania, June, 1825. He settled at Cottage Grove, Minnesota, in 1845, and in 1848 made a claim in St. Anthony, and improved it as a farm until the city required it for lots, since which time he has been engaged in the real estate business.

Elias H. Connerwas born in New Sharon, Maine, in 1824. In 1848 he came to Lakeland, Minnesota, and in 1849 to St. Anthony Falls, where he had charge of the work on the first suspension thrown across the Mississippi at that point. He also built the first bridge that spanned the St. Croix at Taylor's Falls. In 1855 he was married to Hannah Rollins.

C. F. Stimsonwas born in Maine, April 19, 1822. He came to Stillwater in June, 1848, and thence to St. Anthony Falls, where he followed lumbering. He was treasurer of Ramsey county for one year. In 1879 he moved to his farm near Elk River. He has a wife and two children.

William Dugaswas born in Three Rivers, Canada East, May 17, 1809. He came to New York in 1831. He spent some time traveling, visiting Africa, New Orleans, Indian Territory, Iowa, and Illinois, and other places more or less remote. He came to Minnesota in 1844, and was a representative in the first territorial legislature. Later he removed to St. Anthony Falls. He afterwardremoved to Dayton, Minnesota. He was married at Prairie du Chien in 1844.

Davis Gorhamwas born in Quebec; came to Virginia, where he spent two years, and thence to Maine, where he lived twelve years. In April, 1849, he came to St. Anthony Falls, and made valuable land claims near Lake Calhoun. He followed lumbering for about twelve years. In 1864 he started for California, but was driven back by the Sioux Indians. In 1867 he settled in Plymouth, where he has been supervisor for ten years.

Edwin Hedderlywas born in Philadelphia in 1814. In 1849 he came to St. Anthony Falls and in 1851 made a claim of one hundred and sixty acres west of the river, within the present bounds of Minneapolis. He served on various committees for selecting a name for the new city and its streets, and until his death was ever active and influential in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the city. He was married to Mary J. Kennard, of Philadelphia. Eight children of this union survive him and are residents of the city. Mr. Hedderly died in 1879.

Louis Neudeck, born December, 1821, came to St. Anthony Falls in 1849. He subsequently lived in Missouri, Illinois and at Stillwater, but in 1855 returned to the Falls. He died in 1864. He was supposed to have been killed by Indians while absent in Montana, the only clue to his sad fate being the recovery of his revolver having his name inscribed on it, from an Indian. He left a widow and five children.

Andrew J. Fosterwas born in Cooper, Maine, June, 1827, and came to the Falls in 1849, where he engaged in the lumbering, grocery, gardening, and real estate business. He married Mrs. Mary Averill, of Stillwater. Their children are Ada, William, Owen and Elmer.

A. D. Foster, a Pennsylvanian, born in 1801, came to St. Anthony Falls in 1848. He assisted in building the Gov. Ramsey, the first boat above the falls. He has engaged in fruit culture and merchandising. He was married in Pennsylvania and has three children; Josiah, resident in Indianapolis; Lysander, a physician in Minneapolis; and a daughter, married.

Charles E. Vanderburgh, a native of Clifton, Parke county, New York, born Dec. 2, 1829, graduated at Yale College an 1852, and served for awhile as principal of Oxford Academy, New York. He studied law and was admitted to practice in 1855. In 1856 he came to Minneapolis, which has since been hishome. In 1849 he was elected judge of the district court, which at that time embraced all the territory west of the Mississippi from Fort Snelling to the north boundary line. He has been continuously re-elected, an evidence of the high estimation in which he is regarded by his fellow citizens.

Judge Vanderburgh has been twice married. His first wife, Julia M. Mygatt, wedded Sept. 2, 1857, died April 23, 1863, leaving two children, William Henry and Julia M. His second wife was Anna Culbert, married April 15, 1873. They have one child, Isabella McIntyre. His daughter Julia was accidentally drowned Sept. 12, 1871.

Dorillius Morrisonwas born at Livermore, Oxford county, Maine, Dec. 26, 1816. He received a common school and academic education. He taught school awhile, and then engaged in the mercantile business, the last eleven years at Bangor, when in the spring of 1853 he came to Minneapolis, where he became prominent as a business man, following lumbering, dealing in real estate, milling and railway building. He is one of the projectors and proprietors of the Minneapolis Mill Company. He is also sole owner and proprietor of a cotton mill costing $100,000. He was deeply interested in the Northern Pacific railroad. He was the first mayor of Minneapolis, in 1867, and served as senator in the sixth legislature in May, 1840. He was married to Harriet Putnam Whitmore, a descendant of Gen. Israel Putnam. They have three children, Clinton and George Henry, residents of Minneapolis, and Grace E., the wife of Dr. H. H. Kimball, of Minneapolis.

H. G. O. Morrison, brother of Dorillius, was born in Livermore, Maine, Jan. 24, 1817. He graduated at the Bangor high school. He worked at printing in his youth, read law and was admitted to practice in 1838, locating afterward at Sebre, Maine. He was a member of the Maine senate in 1841. In 1855 he came to St. Anthony Falls. He moved to Dakota county soon after, and represented that county in the state legislatures of 1860-61. He resided in Dakota county for twelve years. He was assessor of internal revenue from 1869 to 1873, during which time he lived in St. Paul. In 1873 he removed to Minneapolis, where he has since resided. He has been twice married. His second wife was Rebecca Newell. They have three children, Daniel W., Samuel B. and Stanford.

Judge F. R. E. Cornellwas born in 1821, in Chenangocounty, New York; was educated at Union College, New York; studied law and was admitted to practice in 1846. He came to Minneapolis in 1854. During his residence in New York he was a member of the state senate. In January, 1875, he took his seat as associate justice of the supreme court of Minnesota, which office he held until his death, which occurred in 1879.

Gen. A. B. Nettletoncame from Ohio, and became one of the editors of the MinneapolisTribune. He served during the Civil War, participated in seventy-three battles, and was promoted through the various grades from private to brigadier general.

Judge Isaac Atwaterwas born in Homer, Cortland county, New York. He graduated at Yale College in 1844, practiced law in New York City until 1850, when he came to St. Anthony Falls and practiced law with G. W. North as partner. He was one of the first regents of the State University; edited the St. AnthonyExpressfrom 1851 to 1857; served as district attorney from 1853 to 1857; was elected associate justice of the supreme bench in 1857, resigned the position in 1864, and removed to California, where he practiced law. After an absence of three years he returned to Minneapolis, where he has been honored with the offices of alderman, president of the Board of Education, etc. He was married to Pamelia A. Sanborn in 1849. Their son John B. is associated with his father in law practice.

Rev. David Brooks, a venerable pioneer clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church, was born in England in 1802. He was educated there and preached ten years in the Wesleyan connection. He came to America in 1842, and joined the Methodist Episcopal church, which he has served faithfully since as pastor and presiding elder in Northern Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. He was among the pioneer preachers in the latter state. In 1853 he was presiding elder of a district that included all of the present Minnesota conference. In 1854 he secured the charter for Hamline University, and was instrumental in obtaining a donation of $25,000 from Bishop Hamline for its endowment.

Rev. Jabez Brooks, D.D., son of Rev. David Brooke, was born in England, and came to America in 1842. He is a graduate of Middleton Wesleyan University. For several years he was professor of Greek, and later president, of Hamline University.He served also as professor of Greek in Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin. He has for many years been professor of Greek in the State University.

John S. Pillsburywas born in New Hampshire, July 29, 1828. He received a New England common school education. He came to the Falls in 1855, and by close application to business acquired a position of wealth and influence. He has occupied many prominent positions in Minneapolis and the State. He served five terms as state senator, from the sixth to the tenth legislatures. In 1863 he was appointed a regent of the State University. He was elected governor of the State in 1875, and re-elected in 1877. He was married in November, 1856, to Mahala Fisk, of Warner, New Hampshire. Their children are Ada, Susie, May, Sadie Belle, and Alfred Fisk.

Henry T. Welleswas born in Connecticut, April 3, 1821, graduated at Trinity College, and came to St. Anthony Falls in 1853, where he engaged successfully in the lumbering, banking and real estate business. He is a liberal, public spirited citizen, contributing freely to all enterprises looking to the growth and welfare of the city as well as to charitable objects.

David Blakelyhas been prominent in journalism, having been connected at various times with papers in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Chicago: He was one of the founders of the MinneapolisTribune.

William Lochren, a native of Tyrone, Ireland, was born April 3, 1832; was brought to America when he was two years old; was educated in Vermont; admitted to the bar, and came to the Falls in 1856, where he has since practiced law, excepting a term of service in the army during the Rebellion as first lieutenant of Company E, First Minnesota Volunteers. Since the war he has served as city attorney, as state senator in 1868 69, and as district judge from 1883 to the present time. In 1871 he was married to Mrs. Martha Demmen, who died in 1879.

Eugene M. Wilsonwas born in 1834, in Monongalia county, Virginia. His ancestors were Scotch-Irish, who came to this country at an early date. His grandfather served in the Revolutionary War. Mr. Wilson graduated at Jefferson College, Cannonsburg, Pennsylvania, in 1852, read law with his father, was admitted to practice in 1855, and came to Minneapolis in 1857. He served as United States district attorney during President Buchanan's administration. During the Rebellion he was captain of Company A, First Minnesota Cavalry, serving on the frontier until 1853, when the company was discharged by the completion of term of enlistment.


Back to IndexNext