SEAL OF THE ASSOCIATION.SEAL OF THE ASSOCIATION.
The first meeting of the Old Settlers Association was held, in pursuance of public notice, at the hall of the Historical Society of Minnesota, in the capitol, in St. Paul, on Saturday, Feb. 27, 1858.
On motion of Judge Goodrich, his excellency Henry H. Sibley was unanimously elected president. Hon. Aaron Goodrich and Hon. L. A. Babcock were unanimously elected vice presidents, A. L. Larpenteur, Esq., secretary, and J. W. Bass, Esq.treasurer. After which Gov. Sibley addressed the meeting in a manner able, pertinent and feeling. Several other members spoke.
On motion a committee of three was appointed by the chair to report by-laws for the government of the association. Also a committee of three to report such measures as shall be deemed best calculated to effectuate the objects of the charter.
The president appointed H. L. Moss, L. A. Babcock and T. R. Potts committee on by-laws, and Aaron Goodrich, B. W. Lott and Chas. S. Cave committee on charter.
Judge Goodrich said this occasion was one of deep and abiding interest to the pioneers of Minnesota; that there were epochs in our history that should be commemorated. He desired that the first day of June be fixed upon as the day for the future meetings of the association; he named this day for the reason that on the first day of June, 1849, the local organization of this Territory took place.
The following resolution was adopted:
Resolved, That the annual meeting of this association be heldon the first day of June, providing that when said month shall commence on the Sabbath, said meeting shall be held on the following Monday.
On motion of Judge Goodrich the following preamble and resolution were adopted:
Whereas, The object of this association and the individuals composing the same are closelyalliedto and identified with that of the Historical Society of Minnesota, therefore
Resolved, That up to the period in which this association shall possess a hall in which to meet, its place of meeting shall be the hall of said Historical Society.
As a matter of history we record the names of the members originally and subsequently enrolled.
Ames, Michael E.*Ayer, Frederick.*Abbott, G. S.+Altenberg, William.*Armstrong, William.+Atkinson, John W.Anderson, John.+Arpin, A.*Babcock, Lorenzo A.*Bailly, Alexis.*Bass, Jacob W.Beatty, James.Banfill, John.*Barton, Thomas.*Bazille, Charles.*Becker, George L.Berard, Antoine.+Bevans, Henry L.*Black, Mahlon.Bautien. V.+Beaulieu, Clement H.Beau, James.+Bishop. Thornton.Beaupre, Philip.Blackburn, John T.Burns, Hugh.Berriwick, J.*Blair, O. H.*Boutwell, W. T.Blakeley, Russell.Bolles, Lemuel.*Borup, Chas. W. W.*Bostwiek, Lardner.*Bradley, J.*Brady, Patrick.*Brawley, Daniel J.*Brisette, Edmond.*Bromley, C. B.Brown, Joseph R.*Brown, Wm. R.*Brunson, Benj. WBryant, Alden.+Buffit, C.+Burkelo, Samuel.*Bottineau, Pierre.Bettington, John C.+Beauchier, Francis.+Besour, A. C.*Bailly John.+Boal, James Mc C.*Campbell, George W.*Cavalier, Charles.Cave, Chas. S.Cavender, A. H.Chute, Rirchard.Clewitt, James R.*Colter, William.*Conway, Chas. R.Cooper, David.*Cormack, John.*Cave, William.Culver, George.*Culver, J. B.*Connell, William.+Cummings, R. W.Curtis, Harley.*Chapman, John J.+Cloutier, A.+Colby, Wm. F.Colter, Charles.Carlie, C.*Chase, A. M.Comer, Elias H.Church, Cal.+Dana, Napoleon, J. T.Day, David.Day, James.*Dayton, Lyman.*Desmarais, Louis.Desnoyers, Stephen.*Dewey, John J.Dibble, William B.*Doe, William E.*Day, Henry T.Day, Leonard P.*Dorr, Caleb D.Dobney, John.Durant, E. W.Day, William P.+Dudley, John.Davis, Patten W.Dresser, Horace.+Elfelt, Charles D.Ely, Edmund F.*Ellison, Smith.Eddy, Frank S.*Eldridge, Ariel.Eaton, Alonzo.+Elfelt, L. C.*Faribault, J. B.*Faribault, Alex.*Farrington, G. W.+Fisher, Jacob.Forbes, W. H.*Ford, J. A.+Finch, T. M.+Findley, S. J.*Foster, A. D.*Foster, Thomas.*Freeborn, William.*French, A. R.*Folsom, S. P.Furber, J. W.*Furber, P. P.*Fuller, A. G.+Folsom, W. H. C.Fox, Patrick.Fairbanks, John H.Foster, Henry.+Furber, Theodore.Fisk, Frank.Folsom, Edgar.Folsom, Ward W.Farnham, S. W.Fillmore, R. G.Fisher, John.Finn, William.Farnham, Rufus, Jr.Gammel, Irenus.*Gibbs, H.R.Gilman, David.*Godfrey, Ard.Goodrich, Aaron.*Greely, Elam.*Guerin, Vetal.*Gautier, Napoleon.Guernsey, W.H.Glenn, Samuel.*Getchel, W. W.Gervais, Benjamin.Gardner, Charles R.Gardner, John C.*Gray, Isaac.Guion, Joseph.Hartshorn, W.*Hartshorn, W. E.Hobart, Chancey.Holcombe, William.*Holmes, Thomas.*Hoyt, B. F.*Hoyt, Lorenzo.Hopkins, Daniel.*Hopkins, Peter.Humphrey, J. K.Harris, George.Holton, John.*Houghton, George.Houghton, James.Haskell, Joseph.Hone, David.*Henkly, J. S.+Hoffman, James.+Haskill, Hiram.+Hetherington, Thomas,*Holcombe, W. W.Hill, Lewis.Irvine, J. R.*Irvine, B. F.Jackson, Henry.*Jarvis, W. H.*Johnson, P. K.Johnson, R. W.Jackins, John.*Jackman, H. A.Kellogg, M. N.Kennedy, Robert.Kittson, N. W.*Keogh, James.Knox, M. C.Kent, William.Kattenberg, Henry.Lambert, H. A.*Larpenteur, E. N.*Larpenteur, A. L.Lennon, J. G.*Lennon, J. E.Leavitt, Martin.Lull, C. P. V.Lyman, Cornelius S.*Lott, B. W.*Ludden, J. D.Leonard, C. E.Loomis, D. B.Lowry, S. B.*Lyman, Stoers B.Lyman, David P.McKenny, J. H.*McKenzie, J. G.Masterson, H. F.McKusick, John.McKusick, J. E.Mitchell, J. B. H.Marshall, W. R.McLeod, Martin.*McCleod, Alexander.*McLean, N.*Murphy, Edward.*Meeker, Bradley B.*Murphy, Alfred C.+McKusick, William.McHattie, Alexander.Manaege, Peter.Mackey, Andrew.McDonald, R.+Masier, Josiah.*Marks, Isaac.*Moreau, Charles.*Mahoney, Wm.*Mahoney, Jeremiah.Morgan, John.*Moffett, Lot.*Morrison, W. C.Morrison, Allen.*Morton, T. F.*Moss, H. L.Murray, M. P.Murphy, J. W.Myrick, Nathan.McComb, J. D.McKean, Elias.McMullen, James.+McLean, Henry.+Masterman, Joseph.Mause, John.Mower, Wm.*Mower, Martin.Mower, John E.*Mosher, Jacob.McHale, M.+McHattie, John.McLery, Charles.+Moulton, E. (Jr.)+McCarty, A.+Manse, Charles.+Neill, E. D.Nichols, G. C.*Nelson, Socrates.*Nobles, W. H.*Norris, J. S.*North, J. W.Northrup, Anson.Newbury, H. H.Oakes, C. H.*Oakes, David.*Odel, T. S.*Olmsted, David.*Owens, J. P.*Parker, Rodney.*Perin, Moses.Potts, T. R.*Prescott, Philander.*Presley, Bartley.*Pomeroy, J. H.Proctor, J. S.Pond, G. H.Powers, Simon.*Potter, Colver.+Perro, Joseph.Parker, L. N.Parsons, Oliver.Quinn, W. B.Quinn, Peter.+Randall, B. H.Randolph, S. R.*Ramsey, Alexander.Ramsey, J. C.*Ravoux, Auguste.Reed, C. M.*Rice, H. M.Rice, Edmund.Robertson, Andrew.*Rice, C. R.*Robert, Louis.*Robert, Joseph.*Richardson, R. M.Rollins, John.*Rose, Isaac.*Russell, R. P.Russell, Jeremiah.*Riggs, S. R.*Robert, Alexis.+Roy, Peter.*Russell, William.Rohrer, Daniel.Robert, Nelson.Rogers, John.Ramsden, Thomas.Rutherford, Wm.*Rogers, Richard.+Rutherford, James.*Selby, J. W.*Simons, Orlando.Simpson, J. W.*Simpson, Robert.Shaffer, C. E.Shearer, A. L.*Sherman, M.Spencer, J. B.Spicer, Nathan.+Shelley, E. Y.Steele, Franklin.*Spencer, John H.+Sawyer, Seth M.*Spates, Samuel.+Somerville, John.+Stevens, J. H.Stone, Lewis.*Sturgis, W.*Sweet, G. W.Setzer, H. N.Stanchfield, Sam.*Sibley, H. H.Stinson, C. F.+Santel, A.+Staples, Josiah.+Shamley, John+Sanford, H. S.+Shearer, James.Stratton, L. W.*Scott, C. P.+Short, A. J.Shoasby, John.*Stiles, W. L.+Taylor, J. L.Taylor, Jesse W.*Taylor, N. C. D.*Terry, J. C.Tinker, W. H.Thompson, James (colored).*Trask, Sylvanus.Trower, John.+Thompson, G. W.*Terry, Robert.*Van Voorhes A.*Villaume, Thomas.*Von Tassel, William.*Walker, Orange.*Whitaker, E. H.Whitney, J. C.Wilkinson, M. S.Wilkin, Alex.*Wells, James.*Wilson, Harvey.*Woodbury, Warren.*Willoughby, A.*Wright, Thomas.+Williamson, T. S.*Willim, William.Wilmarth, Alvin M.Wallis, John.+Worthingham, Wm.+White, Asa.*Westing, Henry.*Welshance, M.*Williams, D. D.*Whalen, Patrick.*Yorks, J. C.
Ames, Michael E.*Ayer, Frederick.*Abbott, G. S.+Altenberg, William.*Armstrong, William.+Atkinson, John W.Anderson, John.+Arpin, A.*Babcock, Lorenzo A.*Bailly, Alexis.*Bass, Jacob W.Beatty, James.Banfill, John.*Barton, Thomas.*Bazille, Charles.*Becker, George L.Berard, Antoine.+Bevans, Henry L.*Black, Mahlon.Bautien. V.+Beaulieu, Clement H.Beau, James.+Bishop. Thornton.Beaupre, Philip.Blackburn, John T.Burns, Hugh.Berriwick, J.*Blair, O. H.*Boutwell, W. T.Blakeley, Russell.Bolles, Lemuel.*Borup, Chas. W. W.*Bostwiek, Lardner.*Bradley, J.*Brady, Patrick.*Brawley, Daniel J.*Brisette, Edmond.*Bromley, C. B.Brown, Joseph R.*Brown, Wm. R.*Brunson, Benj. WBryant, Alden.+Buffit, C.+Burkelo, Samuel.*Bottineau, Pierre.Bettington, John C.+Beauchier, Francis.+Besour, A. C.*Bailly John.+Boal, James Mc C.*Campbell, George W.*Cavalier, Charles.Cave, Chas. S.Cavender, A. H.Chute, Rirchard.Clewitt, James R.*Colter, William.*Conway, Chas. R.Cooper, David.*Cormack, John.*Cave, William.Culver, George.*Culver, J. B.*Connell, William.+Cummings, R. W.Curtis, Harley.*Chapman, John J.+Cloutier, A.+Colby, Wm. F.Colter, Charles.Carlie, C.*Chase, A. M.Comer, Elias H.Church, Cal.+Dana, Napoleon, J. T.Day, David.Day, James.*Dayton, Lyman.*Desmarais, Louis.Desnoyers, Stephen.*Dewey, John J.Dibble, William B.*Doe, William E.*Day, Henry T.Day, Leonard P.*Dorr, Caleb D.Dobney, John.Durant, E. W.Day, William P.+Dudley, John.Davis, Patten W.Dresser, Horace.+Elfelt, Charles D.Ely, Edmund F.*Ellison, Smith.Eddy, Frank S.*Eldridge, Ariel.Eaton, Alonzo.+Elfelt, L. C.*Faribault, J. B.*Faribault, Alex.*Farrington, G. W.+Fisher, Jacob.Forbes, W. H.*Ford, J. A.+Finch, T. M.+Findley, S. J.*Foster, A. D.*Foster, Thomas.*Freeborn, William.*French, A. R.*Folsom, S. P.Furber, J. W.*Furber, P. P.*Fuller, A. G.+Folsom, W. H. C.Fox, Patrick.Fairbanks, John H.Foster, Henry.+Furber, Theodore.Fisk, Frank.Folsom, Edgar.Folsom, Ward W.Farnham, S. W.Fillmore, R. G.Fisher, John.Finn, William.Farnham, Rufus, Jr.Gammel, Irenus.*Gibbs, H.R.Gilman, David.*Godfrey, Ard.Goodrich, Aaron.*Greely, Elam.*Guerin, Vetal.*Gautier, Napoleon.Guernsey, W.H.Glenn, Samuel.*Getchel, W. W.Gervais, Benjamin.Gardner, Charles R.Gardner, John C.*Gray, Isaac.Guion, Joseph.Hartshorn, W.*Hartshorn, W. E.Hobart, Chancey.Holcombe, William.*Holmes, Thomas.*Hoyt, B. F.*Hoyt, Lorenzo.Hopkins, Daniel.*Hopkins, Peter.Humphrey, J. K.Harris, George.Holton, John.*Houghton, George.Houghton, James.Haskell, Joseph.Hone, David.*Henkly, J. S.+Hoffman, James.+Haskill, Hiram.+Hetherington, Thomas,*Holcombe, W. W.Hill, Lewis.Irvine, J. R.*Irvine, B. F.Jackson, Henry.*Jarvis, W. H.*Johnson, P. K.Johnson, R. W.Jackins, John.*Jackman, H. A.Kellogg, M. N.Kennedy, Robert.Kittson, N. W.*Keogh, James.Knox, M. C.Kent, William.Kattenberg, Henry.Lambert, H. A.*Larpenteur, E. N.*Larpenteur, A. L.Lennon, J. G.*Lennon, J. E.Leavitt, Martin.Lull, C. P. V.Lyman, Cornelius S.*Lott, B. W.*Ludden, J. D.Leonard, C. E.Loomis, D. B.Lowry, S. B.*Lyman, Stoers B.Lyman, David P.McKenny, J. H.*McKenzie, J. G.Masterson, H. F.McKusick, John.McKusick, J. E.Mitchell, J. B. H.Marshall, W. R.McLeod, Martin.*McCleod, Alexander.*McLean, N.*Murphy, Edward.*Meeker, Bradley B.*Murphy, Alfred C.+McKusick, William.McHattie, Alexander.Manaege, Peter.Mackey, Andrew.McDonald, R.+Masier, Josiah.*Marks, Isaac.*Moreau, Charles.*Mahoney, Wm.*Mahoney, Jeremiah.Morgan, John.*Moffett, Lot.*Morrison, W. C.Morrison, Allen.*Morton, T. F.*Moss, H. L.Murray, M. P.Murphy, J. W.Myrick, Nathan.McComb, J. D.McKean, Elias.McMullen, James.+McLean, Henry.+Masterman, Joseph.Mause, John.Mower, Wm.*Mower, Martin.Mower, John E.*Mosher, Jacob.McHale, M.+McHattie, John.McLery, Charles.+Moulton, E. (Jr.)+McCarty, A.+Manse, Charles.+Neill, E. D.Nichols, G. C.*Nelson, Socrates.*Nobles, W. H.*Norris, J. S.*North, J. W.Northrup, Anson.Newbury, H. H.Oakes, C. H.*Oakes, David.*Odel, T. S.*Olmsted, David.*Owens, J. P.*Parker, Rodney.*Perin, Moses.Potts, T. R.*Prescott, Philander.*Presley, Bartley.*Pomeroy, J. H.Proctor, J. S.Pond, G. H.Powers, Simon.*Potter, Colver.+Perro, Joseph.Parker, L. N.Parsons, Oliver.Quinn, W. B.Quinn, Peter.+Randall, B. H.Randolph, S. R.*Ramsey, Alexander.Ramsey, J. C.*Ravoux, Auguste.Reed, C. M.*Rice, H. M.Rice, Edmund.Robertson, Andrew.*Rice, C. R.*Robert, Louis.*Robert, Joseph.*Richardson, R. M.Rollins, John.*Rose, Isaac.*Russell, R. P.Russell, Jeremiah.*Riggs, S. R.*Robert, Alexis.+Roy, Peter.*Russell, William.Rohrer, Daniel.Robert, Nelson.Rogers, John.Ramsden, Thomas.Rutherford, Wm.*Rogers, Richard.+Rutherford, James.*Selby, J. W.*Simons, Orlando.Simpson, J. W.*Simpson, Robert.Shaffer, C. E.Shearer, A. L.*Sherman, M.Spencer, J. B.Spicer, Nathan.+Shelley, E. Y.Steele, Franklin.*Spencer, John H.+Sawyer, Seth M.*Spates, Samuel.+Somerville, John.+Stevens, J. H.Stone, Lewis.*Sturgis, W.*Sweet, G. W.Setzer, H. N.Stanchfield, Sam.*Sibley, H. H.Stinson, C. F.+Santel, A.+Staples, Josiah.+Shamley, John+Sanford, H. S.+Shearer, James.Stratton, L. W.*Scott, C. P.+Short, A. J.Shoasby, John.*Stiles, W. L.+Taylor, J. L.Taylor, Jesse W.*Taylor, N. C. D.*Terry, J. C.Tinker, W. H.Thompson, James (colored).*Trask, Sylvanus.Trower, John.+Thompson, G. W.*Terry, Robert.*Van Voorhes A.*Villaume, Thomas.*Von Tassel, William.*Walker, Orange.*Whitaker, E. H.Whitney, J. C.Wilkinson, M. S.Wilkin, Alex.*Wells, James.*Wilson, Harvey.*Woodbury, Warren.*Willoughby, A.*Wright, Thomas.+Williamson, T. S.*Willim, William.Wilmarth, Alvin M.Wallis, John.+Worthingham, Wm.+White, Asa.*Westing, Henry.*Welshance, M.*Williams, D. D.*Whalen, Patrick.*Yorks, J. C.
[Note: * Deceased.]
[Note: + Unknown.]
The society was organized in 1849 by a few of the pioneers of the Territory, and incorporated by an act of the first territorial legislature, approved Oct. 20, 1849, this being the first literary institution organized in the Territory; and its "library," then only a few volumes, was the first ever established in Minnesota. The original charter of the society stated its objects to be: "The collection and preservation of a library, mineralogical and geological specimens, Indian curiosities, and other matters and things connected with, and calculated to illustrate and perpetuate the history and settlement of said Territory." The amended charter of 1856 enacted: "The objects of said society, with the enlarged powers and duties herein provided, shall be in addition to the collection and preservation of publications, manuscripts, antiquities, curiosities, and other things pertaining to the social, political and natural history of Minnesota, to cultivate among the citizens thereof a knowledge of the useful and liberal arts, science and literature."
The work of this society may therefore be formulated thus:
I. (1) The collection, (2) the preservation, (3) the publication of materials for the history of Minnesota and its people.
II. The collection and management of a library containing useful works of reference on the most valuable departments of knowledge.
III. The diffusion among citizens of the State of useful knowledge.
In the early days of the Territory, owing to its want of means, the sparse population and its poverty, and the infancy of the commonwealth generally, the society accomplished but little beyond collecting some information regarding the early history of this region, and printing the same in several pamphlet volumes. In 1864 it had only eight hundred and forty volumes in its library. It was then reorganized, and with the aid of a small annual appropriation from the State, since enlarged, has been able to make very gratifying progress.
It has now comfortable apartments in the state capitol, a building believed to be fireproof; a sufficient income to pay its current expenses, granted partly by the State and partly contributed by its members; one of the largest and most valuable libraries in the State, containing 22,000 volumes of choice works, together with a cabinet or museum of historical and archælogical curiosities, and a number of historical pictures, engravings, manuscripts, etc. An endowment fund of several thousand dollars, accumulated by gifts and membership fees; two lots, eligibly situated, on which at no distant day, will be erected a fireproof building.
Reference was made before to the building lots of the society. These were purchased by a subscription of the members in 1855, for the sum of $1,500, in hopes that the society would be enabled to erect thereon a fireproof building for its use, but up to this time it has not been able to do so. The lots are now valued at $20,000 or more. Several months ago an effort was made by the president of the society to raise enough by subscription to insure the commencement of a building to cost, completed, $50,000; of this amount $14,500 was subscribed, and it is believed that there are liberal and public spirited citizens of our State who will contribute the balance when called on, or provide, by will,for bequests in its aid. Such an edifice would be a perpetual monument to their generosity and public spirit, and would be an inestimable boon to succeeding generations, who will frequent our library in pursuit of knowledge.
1858. Henry H. Sibley.1859. Socrates Nelson.1860. J. E. McKusick.1861. Wm. H. Nobles.1862. Dr. T. R. Potts.1863. Frank Steele.1864. R. M. Richardson.1865. John D. Ludden.1866. Socrates Nelson.1867. Abram Van Voorhes.1868. Henry H. Sibley.1869. Nathaniel McLean.1870. Bartlett Presley.1871. John H. Stevens.1872. George L. Becker.1873. David B. Loomis.1874. Henry M. Rice.1875. Alex. Ramsey.1876. Norman W. Kittson.1877. Charles H. Oakes.1878. Mahlon Black.1879. Charles E. Leonard.1880. Benj. H. Randall.1881. S. P. Folsom.1882. Jacob W. Bass.1883. Benj. W. Brunson.1884. Clement H. Beaulieu.1885. Henry L. Moss.1886. R. W. Johnson.1887. Anson Northrup.1888. David Day.
1858. Henry H. Sibley.1859. Socrates Nelson.1860. J. E. McKusick.1861. Wm. H. Nobles.1862. Dr. T. R. Potts.1863. Frank Steele.1864. R. M. Richardson.1865. John D. Ludden.1866. Socrates Nelson.1867. Abram Van Voorhes.1868. Henry H. Sibley.1869. Nathaniel McLean.1870. Bartlett Presley.1871. John H. Stevens.1872. George L. Becker.1873. David B. Loomis.1874. Henry M. Rice.1875. Alex. Ramsey.1876. Norman W. Kittson.1877. Charles H. Oakes.1878. Mahlon Black.1879. Charles E. Leonard.1880. Benj. H. Randall.1881. S. P. Folsom.1882. Jacob W. Bass.1883. Benj. W. Brunson.1884. Clement H. Beaulieu.1885. Henry L. Moss.1886. R. W. Johnson.1887. Anson Northrup.1888. David Day.
Judge Goodrich was secretary of the Old Settlers Association from 1859 until his death, in 1887.
This association was organized Nov. 5, 1875, at the office of Durant & Wheeler, in the city of Stillwater. Charles E. Leonard was elected president, and David B. Loomis, secretary. The latter has been re-elected and served continuously to the present time. It is a requisite that members shall have been residents in the Northwest prior to 1850.
The following have been presidents of the association, the term of service being limited to one year:
1875. D. B. Loomis.1876. Christopher Carli.1877. W. T. Boutwell.1878. John D. Ludden.1879. Henry L. Moss.1880. Wm. R. Marshall.1881. Daniel Mears.1882. Henry A. Jackman.1883. W. H. C. Folsom.1884. Edward W. Durant.1885. Albert Stimson.1886. Henry N. Setzer.1887. Morton S. Wilkinson.
1875. D. B. Loomis.1876. Christopher Carli.1877. W. T. Boutwell.1878. John D. Ludden.1879. Henry L. Moss.1880. Wm. R. Marshall.1881. Daniel Mears.1882. Henry A. Jackman.1883. W. H. C. Folsom.1884. Edward W. Durant.1885. Albert Stimson.1886. Henry N. Setzer.1887. Morton S. Wilkinson.
The annual meetings are held on or about the middle of September, at Stillwater.
The St. PaulWeekly Pioneer, established by James M. Goodhue as theMinnesota Pioneer, issued its first number April 28, 1849, one day later than the St. PaulRegister, but, unlike that paper, it was printed in the place of publication. In March, 1854, Earl S. Goodrich purchased thePioneer, and on May 1st issued the first number of theDaily Pioneer. On Oct. 31, 1855, theDemocratwas merged in thePioneer, which became thePioneer and Democrat, which name it continued to bear for six years, when it resumed its former name, thePioneer. Nov. 8, 1865, thePioneerwas sold to H. P. Hall and John X. Davidson. July 29, 1866, thePioneerwas sold to Capt. H. L. Carver, C. W. Nash and others. April 22, 1874, thePioneerbecame the property of David Blakely. April 11, 1875, thePioneerandPressconsolidated, and the name was changed to St. PaulPioneer Press, under the management of the Pioneer Press Company, with J. A. Wheelock editor-in-chief. ThePioneer Pressnow embodies, by consolidation, twenty-five distinct newspapers. Its daily issue is about 18,000 copies. The stock company is now officered by J. A. Wheelock, president; F. Driscoll, Sr., vice president and treasurer; F. Driscoll, Jr., secretary. The management is in the hands of J. A. Wheelock, editor-in-chief; F. A. Carle, managing editor; F. Driscoll, business manager; A. W. Dunn, city editor.
The St. PaulGlobewas established Jan. 15, 1878, by H. P. Hall, and conducted as an individual enterprise until July 1, 1881, when it was made into a stock company with a capital of $150,000. Its first officers were: President, H. H. Sibley; vice president, P. H. Kelly; treasurer, Albert Scheffer; secretary, Ansel Oppenheim; general manager, H. P. Hall. This company, which was called the St. Paul Globe Printing Company, was sold to a new company, styled the St. Paul Globe Publishing Company, Feb. 1, 1885. The first officers of that company were: President, N. W. Kittson; vice president, P. H. Kelly; treasurer, Albert Scheffer; secretary and general manager, Lewis Baker. All the officers of each company were resident in St. Paul. TheGlobepublishes daily and weekly editions.
The St. PaulDispatchwas founded by H. P. Hall and David Ramaley, Feb. 29, 1868. It has passed through many ownerships. The company publish a weekly and evening daily paper.
The St. PaulDaily Timeswas established in 1854, by T. M. Newson, M. J. Clum and J. B. H. Mitchell. In 1869 it was merged into the St. PaulPress.
TheRegister,ChronicleandDemocratwere published in territorial days, and have been discontinued.
Die Volkszeitung, the first German paper of St. Paul, was established in 1857. Another German paper was subsequently established, and the two were consolidated, Sept. 6, 1877, asDie Volkszeitung. It issues daily and weekly editions. Chas. H. Lineau is general manager, A. Wolff, editor-in-chief; C. Newhausen, city editor, and Louis Hern, literary editor.
TheNorthwest Magazineis a monthly journal, devoted to the interests of the Northwest. It was established in 1883. E. V. Smalley is the editor.
A. O. U. W. Guide, weekly Guide Publishing Company, established 1883.
Pythian Advocate, monthly, Pythian Company, established 1884.
Northwestern Chronicle, weekly (Catholic), Northwestern Publishing Company, established 1866.
Herald, weekly, Chantler & Nichols, established 1883.
Der Wanderer(German), weekly, Wanderer Publishing Company, established 1867.
Familien Zeitung(German), weekly, Engel-Dreis Company, established 1885.
Le Canadien(French), weekly, E. R. Dufresne, L. N. Dixon, established 1877.
Nordvesten(Scandinavian), weekly, C. H. Brandt, established 1880.
Skaffaren(Swedish Lutheran), weekly, J. E. Osborn, established 1877.
Northwestern Lancet, semi-monthly, C. B. Witherle, established 1882.
Northwest Reporter(legal), weekly, West Publishing Company, established 1881.
Saturday Evening News, weekly, Lewis & Bole, established 1883.
Western Appeal, weekly, F. D. Parker, established 1885.
Home Gazette, monthly, S. Sherin, established 1883.
St. PaulDaily Evening News, established 1888.
St. PaulLabor Echo, Eric Olson, established 1884.
White BearLake Breeze, A. H. S. Perkins, established 1879.
The first paper established in Hennepin county as now bounded was the St. AnthonyExpress, E. Tyler, publisher, Isaac Atwater, editor. The first number was issued May 31, 1857. The MinneapolisDemocratwas established in 1854. Neither of these papers is to be found in the directory.
Evening Journal, daily, D. B. Blakely, established 1887.
Evening Mercury, daily, E. Ferwald, established 1885.
MinneapolisGazette, daily, W. Bickley, established 1870.
MinneapolisTribune, daily, Will E. Haskell, Tribune Publishing Company, established 1867.
Commercial Bulletin, weekly, Commercial Publishing Company, established 1883.
MinneapolisLife, weekly, W. E. Atkins, established in 1885.
Saturday Evening Spectator, weekly, C. H. Dubois, established 1879.
Temperance Review, weekly, L. Bixby, established 1865.
Budstikken(Norwegian), Johann E. Gidde, established 1873.
Folkebladt(Norwegian), weekly, Folkebladt Publishing Company, established 1878.
Svenska Posten(Swedish), weekly, Svenska-American Publishing Company, established 1885.
Svenska Tidning(Swedish), weekly, Svenska Publishing Company, established 1883.
Svenska Kistna Herolden, weekly, Svenska Herolden Publishing Company, established 1885.
Herold(German), weekly, German Press Association, established 1884.
Freie Presse(German), weekly, F. Doerr, established 1869.
Le Progres(French), weekly, J. B. A. Paradis, established 1884.
Echo De L'Ouest(French), weekly, A. F. Carrier, established 1883.
Free Baptist, weekly, A. A. Smith, established 1882.
Northwestern Standard, weekly, Ed. O'Brien, established 1885.
Northwestern Presbyterian, weekly, Edgar A. Gay, established 1884.
Our Church(Unitarian), semi-monthly, Rev. L. D. Boynton, established 1885.
Farm, Stock and Home Journal, monthly, Farm, Stock and Home Company, established 1884.
Mississippi Valley Lumberman, weekly, Platt B. Walker, established 1876.
Northwestern Miller, weekly, C. M. Palmer, established 1873.
Northwestern Trade, bi-weekly, E. E. Haynes, established 1883.
Homestead, monthly, Homestead Publishing Company, established 1885.
Housekeeper, monthly, Buckeye Publishing Company, established 1878.
Medical Mirror, monthly, N. M. Cook, M.D., established 1881.
Northwestern Architect, monthly, Bruce & Brundage, established 1884.
Pilgrim(Congregational), monthly, Pilgrim Publishing Company, established 1881.
Poultry and Farm Journal, monthly, I. I. Bachellor, established 1877.
Real Estate Review, monthly, C. H. Dubois & Co., established 1883.
Temperance Educator, monthly, L. Bigby, established 1882.
To-Day(Evangelical), Geo. F. Wells, A. S. Edwards, established 1880.
Wood and Iron, monthly, Wood and Iron Publishing Company, established 1880.
Methodist Herald, weekly, R. H. Young, established 1887.
MinnetonkaMirror, weekly, W. H. Mitchell, established 1885.
Northwestern Tourist, weekly, A. S. Dimond & Son, established 1876.
The first newspaper published in Washington county was the St. CroixUnion, established Oct. 8, 1854, in Stillwater. It wascontinued under the management of Cable & Easton one year, when F. S. Cable sold out to Milton H. Abbott. Soon after Mr. Abbott bought out the interest of M. S. Easton. The paper went down in the crash of 1857.
The StillwaterMessengermade its appearance under the management of A. T. Van Voorhes, Sept. 11, 1856. It changed ownership several times, and in 1871 Seward & Taylor, the present owners, came into possession.
The StillwaterDemocratsucceeded the defunctUnionin 1858. L. F. Spaulding and C. P. Lane became the editors and proprietors. It was discontinued in 1861.
A. B. Easton and J. N. Castle established the StillwaterGazette, the first number appearing Aug. 6, 1870. This paper was successful from the first, and with but few changes in proprietorship is published at the present day as a daily and weekly by Clewell & Easton.
The StillwaterLumbermanwas established April 9, 1875, by Ed. H. Folsom. It afterward passed into the hands of a stock company, and was discontinued in 1884.
The StillwaterPost, a German paper, was established by W. P. Shilling & Co. Aug. 26, 1876. Two years later it passed into the hands of Wm. Schermuly, and in 1880 it was taken charge of by Julius Duel, who is succeeded by F. C. Neumeier.
Taylor's FallsReporter, F. H. Pratt, established February, 1860; in 1862 the name was changed to Taylor's FallsMonitor; in 1883 the name was again changed to Taylor's FallsJournal; present editor, Ed. H. Folsom.
Rush CityPos., Hial P. Robie, established in 1875.
Chisago CountyTimes, Taylor's Falls, Rowe & Walker, established April 19, 1888.
Pine County Pioneer, weekly, Ed. C. Gottry, established 1885.
Pine Knot, weekly, Dr. H. B. Allen, established 1884.
Industrial Vidette, established 1887.
Tribune, weekly and daily, R. C. Mitchell, established 1881.
Lake Superior News, weekly, Wm. S. Woodbridge, established 1878.
DuluthDaily News, established 1885.
DuluthSkandinav, Wesenbergad Hurst, established 1887.
Paragrapher, established 1887.
Volksfreund, Dworsehak & Son, established 1886.
Evening Journal, established 1887.
TowerPress, C. T. Bingham, established 1885.
Iron Post, A. De Lacy Wood, established 1887.
AitkinAge, weekly, E. F. Barrett, established 1883.
BrainerdDispatch, weekly, Ingersoll & Willard, established 1881.
BrainerdJournal, weekly, H. C. Stivers, established 1882.
Northwestern Tribune, weekly, Halsted & Pennell, 1872.
TheNews, daily, established 1887.
MoraTimes, weekly, R. W. Safford, established 1882.
PrincetonUnion, weekly, R. C. Dunn, established 1876.
Little FallsSun, weekly, Little Falls Publishing Company, Cyrus D. Auyer, editor, established 1882.
Little FallsTranscript, weekly, W. M. Fuller, established 1877.
Morrison County Democrat, weekly, Cyrus D. Auyer, established 1886.
RoyaltonRecord, weekly, changed name to RoyaltonBanner, A. W. Swanson, editor, established 1884.
The first newspaper in Morrison county was theNorthern Herald, established in Little Falls, 1856, suspended in 1858. The Little FallsCourierwas established later, but discontinued and theTranscripttook its place.
Herald and Record, weekly, C. F. Hendryx, established 1867.
Democrat, weekly, Barnum and Henshaw, established 1885.
Tribune, weekly, W. C. Brower, established 1873.
Der Nordstern(German), weekly, Rosenberger & Remer, established 1874.
Journal-Press, weekly; W. Mitchell, established 1857.
Times, weekly, C. F. MeDonald, established 1861.
The first paper in St. Cloud, and in Stearns county, was styled theMinnesota Advertiser. The first number appeared Jan. 1, 1857, H. Cowles, editor, and James Mowatt, publisher. Mrs. Jane G. Swisshelm succeeded to the proprietorship in December, 1857, and changed the name to the St. CloudVisitor, and edited it till the destruction of her press and material by a mob, March 24, 1858. The paper reappeared under new auspices and with the name changed to theDemocrat. In 1866 W. B. Mitchell changed the name to theJournal. In 1876 he purchased thePressand consolidated it under the name ofJournal-Press.
The St. CloudUnionwas established in 1861, by C. C. Andrews, afterward a general in the Union Army and minister to Sweden and Norway. In 1862 Mr. Wood purchased the paper, but sold it in 1863 to Spafford & Simonton, who sold it in 1864 to R. C. Moore, who published it as the St. CloudTimes. In 1875 it was purchased by the present owner, C. F. McDonald.
TheNordsternwas originally established by Peter E. Kaiser and Peter Brieke and has now a circulation of 25,000 copies.
Sherburne County Star News, weekly, A. N. Dare, established 1875.
A. J. Clark started the SherburneWeeklyin 1867, and published it one year, when John W. Thompson started the Elk RiverNews. TheSherburne County Starwas established in 1875, and consolidated with theNewsin 1861.
Isanti County Press, weekly, C. W. Van Wormer, established 1874.
WatabReveille, weekly, J. W. Chasanack, editor, established 1850.
Free Press, weekly, A. De Lacy Wood, established 1885.
In 1854 Jeremiah Russell and George W. Benedict started the Sauk RapidsFrontiersman, and continued the publication three years, when theNew Eramade its appearance, published by W. H. Wood assisted by G. W. Benedict. TheErawas afterward merged in the St. CloudTimes. In 1868 G. W. Benedict established the Sauk RiverSentinelwhich, with a few changes, has continued to the present time.
Anoka County Union, weekly, Granville S. Pease, established 1865.
Anoka County Herald, weekly, Alvah Eastman, established. 1865.
Dakota County Tribune, weekly, C. P. Carpenter, established 1884.
HastingsNews, daily, D. F. Chamberlain, established 1881.
HastingsBanner, weekly, E. D. Barker, established 1865.
HastingsGazette, weekly, Irving Todd, established 1857.
HastingsBugle Call, monthly, Chamberlain & Smith, established 1886.
Beacon, weekly, S. S. Lewis, established 1876.
Leader, weekly, U. Curtis, established 1885.
Journal, weekly, Holmes & Ingalls, established 1882.
Red WingRepublican, daily, Red Wing Publishing Company, established 1885.
Red WingAdvance Sun, weekly, Red Wing Publishing Company, established 1884.
Red WingArgus, weekly, C. L. Davis, established 1864.
Independent, weekly, E. A. Mitchell, established 1875.
News, weekly, Thompson & Bradford, established 1877.
Tribune, weekly, M. Schrane, established 1877.
News, weekly, Ed. A. Paradis, established 1874.
Wabasha County Herald, weekly, O. F. Collier &.Co., established 1857.
Wabasha County Post, weekly, John P. W. Weller, established 1885.
St. CharlesUnion, weekly, J. S. Whitten, established 1877.
WinonaRepublican, daily and weekly, Sinclair Publishing Company, established 1855.
Adler, weekly, Adler Publishing Company, established 1873.
Herald, weekly, Boynton & Metcalf, established 1869.
Westlicher Herald, weekly, Joseph Leicht, established 1881.
Wiarus(Polish), weekly, Wiarus Publishing Company, established 1885.
Pierce County Herald, weekly, Case & Doolittle, established 1868.
Ariel, weekly, John M. Pryse, established 1884.
Pierce County Plaindealer, weekly, E. H. Ives, established 1874.
Journal, weekly, S. B. Merrick. W. S. Fowler, established 1874.
The first paper named in Prescott was theParaclete, published by C. E. Young, Feb. 14, 1854. The name was changed in 1855 to theTranscript. In 1857 theNorthwestern Democratwas issued by Lusk, Wise & Bailey. In 1861 Lute A. Taylor moved the River FallsJournalto Prescott, changing the name to PrescottJournal. In 1868 Flint & Webber purchased theJournal. In 1872, after the fire, the River FallsJournalwas revived at River Falls by A. Morse; the office and material were burned. In 1873 M. B. Kimball issued the PrescottClarionand changed the name toPierce County Plaindealer. In 1876 E. H. Ives became editor and proprietor.
Bulletin, weekly, Ferd. Peachman, established 1879.
Hammond Review, weekly, —— Frost, established 1886.
Star and Times, weekly, Taylor & Price, established 1855.
True Republican, weekly, Cline & Cogswell, established 1871.
St. Croix Republican, weekly, Abe C. Van Meter, established 1869.
TheVoice, weekly, E. P. Huntington, established 1886.
TheSt. Croix Banner, the first paper in the St. Croix valley, was issued Jan. 20, 1850, by Col. and Mrs. James Hughes. It was printed in thePioneeroffice, St. Paul. Saxton & Johnson in the same year commenced publishing theSt. Croix Enquirer. These papers were short-lived. In 1853 U. B. Shaver started the HudsonJournal, afterward edited by Col. Hughes as the HudsonRepublican. The office was destroyed by fire and the paper discontinued in 1854. TheStarwas established by Dr. Otis Hoyt in 1855, and in the same year U. B. Shaver established theChronicle. In 1860 these two papers were purchased by Horace A. Taylor, and consolidated as theStar and Times.
In 1856 Col. Hughes issued theShield and Banner, which was succeeded by a campaign paper called thePathfinder. The HudsonDemocratwas established in 1864 by E. O. Jones and discontinued in 1875. TheTrue Republicanwas established by M. A. Fulton in 1875, and sold to the present owners in 1886.
Clear LakeHerald, weekly, A. T. Churchill, established 1884.
North Wisconsin News, weekly, Johnson E. Russell.
Polk County Press, weekly, Charles E. Mears, established 1860.
St. Croix Valley Standard, weekly, George F. Ely, established 1885.
TheSt. Croixianwas first established at St. Croix in 1860 by John D. Reymert and Junius Bartlett. S. S. Fifield bought the paper in 1861, and removed it to Osceola, changing the name toPolk County Press. In 1872 C. F. Meara succeeded to the ownership. In 1874 C. C. Jordan established theNew Eraat Osceola, but soon discontinued it. TheDalles of the St. Croixwas established at St. Croix Falls in 1881 by D. A. Caneday, and discontinued in 1884. ThePolk County Newswas established at St. Croix Falls in 1885 by George H. Ely, who was succeeded by L. A. Ingersoll, who changed the name toSt. Croix Valley Standard.
Barron County Shield, weekly, Charles S. Taylor, established 1876.
Alert, weekly, Walter Speed, established 1882.
Advocate, weekly, Cumberland Publishing Company, established 1885.
Barron County Chronotype, weekly, P. H. Swift, editor, established 1874.
Times, weekly, Times Publishing Company, established 1883.
North Wisconsin News, weekly, E. O. Johnson, established 1878.
Burnett County Sentinel, weekly, W. A. Talboy, established 1875.
AshlandPress, weekly and daily, Sam S. Fifield, established 1872.
AshlandNews, weekly, John S. Saul, established 1885.
GliddenPioneer, weekly, R. M. Williams, F. A. Healy, established 1884.
Montreal River Miner, weekly, Gowdey & Goodale, established 1885.
BayfieldPress, weekly, Currie G. Bell, established 1868.
WashburnBee, weekly, Allan T. Williams, established 1885.
Itemizer, weekly, Bareger Brothers, established 1884.
SuperiorChronicle, John C. Wise, established 185-.
SuperiorTimes, Bardon Brothers, established 1870.
Inter Ocean, weekly and daily, Street & Co., established 1881.
SuperiorSentinel, M. B. Kimball, established 1888.
Sunday Morning Call, established 1887.
Shell LakeWatchman, William Irle, established 1882.
Gen. Winfield Scott, when a young man, was stationed at Fort Snelling, at that day perhaps the remotest outpost of the UnitedStates. When the Black Hawk War was inaugurated some militia from Illinois proffered their services to aid in conquering the savages. With a view to mustering them into the service of the United States two lieutenants were sent by Scott to the then village of Dixon. One of these was a very fascinating, good-looking, easy-mannered, affable, and fluent young gentleman. The other equally pleasant, but an exceedingly modest young man. On the morning when the mustering in was to take place a tall, gawky, slab-sided, homely young man, dressed in a suit of home-made blue jeans, presented himself to the two lieutenants as the captain of the recruits, and was duly sworn in. This was he who afterward became the president of the United States—the lamented Lincoln. One of the lieutenants, the modest youth, was he who fired the first gun from Sumter, Maj. Anderson. The other, and he who administered the oath, was in after years president of the southern confederacy, Jefferson Davis.
We have gleaned from the newspapers the particulars of a love romance in which Jefferson Davis was the central figure.
It was down at old Fort Crawford, whose ruins are still to be seen just south of Prairie du Chien. It was away back in 1834, when ex-President Zachariah Taylor, then a colonel in the regular army, was commandant of the post. Jeff. Davis, who was then a young lieutenant, was assigned to duty under Col. Taylor, and fell in love with his commander's beautiful daughter. The love making between the young people was the most natural thing in the world under the circumstances, but for some reason Col. Taylor had taken the most intense dislike to the young lieutenant and frowned upon his suit. In order to prevent his daughter from marrying Davis the grim old warrior sent her to a convent at Baton Rouge.
Some months afterward the young lieutenant appeared before Col. Taylor with a document which required his signature. It was an order from Gen. Wayne granting a furlough to Davis. Old Zach. understood human nature well enough to know that when young Davis got his leave of absence he would take a bee line for Baton Rouge, so he immediately dispatched his swiftest messenger to bring his daughter home by the most circuitous route, and thus thwart the young officer, who he knew would behurrying to meet her. When Davis returned to Fort Crawford the coldness between himself and his old commander grew more frigid, while the young woman pined away in the seclusion of a log hut, where her father had established his headquarters, until at last she was released from her imprisonment by her lover, who took her from her father's roof by stealth and in the night, and taking her across the river to a spot where a priest was in waiting, they were made man and wife.
George Green, an old river man, now eighty years old, who still lives at Prairie du Chien, is the person who rowed them over the river that night. He says that Davis took the young woman from an upper window in the log cabin and by the assistance of the chaplain was able to get her beyond the picket lines unobserved. Green was at the river bank in waiting with a canoe and took them to the spot where the marriage ceremony was performed. He says the young lady cried a good deal during the voyage across the river, but she leaned her head on the young lieutenant's bosom in a way that assured him that she was not altogether unhappy. Soon after the marriage a steamboat from St. Paul came down the river and by a preconcerted arrangement halted, took the bridal couple on board and passed on down the Mississippi to Jeff. Davis' home in the South.
Gen. Taylor never did forgive Davis for marrying his daughter. He never spoke to him from that time until the evening after the close of the battle of Buena Vista. Jeff. Davis had undoubtedly won the battle with his Mississippi Rifles, and as he lay wounded in his tent that night Gen. Taylor walked in, extended his hand in friendly greeting and thanked him for his gallant services. But there was no further attempt at reconciliation after that. Mrs. Davis did not live long, and the lady who now presides over Beauvoir is Mr. Davis' second wife. She was a Miss Howell, of Georgia.
The following incident connected with the famous Dred Scott case, taken from a St. Paul paper of 1887, may prove of interest to the present generation of readers, few of whom are aware that the principal personage in the case was a resident of Fort Snelling, or more exactly speaking, the chattel of an American officer at that place:
In the year 1839 the Fifth United States Infantry was stationed on the Upper Mississippi and Wisconsin rivers, and, although Fort Crawford (Prarie du Chien) was their headquarters, Fort Snelling was the most important, it being the only military post north of Prairie du Chien, between Lake Superior and the Pacific ocean, and far from the frontier, as the nearest settlement was several hundred miles away.
During the season of open water the post was reached by boats, and in the winter by pony or dog trains, but in the spring before the river was free of floating ice and in the fall before it was frozen, the inhabitants were almost cut off from civilization, as the place was considered inaccessible, by all but the hardy voyageur and the postman, who brought the mail on his back twice a month from Prairie du Chien. Fort Snelling was the only post office in what is now Minnesota, Dakota and Montana.
It was seldom that a stranger made his appearance after the close of navigation, for the timid did not venture so far from the comforts of life. During the winter the weather was severe, the houses were not so comfortable as now, storm windows and furnaces were unthought of, and stoves were considered luxuries.
It happened that on a cold, dreary day in the early winter the quartermaster was distributing stoves, but did not have more than enough to supply the officers and the married men of the command, and not all of the latter. The surgeon, Dr. Emerson, a giant in body, applied for one for his slave, Dred Scott, but was told by Lieut. McPhail, the quartermaster, who was a man under size, that the darkey would have to wait until the others were supplied, and it was doubtful if there were enough for all. The doctor became very much excited and insinuated that McPhail was lying, whereupon the latter hit the doctor between the eyes, breaking his spectacles and bruising his nose. Emerson, very much infuriated, rushed to his quarters, loaded a pair of huge flintlock pistols, returned to McPhail, who was unarmed, and without ceremony presented them to the head of the little quartermaster. He, not liking their looks, sought safety in flight, and with a speed that showed a good condition of body ran across the parade ground, followed by the doctor. As they neared McPhail's company quarters a friend of his, Lieut. Whitall, and a sergeant, seized firearms and prepared to give their assistance if it wasneeded. The commanding officer, Maj. Plympton, armed with a cane, ran after the doctor, and upon overtaking him put him under arrest. By this time the occupants of all the quarters had gathered upon the scene, too excited to feel the cold or think of stoves, and two parties were quickly formed. The smaller party consisted of the young men, who, anxious for a fight, insisted that by running McPhail had brought disgrace upon himself which could be wiped out only by blood. The other and influential side was composed of men with families, who knew that in case of illness no other physician could be had except from Prairie du Chien, and the roads were such that it might be impossible to get one at all; therefore they urged peace, and after several days of excitement they were able to unfurl the flag of triumph.
The terms of settlement between the belligerents were not made known, and those who had hoped for a fight felt that the secrecy added largely to their already heavy disappointment; but the men of peace wore an expression of relief when they realized that if ill, their victory would enable them to obtain the immediate services of the doctor, and that there would not be a repetition of the duel which had been fought there many years before, the first and last duel ever fought in Minnesota. Although peace was declared, bitter feelings which had risen during the strife still lingered in the heads of all but Dred Scott, the innocent cause of the trouble, who for the first time in his life became at all conspicuous. Shortly after, however, his name was as well known, and oftener heard in social, military and political circles than any other, not only in his own country, but abroad. He left Fort Snelling with Dr. Emerson, and was afterward in Missouri, where he was one day whipped, as he had often been before. But this proved to be the last time the poor fellow intended submitting as a slave, for immediately after a suit was commenced for assault and battery, claiming that as he had been in a free territory he was a free man. His master dying, his widow and daughter defended the suit, which was decided in their favor two days after the inauguration of President Buchanan, and Dred Scott was remanded to slavery. This was considered a great victory for the South, but in reality was not, for the civilized world became aroused in behalf of freedom, and public opinion, the higher law, was invoked. Civil war soon followed; slavery was abolished, and Dred Scott made free. It was half acentury ago that this simple-minded negro lived in slavery in Hennepin, the historic county of Minnesota.
No history of the early days would be complete without mention of the celebrated and picturesquely homely squaw known as Old Betz and the tribe to which she belonged. The camp of the latter may still be seen at South St. Paul to the number of three or four tepees. The Indians are the descendants of the warriors of Little Crow. They live in canvas tepees of primitive style, but with the exception of moccasins and a few Indian trinkets they have conformed somewhat to the costumes of the civilized people around them.
The Indians living in this vicinity, says A. L. Larpenteur in thePioneer Press, represent a remnant of the Minnesota Sioux who were not taken to the reservation after the massacre of 1861. There may be nearly a score of families in all, including the inhabitants of the little Indian village at South St. Paul, the aboriginal residents at Mendota, and some red men living near Newport. These are mostly descendants of the members of Little Crow's band. Three or four families have descended from the famous old squaw known as "Old Betz," who died at an advanced age only two years ago. At least two of old Betz's daughters are living. They are very large, fleshy squaws, and are frequently seen on the streets of St. Paul. When you catch sight of a big squaw with a heavy pack slung over her shoulders, seated in some doorway down street panting for breath, you may make up your mind that it is one of Old Betz's daughters—either Doo-to-win (Scarlet Female) or Pa-zen-ta-win (Medicine Woman); for such are their names.
They obtain a livelihood suitable to their lingering aboriginal tastes and their condition of life, by selling moccasins, ginseng and wild flowers in their season, and the skins of animals which they hunt or trap. These skins are chiefly muskrat skins. They bring several hundred to market in the course of the season. Then the squaws do the begging, and the great white packs which these dusky females carry upon their backs as they trudge along the streets of the city are filled with specked fruit, tainted chickens and meat, dried up cranberries and other unsalable stuff that the commission men of the city have kindly bestowedupon them. An Indian is not so particular about what he eats as a white person. When meat is tainted he boils it until he gets all the taint out. What remains serves as savory sauce for the meat. The Indians are intelligent. They don't have much to say to strangers, but among themselves they are quite sociable, and sit together by the hour smoking pipes and recounting traditions and incidents. They are very fond of story telling. They also discuss topics of interest with a freedom and intelligence worthy of a modern white man's debating society. "I have sat with them in their lodges by the hour," says Mr. Larpenteur, "and have been vastly entertained by their anecdotes and discussions." So it appears that the Indians hereabout are not so glum and reticent as red men in general are credited with being.
There are a great many people in St. Paul who remember Old Betz, and the stories that were told in relation to her, quite well. She was said to be one hundred and twenty years old when she died, and, as there was no evidence to the contrary, and she certainly bore the mark of great age, this estimate of her years was generally accepted. Mr. Larpenteur has reason for thinking that her age has been very much exaggerated. Old Betz told him one day, a short time before her death, in a confidential way, that when soldiers first came to Fort Snelling she was still in her teens. That was in 1819, and, therefore, Old Betz could not have been over eighty-eight when she died.