S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.Bethlem.
S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.Bethlem.
S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.Bethlem.
S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.London Bridge.
S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.London Bridge.
S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.London Bridge.
This building upon the whole shews more the good intentions, than the good taste of the founders of this charity, the style of architecture being very improper for an hospital for madmen. Simplicity and regularity was all that should have been aimed at, and if there was a necessity for pilasters, those of the Tuscan order would have suited the design much better than Corinthian; but without regarding the application, the middle pavilion, which is elegant, should have certainly been larger and more principal. The entrance is grand, and the figures on the piers, one representing raving, and the other melancholy madness, are finely expressed, and do honour to their author Mr. Cibber, father of the late Poet Laureat. Since the first erecting of this edifice, two wings have been added, in order to contain a number of incurables. And before this fabric is a handsome wall 680 feet in length, which, like the structure itself, is built with brick and stone. It incloses a range of gardens neatly adorned with walks of broad stone, grass plats and trees, wherein those of the lunatics who are well enough to be suffered to go about, are allowed to walk there and enjoy the benefit of the fresh air. In the middle of this wall is a large pair of fine iron gates, and by them a small entrance for the admission of those who come out of curiosity to visit this hospital; on each side towards the top of these gates are placed the two statues, in the manner represented in the print.
The expence of erecting this edifice, besides that of building the wings, amounted to near 17,000l.
The inside chiefly consists of two galleries one over the other, which cross the wings, and are 193 yards long, thirteen feet high, and sixteen feet broad; without including the cells for the patients, which are twelve feet deep. These galleries are divided in the middle by two iron grates, by which means all the men are placed at one end of the house, and all the women at the other, and in each gallery servants lie, to be ready at hand on all occasions. In the middle of the upper gallery is a large spacious room, where the Governors, and, in the lower, where the weekly Committee meet, and the Physician prescribes for the patients; besides, above there are convenient apartments for the steward of the house, the porter, matron, nurse and servants; and below stairs all necessary offices for keeping and dressing the provisions; for washing, and other necessary offices belonging to so large a family; and also a bathing place for the patients, so contrived, as to be an hot or cold bath, as occasion requires.
S. Wale delin.C. Grignion sc.Figures on Bethlem Gate
S. Wale delin.C. Grignion sc.Figures on Bethlem Gate
S. Wale delin.C. Grignion sc.Figures on Bethlem Gate
There are generally above 200 lunatics maintained in this hospital, each of whom has a small room or cell to himself, where he is locked up on nights, and in this room is a place for a bed; but where the patients are so senseless as not to be fit to make use of one, they are every day provided with fresh clean straw. Those are judged the fittest objects that are raving and furious, and yet capable of cure.
As to the method of admitting them, they are brought on Saturday, when the Committee meets, to be viewed by them and the Physician; and if a person be judged a fit object, a warrant is drawn up for his admission by the clerk of the hospital, to be signed by the President, or, in his absence, by the Treasurer. Those who put in the patient are obliged to give a bond, signed by two persons, to take him away when discharged, or if he dies, to be at the expence of burying him. Their friends, who put them in, are obliged to provide them with cloaths; but there is a wardrobe from whence they are supplied, when neglected by those friends: for though, when raving and furious, they suffer but little from the weather; yet in their intervals, they frequently contract other distempers, care of which is also taken, as well as of their lunacy, whether those distempers be external or internal; and though formerly every patient paid 5s.a week, they now not only pay nothing, but after their recovery and leaving the hospital, are furnished with medicines to prevent a relapse. When a patient is cured, he is called before a Committee of the Governors and Physicians, who examine him, and being found fit to be discharged, the Physician gives a certificate to that purpose, and then the steward of the house takes care to have him delivered to his friends.
The hospitals of Bethlem and Bridewell being made one corporation, they have the same President, Treasurer, Governors, Clerk, Physician, Surgeon, and Apothecary; yet each hospital has its proper steward and inferior officers, and a particular committee is chosen out of the Governors for each. Out of that appointed for Bethlem, there are six who meet every Saturday, to examine the steward’s account of expences for the preceding week, and to sign it after it is approved; they also view the provisions, examine the patients that are to be received or discharged, and have the direction of other affairs belonging to this hospital.
Bethnal Green, a village near Mile End, and lately one of the hamlets of Stepney, from which parish it was separated by an act of parliament in the 13th year of his present Majesty’s reign. The old Roman way from London led thro’ this hamlet, and joining the military way from the west, passed with it to Lea Ferry at Old Ford. Within this hamlet, Bonner, Bishop of London, had a palace, and the Trinity House have a hospital for twenty-eight decayed seamen, who have been masters of ships or pilots, or their widows. SeeTrinity Hospital.
The church built pursuant to the above act, is placed at the north east corner of Hare street, Spitalfields, and is a neat, commodious edifice, built with brick coped and coined with freestone; and the tower, which is not high, is of the same materials. It is remarkable, that though the village of itself is small, yet as part of Spitalfields anciently belonged to that hamlet, this parish contains 1800 houses, and the parishioners are computed to amount to above 15000.
Bett’salley, Anchor street.†
Bett’sstreet. 1. By Knockfergus.† 2. Ratcliff Highway.†
Bevislane, Duke’s place.
Bevis Marks, St. Mary Ax. Here was once a very large house with several courts and gardens, which belonging to the Abbot of Bury in Suffolk, was called Bury’s Marks, corruptly Bevis Marks. This house being demolished, the ground has many houses built upon it, and among the rest a synagogue of Jews.Stow.
Bevis Marks School, was founded in the in the year 1731, by Isaac de Costa Villa Real, a Portuguese Jew, who also endowed it with the annual sum of 80l.for cloathing and educating twenty Jew girls of his nation.
Bewley’srents, Holiwell court.†
Bigg’salley, Thrall street, Spitalfields.†
Bigg’sorBett’srents, Rosemary lane, Tower hill.
Billalley, Billiter lane.
Billetyard, Billiter lane.
Billingsgate, a great fish market in Thames street; which is only a large water-gate, port, or harbour, for small vessels, laden with fish, oranges, lemons, Spanish onions, and in summer, with Kentish cherries; here the Gravesend boats wait to take in their fare; and here the woodmongers and coalmen meet at about eight or nine o’clock every morning, this being a kind of exchange for those concerned in the coal trade.
Billingsgate is however most famous for being the greatest fish market in England, and the only port for fish in London, which has occasioned several acts of parliament, to prevent the fishmongers monopolizing that considerable article of food. By these acts it is made lawful for any person to buy fish in that market, and to sell it again in any other market or place in the city of London, or elsewhere, by retail; but no fishmonger, or other person, is to engross or buy more than shall be for his own sale or use, on pain of forfeiting 20l.for every such offence, and no fishmonger, or other person, is to expose to sale any fish at Billingsgate by retail that was before bought in the same market.
Billingsgatedock, Thames street.
Billingsgateward, is situated on the side of the Thames, and is therefore bounded by that river on the south; as it is on the east by Tower street ward, on the west by Bridge ward, and on the north by Langbourn ward. It contains a part of Thames street, and Little Eastcheap, which lie in the same direction, and those leading from one of those streets to the other, as St. Mary at hill, Love lane, Botolph’s lane, Pudding lane, and on the other side of Little Eastcheap, a considerable part of Rood lane, and Philpot lane. The most remarkable buildings are the churches of St. Mary at hill, St. Margaret Pattens, and St. George, Botolph lane; Butchers hall, and the King’s weigh-house.
This ward is governed by an Alderman, and ten Common Council men, one of whom is Deputy, eleven constables, six scavengers, fourteen wardmote inquestmen, and a beadle.
The jurymen returned by the wardmote inquest, serve as jurors in the courts of Guildhall in the month of May.
Billiterlane, Leadenhall street. It was anciently called Belzeter’s lane, from its first builder and owner, which was at length corrupted to Billiter lane.Maitland.
Billitersquare, Billiter lane.
Bilton’salley, Freeman’s lane, Horselydown.†
Bingle’slane, Poplar.†
Binham’syard, near St. James’s square.†
Birchinlane, Cornhill. Stow observes that it was anciently called Birchover’s lane, from Birchover, the first builder and owner, and that this name was corrupted to Birchin lane.
Bird’salley, Fashion street.†
Bird’scourt, Philip lane.†
Bird’sstreet, 1. Brook’s street.† 2. Green Bank, Wapping.† 3. Orchard street.†
Bird’swharf, White Friars stairs.†
Bird’syard, Chick lane, Smithfield.†
Bird Cagealley. 1. Anchor street.* 2. In the Borough.* 3. St. Margaret’s Hill, Southwark.*
Birdcatchersalley, Whitechapel.
Bird in handalley, Cheapside.*
Bishop’scourt. 1. Ailsbury street. 2. Brook’s street. 3. Chancery lane, from the Bishop of Chichester’s house near that place. 4. Coleman street. 5. Durham yard in the Strand. 6. Fore street. 7. Gray’s Inn lane. 8. Little Old Bailey. 9. Lothbury. 10. Old Soho. 11. Old street.
Bishop’syard, Charles street, Grosvenor square.
Bishopsgate, is situated 1440 feet north west of Aldgate. Mr. Strype imagines that it was erected by Erkenwald Bishop of London about the year 675, a conjecture founded only on the effigies of two Bishops wherewith this gate was formerly adorned, and from which it might take its name: but it is probable that it was not erected so early, since Mr. Stow could not find it mentioned before the year 1210.
In the reign of King Henry III. the Anseatic company residing in this city, in consideration of several privileges granted them, obliged themselves and their successors, not only to keep this gate in repair, but to defend it, whenever it should be attacked by an enemy: and by this company it was rebuilt in a beautiful manner in the year 1479. On the south side over the gateway, was placed a stone image of a Bishop with a mitre on his head; he had a long beard, eyes sunk, and an old mortified face, and was supposed to present St. Erkenwald. On the north side was another Bishop with a smooth face, reaching out his right hand to bestow his benedictions, and holding a crosier in his left, who is thought to have been the courtly Bishop William the Norman: this last was accompanied by two other figures in stone, supposed to be King Alfred, and his son Eldred Earl of Mercia. The present structure is a plain neat edifice erected in 1735. On the top over the gateway, which is very lofty, is the city arms supported by dragons; and on each side of the gate is a postern for the convenience of foot passengers.
Bishopsgatestreetextends from Cornhill, thro’ the gate, to Norton Falgate, that part between the gate and Cornhill being called Bishopsgate street within, and all without the gate, Bishopsgate street without.
Bishopsgateward, which takes its name from the gate, that stands almost in its center, is bounded on the south by Langbourn ward; on the west by Broad street ward; and Moorfields on the east by Aldgate ward, Portsoken ward, and part of the Tower liberty; and on the north by Shoreditch: thus this ward extends from the bars near Spital square, on both sides of the way, (including near half of Houndsditch) as far as the pump at the corner of St. Martin’s Outwich; and winds by the west corner of Leadenhall, down Gracechurch street, to the south west corner of Fenchurch street. The principal places in this ward are, the parish churches of St. Botolph without Bishopsgate, St. Ethelburga’s, and Great St. Helen’s; Leatherfellers hall, Gresham college, and the London Workhouse.
This ward is under the government of an Alderman and two Deputies, one within, and the other without the gate, six Common Council men, thirteen wardmote inquest men, seven constables, seven scavengers, and a beadle. The jurymen returned by the inquest men are to serve in the several courts of Guildhall in the month of December
Bissel’scourt, Wapping.†
Bist’sgardens, in the Mint, Southwark.†
Bittalley, Turnmill street.
Blackalley, Turnmill street.
Black and whitealley. 1. Old Bailey. 2. Tower hill.
Black and whitecourt, Old Bailey.
Black Bellalley. Petticoat lane.*
Black Birdalley. 1. St. John’s street, Spitalfields.* 2. Spicer street.*
Black Boyalley. 1. Chick lane.* 2. Barnaby street.* 3. Blackman street, Southwark.* 4. Fore street, Lambeth.* 5. In the Minories.* 6. Near Peter’s Hill, Thames street.* 7. Rosemary lane.* 8. Saltpetre Bank.*
Black Boycourt, Long Acre.*
Black Boyyard. 1. In the Minories.* 2. Saltpetre Bank.*
Black Bullalley, Petticoat lane, Whitechapel.*
Black Bullyard, Whitechapel.*
Blackburn’salley, Rotherhith wall.†
Blackburn’scourt, Portpool lane.†
Blackburn’smews, Grosvenor street.†
Black Dogalley. 1. Bowling alley, Dean’s yard, Westminster.* 2. East Smithfield.*
Black Dogyard. 1. Near Vauxhall.* 2. Shoreditch.*
Black Eaglecourt, Whitechapel.*
Black Eaglestreet, Brick lane, Spitalfields.*
Black Eagleyard, Black Eagle street.*
Black Fields, Horselydown.
Black Friars, near Fleet ditch, was a monastery of that order, otherwise called Preaching Friars. This monastery was erected by Robert Kilwarby Archbishop of Canterbury, about the year 1276, who also built the church of Black Friars, to which King Edward I. and Queen Eleanor were great benefactors, and even the reputed founders. This church was large and richly furnished with ornaments. In the monastery several parliaments were held, and the Emperor Charles V. who was also King of Spain, lodged there in the year 1522. There the ancient Kings had their records and charters kept, as well as at the Tower: and, tho’ this monastery was dissolved with the rest by King Henry VIII. yet in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Black Friars was inhabited by many noblemen and gentlemen; parliaments still continued to be often held there, and being a place of refuge, malefactors frequently took shelter in its liberties, and the inhabitants were free from arrests: but these pernicious privileges have been many years lost; and as it has been lately made part of the ward of Faringdon within, the shopkeepers and tradesmen are obliged to be free of the city; two Common Council men are annually elected out of it, and added to the number that used to serve this ward.
Black Friarsbridge. The Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and Common Council of this city, have been empowered by a late act, to build a bridge cross the Thames from Black Friars to the opposite side in the county of Surrey; to fill up the channel of Bridewell dock, or Fleet ditch, and to purchase and pull down such buildings as shall be thought proper for forming and widening streets and avenues. This bridge is to have a free and open passage thro’ the arches of 750 feet at least within the banks of the river. A sufficient number of glass lamps are to be fixed on proper parts of it, to burn from sun setting to sun rising; and a number of watchmen placed for the security of passengers.
For the erecting and support of this work, when finished, they are to receive as toll, any sum they shall direct, not exceeding the following rates:
For every coach, chariot, berlin, chaise, chair or calash, drawn by six horses, 2s.
Drawn by four horses, 1s.6d.
Drawn by less than four, 1s.
For every waggon, wain, cart or car, drawn by four or more horses, or other beasts, 1s.
For either of the same carriages drawn by less than four horses, &c. 6d.
For every horse, mule or ass, laden or unladen, and not drawing, 1d.
For every foot passenger on Sunday, 1d.
And every other day ½d.
Upon the credit of these tolls, the Lord Mayor and Common Council are impowered to raise any sums of money not exceeding 30,000l.in one year, till they have raised 160,000l.in the whole, which they are not to exceed.
Black Friarsschool, was founded by Peter Joy, Esq; in the year 1716, who also endowed it with 160l.17s.3d.per annum, for cloathing and instructing forty boys and thirty girls, in reading, writing and accounts. This school he left in trust with the Governors of Sion College, who allow the master 40l.and the mistress 30l.a year.
Black Friarsstairs, near Fleet ditch.
Blackheath, a large plain on the south of Greenwich, on which Watt Tyler, the Kentish rebel, mustered 100,000 men. In this place, which is admired for the fineness of its situation, and its excellent air, is a noble house built by Sir Gregory Page, Bart. a view of which we have here given.
This is a very magnificent edifice, built in the modern taste, consisting of a basement state and attick story. The wings contain the offices and stables, which are joined to the body of the house by a colonade. It stands in the midst of a park with a large piece of water before it. The back front has an Ionic portico of four columns, but having no pediment does not make so agreeable a figure as could be wished.
This is one of the finest seats in England belonging to a private gentleman; it is adorned with many capital pictures, a list whereof is here given; and the gardens, park, and country around, render it a most delightful seat: yet this fine edifice was begun, raised, and covered, in the space of eleven months. At a small distance is the College erected by Sir John Morden, Bart. for a particular account of which seeMorden College.
S. Wale delin.B. Green sc. Oxon.Sr. Gregory Page’s Seat.
S. Wale delin.B. Green sc. Oxon.Sr. Gregory Page’s Seat.
S. Wale delin.B. Green sc. Oxon.Sr. Gregory Page’s Seat.
A Catalogue of the Pictures of SirGregory Page, Baronet, at hisHouse atBlackheath.
A Catalogue of the Pictures of SirGregory Page, Baronet, at hisHouse atBlackheath.
A Catalogue of the Pictures of SirGregory Page, Baronet, at his
House atBlackheath.
In the Gallery 52 pictures
In the Gallery 52 pictures
In the Gallery 52 pictures
Black Horsealley. 1. Barbican.* 2. Near Snow hill.*
Black Horsecourt. 1. Aldersgate street.* 2. In the Minories. 3. Old Change.* 4. White street, Southwark.* 5. Windmill street.*
Black Horseyard. 1. Green street, Leicester fields.* 2. In the Curtain, Hog lane, Shoreditch.* 3. Gravel lane, Houndsditch.* 4. Gray’s Inn lane.* 5. Harrow alley, Petticoat lane.* 6. Nightingale lane.* 7. Pickax street.* 8. Poor Jewry lane, within Aldgate.* 9. Tottenham Court road.* 10. Townditch, Little Britain.* 11. Tower hill.* 12. Whitechapel.* 13. Great Windmill street.*
Black Jackalley. 1. East Smithfield.* 2. Great Windmill street.* 3. Old street.*
Black Lionalley, Wentworth street.*
Black Lioncourt. 1. Bank side.* 2. Foster lane.* 3. Old Change.*
Black Lionstairs, near York Buildings.*
Black Lionyard. 1. Bedfordbury.* 2. Stony lane, Petticoat lane.* 3. Whitechapel.*
Blackman’scourt. 1. Great Peter street.* 2. Price’s alley.*
Blackman’sstreet, St. George’s church, Southwark.*
Black Mary’shole, a few stragling houses near the Cold Bath fields, in the road to Hampstead. It took its name from a Blackmoor woman called Mary, who about thirty years ago lived by the side of the road near the stile in a small circular hut built with stones.
Blackmoor’s Headyard, near St. James’s square.*
Blackmoorstreet, Clare-market.*
Blackmoor’salley. 1. Farthing fields.* 2. Green bank, Wapping.* 3. St. Martin’s lane, Charing cross.*
Black Ravenalley. 1. Coleman street.* 2. Leadenhall street.* 3. Near Fishmongers hall in Thames street.*
Black Ravencourt. 1. Chiswell street.* 2. Golden lane.* 3. Grub street. 4. Leadenhall street.* 5. St. Olave’s street.* 6. Seething lane.*
Black Ravenpassage, Fetter lane.*
Black Rod, an officer of the King’s palace, so called from his carrying a black staff, is the chief of the four Gentlemen Ushers of the presence chamber, and attends the House of Lords every day during the sitting of Parliament, where his seat is within the bar. When the King sends to order the House of Commons to attend him in that house, he always sends the Black Rod. This gentleman is also employed in fitting up the House of Lords before the meeting of the Parliament; he introduces the Lords into that house, and to his custody delinquents are committed by the Lords. This gentleman is likewise Usher to the order of the Garter.
Black’salley, East Smithfield.
Black’sfields, Shad Thames.
Blacksmiths, an ancient guild, or fraternity, which was continued by prescription, till the Blacksmiths were incorporated by letters patent granted by Queen Elizabeth, and confirmed by King James I.
This company is governed by a Master, three Wardens, and twenty-one Assistants, and has a livery of 220 members, whose fine is 8l.They have a pleasant hall on Lambeth hill, for the dispatch of their affairs.
Blacksmithsyard, Upper Ground, Southwark.
Black Spread Eaglealley. 1. Blackman street.* 2. Kent street.* 3. Turnmill street.*
Black Spread Eaglecourt. 1. Blackman street.* 2. Finch lane, Cornhill.*
Black Swanalley. 1. Golden lane.* 2. Corbet’s court, Eagle street.* 3. Holiwell street.* 4. Little Carter lane.* 5. Opposite Garlick Hill, Thames street.* 6. London wall.* 7. St. Margaret’s hill.*
Black Swancourt. 1. Bartholomew lane.* 2. Canon street.* 3. Golden lane.* 4. In the Maze.* 5. Market street.* 6. St. Paul’s Church yard.* 7. Shore ditch.* 8. Great Tower street.*
Black Swanyard. 1. Brown’s lane.* 2. In the Borough.* 3. Newington Butts.* 4. Ropemakers fields, Limehouse.*
Black Swan Innyard, Holborn.*
Blackwell, Poplar.
Blackwellhall, Basinghall street, a very ancient edifice, employed for several ages as a market for all kinds of woollen cloth brought to London. This edifice was originally called Basing’s Haugh or Hall; probably from the family of the Basings, who first built the house, and whose arms were placed in many parts of it, painted on the walls, and cut in the stone-work. From this family, who were owners also of the adjoining ground. Stow supposes, that “the ward itself took its name, as Coleman street ward of Coleman, and Faringdon ward, of William and Nicholas Faringdon.” Of this family the same author observes, that Solomon Basing was Mayor in the year 1216; and that to Adam Basing his son, who was also afterwards Mayor, King Henry III. gave the advowson of the church at Basing Hall, and several liberties and privileges.
In the 36th year of Edward III. this house was inhabited by Mr. Thomas Bakewell, whence it obtained the name of Bakewell Hall; a name that was afterwards corrupted to that of Blackwell Hall. At length it was purchased, with the garden and appurtenances, of King Richard II. by the city, for the sum of 50l.and from that time has been chiefly employed as a weekly market for all the broad and narrow woollen cloths brought out of the country.
This house at length growing ruinous, was rebuilt in the form of a handsome store house in the year 1558, at the charge of 2500l.but an hundred and eight years after was destroyed by the fire of London, and again rebuilt in 1672; this last is the present edifice.
It is a square building with a court in the middle surrounded with warehouses, and has two spacious entrances for carriages, one from Basinghall street, and the other opposite to it by Guildhall. This last is the principal front, and has the door-case adorned with two columns of the Doric order, with their entablature, and a pediment, in which are the King’s arms, and a little lower the city arms enriched with Cupids,&c.
In this edifice are the Devonshire, Gloucester, Worcester, Kentish, Medley, Spanish, and Blanket Halls, in which each piece of cloth pays one penny for pitching, and a half-penny per week resting; and the profits, which are said to amount to about 1100l.per annum, are applied towards the support of Christ’s Hospital, the Governors whereof have the whole management of these warehouses. There are several statutes relating to the regulation of this market, with respect to the factors, and others concerned.
Blackwell Hallcourt, London Wall, Basinghall street. ☐
Blackwell Hallpassage, Cateaton street. ☐
Blackwell Hallyard, Basinghall street. ☐
Blake’salley, Holiwell lane. †
Blake’scourt, Catharine street, in the Strand. †
Blake’syard, Old street. †
Blandcourt, Narrow street. †
Bland’sdock, Rotherhith. †
Bland’syard, In the Minories. †
Blankyard, Great Pearl street.
Blechingly, a small parliamentary borough in Surrey, said to have enjoyed that privilege ever since parliaments had a being, and yet it has no market. The Bailiff, who returns the members, is annually chosen at the Lord of the Mannor’s court. The town, which is five miles from Ryegate, and twenty from London, being situated on a hill, on the side of Holmsdale, affords a fine prospect, as far as Sussex and the South Downs, and from some of the ruins of the castle, which are still visible, tho’ in the midst of a coppice, one may take a view to the west into Hampshire, and to the east into Kent. Here is a free school and an almshouse; but the spire of the church was consumed by lightning and all the bells melted in the year 1606.
Bleeding Heartyard, Cross street, Hatton garden. †
Blenheimstreet, Oxford street.
Blewgatefields, Ratcliff Highway.
Blewit’sbuildings, Fetter lane. †
Blewit’scourt, Fetter lane. †
Blick’srow, Oxford row. †
Blind Beggarsalley, Cow Cross. †
Blood’sground, Mersham street. †
Bloodworth’sdock, Wapping. †
Bloodworth’syard, Wapping wall.
Bloody Bridge, King’s Road, Chelsea.
Bloomsbury, the district thus named was anciently a village denominated Lomsbury, in which were the King’s stables, till they were destroyed by fire in 1354.Maitland.
Bloomsburychurch. SeeSt. George’sBloomsbury.
Bloomsburycourt, Bloomsbury market.
Bloomsburymarket, by Bloomsbury square.