Chapter 6

S. Wale delin.J. Green sc. Oxon.Admiralty

S. Wale delin.J. Green sc. Oxon.Admiralty

S. Wale delin.J. Green sc. Oxon.Admiralty

Admiraltyoffice, an edifice built with brick and stone, on the west side of the street, opposite to Scotland yard. The east front, which is that represented in the print, has two deep wings, and is entered by a very lofty portico supported by four very large stone columns of the Ionic Order, to which there is an ascent by a few steps.

The importance of this building is what recommends it to notice. The portico, which was intended as an ornament, rather disgusts than pleases, by the immoderate height and ill shape of the columns.

In this office are transacted all martime affairs belonging to the jurisdiction of the Admiralty, who here regulate the affairs of the navy; nominate Admirals, Captains, and other officers to serve on board his Majesty’s ships of war, and give orders for the trial of those who have failed in their duty, or been guilty of other irregularities.

Admiraltyoffice yard, Whitehall.☐

Adscomb, in Surrey near Croydon, is the seat of William Draper, Esq; the paintings and furniture of which are fine.

Advocatesof Doctors Commons. SeeDoctors Commons.

Affidavitoffice, in Symond’s inn. This office belongs to the Masters in Chancery, where one or more of them constantly attend to take affidavits, and there all affidavits belonging to the Court of Chancery are filed.

African Company.The English first sent ships to Africa on account of commerce about the year 1553, from which time the trade to that country was carried on by private hands till 1588, when Queen Elizabeth, by her letters patent, erected a company, for the more effectual promoting of that trade, which then was only for gold, elephants teeth, and Guinea pepper; for the use of negroes was not yet introduced into America.

This company was greatly encouraged during the reigns of James I. and Charles I. but the Dutch taking several forts on the coast of Africa from the Portuguese, committed great depredations on the English, upon which Charles II. the better to enable his subjects to carry on that trade, incorporated a body of merchants, in the year 1662, by the title ofThe Company of Royal Adventurers of England to Africa: but the subscriptions for carrying on this precarious commerce not answering the expectation of the incorporated merchants, they were soon involved in debt, and reduced to such difficulties as rendered them unable to continue their trade to advantage; wherefore they agreed for a certain sum, to surrender their charter to the crown, and to assign all their estates and effects both at home and abroad to certain merchants, who intended to erect a new company, for the more effectual carrying on a trade to Africa: these merchants the King incorporated in the year 1672, and these were the Royal African company, who had a power to trade from the port of Sallee, to the Cape of Good Hope, exclusive of all the King’s other subjects, during the term of a thousand years.

By virtue of this royal grant, the company made a considerable progress in erecting forts, and settling factors: but their trade being laid open by parliament in the year 1697, they were rendered unable to support their forts, it was therefore enacted, that all private traders to Africa should pay tenper cent.to the company for that purpose.

This duty did not however answer the end for which it was granted, and the company was obliged to apply to parliament in the year 1730 for relief, when they obtained a certain sum for that purpose, and it was enacted that all his Majesty’s subjects treading to and from Africa, between Cape Blanco and the Cape of Good Hope, should hereafter be deemed a body corporate, and that all the countries, islands, rivers and places, together with the forts, should be in the possession of this new company; the members of which should not trade to or from Africa in their joint capacity, have any joint or transferable stock, or borrow money on their common seal. That the persons trading or intending to trade to Africa, should pay to the Chamberlain of London, the Clerk of the Merchants-hall in Bristol, or the Town Clerk of Liverpool, 40s.each for the freedom of the new company. That the management of the affairs of this new company, should be under the direction of a committee of nine persons, to be chosen annually, three out of the members in the city of London, three out of those of Bristol, and three out of those of Liverpool. That this committee should have power to make orders for the government and improvement of the forts and factories; to appoint governors, and other officers civil and military; to receive annually the sum of 40s.and to take a list of the names of all the persons making payment.

It is also enacted, that the committee shall once a year give an account of all their transactions to the Commissioners for trade and plantations, and likewise lay before the Cursitor Baron of the Exchequer, an account, upon oath, of all the money they have received within the preceding year, and the application thereof; and the Lords of the Admiralty are to give instructions to the Captains of such of his Majesty’s ships of war as shall be stationed or ordered to cruize within the above limits, to inspect, and make report to them from time to time of the state of the forts and settlements, copies of which are to be laid before the parliament every sessions.

This is the state at present of this company, who keep their office in Cooper’s court, Cornhill.

Agnescourt, Little George street.

St.Agnes le Clarefields, near Hoxton, so called from a spring of water dedicated to that Saint, and now converted into a cold bath.

Ailsburycourt, George street.

Ailsburystreet, 1. By Jermyn street. 2. St. John’s street, Clerkenwell green.

Aingerstreet, York street.†

Airstreet, 1. Piccadilly.† 2. By Mary la bone.† 3. Leather lane.†

Akersleyyard, Great St. Anne’s street.†

Alamyard, Crutched Friars.

St.Alban’s, a large and very ancient town in Hertfordshire, 21 miles from London, was so called from St. Alban, who suffered in the persecution under Dioclesian, and being afterwards canonized, and interred on a hill in the neighbourhood of this town, a monastery was erected and dedicated to him by King Offa. King Edward I. erected a magnificent cross in memory of Queen Eleanor; and King Edward VI. incorporated this town by a charter, granting the inhabitants a Mayor, a Steward, a Chamberlain, and ten Burgesses: but the Mayor and Steward are here the only Justices of peace. Here are three churches, besides the ancient cathedral called St. Alban’s, belonging to the monastery, which is now a parish church.

In this ancient edifice is a funeral monument and effigies of King Offa, its founder, who is represented seated on his throne; and underneath is the following inscription:

Fundator Ecclesiæ circa annum 793.Quem male depictum, et residentem cernitis alteSublimem solio,Mercius Offafuit.

Fundator Ecclesiæ circa annum 793.Quem male depictum, et residentem cernitis alteSublimem solio,Mercius Offafuit.

Fundator Ecclesiæ circa annum 793.Quem male depictum, et residentem cernitis alteSublimem solio,Mercius Offafuit.

Fundator Ecclesiæ circa annum 793.

Quem male depictum, et residentem cernitis alte

Sublimem solio,Mercius Offafuit.

That is,

That is,

That is,

The founder of the church, about the year 793.Whom you behold ill-painted on his throneSublime, was once forMercian Offaknown.

The founder of the church, about the year 793.Whom you behold ill-painted on his throneSublime, was once forMercian Offaknown.

The founder of the church, about the year 793.Whom you behold ill-painted on his throneSublime, was once forMercian Offaknown.

The founder of the church, about the year 793.

Whom you behold ill-painted on his throne

Sublime, was once forMercian Offaknown.

On the east side stood the shrine of St. Alban, where the following short inscription is still to be seen;

S. Albanus Verolamensis, Anglorum Protomartyr, 17 Junii 293.

In the south isle near the above shrine is the monument of Humphry, brother to King Henry V. commonly distinguished by the title of the Good Duke of Gloucester. It is adorned with a ducal coronet, and the arms of France and England quartered. In niches on one side are seventeen Kings; but in the niches on the other side there are no statues remaining. The inscription, which alludes to the pretended miraculous cure of a blind man detected by the Duke, is as follows:

Piæ Memoriæ V. Opt. Sacrum.Hic jacetHumphredus, Dux ille Glocestrius olim,HenriciSexti protector, fraudis ineptæDetector, dum ficta notat miracula cœci.Lumen erat patriæ, columen venerabile regni,Pacis amans, Musisque favens melioribus; undeGratum opus Oxonio, quæ nunc schola sacra refulget.Invida sed mulier regno, regi, sibi nequam,Abstulit hunc, humili vix hoc dignata sepulcro.Invidia rumpente tamen, post funera vivit.

Piæ Memoriæ V. Opt. Sacrum.Hic jacetHumphredus, Dux ille Glocestrius olim,HenriciSexti protector, fraudis ineptæDetector, dum ficta notat miracula cœci.Lumen erat patriæ, columen venerabile regni,Pacis amans, Musisque favens melioribus; undeGratum opus Oxonio, quæ nunc schola sacra refulget.Invida sed mulier regno, regi, sibi nequam,Abstulit hunc, humili vix hoc dignata sepulcro.Invidia rumpente tamen, post funera vivit.

Piæ Memoriæ V. Opt. Sacrum.Hic jacetHumphredus, Dux ille Glocestrius olim,HenriciSexti protector, fraudis ineptæDetector, dum ficta notat miracula cœci.Lumen erat patriæ, columen venerabile regni,Pacis amans, Musisque favens melioribus; undeGratum opus Oxonio, quæ nunc schola sacra refulget.Invida sed mulier regno, regi, sibi nequam,Abstulit hunc, humili vix hoc dignata sepulcro.Invidia rumpente tamen, post funera vivit.

Piæ Memoriæ V. Opt. Sacrum.

Hic jacetHumphredus, Dux ille Glocestrius olim,

HenriciSexti protector, fraudis ineptæ

Detector, dum ficta notat miracula cœci.

Lumen erat patriæ, columen venerabile regni,

Pacis amans, Musisque favens melioribus; unde

Gratum opus Oxonio, quæ nunc schola sacra refulget.

Invida sed mulier regno, regi, sibi nequam,

Abstulit hunc, humili vix hoc dignata sepulcro.

Invidia rumpente tamen, post funera vivit.

Which has been thus translated:

Sacred to the memory of the best of men.Interr’d within this consecrated ground,Lies he, whomHenryhis protector found:GoodHumphry, Gloc’ster’s Duke, who well could spyFraud couch’d within the blind impostor’s eye.His country’s light, the state’s rever’d support,Who peace and rising learning deigned to court;Whence his rich library at Oxford plac’d,Her ample schools with sacred influence grac’d:Yet fell beneath an envious woman’s wile,Both to herself, her King, and country vile;Who scarce allowed his bones this spot of land:Yet spite of envy shall his glory stand.

Sacred to the memory of the best of men.Interr’d within this consecrated ground,Lies he, whomHenryhis protector found:GoodHumphry, Gloc’ster’s Duke, who well could spyFraud couch’d within the blind impostor’s eye.His country’s light, the state’s rever’d support,Who peace and rising learning deigned to court;Whence his rich library at Oxford plac’d,Her ample schools with sacred influence grac’d:Yet fell beneath an envious woman’s wile,Both to herself, her King, and country vile;Who scarce allowed his bones this spot of land:Yet spite of envy shall his glory stand.

Sacred to the memory of the best of men.Interr’d within this consecrated ground,Lies he, whomHenryhis protector found:GoodHumphry, Gloc’ster’s Duke, who well could spyFraud couch’d within the blind impostor’s eye.His country’s light, the state’s rever’d support,Who peace and rising learning deigned to court;Whence his rich library at Oxford plac’d,Her ample schools with sacred influence grac’d:Yet fell beneath an envious woman’s wile,Both to herself, her King, and country vile;Who scarce allowed his bones this spot of land:Yet spite of envy shall his glory stand.

Sacred to the memory of the best of men.

Interr’d within this consecrated ground,

Lies he, whomHenryhis protector found:

GoodHumphry, Gloc’ster’s Duke, who well could spy

Fraud couch’d within the blind impostor’s eye.

His country’s light, the state’s rever’d support,

Who peace and rising learning deigned to court;

Whence his rich library at Oxford plac’d,

Her ample schools with sacred influence grac’d:

Yet fell beneath an envious woman’s wile,

Both to herself, her King, and country vile;

Who scarce allowed his bones this spot of land:

Yet spite of envy shall his glory stand.

About 40 years ago in digging a grave, a pair of stairs were discovered that lead down into a vault where his leaden coffin was found, in which his body was preserved entire, by a kind of pickle in which it lay, only the flesh was wasted from the legs, the pickle at that end being dried up. Many curious medals and coins are to be seen in the church, that have been dug out of the ruins of Old Verulam that stood on the other side of the river Ver, or Moore, which runs south west of the town.

Near St. Alban’s is a fort, at a place called by the common people the Oyster Hills, which is supposed to have been the camp of Ostorius, the Roman Proprætor. This town is the largest in the county, and besides the four churches, has several meeting-houses, two charity schools, and three fairs, and has on Saturday one of the best markets for wheat in England. It gives the title of Duke to the noble family of Beauclerc. The great John Duke of Marlborough erected a seat here, called Holloway-house, and several neat alms-houses have been built here by him and his Duchess.

St.Alban’s,Wood street, on the north side of London, and the east side of Wood street, Cheapside, is dedicated to St. Alban, the British Proto-Martyr, who suffered under the persecution of Dioclesian. The first church in this place was erected in the year 930, and dedicated to the same Saint. After various repairs, the old church was pulled down in 1634, and another erected, which was destroyed by the fire of London thirty-two years after, when the present edifice was built from the same model as the former. It is entirely in the Gothic stile, and consists of a spacious body, and a handsome tower with pinacles.

This church is a rectory in the patronage of Eton College, and the parish of St. Olave, Silver street, is united to it. The Rector, besides other advantages, receives 170l.in lieu of tithes.

Munday in his edition of Stow mentions several uncommon epitaphs in this church, from which we have only selected the following:

Hic jacet Tom Shorthose,Sine tombe, sine sheet, sine riches,Qui vixit sine gowne,Sine cloake, sine shirt, sine breeches.

Hic jacet Tom Shorthose,Sine tombe, sine sheet, sine riches,Qui vixit sine gowne,Sine cloake, sine shirt, sine breeches.

Hic jacet Tom Shorthose,Sine tombe, sine sheet, sine riches,Qui vixit sine gowne,Sine cloake, sine shirt, sine breeches.

Hic jacet Tom Shorthose,

Sine tombe, sine sheet, sine riches,

Qui vixit sine gowne,

Sine cloake, sine shirt, sine breeches.

St.Alban’sstreet, Pall-mall.

Albemarlebuildings, Bond street, so called from the Duke of Albemarle, who bought the Earl of Clarendon’s seat, which stood here, and afterwards selling the house and gardens, they were laid out into streets, whence arose this and the two following streets.

Albemarlemews, Dover street.

Albemarlestreet. 1. Piccadilly, 2. St. John’s street, West Smithfield.†

In the possession of Richard Mead, Esq; in Albemarle street, is a book bought out of the collection of the famous Cardinal Maximi at Rome; it contain 148 accurate and elegant paintings in water colours, done from ancient pictures found on the walls, ceilings and floors of the baths of Titus, and various other buildings in Rome, some of which have been engraved by Bartoli in hisSepolchri di Nassoni, and in other books: but many of them are to be seen no where else, neither engraved, nor on the walls from whence they were first copied, where they are much defaced by the weather, the smoke of torches, and other accidents.

Of these ancient paintings on wall, Mr. Mead has also a very elegant little specimen representing Augustus restoring a crown to a conquered Prince in the presence of several of his courtiers, among which the faces of Mecænas and Horace may be distinguished.—This has been engraved and explained by Turnbull.

An ancient Greek inscription, being eight lines of Hexameter and Pentameter verses on a marble brought from Asia, which had been a pedestal to a statue of Jupiter Urius. This has been engraved and explained by the learned Mr. Chishul in hisAntiquitates Asiaticæ.

Alcock’srents, Barnaby street.†

Aldermanbury, Cateaton street. This street was thus named from the Guildhall being anciently situated there, till falling to decay, the present hall was built at the end of King street, about the year 1420. The old hall must have been very ancient, as this street had the name of Aldermanbury so early as before the year 1189; and Mr. Maitland supposes that Edward the Confessor, who began his reign in 1042, had a considerable share in its first foundation.

AldermanburyPostern, London wall.

Alderman Parsons’sstairs, St. Catharine’s.†

Alderman’swalk, Bishopsgate street.

Aldermen.These are twenty-six in number, and each has his separate ward, to the government of which he is more immediately to attend. Those who have served the office of Lord Mayor, are said to be above the chair, and with three of the eldest that are next it, are justices of the peace by charter. All the Aldermen keep their wardmote for chusing ward officers, and settling the affairs of the ward; for redressing grievances, and presenting all defaults found in the ward. In the management of these affairs, every Alderman has his deputy, chosen out of the common council, and in some of the wards, that are very large, the Alderman has two deputies.

Aldersgate, which is situated 1265 feet south west of Cripplegate, is, in Stow’s opinion, one of the original gates of the city; but this is disputed by Maitland, who observes, that the epithet of Alder does not necessarily imply its antiquity, as some derive the name of the gate from Aldrich, a Saxon; others from the seniors or old men by whom it was built; and others from the great number of alder trees, which grew in that neighbourhood; whence he imagines that either of these opinions is more probable, than that this name was conferred upon it on account of its age, particularly as it is no where found to be mentioned before the conquest.

The present gate was built in the year 1616, and being much damaged by the fire of London, was repaired in 1670. In a large square over the arch is King James I. on horseback, in the same posture as when he made his entry through this gate, on his coming to take possession of the crown. The arms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, are quartered above his head. In a nich on the east side is the prophet Jeremiah, with the words of the 25th verse of the 17th chapter of his book; and in a nich on the west side stands the prophet Samuel, with the first verse of the 12th chap. of 1 Sam. On the south side is King James I. in his royal robes, sitting in a chair of state, done in relief. By the sides of the gate there are two posterns for the convenience of foot passengers: and the apartments above are appropriated to the use of the common crier of the city.

A late author observes, that this gate is so heavy and Gothic a structure, that it hardly deserves notice, unless for the sake of the bass relief of King James, which, though in an aukward and inelegant taste, is a very tolerable piece of workmanship, and may challenge some applause.

Aldersgatebars, in Goswell street, a little beyond the north end of Aldersgate street, where the liberties of the city end on that side.

Aldersgatestreet, extends from the gate to the corner of Barbican.

Aldersgate Ward, is of considerable extent both within and without the gate from which it is named, and extends in length from Blowbladder street to Aldersgate bars, including part of Noble street, almost all Foster lane, St. Martin’s le Grand, Bull and Mouth street, Little Britain, and Aldersgate street. The principal buildings are two churches, St. Botolph’s and St. Ann’s, Goldsmiths-hall, Cooks-hall, Coachmakers-hall, Shaftsbury house, a noble building now used for the London lying-in hospital, and London-house. This ward is governed by an Alderman, two Deputies, and eight Common Council Men; eight constables, nine scavengers, nineteen wardmote inquest men and a beadle. The jurymen returned by the wardmote inquest serve in the several courts in Guildhall in the month of August.

Aldgate, was one of the four original gates of the city, and that through which the Roman vicinal way led to thetrajectusor ferry at Old Ford. Stow says, that it received its name from its antiquity, which Maitland observes is very improbable, though he allows that the Saxons might give it the epithet ofEaldorAld, from the ruinous condition in which they found it when they first possessed themselves of this city. However, the first time it is found mentioned, is in a charter granted by King Edgar about the year 967.

Aldgate being very ruinous, was pulled down in the year 1606, and the first stone of the present edifice was laid the next year; but this work was not finished till 1609. It is observable that in digging the foundation, several Roman coins were discovered, two of which Mr. Bond the surveyor caused to be cut on stone, and placed on each side of the east front. On the same side was placed in a large square the statue of King James I. in gilt armour, with a golden lion and a chained unicorn couchant at his feet. On the top of the gate was a vane supported by a gilt sphere, on each side of which stood a soldier holding a bullet in his hand, on the top of the upper battlements. On the west side was a figure of Fortune gilt, and standing on a globe, with a prosperous sail spreading over her head; under which was carved the King’s arms; some what lower on the south side stood Peace with a dove perched on her hand, and a gilded wreath in the other; and on the north side was the emblem of Charity. Over the arch of the gate was also engraven,

Senatus PopulusqueLondinensisFecit1609Humfrey Weld, Maior.

Senatus PopulusqueLondinensisFecit1609Humfrey Weld, Maior.

Senatus PopulusqueLondinensis

Fecit1609

Humfrey Weld, Maior.

But all these statues have been removed, and none of these ornaments remain, except the representation of the two Roman coins, and the inscription.

The apartments over this gate are appropriated to the use of one of the Lord Mayor’s carvers.

Aldgatehigh street, extends from Aldgate to Leadenhall street.

Aldgatestreet, extends without Aldgate, to the north east corner of the Minories.

Aldgate Ward, is bounded on the east by Portsoken ward; on the south by Tower street ward; and on the west and north, by the wards of Langbourn, Lime street and Bishopsgate. It extends from Aldgate to Lime street corner in Leadenhall street, and takes in all the streets and lanes on the one hand to Bevis Mark and Shoemaker row, and on the other to Ironmongers hall in Fenchurch street; to the navy office, only a part of which is in this ward, and to the end of River street Tower hill; including Poor Jury lane, Crutched Friars, London street, Woodroff lane,&c.The principal buildings are these four parish churches, St. Catharine Cree church, St. Andrew Undershaft, St. James Duke’s place, and St. Catharine Coleman; three Jews Synagogues, and the Ironmongers, Fletchers and Bricklayers halls. It is under the government of an Alderman and six Common Council men, one of whom is the Alderman’s deputy, with six constables, nine scavengers, eighteen wardmote inquest men, and a beadle. The jurymen returned by the wardmote inquest, serve as jurors in the several courts of Guildhall in the month of January.Maitland.

Alexander’syard, Water lane, Fleet street.†

Alienation officein the Inner Temple, is one of the offices under the Lord Chancellor. Here all writs of covenants and entry upon which fines are levied, and recoveries suffered, are carried to have fines for alienation, set and paid thereupon. This office is executed by three commissioners.Chamberlain’s Present State.

Allard’shill, Rotherhith wall.†

Allen’sstreet, Goswell street.†

Allen’scourt, 1. Leadenhall street.† 2. Oxford street.†

Allen’srents, Houndsditch, Bishopsgate street without.†

Alleyn’s Collegeat Dulwich. SeeDulwichcollege.Alleyn’s Almshousein Lamb alley in Bishopsgate street. This charitable foundation, was erected in Petty France by Edward Alleyn, a comedian, about the year 1614, and from thence removed to the above place upon the rebuilding of Petty France, now called New Broad street. Ten poor men and women are, besides their lodging, allowed about 40s.per annum, and every other year the men have coats and breeches, and the women gowns and petticoats.Maitland.

Alleyn’s Almshouse, in Pesthouse lane near Old street, was founded by the above Edward Alleyn, about the year 1616, for ten poor men and women; who receive 6d.per week each, and every other year coats and gowns.

Alleyn’s Almshousein Soap yard, Deadman’s Place in Southwark, was also founded by the above Edward Alleyn, about the year 1616, for ten poor men and women, with an allowance of only 6d.per week.

AllhallowsBarkingchurch, at the east end of Tower street, is so denominated from its being dedicated to all the Saints, vulgarly called Allhallows; and its anciently belonging to the Abbess and Convent of Barking in Essex. It escaped the fire in 1666, and carries about it the marks of that period when architecture was not well understood in England. The church is of considerable extent, and the steeple is a plain tower with its turret. It is a vicarage in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Vicar, besides other advantages, receives about 126l.a year in tithes.

AllhallowsBread street. The old church was destroyed by the dreadful conflagration which laid most of the other churches in ruins; and the present edifice was erected in 1684. It consists of a plain body, and a square tower divided into four stages with arches near the top. It is a rectory, and one of the thirteen peculiars in this city belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The advowson of this church is in the Archbishop of Canterbury, and to this parish that of St. John the Evangelist is united. The Vicar, besides glebes, casualties, annual donations, and other advantages, receives 1401. a year in lieu of tithes.Maitland.

The following monumental inscripton in this church is worthy of a place in this work. It is to the memory of Humfrey Levins, a citizen and grocer of London, who died in 1682, in the fifty-third year of his age, and his son Humfrey, a youth aged fourteen, who died in 1677, and lies buried in the same grave.

Which shall we weep? both merit tears; yet sureTears are but vain, where bliss is so secure.Which shall we praise? our eulogy can’t addUnto the bless’d, who God’s kind euge had.Our duty’s but to imitate and admireThis happy pair of the celestial choir.

Which shall we weep? both merit tears; yet sureTears are but vain, where bliss is so secure.Which shall we praise? our eulogy can’t addUnto the bless’d, who God’s kind euge had.Our duty’s but to imitate and admireThis happy pair of the celestial choir.

Which shall we weep? both merit tears; yet sureTears are but vain, where bliss is so secure.Which shall we praise? our eulogy can’t addUnto the bless’d, who God’s kind euge had.Our duty’s but to imitate and admireThis happy pair of the celestial choir.

Which shall we weep? both merit tears; yet sure

Tears are but vain, where bliss is so secure.

Which shall we praise? our eulogy can’t add

Unto the bless’d, who God’s kind euge had.

Our duty’s but to imitate and admire

This happy pair of the celestial choir.

Allhallowsthe Great, situated on the south side of Thames street, was anciently denominatedAllhallows the More, andAllhallows ad Fœnumin theRopery, from its vicinity to a hay-wharf or market, and situation among ropemakers. The old church with a large cloister on the south side, were consumed in the general conflagration in 1666, and the present edifice arose in 1683. It was built on Sir Christopher Wren’s plan; but in some parts the mason has taken inexcusable liberties. The church is 87 feet in length, 60 in breadth, and the height to the roof is 33. It is built of stone, and there runs thro’ the whole, an apparent strength and solidity. The walls are plain and massy, the ornaments are few and simple, and the apertures, tho’ large, in order to enlighten so considerable a breadth, are not numerous. The tower is plain, square, and divided into five stages, but terminates absolutely square and plain, without spire, turret or pinacles. The cornice is supported by scrolls, and over these rises a balustrade of solid construction, very proper for the rest of the building.Maitland, and English Architecture.

Among the funeral monuments in this church, before its being burnt, was one in memory of Queen Elizabeth, with the following inscriptions:

If royal virtues ever crown’d a crown;If ever mildness shin’d in majesty;If ever honour honour’d true renown;If ever courage dwelt with clemency;If ever Princess put all Princes down,For temperance, prowess, prudence, equity;This, this was she, that in despight of deathLives still admir’d, ador’d Elizabeth.Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

If royal virtues ever crown’d a crown;If ever mildness shin’d in majesty;If ever honour honour’d true renown;If ever courage dwelt with clemency;If ever Princess put all Princes down,For temperance, prowess, prudence, equity;This, this was she, that in despight of deathLives still admir’d, ador’d Elizabeth.Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

If royal virtues ever crown’d a crown;If ever mildness shin’d in majesty;If ever honour honour’d true renown;If ever courage dwelt with clemency;If ever Princess put all Princes down,For temperance, prowess, prudence, equity;This, this was she, that in despight of deathLives still admir’d, ador’d Elizabeth.Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

If royal virtues ever crown’d a crown;

If ever mildness shin’d in majesty;

If ever honour honour’d true renown;

If ever courage dwelt with clemency;

If ever Princess put all Princes down,

For temperance, prowess, prudence, equity;

This, this was she, that in despight of death

Lives still admir’d, ador’d Elizabeth.

Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

In the figure of a book above her picture;

They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Sion, which shall not be removed.

They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Sion, which shall not be removed.

They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Sion, which shall not be removed.

They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Sion, which shall not be removed.

On the right side;

Spain’s rod, Rome’s ruin, the Netherlands relief,Heaven’s gem, earth’s joy, world’s wonder, nation’s chief.

Spain’s rod, Rome’s ruin, the Netherlands relief,Heaven’s gem, earth’s joy, world’s wonder, nation’s chief.

Spain’s rod, Rome’s ruin, the Netherlands relief,Heaven’s gem, earth’s joy, world’s wonder, nation’s chief.

Spain’s rod, Rome’s ruin, the Netherlands relief,

Heaven’s gem, earth’s joy, world’s wonder, nation’s chief.

On the left side;

Britain’s blessing, England’s splendor,Religion’s nurse, and Faith’s defender.

Britain’s blessing, England’s splendor,Religion’s nurse, and Faith’s defender.

Britain’s blessing, England’s splendor,Religion’s nurse, and Faith’s defender.

Britain’s blessing, England’s splendor,

Religion’s nurse, and Faith’s defender.

And beneath;

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, &c.Queen Elizabeth died the 24th of March, 1602.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, &c.Queen Elizabeth died the 24th of March, 1602.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, &c.Queen Elizabeth died the 24th of March, 1602.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, &c.

Queen Elizabeth died the 24th of March, 1602.

This church is a rectory, and one of the thirteen peculiars belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury; and to this parish that of Allhallows the Less is annexed, by which the profits of the Rector are greatly increased. He receives, besides glebes, &c. 200l.per annumin lieu of tithes.

AllhallowsHoney lane, a small church, which stood where the east end of Honey lane market is at present situated; but being destroyed by the fire of London in 1666, the parish was by act of parliament united to the church of St. Mary le Bow.

Allhallowsthe Less, stood on the south side of Thames street, almost adjoining to that of Allhallows the Great; but having suffered in the common calamity in 1666, the parish was united to that of Allhallows the Great.

AllhallowsLombard street, situated in Bell alley, near the north corner of Lombard street, in Langbourn ward. A church stood here under the same patronage, before the year 1053; but the present plain, well-proportioned building, was erected in the room of that destroyed by the fire of London. The body is enlightened by a single series of large windows, and the tower is terminated by a plain battlement.

This church is a rectory, and one of the thirteen peculiars in this city belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rector, besides glebes, donations, and casualties, receives 110l.a year in lieu of tithes.Maitland.

AllhallowsLondon wall, a small mean edifice, a little to the east of Bethlem Hospital, on the outside of London wall. It escaped the fire in 1666, and is a rectory, in the King’s gift.

AllhallowsStaining, situated near the north end of Mark lane. It is said to obtain the name of Staining, from the corruption of the wordstoney, because built at first of stone, when the other churches dedicated to all the Saints were of wood. It escaped the fire in 1666. The body is well illuminated with Gothic windows, and the square tower is crowned with a small turret.

This church is a curacy, in the gift of the Grocers company. The curate receives about 100l.a year by tithes.Maitland, and English Architecture.

Allhallows Staining School, was founded in the year 1658, by Mr. William Winter, who endowed it with the sum of 600l.the profits arising from which, amounting to 26l.per annum, are employed in instructing six boys in reading, writing, and accounts, and putting them out apprentice, with each of whom a sum is given not exceeding 10l.

AllhallowsLane, near the Steelyard, Thames street.☐

AllhallowsStairs, Allhallows lane, Thames street.

Lord HighAlmoner, a clergyman of the highest rank, and frequently the Archbishop of York, who has the office of disposing of the King’s alms, and for that use receives all deodands, the goods of persons found guilty of self-murder, and other sums allowed by his Majesty to be disposed of for that purpose. Besides the sums distributed to the poor of several parishes, there are many poor pensioners to the King below stairs, who have a competency duly paid them, either because they are so old as to be unfit for service, or because they are the widows of such of his Majesty’s household servants as died poor, and were unable to provide for their wives and children in their life-times.

Under the Lord High Almoner, are a Sub-almoner, a Yeoman, and a Groom of the Almonry.

Almonry, vulgarly called theAmbry, receives its name from the alms of the Abbey being distributed there, and was originally a chapel dedicated to St. Catharine, and not, as Mr. Stow asserts, to St. Anne. Near this chapel Abbot Islip erected the first printing-house that ever was in England in the year 1474; when Mr. William Caxton, a citizen and mercer of London, bringing that invaluable art from Holland, became the first printer in Britain.Maitland.

Almonry School, situated in the Almonry at Westminster, was founded in the year 1677, by Henry Hill, Esq; who also endowed it with 7l.a year for the education of poor children.

Almshouses.See a particular account of each under the names of their respective founders. The number of persons contained in the several Alms-houses and hospitals within the bills of mortality, with the children put forth apprentice by the money collected at the feast, &c. of the Sons of the Clergy, and the several poor families that participate of the king’s annual charity, amount in the whole to about 8000 persons, and the sum employed for their relief to 80,000l.Maitland.

Almshouseyard. 1. Little Almonry, Westminster. 2. Dormer’s Hill. 3. Little Chapel street. 4. Coleman street. 5. Snow Hill, in which Hammond’s almshouse is situated.

St.Alphage, in Aldermanbury near London wall, owes its name to its dedication to St. Alphage, or Elphege, a noble Saxon Saint, and Archbishop of Canterbury, who was murdered at Greenwich by the pagan Danes, in the year 1013. This church escaped the flames in 1666, and is still standing; tho’ it is as mean a structure as can well be conceived.

The living is a rectory in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and the Rector receives about 75l.a year in tithes.

Amblecourt, near Wellclose square.

Amencorner, at the end of Pater-noster-row, near St. Paul’s. SeePater-noster-row.

Amersham, orAgmondesham, a small but very ancient borough, in Buckinghamshire, situated in a vale between woody hills, 29 miles from London. This town does not come within the compass which we have prescribed round London, but our map of the environs not being a circle, the angles of it take in some few places at a greater distance than 20 miles; and these being inserted in our map, we thought we could not dispense with taking notice of them, as well as of those within the prescribed limits. The town consists of a long street, divided about the middle by a shorter cross street; in the intersection of which stands the church, said to be the best rectory in the county; it being well endowed by Geoffery de Mandeville, Earl of Essex, in the reign of King Stephen. There is here a handsome market-house, built with brick on arched pillars, about 80 years ago, by Sir William Drake, Knt. It has a free school founded in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; and here is also a fine seat called Shardelowes, the manor of which formerly belonged to the noble family of the Russels; but about the time of the restoration it was sold, with the borough, to Sir William Drake, Bart. in whose family it still remains.

Amicable Society, in Serjeants-inn Fleet street, was incorporated by a charter granted by Queen Anne, in the year 1706, for a perpetual Assurance-office for the purpose of making a provision for their wives, children, and other relations, after an easy, certain and advantageous manner, with power to purchase lands, &c. and to have a seal, which is a dove standing upon a serpent, and above in a scroll the mottoPrudens Simplicitas. The number of persons to be incorporated was not to exceed 2000. After paying the charges of the policy, and 10s.entrance-money, each person was to pay 6l.4s.per annum, which annual payments have since, by the increase of the Society’s stock, been reduced to 5l.a year, payable quarterly, and from these payments the dividends to claimants are to arise.

That this Society has been greatly beneficial to the public, evidently appears from a state of their yearly dividends from Lady-day 1710, to Lady 1757, during which each claim amounted upon an average to 106l.1s.4d.but taking the computation only for these twenty-three years last past,viz.from the year 1734, (when by an order of the general court, a part of their yearly income was appropriated for augmenting their claims whenever they should happen to be under 100l.) the quantum of such claims from the year 1734 to 1757, have amounted upon an average to 120l.9s.1d.and so considerable has been the increase of the dividends for these nine years last past, that each claim, during that period, has been advanced upon an average to 142l.6s.5d.

However, at a general court held May 12, 1757, an order was made for farther augmenting the dividends on claims, so as that for the future they will not be less than 125l.each claim, but yet may happen to be considerably more, which has been the case of several former years.

The advantages from becoming members of this society are such as follow:

To clergymen, physicians, surgeons, lawyers, tradesmen, and particularly persons possessed of places or employments for life: to such parents, husbands, or wives, and other relations, whose income is subject to be determined or diminished at their respective deaths, who by insuring their lives by means of this Society, may now in all events leave to their families a claim, or right, to receive a sum not less than 125l.for every five pounds annually paid in, and very probably a larger sum, as appears by the above account.

To married persons, more especially where a jointure, pension, or annuity depends on both or either of their lives, by insuring the life of the persons intitled to such annuity, pension or jointure.

To dependents upon any other person intitled to a salary, benefaction, or other means of subsistence, during the life of such person, whose life being insured in this society, either by themselves, or by the person upon whom they are dependent, will intitle them to receive upon the death of such person, a sum not less than 125l.for each number so insured.

To persons wanting to borrow money, who by insuring their lives, are enabled to give a collateral security for the money borrowed.

To creditors intitled to demands larger than their debtors are able to discharge, such debtors may, by a like insurance, secure to their creditors their principal sums at their deaths.

The abovementioned advantages are chiefly with respect to perpetual insurances for life; but temporary insurers may find no less advantage from this Society, as may plainly appear from the following instance,viz.A. B.has agreed for the purchase of an office or employment, but wants 300l.or 400l.to make up the purchase-money: he is willing to assign a share of the profits or income of his office, as a security or pledge for the repayment of the principal with interest, but cannot obtain a loan of that sum without insuring his life till the whole be cleared, which he is enabled to do by the help of this Society. For example; He purchases three numbers, on each of which he insures his life, and thereby his assigns become intitled to three several claims at his death; which claims, by the abovementioned provision, will not be less than 125l.each, and may probably amount to more: he assigns and deposits his policy with the lender: he pays to the Society for the yearly contributions on the three numbers no more than 5l.each, which is considerably less than 5l.per cent.under which rate no other office will insure, and that for one year only; at the end of which such offices are at liberty to refuse any further insurance: whereas in this Society the insurance continues during the life of the insured, unless excluded by the non-payment of the quarterly contributions. And every insurer, or their representatives, at the end of their insurance may in a great measure (if not entirely) reimburse themselves their purchase-money (originally paid by them for their numbers) by disposing of them at a market price, which they may do without any farther trouble than applying to the Society’s office.

The regulations of the Society are as follow:

All persons at the time of their admission are to be between the ages of twelve and forty-five, and must then appear to be in a good state of health.

Persons living in the country may be admitted by certificates and affidavit, forms of which may be had at the office.

Every claimant is impowered to put in a new life in the room of the deceased within twelve calendar months next after the end of the current year, for which his or her claim shall be allowed as often as the same shall happen, upon payment of 10s.entrance.

Any person may have two or three several insurances, or numbers, on one and the same life, whereby such persons will be intitled to a claim on each number so insured.

The affairs of the corporation are managed by a court of twelve directors annually chosen within forty days after every 25th of March; and the majority of the members assembled at a general court, which is never to consist of less than twenty, are impowered to make laws and ordinances for the good government of the corporation. The charter directs one of the members of the Society to be elected their Register, who being also their receiver and accomptant, is therefore required by the by-laws to give good security in the sum of 2000l.at least.

Five members of the Society are annually elected auditors, who are by their office to inspect every transaction of the Society, to examine all vouchers for receipts and payments, and upon oath to lay before the quarterly and annual general courts, the quarterly and annual accounts of the Society: and on the day before the holding each court of directors, the auditors are to state and enter in the directors minute book a balance of the cash of the Society.

Attendance is daily given at the Society’s office from nine in the morning, till two in the afternoon, holidays excepted.From the proposals printed by the Society.

Amsterdamcourt, Upper Shadwell.

Amyas’s almshousewas erected in George yard, Old street, in the year 1655, by Mrs. Susanna Amyas, for eight poor single men or women, who have an allowance of 4l.per annumeach; besides 6l.to furnish them all with coals, 1l.for water, and 1l.for one of the eight to read prayers daily.

Anabaptists, or, as they chuse to call themselves, Baptists. See an account of their several places of worship, under the articleBaptist.

Anchoralley. 1. Mint street,Southwark.* 2. Worcester place, Thames street.*

Anchor and Hopealley, Green bank, near Wapping.*

Anchorcourt, Anchor street, Spitalfields.*

Anchorlane, Thames street.*

Anchorstreet. 1. By Webb’s square, Spitalfields.* 2. Thames street.*

Anchoryard, Barnaby street, Southwark.*

Anderson’syard, Oxford street.†

St. Andrew’sHolborn, a plain but not inelegant church, situated on the south side of Holborn, and at the corner of Shoe lane. It is dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle, who was distinguished by being the first person Christ called for a disciple; and his suffering martyrdom in Achaia. There was a church in this place called by the name of the same Apostle, so early as the year 1297. The old church escaped the flames in the dreadful fire of London, that proved fatal to so many others; but ten years after being found too ruinous for repair, was taken down in 1687, and the present structure erected in its place, except the tower, which was not finished till the year 1704.

This church has a considerable space before it, which is entered by a handsome pair of iron gates. It is a neat edifice, with two series of windows, and a handsome balustrade round the top. The tower, which rises square, consists only of two stages, and round the top is a balustrade with a pinacle at each corner; on the crown of each is placed a pine apple, from which rises the fanes. On the inside, the church is extremely neat and well finished.

The living is a rectory, said to be worth 600l.a year, in the patronage of the Duke of Montague.Stow, Maitland, English architecture.

St.Andrew’scourt, Holborn hill, so called from the above church.

St.AndrewHubbard, a church which stood between St. Botolph’s lane, and Love lane, in Little Eastcheap, where the King’s weigh-house now stands; but being destroyed by the fire of London, and not rebuilt, the parish was united to that of St. Mary at Hill.

St.AndrewUndershaft, at the corner of St. Mary Ax in Leadenhall street, and in Aldgate ward. There stood in this place a church dedicated to the same Saint so early as in 1362, which was pulled down in the year 1532, and the present structure erected in its room. It obtained the name ofUndershaftfrom a may-pole, which was anciently called a shaft, being annually raised in the street near it on May-day, and was taller than the steeple.

This church is a plain gothic structure, with a well enlightened body, and a square tower terminated by battlements, with pinacles at the corners, within which rises a turret that contains the bell. It is a rectory, in the patronage of the Bishop of London. The Incumbent receives 120l.a year by tithes.

St.AndrewWardrobe, on the east side of Puddledock hill, in Castle Baynard ward, took its name from a great royal wardrobe erected there in the reign of King Edward III. There was a church on the same spot dedicated to St. Andrew in the year 1322: but the present structure was not built till the year 1670, when it was erected in the place of one burnt by the fire of London. The body is enlightened by two rows of windows, and the tower has neither turret, pinacles nor spire.

This church is a rectory, in the gift of the Crown, and to this parish that of St. Ann’s Black Friars is annexed. The Rector receives by act of parliament 140l.a year in lieu of tithes.Newc. Repert. Eccles.

Angelalley. 1. Fore street, Lambeth.* 2. King’s street, St. James’s square.* 3. Shoe lane.* 4. Gray’s Inn lane.* 5. Long acre.* 6. Aldersgate street.* 7. Redcross street.* 8. Whitecross street, Cripplegate.* 9. Charterhouse lane.* 10. Coleman street.* 11. Fenchurch street.* 12. Leadenhall street.* 13. Houndsditch.* 14. Little Moorfields.* 15. Bishopsgate street.* 16. Golden lane, Old street.* 17. Stony lane, Petticoat lane. 18. Whitechapel.* 19. Brick lane, Spitalfields.* 20. Ratcliff highway.* 21. Nightingale lane, East Smithfield.* 22. Pepper Alley, Southwark.* 23. Coal Harbour, Thames street.*

Angelcourt. 1. King’s street, St. James’s square.* 2. Drury lane.* 3. Charing Cross.* 4. Charterhouse lane alley.* 5. Aldersgate street.* 6. Friday street.* 7. Grub street.* 8. Camomile street.* 9. Bishopsgate street without.* 10. Lamb alley, Bishopsgate street.* 11. Angel alley, Aldersgate street.* 12. Foul lane, in the Borough.* 13. Great Windmill street.* 14. King’s Bench alley, Southwark.* 15. Redcross street in the Park, Southwark.* 16. Leadenhall street.* 17. Little Elbow lane.* 18. New Gravel lane.* 19. Redcross street, Cripplegate.* 20. Little Old Bailey.* 21. Snowhill.* 22. Long acre.* 23. Long ditch, Westminster.* 24. Near St. James’s square.* 25. St. Martin’s lane, Charing cross.* 26. Near Surrey street in the Strand.* 27. Throgmorton street.* 28. White’s alley, Rosemary lane.* 29. Stony lane, Petticoat lane.* 30. Shoe lane.*

Angelhill, Oxford street.*

Angelstreet. 1. St. Martin’s le grand.* 2. Little Moorfields.* 3. St. George’s fields, Southwark.*

Angel and Sugarloafyard, in the Minories.*

St.Ann’salley, Noble street, Foster lane.

Ann’salley, East Smithfield.

St.Ann’sAldersgate, on the north side of St. Ann’s lane, in the ward of Aldersgate within, is dedicated to St. Ann the mother of the Virgin Mary. The old church in this place perished in the fire 1666, and the present was raised in its place about three years after. It is a very plain edifice: the body is enlightened by a few large windows, cased with rustic. The tower, which is very plain, is also strengthened at the corners with rustic, and from its top rises a turret and spire.

The church is a rectory in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and the parish of St. John Zachary is annexed to it. The Rector receives 140l.per annum, in lieu of tithes.

St.Ann’sBlack Friars, stood on the east side of Churchyard alley, in the precinct of Black Friars, and the ward of Faringdon without; but having suffered in the fatal calamity of 1666, and not being rebuilt, the parish was annexed to that St. Andrew Wardrobe.

St.Ann’sLimehouse, arose from the great increase of houses and inhabitants, by which the village of Limehouse, a hamlet of Stepney, became joined to the metropolis, and it was resolved that here should be one of the fifty new churches appointed by act of parliament to be built within the bills of mortality. The foundation was laid in the year 1712, and the present structure finished in 1729; but the inhabitants of this hamlet not applying to parliament to have it erected into a parish till the year 1729, it was not consecrated till 1730. This hamlet and part of that of Ratcliff, having been constituted a distinct parish from that of Stepney, the sum of 3500l.was given by parliament to be laid out in fee simple towards the support of the Rector; besides which the church wardens were to pay him annually the sum of 60l.to be raised by burial fees.

This church is of a very singular construction, the body is not one plain building, but is continued under separate portions. The door under the tower has a portico, covered with a dome supported by pilasters, and to this door there is an ascent by a flight of plain steps. Its square tower has a large Corinthian window adorned with columns and pilasters. The corners of the tower are also strengthened by pilasters, which on their tops support vases. The upper stage of the tower is plain, and extremely heavy, and from this part rises a turret at each corner, and a more lofty one in the middle.

The advowson of this rectory, which is not to be held in commendam, is in the Principal and Scholars of King’s hall, and Brazen-nose College, Oxford.Maitland.

St.Ann’sSoho, owes its foundation to the same cause as the former, the increase of public buildings; the inhabitants of the parish of St. Martin’s in the Fields became much too numerous to be contained in the church, and therefore applying to parliament, this was erected in the year 1686, in a spot of ground then called Kemp’s Field, and the parish to which it belongs was separated from St. Martin’s in 1678.

The walls of this church are of brick with rustic quoins. The tower, which is square, is strengthened with a kind of buttresses, and at the springing of the dome, which supports the lanthorn, there are urns on the corners with flames. The lanthorn, which is formed of arches, is surrounded with a balustrade at the bottom, and a turret over it is well shaped, and crowned with a globe and fane.

The advowson of this church is settled upon the Bishop of London, and the Rector; instead of tithes, receives from the parishioners 100l.a year, which, together with the glebe, surplice fees, and Easter book, amount to about 300l.per annum.Maitland.

St.Ann’scourt, Dean street, Soho.☐

Ann’scourt, East Smithfield.

AnonymousNew street, Coverlead’s fields.

Anson’salley, Broad St. Giles’s.†

St.Antholin’sChurch yard, Budge row.

St.Anthony, vulgarly calledSt.Antholin’s, Budge row, a plain but well-proportioned church, with a neat spire. The former church in this place was destroyed by fire in 1666, and the present edifice finished in 1682. It is built of stone, and is of the Tuscan order, firm and massy. The length of the church is 66 feet, and the breadth 54. The roof is a cupola of an elliptic form, enlightened by four port hole windows, and supported by composite columns. The steeple consists of a tower, and a neat spire.

The living is a rectory, with the parish of St. John Baptist annexed to it, and the advowson is in the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s. The Rector receives 120l.a year in lieu of tithes.

St.Anthony’s HospitalandSchool, an ancient foundation in Threadneedle street. See theFrench episcopal churchin Threadneedle street.

Antilopealley, King’s street Westminster.*

Antiquarian Society.A society of Antiquaries was formed in this city about the year 1580, by some of the most learned men in the kingdom: but having been frequently interrupted and discontinued, very little can be said concerning the same till the year 1717, when it was again revived by a number of gentlemen studious of antiquity in general, but more particularly desirous to obtain all possible knowledge of the antiquities of their own country. With this view they agreed to meet one evening in every week under certain regulations; they encouraged correspondencies with all parts of the kingdom; they subscribed an annual sum to defray the expence of engraving on copper-plates, what should be thought deserving to be so preserved, and limited their number to 100. And in this manner they continued their weekly meeting with great reputation, till his Majesty King George II. was graciously pleased to grant them a royal charter of incorporation, dated Nov. 2, 1751; and to declare himself their founder and patron.

Under this charter they became a body corporate, by the name of the Society of Antiquaries of London, with a power to have and use a common seal, to sue and be sued, and to take, hold, and enjoy by purchase, gift, or otherwise, any lands, tenements or hereditaments, not exceeding in the whole 1000l.per annum. And it is therein directed, that the Council of the said Society shall at all times consist of 21 persons, the President for the time being always to be one; and the said charter appoints Martin Folkes, Esq; to be the first President, and also 20 other persons therein named to be the first Council, empowering them within two months from the date thereof, to nominate, chuse and admit, as Fellows of the said Society, such persons as shall excel in the knowledge of the antiquities and history of this and other nations, and be eminent for piety, virtue, integrity and loyalty. This first President and Council are to continue till the 23d day of April next ensuing, on which day, in every year thereafter, the Council and Fellows are to assemble to nominate and elect a President, and Council for the ensuing year; and it is particularly directed that eleven of the former Council shall be continued, and ten other persons chosen out of the members of the Society: ten and no more of the Council being to be changed annually. The President is empowered to nominate four persons of the Council to be his Deputies, and supply his place in case of sickness or absence, and the President, Council, Fellows, or any twenty-one or more, are empowered to make statutes, rules, orders and by-laws, for the government and direction of the said Society, their estates, goods, &c. and for the admission and amoval of all and every the members and officers thereof. And the President, Council and Fellows, may appoint treasurers, secretaries and clerks, may have and employ one serjeant at mace, and such other servants as they think necessary. And lastly, if any abuses or differences shall arise, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Lord Chancellor or Keeper of the Great Seal, the Lord Privy Seal, and the two Secretaries of State for the time being, are appointed Visitors, with full power for any three of them to compose and redress such differences and abuses: provision is also made to fill up any vacancies that may happen by the death of the President or any of the Council.

On the receipt of this charter, the first President and Council nominated and admitted, by a writing dated the 14th of November 1751, all the former members, together with some others, in the whole 121, to be Fellows of the said Society of Antiquaries of London, and soon after drew up a body of statutes for the good government thereof, which, was unanimously agreed to and confirmed in the month of July 1752.

It was herein enacted, that the number of members should not exceed 150, but that number being very soon filled up, and several men of quality and fortune, as well as persons of great learning and eminence, being continually applying to become members, which they could not be till vacancies should happen by death, the Society thought proper in the year 1755, to enlarge their number to 180, (to which they are limited at present) exclusive of Peers, Privy Councillors and Judges, that should be chosen after that time. A little before this the Society gave up the management of their estate and revenues, the payment of monies, and the publication of their papers and drawings, (which before were in the body in general, and thereby attended with many inconveniences,) entirely to the care of their Council, which are now a standing committee for that purpose; and thereby the government of this Society is become nearly the same as that of the Royal Society, which was doubtless a proper pattern to copy after.

On the 23d of April, being St. George’s day, the Society annually elect their Council and officers,viz.a President, a Treasurer, two Secretaries, and a Director, who has the care of all their publications. Then the President appoints four of the Council to be his Deputies or Vice-presidents: and after the election is over, the Society dine together at their own expence. Martin Folkes, Esq; was annually elected President till his death in 1754, since which time the Rt. Hon. Lord Willoughby of Parham has been every year chosen.

Every person desirous to be elected a Fellow of this Society, except Peers, Privy Counsellors, or Judges of Great Britain or Ireland, must be recommended by three or more of the members, in a paper signed by themselves, specifying the name, addition, profession, and chief qualification of the candidate, and also the place of his abode. When this has been read at one of the Society’s meetings, and then hung up in their public room during the time of four other meetings, the election is determined by ballot. Peers, Privy Counsellors, and judges of Great Britain or Ireland, if proposed by any single member, must be balloted for immediately. Every new member must pay an admission fee of five guineas, and sign the obligation, whereby he promises, that he will to the utmost of his power promote the honour and interest of the Society, and observe the statutes and orders thereof. Which being done he is led up to the chair, when the President or Vice-President rising, takes him by the hand and says these words,viz.I do, by the authority and in the name of the Society of Antiquaries of London, admit you a Fellow thereof.

Every member must further pay one guinea annually for the use of the Society, or ten guineas at once in lieu of all contributions.

The meetings of this Society are on Thursday evenings weekly, from about six till nine o’clock, at their house in Chancery lane: their business is to receive, read and consider all informations from their own members, or others, concerning the Antiquities of all nations, (for which purpose they admit eminent foreigners to be correspondent members) but they more particularly attend to the study of the ancient history, customs, manners, grants, charters, coins, medals, camps, churches, cities, and all monuments whatever, ecclesiastical, military, or civil, which are found in or relate to Great Britain and Ireland. And the communications they have received concerning these matters must be very valuable, as may be judged by the many curious remains of antiquity they have caused to be engraven on copper-plates, and permitted lately to be sold; tho’ as yet they have not thought fit to publish any of their dissertations. They have a small but choice library, which is increasing daily, also a fine collection of prints and drawings.


Back to IndexNext