Chapter 10

St. Dunstan in the East.S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.

St. Dunstan in the East.S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.

St. Dunstan in the East.S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.

St.Dunstan’sin the East, a church situated on the west side of St. Dunstan’s hill, Thames street, is dedicated to St. Dunstan Archbishop of Canterbury, an implacable enemy and cruel persecutor of the secular clergy, in favour of the regulars; and the additional epithetthe East, is given it, to distinguish it from St. Dunstan’s in Fleet street. This church was repaired at a great expence in 1633, and in 1666 suffered greatly by the fire of London; but not being totally destroyed, the church was thoroughlyrepaired in eighteen months; but the steeple was delayed ten years longer. The style of the building is the modern Gothic. It is 87 feet in length, 63 in breadth, and the roof is 33 feet high; it is well enlightened, and agreeably disposed within. The steeple is 125 feet high, and is well constructed in the Gothic manner: the tower is light, supported by outworks at the angles; it is divided into three stages, and terminated at the corners by four handsome pinacles, in the midst of which rises the spire, not from a solid base, but on the narrow crowns of four Gothic arches, a base so seemingly insecure, that it fills the mind with apprehensions of its falling with the first tempest, and yet is perhaps able to stand for ages. This tower, which is extremely light and elegant, was built by Sir Christopher Wren. The placing the spire on the top of four arches, as the print shews, is esteemed a bold attempt in architecture, and is one proof, among many, of the great geometrical skill of the architect.

This church is a rectory, and one of the thirteen peculiars in this city belongingto the archiepiscopal see of Canterbury. The Rector receives 200l.a year in lieu of tithes.

St.Dunstan’sin the West, on the north side of the west end of Fleet street, is dedicated to the same Saint as the former, from which it is distinguished by the epithetthe West. It appears to have been built four or five hundred years, since there are accounts of funerals and donations to it from the year 1421, with earlier anecdotes of little consequence; and it is easy to see that it has been repaired and altered at different periods, till the original style, whatever it was, is lost. It narrowly escaped the fire in 1666, the flames stopping within three houses of it. This edifice, in a very disagreeable manner, stands out into the street, and as it has been observed, is but an incumbrance to the way, and without having any thing but deformity itself, spoils the beauty of the whole street, and hides the prospect of Temple Bar, which would terminate the view very advantageously, and be seen almost as far again as it is at present. The church consists of a large body, and a small tower, every way unproportioned. Theshops, which are in a kind of sheds below it, make, as it were, a part of the building. The clock projects to the south near the west end, and for the amusement of the gaping vulgar, two human figures are placed in a kind of Ionic loggia, and by means of clock work, strike two bells hung over them, and declare the hour and quarters.English Architecture.

This church was originally a rectory in the patronage of the convent of Westminster; though it afterwards became a vicarage, and being granted by King Edward VI. to the Lord Dudley, has ever since continued in lay hands. The Vicar receives 240l.a year in lieu of tithes.Maitland.

St.Dunstan’sStepney. SeeStepney.

Dunstan’scourt, 1. Fleet street.☐ 2. Little Old Bailey.

Dustan’ssquare, Whitechapel.

Dunster’scourt, Mincing lane.†

Durhamcourt, Trinity lane.

Durhamyard, 1. Chick lane. 2. In the Strand; from Durham House, built by Dr. Beck Bishop of Durham.Camden’s Britannia.

Durhams, in Middlesex, two miles north of Barnet, a seat which the Earl of Albemarlebought of Sir John Austin, and has since greatly beautified, by laying most of the neighbouring fields belonging to it into a park, and by turning and repairing the roads. The house is situated on an eminence that rises in a small valley, surrounded with pretty high hills at a little distance, so that in the summer months it affords an agreeable retreat; but the soil around it being a stiff clay, the rain which falls in winter is detained on its surface, and renders the situation very moist and cold.

DutchAlmshouse, in White’s alley, Moorfields, was erected by Samuel Shepherd, Esq; an eminent Dutch merchant, for twenty-eight poor ancient women of his nation, each of whom has an allowance of 3s.a week, and 12s.to buy a gown every other year.Maitland.

DutchAlmshouse, in Moorfields. About the year 1704, the Dutch congregation in Austin Friars purchased a piece of ground in Middle Moorfields, and erected upon it a handsome almshouse, containing twenty-six rooms for maintaining their poor, whether men or women, besides a room where the Elders and Deacons meet weekly to pay the pensions of those in the house, and to transact otherbusiness relating to the poor. The pensions are either more or less, according as their necessities may require; and the rooms are not so appropriated to the Dutch nation, but that any English woman, the widow of a Dutchman who had been a member of that church, is capable of being admitted; and it often happens, that there are more English than Dutch supported here.

Dutch Furlongrow, Clerkenwell.

Dutchylane, in the Strand.

Dutchy of Lancastercourt. SeeLancaster.

Duxfordlane, Thames street.

Dyers, anciently one of the twelve principal companies, was incorporated by letters patent granted by Edward IV. in the year 1742, when this society among other privileges, obtained that of keeping swans upon the river Thames.

This corporation consists of two Wardens, thirty Assistants, and 147 Liverymen, who upon their admission, pay a fine of 15l.

Their hall, which was formerly situated near Old Swan lane, Thames street, being destroyed by the dreadful conflagration in 1666, and a number of warehouses erected in its place, the companyhave converted one of their houses in Little Elbow lane, Dowgate hill, into a hall to transact their affairs in.Maitland.

Dyersalley, Brick lane, Spitalfields.

DyersAlmshouse, in Dyer’s buildings, Holborn, was erected by the Dyers company, and contains eight rooms for so many poor women, who are only allowed two pence per week, an evident proof of the antiquity of the foundation.

The Dyers have another almshouse in St. John’s street, near Spitalfields, erected by the master Dyers for the benefit of six poor widows, each of whom is allowed 1l.10s.a year.

Dyer’sbuildings, Holborn.

Dyer’scourt, 1. Aldermanbury. 2. Holborn hill. 3. Noble street, Foster lane.

Dyer’sCourt rents, Dowgate hill.

Dyer’syard, 1. Church lane, Whitechapel. 2. Old Bethlem. 3. Whitechapel.

Dyotstreet, St. Giles’s Broad street.


Back to IndexNext