F.
Court ofFacultiesandDispensations, in Doctors Commons, under the Archbishop of Canterbury. When the papal power was abolished in England by King Henry VIII. this court was established by act of parliament, that the Archbishop in the Pope’s stead, might grant dispensations and indulgences for eating flesh upon prohibited days; for marrying without banns or on holydays; for a son to succeed his father in his benefice; for a plurality of livings, non-residence, and other cases of the like nature. To this court belongs an officer calledMagister ad Facultates, and a register.
Fager’salley, Turnmill street†
Fairstreet, Horselydown.
St.Faith’s, a parish church once under the east end or choir of St. Paul’s cathedral. It owes its name to its being dedicated to St. Faith, orSancta Fides, a French virgin of the city of Agen, in the province of Aquitain, who is said to have suffered martyrdom in the reign of the Emperor Dioclesian, for refusing to sacrifice to idols. No records however remain of the antiquity of this church,in which several persons of note were formerly interred, nor is it known at what time divine service was performed in it, other than by chauntry priests for the souls of their departed benefactors. This church however having suffered with St. Paul’s cathedral, it was thought proper entirely to demolish it, and to unite the parish to that of St. Austin’s.
Falconalley, 1. Barnaby street.* 2. King street, Westminster.* 3. Redcross street.*
Falconcourt, 1. In the Borough.* 2. Fleet street.* 3. Lothbury.* 4. Near Rag street, Clerkenwell.* 5. Shoe lane.* 6. Shoemaker row, Aldgate.*
FalconInn yard, St. Margaret’s hill.*
Falconlane, 1. Falcon stairs.* 2. Maiden lane, Southwark.*
Falconrow, 1. Codpiece row.* 2. Fleet street.* 3. Long lane, Southwark.* 4. Lothbury.* 5. St. Margaret’s hill.* 6. Shoe lane.* 7. White street.*
Falconstairs, Gravel lane.*
Falconyard, 1. Kent street.* 2. Shoemaker row, Aldgate.* 3. Tooley street.*
Falconbridgecourt, Hog lane, St. Giles’s.†
Falconer’salley, 1. Cow Cross, West Smithfield.† 2. Cross street, by Lukener’s lane.† 3. Turnmill street.†
Fancourt, St. Michael’s lane.
Fanmakers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by Queen Anne, in the year 1709. This fraternity is governed by a Master, two Wardens, and twenty Assistants; but they have neither hall nor livery.Maitland.
Fann’salley, 1. Goswell street.† 2. Webb’s square.†
Faringdon WardWithin, received its name from William Farendon and Nicolas his son, who had the government of all this ward for the space of eighty-two years; and it received the addition ofwithin, on account of this part of Faringdon ward lying within the walls. It is bounded on the north by Aldersgate ward, Cripplegate ward, and the liberty of St. Martin’s le Grand; on the west by Faringdon without, on the south by Castle Baynard ward, and the river Thames; and on the east by Castle Baynard ward, and Cheap ward.
The principal streets and lanes in this ward are, Newgate street, the west side of Warwick lane, Ave Mary lane, Paternoster row, Ivy lane, St. Paul’s church yard, Ludgate street, and Black Friars.
The most remarkable buildings are, St. Paul’s cathedral, St. Vedast in Fosterlane, Christ Church in Newgate street, St. Martin’s Ludgate, and St. Matthew’s Friday street; the college of Physicians, Stationers hall, Apothecaries hall, Sadlers hall, Embroiderers hall, and Scots hall; St. Paul’s school, Christ Church hospital, and Ludgate.
This ward is governed by an Alderman, his Deputy, twelve Common Council men, eighteen wardmote inquest men, eighteen scavengers, seventeen constables and a beadle; and the jury returned by the inquest for this ward serve in the courts of Guildhall in the month of September.
Faringdon WardWithout, is the farthest ward to the west of the city, and is bounded on the north by the Charterhouse, the parish of St. James Clerkenwell, and part of St. Andrew’s parish without the freedom; on the west, by High Holborn and St. Clement’s parish in the Strand; on the south, by the Thames; and on the east, by the ward of Faringdon within, the precinct of St. Bartholomew near Smithfield, and the ward of Aldersgate.
The principal places in this ward are, Smithfield, Cloth Fair, Bartholomew Close, Snow hill, and all Holborn upto the Bars, Hatton Garden, Leather lane, and Brook street; the Old Bailey, Ludgate hill, Fleet ditch and market, Shoe lane, Fetter lane, Fleet street, White Friars, and Salisbury court.
The most remarkable buildings are, the Temple, Serjeants Inn, Clifford’s, Barnard’s and Thavie’s Inns, Temple Bar, Bridewell hospital, St. Bartholomew’s hospital, Fleet prison, Surgeon’s hall; and the parish churches of St. Bartholomew the Great, St. Bartholomew the Less, St. Sepulchre’s, St. Andrew’s Holborn, St. Dunstan’s in the west, and St. Bride’s.
This ward being so very extensive is parted into three divisions, and is governed by an Alderman, and three Deputies, sixteen Common Council men, forty-four inquest men, fifteen scavengers, and fifteen constables. The jury returned by the inquest in this ward serve in the several courts of Guildhall in the month of June.
Farmer’salley, 1. Gardiner’s lane.† 2. Hog lane, St. Giles’s.†
Farmer’scourt, Ivy street.†
Farmer’sstreet, Shadwell.†
Farr’salley, St. Giles’s.†
Farr’srents, Rotherhith wall.†
Farr’syard, Whitecross street.†
Farrant’syard, Rotherhith wall.†
Farriers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King Charles II. in the year 1673, and governed by a Master, three Wardens, twenty-four Assistants, and seventy-six Liverymen, each of whom, upon their admission, pay a fine of 5l.but they have no hall.Maitland.
Farrier’syard, 1. In the Minories. 2. Stoney lane.
Farthingalley, 1. East Smithfield. 2. Jacob street, Rotherhith. 3. In the Maze.
Farthingfields, 1. New Gravel lane.║ 2. Old Gravel lane.║
Farthingstreet, Phenix street, Spitalfields.║
Fashionstreet, Artillery lane, Spitalfields.
Faustin’scourt, Bowl alley, St. Giles’s.† 2. Vinegar lane, Drury lane.†
Feathersalley, 1. Bedfordbury.* 2. Holborn.* 3. Long Acre.* 4. St. Martin’s lane, Charing Cross.* 5. In the Strand.*
Featherscourt, 1. Bury court, Piccadilly.* 2. Drury lane.* 3. Fox court, Gray’s Inn lane.* 4. High Holborn.* 5. Milk street, Cheapside.*
Featherstone’sbuildings, High Holborn.†
Featherstone’scourt, Featherstone street.†
Featherstonestreet, Bunhill row.†
Fellcourt, Fell street.†
Fellstreet, Little Wood street.†
Fell’sAlmshouse, at Blackwall, was erected by Capt. Fell for the accommodation of four poor families, but without any allowance for their support.
FellowshipPorters. SeePorters.
Feltmakers.The Felt hat-makers being anciently a branch of the company of Haberdashers of hats, they applied in the year 1576 for an exclusive charter; but being opposed by the Haberdashers, their endeavours proved abortive; but at last all disputes being adjusted, they were separately incorporated by letters patent granted by King James I. in the year 1604. They are governed by a Master, four Wardens, and twenty-five Assistants, with a livery of sixty members, who at their admission pay a fine of 5l.each, but they have no hall.Maitland.
Fencourt, 1. Fenchurch street. 2. St Michael’s lane.†
Fenchurchbuildings, Fenchurch street.
Fenchurchstreet, Gracechurch street. It took its name from the Lang-bourn, a rivulet or bourn, that arose near the place which is now Magpye alley, and spreading near the spring head, rendered the contiguous street so moorish or fenny, especially about the church, which stood in the broad way between Mincing lane and Rood lane, that it from thence obtained the name of Fenchurch street.Maitland.
Fenwick’scourt, High Holborn.
Fetcham, a village near Leatherhead, where is the seat of Thomas Revel, Esq; on which no cost has been spared to render a most beautiful situation by nature, more delightful by art.
Fetterlane, Fleet street, in old writings called Feuter lane; it was then what Drury lane is now.
Fetter Lanecourt, Bernard’s Inn.
Fieldcourt, Gray’s Inn.
Fieldlane, Holborn hill.
Figtreecourt, 1. Barbican.‡ 2. Inner Temple.‡
Figtreeyard, Maudlin’s rents.‡
Finchlane, Cornhill.†
Finchley, a village in Middlesex between Hendon and Coneyhatch, is seven miles north of London.
Finsbury, Moorfields, formerly called Fensbury, from a neighbouring fen or moor.Maitland.
Finsbury Courts, in this place the steward of the manor holds a court leet and court baron, in which are transacted the business peculiar to each court.
Finsburyyard, Chiswell street.
Fire Office.See the particular names by which they are distinguished, asHand in Hand,Sun Fire Office,Union, &c.
Fireballalley, Houndsditch.
Fireballcourt, 1. Houndsditch. 2. First Postern, London Wall.
First Fruits Office, in the Middle Temple, is under the Remembrancer of the first fruits, under whom is a Deputy and senior clerk, a Receiver, and a Deputy Receiver of the first fruits; a Receiver of the tenths, and his clerk, and a Comptroller of the first fruits and tenths.
Fish Marketcourt, Bloomsbury.
Fish Streethill, Gracechurch street.
Fishyard, 1. St. Margaret’s lane. 2. Pudding lane.
Fishermen, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King James II. in the year 1687, by the name ofThefree Fishermen of London; but it does not appear that they have either livery or arms: They have however a hall in Thames street.
Fisher’salley, 1. Hide street, Bloomsbury.† 2. Rosemary lane.† 3. Water lane, Fleet street.†
Fisher’sAlmshouse, in the Dog row, near Mile end, was erected by Capt. Fisher, in the year 1711, for the widows of six masters of ships, for whose support he settled upon it an estate of 40l.a year; and committed the trust of it to the fraternity of the Trinity House.
To this edifice are since added two additional rooms, the ground for which was purchased by Sir Charles Wager, and these rooms built by Sir William Ogborne in the year 1728. The two widows who live in these, have each an allowance of 16s.a month, and 20s.per annumfor coals.
Fisher’scourt, Eagle street, Holborn.†
Fisher’srents, Broad street, Old Gravel lane.†
Fisher’sstreet, Red Lion square.†
Fishmongers.These as well as the other persons concerned in furnishing the city with provisions, were anciently under the immediate direction of the court of LordMayor and Aldermen, and these magistrates had this power confirmed by an act of parliament in the seventh of Richard II. in the year 1384. At that time the dealers in fish consisted of two communities, viz. the salt-fish, and stock-fishmongers, though they were not incorporated till afterwards, the former in 1433, and the latter in 1509. But this division proving prejudicial to the profession in general, they united, and were incorporated by letters patent, granted by Henry VIII. in the year 1536.
This is one of the twelve principal companies, and is governed by a Prime and five other Wardens, twenty-eight Assistants, and 140 Liverymen, who upon their admission pay a fine of 13l.6s.8d. This corporation pays to charitable uses about 800l.per annum.
Fishmongers Hall, situated in Thames street, a little above the Bridge, and has a view of the river. The entrance from Thames street is by a handsome passage which leads into a large square court, paved with flat stones, and encompassed by the great hall, the court room for the Assistants, and other grand apartments, with galleries; these are of an handsome construction, and are supportedby Ionic columns, with an arcade. The front next the Thames has been lately repaired and ornamented at a very great expence. The ascent to the first apartments is by a double flight of steps from the wharf; the door is adorned with Ionic columns, and these support an open pediment, in which is a shield with the arms of the company; the windows are ornamented with stone cases, and the quoins of the building are wrought with a handsome rustic, and in the whole of this front there is a great deal of solid beauty.
Fishmongersalley, 1. St. Margaret’s hill. 2. Fenchurch street.
FishmongersAlmshouses, handsome buildings at Newington Butts, founded and erected at different times. The most ancient is St. Peter’s hospital, a Gothic structure, built with brick and stone, with a brick wall before it, within which are two rows of tall trees, and behind the buildings a garden.
The entrance is by a pair of iron gates opening to the center of the building, which is lofty but very irregular. On the inside are two courts behind each other, in which is a hall with painted windows and a chapel.Inscriptions on the sides of these courts shew that they were built at different times.
To the south of this hospital is another founded by Mr. James Hulbert, a liveryman of the Fishmonger’s company, in the year 1719, whose statue is erected upon a pedestal; and in the wall which extends before both, are iron rails, to afford a view of this statue, the more modern hospital, erected by that gentleman, and the pleasant walks before it.
The Fishmongers company erected St. Peter’s hospital by virtue of letters patent granted by King James I. in the year 1618, for the reception of several of their poor members who had pensions bequeathed them by the wills of several members of the company: thirteen of whom were beadsmen and women of the company’s great benefactor Sir Thomas Knesworth, who in 1513 left them 8d.perweek each. Sir Thomas Hunt also in 1615 left 20l.10s.per annumtowards the support of six ancient poor men and women. Richard Edmunds in 1620 bequeathed an annual sum of 6l.towards the maintenance of two poor persons;which number of twenty-one pensioners, with one added by the company, were put into this hospital; and soon after Sir John Leman, Sir John Gayer, Mr. Harper, Arthur Mouse and Mrs. Anne Bromsgrove, by their respective wills demised several sums to the amount of 28l.per annum.
Each of the twenty-two almspeople have two rooms, and an allowance of 3s.per week, 15s.at Christmas, a chaldron of coals and a gown yearly. And one of the pensioners, who reads prayers twice a day in the chapel has an additional allowance of 2l.per annum.
The more modern structure was, as we have already said, founded by Mr. James Hulbert, citizen and fishmonger, for the accommodation of twenty poor men and women; who besides two neat rooms to live in, have each an allowance of 3s.a week, one chaldron of coals, a gown every year, and 10s.at Christmas.
Fitche’scourt, Noble street, Foster lane.†
Fitzer’swharf, Shadwell.†
Five Bellalley, Little Moorfields.*
Five Bellcourt, Leadenhall street.*
Five Feetlane, 1. Barnaby street. 2. Broad street. 3. Thames street; so calledbecause the west end was but five feet broad.Stow.
Five Fields, Chelsea.
Five Fieldsrow, Chelsea.
Five Footalley, 1. Old Gravel lane. 2. Petty France, Westminster.
Five Footcourt, Old Fish street hill.
Five Inkhornalley, Whitechapel.*
Five Inkhorncourt, 1. Petticoat lane.* 2. Whitechapel.*
Five Pipealley, Pickleherring street.*
Flamptoncourt, Fore street.†
Fleececourt, Rose and Crown court, Moorfields.*
Fleeceyard, 1. Cornhill.* 2. Tothill street.*
Fleet Bridge, at the end of Fleet Ditch next the market. Since the filling up of Fleet Ditch, this can scarcely be termed a bridge; but as one of the walls of the bridge is still left, for the security of passengers, by preventing their falling into the ditch on that side, it still retains its ancient name.
Fleet Ditch, a part of the town ditch by which Turnmill brook, and the little river Fleet, fell into the Thames. In this ditch flood gates were erected in the year 1606; and after the fire of London, it was by order of the Mayor and court of Aldermen, cleansed, enlarged, andmade navigable, for barges to come up by the benefit of the tides, as far as Holborn Bridge, where Turnmill brook fell into this channel. The sides were built of stone and brick, with warehouses on each side, which ran under the street, and were designed to be used for laying in of coals, and other commodities. It had five feet water at the lowest tide at Holborn Bridge: the wharfs on each side of the channel were thirty-five feet broad; and were rendered secure from danger in the night by rails of oak being placed along the sides of the ditch. Over this canal were four bridges of Portland stone, viz. at Bridewell, Fleet street, Fleet lane, and Holborn. The whole expence of sinking, clearing, wharfing, planking and piling, with that of paving, posting and railing, amounted in the whole to 27,777l.besides what was paid to the several proprietors, whose grounds were taken for the enlargement of the wharfs and keys, on either side of the channel.Camden.Stow.
In digging this canal between Fleet prison and Holborn Bridge, several Roman utensils were discovered at the depth of fifteen feet; and, a little deeper, a great quantity of Roman coins in silver,copper, brass, and all other metals except gold. Those of silver were ring-money of several sizes, the largest about the bigness of a crown, but gradually decreasing; the smallest were about the size of a silver two-pence, each having a snip in the edge: and at Holborn Bridge were dug up two brazen Lares, or Houshold gods, about four inches in length, which were almost incrusted with a petrific matter: one of these was Bacchus, and the other Ceres: but the coins lying at the bottom of the current, their lustre was in a great measure preserved by the water incessantly washing off the corroding salt.
Probably the great quantity of coin found in this ditch, was thrown in by the Roman inhabitants of this city, for its preservation, at the approach of Boadicea, at the head of her army; but all the Roman citizens, without distinction of age or sex, being barbarously massacred by the justly enraged Britons, it was not discovered till this time. Besides the above mentioned antiquities, several things of a more modern date were discovered, as arrow heads, scales, seals, with the proprietors names upon them in Saxon characters; spur-rowels ofan hand’s breadth, keys and daggers coated over with a livid petrific rust; together with a considerable number of medals, with crosses, crucifixes, and Ave Maries engraven thereupon.Conyer’s MSS. in Sir Hans Sloane’s library in the Museum.
Fleet Ditch now extends no higher than Fleet Bridge, all above being arched, covered over, and converted into a market; and the building the fine bridge at Black Friars, will soon occasion all that is left of this ditch to be filled up.
Fleetlane, Old Bailey, extends to Fleet market.
Fleet Market, situated upon the canal called Fleet Ditch, was opened on the 30th of September 1737. Instead of stalls there are two rows of shops of a great length from north to south, with a handsome walk between, into which light is thrown by windows placed along the top; and in the center is a neat lanthorn with a clock; the whole of this part is paved with rag stones. On the south end, the fruiterers stands are made in the form of piazzas erected on each side, and these have proper conveniences to deposit their remaining stock.
Fleet Prison, is situated on the east side of Fleet market, and a little to the southof Fleet lane, and was originally so called from the river Fleet running by it. It is very large, and reckoned the best prison in the city for good rooms, and other conveniences. It has the benefit of an open yard, which is enclosed with a very high wall.
The keeper is called the Warden of the Fleet; and besides his fees from the prisoners for turning the key, for chamber rent, &c. which amount to a considerable sum, he has the rents of the shops in Westminster Hall.
This prison belongs to the court of Common Pleas, and hither persons are committed for contempt of orders, &c. in the high court of Chancery; or upon debt, when by a writ of Habeas Corpus they remove themselves thither from any other prison.
Therulesorlibertiesof theFleet, are all the north side of Ludgate hill, and the Old Bailey up to Fleet lane; down that lane into the market, and then turning the corner on the left, all the east side along by the Fleet prison to the bottom of Ludgate hill.
Fleetstreet, 1. From Fleet ditch to Temple Bar.☐ 2. Little George street, Spitalfields.
Fleet Streetcourt, 1. Fleet street.☐ 2. Little George street, Spitalfields.
Flemishcourt yard, Tower ditch.
Flemishgrounds, Tooley street.
Flemishhop gardens, Bedfordbury.
Fletchers, or Arrowmakers, from the French wordflèche, an arrow; though arrows have been near three centuries out of use in England, and though this is a company only by prescription and not by charter, they have nevertheless obtained a coat of arms and a livery; are become the thirty-ninth company in the city, and seem in all respects as firmly established, as those incorporated by letters patent.
This fraternity, which entirely consists of people of other trades, consists of two Wardens, ten Assistants, and twenty-five Liverymen, who, upon their admission, pay a fine of 10l.each. They have a small but convenient hall in St. Mary Ax.
Fletcher’scourt, Bembridge street.†
Flower and Deanstreet, Spitalfields.††
Flower de Lucealley, 1. Black Friars.* 2. Wheeler street.*
Flower de Lucecourt, 1. Black Friars.* 2. Cow Cross.* 3. Fleet street.* 4. Gray’s Inn lane.* 5. Grub street.* 6. Houndsditch.*7. Ludgate hill.* 8. St. Michael’s lane.* 9. Parish Garden lane.* 10. Tooley street.* 11. Turnmill street.*
Flower de Lucestreet, 1. Elder street.* 2. Wheeler street.*
Flower de Luceyard, 1. Gray’s Inn lane.* 2. Parish Garden lane.* 3. Tooley street.* 4. Turnmill street.*
Flying Horsecourt, 1. Fleet street.* 2. Grub street.* 3. Long alley.* 4. Maiden lane, Wood street.*
Flying Horseyard, 1. Bartholomew Close.* 2. Bishopsgate street. 3. Blackman street.* 4. Broad street.* 5. Dolphin alley.* 6. Fleet street.* 7. Half-moon alley, Moorfields.* 8. Houndsditch.* 9. Mare street, Hackney.
Fogwellcourt, Charterhouse lane.†
Folealley, Swan alley, East Smithfield.*
Folly, near St. Saviour’s Dock.║
Follylane, Neckinger lane, Rotherhith.║
Footalley, King street, Spitalfields.║
Foots Cray Place.S. Wale delin.B. Green sc. Oxon.
Foots Cray Place.S. Wale delin.B. Green sc. Oxon.
Foots Cray Place.S. Wale delin.B. Green sc. Oxon.
Foots Cray Place, in Kent, about twelve miles from London, is the seat of Bouchier Cleeve, Esq; and was built by himself, after a design of Palladio, of the Ionic order, and is very elegant. The original design had four porticoes, three of which are filled up to get more room. The hall is octagonal, andhas a gallery round which conveys you to the bed chambers. It is enlightened from the top, and is very beautiful. The edifice is built of stone, but the offices, which are on each side at some distance, are brick. The house stands on a rising ground, with a gradual descent from it till you come to the water, which from the house appears to be a small river gliding along through the whole length of the ground: and in that part of the water which is opposite to the house, there is a fine cascade constantly flowing out of it. But this water which appears to be such a pretty natural stream, is in reality artificial, and is brought from the river Cray which runs just by. When the canal or cut which is made through the ground to receive the water from the river is full, it forms the cascade before the house, by flowing over in that place, and the surplus water being instantly buried in the ground, is again conveyed away under this cut or canal to the main stream. The chief beauty of the ground about the house consists in its simplicity, it being entirely without ornament, and the whole of it a kind of lawn, having little besides the plain turf. The situation is pleasant, and the prospect from the house very good.The disposition of the rooms within the house appear to be very convenient, and the several apartments are elegantly finished and suitably furnished. The Chinese bed and other furniture of this kind in the principal bed chamber, is perfectly beautiful. The gallery, which extends the whole length of the north front of the house, is a very grand room, and is filled with pictures by the most eminent masters; and there are several other good pieces of this kind in the dining room and parlour, of all which the following is an exact list.
Pictures at Foots Cray Place.Common Parlour.
Pictures at Foots Cray Place.Common Parlour.
Pictures at Foots Cray Place.
Common Parlour.
Seven sea pieces, Vandeveldt.
A small Dutch kitchen, Calf.
Landscape, Wynantz.
Mocking Christ, Bassano.
View of the Rialto, Marieschi.
View of St. Mark’s place and Bull feast at Venice, Canaletti and Chimeroli.
Moon light, Vandeneer.
Emblematical picture, Gulio Carpioni.
Landscape under it, by Glauber; figures by Laress.
Doge’s palace, Carlovarin.
A sea port and market in Holland, Wenix.
Landscape by Glauber; figures by Laress. A smith’s shop, Old Wyke.
Oval landscape, Lambert.
Gallery West End.
Gallery West End.
Gallery West End.
Landscape morning, Claude Lorrain.
Ditto evening, ditto.
Venus and Cupid, Vandyke.
Landscape, Both.
North Front.
North Front.
North Front.
Adoration of the shepherds, Old Coloni.
Temple of the Muses, Romanelli.
Susanna and the Elders, Guercino.
Wolf and dogs, by Snyders; the landscape by Rubens.
Flower piece, Van Hysum.
Landscape, Wynantz.
Ditto, Swanevelt.
Flower piece, Van Hysum.
Abraham and Hagar, Rembrant.
Landscape, Paul Potter.
Jacob with his flocks, Rosa Tivoli.
Landscape, Gaspar Pousin.
Fruit piece, De Heem.
French King on horseback, by Vandermeulen.
Three horses mounted, Van Dyke.
East End.
East End.
East End.
Judgment of Paris, Giuseppe Chiari.
Landscape, Hobima.
Paradise, Tempesta.
Landscape, by Paul Brill; figures Annibale Carracci.
South Side.
South Side.
South Side.
Lapithæ and Centaurs, L. Giordano.
Landscape, Wouwerman.
Country wake, Teniers.
Landscape, Wouwerman.
View of Venice, Canaletti.
Holy family, Rubens.
Madona, Carlo Dolci.
Christ blessing St. Francis, Annibale Carracci.
Dead Christ, ditto.
Smith’s forge, Brouwer.
Cat and boys, Old Meris.
Dead game and figures, Snyders and Rubens.
Heraclitus and Democritus, Rembrant.
Sea piece, Vandeveldt.
Boy and goat, Vanderborch.
A view of the Rhone, Teniers.
Cattle, Adrian Vandeveldt.
Circumcision, Paul Veronese.
View in Venice, Canaletti.
Venus and Adonis, Rubens.
A Dutch lover, Jan Stein.
A view near Harlem, Ruysdale.
Presentation of Christ, Rembrant.
Miraculous draught of fishes, Teniers.
John Steen playing on a violin, himself.
Head, Hans Holbein.
Toilette, Metzu.
Drawing Room.
Drawing Room.
Drawing Room.
Temple of Delphos, Pietro de Cortona.
A retreat, Bourgognone.
Woman taken in adultery, Pordenoni.
Dead game, Fyt.
Field of battle, Bourgognone.
Diogenes, Salvator Rosa.
Landscape, Gaspar Pousin.
Dutchmen, Le Duck.
Boors drinking, Ostade.
Landscape, Gaspar Pousin.
Boys at cards, Morellio.
Faith, Hope, and Charity, by Lorhetto di Verona.
Inside of a church at Antwerp, by Denies; figures Old Franks.
Portrait, Rembrant.
Magdalen, Francisco Mola.
Democritus in the posture Hipocritus found him in near Abdera, by Salvator Rosa.
Admittance to see the house is by tickets from Mr. Cleeve, and the days are every Thursday during the summer season.
Fore Cloysteryard, Westminster Abbey.
Forecourt, 1. Bridewell, Fleet ditch.§2. Clement’s Inn.§ 3. Doctors Commons.§
Forestreet, 1. Lambeth. 2. Limehouse. 3. Moorgate.
Foreign Apposer’sOffice, in the Inner Temple, an office belonging to the Exchequer, where the Foreign Apposer apposes all Sheriffs, upon the schedules of the green wax.Chamberlain’s Present State.
Forister’sbuildings, Golden lane.†
Forman’salley, Old street.†
Forsan’srents, 1. Marigold lane.† 2. Vinegar yard, Drury lane.†
Fortstreet, by Gun street, Spitalfields.
Fortunecourt, Duke’s place.
Foster’slane, Cheapside; so called from St. Vedast’s or St. Foster’s church there.Maitland.
Foster’sbuildings, 1. Whitechapel.† 2. Whitecross street, Cripplegate.†
Foster’srents, 1. King John’s court.† 2. Liquorpond street.†
Foubert’spassage, Great Swallow street.†
Foullane, in the Borough.║
Founders, a company incorporated by letters patent of King James I. in the year 1614. They consist of a Master, two Wardens, 24 Assistants, and 132 Liverymen, who upon their admissionpay a fine of 8l.7s.6d. They have a convenient hall at the upper end of Founders court in Lothbury.
’Tis worthy of notice, that all makers of brass weights, within the city of London, and three miles round, are obliged to have their several weights sized by the company’s standard, and marked with their common mark; such of these as are Avoirdupois weights, are to be sealed at Guildhall, and those of Troy at Goldsmiths hall. The Founders company are also impowered by their charter to search for, and view all brass weights within the above district.
Founderscourt, 1. Fore street. 2. Lothbury; so called from having Founders hall in it.
FoundlingHospital, or more properlyThe Hospital for exposed and deserted Children, in Lamb’s Conduit fields. This is one of the most useful among the numerous charities that are an honour to this age and nation. In the reign of her late majesty Queen Anne, several eminent merchants, filled with compassion for the many innocent children who were daily exposed to misery and destruction, proposed to erect an hospital for the reception of such infants, as eitherthe misfortunes or inhumanity of their parents should leave destitute of other support; and to employ them in such a manner as to render them fit for the most laborious offices, and the lowest stations. With these laudable views they proposed a subscription, and sollicited a charter; but they sollicited in vain, from the ill-grounded prejudices of weak people, who conceived the opinion that such an undertaking would encourage persons in vice, by making too easy a provision for their illegitimate children.
However, though this suspended, it did not totally defeat this laudable design; some of these worthy persons left large benefactions for the use of such an hospital as soon as it should be erected; which coming to the ears of the humane and generous Mr. Thomas Coram, a commander of a ship in the merchants service, he left the sea to sollicit a charter for the establishment of this charity, and with unwearied assiduity spent all the remainder of his life in promoting this great design; from no other motive than his zeal for the public, and his compassion for the helpless innocents who were frequently droppedin the streets, or murdered to conceal the shame of their parents.
Before he presented any petition to his Majesty, he was advised to procure a recommendation of his design from some persons of quality and distinction. This he sollicited with unwearied diligence, by which means he procured the following memorial to be signed by the Ladies whose names are under-written.
“Whereas among the many excellent designs and institutions of charity which this nation, and especially the city of London, has hitherto encouraged and established, no expedient has yet been found out for preventing the frequent murders of poor miserable infants at their birth; or for suppressing the inhuman custom of exposing new-born infants to perish in the streets; or the putting out such unhappy foundlings to wicked and barbarous nurses, who, undertaking to bring them up for a small and trifling sum of money, do often suffer them to starve for want of due sustenance or care; or, if permitted to live, either turn them into the streets to beg or steal, or hire them out to loose personsby whom they are trained up in that infamous way of living, and sometimes are blinded, or maimed and distorted in their limbs, in order to move pity and compassion, and thereby become fitter instruments of gain to those vile merciless wretches.
“For a beginning to redress so deplorable a grievance, and to prevent as well the effusion of so much innocent blood, as the fatal consequences of that idleness, beggary, or stealing, in which such poor foundlings are generally bred up; and to enable them, by an early and effectual care of their education, to become useful members of the commonwealth: We, whose names are underwritten, being deeply touched with compassion for the sufferings and lamentable condition of such poor abandoned helpless infants, as well as the enormous abuses and mischiefs to which they are exposed; and in order to supply the government plentifully with useful hands on many occasions; and for the better producing good and faithful servants from amongst the poor and miserable cast-off children, or foundlings, now a pest to the public, and achargeable nuisance within the bills of mortality; and for settling a yearly income for their maintenance and proper education, till they come to a fit age for service; are desirous to encourage, and willing to contribute towards erecting an hospital for infants whom their parents are not able to maintain, and have no right to any parish; which we conceive will not only prevent many horrid murders, cruelties, and other mischiefs, and be greatly beneficial to the public; but will also be acceptable to God Almighty, as being the only remedy of such great evils, which have been so long neglected, though always complained of; provided due and proper care be taken for setting on foot so necessary an establishment, and a royal charter be granted by the King to such persons as his Majesty shall approve of, who shall be willing to become benefactors for the erecting and endowing such an hospital; and for the receiving the voluntary contributions of charitable and well-disposed persons; and for directing and managing the affairs thereofgratis, to the best advantage, under such regulationsas his Majesty, in his great wisdom, shall judge most proper for attaining the desired effect of our good intentions.”