Mr. Spencer’s.S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.
Mr. Spencer’s.S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.
Mr. Spencer’s.S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.
Green Dragonalley, 1. Narrow street,Limehouse.* 2. Surry street, in the Strand.* 3. By Wapping Wall.*
Green Dragoncourt, 1. Broadway, Westminster.* 2. Cow lane.* 3. Foul lane.* 4. New Crane, Wapping.* 5. Old Change.*
Green Dragonyard, 1. Long lane, West Smithfield.* 2. Whitechapel.*
Green Elmcourt, in the Savoy.
Greenford, in the vale, a village two miles south of Harrow on the Hill.
Greenhill’srents, Smithfield bars.†
Greenlandstairs. Deptford.
Greenlane, 1. Lambeth. 2. Tottenham Court fields.
Green Letticecourt, Fore street, Cripplegate.*
Green Letticelane, Canon street.*
Greenmarket, Leadenhall street.
GreenPark, between St. James’s Park and Hyde Park. This Park adds greatly to the pleasantness of the houses which are situated so as to overlook it, among which the most conspicuous by far is that lately built by Mr. Spencer. Altogether it appears very noble, but considering it as a front, we are disappointed in not seeing any entrance, which surely should have been made conspicuous. The pediment being extended over so many columns is too large and heavy, and thebow window has no relation at all to the building, and offends every eye; but the figures and vases on the top have indeed a fine effect. The irregularity of the other side or principal front (which is in St. James’s Place) is excusable, as the adjoining houses can’t yet be purchased, but the flatness of it, having no columns or great projections, will always make it subordinate to the side that fronts the Park, which is that we have given a view of in the print.
Green’scourt, Lothbury.†
Green’srents, Bride lane, Fleet street.†
Green Schoolcourt, London Wall.
Greenstreet, 1. Near Grosvenor square. 2. Leicester fields. 3. Theobald’s row.
Greenwalk, 1. Broad Wall. 2. Gravel lane.
Greenwich, a very pleasant town in Kent, situated six miles from London, has been the birth place of several of our Monarchs, particularly Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth: and here King Edward VI. died. Their palace was first erected by Humphry Duke of Gloucester, who named it Placentia. This palace was enlarged by Henry VII. and completed by Henry VIII. but being afterwards suffered to run to ruin, was pulled down by King Charles II. who began another, a most magnificentedifice, and lived to see the first wing finished. SeeGreenwich Hospital.
King Charles II. also enlarged the park, walled it round, planted it, and caused a royal observatory to be erected on the top of the steep of the hill. This edifice his Majesty erected for the use of the celebrated Mr. Flamstead, and it still retains the name of that great astronomer: his Majesty likewise furnished it with mathematical instruments for astronomical observations, and a deep dry well for observing the stars in the day time.
That which is properly the palace here, is an edifice of no great extent, and it is now converted into apartments for the Governor of the Royal Hospital, and the Ranger of the park. This park is well stocked with deer, and affords a noble and delightful view of the fine hospital, the river Thames, and the city of London.
Greenwich is said to contain 1350 houses. Its parish church, which has been lately rebuilt by the Commissioners for erecting the fifty new churches, is a very handsome structure, dedicated to St. Alphage, Archbishop of Canterbury, who is said to have been slain by the Danes in the year 1012, on the spot where the church now stands. There is a college at the end of the town, frontingthe Thames, for the maintenance of 20 decayed old housekeepers, twelve out of Greenwich, and eight who are to be alternately chosen from Snottisham and Castle-Rising in Norfolk. This is called the Duke of Norfolk’s College, though it was founded and endowed, in 1613, by Henry Earl of Northampton, the Duke of Norfolk’s brother, and by him committed to the care of the Mercers company. To this college belongs a chapel, in which the Earl’s body is laid, which, as well as his monument, was removed hither a few years ago, from the chapel of Dover Castle. The pensioners, besides meat, drink, and lodging, are allowed 1s.6d.a week, with a gown every year, linen once in two years, and hats once in four years.
In the year 1560 Mr. Lambard, author of the Perambulation of Kent, also built and founded an hospital called Queen Elizabeth’s College, said to be the first erected by an English protestant. There are likewise two charity schools in this parish, one founded by Sir William Boreman, Knt. for twenty boys, who are cloathed, boarded, and taught; they wear green coats and caps: and the other by Mr. John Roan, who left his estate for teaching also twenty boys reading, writing, and arithmetic, and allowing 2l.per annumfor each boy’s cloaths. These wear grey coats.
The river Thames is here very broad, and the channel deep; and at some very high tides the water is salt, though it is usually sweet and fresh.
S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.Greenwich Hospital.
S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.Greenwich Hospital.
S. Wale del.B. Green sculp.Greenwich Hospital.
Greenwich Hospital, stands on the spot, where stood the palace of several of our Kings. The first wing of this noble and superb edifice, erected by K. Charles II. was designed to be applied to the same use. Indeed from the magnificence of the structure, it can scarcely be taken for any thing less than the palace of a great monarch. However King William III. being very desirous of promoting the trade, navigation, and naval strength of this kingdom, by inviting great numbers of his subjects to betake themselves to the sea, gave this noble palace, and several other edifices, with a considerable spot of ground, for the use of those English seamen and their children, who by age, wounds, or other accidents, should be disabled from farther service at sea, and for the widows and children of such as were slain in fighting at sea, against the enemies of their country. King William also by his letters patent, in 1694, appointed commissioners for the better carrying on his pious intentions, and thereindesired the assistance of his good subjects, as the necessity of his affairs did not permit him to advance so considerable a sum towards this work, as he desired. In conformity to this request, many benefactions were made both in that and the succeeding reigns, to this noble charity, which, according to the tables hung up at the entrance of the hall, amount to 58,209l.and afterwards the estate of the Earl of Derwentwater, who bore a principal part in the rebellion in 1715, amounting to 6000l.per annum, was given by parliament to this hospital. The first range had cost King Charles II. 36,000l.and another was ordered to be built on the same model: this has been completed with equal magnificence, and the whole structure entirely finished.
The front to the Thames consists of these two ranges of stone buildings, with the Governor’s house at the back part in the center, behind which the park, well planted with trees, rises with a noble ascent. These buildings, between which is a large area, perfectly correspond with each other, and each range is terminated by a very noble dome.
In each front to the Thames, two ranges of coupled Corinthian columns finely wrought, support their pediments,and the same order is continued in pilasters along the building. The projection of the entablatures gives an agreeable diversity of light and shade. In the center of each part, between these ranges of Corinthian columns, is the door, which is of the Doric order, and adorned above with a tablet and pediment. Within the height of these lofty columns are two series of windows, enlightening two floors. The undermost, which are the smallest, have rustic cases crowned with pediments; while the upper series, which are larger, and more lofty, are adorned with the orders, and with upright pointed pediments. Over these is an Attic story; the entablature of the Corinthian columns and pilasters supports a regular Attic course: the pilasters of this order rising over every column, and pilaster of the Corinthian below, between which the windows are regularly disposed, and the top is crowned with a handsome balustrade.
The buildings, which are continued from these, and face the area, correspond with them, though in a finer, and more elegant manner. In the center of both is a range of columns supporting a pediment, and at each corner a range of Corinthian pilasters. The front is rusticated, and there are two series of windows. The domes at the end, which are 120 feet high,are supported on coupled columns, as are the porticos below; and under one of these is the chapel, which is adorned on the inside with the greatest elegance and beauty.
On the sides of the gate which opens to these buildings from the park, are placed a large celestial and terrestrial globe, in which the stars are gilt; and in the center of the area, is fixed on a pedestal, a statue of his Majesty King George II.
The hall of this hospital is finely painted by Sir James Thornhill, particularly the ceiling and upper end; on the latter are represented in an alcove, the late Princess Sophia, King George I. King George II. Queen Caroline, the Queen Dowager of Prussia, Frederic Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cumberland, and the five Princesses, the daughters of his present Majesty. On the ceiling over the alcove are her late Majesty Queen Anne and Prince George of Denmark: and on the ceiling of the hall are King William and Queen Mary, with several fine emblematical figures. All strangers who see this hall pay two pence each, and this income is applied to the support of the mathematical school, for the sons of sailors.
For the better support of this hospital every seaman in the royal navy and in the service of the merchants pays 6d.a month. This is stopped out of the pay of all sailors,and delivered in at the Six penny Receiver’s office on Tower hill. And therefore a seaman who can produce an authentic certificate of his being disabled, and rendered unfit for the sea service, by defending any ship belonging to his Majesty’s British subjects, or in taking any ship from the enemy, may be admitted into this hospital, and receive the same benefit from it, as if he had been in his Majesty’s immediate service.
There are at present near 2000 old or disabled seamen, and an hundred boys, the sons of seamen, instructed in navigation, and bred up for the service of the royal navy: but there are no out-pensioners, as at Chelsea. Each of the mariners has a weekly allowance of seven loaves, weighing sixteen ounces each; three pounds of beef; two of mutton; a pint of pease; a pound and a quarter of cheese; two ounces of butter; fourteen quarts of beer, and 1s.a week tobacco money: the tobacco money of the boatswains is 2s.6d.a week each; that of their mates 1s.6d.and that of the other officers in proportion to their rank. Besides which, each common pensioner receives once in two years, a suit of blue cloaths, a hat, three pair of stockings, two pair of shoes, five neck cloths, three shirts, and two night caps.
This hospital has about 100 Governors,composed of the nobility, great officers of state, and persons in high posts under the King. The principal officers of the house, with their annual salaries, are:
Greenwichalley, Brickhill lane.
Greenwichstreet, Dowgate wharf.
Greenwood’scourt, Nightingale lane.†
Greenyard, 1. Basinghall Postern. 2. East Smithfield. 3. Fore street, Cripplegate. 4. Goswell street. 5. Green Bank, Wapping. 6. Horselydown. 7. Milk yard, New Gravel lane. 8. Pepper alley. 9. Tooley street. 10. Upper Ground street. 11. White’s yard, Rosemary lane.
Gregory’scourt, High Holborn.
St.Gregory’s, so called from its being dedicated to Pope Gregory the Great, who sent Austin the Monk to convert the English, stood at the south west corner of St. Paul’s cathedral; but being burnt by the fire of London in 1666, and not rebuilt, the parish was by act of parliament annexedto the church of St. Mary Magdalen in Old Fish street.
Greg’scourt, Goodman’s yard.†
Grenadier’smews, Portland street.†
Gresham’sAlmshousein Broad street, on the west side of Gresham College, was founded by Sir Thomas Gresham in the year 1575, for eight poor men; the trust of which he committed to the Lord Mayor and Commonalty of London, who annually pay these Almsmen 6l.13s.4d.each, and a gown every other year.
S. Wale delin.J. Taylor sc.Gresham College.
S. Wale delin.J. Taylor sc.Gresham College.
S. Wale delin.J. Taylor sc.Gresham College.
Gresham College, situated within the walls between Bishopsgate street and Broad street, and was formerly the dwelling of the founder Sir Thomas Gresham, Knt. a merchant of London, and one of the company of Mercers, who after he had built the Royal Exchange, bequeathed half the revenue thereof to the Mayor and Commonalty of London, and their successors, and the other moiety to the company of Mercers, in trust that the Mayor and Commonalty should find in all times to come four able persons to read in his dwelling house in Bishopsgate street, lectures on divinity, astronomy, geometry, and Music, and allow each of them besides handsome lodgings in that house, the sum of 50l.a year: and that the company of Mercers should find three other able men to read lectures in the civil law, rhetoric,and physic, pay them the same salary, and allow them the same accommodations. These salaries and other bequests of Sir Thomas Gresham, amounting in the whole to 603l.are payable out of the rents of the Royal Exchange, and there is a grand committee for the management of the affairs of this college and the Exchange, which consists of four Aldermen, whereof the Lord Mayor is always one; twelve of the company of Mercers, and eight of the Common Council, for the city. These lectures were first read in Trinity term, 1597, and with some interruptions have been continued to the present time.
The order of reading every term time is, Monday, divinity; Tuesday, civil law; Wednesday, astronomy; Thursday, geometry; Friday, rhetoric; Saturday, anatomy in the morning, and music in the afternoon.Stow,last edit.But since the institution of the Royal Society, these lectures are in a manner deserted, the professors having seldom above three or four auditors, and those of the most ordinary people. The print represents the inside of the quadrangle in its present state.
Gresham Collegecourt, Bishopsgate street.†
Grevilstreet, Leather lane.†
Grey-coat Hospital, Tothill fields,Westminster. In the year 1698 this charity school was erected in St. Margaret’s parish, for the education of poor children, and namedThe Grey-coat School, from the colour of the children’s cloaths; but the trustees being at length greatly encouraged by charitable contributions, in the year 1701, not only increased the number of children, but supplied them with all the necessaries of life, in a large and commodious building near Tothill fields: and for the encouragement of so laudable an undertaking Queen Anne, in 1706, by her letters patent, constituted the trustees of this school a body politic and corporate, by the name ofThe Governors of the Grey-coat hospital in Tothill fields, of the royal foundation of Queen Anne, with the power of purchasing lands, tenements, &c. in mortmain, to the yearly amount of 2000l.These children, besides being taught the usual learning, are employed in spinning, knitting, sewing, &c. to inure them early to industry; and having attained the necessary qualifications at school, they are put out apprentices.
This hospital, in the year 1727, was in so flourishing a condition that it contained eighty boys, and fifty girls, in which year the charge of all its disbursements amounted to 1457l.7s.6d.At Michaelmas 1739, a mathematical schoolwas erected, and a proper master employed to instruct the boys in the art of navigation, to fit them for the service of their country, several of whom since the erection of this school have been put apprentice to captains in the King’s service.
The expence of each child is about 8l.a year, besides the salaries of the masters and mistresses, the wages of servants, and other charges attending the hospital.
Grey Eaglestreet, Brick lane, Spitalfields.*
Grey Friars, a court in Newgate street, near the gate, adjoining on one side to Christ’s hospital. Here, in the reign of King Henry III. was erected a convent of Franciscans or Grey Friars, and some time after a spacious church, which was not compleatly finished till the year 1380, tho’ it was consecrated in 1325. This church, which was 300 feet in length, eighty-nine in breadth, and sixty-four feet two inches in height from the ground to the roof, was built at different times, at the expence of different persons, and among its benefactors were several Queens of England. In the year 1429, Richard Whittington here founded a library, 129 feet in length and thirty-one in breadth, which was finished the following year, and within three years after furnished with books. However, at the general suppression of monasteries, the friery,with all the edifices belonging to it, was surrendered to Henry VIII. and the ornaments and utensils taken away, and applied to the King’s use: after which the church was shut up for some time, and used as a storehouse for goods taken as prizes from the French; but in January 1546, this church, with the friery, library, chapter house, cloisters and gardens, were given by King Henry to the Mayor and Commonalty of London, with the hospital of St. Bartholomew in West Smithfield, the parishes of St. Nicholas and St. Ewin, and so much of St. Sepulchre’s parish as is within Newgate, to be made one parish belonging to the church in the Grey Friars, which was from thenceforward to be called Christ Church. In short, in the year 1552, the house of the Grey Friars began to be repaired for the reception of poor fatherless children, and in November following near four hundred were taken in.Stow.SeeChrist’s Hospital.
Greyhoundalley, 1. St. Mary Ax.* 2. Newgate street.*
Greyhoundcourt, 1. Aldersgate street.* 2. St. Catharine’s lane.* 3. Chick lane.* 4. Lamb street.* 5. Milford lane.* 6. Moor’s street, Soho.*
GreyhoundInn yard, St. Margaret’s hill.*
Greyhoundlane, Three Colts street.*
Greyhoundstreet, Whitechapel.*
Greyhoundyard, 1. Portpool lane.* 2. Upper Ground street.*
Grey Peaalley, Red Maid lane.
Grey’syard, Duke street, Piccadilly.†
Gridironalley, Whitechapel.*
Gridironcourt, High Holborn.*
Griffinalley, Blackman street.*
Griffinstreet, Shadwell Dock.*
Griffinyard, Long lane, West Smithfield.*
Griffis’srents, Barnaby street.†
Grigg’scourt, Goodman’s yard.†
Gripeyalley, Artichoke lane.
Grocers, the second of the twelve principal companies, was anciently denominated Pepperers; but having changed their name to that of Grocers, were under that denomination incorporated by letters patent granted by King Edward III. in the year 1345, which were confirmed by Henry VI. in 1429. These grants were afterwards confirmed by a new charter of Charles I. in the year 1640, with an additional power of searching and inspecting the goods and weights of all Grocers within the city and suburbs of London, and three miles round. They had anciently the management of the King’s beam in this city, with the right of appointing a master-weigher, and four porters to attend it.
This corporation consists of a Prime and three other Wardens, fifty-two Assistants, and one hundred and twenty-seven Liverymen, whose fine upon admission is 20l.They have a great estate, out of which they annually pay to the poor about 700l.Maitland.
Grocersalley, 1. In the Poultry.☐ 2. Shoreditch.
Grocers Hall, on the north side of the Poultry, and at the farther end of Grocers alley, is situated on a spot of ground purchased by the Grocers company in the year 1411, of Robert Lord Fitzwalter, for three hundred and twenty marks. The building is well designed for the purpose of a common hall; and is not only a stately edifice, but is so capacious, that for many years it served for the uses of the Bank of England, which was kept in this hall, till the edifice in Thread-needle street was erected for that purpose. The ancient stone and brick building at the north west corner of the garden, inhabited by the beadle of the company, is probably part of the ancient city mansion of the noble family of Fitzwalter, and consequently the oldest building within the city walls.Maitland.
Grocers Hallyard, Grocers alley.
Grocersrents, East Smithfield.
Groom Porter, an officer of the King’s palace under the Lord Chamberlain. It is his duty to see that his Majesty’s lodgings are furnished with tables, chairs, stools and firing; to provide cards, dice, &c.Chamberlain’s Present State.
Groom of the Stole, the first Lord of the Bedchamber, who is groom of the long robe or vestment worn by the King on solemn occasions, and called the stole. It is his office to present or put on his Majesty’s shirt every morning, and to order the things of the bedchamber. His salary is 2000l.a year.
Grosvenor’sgate, Grosvenor street.†
Grosvenor’smews, a street of stables near Grosvenor square.†
Grosvenor’spassage, Grosvenor street.†
Grosvenorsquare, is bounded on the north by Oxford road; on the east by Hanover buildings; on the south by Mayfair; and on the west by Hyde Park, It is however entirely surrounded with buildings, which are very magnificent, though the fronts are far from being uniform, some of them being entirely of stone, others of brick and stone, and others of rubbed brick, with only their quoins, facios, windows and door cases of stone. Some of them are adorned with stone columns of the several orders, while others have onlyplain fronts. Indeed here is the greatest variety of fine buildings that are any where to be met with in so small a compass, and they are so far uniform, as to be all sashed and to be pretty near of an equal height. The area of this square contains about five acres, and in the middle is a large garden surrounded with palisado pales placed upon a circular dwarf wall. This garden is laid out into walks, and adorned with an equestrian statue of King George I. gilt, which stands upon a pedestal in the center.
This square and the adjacent places are thus named from Sir Thomas Grosvenor.
Grosvenorstreet, 1. Horse ferry, Westminster.† 2. New Bond street.†
A list of Pictures that are at present hung up in the two first floors of the house of Paul Methuen, Esq; in Grosvenor street.
N. B. In this list, after the description of the pictures, the names of those by whom they are thought to be painted are added, for the information of such as may be great admirers of the art of painting, and lovers of pictures, and yet may not have knowledge or experience enough in that art to distinguish the several hands by which they are done.
But as it is very possible, and even probable,that the owner of them may, for want of sufficient skill, have been mistaken in the naming of the authors of some of them; tho’ at the same time he begs it may be believed, that he has done nothing of that kind, without such reasons for it, as appeared very good to him; nor has been guided in it by partiality to the pictures, or any other consideration, but regard to truth, which he always thought should take place of every thing: so those who are better judges, are at liberty to name the pictures as they please, and restore them to the authors to which they may think they really belong.
On theFIRST FLOOR.In the hall and stair case.Over the chimney.
On theFIRST FLOOR.In the hall and stair case.Over the chimney.
On theFIRST FLOOR.
In the hall and stair case.
Over the chimney.
A naked boy blowing bubbles and treading on a death’s head, representing Vanity, by Elizabetha Sirani.
Near the street door.
Near the street door.
Near the street door.
A large picture of dogs and foxes, by Peter Sneyders.
Over the door that goes into the first parlour.
Over the door that goes into the first parlour.
Over the door that goes into the first parlour.
A man’s head, by Giuseppe de Ribera, commonly call’d Il Spagnoletto.
On the landing place.
On the landing place.
On the landing place.
A large picture of David and Abigail, by Sir Peter Paul Rubens.
Over the door.
Over the door.
Over the door.
The adventure of Don Quixote and the barber, by a Spanish painter.
Fronting the landing place at the top.
Fronting the landing place at the top.
Fronting the landing place at the top.
The portrait of the Duchess of Mantua, grand daughter to the Emperor Charles the Fifth, with her son in her lap, who was the last Duke of Mantua, with some allegorical figures, armour, &c. by Giovanni Benedetto Castiglione.
Under it.
Under it.
Under it.
A landscape, and a musical conversation, painted by Sir Peter Lely; being the portraits of himself and his whole family, drawn by the life.
Fronting the windows.
Fronting the windows.
Fronting the windows.
The judgment of Paris, by Gerard Lairest.
Under it.
Under it.
Under it.
The judgment of Midas, by the same hand.
Over the looking glass.
Over the looking glass.
Over the looking glass.
A young lad blowing bubbles, said to be painted by Hannibal Caracci.
In the first parlour.Over the chimney.
In the first parlour.Over the chimney.
In the first parlour.
Over the chimney.
A Dutch kermis or country fair, painted by Old Pieter Bruegel.
On each side of the chimney.
On each side of the chimney.
On each side of the chimney.
Next the window, the portrait of a Turk, by Rembrandt van Rijn.
David with the head of Goliath and his sling, by Leonello Spada.
Between the windows.
Between the windows.
Between the windows.
A man’s head, said to be that of Massaniello the fisherman who caused the great revolution of Naples, by Salvator Rosa.
The portrait of Francisco de Taxis, the first inventor of the posts in Europe, for which reason the direction of them has always remained in one of his family in all the dominions that belongs to the house of Austria, by a hand not certainly known.
Over the doors out of the hall,
Over the doors out of the hall,
Over the doors out of the hall,
The folly of spending our lives in the pursuit of love, wine, music and play, an emblematical picture, by Johannes Schorel.
The Virgin, our Saviour, St. Mary Magdalen, St. Peter, St. John the Baptist, and St. Jerome; by Jacobo Palma, senior, commonly called Old Palma.
Over the marble table.
Over the marble table.
Over the marble table.
The birth of our Saviour, and the adoration of the shepherds, by Giac. Bassan.
Under it, in the middle.
Under it, in the middle.
Under it, in the middle.
St. John the Baptist asleep in the desert, by Andrea del Sarto.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
Two small sea pieces, a port in the Mediterranean, and a fight with the Turks, by William Vanderveld, junior.
Under them, in the middle.
Under them, in the middle.
Under them, in the middle.
An emblematical picture, representing a guardian angel pointing out the way to heaven to a soul, under the figure of a young girl, by Carlino Dolce.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
Two very highly finished landscapes on copper, by Salvator Rosa.
Between the two doors.
Between the two doors.
Between the two doors.
The portrait of the Duke of Richmond and Lenox, of the Stuart family, at whole length, with a dog, by Sir Anthony Vandyck.
Over the door to the back parlour.
Over the door to the back parlour.
Over the door to the back parlour.
Vulcan at his forge, with the Cyclops, by Jacob Jordaans of Antwerp.
Over against the windows.In the middle.
Over against the windows.In the middle.
Over against the windows.
In the middle.
The head of our Saviour crown’d with thorns, by Ludovico Caracci.
On both sides of that.
On both sides of that.
On both sides of that.
Two fruit pieces, by Michael Angelo Pase, called Michael Angelo del Campidoglio.
Under them, in the middle.
Under them, in the middle.
Under them, in the middle.
A Bacchanal in two colours, by Rubens.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
A landscape with a robbery, and a battle, both painted by Giacomo Cortese, commonly called Il Bourgognone.
Under them, in the middle.
Under them, in the middle.
Under them, in the middle.
A pretty large landscape and figures of Dutch boors, by Adrian Van Ostade.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
A stag hunting, and another of hern hawking, by Philip Woverman.
Under them.
Under them.
Under them.
Two conversations of boors within doors, by Adrian Van Ostade.
In the second parlour.Over the chimney.
In the second parlour.Over the chimney.
In the second parlour.
Over the chimney.
Lot and his two daughters, with the city of Sodom on fire, by Lorenzo Lotti, a great imitator of Giorgione and Titian.
Over the closet doors.Next the window.
Over the closet doors.Next the window.
Over the closet doors.
Next the window.
The great amphitheatre at Rome, and other buildings, by Viviano Cadahorra.
A sea port with buildings and ruins, by Salviouch, and the figures by John Miele.
Over the door to the first parlour.
Over the door to the first parlour.
Over the door to the first parlour.
Omphale the mistress of Hercules, with the lion’s skin and his club by her, by Augustin Caracci.
Over the two other doors.
Over the two other doors.
Over the two other doors.
Two battles in the stile of Bourgognone, but the hands not certainly known.
In the passage room.Over the doors.
In the passage room.Over the doors.
In the passage room.
Over the doors.
A philosopher with a book in his hand, by Pier Francesco Mola.
Mary Magdalen, by Giacinto Brandi.
Our Saviour meditating on the sins of the world, by Giovanni Antonio Regillio, a competitor of Titian’s, and commonly called Il Pordenone.
In the great room.Over the door at which you go in.
In the great room.Over the door at which you go in.
In the great room.
Over the door at which you go in.
The portrait of a young man on wood, by Andrea del Sarto.
Between that door and the window.
Between that door and the window.
Between that door and the window.
The head of St. James the apostle.
The head of St. John the evangelist.
N. B. These two last pictures are bya hand that is not certainly known.
N. B. These two last pictures are bya hand that is not certainly known.
N. B. These two last pictures are by
a hand that is not certainly known.
Under them.
Under them.
Under them.
A Bacchanal painted on copper, by Cornelius Polembergh.
Between the door and the wall.In the middle.
Between the door and the wall.In the middle.
Between the door and the wall.
In the middle.
A pretty large picture of our Saviour and the Samaritan woman, by Giovanni Francesco Barbiori da Cento, commonly called Il Guercino.
On the side towards the door.
On the side towards the door.
On the side towards the door.
The Virgin and Child, by Il Cavalier Giovanni Lanfranchio.
On the side towards the wall.
On the side towards the wall.
On the side towards the wall.
Venus dressing, and Cupid holding her looking-glass, by Paolo Veronese.
Under them, in the middle.
Under them, in the middle.
Under them, in the middle.
The Virgin and Child, by Raphael de Urbino.
On the side towards the door.
On the side towards the door.
On the side towards the door.
The Virgin and Child in the clouds, and several angels, by Bartolomeo Murillo.
On the side towards the wall.
On the side towards the wall.
On the side towards the wall.
The Virgin and our Saviour, by Carlo Cignani.
Next to the door.
Next to the door.
Next to the door.
The annunciation of the Virgin Mary, by Paolo Veronese.
Next to the wall.
Next to the wall.
Next to the wall.
The birth of our Saviour, &c. by Jacapo Robusti, commonly called Tintoretto.
Over the chimney.
Over the chimney.
Over the chimney.
Tobit and the angel, by Michael Angelo Amerighi, commonly called Michael Angelo Caravaggio.
Between the wall and the chimney.In the middle.
Between the wall and the chimney.In the middle.
Between the wall and the chimney.
In the middle.
The portrait of a man, by Antonio Allegri, commonly called Il Correggio.
Towards the wall.
Towards the wall.
Towards the wall.
The head of some Spanish general, by Giovanni Giachinette, commonly called Il Bourgognone delle Teste.
Towards the chimney.
Towards the chimney.
Towards the chimney.
The portrait of the famous Hernando Cortes, conqueror of Mexico, by Titiano Vecelli, called Il Titiano.
Under them.
Under them.
Under them.
A large battle in an oval, painted by Luca Jordano.
Between the chimney and farthest wall.In the middle.
Between the chimney and farthest wall.In the middle.
Between the chimney and farthest wall.
In the middle.
St. Sebastian, by Guido Reni.
Next the chimney.
Next the chimney.
Next the chimney.
The portrait of Sir Anthony Vandyck, painted by himself.
Next to the wall.
Next to the wall.
Next to the wall.
The portrait of a young girl, with a little dog asleep in her hands, by Rembrandt van Rijn.
Under them.
Under them.
Under them.
A large oval battle, painted by Luca Jordano.
Over the closet door.
Over the closet door.
Over the closet door.
The portrait of a man with a book in his hand, said to be the famous satirist Berni, by Giorgio Barbarelli, called Il Giorgione.
Between the door and the wall.
Between the door and the wall.
Between the door and the wall.
A she saint, with angels, by Pietro Berettini, called Pietro Cortona.
Under it, in the middle.
Under it, in the middle.
Under it, in the middle.
A small battle, by Bourgognone.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
On both sides of it.
Two small pictures, done from the gallery of Archduke Leopold, the one from Paris Bourdon, and the other from young Palma, by David Teniers.