Harrowalley, 1. St. Catharine’s.* 2. Holborn.* 3. Mint street.* 4. Old Gravel lane.* 5. Old street.* 6. Petticoat lane.* 7. Whitechapel.*
Harrowcorner, 1. Bennet’s hill.* 2. Deadman’s place.* 3. Fleet lane.* 4. Long lane.*
Harrowdunghil, Mint street.*
Harrowdunghil yard, Old Horselydown.*
Harrowyard, Ropemakers fields.*
Harrow on the Hill, is situated in Middlesex, fifteen miles N. W. from London, on the highest hill in the county, on the summit of which stands the church, which has a very high spire. This parish is famous for a free school founded byMr. John Lyons in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; and every 4th of August a select number of the scholars, dressed in the habit of archers, come with their bows, and shoot at a mark for a silver arrow.
Hartford, orHertford, the county town of Hartfordshire, is situated on the river Lea, twenty-three miles from London, and is a place of great antiquity. It is said to have been of some note even in the time of the ancient Britons; here the Saxon Kings frequently kept their courts, and here King Alfred built a castle, by which he destroyed the Danish vessels that passed from the Thames up the river Lea. The town had its first charter granted by Queen Mary, by which it was made a corporation, and King James I. granted it a new one. The town is pleasantly situated in a dry and healthful vale, and built in the form of a Y with a castle in the middle of the two horns. It is governed by a High Steward, who is generally a nobleman, and by a Mayor, nine Aldermen, a Recorder, a Town Clerk, a Chamberlain, ten capital Burgesses, with sixteen Assistants, and two serjeants at mace. Here were five churches, which are reduced to two. In that of St. Andrew’s there is not only a seat for theMayor and Aldermen, but another for the Governors of Christ Church hospital in London, and a gallery, in which 200 of the children of that hospital may be accommodated; for the Governors have erected an handsome house in the town for such children, as either wanted health, or are too young for that hospital. Here is also a handsome free school, and three charity schools; but tho’ the splendor of the town is much diminished, since the north road from London was turned through Ware, yet the county jail is still kept here, and the jail delivery in the castle. This town has the honour of giving the title of Earl to the Duke of Somerset, and of sending two members to parliament. The chief commodities of its market are wool, wheat, and malt, and it is said to send 5000 quarters of malt weekly to London by the river Lea.
Near this town is a seat of the late Governor Harrison, pleasantly situated on a hill that commands a fine prospect of the country all around; and its neighbourhood is a seat of the Clarks, which also enjoys a delightful situation.
Hartingfordbury, a village a little to the west of Hartford, near which the Earl Cowper has a handsome seat, builtby his father, the Lord Chancellor of that name.
Hartalley, Grub street, Fore street.*
Hartcourt, Little Knightrider’s street.*
Hart Rowstreet, without Newgate.*
Hartstreet, 1. Bloomsbury. 2. By Bow street, Covent Garden. 3. Cripplegate. 4. Duke street. 5. Mark lane, Fenchurch street.
Hartshorncourt, 1. Golden lane. 2. Moor lane.
Hartshornlane, in the Strand, lately by Northumberland house, leading down from the Strand to the water side; but it is now demolished, and a handsome street building in its room, which, it is said, will be called Northumberland street, from the present Earl of Northumberland to whom it belongs.
Harvey’scourt, in the Strand.†
Harwar’sAlmshouse, in Kingsland road, was founded by Mr. Samuel Harwar, citizen and draper, in the year 1713, for twelve single men and women, six of whom are to be put in by the company of Drapers, and the other six by the parish of St. Leonard, Shoreditch: each of whom is allowed six shillings a month, and eighteen bushels of coals a year.
Harwood’scourt, 1. Wellclose square. 2. Well street.
Harwood’syard, Holiwell street.*
Hasspark, Wheeler street.
Hastewood’scourt, Blue Anchor alley.†
Hasting’scourt, 1. Ratcliff Highway.† 2. Upper Shadwell.†
Hat and Mitrecourt, St. John’s street.*
Hatbandmakers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King Charles I. in the year 1638. They have a Master, two Wardens, and twelve Assistants; but have neither livery nor hall.
This fraternity during the wear of rich hatbands, was in a flourishing condition; but this part of dress having been many years out of fashion, the trade of making hatbands is almost dwindled to nothing, so that there are at present but two or three of the company who are really hatbandmakers.Maitland.
Hatchetalley, 1. Church lane, Whitechapel. 2. East Smithfield. 3. Little Britain. 4. Little Tower hill.
Hatestreet, Greek street, Soho.
Hatfield, a town in Hertfordshire, twenty miles from London, was called Bishops-Hatfield, from its belonging to the Bishops of Ely. Here Theodore Archbishop of Canterbury held a synod, against the Eutychean opinions; and here was once a royal palace, from whence both Edward VI. and Queen Elizabeth were conducted to the throne. The rectory, which is inthe Earl of Salisbury’s gift, is computed at 800l.a year.
The Earl of Salisbury has here a noble seat built by the great Lord Burleigh, called Hatfield House. The park and gardens, in which is a vineyard, is watered by the river Lea.
Hatfieldstreet, Goswell street.
Hattoncourt, 1. Saffron hill. 2. Thread-needle street.
Hattongarden, Holborn, a broad straight and long street, in which the houses are pretty lofty; but tho’ they are plain and unadorned on the outside, yet there being something like regularity in the buildings, they appear to great advantage; and the street affording a fine vista, may justly be reckoned among the handsomest within the liberties of the city. Mr. Strype observes, that here was anciently situated the mansion house of the Bishop of Ely; adjoining to it was an orchard and pasture of about forty acres inclosed with a wall, which falling to the Crown at the death of Bishop Cox, she granted it to the Lord Chancellor Hatton, and his heirs for ever. Upon which the house was pulled down, and Hatton Garden, and several other streets erected on this estate.Strype’s Stow.
Hattonwall, at the end of Hatton garden;probably so called from its being at the extremity of the wall of the garden in which the street called Hatton Garden was built. See the preceding article.
Hattonyard, Hatton Wall.†
Haviland’srents, St. Catharine’s.†
Haunch of Vensionyard, Brook street.*
Hawkers and PedlersOffice, for granting licences to the hawkers and pedlers, is kept in Holborn court, Grays Inn. These belong to this office three commissioners, a comptroller, a cashier, nine riding surveyors, and a supernumerary riding surveyor, each of whom has a salary of 100l.a year. There are besides a few other officers with smaller salaries.
Haws’sAlmshouse, in Bow lane, Poplar, was founded in the year 1686, for six poor women, who besides a room have thirty shillings a year each.
Haycourt, near Newport market.
Hayhill, Dover street.
Haymarket, Pall Mall, a pretty long and spacious street, in which there is the opera house on one side, and a small theatre on the other. It received its name from there being a market here for hay and straw, every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Hazelwoodcourt, Bunhill row.*
Heathcockcourt, in the Strand.*
Heath’sAlmshouse, in Almshouse row,*in the Lower street, Islington, was founded by John Heath, Esq; in the year 1648, for the reception of ten decayed members of the clothworkers company, who annually receive from their corporation, who are trustees for this foundation, the sum 6l.each.Maitland.
Heath’srents, Church lane, Rag Fair.†
Heddon’scourt, Swallow street.†
Heddon’sstreet, Swallow street.†
Hedgealley, Barnaby street.
Hedgelane, Charing Cross, so called from its being formerly inclosed all along between two hedges.Maitland.
Hedgerscourt, St. Thomas’s, Southwark.
Hedley, a village in Surry, three miles from Epsom.
St.Helen’sChurch, situated in a spacious court, on the east side of Bishopsgate street, called Little St. Helen’s, is thus denominated from its dedication to St. Helena, the mother of Constantine the Great. This church escaped the flames in 1666, and is no ill monument of the taste of the time in which it was erected. It is a Gothic structure of the lighter kind; and consists of a plain body, with large windows not too much encumbered with ornaments. It has a tower wrought with rustic at the corners, and crowned with a turret and dome in which is a bell.
In this church was formerly a figure of the Trinity, and a high altar of St. Helena, to which much devotion was paid. The church is now a vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s.
In the north isle is the following inscription, on a large handsome piece of black marble, under which are placed the remains of the wife, son, and daughter of Mr. Thomas Payne, bookseller.
Silent grave, to thee I trustThese precious piles of lovely dust;Keep them safely, sacred tomb,Till a father asks for room.
Silent grave, to thee I trustThese precious piles of lovely dust;Keep them safely, sacred tomb,Till a father asks for room.
Silent grave, to thee I trustThese precious piles of lovely dust;Keep them safely, sacred tomb,Till a father asks for room.
Silent grave, to thee I trust
These precious piles of lovely dust;
Keep them safely, sacred tomb,
Till a father asks for room.
Priory of St.Helen’s, was a convent of Black Nuns, founded in the reign of Henry III. by the above church; but was surrendered to the Crown in the thirteenth year of the reign of Henry VIII. The nuns hall, and other houses belonging to the priory, have been since purchased by the leathersellers company, and is their common hall.
Helmetalley, Fore street, Cripplegate.*
Helmetcourt, 1. Butcher Row, Temple Bar.* 2. Near Catharine street, in the Strand.* 3. Fore street, Cripplegate.* 4. London Wall.* 5. In the Minories.* 6.Thames street.* 7. Wormwood street.*
Helmetrow, Old street.*
Hemlockcourt, Carey street, Lincoln’s Inn fields.
Hemming’srow, St. Martin’s lane, Charing Cross.†
Hempyard, 1. Creechurch lane. 2. Petticoat lane. 3. Seething lane.
Hempsted, orHemel-Hempsted, a town in Hertfordshire, situated about eight miles to the west of St. Alban’s, is esteemed one of the greatest markets for wheat in this county, if not in England: it is kept on Thursday, and 20,0001. a week is often returned in it for meal only. Eleven mills stand within four miles of the place, which bring a great trade to it; but by this means the road is so continually torn, that it is one of the worst turnpike ways round London.
Hencourt, Golden lane.*
Hen and Chickenscourt, Fleet street.*
Hennagelane, Duke’s Place.
Henriettastreet, 1. Cavendish square. 2. Covent Garden.
Henrystreet, Old street.
Hepper’swharf, near Puddle dock, Thames street.†
Hepworth’salley, Dancing Bridge.†
HeraldsOffice, or theCollege of Arms, is situated upon St. Bennet’s hill, nearDoctors Commons, at the south west end of St. Paul’s cathedral. This office was destroyed by the dreadful conflagration in 1666, and rebuilt about three years after. It is a square, inclosed by regular brick buildings, which are extremely neat without expensive decorations. The floors are raised above the level of the ground, and there is an ascent to them by flights of plain steps. The principal front is in the lower story ornamented with rustic, upon which are placed four Ionic pilasters, that support an angular pediment. The sides which are conformable to this have arched pediments, that are also supported by Ionic pilasters. On the inside is a large room for keeping the court of honour; a library; with houses and apartments for the King’s Heralds and Pursuivants.
This corporation consists of thirteen members, viz. three Kings at arms, six Heralds at arms, and four Pursuivants at arms; who are nominated by the Earl Marshal of England, as ministers subordinate to him in the execution of their offices, and hold their places by patent, during their good behaviour. They are all the King’s servants in ordinary, and therefore in the vacancy of the office of Earl Marshal, have been sworninto their offices by the Lord Chamberlain. Their meetings are termed chapters, which they hold the first Thursday in every month, or oftener, if necessary, wherein all matters are determined by a majority of voices of the Kings and Heralds, each King having two voices.
The Kings are Garter, Clarenceux and Norroy. Garter was instituted by King Henry V. in the year 1417, for the service of the most noble order of the Garter: and for the dignity of that order, he was made Sovereign, within the office of arms, over all the other officers subject to the crown of England, by the name ofGarter King of Arms of England. By the constitution of his office he must be a native of England, and a gentleman bearing arms. To him belongs the correction of arms, and all ensigns of arms usurped or borne unjustly; and the power of granting arms to deserving persons, and supporters to the nobility and Knights of the Bath. It is likewise his office to go next before the sword in solemn processions, none interposing, except the Marshal; to administer the oath to all the officers of arms; to have a habit like the register of the order; with Baron’s service in the court, and lodgings in Windsor Castle; he bears his white rod with a banner ofthe ensigns of the order thereon before the Sovereign; when any Lord enters the parliament chamber, it is his post to assign him his place, according to his dignity and degree; to carry the ensigns of the order to foreign Princes, and to do, or procure to be done, what the Sovereign shall enjoin relating to the order; for the execution of which he has a salary of 100l.a year payable at the Exchequer, and 100l.more out of the revenue of the order; besides his fees.
The others are called Provincial Kings, and their provinces together, comprise the whole kingdom of England; that of Clarenceux comprehending all to the south of the river Trent; and that of Norroy, all to the north of that river: but tho’ these provincials have existed time immemorial, they were not constituted to these offices by the titles of Clarenceux and Norroy before Edward III.
Clarenceux is thus named from the Duke of Clarence, the third son of King Edward III. It is his duty, according to his commission, to visit his province, to survey the arms of all persons, &c. and to register their descents, marriages, &c. to marshal the funerals of all persons in his province not under the direction of Garter; and in his province to grant arms,with the consent of the Earl Marshal. Before the institution of Garter he was the principal officer of arms, and in the vacancy of Garter he executes his office. Besides his fees, he has a salary from the Exchequer of 40l.a year.
The duty and office of Norroy, or North Roy, that is North King, is the same on the north of the Trent, as that of Clarenceux on the south.
The Kings of arms were formerly erected by the Sovereign with great solemnity, upon some high festival; but since the ceremonies used at the creation of Peers have been laid aside, the Kings of arms have been created by the Earl Marshal, by virtue of the Sovereign’s warrant: upon this occasion he takes his oath; wine is poured upon his head out of a gilt cup, with a cover; his title is pronounced; and he invested with a tabart of the royal arms, richly embroidered upon velvet; a collar of SS. with two portcullises of silver gilt; a gold chain, with a badge of his office, and the Earl Marshal places on his head the crown of a King of arms, which formerly resembled a ducal coronet; but since the restoration it has been adorned with leaves resembling those of the oak, and circumscribed, according to ancient custom, with thewords,Miserere mei Deus secundum magnam misericordiam tuam. Garter has also a mantle of crimson sattin, as an officer of the order; with a white rod or scepter with the Sovereign’s arms on the top, which he bears in the presence of the Sovereign; and he is sworn in a chapter of the Garter, the Sovereign investing him with the ensigns of his office.
The Kings of arms are distinguished from each other by their respective badges, which they may wear at all times, either in a gold chain or a ribbon, Garter’s being blue and the Provincials purple.
The six Heralds are Windsor, Chester, Lancaster, York, Richmond, and Somerset, who take place according to seniority in office. They are created with the same ceremonies as the Kings, taking the oath of an Herald, and are inverted with a tabart of the royal arms, embroidered upon sattin, not so rich as the Kings, but better than the Pursuivants, and a silver collar of SS. They are Esquires by creation, and have a salary of 26l.13s.4d.per annum, and fees according to their degree.
The Kings and Heralds are sworn upon a sword as well as the book, to shewthat they are military, as well as civil officers.
The four Pursuivants, who are, Rougecroix, Bluemantle, Rougedragon, and Portcullis, are also created by the Earl Marshal, when they take their oath of a Pursuivant, and are invested with a tabart of the royal arms upon damask. They have a salary of 20l.a year, with fees according to their degree. It is the duty of the Heralds and Pursuivants, to attend in the public office, one of each class together, by a monthly rotation.
Besides these particular duties of the several classes, it is the general duty both of the Kings, Heralds, and Pursuivants, to attend his Majesty at the house of Peers, and, upon certain high festivals, to the chapel royal; to make proclamations; to marshal the proceedings at all public processions; to attend the installation of the Knights of the Garter, &c.
All these officers have apartments in the college, annexed to their respective offices. They have likewise a public hall, in which is a court for the Earl Marshal, where courts of chivalry are occasionally held, and the officers of arms attend in their tabarts, his Lordship being present. Their public library contains a large and valuable collection of original records of the pedigrees and arms of families, funeralcertificates of the nobility and gentry, public ceremonials, and other branches of heraldry and antiquities; and there have been few works published, relating to the history and antiquities of this kingdom, in which the authors have not received some assistance from this library, where attendance is daily given by two officers for the public emolument.Instructions communicated by Stephen Martin Leake, Esq; Garter King of Arms, to Mr. Maitland.
Herbert’sgrounds, Bandyleg Walk.†
Herbert’spassage, Beaufort Buildings.†
Hercules Pillarsalley, Fleet street.*
Herculesyard, Turnmill street.*
Hermitagebridge, Hermitage dock.
Hermitagecourt, Red Maid lane, near the Hermitage.
Hermitage, Dock side. There were formerly several hermitages on the ground on which London now stands.
Hermitagestairs, Wapping.
Hermitagestreet, Wapping.
Hermitageyard, Parish street.
Heron’syard, Marsham street.†
Hertford’scourt, Fenchurch street.†
Heston, a village in Middlesex, to the north west of Hounslow.
Hewet’scourt, in the Strand.†
Heweycourt, near Halfmoon street, in the Strand.†
Heydoncourt, Heydon square.†
Heydonpassage, Heydon square.†
Heydonsquare, on the east side of the Minories.†
Heydonyard, Heydon square.†
Hickman’scourt, Mill street.†
Hick’scourt, Shoreditch.†
Hicks’s Hall, in St. John’s street, facing West Smithfield, is the county hall in which the justices of Middlesex hold their sessions. This is a very plain brick edifice with a portico at the entrance. It was built by Sir Baptist Hicks, Viscount Campden, who was for some time a mercer in Cheapside, and died in 1629, and from him it received its name.Stow.
Hicks’syard, Angel alley, Little Moorfields.†
Hide Park, is in a very fine situation to the west of the new buildings of London, from which it extends to Kensington; it being encompassed by a wall, and well stocked with deer. There is a place in it called theRing, which used formerly to be frequented by people of fashion in their coaches. Mr. Misson, who published an account of his travels over England, speaking of thisRing, which was thenin vogue, says, “The coaches drive round and round, and when they have turned for some time round one way, they face about and turn t’other: so rolls the world.” Here is a bason of water, formed to supply the above-mentioned new buildings, and a fine serpentine river. There are several good prospects from it. A magazine for gunpowder has been lately built in this Park near the Ring.
Hide Parkcorner, Piccadilly, by the corner of Hide Park.
Hide Parkstreet, Hide Park.
Hidestreet, Bloomsbury.
Hide’scourt, 1. King street, Golden square.† 2. Noble street.† 3. Hide’s rents, Chick lane.†
High Holborn, that part of Holborn beyond the bars, and out of the liberties of the city.
High Holborn Liberty, which consists of that part without the bars, is one of the two liberties in the county of Middlesex and hundred of Osulston, belonging to the parish of St. Andrew, Holborn; though by its separate government, (exclusive of that of the church) it acts in all respects as if independent.Maitland.
Highstreet, 1. Aldgate. 2. Coverlead’s fields. 3. St. Giles’s.
High Timberstreet, Broken Wharf.
Highgate, a large and populous village in Middlesex, a little above four miles north of London, is so called from its high situation on the top of a hill, and a gate erected there above 400 years ago, to receive toll for the Bishop of London; upon an old miry road from Grays Inn lane to Barnet, being turned through that Bishop’s park. The church, which is a very old edifice, is a chapel of ease to Pancras and Hornsey; and where it stands was formerly an hermitage; near which the Lord Chief Baron Cholmondeley built and endowed a free school in 1562, which was enlarged in the year 1570, by Edwin Sandys, Bishop of London, and a chapel added to it. There are also here several dissenting meeting houses. On the side next London, the fineness of the prospect over the city, as far as Shooter’s hill, and below Greenwich, has occasioned several handsome edifices to be built; particularly a very fine house erected by the late Sir William Ashurst. It is remarkable that most of the public houses in Highgate have a large pair of horns placed over the sign; and that when any of the country people stop for refreshment, a pair of large horns fixed to the end of a staff, is brought to them, and they are earnestly pressed to be sworn. If they consent, akind of burlesque oath is administered; that they will never eat brown bread when they can get white; never kiss the maid when they can kiss the mistress; and abundance of other things of the same kind, which they repeat after the person who brings the horns, with one hand fixed upon them. This ridiculous ceremony is altered according to the sex of the person who is sworn; who is allowed to add to each article, except I like the other better; the whole being over, he or she must kiss the horns, and pay a shilling for the oath, to be spent among the company, to which he or she belongs.
Highgateroad, Tottenham court.
Hilliard’scourt, Old Gravel lane.†
Hillington, orHillingdon, the name of two villages in Middlesex, situated near each other, at a small distance from Uxbridge, and distinguished by the epithets Great and Little. The church of Great Hillington is a vicarage, to which the town of Uxbridge is a hamlet, and here Meinhardt, late Duke of Schomberg had a seat; and Mr. Chetwynd has one at Little Hillington.
Hill’sAlmshouse, in Rochester row, Tothill fields, was erected in the year 1708, pursuant to the will of Emery Hill, Esq; for the use of six poor men and their wives,and six poor widows. The former are allowed 7l.4s.and a chaldron of coals every year; and the latter 5l.and a chaldron of coalsper annum, and a gown every other year.
The same gentleman erected an almshouse in Petty France, Westminster, in the year 1677, for the reception of three men and their wives; but left it to be endowed out of the surplusage of the above almshouse; however it does not appear that there ever was any surplus.Maitland.
Hill’srents, Helmet court, Butcher Row, near Temple Bar.†
Hill’swharf, Wapping Wall.†
Hill’syard, Shoreditch.
Hindcourt, 1. Coleman street, Lothbury. 2. Drury lane. 3. Fleet street.
Hind’salley, Maiden lane.†
Hind’srents, Maze Pond street.†
Hinton’sAlmshouse, in Plough alley, Barbican, was erected in the year 1732,pursuant to the will of Alice Hinton, of Hackney, widow, who bequeathed the sum of 2000l.for erecting and endowing an almshouse for twelve poor widows of the parish of St. Giles, Cripplegate; but the building was only erected for six, occasioned, it is said, by the loss of effects at sea, and 700l.by African stock. Eachwidow has, however, two neat rooms, and the house is endowed with 22l.per annum, arising from ground rent.Maitland.
Hitchcock’syard, Newington Causeway.†
Hoar’syard, Bishopsgate street.†
Hobbin’scourt, Long lane, Southwark.†
Hobb’srents, Marigold street.†
Hockenhuil’scourt, Black Eagle street, Spitalfields.†
Hockleyin the Hole, near Clerkenwell.
Hoddesdon, a hamlet situated on the river Lea, in the parish of Amswell and Brocksbourn in Hertfordshire, nineteen miles from London. Queen Elizabeth granted a grammar school to be kept here, and an almshouse was founded in the reign of King Henry VI. by Richard Rich, Sheriff of London. It is a great thoroughfare on the north road, and has a market on Thursday, and fair eleven days after St. Peter’s.
Hodge’srents, Nightingale lane.†
Hogalley, East Smithfield.*
Hog Island, Liquorpond street.
Hogland, 1. St. Giles’s Pound.* 2. Norton Falgate.*
Hogyard, 1. East Smithfield.* 2. Flemish church yard.* 3. Kent street.* 4. Liquorpond street. 5. Tothill street.* 6. White’s yard, Rosemary lane.*
Holand’scourt, Back alley, Wapping.†
Holand’s Legure, near Green walk.†
Holand’s Legurewalk, Green walk.†
Holandstreet, 1. Black Friars. 2. Great Wardour street.
Holborn, extends from the bottom of Snow hill to Broad St. Giles’s. This street was anciently a village called Oldborne, built on the bank of a brook or borne called Olborne, or Holbourn, that sprung up near Middle row, and flowed down the hill in a clear current, till it fell into the river of Wells at Holborn bridge. Along this rivulet the village gradually extended itself west ward, and communicated its name to this long and spacious street, afterwards built upon the same spot. This brook now runs the same course along the common sewer. Holborn was first paved from the bridge to the bars in the year 1535.
Holbornbars, near the end of Gray’s Inn lane, where the liberties of the city end on that side.
Holbornbridge, a bridge erected over Fleet ditch, at the bottom of Holborn hill, where the river of Wells, also called Turnmill brook, fell into it.
Holborncourt, the first court in Gray’s Inn, on passing through the gate out of Holborn.
Holbornhill, the descent at the east end of Holborn.
Holbornrow, Lincoln’s Inn fields.
Holden, orNonsuch court, Gracechurch street.†
Holdingstreet, Rotherhith.
Hole in the Wall, Little Russel street.*
Hole in the Wallyard, Goddard’s rents.*
Holfordalley, Drury lane.†
Holfordcourt, Fenchurch street.†
Holford’swalk, Fore street, Lambeth.†
Holiday’scourt, 1. Blue Anchor alley.† 2. Narrow Wall.†
Holiday’syard, Creed lane.†
Holiwell, a fine spring, now choaked up with soil and a hill of rubbish called Holiwell Mount, near Shoreditch. This spring, in the times of popery, was famed for its miraculous virtues, and thence obtained the name ofHoly.
A little to the south of this well, but within its precinct, stood an ancient priory of Benedictine nuns, which after many repairs, was rebuilt by Sir Thomas Lovel, Knight of the Garter, in the reigns of Henry VII. and VIII. who also gave to this priory a considerable benefaction in land, and was here buried in a chapel which he himself had erected. In commemoration of this benefactor, the followinglines were curiously painted in most of the glass windows:
All the nunnes in Holiwell,Pray for the soul of Thomas Lovel.
All the nunnes in Holiwell,Pray for the soul of Thomas Lovel.
All the nunnes in Holiwell,Pray for the soul of Thomas Lovel.
All the nunnes in Holiwell,
Pray for the soul of Thomas Lovel.
This priory, at the general suppression of monasteries, was surrendered to Henry VIII. in the year 1539, and its ruins are still to be seen in St. John’s court in Holiwell lane: the populace unjustly consider these as the remains of St. John’s palace, tho’ it does not appear that ever any royal mansion was in this neighbourhood.
Holiwellcourt, 1. Holiwell lane, Shoreditch. 2. St. Catharine’s.
Holiwelllane, 1. Shoreditch. 2. St. Catharine’s, Tower hill.
Holiwellmount, Holiwell lane, Shoreditch.
Holiwellrow, Horseshoe alley, Shoreditch.
Holiwellstreet, 1. Shoreditch. 2. In the Strand; so called from its neighbourhood to St. Clement’s well.
Holland House, a little beyond Kensington, is a fine old large Gothic structure built of brick, very pleasantly situated on a rising ground, and is at present the seat of the right Hon. Henry Fox.The celebrated Mr. Addison, who married the Countess of Warwick, lived in this house.
Holles’sAlmshouse, in Great St. Helen’s, near Bishopsgate street, was founded by the Lady Holles, relict of Sir William Holles, Lord Mayor of London, in the year 1539, for six poor men or women, and endowed with 10l.a year, out of which each person was to receive 7d.a week, and the surplus to be laid out in coals for their use.
As an addition to this foundation, Alice Smith of London, widow, devised lands to the value of 15l.a year; which, with the above mentioned, being greatly increased in their revenues, the company of Skinners, who are the trustees, have rebuilt the house in a handsome manner, and augmented the pensions of the poor.Maitland.
Hollisstreet, 1. Clare market.† 2. Oxford street.†
TheHollow, near Brick lane.
Hollowaycourt, Nevil’s court, Rosemary lane.
Hollybushcourt, St. Clement’s, Temple Bar.*
Holman’salley, Bunhill row.†
Holywell.SeeHoliwell.
Homerton, a hamlet belonging to Hackney.
Honesty’ssquare, Chick lane.
Honesty’syard, St. James’s court, Chick lane.
Honeycourt yard, Ailesbury street.
Honeylane, Cheapside.
Honeylane market, behind the north side of Cheapside, facing Bow church. After the fire of London, Honey lane, and other buildings, were converted into this market, among which was the parish church of Allhallows Honey lane. It is the smallest market in the city, being but 193 feet in length from east to west, and 97 from north to south. In the middle is a market house, which stands on pillars, has rooms over it, and is crowned with a bell tower. In this market there are 135 standing stalls for butchers covered over, and also several stalls for fruiterers; the passages into it are inhabited by fishmongers, poulterers, &c. It is famous for the goodness of the provisions sold there, with which it is well supplied on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
Honeysucklecourt, Grub street, Fore street.*
Hooker’scourt, St. Nicholas lane.*
Hooke’s Holeyard, Upper Ground street.*
Hoopalley, 1. Old street.* 2. Portpool lane.*
Hoopyard, 1. Little Swan alley.* 2. New Fish street hill.* 3. In the Strand.*
Hooper’ssquare, Goodman’s fields.†
Hooper’syard, 1. Brick lane, Spitalfields.† 2. Tooley street.†
Hopgarden, St. Martin’s lane, Charing Cross.
Hopkin’srents, Crown alley, Tooley street.†
Hopkin’srow, near Petty France, Westminster.†
Hopkin’sstreet, Broad street, Poland street.†
Hopton’sAlmshouse, in the parish of Christ Church, Surry, was founded by Charles Hopton, Esq; for twenty-six poor men, who have been housekeepers and come to decay, each of whom has an upper and lower room, with 10l.a year paid monthly, and a chaldron of coals. The building is handsome, neat, and spacious. The founder died in the year 1730, and the poor men were first admitted two years after by the minister and two churchwardens of that parish, and ten other gentlemen, who are trustees for the management of this charity.
Hoptonstreet, Berwick street.†
Hornalley, 1. Aldersgate street.* 2. Liquorpond street.* 3. Tower street, Tower hill.*
Horncourt, 1. Basing lane.* 2. Beer lane,Tower street, near Tower hill.* 3. Peter street, Westminster.*
Horn Taverncourt, St. Margaret’s lane.*
Hornyard, Goodman’s fields.*
Hornchurch, a town near Rumford in Essex, was formerly called Horn Monastery from a large pair of leaden horns; which, according to tradition, were placed there by a certain King, who disliking its former name Hore Church, so called from its being built by a whore, in order to attone for her sins, altered its name by setting up the horns.
Horners, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King Charles I. in the year 1638. They are governed by a Master, two Wardens, and nine Assistants; but have neither livery nor hall.
In the reign of Henry IV. this company was greatly reduced, by the almost general exportation of horns; when applying to parliament in the year 1465, it was enacted, that from thenceforward no other horns should be exported, but such as were refused by the horners of this city and kingdom, on the penalty of forfeiture: and for the more effectual execution of this law, the Wardens of the company of Horners of this city were impowered to search for all such goods and merchandize, both wrought and unwrought,not only within this city and 20 miles round, but in the fairs of Sturbridge and Ely, and all such goods as were found bad and unmarketable were to be forfeited.Maitland.
Hornsey, a village in Middlesex, five miles from London. About a mile nearer this, is a coppice of young trees, calledHornsey Wood, at the entrance of which is a genteel public house, to which great numbers of persons resort from the city. This house being situated on the top of a hill, affords a delightful prospect of the neighbouring country.
Hornsyard, 1. Cloth fair, East Smithfield.* 2. Kent street.* 3. Peter street, Westster. 4. Stony street.* 5. Whitechapel.*
Master of theHorse. See the articleMaster of the Horse.
Horse and Groomyard, Wood street, Westminster.*
Horse and Trumpetyard, Poor Jewry lane, Aldgate.
Horse Guards, a noble modern edifice opposite to the Banquetting-house, Whitehall. It consists of a center and two wings, and has an air of solidity perfectly agreeable to the nature of the building. It receives its name from the horse guards, who while the King is at St. James’sare here on duty, two at a time being constantly mounted and completely armed, under two handsome slope porches detached from the building, and erected to shelter them from the weather. This structure is equally calculated for the use of the foot as well as the horse on duty.
In the center of this edifice is an arched passage into St. James’s Park, and the building over this has a pediment, in which are the King’s arms in bass relief. But this arch, as it is the passage of his Majesty to and from the house of Peers, should have been more lofty and noble. At each extreme of this center is a pavilion. But the cupola, which is not seen in the view represented in the plate of the Treasury, has but little to recommend it. The middle face of the cupola presents a dial; and the aperture in the lower part of this, and on the several stages of the other, are well calculated to break the plainness, without weakening the building, either in reality or appearance. The wings are plainer than the center. They each consist of a fore front, projecting a little, with ornamented windows in the principal story, and a plain one in the sides. Each has its pediment, with a circular window in the center: and the whole has a proper air of strength and plainness.
Horsewalk, Windmill hill, Moorfields.
Horse and Cartyard, St. John’s street.
Horseferrybank, Millbank, Westminster.
Horseferrylane, Fore street, Lambeth.
Horseferryroad, Tothill fields.
Horselydown, Tooley street. All the tract called Horselydown, including the streets, square and lane of the same name, was originally a grazing ground, whence it was denominatedHorse Down, which by corruption was changed toHorselydown.Stow, last edit.
Horselydownfair street, near Free school street.
HorselydownOld lane, Horselydown.
Horselydownsquare, Shad Thames.
Horselydownstairs, Horselydown.
Horselydownstreet, St. Olave’s, Southwark.
Horsemongerlane, near Blackman street.
Horseshoealley, 1. Anchor street.* 2. Bank side, Southwark.* 3. Bunhill row.* 4. Fashion street.* 5. Golden lane.* 6. Maiden lane.* 7. Moorfields.* 8. Petticoat lane. 9. Petty France. 10. Thread-needle street.* 11. Whitechapel.*
Horseshoe Alleystairs, Bank side.*
Horseshoecourt, 1. Bridge yard, Tooley street.* 2. Clement’s lane, near Temple Bar.* 3. Cock lane, West Smithfield.*4. Fashion street.* 5. Giltspur street, without Newgate.* 6. Old street.* 7. Peter street, Hicks’s hall.* 8. Seething lane.*
Horseshoepassage, Blowbladder street.*
Horseshoeyard, 1. Brook street.* 2. Old Gravel lane.*
Hosierlane, West Smithfield; so called from its being formerly inhabited by the hosiers.Stow.
Hoskin’scourt, Hartshorn lane, in the Strand.†
Hospitalpassage, leading from Christ’s hospital into Butcherhall lane.*
Hospitalwalk, Hoxton.
Houghtonstreet, Clare market.†
Hotwateralley, Paris Garden lane.
Hovel, Hog lane, Norton Falgate.
Houndsditch, extends from Bishopsgate street without to Aldgate street within, and runs along the outside of the city wall. Here was formerly the city moat, which obtained the name of Houndsditch, from the number of dead dogs flung into it; and this ditch being filled up, the street built upon it obtained the same name.Maitland.
Hounslow, a village 12 miles north of London, on the edge of the heath of the same name, which is equally famous for horse-races and robberies. There are here achapel and a charity school. The village belongs to two parishes, the north side of the street to Hefton, and the south to Isleworth. In this place was formerly a convent of mendicant friars, who by their institution were to beg alms for the ransom of captives taken by the infidels. On its dissolution by King Henry VIII. that Prince gave it to the Lord Windsor, and it was afterwards purchased by Mr. Auditor Roan.
Housewifealley, Old Bethlem.
Master of theHoushold. See the articleMaster of the Houshold.
Howardstreet, Norfolk street. Lord Arundel’s house stood there, and from thence both Arundel and Norfolk street had their names.
Howard’salley, 1. Angel alley.† 2. Back street, Lambeth.† 3. Clerkenwell close.†
Howard’s Causewayalley, Narrow Wall.†
Howford’scourt, 1. Fenchurch street.† St. Nicholas lane, Lombard street.†
Hoxton, near Shoreditch. This was for many ages a village, and in the Conqueror’s Survey is namedHocheston: but by the increase of buildings it has been for some time past joined to this metropolis.
Hoxtonmarket, Hoxton.
Hoxtonroad, Hoxton.
Hoxtonsquare, Hoxton.
Hoyle’scourt, Noble street, Foster lane.†
Hubbart’srents, Houndsditch.†
Hubbart’syard, Brown’s lane.†
Hucker’scourt, St. Nicholas lane.†
Hudson’s BayCompany. Though the extensive countries to which this Company trade, were discovered by Sir Sebastian Cabot, in the year 1497, yet this commerce does not seem to have been fully settled till after the year 1670, at which time King Charles II. by his letters patent incorporated the adventurers by the title ofThe Governor and Company of the Adventurers of England trading into Hudson’s Bay, and granted them and their successors for ever, all the streights, bays, seas, rivers, lakes, creeks, islands, shores, lands, territories and places whatsoever, within Hudson’s Streights and Hudson’s Bay.
This Company carry on a considerable trade to the above places by a joint stock, and have settled several small factories, to which the natives repair with their rich furs, skins, and other commodities of the country, which they exchange for those of England.
This corporation is under the direction of a Governor, Deputy Governor, andseven Assistants, who have a hall which stands backward in the south side of Fenchurch street. This is a very fine brick building, adorned with pilasters, architraves, &c.Maitland.
Hudson’scourt, 1. Tower hill.† 2. Vine street, Little Chandos street.†
Huet’scourt, in the Strand.†
Huet’srents, Grub street, Fore street.†
Huggenalley, 1. Wood street, Cheapside. 2. Huggen lane.
Huggenlane, Thames street.
Hugh’scourt, Water lane, Black Friars.†
Hulbert’sAlmshouse, a very handsome building contiguous to St. Peter’s hospital at Newington Butts. SeeFishmongersAlmshouse.
Humfrey’salley, Shoreditch.†
Hungerfordmarket, near the west end of the Strand, and at a small distance from the Thames. In this place was anciently a large house, with a garden, the seat of Sir Edward Hungerford, which he converted into buildings. There is here a good market house, and over it a French church: but the market house turns to little account, notwithstanding its convenient situation for the gardeners to land their greens, &c. at the stairs.
Hungerfordstairs, Hungerford market.†
Hungerford Stairspassage, Hungerford market.†
Hungerfordstreet, in the Strand, leading to the market.†
CommonHunt. SeeCommon.
Hunt’scourt, 1. Castle street, Leicester fields.† 2. Hunt’s street.† 3. St. Martin’s lane, Charing Cross.†
Hunt’srents, Goswell street.†
Hunt’sstreet, Spicer’s street.†
Hunt’swharf, near Thames street.†
Hurst’sgardens, St. George’s fields.†
Husband’sstreet, 1. Near Berwick street.† 2. By Knave’s acre.†
Hussey’salley. Wood street.†
Hutchinson’swharf, Milford lane.†
Hydonsquare, near the east end of the Minories.†
Hydonsquare court, Hydon square.†
Hydonyard, leading from the Minories to Hydon square.†