The last thing shewn, are what are vulgarly called the geometry stairs, which are so artfully contrived as to hang together without visible support; but this kind of stairs, however curious in themselves, are neither new nor uncommon.Parentalia. Historical account of the curiosities of London, &c.
The cathedral church of St. Paul’s is deservedly esteemed the second in Europe, not for magnitude only but for beauty and grandeur. St. Peter’s at Rome is undoubtedly the first, but at the same time it is generally acknowledged by all travellers of taste, that the outside, and particularly the front of St. Paul’s, is much superior to St. Peter’s. The two towers at the west end, though faulty in some respects, are yet elegant, and the portico finely marks the principal entrance. The loggia, crowned with a pediment, with its alto relievo and statues, make in the whole a fine shape, whereas St. Peter’s is a straight line without any break. The dome is extremely magnificent, and by rising higher than that at Rome, is seen to more advantage on a near approach. The inside, though noble, falls short of St. Peter’s. The discontinuingthe architrave of the great entablature over the arches in the middle of the isle, is a fault the architects can never forgive. Notwithstanding, without a critical examination, it appears very striking, especially on entering the north or south door. The side isles though small are very elegant, and if it does not equal St. Peter’s, there is much to be said in defence both of it and the architect, who was not permitted to decorate it as he intended, through a want of taste in the managers, who seemed to have forgot that it was intended a national ornament. St. Peter’s has all the advantages of painting and sculpture of the greatest masters, and is encrusted with a variety of the finest marbles, no cost being spared to make it exceed every thing of its kind. The great geometrical knowledge of the architect can never be sufficiently admired, but this can be come at only by a thorough inspection of the several parts.
For the farther satisfaction of the curious reader, we shall conclude this article with an account of the dimensions of St. Paul’s cathedral compared with those of St. Peter’s at Rome, from an account published some years ago: the measures of the latter being taken from the authentic dimensions of the best architects of Rome, reduced to English measure.
The whole expence of erecting this edifice, on deducting the sums expended in fruitless attempts to repair the old cathedral, amounted to 736,752l.2s.3d.
St.Paul’sBakehouse court, Godliman’s street.
St.Paul’schain, a lane on the south of St. Paul’s Church yard.
St.Paul’sChurch yard, 1. The area round St. Paul’s cathedral, surrounded on the north and west chiefly by booksellers and toy-shops, and on the south side by the makers of chairs, screens and cabinets. 2. Behind Covent Garden church.
St.Paul’sCollege court, St. Paul’s Church yard.
St.Paul’sCovent Garden, a very noble edifice built by Inigo Jones for a chapel, but now a parish church. SeeCovent Garden.
Paul’scourt, 1. Huggen lane, Thames street. 2. Wood street, Cheapside.
Paul’s Headcourt, Fenchurch street.
St.Paul’sSchool, at the east end of St. Paul’s Church yard, was founded by Dr. John Collet Dean of St. Paul’s in the year 1509, for a Master, an Usher and Chaplain, and an hundred and fifty-three scholars; for the teaching of whom the founder appointed a salary of 34l.13s.4d.for the upper Master; for the under Master 17l.6s.8d.and for the Chaplain or third Master, 8l.per annum. He appointed the company of Mercers trusteesof this school, and by the improvement of the estate since that time, the good management of the company, and some additional sums left to this foundation, the salaries of the Masters are become considerable; the upper Master having 300l.a year, besides the advantage of additional scholars and boarders, by which he generally makes about 200l.a year more; the second Master has 250l.a year, and the third 90l.a year.
The original building was consumed by the fire of London, and soon after the present structure was raised in its place. It is a very singular, and at the same time a very handsome edifice. The central building in which is the school, is of stone; it is much lower than the ends, and has only one series of windows, which are large, and raised a considerable height from the ground. The center is adorned with rustic, and on the top is a handsome pediment, in which are the founder’s arms placed in a shield; upon the apex stands a figure representing Learning. Under this pediment are two windows which are square, and on each side are two circular windows crowned with busts, and the spaces between them are handsomely ornamented by work in relievo. Upon a level with the foot of the pediment runson either side a handsome balustrade, on which is placed on each side a large bust with a radiant crown, between two flaming vases.
The buildings at the ends of this elegant structure are narrow, and rise to a great height. They are of brick ornamented with stone, and have each a small door, and are crowned at the top with a small balustrade.
St.Paul’sShadwell, owes its existence to the increase of buildings. Shadwell, though now joined to London, was anciently a hamlet belonging to Stepney; but being greatly increased in the number of its inhabitants, Thomas Neale, Esq; erected the present church in the year 1656 for their accommodation; and in 1669, this district was by act of parliament constituted a distinct parish from that of Stepney, and 120l.per annumwas granted for the maintenance of the Rector in lieu of tithes, besides a considerable glebe, oblations and church dues, so that the living is worth about 324l.a year.Maitland.
This church, which is but a mean edifice built with brick, is eighty-seven feet long, and sixty-three broad; the height to the roof is twenty-eight feet, and that of the steeple sixty. The bodyhas a few windows with rustic arches, and some very mean ones in the roof. At the corners of the building are balls placed on a kind of small pedestals. The tower is carried up without ornament, and is terminated with balls at the corners in the same manner as the body of the church, and is crowned with a plain low turret.
Paul’swharf, near Bennet’s Hill.☐
Paul’swharf stairs, Paul’s wharf.☐
Pay Officeof the Navy, a plain building in Broad street near London wall, under the direction of the Treasurer and Paymaster, who pay for all the stores for the use of the royal navy, and the wages of the sailors in his Majesty’s service.
The Treasurer, who is the principal officer, has a salary of 2000l.per annum, and the Paymaster, who is also accomptant, has 500l.a year; under this last are eight clerks who attend the payment of wages; three, who have 80l.a year; and five who have 40l.a year each: besides two extra-clerks, who have each 50l.a year. There are also five clerks for paying bills in course, and writing ledgers, viz. three who have 80l.a year; and two who have only 40l.a year each; besides an extra-clerk who has 50l.a year.
In this office there is likewise a Cashierof the victualling, who has a salary of 150l.per annum, and has three clerks under him, one of 70l.one of 50l.and one of 40l.a year.
Peachtreecourt, Butcher row, without Temple Bar.‡
Peachycourt, Sheer lane, within Temple bar.
Peacockalley, Milford lane, in the Strand.*
Peacockcourt, 1. Fleet market.* 2. Giltspur street, without Newgate.* 3. Whitechapel.*
Peacocklane, Newington butts.*
Peacockyard, 1. Islington.* 2. Porter’s street.* 3. Whitecross street, Cripplegate.* 4. Whitehorse alley, Cowcross, Smithfield.*
Pead’syard, Bankside, Southwark.†
Peakstreet, Swallow street.†
Pealalley, Upper Shadwell.†
Pealyard, Mint street.†
Pearlcourt, Little Pearl street, Spitalfields.* 2. White Friars.*
Pearlstreet, 1. Grey Eagle street, Spitalfields.* 2. Silver street, Bloomsbury.*
Peartreealley, 1. Cinnamon street.‡ 2. Shoreditch.‡ 3. Wapping.‡
Peartreecourt, 1. Aldersgate street.‡ 2. Clerkenwell close.‡ 3. Hockley in the Hole.‡
Peartreestreet, Brick lane, Old street.‡
Peascodcourt, St. John’s street, Smithfield.
Peas Porrigealley, Gravel lane.‖
Peasyard, Nightingale lane.
Peckham, a pleasant village in Surry, in the parish of Camberwell. Here is the seat of the late Lord Trevor, built in the reign of King James II. by Sir Thomas Bond, who being deeply engaged in the pernicious schemes of that imprudent Prince, was obliged to leave the kingdom with him, when the house was plundered by the populace, and became forfeited to the crown. The front of the house stands to the north, with a spacious garden before it, from which extends two rows of large elms, of considerable length, through which the Tower of London terminates the prospect. But on each side of this avenue you have a view of London; and the masts of vessels appearing at high water over the trees and houses up to Greenwich, greatly improve the prospect.Peckham, which lies on the back side of the gardens, is shut out from the view by plantations. The kitchen garden and the walls were planted with the choicest fruit trees from France, and an experienced gardener was sent for from Paris to have the management of them; so that the collectionof fruit trees in this garden has been accounted one of the best in England.
After the death of the late Lord Trevor, this seat was purchased by a private gentleman, who began to make very considerable improvements, and had he lived a few years longer, would have rendered it a very delightful retreat.
There are also at Peckham several other villas, and neat houses of retirement, inhabited by the tradesmen of London, and those who have retired from business.
Peckham Rye, a village in Surry, on the south side of Peckham.
Pedlarsstreet, New Bond street.
Peelcourt, Glasshouse yard, Goswell street.
Peelyard, near Peel court, Glasshouse yard.
Peerless Pool, near Old street road, was formerly a spring that overflowing its banks, caused a very dangerous pond, which from the number of persons who lost their lives there, obtained the name of Perilous Pool. To prevent these accidents it was in a manner filled up, till in the year 1743, Mr. Kemp converted it into what may perhaps be esteemed one of the compleatest swimming baths in theworld; and as it is the only one of the kind in Christendom, it may deserve a particular notice.
You enter from a bowling-green on the south side, by a neat arcade thirty-feet long, furnished with a small collection of modern books for the entertainment of those subscribers who delight in reading. Contiguous are many dressing apartments; some of which are open, and others rendered private, all paved with purbeck stone; and on each side of the bath is a bower divided into apartments for dressing. At the other end is placed a circular bench, capable of accommodating forty gentlemen at a sitting, under the shelter of a wall. One side is inclosed by a mount 150 feet long, planted with a great variety of shrubs, and on the top is an agreeable terrace walk planted with limes. The pleasure bath is 170 feet long, and above 100 broad; it is five feet deep at the bottom in the middle, and under four feet at the sides, and the descent into it is by four pair of marble steps to a fine gravel bottom. Here is also a cold bath, generally allowed to be the largest in England, it being forty feet long, and twenty feet broad, with two flights of marble steps, and a dressing room at each end; at four feet deep is a bottom of letticework, under which the water is five feet deep. To these the ingenious projector has added a well stocked fish pond 320 feet long, for the diversion of those subscribers who are fond of angling, and adorned on each side with arbours, and with a terrace, the slopes of which are planted with many thousand shrubs, and the walks one of gravel, and the other of grass, are bordered with stately limes. The east end the garden extends to a genteel public house, and the westward is terminated by another garden, and a well-built private house inhabited by Mr. Kemp, the son of the ingenious projector, who after having made these improvements, changed the name fromPeriloustoPeerless Pool.
Peght’syard, Castle lane.†
Pelhamstreet, Brick lane, Spitalfields.†
Pelicancourt, Little Britain.*
Pelicanstairs, Wapping.*
Pelicanyard, Butcher row, East Smithfield.*
Pemberton’srents, 1. Hand alley.† 2. New street.†
Pembertonrow, Fetter lane.†
Pemell’sAlmshouse, at Mile-end, was founded by Mr. John Pemell, citizen and draper, in the year 1698, for four poor drapers widows, and the same number ofseamen’s widows, to be presented by the Churchwardens of Old Stepney parish. Each of these almswomen have an allowance of 1s.8d.per week, half a chaldron of coals every year, and a gown every other year.Maitland.
Pemlico, near Buckingham House, St. James’s Park.
Penningtonstreet, Old Gravel lane.†
Pennybarber’salley, Stony lane.‖
Pennyfieldstreet, Poplar.
Penny Post Office, an office unknown in other countries, was projected by Mr. David Murray, an upholder in Pater noster row in the year 1683, who by this admirable and useful project, deserves to be considered as a benefactor to the city, and to have his name transmitted down to posterity. He communicated the scheme to Mr. William Dockwra, who carried it on for some time with great success, till the government laid claim to it as a royal prerogative; Dockwra was obliged to submit, and in return had a pension of 200l.per annumallowed him by the King during life.
It was erected for carrying letters not only of one sheet but of several, to any part of this great metropolis, or the adjacent villages, on paying only one penny on delivering the letter to be thus carried:but at some of the more distant villages, an additional penny is demanded of the person to whom the letter is delivered.
This office is under the direction of the Postmaster-general; who appoints, as managers, a Comptroller, an Accomptant, a Receiver and Comptroller’s clerk; who have under their management six sorters, and eight subsorters of letters, seventy-four messengers, or letter-carriers, and 334 houses within the bills of mortality, for receiving or taking in letters, which are divided among the six offices following; the general office in St. Christopher’s Church yard, and the five offices called the sorting houses, one at Westminster, one at Lincoln’s Inn, St. Paul’s office, in Pater noster row, St. Mary Overy’s in Southwark, and the Tower hill office: besides these there are 500 shops and coffee-houses, from whence the messengers collect and carry the letters to their proper offices every hour, where being sorted, they are sent out again to be delivered. But as each of the six offices has a number of villages under its peculiar direction, those letters that require great speed should be sent to that office, whose peculiar province it is to forward them to the village to which you would have them sent. This renders it necessary to give alist of these villages and places, peculiarly under the care of each office: but we shall not attempt to follow the other writers, who have prefixed to the names of these villages the number of times to which letters are carried to, and returned from each; because that is entirely uncertain, and it is sufficient that letters are carried and returned from each at least once a day; since this is all that can be depended upon.
In the map we have given of the environs round London, the extent and limits of the Penny Post are shewn by a circular coloured line drawn round the city.
The chief office in St. Christopher’s alley, Threadneedle street, to which belong, one sorter, two subsorters, twenty messengers, and seventy-three receiving houses. This office collects, receives, conveys, and delivers letters to and from the following places, besides what it delivers in its own proper district in London.
AldersbrookAvery-hatchBarkingBednal greenBishops-hallBowBromley in MiddlesexBush-hallCambridge heathChigwelChigwel rowDalstonEdmontonGreen-manGreen-streetHackneyHagerstoneHam East and WestHoxtonJenkinsIlfordKingslandLayton-stoneLoughton-hallLow-laytonLocksfordMile-endNewington greenNewington stokeOldfordPalmer’s greenPlaistow in EssexRipplesideRuckfoldsSouthgateStepneyStratfordTottenhamTottenham High crossValentinesUptonWalthamstowWanstedWinchmore hillWoodfordWoodford row, and bridge
AldersbrookAvery-hatchBarkingBednal greenBishops-hallBowBromley in MiddlesexBush-hallCambridge heathChigwelChigwel rowDalstonEdmontonGreen-manGreen-streetHackneyHagerstoneHam East and WestHoxtonJenkinsIlfordKingslandLayton-stoneLoughton-hallLow-laytonLocksfordMile-endNewington greenNewington stokeOldfordPalmer’s greenPlaistow in EssexRipplesideRuckfoldsSouthgateStepneyStratfordTottenhamTottenham High crossValentinesUptonWalthamstowWanstedWinchmore hillWoodfordWoodford row, and bridge
AldersbrookAvery-hatchBarkingBednal greenBishops-hallBowBromley in MiddlesexBush-hallCambridge heathChigwelChigwel rowDalstonEdmontonGreen-manGreen-streetHackneyHagerstoneHam East and WestHoxtonJenkinsIlfordKingslandLayton-stoneLoughton-hallLow-laytonLocksfordMile-endNewington greenNewington stokeOldfordPalmer’s greenPlaistow in EssexRipplesideRuckfoldsSouthgateStepneyStratfordTottenhamTottenham High crossValentinesUptonWalthamstowWanstedWinchmore hillWoodfordWoodford row, and bridge
Aldersbrook
Avery-hatch
Barking
Bednal green
Bishops-hall
Bow
Bromley in Middlesex
Bush-hall
Cambridge heath
Chigwel
Chigwel row
Dalston
Edmonton
Green-man
Green-street
Hackney
Hagerstone
Ham East and West
Hoxton
Jenkins
Ilford
Kingsland
Layton-stone
Loughton-hall
Low-layton
Locksford
Mile-end
Newington green
Newington stoke
Oldford
Palmer’s green
Plaistow in Essex
Rippleside
Ruckfolds
Southgate
Stepney
Stratford
Tottenham
Tottenham High cross
Valentines
Upton
Walthamstow
Wansted
Winchmore hill
Woodford
Woodford row, and bridge
St. Paul’s office is kept in Queen’s head alley, in Pater noster row, which collects, receives, conveys and delivers letters to and from the following and adjacent places, besides what it delivers within its proper district in London.
Black-mary’s holeBoarded riverCambray houseCold bathCopenhagenFrog laneHolloway, Upper and LowerIslingtonMountmillSir John Oldcastle’sTorrington laneWood’s close
Black-mary’s holeBoarded riverCambray houseCold bathCopenhagenFrog laneHolloway, Upper and LowerIslingtonMountmillSir John Oldcastle’sTorrington laneWood’s close
Black-mary’s holeBoarded riverCambray houseCold bathCopenhagenFrog laneHolloway, Upper and LowerIslingtonMountmillSir John Oldcastle’sTorrington laneWood’s close
Black-mary’s hole
Boarded river
Cambray house
Cold bath
Copenhagen
Frog lane
Holloway, Upper and Lower
Islington
Mountmill
Sir John Oldcastle’s
Torrington lane
Wood’s close
The Temple office is kept in Chichester’s rents in Chancery lane, which collects, receives, conveys and delivers letters and parcels to and from the following and adjacent places, besides what it delivers within its own proper district in town.
Battle bridgeBone gateBrillCole harbourConey hatchEast BarnetFinchleyFrog laneHampsteadHighgateHornseyKentish townMussel hillPancrasPinder of WakefieldSouth greenTotteridgeWhetstoneWood green
Battle bridgeBone gateBrillCole harbourConey hatchEast BarnetFinchleyFrog laneHampsteadHighgateHornseyKentish townMussel hillPancrasPinder of WakefieldSouth greenTotteridgeWhetstoneWood green
Battle bridgeBone gateBrillCole harbourConey hatchEast BarnetFinchleyFrog laneHampsteadHighgateHornseyKentish townMussel hillPancrasPinder of WakefieldSouth greenTotteridgeWhetstoneWood green
Battle bridge
Bone gate
Brill
Cole harbour
Coney hatch
East Barnet
Finchley
Frog lane
Hampstead
Highgate
Hornsey
Kentish town
Mussel hill
Pancras
Pinder of Wakefield
South green
Totteridge
Whetstone
Wood green
Westminster office is kept in Pump court near Charing cross, which collects, receives, conveys and delivers letters and parcels to and from the following and adjacent places, besides what it delivers within its own proper district in town.
Abery farmActon, East and WestActon wellsBarry’s walkBase wateringBlack landsBloody bridgeBluncoat laneBollow laneBoston houseBrentford Old & NewBrentford endBrent’s cow houseBride lane houseBrook greenBroom housesBrompton parkBurrowsCastle-bearChelsea, Great and LittleChelsea college—— common—— fieldsChild’s hillChiswickCorney houseCounters bridgeCow house farmCrab tree houseDowel streetDaws laneDollars hillEaling, Great & LittleEaling laneEarl’s courtFoordhookFrog laneFryars placeFulhamFulham fieldsGaggle goose greenGreat and Little Holland houseGibb’s greenGrain houseGreen man, in Uxbridge roadGunnersburyGutters hedgeHammersmithHanger endHanger laneHavenHendonHideHog laneHolsdon greenHoywood hillHudicon fieldsKensingtonKensington gravel pitsKilbornKnightsbridgeLaurence streetLeasing greenLime kilnsLondon stileLord Mayor’s Banqueting houseMaddox laneMary bone, and ParkMasha Mapes, and Masha BrandsMill hillNeathousesNeesdonNoman’s landsNorth endNorth highwayNotting hillsPaddingtonPaddington greenPaddingwick greenPage’s streetParson’s greenPimlicoPurser’s crossSandy endShepherd’s bushShevrick greenShoot-up hillSion hillSion houseSion laneSt. John’s woodStanford brookStarch greenStrand on the greenSutton court, and Little SuttonTottenham courtTurnham greenTyburn road, and houseWaltham greenWemleyWemley greenWestburn greenWestfieldWest endWilsdon greenWindmill lane
Abery farmActon, East and WestActon wellsBarry’s walkBase wateringBlack landsBloody bridgeBluncoat laneBollow laneBoston houseBrentford Old & NewBrentford endBrent’s cow houseBride lane houseBrook greenBroom housesBrompton parkBurrowsCastle-bearChelsea, Great and LittleChelsea college—— common—— fieldsChild’s hillChiswickCorney houseCounters bridgeCow house farmCrab tree houseDowel streetDaws laneDollars hillEaling, Great & LittleEaling laneEarl’s courtFoordhookFrog laneFryars placeFulhamFulham fieldsGaggle goose greenGreat and Little Holland houseGibb’s greenGrain houseGreen man, in Uxbridge roadGunnersburyGutters hedgeHammersmithHanger endHanger laneHavenHendonHideHog laneHolsdon greenHoywood hillHudicon fieldsKensingtonKensington gravel pitsKilbornKnightsbridgeLaurence streetLeasing greenLime kilnsLondon stileLord Mayor’s Banqueting houseMaddox laneMary bone, and ParkMasha Mapes, and Masha BrandsMill hillNeathousesNeesdonNoman’s landsNorth endNorth highwayNotting hillsPaddingtonPaddington greenPaddingwick greenPage’s streetParson’s greenPimlicoPurser’s crossSandy endShepherd’s bushShevrick greenShoot-up hillSion hillSion houseSion laneSt. John’s woodStanford brookStarch greenStrand on the greenSutton court, and Little SuttonTottenham courtTurnham greenTyburn road, and houseWaltham greenWemleyWemley greenWestburn greenWestfieldWest endWilsdon greenWindmill lane
Abery farmActon, East and WestActon wellsBarry’s walkBase wateringBlack landsBloody bridgeBluncoat laneBollow laneBoston houseBrentford Old & NewBrentford endBrent’s cow houseBride lane houseBrook greenBroom housesBrompton parkBurrowsCastle-bearChelsea, Great and LittleChelsea college—— common—— fieldsChild’s hillChiswickCorney houseCounters bridgeCow house farmCrab tree houseDowel streetDaws laneDollars hillEaling, Great & LittleEaling laneEarl’s courtFoordhookFrog laneFryars placeFulhamFulham fieldsGaggle goose greenGreat and Little Holland houseGibb’s greenGrain houseGreen man, in Uxbridge roadGunnersburyGutters hedgeHammersmithHanger endHanger laneHavenHendonHideHog laneHolsdon greenHoywood hillHudicon fieldsKensingtonKensington gravel pitsKilbornKnightsbridgeLaurence streetLeasing greenLime kilnsLondon stileLord Mayor’s Banqueting houseMaddox laneMary bone, and ParkMasha Mapes, and Masha BrandsMill hillNeathousesNeesdonNoman’s landsNorth endNorth highwayNotting hillsPaddingtonPaddington greenPaddingwick greenPage’s streetParson’s greenPimlicoPurser’s crossSandy endShepherd’s bushShevrick greenShoot-up hillSion hillSion houseSion laneSt. John’s woodStanford brookStarch greenStrand on the greenSutton court, and Little SuttonTottenham courtTurnham greenTyburn road, and houseWaltham greenWemleyWemley greenWestburn greenWestfieldWest endWilsdon greenWindmill lane
Abery farm
Acton, East and West
Acton wells
Barry’s walk
Base watering
Black lands
Bloody bridge
Bluncoat lane
Bollow lane
Boston house
Brentford Old & New
Brentford end
Brent’s cow house
Bride lane house
Brook green
Broom houses
Brompton park
Burrows
Castle-bear
Chelsea, Great and Little
Chelsea college
—— common
—— fields
Child’s hill
Chiswick
Corney house
Counters bridge
Cow house farm
Crab tree house
Dowel street
Daws lane
Dollars hill
Ealing, Great & Little
Ealing lane
Earl’s court
Foordhook
Frog lane
Fryars place
Fulham
Fulham fields
Gaggle goose green
Great and Little Holland house
Gibb’s green
Grain house
Green man, in Uxbridge road
Gunnersbury
Gutters hedge
Hammersmith
Hanger end
Hanger lane
Haven
Hendon
Hide
Hog lane
Holsdon green
Hoywood hill
Hudicon fields
Kensington
Kensington gravel pits
Kilborn
Knightsbridge
Laurence street
Leasing green
Lime kilns
London stile
Lord Mayor’s Banqueting house
Maddox lane
Mary bone, and Park
Masha Mapes, and Masha Brands
Mill hill
Neathouses
Neesdon
Noman’s lands
North end
North highway
Notting hills
Paddington
Paddington green
Paddingwick green
Page’s street
Parson’s green
Pimlico
Purser’s cross
Sandy end
Shepherd’s bush
Shevrick green
Shoot-up hill
Sion hill
Sion house
Sion lane
St. John’s wood
Stanford brook
Starch green
Strand on the green
Sutton court, and Little Sutton
Tottenham court
Turnham green
Tyburn road, and house
Waltham green
Wemley
Wemley green
Westburn green
Westfield
West end
Wilsdon green
Windmill lane
Southwark office is kept in Green dragon court, near St. Mary Overy’s church, which collects, receives, conveys and delivers letters and parcels to and from the followingand adjacent places, besides what it delivers within its own proper district in Southwark and London.
BalamBarn-elmsBarnstownBatterseaBattersea reysBlackheathBristow causewayBrockly, Upper and LowerBurntashCamberwellCharltonClapham, and CommonColeharbourDeptford, Upper and LowerDulwich, and commonEast and West SheenElthamGammon hillGarret’s greenGreenwichGrove streetIreland greenKenningtonKewKew greenKnights hillLambethLambeth marshLeeLewishamLimekilnsLongbarnLonghedgeLoughberry houseMartin abbey and millsMarch gateMitchamMortlackMorderMottinghamNew crossNewington buttsNine elmsNorwoodPeckham town, and RyePigs marchPlumsteadPutney greenPutney heathRed-houseRickle-marshRoehamptonRotherhitheSidnamSouth LambethStockwellStrethamTooting, Upper and LowerVauxhallWalworthWandsworth, and CommonWimbletonWoolwich
BalamBarn-elmsBarnstownBatterseaBattersea reysBlackheathBristow causewayBrockly, Upper and LowerBurntashCamberwellCharltonClapham, and CommonColeharbourDeptford, Upper and LowerDulwich, and commonEast and West SheenElthamGammon hillGarret’s greenGreenwichGrove streetIreland greenKenningtonKewKew greenKnights hillLambethLambeth marshLeeLewishamLimekilnsLongbarnLonghedgeLoughberry houseMartin abbey and millsMarch gateMitchamMortlackMorderMottinghamNew crossNewington buttsNine elmsNorwoodPeckham town, and RyePigs marchPlumsteadPutney greenPutney heathRed-houseRickle-marshRoehamptonRotherhitheSidnamSouth LambethStockwellStrethamTooting, Upper and LowerVauxhallWalworthWandsworth, and CommonWimbletonWoolwich
BalamBarn-elmsBarnstownBatterseaBattersea reysBlackheathBristow causewayBrockly, Upper and LowerBurntashCamberwellCharltonClapham, and CommonColeharbourDeptford, Upper and LowerDulwich, and commonEast and West SheenElthamGammon hillGarret’s greenGreenwichGrove streetIreland greenKenningtonKewKew greenKnights hillLambethLambeth marshLeeLewishamLimekilnsLongbarnLonghedgeLoughberry houseMartin abbey and millsMarch gateMitchamMortlackMorderMottinghamNew crossNewington buttsNine elmsNorwoodPeckham town, and RyePigs marchPlumsteadPutney greenPutney heathRed-houseRickle-marshRoehamptonRotherhitheSidnamSouth LambethStockwellStrethamTooting, Upper and LowerVauxhallWalworthWandsworth, and CommonWimbletonWoolwich
Balam
Barn-elms
Barnstown
Battersea
Battersea reys
Blackheath
Bristow causeway
Brockly, Upper and Lower
Burntash
Camberwell
Charlton
Clapham, and Common
Coleharbour
Deptford, Upper and Lower
Dulwich, and common
East and West Sheen
Eltham
Gammon hill
Garret’s green
Greenwich
Grove street
Ireland green
Kennington
Kew
Kew green
Knights hill
Lambeth
Lambeth marsh
Lee
Lewisham
Limekilns
Longbarn
Longhedge
Loughberry house
Martin abbey and mills
March gate
Mitcham
Mortlack
Morder
Mottingham
New cross
Newington butts
Nine elms
Norwood
Peckham town, and Rye
Pigs march
Plumstead
Putney green
Putney heath
Red-house
Rickle-marsh
Roehampton
Rotherhithe
Sidnam
South Lambeth
Stockwell
Stretham
Tooting, Upper and Lower
Vauxhall
Walworth
Wandsworth, and Common
Wimbleton
Woolwich
Hermitage office is kept in Queen street on Little Tower hill, which collects, receives, conveys and delivers letters and parcels to and from the following and adjacent places, besides what it delivers within its own proper district in town.
BlackwallIsle of DogsKing David’s fortLime holeLimehousePoplarRatcliffStepney causeway
BlackwallIsle of DogsKing David’s fortLime holeLimehousePoplarRatcliffStepney causeway
BlackwallIsle of DogsKing David’s fortLime holeLimehousePoplarRatcliffStepney causeway
Blackwall
Isle of Dogs
King David’s fort
Lime hole
Limehouse
Poplar
Ratcliff
Stepney causeway
Several of the country messengers, and others for remote places, going on their walks by six o’clock in the morning, letters and parcels ought to be put in at the receiving houses before six o’clock over-night; otherwise a whole day may be lost in the delivery: but letters for places that arenearer, are generally collected and delivered two or three times a day.
All general post letters, both foreign and domestic, directed to the places above mentioned, not being post towns, are conveyed from the aforesaid offices every day at twelve o’clock; and answers being put into the receiving houses in the country towns, will next night be safely carried to the General Post office, by the officers appointed for that purpose.
Pensionersalley, King street, Westminster.
Pepperalley, 1. by the Bridge Foot, in the Borough. 2. Down’s street, Hyde Park road. 3. Goswell street.
Pepperalley stairs, the next stairs above the bridge, in Southwark.
Pepperstreet, Duke street, in the Mint.
Perkin’srents, Peter street, Soho.†
Perkin’syard, Blackman street.†
Perriwinklestreet, Ratcliff cross.
Perston’syard, in the Minories.†
Pesthousefields, by Pesthouse row, Old street.
Pesthouserow, adjoining to the French hospital in Old street. Here stood, till the year 1737, the city Pesthouse, which consisted of several tenements, and was erected as a Lazaretto for the receptionof distressed and miserable objects, infected by the dreadful plague in the year 1665.Maitland.
Peter and Keyscourt, Peter lane, Cow cross, Smithfield.*
Peterboroughcourt, Fleet street.
St.Peter ad Vincula, situated to the north west corner of Northumberland walk, at the end of the new armoury, in the Tower; was founded by King Edward III. and dedicated by the name ofSt. Peter in Chains, or St. Peter ad Vincula. This is a plain Gothic building void of all ornament, sixty-six feet in length, fifty-four in breadth, and twenty-four feet high from the floor to the roof. The walls, which have Gothic windows, are strengthened at the corners with rustic, and crowned with a plain blocking course. The tower is plain, and is crowned with a turret.
The living is a rectory in the gift of the King, valued at about 60l.a year. The Rector, as Minister of the Tower garrison, is paid by his Majesty; and the living is exempt from archiepiscopal jurisdiction.
Among the several monuments in this church is a grave stone, under which lies buried Mr. James Whittaker, his wifeand children; and upon that stone are the following lines.
See how the just, the virtuous, and the strong,The beautiful, the innocent, the young,Here in promiscuous dust, together lie.Reflect on this, depart, and learn to die.
See how the just, the virtuous, and the strong,The beautiful, the innocent, the young,Here in promiscuous dust, together lie.Reflect on this, depart, and learn to die.
See how the just, the virtuous, and the strong,The beautiful, the innocent, the young,Here in promiscuous dust, together lie.Reflect on this, depart, and learn to die.
See how the just, the virtuous, and the strong,
The beautiful, the innocent, the young,
Here in promiscuous dust, together lie.
Reflect on this, depart, and learn to die.
In this church lie the ashes of many noble, and some royal personages, executed either in the Tower, or on the hill, and deposited here in obscurity; particularly,
George Bullen, Lord Rochford, who was beheaded on Tower hill on the 17th of May, 1536.
Anne Bullen, wife to King Henry VIII. beheaded two days after, on a scaffold erected on the green, within the Tower.
Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex, who from a blacksmith’s son at Putney, became the favourite of Henry VIII. and one of the most zealous promoters of the reformation from popery; but was beheaded on Tower hill in the year 1540.
Catharine Howard, the fifth wife of King Henry VIII. beheaded on Tower hill on the 13th of February, 1541.
Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset, beheaded on Tower hill, on the 24th of June, 1552.
John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, who lost his head at the same place, on the 22d of Aug. 1553.
Under the communion table, lies the body of James Duke of Monmouth, the natural son of King Charles II. beheaded for asserting his right to the crown, in opposition to James II. on the 15th of July, 1683.
St.Peter’salley, by St. Peter’s church, Cornhill.
St.Peter’sCheap, a church, which stood at the corner of Wood street Cheapside, in Faringdon ward within, but being destroyed by the fire of London in 1666, the parish was united to St. Matthew, Friday street.
St.Peter’sCornhill, a plain neat church, near the south east corner of Cornhill, in the ward of that name. There has been many ages a church in the same place, under the patronage of the same apostle: but the last edifice was destroyed by the fire of London, and this substantial structure rose in its place. The body is eighty feet long, and forty-seven broad; it is forty feet high to the roof, and the height of the steeple is an hundred and forty feet. The body is plain, and enlightened by a single series of windows. The tower, which is also plain, has a small windowin each stage, and the dome which supports the spire is of the lantern kind; this spire, which is well proportioned, is crowned by a ball, whence rises the fane, in the form of a key.
The patronage of this rectory is in the Lord Mayor and Commonalty of this city. The Rector receives, besides other profits, 120l.a year by glebe, and 110l.a year in lieu of tithes.
St.Peter le Poor, on the west side of Broad street, in the ward of that name, is supposed by Maitland, to have received its additional epithetle Poor, from the mean condition of the parish in ancient times: tho’ it is now extremely wealthy, it being inhabited by a great number of merchants, and other persons of distinction.
Others imagine that it was called le Poor, from the neighbouring friary of St. Austin, where reigned an affected poverty. A church stood upon the same spot before the year 1181, and the present edifice which escaped the fire in 1666, is supposed to have been built about the year 1540.
This Gothic structure, instead of being an ornament to the street in which it is placed, as all public buildings ought to be, is a very great deformity; the buildingitself is mean, one of its corners being thrust as it were into the street, renders it narrow, obstructs the passage, and destroys the vista. This structure is of very considerable breadth in proportion to its length; it being fifty-four feet long, and fifty-one broad: the height to the roof is twenty-three feet, and that of the tower and turret seventy-five. The body is plain and unornamented; the windows are very large; and the dial is fixed to a beam that is joined on one end to a kind of turret, and extends like a country sign post, across the street; a very rude and aukward contrivance. The tower, which rises square, without diminution, is strengthened at the corners with rustic; upon this is placed a turret, which consists of strong piers at the corners arched over, and covered with an open dome, whence rises a ball and fane.
The advowson of this church appears to have been all along in the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s. The tithes at present amount to 130l.a year; and the other profits by annual donations settled upon the Rector, amount to about as much more.
Peter’scourt, 1. Ironmonger row. 2. St.Martin’s lane, Charing cross. 3. Peter lane. 4. Rosemary lane.
Peter’shill, 1. Knightrider street. 2. Saffron hill.
St.Peter’shill, Thames street, so called from the following church.
Peter’s Keyalley, Cow cross, Smithfield.
Peter’slane, St. John street, Smithfield.
St.Peter’sPaul’s wharf, stood at the south east corner of St. Peter’s hill, in Thames street, in Queenhithe ward, and was anciently denominated St.Peter’s Parva, orthe Little, from its small dimensions. This church being destroyed with most of the others, by the fire of London, and not rebuilt, its parish is annexed to the church of St. Bennet Paul’s wharf.
Peter’sstreet, 1. Bandy leg walk, Deadman’s place. 2. Bloomsbury. 3. Halfmoon alley, Bishopsgate street. 4. In the Mint. 5. Stratton’s ground, Westminster. 6. Turnmill street, Cow cross. 7. Vere street, Claremarket. 8. Soho. 9. Westminster.
St.Peter’sWestminster. See the articleAbbeyChurch of Westminster.
St.Peter’syard, 1. Deadman’s place, Southwark. 2. In the Minories.
Petersham, a small village in Surry, near theNew Park, and a little to the south of Richmond hill. Here stood a delightful seat built by the late Earl of Rochester, Lord High Treasurer in the reign of King James II. This fine house was burnt down in the year 1720, so suddenly that the family, who were all at home, had scarcely time to save their lives. Nor was the house, tho’ exquisitely finished both within and without, the greatest loss sustained; the noble furniture, the curious collection of paintings, and the inestimable library of the first Earl of Clarendon, Lord High Chancellor of England, and author of the History of the Rebellion, were wholly consumed; and among other valuable pieces, several manuscripts relating to those times, and to the transactions in which the King his Master, and himself were engaged both at home and abroad; besides other curious collections made by that noble Author in foreign countries.
On the ground where his house stood, the Earl of Harrington erected another, after one of the Earl of Burlington’s designs. The front next the court is very plain, and the entrance to the house not very extraordinary: but the south front next the garden, is bold and regular, and the apartments on that side, chieflydesigned for state, are extremely elegant.
The gardens were before crowded with plantations near the house; but they are now laid open in lawns of grass: the kitchen garden, before situated on the east side of the house, is removed out of sight, and the ground converted to an open slope of grass, leading up to a terrace of great length; from which is a prospect of the river Thames, the town of Twickenham, and of all the fine seats round that part of the country. On the other side of the terrace, is a plantation on a rising ground; and on the summit of the hill is a fine pleasure house, which on every side commands a prospect of the country for many miles.
Petticoatlane, extends from Whitechapel into Spitalfields. On both sides of this lane were anciently hedges, and rows of elm trees, and the pleasantness of the neighbouring fields induced several gentlemen to build their houses here, among whom was the Spanish ambassador, whom Strype supposes to be Gondomar: but at length many French refugees settling in that part of the lane near Spitalfields in order to follow their trades, which in general was weaving of silk, it soon became a row of contiguous buildings.This lane is very long and very disagreeable, both on account of its nastiness and offensive smells, it being the chief residence of the horners, who prepare horns for other petty manufacturers.
Petticoatsquare, Petticoat lane.
Petty Bag Office, next the Rolls chapel, Chancery lane. The clerks in this office, who are three in number, are under the Master of the Rolls, and make all patents for customers, comptrollers, andcongé d’elires: they also summon the Nobility, Clergy, Knights, Citizens, and Burgesses to parliament, &c. This office takes its name from each record being there put into a little bag.
Petty Canonsof St. Paul’s. See the article Canons.
Petty Canonsalley, St. Paul’s Church yard.
Petty France, Tothill street, Westminster; thus named from its being at first inhabited by the people of that nation.
Petty Francealley, Old Bethlem; so called from Petty France there, now called New Broad street, which was originally inhabited chiefly by the French.
Petty Walesyard, Halfmoon alley.
Petty’scourt, Hanoway street, Tottenham court road.†
Pewterers, a company incorporated by letters patent, granted by King Edward IV. in 1474.
In the year 1534, the Wardens of the Pewterers company, or their deputies, were impowered by act of parliament to have the inspection of pewter in all parts of the kingdom, in order to prevent the sale of the base pewter, and the importation of pewter vessels from abroad. As a farther encouragement, all Englishmen are by that act strictly enjoined, not to repair to any foreign country to teach the art or mystery of pewterers, on pain of disfranchisement: and for the more effectually preventing the art being carried abroad, no Pewterer is to take the son of an alien as an apprentice.
This corporation has a Master, two Wardens, twenty-eight Assistants, and seventy-eight Liverymen, who on their admission pay 20l.
Their hall is in Lime street, almost facing the west end of Cullum street.
Pewter Platteralley, Grace church street.*
Pheasantcourt, Cow lane, Snow hill.*
Pheasant Cockcourt, Angel alley, Houndsditch.*
Phenixalley, Long Acre.*
Phenixcourt, 1. Butcher row.* 2. HighHolborn.* 3. Newgate street.* 4. Old Change, Cheapside.*
Phenixstreet, 1. Dyot street, St. Giles’s.* 2. Hog lane, St. Giles’s.* 3. Monmouth street, Spitalfields.*
Phenixyard, Oxford street.*
Philiplane, London wall.*
Philip’scourt, Grub street.†
Philip’srents, 1. Lincoln’s Inn Fields.† 2. Maze pond street, Southwark.†
Philip’syard, Still alley, Houndsditch.†
Philpotlane, Fenchurch street.†
Phips’salley, Shoreditch.†
Physicians.There was no legal restraint on the practice of physic, till the third year of King Henry VIII. when it was enacted that none should practise physic or surgery within the city of London, of seven miles round, unless he were first examined, and approved by the Bishop of London, or the Dean of St. Paul’s, (who should call to his assistance four Doctors of physic, and for surgery, other expert persons in that faculty) upon pain of forfeiting 5l.for every month such persons should practise physic or surgery, without being thus admitted.
Seven years after this law, the Physicians were incorporated into a college or society; allowed a common seal, and the power of annually chusing a President, togovern all of that faculty: they were permitted to purchase lands and tenements, and to make statutes and ordinances for the government and correction of the college, and of all persons practising physic within seven miles of the city: it was also enacted that none, either within the city, or that compass, should practise, unless first allowed by the President and the Fellows, upon pain of forfeiting 5l.for every month: that four persons be chosen annually for the examination and government of all the Physicians of the city, and suburbs within seven miles round, and to punish them for their offences in not performing, making, and neglecting their medicines and receipts, by fines and imprisonments: and that neither the President, nor any of the members of the college, should be summoned upon juries, &c.
At their first institution there were but thirty Fellows belonging to the college; but at their request, King Charles II. augmented their number to forty; and King James II. considering the great increase of this city in its buildings and inhabitants, was pleased to increase the number to eighty, which they were not to exceed. Before this last charter, none could be admitted a Fellow of the college, if he had not taken his degree of Doctor in one ofthe universities; but now all who have taken their degree in any foreign university, are qualified to become Fellows.
The college has still great power in obstructing the practise of those who are not of their body; yet by connivance or favour, others practise physic; tho’ by law, if any one not so qualified, undertakes a cure, and his patient dies under his hand, he is deemed guilty of felony.
To this college belong a President, four Censors, and twelve Electors. The President is the principal member, and is annually chosen out of the society.
The four Censors have, by charter, authority to survey, correct and govern all Physicians, or others, that shall practise within their jurisdiction, and to fine and imprison for offences as they shall see cause. They may convene any Physician or practitioner before them, and examine him concerning his skill in physic, and if he does not appear to their summons, or upon his appearance refuses to answer, he may be fined for every default, any sum not exceeding forty shillings; or if any administer unwholsome and noxious medicines, he may be fined according to discretion, net exceeding 10l.or imprisoned, not exceeding fourteendays, unless for nonpayment of the fine, when it shall be lawful to detain him in prison until it be paid.
College ofPhysicians. This society had their first college in Knightrider street, which was the gift of Dr. Linacre, Physician to King Henry VIII. from whence they afterwards removed to Amen Corner, where they had purchased an house. Here the great Dr. Harvey, who immortalized his name by discovering the circulation of the blood, built them a library and public hall in the year 1652, which he granted for ever to the college, with his library, and endowed it with his estate, which he resigned to them while living, assigning a part of it for an anniversary oration, in commemoration of their benefactors, and to promote a spirit of emulation in succeeding generations. However, this edifice being consumed by the fire of London, and the ground being only upon lease, the Fellows erected the present structure.