N.
Nag’s Headalley, 1. Bridge yard passage.* 2. Fenchurch street.* 3. St. Margaret’s hill, Southwark.* 4. In the Minories.*
Nag’s Headbuildings, Hackney road.*
Nag’s Headcourt, 1. Golden lane, Redcross street.* 2. Gracechurch street.* 3. Great Tower hill.* 4. Leather lane, Holborn. 5. Snow hill.* 6. Three Colt street.* 7. Wentworth street.*
Nag’s Headyard, 1. Golden lane.* 2. Great Swallow street.* 3. Norton Falgate.*
Nailer’syard, 1. Queen street, in the Mint, Southwark. 2. Silver street, Golden square.
Naked Boyalley, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. Piccadilly.*
Naked Boycourt, 1. Little Elbow lane, Great Elbow lane, Thames street.* 2. Ludgate hill.* 3. In the Strand.
Naked Boyyard, 1. Back street, Lambeth.* 2. Deadman’s Place.*
Nan’sholeoryard, Angel street, St. Martin’s le Grand.‖
Narrowalley, Stony lane.
Narrowstreet, 1. Limehouse. 2. Ratcliff.
Narrowwall, Lambeth.
Nasing, a village in Essex, between Epping and Harlow.
Nassaustreet, Gerrard street, by Prince’s street, Soho; probably thus named in honour of King William III.
Navestock, a village near Brentwood in Essex.
Navy Office, in Crutched Friars. Hereall affairs relating to the royal navy are managed by the Commissioners under the Lords of the Admiralty. It is a very plain building, that by its appearance gives us no idea of its importance; but it must be allowed the merit of being extremely convenient. The office where the Commissioners meet, and the clerks keep their books, is detached from the rest, as a precaution against accidents by fire, the papers here being of the utmost importance; and in the other buildings some of the Commissioners and other officers reside.
The Treasurer of the navy is an officer of prodigious trust, as he receives and pays all sums for the use of the navy: his salary is therefore 2000l.per annum, and 800l.for his instruments.
The seven Commissioners have all their different departments in the management of the business of this office; and each has a salary of 500l.a year.
One is Comptroller of the navy: he attends and comptrols all payments of wages; is obliged to know the market price of all stores belonging to shipping, and to examine and audit all the treasurers, victuallers, and storekeepers accounts. This Commissioner has two clerks who have 100l.a year each: one of 60l.a year, and nine of 50l.each. Besidesin his office for seamen’s wages he has a chief clerk who has 200l.a year, and also nine others of 50l.each.
Two others are Joint-surveyors of the navy, and besides the salary of 500l.a year each, one of them has 80l.per annumfor house rent. They are in general to know the state of all stores, and to see the wants supplied; to survey the hulls, masts, and yards, and to estimate the value of repairs by indenture; to charge all boatswains and carpenters of the navy with what stores they have received; and at the end of each voyage to state and audit their accounts. They have a chief clerk, who has 100l.a year, and six others of 50l.
The fourth is Clerk of the acts. It is his office to record all orders, contracts, bills, warrants, and other business transacted by the principal officers and commissioners of the navy. He has an assistant, who has a salary of 300l.a year, and 50l.for house rent; a chief clerk, who has 100l.a year; another has 70l.another 60l.and nine others have 50l.per annumeach.
The fifth is Comptroller of the Treasurer’s accounts, and has a clerk of 100l.a year; another of 60l.another of 50l.and another of 40l.a year. The ticketoffice is under his inspection, and there he has two chief clerks of 200l.a year each; another of 80l.six of 50l.a year each, and one of 40l.In this office there are also six extra clerks who have 50l.a year each, and one who has 2s.6d.a day.
The sixth is the Comptroller of the victualling accounts, who has a clerk of 100l.a year; one of 50l.and one of 40l.per annum.
The seventh is Comptroller of the store-keeper’s accounts, who has also a chief clerk, that has a salary of 100l.a year; six clerks of 50l.a year each; and another of 40l.per annum.
Besides these there are three Extra Commissioners of the navy, who have 500l.a year, and 80l.each for house rent; and under these are several clerks, and other officers.
There is also a Commissioner residing at Gibraltar, who has 1000l.a year, and several officers who have considerable salaries under him: a Commissioner resident at Chatham yard, at Portsmouth yard, and at Plymouth yard, who have 500l.a year each; but Deptford and Woolwich yards are under the immediate inspection of the navy board; as Sheernessyard is under the inspection of the Commissioner at Chatham.
The number of these Officers and Commissioners have been increased on account of the exigence of affairs; but the principal of them hold their offices by patent under the great seal.
Neal’syard, Great St. Andrew street, Seven Dials.†
Neat Houselane, Upper Millbank.
Neat Houses, Near Chelsea Bridge.
Neckingerlane, Rotherhith wall.
Neckingerroad, Neckinger lane.
Needlemakers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by Oliver Cromwell, in 1656, consisting of a Master, two Wardens, eighteen Assistants, and forty-eight Liverymen, who upon their admission pay a fine of 3l.6s.8d.but having no hall they transact their business in Guildhall.
It is remarkable that by an act of Common Council in 1658, it was ordered that every needlemaker free of the city, of whatever company they be, should from thenceforward be subject to the search and survey of this company; that no needlemaker of any other company should bind an apprentice to himself, till he had first bound him to the Master orone of the Wardens or Assistants of the Needlemakers company, who should turn over such an apprentice to him, before the Chamberlain of London, in order that all such apprentices might be made free of the Needlemakers company; and that any such master, not being free of that company, who should take an apprentice in any other manner, should forfeit the sum of 20l.
Nell’swharf, St. Catharine’s.
Nelmes, a village in Essex, on the east side of Rumford.
Nelson’scourt, 1. Drury lane.† 2. Rosemary lane, Tower hill.†
Neptunestreet, Wellclose square.
Netherhall, a village in Essex, on the north side of Chipping Ongar.
Netherhall, a village in Essex, near Great and Little Parndon, and at the conflux of the Lee and the Stort.
Nettleton’scourt, Aldersgate street.†
Nettlewell, a village on the south west side of Harlow.
Nevill’salley, Fetter lane.†
Nevill’syard, Church street, Lambeth.†
Neviscourt, Near the Upper Ground, Southwark.†
Newalley, In Hoxton.
New Bedfordcourt, Eagle court, Strand.
New Beltonstreet, Long Acre.
New Black Ravencourt, Near Chiswell street, Moorfields.*
New Bondstreet, a street which consists of handsome new buildings, near Oxford street.
New Bosvilecourt, Carey street, Lincoln’s Inn Fields.†
New Broadstreet, 1. A handsome street inhabited by merchants and other gentlemen; extending from the end of Broad street to Moorfields. 2. Marshal street, Carnaby street.
New Buildings, 1. Coleman street. 2. Dunning’s alley, Bishopsgate street without. 3. Feathers alley, in the Maze, Southwark.
New Burlingtonstreet, Swallow street.
Newbury’sAlmshouse, on the north side of Mile-end green, also called the Skinners Almshouses, was erected by that company in the year 1688, pursuant to the will of Lewis Newbury, for twelve poor widows of the Skinners company, who have an allowance of 5l.10s.a year, and half a chaldron of coals each.
Newcastlecourt, 1. Butcher Row, by Temple Bar. 2. Newcastle street, by Chick lane.
Newcastlestreet, 1. Chick lane, Smithfield. 2. From Seacoal lane to Fleet market. 3. Whitechapel.
New Cocklane, 1. Brick lane, Spitalfields.* 2. Swan fields, Shoreditch.*
Newcourt, 1. Angel alley. 2. Blackman street, Southwark. 3. Bow lane, Cheapside. 4. Bowling alley, Dean’s yard, Westminster. 5. Brown’s street. 6. Canon row, Westminster. 7. Carey street, Lincoln’s Inn Fields. 8. St. Catharine’s court, near the Tower. 9. Fore street, Cripplegate. 10. George yard, Whitechapel. 11. Goswell street, Aldersgate street. 12. New Gravel lane, Shadwell. 13. Old Gravel lane, Ratcliff Highway. 14. Great St. Anne’s lane, by Orchard street, Westminster. 15. Hand alley. 16. Harrow alley, Petticoat lane. 17. Hart street, Crutched Friars. 18. High Holborn. 19. Hog lane. 20. Kent street. 21. Knightsbridge. 22. Lamb alley. 23. Little Broad street. 24. Little Newport street. 25. St. Margaret’s hill. 26. Middle Temple. 27. Moor lane. 28. Narrow street, Ratcliff. 29. Newington Butts. 30. New street. 31. Nightingale lane. 32. Peter street, Westminster. 33. Petticoat lane, Whitechapel. 34. Pig street, Threadneedle street. 35. Quaker street, Spitalfields. 36. Rosemary lane, Tower hill. 37. St. Swithin’s lane, Canon street. 38. Throgmorton street. 39. Wentworthstreet. 40. White Horse yard. 41. White street. 42. York street.
New Crane, Wapping Wall.
New Cranestairs, Wapping.
New Fishstreet, By Great Eastcheap.
New Fish Streethill, New Fish street.
Newgate, is situated 1037 feet south west from Aldersgate, and is thought by most Antiquarians, to be so denominated from its being first erected in the reign of Henry I. several ages after the four original gates of the city: Howel is however of a contrary opinion, and asserts that it was only repaired in the above reign, and that it was anciently denominated Chamberlain gate; tho’ it is very extraordinary, that this gate is not once mentioned before the conquest. But be this as it will, it appears from ancient records, that it was called Newgate, and was a common jail for felons taken in the city of London, or the county of Middlesex, so early as the year 1218; and that so lately as the year 1457, Newgate, and not the Tower, was a prison for the nobility and great officers of state.
At length Newgate being much damaged by the fire of London in 1666, the present beautiful structure was erected. The west side is adorned with threeranges of Tuscan pilasters, with their entablatures, and in the inter-columniations are four niches, in one of which is a figure representing Liberty; the wordLibertasis inscribed on her cap, and at her feet lies a cat, in allusion to Sir Richard Whittington, a benefactor to the prison, who is said to have made the first step to his good fortune by a cat.
The inside of the gate is also adorned with a range of pilasters, with their entablatures, and in three niches are the figures of Justice, Mercy and Truth.
The author ofThe Reviewobserves,
“That Newgate considered as a prison, is a structure of more cost and beauty than was necessary, because the sumptuousness of the outside but aggravates the misery of the wretches within: but as a gate to such a city as London, it might have received considerable additions both of design and execution, and abundantly answered the cost in the reputation of building. The gate of a city erected rather for ornament than use, ought to be in the style of the ancient triumphal arches; and it must be allowed, that hardly any kind of building, admits of more beauty or perfection.”
If Newgate be considered as a prison,it is indeed a very dismal one. It is the county jail for Middlesex, both for debtors and malefactors, as well as the city prison for criminals. The debtor rendered unfortunate by the vicissitudes of trade, or unforeseen losses, has the reproach of being confined in the same prison with the greatest villains; and too often his being in Newgate is imputed by the ignorant to crimes which he abhors. On the other hand, those confined as criminals, are, even before they are found guilty by the laws of their country, packed so close together, that the air being corrupted by their stench and nastiness, occasions a dismal contagious disease, called the Jail distemper, which has frequently carried off great numbers, and even spread its contagion to the Court of Justice, where they take their trials. But to prevent these dreadful effects the city has introduced a ventilator on the top of Newgate, to expel the foul air, and make way for the admission of such as is fresh; and during the sessions herbs are also strewed in the Justice Hall, and the passages to it, to prevent infection.
In this prison there are however commodious and airy apartments for the use of such as are able to pay for them; and the advantage of a private passage behindthe houses to Justice Hall in the Old Bailey, where they are in no danger of being rescued, while going to, or coming back from their trials. It is to be wished that this prison was made still more commodious; that the little cells of the malefactors were enlarged and rendered more airy, and that the proposal so often talked of, of building another prison for the debtors, was carried into execution.
Newgate Market, before the dreadful fire of London, was kept in Newgate street, where there was a market house for meal, and a middle row of sheds, which Maitland says, were afterwards converted into houses, inhabited by butchers, tripesellers, &c. while the country people, who brought provisions to the city, were forced to stand with their stalls in the open street, where their persons and goods were exposed to danger by the passage of coaches, carts, and cattle that passed through the streets. This must be allowed to have been a very inconvenient market, and the houses or sheds in the middle of the street, must almost have choaked up the passage, or at least have rendered it liable to frequent obstructions. At that time Butcher hall lane was filled with slaughter houses forthe use of this market, and Blowbladder street was rendered remarkable by blown bladders hanging in the windows of the shops, where bladders were sold.
After the fire of London, which afforded an opportunity of rendering the new streets more commodious than the old ones had been, it was ordered by act of parliament that Newgate market should be removed from the street, and a square was formed on the south side for that purpose, surrounded by decent houses. This square is 194 feet long from east to west, and 148 feet broad from north to south. In the middle is a market house, under which are vaults or cellars, and the upper part of the building is employed as a kind of warehouse for the fruiterers, and the keepers of green stalls by night. In the shops under this building tripe and other things are sold, and in the middle near the market house are sold fruit and greens. At a convenient distance are shops for butchers, the sellers of butter, &c. and the houses beyond these, which extend along the sides of the market, are also taken up by butchers. It may be proper to observe with respect to the butter shops, that some of these contract for the produce of several dairies, and that it is not uncommon for one of these shops to take 30 or 40l.forbutter alone, in a morning, even before eight or nine o’clock. The passages to the market from Paternoster row and Newgate street, are taken up with poulterers, bacon shops, fishmongers, and cheesemongers.
Newgatestreet, is a street of considerable trade, and extends from Blowbladder street, to Newgate.
New Georgestreet, 1. Near Bethnal green. 2. St. John’s street, Spitalfields.
New Gravellane, Shadwell. Thus named from the carts loaded with gravel passing through it to the Thames, where the gravel was employed in ballasting of ships, before ballasting was taken out of the river. It obtained the epithet of New, to distinguish it from the Old Gravel lane, which was used for the same purpose long before.
Newellstreet, Berwick street, Old Soho.†
New Jail, in Southwark, a prison lately erected near Bridewell alley, in the Borough, for felons in the county of Surry.
Newington Butts, a village in Surry, extending from the end of Blackman street, to Kennington common, is said to receive the name of Butts, from the exercise of shooting at Butts, much practised, both here and in the other towns ofEngland, in the reign of King Henry VIII. &c. to fit men to serve in the regiment of archers. But Mr. Aubrey thinks it received this name from the Butts of Norfolk, who had an estate here. The Drapers and Fishmongers company have almshouses here: and Mr. Whatley observes, that here were planted the first peaches so much esteemed, distinguished by the name of Newington peaches. The church here, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is a rectory in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and the profits arising to the Incumbent amount to about 140l.per annum.Maitland.SeeStoke Newington.
Newingtoncauseway row, Blackman street.
Newington Green, a pleasant village between Islington and Stoke Newington, chiefly consisting of a handsome square of a considerable extent surrounded by houses which are in general well built; before each side is a row of trees, and an extensive grass plat in the middle. It is in the parish of Stoke Newington; on one side of the ground is a meeting house. SeeStoke Newington.
New Inn, contiguous to St. Clement’s Inn, in Wych street, is one of the Inns of Chancery, and was founded about the year 1485, for the reception of the studentsof an Inn of Chancery, at the south east corner of Seacoal lane.
New Inn is an appendage to the Middle Temple, and is governed by a Treasurer and twelve Ancients, who, with the other members, are to be in commons a week every term, or to compound for the same.Maitland.
New Inncourt, Wych street.
New Innpassage, Houghton street, Clare market.
New Innyard, Holiwell street, Shoreditch.
Newlane, Shad Thames.
Newman’scourt, 1. In Cornhill.† 2. Farmer’s street, Shadwell.†
Newmarketstreet, Wapping.
New Martenstreet, Near East Smithfield.†
New Nicolstreet, Swanfields, Shoreditch.†
New Northstreet, Theobald’s row, Red Lion street, Holborn.
New Packthreadalley, Grange road, Bermondsey.
New Packthreadyard, Westminster.
New Palaceyard, by Union street, Westminster. When King Richard II. rebuilt Westminster Hall in the year 1397, that part was called the New Palace, and being inclosed with a wall, it had four gates, of which that leading to Westminster stairs is the only one now standing. The three others that have beendemolished were, one on the north, which led to the Woolstaple; another to the west, a beautiful and stately edifice called High Gate, at the east end of Union street; and another at the north end of St. Margaret’s lane.Maitland.
New Park, in Surry. SeeRichmond.
New Paradisestreet, Rotherhith.
New Passage, 1. Bull and Mouth street, St. Martin’s le Grand. 2. Newgate market.
New Peterstreet, Peter street.
Newportalley, Newport street, near Newport market.
Newportcourt, Little Newport street, near Long Acre.
Newport Market, Litchfield street, a square with shops round it, with a market house in the middle, in which are shops for butchers, &c.
Newportstreet, Castle street, near Newport market.
New Prison, near the east end of Clerkenwell green, is a house of correction for the county of Middlesex, in which rogues and vagabonds are kept to hard labour. It was erected in the year 1615.
New Prisonwalk, a passage leading to the New Prison, Clerkenwell.
New Pumpcourt, Moor lane, Cripplegate.
New Pyestreet, by Orchard street, Westminster.
New Queenstreet, Oxford street.
New Rag Fair, Rosemary lane, Little Tower hill.
New Rents, 1. Compter lane, St. Margaret’s hill. 2. St. Martin’s le Grand.
New River.Various were the projects in the reigns of Queen Elizabeth, and King James I. for supplying the city of London with a sufficient quantity of water, for domestic uses: the former granted an act of parliament, which gave the citizens liberty to cut and convey a river from any part of Middlesex or Hertfordshire to the city of London, within the limited time of ten years; and the latter granted another act, in which they obtained the same power, but without being confined to any limited time: nobody however began this great and important work, till at last Sir Hugh Middleton undertook to bring a river from Amwell in Hertfordshire to the north side of London near Islington.
The work began on the 20th of September 1608, and was attended with innumerable difficulties. The distance from London is twenty miles, and he was obliged, in order to avoid the eminences and vallies in the way, to make it run a course of thirty-eight miles three quarters and sixteen poles, and to carry it overtwo vallies in long wooden frames or troughs lined with lead; that at Buthill, being six hundred and sixty feet in length, and thirty in height; under which, for the passage of the land waters is an arch capacious enough to admit under it the largest waggon laden with hay, or straw: the other near Highbury is four hundred and sixty-two feet long, and seventeen in height, where it is raised along the top of high artificial banks, and at the bottom of the hollow supported by poles, so that any person may walk under it. In short over and under this river, which sometimes rises thus high, and at others is conveyed under ground, runs several considerable currents of land waters, and both above and below it a great number of brooks, rills, and water courses have their passage.
This river, which is of inestimable benefit to London, was by this truly great man brought to the city within the space of five years, and was admitted into the reservoir near Islington on Michaelmas day 1613; on which day Sir Thomas Middleton, brother to the great Sir Hugh, was elected Lord Mayor for the ensuing year, who accompanying Sir John Swinerton, then Lord Mayor, attended by many of the Aldermen, the Recorder, andother gentlemen, repaired to the bason, now called New River Head, when about sixty labourers, handsomely dressed, and wearing green caps, carrying spades, shovels, and pickaxes, marched, preceded by drums and trumpets, thrice round the bason, when stopping before the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, and other gentlemen, who were seated upon an eminence, one of the labourers addressed himself to them in a long copy of verses, which being ended, the sluices were opened, and the stream ran plentifully into the reservoir, under the sound of drums and trumpets, the discharge of several pieces of ordnance, and the loud acclamations of the people.
Sir Hugh Middleton, to enable himself to complete this grand work, had at last, after spending his own fortune, been obliged to apply to King James I. who advancing a sum of money became entitled to a moiety of the profits; he was also obliged to sell many other shares, and in short, was in a manner entirely ruined by a project, that has been attended with unspeakable benefit to this city: since by the water of this river, a speedy stop has been put to a great number of dreadful fires, and the health of the city has been remarkably preserved by the cleanliness ithas introduced among us. Yet so little was the great advantages that might then, and are now derived from this river, at that time understood, that for above thirty years there were not divided above 5l.odd money, to each of the shares, which are seventy-two in number.
This river now draws most of its water from the Lee, which being the property of the city of London, that corporation, contrary to the interest of the city in general, opposed a bill brought into parliament for giving farther powers to the New River company, to take the advantage that might be obtained by the river Lee: but the opposition was without effect, and in 1738–9 the bill passed into a law.
The Governors of the New River company then agreed with the proprietors of the lands on the river Lee for a cut of two cubic feet of water from that river, at a certain rate; and after the agreement, told them they would double the price for a four foot cut, which the proprietors agreed to, not considering the great disproportion between the two cuts; and this cut of the river Lee now supplies the largest share of the New River water.
In this river there are forty threesluices, and over it two hundred and fifteen bridges. On its approaching the reservoir, called New River Head, there are several small houses erected at a considerable distance from each other on its banks, into which the water runs and is conveyed by pipes to the nearer and more easterly parts of this metropolis. On its entering the above reservoir, it is there ingulphed by fifty-eight main pipes, each of seven inches bore; and here also an engine worked by horses, throws a great quantity of water up to another reservoir, situated on much higher ground, from which the water runs in pipes to supply the highest ground in the city, and its liberties. Many years ago 30,000 houses were thus supplied by this water, and since that time several main pipes have been laid to carry it into the liberties of Westminster.
This corporation consists of a Governor, Deputy Governor, Treasurer, and twenty-six Directors, these twenty-nine are the proprietors of the first thirty-six shares: for though the Crown’s moiety is in private hands, yet they have no share in the management. The above Governor and Directors keep their office at a coffee-house in Ludgate street where every Thursday they hold a board for appointingof officers, granting of leases, and redressing of grievances.
The officers and servants belonging to the company are, a clerk and his assistant; a surveyor and his deputy; fourteen collectors, who, after deducting 5l.per cent.for collecting the company’s rents, pay their money every Thursday to the treasurer; fourteen walksmen, who have their several walks along the river, to prevent throwing into it filth, or infectious matter; sixteen turncocks; twelve paviours; twenty borers of pipes; besides horse engines for boring of others, together with a great number of inferior servants and labourers.
New Roundcourt, In the Strand.
Newsquare, 1. Lincoln’s Inn. 2. In the Minories. 3. New street, St. Thomas’s, Southwark.
Newstreet, 1. Bishopsgate street. 2. Cambridge street. 3. Cloth Fair, Smithfield. 4. Dyot street, St. Giles’s. 5. Horselydown. 6. Fore street, Lambeth. 7. Fox’s lane, Shadwell. 8. Lower Shadwell. 9. St. Martin’s lane, Charing Cross. 10. Old street. 11. Queen street, in the Mint. 12. Shoe lane, Fleet street. 13. Shoemaker row, Black Friars. 14. Spring Gardens, Charing Cross. 15. St. Thomas’sSouthwark. 16. Threadneedle street. 17. Upper Shadwell.
New Streethill, Shoe lane, Fleet street.
New Streetsquare, near Shoe lane.
New Street Squarelane, Shoe lane.
New Swanyard, Rag street.
New Thamesstreet, Bank side, Southwark.
New Thames Streetstairs, Bank side.
Newton’scourt, Vine street.†
Newtonstreet, High Holborn.†
New Tothillstreet, Near Westminster Abbey.
New Turnstilealley, Holborn.
New Turvillestreet, Virginia row, Shoreditch.†
New Tylerstreet, Carnaby street.†
Newway, 1. In the Maze, Tooley street. 2. Orchard street.
Newwell, Shad Thames, Horselydown.
Newyard, Fenchurch street.
New Yorkstreet, Skinners street, Shoreditch.
St.Nicholas Acons, a church which stood on the west side of Nicholas lane, in Langbourn ward, owed its name to its dedication to St. Nicholas, a citizen of Lycia in Asia Minor, who, though only a private housekeeper, was, from the caprice of the electors, chosen Bishop of Myræa; for the Bishops and Priests interested in the election not agreeing aboutthe choice, came to an unanimous resolution that whatever person should first enter the church the next day, should be elected Bishop: when Nicholas repairing early next morning, to perform his devotions, being the first that entered, was chosen Bishop, pursuant to the above resolution; in which office his deportment was such, as to procure him a place among the class of saints.
The church being destroyed with most of the other public buildings by the fire of London, and not rebuilt, the parish was annexed to the church of St. Edmund the King.Newc. Repert. Eccles.
St.Nicholasalley, St. Nicholas lane, Lombard street.
St.Nicholas Cole Abbey, on the south side of Old Fish street, in Queenhithe ward, is thus denominated from its dedication to the above-mentioned saint, but the reason of the additional epithet is not known, some conjecturing that it is a corruption of Golden Abbey, and others that it is derived from Cold Abbey, or Coldbey, from its cold or bleak situation. It is known that there was a church in the same place before the year 1383: but the last structure being consumed in the great conflagration in 1666, the present churchwas built in its place, and the parish of St. Nicholas Olave united to it.
This edifice consists of a plain body well enlightened by a single range of windows decently ornamented. It is sixty-three feet long, and forty-three broad; thirty-six feet high to the roof, and an hundred thirty-five to the top of the spire. The tower is plain, but strengthened with rustic at the corners; and the spire, which is of the massy kind, has a gallery, and many openings.
The advowson of this church, which was anciently in the Dean and Chapter of St. Martin’s le Grand, is now in the Crown. The Rector, besides his other profits, receives 130l.a year in lieu of tithes.Maitland.
St.Nicholaslane, extends from Lombard street to Canon street.
St.Nicholas Shambles, a church formerly situated at the corner of Butcher hall lane, took its additional epithet from the flesh market, which before the fire of London extended along Newgate street. This church with its ornaments was given by King Henry VIII. to the Mayor and Commonalty of the city, towards the maintenance of the new parish church then to be erected in the Grey Friars.Maitland.
Nicholas’s Almshouse, in Monkwell street, was founded in the year 1575, by Sir Ambrose Nicholas, citizen and salter, for the accommodation of twelve widows of his company, to each of whom he allowed 1s.perweek, and twenty-four bushels of coals a year. This charity he committed in trust to the company of Salters; the house was however destroyed in the great conflagration in 1666; but was soon after rebuilt, and each widow allowed two neat rooms and a garret.Maitland.
Nicoll’salley, Cable street, Rag Fair, Rosemary lane.†
Nicoll’scourt, 1. Rosemary lane, Little Tower hill.† 2. Sharp’s alley.†
Nicoll’sstreet, Shoreditch.†
Nightingalelane, 1. East Smithfield.† 2. Fore street, Limehouse.†
Nightingaleturning, at the Hermitage, Wapping.†
Nippard’scourt, Baldwin’s Gardens.†
Nixon’scourt, Barnaby street, Southwark.†
Nixon’ssquare, a very mean little square, by Jewin street.†
Noah’s Arkalley, Narrow street, Ratcliff.* Noble street, 1. Foster lane, Cheapside.† 2. Goswell street, by Aldersgate bars.†
Noelstreet, Burlington Gardens.†
Nonesuch, in Surry, is situated near Sutton and Epsom, and was formerly called Cuddington,till a most magnificent palace was erected there, by Henry VIII. which obtained the name of Nonesuch from its unparallelled beauty. The learned Hentzner, in hisItinerarium, speaking of this palace, says, that it was chosen for his pleasure and retirement, and built by him with an excess of magnificence and elegance even to ostentation: one would imagine every thing that architecture can perform to have been employed in this one work: there are every where so many statues that seem to breathe, so many miracles of consummate art, so many casts that rival even the perfection of Roman antiquity, that it may well claim and justify its name of Nonesuch.
The palace itself is so encompassed with parks full of deer, delightful gardens, groves ornamented with trellis work, cabinets of verdure, and walks so embrowned by trees, that it seems to be a place pitched upon by Pleasure herself, to dwell in along with Health.
In the pleasure and artificial gardens are many columns and pyramids of marble, two fountains that spout water one round the other, like a pyramid, upon which are perched small birds that stream water out of their bills: in the grove of Diana is a very agreeable fountain, with Actæon turned into a stag, as he was sprinkledby the goddess and her nymphs, with inscriptions.
There is besides another pyramid of marble full of concealed pipes, which spirt upon all who come within their reach.
Such was this palace and gardens when Hentzner wrote, but King Charles II. gave it to the Duchess of Cleveland, who pulled it down and sold the materials; wherewith a new house was built by the Earl of Berkley, which was the seat of the late Earl of Guildford, and is now called Durdans; and Nonesuch, though it gives the title of Baron to the Duke of Cleveland, is now only a farm house.
Norfolkstreet, in the Strand. The bishop of Bath’s palace in the Strand, was afterwards, says Maitland, the Earl of Arundel’s, whence Arundel and Norfolk streets had their names.
Norman’scourt, Cable street.†
Norris’sstreet, 1. In the Haymarket.† 2. Spitalfields.†
Norris’swharf, Millbank, Westminster Horse ferry.
Norrison’scourt, near Stangate.†
North Audleystreet, Grosvenor square.
North End, a pleasant village near Hammersmith, where are the handsome house and finely disposed gardens of the Earl of Tilney, and of the late Sir John Stanley.
Northcourt, South street.
Northall, a village on the north side of Enfield Chace, three miles north of High Barnet, is said to be corruptly so called from Northaw, or the North Grove, here being a wood that belonged to the monastery of St. Alban’s. A noble house was built here in the reign of Queen Elizabeth by Henry Dudley Earl of Warwick; after whose death it came to several possessors, and being sold to William Leman, descended to Sir William Leman his grandson, who has given the rent of the wells to the poor of the parish. King James I. also gave 40l.a year to the town in lieu of the ground he laid into his park, at Theobald’s out of the common.
Northpassage, Wellclose square.
North Prescotalley, St. John’s street, Smithfield.
Northrow, North Audley street.
Northstreet, 1. Lamb street, Spitalfields. 2. Poplar. 3. Smith Square, Westminster.
Northamptonstreet, Wood’s close, St. John street.
Northumberlandalley, Fenchurch street.
Northumberlandcourt, 1. Southampton buildings, Chancery lane. 2. In the strand.