S.

S.

Sacristof St. Paul’s cathedral, an officer who is assistant to the Treasurer. He is to keep every thing in order belonging to the altar, and to open the church doors at the first ringing of the bell for morning and evening prayers. This officerwhen chosen by the Treasurer, must be presented to the Dean for his approbation, by whom he is admitted upon taking an oath to discharge his office with fidelity.

The Sacrist has three servants under him, called Vergers, who also keep servants for cleaning the church, tolling the bell, blowing the organ bellows, and other servile business.Newc. Rep.

Sadlers, a very ancient company, though it was not incorporated by letters patent till the reign of Edward I. They are governed by a Prime and three other Wardens, with eighteen Assistants, and have a livery of seventy members, whose fine on their admission is 10l.They have a very handsome hall in Cheapside.Maitland.

Sadlersalley, Dorset street.

Sadlerscourt, Milford lane.

Saffronhill, 1. Field lane, at the bottom of Snow hill. 2. Hockley in the Hole.

Salisburyalley, Chiswell street.

Salisburycourt, Dorset street, Fleet street; so called from the Bishop of Salisbury’s city mansion there; afterwards the Earl of Dorset’s.

Salisburylane, Rotherhith Wall.

Salisburystairs, Salisbury street, in the Strand.

Salisburystreet, 1. Marigold street, Rotherhith Wall. 2. In the Strand; so called from the Earl of Salisbury’s house, which formerly stood there.

Salisburywalk, Chelsea road.

Salmon’slane, Ratcliff.†

Salt Office, in York Buildings, is under the government of five Commissioners, each of whom has a salary of 500l.per annum. Under these Commissioners are the following officers: a Treasurer, who has 430l.a year, for himself and three Clerks; he has also a Deputy: two Billmen: a Comptroller, who has 350l.a year, with a Deputy and two Clerks: the Comptroller’s Secretary has 200l.a year, and an Assistant: an Accomptant General, who has 200l.per annum, and his Clerk 40l.a year: a Correspondent, who has 100l.a year, and his Clerk 60l.a Chief Accomptant and Clerk of Securities, who has 180l.per annum: two Accomptants, who have 70l.a year each, a Clerk, who has 60l.and another 40l.per annum: a Storekeeper and Clerk of the charities and diaries, who has 60l.a year; a Collector of the port of London, who has 60l.an Assistant Searcher 60l.and two Surveyors who have 40l.a year each.

Besides these, there are in this officean housekeeper who has 100l.a year, and several other servants.

Salters, one of the twelve principal companies, and the ninth in order of precedency, is of considerable antiquity, since they had the grant of a livery from Richard II. in the year 1394; but it does not appear that they were incorporated before the first year of the reign of Queen Elizabeth, in 1558.

This company has a Master, two Wardens, twenty-seven Assistants, and a livery of 190 members, who upon their being admitted, pay a fine of 20l.They have a very considerable estate, out of which they pay 500l.per annumto charitable uses. Their hall, which is a plain brick building, is situated in a neat court in Swithin’s lane.

Saltersalley, 1. Green bank, Wapping. 2. Nightingale lane.

Salterscourt, Piccadilly.

Salters Hallcourt, in Swithin’s lane, where is Salters hall, in which is a handsome presbyterian meeting-house.

Saltpetre Bank, 1. East Smithfield, by Little Tower hill. 2. By Rosemary lane.

Salutationcourt, St. Giles’s Broadway.*

Sambrook’scourt, Old Broad street.†

Sambrugh’scourt, Basinghall street.†

Samson’srents, Green Walk.†

Sandwichcourt, Houndsditch.†

Sandy’srents, Coverley’s fields.†

Sandy’sstreet, Widegate alley, Bishopsgate street without.†

Sarah’sstreet, New Gravel lane.

Sarnalley, Rotherhith Wall.†

Satchell’srents, 1. Shoreditch.† 2. Whitecross street, Cripplegate.†

Savagegardens, Tower hill.†

Savage’scourt, Widegate alley, Bishopsgate street.†

Savage’srents, Black Friars.†

Savery’salley, Farmer’s street, Shadwell.†

Savilerow, near New Bond street.†

St.Saviour’sBermondsey, a priory, and afterwards an abbey, founded by Alwin Child, a citizen of London, in the year 1082, in the place now denominated St. John’s court Bermondsey.

This priory was not only confirmed by the charter of William Rufus, together with all the benefactions belonging to it; but that Prince also conferred upon the Prior and Monks the manor of Bermondsey, and erected a handsome and spacious conventual church for their accommodation. This priory, however, being an alien and a cell to one in France, it was among other foreign foundations sequestered by Edward III. in the year 1371,who constituted Richard Denton, an Englishman, Prior thereof.

This priory was in 1391 converted into an abbey; and at the general suppression of monasteries in the year 1539 was surrendered to Henry VIII. when being granted to Sir John Pope, he demolished the old abbey, and erected in its room a stately edifice, which some time after came to the Earls of Sussex.Stow’s Survey.

St.Saviour’sdock, vulgarly calledSavory dock, in Rotherhith, took its name from the above abbey, dedicated to the holy Saviour.Maitland.

St.Saviour’sMill, vulgarly calledSavory mill, also belonged to the above abbey, and was in the year 1536 let by the Abbot and Monks to John Curlew, at the yearly rent of 6l.which was then the value of eighteen quarters of good wheat; and he was also bound to grind all the corn used in the abbey.

In the place where this mill stood, is now an engine for raising water to supply the neighbourhood.Maitland.

St.Saviour’sSchool, in St. Saviour’s church yard, Southwark, was founded by the parish, for the education of boys in grammatical learning, and confirmed by letters patent granted by Queen Elizabeth, so early as the year 1562, and thefourth of her reign; by which six of the vestry are for ever appointed Governors.

To this school belong a Master and Usher, the former of whom has a salary of 30l.and the latter 20l.per annum.

St.Saviour’sSouthwark, orSt.Mary Overies, a church of great antiquity, situated to the south west of the bridge foot. In the place where it stands, is said to have been anciently a priory of nuns founded by one Mary a Virgin, the owner of a ferry over the river Thames, before the building of London bridge. Some time after the priory was converted into a college of Priests; but that establishment, as well as the former, proving of no long duration, it was in the year 1106 founded by two Norman Knights, and the Bishop of Winchester, for Canons regular, and from its dedication to the Virgin Mary, and its situation, was called St. Mary Overie, that is, St. Mary over the river.

This edifice was destroyed by fire about the year 1207; but it being soon after rebuilt, Peter de Rupibus, Bishop of Winchester, added to it a spacious chapel, which he dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen; and this being afterwards appointed for the use of the inhabitants, it at last became their parish church.

The monastery and church were rebuilt in the reigns of Richard II. and Henry IV. but at the general suppression of religious houses were surrendered to Henry VIII. in the year 1539; upon which the parishes of St. Mary Magdalen, and St. Margaret, purchased the conventual church of King Henry; and were the next year united by act of Parliament, and the church being then repaired, was called by the new name of St. Saviour’s.Stowe.

Both the construction and extent of this Gothic structure resemble a cathedral more than a parish church. The length is 260 feet, and that of the cross isle 109: the breadth of the body is 54 feet, and the height of the tower, including the pinacles, is 150 feet. The construction of the windows, entrances, and every other part, is purely in the Gothic style, except a modern door, which is neither Gothic, nor agreeable to the rules of any other architecture. The tower, which is square, and well proportioned, is supported by massy pillars over the meeting of the middle and cross isles; it is crowned with battlements, and has a pinacle at each corner.

In a chapel at the east end of the church is the monument of Bishop Andrews,who was interred there; and in another part of the church is that of the Bishop of Winchester; but the most singular monument is that of the family of the Austins, erected in the last century, and repaired, new painted, and gilt by the relations in 1706.

The first figure is a rock, upon which is written,Petra eratXTS. that is, The rock was Christ. Down this rock runs a stream of water; and out of it glides a serpent, his old skin being stript off by the rock, which is seen hanging on that part of his back that is not yet got thro’. At the foot of the rock there grows standing corn, on which is a label with these words,Si non moriatur, non reviviscit, that is, If it dieth not, it liveth not again. Underneath the corn is this motto,Nos sevit, fovit, lavit, coget, renovabit,i.e.He hath sown, cherished, washed us, and shall gather us together and renew us.

Upon the top of the rock stands an angel, holding a sickle in his left hand, and with his right pointing to the sun, which shines, and on its lower rays is a label, upon which is,Sol justitiæ,i.e.The Sun of righteousness.

On the sides of the monument are scythes, flails, shepherds crooks, rakes,ploughs, harrows, and other instruments of husbandry hanging by a ribband out of a Death’s head; and above them,Vos estis agricultura,i.e.Ye are God’s husbandry.

On the outside of these a harvest man with wings is seated on each side, one with a fork behind him, and the other with a rake. They have straw hats, and lean their heads upon their hands, the elbows resting upon their knees, as if fatigued with labour, and under them are these words,Messores congregabunt,i.e.The reapers shall gather. Under all is a winnowing fan, upon which is stretched a sheet of parchment bearing a long inscription in Latin.

Though the name of this church has been changed from St. Mary Overies to that of St. Saviour, yet the former still prevails. It is a rectory in the gift of the parish, and the profits arising to the two Chaplains, are said to amount to above 300l.per annum.

Savorydock. SeeSt.Saviour’sdock.

Savory Mill.SeeSt.Saviour’smill.

Savorymill stairs, corruptly so called, Rotherhith. SeeSt.Saviour’smill stairs.

Savoy, orLancaster Palace, is situated to the westward of Somerset house, between the Strand and the Thames. This place obtained the name of the Savoy, fromPeter Earl of Savoy and Richmond, who built it about the year 1245, and afterwards transferred it to the friars of Montjoy, of whom Queen Eleanor, the wife of King Henry III. purchased it for her son Henry Duke of Lancaster. The Duke afterwards enlarged and beautified it, at the expence of 52,000 marks, at that time an immense sum. Here John King of France resided, when a prisoner in England in the year 1357, and upon his return hither in 1363, when it was esteemed one of the finest palaces in England.

This edifice was burnt in 1381 by the Kentish rebels, on account of some pique they had conceived against John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, who was then the proprietor. But the ground afterwards devolving to the Crown, King Henry VII. began to rebuild it as it at present appears, for an hospital, for the reception of an hundred distressed objects; but that Prince not living to see it compleated, Henry VIII. his son, not only granted his manor of the Savoy to the Bishop of Winchester and others, the executors of his father’s will, towards finishing the hospital; but by his charter of the 5th of July 1513, constituted them a body politic and corporate, to consist of a Master, five secular Chaplains, and four Regulars, in honourof Jesus Christ, his Mother, and St. John Baptist; the foundation to be denominatedThe hospital of King Henry VII. late King of England, of the Savoy.

This hospital was suppressed in the reign of Edward VI. when the revenues were found to amount to 530l.per annum, which that Prince gave to the city of London towards making a provision for the hospitals of Bridewell, Christ-church, and St. Thomas: but Queen Mary converted it into an hospital again, and having endowed it anew, her Ladies and Maids of honour completely furnished it, at their own expence, with all necessaries. However the hospital was again suppressed upon the accession of Queen Elizabeth to the throne, and the revenues applied to the uses intended by her brother.

Nothing here is now to be seen, but the ruins of the ancient edifice built with free-stone and flints, among which is still remaining part of a great building, in which detachments of the King’s guards lie, and where they have their Marshalsea prison for the confinement of deserters and other offenders, and to lodge their recruits.

A part of the Savoy was assigned by King William III. for the residence of the French refugees, who have still a chapelhere, in which they conform to the church of England.Stowe.Dugdale’s Mon. Ang.

Sawcourt, Fore street, Cripplegate.

Sawyer’scourt, Houndsditch.†

Sawyer’syard, 1. Hosier lane. 2. Tower street, Soho.

Scaldingalley, in the Poultry. In this alley was formerly a large house, known by the name of the Scalding-house; for the street called the Poultry containing a number of Poulterers stalls, the fowls they sold there were first scalded in this house.Maitland.

Scallopcourt, Creed lane, Ludgate street.

Schoolalley, East Smithfield.☐

Schoollane, Jamaica street, Rotherhith.☐

Schoolyard, Ailesbury street, Clerkenwell.☐

Schoolhousealley, Swan alley.☐

Schoolhouselane, 1. Ailesbury street.☐ 2. Brooke street, Ratcliff.☐

Schoolhouseyard, 1. Rose street, Shoreditch.☐ 2. Schoolhouse lane, Ratcliff.☐ 3. Sutton street, St. John’s street, Clerkenwell.☐

Schools.Of these we have given an account under the names of their particular foundations; the most famous and noble of these, are, the Charterhouse, Mercers school, Merchant Taylors school, St.Paul’s school, and Westminster school; and among those for the instruction of the lower class, is Christ-church school, a noble foundation for the education and support of the children of deceased citizens, and a great number of smaller foundations, as, St. Olave’s school, Ratcliff school, Tothill fields school, and several others; all of which the reader may find under their respective articles.

In these schools, exclusive of Christ-church hospital, are educated 2888 boys, and 285 girls; the charge of whose education, &c. exclusive of those which belong to hospitals and almshouses, amounts, according to Maitland, to the annual sum of 1990l.

Besides these, which are supported by regular funds, there are a great number denominatedCharity Schools, that have no other foundation and support, than generous benefactions, annual subscriptions, and the charitable collections made in the several churches in this city and suburbs. Of these we shall give a list, with the number of the boys and girls in each.

Thus in these charity schools are educated 3458 boys, and 1901 girls, in all 5359. Mr. Maitland has been at some pains in endeavouring to learn the respective charges of the above schools; but not being able to obtain an account of each, he has endeavoured to settle as near as possible the expence of maintaining the whole, and that by a method equally plain and satisfactory: for having found that the parish school of St. Andrew’s, Holborn, which contains eighty boys, cost in one year 272l.2s.9d.and seventy girls in the same school 139l.14s.6d.he computed, that as the charge of eighty boys amounts to 272l.2s.9d.so that of 3458 boys must amount to 11,763l.2s.10¼d.and so, by the same method of calculation, as the expence of seventy girls amounts to 139l.14s.6d.that of 1901 girls must amount to 3794l.10s.7½d. per annum; whence it appears, that the whole expence of all the said charity children amounts to 15,557l.13s.5¾d.per annum.

The same author adds, that the annual expence of the above free-schools, exclusive of those belonging to the hospitals and almshouses, amounting to 1990l.it appears that the expence of these schools,added to that of the charity schools, amount in all to 17,547l.13s.3¾d.

As to the number of private schools in this metropolis and its suburbs, for educating youth in all kinds of literature, they are supposed to amount to above three thousand.Maitland.

Score’salley, East Smithfield.†

Scotlandyard, Whitehall; so named from a palace which formerly stood there for the reception of the Kings of Scotland, when they came to do homage for the county of Cumberland, and other fiefs held by them of the Crown of England.Stow’s Survey.

Scots Corporation, for the relief of poor and necessitous people of that country. This corporation owes its origin to James Kinnier, a Scotsman, and merchant of this city; who on his recovery from a long and dangerous illness, resolved to give part of his estate towards the relief of the aged and necessitous of his country, within the cities of London and Westminster: and having prevailed with a society of his countrymen, who composed a box club, to join their stock, applied for a charter, by which he and his co-adjutors were, in the year 1665, constituted a body politic and corporate,with several privileges, which King Charles II. confirmed the following year by letters patent, wherein are recited the privileges granted in the former charter, with the addition of several new ones, viz.

That they might erect an hospital within the city or liberties of London and Westminster, to be called,The Scots hospital of King Charles II.to be governed by eight Scotsmen, who were to chuse from among themselves a Master, who, together with these Governors, were declared to be a body politic and corporate, and to have a common seal. They were also impowered to elect thirty-three Assistants, and to purchase in mortmain 400l.per annum, over and above an annual sum mentioned in the first charter; the profits arising from these purchases to be employed in relieving poor old Scots men and women, and instructing and employing poor Scottish orphans, the descendants of Scotsmen within this city.

This humane foundation had however like to have been crushed in its bud by two very dreadful events, the plague, and the fire of London; which happened in the very years when the charters were granted. However, those who had the direction of the work began in the year1670 to prosecute it with vigour; and found themselves not only in a condition to provide for their poor, but took a lease of a piece of ground in Black Friars, to build upon, for the term of a thousand years, at a ground-rent of 40l.and by charitable contributions were enabled to erect their hall, with two houses at Fleetditch, and four in Black Friars, which were soon after finished at the expence of 4450l.

All matters relating to the corporation are managed by the Governors without fee or reward; for they not only, upon all such occasions, spend their own money, but contribute quarterly for the support of the society, and the relief of the poor; they provide for the sick; to the reduced and aged they grant pensions; they bury the dead, and give money to such as are disposed to return to Scotland. The sums disbursed by the society amount to about 600l.per annum.

The officers belonging to this corporation are, a Treasurer, a Register, two Stewards, and a Beadle.

Scot’swharf, White Friars, Fleet street.†

Scot’syard, 1. Bush lane.† 2. Mill bank, Westminster.† 3. Montague street, Spitalfields.† 4. Stony lane, Southwark.† 5. Whitecross street.†

Scriveners, a fraternity anciently denominated The Writers of the court letter of the city of London, was incorporated by letters patent granted by King James I. in the year 1616, by the name ofThe Master, Wardens, and Assistants of the Society of Writers of the city of London.

This company is governed by a Master, two Wardens, and twenty-four Assistants, with fifty-three livery-men, who upon their admission pay a fine of 5l.

The company of Scriveners being reduced to low circumstances, thought proper to sell their hall in Noble street to the Coachmakers company.

Scroop’scourt, Holborn. In this court anciently stood one of the Inns of court called Scroop’s Inn.

Scrub’ssquare, Upper Ground, Southwark.

Seaalley, King street, Westminster.

The Office for the relief ofSea Officers Widows. The Lords of the Admiralty having taken into consideration, the unhappy condition to which the widows of many of the officers of the navy were reduced by the death of their husbands, proposed both to the commissioned and half-pay officers of the navy, to enter into a voluntary agreement, to grant three pence in the pound out of their pay, towardsestablishing a fund for allowing pensions to such of their widows as are left in mean circumstances.

To this the officers readily consenting, the Lords Commissioners laid the affair before his present Majesty, who, to promote so good a work, granted his letters patent in the year 1732, directing that three pence in the pound be deducted from the pay and half-pay of all commission and warrant officers of the navy; and to appoint the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, the Treasurer, Commissioners, Paymaster, and Cashier of the navy, for the time being, twenty Captains, ten Lieutenants, five Masters, five Boatswains, five Gunners, five Carpenters, five Pursers, and five Surgeons of the navy, the eldest of their respective stations, to be Governors of this corporation: out of whom are appointed a President, two Vice Presidents, a Treasurer, and fifteen Assistants, as a committee for the management of all the affairs belonging to this charity.

The first Commissioner of the Admiralty is to be always President; and the Treasurer of the navy to be always the Treasurer; but the two Vice Presidents, and fifteen Assistants, are to be elected annually.

By the orders of this generous corporation, no officer or servant employed therein, is to receive any salary, reward, or gratuity; the whole business being transactedgratis.

The first step taken by the Governors was providing for the widows whose husbands died after the date of the above letters patent; who, in the first year amounted to twenty-four, to whom pensions were allowed, according to the following regulations, viz. To the widow of a Captain, 45l.per annum; to the widow of a Lieutenant or Master, 30l.and to the widow of a Boatswain, Gunner, Carpenter, Purser, Surgeon, second Master of a yacht, or Master of a naval vessel appointed by the navy board, 20l.per annum.

The Lords Commissioners afterwards commiserating the unhappy circumstances of many poor widows, whose husbands died before this corporation was established, and therefore could receive no benefit from the fund which was justly appropriated to the relief of the widows of those officers who had paid to its support, renewed their application to his Majesty, who recommended their case to the Parliament; upon which it was enacted, that one seaman should be allowed upon the books of every ship of war, in the sea-payin every hundred men that its complement should consist of, and that the produce of the wages of such seamen, and the value of their victuals should be given and applied towards the relief of poor widows of commission and warrant officers of the royal navy.

Seacoallane, extends from Snow hill to Fleet lane. Stowe thinks it was originally called Limeburners lane, and that it took its present name from the burning of lime there with sea coal.

Seahorsealley, Durham yard, in the Strand.*

Searle’ssquare, Lincoln’s Inn.†

Searle’sstreet, Carey street, Lincoln’s Inn.†

Searle’swharf, near White Friars.†

Office of sick and hurtSeamen,and for taking care ofPrisoners of War, on Tower hill, is under the government of four Commissioners, the first of whom has 400l.per annum, and 65l.for house rent; and the other three 300l.a year. The officers under these Commissioners are, a Secretary, who has 200l.per annum; a first Clerk, who has 100l.a year; and three inferior Clerks, who have 60l.a year.

Office for sick and maimedSeamen in the Merchants Service, in the RoyalExchange. The corporation who provide for these objects of distress, consists of a number of merchants, who were incorporated on the 24th of June 1747, and are governed by a President, and a Council of twenty-one.

Secretary of State’s Office, Whitehall. The Kings of England had anciently no more than one Secretary of state, till about the end of the reign of Henry VIII. when it was thought proper that this important office should be discharged by two persons of equal authority, both stiledPrincipal Secretaries of state.

At that time they did not sit at the council board; but having prepared their business in a room adjoining to the council chamber, they came in, and stood on either hand of the King; when nothing was done till they had gone through with their proposals. But Queen Elizabeth seldom coming to council, that method was laid aside, and the Secretaries took their places as Privy Counsellors, which dignity they have enjoyed ever since, and a Council is seldom, or never, held without the presence of, at least, one of them.

Their employment rendering their office a place of extraordinary trust, this, together with the multiplicity of their business,places them in a distinguished light, both in respect to the King and the people: for they attend almost every day upon his Majesty, as occasion requires; the petitions of the people are for the most part lodged in their hands, to be presented to the King; and, in return, they make the dispatches, according to his Majesty’s answers and determinations.

The correspondence to all parts of Great Britain without distinction, relating to the church, the army, the militia, grants, pardons, dispensations, &c. is managed by either of the Secretaries. But as to foreign affairs, all the nations that have any intercourse with Great Britain, are divided by them into two provinces, the northern and southern, each being under one of the Secretaries, as his separate department. They have this special honour, that if either of them be a Baron, he takes place, and has the precedence of all other persons of the same degree, tho’ by creation they might have a right to precede him: but if he is above the degree of a Baron, he then takes place only according to the seniority of his creation.

Each of the Secretaries have lodgings appointed for them in all the King’s houses; both for their own accommodation, for their office, and for those thatattend upon it. They have each a salary of 3000l.a year; which, added to their lawful perquisites, is said to make their places worth 8000l.per annumeach.

The Secretaries and Clerks they employ under them are wholly at their own choice, and have no dependence upon any other person. These are,

In the northern department, two Under Secretaries and Keepers of state papers, a first Clerk, and ten other Clerks, a Gazette writer, who has 300l.per annum; and a Secretary for the Latin tongue, whose salary is 200l.a year.

In the southern department are, two Under Secretaries, a first Clerk, seven other Clerks; and a Law Clerk to both, who has a salary of 400l.per annum.

The Secretaries of state have also the custody of the King’s seal, called the signet; the use and application of which gives denomination to another office, called the Signet office. See the articleSignet Office.

There is also another office depending on the Secretaries of state, called the Paper office; for which see that article.

Sedgwick’srents, London Wall.†

Sedgwick’syard, London Wall.†

Seethinglane, Tower street.

St.Sepulchre’s, on the north side of the top of Snow hill near Newgate, and in the ward of Faringdon without, owes its name to its being dedicated in commemoration of Christ’s sepulchre at Jerusalem. It is of great antiquity, and was probably founded during the time, when all Europe were employed in crusades to the holy land; however, about the beginning of the twelfth century, it was given by the Bishop of Salisbury to the Prior and Canons of St. Bartholomew in Smithfield, who, in virtue of that grant, had the right of advowson till the dissolution of their monastery, when coming to the Crown, it continued therein till King James I. in the year 1610, granted the rectory and its appurtenances, with the advowson of the vicarage, to Francis Philips and others; after which the rectory with its appurtenances were purchased by the parishioners, to be held in fee-farm of the Crown, while the advowson was obtained by the President and Fellows of St. John Baptist’s college in Oxford, in whom the patronage still continues.Dugd. Mon. Ang.

The present structure was much damaged, though not destroyed by the fire of London; after which it was thoroughlyrepaired in 1670, when nothing of the old building, except the walls, was suffered to remain, and not those entirely.

This is a very spacious church, it being 126 feet long, besides a broad passage through at the west end; the breadth is fifty-eight feet, exclusive of the north chapel; the height of the roof in the middle isle is thirty-five feet, and the height of the steeple to the top of the pinacles, is 146 feet. The whole length of the side is in a manner taken up by a row of very large Gothic windows, with buttresses between, over which runs a slight cornice, and on the top a plain and substantial battlement work. The steeple is a plain square tower crowned with four pinacles.

The wall of this church yard, till very lately, extended so far into the street all along the south side of the church, as to render the passage narrow and dangerous; but after the church yard on that side had been shut up about fourteen years, it was levelled, and laid open to the street in the beginning of the present year 1760.

The Vicar of this church, besides other advantages, receives 200l.in money in lieu of tithes.

Munday, in his edition of Stow’s Survey,mentions the following monumental inscription in this church.


Back to IndexNext