Chapter 8

Westminster Bridge.

Westminster Bridge.

S. Wale delin.B. Green sc. Oxon.Walton Bridge.

S. Wale delin.B. Green sc. Oxon.Walton Bridge.

The materials are much superior to those commonly used on such occasions: the inside is usually filled up with chalk, small stones, or rubbish; but here all the piers are the same on the inside as without, of solid blocks of Portland stone, many of which are four or five tons weight, and none less than a ton, except the closers, or smaller ones, intended forfastening the others, one of which has its place between every four of the large ones. These vast blocks are perfectly well wrought for uniting; they are laid in Dutch terrace, and also fastened together with iron cramps run in with lead. All this iron work is however entirely concealed, and so placed that none of them can be affected by the water.

It is also worthy of remark, that the soffit of every arch is turned and built quite through with blocks of Portland stone, over which is built and bonded in with it, another arch of Purbeck stone, four or five times thicker on the reins than over the key; and by this secondary arch, together with the incumbent load of materials, all the parts of every arch are in equilibrio, and the whole weight so happily adjusted, that each arch can stand single, without affecting, or being affected by the other arches. In short, between every two arches a drain is contrived to carry off the water and filth, that might in time penetrate and accumulate in those places, to the great detriment of the arches.

Though the greatest care was taken in laying the foundation deep in the gravel, and using every probable method to prevent the sinking of the piers, yetall this was in some degree ineffectual, for one of them sunk so considerably when the work was very near compleated, as to retard the finishing it a considerable time. This gave the highest satisfaction to those who had opposed this noble work: but the commissioners for building the bridge, immediately ordered the arch supported by that pier, on the side where it had sunk, to be taken down, and then caused the base of the pier to be loaded with incredible weights, till all the settlement that could be forced was made. After this the arch was rebuilt, and has ever since been as secure as the rest.

In short the last stone was laid in November 1747, eleven years and nine months from the beginning of the construction; a very short period, considering the vastness of the undertaking, the prodigious quantity of stone made use of, hewn out of the quarry, and brought by sea; the interruptions of winter, the damage frequently done by the ice to the piles and scaffolding, and the unavoidable interruptions occasioned twice a day by the tide, which for two years together, reduced the time of labour to only five hours a day. The expence of erecting this bridge, and of procuring all the requisite conveniences was defrayed byparliament, and amounted to 389,000l.which was raised by several lotteries.

This bridge, considered in itself, is not only a great ornament to this metropolis, and of the most singular advantage to the city of Westminster; but it has entirely changed the appearance of that city; new and beautiful streets have been erected; those that were before narrow, crooked and ill built, have been widened,rendered straight and rebuilt with regularity and elegance. And new plans of improvement are daily formed, and continually putting in execution.

Westminster Fire Office, in Bedford street, Covent Garden, was originally kept at Tom’s coffee-house, in St. Martin’s lane; the deed of settlement was executed on the 13th of February, 1717, and two days after was inrolled in the high court of chancery.Maitland.

This office was erected for insuring only houses from fire, and, like the Hand-in-Hand fire office, is a joint copartnership, every one insuring becoming an equal sharer in the profits and loss, in proportion to his or her respective insurance.

The conditions of insurance are,

I. No house is insured at more than 2000l.but such sums of money as thedirectors, or any three or more of them shall think proper, may be insured upon the wing or wings of any house, having a brick wall between the wings and the body of the house, by a separate policy; provided such sum do not exceed three fourths of the value of the wings.

II. New houses may be insured when tiled in; but not at more than two thirds of their value.

III. The limits of insurance in this office extend to twenty-five miles distance from it; but the proprietors of all houses that are five miles, or a greater distance, are to defray the charge of the surveyor and messenger’s journey, to survey the premises, and set up the mark; and also to defray the charge of the director’s journey to estimate a damage, when and after such loss happens, and the directors are impowered to deduct the charges out of the money due on such loss.

IV. All whose houses are insured pay 12s.deposit and 4s.per cent.premium, on all brick houses, and double for all timber buildings; as a pledge for the performance of their covenants, to be returned at the expiration of their policies, with the yearly dividends of profits, incident charges and contribution to losses first deducted. Persons paying for eachpolicy, besides the stamps; 4d.for all houses within, and 1s.without the bills of mortality.

V. Each policy is to contain but one house, unless where two, three or more small houses stand together, in which case 500l.may be insured upon them, each being distinctly valued.

VI. Every insurance is for seven years; and such insurance is to continue in force till six o’clock of the evening of that day seven years, on which the same is dated; and in the mean time such insurers property in the premises insured ceases, when such insurer or legal representative, may receive the return of deposit due upon the respective policy or policies, the same being delivered up to the office to be cancelled. But the deposit-money on policies expired, not demanded within two years after, is sunk to the society, and all policies either new or to be renewed, directed to be made out and not taken away in three months after, are cancelled. The earned money paid for such new policies is sunk; and the stamp and charge of such renewed policies are deducted out of every insurer’s deposit-money.

VII. Every house that is by reason of fire destroyed from the first floor upwards, is deemed as demolished, and the directorsare impowered either to pay the money insured thereon within sixty days after notice given to them at their office, or to rebuild the same with all convenient speed; but no more than 30l.is allowed for any chimney piece destroyed by fire; and gilding, history, painting and carving are excepted from the insurance.

VIII. Every member, upon any loss, is to certify the same to the directors within thirty days after such loss happened, that skilful persons may view and report the same, and a rate of contributions be made thereon; otherwise the society is not obliged to make good such losses.

IX. Every member neglecting to pay his rate towards any loss for twenty-five days after publication in the Gazette, or otherwise, forfeits double the said rates; and neglecting to pay these forfeits, for five days more, forfeits all his right and deposit-money, and may be excluded by the directors from the society, and the benefit of his insurance; his covenant nevertheless, to abide in force.

X. Contributions to losses are dated annually, and every person insuring in the same year contributes in proportion to his insurance, to the losses, and receives a dividend of the profits of that year,arising from interest,&c.also in proportion to the sum insured. Every year’s account commencing on the first of October, and ending on the 30th of September following: but the contribution of no member is to be charged above 10s.per cent.for brick, and double for timber houses.

XI. If any house is insured in any other office at the same time it is insured in this such insurance is void.

XII. Twenty-four firemen are employed by this office in extinguishing fires, all of whom are cloathed by the office, and have badges bearing the mark of the office, which is a portcullis, crowned with the Prince of Wales’s coronet.Settlement of the Westminster contributionship.

Westminster Hall, was first built by William Rufus, as an addition to the palace of Westminster, and that Prince at his return from Normandy kept the high festival of Christmas in this room, which for several reigns was used for great feasts, whenever our Kings entertained in a splendid manner the nobility and clergy: of this we find many instances; but what appears most remarkable, King Henry III. on New Year’s Day 1236, gave a public entertainment to 6000 poor men, women and childrenin this hall and the other rooms of the palace.

S. Wale delin.J. Green sc. Oxon.Westminster Hall.

S. Wale delin.J. Green sc. Oxon.Westminster Hall.

At length this great hall becoming very ruinous, it was rebuilt by Richard II. in the year 1397, as it at present appears, together with the buildings on the east and west sides; and it was no sooner finished than it received the appellation of the new palace, to distinguish it from the old palace, where the house of Lords and Commons at present assemble.

In the year 1399, the King kept his Christmas here, during which time 10000 persons were plentifully entertained in this spacious hall, and the other rooms of the palace; for whose supply were daily killed about eighty oxen, and three hundred sheep, besides a vast number of fowls. It is still used for our coronation feasts; and for the three great courts of justice, the chancery, king’s bench, and common pleas, besides the court of exchequer which adjoins to it.

The front of this hall is extremely narrow, it is built with stone in the gothic taste, with a tower on each side the entrance, adorned with abundance of carved work. The print represents this front. The hall itself is esteemed the largest room in Europe unsupported by pillars, it being 270 feet in lengthand 74 broad. The roof is admired for the excellence of the workmanship, and the sides contain a number of shops belonging to booksellers,&c.It is paved with stone, and to the courts of justice at the end is an assent by a flight of steps. The inside is most remarkable for being so wide and having no columns to support a roof so large. It is a regular Gothic, and gives us a good idea of the skill in architecture of our fore fathers so early as the time of Richard II.

Westminster Hallcourt, Dunning’s alley, Bishopsgate street.

Westminster Infirmary, a plain neat building in James street, by Petty France, Westminster; founded for the relief of the sick, and of those who suffer by any of the unavoidable accidents to which the human frame is always liable. This charitable and noble foundation was first set on foot on the second of December, 1719, when the subscription was first opened, and trustees appointed. Benefactions were soon procured, and several of the most eminent Physicians and Surgeons not only became subscribers, but generously offered their assistance gratis. About the beginning of April 1720, a house was taken in Petty France, and fitted up with all the necessary accommodationsfor an infirmary; but it being soon found too small to contain the number of miserable objects brought thither, they four years after were removed to a larger house in Chapel street, where they continued till the present edifice in James street was erected.

The standing orders of this noble charity are as follow.

I. All persons who shall subscribe 2l.2s.or moreper annum, are trustees of this charity: but any trustee or subscriber neglecting to pay his subscription for the space of two years, is no longer deemed a trustee or subscriber, or to have any vote or privilege till his arrears are paid.

II. Every person giving a benefaction of 30l.or upwards, immediately becomes a trustee.

III. Every person who, by will, bequeaths a legacy of 50l.or upwards, may nominate another person, who, immediately after payment of the said legacy, is deemed a trustee.

IV. Each trustee may have one in-patient and one out-patient at a time; every person who becomes a subscriber of 2l.2s.per annum, may have two in-patients and four out-patients in a year, and every person who becomes a subscriber of 1l.1s.per annum, may have onein-patient and two out-patients in a year; but the treasurer, physicians, and surgeons, may have each two in-patients and two out-patients at a time, or four out-patients.

V. No person is to act as a trustee during the time that he, or any other person for his benefit, is employed as a tradesman, or appointed to work for, or supply the charity with provisions, or any other commodity, nor for the space of six months after his having been so employed.

VI. No person who has the venereal disease is to be admitted as a patient: And if any such person shall obtain admission under pretence of some other distemper; he or she, upon the discovery, is to be immediately discharged.

VII. Four quarterly general boards are held every year; and the weekly board, on the Wednesday after each quarter-day, is to appoint such quarterly board, within forty days after each quarter-day, and to nominate a committee of three, five, or more trustees, to prepare the business to be laid before such board.

VIII. The weekly board may, as often as they see occasion, appoint special general boards to be held (during the intervals between the quarterly general boards;)and may call a special general board when required by any seven trustees; giving notice in the summons of the occasion of calling such special board.

IX. If a ballot be demanded by three or more trustees at any quarterly or special general board, the chairman is to appoint a special general board for taking the same, at any time after fourteen days, and not exceeding twenty-one days, from the demand of such ballot; which is to begin at eleven o’clock in the forenoon, and be closed at two in the afternoon: And notice of such ballot, and the question on which it was demanded, is to be given to the trustees in the summons, and be advertised in some of the public papers.

X. All general boards are to consist of at least thirteen trustees.

XI. No standing order of this society is to be repealed, or altered, or any new one be in force, without the approbation of two general boards.

XII. The treasurer is chosen annually at the first general board after the general audit, proposed to the weekly board three weeks before his election.

XIII. The accounts of this society are to be annually closed upon the 31st of December.

XIV. All bonds, or other securities, for money belonging to the society, are secured in an iron chest under three different keys, kept by the vice-president and treasurer for the time being, and a third person nominated by a general board.

XV. The physicians, surgeons, apothecary, clerk, and matron, are appointed by the general board; and no addition is to be made to the salary of the apothecary, clerk, or matron, or any gratuity given them, without the consent of a general board. The inferior servants of the house, and tradesmen to be employed, are also appointed by the weekly board: And any gentleman may be candidate for physician, who has been educated, and taken his degrees in physick, in any university, or is a fellow or member of a college of physicians, in Great Britain or Ireland. A general board is to appoint the day for election of a treasurer, physician, surgeon, apothecary, clerk, or matron; and the first weekly board is to appoint a special general board to declare such vacancy by death or resignation; and in the mean time, the weekly board is impowered, in case of necessity, to employ such person or persons to officiate as treasurer, physicians, surgeons, apothecary, clerk, or matron, as occasionrequires, till a proper person is chosen by a general board.

XVI. When any extraordinary operation in surgery is to be performed, all surgeons, who are trustees, have liberty to attend.

XVII. Pursuant to the will of a considerable benefactor to this charity, none but Protestants are at any time to be admitted into any service or employ in or about this infirmary.

XVIII. A weekly board, consisting of as many trustees as please to attend, meet at the infirmary every Wednesday; and have power, from time to time, to make such rules, and give such instructions and orders, as they find necessary for the immediate direction of the several officers, servants, and others, employed in this charity; for the admitting or dismissing of patients; and regulating every thing relating to the good management of the house: But no new order of the weekly board is to be of force (if objected to by any two trustees present,) till it be approved of by the majority at the next weekly board.

XIX. Two trustees are nominated every Wednesday, by the weekly board, to be visitors for the ensuing week, who are to attend daily, and inquire into thebehaviour of the officers, servants, and patients, the quantity and quality of the provisions, and every thing relating to the oeconomy of the house; and these visitors have power to suspend any servant for misbehaviour, and to reject such provisions as they shall find deficient or improper, and provide others in their room, till they have made their report to the next weekly board.

XX. All questions at every board and committee are decided by the votes of the majority of the trustees present, and of the proxies for the ladies who are trustees, such proxy being given in writing to some person who is a trustee, and being entered in a book to be kept for that purpose by the secretary. And the minutes of each board and committee are to be signed by the respective chairmen.

XXI. It having been resolved that all subscriptions to this hospital are payable in advance, upon the respective quarter days for the year then to come; letters, signed by the chairman of every quarterly general board, are to be sent to each subscriber whose subscription shall then appear to have been three months due, according to the foregoing resolution, to remind him of such arrear, and to request the payment of it.From the orders published by the general board.

Westminstermarket, a very convenient and handsome market in King street.

Westminsterschool, or Queen’s college, Westminster, was founded by Queen Elizabeth, in the year 1590, for the education of forty boys, who are taught classical learning, and in the best manner prepared for the university. Besides whom, a great number of the sons of the nobility and gentry are educated there, which has rendered it one of the greatest schools in the kingdom. Instead of one master, and an usher, as at first; there are now an upper and under master, and five ushers, who have about 400 young gentlemen under their tuition.Maitland.

Westmorelandcourt, 1. Bartholomew close, so called from the mansion of the Earls of Westmoreland, formerly situated there: 2. Noble street, Foster lane.

Weston’srents, Houndsditch.†

West’sgardens, New Gravel lane.†

West Sidealley, near Tooley street, Southwark.

West Smithfield. See the articleSmithfield. The epithet West is never used but to distinguish it from East Smithfield.

Weststreet, 1. Soho: 2. Spitalfields market.

Weybridge, a village in Surry, four miles south-west of Hampton Court, took its name from a bridge formerly erected here over the river Wey. About this village are several fine seats, particularly those of the Earls of Portmore and Lincoln. The former was beautified by the Countess of Dorchester, in the reign of King James II. and has a fine walk of acacia trees, which when first planted were esteemed great curiosities. Among the advantages of the other, is a noble terrace walk, raised so high above the neighbouring ground, as to afford a fine prospect of the country and the river. For some farther account of both these seats. SeeOatlandsandHam Farm.

Whalebonecourt, 1. Bow lane, Cheapside: 2. Little Old Bailey: 3. Lothbury: 4. Throgmorton street.

Wharton’scourt, 1. Church-yard alley.† 2. Holbourn.† 3. Lambeth or Lambert hill, Thames street.†

Wharton’srents, New Gravel lane.†

Wheatsheafalley, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. Lambeth.* 3. Michael’s lane, Thames street.*

Wheelyard, Stony lane.

Wheelbarrowalley, Rosemary lane.

Wheelerstreet, Lamb street, Spitalfields.

Wheeler’salley, Old street.†

Wheeler’slane, St. Olave street, Southwark.†

Wheeler’syard, Redcross street, Barbican.† 2. Wheeler’s lane, Southwark.†

Wheelwrights, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King Charles II. in the year 1670, and governed by a master, two wardens, and twenty-two assistants; but they have neither hall nor livery.

Wheelwrightyard, Nightingale lane.†

Whetster’sground, 1. Millbank, Westminster.† 2. Peter street.†

Whetston’spark, Lincoln’s Inn fields.†

Whistler’scourt, Salter’s Hall court, St. Swithin’s lane.†

Whitcher’salmshouse, situated at Tothill side, Westminster, was founded by Mr. George Whitcher, in the year 1683, for six poor old people, each of whom are allowed the annual sum of 5l.and a gown.Maitland.

Whitcomb’salley, Great Queen street.†

Whitcomb’scourt, Hedge lane, Charing Cross.†

Whitcomb’sstreet, Hedge lane.†

White Ballcourt, Castle street.*

White Bearalley, 1. Kent street, Southwark.* 2. Addle hill.* 3. Redcrossstreet.* 4. Rosemary lane, Little Tower Hill.* 5. Whitechapel.*

White Bearcourt, Addle hill.*

White Bearyard, Holiwell street.*

Whitechapel, a long and broad street which extends from the north-east corner of the Minories, to near Mile-end. It derived its name from St. Mary’s church, which was originally a chapel of ease to St. Dunstan’s Stepney, and from its whiteness called the White chapel.

Whitechapelbars, a little to the west of Whitechapel church, placed where the liberties of the city end.

Whitechapelcommon, Mile-end.

Whitechapelcourt, is a court of record belonging to Stepney manor; wherein the steward of the manor tries actions for any sum, as well as of damage, trespass,&c.

Whitechapelfield gate, Whitechapel.

Whitechapelmarket, a considerable flesh market consisting only of a range of butchers shops on the south side of the street, near the west end.

Whitechapelschool, was founded by Mr. Ralph Davenant, rector of the parish of St. Mary Whitechapel, by Mary, his wife, and Sarah, her sister, in the year 1680: and this foundation being greatly augmented by the charitable benefactionof 1000l.given in the year 1721, by a person unknown, a master receives a salary of 30l.per annumfor teaching of sixty boys, as does a mistress 20l.for instructing forty girls.Maitland.

White Cockalley, Thames street.*

Whitecourt, Peter lane.

Whitecrossalley, Moorfields.

Whitecrossstreet, Fore street, Cripplegate, so named from a white cross which anciently stood at the upper end of it: 2. Queen street, Southwark: 3. Spitalfields, these last had probably their name from the same original.

White Friars, a number of lanes, alleys, and passages extending from the west side of Water lane to the Temple; and from Fleet street to the Thames. It took its name from the White Friars, or Carmelites, who had their house in this place next to Fleet street, and their garden probably extended from thence to the water side. They were cloathed in white, and having made a vow of poverty lived by begging. Their convent was founded by Sir Richard Gray, Knt. ancestor to the Lord Gray of Codnor in Derbyshire in the year 1241, and was afterwards rebuilt by Hugh Courtney, Earl of Devonshire, about the year 1350. In the conventual church were interred many persons of distinction.

This convent and its church were surrendered to Henry VIII. in the thirtieth year of his reign, when they were valued at no more than 26l.7s.3d.and being soon after pulled down, other houses were built in their room.Maitland.

In the year 1608, the inhabitants obtained several liberties, privileges and exemptions by a charter granted them by King James I. and this rendered the place an asylum for insolvent debtors, cheats, and gamesters, who gave to this district the name of Alsatia: but the inconveniences the city suffered from this place of refuge, and the riotous proceedings carried on there, at length induced the legislature to interpose; and to deprive them of privileges so pernicious to the community.

White Friarsdock, White Friars.

White Friarsstairs, White Friars.

Whitehall, a palace originally built by Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent, who in the year 1243, bequeathed it to the Black Friars in Chancery lane, Holbourn, in whose church he was interred. But in 1248, these friars having disposed of it to Walter de Grey, Archbishop of York, he left it to his successors, the Archbishops of that see, for their city mansion, and hence it obtained the name of York place.However, the royal palace at Westminster suffering greatly by fire in the reign of Henry VIII. and that Prince having a great inclination for York place, purchased it of Cardinal Wolsey, in the year 1530.

Henry had no sooner obtained the possession of this palace than he enclosed the park for the accommodation of both palaces, and built the beautiful gate opposite the banqueting house (which has been lately pulled down) to which he added a magnificent gallery, for the accommodation of the Royal Family, the nobility and great officers of state; for there they sat to see the tournaments performed in the tiltyard; and soon after the King, who had a greater taste for pleasure, than for elegance of building, ordered a tennis-court, a cock-pit, and bowling greens to be formed, with other places for different kinds of diversion.

From this time Whitehall continued the royal residence of the Sovereigns of England; and Hentzner in hisItinerariumsays it was a structure truly royal: and it was furnished in a peculiar manner.

“Near this palace, says he, are seen an immense number of swans, who wander up and down the river for some miles, in great security; no body daring to molest, much less to kill any of them,under the penalty of a considerable fine.In the palace is a library, well stored with Greek, Latin, Italian and French books; and among the rest, a small one in French, upon parchment, in the hand writing of the present Queen Elizabeth thus inscribed:A tres haut & tres puissant & redoubtè Prince HenryVIII.de ce nom, Roy d’Angleterre, de France, & d’Irelande, defenseur de la foy:Elisabeth sa tres humble fille rend salut & obedience.In English thus:To the most high, puissant, and redoubted Prince, Henry VIII. of the name, King of England, France and Ireland, defender of the faith:Elizabeth, his most humble daughter, health and obedience.All these books are bound in velvet of different colours, though chiefly red, with clasps of gold and silver; some have pearls, and precious stones, set in their bindings.II. Two little silver cabinets of exquisite work, in which the Queen keeps her paper, and which she uses for writing boxes.III. The Queen’s bed; ingeniously composed of woods of different colours, with quilts of silk, velvet, gold, silver, and embroidery.IV. A little chest ornamented all over with pearls, in which the Queen keeps her bracelets, ear-rings, and other things of extraordinary value.V. Christ’s passion in painted glass.VI. Portraits: among which are Queen Elizabeth at sixteen years of age. Henry, Richard, Edward, Kings of England; Rosamond, Lucrece, a Grecian bride, in her nuptial habit; the genealogy of the Kings of England; a picture of King Edward VI. representing at first sight something quite deformed, till by looking through a small hole in the cover, which is put over it, you see it in its true proportions; the Emperor Charles V. Charles Emanuel Duke of Savoy, and Catharine of Spain, his wife; Ferdinand Duke of Florence, with his daughters; one of Philip King of Spain, when he came into England, and married Mary; Henry VII. Henry VIII. and his mother;besides many more of illustrious men and women; and a picture of the siege of Malta.VII. A small hermitage, half hid in a rock, finely carved in wood.VIII. Variety of emblems, on paper, cut in the shape of shields, with mottoes used by the nobility at tilts and tournaments, hung up here for a memorial.IX. Different instruments of music, upon one of which two persons may perform at the same time.X. A piece of clock-work, an Æthiop riding upon a rhinoceros, with four attendants, who all make their obeisance, when it strikes the hour; these are all put into motion by winding up the machine.”In short, at the entrance into the park, from Whitehall, was this romantic inscription, which the honourable Horatio Walpole supposes might allude to Philip II. who wooed the Queen after her sister’s death, and to the destruction of his armada.

“Near this palace, says he, are seen an immense number of swans, who wander up and down the river for some miles, in great security; no body daring to molest, much less to kill any of them,under the penalty of a considerable fine.

In the palace is a library, well stored with Greek, Latin, Italian and French books; and among the rest, a small one in French, upon parchment, in the hand writing of the present Queen Elizabeth thus inscribed:

A tres haut & tres puissant & redoubtè Prince HenryVIII.de ce nom, Roy d’Angleterre, de France, & d’Irelande, defenseur de la foy:

Elisabeth sa tres humble fille rend salut & obedience.

In English thus:

To the most high, puissant, and redoubted Prince, Henry VIII. of the name, King of England, France and Ireland, defender of the faith:

Elizabeth, his most humble daughter, health and obedience.

All these books are bound in velvet of different colours, though chiefly red, with clasps of gold and silver; some have pearls, and precious stones, set in their bindings.

II. Two little silver cabinets of exquisite work, in which the Queen keeps her paper, and which she uses for writing boxes.

III. The Queen’s bed; ingeniously composed of woods of different colours, with quilts of silk, velvet, gold, silver, and embroidery.

IV. A little chest ornamented all over with pearls, in which the Queen keeps her bracelets, ear-rings, and other things of extraordinary value.

V. Christ’s passion in painted glass.

VI. Portraits: among which are Queen Elizabeth at sixteen years of age. Henry, Richard, Edward, Kings of England; Rosamond, Lucrece, a Grecian bride, in her nuptial habit; the genealogy of the Kings of England; a picture of King Edward VI. representing at first sight something quite deformed, till by looking through a small hole in the cover, which is put over it, you see it in its true proportions; the Emperor Charles V. Charles Emanuel Duke of Savoy, and Catharine of Spain, his wife; Ferdinand Duke of Florence, with his daughters; one of Philip King of Spain, when he came into England, and married Mary; Henry VII. Henry VIII. and his mother;besides many more of illustrious men and women; and a picture of the siege of Malta.

VII. A small hermitage, half hid in a rock, finely carved in wood.

VIII. Variety of emblems, on paper, cut in the shape of shields, with mottoes used by the nobility at tilts and tournaments, hung up here for a memorial.

IX. Different instruments of music, upon one of which two persons may perform at the same time.

X. A piece of clock-work, an Æthiop riding upon a rhinoceros, with four attendants, who all make their obeisance, when it strikes the hour; these are all put into motion by winding up the machine.”

In short, at the entrance into the park, from Whitehall, was this romantic inscription, which the honourable Horatio Walpole supposes might allude to Philip II. who wooed the Queen after her sister’s death, and to the destruction of his armada.

Ictus piscator tandem sapit,Sed infelix Actæon semper præceps.Casta virgo facilè miseretur;Sed potens Dea scelus ulciscitur.Præda canibus, exemplum juvenibus,Suis dedecus, pereat Actæon.Cura cœlitibus, chara mortatibus, suis securitas,Vivat Diana.

Thus englished:

The fisherman who has been wounded, learns, though late, to beware;But the unfortunate Actæon always presses on.The chaste virgin naturally pitied;But the powerful goddess revenged the wrong.Let Actæon fall a prey to his dogs,An example to youth,A disgrace to those that belong to him!May Diana live the care of heaven;The delight of mortals;The security of those that belong to her!

Hentzner’s journey into England.

But to proceed, in the reign of King James I. the old banquetting house, which was then used for public entertainments, being much decayed, that Prince formed the design of pulling down the whole palace of Whitehall, and erecting in its room an edifice worthy the Kings of England: a most noble plan was actually drawn for that purpose, by the celebrated Inigo Jones, and this plan being finished, the old banquetting house was demolished, and the present elegant structure erected in its room. This was to have been but a small part of the intended work; but it was all that was performed; and the old palace continued still the residence of our Kings, till it was destroyed by fire in 1697: and has never yet been rebuilt. See the articleBanquetting House.

S. Wale delin.E. Booker sc.A Gate belonging to the Old palace of White Hall.

S. Wale delin.E. Booker sc.A Gate belonging to the Old palace of White Hall.

As this was esteemed the principal palace, and that of St. James’s only an additional, though there have been long no remains of it left, and there are several houses of the nobility and other buildings scattered about the place where it stood, it is still considered in the same light; the great offices are kept in some of these detached edifices, and all public business is still dated from Whitehall.

Whitehallgate. The gate here represented and the house adjoining have since the engraving this print been pulled down to render the street more spacious and convenient. It belonged, as was observed in the preceding article, to the old palace of Whitehall, and was built by Henry VIII. from a design of Hans Holbein the celebrated painter. Here were on each side four bustos in front with ornamented mouldings round them of baked clay in proper colours, and glazed in the manner of delf ware, which has preserved them intire to this time, whereas the festoons of stone in the banquetting house, which was built much later, are so corroded as to be scarce intelligible.

Whitehallstairs, Whitehall.

White Hartalley, Leadenhall street.*

White Hartbuildings, the corner of Drury lane.*

White Hartcourt, 1. Barnaby street*: 2. Bishopsgate street without.* 3. Broad street.* 4. Castle street, Leicester Fields.* 5. Cat alley, Long lane, Smithfield.* 6. Leadenhall street.* 7. Old street.* 8. Whitechapel.*

White Hartinn yard, in the Borough.*

White Hartlane, Broadway, Westminster.*

White Hartrow, 1. Baker’s row.* 2. Bell lane.* 3. Hackney road.*

White Hartstairs, Lambeth.*

White Hartstreet, 1. Kent street, Southwark.* 2. Warwick lane, Newgate street.*

White Hartyard, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. Broad way, Westminster.* 3. Charterhouse lane, by Hicks’s hall.* 4. Drury lane.* 5. Fore street.* 6. Gracechurch street.* 7. Islington.* 8. Long Acre.* 9. Lower East Smithfield.* 10. Newington Butts.* 11. Whitecross street.*

White Hindcourt, 1. Bishopsgate street, without.* 2. Coleman street.*

White Hindyard, Hoxton.*

White Horncourt, near new Gravel lane.*

White Horsealley, 1. Arundel street in the Strand.* 2. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 3. Chick lane, Smithfield.* 4. Cowcross, near Smithfield.* 5. Fenchurch street.* 6. Fleet market.* 7. Great Eastcheap.* 8. near Guy ofWarwick court, Upper ground, Southwark.* 9. St. John’s street, Smithfield.* 10. Kent street, Southwark.* 11. Turnmill street.*

White Horsecourt, 1. Addle Hill.* 2. Barnaby street.* 3. Borough.* 4. Fore street.* 5. Kent street. 6. King street, Westminster.* 7. Rosemary lane.* 8. Whitecross street.*

White Horseinn meal market, near Holbourn.*

White Horseinn yard, St. Margaret’s hill, Southwark.*

White Horselane, 1. Mile-End Old Town.* 2. White horse street, Ratcliff.*

White Horsepassage, Great Swallow street.*

White Horsestreet, 1. Hide Park road.* 2. Queen street.* 3. Ratcliff.*

White Horseyard, 1. Aldersgate.* 2. Blackman street, Southwark.* 3. Berry street.* 4. Chiswell street.* 5. Coleman street.* 6. Drury lane.* 7. Duke’s street, Lincoln’s Inn fields.* 8. East Smithfield.* 9. Fan’s alley, Goswell street.* 10. Fetter lane, Fleet street.* 11. Islington road, St. John’s street.* 12. Kent street, Southwark.* 13. King street, Oxford street.* 14. London wall.* 15. Love lane.* 16. Lower East Smithfield.* 17. Pear Tree street, Brick lane, Old street.* 18. Piccadilly.* 19. Pickax street.* 20. Ratcliff Highway.* 21. Rosemary lane, LittleTower Hill.* 22. Seething lane, Tower street.* 23. Upper Ground street, Southwark.*

Whitehouse’scourt, St. Thomas’s street, Southwark.†

White Lionalley, Birching lane, Cornhill.*

White Lioncourt, 1. Addle hill, Thames street.* 2. Barbican, Aldersgate street.* 3. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 4. Birching lane.* 5. Blossom’s street, Norton Falgate.* 6. Broad street by the east end of Throgmorton street.* 7. Carpenter’s yard, London wall.* 8. Charterhouse lane, near Smithfield.* 9. Corn hill.* 10. Fleet street.* 11. New street: 12. Newtoners lane: 13. Petticoat lane, Whitechapel.* 14. in the Savoy.* 15. Throgmorton street, Lothbury.* 16. Tower street.*

White Lionstreet, 1. Norton Falgate, by Shoreditch.* 2. St. George’s Fields.* 3. Rag Fair.*

White Lionwharf, Thames street.*

White Lionyard, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. Narrow street, Limehouse.* 3. Norton Falgate.* 4. Upper Shadwell.*

White Rosealley, Whitecross street, Cripplegate.*

White Rosecourt, Coleman street.*

Whiterow, Bell lane, Spitalfields.

Whiteningground, near Maiden lane: 2. Morgan’s lane, Southwark.

White Swancoach yard, Blackman street.*

White Swancourt, Newgate street.*

White Swanstairs, near Thames street.*

White Swanyard, Shoreditch.*

White’salley, 1. Bond’s stables, by Fetter lane.† 2. St. Catharine’s court, St. Catharine’s.† 3. Chancery lane.† 4. Between Swan alley, and Great Bell alley, Coleman street.† 5. Holbourn.† 6. Little Moor fields.† 7. Long ditch, Westminster.† 8. Middle Moor fields.†

White’scourt, Vine yard, St. Olave’s street.†

White’sground, Crucifix lane, Barnaby street, Southwark.†

White’srents, Fore street, Limehouse.†

White’srow, Baker’s row.†

White’sstreet, 1. Blackman street.† 2. Houndsditch.† 3. Rotherhith.† 4. Horselydown.† 5. Pelham street, Spitalfields.†

White’syard, 1. East Smithfield.† 2. Green walk, Southwark.† 3. Lamb alley.† 4. Rosemary lane.† 5. Whitecross street.†

Whiting’salley, 1. Morgan’s lane.† 2. near Tooley street, Southwark.†

Whittal’srents, Long lane.†

Whittington’s Almshouse, Sir Richard Whittington several times Mayor of thiscity, about the year 1413, founded a college on the north side of the church of St. Michael Pater Noster, for a master, four fellows, clerks, choristers,&c.together with an almshouse for thirteen poor men; one of whom to be tutor, with a salary of 1s.4d.per week, and the twelve others 1s.2d.each, with necessary provisions. The college was dissolved by act of parliament in the reign of Edward VI. but the almshouse situated upon College hill still remains under the direction of the mercers company; who, besides a handsome room for the use of each of the pensioners, allow them 3s.10d.per week, and the men every third year coats and breeches, and the women, who are now also admitted, have gowns and petticoats.Stow’s Survey.

Whore’s Nest, Harrow corner.||

Wickham’scourt, Great Wild street.†

Widegatealley, Bishopsgate street without.

Wigan’scourt, Church lane, Limehouse.†

Wigan’skey, Thames street.†

Wightman’salley, St. John’s street, Smithfield.†

Wigmorerow, Marybone fields.

Wigmorestreet, Wellbeck street, near Marybone fields.

Wilday’swharf, Cock hill, Ratcliff.†

Wildcourt, Great Wild street.†

Wildernesslane, Salisbury court, Fleet street.

Wildernessrow, Chelsea.

Wild-goosealley, Thames street.*

Wild’spassage, Drury lane.†

Wild’srents. Long lane Southwark.†

Williams’scourt, New Gravel lane.†

Dr.Williams’s Library, in Redcross street, Cripplegate, for the use of the dissenting ministers, of the presbyterian, independant and baptist persuasions, was founded by Daniel Williams, D. D. a presbyterian divine, who in 1711, among other considerable legacies, bequeathed his valuable collection of books and manuscripts for the above purpose, with a handsome salary for a librarian and a housekeeper, in pursuance of his will a neat building was erected in Redcross street, with a genteel apartment for the librarian,&c.and a spacious room capable of containing 40,000 volumes. The original library has been augmented by many thousand volumes presented to it.

This library is under the direction of twenty-three trustees, fourteen of whom are ministers, and nine of them lay gentlemen; but all of the presbyterian denomination: with a secretary and a steward.

In this library is a register, wherein parents may enter the birth of their children. This is of the greater use to thedissenters, as few or none of the dissenting meeting houses have any register of christenings, and as a great body of them do not allow of the baptising of infants. Here also are some curiosities, as an Egyptian mummy, and a glass bason, which held the water wherewith Queen Elizabeth was baptized. This last is kept in a bag, whereon is fixed a paper that shews how this bason came into the possession of the managers of the library.

Williams’srents, Millbank, Westminster Horseferry.†

Willifrid’srents, Shad Thames, Horselydown.†

Willowstreet, Bank-side, Southwark.‡

Willow-treealley, 1. Nightingale lane.‡ 2. Wapping dock.‡

Willow-treecourt, 1. Charter House lane.‡ 2. Lower Shadwell.‡

Willow-treeyard, Maudlin’s rents.‡

Wilson’salley, Fore street, Lambeth.†

Wilson’scourt, Rosemary lane, Little Tower Hill.†

Wiltshirelane, East Smithfield.

Wimbleton, a village in Surrey, three miles south of Putney church, where Ethelbert King of Kent was defeated in a battle by Ceaulin the West Saxon, in the year 568. Wimbleton house stands about half a mile south from the roadon Wimbleton common; it was built by Sir Thomas Cecil, son of the Lord Treasurer Burleigh, in the year 1588, and was afterwards General Lambert’s, who had here the finest flower garden in England. The manor of Wimbleton was purchased by Sarah Churchill, Duchess Dowager of Marlborough, who left it to the late John Spencer, Esq; brother to the late Duke of Marlborough, together with a fine seat she built here, which is adorned with a grand terrace walk, that extends from the house to the seat of Sir Abraham Janssen, Bart. and has a fine prospect to the south. Wimbleton common or heath which is supposed to be as high as Hampstead heath, is about a mile each way, and is adorned on the sides with several handsome seats.

Wimplemews, Wimple street.

Wimplestreet, Henrietta street.

Winchestercourt, Monkwell street, near Cripplegate.

Winchesterstreet, 1. by Broad street, so called from the Mansion house of the Earls of Winchester there, built by Sir William Pawlet Knt. created Earl of Wilts, and Marquis of Winchester, Lord High Treasurer of England in the reign of Edward VI.Maitland.2. St. Mary Overies, from the palace of the Bishops of Winchester.

In its neighbourhood were the licensed stews under the jurisdiction of the Bishop, whence the common prostitutes were called Winchester geese.Maitland.The name of stews was given to lewd houses from the fishponds near this place.

Winchesteryard, Winchester street, St. Mary Overies.

Winclecourt, Pallmall.

Windelow’scourt, Black Friars.†

Windmillalley, 1. St. Margaret’s hill.* 2. Whitechapel.☐

Windmillbank, Isle of Dogs, so called from windmills there.

Windmillcourt, 1. Coleman street.* 2. Pie corner, near Smithfield.* 3. Snow hill.*

Windmillhill, 1. Hatton wall: 2. Leather lane, Holbourn: 3. near Upper Moorfields. This last hill was raised by above a thousand cart loads of human bones, brought from St. Paul’s Charnel house and laid there in the year 1549, which being soon after covered with street dirt from the city, the place was converted into a lay stall, whereby the ground was so raised, that three windmills were erected upon it, whence it obtained its present name.Maitland.

Windmill Hillrow, Upper Moorfields.☐

Windmilllane, Whitechapel.☐

Windmillstreet, 1. Haymarket*: 2. Tottenham Court road.

Windmillyard, Coleman street.*

Windsor, so called from its winding shore, is a pleasant, and well inhabited borough, twenty-three miles from London, agreeably situated on the south bank of the Thames, in the midst of delightful vallies. Its church is a spacious ancient building situated in the High street of the town, in which is also the town house, a neat regular edifice built in 1686, and supported with columns and arches of Portland stone; at the north end is placed in a niche the statue of Queen Anne, in her royal robes, with the globe and otherregalia; and underneath, in the freeze of the entablature of the lesser columns and arches, is the following inscription in gold letters:

Anno Regni VIº.Dom. 1707.Arte tua, sculptor, non est imitabilisAnna;Annævis similem sculpere? sculpe DeamS. Chapman,Prætore.

Anno Regni VIº.Dom. 1707.Arte tua, sculptor, non est imitabilisAnna;Annævis similem sculpere? sculpe DeamS. Chapman,Prætore.

And in another niche on the south side is the statue of Prince George of Denmark, her Majesty’s royal consort, in a Roman military habit, and underneath is the following inscription:

Serenissimo PrincipiGeorgiaPrincipiDaniæ,Heroi omni sæculo venerando,Christophorus Wren,Arm.Posuit. MDCCXIII.

In the area, underneath the town hall the market is kept every Saturday and is plentifully supplied with corn, meat, fish, and all other provisions.

Besides the castle, the chief ornament of the place; many gentlemen of fortune and family constantly reside in the town and its neighbourhood. The Duke of St. Albans has a handsome large house on the east part of the town, with pleasant gardens that extend to the park: and at the south side of the town is Sir Edward Walpole’s house, a neat regular edifice with large gardens beautifully laid out and designed; where Marshal Bellisle resided for some time while a prisoner in England, during the last war.

Windsor Castle, the most delightful palace of our Sovereigns, was first built by William the Conqueror soon after his being established on the throne of this kingdom, on account of its pleasant and healthful situation, and as a place of security; it was greatly improved by Henry I. who added many additional buildings, and surrounded the whole with a strong wall. Our succeeding Monarchs resided in the same castle, till King Edward III. caused the ancient building to be taken down; erected the present stately castle, and St. George’s chapel; inclosed the whole with a strong wall or rampart of stone, and instituted the most noble order of the garter.


Back to IndexNext