V.

The Treasury & Horse Guards.

The Treasury & Horse Guards.

Treasury, a stone building fronting the parade in St. James’s Park. The whole front is rustic; it consists of three stories, of which the lowermost is of the basement kind, with small windows, though they are contained in large arches; this story has the Tuscan proportion, and the second the Doric, with arched windows of a good size; but what is very singular, the upper part of this story is adorned with the triglyphs and metopes of the Doric freeze, though this range of ornament is supported by neither columns norpilasters. Over this story is a range of Ionic columns in the centre, supporting a pediment. Upon the whole the Treasury must be allowed to be a building composed of very beautiful parts, but it were to be wished they were fewer and larger, as there is a sufficient distance to view it.

This edifice, has on the inside a court surrounded with buildings, and here is not only the Treasury, but the office of trade and plantations.

The Treasury is under the government of five Lords Commissioners, one of whom is called first Lord of the Treasury, and has a salary of 4000l.per annum, and the rest have 1600l.a year each. Under these are two joint Secretaries, four chief clerks, and sixteen other clerks: two clerks of the revenue who have 100l.a year each, two sollicitors who have 500l.a year each, and an assistant, an office keeper who has 300l.a year, and finds coals and candles for the office, four messengers of the Exchequer, a messenger of the chamber, and other servants. See the articleExchequer.

Trinitycourt, 1. Aldersgate street.☐ 2. Little Minories.☐ 3. Little Trinity lane, Bow lane.☐

Trinity Hall, in Aldersgate street, near the corner of Little Britain. Here formerlystood a priory belonging to the abbey of Cluny in France, which being suppressed by King Henry V. his Majesty granted its revenues to the parishioners of St. Botolph, on condition of their founding in that church a fraternity dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Part of the building is still existing and let out to a coffee-house; but the upper part, saysMaitland, retains somewhat of the appearance of its original use, it serving for a place of worship to a congregation of Nonjurors. Here also the parishioners meet in vestry on particular occasions.

Trinity Hospital, at Mile-end, is a very noble, and yet unexpensive edifice, rendered beautiful by its situation, and the agreeable manner in which it is laid out. It consists of two wings and a center, wherein is the chapel, which rises considerably higher than the other buildings, and has an ascent to it by a handsome flight of steps secured by iron rails; this chapel has large windows, and is adorned with a pediment; behind it rises a turret, ornamented with a clock, and crowned with a fane. On each side of the chapel, are two sets of apartments exactly resembling the wings.

The wings are low but neat buildings, with an ascent of seven steps to each pairof doors, secured by brick walls capped with stone, and there are six of these ascents to each wing, besides two in the front, one on each side the chapel. Between each of these ascents is a pump fixed close to the wall.

It is remarkable that all these ascents lead to the upper story; there are however rooms below, but these are under ground and the windows upon a level with a broad stone pavement, that surrounds the area next the houses. In the centre of each wing is a handsome pediment, adorned with the company’s arms, with the representation of ropes, anchors, and sea weeds, in open work, spread over the face of the pediments, and the area within consists of handsome grass-plats, divided by gravel-walks, kept in excellent order, leading down the middle, and across to the centre of the area, where is a statue in stone of Mr. Robert Sandes well executed. He has a bale of goods placed behind; he stands with his right-foot upon another bale, and near his left-foot is a small globe, and anchor. On the pedestal is the following inscription:

To the memory ofCaptain Robert Sandes, an elder brother, and deputy-master of the corporation of Trinity House,who dy’d in 1701, and bequeath’d to the poor thereof one hundred pounds, also the reversion (after two lives) of a freehold estate in the county of Lincoln of 147l.a year, now in their possession. This statue was erected by the corporation A.D. 1746.

To the memory ofCaptain Robert Sandes, an elder brother, and deputy-master of the corporation of Trinity House,who dy’d in 1701, and bequeath’d to the poor thereof one hundred pounds, also the reversion (after two lives) of a freehold estate in the county of Lincoln of 147l.a year, now in their possession. This statue was erected by the corporation A.D. 1746.

The end of each wing next the road has an empty niche, and over it is a very small pediment, on each side which is placed a small ship.

The ground on which this hospital stands was given to the corporation of the Trinity house by capt. Henry Mudd, an elder brother, and the above beautiful and commodious building erected by the company in the year 1695, for the reception of twenty-eight masters of ships, or their widows, each of whom receives 16s.per month, 20s.a year for coals, and a gown every second year.

Trinity House, a society founded in the year 1515, by Sir Thomas Spert, Knt. commander of the great ship Henry Grace de Dieu, and comptroller of the navy to Henry VIII. for the regulation of seamen, and the convenience of ships and mariners on our coast, and incorporated by the above mentioned Prince who confirmed to them not only the ancient rights andprivileges of the company of mariners of England; but their several possessions at Deptford; which together with the grants of Queen Elizabeth and King Charles II. were also confirmed by letters patent of the first of James II. in 1685, by the name ofThe master, wardens and assistants of the guild or fraternity of the most glorious and undivided Trinity, and of St. Clement in the parish of Deptford Strond in the county of Kent.

This corporation is governed by a master, four wardens, eight assistants, and eighteen elder brethren; but the inferior members of the fraternity, named younger brethren, are of an unlimited number, for every master, or mate, expert in navigation may be admitted as such; and these serve as a continual nursery to supply the vacancies among the elder brethren when removed by death, or otherwise.

The master, wardens, assistants, and elder brethren are by charter invested with the following powers:

1. That of examining the mathematical children of Christ’s hospital.

2. The examination of the masters of his Majesty’s ships; the appointing pilots to conduct ships in and out of the river Thames; and the amercing all such as shall presume to act as master of a ship of waror pilot, without their approbation, in a pecuniary mulct of 20s.

3. The settling the several rates of pilotage and erecting light-houses, and other sea marks upon the several coasts of the kingdom, for the security of navigation; to which light-houses all ships pay one half-penny a tun.

4. The granting licences to poor seamen, not free of the city, to row on the river Thames for their support, in the intervals of sea service, or when past going to sea.

5. The preventing of aliens from serving on board English ships, without their licence, upon the penalty of 5l.for each offence.

6. The punishing of seamen for desertion, or mutiny, in the merchants service.

7. The hearing and determining the complaints of officers and seamen in the merchants service; but subject to an appeal to the Lords of the Admiralty, or the Judge of the court of Admiralty.

To this company belongs the ballast office, for clearing and deepning the river Thames, by taking from thence a sufficient quantity of ballast, for the supply of all ships that sail out of that river; in which service sixty barges with two menin each, are constantly employed, and all ships that take in ballast pay them 1s.a ton, for which it is brought to the ships sides.

In consideration of the great increase of the poor of this fraternity, they are by their charter impowered to purchase in mortmain lands, tenements, &c. to the amount of 500l.per annum; and also to receive charitable benefactions of well disposed persons, to the like amount of 500l.per annum, clear of reprizes.

There are annually relieved by this company about 3000 poor seamen, their widows, and orphans, at the expence of about 6000l.

They commonly meet to chuse their master at their house at Deptford; but are not obliged to do it there. See the articleDeptford.

Their meetings are generally on Wednesdays and Saturdays, at their house in Water lane, Thames street; but their courts are not constantly fixed to a set time.

Their house in Water lane has been twice burnt down, once at the fire of London, and the last time in the year 1718. Among the curiosities preserved in the hall of this building is a flag taken from the Spaniards, by the brave SirFrancis Drake, whose picture is also there: a large and exact model of a ship entirely rigged, and two large globes; and in the parlour are five large drawings curiously performed by the pen, of several engagements at sea in the reign of King Charles II.Maitland.

Trinitylane, Garlick hill, Thames street.☐

TrinityMinories, a curasy situated in the Little Minories, in Portsoken-ward, where anciently stood an abbey of nuns of the order of St. Clare, called the Minoresses, founded by Edmund Earl of Lancaster, brother to King Edward I. in the year 1293, but being suppressed in the year 1539, a number of houses were erected in its room, and a small church was built for the inhabitants, and dedicated to the Trinity, whence it received its present appellation, the additional epithet of Minories being added from the above Monastery.

The present church is a small brick edifice with a low tower crowned with a turret.

The patronage has been all along in the crown: but the income of the curate is said to be so small as to amount to no more than 25l.per annum, besides surplice fees.

Trinitythe Less, a church formerly seated at the north-east corner of Little Trinity lane, where at present a German chapel, denominated the Swedish church, is situated; it received the epithet of Less, to distinguish it from the Trinity priory at Aldgate: but this church suffering the fate of the other public buildings, at the fire of London in 1666, and not being rebuilt, the parish was by act of parliament united to the church of St. Michael’s Queenhithe.

Trinity Priory, on the south side within Aldgate, was founded by Queen Matilda, daughter to Malcolm King of Scotland, wife to Henry I. in the year 1108, in the place where Siredus had begun to erect a church in honour of the holy cross and St. Mary Magdalen: she endowed it with the port of Aldgate, the customs belonging to it, and the sum of 25l.

This priory was built on a piece of ground upwards of three hundred feet long, in the parish of St. Catharine, near a parochial chapel dedicated to St. Michael, which stood where are now the row of houses by the pump, fronting the gate; and soon obtained the name of Christ church; in a short time it grew rich in lands and ornaments, and surpassed all the priories in the city of Londonand county of Middlesex, for its church, got into its possession the parishes belonging to the neighbouring churches of St. Mary Magdalen, St. Michael, and St. Catharine, and the prior was frequently an Alderman. This priory was dissolved by King Henry VIII. in the year 1531, and of nine well-tuned bells that belonged to the conventual church, the four largest are now in the steeple of Stepney church, and the other five at St. Stephen’s Coleman street.Maitland.

Trinitystairs, Broad street, Ratcliff.☐

Trinitystreet, Rotherhith.☐

Trinityyard, Broad street, Ratcliff.☐

Tripp’salley, Whitechapel.☐

Trotteralley, Barnaby street, Southwark.

Trotterbonealley. Duke street.

Trumball’syard, Queen street, Windmill street.†

Trumpalley, Cheapside.

Trumpstreet, King street.

Trumpetyard, Whitechapel.*

Tryancecourt, Red lion street, Spitalfields.

Trypeyard, 1. Catharine Wheel alley: 2. Dunning’s alley, Bishopsgate street without: 3. Petticoat lane.

Tudorstreet, Bridewell Precinct.

Tuftonstreet, Lumley street, Westminster.

Tuke’scourt, Chancery lane.†

Tun, in Cornhill, a prison built with stone by Henry Wallis, Mayor of London in the year 1282, as a prison for night-walkers, and other suspicious persons, and called the Tun from its resembling a tun standing upon one end. This prison being, in 1401, made a cistern for water conveyed by leaden pipes from Tyburn; was thence called the conduit. It had at the same time a strong prison made of timber placed upon it, which was called the cage; this prison had a pair of stocks, and was for the punishment of night-walkers. On the top of the cage was placed a pillory for the punishment of bakers offending in the assize of bread; for millers stealing of corn at the mill; for bawds, scolds, and persons guilty of perjury; the last mentioned persons were usually brought on horseback from Newgate with paper mitres on their heads, and with their faces to the horses tails, and having stood in this pillory, were in the same manner conducted back to Newgate.

Tunalley, Love lane, Wood street.*

Turk’s Headcourt, Golden lane, Barbican.*

Turk’s Headyard, Turnmill street, Cowcross.*

Turks Row, Chelsea.

TurkyorLevant Company, a body of merchants incorporated by Queen Elizabeth in the year 1579, when that Princess granted them many great privileges, which have been confirmed by several succeeding Princes.

The trade of this company originally extended no farther than to Venice; but discovering there oriental gems, and other valuable commodities brought from the east, they extended their trade to Turky; and tho’ the English East Company, which was afterwards incorporated, deprived them of the trade of jewels and spices, they have almost ever since carried on a trade to the Levant with success, though it is now upon the decline.Maitland.

In the Turky trade there was always a balance against us; and yet it was esteemed of no disservice to the nation, as that company imported raw silk, cotton, and several other articles that were purchased with our cloth and other woollen goods; but the French have supplanted us by making a slight sort of cloth, that appears as fine as ours, and being made thinner and lighter, is not only fitter for warm climates; but can be afforded cheaper.

In the year 1754, an act was passed, by which it was ordered that every subjectof Great Britain, who desired admission into the Turky company, should be admitted within thirty days after such request, and enjoy all the privileges of the company, on their paying 20l.for such admission.

The affairs of this company are managed by a Governor, deputy governor and a court of assistants, consisting of eighteen members, annually chosen in the month of February; who hold a court monthly, or as occasion requires, for the management of the company’s affairs; as appointing Consuls, Vice-consuls, factors,&c.to the places where their factories are kept; as at Smyrna, Aleppo, Constantinople, Cyprus,&c.who are answerable to the company for what they do or act under them.

Turn-aboutalley, Windmill Hill row.

Turn-againlane, 1. Snow Hill: 2. Thomas street.

Turnbullstreet, Cowcross, this street was anciently denominatedTurnmill Street, from the mills erected in it, turned by a stream of water from Hampstead and Highgate; which being at present seemingly dried up, some writers have represented it as lost; but that stream is brought to the suburbs of London intwo large wooden pipes, each of a seven inch bore.Maitland.

Turnbullyard, White’s alley, Longditch.

Turners, a society incorporated by letters patent granted by King James I. in the year 1604; by the name ofThe master, wardens and commonalty of the art or mystery de lez Turners of London.

This company is governed by a master, two wardens, and twenty-four assistants; with a livery of 144 members, who, upon their admission, pay a fine of 8l.They have a convenient hall on College hill, Thames street.

Turner’salley, Little Eastcheap.†

Turner’scourt, St. Martin’s lane.†

Turner’sstreet, Derby street.†

Turnmillstreet, the ancient name of the street now corruptly called Turnbull street. SeeTurnbullstreet.

Turnpikepassage, King street.

Turn-stile, 1. Drury lane: 2. Holbourn.

Turnwheellane, Cannon street, by Wallbrook.

Turretyard, Little sanctuary, Westminster.

Turnvillestreet, Shoreditch Fields.

Tuttlecourt, Barnaby street, Southwark.

Tweedstreet, Berwick street, Old Soho.

Tweezer’salley, Milford lane, in the Strand.

Twelve Bellcourt, Bow church-yard, Cheapside.*

Twickenham, a pleasant village in Middlesex situated on the Thames between Teddington and Isleworth, and between two brooks that here fall into that river. The church, which is a modern edifice, rebuilt by the contribution of the inhabitants, is a fine Doric structure. Here is a charity school for fifty boys, who are cloathed and taught: And this delightful village is adorned with the seats of several persons of distinction, particularly on the bank of the river. To begin at the upper end; there is an elegant Gothic seat called Strawberry Hill, belonging to the Honorable Mr. Walpole; then a beautiful house, late the Earl of Radnor’s, now in the possession of Mr. Hindley. The next of considerable note is Sir William Stanhope’s, formerly the residence of our most celebrated poet Mr. Alexander Pope; then Mrs. Backwell’s; and the last on this beautiful bank is doctor Battie’s, at present in the possession of Mr. Paulet. All these houses, besides several others on this delightful bank, enjoy a most pleasing prospect both up and down the river, perpetually enlivened with the west country navigation,and other moving pictures on the surface of this enchanting river. Then below the church, you have the fine seat of Mr. Whitchurch, that of the Earl of Strafford, Mrs. Pitt, and at the entrance into the meadows, the elegant structure called Marble Hall, belonging to the Countess of Suffolk. Still further down the stream you have the small but very pretty house of Mr. Barlow; the larger and more grand one of Mr. Cambridge; and the sweet retirement called Twickenham Park, the residence of the Countess of Montrath. This brings you down to Isleworth, which from the entrance into the meadows at Lady Suffolk’s, is about a mile and a half on the bank of the river, opposite to Ham-walks and Richmond-hill, and is one of the most beautiful walks in England.

Twig’srents, Blue Anchor alley.†

Twistersalley, Whitecross street.

Two Brewer’syard, in the Curtain, Hog lane.*

Two Legalley, Old Bethlem.*

Two Swanyard, Bishopsgate street.*

Twyford’salley, Petty France, Westminster.†

Tyburn, anciently a village situated on the eastern bank of the rivulet Tyburn,from whence it took its name, and at the east end of the Lord Mayor’s banquetting house bridge, in the neighbourhood of which the city has nine conduits, that were first erected about the year 1238, for supplying the city with water; but it having for many years been better supplied from the New River, the citizens in the year 1703, let the water of those conduits on a lease of forty-three years, for the sum of 700l.per annum.

At the north-east corner of Tyburn Bridge stood the Lord Mayor’s banqueting house, to which it was usual for his Lordship to repair with the Aldermen, accompanied by their ladies in waggons, to view the city conduits, after which they had an entertainment at the banqueting house. This edifice under which were two cisterns, for the reception of the water from the neighbouring conduits, having been for many years, neglected, was taken down in the year 1737, and Tyburn is now only known by the gallows, erected where that village stood, and at present alone bears the name of Tyburn.Maitland.

Tyburnlane, Hyde Park road.

Tyburnroad, Oxford street.

Tygercourt, Whitecross street, Cripplegate.*

Tyer’sgate, Barnaby street, Southwark.†

Tyler’sstreet, King’s street, Golden Square.†

Tyson’sstreet, Shoreditch Fields.†

Valiant Soldieralley, Barnaby street.*

Vauxhall, a hamlet in the parish of Lambeth, particularly famous for the pleasantness of the gardens, that have been many years converted into a place of genteel entertainment, during the spring and summer seasons. They were the first of the kind perhaps in the world: in the midst of the garden is a superb orchestre containing a fine organ and a band of music with some of the best voices, and the seats or boxes are disposed to the best advantage with respect to hearing the music. In most of the boxes are pictures painted from the designs of Mr. Hayman, on subjects admirably adapted to the place. But there are in the grand pavilion four pictures of his own hand from the historical plays of Shakespear that are universally admired for thedesign, colouring and expression. The trees are scattered here with a pleasing confusion. At some distance are several noble vistas of very tall trees, where the spaces between each are filled up with neat hedges, and on the inside are planted flowers and sweet smelling shrubs. Some of these vistas terminate in a view of ruins, and others in a prospect of the adjacent country, and some are adorned with the painted representation of triumphal arches. There are here also several statues, and in particular a good one in marble by Mr. Roubiliac of the late Mr. Handell playing on a lyre in the character of Orpheus. As Ranelagh has its rotunda, so here also is a rotund and ball room, finely illuminated, in which is an orchestre with an organ, where if the evening proves rainy the company may be safely sheltered and entertained. When it grows dark the garden near the orchestre is illuminated, almost in an instant, with about 1500 glass lamps, which glitter among the trees, and render it exceeding light and brilliant: and soon after a very extraordinary piece of machinery has of late been exhibited, on the inside of one of the hedges near the entrance into the vistas: by removing a curtain is shewn a very fine landscape illuminated by concealed light; in whichthe principal objects that strike the eyes are the cascade or waterfall, and a miller’s house. The exact appearance of water is seen flowing down a declivity, and turning the wheel of the mill: it rises up in foam at the bottom, and then glides away. This moving picture, attended with the noise of the water, has a very pleasing and surprizing effect both on the eye and ear; but we cannot help observing, with respect to this piece, that however well it is executed, yet peoples being obliged to wait till the curtain is drawn; and after beholding it for a few minutes, having it again suddenly concealed from the view, when the exhibition is ended for that night, has too much the air of a raree show. If it could have been contrived to make its appearance gradually, with the rising of the moon in the same picture, which might seem to enlighten the prospect, and at length by degrees to become obscured by the passing of that luminary behind a cloud, the effect would perhaps have been much more agreeable. Every thing is provided in these gardens in the most elegant manner for the company who chuse to sup.

S. Wale delin.E. Rooker sc.View at the Entrance into Vaux Hall.

S. Wale delin.E. Rooker sc.View at the Entrance into Vaux Hall.

Vauxhallcourt, Little Chapel street.

Vauxhallstairs, Vauxhall.

Vauxhall Stairslane, leading from the above stairs toward the garden.

Vauxhallwalk, Bull street, Lambeth.

St.Vedast’s,situated on the east side of Foster lane, in the Ward of Farringdon within. A church has stood for many centuries in the place where this is situated; but not under the same tutelage: the first building was dedicated to St. Foster, and from that the lane in which it stands was called Foster lane: but afterwards the church being rebuilt, was put under the patronage of St. Vedast, Bishop of Arras, in France, who died in the year 550.

This church was so far destroyed by the fire of London in 1666, that nothing was left standing but the steeple and the walls; but these being repaired, continued till the year 1694, when they were taken down, and the present edifice was finished in 1697. It is built entirely of stone, and the body is sixty-nine feet in length, fifty-one broad, and thirty-six feet high. It is well enlightened by a range of windows placed so high that the doors open under them. The tower is plain, and the spire which is short rises from a double base.English architecture.

The author ofThe Critical Review of the public buildings, mentioning this steeple says, “It is not a glaring pile that strikes the eye at the first view with an idea of grandeur and magnificence; but then the beautiful pyramid it forms, and the just and well proportioned simplicity of all its parts, satisfy the mind so effectually, that nothing seems to be wanting, and nothing can be spared.”

The patronage of this church was anciently in the prior and convent of Canterbury, till coming to the archbishop of that see in the year 1352 it has been in him and his successors ever since, and is one of the thirteen peculiars in the city belonging to the archiepiscopal see. To this church the parish of St. Michael Quern is united, and the rector receives 160l.a year in lieu of tithes.Maitland.

Verestreet, 1. Beer street: 2. Brook’s street, Ratcliff: 3. Clare Market: 4. Oxford street. Thus named from the Lady of the late Earl of Oxford.

Victualling Office, on the upper part of Little Tower Hill near the end of King street; is separated from Tower Hill by a wall and gates, and contains some houses for the officers, with store rooms, slaughter houses, a brewhouse,for salting, barrelling, &c. of provisions.

This office is under the direction of seven commissioners, each of whom has his separate department, as in the Navy Office, and a salary of 400l.per annum, as the first commissioner and comptroller, the commissioner of the bakehouse, another of the cutting house, another of the brewhouse; another of the accounts; another of the cooperage; and another who is hoytaker.

Under these commissioners is a secretary who has 200l.per annum, and five clerks; a cash accomptant who has 120l.per annum, and four clerks, besides an extra-clerk; an accomptant for stores, who has 100l.per annum, and five clerks, besides an extra-clerk; the clerk of the bakehouse and master baker, who has 130l.a year, and two clerks, besides an extra-clerk, a clerk of the cutting house who has 110l.a year, a clerk and extra-clerk. Besides these there are a storekeeper of the brewhouse, who has 60l.a year; a master cooper; a muster master of the workmen; a master butcher; a surveyor of oxen and hogs; clerks to keep charge on pursers, a clerk for stating a purser’s accounts, a short allowance clerk, and a clerk tobring up accounts of stores in arrears, most of these have clerks under them: and there are also a few other officers and servants.

Vigolane, 1. Burlington Gardens: 2. Swallow street.

Villar’scourt, 1. Huggen lane: 2. St. James’s street.

Villar’sstreet, in the Strand, so called from its being built on the ground where the house of Villars Duke of Buckingham formerly stood. SeeYork Buildings.

Vincent’scourt, Silver street.†

Vinecourt, 1. Bishopsgate street without.* 2. Brook’s street.* 3. Chequer alley.* 4. Golden lane.* 5. Gravel lane.* 6. Harp alley, Shoe lane.* 7. Lamb street, Spitalfields.* 8. Moor lane.* 9. Narrow street, Limehouse.* 10. Onslow street, Vine street.* 11. Shoemaker row, Aldgate.* 12. Three Crane lane, Thames street.* 13. Vine street, in the Minories.* 14. Vine yard, Horsely down lane.* 15. Vineyard, St. Olave’s street.* 16. Whitechapel.*

Vinestreet, 1. Fore street, Limehouse.* 2. St. Giles’s.* 3. Hatton Wall.* 4. Lamb street.* 5. Maiden lane, Deadman’s place.* 6. Millbank.* 7. in the Minories.* 8. Narrow Wall, Lambeth.* 9. Chandois street.* 10. Warwick street.

Vineyard, 1. Old Horselydown lane.* 2. Pickax street, Aldersgatestreet.* 3. Ratcliff.* 4. Redcross street.* 5. Tooley street, Southwark.*

Vinegaryard, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark: 2. Blue Anchor, alley: 3. Bowl alley, St. Giles’s: 4. Dirty lane, Blackman street, Southwark: 5. Drury lane: 6. George street, in the Mint: 7. St. John’s lane, Smithfield: 8. Sun yard, Nightingale lane.

Vintneralley, Thames street.

Vintners, one of the twelve principal companies, were anciently denominatedMerchant wine tunners of Gascoyne, and were of two sorts, theVeneatrii, who imported the wine, and theTabernariiwho sold it by retail, either kept taverns or wine cellars. They were however incorporated by letters patent granted by King Henry VI. in the year 1437, by the name of the master, wardens, freemen and commonalty of the mystery of Vintners of the city of London; but without the power of making by-laws.

They are governed by a master, three wardens, twenty-eight assistants, with a livery of 194 members, who, upon their admission, pay a fine of 31l.13s.4d.They are possessed of a very considerable estate, out of which is paid to charitable uses about 600l.a year, and have a handsome hall in Thames street,where was formelry the house of Sir John Stody, who gave it the company: it was called in antient records the place of Stody, or the manor of the Vintry.

The buildings enclose a square court, and in the north front next the street is a large and handsome gate, with columns wreathed with grapes and supporting a Bacchus on three tons. Behind the hall is a garden through which is a passage to the Thames.

Vintners Almshouse, at Mile-end, was founded by the company of Vintners, for the use of twelve widows of deceased members, each of whom receives 3s.a week, and every year a chaldron of coals, and about 40s.given at certain times.Maitland.

Vintry Ward, takes its name from the Vintry, situated where the Vintners hall now stands, and where the antient vintners or wine merchants, who lived on the banks of the Thames, landed their wines, which they were obliged to sell in forty days, till Edward I. granted them longer time, and certain privileges. This ward is bounded on the north by Cordwainers wards; on the east, by Walbrook and Dowgate wards; on the south by the Thames, and on the west by Queenhithe ward. The principal streets are a partof Thames street, from Little Elbow lane in the east, to Townsend lane, in the west; a part of Queen street, Great St. Thomas Apostles, Garlick hill, Great and Little Elbow lane,&c.and the most remarkable buildings are the parish churches of St. Michael’s Royal, St. Martin’s Vintry, and St. James Garlickhithe; Vintners hall, Cutlers hall, Plumbers hall, and Fruiterers hall.

The government of this ward is by an alderman, and nine common councilmen, under whom are four scavengers, fourteen wardmote inquest men, and a beadle. The jurymen returned by the wardmote inquest for this ward are to serve in the several courts held in Guildhall in the month of April.Stow.Maitland.

Virginiacourt, 1. Artichoke lane: 2. Butcher Row, East Smithfield.

Virginia Plantershill, Upper Shadwell.

Virginiarow, 1. Greyhound lane, Limehouse: 2. Shoreditch.

Virginiastreet, Ratcliff Highway.

Underwood’s Almshouse, was at first erected at the west end of the rectory house of St. Botolph’s Bishopsgate, by one Mr. Underwood, for the accommodation of sixteen poor old women; but on the rebuilding of Petty France, when it changed its name to that of Broad street,&c.this almshouse, with that of Alleyn’s adjoining, were in the year 1730, forced to make way for the new passage leading into Bishopsgate street; and a new building was erected in Lamb Alley, in the same parish, for these poor women, each of whom is allowed 2s.6d.per month.

Unicornalley, 1. Blackman street, Southwark.* 2. Fore street, Cripplegate.* 3. Holiwell street.* 4. Kent street, Southwark.* 5. in the Minories.* 6. Wheeler street.*

Unicorncourt, 1. in the Haymarket.* 2. Kent street.* 3. Redcross street.*

Unicornyard, 1. Blackman street Southwark.* 2. Butcher Row, East Smithfield.* 3. St. Olave’s street, Southwark.* 4. Old street, Horselydown.* 5. Tooly street, Southwark.*

Unionbridge, Old Horselydown, Southwark.

Unioncourt, 1. a well built court in Broad street, London Wall, extending into Wormwood street: 2. Scroop’s court, Holbourn: 3. Throgmorton street, Lothbury.

Union Fire Office, is a very handsome building, erected for that purpose in Maiden lane, near Cheapside, where goods and merchandize, but not houses, areinsured from loss by fire, by a mutual contribution.

This office, like that of the Hand-in-Hand Fire Office, was erected by a considerable number of persons, who mutually agreeing to insure one another’s goods and merchandize from loss by fire by an amicable contribution, entered into a deed of settlement for that purpose, on the 16th of February, 1714–15, and had it inrolled in chancery on the 3d of July following, and this deed being signed by all persons desirous of becoming members, they are thereby admitted to an equal share in the profit and loss, in proportion to their respective policies.

This office insures for all merchants, traders, housekeepers, and others in the cities of London and Westminster and within ten miles round, merchandize, goods, wares, utensils in trade, houshold furniture, and wearing apparel; except plate, pictures, glass and china ware not in trade; except also ready money, jewels, books of account, tallies, writings, barns, ricks and stacks of corn, hay, straw and horses. The term of insurance to be seven years, or less if desired.

The terms and methods of insurance are as follows

I. For the policy and mark are paid 8s.6d.over and above all other expences.

II. Every person designing to insure, shall before surveying the goods, pay 10s.earnest money, to go towards the charge of insuring, if agreed to, and the policy be taken up within three months after, otherwise the said 10s.is sunk to the society: but if the directors do not agree to such insurance, the earnest money to be returned. Also old policies directed to be renewed, and not taken away within three months are also to be cancelled, and the charge of the policies and stamps of such renewals deducted out of the deposit-money of such insurers.

III. For every 100l.insured on goods inclosed within brick or stone, 2s.premium, and 10s.deposit; and on goods not so inclosed, 3s.premium, and 15s.deposit. And so in proportion within part brick part timber.

IV. For insurances deemed hazardous, as to situation, or kind of goods, each 100l.inclosed in brick or stone, 4s.premium, and 1l.deposit; in timber, 6s.premium, and 1l.10s.deposit. Hazardous Insurances both by situation and kind of goods, if inclosed in brick or stone, 6s.premium, and 1l.10s.deposit; in timber 9s.premium, and 2l.5s.deposit. Andso in proportion within part brick part timber.

V. Those who insure above 1000l.not exceeding 2000l.in one policy, to pay double the premium that others do, but the same deposit; and from 2000l.to 3000l.on the following terms,viz.For every 100l.insured on goods inclosed in brick or stone, 6s.premium and 10s.deposit, and on goods not so inclosed, 9s.premium, and 15s.deposit. Insurances deemed hazardous, as to situation or kind of goods, each 100l.inclosed in brick or stone, 12s.premium, and 1l.deposit; in timber 18s.premium, and 1l.10s.deposit. Hazardous insurances, both by situation and kind of goods, if inclosed in brick or stone, 18s.premium, and 1l.10s.deposit; in timber 1l.7s.premium, and 2l.5s.deposit; and so in proportion within part brick part timber. Since the 15th of November 1738, the society have enlarged their insurances to 4000l.on the following terms,viz.For every 100l.insured on goods inclosed in brick or stone, 6s.premium, and 10s.deposit; and on goods not so inclosed, 9s.premium, and 15s.deposit; and the hazardous insurances in the same proportion as the 3000l.insurances; and so inproportion within part brick part timber, and since to 5000l.

VI. If more than twenty pounds weight of gunpowder is kept on the premises insur’d, the policy is to be void.

VII. All insurances beyond the bills of mortality pay 3s.to the surveyor for his charges,&c.

VIII. Every member to have a policy under the hands and seals of three of the trustees, and the society’s mark (being a double Hand-in-Hand) affix’d upon his house,&c.The insurance to be good from the time the charge is paid, and the deed of settlement subscribed by the person insuring. The policy, on expiration (after accounting for the deposit-money and mean profits) to be returned to the Office, as also the mark.

IX. So much of the deposit-money is to be returned at the expiration of the policy, as has not been applied to the making good of losses, and the payment of necessary charges, together with a proportionable dividend of profits. And beyond the deposit, no one to be answerable for above 10s.per cent.on brick, and proportionably for part brick and timber, to any one loss.

X. Every member transferring his policy, and the executors or administrators ofevery member dying, shall within three months at farthest, give notice thereof to the directors or their clerk, and bring the policy to the office, to have such transfer, or death, indorsed, and enter’d in the books, and in default thereof the benefit of the insurance to be lost. Every of which indorsements to be sign’d by two trustees at least, and 6d.for every 100l.on each removal insured to be paid for the same. Provided, that if the directors do not allow of such executor, administrator or assignee to be a member, or do not admit of any such indorsement of any such transfer, or death, (all questions thereabouts to be decided by balloting) then such executor, administrator or assignee, or person, shall only have what shall be due to their respective policies, and all farther demands on the said policies shall henceforth cease, any forfeitures or disabilities incurred by the breach of this article, where no loss has happened, may be relieved by the directors, if from the nature and circumstances of the case they think it reasonable.

XI. Any members of this society removing their goods from the places where they were assured, shall have no benefit of such assurance, or be paid for any loss that may happen, till such removalbe allowed by the directors for the time being; and if notice be not given of such removal within three kalendar months after the time of such removal, the policy to be void.

XII. The insurance of any goods,&c.in this society, which shall be insured in any other office at the same time, to be void: And yet such insurer shall be liable to his covenants. Nevertheless a liberty is given to insure in any other office, so as such other insurance is indorsed on this society’s policy, and subscribed by two of the trustees, for which 6d.per cent.is to be paid; and in which case a proportionable part of any loss is to be paid by this society.

XIII. All members sustaining any loss, shall give immediate notice of it to the directors, or clerk, in order to a view, and shall make out their loss by the oaths on affirmations of themselves, or by their domesticks or servants, or by their books or vouchers, or the Certificates of the minister, churchwardens, constables, or other neighbouring inhabitants, not concern’d in such loss, or by such other method as the directors shall reasonably require; and in case of fraud or perjury, such pretended sufferers to lose all benefits of the insurance. In case of any violentsuspicion of fraud or clandestine practices, (though the same for want of evidence may not be fully proved) it shall be lawful for the directors to declare such member’s policy void, and exclude him the society; and he is never afterwards to be capable of insuring in this office. All questions relating thereunto to be decided among the directors by balloting.

XIV. The directors, shall on all alarms of fire meet together at their office to determine upon the methods most conducive to the safety of the office, and service of the public.

XV. The directors with all convenient expedition, after any loss, shall settle a rate of contribution, and set it up in the office, and publish it in the Gazette, and otherwise as they think fit. And when such loss amounts to 50l.or upwards, such rate shall be settled by a majority of the directors at two successive weekly-meetings at the least; and if any five members, insuring to the value of 5000l.think themselves agrieved, they may within fourteen days after such publication, inspect all the office accounts,&c.and offer their exceptions to the directors; and not being there agreed, it shall stand referred to the next general meeting. Nevertheless when such rates shall exceed thedeposit-money, every member shall pay into the office his proportion, within thirty days after such publication; and all defaulters may by the directors be excluded the benefit of their insurances, and yet be liable to the payment of the said rates, pursuant to these articles.

Other offices of insurance on goods either deduct at least 3per cent.out of each claim for defraying charges,&c.or oblige the sufferers to agree to an average; which this office is so far from doing, that no person is put to any charge but that of an affidavit to prove his loss. And though it is objected against this office, that the members are liable to farther contributions, upon extraordinary losses, which is not the case in any other office that insures goods; yet this is certainly so far from being an objection against the Union Office, and a recommendation of those other offices, with such as reason justly, that this single confederation proves the excellency of the Union establishment, in making such provision for answering losses, as it is presumed, cannot be exceeded by any human contrivance. This office has paid since its first establishment in 1715 to the end of the year 1757, to sufferers by fire, the sum of 62,538l.18s.11d.½ besides which, therehave paid to porters and other necessary charges occasioned by fires upwards of 5600l.

This office is under the management of twenty-four directors, elected by a majority of the members out of their own body, by balloting, at a general meeting in the month of September; at which time the oldest eight of the twenty-four go out, and eight others are elected in their stead in a way of constant rotation. These appoint all the other officers, and meet every Wednesday in the afternoon between the hours of three and seven, to dispatch business, and in March to ascertain the dividends and contributions for the preceding year. The directors annually chuse out of their own body by balloting, a treasurer, and two assistant treasurers; also six trustees, three of whom sign all policies; and five auditors, to examine and pass the accounts; but as this office is solely calculated for the public good, none of the directors have any advantage above the rest of the members.

There are porters and watermen,&c.provided by the office, who assist in removing of goods; these wearing the societies livery and badge, and having given security for their fidelity, may be trusted in case of danger.Extracted from a copyof the proposals, and an abstract of the deed of settlement received at the office inOctober 1758.

Unionsquare, in the Minories.

Unionstairs, Wapping.

Unionstreet, 1. King street, Westminster: 2. New Bond street.

Upholders, orUpholsterers, a fraternity incorporated by letters patent granted by King Charles I. in the year 1627. They are governed by a master, two wardens, and twenty-eight assistants with a livery of an hundred and thirty-one members; who upon their admission, pay a fine of 4l.10s.but they have no hall.

UpperBrook street, Grosvenor square.†

UpperEast Smithfield, near Tower Hill.

UpperGround street, near the Falcon, Southwark.

UpperGun-alley, Wapping.*

UpperMiddle-row, Broad St. Giles’s.§

UpperMoorfields, near St. Luke’s hospital.

UpperMillbank, Horseferry.

UpperMoorfields-row, Upper Moorfields.

Upper Shadwellstreet, Shadwell.

Upperstreet, Islington, the street and row on the west side of Islington.

UpperTurn-stile, High Holbourn.☐

UpperWell-alley, Wapping.

Gentleman,Ushers, an order of officers under the Lord Chamberlain, of which thereare several classes, as the gentlemen ushers of the privy chamber; those of the presence chamber daily-waiters; and those who are quarter-waiters in ordinary.

The gentlemen ushers of the privy-chamber are four in number, and have the power of commanding all officers under them in the privy-lodgings, the bed-chamber excepted, and when there is a Queen, have the honour of leading her, in the absence of the Lord Chamberlain and Vice Chamberlain. The salary of each is 400l.a year.

The gentlemen ushers of the presence chamber, are also four, who are daily-waiters in ordinary, the first of whom has the considerable office of black rod. This gentleman in time of parliament attends every day the house of Lords, and is also usher of the most noble order of the Garter. See BLACK ROD. These gentlemen ushers wait in the presence chamber, where they attend next the King’s person; these under the Lord Chamberlain and Vice Chamberlain order all affairs, and all the under officers above stairs obey them. They have each 150l.per annum. There is also an assistant gentleman usher whose salary is 66l.13s.4d.a year.

The gentlemen ushers quarterly-waiters in ordinary, are eight in number. Thesealso wait in the presence chamber, and give directions in the absence of the gentlemen ushers daily-waiters, to whom they are subordinate. Their salary is only 50l.a year.Chamberlain’s present state.

Usher’scourt, Seething lane, Tower street.†

Uxbridge, a town in Middlesex, in the road from London to Oxford, from the first of which it is distant eighteen miles and a half. Though it is entirely independent, and is governed by two bailiffs, two constables, and four headboroughs, it is only a hamlet to Great Hillington. The river Coln runs through it in two streams, full of trout, eels, and other fish, and over the main stream is a stone bridge that leads into Buckinghamshire. The church, or rather chapel, was built in the reign of Henry VI. This town has many good inns, and is particularly distinguished by the whiteness of the bread, particularly their rolls. There are many corn-mills at a small distance, and a considerable number of waggon loads of meal are carried from thence every week to London. Uxbridge gives the title of Earl to the noble family of Paget.

Wade’srents, Gunpowder alley.†

Waite’syard, Blackman street, Southwark.†

Wake’scourt, Five Feet lane.†

Walbrook, a street which runs down from the south-west corner of the Mansion-house, towards the Thames. This street, which is chiefly inhabited by merchants and tradesmen, especially furriers, took its name from a rivulet called Walbrook, on account of its entering the city through the wall, between Bishopsgate and Moorgate, and after many turnings and windings, ran down this street, and emptied itself into the Thames near Dowgate. The loss of this rivulet was owing to the many bridges built over it, which at last increased to such a number, covered with houses, that whole streets were erected over it, and the channel of the river became a common sewer.

Walbrook Church. See St.Stephen’s Walbrook.

Walbrook Ward, takes its name from the above street. It is bounded on the east by Langbourn ward, on the south, by Dowgate ward; on the west, by Cordwainers ward; and on the north, by Cheap ward. Its principal streets and lanes are,Walbrook, Cannon street on both sides the way from Green Lettice court to Abchurch lane; the east end of Bucklersbury; St. Swithin’s lane, almost as far as Bearbinder lane, a small part of Lombard street, and almost all Bearbinder lane.

The most remarkable buildings are the fine church of St. Stephen Walbrook, and St. Swithin’s; the Mansion-house for the residence of the Lord Mayor; Salter’s hall; and that antient piece of antiquity called London stone.

This ward is governed by an Alderman, and eight common council men, one of whom is the Alderman’s deputy; thirteen inquestmen, six scavengers, seven constables, and a beadle. The jurymen returned by the wardmote inquest serve in the several courts of Guildhall in the month of October.

Walingfordcourt, Throgmorton street.†

Walker’scourt, 1. Berwick street, Old Soho.† 2. Knave’s Acre.†

Walker’syard, Tothill street.†

WallofLondon. SeeLondon Wall.

Wall’salley, in the Minories.†

Wallis’sstreet, Shoreditch.†

Walnut-treealley, 1. Bishopsgate street.‡ 2. Tooley street, Southwark.‡

Walnut-treecourt, Tooley street.‡ 2. Whitechapel.‡

Walnut-treeyard, Bishopsgate street without.‡

Walter’s Almshouses, of these there are the three following founded by Mr. John Walter, citizen and draper: one of which was in Blackman street, Southwark, built and endowed in the year 1651, for four poor men and eight poor women, each of whom receives 5s.a month, 10s.every new year’s day, and a chaldron of coals yearly. This almhouse is now removed to the south-east side of the New Road, leading from Westminster bridge to Blackman street.

Another founded by the same person in the year 1651, at Newington Butts, for sixteen poor men and women, who have each an allowance of 5s.permonth, half a chaldron of coals every year, and 10s.every new year’s day.

Another in Old street, founded by the above Mr. Walters, in the year 1658, for eight poor widows, each of whom have likewise an allowance of 5s.permonth, and half a chaldron of coals every Christmas.Maitland.

Walton, a village in Surry, situated on the Thames, opposite to Shepperton in Middlesex. It is said that the last mentioned county once joined to this town, till about 300 years ago, the old currentof the Thames was changed by an inundation, and a church destroyed by the waves.

At this place is a very curious bridge over the Thames, erected by the public spirited Samuel Decker, Esq; who lives in this town, and who applying to parliament for that purpose, obtained in the year 1747, an act to impower him to erect a bridge there, and this admirable structure was completed in August 1750.

It consists of only four stone piers, between which are three large truss arches of beams and joists of wood, strongly bound together with mortises, iron pins, and cramps; under these three arches the water constantly runs; besides which are five other arches of brick-work on each side, to render the ascent and descent the more easy; but there is seldom water under any of them, except in great floods, and four of them on the Middlesex side are stopped up, they being on high ground above the reach of the floods.

The middle arch, when viewed by the river side, affords an agreeable prospect of the country, beautifully diversified with wood and water, which is seen through it to a considerable distance. The prodigious compass of this great arch to a person below, occasions a veryuncommon sensation of awe and surprize; and his astonishment and attention are increased, when he proceeds to take notice, that all the timbers are in a falling position; for there is not one upright piece to be discovered; and at the same time considers the very small dimensions of the piers by which the whole is supported. The manner of its construction is better shewn in the print than can be described in words.

In passing over this bridge, when you have proceeded past the brick-work, the vacant interfaces between the timbers, yield, at every step, a variety of prospects, which, at the centre, are seen to a still greater advantage. But though each side is well secured by the timber and rails, to the height of eight feet; yet as it affords only a parapet of wide lattice-work, and the apertures seem, even to the eye, large enough to admit the passage of any person to go through, provided he climbs, or is lifted up, and as the water is seen through every opening at a great depth below, those unused to such views cannot approach the side without some apprehensions.

It would, indeed, have been easy to have closed these openings between the braces and rails with boards; but they arepurposely left open to admit a free passage for the air, in order to keep the timbers the more sound, and that the least decay may be the more easily perceived and repaired.

From this admirable bridge the nobility and gentry in this neighbourhood find a very agreeable benefit, especially as the ferries are dilatory, dangerous, and at times impassable; and its being erected has caused the roads thereabouts, in both counties, especially on the Surry side, to be greatly improved.

Waltham Abbey, a village in Essex, on the east side of the river Lea, which here dividing, incloses some islands with fine meadows, and parts it from Waltham Cross. The abbey from whence it took its name, was built in honour of the holy cross, by Harold son to Earl Godwin, to whom Edward the Confessor gave the village; and this abbey Harold endowed with West Waltham, now called Waltham Cross, and sixteen other manors. Its abbots, who were mitred, and had the twentieth place in parliament, lived in a most splendid, but hospitable manner, and were frequently visited by Henry III. when he was reduced, and obliged to carry his family about for a dinner. The abbey was at its dissolution bestowed byKing Henry VIII. on Sir Anthony Denny, his groom of the stole, whose grandson afterwards employing workmen to convert it into a seat for himself, they are said to have dug up the corpse of Harold, which after his being slain in battle against William the Conqueror, was at his mother’s request, by the Conqueror’s consent, interred in the abbey.

This is now, or was lately, the seat of —— Jones, Esq; the gardens belonging to the house, were some years since much admired; but since the taste for inclosed gardens has been condemned, they have been little frequented unless by some curious persons, to see the fine tulip tree that grows in a grass plot near the house.

Waltham Cross, also called West Waltham, is a post and market town on the west side of the river Lea in Middlesex, in the road to Ware, twelve measured miles from London. It takes its distinguishing epithet from the cross built there by Edward I. in honour of his beloved Queen Eleanor, whose corps in its way from Lincolnshire to London rested here. That Princess’s effigies are placed round the pillar with the arms of her consort, and those of her own,viz.England, Castile, Leon, and Poictou, which are still in part remaining though greatly defaced.

Walthamstow, a village in Essex, situated on the river Lea, contiguous to Low-Layton. Here are three manors, Walthamstow Tony or High-hall, Walthamstow Frances, or Low-hall, which was the manor of the late J. Conyers, Esq; and the manor of the rectory, which once belonged to Trinity abbey in London.

In this parish are several ancient seats, and handsome houses, belonging to persons of distinction, the most remarkable of which was that of Higham-hall, pleasantly situated upon Higham-hills, a rising ground, about half a mile north from Clay street, just above the river Lea, overlooking the counties of Middlesex and Hertfordshire, and commanding a most delightful and extensive prospect. It has been a magnificent and spacious fabric, and in ancient times, when the Lords resided upon their royalties, no place could be more admirably situated than this mansion, erected at the top of the hill of Higham, and having within its view the whole extent of its jurisdiction: but there are now hardly any traces of its ancient grandeur remaining.

The church of Walthamstow, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, is a large edifice situated upon a hill, and consistsof three isles, that on the north side built by Sir George Monox, Knt. Alderman and Lord Mayor of London in the reign of Henry VIII. is called Monox’s isle; that on south side bears the name of Thorne’s isle, from a citizen and merchant taylor of that name, who was probably at the expence of building it. In this church are a great number of monuments.

Before the communion table within the rails, is a piece of marble over the body of Doctor Pierse, Bishop of Bath and Wells.

On leaving the altar there is a monument erected to the memory of Sir Thomas Stanley, Knt. second son to the Earl of Derby, on which there is the effigy of a Lady on her knees. Besides which there are many others.Additions to Stows Survey.

Walton’scourt, Church-yard alley.†

Wandsworth, a village in Surry, situated between Battersea and Putney, is said to obtain its name from the river Wandle, which passes through it under a bridge called thesink of the country, into the Thames. Here are several handsome houses belonging to the gentry and citizens of London.

Wanley’scourt, Black Friars.†

Wansted, a village in Essex, adjoining to Woodford, and separated from Barking parish by the river Roding. There are in this place and its neighbourhood several fine seats of the nobility, gentry and wealthy citizens; but their lustre is greatly eclipsed by Wansted-house, the magnificent seat of the Earl of Tilney. This noble seat was prepared by Sir Josiah Child, his Lordship’s grandfather, who added to the advantage of a fine situation, a vast number of rows of trees, planted in avenues and vistas leading up to the spot of ground where the old house stood. The late Lord, before he was enobled, laid out the most spacious pieces of ground in gardens, that are to be seen in this part of England. The green house is a very superb building furnished with stoves and artificial places for heat, from an apartment which has a bagnio, and other conveniences, that render it both useful and pleasant.

The house was built since these gardens were finished, and is a magnificent edifice two hundred and sixty feet in length, and seventy in depth, fronted with Portland stone, which, where it is not discoloured by the smoke, as in London, grows whiter and whiter, the longer it is exposed to the open air.


Back to IndexNext