PICKING GRAPES, AUGERMAYLE PLACE, CLARKSTONGRAPE-GROWING (AND GIRL-GROWING) AT CLARKSTONA Seventh Day Adventist organization was effected by Elders Van Horn and Raymond as the outcome of tent meetings conducted by them on the Moses Hunt ranch on Pataha Flat in 1881. In 1902 the organization was removed to Pomeroy, and the next year a building was erected. Occasional church services and regular Sunday School sessions have been maintained, though there is no settled pastor.The history of the Episcopal Church calls up the names of two of the great figures in the pioneer life of that church, Bishop L. H. Wells and Bishop Paddock. Bishop Wells held services in the old Owsley schoolhouse in 1873. At that time the only member of that church in the whole country was Clara Pomeroy, daughter of J. M. Pomeroy, subsequently Mrs. E. T. Wilson, now living in Tacoma. It is recalled by members of the family that the girl's tuition at St. Paul's School in Walla Walla, of which she was an attendant, was paid by cattle on the range, and that Bishop Wells would go up occasionally to look over his herd, and on such occasions he would preach in the schoolhouse.Bishop Paddock gave $500 for a building and Bishop Wells raised $1,000 more, and in 1882 a church building was erected. At the present date Rev. John Leacher is pastor.The Congregational Church in Garfield County, was organized at Pataha in 1890 by the coming of Rev. John Nichols, one of the "Yale Band," of which President Penrose of Whitman College was another. The church was active and a great center of light and stimulation to intellectual and social life for some years. The Harford, Houser, Reynolds, Wills, Rigsby, McCanse, and other leading families of Pataha joined with the pastor to make the church a great force in the whole region. With the decline of Pataha and the retirement of Mr. Nichols the church activities ceased, and the Congregationalists centered their interests on the church at Pomeroy. That was organized on March 15, 1903, by Rev. D. H. Reid. The building of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was purchased. Rev. Edward Owens became the first pastor. In 1913 Rev. John M. Huggins became settled in that church, and is pastor at this date.FRATERNAL ORDERSThe fraternal orders are duly represented in Pomeroy. The Masons are represented by the Evening Star Lodge, No. 30, which received a dispensation in 1879. In 1886, a Royal Arch Chapter was duly established.The Harmony Lodge, No. 16, of the Odd Fellows was granted a dispensation March 29, 1879, and was organized in the May following.The Fairview Camp, No. 119, of the Woodmen of the World, dates its beginnings to July 5, 1892. There is also an auxiliary, the Women of Woodcraft, organized soon after the beginning of Fairview Camp.The Knights of Pythias have a strong organization at Pomeroy, known as Garfield Lodge No. 25. It unites with the Masons and Odd Fellows in the ownership of Union Lodge Hall, a commodious and attractive building, the joint ownership of which is an interesting feature of the fraternity life of Pomeroy.There is also a lodge of Rebekahs, known as Faith Rebekah Lodge, organized on May 25, 1888.The Modern Woodmen and the Foresters of America have organizations in Pomeroy.The Women's Christian Temperance Union organization was effected on June 18, 1884. It has been to this day a powerful influence for good, not alone in the line of temperance, but in many directions of community betterment. A free reading room is maintained, a most worthy agency for good.Perhaps the most unique and practically efficient organization in the whole City of Pomeroy is the Women's Civic Club. This was organized under the leadership of Mrs. Frank Cardwell, as a specific means of public betterment. The installation of drinking fountains, cluster lights, clean-up days and instrumentalities, and park improvements, are to be attributed to this admirable organization.Worthy of special respect is the post of the Grand Army of the Republic. It is known as McDowell Post, G. A. R.The post was mustered in by Captain Smith of Vancouver on April 23, 1885, with the following list of officers and high privates:S. G. Cosgrove. P. C.; B. B. Day, S. V. C.; J. W. Hardin, J. V. C.; J. S. Waldrup, surgeon; Henry C. Thompson, chaplain; D. C. Gardner, Q. M.; James Palmer. O. D.; Charles Lakin, O. G.; J. M. Sawyer, adjutant; Frank Elliott, S. M.; W. C. Potter, Q. M. S.; David Riley, L. M. Hoffeditz, Frank Geiger, W. G. S. Ginger, Cyrus D. Burt, J. P. Finch, B. Talmage. Only one of the charter members, Henry C. Thompson, now resides in Garfield County.The charter was signed by Department Commander A. Morrow of Vancouver.The post looks with pride to the monument erected on the courthouse square at a cost of $930. This monument was placed in 1904. Money was raised by a large list of donors, both comrades and their loyal friends, contributing. It was unveiled on the 4th day of July, 1904, in the presence of a large concourse of people from all over Garfield County, besides a number from adjoining counties.FARMERS' UNIONGarfield County being exclusively a farming community, the Farmers' Union is naturally a powerful organization. In its officers and membership are found many of the most influential farmers of the county, and in view of the fact that our story has necessarily dealt largely with the chief town of the county, it seems just to end this portion of the chapter with a more extended view of the Farmers' Union than we have given to the fraternal orders of the city. We therefore again take advantage of the courtesy of theEast Washingtonianby including here an article prepared for its special number by C. W. Cotton."Pomeroy Local, No. 10: This local was organized May 4, 1907, by H. D. Cox of Prescott, Wash., with fifteen charter members and the following officers: Chris Brockman, president; H. C. Thompson, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary-treasurer; Peter Herke, chaplain; John W. Oliver, conductor; Frank Rach, doorkeeper."The present membership numbers 130 and are collectively worth about two million dollars."The present officers are: James Oliver, president; William Gammon, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary-treasurer; J. W. Ball, chaplain; R. W. G. Mast, conductor; Henry Miller, doorkeeper; and Peter McClung, W. A. DeBow and D. B. Williams, executive board."As its work shows, No. 10 is one of the successful locals, its officers efficient and up-to-date—its secretary ranking with the best in the state. Its members own about 200 shares ($10 each) in the Tri-State Terminal Warehouse Company."The Pomeroy local organized a warehouse company in June, 1908, with thirty-two stockholders, capital stock, $6,350, divided into 127 shares of $50 each. All the stock was sold by June, 1909, and will have paid for itself in dividends during the first six years of its existence."This company built a warehouse, 50 × 450 feet, with a capacity of 200,000 bushels. This warehouse has stored the grain of the members and corrected many abuses of the grain storage business of Pomeroy, materially reduced the price of handling sacks, coal, posts, etc., and in a general way has been a benefit to every farmer in Garfield County."The Pomeroy Farmers' Union Warehouse Company's first officers were: William Gammon, president; James Oliver, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary; D. B. Williams, treasurer; Ed Lubkins, manager. Trustees: William Gammon, D. B. Williams, James Oliver, William J. Schmidt and J. M. Robinson. The present officers are: William Gammon, president; W. J. Schmidt, vice president; W. A. DeBow, secretary and manager, and D. B. Williams, treasurer."Mayview Local, No. 4: This local, the fourth to be given a charter in the State of Washington, was organized by Mr. Cox on May 13, 1907, with twenty-three charter members and the following officers: W. A. DeBow, president; T. E. Tueth, vice president; C. W. Cotton, secretary-treasurer; J. D. Lyon, chaplain; Arthur Ruark, conductor; and Ed Taylor, doorkeeper. Several of these have been continuously re-elected."The membership has increased to sixty, though a number have moved away and death has taken five of our brothers—Ed and Bert Leachman, Eph Hess, Charley Ruark and Roy Wade."The present officers are: T. E. Tueth, president; A. L. Shelton, vice president; C. W. Cotton, secretary-treasurer; C. E. Watson, chaplain; J. F. Dyche, conductor; and Ed Taylor, doorkeeper. Executive board: J. H. Lambie, C. H. Bishop, E. R. Schneckloth, C. W. Cotton and T. E. Tueth."The Mayview local has always taken an active part in union work and for two years furnished one of the five members of the state board."In January, 1910, it appealed to the O. R. & N. Co. to build a downtown depot in Pomeroy, without success. Later the appeal was sent to the state railroad commission. An investigation was promised which resulted in the present centrally located depot."In 1911 it successfully conducted a trial against the Mayview Tramway Company before the State Public Service Commission."In January, 1914, the United States Department of Justice was induced to begin an investigation of the alleged grain bag trust on the Pacific Coast. If this investigation has been thorough it will be some time before grain bags will sell again at 'two for a quarter.'"It favored the establishment of the paper,Pacific Farmers' Union, bought ten shares of stock, and for quite a while held the highest per cent of subscribers among its members. It was among the first to advocate a national union paper."The Mayview local owns about 100 shares in the Tri-State Terminal Warehouse Company and some of its members have profitably shipped their grain there."Ever since its organization it has bought grain bags, fuel, fence posts, etc., at a material reduction, and has contracted with the Tri-State Terminal Company for 93,000 grain bags for this year at a price believed to be the best ever given to the farmers of Garfield County."Central Local, No. 145: This local was organized by the writer, assisted by T. E. Tueth, January 7, 1911, with fifteen charter members and the following officers: S. Bratcher, president; J. H. Morris, vice president; C. T. Castle, secretary-treasurer; John Daisley, chaplain; J. E. Tueth, conductor; and J. W. Bly, doorkeeper. Other members: W. H. Keith, J. A. Brown, J. S. Tucker, Dennis Porter, W. B. Brown, Henry Lynn, Frank Lynn, Hattie Bratcher, and Harriet E. Bly. This local has kept up its membership and J. E. Tueth is now secretary-treasurer."THE PRESS OF GARFIELD COUNTYWe have already given a view of the earliest newspapers of what is now Garfield County, founded prior to county division. For the sake of clearness we here name them again, with the date of each:TheWashington Independentwas founded April 12, 1880, by F. W. D. Mays; thePataha Spiritin January, 1881, by G. C. W. Hammond; and thePomeroy Republicanhad its first number March 4, 1882, founded by E. T. Wilson. TheRepublicanwas practically continued by theEast Washingtonian, to which we have frequently referred and which has the distinction of longer continuance under one management than any other paper in Old Walla Walla County, with the exception of theColumbia Chronicleunder R. E. Peabody.Peter McClung, the present proprietor of theWashingtonian, after having been for several years an employee, became joint owner with E. M. Pomeroy in 1889, and in 1893 he became sole proprietor. In 1915 a corporation was formed of Peter McClung and Ray McClung. As a unique feature of this incorporation, and for the sake of creating something like a community paper, a hundred stockholders, the leading men of the town, have small shares in the enterprise. In this, as in its excellent news service and the force and cogency of its editorials, theWashingtonianranks very high among weekly papers.Mr. McClung tells us that many attempts at founding newspapers were made during the early history of the county. There were some eight or ten newspaper funerals during those early days. Most of them departedsine die. Two, thePataha Farmerand theGarfield County Standard, were absorbed by theWashingtonian.The files of theRepublicanof 1882 tempt to larger extracts than we have space for. In the advertising columns we find the following lawyers' cards: A. T. Heavilon, Frank H. Brown, J. H. Lister, J. B. Lister.R. P. Steen calls attention to the Pomeroy Planing Mill. The doctors are represented by J. C. Andrews and J. H. Kennedy. B. B. Day advertises thePomeroy Flour Mill. That mill was owned by J. H. Abbott, the pioneer stage line manager of Walla Walla. The mill was subsequently burned. Mr. Day also had the first store, sold to Brady and Rush. The St. George Hotel appears, managed by Harry St. George, still a leader in the affairs of Pomeroy. The sawmill of Jay Lynch at Iron Springs appears in the columns. We find also saw mills owned by E. G. Teale and E. Stephens and shingle mill by G. W. Bear on Pataha Flat. Mention is made of the ferry of J. J. Kanawyer across Snake River at Asotin. In the issue of March 18, 1882, is a somewhat vehement discussion of the "Garfield County county-seat contest," with the Walla WallaUnion. It appears that theUnionhad spoken with some contempt of the fuss and of the criticism of Judge Wingard for his technical decision. It avers that the expense was only $65.15. The tone of the article roused the ire of theRepublicanand it declares that it had cost $4,607.10, besides interest. In the same number is the school report, from which it appears that there were 1,198 pupils in twenty-five districts. That was at the time when Asotin was part of the county.On July 15, 1882, we find an item to the effect that William Stephens had sold lot 1, block 8, to Doctor Kuykendall and R. E. Butler for $1,000.In the number of November 11, 1882, is a very interesting item to the effect that Captain Lewis of Asotin had a limekiln two miles below the mouth of Grande Ronde River, and that he had stored there 250 barrels of lime. He anticipated getting out 1,200 barrels the next year. The statement is made that there is a fine ledge of marble near the same place.In concluding this too brief view of the interesting and important history of Garfield County we are impressed with the thought that if we were to select the especially unique feature of that history it would be found in the fact that this county, one of the small counties of the state and one of the newer ones, has had a remarkable list of men who have risen to prominence in the affairs of the state or of the country. It is quite remarkable to give even a partial list of such character. Two judges of the supreme court of the state, Elmon Scott and Mack Gose, went from Pomeroy. Governor Cosgrove was for many years a citizen of the same place. The greatest individual grain dealer in the United States, it is even said now the greatest in the world, Max Houser of Portland, was born and raised at Pataha. He is now said to be six times a millionaire. Recently he has invested $250,000 in Liberty bonds, and upon his appointment by President Wilson as grain commissioner of the North Pacific Coast, he decided to devote the entire profits of his grain business to the Red Cross. Other business men of great note, as John Davis of Seattle, Frank Williams of Toppenish, and C. G. Austin of Seattle, had their start in Garfield County. Jay Lynch, one of the leaders in early history in this county, subsequently became for many years the Federal agent at the Simcoe Reservation, where he made a great record for the wisdom and justice of his dealing with the Indians.The members of the Legislature from Garfield have exercised an influence in general legislation far beyond the proportionate size of the county. An instance may be found in the prominent part played by Senator J. R. Stevenson in the Open River movement.Every one in Pomeroy would think at once of Dr. G. B. Kuykendall as a character entirely out of the ordinary. Besides being a "beloved physician," he has been one of the foremost investigators of history and of Indian myths andcharacter, and has a high order of literary ability such as has given him a special place in the state.Among local features of distinctive interest and character, we may note those which we have already enumerated; the peculiar community ownership system upon which theEast Washingtonianrests, and the Women's Civic Club with all its municipal betterments, not indeed unknown in other towns, for the women of all our towns play a great part in improvement, but apparently carried to a higher degree of efficiency than can be found in other places of the size of Pomeroy.Sum it all up, and we may say that the people of Garfield County, a genuine red-blooded American community, ambitious, progressive, and enterprising, set a good example to all their neighbors.GARFIELD COUNTY PIONEER ASSOCIATIONThe Garfield County Pioneer Association was organized July 11, 1909.First officers were as follows:Mrs. Ella A. DeBow, president.Secretary, Frank V. Messenger.Treasurer, Mrs. Addie M. McClung.There were in addition several vice presidents to represent different sections of the county.Officers for the past four years:W. L. Howell, president.G. B. Kuykendall, secretary.L. F. Koenig, treasurer and financial secretary.Vice presidents to represent different parts of the country around.As an organization which has performed a great function in creating interest in local history and which has done much to preserve early records, the Garfield County Pioneer Association is worthy of special recognition. The association maintains a two days' session each year, and for conspicuous service in the fields upon which this history and others like it must rely, it is fitting that special mention be made of it in closing this chapter.
PICKING GRAPES, AUGERMAYLE PLACE, CLARKSTONGRAPE-GROWING (AND GIRL-GROWING) AT CLARKSTONA Seventh Day Adventist organization was effected by Elders Van Horn and Raymond as the outcome of tent meetings conducted by them on the Moses Hunt ranch on Pataha Flat in 1881. In 1902 the organization was removed to Pomeroy, and the next year a building was erected. Occasional church services and regular Sunday School sessions have been maintained, though there is no settled pastor.The history of the Episcopal Church calls up the names of two of the great figures in the pioneer life of that church, Bishop L. H. Wells and Bishop Paddock. Bishop Wells held services in the old Owsley schoolhouse in 1873. At that time the only member of that church in the whole country was Clara Pomeroy, daughter of J. M. Pomeroy, subsequently Mrs. E. T. Wilson, now living in Tacoma. It is recalled by members of the family that the girl's tuition at St. Paul's School in Walla Walla, of which she was an attendant, was paid by cattle on the range, and that Bishop Wells would go up occasionally to look over his herd, and on such occasions he would preach in the schoolhouse.Bishop Paddock gave $500 for a building and Bishop Wells raised $1,000 more, and in 1882 a church building was erected. At the present date Rev. John Leacher is pastor.The Congregational Church in Garfield County, was organized at Pataha in 1890 by the coming of Rev. John Nichols, one of the "Yale Band," of which President Penrose of Whitman College was another. The church was active and a great center of light and stimulation to intellectual and social life for some years. The Harford, Houser, Reynolds, Wills, Rigsby, McCanse, and other leading families of Pataha joined with the pastor to make the church a great force in the whole region. With the decline of Pataha and the retirement of Mr. Nichols the church activities ceased, and the Congregationalists centered their interests on the church at Pomeroy. That was organized on March 15, 1903, by Rev. D. H. Reid. The building of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was purchased. Rev. Edward Owens became the first pastor. In 1913 Rev. John M. Huggins became settled in that church, and is pastor at this date.FRATERNAL ORDERSThe fraternal orders are duly represented in Pomeroy. The Masons are represented by the Evening Star Lodge, No. 30, which received a dispensation in 1879. In 1886, a Royal Arch Chapter was duly established.The Harmony Lodge, No. 16, of the Odd Fellows was granted a dispensation March 29, 1879, and was organized in the May following.The Fairview Camp, No. 119, of the Woodmen of the World, dates its beginnings to July 5, 1892. There is also an auxiliary, the Women of Woodcraft, organized soon after the beginning of Fairview Camp.The Knights of Pythias have a strong organization at Pomeroy, known as Garfield Lodge No. 25. It unites with the Masons and Odd Fellows in the ownership of Union Lodge Hall, a commodious and attractive building, the joint ownership of which is an interesting feature of the fraternity life of Pomeroy.There is also a lodge of Rebekahs, known as Faith Rebekah Lodge, organized on May 25, 1888.The Modern Woodmen and the Foresters of America have organizations in Pomeroy.The Women's Christian Temperance Union organization was effected on June 18, 1884. It has been to this day a powerful influence for good, not alone in the line of temperance, but in many directions of community betterment. A free reading room is maintained, a most worthy agency for good.Perhaps the most unique and practically efficient organization in the whole City of Pomeroy is the Women's Civic Club. This was organized under the leadership of Mrs. Frank Cardwell, as a specific means of public betterment. The installation of drinking fountains, cluster lights, clean-up days and instrumentalities, and park improvements, are to be attributed to this admirable organization.Worthy of special respect is the post of the Grand Army of the Republic. It is known as McDowell Post, G. A. R.The post was mustered in by Captain Smith of Vancouver on April 23, 1885, with the following list of officers and high privates:S. G. Cosgrove. P. C.; B. B. Day, S. V. C.; J. W. Hardin, J. V. C.; J. S. Waldrup, surgeon; Henry C. Thompson, chaplain; D. C. Gardner, Q. M.; James Palmer. O. D.; Charles Lakin, O. G.; J. M. Sawyer, adjutant; Frank Elliott, S. M.; W. C. Potter, Q. M. S.; David Riley, L. M. Hoffeditz, Frank Geiger, W. G. S. Ginger, Cyrus D. Burt, J. P. Finch, B. Talmage. Only one of the charter members, Henry C. Thompson, now resides in Garfield County.The charter was signed by Department Commander A. Morrow of Vancouver.The post looks with pride to the monument erected on the courthouse square at a cost of $930. This monument was placed in 1904. Money was raised by a large list of donors, both comrades and their loyal friends, contributing. It was unveiled on the 4th day of July, 1904, in the presence of a large concourse of people from all over Garfield County, besides a number from adjoining counties.FARMERS' UNIONGarfield County being exclusively a farming community, the Farmers' Union is naturally a powerful organization. In its officers and membership are found many of the most influential farmers of the county, and in view of the fact that our story has necessarily dealt largely with the chief town of the county, it seems just to end this portion of the chapter with a more extended view of the Farmers' Union than we have given to the fraternal orders of the city. We therefore again take advantage of the courtesy of theEast Washingtonianby including here an article prepared for its special number by C. W. Cotton."Pomeroy Local, No. 10: This local was organized May 4, 1907, by H. D. Cox of Prescott, Wash., with fifteen charter members and the following officers: Chris Brockman, president; H. C. Thompson, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary-treasurer; Peter Herke, chaplain; John W. Oliver, conductor; Frank Rach, doorkeeper."The present membership numbers 130 and are collectively worth about two million dollars."The present officers are: James Oliver, president; William Gammon, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary-treasurer; J. W. Ball, chaplain; R. W. G. Mast, conductor; Henry Miller, doorkeeper; and Peter McClung, W. A. DeBow and D. B. Williams, executive board."As its work shows, No. 10 is one of the successful locals, its officers efficient and up-to-date—its secretary ranking with the best in the state. Its members own about 200 shares ($10 each) in the Tri-State Terminal Warehouse Company."The Pomeroy local organized a warehouse company in June, 1908, with thirty-two stockholders, capital stock, $6,350, divided into 127 shares of $50 each. All the stock was sold by June, 1909, and will have paid for itself in dividends during the first six years of its existence."This company built a warehouse, 50 × 450 feet, with a capacity of 200,000 bushels. This warehouse has stored the grain of the members and corrected many abuses of the grain storage business of Pomeroy, materially reduced the price of handling sacks, coal, posts, etc., and in a general way has been a benefit to every farmer in Garfield County."The Pomeroy Farmers' Union Warehouse Company's first officers were: William Gammon, president; James Oliver, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary; D. B. Williams, treasurer; Ed Lubkins, manager. Trustees: William Gammon, D. B. Williams, James Oliver, William J. Schmidt and J. M. Robinson. The present officers are: William Gammon, president; W. J. Schmidt, vice president; W. A. DeBow, secretary and manager, and D. B. Williams, treasurer."Mayview Local, No. 4: This local, the fourth to be given a charter in the State of Washington, was organized by Mr. Cox on May 13, 1907, with twenty-three charter members and the following officers: W. A. DeBow, president; T. E. Tueth, vice president; C. W. Cotton, secretary-treasurer; J. D. Lyon, chaplain; Arthur Ruark, conductor; and Ed Taylor, doorkeeper. Several of these have been continuously re-elected."The membership has increased to sixty, though a number have moved away and death has taken five of our brothers—Ed and Bert Leachman, Eph Hess, Charley Ruark and Roy Wade."The present officers are: T. E. Tueth, president; A. L. Shelton, vice president; C. W. Cotton, secretary-treasurer; C. E. Watson, chaplain; J. F. Dyche, conductor; and Ed Taylor, doorkeeper. Executive board: J. H. Lambie, C. H. Bishop, E. R. Schneckloth, C. W. Cotton and T. E. Tueth."The Mayview local has always taken an active part in union work and for two years furnished one of the five members of the state board."In January, 1910, it appealed to the O. R. & N. Co. to build a downtown depot in Pomeroy, without success. Later the appeal was sent to the state railroad commission. An investigation was promised which resulted in the present centrally located depot."In 1911 it successfully conducted a trial against the Mayview Tramway Company before the State Public Service Commission."In January, 1914, the United States Department of Justice was induced to begin an investigation of the alleged grain bag trust on the Pacific Coast. If this investigation has been thorough it will be some time before grain bags will sell again at 'two for a quarter.'"It favored the establishment of the paper,Pacific Farmers' Union, bought ten shares of stock, and for quite a while held the highest per cent of subscribers among its members. It was among the first to advocate a national union paper."The Mayview local owns about 100 shares in the Tri-State Terminal Warehouse Company and some of its members have profitably shipped their grain there."Ever since its organization it has bought grain bags, fuel, fence posts, etc., at a material reduction, and has contracted with the Tri-State Terminal Company for 93,000 grain bags for this year at a price believed to be the best ever given to the farmers of Garfield County."Central Local, No. 145: This local was organized by the writer, assisted by T. E. Tueth, January 7, 1911, with fifteen charter members and the following officers: S. Bratcher, president; J. H. Morris, vice president; C. T. Castle, secretary-treasurer; John Daisley, chaplain; J. E. Tueth, conductor; and J. W. Bly, doorkeeper. Other members: W. H. Keith, J. A. Brown, J. S. Tucker, Dennis Porter, W. B. Brown, Henry Lynn, Frank Lynn, Hattie Bratcher, and Harriet E. Bly. This local has kept up its membership and J. E. Tueth is now secretary-treasurer."THE PRESS OF GARFIELD COUNTYWe have already given a view of the earliest newspapers of what is now Garfield County, founded prior to county division. For the sake of clearness we here name them again, with the date of each:TheWashington Independentwas founded April 12, 1880, by F. W. D. Mays; thePataha Spiritin January, 1881, by G. C. W. Hammond; and thePomeroy Republicanhad its first number March 4, 1882, founded by E. T. Wilson. TheRepublicanwas practically continued by theEast Washingtonian, to which we have frequently referred and which has the distinction of longer continuance under one management than any other paper in Old Walla Walla County, with the exception of theColumbia Chronicleunder R. E. Peabody.Peter McClung, the present proprietor of theWashingtonian, after having been for several years an employee, became joint owner with E. M. Pomeroy in 1889, and in 1893 he became sole proprietor. In 1915 a corporation was formed of Peter McClung and Ray McClung. As a unique feature of this incorporation, and for the sake of creating something like a community paper, a hundred stockholders, the leading men of the town, have small shares in the enterprise. In this, as in its excellent news service and the force and cogency of its editorials, theWashingtonianranks very high among weekly papers.Mr. McClung tells us that many attempts at founding newspapers were made during the early history of the county. There were some eight or ten newspaper funerals during those early days. Most of them departedsine die. Two, thePataha Farmerand theGarfield County Standard, were absorbed by theWashingtonian.The files of theRepublicanof 1882 tempt to larger extracts than we have space for. In the advertising columns we find the following lawyers' cards: A. T. Heavilon, Frank H. Brown, J. H. Lister, J. B. Lister.R. P. Steen calls attention to the Pomeroy Planing Mill. The doctors are represented by J. C. Andrews and J. H. Kennedy. B. B. Day advertises thePomeroy Flour Mill. That mill was owned by J. H. Abbott, the pioneer stage line manager of Walla Walla. The mill was subsequently burned. Mr. Day also had the first store, sold to Brady and Rush. The St. George Hotel appears, managed by Harry St. George, still a leader in the affairs of Pomeroy. The sawmill of Jay Lynch at Iron Springs appears in the columns. We find also saw mills owned by E. G. Teale and E. Stephens and shingle mill by G. W. Bear on Pataha Flat. Mention is made of the ferry of J. J. Kanawyer across Snake River at Asotin. In the issue of March 18, 1882, is a somewhat vehement discussion of the "Garfield County county-seat contest," with the Walla WallaUnion. It appears that theUnionhad spoken with some contempt of the fuss and of the criticism of Judge Wingard for his technical decision. It avers that the expense was only $65.15. The tone of the article roused the ire of theRepublicanand it declares that it had cost $4,607.10, besides interest. In the same number is the school report, from which it appears that there were 1,198 pupils in twenty-five districts. That was at the time when Asotin was part of the county.On July 15, 1882, we find an item to the effect that William Stephens had sold lot 1, block 8, to Doctor Kuykendall and R. E. Butler for $1,000.In the number of November 11, 1882, is a very interesting item to the effect that Captain Lewis of Asotin had a limekiln two miles below the mouth of Grande Ronde River, and that he had stored there 250 barrels of lime. He anticipated getting out 1,200 barrels the next year. The statement is made that there is a fine ledge of marble near the same place.In concluding this too brief view of the interesting and important history of Garfield County we are impressed with the thought that if we were to select the especially unique feature of that history it would be found in the fact that this county, one of the small counties of the state and one of the newer ones, has had a remarkable list of men who have risen to prominence in the affairs of the state or of the country. It is quite remarkable to give even a partial list of such character. Two judges of the supreme court of the state, Elmon Scott and Mack Gose, went from Pomeroy. Governor Cosgrove was for many years a citizen of the same place. The greatest individual grain dealer in the United States, it is even said now the greatest in the world, Max Houser of Portland, was born and raised at Pataha. He is now said to be six times a millionaire. Recently he has invested $250,000 in Liberty bonds, and upon his appointment by President Wilson as grain commissioner of the North Pacific Coast, he decided to devote the entire profits of his grain business to the Red Cross. Other business men of great note, as John Davis of Seattle, Frank Williams of Toppenish, and C. G. Austin of Seattle, had their start in Garfield County. Jay Lynch, one of the leaders in early history in this county, subsequently became for many years the Federal agent at the Simcoe Reservation, where he made a great record for the wisdom and justice of his dealing with the Indians.The members of the Legislature from Garfield have exercised an influence in general legislation far beyond the proportionate size of the county. An instance may be found in the prominent part played by Senator J. R. Stevenson in the Open River movement.Every one in Pomeroy would think at once of Dr. G. B. Kuykendall as a character entirely out of the ordinary. Besides being a "beloved physician," he has been one of the foremost investigators of history and of Indian myths andcharacter, and has a high order of literary ability such as has given him a special place in the state.Among local features of distinctive interest and character, we may note those which we have already enumerated; the peculiar community ownership system upon which theEast Washingtonianrests, and the Women's Civic Club with all its municipal betterments, not indeed unknown in other towns, for the women of all our towns play a great part in improvement, but apparently carried to a higher degree of efficiency than can be found in other places of the size of Pomeroy.Sum it all up, and we may say that the people of Garfield County, a genuine red-blooded American community, ambitious, progressive, and enterprising, set a good example to all their neighbors.GARFIELD COUNTY PIONEER ASSOCIATIONThe Garfield County Pioneer Association was organized July 11, 1909.First officers were as follows:Mrs. Ella A. DeBow, president.Secretary, Frank V. Messenger.Treasurer, Mrs. Addie M. McClung.There were in addition several vice presidents to represent different sections of the county.Officers for the past four years:W. L. Howell, president.G. B. Kuykendall, secretary.L. F. Koenig, treasurer and financial secretary.Vice presidents to represent different parts of the country around.As an organization which has performed a great function in creating interest in local history and which has done much to preserve early records, the Garfield County Pioneer Association is worthy of special recognition. The association maintains a two days' session each year, and for conspicuous service in the fields upon which this history and others like it must rely, it is fitting that special mention be made of it in closing this chapter.
PICKING GRAPES, AUGERMAYLE PLACE, CLARKSTON
PICKING GRAPES, AUGERMAYLE PLACE, CLARKSTON
PICKING GRAPES, AUGERMAYLE PLACE, CLARKSTON
GRAPE-GROWING (AND GIRL-GROWING) AT CLARKSTON
GRAPE-GROWING (AND GIRL-GROWING) AT CLARKSTON
GRAPE-GROWING (AND GIRL-GROWING) AT CLARKSTON
A Seventh Day Adventist organization was effected by Elders Van Horn and Raymond as the outcome of tent meetings conducted by them on the Moses Hunt ranch on Pataha Flat in 1881. In 1902 the organization was removed to Pomeroy, and the next year a building was erected. Occasional church services and regular Sunday School sessions have been maintained, though there is no settled pastor.
The history of the Episcopal Church calls up the names of two of the great figures in the pioneer life of that church, Bishop L. H. Wells and Bishop Paddock. Bishop Wells held services in the old Owsley schoolhouse in 1873. At that time the only member of that church in the whole country was Clara Pomeroy, daughter of J. M. Pomeroy, subsequently Mrs. E. T. Wilson, now living in Tacoma. It is recalled by members of the family that the girl's tuition at St. Paul's School in Walla Walla, of which she was an attendant, was paid by cattle on the range, and that Bishop Wells would go up occasionally to look over his herd, and on such occasions he would preach in the schoolhouse.
Bishop Paddock gave $500 for a building and Bishop Wells raised $1,000 more, and in 1882 a church building was erected. At the present date Rev. John Leacher is pastor.
The Congregational Church in Garfield County, was organized at Pataha in 1890 by the coming of Rev. John Nichols, one of the "Yale Band," of which President Penrose of Whitman College was another. The church was active and a great center of light and stimulation to intellectual and social life for some years. The Harford, Houser, Reynolds, Wills, Rigsby, McCanse, and other leading families of Pataha joined with the pastor to make the church a great force in the whole region. With the decline of Pataha and the retirement of Mr. Nichols the church activities ceased, and the Congregationalists centered their interests on the church at Pomeroy. That was organized on March 15, 1903, by Rev. D. H. Reid. The building of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was purchased. Rev. Edward Owens became the first pastor. In 1913 Rev. John M. Huggins became settled in that church, and is pastor at this date.
FRATERNAL ORDERS
The fraternal orders are duly represented in Pomeroy. The Masons are represented by the Evening Star Lodge, No. 30, which received a dispensation in 1879. In 1886, a Royal Arch Chapter was duly established.
The Harmony Lodge, No. 16, of the Odd Fellows was granted a dispensation March 29, 1879, and was organized in the May following.
The Fairview Camp, No. 119, of the Woodmen of the World, dates its beginnings to July 5, 1892. There is also an auxiliary, the Women of Woodcraft, organized soon after the beginning of Fairview Camp.
The Knights of Pythias have a strong organization at Pomeroy, known as Garfield Lodge No. 25. It unites with the Masons and Odd Fellows in the ownership of Union Lodge Hall, a commodious and attractive building, the joint ownership of which is an interesting feature of the fraternity life of Pomeroy.
There is also a lodge of Rebekahs, known as Faith Rebekah Lodge, organized on May 25, 1888.
The Modern Woodmen and the Foresters of America have organizations in Pomeroy.
The Women's Christian Temperance Union organization was effected on June 18, 1884. It has been to this day a powerful influence for good, not alone in the line of temperance, but in many directions of community betterment. A free reading room is maintained, a most worthy agency for good.
Perhaps the most unique and practically efficient organization in the whole City of Pomeroy is the Women's Civic Club. This was organized under the leadership of Mrs. Frank Cardwell, as a specific means of public betterment. The installation of drinking fountains, cluster lights, clean-up days and instrumentalities, and park improvements, are to be attributed to this admirable organization.
Worthy of special respect is the post of the Grand Army of the Republic. It is known as McDowell Post, G. A. R.
The post was mustered in by Captain Smith of Vancouver on April 23, 1885, with the following list of officers and high privates:
S. G. Cosgrove. P. C.; B. B. Day, S. V. C.; J. W. Hardin, J. V. C.; J. S. Waldrup, surgeon; Henry C. Thompson, chaplain; D. C. Gardner, Q. M.; James Palmer. O. D.; Charles Lakin, O. G.; J. M. Sawyer, adjutant; Frank Elliott, S. M.; W. C. Potter, Q. M. S.; David Riley, L. M. Hoffeditz, Frank Geiger, W. G. S. Ginger, Cyrus D. Burt, J. P. Finch, B. Talmage. Only one of the charter members, Henry C. Thompson, now resides in Garfield County.
The charter was signed by Department Commander A. Morrow of Vancouver.
The post looks with pride to the monument erected on the courthouse square at a cost of $930. This monument was placed in 1904. Money was raised by a large list of donors, both comrades and their loyal friends, contributing. It was unveiled on the 4th day of July, 1904, in the presence of a large concourse of people from all over Garfield County, besides a number from adjoining counties.
FARMERS' UNION
Garfield County being exclusively a farming community, the Farmers' Union is naturally a powerful organization. In its officers and membership are found many of the most influential farmers of the county, and in view of the fact that our story has necessarily dealt largely with the chief town of the county, it seems just to end this portion of the chapter with a more extended view of the Farmers' Union than we have given to the fraternal orders of the city. We therefore again take advantage of the courtesy of theEast Washingtonianby including here an article prepared for its special number by C. W. Cotton.
"Pomeroy Local, No. 10: This local was organized May 4, 1907, by H. D. Cox of Prescott, Wash., with fifteen charter members and the following officers: Chris Brockman, president; H. C. Thompson, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary-treasurer; Peter Herke, chaplain; John W. Oliver, conductor; Frank Rach, doorkeeper.
"The present membership numbers 130 and are collectively worth about two million dollars.
"The present officers are: James Oliver, president; William Gammon, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary-treasurer; J. W. Ball, chaplain; R. W. G. Mast, conductor; Henry Miller, doorkeeper; and Peter McClung, W. A. DeBow and D. B. Williams, executive board.
"As its work shows, No. 10 is one of the successful locals, its officers efficient and up-to-date—its secretary ranking with the best in the state. Its members own about 200 shares ($10 each) in the Tri-State Terminal Warehouse Company.
"The Pomeroy local organized a warehouse company in June, 1908, with thirty-two stockholders, capital stock, $6,350, divided into 127 shares of $50 each. All the stock was sold by June, 1909, and will have paid for itself in dividends during the first six years of its existence.
"This company built a warehouse, 50 × 450 feet, with a capacity of 200,000 bushels. This warehouse has stored the grain of the members and corrected many abuses of the grain storage business of Pomeroy, materially reduced the price of handling sacks, coal, posts, etc., and in a general way has been a benefit to every farmer in Garfield County.
"The Pomeroy Farmers' Union Warehouse Company's first officers were: William Gammon, president; James Oliver, vice president; William J. Schmidt, secretary; D. B. Williams, treasurer; Ed Lubkins, manager. Trustees: William Gammon, D. B. Williams, James Oliver, William J. Schmidt and J. M. Robinson. The present officers are: William Gammon, president; W. J. Schmidt, vice president; W. A. DeBow, secretary and manager, and D. B. Williams, treasurer.
"Mayview Local, No. 4: This local, the fourth to be given a charter in the State of Washington, was organized by Mr. Cox on May 13, 1907, with twenty-three charter members and the following officers: W. A. DeBow, president; T. E. Tueth, vice president; C. W. Cotton, secretary-treasurer; J. D. Lyon, chaplain; Arthur Ruark, conductor; and Ed Taylor, doorkeeper. Several of these have been continuously re-elected.
"The membership has increased to sixty, though a number have moved away and death has taken five of our brothers—Ed and Bert Leachman, Eph Hess, Charley Ruark and Roy Wade.
"The present officers are: T. E. Tueth, president; A. L. Shelton, vice president; C. W. Cotton, secretary-treasurer; C. E. Watson, chaplain; J. F. Dyche, conductor; and Ed Taylor, doorkeeper. Executive board: J. H. Lambie, C. H. Bishop, E. R. Schneckloth, C. W. Cotton and T. E. Tueth.
"The Mayview local has always taken an active part in union work and for two years furnished one of the five members of the state board.
"In January, 1910, it appealed to the O. R. & N. Co. to build a downtown depot in Pomeroy, without success. Later the appeal was sent to the state railroad commission. An investigation was promised which resulted in the present centrally located depot.
"In 1911 it successfully conducted a trial against the Mayview Tramway Company before the State Public Service Commission.
"In January, 1914, the United States Department of Justice was induced to begin an investigation of the alleged grain bag trust on the Pacific Coast. If this investigation has been thorough it will be some time before grain bags will sell again at 'two for a quarter.'
"It favored the establishment of the paper,Pacific Farmers' Union, bought ten shares of stock, and for quite a while held the highest per cent of subscribers among its members. It was among the first to advocate a national union paper.
"The Mayview local owns about 100 shares in the Tri-State Terminal Warehouse Company and some of its members have profitably shipped their grain there.
"Ever since its organization it has bought grain bags, fuel, fence posts, etc., at a material reduction, and has contracted with the Tri-State Terminal Company for 93,000 grain bags for this year at a price believed to be the best ever given to the farmers of Garfield County.
"Central Local, No. 145: This local was organized by the writer, assisted by T. E. Tueth, January 7, 1911, with fifteen charter members and the following officers: S. Bratcher, president; J. H. Morris, vice president; C. T. Castle, secretary-treasurer; John Daisley, chaplain; J. E. Tueth, conductor; and J. W. Bly, doorkeeper. Other members: W. H. Keith, J. A. Brown, J. S. Tucker, Dennis Porter, W. B. Brown, Henry Lynn, Frank Lynn, Hattie Bratcher, and Harriet E. Bly. This local has kept up its membership and J. E. Tueth is now secretary-treasurer."
THE PRESS OF GARFIELD COUNTY
We have already given a view of the earliest newspapers of what is now Garfield County, founded prior to county division. For the sake of clearness we here name them again, with the date of each:
TheWashington Independentwas founded April 12, 1880, by F. W. D. Mays; thePataha Spiritin January, 1881, by G. C. W. Hammond; and thePomeroy Republicanhad its first number March 4, 1882, founded by E. T. Wilson. TheRepublicanwas practically continued by theEast Washingtonian, to which we have frequently referred and which has the distinction of longer continuance under one management than any other paper in Old Walla Walla County, with the exception of theColumbia Chronicleunder R. E. Peabody.
Peter McClung, the present proprietor of theWashingtonian, after having been for several years an employee, became joint owner with E. M. Pomeroy in 1889, and in 1893 he became sole proprietor. In 1915 a corporation was formed of Peter McClung and Ray McClung. As a unique feature of this incorporation, and for the sake of creating something like a community paper, a hundred stockholders, the leading men of the town, have small shares in the enterprise. In this, as in its excellent news service and the force and cogency of its editorials, theWashingtonianranks very high among weekly papers.
Mr. McClung tells us that many attempts at founding newspapers were made during the early history of the county. There were some eight or ten newspaper funerals during those early days. Most of them departedsine die. Two, thePataha Farmerand theGarfield County Standard, were absorbed by theWashingtonian.
The files of theRepublicanof 1882 tempt to larger extracts than we have space for. In the advertising columns we find the following lawyers' cards: A. T. Heavilon, Frank H. Brown, J. H. Lister, J. B. Lister.
R. P. Steen calls attention to the Pomeroy Planing Mill. The doctors are represented by J. C. Andrews and J. H. Kennedy. B. B. Day advertises thePomeroy Flour Mill. That mill was owned by J. H. Abbott, the pioneer stage line manager of Walla Walla. The mill was subsequently burned. Mr. Day also had the first store, sold to Brady and Rush. The St. George Hotel appears, managed by Harry St. George, still a leader in the affairs of Pomeroy. The sawmill of Jay Lynch at Iron Springs appears in the columns. We find also saw mills owned by E. G. Teale and E. Stephens and shingle mill by G. W. Bear on Pataha Flat. Mention is made of the ferry of J. J. Kanawyer across Snake River at Asotin. In the issue of March 18, 1882, is a somewhat vehement discussion of the "Garfield County county-seat contest," with the Walla WallaUnion. It appears that theUnionhad spoken with some contempt of the fuss and of the criticism of Judge Wingard for his technical decision. It avers that the expense was only $65.15. The tone of the article roused the ire of theRepublicanand it declares that it had cost $4,607.10, besides interest. In the same number is the school report, from which it appears that there were 1,198 pupils in twenty-five districts. That was at the time when Asotin was part of the county.
On July 15, 1882, we find an item to the effect that William Stephens had sold lot 1, block 8, to Doctor Kuykendall and R. E. Butler for $1,000.
In the number of November 11, 1882, is a very interesting item to the effect that Captain Lewis of Asotin had a limekiln two miles below the mouth of Grande Ronde River, and that he had stored there 250 barrels of lime. He anticipated getting out 1,200 barrels the next year. The statement is made that there is a fine ledge of marble near the same place.
In concluding this too brief view of the interesting and important history of Garfield County we are impressed with the thought that if we were to select the especially unique feature of that history it would be found in the fact that this county, one of the small counties of the state and one of the newer ones, has had a remarkable list of men who have risen to prominence in the affairs of the state or of the country. It is quite remarkable to give even a partial list of such character. Two judges of the supreme court of the state, Elmon Scott and Mack Gose, went from Pomeroy. Governor Cosgrove was for many years a citizen of the same place. The greatest individual grain dealer in the United States, it is even said now the greatest in the world, Max Houser of Portland, was born and raised at Pataha. He is now said to be six times a millionaire. Recently he has invested $250,000 in Liberty bonds, and upon his appointment by President Wilson as grain commissioner of the North Pacific Coast, he decided to devote the entire profits of his grain business to the Red Cross. Other business men of great note, as John Davis of Seattle, Frank Williams of Toppenish, and C. G. Austin of Seattle, had their start in Garfield County. Jay Lynch, one of the leaders in early history in this county, subsequently became for many years the Federal agent at the Simcoe Reservation, where he made a great record for the wisdom and justice of his dealing with the Indians.
The members of the Legislature from Garfield have exercised an influence in general legislation far beyond the proportionate size of the county. An instance may be found in the prominent part played by Senator J. R. Stevenson in the Open River movement.
Every one in Pomeroy would think at once of Dr. G. B. Kuykendall as a character entirely out of the ordinary. Besides being a "beloved physician," he has been one of the foremost investigators of history and of Indian myths andcharacter, and has a high order of literary ability such as has given him a special place in the state.
Among local features of distinctive interest and character, we may note those which we have already enumerated; the peculiar community ownership system upon which theEast Washingtonianrests, and the Women's Civic Club with all its municipal betterments, not indeed unknown in other towns, for the women of all our towns play a great part in improvement, but apparently carried to a higher degree of efficiency than can be found in other places of the size of Pomeroy.
Sum it all up, and we may say that the people of Garfield County, a genuine red-blooded American community, ambitious, progressive, and enterprising, set a good example to all their neighbors.
GARFIELD COUNTY PIONEER ASSOCIATION
The Garfield County Pioneer Association was organized July 11, 1909.
First officers were as follows:
Mrs. Ella A. DeBow, president.
Secretary, Frank V. Messenger.
Treasurer, Mrs. Addie M. McClung.
There were in addition several vice presidents to represent different sections of the county.
Officers for the past four years:
W. L. Howell, president.
G. B. Kuykendall, secretary.
L. F. Koenig, treasurer and financial secretary.
Vice presidents to represent different parts of the country around.
As an organization which has performed a great function in creating interest in local history and which has done much to preserve early records, the Garfield County Pioneer Association is worthy of special recognition. The association maintains a two days' session each year, and for conspicuous service in the fields upon which this history and others like it must rely, it is fitting that special mention be made of it in closing this chapter.