Chapter 6

Timothy BrooksTimothy Brooks was the son of Henry and Susan Brooks of Woburn,Mass.He married (1st), 1659, December 2, Mary, daughter of John Russell. She died at Woburn, 1680. He married (2d), 1680, Mehitable, daughter of Roger and Mary Mowry, and widow of Eldad Kingsley of Swansea. Timothy Brooks had several children of some of whom we find record as follows:Timothy, born, 1661, October 9. Married, 1685, November 10, Hannah, daughter of Obadiah and Abigail (Bullock) Bowen. He was a Baptist minister. Removed from Swansea,Mass., to Cohansey,N.Y.John, born about 1662. Married (1st) Martha, daughter of Hugh and Mary (Foxwell) Cole (b. 1662, April 16; d. 1711); married (2d) Tabitha Wright of New York. She died, 1714, November 19, aged 30 years. He died, 1714, November 22, aged 52 years.Mary, married Samuel, son of William and Susannah Salisbury (b. 1666, May 17, and died——). Samuel Salisbury married (2d) Jemima Martin.Elizabeth, married, 1689, April 10, Thomas Lewis.Hepsibath, born, 1673. Married, 1694, May 22. Pelatiah, son of Sampson and Mary (Butterworth) Mason, (b. 1669, April 1), and died, 1727, August 24. He married a second, third, and fourth wife and died, 1763, March 29.Rebecca, married, 1696, November 6, Melatiah, son of John and Joanna (Esten) Martin. He was born, 1673, April 30, and died, 1761, January 30.Abigail, married Levi Preston.Josiah born, Swansea,Mass., 1681. Removed to New York.Timothy Brooks resided at different periods, at Woburn, Bedford and Swansea,Mass.During King Philip’s war, his family were protected at “Garrison No. 10” at Bedford, which stood near his residence, now known as the “Old Page House.” After the death of his first wife, 1680, he removed to Swansea. He was “admitted into ye second Ranke” at Swansea 1680, November 12. Freeman, 1681. Granted liberty “to set up a Saw Mill on Mattapoisett River at the upper falls and four acres of Land to accommodate the same adjoining,” 1681, November 11. One of “the Grand Enquest,” 1682, June 6. Granted liberty to “keep Entertainment for Travellers” 1684, January 1. Commissioned Lieutenant of the Swansea Company, 1686, June 4. Promoted to be Captain of the Company, 1690, May 20.Timothy Brooks resided in that part of Swansea now Warren, and, in 1690, was one of the fence viewers appointed for Kickemuit district. His hostelry was the first ever opened within the limits of Warren. Judging by deeds recorded at Swansea and Warren, it was located on the east side of Belcher’s Cove on the Swansea Road. His estate consisted of a house, barn, and out-buildings and 110 acres of land, which he sold to John Barney of Bristol, May 15, 1702.Illustration: acorn oak leaf

Timothy Brooks was the son of Henry and Susan Brooks of Woburn,Mass.He married (1st), 1659, December 2, Mary, daughter of John Russell. She died at Woburn, 1680. He married (2d), 1680, Mehitable, daughter of Roger and Mary Mowry, and widow of Eldad Kingsley of Swansea. Timothy Brooks had several children of some of whom we find record as follows:

Timothy, born, 1661, October 9. Married, 1685, November 10, Hannah, daughter of Obadiah and Abigail (Bullock) Bowen. He was a Baptist minister. Removed from Swansea,Mass., to Cohansey,N.Y.

John, born about 1662. Married (1st) Martha, daughter of Hugh and Mary (Foxwell) Cole (b. 1662, April 16; d. 1711); married (2d) Tabitha Wright of New York. She died, 1714, November 19, aged 30 years. He died, 1714, November 22, aged 52 years.

Mary, married Samuel, son of William and Susannah Salisbury (b. 1666, May 17, and died——). Samuel Salisbury married (2d) Jemima Martin.

Elizabeth, married, 1689, April 10, Thomas Lewis.

Hepsibath, born, 1673. Married, 1694, May 22. Pelatiah, son of Sampson and Mary (Butterworth) Mason, (b. 1669, April 1), and died, 1727, August 24. He married a second, third, and fourth wife and died, 1763, March 29.

Rebecca, married, 1696, November 6, Melatiah, son of John and Joanna (Esten) Martin. He was born, 1673, April 30, and died, 1761, January 30.

Abigail, married Levi Preston.

Josiah born, Swansea,Mass., 1681. Removed to New York.

Timothy Brooks resided at different periods, at Woburn, Bedford and Swansea,Mass.During King Philip’s war, his family were protected at “Garrison No. 10” at Bedford, which stood near his residence, now known as the “Old Page House.” After the death of his first wife, 1680, he removed to Swansea. He was “admitted into ye second Ranke” at Swansea 1680, November 12. Freeman, 1681. Granted liberty “to set up a Saw Mill on Mattapoisett River at the upper falls and four acres of Land to accommodate the same adjoining,” 1681, November 11. One of “the Grand Enquest,” 1682, June 6. Granted liberty to “keep Entertainment for Travellers” 1684, January 1. Commissioned Lieutenant of the Swansea Company, 1686, June 4. Promoted to be Captain of the Company, 1690, May 20.

Timothy Brooks resided in that part of Swansea now Warren, and, in 1690, was one of the fence viewers appointed for Kickemuit district. His hostelry was the first ever opened within the limits of Warren. Judging by deeds recorded at Swansea and Warren, it was located on the east side of Belcher’s Cove on the Swansea Road. His estate consisted of a house, barn, and out-buildings and 110 acres of land, which he sold to John Barney of Bristol, May 15, 1702.

Illustration: acorn oak leaf


Back to IndexNext