BRAMFORD.

The POST-OFFICE is at the top of Queen-street.  Mr. William Stevenson Fitch is the postmaster.  Three deliveries of letters take place in the town each day, and eight village postmen go daily to the surrounding country.  There are four receiving boxes in different parts of the town.  The Mails are despatched by rails, &c., to London and all parts at 7.55 morning and 10 night, and to Bury St. Edmund’s, Cambridge, North of England, &c., at one afternoon.  Mail Carts to Felixstow, Woodbridge, Saxmundham, Yarmouth, &c., every morning.  The Letter Box closes at 10 night.  Money Orders are granted and paid from 9½ morning to 6 evening.  The Post-office Clerks are Messrs. John Madocks, James Saxty, William Whitehead, and Richard Charles Duningham.  The Town Letter Carriers are Messrs. George Brame, Edgar Boar, Jos. Wilson, William Goddard, and Thomas Wilde.  A new Post-Office is in course of erection.

A railway station, parish, and considerable village on the Eastern Union railway and navigable river Gipping, 2½ miles north-west from Ipswich, in Bosmere and Claydon Hundred and Union, East Suffolk; contained a population of 833 in 1841, and in 1851, 997.  Its area is 3,168 acres.  Here is a common of 10 acres, and 10 acres in cottage gardens.  Sir P. Broke, Bart., is lord of the manor, and owner of a large portion of the soil.  The church of St. Stephen is a neat building, with square tower and leaden spire; the living is a vicarage in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and the Rev. S. W. Maul is the present incumbent.  There is also a small Independent chapel.

Allen, Alfred, and Emma, National school for boys and girls

Bagley, John, blacksmith

Baxter, Benjamin, grocer, &c.

Bowman, James, baker

Bramford, James, farmer

Burch, John, saddler and harness maker

Chamberlain, James, boot and shoe maker

Clarke, Mr. William Chapman, Bramford hill

Doe, William, bricklayer

Dyer, Mrs.

Giles, Isaac, shoemaker

Green, W. P., farmer

Hardy, George, Cock, and butcher

Harrison, Francis, carpenter

Haward, Henry, farmer

Hitchcock, Ebenezer, miller, maltster, and baker

Hughes, Thomas, carpenter and wheelwright

Kerridge, Samuel, beer retailer

King, James, wheelwright and post-office receiving house

Larter, Thomas, nursery, seedsman, and florist

Leadbetter, Mrs. Ann

Leggatt, John, Esq.

Lewis, Joseph, farmer

Lewis, Mary Ann, seminary

Lovely, Wm., Crown, and nurseryman, Whitton road

Mays, Thomas, shoemaker

Morgan, John, farmer, Pigeon farm

Mudd, John, farmer, Tye farm

Mumford, R. W., farmer, Grove house

Mumford, William Henry, farmer, Sycamore House

Pallant, Thomas, butcher and farmer

Parish, Ann, shopkeeper and beer retailer

Steward, Rev. Ambrose, M.A., Whitton White house

Stokes, Mr. Robert, Bramford hill

Palmer, Henry, Angel

Simpson, George, cooper

Talmash, William, tailor

Wake, Henry, farmer and assessor of taxes

Wood, R. R. Esq.

A parish and village, 1½ miles N.E. from Bramford station, 72 miles from London, and 2 N. from Ipswich; contained a population of 484 inhabitants in 1851.  The church of Whitton, dedicated to St. Mary, has lately been rebuilt, and very much enlarged.  The living is a rectory, valued at £250.  The Bishop of Ely is patron, and the Rev. W. Howorth, M.A. is the incumbent.

Badham, George D. Esq., Sparrow’s Nest

Bloomfield, John, farmer

Bowman, Alfred, farmer

Catt, Samuel, farmer

Catt, Samuel, jun., farmer

Clarke, Richard, farmer

Clarke, Richard, junr., wheelwright

Clark, Richard, carpenter and timber merchant

Day, Edward, shoemaker

Field, Edward, corn miller

Flindell, John, Orford tavern

Gall, Mr. James

Hallam, Miss Maria

Hewitt, Benjamin, shoemaker

Hitchcock, E., miller

Howard, Stephen, farmer

Howorth, Rev. W. m.a., rector

Hubbard, Jonathan, bailiff, Lodge

Kersey, Thomas E., farmer

Kersey, Clement, farmer

King, Henry, blacksmith

Lovely, William, nurseryman and seedsman, Crown inn

Nunn, James, butcher, &c.

Nunn, James, farmer

Nichols, Mr. George

Office, Edward, bailiff, Dale Hall

Palmer, Elizabeth, schoolmistress

Pike, Jeremiah, baker and gardener

Pratt, Isaac, victualler, Maypole

Rogers, Miss

Rowland, Samuel, farmer

Scutcheon, William, shopkeeper

Smith, Richard, shoemaker and sexton

Sparrowe, Miss Sarah

Stevenson, Henry, cattle dealer

Steward, Charles, Esq., Thurlston lodge

Steward, Rev. Ambrose, White house

Travis, Mr. William Hardy

Wood, Francis, whitesmith

Wollard, Edward, shoemaker

Wollard, Thomas, wheelwright

Kesgraveis a small village 3½ miles E. from Ipswich, and 3½ S.W. from Woodbridge, in Carlford Hundred and Norwich Bishopric.  The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Sir John Shawe, value £58.  The church is a brick building with square tower.  The Rev. W. Collett, M.A., is the incumbent.  Population 86.  Robert Newton Shawe, Esq., is lord of the manor.

Cornwell, Robert, victualler, Bell inn

Turner, William, farmer

Wolton, Samuel, jun., farmer

Rushmereis a neat village, 3 miles N.E. from Ipswich station, and 5 S.W. of Woodbridge, in Carlford Hundred and Norwich Bishopric, East Suffolk.  The living is a vicarage, value £170, in the gift of the Marquis of Bristol.  The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building with flint tower.  The Rev. W. Wigson, B.A., is the incumbent.  Population in 1851 was 678.

Abbott, Mr. Nathaniel

Baker, Thomas, victualler, Greyhound

Barham, Mr. William

Betts, Henry, miller, Tower mill

Birch, Mr. John

Boggis, Rev. W. R. T., b.a., Cottage

Clarke, Joseph, farmer, Poplar farm

Crisp, John, carpenter

Dawson, William, miller and farmer

Durrant, Christopher Mercer, m.d., and Ipswich

Everett, Joseph D., farmer

Farthing, G., butcher and victualler, Britannia

Gale, John, farmer, Hall

Halls, Jas., shopkeeper and colt breaker

Hillin, James, Bixley decoy ponds

Howes, Lucy, National schoolmistress

Jackson, Isaac, joiner, &c.

Janson, Richard, Esq., White House

Kennell, William, brickyard manager

Mann, William, shoemaker

Newson, William, farmer

Parish, Joshua, beer house, Hop Garden

Perry, Mr. Stephen

Potter, James, wheelwright

Potter, Frederick, boot and shoe maker

Schreiber, W. Frederick, Esq., Round Wood

Segger, Philip, parish clerk and smith

Segger, John, blacksmith

Sherman, Mr. Thomas

Shewell, Mr. John

Skeet, Robert James

Walford, Thomas, shopkeeper

Wigson, Rev. William, M.A., vicarage

Wilson, Pettit, farmer and beer house

Wolton, Samuel, junr., Bixley farm

Martlesham, near the Deben estuary, is a parish and small village, 1½ mile S.W. of Woodbridge, and 6 E. by N. of Ipswich, in Carlford Hundred and Norwich Bishopric, East Suffolk.  The living is a rectory, value £370, in the gift of Frederick Gooden Doughty, Esq., who is lord of the manor.  The Rev. Thomas D. Betts, B.A., is the incumbent.  The church of St. Mary is a stone building, with a tower.  Population 477.

Balls, Zedekiah, blacksmith

Betts, Rev. Thos. D’Eye,B.A., rectory

Brighton, Thomas, farmer

Cadd, William, corn miller

Fletcher, Charles, carpenter

Garrod, Lydia, farmer

Gobbett, William, farmer

Groom, Roger, brewer and victualler, Red Lion, and farmer

Groom, Frederick, farmer

Hayward, Robert, farmer

Hill, James, farmer

Howes, James, farmer

Hudson, John, shopkeeper and shoemaker

Kent, Catherine, shopkeeper

Kerridge, Daniel, blacksmith

Pollard, John, farmer

Rampling, Charles, farmer

Ramsey, George, parish clerk

Read, George, wheelwright

Runnacles, Robert, farmer

Spink, Major-General Sir John,K.H., Beacon Hill house

A village 2 miles N.E. of Ipswich.  Its population in 1841 was 324.  The church of St. Mary is a small, neat building, with square tower.  The living is a rectory.  The tithes have been commuted for £350 per annum: the Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. Charles Drage, M.A., is the incumbent.

Ablett, Mr. Adolphus

Adams, Hannah, gardener

Aldrich, Rev. John Cobbold,M.A., incumbent of St. Lawrence, Weaterfield House

Birch, Joseph, carpenter

Birch, Thomas, farmer

Bird, Thomas, farmer

Cage, William, blacksmith

Davy, Robert, pig dealer and beer house

Drage, Rev. Charles,M.A., rectory

Edwards, E., Hall

Garrod, John, gardener

Haggar, J., bailiff

Hammond, Jeremiah, shoemaker

Norman, Nathaniel, jun., shopkeeper

Payne, Ann, farmer

Payne, George, farmer

Potter, Robert, parish clerk

Salter, Henry, farmer

Shelby, Robert, farmer

Smith, E., bailiff

Threadkell, William B., corn miller

Turner, Joseph, shopkeeper

A pleasant village, on the banks of the river Orwell, 3½ miles south of Ipswich, and 3½ E. from Brently station; is in Samford Hundred, and contained, in 1851, 224 inhabitants.  The church of St. Peter is a neat fabric, with square tower.  The living is a rectory, value £376.  The Rev. Alfred Bond is the patron and incumbent.

Bond, Rev. Alfred, rector, Rectory

Birch, John, blacksmith

Coulson, Charles, parish clerk

Hare, George, farmer

Hunt, John, builder

Manning, John and William, farmers

Mead, Aaron, Boat inn

Sage, Benjamin, farmer, Wood’s farm

Sage, Joseph, joiner, (Post-office)

Sage, Thomas, shopkeeper, &c.

Venn, Edward Beaumont, Esq., Lodge

Waterman, Henry, farmer

Williams, Hannah, schoolmistress

Copdockis a village and parish 3½ miles S.W. from Ipswich, in Samford Hundred and Union, East Suffolk, Norwich Bishopric.  The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Washbrook annexed.  It is in the gift of Lord Walsingham; the incumbent is the Hon. and Rev. Fred. de Grey, M.A.  The church of St. Peter has a square tower, containing 5 bells.  The population in 1851 was 349.  Lord Walsingham is lord of the manor.

Bickmore, Thomas, farmer

Bond, Mrs. Elizabeth, Copdock house

Bruce, Richard, farmer

Cook, Robert, blacksmith

Davis, Thomas, organist

De Grey, Hon. and Rev. Frederic, M.A.

Edwards, Henry, farmer

Josselyn, James, Eagle

King, George, wheelwright and parish clerk

Marshall, Stephen, farmer, Copdock hall

Mayhew, Samuel, corn miller

Norfolk, James, Mace hall

Pallant, John, thatcher

Plumb, Mr. and Mrs., National school

Salmon, George, butcher

Shepherd, George, shoemaker

Shorten, Charles T. and A. J. veterinary surgeons, New hall and Ipswich

Whight, Robert Frederic, carpenter and victualler, White Elm

Wrattisham, John, Esq., Copdock lodge

A small, pleasant village, 2 miles S. from Ipswich, in Samford Hundred, containing 238 inhabitants.  The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat fabric, with square tower and 3 bells.  The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Crown, and the Rev. Foster Barbara Zincke, A.B., is the present incumbent.

Addison, Daniel, parish clerk

Baxter, Enos Page, victualler, Ostrich inn

Bradbrook, Thomas, woodman

Calver, Edward, carpenter

Frost, Charles, farmer, Parrington hall

Hawes, John, bailiff, Hall

Heigham, George T., Esq., the Grove

Page, Joseph, gardener

Sexton, George, Thorington hall

Sexton, Robert, farmer, Brown hall

Schreiber, Capt. Charles, Blue Gates

Wilsmore, Joseph, blacksmith, Post office

Zincke, Rev. F. B.,B.A., vicar

A parish and village, 3 miles north-east from Ipswich, in Carlford Hundred and Woodbridge Union.  The church ofSt. Martin is an ancient edifice, with square tower, containing 5 bells and clock.  The living is a vicarage, now enjoyed by the Rev. A. Paton, A.M.  The population in 1851 was 425.

Allen, Eli W., farmer

Amass, John, victualler, Fountain

Betts, Charles and Frederic, farmers

Bugg, Samuel, farmer

Chapman, Samuel, farmer

Damant, Arthur, joiner, &c.

Finch, W., shopkeeper

Garnham, John, shopkeeper

Hammond, W., postman to Ipswich

Keer, John, saddler

Kill, George, blacksmith and beer house

Lacey, Robert, farmer

Ling, Samuel, Tuddenham hall

Luff, James, farmer

Luff, James, brick and tile maker

Neve, John, farmer and corn miller

Paton, Rev. Alexander, M.A., Vicarage

Rice, John, maltster

Robinson, Samuel, farmer

Rush, David, farmer

Strait, Isabella Grace, boarding school

Woolnough, W., farmer

A village and parish 2½ miles north of Capel station, 3½ S.W. of Ipswich, in the Samford Hundred and Union, East Suffolk.  The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Copdock, of which the Hon. and Rev. Frederick De Grey, M.A., is the incumbent.  The population in 1851 was 514.  There is a small Wesleyan Chapel, and a Police Station of the East Suffolk Constabulary.

Bishop, Robert, parish clerk

Cant, William, baker and flour dealer

Cattermull, Jonathan, police officer

Catton, Herbert, farmer, Amor hall

Dakin, John, farmer

Dakin, Mercy, farmer

Edwards, George, bricklayer

Game, John, farmer, Birch house

Gentry, James, farmer

Hayward, Edward, provision dealer

Kerridge, Daniel, relieving officer

Lambert, John, shoemaker

Martin, James Darby, Rookery

Minter, Wm. brewer, malster, and victualler, Swan

Nunn, Samuel, shopkeeper

Raw, Mr. John, Washbrook grove

Trent, William, farmer

Twaites, John, shopkeeper

Watcham, John, painter and glazier

Whight, Thomas, joiner, &c.

Meltonis a large and populous village on the river Deben, ½ a mile north-east from Woodbridge, of which it is a suburb, in Wilford Hundred, East Suffolk.  The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely; the Rev. Christopher George Walton, M.A., is the incumbent.  The church, which is situated at a distance from the village, is dedicated to St. Andrew.  About a mile on the left, on the road to Wickham Market, is the County Lunatic Asylum, which was formerly a house of industry for the Loes and Wilford Hundreds, and was purchased by the county magistrates in 1827, and opened in 1829 for the reception of pauper lunatics: John Kirkman, M.D., is the superintendent, and Mr. George Durrant, house steward.  The parish contains 1,420 acres of land, and the population, in 1851, was 1,039, including 269 in the asylum.

Adderson, Mr. Joseph, Retreat

Anderson, Wm. Hennesey, saddler

Aplin, Capt. Richard, Melton lodge

Ashford, Alfred, clerk

Asten, James, beerhouse

Baker, Mr. James

Bilby, Mrs. Sarah

Barrall, George, parish clerk

Bennington, Nathaniel, corn merchant, &c.

Booth, George, tailor

Brooke, Cooper Charles, solicitor, Grove

Buckingham, Mrs. Matilda Sophia

Calver, Thomas, wheelwright

Capon, Francis, butcher

Carthew, Wm. Morden, Esq.

Churchyard, James, gent.

Collins, Thomas, millwright, and Mrs. Eliza

Cook, Wm., brick and tile maker, Wilford Bridge

Culpil, John, wheelwright

Cullum, Samuel, gardener and florist

Durrant, George, steward, Asylum

Durrant, Mrs., milliner

Fisher, Henry, hay and straw dealer

Frost, Francis, farmer

Gillingham, Isaac, victualler, Red Lion

Girling, Horace, iron founder, &c.

Goldsmith, John, farm bailiff

Gwyn, Mrs.

Hayward, Alfred, miller, and corn and coal merchant

Hughes, Rev. Thomas Williams, B.A., chaplain at Asylum

Hunt, John, gent.

Kirkman, Mr. Henry

Kirkman, John, M.D., supt., Asylum

Last, Robert, builder

Leech, Mary, midwife

Miller, Thomas, farmer

Moss, John, joiner, builder, plumber, &c.

Moss, J., blacksmith

Newson, John, farmer

Osborn, Jeremiah, shoemaker

Pratt, Ishmael, horse dealer and vict., Horse and Groom

Page and Girling, ironfounders, engineers, and agricultural implement manufacturers

Page, James, ironfounder, &c.

Provart, Mr. Pp.

Patrick, Noah

Pytches, Major Thomas (deputy lieut.)

Read, Elizabeth, schoolmistress

Reeve, Robert Ashby, solicitor, Fern Villa

Riches, John, baker, &c.

Rout, W., farmer

Sawyer, Edward, baker and brewer

Schreiber, Wm. Fred. jun., Esq., Hill house

Shemmin, David, farm bailiff

Skoulding, William, grocer and draper

Smith, B., farmer

Smith, Edward, vict., Coach and Horses

Thompson and Bennington, corn and coal merchants, seedsmen and maltsters

Thompson, George Edw., h Woodbridge

Walford, Charles, Esq., Foxburgh hall

Walker, John, corn miller

Waller, Mrs. Maria

Wood, John, sen., Esq., Melton hall

Suttonis a village, distant 4 miles S.E. from Woodbridge in Wilford Hundred and Norwich Bishopric, East Suffolk.  The living is a vicarage, value £470.  The Rev. W. Nixon is the incumbent and patron.  The church of All Saints is an ancient stone and brick structure.  There is also a small Baptist Chapel here.  The population, in 1851, was 697.  Thomas Waller, Esq., is lord of the manor.  Chicory is extensively cultivated here.

Barrett, Robert, farmer, Little Hough

Edwards, Henry, Esq., Wood hall

Fairhead, — carpenter and parish clerk

Field, Rev. Robert, M.A., vicar

Freston, George, blacksmith

Garrod, Robert, bailiff

Girling, — Fenhall farm

Kett, Wm. Kell, surgeon

Large, Rev. W., Baptist minister

Nichols, James, corn miller

Roper, Charles, farmer, Vale farm

Skipper, James, shopkeeper

Solomon, Robert, vict., Plough inn

Walker, Isaac, farmer, Cliff

Walker, Nathaniel, farmer, Ferry

Waller, Thomas, Sutton hall

Wolton, Robert, shopkeeper

Bromeswellis a small village and parish, distant 4 miles S. from Wickham Market, and 2 E. from Woodbridge.  The living is a rectory, value £250, in the gift of the Marquis of Bristol.  The Rev. Robert H. King, M.A., is the incumbent.  The church of St. Edmund is a brick structure, with stone tower.  The population in 1851 was 206.

Burrows, Charles, shoemaker and shopkeeper

Burrows, John, farmer

Cook, Thomas, shopkeeper

Denington, George, farmer

Fairs, Samuel, farmer

Fairs, William, farmer

Gobbitt, Mrs., farmer

Goodchild, Robert, parish clerk

King, Rev. Robert H., Rectory

Parker, — victualler, Cherry Tree

Whaley, Mrs., schoolmistress

Bury St. Edmond’s, is a borough, market town, and the capital of West Suffolk, and has railway communication with Ipswich, Norwich, London, &c.  It is 94½ miles from London, 43 miles S.W. from Norwich, 14 miles E. from Newmarket, and 26½ miles N.E. from Ipswich.  Its population in 1841 was 12,538, and in 1851, 13,902.

Bury is supposed to have been the Villa Faustina of the Romans, and became a considerable town of the East English.  It derived its chief fame and importance, however, from becoming the burial-place of St. Edmund the Martyr, King of the East Angles.  The parishes are two, St. Mary’s and St. James’s.  Here are held the spring assizes for Suffolk, and the quarter sessions for the franchise of St. Edmund, of which this is the chief place.  This is the place of election for West Suffolk, and a polling place.  It is a borough, returning two members to Parliament, and has a municipal corporation, with separate jurisdiction, consisting of a mayor and the usual functionaries.  The market days are Wednesdays and Saturdays.  At the former the dealings in corn and cattle are large; the latter is chiefly for provisions.  The fairs are on Easter Tuesday, October 2, and December 1.  The October fair is the great fair, and much resorted to.  The December fair is a great cattle fair.  Bury is a grand market for agricultural produce of all kinds.  The town is well built, and is lighted with gas, and there are some good public buildings and private dwellings.

St. James’s church was not finished till the reign of Edward VI., who gave £200 towards its completion; it was thoroughly repaired in 1820, when a new gallery was added; it has about 2,000 sittings, of which 250 are free; the benefice is a donative, endowed with a stipend, and is in the patronage of Henry Wilson, Esq., of Stowlangtoft Hall, Suffolk; the Hon. Rev. Edward Pellew, M.A., is the present incumbent.  The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was commenced in 1424.  In the chancel is a monument in memory of Mary, daughter of KingHenry VII., first married to Louis XII., King of France, and afterwards to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk; she died at Westhorp, in 1533, and was buried in the abbey church here.  It has been thoroughly repaired, at a cost of between £6,000 and £7,000.  The repairs were made under the superintendence of Mr. Cottingham, architect, Mr. Nash of London, Mr. Farrow of Diss, and the chancel by Mr. Darkin, of this town; it has 2,000 sittings, of which 500 are free.  The benefice is a donative, endowed with a stipend, in the patronage of John Fitzgerald, Esq.; the Rev. Charles James Phipps Eyre, M.A., is the present incumbent.

St. John’s church is an elegant structure, built by subscription at a cost of about £6,000, and consecrated October 21st, 1841; it has 850 sittings, half of which are free.  The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is a perpetual curacy, endowed by the Marquis of Bristol and Earl Jermyn with £100 per annum, out of land at Little Saxham; the Bishop of Ely is patron, and the Rev. Robert Rushdall, M.A., incumbent.

A Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Edmund, was erected here in 1837, from designs by C. Day.  The Grammar School, in Northgate street, was founded by King Edward VI., and is well endowed.  The Norman tower of the grand abbey, erected in the reign of William the Conqueror, and now forming the grand entrance of the churchyard of the two churches, St. James and St. Mary, to the former of which it serves as the bell tower, is considered one of the noblest specimens of Norman architecture in the kingdom, and has undergone a complete repair, under the superintendence of Mr. Cottingham, at an estimated cost of £3,000, contributed by the parish and by public subscription.  King Edward IV. founded a college of priests in College Street, and the building is now occupied as a workhouse.  There were formerly several hospitals in the town, the principal of which are God’s House at Southgate, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist: St. Nicholas’s Hospital, at Eastgate, near the roads leading to Ixworth and Fornham, founded by one of the abbots of Bury; the extensive remains of the hospital and chapel form the principal part of a farm-house: St. Saviour’s Hospital, founded by abbot Sampson, belongs to St. John’s College, Cambridge.  Without Risby Gate stood an hospital dedicated to St. Peter, founded by abbot Anselm in the reign of Henry I.  In the wall forming the eastern boundary of the abbey precinct, are some arches, commonly known by the name of “The Abbot’s Bridge,” which seem intended to form an occasional foot-bridge, by means of planks laid from buttress to buttress, through which there are passages, the greatest distance being about 24 feet.

There are many other vestiges of ancient structures to which the antiquary, and others, will attach considerable interest.  Exclusive of those appropriated to divine worship, are the following: The Shirehall, a modern erection in the churchyard, comprising two convenient courts for the trial of civil and criminal causes.  The Guildhall is for the town court of sessions, and the transaction of the general business of the borough; petty sessions are held here every Thursday.  It is vested in the trustees of the Guildhall feoffment, by whom it is kept in repair:it has an ancient porch, and some portraits of local worthies.  The County Gaol, which serves also for the borough and the liberty of St. Edmund, is an extensive building at Southgate Green, on the London road; it was erected in 1803 at an expense of £30,000, and is calculated to contain 140 prisoners, with a separate bed for each.  The Police Station is a fine specimen of a Norman house; the age of its erection is obvious from its general appearance and circular windows.  The Theatre, a neat structure in Westgate Street, was opened for dramatic performances in October, 1819.  The Subscription Rooms, on the south side of Angel hill, comprise ball, billiard, and reading rooms, and were completed in 1804, at an expense of about £5,000.  There is an exceeding good public library at the Guildhall, which contains many valuable books.  The Botanic Garden, the entrance to which is under that magnificent remain, the Abbey Gate, is an important acquisition to this branch of scientific study; it was established in 1820, and is under the superintendence of N. S. Hodson, Esq.  The Suffolk Hospital is a handsome structure in an open and healthful situation; it has been repaired and enlarged by adding considerably to the wings.

Adams, Mrs. Elizabeth, Guildhall street

Andrews, Mr. Peter, Risbygate street

Barton, Mr. John, College street

Barton, Miss Mary Ann, Hatter street

Beard, Charles, Esq., Risbygate street

Bedford, Rev. William, Northgate street

Bevan, James J., Northgate house, Northgate street

Beales, Mr. William, Low Baxter street

Blyth, Mr. James, Churchgate street

Botwright, Mrs. Sophia, Angel hill

Bullock, Misses, Loomes lane

Bridgeman, Thomas, Esq., Risbygate street

Chapman, Mr. William, St. Andrew’s street

Chapman, Mr. John, Well street

Clodd, Mrs. Louisa, Northgate street

Collett, Mrs. Harriet, Angel hill

Cook, Mr. James, Union terrace

Cook, Mr. Benjamin, Salem cottage, Cemetery road

Cooper, Thomas White, Esq.

Crosbie, John, Esq., Crown street

Daubeny, Mrs. Elizabeth, Angel hill

Denton, Thomas, Esq., Churchgate street

Denny, Mrs. Mary Ann, Crown street

Dotton, William, Esq., Northgate street

Edwards, John, Risbygate street

Filby, Miss Matilda, Honey hill

Filby, Miss Mary, Union terrace

Flint, Mrs. Ann, Brentgovel street

Forte, Miss Caroline, Guildhall street

Gedge, Johnson, Esq., Northgate street

Gilly, Mrs. Jane C. M., Northgate street

Girling, Mr. Thomas, Garland street.

Gray, Mrs. Maria, Northgate street

Goodchild, Mr. Edward, Risbygate street

Green, Edward, Westgate street

Hare, the Rev. C. J. P., Crown street

Harvey, Mr. Robert, Westgate road

Hibble, Mrs. Hannah, Union terrace

Hickman, Rev. Thomas G., chaplain to the Hospital and Union, h Westgate street

Hine, Thomas, Esq., Loomes lane

Holworthy, Mrs. Sarah, Crown street

Hubbard, Capt. William, Northgate str.

Jones, Mrs. Maria, Union terrace

Lathbury, Miss Mary Ann, Angel hill

Lines, Mrs. Mary Ann, Garland street

Lock, Mrs. Sarah, Cemetery road

Lumley, Mrs. Elizabeth, Crown street

Matthew, Mrs. S., St. John’s terrace, Well street

Mc’Gregor, John, captain and adjutant of the West Suffolk Militia, Southgate street

Miller, Mr. Dearson John, Garland street

Mitchell, Mrs. Eleanor, Angel hill

Motlock, Miss Gertrude, Crown street

Muskett, Jno, Esq., Abbey ruins, Churchyard

Moore, George, Esq., Northgate street

Nunn, Frederic, Westgate street

Oliver, Mrs. Elizabeth, 97, Risbygate street

Paine, Miss Hannah, Northgate street

Palfry, Mrs. Sophia, Cornhill

Pellew, Hon. and Rev. Edward, Northgate street

Potts, Mrs. Ann, Westgate street

Probart, Dr. Francis G., Westgate street

Pozey, Mrs. Margaret, St. John’s terrace, Wells street

Quitter, Mrs. P., Angel hill

Rayner, James, Risbygate street

Reeves, Mrs. Emma, Well street, St. John’s terrace

Ridley, Mrs. Mary, Northgate street

Rumbelow, Mr. John, Angel hill

Rushdall, Rev. Robert, St. John’s parsonage, St. John’s street

Sale, Mrs. Hannah, St. John’s terrace, Wells street

Shelford, Mrs. Emily F., St. Mary’s square

Sidebottom, Edward, Esq., 99, Risbygate street

Smith, the Misses Frances, Jane, and Ann, St. Mary’s square

Stutter, Mrs. Catherine Jane, St. John’s terrace, Well street

Sutton, Mrs. Hannah Maria, Union terrace

Sutton, Frederic, Esq., Westgate street

Symonds, Misses Eleanor and Elizabeth, 12, Brentgovel street

Walsham, Sir John, Court house, Honey hill

Wastell, Misses Fanny and Isabella, Northgate street

Walton, Mr. W., St. John’s terrace, Well street

Wells, Rev. E. C., St. Mary’s square

Weston, Miss Juliana, Honey hill

Williams, Mr. William, Union terrace

Wing, Mrs. Henry, Guildhall street

Worlledge, John, sen., Esq., Chevington

Wollaston, Col. Charles, Northgate street

Woods, Mrs. Harriet, Angel hill

Wratislaw, Rev. A., School hall, Northgate street

Wright, Miss Ann, Cemetery road

Abbott, Jane, milliner, Churchgate street

Abbott, Frederick, butcher, Angel hill

Allen, James, baker, Ramgate street

Allen, Daniel, St. Edmond’s Head, Cannon place

Allsop, George, shoeing smith, Tayphin road

Armstrong, William, printer, &c., Northgate street

Armes, Jonathan, King’s Arms inn, Brentgovel street

Armes, Lucy, straw bonnet maker, College street

Armstrong, Robert, boot and shoe maker, out Westgate

Backhouse, Henry, corn and hay dealer, Risbygate street

Backhouse, James, corn and seed merchant, Brentgovel street

Baker, Henry, baker, Whiting street

Baker, Joseph, baker, Westgate road

Baker, John, White Lion inn, Brentgovel street

Baker, Elizabeth, ladies’ boarding school, the Abbey, Angel hill

Baker, William, Three Tuns, Crown street

Baker, Thomas, the Castle inn, Cornhill

Balaam, Charles, the Grapes inn, Brentgovel street

Baldwin, James, shopkeeper, Cemetery road

Baldwin, James, the Bushel, St. John’s street

Balls, Thomas, Royal Oak, Tayphin road

Balls, John, fruiterer, Abbeygate street

Bilson, William, gunmaker and ornithologist, Abbeygate street

Banham, John, Three Crowns inn, Southgate street

Barely, Spencer, boot and shoe maker, Southgate street

Barker, Horace, publisher of theBury and Norwich Post, Northgate street

Barnard, Benjamin, blacksmith, Butts

Barnard, William, grocer, Whiting street

Barrell, Henry, baker, Northgate street

Barrell, Henry, baker, Risbygate street

Barrett, John, nurseryman, florist, &c., Cotton lane

Barton, John, Clerk of the Peace, Hatter street

Barton, Martha, milliner and dress-maker, Churchgate street

Barton, Robert, County Court Bailiff, Churchgate street

Barton, Frederick, bookbinder, Churchgate street

Battley, Maria, ladies’ day school, Westgate road

Baxter, Thomas, watch and clock maker, Hatter street

Baxter, Samuel, cutler, St. John’s street

Baxter, Mrs. Eliza, grocer and tea dealer, Angel hill

Baxter, William, cork manufacturer, Whiting street

Bear, Thomas M., iron and brass founder, shops Cornhill; h Well street

Beckford, Bevan, Esq., banker, Guildhall street

Bedells, Samuel C., grocer and tea dealer, Cornhill

Bellmam, William, shopkeeper, St. John’s street

Betts, Samuel, butcher, Churchgate street

Betts, E., confectioner, St. John’s street

Bethel, Emma, milliner and dressmaker, Churchgate street

Biggs, Isabella, stay maker, Meat market

Biles, George, watch and clock maker, Churchgate street

Bird, Ann, shopkeeper, St. John’s street

Bird, Thomas, grocer and tea dealer, Southgate street

Bishop, John, Saracen’s Head, Guildhall street

Blake, George H., Esq., High Bailiff of County Court, out Eastgate street

Boby, Robert, ironmonger, Cornhill

Bowles and Rushbrook, whitesmiths and shoeingsmiths, St. Andrew’s street

Brabrook, James, basket and sieve maker, Risbygate street

Brabrook, James, brazier, St. John’s street

Brabrook, William, Blackbirds, Bridewell lane

Braddock, Henry, brewer and maltster, Southgate street

Bradbury, John, cabinet maker, Risbygate street

Brame, John, pork shop, Low Baxter street

Brett, John, currier, Churchgate street

Brewster, John, grocer, Southgate street

Brewster, John, builder, Southgate street

Brewster, Robert, baker and general shopkeeper, Westgate road

Branch, Mary, fancy repository, Abbeygate street

Bridges and Son, coach builders, Sparhawk street

Bridge, Benjamin, grocer, Southgate str.

Bridgman, John, Angel family and commercial hotel, Angel hill

Britton, John, boot and shoe maker, St. John’s street

Brook, Henry W., corn chandler, Southgate street

Brooke, William L., solicitor, Risbygate street

Brown, Caroline E., milliner, Abbeygate street

Brown, Susan, day school, Churchgate street

Brown, Frederick E., boot and shoe maker, Abbeygate street

Brown, Henry, Beehive, College street

Bruce, Susan, Plough, Southgate street

Bryant, John, cutler, &c., Traverse

Buckle, James, Wheat Sheaf, Cemetery road

Bull, Benjamin, builder, Church road

Bullock, Walter, shopkeeper, Mustow street

Bullock, R. W., ginger-beer manufacturer, Northgate street

Bullens, T. G., upholsterer, auctioneer, house agent, and agent to the Pelican and Phœnix Fire Offices, Market hill

Burroughes, Robert, Fox inn, Eastgate street

Burroughes, Charles, boarding and day school for young gentlemen, Mustow street

Byford, Elizabeth, dress and stay maker, Guildhall street

Cambridge, John, jun., solicitor, offices Brentgovel street; h Risbygate street

Cann, Honoria, shopkeeper, Garland str.

Caney, Richard, fruiterer, Traverse

Caney, Richard, fruiterer, Cornhill

Carter, W., grocer and tea dealer, Hatter street

Carter, William Henry, tobacconist and hair dresser, St. John’s street

Carliell, Charles, builder, Crown street

Carver, Daniel, Bull inn, Angel hill

Cooper, Isaac, corn and seed merchant, St. John’s street

Catton, Charles, broker, St. John’s street

Cattermole, Martha, dress maker, Risbygate street

Cattermole, Emma, straw bonnet maker, Risbygate street

Challis, Thomas, painter, plumber, and glazier, Westgate road

Chapman, Thomas, carpenter, St. John’s street

Chapman, W. and S., clothiers, Butter market

Childs, George, grocer and clothier, Guildhall street

Childs, Joseph, whitesmith, bell hanger, and gas fitter, Churchgate street

Childs, Maria, milliner and fancy worker, Churchgate street

Clark, the Misses, day and boarding school, Guildhall street

Clark, Frederick, King’s Head inn, Brentgovel street

Clark, Henry, watchmaker, Southgate street

Clark, George, tailor and draper, Cornhill

Clark, Frederick, wine and spirit stores, St. John’s street

Clark, James W., tax collector, Whiting street

Clarke, John, tailor and draper, Crown street

Clarke, G. and R., coach builders, Crown street

Clarke, Alexander, shopkeeper, Cannon place

Clarke, James, fishmonger, poulterer, and dealer in game, Abbeygate street

Clarke, Alfred M., hairdresser, Abbeygate street

Clarke, William, boot and shoe maker, Cornhill

Clarke, Isaac, butcher, St. Andrew’s str.

Clarke, John, brewer and maltster, Risbygate street

Clayton, Eld Edmund, linen draper, &c., shop Butter market; h Guildhall street

Clements, Samuel, Six Bells commercial and family hotel, Chequers’ square

Cocksedge, Sarah Ann, Queen’s Head, Churchgate street

Cocksedge, William, Sedgman house, Tayphin road

Coe, Jane, dressmaker, Westgate road

Coe, Thomas, surgeon, Guildhall street

Coe, John, plumber, glazier, and painter, Guildhall street

Coe, William, painter, plumber, and glazier, Low Baxter street

Coe, Walter, veterinary surgeon, St. Andrew’s street

Collins, Robert, Stag and Dog, College street

Cooper, William, surgeon, Guildhall street

Cooper, John, boot and shoe maker, Brentgovel street

Cooke, John, hat manufacturer, Abbeygate street

Cook, James, net maker, Northgate street

Cook, John, miller, Southgate street

Copping, Robert H., plumber, &c., Whiting street

Cornish and Sons, iron and brass founders, engineers, and machine makers, Whiting street

Cornish, Simeon, Woolpack inn, Cornhill

Cotton, Richard, veterinary surgeon, St. Andrew’s street, north

Collins, Thomas, Clerk of County Court, Angel hill

Crane, William, coach builder, Mustow street

Crane, Francis, Coachmakers’ Arms, Raingate street

Craske, Charlotte, hosiery warehouse, Butter market

Crassweller, William E., chemist, druggist, and dentist, Abbeygate street

Cremer, John, clothier, Northgate street

Crick, James, butcher, St. John’s street

Crick, Robert, blacksmith and broker, Southgate street

Croft, John, surveyor and land agent, Hatter street

Crowe, Elizabeth E., milliner and dress maker, Brentgovel street

Cullem, John, Fox and Hounds, and shopkeeper, Brackland

Curry, Frederick, boot and shoe maker, Well street

Dallison, William, boot and shoe maker, High Baxter street

Dalton, J. H., Three Goats Head, Guildhall street

Dalton, Rowland, surgeon, Whiting street

Dalton, John, surgeon and apothecary, Whiting street

Darken, George, stonemason, Westgate road

Day, Robert, grocer, Southgate street

Death, Daniel, baker, Southgate street

Death, Fanny, ladies’ day and boarding school, Angel hill

Death, Henry, baker, St. John’s street

Deasley, John, Ten Bells, Whiting street

Devereux, Richard, trunk manufacturer, Cemetery road

Devereux, Charlotte, shopkeeper, Risbygate street

De Carle, Benjamin, stone and marble mason, Sparhawk street

Denovan, John, grocer, tea and coffee dealer, Abbeygate street

Doe, John, furniture broker, Angel hill

Dooley, Sophia, Jolly Waggoner, Mustow street

Downs, Jane, general dealer, Butter market

Downs, John, clothier, Westgate street

Drake, Robert, Seven Stars, Long Brackland

Dudley, William, architect and surveyor, Cemetery road

Dyball, John, boot and shoe maker, Butter market

Edgar, Robert, travelling tea dealer and draper, Hospital road

Ellis, Thomas, pork butcher, Brentgovel street

Ellis, George, Coach and Horses, School Hall street

Ellis, John, linen draper, Guildhall street

Earl, Samuel, plasterer, Guildhall street

Elven, Cornelius, jun., coal merchant, Whiting street

Elven, Rev., Cornelius, Baptist minister, Whiting street

Emanuels, Money, tobacconist, Churchgate street

Emerson, James and Son, builders and stonemasons, Well street

English, Mary Ann, news agent, St. John’s street

Everard, John P., wool merchant and tanner, Southgate street

Everard, Lucy, Suffolk commercial hotel, Butter market

Fake, John, the Dragon, Cemetery road

Fake, Thomas, builder, Loomes lane

Falkerd, Samuel, hairdresser and dealer in clothes, Guildhall street

Farrow, Thomas, builder, Churchyard

Farrow, Thomas, stonemason and builder, Westgate street

Fenton, Reuben, broker and auctioneer, Meat Market

Fergusson, Robert, manager of the National Provincial Bank of England; and Henry James Graves, accountant

Fenton, George, general broker, Market hill

Fitch, John B., grocer, Cornhill

Fletcher, Frederick, grocer and tea dealer, Risbygate street

Flynn, William, draper and tea dealer, Risbygate street

Footer, William, builder, Sparhawk street

Freelove, William, grocer, Guildhall str.

Frewer and Son, plumbers, glaziers, and painters, Chequers square

Frost, Henry, builder, &c., College str.

Frost, Thomas, shopkeeper, Mill lane

Frost, John, leather currier, &c., Crown street

Fuller, William, printer, bookseller, &c., Butter Market

Galley, William, watch and clock maker, St. John’s street

Gallant, Thomas, glover, &c., Southgate street

Garwood, Thomas, Railway hotel, Northgate street

Garrod, George, watchmaker, Westgate street

Gardener, Henry, Half-Moon commercial inn, 28, Butter Market

Gedge, Johnson, proprietor ofBury Post, Hatter street

Gibbs, William, confectioner, Cornhill

Gilmour, Francis, Rose and Crown, Westgate street

Green, John F., solicitor, Abbey Ruins

Green, Jonathan, Three Bulls, Meat Market

Greene, Edward, Westgate brewery, Westgate street

Grayson, Matthew, seed merchant, Cornhill

Grayston, Eliza, glass and china warehouse, Butter Market

Graves, Eliza, straw hat and dressmaker, Westgate street

Graves, Robert, tailor and woollen draper, Abbeygate street

Grange, William, baker, Guildhall street

Gross, William, chemist, Chequers square

Gowing, Ellis S., commercial traveller, Lower Baxter street

Goodwin, James, boot and shoe maker, Eastgate street

Goodrich, Joseph, saddle and harness maker, Abbeygate street

Godbald, S. A., ladies’ day school, Brentgovel street

Godbold, Kezia, dressmaker, Brentgovel street

Goldsmith, Mary, butcher, Butter Market

Goldsmith, David, ironmonger, Market hill

Goff, Ezekiel, Star inn, Mustow street

Golder, Simon, builder, Cemetery road

Goodwin, George, plumber and glazier, Northgate street


Back to IndexNext