King, James, receiver, Globe Inn.
Letters received from Norwich, ¼ past 7 a.m., and dispatched ¼ past 5 p.m.
Clerk to Magistrates and Union, W. H. Codling.Registrar, Peter Eade, junr., Surgeon.Relieving Officer, Jehosaphat Postle.Superintendent Registrar, W. H. Codling.Assistant Overseer and General Collector, Richard R. Gapp.
A long, straggling village, adjoining Brundall station, and extending 1¾ miles further E. by S., 7 miles E. of Norwich, and 126½ from London, in Blofield hundred, East Norfolk; containing about 160 inhabitants, and 510 acres of land, chiefly the property of T. G. Tuck, Esq., the lord of the adjoining manor, who farms the principal part of the land. The church of St. Michael is a handsome building with square tower, principally of flint, situated in a meadow half a mile N.E. of the village. The living is a rectory consolidated with Strumpshaw, and the incumbent is the Rev. E. S. Whitbread.
Agus, Sarah, victualler, White Horse
Chapman, Mary, shopkeeper
Gilbert, T. W., Esq., hall
Laws, William, shopkeeper
Miller, Wm. Chas., land agent
Postle, John, coal merchant
Smith James, blacksmith
A parish in Henstead hundred, East Norfolk, beautifully situated 2 miles west of Rockland, 118 miles from London, and 4¾ S.E. of Norwich station. The population in 1851 was 227, and it contains 728 acres of rich land, belonging to several owners, the largest of whom is John Blake, Esq., who resides at the Hall, a mansion facing the common, which has been recently enclosed. The church of St. Peter is an ancient structure, rebuilt in 1462; it has a square tower, ornamented with small spires at each corner. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Robert Fellowes, Esq. The Rev. Edmund Blake is the incumbent, who resides in the rectory house adjoining the church. Here is a small Free School.
Balls, Robert, H., cattle salesman
Beaumont, Robert, farmer
Beaumont, Henry, carpenter
Blake, John, Esq., hall
Blake, Rev. Edmund, M.A., rectory
Forder, John, shopkeeper
Frost, James, gardener
Miller, James, farmer
Orsborne, Jacob, farmer
Reeve, John, gardener
Rudd, Robert, farmer
Todd, David, blacksmith
Tubbs, William, farmer
Turner, Samuel, victualler, Wood’s End ferry
Wilde, William, coroner for the City of Norwich
A parish and pleasant village on a bold elevation above the Yare, nine miles E. by S. of Norwich, comprises 907 acres of land, 12 houses, and 56 souls. Sir Wm. B. Proctor, Bart. owns all the land (except 37a. of glebe), and is lord of the manor, and patron of the living. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, a venerable structure, with an octagonal tower, was thoroughly repaired in 1820.
Beauchamp, Rev. Henry Thomas, rectory
Green, John, farmer
Layton, Charles, victualler, Three Horse Shoes
Waters, Benjamin, farmer, White Horse
A small and scattered village and parish, in Henstead hundred, East Norfolk; distant 2 miles from Swainsthorpe station, 110 from London, and 3 miles from Norwich; contained in 1851, 154 inhabitants, and 1020 acres of land. This unimportant village was once a flourishing city and fortified town, also a Roman station of great importance; traces of its walls, &c., are still to be seen. The church is a small building, and the living is a rectory in the gift of Mrs. Dashwood, of Caistor Hall, who is also lady of the manor; the incumbent is the Rev. John Arthy.
Caistor is supposed to be the capital of the Iceni, a Belgic tribe, and was by the Romans called Venta Icenorum; and for distinction, Castrum, the camp, whence the East English on their conquest of the country, called it Caistor. Many Roman antiquities have been found here, and the camp and Roman tower were preserved from intended destruction by a railway.
Arthy, Rev. John, M.A., rectory
Cogman, John, blacksmith
Cullin, Thomas, farmer, French farm
Dashwood, Mrs. Harriet, the Hall
Davey, Alfred, carpenter and wheelwright
Hewitt, Benjamin, gardener
King, Alfred, farmer
Spurrell, James, farmer, Old Hall
Williamson, Thomas, High Ash
Carlton St. Mary, orEast Carlton, is a parish and scattered village, in Humbleyard hundred and Henstead Union, East Norfolk; distant from Swainsthorpe station 2 miles N.W., and Norwich 5 miles S.W. by S., containing 284 inhabitants in 1851, and 1,116 acres of land.
The Church of St. Peter went to ruins in 1550, but its discharged Rectory, valued at £140, still remains as a sinecure in the gift of the crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Barker, of Lakenhall, in Suffolk.
The Church of St. Mary is a small edifice with a short tower surmounted with a wooden spire. The living is a Rectory, valued, in the King’s book, at £4, and in 1831 at £181, in the patronage of the Norwich Charity Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. Robert John Francis, for whom the Rev. Frederic Cavill officiates.
Aldborough, William, gardener
Bunting, John, wheelwright
Cavill, Rev. Frederick
Freestone, Edward, attorney, Lodge
Forster, William, blacksmith
Huggins, William, farmer
Points, William, farmer
Richards, James, farmer
Smith, Mr. Matthew, Carlton house
Steward, Rev. John Henry
Thrower, Isaac, shoemaker
Cattonis a picturesque village, containing many very pretty seats, about 2½ miles N. of Norwich Station, and 116 miles from London, with 900 acres of land; and in 1851, a population of 618. This being a short distance from the City of Norwich, many opulent merchants have residences here.
The Church of St. Margaret is a very neat and pretty building, with an ancient round tower, octagonal at the top. The inside of the church is in excellent repair; it was enlarged and beautifully restored in 1850–1852, at the expence of nearly £1,000, and contains some good specimens of carving and stained glass. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and the vicar is the Rev. Richard Hart, B.A. There are several bequests for the poor; also a Free School, supported by subscription.
Attoe, George, lime burner
Badcock, William, blacksmith
Barker, William, farmer
Belman, Rev.
Chamberlin, Robert, Esq.
Cooke, Henry, Esq.
Cuddon, James, Esq.
Dickson, Owen, farmer
Foulsham, Miss
Gurney, John Henry, Esq., M.P.
Guymer, Joseph, carpenter and wheelwright
Guymer, Richard, carpenter, parish clerk
Guymer, William, senr., carpenter
Guymer, William, junr., carpenter
Hart, Rev. Richard, vicar
Hawtayne, Admiral
Heath, Charles, Esq.
Hind, Ephraim, farmer
Hipper, Robert, Maid’s Head
Holmes, Edmund, licensed to let horses and flys for hire
Howald, John, boot and shoemaker
Jackson, Samuel, tailor
Minty, Miss Mary
Neale, William, blacksmith
Newman, Mrs. Mary A., laundress
Orsborne, Mark, the Woodman
Paul, William, shoemaker, George inn
Plowman, Robert, saddler, Magpie inn
Potter, Ambrose, grocer
Powley, Jonathan, Royal Oak
Rackham, Thomas H., solicitor
Springfield, Osborn, Esq.
Walker, Thomas, baker
Costessey, a parish and town corrupted intoCossey, is pleasantly situated 4½ miles N.W. of Norwich. The Hall is the seat of Lord Stafford, and stands in an extensive park, close to the Wensum. A fine sheet of water crosses the park.
The Church of St. Edmund, 1½ mile east of the hall, is a large building with square tower and lofty wooden spire. The living is a perpetual Curacy, in the gift of the Trustees of the Great Hospital, and enjoyed by the Rev. James William Evans, M.A., who resides here. There is a National School, a large Roman Catholic School, and a handsome Roman Catholic Chapel. The Baptists have a Chapel.
Baker, B., butcher
Banham, James, well-sinker
Banham, William, farmer and butcher
Barker, Robert, farmer
Bealey, Thomas, shopkeeper and wheelwright
Blowers, John, land agent, Hall
Cannell, Jacob, butcher
Cole, William, gardener
Culley, Henry Utting, corn miller
Culley, John, farmer
Cushion, William, shoemaker
Evans, Rev. James W., Cottage
Fairman, Benjamin, basket-maker
Frost, Philip, National school
Grant, Joseph, glass-stainer
Gunton, Edward, victualler, Red Lion
Gunton, George, brickmaker
Hall, Horatio, druggist and grocer
Harman, James, farmer, Park
Harman, Leonard, spirit merchant
Hastings, Edward, carpenter
Hastings, William, carpenter
Howard, Peter, farmer
Hudson, James, victualler, Falcon
Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., D.D. (Catholic)
Ivory, Rev. John, (Baptist)
Jewell, Samuel, veterinary surgeon
Kidd, S. L. S., bricklayer and lime-burner
Kidd, Mr. Thomas
Laws, Mark, shoemaker
Ling, Daniel, farmer
Lovett, Mary, farmer
Martin, Edmund, farmer
Miller, John, beerhouse
Norman, John, bricklayer and limeburner
Perry, John L., grocer and draper
Rising, Robert C., farmer, Lodge
Sadler, John, shoemaker
Savage, George, saddler
Sidney, Robert C., shopkeeper
Sisson, Thomas, victualler, Black Swan
Smith, Charles, registrar of marriages
Sparks, Mary, British school
Spaul, John, tailor
Spaul, John, shopkeeper
Taylor, Mrs., victualler, White Hart
Taylor, John, watchmaker (victualler), the Bush
Taylor, Wm., farmer
Watcham, Charles, butcher
White, John, gamekeeper, Park
Whiteman, Richard, woodman
Whighton, John, gardener
Wymer, Harriet, National school
Carrier to Norwich, Mrs. Whighton, Wednesday and Saturday.
A small village and parish in Humbleyard hundred, about 2½ miles south-west of Norwich, near Hethersett Station, and 120 miles from London. It contains nearly 1000 acres of land, and the population in 1851 was 189.
The Church of St. Peter is a neat building with a square tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Trustees of theGreat Hospital, Norwich; the incumbent is the Rev. Edward Priest, B.A. There is a large corn mill, of ancient establishment, on the river Yare, and a good bridge.
Burton, William, toll-keeper
Candler, Horatio, miller
Canham, Mr., farmer
Cracknell, John, wheelwright and smith
Davie, Rev. W. C.
Drane, William, farmer
Pagenstecher, G., Ph. D.
Priest, Rev. E. B., B.A.
Smith, Rev. William
A compact and pleasant village in Taverham hundred, East Norfolk, and the vale of the river Wensum. It is situated about 4 miles N.W. of Norwich station, and 117½ from London. The church of St. Margaret is a plain building with thatched roof. A new tower has just been erected; the inside contains several monuments. The living, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, is a rectory consolidated with Hellesdon, and held by the Rev. Thomas Calthorpe Blofield, M.A., incumbent, who resides at the Rectory, a neat dwelling. There are a Baptist Chapel, and a Free School for boys and girls. The parish contains 1,284 acres of land, and in 1851 the population was 472.
Adcock, Edmund, farmer
Adcock, William, shoemaker
Arger, John, pork butcher
Arger, William, gardener and butcher
Beasey, John, shoemaker
Blyth, Matthew, beer retailer
Blyth, Matthew, junr., carpenter
Blyth, William, carpenter
Bradshaw, Fras. G. and F. W., Esqrs., D. house
Bunn, Samuel, farmer
Buttle, Henry, shopkeeper
Cannell, John, blacksmith
Collins, William, victualler, Red Lion
Fenn, Robert, shoemaker
French, Ann, farmer
Green, Rev. J. Spurgeon, curate, M.A.
Hipper, Thomas, butcher
Howard, Jeremiah, flour and saw mills
Laton, Charles Henry, Esq., Lodge
March, John, shopkeeper
Mumford, George, gardener
Oxley, Misses Elizabeth and Margaret
Thomas, Robert, carpenter and victualler, Cock
West, John, beerhouse
A small parish on the river Tas, in Humbleyard hundred, distant from Swainsthorpe station 2 miles N.E., and from Norwich 4 miles; contained, in 1851, 126 inhabitants, and 613 acres of land, principally the property of Robert Kellett Long, Esq., of Dunston Hall, who is also lord of the manor. The church of St. Remigius is a small building; it has a brass in the chancel.
Brighton, Robert, cottager
Byles, Benjamin, farmer
Fish, Mr. John
Lincoln, Jeremiah, farm bailiff
Long, Robert Kellett, Esq., the Hall
Moy, John, tea-dealer
Symonds, Robert, gardener
Wenn, Rev. J. W., curate
A small village and parish in the county of Norwich, from which city and station it is distant 2 miles south-west. The dean and chapter of Norwich are lords of the manor, which contains about 1,300 acres of land. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The population in 1851 was 785. Rev. George Day, incumbent.
Ewing, John William, nurseryman, seedsman, and limeburner
Fish, Miles, boot and shoemaker, Cellar House
George, Thomas William, licensed brewer
Jeffries, John, butcher
Newson, Henry, grocer and tea-dealer
Nixon, Robert, the Lamb
Starrad, James, Red Lion
Thirkettle, William, blacksmith
Webb, William, grocer, post office
Great Melton, 3 miles N. of Hethersett station, and 5½ west of Norwich, with 393 inhabitants, and 2,540 acres of land. The church of St. Mary has a square tower, built in 1440, containing 3 bells. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge; and the incumbent is the Rev. Charles Eyers.
Andrews, John, carpenter
Bloom, Thomas, farmer
Burrell, John, farmer
Cox, Alfred, smith and victualler, Green Man
Eyers, Rev. Charles, rectory
Gee, Mary Ann, school-teacher
Howard, Matthew, farmer
Howett, William, gardener
Pearson, George and James, farmer
Reynolds, John, farmer
Rose, Philip, farmer
Rose, Mr. Thomas
Sutton, Wm., farmer
A small village and parish in Blofield hundred, East Norfolk, distant from Norwich 5 miles east; the population was returned in 1851, at 359 inhabitants.
The church of St. Mary is a plain building, partly of brick. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich; the incumbent is the Rev. Edward Cole.
Abigail, Samuel, farmer
Brown, Robert, farmer
Campbell, Fras. Alex., Esq.
Chenery, Robert, machine maker
Clarke, Jonathan, shoemaker
Cockrell, John, blacksmith
Cole, Rev. Edward, curate
Foster, Mr. Francis
Gedge, William, carpenter
Gooch, Thomas, carpenter
Goose, William, farmer
Gostling, John, farmer
Hambleton, John, farmer
King, Randall, farmer
Lond, Thomas, shoemaker
Maidstone, Jonathan, shopkeeper
Maidstone, Robert, farmer
Newman, Robert, farmer
Pile, Henry, victualler, Hare
Scott, Jonathan, farmer
Summons, Francis, shoemaker
Sutton, Thomas, smith and farrier
Hellesdon, orHellesden, situated in Taverham hundred, about 2 miles N.W. of Norwich station, and 115½ from London, and lying in a vale on the verge of the Wensum. In 1851 the population was 467, but a great part is at Hellesdon hamlet, in the county of the city of Norwich. There is a small but neat church, dedicated to St. Mary; it is square built, without a tower, but has a neat wooden belfry and spire. The living, a Rectory consolidated with that of Drayton, is in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and the incumbent is the Rev. T. C. Blofield. There is a large corn mill; and a National School was erected in Hellesdon hamlet in 1852.
Those marked * reside in the Hamlet.
* Abbs, Isaac, shopkeeper
* Armes, Timothy, cowkeeper
* Baker, Timothy, corn miller
* Baldry, John, gardener
* Basey, John, cowkeeper
* Batson, Edward, corn miller
* Beales, Mr. Robert
* Bleakley, Elizabeth, farmer
Blyth, James, carpenter
* Brown, Rev. Philip Utting
* Clarke, Horace J., manufacturer
* Clement, Gallant, gardener
Cross, George farmer
Delane, Mr. William
Denington, Job, gardener
Gowing, George, farmer, Old Hall
* Greenfield, Samuel, gardener
Holman, Josiah, blacksmith
* Kenney, Mr. Edward
* Knopwood, John, victualler, Windmill
* Lemmon, Edward, shoemaker
* Lock, Miss Elizabeth
* Porrett, William, butcher
* Reynolds, Joshua, corn miller
Sharman, Mr. John
* Steward, Samuel W. P., brickmaker
* Tallowin, Josiah, victualler, Mile Cross
* Upton, James, gardener
Wells, W. H., corn miller
White, George, grocer
* Wright, Harriet, schoolmistress
A railway station, and neat and extensive village and parish on the Ely and Norwich railway, in Humbleyard hundred, East Norfolk, distant from London 120 miles, Wymondham 5 miles, and 6 from Norwich. There are several donations bequeathed by different parties, principally for the benefit of the poor of this parish, which are distributed annually. Petty Sessions are held at the Queen’s Head. Here are Chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; also a National School for boys and girls, which are both well attended, conducted by Mr. and Mrs. Curson.
The church, which is plain, with a square tower and small wooden spire, has five bells. The living is a rectory, with Canteloff annexed, in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. The Oak of Reformation, under which Kett and the Norfolk rebels took their Oath of Covenant in 1549, is still alive. The number of acres is 2,635, and the population 1,209. The station is in Ketteringham, about a mile distant.
Andrew, Rev. William W.
Back, Henry, farmer
Baker, Benjamin, farmer
Bale, Thomas, poulterer
Blomfield, Miles, farmer, Holly Farm
Brown, Edward, farmer
Buckingham, Nicholas, farmer
Clarke, Julia, grocer, tea dealer, and draper
Clarke, Rowland, baker
Cullingham, John, boot and shoe-maker
Cursons, John, boot and shoe-maker, parish clerk
Curson, Smith, National Schoolmaster
Davey, Robert, farmer
Dickman, John
Emms, Mrs., tuscan and straw bonnet maker
Fish, John
Fisk, Edward, harness maker
Ford, William, butcher, King’s Head
Fox, James, Greyhound
Gurney, Mrs. Mary, Thickthorne Hall
Guyton, Henry, miller
Hoste, Lady
Hurn, Thomas, blacksmith
Langford, Captain George
Lofty, Jeremiah, builder
Morter, William, glover, boot and shoemaker
Parker, Lofty, Queen’s Head and post-office
Reynolds, Susanna, grocer
Richardson, Hardiman, farmer
Secret, William, pensioner
Sewell, Mrs.
Sharman, Thomas, tailor and draper
Smith, James, farmer
Smith, James, jun., farmer
Stannard, William, farmer
Thrower, James, veterinary surgeon
Traxton, James, tailor and draper
Thraxton, Richard, carpenter
Worgate, T. S., Esq.
Youngman, William, miller
Hillington, orHellington. A parish and small village, 7 miles S.E. from Norwich, is in Loddon hundred and Clavering Union, East Norfolk, containing 87 inhabitants. The area of the parish is 516 acres, which belong to Miss Barham, J. Marcom, Esq., Richard Denny,Esq. and Doughty’s Hospital, Norwich. The church of St. John the Baptist is small, with a round tower.
Barham, Judith
Hurrell, John, butcher
Martin, William, farmer
Thorpe, Robert, butcher
A village and parish in the hundred of Forehoe, East Norfolk, distant from Norwich and East Dereham 8 miles. This parish contains 232 inhabitants, and 2,522 acres of land. The church of St. Andrew is a small building; the rectory is in the gift of the Rev. George Bayning. Here is a National School.
Balls, Thomas, farmer
Bayning, Rt. Hon. and Rev. Lord
Beckett, William, gardener and shopkeeper
Child, James, blacksmith
Doubleday, Elizabeth, milliner
Ephraim, Job, national school
Gooch, Stephen, farmer
Grand, Charles, shoemaker
Grand, John, tailor
Hipkin, Stephen, farmer
Neeve, Robert Johnson, corn miller
Reeve, Howard, farmer
Reeve, William, farmer, plumber, and glazier
Spratt, Mrs., national school
Thurston, John, farmer
Ward, Rev. W. C., curate
Young, James, victualler, Buck
A parish in Taverham hundred, East Norfolk, better known asSt. Faith’s, includingNewton St. Faith, one mile further north, on the direct road to Aylsham from Norwich, and distant 5 miles north of the latter station, 7 miles south of Aylsham, and 118½ from London, containing, in 1851, 923 inhabitants in Horsham, and 288 in Newton. The church of the Virgin Mary is an old building, with four large windows, and high embattled tower of Gothic architecture. The land comprises 2,700 acres of tolerably good land, belonging to several proprietors, the largest of whom is Lord Viscount Ranelagh, who is lord of the manor and patron of the living a curacy, enjoyed by the Rev. William Atthill, M.A. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, and also one at Newton St. Faith’s. The Union Workhouse, half a mile north-east of the church, is a large brick building, with accommodation for 300 inmates. There is a large cattle fair held for three weeks, commencing October 17th, where a vast quantity of cattle from Scotland and the surrounding country is sent. Here was anciently a market, a Benedictine priory, founded in 1105, and an hospital of Knights Templars.
The Rev. A. S. Warner,Chaplain. Robert Thompson, Esq.,Surgeon. James and Mahala Goodchild,Master and Matron. Esther Goodchild,Assistant Matron. Joseph and Elizabeth Howlett,Schoolmaster and Schoolmistress. Andrew Child,Porter. 30 parishes in Union.
Atthill, Rev., William, rector of St. Faith’s; h Horsford
Barker, Edward, horse farrier
Batley, Stephen, cabinet and chair maker
Blyth, John, boot and shoe maker
Bridges, John, boot and shoe maker
Britcher, William, the Crown
Bullard, Robert, shopkeeper and butcher
Cable, Robert, King’s Head
Carman, Philip Lincoln, superintendent registrar
Cooper, James, gardener
Eglington, Richard, miller and farmer
Forster, William, bricklayer
Gear, Joseph, and Potter, Eliza, superintendents of the day and sunday schools
Harper, Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Hook, Samuel B., tailor
Holmes, George, clerk to St. Faith’s church
Kerry, Henry, tailor
Lovick, John, beer retailer and farmer
Lovick, Samuel, baker
Newton, Edward, the Crown
Nunn, Eve Elizabeth, Jolly Butchers
Osborn, George, haircutter
Pearce, John, smith in general
Painter, Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Priestley, William Stanton, surgeon
Reynolds, Charlotte, day school for children
Reynolds, Edward, farmer
Reynolds, James, corn and seed merchant
Rice, James, Black Swan, and post-office
Scarnett, John, farmer and builder
Scarnett, John, general shopkeeper and blacksmith
Snelling, Elizabeth, Cross Keys
Webb, Benjamin, shopkeeper and basket-maker
West, John, farmer
Woolsey, Alfred, shopkeeper
Youngs, Peter, saddle and harness maker
A very small village and parish, pleasantly situated near the Hethersett station, 3½ miles S.W. of Norwich, containing upwards of 600 acres of land, all the property of Joseph Salisbury Muskett, Esq., who rebuilt the hall in splendid style. The church of All Saints is in the patronage of J. S. Muskett, Esq., and the incumbent is the Rev. W. Day, M.A. The population in 1851 was 73.
Allden, William Spratt, farmer
Clarke, Jacob, gardener
Davie, Rev. W. C., curate
Muskett, J. Salisbury, Esq., hall
Keswickis a small parish in Humbleyard hundred, 3 miles S.S.W. from Norwich. The population in 1851 was 126. The London and Norwich railway passes close to the village, which contains 722 acres of land, principally belonging to Hudson Gurney, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and occupies the New Hall.
Bennett, James, gardener, old hall
Birkbeck, Mrs. Elizabeth Lucy, old hall
Blomfield, Miles, corn miller
Edwards, John, farmer and land agent
Emms, Frederic, gardener, new hall
Gurney, Hudson, Esq., new hall
Phillips, James, gardener, new hall
Ketteringhamis a small village and parish in Humbleyard hundred, distant from Wymondham station 3½ miles, and six from Norwich. The principal part of the land in this parish belongs to Sir John Peter Boileau, Bart. The church is a neat building. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of Sir John P. Boileau, and the incumbent is the Rev. W. W. Andrew. The number of acres is 1,600, and the population 209.
Beadley, Miss Caroline
Blomfield, William, farmer
Boileau, Sir J. Peter, Bart., hall
Cook, John Sewell, farmer
Easton, George, gardener
Hunter, Robert, carpenter
Ringer, John Michael, farm bailiff
Thrower, James, blacksmith
Kirby Bedon, a village 4½ miles S.E. of Norwich, in the Henstead hundred. Its houses are scattered; containing 296 inhabitants, and 1362 acres, belonging to several proprietors. Sir H. J. Stracey, Charles Lombe, Esq., and Edward Lombe, Esq., are lords of the manor, to whom great part of the land belong. The church of St.Andrew’s stands on a height, and is a low square building with thatched roof, and a tower with a base of flint about 10 feet high, and the upper part of wood. The inside is plain, and contains several monuments to the Brooke family; also an ancient sculpture, representing a man and woman kneeling at the altar, but time has nearly obliterated the inscription. The living is a rectory, enjoyed by the Rev. E. Day. The old hall, a very ancient mansion—the lower part only now remains, which is inhabited by labourers.
Bird, Joseph, farmer
Clare, Charles, junr., farmer
Day, Rev. Edward, rectory
Drake, George F., Esq.
Horne, Robert, victualler, Stracey Arms, and gardener
Mendham, Mr. Richard
Neeve, Richard, gardener and shopkeeper
Money, William F., farmer
Seal, John, blacksmith
Smith, Robert, shoemaker
Varville, James, farmer and brickmaker
Woolsey, Jeremiah, farmer and brickmaker
A parish, with 379 inhabitants, principally small farmers. The lord of this manor is — Lombe, Esq., to whom belongs the greater part of the land, which comprises nearly 700 acres. The church, St. James’, is a small thatched building, with a square tower. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of Emanuel College, Cambridge. The incumbent is the Rev. J. C. Berkley, M.A.
Aldred, Thomas D., farmer
Andrews, John, carpenter and beerhouse
Barnes, Mary, shopkeeper
Berkley, Rev. J. C., vicar
Beverley, Miss Mary
Child, Charles and Mary, school teachers
Coggle, John, farmer
Davey, John, gardener
Eadon, E., gardener
Forster, Thomas, farmer and parish clerk
Fox, Edmund, plumber and glazier
Gaff, John, farmer
Howard, Mr. Thomas
Kemp, John, gardener
Lovett, John W., corn miller
Long, James, farmer
Ringer, Daniel, farmer
Rudd, Francis G., farmer
Webster, James, gardener
A small, neat village and parish in Blofield hundred, contained, in 1851, 309 inhabitants; distant from Norwich 6 miles E. by north. The church (St. Gervase) is a small neat building, with a square tower. The inside is tastefully fitted up, and contains several handsome monuments. A handsome painted window is placed at the east end.
Boast, Moses, farmer
Bolton, John, farmer
Bussey, Benjamin, parish clerk
Crow, Robert, farmer
George, John, farmer
Goulder, Robert, farmer
Green, James, brick and tile maker
Jones, Peter, farmer
Morter, Robert, shopkeeper
Nicholls, John, farmer
Read, George, farmer
Spanton, Francis, victualler, Brick Kilns
Worth, Misses Susan, Maria and Sophia, the Hall
A parish and considerable village in South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham Union, East Norfolk, 2 miles south of Aylsham, and 10 north from Norwich: contained, in 1851, 662 inhabitants. Thearea of the parish is 1,819 acres; the soil belongs to various owners. W. Repton, Esq., is lord of the manor.
The church of All Saints has a nave, chancel, and square tower, 8 bells, and an ancient screen and font. The chancel has some stones to the memory of the Norris and other families. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Earl of Lichfield; the Rev. John Gunton, B.A., is the incumbent, by whom a neat rectory house has been built, assisted by Queen Anne’s bounty, the tithes commuted for £344. The poor’s land produces a rental of £16 5s. per annum. Here is a school, supported by the rector. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.
Cook, John, shopkeeper and brickmaker
Elvin, David, miller
Elvin, William, shopkeeper
Farmer, James, farmer
Forster, William, schoolmaster to parish school
Gunton, Rev. John, rector
Howlett, John, farmer
Jones, John, boot and shoe maker and shopkeeper
Jones, John, farmer
Jones, Robert, boot and shoe maker
Kellington, Samuel, post-office
Lake, William, White Hart
Lambert, John, farmer
Marsham, Rev. Henry, rector of Brampton and curate of Stratton, Marsham Hall
Mason, Edward, Plough and Shuttle
Moore, Edward, blacksmith
Skipper, Isaac, boot and shoe maker
Soam, Peter, farmer
Spink, Peter, shopkeeper
Tredwell, John, farmer
Warnes, Miss Elizabeth
Warnes, Mrs. Emily, Baldwick Hall
Watts and Brothers, farmers
Wighton, Thomas, farmer
A village and parish in Humbleyard hundred, East Norfolk, near the Swainsthorpe station, 109 miles from London, and 5 S.W. from Norwich, containing 587 inhabitants, and 1350 acres of land. The church of St. Mary Magdalen has some old tombs. The rectory is in the gift of the Rev. J. H. Steward; and the Rev. Richard Gay Lucas, B.A., is the incumbent. Petty Sessions are held on the third Monday of every month, at the World’s End Inn, where there is an Odd Fellows’ Lodge, M.U.
Banham, John, carpenter
Barrell, Samuel, miller
Barrell, William, miller
Blake, John, farmer and butcher
Blake, Robert, farmer and butcher
Brett, Major, the Lodge
Claxton, George, farmer
Cremer, Charles, miller
Dye, Robert, shoemaker
Gowing, Samuel, farmer
Harvey, William, farmer
Lane, John, farmer
Lucas, Rev. Richard Gay, B.A., rectory
Norris, Mr. James
Norris, Mr. John
Overed, Walter, veterinary surgeon
Petchall, Mark B., shoemaker
Rice, James, blacksmith
Rice, Robert, wheelwright, &c.
Squires, Paul, Esq., the Hall
Todd, John, post-office
Todd, William, World’s End
Turner, James, yeoman
Turner, John, yeoman
Wright, William, tailor
A village in Walsham hundred, comprising 600 acres of good land, situated 9 miles E. of Norwich, and 5 N. of Brundall station, containing 134 inhabitants, wholly dependent on agriculture. A new Church was built in 1847, at a cost of £500. The benefice is a rectory, consolidated with Woodbastwick, and enjoyed by the Rev. Henry Dunster, M.A.
Easton, Robert, farmer and maltster
Ely, Elijah, veterinary surgeon and victualler, Red Lion inn
Riches, John, farmer
Rix, Matthew, grocer
Rose, William, farmer
Starling, Thomas, blacksmith
Thirtle, Robert, gamekeeper
Wyatt, Elijah, miller
Rackheath, in Taverham hundred, 4½ miles N.E. of Norwich, was originally divided into two parishes, called Great and Little Rackheath, now united in one. The population in 1851 was 281, employed chiefly in husbandry. The houses are very widely spread; some are two miles distant from each other. The parish contains about 2000 acres. The Hall, a splendid mansion, has lately been much added to and embellished by the present owner, Sir Henry J. Stracey; it is in the centre of a large and well-wooded park. The Grange is also an adjoining estate, belonging to the same owner. He is also lord of the manor, and patron of the church of All Saints, which stands half a mile from the village, in a meadow. The incumbent is the Rev. F. H. S. Hodgson. There is also a Free School, supported by Sir H. J. Stracey. Here was formerly a Priory.
Aldous, Frederic, farmer
Buttifant, William, farmer
Clark, John, W. victualler, Green Man
Davey, Emma, school-mistress
Etheridge, Thomas, farmer
Forder, Joseph, blacksmith
George, Henry, farmer
Gillingwater, Edward, gardener
Goulder, Christmas E., farm bailiff
Pyle, Robt., farmer, Green Farm
Stracey, Sir Henry J., the Hall
Ward, James, shopkeeper
Watts, Robert, farmer
A large village, pleasantly situated in Henstead Union, 6 miles S.E. of Norwich, with 485 inhabitants, and containing 1,338 acres of rich, well-cultivated land, in the vale of the Yare. Sir Charles H. Rich is lord of the chief manor, and the present proprietors are Hudson Gurney, Esq., and Robert Gilbert, jun., Esq. The church (St. Mary) is a neat building, on a height, and commands an extensive view of the country: it has a chancel and aisle, with thatched roof, and a small square tower. The ivy-covered ruins of another church are still visible in the same churchyard. The living is a rectory annexed to Holverstone, in the gift of Queen’s College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. J. Dewe, B.A., who lives in the rectory, a new residence adjoining the churchyard; and at the southern extremity of the village, in a vale of the river Yare, is the New Inn, commanding a most extensive view of the river and broad, or lake, of nearly 100 acres. There is a National School for educating 50 children.
Beeston, Robert, smith and iron-founder
Blaza, Philip, farmer
Blake, George, brickmaker
Blake, Robert, shopkeeper
Coleman, Mr. John
Coleman, Rhoda, school-mistress
Dewe, Rev. Joseph, B.D., Rectory
Edwards, John, farmer
Forder, Richard, carpenter
Forder, Robert, thatcher
George, George, farmer
Gilbert, Robert, farmer
Goodrum, Richard, farmer
Potter, James, gardener
Rudd, Henry, victualler, the Crown
Roberts, James, shopkeeper and wheel-wright
Rudd, Miss Jane
Minns, George, farmer
Nobbs, Samuel, farmer
Thurston, Robert, saddler
West, John, victualler, Star
Watson, William, victualler, New Inn
Wickham, James, bricklayer
A small agricultural village in Taverham hundred, about 4½ miles N. of Norwich. It contains about 2000 acres of land; and in 1851 the population was 41. The church of St. Peter is a neat building, with two large Gothic windows; it has a small but lofty tower. The inside contains several monuments to the memory of the Pecks and also the Longes.
Broughton, John, blacksmith
Eaton, George, farmer
Holmes, Benjamin, farmer
Howes, Rev. George, Rectory
Longe, John, Esq., Hall
Porter, Mrs. Jane, farmer
Strumpshawis a parish and scattered village, distant 8½ miles E. of Norwich, 1¾ mile N. from Buckenham station, and 122 miles from London; in Blofield hundred and Union, East Norfolk. The church of St. Peter has a square tower, containing 3 bells. The living is a rectory, value about £520, with that of Bradestone. The Rev. E. S. Whitbread, M.A., is patron and incumbent: there are about 64 acres of glebe land attached. The parish contains about 1,337 acres; and the population in 1851 was 441. There are a few small charities, distributed in fuel and wheat, left by the late Mr. Black.
Alexander, Thomas, tailor
Atkins, Thomas, farmer
Barnes, John T., farmer
Burton, Mr. Robert
Chapman, John, miller
Culley, Mr., boarding academy
Denton, James, timber merchant
Dingle, John, shopkeeper
Goffin, Alexander, bricklayer
Goffin, Thomas, brickmaker
Hylton, John, blacksmith
Oakley, Thomas, parish clerk
Plow, Christopher, shoemaker
Porter, Benjamin, coal merchant
Postle, Thomas, farmer
Pyle, John, farmer
Shrewe, John, victualler, Goat
Simmons, Thomas, gardener
Smith, Richard, blacksmith
Spooner, John, wheelwright and victualler, Shoulder of Mutton
Steward, Thomas, cattle dealer
Tuck, Thomas Gilbert, Esq.
Wells, William, farmer
Whitbread, Rev. E. S., M.A., Rectory
A railway station, village, and parish in the hundred of Humbleyard, 108 miles from London, and 5½ from Norwich S. by W., containing 240 inhabitants, and 819 acres of land. The church is dedicated to St. Peter; the rectory of which is in the patronage of R. K. Long, Esq., and the Rev. Henry Long.
Bennett, Benjamin, shoemaker
Brandford, Ezra, victualler, Dun Cow
Canham, E., station master
Cannell, Jacob, butcher
Carpenter, Robert, farmer
Ecclestone, Henry, police officer
Freeman, Mr., academy
Gooch, G. Sutton, veterinary surgeon
Gooch, Rachel, smith and wheelwright
Muttimer, George, farmer
Turner, Mr. and Mrs., master and matron of Union House
A village and parish in Henstead hundred, near the Swainsthorpe station, 4 miles S.S.W. from Norwich, containing 950acres of land, and in 1851 a population of 381. The church of the Virgin Mary is a neat building: the Rev. John Henry Steward, M.A., of East Carlton, is patron, and incumbent of the vicarage. It has a fine screen, some stained glass, and some tombs.
Arundel, Samuel, cooper
Barrett, Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Barrett, William, thatcher
Brown, Robert D., bricklayer
Brown, James, shopkeeper
Bond, Robert, farmer
Cannell, Isaac, blacksmith
Cunningham, John, tailor
Cunningham, Wm., butcher
Cannell, Henry, gardener
Davy, Barnard, blacksmith
Fairman, Samuel, bricklayer
Fish, Miles, shoemaker
Hamnell, Paul, shoemaker
Hall, James, wheelwright
Hubbard, John, gardener
King, Robert, farmer
Kemp, Daniel T., Esq., Rectory
Raven, Benjamin, farmer
Stewart, Rev. H., B.A., curate
Turner, Daniel, victualler, Dog
Twiss, Christopher, farmer
Wesleyan chapel. National school, erected 1841, enlarged 1855, called Rev. Samuel Chapman’s school: school-master, Joseph Cook.