WOODBRIDGE

Webb, Frederic, beer retailer, High street

Wells, Mrs. Maria, straw bonnet maker, High street

Woodward, John, grocer and draper, High street

Woollard, George, whitesmith and bell-hanger, High street

Woollard, Jane, straw bonnet maker, High street

Wright, Freeman, crown glue manufacturer

Wright, Henry, beer retailer, High street

Woodbridge, in East Suffolk, is a parish and market town, and port, on the banks of the river Deben, 76 miles from London, and 8 N.E. from Ipswich.  The population in 1851 was 5,000.  The town is well lighted with gas; it consists principally of four streets.  Large quantities of corn and malt are shipped from Woodbridge; and the imports are very considerable, consisting of coal, timber, seed, oilcake, wine, spirits, &c.  Upwards of 50 vessels are connected with the port.  A very extensive market is held on Wednesday, for corn and cattle.  Fairs are held on the first Tuesday in April, and Michaelmas day and the day following.  A county court is held here.  The petty sessions are every Wednesday, and quarter sessions are held here.

The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very handsome structure, and in 1840, was repaired and decorated at the expence of George Thomas, Esq.  The living is a perpetual curacy; the Rev. T. W. Meller, M.A., is the present incumbent—annual value, £329.  A new church, dedicated to St. John, has been completed within the last 8 years.  The Rev. Joseph Rowley, B.A., is minister.  The Wesleyans, Independents, and Society of Friends, have each a chapel here.

SEKFORDE HOSPITAL.  Governors—Right Honourable Sir John Romilly, Master of the Rolls.  Right Honourable Sir John Jervis, Knight, Lord Chief Justice of Common Pleas.  Chaplain—Rev. William Thomas Meller, M.A.

Aldous, Mr. William, Sekford street

Alexanders and Co., bankers; F. Alexander, Esq., resident partner, Church st.

Allen, Miss Lydia, Thoroughfare

Baily, Mrs. Mary, St. John’s street

Baldry, Mrs. Mary, Church street

Brooke, George, Esq., Cumberland street

Carthew, Mrs. Charlotte, Cumberland str.

Clarke, Mrs., Bredfield street

Cook, Mr. William, Brook street

Daniels, Misses, St. John’s street

Doughty, Frederic, Esq., Cumberland st.

Duffy, Rev. Aaron, Independent minister, Quay side

Garrard, Mr. William, Thoroughfare

Gissing, Mrs. Ann, Cumberland street

Griffiths, Rev. David, Independent minister, New street

Grimwood, Mrs., St. John’s street

Hart, Mr. Daniel, Quay House

Heard, Mrs. E., Castle street

Hillen, Mr. Robert, the Quay

Hughes, Thomas William, M.R.C.S., Cumberland street

Hughes, Rev. Thomas William, B.A., chaplain of the Suffolk asylum, Cumberland street

Hunt, Mrs. Harriet, St. John’s street

Jackson, Rev. Postle, head master of the Free Grammar school, Sekford street

Knight, Mrs. Ann, Thoroughfare

Linstead, Mr. John, St. John’s Church street

Loder, Mr. Charles, Thoroughfare

Martin, Mr. William, Thoroughfare

Martin, Mr. William, Doric place

Miller, Rev. T. W., rector of St. Mary’s; rectory house

Morley, Mr. William, Thoroughfare

Norton, William, Esq.

Pulham, James, Esq., Sekford street

Rowley, Rev. Joseph Moss, incumbent, St. John’s: h St. Johns parsonage

Sheming, Mr. Thomas, Cumberland street

Taylor, Rev. Henry: h Chapel lane

Toll, Miss Hannah, Seckford street

Turner, Mrs., St. John’s street

Wainwright, Miss Rachel and Miss Elizabeth, Church street

Watson, Rev. Christopher George, rector of Melton: h Church street

Whitnall, Mrs. Elizabeth, Castle street

Wilson, Miss Mary, Doric place

Adcock, George, national school master, Castle street

Aldring, W. H., milliner and dressmaker, Thoroughfare

Alexander and Co., bankers, Church str.

Alexander, William, boot and shoe maker, Sekford street

Allcock, Thomas, baker, Market-hill

Allen, John, the Royal William, Theatre street

Allen, Alethea, corset maker, Cumberland street

Allen, Loder, plumber and glazier, Church street

Amos, Sarah, private lodging house, Cumberland street

Andrews, Jonathan, builder, St. John’s street

Andrews, W. F., grocer and tea dealer, registrar of marriages, agent to Royal Liverpool Insurance and Accidental office, Thoroughfare and Market hill

Bacon, Cobbold, and Co., bankers, Thoroughfare

Baker, James, watch maker, Thoroughfare

Baldwin, C. A., Free Trade tavern, Sekford street

Balls, Mary Ann, pork butcher, Sekford st.

Balls, Edward, tailor, Thoroughfare

Bannister, William G., British schoolmaster, St. John’s terrace

Bardwell, Elmer, broker and grocer, Cumberland street

Barnes, Robert, shop keeper, Thoroughfare

Barritt, James, confectioner, Church str.

Batchelor, Richard, grocer and tea dealer, Thoroughfare

Baxter, Isaac, green grocer, Sekford street

Baxter, Harriet, dress maker, Doric place

Baxter, Sarah, blacksmith, Brook street

Bays, Thomas, hat manufacturer, Market-place

Beckett, John, farming bailiff, Kingston road

Beecroft, Sarah, milliner and dress maker, Church street

Beecroft, William, grocer and tea dealer, Church street

Bendall, James, iron and brass founder, Thoroughfare

Berry, Sharman West, gun manufacturer, Market hill

Betts, John, farmer, Thoroughfare

Betts, John, chemist, druggist, and colorman, Thoroughfare

Beverley, Sarah, and Stubbs, Eliza, fancy repository, Thoroughfare

Bird, Emma, dress and cloak maker, St. John’s street

Bird, Robert, librarian to the Mechanics’ institution, St. John’s street

Bloxsome, Joseph, linen draper, Church street

Bond, Samuel, tailor, &c., Wellington inn, Cumberland street

Braham, Robert, boot maker, New street

Brickles, John, bricklayer, Castle street

Brickles, Margaret, shopkeeper, Castle street

Brighten, George, haircutter, Quay

Brinkley, William, butcher, Church street

Broadbank, Rosa, straw bonnet maker, New street

Broadbank, William, boot maker, New street

Broadbank, T., plumber, glazier, and painter, Brook street

Brook, Henry William, wine and spirit merchant, stock and share broker, Church street

Brooks, German, Queen’s Head inn, Sekford street

Brown, Joseph F., tailor, woollen draper, and hatter, Thoroughfare

Buckmaster, Mark, brewer, St. John’s str.

Bull, Elizabeth, dress maker, Brook str.

Bunn, Walter, Saddlers’ Arms, Castle street

Burditt, John, watch maker, jeweller, and silversmith, Thoroughfare

Burrows, Charles, pawnbroker, silversmith, and jeweller, Church street

Burrows, John, whitesmith, Angel lane

Butters, John, boot and shoe maker, New street

Butters, Joseph, boot and shoe maker, Thoroughfare

Cage, John, tin-plate worker, New street

Cana, Robert, agent for the Norwich Fire and Life Assurance society, commissioner for taking special bails for the counties of Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, and Cambridgeshire

Carr, John, baker, Castle street

Carr, James, boot and shoe maker, and leather cutter, Thoroughfare

Catchpole, John, bookseller, stationer and fancy repository, Thoroughfare

Chappell, William George, tailor and woollen draper, Church street

Charters, Sophia Augusta, King’s Arms, Thoroughfare

Clarke, Henry, green grocer, New street

Cole, Jacob, butcher, Church street

Cole, James, beer retailer, Cumberland street

Cook, Thomas, coach builder, New street

Cook, Alfred, auctioneer, appraiser, and estate agent, Thoroughfare

Cook, Thomas, the Coopers’ Arms, Market hill

Cook, Alfred B., the Swan inn, Market hill

Cook, Alfred Thomas, estate agent and auctioneer, Thoroughfare

Cork, Henry, rope and twine manufacturer, Church street

Cousins, William, bricklayer, Sekford street

Cowing, Samuel, Stannon inn, Brewer’s lane

Cranmer, Alexander, King’s Head inn, Market hill

Cross, James, rod merchant, &c., Thoroughfare

Crowe, Davy, grocer and tea dealer, Church street

Culham, John, pork butcher, New street

Culham, William, ironmonger, brazier, and tin-plate worker, Thoroughfare

Cullingford, Samuel, linen draper, Thoroughfare

Cullingford, Anne, milliner and dress maker, Thoroughfare

Cullingford, Joseph, builder, St. John’s street

Curtis, John, felmonger, Brewer’s lane

Cutting, James, boot and shoe maker, Church street

Dallenger, John, accountant, Thoroughfare

Daniels, William, baker and beer retailer, Cumberland street

Dawson, James, captain of merchant vessel, Thoroughfare

De Medewe and Brooke, solicitors, agents to the Globe Insurance office, the Rock Insurance, and the Female Provident Society, New street

Dickerson, William, shopkeeper, Cumberland street

Dove, Benjamin, bricklayer and builder, Castle street

Dougar, Robert, railway contractor, Cumberland street

Downing, Edward, coach builder, Thoroughfare

Dowsing, William, corn chandler, New street

Dowsing, William, shoeing smith, Chapel lane

Durrant, Isaac, saddle and harness maker, Thoroughfare

Dunnett, Philip, hairdresser, &c., Market hill

Easto, John, and Co., grocers, tea dealers, and tallow chandlers, Church street

Edwards, Henry, wine and spirit merchant, Thoroughfare, h Church street

Edwards, Henry, jun., maltster and merchant, h Church street

Edwards, Henry, sen., wine and spirit merchant, Thoroughfare

Elliott, Henry, miller, Mill hill

Ellis, Benjamin, watch and clock maker, Thoroughfare

Everett, Lucy, boarding school for young ladies, Brook house, Cumberland street

Fenn, E., boarding and day school for young gentlemen, Cumberland street

Fenn, Mary Ann, boarding and day school for young ladies, Cumberland street

Fisher, Henry, locker to the Custom house, Quay lane

Fisher, William, confectioner and baker, Thoroughfare

Fisk, Eunice, corset maker, St. John’s terrace

Fisk, Samuel, cabinet maker and upholsterer, St. John’s street

Fitzgerald, Edward, superintendent of the East Suffolk police division

Footman and Co., linen drapers, Thoroughfare

Foreman, John, gardener and seedsman, New street

Fosdike, John, bricklayer and plasterer, St. John’s terrace

Francis, Sarah, dyer, Cumberland street

Freeman, Charles, draper, Thoroughfare

Frost, John, builder, St. John’s street

Frost, William, cooper, Thoroughfare

Gall, Benjamin D., chemist and druggist, and cashier of the savings’ bank, Thoroughfare

Gall, George, furnishing ironmonger, Church street

Gammage, Benjamin, baker and confectioner, Thoroughfare

Gammage, James, baker, Cumberland street

Garnham, John, Royal Oak, Thoroughfare

Garrard, George, master mariner, Brewer’s lane

Garrard, Eliza, milliner, Brewer’s lane

Garrard, Charles, master mariner, Brewer’s lane

Garrard, William and Charles, boat and ship builders, Brook street

Gennills, John, turner, Castle street

Gibbs, Susan, dressmaker, St. John’s street

Gibbs, William G., master mariner, St. John’s street

Giles, George, rope manufacturer, New street

Giles, George, boot and shoe maker, Thoroughfare

Gillingham, George, the Anchor, Quay lane

Gissing, John S., surgeon, &c., Market hill

Godbould, George, veterinary surgeon, the Sun inn, Thoroughfare

Goodwin, Susanna, ladies’ day and boarding school, Church street

Goldsmith Thomas, machine maker, shopkeeper, and agent for Ransomes and Sims’ agricultural implements, Market hill

Gray, Samuel, butcher, Sekford street

Green, Robert, haircutter, New street

Grimwood, William, brushmaker, Cumberland street

Grimwood, T. W., and G. A., timber, slate, tar, and cement merchants, Woodbridge and Snape bridge

Gross, Frederic, wine and spirit merchant, offices, Thoroughfare, h Church street

Gross, James and Co., grocers, tea dealers, wine and spirit merchants, Thoroughfare

Gross, Alfred, accountant, Sekford street

Gurney, Godfrey, the Cross inn, Church street

Gurney, John, painter, plumber, and glazier, Cumberland street

Hambly, Parmenas, clerk, Castle street

Hammond, James, pork and poultry dealer, Church street

Harding, Amos, smith and wheelwright, Theatre street

Harris, William, shopkeeper and carrier from Woodbridge to Ipswich, Chapel street

Hart, John, and Wrinch, Henry, maltsters, corn, coal, and seed merchants, Woodbridge

Hartridge, James, coach proprietor, St. John’s street

Hartridge, James, coach proprietor, New street

Hartridge, William, coach office and shopkeeper, New street

Hayward, Emma, milliner and dressmaker, Church street

Hayward, James, estate and fire and life insurance agent, Castle street

Hayward, Robert, grocer and draper, St. John’s street

Head, Mary, furniture broker, New street

Heffer, John, painter, plumber, and glazier, St. John’s street

Hildyard, John, watch and clock maker, jeweller, and silversmith, Thoroughfare

Hornor, Mrs. boarding and day school for young ladies, Doric place

Houghton, John, clerk and sexton to St. John’s, Castle street

How, John, Boat inn, the Quay

Hunt, James, boot and shoe maker and leather seller, Thoroughfare

Hunting, William, greengrocer, New street

Issett, John W., hardwareman, agent to the County Fire and Provident Life Insurance offices, Thoroughfare

Jasper, William H., carpenter, &c., Theatre street

Jeffries, Alfred, painter, plumber, and glazier, Thoroughfare

Jeffries, John, seedsman and florist, Thoroughfare

Jeffries, John, florist and seedsman, Castle street

Johnstone, Thomas M., collector of Customs, North Hill Cottage

Jones, Richard, surgeon, Church street

Jones, Thomas, supervisor, St. John’s terrace

Keeble, William, ship agent, Castle street

Keeble, William, hairdresser and perfumer, Thoroughfare

Keel, Robert, painter, &c. New street

Kemp, Susan, milliner and dressmaker, Thoroughfare

Kemp, John, boot and shoe maker, Castle street

Kemp, George, grocer and tea dealer, Cumberland street

Kemp, William, ironmonger, Market hill

Kent, Edwin, general draper and silk mercer, Market hill

Larter, Jonathan, boot and shoe maker, Bredfield street

Last, S., boarding and day school for young ladies, St. John’s street

Last, Elizabeth, dressmaker, St. John’s street

Last, Edward, cooper, Cumberland street

Law, William, Lion inn, Eastern Counties Railway Goods Depôt, Thoroughfare

Laurance, William, the Ship, Quay

Leech, Francis, gardener, Castle street

Lincoln, James, shopkeeper, Bay Horse, Castle street

Ling, George, maltster, offices, Brewer’s lane, h Bedford

Lockwood, William, jun., brewer, sole agent for Truman and Hanbury’s porter and stout, Castle street

Loder, John, bookseller, stationer, printer, and binder, agent for the Advertiser East Suffolk Newspaper, Thoroughfare

Loder, John, jun., auctioneer, office, Thoroughfare: h Doric place

London, William, accountant, Thoroughfare

Lucock, Mrs. Sarah, Cherry Tree inn, Cumberland street

Lucock, Thomas, registrar of births and deaths, Castle street

Mallett, William, plumber and glazier, Market hill

Mallett, John, painter, plumber, and glazier, Sekford street

Mallett, Mary, dress and cloak maker, Market hill

Manby, George, general merchant, Thoroughfare

Markham, Miss Maria, milliner, &c., Thoroughfare

Marsh, William N., hairdresser and perfumer, Market hill

Marshall, Charles, surgeon, Thoroughfare

Matthews, William, the Tankards, New street

Mayes, Miss Sarah, dressmaker, Doric place

Mayhew, Samuel, general hardware dealer, Thoroughfare

Mayhew, James, confectioner and baker, Market hill

Mickleburgh, Mrs. Emma, clothier and corn chandler, Market hill

Middleditch, George, butcher, Market hill

Minter, James, confectioner and baker, Market hill

Moore, William, surgeon, Cumberland st.

Moore, George, solicitor and county treasurer, Cumberland street

Moore, Martin, brazier, engraver, &c., Thoroughfare

Moore, George, solicitor and county treasurer, Cumberland street

Moore, William, surgeon, Cumberland st.

Moore, William C., painter, plumber, and glazier, New street

Morley, Joseph R., china, glass, and earthenware dealer, Thoroughfare

Moss, Rosamond, straw hat maker, Sekford street

Moulton, Benjamin, auctioneer and land surveyor, clerk to the guardians of the Woodbridge Union, and superintendent registrar, Thoroughfare

Munro, John D., bookseller, stationer, and post-master, Church street

Naunton, Charles, watchmaker, Chapel lane

Neale, Horace, grocer and tea dealer, agent to the Phœnix Fire Office, Thoroughfare

Newson, Mrs. Mary Ann, milliner, &c., St. John’s street

Norris, George, watch and clock maker, Market hill

Nunn, H. & C., milliners and dressmakers, St. John’s street

Nunn, James, brazier, New street

Osborn, Mr. S., miller, Theatre street

Owles, Charles, whitesmith, &c., New st.

Oxx, Amos, corn chandler and game dealer, Thoroughfare

Palmer, Miss Caroline E., ladies’ day school, Thoroughfare

Palmer, Henry, shopkeeper and baker, Sekford street

Passifull, Edward, captain of a merchant vessel, St. John’s street

Pattison, William, architect, St. John’s Church street

Peake, Charles, Golden Lion, Market hill

Peake, Thomas, builder, surveyor, and brick merchant, agent for Leeds and Yorkshire Life and Fire Assurance Company, Cumberland street

Peckham, Alfred S., inland revenue officer, Sekford street

Pitcher, John, accountant, New street

Pite, Edward, printer and bookseller, Church street

Pite, George Alfred, linen draper, Thoroughfare

Pite, Mary Ann, milliner and straw hat maker, Church street

Pizey, Henry, auctioneer, &c., Cumberland street

Pizey, Philip, printer, bookseller, and deputy registrar, New street

Pooley, Emma, Cock and Pie inn, New street

Potwright, Sarah, milliner and dressmaker, Castle street

Quadling, George, Waggon and Horses, Bredfield street

Quinton, Mrs. stay and corset maker, St. John’s street

Quinton, Richard, shopkeeper, Sekford street

Read, Alfred, greengrocer, &c., Thoroughfare

Read, George, greengrocer, Theatre street

Rebett, Brady, grinding cutler, New str.

Reeve, Mr. A., solicitor; offices, Thoroughfare; h Melton

Revell, William, grocer and tea dealer, Cumberland street

Revell, William, pork butcher, Cumberland street

Reynolds, William, officer of the inland revenue, Kingston road

Richardson, John, fishmonger, St. John’s street

Riches, John, tailor, Castle street

Robertson, Margaret, preparatory school for young ladies and gentlemen, Castle street

Salmon, John, Crown hotel, posting house and receiving office for parcels, Thoroughfare

Salmon, John, Bull commercial inn, Market hill

Sawyer, Christian, shopkeeper, Chapel lane

Sawyer, John, Horse and Groom, Cumberland street

Scolding, William, White Horse inn, Market hill

Scott, Mrs. Thomas, milliner, Thoroughfare

Scott, Thomas, draper, Thoroughfare

Scrutton, John, cabinet-maker and upholsterer, Thoroughfare

Scrutton, William, baker, Brook street

Seaman, James, carpenter and builder, Thoroughfare

Sheming, Fenn, farmer, Cumberland str.

Ship, Joseph, saddler, St. John’s street

Shribbs, James, manager to the E.C.R. Company, goods department; h Cumberland street

Silver, Thomas T., ironmonger, Church street

Simpson, Frances Ann, milliner and dressmaker, New street

Simpson, Thomas, cabinet maker and upholsterer, Thoroughfare

Skinner, John, greengrocer, Thoroughfare

Smith, Elizabeth, shopkeeper, Sekford street

Smith, Henry, fishmonger, Thoroughfare

Smyth, William, basket and sieve maker, Thoroughfare

Smith, James R., chemist and druggist, Market hill

Smith, James, master mariner, Quay lane

Smith, Robert, butcher, New street

Smyth, Mrs. Lydia and Miss Leah, boarding and day school for young ladies, Bredfield street

Southgate, Henry, coffee and eating house, Church street

Stanford, Harriet, milliner, Thoroughfare

Stannard, William, the Bell inn, New st.

Stananought, John, whitesmith and inspector of weights and measures, New street

Steel, William, the Grapes inn, Bredfield street

Stephenson, William, stone and marble mason, Thoroughfare

Stimpson, Ann, dressmaker, St. John’s terrace

Syer, John, cabinet maker, Cumberland street

Taylor, Alfred, bailiff of the County Court, New street

Taylor, Samuel, confectioner and baker, New street

Thompson, George, county surveyor, Doric place

Thompson, George Edward, corn merchant, Thoroughfare

Thompson, Robert, china, glass, and earthenware dealer, Thoroughfare

Tills, William, corn and coal merchant, Thoroughfare

Trott, George, shipowner, Castle street

Trafford, Susan, shopkeeper, Sekford str.

Trott, Pierce, miller, Birket road

Trott, William, shipowner, Quay lane

Tuck, Charles, chemist and druggist, shop, Church street, h Sekford street

Turner, Catherine, greengrocer, New str.

Turner, George, butcher, Thoroughfare

Turner, John, butcher, Thoroughfare

Turner, Robert, farmer, Dry Bridge hill

Turner, Wm. clothier and shoemaker, Chapel lane

Tye, William, shopkeeper, Sekford Arms, Sekford street

Wade, George, hairdresser, Cumberland street

Wade, Martha, straw bonnet maker, Cumberland street

Wade, Maria, confectioner and baker, Thoroughfare

Waller, Jeremiah, boot and shoe maker, Castle street

Ward, Ann, upholstress, New street

Waspe, Mary Ann, milliner and dressmaker, St. John’s street

Webb, James, boot and shoe maker, Castle street

Webb, James, sen., boot and shoe maker, Thoroughfare

Welton, Julia, boot and shoe maker, New street

Westrup, John, the Angel inn, Theatre street

Whayman, Matthias, confectioner and baker, St. John’s street

Whincopp, William, wine merchant, Market hill

Whisstock, Frederic, house agent, Sekford street

Whisstock, Mary, boarding and day school for young ladies, Castle street

Whisstock, William, tailor and draper, Thoroughfare

Wilmshurst, William, Mariners’ Arms, New street

Wilson, William, town crier, Angel lane

Woods, John, master mariner, St. John’s street

Woods, Robert, sailmaker and shopkeeper, Plough inn, Bredfield street

Wood, John, solicitor and coroner, offices, Church street, h Thoroughfare

Woods, Charles, boot and shoe maker, St. John’s street

Woods, John and Son, nursery and seedsmen, Cumberland street

Woods, Jane, straw bonnet maker, New street

Wright, Jeremiah. jun., tailor and woollen draper, Church street

Wright, Harriet, dyer, Thoroughfare

Wright, William, boot and shoe maker, Church street

Wright, James, shopkeeper, Bredfield st.

Wright, John, baker, Bredfield street

Wright, John, plumber and glazier, Brook street

Wrinch, Henry, corn merchant, Cumberland street

Youell, John, horsebreaker, Cutting’s lane

Ipswich is a flourishing market town and port, and the capital of the Eastern division of the county of Suffolk, pleasantly situated on the North-east side of the Gripping.  By means of the Eastern Union Railway, Ipswich has now a direct communication with London, Colchester, Norwich, Peterborough, and all parts of the kingdom, and is distant 68 miles N.E. of London; 17 miles N.E. of Colchester; 45 S. of Norwich; 54 S.S.W. of Yarmouth; 8½ W.S.W. of Woodbridge; and 26 miles S.E. by E. of Bury St. Edmund’s.  Contained in 1831, 20,454 inhabitants; in 1841, 24,000; and in 1851, 32,697.  It stands on a gentle declivity, forming part of a circle round a reach of the river, and over which there is an iron bridge, leading to Stoke.

The Public Buildings are—the Town Hall; the Custom House, situated on the Quay; the Corn Exchange; the County Gaol; and the Borough Gaol, in the front of which are the Courts for holding the Summer Assizes, and the Sessional business of the district.  This is an Assize town for Suffolk, place of election, polling place for East Suffolk,a Poor Law Union, and a County Court.  The chief trade of the town arises from the export of corn, malt, cheese, and butter, agricultural implements, &c.

Messrs. Ransomes and Sims., the celebrated agricultural implement makers, have opened an immense trade and manufacture in the town during the last few years.  The Eagle Foundry of Mr. Mason, and St. Peter’s Foundry, belonging to Messrs. Turner, are large establishments, and employ a large number of hands.  There are breweries, maltings, tanneries, ship and boat yards, coach works, cooperages, rope yards, shot foundry, anastatic printing works, soapery, seed mills, manufactory of bricks, tiles, Roman cement, artificial stone, lime, tobacco pipes, baskets, &c.

The Orwell is noted for its picturesque beauty.  This river has been much improved and deepened, and a wet dock has been formed, comprising an area of 33 acres, in which vessels drawing from 14 to 15 feet of water can at all times lay afloat.  The trade and commerce of this port has very materially increased since its formation.  Steam vessels sail every tide to Harwich.

The Market for corn and cattle is held on Tuesday, and the general Market on Tuesday and Saturday.  St. George’s Fair is held on the first Tuesday in May, and two following days, there is also a Stock Fair at the same time.  The Lamb Fair on August 22nd, and two following days, is held at Handford Hall Farm, and is a considerable Fair for the sale of lambs and stock.  There are also monthly sales by auction for horses, cattle, &c., conducted by Mr. J. W. Knights, at his sale yard.  The Corporation consists of the mayor, 10 aldermen, and 30 town councillors.  The town is divided into five wards, viz., St. Clement’s, St. Margaret’s, Middle ward, Bridge ward, and Westgate Gate; each ward returns six councillors for three years, two go out of office every year.  There is a Borough Police.  Since the year 1839, the Summer Assizes have been held here.  The Petty Sessions are held here, and here is a Court both for civil and criminal causes.  No freeman can be compelled to serve on juries out of the town, or to discharge the duties of county officers, excepting that of Sheriff.  The borough returns two members to Parliament.  The parishes are—St. Clement, with 7,050 inhabitants; St. Mary Key, 1,013; St. Lawrence, 590; St. Margaret, 5,892; St. Helen, 2,593; St. Stephen, 522; St. Mary Tower, 995; St. Mary Westfield, 324; St. Matthew, 5,806; St. Peter, 2,541; St. Mary Stoke, 2,031; St. Nicholas, 1,940; St. Mary Elms, 1,051; and St. Mary Whitton, 476.  Trinity church is a chapel of ease to St. Clement’s.  Here are a Jews’ Synagogue, Roman Catholic chapel, 5 Baptist chapels, 2 Independent chapels, an Unitarian chapel, a Quakers’ meeting house, 3 Wesleyan chapels, a Primitive Methodists’, and a Swedenborgian chapel.

There are many objects of interest to the antiquarian in and about the town.  A very fine building was erected on the common Quay in 1845, the centre of which is appropriated as a hall of commerce.

TheMechanics’ Institutionis in a very flourishing condition and has a library of more than 4000 volumes.

TheLiterary Institution, held in a portion of the Town Hall, has belonging to it a library of ancient and modern literature.  The Philosophicaland Philological Societies hold fortnightly meetings, from September to March.

Here are also a Museum, Theatre, Temperance Hall, Public Bath, Fine Art Association, French and Theological Libraries.  There are several Charity Schools, Almshouses, and many charitable institutions, amongst which are the Suffolk and Ipswich Hospital and Dispensary, with 30 beds, situated in Berners street.

About a mile Westward from the town is Sproughton Chantry; the mansion, from its elevated position, commands an extensive and picturesque view of the adjacent country.  Other seats in the neighbourhood are Birkfield Lodge, Holy Wells, the Red House, and Stoke Park, the seat of Peter Robert Burrell, Esq.

St. Clement’s Church, erected about 1500, is a plain structure, consisting of a nave, two spacious side-aisles, and a fine tower, in which are a good clock and six musical bells.  A few years ago, the interior was re-seated, and the exterior flinted and thoroughly repaired.  Among the monuments in the interior is one to the memory of Thomas Eldred, who accompanied Cavendish in his circumnavigation of the globe, during the years 1586–7–8.  The benefice is a rectory, consolidated with that of St. Helen’s, and now valued at £326 per annum.  In monastic times, it was appropriated to the Priory of St. Peter.  The executors of the late Rev. J. T. Nottidge are patrons, and the Rev. W. W. Wodehouse, M.A., is the incumbent.

Trinity Churchis a Chapel of Ease, or District Church, erected in 1835, at a cost of £2,000, by the late Rev. J. T. Nottidge, then patron and incumbent.  The present incumbent is the Rev. F. H. Maude.

St. Helen’s Church, on the East side of the town, is of very ancient foundation, but was rebuilt in 1835, and neat brick transepts added in 1837; and a few years ago the nave was rebuilt and fitted with new open benches.  It was anciently appropriated to the Leprous hospital of St. James, or Mary Magdalen, which stood near it; but it is now a rectory, which ever since the Reformation, has been consolidated with that of St. Clement’s, and is valued in K.B. at £8 13s. 9d.

St. Lawrence’s Churchis a plain but ancient fabric, which is mentioned in Domesday Book, but is said to have been rebuilt in 1431 by John Bottold, who was buried in it, as also was Edmund Daundy, one of the benefactors of the town, who died in 1515.  Upon the wall, behind the western gallery, is a painting of Christ disputing with the doctors, executed by Sir R. K. Porter, a military officer, during his sojourn at the barracks here.  The benefice was appropriated to Trinity Priory, and is now a perpetual curacy, valued at £175.  The parishioners are patrons; the Rev. J. C. Aldrich, incumbent.

St. Margaret’s Church, on the green to which it gives name, is a large and ancient structure of mixed architecture, consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles, and transepts, with a fine tower and south porch.  It has a curious antique font, and a singularly painted ceiling, with several grotesque carvings standing out from the walls.  The benefice is a perpetual curacy, valued at £115, in the patronage of Simeon’s Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. J. Owen, M.A.

St. Mary-at-Elmsis an ancient church, with a brick tower, supposed to stand near or upon the site of St. Saviour’s, as already noticed.  Infront of it is a row of fine elms, and near it are Smyth’s almshouses, and several old dwellings, bearing marks of former grandeur.  This church was appropriated to Trinity Priory, and is now a perpetual curacy, valued at £80, in the gift of the parishioners, and incumbency of the Rev. W. Aldrich, A.B.

St. Mary-at-the-Quayis a plain structure, with a tower curiously built of flint, and containing six bells.  It is commonly called Key Church, and must have been rebuilt after 1448, when Richard Gowty ordered his body to be buried in the churchyard, and gave Calyon stone “for the whole new church, which was to be erected.”  The church spoliator, Dowsing, paid a visit to this edifice in 1643, and tore down nine superstitious pictures, and destroyed many inscriptions.  The roof is supported by light clustered columns; and in a small transept is the tomb of Henry Tooley, the founder of the almshouses bearing his name.  The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £103, in the gift of the parishioners, and incumbency of the Rev. John Duningham, M.A.

St. Mary-at-Stoke, commonly called Stoke Church, is picturesquely seated on the south bank of the river Gipping, opposite the rest of the town, and consists of a nave, chancel, north aisle, a fine tower, and a brick porch.  It is of ancient foundation, but has undergone so many repairs and renovations, that little of the original fabric remains.  It was given by King Edgar, in 970, to the prior and convent of Ely; and their successors, the Dean and Chapter of Ely, are now patrons of the rectory, which is valued in K.B. at £12, and is now worth about £500 per annum; the tithes having been commuted for a yearly modus of £475.  The Rev. Stephen Croft, M.A., is the present incumbent.

St. Mary le Toweris the largest, and is considered the principal church in the town, though only a perpetual curacy, valued at £103, in the gift of the parishioners, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Nassau St. Leger, B.A., who is now military chaplain at Corfu.  The present officiating curate is the Rev. L. Stanton.

St. Matthew’s Church, at the west end of the town, stands in a large burial ground, and is a plain, unassuming structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, side aisles, tower, and south porch.  It was re-pewed about 1840, and was enlarged in 1843 by the extension of the south aisle.  A further enlargement is in contemplation.  The font is ancient, and has a finely carved cover, executed and presented by Mr. Hewett.  At the east end of the south aisle is an elaborately painted glass window, inserted in December, 1853, in memory of the late wife of the present rector.  It was executed by Geo. Hedgeland, Esq., from a design by Edward Howard, Esq., a brother of the deceased.  The church has galleries and about 850 sittings.  The Lord Chancellor is patron, the Rev. Charles Hicks Gaye, M.A., incumbent.

St. Nicholas’ Church, in the lower part of the town, near the river, is supposed to have been built upon the site and partly with the materials of St. Michael’s, which is mentioned in Domesday Book.  It is built partly of flint, and has a cemented tower, containing four bells.  It was repaired and newly fitted with open benches in 1848, at the cost of about £300.  It was appropriated to St. Peter’s Priory, and is now a perpetual curacy, valued at £150, in the gift of the parishioners, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Ward, M.A.

St. Peter’sis one of the most ancient churches in the town, standing close to the site of Wolsey’s College.  It is a plain structure, consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a tower containing six bells.  The tower is a good specimen of the flint work so frequently observed in Suffolk and Norfolk.  In 1842–3, the church was repaired and repewed, and the burial ground enclosed.  A new gallery was erected in 1848.  The font is very ancient, and covered with carvings of animals.  The perpetual curacy, valued at £138, is in the gift of Simeon’s Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. H. T. Lumsden, M.A.

St. Stephen’sis one of the churches mentioned in Domesday Book, and is mostly built of flint, except the tower, which is brick cemented.  It contains a monument, with kneeling effigies of Wm. Leeman and his wife.  The rectory, valued in K.B. at £4. 12s. 8½d., and now at £150, is in the patronage of the Rev. W. Burgess, and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Davidson, B.A.

Chapels.—The twelve parish churches, and the chapel of ease just described, have seat room for about 8,500 persons; and there is accommodation for about 10,000 in the sixteen other places of worship in the town, of which four belong to Baptists, three to Independents, two to Wesleyans, and one each to Roman Catholics, Unitarians, Friends, Primitive Methodists, Swedenborgians, and Jews.

Tacket Street Independent Chapelwas erected in 1720, by the Presbyterian congregation, who had previously, for more than 40 years, occupied a small chapel in the Green yard, St. Peter’s, and were the successors of theNonconformists, who were so called from their refusing to subscribe to everything contained in the Book of Common Prayer, as required by the Act of Uniformity, passed soon after the restoration of Charles II.  This chapel will seat about 800 hearers, and has a good organ and a burial ground.  Near it is a house for the minister, the Rev. W. Notcutt, whose grandfather officiated here till his death in 1756, in his 84th year.  TheIndependent Chapel, in St. Nicholas’ street, is a neat Gothic structure, which was opened in 1829.  It has about 1000 sittings, including the galleries erected in 1839 and 1845.  The Rev. J. Raven is the minister.Salem Independent Chapel, in St. George’s street, is small, and the Rev. J. Gay is its minister.

TheUnitarian Chapel, in St. Nicholas’ street, is one of the oldest chapels in the town, and has a beautifully carved pulpit, and about 1,200 sittings.  Its congregation originated from the meetings of the Nonconformists about 1660, and was for many years Presbyterian, but the chapel was not built till 1700.  The Rev. Henry Knott is the present pastor.

TheFriends’ Meeting House, in Bank street, was built in 1796, and will seat about 700 hearers.

TheRoman Catholic Chapel, on the Woodbridge road, was erected in 1825, and enlarged in 1839, chiefly at the expence of its first priest, the Rev. P. L. Simon, one of the refugees who left France at the commencement of the Revolution, and resided here till his death, in September, 1839.  It is a small building in the early English style, with sittings for 700.  Its priests reside at Stoke by Nayland.

TheBaptist Chapel, in Dairy lane, was built by a congregation ofBaptists formed in 1758.  It has 800 sittings, and is under the ministry of the Rev. Thos. Poock.Zoar Chapel, in David street, was built in 1841, by the Baptists who seceded from Dairy lane chapel in 1829.  It cost about £900, and has 500 sittings, but no pews.Turret Lane Chapel, erected in 1842, belongs to the Particular Baptists, and is under the ministry of the Rev. Isaac Lord.Stoke Chapelis the largest of the four Baptist chapels in Ipswich, and was erected in 1774, but has since been rebuilt and several times enlarged, so that it will now seat about 900 hearers.  It is an octangular building, and is now under the ministry of the Rev. J. Webb.

TheWesleyan Chapel, in New Market lane, was erected in 1816, and is a neat brick building, containing about 1000 sittings.  TheWesleyan Association Methodist Chapel, in Friar street, was built in 1837, for about 850 hearers; and thePrimitive Methodist Chapel, in Rope lane, was built in 1839, and has about 500 sittings.

TheJews’ Synagogue, in Rope lane, is a small brick building with pointed windows.  The Jews have a small burial ground in Salter’s lane, and Mr. Levy Lamburgh is their rabbi.

TheNew Jerusalem Church, in High street, is a small building erected in 1847, by Swedenborgians, and now under the ministry of the Rev. D. G. Goyder, M.D.

ThePlymouth Brethrenhave a meeting room in Prince’s street.

Abbott, Rev., St. George’s terrace, Globe lane

Adye, Mrs. Elizabeth S., Silent street

Aldrich, Rev. William, Northgate street

Alexander, Richard D., Esq., Saint Matthew’s street

Alexander, Capt. Henry, Woodbridge road

Alexander, Miss Jane, St. Helen’s street

Anness, Richard, St. Austin’s street, St. Peter’s

Archer, Mr. William, Woodbridge road

Bacon, Edward, Esq., Tavern street

Baker, Mrs. Sarah, Carr street

Barney, Mr. William M., Victoria road

Bartlett, Mrs. E., Lower Brook street

Blanchflower, Rev. George, Wesleyan minister, St. George’s terrace, Globe lane

Boby, Mr. William, Tacket street

Bond, Henry Cooper, Esq., St. Helen’s street

Bond, Mrs. Maria, St. Margaret’s street

Baynes William, Esq., Berrington road

Bradley, Mr. Jonathan B., St. Matthew’s terrace, London road

Bridges, John Hart, Friars’ road

Broadbank, Mrs. Elizabeth, St. Margaret’s plain

Brown, William, Esq., Gyppeswyk hall

Bruff, Peter, Esq., Handford lodge, Handford road

Buck, Mr. George, Woodbridge road

Buck, Mrs. Mary, Norwich road

Burton, Joseph, Esq., Bolton hill

Burrows, Samuel, Esq., Fonnereau road

Burrows, Mr. Robert, senr., Victoria road

Butcher, Mr. George Frederick, Barrington road

Butler, the Misses, Berners street

Byles, Jeremiah, Esq., Hill house

Chapman, Samuel B., Esq., Berners street

Chapman, Mr. H., Tower lodge, Tower str.

Chevalier, Barrington, Esq., Grove house, St. Helen’s

Churchman, William, Esq., Belmont terrace, London road

Christie, John, Esq., Norwich road

Clarke, Misses, St. Nicholas’ street

Clarke, Mr. Joseph, Berners street

Clarkson, Rev. William, Albert terrace, Norwich road

Cobbold, John, Esq., Cliffe house

Cobbold, John Chevalier, Esq., M.P., Tower street

Cobbold, Mrs., Northgate street

Cobbold, Arthur, Esq., Rose Hill cottage

Coe, Charles, Esq., Berners street

Cole, Mr. Ebenezer, St. Nicholas’ place

Cole, Mr. James, Berners street

Corder, Edward, Esq., Woodbridge road

Corder, Mr. James, Berners street

Cowell, Mrs. Martha, St. Nicholas’ street

Cowell, Samuel Harrison, Esq., Berners st.

Crisp, Miss Susanna, Norwich road

Cutting, Miss Elizabeth, Haills terrace, London road

Crowe, Mrs. Harriet, Woodbridge road

Daniel, Rev. J. E., chaplain to the County gaol

Davy, John, Esq., Bramford road

Deane, Charles, Esq., Woodbridge road

Dobson, Miss, St. Peter’s street

Dove, Mrs., Berners street

Eade, Mrs. Ann, Priory place

Elwes, Timms H., Esq., Fonnereau road

Ensor, Mrs. Hannah, Northgate street

Faires, Mr. William B., Berners street

Fison, Joseph, Esq., Stoke hill

Fitch, Miss Emma, Norwich road

Footman, Mrs. Harriet, Tower street

Forter, Miss Louisa, Lower Brook street

Fosdike, Mrs. Elizabeth, Silent street

Frewer, Mr. Isaac, Berners street

Fuller, Mr. James, Berners street

Gale, Mr. William, Norwich road

Goss, Miss Louisa, Park terrace

Gooch, Miss Mary, Museum street

Goodchild, Miss Emma, St. Helen’s str.

Gower, C. F., Esq., Novia Scotia house, Wherstead road

Green, Mr. William, Woodbridge road

Groom, Mrs. Ann, London road

Hardy, Mrs. Elizabeth, Orwell place

Harper, Mrs. Mary, Norwich road

Harcourt, Frederic, Esq., Norwich road

Heath, Mrs., Belmont terrace, London road

Head, Miss Caroline, Woodbridge road

Hedge, J. H., Esq., North Lodge, Norwich rd

Hill, Mrs. Mary, Park terrace

Howard, Mr. Crisp, Berners street

Hockley, Colonel, St. Matthew’s street

Howth, Mrs. Eliza, Northgate street

Hunt, Edward, Esq., Woodbridge road

Hunt, John, Esq., Norwich road

Hunt, Mr. J., St. Peter’s street

Hunt, Miss Ann, London road

Hunt, Mr. William, Fonnereau

Innes, Miss Charlotte, Westgate street

Jackson, Mrs. Sarah, Elm street

Jaynes, Mrs. Mary Anne, Priory place

Johnson, Mrs. Ann, Victoria road

Jones, Mrs. Harriet, Globe lane

Kittoe, Mrs., Northgate street

Kelly, Sir Fitzroy, M.P. for East Suffolk, the Chantry

Kembell, Hamment, Esq., Museum street

Kent, Mr. Abraham, Curriers’ lane

Kerrison, Roger H. Esq., Hill house, Woodbridge road

Kindred, Mr. Matthew E., Berners street

Last, Mrs. Elizabeth, Park terrace

Lackard, Edward, Esq., Westfield house

Lane, Samuel, Esq., Lower Brook street

Leath, Thomas R., Esq., Woodbridge rd.

Lester, Miss Mary Ann, Berners street

Leverett, Mrs. Maria Ann, Berners street

Lott, Miss, Westgate street

Marriott, Mrs. Martha D., Woodbridge road

Mason, Mrs. Eliza, Lower Brook street

Mason, Rev. Thomas, Carr street

Maw, John, Esq., Woodbridge road

May, Mr. John M., Berners street

Matthew, Mrs. Hannah, Promenade terrace, London road

Mitchell, Mrs. Ann, Victoria road

Morgan, Mrs. Louisa, Woodbridge road

Morgan, Miss Elizabeth, Bolton hill

Mudd, Mr. George, London road

Neves, Mrs. Elizabeth, St. Nicholas’ street

Orford, John, Esq., Brook hall, Norwich road

Parker, Miss Betsy, Berners street

Pering, Mrs. Mary, Berners street

Perkin, Mrs. Mary Ann, St. Helen’s street

Perry, Robert, Esq., Berners street

Perry, Miss Sophia, Berners street

Phillips, Lieut.-Col., Stoke hall

Pitcairn, Mrs. May, Fonnereau road

Pipe, Mrs. Ann, Tavern street

Porter, Mrs. Mary Ann, Orwell place

Powell, Miss, St. Peter’s street

Pyemont, Miss, Park terrace

Ram, James, Esq., barrister, Silent street

Ramsay, Mrs. Jeannet, Berner street

Ransome, Robert, Esq., Fonnereau road

Ransome, James A., Esq., Carr street

Ransome, Frederic, Esq., Lower Brook street

Raven, Rev. John, Independent minister, Berners street

Read, Mr. Edward, London road

Ridley, Frederic, Esq., Adelphi place, Lower Brook street

Ridley, Mrs. Marian, Adelphi place, Lower Brook street

Rist, Mrs., Adelphi place, Lower Brook street

Rudkin, John, Esq., Adelphi place, Lower Brook street

Reeve, Mr. Robert, Berrington road

Ridley, Samuel, Esq., Norwich road

Rivers, Mrs., Woodbridge road

Rodwell, William, Esq., Woodlands

Root, Mr. William, jun., Lower Brook st.

Sanders, Mrs. Elizabeth, Oriel cottage, London road

Shuttleworth, Thomas, Esq., Rosary, Bramford road

Sibly, Miss Urania, Globe lane

Smith, Misses A. and C., Fonnereau road

Spalding, Mrs. Rachel, Silent street

Squirrill, Mr. Robert, Victoria road

Stanford, Mrs., St. George’s terrace, Globe lane

Stone, Misses M. and L., St. Nicholas, street

Stebbings, Miss Susan, Orwell place

Thurston, Mrs. Sarah B., Queen street

Trill, Mrs. Louisa F., St. Matthew’s street

Turner, Edward, College street

Turner, Major, Westgate street

Turner, Miss, London road

Turner, the Misses, Christ Church park house

Tunney, Mrs. Louisa, Foundation street

Unwin, Mrs., Berners street

Vulliamy, Frederic, Esq., St. Margaret’s green

Ward, Rev. Charles, Woodbridge road

Walford, Capt. William, of the royal navy, Haills terrace, London road

Waitehill, Mrs., Adelphi place, Lower Brook street

Ward, Miss Elizabeth, Priory place

Webber, Samuel, Esq., White House

Williams, Mr. Robert, Victoria road


Back to IndexNext