In the village of Yelvertoft, which has a population of between six and seven hundred inhabitants, there is a neat Independent Chapel, capable of accommodating near four hundred persons, situated about the centre of the village, with school-rooms adjoining. Passing on to a rather lower part of the village, on the opposite side may be observed a respectable dwelling-house, with garden and orchard, which is the residence of the Independent minister. To be able to go back to the commencement, and trace the onward progress of such a cause, thus situated, must be especially gratifying to those who are now connected with it, while it might be gratifying to all who take an interest in the things that relate to the kingdom of Christ and the highest welfare of men.
It is not more than sixty years since the present Chapel was erected, an Independent minister regularly settled as pastor, and a Church formed on Congregational principles; but in the early part of the last century, occasional services were conducted here by Dissenting ministers, chiefly from Welford, where those residing in Yelvertoft who dissented from the Established Church were in the habit of attending.
In the book containing the records of the Church,we find an account of the earliest efforts made by Nonconformists in this village, and how they led on to the formation of the present interest. This account we shall now present to the reader.
Some time before any attempt at all was made to introduce the preached Gospel into this place, and also during the time that the weekly lectures only were enjoyed, a few persons were in the habit of going to Welford (about five miles distant), where they could attend that mode of worship which appeared to them most agreeable to the word of God; and there can be little doubt that it was at the suggestion of some of them that the preaching of the Gospel here was commenced.When this took place (which must be now, if it occurred in the time of Mr. Norris, who died in 1738, nearly one hundred and twenty years ago),[8]a private house was licensed, to afford the minister at Welford an opportunity to preach a week-day lecture. It is probable, though difficult to ascertain with certainty, that Mr. Norris, of Welford, was the first that ever preached the Gospel in this place amongst Dissenters. His service consisted of a monthly lecture on a Tuesday afternoon, which was continued by his successor, the Rev. Samuel King. The number that usually attended on these occasions was between twenty and thirty, composed in part of the revered ancestors of those families that form no small part of the present congregation.In the year 1758, a place was fitted up out of an old barn, in a central part of the village, for the better accommodation of those who attended. Then it appears, at least towards the close of Mr. King's service, in addition to the monthly lecture, the students from the Independent Academy, then at Daventry, supplied occasionally on the Sabbath-day—procured, perhaps, through the instrumentality of Mr. Richard Norton; and partly from this circumstance, together with occasional help when it could be had, and the greater convenience of the place for worship, the congregation graduallyincreased, notwithstanding the fact that a Dissenting place of worship was considered by many a degradation, and the name of Dissenter or Presbyterian, which were confounded with each other, had considerable odium attached to it. It is to be observed, however, that the means of grace about this time were very irregularly enjoyed, for, besides its being but seldom on the Sabbath, the monthly lecture was continued only nine months in the year, beginning about the first Tuesday in October, and continuing till Midsummer. [The lecture being preached on the afternoon of a week-day, we suppose they found it necessary to omit the service during the busy seasons of agriculture, the hay time and the harvest.]From tradition, which is indeed the chief source whence this imperfect account has been drawn, it would seem that the first person who assumed anything like the character of a settled minister was a Mr. Bryson, the author of a book explanatory of the 8th chapter of the Epistle to the Romans. He was one of those ministers the late Countess of Huntingdon in her liberality provided, as a means in the hands of Christ to extend his Church. He stayed here about two years. As her Ladyship had been solicited to permit Mr. Bryson to continue, he being much approved of after he had been heard a little while, it is likely that she would consider herself as bound to attend to the necessities of this place, for three more gentlemen who were under her directions followed in succession. The next who succeeded was a Mr. Green, whose services were enjoyed but one year. After him followed a Mr. Porter, who, leaving at the expiration of a year, was succeeded by a Mr. Pritchard, who it seems did not stay quite one year. These ministers being, as to their personal expenses, permitted to draw upon their patroness, the people had only to provide them board and lodging; they boarded amongst the friends, as circumstances determined. The labours of these men were followed up by those of a Mr. Coulson, who divided his attention between Rugby and this place. He resided some time at Hillmorton, but afterwards came and lived here, and this place then enjoyed the whole of his services. He commenced his labours in the year 1783,and continued until the year 1788, occupying during his residence here a house adjoining the premises used as a place of worship.About three months after the removal of Mr. Coulson, in which there was no public worship (an inconvenience which the cause here had experienced more than once), Mr. Garner, who properly speaking was settled at Kilsby, preached here one part of the day for about three months, his services commencing at Michaelmas and ending at Christmas the same year. Mr. Jones was the next person who endeavoured to advance the Redeemer's cause in this place. He lived at West Haddon, whose services at both places were all which at the time they enjoyed. He continued in this sphere about two years—first preached here in the beginning of the year 1789, and left in November of the year 1790.Although we have reason to hope that during all these years the labours of the several persons above named were not entirely useless, but that some persons were suitably impressed with divine things, and lived and died under the influence of them, contributing in some humble proportion to preserve the worship of the true God, yet it is certain that a Church was never formed, and that the ordinance of the Lord's Supper was never administered, until a period to which we are now approaching. Those who felt themselves to be members of the invisible Church of Christ, and were desirous of commemorating his dying love, sought the privilege in the neighbouring Churches, as their particular views led them.It was in the beginning of March, in the year 1791, that Mr. Knight was, by the good providence of God, called to this place; and it was now that the cause of Christ, after experiencing many vicissitudes and serious interruptions in its progress, was destined to enjoy a greater permanency and regularity in the means of grace than it had ever done from its first existence.Mr. Knight was a student from the academy at Mile End. He left the academy to come and reside amongst this people when the cause of Christ did not present a very encouraging appearance; and he was removed from hence to his eternalrest, this being the only place that enjoyed the stated labours of that highly esteemed servant of God. He served his great Master in this place from March, 1791, to September, 1822, a period of more than thirty years. During his ministry the cause of religion was considerably improved. The present Chapel, a very compact one, capable of accommodating two hundred and sixty persons [it has since been enlarged] was erected in the year 1792, in a very suitable part of the village, and near the site of the former place. Whilst it was erecting, the service of God was performed in a spacious barn. Mr. Knight had been here some time when his ordination took place. The following ministers took the principal parts in the services of that day: Mr. Grundy delivered the charge, from Titus ii. 15, last clause; Mr. Gill preached to the people, from 2 Thessalonians iii. 16. Mr. Horsey preached in the evening, from Acts xiii. 40. The service was highly interesting, bringing together great numbers, being rather novel at that time to many in this neighbourhood. After the ordination a Church was formed, which at the beginning was small; but in the course of Mr. Knight's ministry several were added as the fruit of his labours. As must be expected, however, in a place circumstanced as this is, the Church never reached to any very great number. It has so happened, indeed, that soon after any who promised to be a great acquisition to the Church, and to form its brightest ornament, were joined to it, they were removed by providence to some other place; and when the Church has been deprived of two or three of its members venerable for their experience, by the stroke of death, the Church's loss being their eternal gain, the void thus made has not been speedily made up; so that the Church has assumed those appearances which have served alternately to raise and depress the spirits of those who tremble for the Ark of God. Some, indeed, of those who have been reluctantly transferred to other Churches, remain, not only as monuments of divine mercy and preserving grace, but as proofs of usefulness attending the ministry of the Gospel here; and many have fallen asleep in Christ, a part preceding and the others following him who had been the honoured instrument of their conversion.
Some time before any attempt at all was made to introduce the preached Gospel into this place, and also during the time that the weekly lectures only were enjoyed, a few persons were in the habit of going to Welford (about five miles distant), where they could attend that mode of worship which appeared to them most agreeable to the word of God; and there can be little doubt that it was at the suggestion of some of them that the preaching of the Gospel here was commenced.
When this took place (which must be now, if it occurred in the time of Mr. Norris, who died in 1738, nearly one hundred and twenty years ago),[8]a private house was licensed, to afford the minister at Welford an opportunity to preach a week-day lecture. It is probable, though difficult to ascertain with certainty, that Mr. Norris, of Welford, was the first that ever preached the Gospel in this place amongst Dissenters. His service consisted of a monthly lecture on a Tuesday afternoon, which was continued by his successor, the Rev. Samuel King. The number that usually attended on these occasions was between twenty and thirty, composed in part of the revered ancestors of those families that form no small part of the present congregation.
In the year 1758, a place was fitted up out of an old barn, in a central part of the village, for the better accommodation of those who attended. Then it appears, at least towards the close of Mr. King's service, in addition to the monthly lecture, the students from the Independent Academy, then at Daventry, supplied occasionally on the Sabbath-day—procured, perhaps, through the instrumentality of Mr. Richard Norton; and partly from this circumstance, together with occasional help when it could be had, and the greater convenience of the place for worship, the congregation graduallyincreased, notwithstanding the fact that a Dissenting place of worship was considered by many a degradation, and the name of Dissenter or Presbyterian, which were confounded with each other, had considerable odium attached to it. It is to be observed, however, that the means of grace about this time were very irregularly enjoyed, for, besides its being but seldom on the Sabbath, the monthly lecture was continued only nine months in the year, beginning about the first Tuesday in October, and continuing till Midsummer. [The lecture being preached on the afternoon of a week-day, we suppose they found it necessary to omit the service during the busy seasons of agriculture, the hay time and the harvest.]
From tradition, which is indeed the chief source whence this imperfect account has been drawn, it would seem that the first person who assumed anything like the character of a settled minister was a Mr. Bryson, the author of a book explanatory of the 8th chapter of the Epistle to the Romans. He was one of those ministers the late Countess of Huntingdon in her liberality provided, as a means in the hands of Christ to extend his Church. He stayed here about two years. As her Ladyship had been solicited to permit Mr. Bryson to continue, he being much approved of after he had been heard a little while, it is likely that she would consider herself as bound to attend to the necessities of this place, for three more gentlemen who were under her directions followed in succession. The next who succeeded was a Mr. Green, whose services were enjoyed but one year. After him followed a Mr. Porter, who, leaving at the expiration of a year, was succeeded by a Mr. Pritchard, who it seems did not stay quite one year. These ministers being, as to their personal expenses, permitted to draw upon their patroness, the people had only to provide them board and lodging; they boarded amongst the friends, as circumstances determined. The labours of these men were followed up by those of a Mr. Coulson, who divided his attention between Rugby and this place. He resided some time at Hillmorton, but afterwards came and lived here, and this place then enjoyed the whole of his services. He commenced his labours in the year 1783,and continued until the year 1788, occupying during his residence here a house adjoining the premises used as a place of worship.
About three months after the removal of Mr. Coulson, in which there was no public worship (an inconvenience which the cause here had experienced more than once), Mr. Garner, who properly speaking was settled at Kilsby, preached here one part of the day for about three months, his services commencing at Michaelmas and ending at Christmas the same year. Mr. Jones was the next person who endeavoured to advance the Redeemer's cause in this place. He lived at West Haddon, whose services at both places were all which at the time they enjoyed. He continued in this sphere about two years—first preached here in the beginning of the year 1789, and left in November of the year 1790.
Although we have reason to hope that during all these years the labours of the several persons above named were not entirely useless, but that some persons were suitably impressed with divine things, and lived and died under the influence of them, contributing in some humble proportion to preserve the worship of the true God, yet it is certain that a Church was never formed, and that the ordinance of the Lord's Supper was never administered, until a period to which we are now approaching. Those who felt themselves to be members of the invisible Church of Christ, and were desirous of commemorating his dying love, sought the privilege in the neighbouring Churches, as their particular views led them.
It was in the beginning of March, in the year 1791, that Mr. Knight was, by the good providence of God, called to this place; and it was now that the cause of Christ, after experiencing many vicissitudes and serious interruptions in its progress, was destined to enjoy a greater permanency and regularity in the means of grace than it had ever done from its first existence.
Mr. Knight was a student from the academy at Mile End. He left the academy to come and reside amongst this people when the cause of Christ did not present a very encouraging appearance; and he was removed from hence to his eternalrest, this being the only place that enjoyed the stated labours of that highly esteemed servant of God. He served his great Master in this place from March, 1791, to September, 1822, a period of more than thirty years. During his ministry the cause of religion was considerably improved. The present Chapel, a very compact one, capable of accommodating two hundred and sixty persons [it has since been enlarged] was erected in the year 1792, in a very suitable part of the village, and near the site of the former place. Whilst it was erecting, the service of God was performed in a spacious barn. Mr. Knight had been here some time when his ordination took place. The following ministers took the principal parts in the services of that day: Mr. Grundy delivered the charge, from Titus ii. 15, last clause; Mr. Gill preached to the people, from 2 Thessalonians iii. 16. Mr. Horsey preached in the evening, from Acts xiii. 40. The service was highly interesting, bringing together great numbers, being rather novel at that time to many in this neighbourhood. After the ordination a Church was formed, which at the beginning was small; but in the course of Mr. Knight's ministry several were added as the fruit of his labours. As must be expected, however, in a place circumstanced as this is, the Church never reached to any very great number. It has so happened, indeed, that soon after any who promised to be a great acquisition to the Church, and to form its brightest ornament, were joined to it, they were removed by providence to some other place; and when the Church has been deprived of two or three of its members venerable for their experience, by the stroke of death, the Church's loss being their eternal gain, the void thus made has not been speedily made up; so that the Church has assumed those appearances which have served alternately to raise and depress the spirits of those who tremble for the Ark of God. Some, indeed, of those who have been reluctantly transferred to other Churches, remain, not only as monuments of divine mercy and preserving grace, but as proofs of usefulness attending the ministry of the Gospel here; and many have fallen asleep in Christ, a part preceding and the others following him who had been the honoured instrument of their conversion.
Here the account closes, as written by one hand. It appears to have been penned shortly after the death of Mr. Knight.
We have some rather slight recollections of Mr. Knight. The year preceding his own death he was present at the funeral of the Rev. T. N. Toller, of Kettering, when he offered a solemn suitable prayer before the delivery of the funeral sermon by Mr. Hall. At the half-yearly meeting of the Association, held the next April, at Rowell, he delivered a sermon in reference to the character and death of Mr. Toller, from Acts xiii. 36: "After he had served his own generation according to the will of God, he fell on sleep." The next year Mr. Knight died, in an equally sudden manner. In person he was robust, with a florid countenance; his manner in the pulpit was earnest and impressive, but laborious, strained, and sometimes painful to the occasional hearer; his voice was powerful, but rather harsh. A ministry faithful and persevering left its testimony in the hearts of his people. He was highly esteemed by his brethren, and by a considerable circle of Christian friends.
For about six months from this time the pulpit was kindly supplied by the neighbouring ministers; after which, Mr. Nettleship, from Rotherham Academy, was invited on probation for a month, which invitation was renewed with a view to a final settlement; but he declined acceding to it. After an interval of two months, during which several students from Mr. Scott's seminary at Rowell preached, Mr. Gibson, from Rotherham, paid a probationary visit, and on further invitation resided here three years, at the expiration of which he was induced by various circumstances to direct his attention to some other part of the vineyardof the Lord. This left the congregation again destitute of a minister, and opened the way for the introduction of Mr. Barber, who had been educated for the ministry at Wymondley, and came here the 30th of July, 1826. His ordination took place October 9th, 1827, on which occasion the following ministers were engaged:—Mr. Gawthorne, of Derby, stated the nature of a Christian Church; Mr. Scott, of Rowell, gave the charge; Mr. Pinkerton, of Weedon, preached to the people; Mr. Hobson, of Welford, offered the ordination prayer. Mr. Gravestock, of Old, addressed the congregation in the evening.
Mr. Barber remained the highly respected pastor of this Christian Church until October, 1831, when, agreeably to his own wish, he removed to go into America. He and his wife set sail on the 20th of October.
The congregation was supplied two Sabbaths by students from Rowell; and on the 23rd of the same month in which Mr. Barber left, Mr. Islip, late pastor of the Independent Church at Ketton, Rutlandshire, entered on his stated labours here.
It was during the ministry of Mr. Barber that the dwelling-house for the minister was rebuilt, and fitted up in the state in which it now appears. In the spring of the next year after Mr. Islip commenced his ministry, the Chapel was enlarged ten feet in length, and completed by the 8th of July. The cost of enlargement was £110, which, with a debt remaining on the house, was in the spring of 1837 entirely defrayed by the united efforts of the friends.
Mr. Islip's ministry was attended with a good degree of comfort and success, but was of rather short continuance here, for, owing to the unfavourable state of his health, he was obliged to resign his charge afterabout six years' labour in this situation. He was succeeded by Mr. G. Nettleship, who, after labouring thirteen years and a half in another situation in Cumberland, accepted now the united invitation of this Church and congregation to become their pastor. Mr. Nettleship commenced his stated labours here on the 18th of June, 1837, and removed from Yelvertoft in the year 1846, when he was shortly after succeeded by the Rev. Thomas James, the present pastor of the Church.
The number of Church members recorded when Mr. Barber commenced his ministry in 1826 was twenty-one; and five in addition appear to have been admitted by him. About the same number we find when Mr. Islip took the pastoral charge of this people in 1831. On the first Sabbath in April, 1837, the minister writes—"This closes the services and the pastorate of Thomas Islip: twenty-eight admitted." When Mr. Nettleship commenced his labours, there appears to have been forty-five members in the Church; and there were thirty added during his ministry. Since Mr. James accepted the pastoral office, thirty-two additions have been made to the Church; and during his ministry new school-rooms have been erected for the children of the Sabbath-school, at a cost of £116. The present number of communicants is above 80. There are 130 or 135 children attending the Sabbath-schools.
There is a Chapel in the village of Swinford, about four miles from Yelvertoft, connected with this cause, in which a regular Sabbath-evening service is conducted by the pastor of this Church. There have been occasional services here for some years past, and a new Chapel was erected a few years ago.
Thus we have seen that there has been a gradual and pleasing advancement in this cause, giving hope of still further tokens of the divine presence and favour; while the pastor and his flock unitedly plead, "Let thy work still appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children."
The Independent Church in the village of Wollaston is of rather recent formation. Not more than sixty-four years have passed since the professing Christians residing in this place who dissented from the Established Church were formed into a regular independent Christian society; but in looking back to the early days of Nonconformity, we find a Mr. Edmund Matthews, a man of good learning, sound judgment, and serious piety, who had been the vicar of Wollaston, resigning the living, refusing to submit to the terms imposed by the Act of Uniformity, coming out from the Church, and taking his place among the noble band of Nonconformist worthies. It was a considerable sacrifice that he had to make, for truth and a good conscience. "Cut off from his former means of support, he lived privately at Wellingborough, and practised as a medical man, but was often reduced to great straits. When things were at the lowest, he would commit his wife and seven children to the care of Providence; and God mercifully appeared for them. He was laid on the bed of affliction, and saw his end approaching, with the prospect of leaving his family unprovided for. There came a messenger from two of his relations, one a draper and the other a minister,bidding him be easy about his wife and children, for the one would clothe them all, and the other provide them with food;" and to show how well they were disposed of, it is stated "that his wife afterwards practised medicine, and sent two of her sons to the University, while the eldest daughter married a knight." Mr. Matthews was a man full of compassion and genuine charity; exemplary for faith, meekness, patience, resignation to the will of God, and reliance on the promises. He had great comfort in death.
It does not appear that Mr. Matthews made any attempt to raise a congregation or to carry on his ministry after his ejectment; but as there were Nonconformist ministers who in this early period took opportunities to preach the Gospel at Wellingborough, which is within four miles of Wollaston, those who separated from the Established Church in the latter place would travel to the former to attend those services, and would become connected with the Independent Churches that were early formed there, while they endeavoured to obtain occasional services in the village where they resided.
It was soon after the middle of the last century that the present Chapel was built, viz., in 1752; but it was not until the year 1788 that the Church was formed and the first pastor settled. In that year Mr. Perry, of Lavendon Mill, near Olney, was invited to take the pastoral charge over them. He was the intimate friend and had been the fellow-labourer of Mr. Raban, who was pastor of the Church at Yardley Hastings. They had been connected with the Established Church at Olney; both of them had engaged in delivering exhortations at meetings for social prayer and for the mutual improvement of their fellow Christians whobelonged to the Church. These engagements were the means of introducing them to further service, so that they both became pastors of Independent Churches in these villages, which were but a short distance from their former abode.
In the records of the Church at West End, Wellingborough, it is stated that "at a Church-meeting held October 5th, 1778, Mr. Perry, of Lavendon Mill, who had for some time before exercised his gifts among Dissenters, though at that time in connexion with the Church of England as by law established, having testified his desire to join this Church with a view to his being sent out to the ministry in an orderly way, he came, and gave an account of his call to speak the word, the reasons that induced him to approve of the order of Congregational Churches, and his reasons for desiring to join with this Church. He was proposed to the Church to join next Church-meeting." In a month from this time another meeting was held, when "Mr. Perry gave in his experience to great satisfaction, and then, according to former appointment, preached amongst us to good satisfaction also; and the Church being consulted, they thought it was plainly their duty to send brother Perry out to preach the Gospel wherever the Lord should be pleased to call him, and concluded the next Church-meeting should be held for that end and purpose." Then it was unanimously agreed that brother Perry should preach wherever Providence should call him.
It appears that Mr. Perry put himself into the hands of this Church that they might judge of his qualifications for the ministry, with a determination to submit to the judgment they formed. In the year 1778 it is recorded, "we dismissed brother Perry to the newlyformed Church at Wollaston, and on May 28th he was ordained their pastor."
Some time before this Mr. Perry had been preaching at Wollaston, and when he was invited to the pastoral office twenty-four persons had united together in the fellowship of the Gospel. At the ordination service, Mr. Hillyard prayed; Mr. Carver stated the nature of the service, and proposed the usual inquiries; Mr. Raban offered the ordination prayer; Mr. Carver gave the charge, from Rev. ii. 10—"Be thou faithful unto death," &c.; Mr. Bull preached to the people, from Phil. i. 27—"Only let your conversation be as it becometh the Gospel of Christ." In the evening Mr. Greathead prayed, and Mr. Goode preached from Psalm li. 18—"Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion," &c.
Mr. Perry's ministry, after his settlement, was of short duration, scarcely extending to five years; during its continuance he admitted twelve members to the small society. On February 28th, 1793, he died. He was interred at Lavendon the Sabbath following, when Mr. Raban preached the funeral sermon, from 1 Thessalonians ii. 8—"So, being affectionately desirous of you," &c. He was a man of a truly pious, affectionate spirit, and was much beloved by the little flock over which he presided.
Immediately after the death of Mr. Perry, another member of the Church at Wellingborough, who had been chosen to the office of a deacon there, but who was resident in Wollaston, was called to take the oversight of this infant Church. In the records of the Church to which he belonged it is stated, under the date of April 8th, 1793, "Brother David Hennell exercised his gifts by expounding Scripture to the Church in the vestry, which was very acceptable."October 3rd, "He was dismissed to the pastoral office, having the united and fervent desire of his Church for his usefulness and comfort." The friends at Wollaston record, "immediately after the burial of our late worthy pastor, the Lord was pleased to show us he had seen our distress and heard our cries, for he was disposing the mind of a dear friend of this place to the work of the ministry—Mr. David Hennell. His gifts were tried at Wellingborough, at the Church to which he belonged, under Mr. Carver, and approved; they in Christian love gave him liberty, unanimously, to come and statedly preach amongst us. The ordination service was held October 8th, 1794, when Mr. Raban commenced and asked the questions; Mr. Carver delivered the charge, from Matthew xxviii. 20—'Teaching them to observe all things,' &c.; Mr. Bull preached to the people, from 1 Thessalonians v. 12, 13—'I beseech you, brethren, to know them which are over you in the Lord,' &c. Mr. Hillyard, junior, preached in the evening, from Acts xi. 23."
Mr. Hennell continued his services as pastor for twenty-nine years, and during that time the place of worship underwent some enlargement, and some additions were gradually made to the Church, seventy-five members being added during the course of his ministry. At the commencement of the year 1822, owing to advancing years and increasing infirmities, Mr. Hennell felt it to be his duty to resign his office, which he did on Lord's-day, January 21st.
Immediately after this, the attention of the people was directed to Mr. Thomas Coleman, who was a member of the Independent Church at Kettering, then under the pastoral care of the Rev. T. N. Toller. Mr. Coleman had preached at Wollaston for the firsttime on the Christmas-day previous to the resignation of Mr. Hennell, and was now invited to preach to them on probation. This engagement was continued until Midsummer, when he was invited to become the pastor, and was ordained September 5th, 1822. The following is the record preserved of the ordination service:—
Mr. West, of Harrold, read the Scriptures and prayed; Mr. Morris, of Olney, delivered the introductory discourse and asked the questions; Mr. Hennell, the former pastor, gave a brief statement of the steps that had led to the formation of the present connexion; Mr. Coleman stated the motives which he trusted influenced him to engage in the work, the reasons why he preferred to exercise his ministry among Dissenters, and his views of the doctrines of the Gospel; Mr. Jacomb, of Wellingborough, offered the ordination prayer; Mr. Renals, of the same place, delivered the charge, from 1 Tim. iv. 16—"Take heed to thyself and to thy doctrine," &c.; Mr. Toller, of Kettering, preached to the people, from 1 Peter ii. 2—"As new-born babes desire the sincere milk of the word," &c. Mr. Pickering, of Brigstock, preached in the evening, from Col. i. 12—"Giving thanks unto the Father," &c.A Sabbath-school was first formed here after this settlement.
Mr. West, of Harrold, read the Scriptures and prayed; Mr. Morris, of Olney, delivered the introductory discourse and asked the questions; Mr. Hennell, the former pastor, gave a brief statement of the steps that had led to the formation of the present connexion; Mr. Coleman stated the motives which he trusted influenced him to engage in the work, the reasons why he preferred to exercise his ministry among Dissenters, and his views of the doctrines of the Gospel; Mr. Jacomb, of Wellingborough, offered the ordination prayer; Mr. Renals, of the same place, delivered the charge, from 1 Tim. iv. 16—"Take heed to thyself and to thy doctrine," &c.; Mr. Toller, of Kettering, preached to the people, from 1 Peter ii. 2—"As new-born babes desire the sincere milk of the word," &c. Mr. Pickering, of Brigstock, preached in the evening, from Col. i. 12—"Giving thanks unto the Father," &c.
A Sabbath-school was first formed here after this settlement.
Mr. Hennell survived nearly eight years after the ordination of his successor, and acted during the whole of that period in the most kind and affectionate manner towards him. He died July 28th, 1830. By his request, his death was improved by his successor, from words chosen by the preacher as appropriate to his character and the peaceful close of his life (Luke ii. 29): "Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word."
In the year 1831 Mr. Coleman removed from Wollaston, having received an unanimous invitation from the Church and congregation at Ashley and Wilbarston.During his ministry twenty-two members had been admitted to the Church.
After this, Mr. Edwards was engaged in preaching to the people for about ten months. When he had left them, different supplies were engaged, until, at the commencement of the year 1834, Mr. Thomas Lord, who was a member of the Independent Church, Castle Hill, Northampton, was engaged as a supply. His services proving acceptable, after a suitable time of trial he was invited to become the pastor, and was ordained October 24th, 1834, when Mr. Morris again stated the nature of a Christian Church, and asked the questions; Mr. Renals offered the ordination prayer; Mr. Bennett, of Northampton, delivered the charge, from 1 Tim. iv. 6—"A good minister of Jesus Christ;" Mr. Phillips, of Harrold, preached to the people, from Phil. ii. 1—"If there be therefore any consolation in Christ," &c. Mr. Vorley, of Charlton, preached in the evening, from Phil. i. 27—"Only let your conversation," &c. Mr. Lord's ministry here continued until the year 1845, when he removed to Brigstock. During the course of it about fifty members were added to the Church; but ere it closed, some declensions took place. Considerable improvements were made in the place of worship, by its being repewed and a new vestry erected, at a cost of about £250. A dwelling-house was also purchased and fitted up for the minister, and made over to the interest, by the liberality of Mr. John Ward, of Knutson.
On the third Sabbath in August, 1846, Mr. John Anderson became the pastor; but he resigned his office in July, 1847.
In the year 1848, Mr. E. W. Finch, from Mr. Frost's seminary at Cotton End, near Bedford, becamethe minister of the place; but on March 27th, 1851, Mr. Finch resigned, and removed to Portshead, Somerset. Fourteen members were added to the Church by Mr. Finch.
In October, 1851, Mr. D. Herschell came to Wollaston, and is at present ministering there. There are now about forty-one members in the Church. There are about fifty children in the Sabbath-school. Occasional services are conducted in villages in the vicinity.
Amidst various and frequent changes of late, this interest still remains, attended with difficult circumstances. May it be greatly revived, its numbers increased, and its efficiency promoted!
The Independent Church at Peterborough appears to have originated in the labours of a Mr. Glascott, a minister belonging to Lady Huntingdon's connexion, who came to this place about the year 1776 or 1777, to preach the Gospel of Christ. He first took his stand under the Cross in the Market-place. He was often interrupted in his services, and experienced much opposition; but on some occasions there was seen the Lady of —— Orme, Esq. standing beside him, which proved some protection to him from the assaults of the rude assemblage around.
There was also the late Mrs. Baker, who was one of the first fruits of his ministry, who became an eminent Christian, useful in the cause of God, regarded as a mother in Israel, surviving to a good old age.
After some time they obtained a small building for public worship, on the premises of Mr. Ashby, of Westgate Street. At length an opportunity was presented for building a more commodious place. Roger Parker, Esq. was willing to let them have the piece of ground where the Chapel now stands, for the small sum of five guineas; but the circumstances connected with this agreement show that to the poor emphatically the Gospel was preached, for they were unableto raise the sum above specified, and were obliged, when they met Mr. Parker at the office of the attorney where the agreement was to be fulfilled, to inform him privately that they could not raise the amount required; and he put his hand into his pocket and nobly gave them the five guineas, that they might fulfil the contract before the attorney. The Chapel was erected in 1779 or 1780.
Mr. Thresher was the first minister that was settled over them. But such was the intolerant spirit then prevailing in the place, that much persecution was endured by the minister and his people. They were frequently assailed on leaving the Chapel, pelted and sometimes almost covered with mud and dirt. After Mr. Thresher's ministry closed amongst them, Mr. Woodward became the pastor. He preached every third Sabbath at Pinchbeck, near Spalding, to which place he subsequently removed.
The people had to struggle with great difficulties, and the congregation became very low; so that at length the Chapel was closed, and remained shut up for about seven years. At the end of this period a lay preacher from Northampton visited Peterborough; and seeing the desolate state of things, he endeavoured to collect the scattered few, and to preach the word unto them. Application after this was made to Thos. Wilson, Esq., who sent supplies from Hoxton Academy. The Chapel was re-opened and stated services restored about the year 1804.
The labours of Mr. Harris, one of the students from Hoxton, proved very acceptable; he received an invitation to become the pastor, and was ordained over them. In his days the congregation flourished; he became very popular, and great numbers heard theword from his lips. Such was the interest that his preaching excited, that the late Bishop Madan, who manifested a liberal spirit towards Dissenters, has been known to stand at the entrance of the Chapel, with his hat in his hand, to hear Mr. Harris. But he removed to Swansea about the year 1810.
After this, supplies were again obtained from Hoxton. Mr. Jeanes was invited to become the pastor; his preaching was acceptable and useful; but a few years after he removed to Market Deeping. Mr. Cave was another of the students who accepted an invitation to minister here; but after a few years he removed to Yaxley. The next minister was a Mr. Phillips, who had been in Lady Huntingdon's connexion, and had ministered in Zion Chapel, London. He was pastor for a few years, and some success attended his labours; but the people again wishing for a change, Mr. Phillips retired in the year 1818, but continued to reside in Peterborough, and preached occasionally. He was at length seized with paralysis: tried by long and heavy affliction, under which he was very graciously sustained. He died in the year 1831.
Mr. J. E. Isaac was the next minister who received an invitation to the pastoral office. The congregation was in a very low state when he entered on his labours, but it increased under his ministry; and after he had laboured for three years, the Church was re-organized, and Mr. Isaac was ordained May 22nd, 1821. On that occasion, Mr. Jervis, of Ramsay, commenced the service; Mr. Holmes, of Wisbeach, delivered the introductory discourse; Mr. Morrell, of St. Neots, offered the ordination prayer, and gave the charge; Mr. Wright, of Stamford, preached to the people. In the course of his ministry, Mr. Isaac had some serioustrials to contend with; but he persevered in his labours, and they were rendered in some measure successful; so that in the year 1832, the Chapel having become too small for the congregation, it was thought desirable to attempt an enlargement. This was effected, and the place was re-opened for divine worship in July of that year: on that occasion, Dr. Pye Smith preached in the morning and evening, and Mr. Haynes, of Boston, on the following Sabbath. About this time a Sabbath-school was commenced in connexion with the Chapel.
There are the names of about thirty persons recorded "who," it is observed, "regarded Mr. Isaac as their spiritual father." But under date of 1834 we find the statement, that the Church saw the necessity of a change, on account of the great decrease in the number of hearers; so that Mr. Isaac resigned in September of that year. Some time after this, Mr. Penman became the minister, and was ordained February 3rd, 1836. About this period, application was made to Earl Fitzwilliam for the grant of a piece of ground on the south side of the Chapel, on which to build a school-room for the use of the Sabbath-school. This was obtained, at a rental of five shillings per annum, on a lease of ninety-nine years. The cost of building, with some alterations in the Chapel, was about £205.
During the last five years, Mr. William Palmer has been the pastor of this Church. His labours have been rendered very successful, in increasing the congregation and making many additions to the Church. Side galleries have been added to the Chapel, at a cost of £100. There have been 120 members in Peterborough and Yaxley added to the Church. The Sabbath-school has increased from 60 to 200 children.But in the month of October, this year (1852), Mr. Palmer was obliged to resign his charge and retire from his labours for a season, on account of long and severe affliction.
Thus another change has come over this people; but if the spirit of the Gospel prevails amongst them, they will receive direction from above, and God will carry forward his designs of mercy by the ministry of his truth and the other appointed means of his grace.
In the early part of the 17th century, Mr. Samuel Stone, one of the Puritan divines, ministered in the Church at Towcester. He was born at Hertford, and educated in Emanuel College, Cambridge. Having finished his studies, he resided for some time in the house of the excellent Mr. Richard Blackerby, where he received useful instructions, and imbibed the spirit and principles of his venerable tutor. Afterwards he became minister at Towcester, in Northamptonshire, where his superior accomplishments and great industry were manifest to all. This, however, could not screen him from the oppression of the times, as he was an avowed but modest Nonconformist to the ecclesiastical impositions. At length, seeing no prospect of enjoying his liberty in his native country, he resolved to withdraw from the scenes of persecution and retire to New England, where he arrived in the year 1633, and there he died, July 20th, 1663. It is observed, that "Mr. Stone was a pious, learned, and judicious divine, equally qualified for the confirmation of the truth and the refutation of error. His ministry was attended with the powerful demonstration and application of the truth: his views of Church discipline were Congregational."
The first regular services by Dissenting ministers that are known to have been held at Towcester were conducted chiefly by Mr. Heywood, while he was pastor of the Church at Potterspury. He preached for some time, every third Sabbath morning, in a licensed house; and in the same place, a Mr. Stranger, a Baptist minister, residing at Weston, preached occasionally. In the year 1764, the pious people of both denominations united to build a Meeting House for their mutual accommodation. When Mr. Goode became the pastor at Pury, he continued the services in the manner of his predecessors, and his labours were crowned with a happy degree of success. But a change occurred, which interrupted the union which had hitherto subsisted between those who held different views on the subject of baptism. In 1782 a Mr. Reddy, a Baptist minister, came to reside at Towcester, and then the stated use of the new Meeting House was refused to Mr. Goode and his hearers, who, in consequence of this, met for three years after in a private house. The attendance increasing, it was deemed necessary to build another place of worship, in which they were generously assisted from various quarters. On the removal of Mr. Goode from Pury, they obtained supplies from Newport and Hoxton Academies.
April 6th, 1794, the members of the Church at Potterspury that resided in Towcester separated from that Church for the purpose of commencing an Independent Church here, Mr. Thomas Slattery, from Hoxton Academy, preaching to them for the first time on that day. On May 5th, 1794, eleven persons were formed into a Christian Church, Mr. Hillyard, of Olney, presiding. For some time they were supplied by various ministers, Messrs. Bull, Greathead, andHillyard occasionally administering the Lord's Supper. At length Mr. Gunn, a student from Hoxton Academy, was invited to become the pastor, and he was ordained October 16th, 1796. Upon this occasion Mr. Denny, of Long Buckby, offered the ordination prayer; the solemn engagements mutually confirmed between the people and the minister they had chosen were introduced by some observations on the proper tendency and principles of such a transaction, from Mr. Greathead, of Woburn; Mr. Bull, of Newport, gave the charge, from Col. iv. 17; Mr. Horsey, of Northampton, addressed the Church, from 2nd Cor. iv. 15.
In little more than three years after this settlement Mr. Gunn removed to Aylesbury, and was succeeded at Towcester by Mr. Joshua Denham, who commenced his ministry here February 9th, 1800. Mr. Denham continued his services as pastor until the year 1814, when he resigned, and was succeeded by Mr. Joseph Gravestock, from Newport Academy, who was ordained on the 17th of August in that year, when Mr. Jackson, of Old, began with prayer; Mr. Thomas Morrell delivered the introductory discourse; Mr. Watson offered the ordination prayer; Mr. Bull gave the charge, from Ezek. iii. 17; Mr. Aston preached to the people, from 1st Thess. v. 13. Mr. Jackson preached in the evening.
On the death of Mr. Jackson Mr. Gravestock removed to Old; when, after a period of four years, Mr. Hitchin became the pastor, in July, 1818. In the year 1823 Mr. Hitchin removed to Hockliffe, and Mr. William Hawkins, from Newport Academy, was chosen to the pastoral office. Mr. Hawkins laboured here between twenty and thirty years; during his ministry a new Chapel was erected. Mr. Buckingham, minister at Potterspury, went out from this Church.
Mr. S. Causby, the present minister, entered on his labours in July, 1851. The records of the Church contain 146 names of members admitted to the Church from its formation to the present time; but for seventeen years,i.e.from 1815-1832, the book appears to have been neglected, and no names were entered. The number of members at this time is 50. There are 110 children in the Sabbath-schools, and 24 teachers who take part in their instruction.
In the village of Old there is a neat brick building as an Independent Chapel, with a small burying-ground enclosed in connexion with it; and nearly adjoining it is a dwelling-house for the minister. Though this Chapel was not erected until the year 1809, yet we have to look backward for a little more than a hundred years to observe the first efforts that were made to obtain some stated services by Nonconformist ministers in this place. It appears highly probable that the Gospel was occasionally preached at Old and Scaldwell (the latter village being about a mile from the former) in the early part of the last century. We have found, in the records of the Independent Church at Rowell, that there were a number of persons who were members of that Church residing in Scaldwell and its vicinity soon after the commencement of the last century, who expressed a desire to be formed into a separate Church in that place, on account of the distance they were from Rowell; but their numbers were thought not to be sufficient then to justify such a step.
In the year 1750, Mr. Thomas Palmer, of Old, great grandfather to the late Mr. Palmer, by deed of bargain and sale invested certain premises at Old inthe hands of four trustees, that out of the rents and profits thereof they should pay £5 per annum, by four quarterly payments, to some Dissenting minister, teacher, or preacher, to do divine service and preach a sermon once a month at Old for ever.
Neighbouring ministers performed this monthly service for some time. The attendance on this lecture was so good as to lead the friends to obtain more frequent services, which were conducted in a barn on the property. Some of the hearers were in the habit of attending the Baptist Meeting at Walgrave, a short distance from Old; but the practice of strict communion cut them off from participating in divine ordinances there, so that it was at length determined to form a Church at Old, and to look out for a stated pastor.
Mr. Shadrach Jackson, from the Newport Pagnell institution, visited Old in the year 1808, and preached in the barn with acceptance and success. The increasing attendance rendered it desirable and indeed necessary to have a more suitable and commodious place for divine worship, and the present Chapel was erected on the premises, at a cost of £850.
At the ordination of Mr. Jackson, his tutor, the late Mr. William Bull, the friend and correspondent of Newton and Cowper, delivered an affectionate and impressive charge, taking for his motto the remarkable words of Joseph, addressed to his brother Benjamin (Gen. xliii. 29): "God be gracious unto thee, my son." The late Mr. Hillyard, of Bedford, in his own peculiar, affectionate, and persuasive manner, gave a most excellent address to the people, from the words of Ruth (i. 16, 17): "Entreat me not to leave thee," &c.
Mr. Jackson was a native of Doncaster. He early became acquainted with Mr. Samuel Hobson, of Sheffield,afterwards pastor of the Church at Maldon, Beds. The late Mr. Thorpe, of Bristol, married the sister of Mr. Hobson, and to him both these young men were considerably indebted for their ministerial prospects. Both of them became students at Newport; they were both men of ability—Hobson having perhaps most philosophy, and Jackson most genius and pulpit unction. The latter was a striking and impressive preacher, decidedly popular, not failing to secure the attention of his audience. He had an excellent gift in prayer, and was often called upon to pray at the meetings of his brethren in the County Association. But it was not a long course of service that was allotted to him. His health was not good; he was subject to an affection of the throat; but it is thought that the affliction which ended in death was brought on by his preaching one night in wet clothes at the neighbouring village of Holcott. He never ceased to feel the effects of that night, and gradually sunk, though occasionally giving some hopes of recovery. After a long and painful affliction, he died, September 3rd, 1817. His remains were interred near the pulpit, and a tablet was erected to his memory by subscription.
Mr. Hillyard, minister at Bedworth, who was a member of the Church at Old, and has supplied some of these particulars, states—"I saw him just as he was dying, being then about nine years of age; he mentioned my name. Almost the last thing he said referring to himself was, 'A sinner saved by grace.' I well remember the deep impression his death made on my mind; and all the circumstances of the funeral; and the funeral sermon being preached by the late Mr. Toller, from Acts xx. 24: 'And none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear untomyself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the Gospel of the grace of God.'" The writer of these 'Memorials' attended that service, and has a vivid recollection of the crowded assembly, the impressive sermon, the solemn tones and the tears of the preacher, with the testimony he bore to the increasing spirituality of Mr. Jackson's mind during the closing period of his life.
In the first part of Mr. Jackson's ministry the prospects of the society were very encouraging; but it soon became manifest that, although the Church is not of this world, yet, being in the world, it is more or less affected by those visitations that transpire therein, for three very efficient friends and supporters of the cause were soon removed by death. These events, with the early removal of Mr. Jackson, and some dissensions that afterwards arose, greatly weakened the cause, and cast some gloom over its prospects.
The Church was now supplied by neighbouring ministers and students until April, 1818, when Mr. Joseph Gravestock, of Towcester, who had been a short time fellow student with Mr. Jackson, came to Old as a supply. As his connexion with the Church at Towcester was dissolved, his services being acceptable here, after a period of probation he received an invitation to the pastoral office. On the 3rd of September, in this year, he removed with his family to Old; and on the evening of his arrival, preached from Heb. xiii. 8 ("Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, to-day, and for ever"), having special reference to the death of his predecessor, who had been in the world of spirits just one year, and dwelling on the immutability and all-sufficiency of the ever living Redeemer.
"Amidst varied scenes, producing diversified fears and hopes, Mr. Gravestock (who is still living) pursued his ministerial course till September, 1843, when failure of health and other circumstances induced him to resign his office and terminate his labours in a farewell address, from Rev. ii. 10: 'Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.'" The stated ministry of Mr. Gravestock at Towcester and at Old extended to nearly thirty years, for he was ordained at the former place August 17th, 1814, when Mr. Jackson commenced the service with prayer; Mr. Bull, his tutor, delivering the charge; Mr. Aston, of Buckingham, preaching to the people; and Mr. Jackson preaching in the evening.
After this resignation, supplies were obtained until 1845, when Mr. Ingram Moody was invited to the pastoral office, in which he continued until 1849, when he resigned and emigrated to Australia.
After the removal of Mr. Moody, Mr. John Spence, of Kettering, a member of the Independent Church under the pastoral care of Mr. Toller, who had for some time previously engaged in occasional services in the vicinity, was invited to supply the pulpit at Old. His ministry proving acceptable to the people, at the expiration of four months he received an invitation to become the pastor, and entered on his stated labours in January, 1850, and has now become the resident minister of the place.
In the spring of 1852, alterations and improvements were made on the premises, the burying ground enclosed, at the expense of about £60. On Lord's-day, June 13th, three sermons were preached (morning and evening, by Mr. Toller, of Kettering; afternoon,by Mr. Samuel Marsh, of Moulton), when collections were made towards the expenses incurred. Numerous congregations assembled in the afternoon and evening. On the following day a public tea-meeting was held, when 200 persons took tea; after which there was a public meeting, when Mr. J. Stockburn, of Kettering, presided. Mr. Spence read a brief history of the cause, when effective addresses were delivered by several ministers and gentlemen that were present. The collections and donations produced £36. 17s.11½d., leaving a debt of £23. 2s.0½d., which it is hoped will be entirely extinguished at the next anniversary, and by means of exertions that may be made previous to that time. The prospects of the Church appear to be more pleasing than they have been for some years past; and we trust that the present pastor and his flock will go forward with united efforts and realize an abundant blessing, peace and prosperity being richly enjoyed among them, that the great Head of the Church in all may be glorified.
In connexion with this cause at Old there is a small place of worship at Scaldwell, where one service on the Sabbath is generally conducted. The number of communicants at present is twenty-six. There are twenty-five children in the Sabbath-school—number in minister's Bible class, thirty; and occasional services are conducted in villages in the vicinity.
From this village society three Independent ministers have been raised up, viz.: Mr. T. Hillyard, of Bedworth; Mr. Gammage, of Ketton; and Mr. Gammage's son, Mr. Henry Gammage, of Dunmow, Essex.
The village of Everdon, four miles from Daventry, contains nearly 800 inhabitants. There were no regular efforts made here for the preaching of the Gospel by Dissenters until the year 1811. Mr. Barge, a member of the Independent Church at Weedon, under the influence of compassion for the state of the inhabitants, fitted up a small place of worship at his own expense, measuring twenty-two feet by ten feet, which was opened May 30th, 1811, and regularly supplied twice on the Sabbath by Mr. Meacock, a member of the Independent Church, West Orchard, Coventry; and occasionally in the week by Mr. Gronow, of Weedon. The services were well attended, and the place was soon found to be too small for the number of hearers; which induced Mr. Barge to give a piece of ground for the erection of a new Chapel, which was opened October 26th, 1813, on which occasion Mr. Jerrard, of Coventry, preached from Rev. i. 12, 13, and Mr. Whitehead, of Creaton, from Matt. xviii. 20, and Mr. W. P. Davis, of Wellingborough, from Num. x. 29. This building was invested in the hands of trustees of the Independent denomination. Several persons from the neighbouring villages began to attend the services, and there was a pleasing prospect of success.The following spring a Church was formed by Mr. Gronow, and Mr. Meacock was invited to become their pastor, and was ordained on the 23rd of August, when Messrs. Morgan, of Kilsby, Watson, of Daventry, Gronow, of Weedon, Whitehead, of Greaton, Bicknell, of Brownsover, Knight, of Yelvertoft, and Griffiths, of Long Buckby, were engaged in the services of the day. An endowment of £500 was bequeathed to the Chapel by William Falwell, Esq., the interest of which is to be applied toward the support of the minister for the time being.
Much opposition has been experienced here, but some have been brought to the knowledge of the truth. The villages of Bradley, Newnham, and Farthingstone have shared, at different periods, in the pastor's labours; but in his later years Mr. Meacock chiefly confined his services to Everdon. At length, through the increasing infirmities of age, after labouring for a period of thirty-two years amongst his little flock in peace and harmony, he resigned the pastoral office the first Sabbath in April, 1845, and was succeeded by Mr. S. G. Stirmey, the present pastor.
Mr. Stirmey observes, that at the present time the Church is reduced to a low state, and that the Sabbath-school numbers but about thirty children; for great efforts are made, and very considerable influence is employed, on the side of the Established Church, so that the difficulties with which this cause has to struggle are very considerable.
Brackley is a small market town and ancient borough, near the south-west extremity of the county: it has, in former times, been a place of considerable importance. In the early days of Methodism, John Wesley might have been seen sometimes, preaching to a rustic throng from the steps of the Market-house. But the Independent Church in this place is of very recent date, and its history will therefore be comprised within a very small compass.
A short time previous to the year 1835, "the North Bucks Association" made an ineffectual attempt to obtain a place of worship in this town. At length a room was secured for the purposes of divine worship and preaching the Gospel. This proving inadequate to accommodate the attendants, in 1836 a Chapel was erected, at a cost of £650, capable of seating about 300 persons. The services of Mr. John Ashby, formerly a student at Newport, now minister at Stony Stratford, were engaged by the newly formed congregation, and he laboured here for somewhat more than a year. After his removal, the pulpit was principally supplied by students from Newport Academy. In January, 1838, Mr. G. Smith, late of Halesworth, accepted an invitation to labour here. In the same yeara Church was formed, consisting of twenty persons—the ordinance of the Lord's Supper was first administered June 24th of that year; but in the beginning of 1839 Mr. Smith was compelled by indisposition to resign his connexion with the Church.
Again supplies were obtained from the Newport seminary, until 1842, when Mr. W. R. Lewis commenced a probationary course of labour, and afterwards settled as the pastor. Under his superintendence the Church was re-organized; but after the lapse of three or four years circumstances arose which rendered his removal to a more extended sphere of labour a subject for consideration, which resulted in his resignation about Christmas, 1846. In 1847, Mr. Robert Davis, who had been pastor at Turvey, Bedfordshire, accepted an invitation to minister in this place, and continued his services until December, 1851. The Church, again being destitute of a pastor, was supplied for a time by ministers from the vicinity; until, in August of this year (1852), Mr. T. Roberts, late student at Newport Pagnell, accepted an invitation to become the pastor under somewhat pleasing circumstances; and it is hoped that his ministry will be rendered truly useful, that the Church may be increased, and the name of the Redeemer glorified. The present number of communicants is thirty-three; children in the Sabbath-school, rather more than fifty.
The village of Byfield, containing more than 1000 inhabitants, has in it a small Independent Church, of recent origin; but it has struggled with many difficulties, and a number of changes have taken place during its short history, of which we can only present some very concise statements.
About thirty years ago, some persons residing here, who were members of a Dissenting Church in the vicinity, determined to invite some of the neighbouring ministers to preach the Gospel of Christ in this place. For three months the services were conducted in a room, which was rented and fitted up for the purpose. The Home Missionary Society then agreed to give £30 as a grant for one year, and recommended Mr. Grey as the minister, formerly of Oakham, Rutlandshire. During the first year of his ministry, which was 1827, a neat little Chapel was erected. Mr. Grey remained three years, during which time his ministry was rendered useful. A short time after Mr. Grey had left, the place was supplied by Mr. Kidgell, from Newport Academy, who became the pastor of the Church in 1831. His ministry was continued here for four years. Mr. Phillips next supplied the place for three months, under whose ministry things greatly revived; butthrough some misunderstanding, he quitted the pleasing scene of usefulness that appeared to be opening before him, the Church much regretting his removal. After this Mr. Moses became the pastor, and continued with them three years. Then a Mr. Sanderson was invited for twelve months, in consequence of an advertisement; "but since then," it is remarked, "the Church has had no faith in advertising ministers." Mr. Kidgell then returned to his former scene of labour, and remained for eighteen months, but under considerable discouragement. After his final removal, the congregation was supplied by neighbouring ministers and occasional preachers for more than twelve months. At length they invited a Mr. Berrill, who remained with them seven years. He laboured under many difficulties, weathered many storms, and at length retired from the situation. For ten months they remained destitute, having supplies as they could be obtained. In March, 1849, their present minister, Mr. Robson, came to supply them, and was invited to remain. He found the place in a very low state, but things have taken a favourable turn. The Chapel is now well attended, and seventeen members have been added to the Church. The present number of communicants is thirty-three. In the Sabbath-school there are thirty children, instructed by six teachers.
In this village, known as the birth-place of the celebrated Dr. Carey, of the Baptist Mission at Serampore, the Independent Church is of recent formation. In the year 1826 a Chapel was erected, and the whole of the expenses were cleared off by the exertions of Mr. Hawkins, Independent minister, of Towcester. About the autumn of 1841, Mr. Buckingham, the present minister of this place, was invited to preach in the Chapel on the week evenings. His services proving acceptable, attention being excited, and indications of usefulness appearing, the congregation expressed a desire to enjoy the benefit of his stated labours. In connexion with this proposal, arrangements were made between the congregation at Paulerspury and the Church at Towcester, for the Chapel, then the property of that Church, to be put in trust for the use of this congregation. In the summer of 1842 Mr. Buckingham began to labour statedly among the people, and was much encouraged by the increasing attention, and the disposition manifested by the people to hear the word. A Sabbath-school was formed, when between forty and fifty children attended: it had a gradual increase, until, in the following year, the number of scholars rose to 200. Since then the numbers havevaried, owing to different causes which will arise in this changing world. The congregation increased so, that it was found necessary to erect two side galleries, in addition to the front gallery that had been already formed. The week-day services were also well attended. A small number of persons, most of whom had been brought to an acquaintance with divine things under Mr. Buckingham's ministry, were desirous of enjoying the benefits of Church fellowship, and were encouraged to give themselves to the Lord and to each other in these bonds of the Gospel; and were accordingly formed into a Church, consisting of sixteen members, on the 28th of February, 1844. The services on the interesting occasion were conducted by Messrs Hawkins, of Towcester; Slye, of Potterspury; J. Bull, of Newport Pagnell; and Wager, of Stony Stratford: then the ordinance of the Lord's Supper was first administered to them, in which persons of different religious denominations united, who appeared to feel a deep and lively interest in the solemnity.
In the beginning of the year 1845 some of the members of the Church experienced much persecution, which caused a few to halt, and others to keep back. It rose to such a height, at one time, as to threaten the extinction of the rising energies of the Church; but through the kind interposition of a gracious Providence, a reaction took place, and the wrath of man was made to praise God.
In the early part of the year 1847, the subject of Mr. Buckingham's ordination was mentioned; neighbouring ministers having hitherto administered the Lord's Supper. After much deliberation and prayer, the subject was laid before the ministers of the North Bucks Association, and after mature consideration the approval of their committee was expressed. Itwas arranged that the ordination service should take place on the 24th of November, 1847. On that day, Mr. Hawkins commenced the services; Mr. J. Bull expounded the principles of Congregationalism in an introductory discourse; Mr. Slye proposed the questions; Mr. Davis offered the ordination prayer; Mr. T. P. Bull gave the charge; Mr. Aston preached to the people.
The year immediately succeeding this, Mr. Buckingham's health began very seriously to fail, and he was obliged to desist from preaching for several months, during which time supplies were obtained. His health is still very delicate, and but for frequent assistance he would be obliged to resign the pastoral oversight of his much attached people.
In consequence of the large number of school children, it was deemed advisable to erect new school-rooms for their better accommodation. In the year 1850 the school-rooms were erected, at a cost of £150. Through the kindness of friends, and especially the friends at Pury, the whole is now cleared off. A burial ground is attached to the Chapel, and more than fifty interments have taken place since it was appropriated for this purpose in 1843.
In regard to the future, the pastor observes "that the prospects are very cheering." On the Sabbath and week-evening services the attendance continues steady and regular, and never better than at the present time. The Church has continued to increase. The present number of communicants is seventy-two; Sabbath-school children, one hundred and fifty-nine—teachers, forty.
We trust the blessing of the Lord will still rest upon them, and that, "walking together in the fear of the Lord, and the comfort of the Holy Ghost, they will be edified and multiplied."