Chapter 19

Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Company, Limited, have their works at Jarrow-on-Tyne, about four miles from the sea. The works embrace both banks of the river Tyne, cover nearly 100 acres of land, and employ about 7,000 persons. They were first commenced in 1851 by Mr Charles Mark Palmer, the present M.P. for North Durham, distinguished for the active part he has taken and continues to take in merchant shipping legislation. In 1865 the works were made into a limited company, Mr Palmer becoming chairman. It is a saying in Jarrow, with reference to these gigantic works, that the raw ironstone is taken in at the one end and launched from the other in the form of iron steamships, fitted complete with all their machinery, to carry on a large share of the world’s commerce. However much this may appear the exaggerated utterance of native pride, it must be declared to be a literal truth. The works include within themselves the entire range of operations, from the raising and smelting of the ironstone to the complete equipment of iron, steam and sailing vessels of all sizes. The ore itself, raised at therate of 1,000 tons per day, is brought round by sea from the Company’s own mines at Port Mulgrave, near Whitby, in Yorkshire, and is lifted from the river wharf at the works up to the railway level, along an inclined plane worked by a stationary engine. Coke and coal come into the works from Marley Hill and other collieries in Durham and Northumberland, by the Pontop and Jarrow Railway. The coke is discharged into a hopper capable of holding about 1,500 tons, from the bottom of which the blast furnace barrows are filled through sliding doors, dispensing with manual labour. The four blast furnaces are 85 feet high, 24 feet diameter at the boshes, and 10 feet in the hearth. They are capable of producing over 2,000 tons of pig per week, of which more than one-half is used in the Company’s works. The blast is heated to about 1,500° Fahr. in eight “Whitewell” hot air fire-brick stoves of the newest pattern, and there are eighteen kilns for calcining the Cleveland ironstone. The rolling mill forge comprises eighty puddling furnaces, producing over 1,000 tons of puddled bars weekly; which, again, are rolled into plates and angle bars of the largest and smallest sizes used in the trade. There are two forge engines with 36-inch cylinders, one of 4 feet and the other of 5 feet stroke, each driving a roll train and four pairs of 22-inch rolls. There are two plate mills and ten mill furnaces, producing about 1,200 tons of finished boiler and ship plates weekly. Each mill has two pairs of 24-in. rolls, reversed by clutch and crabs; a bar mill with two pairs of rolls, driven by a 24-inch cylinder, produces 120 tons per week; a fourth mill, with four pairs of rolls, driven by two 30-inch cylinders, with 4 feet stroke, produces about 300 tons per week of plates; also a large angle and bar mill, driven by a single engine, having 36-inch cylinder and 4 feet stroke, capable of rolling the very largest angles used in the trade. There is also a sheet mill in the forge. Attached to the rolling mills are shears, circular saws, punching, and straightening presses, all of the newest patterns.The adjoining department is that of the engine works, which is on the same gigantic scale, and is capable of finishing about forty pairs of marine engines with their boilers, annually, besides a proportionate share of replace boilers and repairs. The department produces its own iron and brass castings and forgings. In the boiler shop of this department vertical rolls for rolling long boiler shell plates were first used, and may be seen in operation. In theyear 1882-83, June to June, thirty-six pairs of engines, of 7,300 nominal and 39,240 indicated horse-power, were turned out.The next department, occupying the east end of the Company’s works, is that of shipbuilding. The shops of this department are fitted up with all the newest machines for quick and efficient production of work. It contains the largest graving dock on the coast, also a very fine patent slip, fitted with hydraulic hauling gear. The building slips are suitable for every kind of vessel up to 500 feet in length, and are capable, with those in the Howdon branch of the works on the opposite side of the river, of launching 70,000 tons of shipping annually. There are nine building slips at Jarrow, and six at Howdon. In the year 1882-83, June to June, 35 vessels of the aggregate tonnage of 68,000 tons were built and delivered to their owners. For transporting material throughout the works, three steam travelling cranes and eleven locomotive engines are employed. For discharging ore, two fixed and two travelling steam cranes, also two hydraulic cranes, are in use. At the engine works are sheer-legs 100 feet high, capable of lifting 100 tons—used for lifting engines and boilers, and for masting the vessels.The output of tonnage by Palmers’ Company for 1882 and that for 1883 were severally about double the amount turned out by any other one firm in existence for these years. The following statement of the yearly amount of tonnage turned out by the firm since the commencement of iron shipbuilding on the Tyne in 1852, will be interesting, as showing the gradual strides by which the firm have risen from 920 tons thirty years ago to the wonderful return of 61,113 tons in 1883:—Year.Ton.Year.Ton.Year.Ton.Year.Ton.1852,9201860,4,6531868,15,8421876,8,6351853,3,5391861,4,7511869,11,9001877,16,2351854,7,4691862,21,4931870,26,1291878,23,4701855,5,1691863,17,0961871,19,2671879,36,0801856,7,5311864,22,8961872,12,8101880,38,1171857,6,8161865,31,1111873,21,0171881,50,1921858,7,6251866,18,9731874,25,0571882,60,3791859,11,8041867,16,5551875,15,8191883,61,113The first screw-steamer built by the firm, namely, the “John Bowes,” well known as the pioneer of water ballast steam colliers,is still in existence, has recently had her engines renewed for the third time, and is now busily employed in her customary service, carrying coals from Newcastle to London.The general manager of the gigantic works is Mr John Price, formerly one of the surveyors and a leading spirit in the Underwriter’s Registry for Iron Vessels. The following are the other responsible officials:—Assistant general manager and manager of rolling mills, Mr F. W. Stoker; secretary, Mr Hew Steele; shipyard manager, Mr A. Adamson; engine works manager, Mr J. P. Hall; blast furnaces manager, Mr P. A. Berkeley; blast furnaces assistant manager, Mr H. T. Allison; mining engineer, Mr A. S. Palmer.

Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Company, Limited, have their works at Jarrow-on-Tyne, about four miles from the sea. The works embrace both banks of the river Tyne, cover nearly 100 acres of land, and employ about 7,000 persons. They were first commenced in 1851 by Mr Charles Mark Palmer, the present M.P. for North Durham, distinguished for the active part he has taken and continues to take in merchant shipping legislation. In 1865 the works were made into a limited company, Mr Palmer becoming chairman. It is a saying in Jarrow, with reference to these gigantic works, that the raw ironstone is taken in at the one end and launched from the other in the form of iron steamships, fitted complete with all their machinery, to carry on a large share of the world’s commerce. However much this may appear the exaggerated utterance of native pride, it must be declared to be a literal truth. The works include within themselves the entire range of operations, from the raising and smelting of the ironstone to the complete equipment of iron, steam and sailing vessels of all sizes. The ore itself, raised at therate of 1,000 tons per day, is brought round by sea from the Company’s own mines at Port Mulgrave, near Whitby, in Yorkshire, and is lifted from the river wharf at the works up to the railway level, along an inclined plane worked by a stationary engine. Coke and coal come into the works from Marley Hill and other collieries in Durham and Northumberland, by the Pontop and Jarrow Railway. The coke is discharged into a hopper capable of holding about 1,500 tons, from the bottom of which the blast furnace barrows are filled through sliding doors, dispensing with manual labour. The four blast furnaces are 85 feet high, 24 feet diameter at the boshes, and 10 feet in the hearth. They are capable of producing over 2,000 tons of pig per week, of which more than one-half is used in the Company’s works. The blast is heated to about 1,500° Fahr. in eight “Whitewell” hot air fire-brick stoves of the newest pattern, and there are eighteen kilns for calcining the Cleveland ironstone. The rolling mill forge comprises eighty puddling furnaces, producing over 1,000 tons of puddled bars weekly; which, again, are rolled into plates and angle bars of the largest and smallest sizes used in the trade. There are two forge engines with 36-inch cylinders, one of 4 feet and the other of 5 feet stroke, each driving a roll train and four pairs of 22-inch rolls. There are two plate mills and ten mill furnaces, producing about 1,200 tons of finished boiler and ship plates weekly. Each mill has two pairs of 24-in. rolls, reversed by clutch and crabs; a bar mill with two pairs of rolls, driven by a 24-inch cylinder, produces 120 tons per week; a fourth mill, with four pairs of rolls, driven by two 30-inch cylinders, with 4 feet stroke, produces about 300 tons per week of plates; also a large angle and bar mill, driven by a single engine, having 36-inch cylinder and 4 feet stroke, capable of rolling the very largest angles used in the trade. There is also a sheet mill in the forge. Attached to the rolling mills are shears, circular saws, punching, and straightening presses, all of the newest patterns.

The adjoining department is that of the engine works, which is on the same gigantic scale, and is capable of finishing about forty pairs of marine engines with their boilers, annually, besides a proportionate share of replace boilers and repairs. The department produces its own iron and brass castings and forgings. In the boiler shop of this department vertical rolls for rolling long boiler shell plates were first used, and may be seen in operation. In theyear 1882-83, June to June, thirty-six pairs of engines, of 7,300 nominal and 39,240 indicated horse-power, were turned out.

The next department, occupying the east end of the Company’s works, is that of shipbuilding. The shops of this department are fitted up with all the newest machines for quick and efficient production of work. It contains the largest graving dock on the coast, also a very fine patent slip, fitted with hydraulic hauling gear. The building slips are suitable for every kind of vessel up to 500 feet in length, and are capable, with those in the Howdon branch of the works on the opposite side of the river, of launching 70,000 tons of shipping annually. There are nine building slips at Jarrow, and six at Howdon. In the year 1882-83, June to June, 35 vessels of the aggregate tonnage of 68,000 tons were built and delivered to their owners. For transporting material throughout the works, three steam travelling cranes and eleven locomotive engines are employed. For discharging ore, two fixed and two travelling steam cranes, also two hydraulic cranes, are in use. At the engine works are sheer-legs 100 feet high, capable of lifting 100 tons—used for lifting engines and boilers, and for masting the vessels.

The output of tonnage by Palmers’ Company for 1882 and that for 1883 were severally about double the amount turned out by any other one firm in existence for these years. The following statement of the yearly amount of tonnage turned out by the firm since the commencement of iron shipbuilding on the Tyne in 1852, will be interesting, as showing the gradual strides by which the firm have risen from 920 tons thirty years ago to the wonderful return of 61,113 tons in 1883:—

The first screw-steamer built by the firm, namely, the “John Bowes,” well known as the pioneer of water ballast steam colliers,is still in existence, has recently had her engines renewed for the third time, and is now busily employed in her customary service, carrying coals from Newcastle to London.

The general manager of the gigantic works is Mr John Price, formerly one of the surveyors and a leading spirit in the Underwriter’s Registry for Iron Vessels. The following are the other responsible officials:—Assistant general manager and manager of rolling mills, Mr F. W. Stoker; secretary, Mr Hew Steele; shipyard manager, Mr A. Adamson; engine works manager, Mr J. P. Hall; blast furnaces manager, Mr P. A. Berkeley; blast furnaces assistant manager, Mr H. T. Allison; mining engineer, Mr A. S. Palmer.

SIR WM. ARMSTRONG, MITCHELL & CO.’S SHIPBUILDING WORKS,LOW WALKER AND ELSWICK-ON-TYNE.

The Low Walker yard of this firm was commenced upwards of thirty years ago by Messrs C. Mitchell & Co., who up to 1883 (when they amalgamated with Sir W. G. Armstrong & Co., the notable firm of engineers and artillerists), had built as many as 450 vessels, or an average of 15 vessels per annum, the average tonnage produced during the last ten years being 23,000 tons. The yard is situated about four miles down the Tyne from Newcastle. It consists of about fifteen acres of ground, and has nine launching berths, but their arrangement is such that at times there have been as many as fourteen vessels on the stocks. The establishment is laid out in a most modern manner. The space occupied by the building slips has a uniform gradient, and, being perfectly flat laterally, gives the greatest facility in the movement of bogies. The yard is served by two complete systems of railways, respectively on the 4 feet 8-in. and 2 feet 3-in. gauge. The former is in connection with a siding from the North Eastern Railway, whereby materials and goods can be brought from all parts of the kingdom, and two locomotives are constantly employed working the trucks into the yard, one of them being of very special construction, on Brown’s patent principle, manufactured by Messrs R. & W. Hawthorn, Newcastle. This locomotive is combined with a steam crane, the jib of which acts as a lever with fulcrum, thus dispensing with chains, and which readily swings right round, depositing the plates on edge into racks arranged on either side of the railway, from which they can be taken with great facility by the workmen at the appropriate time.The yard is divided in two by a building 250 feet long by 50 feet wide, placed at right angles to the river, and which contains plate furnaces, bolt-maker’s shop, plumber’s shop, rivet store, tool stores, large bending rolls, straightening machine, and man-hole punch, on the ground floor; and on the upper storey rigging loft, sail loft, pattern stores, &c. Along the head of the building berths in one half of the yard there is a line of machine shops 400 feet long by 70 feet wide, in one end of which are installed frame furnaces, bending blocks, &c., as also a number of powerful punching machines, planing machines, special machines for angle cutting, and there has recently been added a powerful radial drill, having four moveable arms arranged to drill holes in any part of plate 16 feet by 4 feet without moving it. At the back of this machine shop, and parallel with it, is a smith’s shop 180 feet long by 50 feet wide, fitted up complete with steam hammers, &c. For the other half of the yard there is a large building 200 feet long, and of an average width of about 150 feet, which contains furnace, with bending blocks, &c., several heavy punching machines, planing machines, drilling and other machines; one portion about 80 feet by 60 feet being used as a fitting shop, containing powerful lathes, radial, and other drilling machines on the ground floor, and on the upper floor a lighter class of shaping, drilling, and other machines. In this building are also constructed two drying stoves, wherein the exhaust steam from the engine is used for drying timber. At the upper end of this machine shop is another blacksmiths’ shop 130 feet long by 50 feet wide, containing steam hammer and drilling machines for special work. A separate building, 80 feet long by 50 feet, is used for the bending and welding of beams, and is so placed that the beams can be lifted direct from barges alongside quay, and laid in position, ready for use.The smiths’, fitters’, and other similar shops are all conveniently situated; and as the vessels lie alongside the quay to be finished off after launching, the minimum of expense in this respect is incurred. There are numerous steam cranes of 10 tons and under on the quays for landing such portion of the material as comes by water, and also to lift articles on board the vessels fitting out.The sawmills, joiners’ shops, mould loft, &c., are situated at the lower end of the yard, and the appliances for handling and converting timber are most complete. The wood-cutting machinery is veryextensive, and embraces most of the newest labour-saving machines. The establishment in full work employs 2,500 men, and has turned out as much as 30,000 tons gross register of shipping in a year, including almost every type of vessel for mercantile and war purposes, which latter branch of work will now have a further development since the amalgamation with the eminent gun-making firm of Sir W. G. Armstrong & Co. For this purpose a new yard has been laid out at Elswick, adjoining the Ordnance Works, which will be of the most complete character.The site of this new yard comprises about 20 acres, and at first only half-a-dozen building berths will be laid out, but as the frontage is about 2,000 feet, the number of these can be augmented as required. The buildings already erected or in progress embrace a brick built shop, 265 feet long by 60 feet wide, standing at the western portion of the ground, and at right angles to the river. This building is in three storeys, the lower portion being intended for general stores, tool and rivet stores, fitting shop, &c.; the second floor will be entirely used as a joiners’ shop, and fitted up in the most complete manner with wood-working machinery of every description. The upper floor will be used as a draughting loft and model-room. Parallel to this building, and a little distance from it, will be a blacksmith’s shop, 150 feet by 50 feet. Adjoining the larger building above described, and at right angles to it, is the office block, 120 feet by 45 feet. Along the head of the launching berths stands a tool shed 420 feet long by 40 feet wide, containing the ordinary punching, planing, drilling, and other shipbuilding machines, all of the newest and most powerful type. Near the centre of the site is a large shed 220 feet long, consisting of four bays, each 50 feet wide, the whole carried on cast-iron columns, which will comprise the plate and angle furnaces, bending blocks, beam shop, angle smiths’ shop, plate rolls, large and small, also keel plate bending machine, &c. The yard is served by a complete system of railways, having a siding from the North Eastern Railway Company’s system. Material can therefore be brought from all parts of the kingdom and deposited in any part of the premises.It is almost unnecessary further to give the particulars of this establishment, suffice it to say that it is being laid out on the experience gained up to date in existing shipyards, and will therefore embrace the newest and most important tools in all branchesof work. The intention is that it shall be capable of turning out every description of vessel up to the largest iron-clad, and the construction of war vessels of all kinds will be made a speciality, seeing that the Company can send them to sea completely armed and equipped ready for service. Looking to the magnitude of the establishment, it can be regarded as nothing less than an arsenal, which in time of war would be invaluable to the country. The present and prospective importance of this development of the combined firms’ business may be inferred simply from the fact of the services of so high an authority as Mr W. H. White, late Chief Constructor of the Navy, having been secured as naval adviser and manager.

The Low Walker yard of this firm was commenced upwards of thirty years ago by Messrs C. Mitchell & Co., who up to 1883 (when they amalgamated with Sir W. G. Armstrong & Co., the notable firm of engineers and artillerists), had built as many as 450 vessels, or an average of 15 vessels per annum, the average tonnage produced during the last ten years being 23,000 tons. The yard is situated about four miles down the Tyne from Newcastle. It consists of about fifteen acres of ground, and has nine launching berths, but their arrangement is such that at times there have been as many as fourteen vessels on the stocks. The establishment is laid out in a most modern manner. The space occupied by the building slips has a uniform gradient, and, being perfectly flat laterally, gives the greatest facility in the movement of bogies. The yard is served by two complete systems of railways, respectively on the 4 feet 8-in. and 2 feet 3-in. gauge. The former is in connection with a siding from the North Eastern Railway, whereby materials and goods can be brought from all parts of the kingdom, and two locomotives are constantly employed working the trucks into the yard, one of them being of very special construction, on Brown’s patent principle, manufactured by Messrs R. & W. Hawthorn, Newcastle. This locomotive is combined with a steam crane, the jib of which acts as a lever with fulcrum, thus dispensing with chains, and which readily swings right round, depositing the plates on edge into racks arranged on either side of the railway, from which they can be taken with great facility by the workmen at the appropriate time.

The yard is divided in two by a building 250 feet long by 50 feet wide, placed at right angles to the river, and which contains plate furnaces, bolt-maker’s shop, plumber’s shop, rivet store, tool stores, large bending rolls, straightening machine, and man-hole punch, on the ground floor; and on the upper storey rigging loft, sail loft, pattern stores, &c. Along the head of the building berths in one half of the yard there is a line of machine shops 400 feet long by 70 feet wide, in one end of which are installed frame furnaces, bending blocks, &c., as also a number of powerful punching machines, planing machines, special machines for angle cutting, and there has recently been added a powerful radial drill, having four moveable arms arranged to drill holes in any part of plate 16 feet by 4 feet without moving it. At the back of this machine shop, and parallel with it, is a smith’s shop 180 feet long by 50 feet wide, fitted up complete with steam hammers, &c. For the other half of the yard there is a large building 200 feet long, and of an average width of about 150 feet, which contains furnace, with bending blocks, &c., several heavy punching machines, planing machines, drilling and other machines; one portion about 80 feet by 60 feet being used as a fitting shop, containing powerful lathes, radial, and other drilling machines on the ground floor, and on the upper floor a lighter class of shaping, drilling, and other machines. In this building are also constructed two drying stoves, wherein the exhaust steam from the engine is used for drying timber. At the upper end of this machine shop is another blacksmiths’ shop 130 feet long by 50 feet wide, containing steam hammer and drilling machines for special work. A separate building, 80 feet long by 50 feet, is used for the bending and welding of beams, and is so placed that the beams can be lifted direct from barges alongside quay, and laid in position, ready for use.

The smiths’, fitters’, and other similar shops are all conveniently situated; and as the vessels lie alongside the quay to be finished off after launching, the minimum of expense in this respect is incurred. There are numerous steam cranes of 10 tons and under on the quays for landing such portion of the material as comes by water, and also to lift articles on board the vessels fitting out.

The sawmills, joiners’ shops, mould loft, &c., are situated at the lower end of the yard, and the appliances for handling and converting timber are most complete. The wood-cutting machinery is veryextensive, and embraces most of the newest labour-saving machines. The establishment in full work employs 2,500 men, and has turned out as much as 30,000 tons gross register of shipping in a year, including almost every type of vessel for mercantile and war purposes, which latter branch of work will now have a further development since the amalgamation with the eminent gun-making firm of Sir W. G. Armstrong & Co. For this purpose a new yard has been laid out at Elswick, adjoining the Ordnance Works, which will be of the most complete character.

The site of this new yard comprises about 20 acres, and at first only half-a-dozen building berths will be laid out, but as the frontage is about 2,000 feet, the number of these can be augmented as required. The buildings already erected or in progress embrace a brick built shop, 265 feet long by 60 feet wide, standing at the western portion of the ground, and at right angles to the river. This building is in three storeys, the lower portion being intended for general stores, tool and rivet stores, fitting shop, &c.; the second floor will be entirely used as a joiners’ shop, and fitted up in the most complete manner with wood-working machinery of every description. The upper floor will be used as a draughting loft and model-room. Parallel to this building, and a little distance from it, will be a blacksmith’s shop, 150 feet by 50 feet. Adjoining the larger building above described, and at right angles to it, is the office block, 120 feet by 45 feet. Along the head of the launching berths stands a tool shed 420 feet long by 40 feet wide, containing the ordinary punching, planing, drilling, and other shipbuilding machines, all of the newest and most powerful type. Near the centre of the site is a large shed 220 feet long, consisting of four bays, each 50 feet wide, the whole carried on cast-iron columns, which will comprise the plate and angle furnaces, bending blocks, beam shop, angle smiths’ shop, plate rolls, large and small, also keel plate bending machine, &c. The yard is served by a complete system of railways, having a siding from the North Eastern Railway Company’s system. Material can therefore be brought from all parts of the kingdom and deposited in any part of the premises.

It is almost unnecessary further to give the particulars of this establishment, suffice it to say that it is being laid out on the experience gained up to date in existing shipyards, and will therefore embrace the newest and most important tools in all branchesof work. The intention is that it shall be capable of turning out every description of vessel up to the largest iron-clad, and the construction of war vessels of all kinds will be made a speciality, seeing that the Company can send them to sea completely armed and equipped ready for service. Looking to the magnitude of the establishment, it can be regarded as nothing less than an arsenal, which in time of war would be invaluable to the country. The present and prospective importance of this development of the combined firms’ business may be inferred simply from the fact of the services of so high an authority as Mr W. H. White, late Chief Constructor of the Navy, having been secured as naval adviser and manager.

DEPTFORD SHIPBUILDING YARD AND REPAIRING DOCKS,SUNDERLAND.

These works, established so far back as 1793, but greatly transformed and extended to suit modern requirements, are owned and presided over by Mr James Laing, son of Mr Philip Laing, their founder. The yard consists of two general sections, situated one on each side of the main road leading to the river Wear. One of these, commonly termed the “Woodyard,” is where wood shipbuilding was conducted in the early days, but which now of course, in common with the other section, is used exclusively for iron shipbuilding. The entire works, including offices, docks, brass foundry, and other premises, cover an area of about thirty acres.The yard embraces the various shops and sheds usually pertaining to building operations in iron, such as iron-working sheds, smiths’ shop, joiners’ shop, upholsterers’ shop, bookmakers’ shop, &c., all well equipped with machine-tools and appliances, needful in producing vessels for the most important shipping companies. The two general sections of the yard are each worked by one compound surface condensing engine, all machines being driven by belting from main lines of shafting, no independent engines being fitted. Scrive-boards, frame furnace, bending blocks, garboard bender, and other machinery are fitted in each section. Gorman’s gas furnaces are used for heating the material, and these, though rather troublesome when first fitted, about twelve years ago, after some alterations in the details, now give complete satisfaction, and surpass in efficiency ordinary coal furnaces. The joiners’ shop is situated in the wood-yard,and the smith’s shop in the other section. In the smith’s shop a separate engine is provided to drive the blast, so that if it is desired the wood-yard can be kept completely going without having the main engine in the other section at work.The berths of Deptford yard, have been occupied since the commencement of iron shipbuilding there, over thirty years ago, with vessels for home and foreign shipowners, amongst others for such well known companies as the Peninsular and Oriental Company, the Union Company, the Royal Mail Company, the West India and Pacific Company, the Royal Netherlands Company, and the Hamburg and South American Company. In 1882 theMexican, of 4670 tons gross measurement, the largest passenger vessel ever built on the North-East Coast, and one of the finest of the Union Company’s fleet of South African mail steamers, was launched from the stocks of Deptford yard. Including theMexican, the following is the list of vessels launched by Mr Laing in the year named:—Name.Material.Owners.Gross Tons.S.S. FriaryIron,British,2307S.S. Mount Tabordo.,do.,2302S.S. Mexicando.,do.,4669S.S. Rhosinado.,do.,2707S.S. Govinado.,do.,2221S.S. Lerodo.,do.,2224S.S. Dolcoathdo.,do.,1824S.S. Ville de Strasbourgdo.,Foreign,2372S.S. Ville de Metzdo.,do.,2375Total23,004At present Mr Laing is building his 301st iron vessel, which represents the 460th vessel produced within the Deptford yard since its commencement in 1793. The work presently on hand chiefly consists of average size steam vessels, combining cargo-carrying powers with high-class accommodation for passengers, several being lighted throughout by electricity, and one being constructed of steel, and having engines on the triple expansion principle.Connected with the shipbuilding yard there are two graving docks of 300 feet and 400 feet in length, one on each side of the river. One of these is situated at the west side of the iron yard parallel to the building berths, and therefore conveniently placed for all kinds of alterations and repairs to vessels. This dock is kept dry by means of pumps which act as circulating pumps for the condensers of the yard engines. The pumps used for emptying this dock,as well as the one on the other side of the river, after a vessel has come in, are of the “Pulsometer” type of large size. The capacity of these docks is such that in one year alone the amount of shipping operated upon, either in the way of repairs, alterations, or simple docking, has reached nearly 60,000 tons. A large number of vessels have undergone the important process of lengthening in these docks—a special and very important branch of shipwork in which Mr Laing has been conspicuously successful. The largest undertaking of this kind was the lengthening of the Peninsular and Oriental Company’s screw-steamerPoonahin 1874 from a length of 315 feet to that of 395, or an increase of 80 feet. The work was satisfactorily completed, and the results of the vessel’s after-behaviour at sea were communicated, along with an account of the work of lengthening, to the Institution of Naval Architects by Mr Edwin De Russett, of the Peninsular and Oriental Company, in 1877.Adjacent to the shipyard are extensive brass and copper works, employing about 300 hands, which, besides supplying all the brass and plumber work required for vessels in the shipyard, undertake similar work for other shipbuilders, also work for the Navy, such as cast gun-metal rams and stern-posts for men-of-war, and brackets for outer-bearings in twin-screws. All sorts of steam and other fittings—Manchester goods—are also here manufactured and dispersed to all parts of the world. Within the same premises are situated the requisite machinery for effecting repairs to the engines and boilers of vessels overhauled in the docks.At present a large range of new Commercial and Drawing Offices are being erected near the principal entrance to the yard. A new joiner’s shop and sawmill will shortly be erected, and other alterations in the internal economy of the shipyard are contemplated. The new range of offices referred to, have a frontage of about 300 feet, and comprise strong room for the preservation of the firm’s books, drawings, &c.; model-room, 40 feet in length; foremen’s room, 40 feet by 30 feet; general office, 42 feet by 41 feet; private offices for Mr Laing & Sons; drawing office, 45 feet by 40 feet; moulding loft, 78 feet by 40 feet; model-making room, &c. An additional and somewhat noteworthy feature in the new buildings will be a large dining hall for the use of those workmen who have their meals brought to them at the yard. Also, a commodiousgymnasium for the benefit of the youth in the employ. These are, in addition to the large “British Workman” already in existence, built by Mr Laing for the use of his employés, and for others who care to subscribe. This institution, comprising dining room, game rooms, smoking room and library, is managed by a committee of the employés, and is self-supporting, a contribution of only one half-penny per week being the qualification for membership, admitting subscriber to all the benefits of the institution.

These works, established so far back as 1793, but greatly transformed and extended to suit modern requirements, are owned and presided over by Mr James Laing, son of Mr Philip Laing, their founder. The yard consists of two general sections, situated one on each side of the main road leading to the river Wear. One of these, commonly termed the “Woodyard,” is where wood shipbuilding was conducted in the early days, but which now of course, in common with the other section, is used exclusively for iron shipbuilding. The entire works, including offices, docks, brass foundry, and other premises, cover an area of about thirty acres.

The yard embraces the various shops and sheds usually pertaining to building operations in iron, such as iron-working sheds, smiths’ shop, joiners’ shop, upholsterers’ shop, bookmakers’ shop, &c., all well equipped with machine-tools and appliances, needful in producing vessels for the most important shipping companies. The two general sections of the yard are each worked by one compound surface condensing engine, all machines being driven by belting from main lines of shafting, no independent engines being fitted. Scrive-boards, frame furnace, bending blocks, garboard bender, and other machinery are fitted in each section. Gorman’s gas furnaces are used for heating the material, and these, though rather troublesome when first fitted, about twelve years ago, after some alterations in the details, now give complete satisfaction, and surpass in efficiency ordinary coal furnaces. The joiners’ shop is situated in the wood-yard,and the smith’s shop in the other section. In the smith’s shop a separate engine is provided to drive the blast, so that if it is desired the wood-yard can be kept completely going without having the main engine in the other section at work.

The berths of Deptford yard, have been occupied since the commencement of iron shipbuilding there, over thirty years ago, with vessels for home and foreign shipowners, amongst others for such well known companies as the Peninsular and Oriental Company, the Union Company, the Royal Mail Company, the West India and Pacific Company, the Royal Netherlands Company, and the Hamburg and South American Company. In 1882 theMexican, of 4670 tons gross measurement, the largest passenger vessel ever built on the North-East Coast, and one of the finest of the Union Company’s fleet of South African mail steamers, was launched from the stocks of Deptford yard. Including theMexican, the following is the list of vessels launched by Mr Laing in the year named:—

At present Mr Laing is building his 301st iron vessel, which represents the 460th vessel produced within the Deptford yard since its commencement in 1793. The work presently on hand chiefly consists of average size steam vessels, combining cargo-carrying powers with high-class accommodation for passengers, several being lighted throughout by electricity, and one being constructed of steel, and having engines on the triple expansion principle.

Connected with the shipbuilding yard there are two graving docks of 300 feet and 400 feet in length, one on each side of the river. One of these is situated at the west side of the iron yard parallel to the building berths, and therefore conveniently placed for all kinds of alterations and repairs to vessels. This dock is kept dry by means of pumps which act as circulating pumps for the condensers of the yard engines. The pumps used for emptying this dock,as well as the one on the other side of the river, after a vessel has come in, are of the “Pulsometer” type of large size. The capacity of these docks is such that in one year alone the amount of shipping operated upon, either in the way of repairs, alterations, or simple docking, has reached nearly 60,000 tons. A large number of vessels have undergone the important process of lengthening in these docks—a special and very important branch of shipwork in which Mr Laing has been conspicuously successful. The largest undertaking of this kind was the lengthening of the Peninsular and Oriental Company’s screw-steamerPoonahin 1874 from a length of 315 feet to that of 395, or an increase of 80 feet. The work was satisfactorily completed, and the results of the vessel’s after-behaviour at sea were communicated, along with an account of the work of lengthening, to the Institution of Naval Architects by Mr Edwin De Russett, of the Peninsular and Oriental Company, in 1877.

Adjacent to the shipyard are extensive brass and copper works, employing about 300 hands, which, besides supplying all the brass and plumber work required for vessels in the shipyard, undertake similar work for other shipbuilders, also work for the Navy, such as cast gun-metal rams and stern-posts for men-of-war, and brackets for outer-bearings in twin-screws. All sorts of steam and other fittings—Manchester goods—are also here manufactured and dispersed to all parts of the world. Within the same premises are situated the requisite machinery for effecting repairs to the engines and boilers of vessels overhauled in the docks.

At present a large range of new Commercial and Drawing Offices are being erected near the principal entrance to the yard. A new joiner’s shop and sawmill will shortly be erected, and other alterations in the internal economy of the shipyard are contemplated. The new range of offices referred to, have a frontage of about 300 feet, and comprise strong room for the preservation of the firm’s books, drawings, &c.; model-room, 40 feet in length; foremen’s room, 40 feet by 30 feet; general office, 42 feet by 41 feet; private offices for Mr Laing & Sons; drawing office, 45 feet by 40 feet; moulding loft, 78 feet by 40 feet; model-making room, &c. An additional and somewhat noteworthy feature in the new buildings will be a large dining hall for the use of those workmen who have their meals brought to them at the yard. Also, a commodiousgymnasium for the benefit of the youth in the employ. These are, in addition to the large “British Workman” already in existence, built by Mr Laing for the use of his employés, and for others who care to subscribe. This institution, comprising dining room, game rooms, smoking room and library, is managed by a committee of the employés, and is self-supporting, a contribution of only one half-penny per week being the qualification for membership, admitting subscriber to all the benefits of the institution.

THE WORKS OF THE BARROW SHIPBUILDING COMPANY (LIMITED).

The Barrow Shipbuilding Company, Limited, was promoted in 1876 by several gentlemen in Barrow connected with the Furness Railway, the Docks, and Steel Works, chief among whom was Mr Ramsden (now Sir James Ramsden) then managing director of the Furness Railway, Mayor of Barrow, and leading spirit in its development generally. The Duke of Devonshire, the largest proprietor in the district and in the other public works mentioned, became the largest shareholder and the chairman of the new shipbuilding company, which was then formally constituted, with Mr Robert Duncan, shipbuilder of Port-Glasgow, as managing director. Mr Duncan designed the whole arrangement of the works as they now stand, and continued to act as managing director till 1875, when he resigned, and was succeeded by Sir James Ramsden, with Mr James Humphreys as manager, which position the latter held till 1880, when he was succeeded by Mr William John, of Lloyd’s Register, to whose talent as a naval architect some tribute has been elsewhere passed in this work.The total area of the plot of land on which these works stand is 58 acres, with two water frontages, each 1050 feet long, one towards Walney Channel, into which the ships are launched, the other towards the docks where the ships are fitted out. The Walney Channel is sufficiently wide to allow of the launching of the largest vessels without risk, and the site is altogether an exceptionably favourable one. The shipbuilding is carried on in that part of the yard adjoining the Walney Channel, being divided from the engine works by a road, under which is a sub-way, which affords the required communication between the two departments.Entering the shipbuilding department by the main gate-way in this dividing road the visitor finds himself in a large square, formed by substantial buildings; to the left hand on entering, are the offices, and to the right some of the smaller shops. The opposite side of the square is occupied by the machine shed and smiths’ shops, whilst on the right-hand side of the square are the frame-bending shed, and on the left the joiners’ shop and the sawmill. Passing through the offices upstairs, the visitor enters a very fine drawing office and model-room, 100 feet by 50 feet, in which an efficient staff of designers are engaged. On the ground floor are the counting-house, officials’ rooms, &c., and beyond these the stores for the supply of everything required in building and outfitting ships and machinery. From the stores, or by the outside square, the moulding loft, 250 feet by 50 feet, is reached, of which the joiners’ shop is a continuation. This department is 300 feet long by 60 feet wide, and is fitted with every modern appliance in the way of tools to facilitate work. At the back of this shop is an immense room, 600 ft. by 60 ft., occupied by a sawmill, and used also for spar-making, boat-building, and rigging. Above these rooms, in continuation of the drawing office and model-room, from which it may be entered, is the cabinet-making department, which necessarily requires a large amount of space in an establishment where passenger and emigrant ships of the largest types are equipped ready for sea. The iron-working machine shed, 360 ft. by 100 ft., and the frame-bending shed, 300 ft. by 180 ft., follow in order, occupying the whole of one, and most of the other side of the square above described. Both of these sections are fully equipped with the machinery necessary for the rapid manipulation of material. The smiths’ shop, 200 ft. by 120 ft., contains one hundred fires and seven steam hammers, the former being blown by a Schiele fan. Attached to the smiths’ shop are shops for fitting smith-work and for galvanizing. All these shops and sheds occupy less than one-third of the ground devoted to the shipbuilding department.Beyond the machine shop are the slip-ways, twelve in number, where vessels of an aggregate tonnage of 40,000 tons have frequently been seen at one time in various stages of construction. On these slip-ways have been built the well-known mail steamerCity of Romeand the steamshipNormandie, the largest vessel of the French mail service. Here also were built for the Anchor LinetheAnchoria, theDevonia, theCircassia, and theFurnessia; for the Ducal Line, theDuke of Devonshire, theDuke of Buccleuch, theDuke of Lancaster, theDuke of Buckingham, and theDuke of Westminster. From these slip-ways also emanated theGangesand theSutlejfor the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company as well as theEdenand theEskfor the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company. For the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, theBen my Chree, theFenella, and thePeveril. For theSociété Anonymede Navigation Belge Américaine, the s.s.BelgenlandandRhyhland. For the Castle Line, the s.s.Pembroke Castle, and for theSociété Générale de Transports Maritimes à Vapeurof Marseilles, the s.s.NavarreandBearn. Here were also produced theKow Shingfor the Indo-China Steam Navigation Company, and theTakapunafor the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, besides many other vessels well known to the mercantile world. For the Admiralty this yard has turned out seven gun-boats, namely, theFoxhound, theForward, theGrappler, theWrangler, theWasp, theBanterer, and theEspoir, as well as four torpedo mooring ships.Leaving the shipbuilding department, the visitor passes through the afore-mentioned sub-way to the engine works, which occupies an area of ground equal to that of the shipyard proper. To the left may be noticed the coppersmith’s shop, the brass foundry, and the engineer’s smithy. The Foundry has seven ordinary pot furnaces, and one large reverberatory air furnace for castings of the heaviest class. The smithy is well fitted up with hammers suitable for the work. On the opposite side of the ground are two buildings, the one to the left containing the iron foundry and boiler shop. The foundry, 250 ft. by 150 ft., provided with overhead travellers, is capable of turning out the largest castings required for the monster marine engines of the present day. The boiler shop is the same size, and possesses the most modern contrivances for the skilful and economical execution of work, and it contains a complete equipment of hydraulic riveting machines, both fixed and portable, the largest having a gap of 10 feet and a pressure of 90-lbs.In the space between the boiler shop and the machine shop there are situated a well-arranged furnace for heating, and the vertical rolls for bending the large plates forming the shells of the marine boilers. In the furnace just mentioned the plates are heated while standing on their edge, and as the top of thefurnace is level with the ground, they are readily lifted out by a portable crane and deposited on the bed-plate adjoining the vertical rolls. In this vacant space is also situated the water tower for the accumulator for the 100-ton crane, constructed by Sir Wm. G. Armstrong and erected at the side of the Devonshire Dock, where the machinery is placed on board and fixed for new ships.The engine shop, although 420 ft. long by 100 ft. wide, is scarcely large enough for the pressure of work oftentimes concentrated there. This shop is unsurpassed in the completeness of its fittings and the perfection of its tools. It, like most of the other shops in the establishment, is fitted up with the electric light.

The Barrow Shipbuilding Company, Limited, was promoted in 1876 by several gentlemen in Barrow connected with the Furness Railway, the Docks, and Steel Works, chief among whom was Mr Ramsden (now Sir James Ramsden) then managing director of the Furness Railway, Mayor of Barrow, and leading spirit in its development generally. The Duke of Devonshire, the largest proprietor in the district and in the other public works mentioned, became the largest shareholder and the chairman of the new shipbuilding company, which was then formally constituted, with Mr Robert Duncan, shipbuilder of Port-Glasgow, as managing director. Mr Duncan designed the whole arrangement of the works as they now stand, and continued to act as managing director till 1875, when he resigned, and was succeeded by Sir James Ramsden, with Mr James Humphreys as manager, which position the latter held till 1880, when he was succeeded by Mr William John, of Lloyd’s Register, to whose talent as a naval architect some tribute has been elsewhere passed in this work.

The total area of the plot of land on which these works stand is 58 acres, with two water frontages, each 1050 feet long, one towards Walney Channel, into which the ships are launched, the other towards the docks where the ships are fitted out. The Walney Channel is sufficiently wide to allow of the launching of the largest vessels without risk, and the site is altogether an exceptionably favourable one. The shipbuilding is carried on in that part of the yard adjoining the Walney Channel, being divided from the engine works by a road, under which is a sub-way, which affords the required communication between the two departments.

Entering the shipbuilding department by the main gate-way in this dividing road the visitor finds himself in a large square, formed by substantial buildings; to the left hand on entering, are the offices, and to the right some of the smaller shops. The opposite side of the square is occupied by the machine shed and smiths’ shops, whilst on the right-hand side of the square are the frame-bending shed, and on the left the joiners’ shop and the sawmill. Passing through the offices upstairs, the visitor enters a very fine drawing office and model-room, 100 feet by 50 feet, in which an efficient staff of designers are engaged. On the ground floor are the counting-house, officials’ rooms, &c., and beyond these the stores for the supply of everything required in building and outfitting ships and machinery. From the stores, or by the outside square, the moulding loft, 250 feet by 50 feet, is reached, of which the joiners’ shop is a continuation. This department is 300 feet long by 60 feet wide, and is fitted with every modern appliance in the way of tools to facilitate work. At the back of this shop is an immense room, 600 ft. by 60 ft., occupied by a sawmill, and used also for spar-making, boat-building, and rigging. Above these rooms, in continuation of the drawing office and model-room, from which it may be entered, is the cabinet-making department, which necessarily requires a large amount of space in an establishment where passenger and emigrant ships of the largest types are equipped ready for sea. The iron-working machine shed, 360 ft. by 100 ft., and the frame-bending shed, 300 ft. by 180 ft., follow in order, occupying the whole of one, and most of the other side of the square above described. Both of these sections are fully equipped with the machinery necessary for the rapid manipulation of material. The smiths’ shop, 200 ft. by 120 ft., contains one hundred fires and seven steam hammers, the former being blown by a Schiele fan. Attached to the smiths’ shop are shops for fitting smith-work and for galvanizing. All these shops and sheds occupy less than one-third of the ground devoted to the shipbuilding department.

Beyond the machine shop are the slip-ways, twelve in number, where vessels of an aggregate tonnage of 40,000 tons have frequently been seen at one time in various stages of construction. On these slip-ways have been built the well-known mail steamerCity of Romeand the steamshipNormandie, the largest vessel of the French mail service. Here also were built for the Anchor LinetheAnchoria, theDevonia, theCircassia, and theFurnessia; for the Ducal Line, theDuke of Devonshire, theDuke of Buccleuch, theDuke of Lancaster, theDuke of Buckingham, and theDuke of Westminster. From these slip-ways also emanated theGangesand theSutlejfor the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company as well as theEdenand theEskfor the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company. For the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, theBen my Chree, theFenella, and thePeveril. For theSociété Anonymede Navigation Belge Américaine, the s.s.BelgenlandandRhyhland. For the Castle Line, the s.s.Pembroke Castle, and for theSociété Générale de Transports Maritimes à Vapeurof Marseilles, the s.s.NavarreandBearn. Here were also produced theKow Shingfor the Indo-China Steam Navigation Company, and theTakapunafor the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, besides many other vessels well known to the mercantile world. For the Admiralty this yard has turned out seven gun-boats, namely, theFoxhound, theForward, theGrappler, theWrangler, theWasp, theBanterer, and theEspoir, as well as four torpedo mooring ships.

Leaving the shipbuilding department, the visitor passes through the afore-mentioned sub-way to the engine works, which occupies an area of ground equal to that of the shipyard proper. To the left may be noticed the coppersmith’s shop, the brass foundry, and the engineer’s smithy. The Foundry has seven ordinary pot furnaces, and one large reverberatory air furnace for castings of the heaviest class. The smithy is well fitted up with hammers suitable for the work. On the opposite side of the ground are two buildings, the one to the left containing the iron foundry and boiler shop. The foundry, 250 ft. by 150 ft., provided with overhead travellers, is capable of turning out the largest castings required for the monster marine engines of the present day. The boiler shop is the same size, and possesses the most modern contrivances for the skilful and economical execution of work, and it contains a complete equipment of hydraulic riveting machines, both fixed and portable, the largest having a gap of 10 feet and a pressure of 90-lbs.

In the space between the boiler shop and the machine shop there are situated a well-arranged furnace for heating, and the vertical rolls for bending the large plates forming the shells of the marine boilers. In the furnace just mentioned the plates are heated while standing on their edge, and as the top of thefurnace is level with the ground, they are readily lifted out by a portable crane and deposited on the bed-plate adjoining the vertical rolls. In this vacant space is also situated the water tower for the accumulator for the 100-ton crane, constructed by Sir Wm. G. Armstrong and erected at the side of the Devonshire Dock, where the machinery is placed on board and fixed for new ships.

The engine shop, although 420 ft. long by 100 ft. wide, is scarcely large enough for the pressure of work oftentimes concentrated there. This shop is unsurpassed in the completeness of its fittings and the perfection of its tools. It, like most of the other shops in the establishment, is fitted up with the electric light.

The foregoing descriptive notes of individual yards may fittingly be supplemented by the following table, which shows the number and relative positions of firms throughout all the districts whose total output of tonnage during the year 1883 exceeded 20,000 tons:—


Back to IndexNext