An Act to incorporate “The Joint Board of the Theological Colleges affiliated with McGill University.”Whereas the voluntary association known as “The Joint Board of the Theological Colleges affiliated with McGill University” and “The Board of Cooperation of the Theological Colleges affiliated with McGill University” have, by their petition, represented as follows:That the theological colleges affiliated with McGill University have found it advantageous to cooperate for the training of students for the Christian ministry, and have actually so cooperated for some time with success; that in consequence, considerable sums of money have been subscribed by friends of the movement for the purpose of furnishing means and equipment; that a temporary joint board of managers (to-wit the petitioners) representing each of the colleges concerned, has been in existence for some time, engaged in organizing the work of this cooperation; said joint board being composed as follows:The Reverend Principal Hill, D.D., Rev. Hugh Pedley, D.D., Charles Gurd, Esq., Alexander M. Murphy, Esq., William D. Lighthall, Esq., K.C., Thomas B. Macaulay, Esq., all representing the Congregational College of Canada; the Reverend Principal Rexford, D.D., Rev. Allan P. Shatford, M.A., George E. Drummond, Esq., George G. Foster, Esq., K.C., Lieutenant-Colonel Carson, Lansing Lewis, Esq., D.C.L., all representing the Montreal Diocesan Theological College; the Reverend Principal Scrimger, D.D., Rev. R. Bruce Taylor, D.D., David Morrice, Esq., John W. Ross, Esq., William M. Birks, Esq., William Yuile, Esq., all representing the Presbyterian Theological College; the Reverend Principal Smyth, D.D., Rev. W.R. Young, D.D., George F. Johnson, Esq., Charles C. Holland, Esq., William Hanson, Esq., J.W. McConnell, Esq., all representing the Wesleyan Theological College; the said persons being also the Board of Governors of the said Voluntary Association; etc.The Faculty for 1914-15 is as follows:Rev. Principal E. Munson Hill, M.A., D.D., Professor of Homiletics and Practical Theology; Rev. Principal Elson I. Rexford, M.A., LL. D., D.C.L., John Duncan Professor of Dogmatic Theology; Rev. Principal John Scrimger, M.A., D.D., Professor of Systematic Theology; Rev. Principal James Smyth, B.A., LL. D., Webber-Franklin Professor of New Testament Language and Literature; Rev. G. Abbott-Smith, M.A., D.D., Archbishop Bond Professor of New Testament Literature; Rev. Charles Bieler, B.A., D.D., O.I.P., Professor of French Theological Subjects; Rev. E. Albert Cook, B.D., Ph. D., Professor of Systematic Theology and Philosophy of Religion; Rev. D.J. Fraser, M.A., D.D., LL. D., Professor of New Testament Literature and Exegesis; Rev. Alex R. Gordon, M.A., D. Litt., D.D., Professor of Old Testament Literature and Exegesis; Rev. Oswald W. Howard, B.A., D.D., Professor of Apologetics and Ecclesiastical History; Rev. P.L. Richardson, B.A., B.D., Douglas Professor of Systematic Theology; Rev. J. H, Robinson, M.A., B.D., Professor of Church History; Rev. Paul Villard, M.A., M.D., O.A., Professor of French Literatureand Apologetics; Rev. W.H. Warriner, M, A., D.D., Professor of New Testament Literature and Exegesis; Rev. R.E. Welsh, M.A., D.D., Professor of Apologetics and Church History.Dean: Rev. Principal John Scrimger.Secretary: Rev. Professor D.J. Fraser.
An Act to incorporate “The Joint Board of the Theological Colleges affiliated with McGill University.”
Whereas the voluntary association known as “The Joint Board of the Theological Colleges affiliated with McGill University” and “The Board of Cooperation of the Theological Colleges affiliated with McGill University” have, by their petition, represented as follows:
That the theological colleges affiliated with McGill University have found it advantageous to cooperate for the training of students for the Christian ministry, and have actually so cooperated for some time with success; that in consequence, considerable sums of money have been subscribed by friends of the movement for the purpose of furnishing means and equipment; that a temporary joint board of managers (to-wit the petitioners) representing each of the colleges concerned, has been in existence for some time, engaged in organizing the work of this cooperation; said joint board being composed as follows:
The Reverend Principal Hill, D.D., Rev. Hugh Pedley, D.D., Charles Gurd, Esq., Alexander M. Murphy, Esq., William D. Lighthall, Esq., K.C., Thomas B. Macaulay, Esq., all representing the Congregational College of Canada; the Reverend Principal Rexford, D.D., Rev. Allan P. Shatford, M.A., George E. Drummond, Esq., George G. Foster, Esq., K.C., Lieutenant-Colonel Carson, Lansing Lewis, Esq., D.C.L., all representing the Montreal Diocesan Theological College; the Reverend Principal Scrimger, D.D., Rev. R. Bruce Taylor, D.D., David Morrice, Esq., John W. Ross, Esq., William M. Birks, Esq., William Yuile, Esq., all representing the Presbyterian Theological College; the Reverend Principal Smyth, D.D., Rev. W.R. Young, D.D., George F. Johnson, Esq., Charles C. Holland, Esq., William Hanson, Esq., J.W. McConnell, Esq., all representing the Wesleyan Theological College; the said persons being also the Board of Governors of the said Voluntary Association; etc.
The Faculty for 1914-15 is as follows:
Rev. Principal E. Munson Hill, M.A., D.D., Professor of Homiletics and Practical Theology; Rev. Principal Elson I. Rexford, M.A., LL. D., D.C.L., John Duncan Professor of Dogmatic Theology; Rev. Principal John Scrimger, M.A., D.D., Professor of Systematic Theology; Rev. Principal James Smyth, B.A., LL. D., Webber-Franklin Professor of New Testament Language and Literature; Rev. G. Abbott-Smith, M.A., D.D., Archbishop Bond Professor of New Testament Literature; Rev. Charles Bieler, B.A., D.D., O.I.P., Professor of French Theological Subjects; Rev. E. Albert Cook, B.D., Ph. D., Professor of Systematic Theology and Philosophy of Religion; Rev. D.J. Fraser, M.A., D.D., LL. D., Professor of New Testament Literature and Exegesis; Rev. Alex R. Gordon, M.A., D. Litt., D.D., Professor of Old Testament Literature and Exegesis; Rev. Oswald W. Howard, B.A., D.D., Professor of Apologetics and Ecclesiastical History; Rev. P.L. Richardson, B.A., B.D., Douglas Professor of Systematic Theology; Rev. J. H, Robinson, M.A., B.D., Professor of Church History; Rev. Paul Villard, M.A., M.D., O.A., Professor of French Literatureand Apologetics; Rev. W.H. Warriner, M, A., D.D., Professor of New Testament Literature and Exegesis; Rev. R.E. Welsh, M.A., D.D., Professor of Apologetics and Church History.
Dean: Rev. Principal John Scrimger.
Secretary: Rev. Professor D.J. Fraser.
THE CONGREGATIONAL COLLEGE OF CANADA.
The Congressional College of Canada dates its history from a class of four students who studied under Rev. Adam Lillie, at Dundas, Ontario, in 1839. Mr. Lillie was educated in Glasgow University. He went to India under the London Missionary Society, but the climate did not permit him to stay. Returning to Scotland, he was persuaded by Doctor Wilkes to come to Canada and organized the Church in Brantford. He soon removed to Dundas and began the instruction of young men for the ministry at the urgency of Rev. John Roaf, on behalf of the Colonial Missionary Society. From the beginning until 1869, Adam Lillie was the presiding genius, with Doctor Wickson as his strong co-laborer. Thus, Congregational Christians were the first Protestants in Canada to make regular provision for education of the ministry.
In 1840, this gathering of students was moved to Toronto, and called “The Congregational Academy.” This was an historic name, coming from the time when “Dissenters,” in the seventeenth century in England, were under the ban and their ministers forbidden to come within five miles of any town, or to teach any public or private school. But many of these men were eminent scholars who braved the harsh law, and taught youth. When the times of toleration came these groups grew into “academies.”
In 1842, a similar institution was opened in Montreal through the pressure of Rev. Henry Wilkes, of Zion Church. Rev. J.J. Carruthers, of the universities of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, was brought out to conduct the Theological, Biblical, and Classical courses. This was done with the sanction and help of the Colonial Missionary Society. But funds fell short, and it was decided in 1845 to unite the Montreal and Toronto Congregational Institutions. This was done, and the name “Congregational Theological Institute” was chosen, and its control was changed from the Unions to the subscribers.
In 1848, a Congregational institution was opened in Liverpool, Nova Scotia, the result of a bequest of Mr. James Gorham, and was called Gorham College. But the building was burned in 1854, and the Maritime Churches were unable to maintain it more than three years. Its good-will and its library were given to the Toronto Institute. Another advantage accrued to the common cause by leading to the use of the name “College,” and making it possible to adopt the comprehensive title “Congregational College of British North America,” in 1860. And still greater was the fact that Prof. George Cornish, who had come from English colleges to teach in the Gorham College, became professor of Greek in McGill, and was ready to teach in this college if it should go to Montreal.
In Toronto the preparatory courses were taken with much difficulty in King’s College. This was established in 1842, and was under strong Anglican control perpetuating the old country attitude toward Free Churches. In 1849 this College became the University of Toronto, with a broader foundation. But no affiliationwas offered, and interest in the College was growing less with consequent decrease of funds.
Stronger supporters were coming forward in Montreal, affiliation could be secured with McGill, Professor Cornish would be a great help, and church life in Montreal was vigorous and united. “The movement for removal was prompted by western men and largely carried by them. Montreal did not propose or vote for it,” says Doctor Marling. After the final discussion by the corporation of subscribers in Brantford in 1864, the vote for removal was unanimous.
In 1864, the session opened in the rooms of Zion Church, on Beaver Hall Hill, and the first Act of Incorporation was secured from the Dominion Parliament. Then, from 1880 to 1884, the library and recitation rooms were in Emmanuel Church. On coming to Montreal the College was admitted to affiliation with McGill, the first of the Theological Colleges to enjoy that privilege.
A great loss was suffered in the death of Doctor Lillie in 1869. A memorial fund of $1,000 was raised, which was the nucleus of the Endowment Fund. Doctor Wilkes was chosen Principal and gave his great energy and business skill and his influence among the British churches to the College.
In 1884, certain friends, chiefly in Montreal, generously erected and presented to the College the building on McTavish Street, which it now occupies, together with the ground on which the Principal’s residence was afterward built. At that time an amendment to the Act of Incorporation changed the name to “The Congregational College of Canada.”
The Colonial Missionary Society of England was a large factor in beginning the work of the College, and has stood by it in all times of distress with generous financial aid. It will ever remain first on the roll of the benefactors. Mr. and Mrs. S.H.C. Miner have been the largest donors to the Endowment Fund and to current expenses. The Endowment Fund now stands at $110,000.
The Principals have been as follows:
Rev. Adam Lillie, D.D., 1839-69; Rev. Henry Wilkes, D.D., LL. D., 1870-83; Rev. John Frederick Stevenson, LL. B., D.D., 1883-86; Rev. William M. Barbour, D.D., 1887-97; Rev. Joseph Henry George, Ph. D., D.D., 1898-1901; Rev. Edward Munson Hill, M.A., D.D., 1901-.
The Professors and Lecturers have been:
Rev. J.J. Carruthers, D.D., 1842-45; Rev. Arthur Wickson, LL. D., 1850-62; Rev. Henry Wilkes, D.D., LL. D., 1841-86; Rev. George Cornish, M.A., LL. D., 1864-91; Rev. Charles Chapman, M.A., LL. D., 1871-76; Rev. Archibald Duff, Jr., M.A., 1875-76; Rev. K.M. Fenwick, 1872-84; Rev. J. F, Stevenson, LL. B., D.D., 1877-86; Rev. Edward Munson Hill, M.A., 1883; Rev. John Burton, B.D., 1883-88; Rev. S.N. Jackson, M.D., 1884-93; Rev. W.H. Warriner, M.A., D.D., 1886; Rev. E.C. Evans, D.D., 1898-1900; Rev. D.S. Hamilton, B.A., 1899-1901; Rev. Harlan Creelman, B.D., Ph. D., 1899-1908; Rev. Eugene W. Lyman, B.A., B.D., 1904-05; Rev. Herbert A. Youtz, B.D., Ph. D., 1905-08; Rev. E. Albert Cook, Ph. D., 1908-.
The office of Chairman of the Board was created in 1864, the incumbents of that office since that date having been:
Rev. Henry Wilkes, D.D., 1864-71; Rev. Charles Chapman, M.A., LL. D., 1871-76; Rev. J.F. Stevenson, LL. B., D.D., 1876-83; George Hague, Esq.,1883-91; Rev. George Cornish, M.A., LL. D., 1891-96; J. Redpath Dougall, M.A., 1896-1902, S. Henderson Miner, Esq., 1902-11; Charles Gurd, Esq., 1911-.
The following have filled the office of treasurer:
Rev. John Roaf, 1839-55; Mr. Patrick Freeland, 1855-64; Mr. T.M. Taylor, 1864-66; Mr. J.P. Clarke, 1866-73; Mr. R.C. Jamieson, 1873-88; Mr. C.R. Black, 1889-92; Mr. T. Moodie, 1892-.
The Secretaries have been:
Rev. T. Machin, 1841-45; Mr. R. Beekman, 1845-48; Rev. Edward Ebbs, 1848-50, Joint Secretary, 1854-5, 1857-58; Mr. Patrick Freeland, 1850-55; Rev. F.H. Marling, 1855-64; Rev. George Cornish, LL. D., 1864-91; Prof. W.H. Warriner, D.D., 1891-98; Rev. E. Munson Hill, M.A., 1899-1902; Mr. A. McA. Murphy, 1903-.
MONTREAL DIOCESAN THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE
This College was founded in the year 1873, by the late Rt. Rev. Ashton Oxenden, D.D., then Bishop of Montreal and Metropolitan of Canada. He makes the following reference to it in his autobiography:
“I, at length, felt justified in taking a step for the good of my own Diocese. I decided on establishing a Theological College in Montreal, for the training of our candidates for Holy Orders. With this view, I procured from England, the aid of a first-rate man, Mr. Lobley, a late Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, who undertook the office of Principal. He was a good and able man, and, in the face of many difficulties which he fearlessly surmounted, he started the College, which has now become a prominent and useful feature in the Diocese. On his subsequent promotion to the Principalship of Bishop’s College, Lennoxville, he was succeeded by Doctor Henderson, under whose steady and unflagging superintendence the College still flourishes.”—(Extract from “History of My Life,” 1891.)
“I, at length, felt justified in taking a step for the good of my own Diocese. I decided on establishing a Theological College in Montreal, for the training of our candidates for Holy Orders. With this view, I procured from England, the aid of a first-rate man, Mr. Lobley, a late Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, who undertook the office of Principal. He was a good and able man, and, in the face of many difficulties which he fearlessly surmounted, he started the College, which has now become a prominent and useful feature in the Diocese. On his subsequent promotion to the Principalship of Bishop’s College, Lennoxville, he was succeeded by Doctor Henderson, under whose steady and unflagging superintendence the College still flourishes.”—(Extract from “History of My Life,” 1891.)
The step was forced upon Bishop Oxenden by the rapid growth of the Church in the Diocese, and the impossibility of securing in any other way a satisfactory supply of clergy to meet the increasing needs of his Diocese.
The work of the College began in the Library of the Synod Hall, and was carried on there for eight years, when a more suitable building was provided by the munificence of the late A.F. Gault, who purchased the property, 896 Dorchester Street, now occupied by the Young Women’s Christian Association, at a cost of $23,000, and presented it to the College in trust.
There the work was continued under much more favorable conditions, as a permanent home was provided for both Principal and Students. Additional funds were raised which secured the appointment of a resident Tutor to assist the Principal, and provided remuneration for different clergy of the city who lectured regularly in the College. Among the first lecturers were the late Most Rev. W.B. Bond, Archbishop of Montreal; the late Rt. Rev. James Carmichael, D.D., Coadjutor Bishop of Montreal; the late Rt. Rev. E. Sullivan, D.D., formerlyBishop of Algoma, and afterwards Rector of St. James Cathedral, Toronto; the late Rt. Rev. Maurice S. Baldwin, D.D., Bishop of Huron; Rt. Rev. J.P. Du Moulin, D.D., Bishop of Niagara.
While its internal growth was thus satisfactory, the position of the College as a Church institution was more clearly defined, and its relations with the educational world were extended. In 1879, an act of incorporation was obtained from the Legislature of Quebec, and in 1880, it was affiliated with the University of McGill College.
In 1891, by the Canon relating to Degrees in Divinity, the Diocesan Theological College, with the five other theological colleges of this ecclesiastical province, was duly recognized by the Provincial Synod of Canada, and entitled to representation on the Board of Examiners for degrees in Divinity.
In 1895, owing to the increasing influence and needs of the College, the late A.F. Gault announced his intention of presenting a more suitable building and of adding to the endowment of the College. The “Holland” property on University Street was purchased for that purpose, and a very handsome and commodious building erected. The building, which is in the collegiate gothic style, includes a semi-detached residence for the Principal, a chapel with a seating capacity for fifty students, a convocation hall capable of holding 500 persons, commodious lecture rooms, dining room, library, gymnasium and accommodation for about thirty-five resident students. The whole was also magnificently furnished by the same generous donor, and the sum of $50,000 was added to the endowment.
The buildings and additional endowment were formally handed over to the Bishop of the Diocese on the occasion of the opening of the College, on October 21, 1906, in the presence of His Grace the Primate of all Canada, and a number of other bishops, clergy, and visitors, and these were given in perpetuity without conditions of any kind in trust to the Bishop of Montreal and his successors.
While the College was originally founded for, and has always served to supply the needs of the Diocese, which has a first claim upon it, its name Diocesan is not to be interpreted in a strictly local sense. The aim of the College is to furnish a supply of capable men, primarily for the Diocese of Montreal, then for the wider field of the whole Dominion, and in some degree also for the boundless field beyond—the harvest field of the world.
The present principal, the Rev. Elson I. Rexford, M.A., LL. D., D.C.L., was appointed in 1903.
THE PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE, MONTREAL
The Presbyterian College, Montreal, is an institution solely for the training of ministers. Its establishment was authorized by the Synod of the Canada Presbyterian Church in 1864, at the request of a number of ministers and prominent laymen in the city of Montreal, with a special view to supplying the pressing needs of the congregations and missions in the valleys of the Ottawa and Lower St. Lawrence, for which it was found difficult to secure a sufficiency of trained men. A charter of incorporation was obtained in 1865, but work was actually begun only in October, 1867, when classes were opened in the Lecture Hall of Erskine Church, under the instruction of the Rev. Wm. Gregg, of Toronto, andof Rev. Wm. Aitken, of Smith’s Falls, as lecturers for the session. In 1868 the Rev. D.H. MacVicar was appointed sole professor of Divinity. On the addition of other members to the permanent staff, he was made Principal, and occupied this position until his death in 1902. The Rev. Dr. Robert Campbell exercised the function till the appointment of the present principal, the Rev. John Scrimger, appointed in 1904.
The first building for the use of the College was erected in 1873, on a site immediately adjoining the grounds of McGill University. This building soon became insufficient, and in 1882 it was greatly enlarged through the liberality of Mr. David Morrice, the Chairman of the Board of Management.
The College is controlled entirely by the Presbyterian Church in Canada, the General Assembly appointing its Board of Management and Senate each year, as well as filling all vacancies on the staff. For educational purposes it is affiliated to McGill University, and maintains the closest relations with that institution. The students receive practically all their literary training in the University classes.
THE WESLEYAN THEOLOGICAL COLLEGE
This institution was founded in the year 1872, by the Wesleyan Methodist Church of Canada, for the training of candidates for the Ministry, and began its educational work, September 29, 1873. In 1879, by direction of the General Conference of the Methodist Church of Canada, an act of Incorporation was obtained from the Legislature of the Province of Quebec, and the College was affiliated to McGill University. At the Union, in 1883, of the several Methodist bodies in Canada, constituting “The Methodist Church,” it was recognized as having the same relation which it previously held as one of the Connexional Educational Institutions of the Church. In 1887 the Charter was so amended by the Legislature of the Province of Quebec as to give to the Institution the power to confer degrees in Divinity.
The present buildings, which were erected in 1914, on the site formerly occupied in part by the old building were formally opened on Saturday, October 3, 1914, and are situated on University Street, near Mount Royal, at the eastern entrance to the University grounds and accommodate about one hundred students.
Rev. George Douglas, D.D., LL. D., the first Principal, held that position for twenty-one years, and the late Reverend Doctor Shaw was connected with the Institution, first as Professor and afterwards as Principal, from its foundation till 1910.
The present Principal, Rev. James Smyth, B.A., LL. D., of Belfast, Ireland, was appointed in 1911.
II
LAVAL UNIVERSITY
While the history of the University of McGill is largely that of a small germinal University gradually developing the potentialities of its charter, that of the University of Laval at Montreal is one of a gradual evolution from the preexisting embryonic schools of arts, philosophy, theology, law and medicinewhich arose in due course, as the higher education of Catholics, principally of the French Canadian population, became gradually organized. In due course all these elements, when well advanced, were absorbed into the university proper when founded in 1876. Its story, therefore, involves the description of the component parts of its constitution, and the first dates of interest connected with the foundation of the predecessors are those of the present “Montreal College.”
The “Collège de Montreal,” which would seem to be the logical continuation of theécoles de Latinin existence up to the capitulation, and had supplemented thepetits écolesstarted early in 1657, after the arrival of the Sulpicians, was founded about 1767 in the presbytery of the Curé of Longue Pointe by M.J. Baptiste Curatteau de Blaisérie, a Sulpician priest. He had a decided taste for education and the direction of youth. To provide the beginning of a classical education for pious citizens and for the needs of the future aspirants of the clergy he had added an annex to his presbytery, and rapidly a small boarding school arose which became known as the “Petit Séminaire” or “Collège.” He was assisted in his work by two ecclesiastical students, Mm. J.B. Dumouchel and J.B. Huet d’Alude.
The success attending this venture encouraged the citizens to establish a regular college at Montreal similar to that at Quebec. Accordingly the church wardens of Notre Dame came to the assistance of M. Curatteau to place him in charge of an establishment at the Château Vaudreuil, the palace of the late governor general, then for sale, buying it, and thus, in 1773, the College of St. Raphael was installed on October 1st. The college started with about fifty-twopensionnairesand a like number ofexternes. The prize list of 1774, proclaimed in Latin, reveals six classes, the highest of which was called the “Schola Humanitatis.”
The memory prize of this class was awarded to Franciscus Papineau and Petrus Amabilis de Bonne de Missede, the future Judge of Common Pleas (Ex aequo), while the first prize for French into Latin fell to F. Papineau and the second to Ludovicus Bonnet. In 1789 at the term composition proclaimed in January we find the highest class named Rhetoric, the first boy called the “Imperator” being Joannes Baptista Curot. Benjamin Dys Viger comes second as “Cæsar,” and Ambrosius Sanguinet as “Consul.” In Scholâ Tertia the Imperator is Jacobus Lartigue, the future first bishop of Montreal.
M. Curatteau died in Montreal on February 11, 1790, at the age of sixty years. His will of January 29, 1774, leaves all his property to the college and should it fail, his estate should be revertible, two-thirds to the General Hospital and a third to the Hôtel Dieu. He was succeeded as principal in 1790 by M.J.B. Marchand, a priest, with seven other professors, of whom five were ecclesiastics, one a layman and the seventh a priest. M. Ignace Leclerc, the professor of the philosophy class, started his course this year. The terms about this time were for the “pensionnaires” £14-11-8, and for the externes one guinea for entrance and nothing more. The catalogue of students for 1790 reveals there were about ninety scholars, the ages varying from twenty-one, in Philosophy (although one there is twenty-nine) to eight, in the lowest class, with one of six years of age. There do not appear many English names.3In the last class, however, there are some beginning to enter, viz., Jean O’Sullivan (aged nine years) and Nicholas Hamilton (aged eight years). In the prize list of 1792 there is a “Patricius Smith” who receiveshonourable mention for arithmetic. An English class for French students was begun in 1789. This dual instruction was then apparently developed in the colony. In later years it has somewhat lapsed.
LAVAL UNIVERSITYLAVAL UNIVERSITY
LAVAL UNIVERSITY
MONTREAL COLLEGEMONTREAL COLLEGE
MONTREAL COLLEGE
Three years after its inauguration the Collége de St. Raphaël in 1773 staged a tragedy in three acts, presented by its scholars. It was printed in 1776, “Chez Fleury Mesplet et Ch. Berger, Imprimeurs et Libraires” and was entitled “Jonathan et David, ou Le Triomphe de L’Amitié.” Declamations, little pieces, lyrical or tragical, formal compliments to the students or the professors used to take place at the end of the distribution of prizes or on thejour de fêteof the principal.
M. Montgolfier wrote on August 25, 1778, to Bishop Briand acquainting him that “His Excellency, Sir Frederick Haldimand, had been present at the little tragedy of the Sacrifice of Abraham at the completion of the classes; at the end of the distribution of prizes he has given much praise to this establishment and, having learnt from me that this house has no fixed revenue he sent me next day a present of 100 guineas for the college and at the same time, 50 guineas for the Hospital General ‘for the work of the foundlings there.’”
In the great fire of 1803, the Collége of St. Raphaël was destroyed in June 6th. It was rebuilt in 1804, at the expense of the Seminary of St. Sulpice, on College Street, not far from the “little river” and was opened on October, 1804, under the name of the “Collège or the Petit Séminaire de Montréal.” The seminary remained on College Street till it was transferred to a portion of the fine establishment of the Grand Seminary which was built between 1854-1857 by the Seminary at the old Mountain Fort or the “Fort des Messieurs,” being opened the 18th of January, 1862. The old college was rented to the British government for a barracks for the soldiers who entered the city on December, 1861. The Collège de Montréal has remained on its present site ever since.
The school of theology was founded in 1825 by Mgr. Lartigue in his Episcopal residence at St. James church on St. Denis Street. In 1840 it was transferred, having about fifteen students, to the Collège de Montréal on College Street and took the name of the “Grand Séminaire.” In 1857 it was again transferred, to the present site at the old “Fort des Messieurs,” the new building being commenced on September 8, 1854, and blessed on September 8, 1857. The superiors of the Grand Séminaire since its foundation have been:
Pierre Louis Billaudèle, 1840-1846; Joseph Alexandre Baile, 1846-1866; Jean Baptiste Benoit Larue, 1866-1871; Jules Claude Delavigne, 1871-1872; Frederic Louis Colin, 1872-1881; Isaie Marie Charles Lecoq, 1881-1903; Ferdinand Louis Lelandais, 1903.
The Collège de Ste. Marie is the successor of the attempt made in 1694 to establish a classical college in Montreal. After the return of the Jesuits to Montreal on May 31, 1842, an early invitation came from the citizens to commence a college. On August 20, 1846, land was bought at a very favourable price from M. John Donegani, but before the work was in hand the typhus outbreak intervened. It was not till September 20, 1848, that the school was opened with thirteen pupils in two classes in a temporary frame building still standing at the corner of St. Alexander and Dorchester streets. In May, 1850, the building of the college was renewed and on July 31st the finished college was blessed by Bishop Bourget with the public chapel attached. The Gésu was not built till 1864. The classes to be given were the usual classical course to be followed by a philosophical course.
In 1889 Loyola College was founded as an offshoot of the Collège Ste. Marie, to conduct classical and philosophical courses in English. Its first home was at the southeast corner of St. Catherine and Bleury streets. Fire compelled these premises to be vacated and in 1898 it was transferred to 68 Drummond Street, hitherto known as Doctor Tucker’s School. In 1914 a large college at Notre Dame de Grace is being built to be the future home of the Loyola college.
The next educational venture was the foundation of the Ecole de Médicine et de Chirurgie, founded in 1843 and incorporated in March, 1845.
This was followed by the foundation of a school of law on May 1, 1851. It was named the Ecole de Droit and was conducted under the deanship of the M. Maximilien Bibaud, LL. D., doctor in civil and canon law, the classes being held at the Collège de Ste. Marie.
In 1876 the Seminary of Philosophy had become a separate body from the Grand Seminary of Theology, but into which the students graduated after three years of scholastic philosophy. The superiors of the Seminaire de Philosophie have been:
Isaie Marie Charles Lecoq, 1876-1880; Jules Claude Delavigne, 1880-1900; Louis Marie Lepoupon, 1900.
These elements as chronologically stated were then ready to be correlated into a university as a branch of the Laval University already established at Quebec since 1852. In 1876 in consequence of the petition of Mgr. Bourget, then bishop of Montreal, the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda ordered its establishment at Montreal. It was recognized by the civil law of the province of Quebec in 1881.
In 1878 the schools of law and theology already described as existing were inaugurated, to be followed in 1879 by that of medicine also already organized. In 1887 the faculty of arts was added.
The Apostolic Constitution “Jam dudum” of Leo XIII, of February 2, 1889, obtained through M. Colin, the superior of the seminary of St. Sulpice, and Archbishop Fabre, gave the administrative body at Montreal its practical autonomy under a vice rector, while still requiring its degrees to be conferred through the council of the University of Laval at Quebec.
The inauguration of the university buildings on St. Denis Street took place on October 8, 1895.
The main building of the university, which was largely raised through the generosity of the Sulpicians, who have always patronized forward movements in education, may be described as follows:
The style of architecture of the building is a modern adaptation of the Renaissance. It has been devised for the use of two faculties for the present, with room for the general administration. The cellar contains, as is usual in such structures, all the necessary appliances, and in the most recent and approved styles, for steam-heating, electric and gas-lighting. The ground floor is occupied by lecture rooms, museums of anatomy and the library of the School of Comparative Medicine and Veterinary Science, and it has also large recreation and club rooms, a large and commodious reading room for students, and the janitor’s quarters. The first floor is devoted to the Law Faculty, the reception parlors, the rector’s apartments, and a suite of study rooms for the professors. There are on this floor two amphitheatres, with a capacity of two hundred to three hundredseats respectively, for the use of the Law Faculty. The Peristyle, which is an imposing feature of the exterior, leads to this story. The second floor is entirely occupied by the Faculty of Medicine, and contains a general professor’s parlour, laboratories and lecture rooms, also a library, and quarters for the treasurer and secretary of the Faculty. The finest rooms are perhaps a large laboratory of histology, perfectly lighted, and provided with modern apparatus for the practical teaching of normal and morbid histology. The amphitheatre of the primary course, can accommodate 300 students. It can be put into direct connection with the laboratory of chemistry. The amphitheatre for the final course accommodates 400 students. The Promotion Hall (third story) has a seating capacity of nearly two thousand and has been much used of late for public lectures. It is profusely lighted by electricity, and the day light is also abundant. Its acoustic and visual qualities are perfect. The proscenium is so constructed that it can be used for concerts and other spectacular performances by the students. Six large rooms, averaging 35 × 50 feet, are reserved for museums and for collections of documents. The amphitheatre of anatomy, accommodating 300 students, is in the last story and in connection with the dissecting room, which is very spacious. The disposal of the rooms, stairways, elevator, lavatories, and, other necessary conveniences is very good, and there is not a single room in the whole building which is not well-lighted. The architecture of the interior is very simple, but quite effective, especially that of the Promotion Hall.
There are affiliated with it several colleges and schools: the Ecole Polytechnique, l’Ecole de Medicine, Comparee et de Science vétérinaire de Montreal, l’Ecole de Chirurgie Dentaire, l’Ecole de Pharmacie Laval, l’Institut Agricole d’Oka, l’Institut des Frères Maristes et l’Institut des Frères de l’Instruction Chrétienne, l’Institut des Frères de Sainte-Croix, the arts and philosophical courses at St. Marys, Loyola and other classical colleges and seminaries, as well as the College of Higher Education for Young Women, conducted in French and English at the Mother House of the Congregation on Sherbrooke Street.
The faculty of theology is constituted by the Grand Seminary which was established in 1840. Its courses last for three years and three months with a further six months for those preparing for the doctorate. A great number of the students who come from all quarters to this faculty, after having taken their courses at Montreal proceed to Rome to the now famous Canadian College, which is an offshoot of the Grand Seminaire of Montreal, being founded in 1888 through the labours of M. Colin, who was superior of the Sulpicians at Montreal from 1881 to 1902. In connection with this latter faculty may be mentioned the Seminary of Philosophy which has been a separate body since 1876.
While the medical faculty of McGill saved the fortunes of that university from extinction, it is to the credit of the pioneers of the medical faculty of the Montreal branch of Laval University that the university movement received its inception. Before its establishment a body of the medical men who had retired from their connection with the medical faculty of the University of Coburg agitated for the foundation of an independent university in the city. Among these were Dr. Rottot, Brosseau, La Marche and E. Persillier-Lachapelle, who acted as the secretary. On approaching the gentlemen of the seminary it was pointed out that it would be unwise and also against prearranged conditions to establish a rival university to that of Laval at Quebec, but that a branch waspossible. This solved the difficulty and the necessary steps were taken. The first medical faculty of Laval at Montreal, soon to be formed, was composed of Dr. Rottot as dean, with Drs. E. Persillier-Lachapelle, La Marche, Brosseau, Desrosiers, Berthelot, Fafard, Filiatrault, Duval, Foucher, Bienvenu and others.
Among the first members of the faculty of law was Mr. C.S. Cherrier, Hon. J.P.O. Chauveau, Sir Louis Jetté, Sir Alexander Lacoste, Judge Alphonse Ouimet and Sir H. Archambault.
The dean of the faculty of Science and Belles Lettres was the Abbé Colin.
The faculty of medicine is a continuation of the L’Ecole de Medicine et de Chirurgie de Montreal (the Alma Mater of our older Montreal physicians) founded in 1843 and incorporated in 1845, affiliated at first to the Victoria University of Coburg, in Ontario, and from which it received its degrees up to 1890. At this time the above medical school received a modified charter from the government of Quebec and was allied to the faculty of medicine of the University of Laval, with which it forms today one body.
The faculty of Medicine is installed with that of Law in the main building on St. Denis Street. There are large lecture halls and sectional libraries. The Faculty of Medicine has an addition, a dissecting hall and laboratories for chemistry, histology, bacteriology, therapeutical electricity, etc.
The faculty of arts has not yet reached its fullest development. As scientific and literary instruction which form the ordinary courses of this faculty in English universities is carried out by the classical colleges and petit seminaires, affiliated to Laval University, in which students may obtain the degrees of Bachelor of Letters, of science and of arts, it is unnecessary for the university itself to undertake full instruction of this nature.
Three courses are, however, given in the faculty. The first, that of French literature, founded in 1898 by the late M. l’Abbé Colin, superior of the seminary of St. Sulpice, in Montreal, is entrusted to a Fellow of the University of Paris. The second course is upon public ecclesiastical law and the third is upon aesthetics and the history of art. The other professors, whether ecclesiastics or laymen, of the faculty of arts, conduct the regular courses in the colleges affiliated with the university, in addition to which they occasionally give public lectures in the university itself. The library of the faculty contributes generously to the intellectual development of the students and the public in general. Large annual expenditures secure for it the best current publications. The higher education of women is encouraged by this faculty through the “Ecole d’Enseignement Supérieur pourlles Jeunes Filles” which has its courses in the handsome college on Sherbrooke Street in the Mother House of the Congregation of Notre Dame, founded by Marguerite Bourgeoys, the first teacher in Montreal. It was opened on October 8, 1908, under the presidency of the vice rector of Laval University. The following sections are taught in French and in English by university professors and the ladies of the Congregation: letters, science, arts, commerce and domestic economy. These lead up to a degree in the faculty of arts. Already this school for the higher education of women has shown very substantial results.
Another arm of the faculty of arts has been established in certain congregations of brothers where a university course has been organized modeled on the French system of modern secondary education. The Marist Brothers were the first congregation affiliated on December 15, 1909, being followed later by the Brothersof Christian Instruction of Montreal and the Brothers of the Cross of Jesus of the diocese of Rimouski. In 1912, the same privilege was granted to the Brothers of Holy-Cross.
SCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: School of DentistrySCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: School of Dentistry
SCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: School of Dentistry
SCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: Agricultural School at OkaSCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: Agricultural School at Oka
SCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: Agricultural School at Oka
SCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: Polytechnic SchoolSCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: Polytechnic School
SCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: Polytechnic School
SCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: School of TheologySCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: School of Theology
SCHOOLS AFFILIATED WITH LAVAL UNIVERSITY: School of Theology
The school of Dental Surgery, which is a continuation of the French section of the Dentistry College of the province of Quebec, founded in 1894, was affiliated to the university of Laval in February, 1904, and obtained its civil status from the legislature in May of the same year. This school, which is intended primarily for young French Canadians, was rendered necessary by the rapid progress which has been made latterly in dental surgery. It started relying solely on its own resources and upon the devotion of its professors. It has grown rapidly and its courses annually attract a certain number of students from Europe. Instruction covers a period of four years and leads to the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. The theoretical courses, clinics and demonstrations are given in the spacious buildings opened on St. Hubert Street in 1913. In it are also magnificent operating rooms with dental chairs and thoroughly equipped laboratories. The infirmary in the same building is open every day from 9 A.M. till noon, and in it those who cannot afford to pay the full fee are treated by competent practitioners at rates merely sufficient to reimburse the institution for the cost of material supplied.
The Laval School of Pharmacy, incorporated by a special act of the legislature of Quebec, adopted on March 9, 1906, was affiliated to the university in the same year, on May 11th. It aims to give instruction in and to promote all branches of pharmaceutical science. The school is entitled to grant university degrees. The courses are given in the university buildings and last from the beginning of October to the beginning of April. What corresponds in American universities to the faculty of applied science is conducted by the “Ecole Polytechnique” which was founded in 1874. A department of architecture was added in 1908. This school has been annexed to the faculty of arts since 1887. It has been generously subsidized by the provincial government and the principal railway companies. It prepares students for the several branches of civil and industrial engineering, such as public roads, railways, mechanical and mining engineering, bridge-building and metal construction. The Polytechnic is housed on St. Denis Street in large buildings suited to its special needs, in which an equipment admirably adapted to scientific training, both theoretical and practical, places it in the front rank of similar institutions.
The School of Comparative Medicine and Veterinary Science which was installed in 1913 in a handsome building on De Montigny Street has existed since 1886. Although affiliated with the university it is under the control and subject to the inspection of the minister of agriculture of the Quebec government, from which it receives a subsidy. The courses extend over three years and lead to a doctorate. It includes numerous clinics, which are held at the infirmary of the school. The school possesses fine lecture rooms, an interesting pathological museum, a laboratory of bacteriology, a laboratory of chemistry and other departments. The number of students who are almost all from the province of Quebec is as yet small, but it is increasing inasmuch as farmers are beginning to understand the value of the services which well trained veterinary surgeons can render them.
The science of agriculture is provided by the university through the Agricultural Institute at Oka, which was affiliated to Laval University on March 26, 1908.It had, however, been in existence for several years, its regular activities dating from March 8, 1893, when it was opened by the Trappist Fathers of Notre Dame du Lac at the request, and with the liberal support, of the provincial government. Under the more modest name of the School of Agriculture it had been increasingly successful until, during the winter of 1907, it was completely reorganized, its equipment was modernized and improved and its courses of study extended. In addition to a preparatory course lasting for one year the Institute offers a three-years’ course leading to academic degrees. Special instruction, which includes several partial courses, has also been arranged for in favour of persons who are prevented from taking the full regular courses. The Institute is liberally provided with books, museums and laboratories. The grounds cover an area of 1,800 acres and are situated about thirty miles from Montreal on the Lake of the Two Mountains.
All the faculties and schools above mentioned enjoy great liberty of initiative and action in everything which concerns their regular internal regulations and their courses of study. The archibishop of Montreal in his quality as vice-chancellor, controls the appointment and removal of professors and exercises general supervision in matters of doctrine and discipline. He is ex-officio president of the administrative board, which holds the university properties and directs its finances. The suffragan bishops of the ecclesiastical province of Montreal, representatives and affiliated seminaries of the same province, representatives of faculties and of graduates, also have a seat in this body, which, as a general rule, acts through the board of governors, composed of eminent financiers and professional men. A vice rector, chosen by the bishops of the province of Montreal, represents the university’s council, the administrative board and the board of governors in matters of discipline and general administration. An executive committee, appointed by the latter board, assists him in regard to current financial questions.
The following statistics for 1912-1913 will give an idea of the activities of the Montreal Branch University of Laval:
NOTE
Looking through the prize lists of scholars from 1773 to 1803 the following names are found which will interest English readers, the spelling being retained as found, latinized or wrongly spelt: 1773, Aeneas McDonnell, Franciscus Mackaye; 1776, Aeneas MagDonelle, Jacobus MagDonelle, Franciscus Mackaye, Hugonus MagDonelle; 1775, Samuel Mackaye, John Mackay; 1779, Joannes Mackaye; 1780, Joannes Jones; 1783, Laurentius Sylvain;41790, Benjamin Kery; 1791, Petrus Christy, Nicholaus Hamilton; 1792, Patricius Smith, Nicholaus Hamilton; 1793, Bernardus Bender, Franciscus Bender, J. Baptista O’Sullivan; 1794, Franciscus Bender, Nicholaus Hamilton, Gulielmus Sheppard, Joannes Dease, Gulielmus Green, Carolus Davis, Paulus Green, Joannes Spearman; 1796, Gulielmus Sheppard, Gulielmus Fleming, Jacobus Taylor, Carolus Daly, J. Baptista Connolly, Gulielmus Selby, Joannes Pickle, Richardus Dillon; 1797, Joannes O’Sullivan, Gulielmus Fleming, Carolus Daly, Lazarus Hays, Jacobus Stephenson, Jacobus Milloy, Jacobus Fleming, Richardus Dillon; 1798, Hubertus Heney, Gulielmus Fleming, Gulielmus Connoly, Gulielmus Wallace, Jacobus Robinson, Joannes Turner, Jacobus Milloy,—— Macdonell, Joannes Pickle, Samuel Hughes, Joannes Reeves, Gulielmus Reeves, Gulielmus Dalton; 1799, Ignatius Macdonald, Gulielmus Fleming, Carolus Daly, Jacobus Milloy, Thomas Seers, Jacobus Macdonald, Gulielmus Hale, Joannes Turner, Gulielmus Reeves, Hugo Henry, Jacobus Fleming, Joannes Pickle, Joannes Gordon, Gulielmus Wallace, Joannes Burk; 1800, Ignatius Macdonald, Hugo Heney, Jacobus Milloy, Jacobus Fleming, Allan Macdonald, Franciscus Grant, Henricus Hybart, Gulielmus Seers, Ignatius Macdonald, Ludovicus Maccoy, Joannes Turner, Franciscus Liemont, Alexander McEnnis, Eduardus Cartwright, Richardus McEnnis, FredericusLehn, Jacobus MacDonald; 1801, Ignatius MacDonald, Gulielmus Selby, Hugo Heney, Ludovicus Willcoks, Hugo Fraser, James Molloy, Guillelmus Seer, Alexander McEnnis, Joannes Gordon, Eustachius Maccoy, Richardus Ennis, Jacobus Muir, Joannes Reeves, Ludovicus Maccoy, Eduardus Sterns; 1802, Ignatius McDonel, Hugo Fraser, Nicholaus Power, Alexander McEnnis, Gulielmus Reeves, Guillelmus Murry, Georgius Gordon, Adrian Dow, Zephyrimus Kimbert, Guillelmus Clark, Samuel White, Flavianus Fison, Edwardus Kenderson, Josephus White, Arturius Kenderson, Joannes Wallace; 1803, Hugo Heney, Michael O’Sullivan, Nicholaus Power, Renatus Josephus Kimbert, Guillaume Hall, Richardus Macgennis, Guillelmus Reeves, Guillaume Murray, Henry Fison, Guillaume Clark, Adrien Dow, Jean Wallace, David Flynn, George Gordon, Edouard Henderson; 1804, Michael O’Sullivan, Ignatius McDonald, Renatus Kimber, Joannes McDonald, Guillaume Murry, Richard McGenis, Guillaume Reeves, Edouard Kenderson, Charles Smallwood, Robert Magenis, Guillaume Belcher, Jean Larkin; 1805, Renatus Joseph Kimber, Nicholaus Power, Howard Tillotson; 1806, Arthur Kenderson, Christin Deeze, Henri Conneloi, Edouard Kenderson.
FOOTNOTES: